时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:07] | Come by tonight. We can not talk some more. | 今晚过来吧 我们可以继续不说话 |
[00:09] | Her mother wants to take her back to New Hampshire for a while. | 她母亲想把她带回新汉普郡呆一段时间 |
[00:12] | -What do you think? -I think her mom is right. | -你怎么看? -我认为她母亲是对的 |
[00:14] | You’re gonna have to handle things for me a little while longer. | Amy,你还会为我工作一段时间 |
[00:16] | I trust you. That’s why I hired you. | 我信任你 这也是我雇你的原因 |
[00:18] | You’re not willing to toss it overboard to win. | 你并不是在为了获胜而竭尽全力… |
[00:21] | You’re willing to toss it overboard to avoid disappointing Leo. | 你竭尽全力为的只是不让leo失望 |
[00:29] | -Come on. We created 9 million jobs. -We’ve created no jobs. | -嘿 Toby 我们创造了9百万个就业机会 -我们没有创造就业机会 |
[00:34] | There’s lots of ways of looking at the numbers– | 那要看你用什么方法解读这些数据 |
[00:36] | Work for an economist, he’ll tell you. | 经济学家会告诉你… |
[00:39] | Government doesn’t create jobs, business creates jobs. | 政府不能创造就业机会 市场才创造就业机会 |
[00:41] | -They did it on our watch. -Your point? | -那要在我们的监管之下才行 -你想说什么? |
[00:43] | This calendar is every event, every speech the president’s gonna give. | 这个日程表是总统下3个月将要处理 的大事和演讲… |
[00:47] | Talk about economic accomplishments. | 你甚至不愿意拿其中的一天来 谈谈经济成就? |
[00:49] | -Not when we’re losing jobs. -Put that on a bumper sticker. | -不在失业率增加的时候 -所以就避而不谈? |
[00:52] | You don’t talk about economic accomplishments in a lousy economy. | 不景气的时候你不能谈什么经济成就 |
[00:56] | -We put it in a context. -Don’t want people saying: | -我们可以换个说法… -我不想听到别人说… |
[00:59] | “Hey, thanks for the jobs. I’ve got three, and I can’t make my house payments. “ | “喂,谢谢你创造的900万个工作 我曾得 到过其中3个 但还是付不起房贷” |
[01:03] | Fridays. We don’t have any events on Fridays. | 星期五怎么样? 星期五我们没有安排 |
[01:06] | -Fridays don’t count. -Why not? | -星期五不行 -为什么? |
[01:07] | No one watches the Friday evening news, no one reads the Saturday papers. | 没人看星期五晚上的新闻 没有人读星期六的报纸 |
[01:11] | No presidential events on Fridays. | 总统在礼拜五从来都没有安排 |
[01:13] | I can think of a few assignment editors who’d resent that remark. | 可以想象那些制定日程表的人 一定不喜欢这样的评论 |
[01:17] | -Nothing on Fridays. -You don’t need my input. | -礼拜五不行 -你不需要我的意见… |
[01:19] | I’m gonna go home. | …那我就回家了 |
[01:24] | This is how we get past crisis-of-the-hour. | 这就是我们度过危机的方法… |
[01:27] | Seize the agenda again. | 重新检查一次日程表 |
[01:28] | I’m gonna have nightmares about color-coded six-day weeks… | 我会因为这五颜六色的日程表 而作噩梦的… |
[01:31] | -…with no accomplishments. -You need to learn. | -…而上面还是一无所成 -你还需要学习 |
[01:34] | I need to see my bed. | 我只想看到我的床 |
[01:36] | I’m thinking about carrying a picture of it in my wallet. | 我要考虑一下在我钱包里 装一张我的床的照片了 |
[01:39] | We’ve barely had a message since the campaign… | 大选以后 公众就听不到我们的声音了 |
[01:42] | …let alone since Zoey. | 更别说zoey那件事之后了 |
[01:45] | This is your life the next three months. | 这就是你未来3个月的生活 |
[01:48] | Seven-four-three-one. Is that in the OEOB? | 7-4-3-1 那不是老行政办公楼么? |
[01:51] | -I’ll drop you in Dupont Circle. -Okay. | -我在Dupont转盘放你下车 -好的 |
[01:55] | You think we should tout economic accomplishment? | 你觉得我们应该多吹吹经济成就? |
[01:57] | -I do. -Politics isn’t about past performance. | -是的 -政治不是谈过去的成就… |
[02:00] | It’s “What have you done for me lately and where’s my Turtle Wax?” | 而是”你最近为老百姓干了什么? 我的日常用品你能提供吗?” |
[02:03] | I’d better return this. | 我最好还是回这个电话 |
[02:05] | It’s someone looking for one of your jobs. | 是有人来跟你要你创作的 工作机会来了 |
[02:08] | See you tomorrow. | 明天见 |
[02:11] | Hi, it’s Will Bailey. | 嗨 我是will bailey |
[02:24] | -Are you Will Bailey? -I could be. I mean, yes. | -你是will bailey? -我可能是哦^_^ 是的我是 |
[02:28] | He elected the dead guy. | 他就是给死人拉选票的那个家伙 |
[02:29] | -He did the hard part. -What was that? | -是他做了最困难的那部分工作 -是什么? |
[02:32] | -Dying. -Is that a joke? | -死呗 -你在讲笑话吗? |
[02:33] | Not really, no. Am I in the right place? | 不是的 我没走错地方吧? |
[02:35] | -Thanks for coming on short notice. -Mr. Vice President. | -谢谢你这么快赶来 will -副总统先生 |
[02:38] | -Drink? -Anything with caffeine. | -喝点什么? -带咖啡因的都可以 |
[02:40] | -Sir, I wanna say again– -Forget about the speech. | -先生我想再解释一下… -别再提演讲稿的事了 |
[02:43] | -Thank you. -I admire speechwriters. | -谢谢 -我很钦佩写讲稿的人 |
[02:45] | They need the tendency to doubt and the capacity to believe in equal measure. | 他们必须怀疑一切 同时又具备相信一切的能力 |
[02:51] | -Why am I here, sir? -You’re the president’s voice. | -先生 您找我有什么事? -你是总统的代言人 |
[02:54] | -You don’t think I have an interest? -At 12: 15 on a weeknight, no. | -你不认为我对这个兴趣? -在礼拜天晚上12:15分?不 |
[02:58] | I have to work longer hours, I’m playing with a handicap. | 我还要再工作几小时 一切看起来都困难重重 |
[03:01] | Spare tire on the automobile of government. | 我只是政府的备用轮胎 |
[03:04] | Heartbeat away from having a heartbeat. | 哀兵必胜 |
[03:06] | The story of the two brothers. One went to sea, one became vice president. | 两兄弟的故事 一个当了水手 一个成了副总统 |
[03:10] | -Neither was heard from again. -That’s new. | -两人从此失去联系 -新故事 |
[03:12] | I need more help than that dead guy you got elected in Orange County. | 我需要你 比那个橘子郡的死人更需要你 |
[03:16] | -I need some political life support myself. -I’m afraid I don’t follow. | -我需要有一些对我有利的从政经历 -我不大明白您的意思 |
[03:19] | I’d like you to be my communications director. | 我希望你成为我的通讯主管 |
[03:23] | First senior hire in the White House. | 白宫中的一等高级幕僚 |
[03:25] | -I’m flattered, but– -You don’t think I’m politician enough. | -我很荣幸 但是… -你认为我还不够资格作个政客? |
[03:28] | -I didn’t say that. -Play baseball coach a moment. | -我不是这个意思 -假设你是个棒球教练 |
[03:30] | Two players run to first. They have the same time. | 两个人奔向1垒 花的时间一样 |
[03:33] | One has perfect form, the other, lousy form. Which do you pick? | 一个动作完美 另一个跑得很恶心 你会挑哪个? |
[03:37] | -The one with lousy form. -Teach him the right form– | -跑得恶心的那个 -教他正确的动作… |
[03:39] | -He beats the other guy. Neat analogy. -I know I’m not the best politician. | -他一定会战胜另一个, 精彩的比喻 -我知道我不是最好的政客 |
[03:43] | But I am vice president of the United States. | 但我现在是美国副总统 |
[03:46] | Imagine what we can do when you teach me the right form. | 想象一下如果你教给我 正确的动作后 我们能干什么 |
[03:48] | Sir, I’m special assistant to the president. | 先生 我是总统特别助理 |
[03:51] | Chief strategist and senior counselor to the vice president. | 副总统的首席战略专家 资深顾问 |
[03:54] | -Are we playing poker? -I’m showing you my hand. | -我们在玩心理战? -这是我的底牌了 |
[03:57] | You’re looking for your own Toby Ziegler. | 你在找你自己的toby ziegler |
[03:59] | I’m looking for someone who can beat Toby to first. | 我在找能打败toby的人 |
[04:04] | -Thank you, sir, but I’m not interested. -I like loyalty. I respect loyalty. | -谢谢你 先生 但是我不感兴趣 -我喜欢忠诚 我尊重忠诚 |
[04:08] | But you can run out the clock on a Bartlet presidency… | 你完全可以在bartlet的任期内 就飞黄腾达… |
[04:11] | …that, politically speaking, is over. | ..而不用再去爬格子了 |
[04:13] | You can finish something you never started. | 你能完成一些你从未做过的事情 |
[04:16] | You can run around those little hallways until Toby turns out the lights. | 要么在toby下台前 继续在他那儿混混… |
[04:21] | Or you can shape the next presidency from the ground up. | …要么你也可以选择从头开始 准备下一个总统任期 |
[04:24] | Total access. Coach of the team. | 全权负责 作队伍的教练 |
[04:29] | Of course, I understand if you’re not interested. | 当然了 如果你不愿意我也理解 |
[05:49] | Did you read it? | 读过了么? |
[05:51] | I’m now reading it. There’s some new stuff since the early edition. | 正在读比先前版本多了些新东西 |
[05:54] | -Great piece. -It’s a puff piece… | -棒极了 -太夸张了 |
[05:56] | …so I’ll return the guy’s calls, which I won’t. | 所以我不得不给那些人回电话了 |
[05:59] | “A one-man Congressional majority. Bartlet’s legislative juggernaut. “ | “一言堂” “barlet的立法机关是一言堂” |
[06:03] | It’s an embarrassment. You should steal everyone’s copies. | 这真尴尬 你应该在别人读之前把全部偷回来 |
[06:06] | -And burning them on the South Lawn. -I’m serious. | -然后在南草坪上烧掉? -我是认真的 |
[06:08] | -Save one for my mom. -She’ll be proud of her little birthday boy. | -给我妈妈留一份 -她会为她的小寿星骄傲的 |
[06:12] | Look, Donna, no gifts, no parties, just another day, okay? | 嘿!donna 不要送礼物 不要搞晚会 跟正常时候一样 好不好? |
[06:16] | -A coffee and… . -Yeah, with a thing. | -咖啡和什么 -嗯 加点… |
[06:19] | Senior staff in five minutes, Ward Room at 7:45. | 资深官员5分钟后 在沃德厅集合 |
[06:24] | You’re not wearing a tie. | 你没打领带 |
[06:27] | Like your suit, though. Liked it when you wore it yesterday too. | 这套西装不错 昨天穿着它的时候也不错 |
[06:31] | Speaker’s trying to roll us again on stimulus. | 议长想在刺激议案上再跟我们捣鬼一次 |
[06:34] | This story about me sending a congressman a dead fish… | 这条消息说我给一个议员送了一条死鱼 |
[06:38] | -…the Post get this from you? -No. | -是你说出去的么? -不是 |
[06:42] | -Coffee and a… . -Yeah. | -咖啡和… -嗯 |
[06:44] | Great piece in the Post. | 邮报新闻人物 |
[06:46] | Your clipping service must be busy today. | 帮你剪报的今天一定很忙吧 |
[06:49] | Why, was there something in the paper? | 怎么了 报上有什么消息 |
[06:52] | 101 st senator. Is that like being the fifth Beatle? | 第101位参议员 这和第5位披头士是不是很像 |
[06:55] | Yeah, I was the one who played sitar and made procedural changes. | 是的 我是在程序上做了点手脚 |
[06:59] | So listen, Mr. Rip-Up-the-Constitution- and-Behold-My-Awesome-Powers. | 听着 无视宪法的狂妄先生 |
[07:03] | -I’ve got a meeting. -Mr. Cloture-Motions-Flow-Like-Blood… | -我要去开会了 -像血液一样奔流的先生… |
[07:06] | …Through-My-Gavel-Wielding-Veins. | …穿过我挥舞着槌的静脉 |
[07:08] | -Okay, I don’t think veins wield gavels. -HHS Appropriations. | -好吧 我不认为你的静脉有这个胆子 -HHS(卫生福利部)的拨款… |
[07:12] | What about HHS Appropriations? | HHS的拨款怎么了 |
[07:14] | How far under budget cap was our submission? | 离我们能妥协的预算差多少? |
[07:17] | Get that from Legislative Affairs. | 去问立法机关 |
[07:19] | -I’m getting it from you. -Josh, nice piece. | -我要问你 -josh 大新闻啊 |
[07:21] | If the first lady’s got some budget requests, run it through the process. | 如果第一夫人想左右预算 请按程序来 |
[07:25] | The first lady’s got nothing. | 第一夫人什么也不想 |
[07:27] | Because our budget’s locked, and she’s a sensitive topic around here. | 我们的预算已经定死了 她最近又是敏感人物 |
[07:30] | Or not around here, as the case may be. | 或者根本不在这里 象这件预算案一样 |
[07:34] | -It’s nothing, Josh. -Nothing’s nothing. | -这只是小事情 Josh -政坛无小事 |
[07:37] | I’ll get it from Legislative Affairs. | 我会去立法机关那想办法 |
[07:40] | Don’t. Come on. | 别这样 |
[07:47] | -Nice profile. -I didn’t talk to them. | -口碑不错哦 josh -我甚至没跟他们谈过 |
[07:50] | Hats off to the Jewish-Connecticut Corleone. | 向康涅狄格的犹太corleone致敬 (电影《教父》里的黑手党) |
[07:52] | I’m still trying to make the cover of Jane’s Defence Weekly. | 我还在努力想让简氏防御周刊 给我也作个封面 |
[07:55] | -That fish story, you guys– -Let’s talk about the DNC poll. | -哎 那件关于死鱼的事… -我们说说民主党的民调吧 |
[07:58] | We got the first half sample. | 我拿到了一半样本 |
[08:00] | President’s job approval’s down to 49 percent. | 总统的工作认可度下降到了49% |
[08:03] | Abbey’s 11 points higher. | abbbey的却高出11个百分点 |
[08:05] | Personal approval’s separate from job performance. | 个人支持率是与工作表现无关的 |
[08:08] | But “strong leader” is down, “handling of economy,” way down. | 但”领导系数”下降了 “经济调控系数”也正在下降 |
[08:11] | People don’t feel safe with what’s going on, don’t feel economically secure. | 人们对正在发生的事情缺乏安全感 对经济也缺乏安全感 |
[08:15] | Republicans are pounding us, and people don’t think the president’s leading. | 共和党人在攻击我们 人民认为总统现在不在其位 |
[08:19] | They love him at a barbecue, not so much with launch codes. | 任命喜欢参加烧烤会的他 而不是握有导弹发射密码的他 |
[08:23] | We didn’t vote down the stimulus package. | 我们不否决经济刺激方案 |
[08:25] | Our job’s to get that message out. | 我们的工作是要让人民知道我们在干吗 |
[08:27] | And we’re gonna do this like in the campaigns. | 就像我们在选举的时候那样去做 |
[08:29] | Toby’s working a message calendar. When the president signs off… | toby正在准备一个消息发布日历 总统一旦批准… |
[08:33] | …we treat it like it’s chiseled stone. No lurching from issue to issue… | …我们就要严格遵守 不要在政策之间摇摆不定 |
[08:37] | …no more governors’ brother-in-laws’ bar mitzvahs driving the schedule. | ..不要再有州长“妹夫”之类丑闻 来阻碍我们的进程 |
[08:41] | Just our positive message, opportunity and security, one day at a time. | 只需要正面的消息 机遇和安全 每天重复一次 |
[08:45] | Except Fridays. | 除了礼拜五 |
[08:47] | What? | 什么? |
[08:49] | 217 military promotions that were supposed to pass the Senate last night. | 昨天晚上有217项军官晋升要通过 参议院的表决… |
[08:53] | -What about them? -A senator put them on anonymous hold. | -怎么了? -一个参议员 匿名扣住了 |
[08:56] | -A hold? On military promotions? -It’s Carrick. | -扣住?扣住军官晋升? -是Carrick |
[08:59] | Why would a conservative Democrat block military promotions? | 为什么一个保守派民主党人会阻挠 军官晋升? |
[09:02] | He threatened it last week when he stiffed us on the stimulus package. | 他上个礼拜在阻挠我们的 经济刺激计划的时候就威胁过 |
[09:05] | -So much for opportunity and security. -A fight in our party over the military. | -机会和安全考虑好像已经太多了 -民主党和军队的一场较量 |
[09:09] | -It’s not gonna be a fight. I got this one. -No, I’ll handle it. | -不会打起来的 我去处理 -我会处理的 |
[09:13] | Thanks, everybody. | 谢谢大家 |
[09:17] | I can handle Carrick. | 我能对付Carrick |
[09:19] | -The president’s ready in the Residence. -It’s not a thing. | -总统在住所那边准备好了 -没什么 |
[09:22] | You’re a little hot after last week. I wanna be sure– | 你比上个礼拜更出风头了 我想确定一下… |
[09:25] | This is what I do. You got time to wrangle a senator on the Hill? | 这是我的工作 你有时间在国会山 去和参议员争论吗? |
[09:28] | Okay. Thanks. Hey. I got a message from Legislative Affairs. | 是的 谢谢 嗨 立法机关那里有消息了 |
[09:32] | HHS Appropriations. For some reason, they’re reopening the bill. | 卫生福利部的拨款 不知为什么他们重开了议案 |
[09:36] | HHS Appropriations? | 卫生福利部的拨款? |
[09:37] | -You know about this? -No. No, I don’t. | -你知道这事? -不 我不知道 |
[09:41] | I’ll call them. It’s probably nothing. | 我给他们打个电话 可能没什么事 |
[09:43] | Yeah, it’s probably nothing. | 是啊 可能没什么事 |
[09:45] | -Donna, I need Amy. -What’s wrong? | -donna 我要见amy -怎么了? |
[09:47] | Just– I need Amy. | 我就是要见amy |
[09:50] | -Morning, Mr. President. -What’s with the Belgian elections? | -早上好 总统先生 -比利时的选举出了什么事? |
[09:53] | -Is this a riddle? -The intelligence briefing. | -你在玩猜谜? -情报部门的简报! |
[09:56] | The anti-immigrationists are gaining, doesn’t say why or how. | 简报说反移民组织在做大 但又没说具体 |
[09:59] | -You want more on the Flemish Bloc. -I want a CIA briefer here in person. | -你想进一步了解这个新纳粹组织? -我需要CIA派人每早当面向我汇报 |
[10:03] | -Why’d I get this on paper? -You never have briefers in quarters. | -而我现在只是在看报告 -你从没有岗位工作报告 |
[10:06] | -That was Abbey’s rule. -Yes. | -那是abbey订的规矩 -是的 |
[10:08] | -What’s next? -Budget review at 9. | -下面干什么? -9点的预算报告 |
[10:10] | Toby needs you to sign off… | toby需要你签署那个 消息发布日程表… |
[10:12] | -…on the message calendar. -Can’t let this sit. | -又来了 -不能在等了… |
[10:14] | It’s been months since we had a clear message. | 我们有几个月没有消息放出了 |
[10:17] | Months since we reduced a $2-trillion government to poll-tested bromides. | 从我们削减了2万亿美金的政府预算 用来做民意测验开始 |
[10:21] | You think James Madison ran his presidency off a message calendar? | 你认为james madison按日历来履行 他的总统任期么? |
[10:25] | -Probably. -Life on Mondays… | -可能 -周一民生 周二… |
[10:27] | …liberty, Wednesdays, shaking off the yoke of the monarch… | ..争取自由,周三 挣脱君主制枷锁.. |
[10:30] | …on alternate Thursdays. | ..周四 接着挣脱枷锁 |
[10:32] | Toby needs your okay this morning. | toby 需要你今早准备好 |
[10:34] | One more thing. HHS Appropriations. | 另外 卫生福利部的拨款 |
[10:36] | Remember our violence-prevention initiative? | 记得我们的预防暴力议案么? |
[10:39] | Republicans gutted it because domestic violence isn’t a public-health issue. | 共和党接受它是因为民主党 提出的不是一个公民健康议案 |
[10:43] | As if spousal abuse were part of the Atkins diet. | 好像配偶虐待在下面很常见一样 |
[10:46] | The Republicans just reopened the bill and added back every penny. | 共和党只需重开议案 重新讨论议案的每一分钱 |
[10:50] | Just like that. | 知道他们就会这么做 |
[10:52] | We’ll get you more on the Flemish thing. | 我会给你更多flemish组织的消息 |
[11:00] | Five minutes with Amy. | 见amy5分钟? |
[11:01] | Take 10, you’re over 21. | 10分钟吧 你过21岁了 |
[11:03] | -Post said you’re the 101 st senator. -I’m impressed. | 报纸说你是第101位参议员 我很吃惊 |
[11:07] | -You read headlines. -What’s that mean? | -你看了头条 -那是什么意思 |
[11:10] | I used to work in the Senate, I do Senate politics, I got some sway. | 我以前在参议院干过 我做参议院政策制定 我还有点人缘 |
[11:14] | -You sent a congressman a dead fish? -He tried to bottle up the fisheries bill. | -你给一个国会议员送了条死鱼? -他想冻结渔业拨款 |
[11:18] | -Is this an inquisition? -Glad it wasn’t a whaling bill. | -这是一个调查么? -很高兴不是一项捕鲸拨款 |
[11:21] | Gather up those profiles. Lord Bullingdon’s having a field day. | 从这些消息上看 bullingdon先生最近忙的挺痛快 |
[11:29] | -We had a rule today: No gifts. -Your birthday is not for you… | -我们今天有个规矩 不许送礼物 -你的生日不是为了你自己.. |
[11:32] | -…it’s for the rest of us. -How does that work, exactly? | -是为了我们其他人 -是什么意思? |
[11:36] | We get to eat cake and wear pointy little hats. | 我们准备吃蛋糕戴小尖帽了 |
[11:39] | Don’t tell. I don’t want one of those parties in the Indian Treaty Room… | 别说了 我不想要一个印度条约室里 那样的晚会 |
[11:42] | …where some guy drones on about how I saved the aquatic weed subsidy. | 那里有些家伙唠唠叨叨 说我怎么挽救了水草津贴 |
[11:46] | Amy doesn’t have time. | amy没时间 |
[11:47] | -I’m going to the Hill. -What’s on the Hill? | -叫她找时间 我要去国会 -那里有什么? |
[11:50] | Some buildings and a big statue. | 一些建筑和大雕像 |
[11:52] | I meant the meeting. | 我是说会议 |
[11:55] | You don’t get to know everything, okay? | 你不需要知道所有事情 好不好? |
[11:58] | This isn’t an all-access pass. You’re not backstage at a concert. | 这不是一张万能通行证 你不能在音乐会上呆在后台 |
[12:01] | -You ever been backstage? -No. | -你在后台呆过么? -没有 |
[12:03] | -It’s pretty great. -I want him sorting mail. | -那里不错 -叫这家伙整理邮件! |
[12:09] | When consumer confidence drops seven points instead of two– | “当消费者的信心下降了7个而不是 2个百分点的时候” ? |
[12:12] | That’s not why our poll numbers are down. | 这不是我们支持率下降的原因 |
[12:14] | -Ben again. -You can stop giving me his messages. | -又是ben在5线 -知道了 别再提了 |
[12:17] | Plus, Leo’s ready for the pre-brief. | 另外 leo准备好做简报了 |
[12:19] | -Who’s Ben? -A guy I lived with for six months. | -谁是ben? -一个跟我住过6个月的家伙 |
[12:22] | I didn’t know you lived with a guy. | 我不知道你还和男人住过 |
[12:24] | -There’s a lot you don’t know about me. -Like what? | -还有好多我的事你不知道呢 -比如呢? |
[12:27] | Well, that’s about it, really. | 好吧 就这一个 |
[12:30] | -You don’t want his calls? -Oh, if I take his call… | -你不想接他的电话? -噢 如果我接了他的电话 |
[12:33] | …it’d be great to hear his voice. | 当然会很高兴听到他的声音 |
[12:35] | He has this low, husky radio voice. | 他有低沉 沙哑的播音员声音 |
[12:38] | We’d swap memories, old jokes, pet names… | 我们然后就交流一下回忆 过去的笑话 宠物的名字 |
[12:41] | …and then it’s the frisky little e-mails, and pretty soon it’s, you know… | ..再后来就是发些活泼的电子邮件 不久就 … |
[12:46] | …a weekend in Little Washington and the late-night phone calls… | ..在华盛顿度个周末 深夜电话.. |
[12:49] | …and that’s when we start to get on each other’s nerves. | ..那就是我们彼此产生火花的时候 |
[12:53] | He has this thing where he twirls his hair and… . | 他捻头发的时候有种魅力.. |
[12:57] | The bloom’s off the rose, I don’t call as much… | 总之…青春不再了 我不怎么打电话了.. |
[13:00] | …and it’s the guilt and cherchez la femme… | ..而且有点罪恶感 好像 “怀疑那个女人”(法国电影)里说的… |
[13:02] | … “Why didn’t it work out?” and it’s years till we talk. | …然后几年才意识到… “为什么还没有结果” |
[13:06] | That was like a bad romantic comedy in 15 seconds. | 听起来像是一个15秒的糟糕爱情喜剧 |
[13:09] | Straight-to-video. | 还是电视里放的那种 |
[13:10] | -What are you getting from the gaggle? -Drop in consumer confidence. | -你都知道什么了? -消费者信心下降 |
[13:14] | Pivot to the stimulus package. | 以刺激方案为支点… |
[13:16] | New version comes out next week, give it back to Congress. | 新的版本下个礼拜出台 把它送回国会 |
[13:19] | Why is the president dragging his feet on naming a new chairman? | 为什么总统会砸自己的脚 去任命一个新的主席 |
[13:22] | The president’s making his decision… | 总统在做他该做的决定 |
[13:25] | -…one chairman at a time. -What else? | -..一次一个主席 -还有什么? |
[13:27] | Reuters has a report that we scrubbed two paragraphs from an EPA report. | 路透社有个报道说我们从EPA(环保署) 的报告里去掉了两段 |
[13:31] | -Scrubbed two paragraphs? -The EPA’s report on energy needs. | -去掉了两段报告? -环保署的能源需求报告 |
[13:34] | Reuters is saying the White House scrubbed language critical of coal. | 路透社说白宫把批评 煤炭使用的部分去掉了 |
[13:37] | What lackey tampers with an independent report? | 谁闲着没事篡改独立报告? |
[13:40] | You’re looking at him. | 你正看着那个人 |
[13:42] | I didn’t mean to… . | 我不是那个意思… |
[13:44] | Are we defending coal? | 我们要维护煤炭? |
[13:46] | Reuters has the original draft. | 路透社有原始的拷贝 |
[13:48] | We have to do a mea culpa, make it a one-day story. | 我们必须作个检讨 让这件事马上过去 |
[13:50] | We’re not. “The report will reflect administration views. “ | 我们不会出去检讨 “报告反应的是管理部门的观点” |
[13:54] | It’s not gonna fly if they have the draft. | 如果他们已经有了原始的拷贝 我们这么说站不住脚 |
[13:56] | “The report will reflect administration views,” that’s the line. | “报告反应的是管理部门的观点” 就这么说! |
[13:59] | What else? | 还有其它事么? |
[14:01] | Great. Thanks. | 好的 谢谢 |
[14:08] | You worried about that EPA thing? | 在为环保署的事情担心? |
[14:10] | I’m worried about anything that takes us off our new message. | 我担心所有会影响我们新消息的事情 |
[14:14] | Now that we’ve officially settled on our new message. | -看来那个就算是我们的新信息了 -没错 |
[14:17] | What’s our new message? | 什么是我们的新消息? |
[14:21] | -Some changes. -The president signed off. | -和昨天的不同? -总统已经签了 |
[14:24] | -I thought I’d have a chance to weigh in. -You’ll have a big role. | -我本认为我有机会加入… -你会成为主角的 |
[14:27] | Hand-coloring copies of the calendar? | 手绘彩色日历? |
[14:29] | You need to sit with the Labor secretary, Commerce secretary, vice president. | 你要和劳务部长 商务部长 还有副总统一起坐下来开会… |
[14:34] | Walk them through their economic speeches. | 听听他们的经济计划的意见 |
[14:36] | -That’s a bad idea. -We’ve been over this. | -这不是一个好主意 -我以为我们说好了的 |
[14:39] | If the president stumps for the stimulus package… | 如果总统在经济刺激议案上绊倒.. |
[14:41] | …Iook at the calendar, then the Labor secretary– | ..看看日历 然后劳工部长.. |
[14:43] | The vice president, we can’t pretend he’s a Cabinet flunky. | 我是说副总统 我们不能把他当个内阁走狗 |
[14:47] | Right. Cabinet flunkies have responsibilities. | 没错 就算内阁走狗都有职责 |
[14:49] | He’s a constitutional officer, get his input. | 他是个重要官员 让他发表… |
[14:51] | -I am not interested in his input. -What if he doesn’t like it? | -我对他的意见不感兴趣 -如果他要这么做呢? |
[14:55] | -You want me in the meeting? -No. | -我希望我参加会议? -不 |
[14:57] | Give him his assignment. I don’t care if he likes it. | 把任务给他 我不管他想不想 |
[14:59] | You work for the president, so does he. | 你为总统工作 他也是 |
[15:16] | -Mr. Lyman. -I get it. Idaho. That’s funny. | -lyman先生 -我知道了 爱达荷州 好玩 |
[15:19] | Do you have an appointment? | 你有预约么? |
[15:21] | No, but he’ll wanna see me. | 没有 但是他会见我的 |
[15:24] | Josh Lyman from the White House. | 白宫的josh lyman先生来了 |
[15:26] | Go on in. | 进去吧 |
[15:28] | I’m surprised the White House sent Senator Lyman. | 白宫把Lyman参议员派过来了 |
[15:31] | You can’t block military promotions. | 你不能阻挠军官晋升 我们昨天说好了的 |
[15:33] | We can’t have an intraparty fight when Republicans are thrashing us on security. | 现在共和党人在安全问题上攻击我们 这个时候我们不能出现党内争斗 |
[15:37] | Oh, I don’t wanna fight. | 哦 我不想争什么 |
[15:39] | These are career officers who’ve risked their lives in the Gulf, in Africa. | 这些是职业军官 他们冒着生命危险在中东和非洲作战 |
[15:43] | We’ll keep promises to our troops once we keep our promises to each other. | 只有我们自己彼此遵守诺言 我们才能对我们的军队兑现承诺 |
[15:47] | -What promises are those? -The MB-827 triple-missile launcher. | -什么诺言? -MB-827三管导弹发射器 |
[15:53] | MB-827? The MB-827. | |
[15:55] | To be built in my state of Idaho. | 应该在我的爱达荷州建立的 |
[15:58] | I’d like a signed letter of intent today. | 我希望今天收到一份签约书 |
[16:01] | -Senator. -Yes? | -参议员 -怎么了? |
[16:03] | -One problem with the MB-827 launcher. -What’s that? | -MB-827导弹发射器有些问题 -什么问题 |
[16:07] | It doesn’t work. | 它不管用! |
[16:09] | It’s a missile defense system that can’t hit missiles. | 这是一个打不中导弹的导弹防御系统 |
[16:12] | It’s a $270-million slingshot the Pentagon doesn’t want. | 这是一个2.7亿美金的 五角大楼不想要的大弹弓 |
[16:16] | Let’s talk about why you wanna build that launcher. | 我们来谈谈为什么 要建立这个导弹发射器 |
[16:19] | No, let’s talk about what you’re gonna do for our underpaid… | 我们来谈谈你准备为 我们那些工资过低… |
[16:23] | …under-promoted fighting men and women. | …准备晋升的大兵们做些什么 |
[16:25] | Not a damn thing till I get my launcher. | 除非我拿到我的导弹发射器 否则免谈 |
[16:28] | -And when were you promised we’d–? -Seven years ago. | -我们什么时候做出的这个承诺? -七年前 |
[16:32] | -Under the last president? -Right. | -上一届总统的决定? -是的 |
[16:35] | Okay, a bunch of things have fallen by the wayside since then, like communism. | 你看 从那时到现在很多事情都变了 比如共产主义 |
[16:41] | You want promotions, give me my launcher. | 你想让军官晋升 就给我导弹发射器 |
[16:43] | If you want party favors, you shouldn’t have voted with the Republicans. | 如果你为政党利益着想 你就不应该和共和党一起投票 |
[16:46] | You shouldn’t have voted with them to kill our stimulus package. | 你不应该和他们一起 否决了我们的经济刺激方案 |
[16:50] | You tell Leo McGarry I look forward to a letter approving the MB-827. | 你告诉Leo McGarry 我希望 在MB-827这件事上有所进展 |
[16:57] | I want these to go back to the staff secretary. | 我要你把这些送回幕僚秘书那里 |
[16:59] | -Absolutely, Mr. President. -Thank you. | -好的 总统先生 -谢谢 |
[17:02] | Did you hear about the chief justice? | 你听说了首席法官的事情了吗? |
[17:04] | He was presiding over a moot court. Thought he was at the Supreme Court. | 他虽然身在最高法院 却在NYU(纽大)主持了一个模拟法庭 |
[17:09] | Fine, if we can get NYU to rule on the Second Amendment. | 那没关系 先让他们遵守宪法第二修正案(枪支管理) |
[17:12] | -He’s losing it, Leo. -It’s a lifetime appointment. | -leo 他要放弃了 -这是个终生有效的约定 |
[17:15] | That doesn’t mean he gets to decompose on the bench. | 这不意味着他要烂在长凳上 |
[17:17] | -Are we taking care of Carrick? -Josh is. | -我们有人负责carrick么? -josh负责 |
[17:20] | There’s more on HHS Appropriations. Violence prevention’s now been doubled. | 不仅仅是健康福利拨款 预防暴力拨款也加倍了 |
[17:25] | -It went from gutted to doubled? -Two hundred million. | -一下子成了2倍? -2亿美金 |
[17:28] | -Budget problem? -Legislative Affairs are concerned. | -预算出了问题吗? -立法机关在考虑这件事 |
[17:30] | It could cut into bioterrorism, global pandemics. 200 million’s real money. | 这是2亿实实在在的钱啊 本可以用在生物恐怖主义 全球性传染病 |
[17:35] | You think the Republicans want to make it so expensive we’ll cut it? | 你认为共和党人会故意提这么高 以防我们用来干别的? |
[17:39] | -It’s possible. -They trying to outflank us on the left? | -有可能 -他们想在左翼包抄我们? |
[17:42] | -I can’t see why. -Let’s find out. | -我看不出来为什么要这么做 -那去弄明白为什么 |
[17:45] | Josh is against the launcher because he thinks it’s make-work jobs for Idaho. | josh反对导弹发射器是因为他认为 这只是为了给爱达荷创造就业机会 |
[17:49] | But he supports workfare, which gives people make-work jobs. | 但他却支持工作福利 而这是在给人们创造就业机会 |
[17:53] | Find me a military contractor on food stamps and we’ll talk. | 能给我找到一个接受食物券的 军事承包商 我再跟你讨论 |
[17:56] | -Josh’s guidance on the DSCC. -Thanks. | -josh的民主党参议院竞选委员会提纲 -好的 谢谢 |
[18:02] | So I’m giving Josh an expensive birthday present. | 我准备给josh一个贵重的 生日礼物 |
[18:05] | Can’t. You’re his subordinate, that’s a violation of ethics. | 不行 你是他的下属 这违背道德准则 |
[18:08] | Then I’m giving it to you. | 那么我把它给你 |
[18:10] | You’re my subordinate… | 你是我的下属… |
[18:12] | …and I don’t think you even bought a present at all. | …并且我不相信你真的买了礼物 |
[18:16] | There’s a party at the Australian Embassy later. | 一会儿在澳大利亚使馆有个晚会 |
[18:20] | -Are you…? -No. | -你是要… -不是 |
[18:24] | It’s just… . | 只是… |
[18:26] | There aren’t enough books in the District of Columbia for you to stand on. | 小子,先回去多读点书再来… |
[18:30] | How about suburban Maryland? | 你说我们去马里兰郊区怎么样? |
[18:39] | -How’s Carrick? -He wants the MB-827 missile launcher. | -carrick怎么样了? -他想要MB-827导弹发射器 |
[18:42] | -The one that doesn’t work. -Yeah. | -就是那个不管用的? -没错 |
[18:44] | The 97th Airborne’s a stickler for that kind of thing too. | 还有第97空中导弹维持编队 也是类似这样没用的东西 |
[18:47] | I got a breakdown on the promotions. | 在晋升这件事上我快崩溃了 |
[18:49] | Two dozen are headed for rotations in the Gulf. | 有两打的人是准备到海湾换防的 |
[18:52] | If they’re not promoted, they can’t leave. | 如果他们没有晋升 他们不能去 |
[18:54] | Carrick wants that launcher today. | carrick希望今天就得到导弹发射器 |
[18:56] | I’m gonna send Fitzwallace to cut a deal, call it his farewell tour. | 我准备派fitwallace 去搞定他 就当是他的告别旅行了 |
[19:01] | I’ve got a better idea. | 我有个更好的主意 |
[19:02] | No Fitzwallace, no letter, no deal. Five years, he’s voted Republican. | 不派fitzwallace,不给签约书,没有交易 五年前他投的共和党的票 |
[19:07] | Switched his vote, jammed us on the stimulus package. | 就是因为他把票转而投给共和党 才使我们的经济刺激议案被压制 |
[19:10] | That’s why we’re in this mess. We wanna roll over? | 这就是我们陷入烂泥的原因 你想翻身么? |
[19:12] | He’s a Democrat from Idaho, they use Democrats for target practice. | 他是一个爱达荷州的民主党 他们把民主党当靶子练习 |
[19:16] | Sometimes he’s gotta lean to the right. | 有些时候他会知道什么是 正确的选择的 |
[19:18] | We give him everything. He screws us. | 有些时候? 我们给他一切 他每次都给我们弄砸了 |
[19:20] | He makes Machiavelli look like a social worker. | 他使得machiavelli(意大利政治家) 看起来像个社工 |
[19:23] | We need his vote when we bring stimulus up, we need it on our agenda. | 要想通过刺激议案 我们就需要他的票 我们需要他支持我们的议程 |
[19:26] | So we reward him for rolling us? That’ll keep him in line? | 那么我们因为他耍我们而奖励他? 这会使他跟我们一条心? |
[19:29] | We can’t afford an ugly fight. | 我们承受不起一次丑陋的内讧 |
[19:31] | Unless we want more, we gotta stop feeding the hand that bites us. | 除非我们得到更多 否则我们 不该给那些咬我们的人好处 |
[19:35] | No Fitzwallace, no letter, no deal. | 不派fitzwallace 不给签约书 没什么交易 |
[19:40] | I need your proxy on this. | 我需要你快点决定 |
[19:43] | Okay. But go easy. | 同意 但是别太狠了 |
[19:48] | That “one-man majority” stuff, you know they didn’t get that from me. | 那个”一言堂”的东西 他们不是从我这里得到的 |
[19:52] | I don’t care about The Washington Post. | 我不关心华盛顿邮报怎么说 |
[19:54] | Take care of Carrick. | 搞定 carrick! |
[20:00] | Call Carrick’s chief of staff. The launcher’s off the table. | 给carrick的幕僚长打电话 发射架不会给他的 |
[20:04] | Tell him there’s no such thing as a free launch. | 告诉他不会有什么免费发射的事情 |
[20:06] | -That’s cute. -Just made it up. | -这很可爱 -处理好它 |
[20:09] | Amy can see you from 1: 10 to 1: 15. | amy可以在1:10-1:15见你 |
[20:11] | How about telling me I can see her. | 你就不能说是 我可以接见她 而不是我去见她吗? |
[20:13] | I got five minutes for her. She can wait in my office all day if necessary. | 我给她5分钟 如果有必要的话 她可以在我的办公室里等一天 |
[20:17] | -Amy can see you from 1: 10 to 1: 15. -Fine. | -amy可以在1:10到1:15见你 -好吧 |
[20:20] | Is this a private birthday celebration? | 这是私人生日庆祝? |
[20:23] | Need some dollar bills and a smock? | 需要美金和表演服装? |
[20:25] | It’s a meeting, would you…? | 是工作的事 你能不能… |
[20:27] | I don’t do birthday celebrations. | 我不庆祝生日 |
[20:29] | Childhood trauma, I presume? | 小时候有什么阴影? |
[20:31] | My 7th birthday, my parents hired a birthday clown. | 我的7岁生日 我父母请了一个小丑 |
[20:35] | Big nose, seltzer bottle, whole drill. | 大鼻子 苏打水 全套装备 |
[20:37] | He did all his tricks for my sister. She got to keep one of his floppy shoes. | 他给我的妹妹做了好多花样 她甚至想要他的一只蓬松鞋 |
[20:41] | Okay, I wouldn’t tell that to anyone else. | 好吧 我不会跟任何人说起的 |
[20:44] | Tell Amy’s office I’m on my way. | 告诉amy办公室的人 我就过去 |
[20:46] | Copy this. Get me the committee roster. Thanks. | 复印一份 给我一份委员会的名单 谢谢 |
[20:48] | -Nice profile, Josh. -Thanks. | -josh 报道不错 -谢谢 |
[20:51] | So this guy calls his mother, he says, “Mom, how are you?” | 有个家伙给妈妈打电话 他说 “妈妈 最近怎么样?” |
[20:57] | She says, “I’m terrible. I haven’t eaten in 38 days. “ | 她说 “糟透了 我已经38天没有吃东西了” |
[21:01] | “Why haven’t you eaten in 38 days?” | “为什么你38天没有吃东西?” |
[21:04] | “I didn’t want my mouth to be full in case you should call. “ | “我不想接你电话的时候嘴里塞着东西” |
[21:07] | -You telling me to call my mom? -I’m telling you a joke. | -你想让我给妈妈打电话? -我在跟你讲一个笑话 |
[21:10] | What’s the first lady doing? Why do you need lists of Congressional committees? | 第一夫人在干什么? 为什么你需要国会委员会的名单? |
[21:15] | I’m Amy Gardner, I work for Abigail Bartlet. Have we met? | 我是amy gardner我为 abigail barltlet工作 我们见过吗? |
[21:19] | She’s running around the budget process. | 她在忙预算的事情 |
[21:21] | -You’re not supposed to– -Run her office? | -你不应该去.. -掌管她的办公室? |
[21:23] | Leo’s onto what you’re doing with HHS Appropriations. | leo对你的那个健康福利拨款的事 很担心 |
[21:26] | I practically lied. Next time, I’m not gonna. | 理论上我撒谎了 没有下次了 |
[21:28] | -Will I find a horse’s head on my desk? -Don’t tempt me. | -你要放个马头在我桌上么? -不要逼我… |
[21:32] | -You got a problem, call– -Like I’m gonna get between the Bartlets. | -你有问题打电话… -好像我是夹在barlets夫妇之间的人 |
[21:35] | You run it through the process. | 运作这件事是你的任务 |
[21:37] | Afraid we’re gonna get called to the principal’s office? | 你怕我会给给总部打电话? |
[21:40] | I am the principal’s office. | 我就是总部 |
[21:43] | -Call your mother. -Thanks. | -给你妈妈打电话 -谢谢 |
[21:47] | Is the president concerned joblessness will affect his standing? | 总统是否担心失业会影响他的立场? |
[21:51] | The president’s concern is passing his stimulus package… | 总统担心的是他的经济刺激议案… |
[21:54] | …to get Americans good jobs. | 从而给美国人民更多好的工作 |
[21:55] | He’s hopeful Congress will move his new version to the floor. | 他希望国会尽快通过他的提案 |
[21:59] | Does the president wish his press were as good as Josh Lyman’s? | 总统是否希望他的影响 和josh lyman的一样大? |
[22:02] | We’ve set up a whole wing to handle his paparazzi. | 我们整个西翼都在处理 他的业余作品 |
[22:05] | I’m just hoping for a decent table at the Palm. Yes. | 我只想手里拿着一份像样的表格 |
[22:08] | The EPA says the White House censored a report critical of coal-based energy. | 环保署说白宫篡改了一份 关于煤炭能源的报告 |
[22:12] | Is that appropriate? | 这合适么? |
[22:14] | The White House feels the EPA report will reflect administration views. | 白宫认为环保署的报告能反映 管理机构的观点 |
[22:18] | Not the EPA’s. Their draft cited stunted trees, poisoned fish and wildlife… | 那不是环保署的观点 他们的报告说的是 发育不良小树 毒死的鱼和野生动物… |
[22:22] | …as just some of the problems with coal– | 这些只是煤炭带来的问题的一部份 |
[22:24] | The report will lay out views on a range of issues. | 这个报告里还有其他的一些观点 |
[22:27] | Why’d the White House tamper with an independent report? | 为什么白宫跟一份独立 调查报告过不去 |
[22:29] | -I addressed that. -You haven’t. | -我说过了 -你没有 |
[22:31] | Why is independent analysis subject to White House censorship? | 为什么独立分析报告要经白宫审查? |
[22:34] | I don’t accept your premise. | 我不接受你的观点 |
[22:36] | I’m sure you all look forward to reading the report. | 我确信你们都应该看看这份报告 |
[22:39] | I’ve read both the censored one and the original. Are you defending–? | 审查过的还有原始的我都读过 你是在维护…? |
[22:42] | If there was interference with an independent report, that was a mistake. | 如果和原稿有冲突 那肯定是个笔误 |
[22:48] | -Margaret! -But I assure you… | -margaret -但我向你保证… |
[22:50] | … the final report will reflect administration policy. Sally. | …最终的报告会反映管理部门的政策 sally |
[22:54] | It’s been months since Admiral Fitzwallace announced his retirement. | 海军上将fitzwallace已经声明 退休好几个月了 |
[22:57] | Is the president sticking… ? | 总统会否挽留…? |
[23:05] | I’ll see him. | 我进去了 |
[23:07] | -Something you wanna say, say it now. -They had both drafts, there was– | -你有话要说就现在说 别带到发布室 -他们两个版本都有 这… |
[23:11] | I gave you the line. Who said you could drop it? | 我把台词给你了 谁说你能扔到一边? |
[23:14] | Coal is the dirtiest energy on the planet. That’s worth censoring? | 煤炭是这个星球上最脏的能源 那值得审查么? |
[23:17] | What wasn’t in that report was any clean coal. | 那份报告里没有提到的是 干净的煤炭 |
[23:20] | -Any mention of… . -Clean coal’s a myth. | -需要提及的是… -干净的煤炭是不可能的 |
[23:23] | They turn it into gas and steam. | 他们变成煤气和水蒸气 |
[23:25] | Clean coal’s like saying healthy botulism, child-safe plutonium. | 干净的煤炭就像是说 健康的肉毒杆菌 对小孩无害的放射性钚… |
[23:28] | Tell me the alternative. Getting people to stop using electricity? | 你有什么替代方案么? 让大家停止利用电力? |
[23:32] | I don’t know, neither does the EPA, but they’re telling the truth. | 我不知道 环保署也不知道 但是他们说的是事实 |
[23:35] | And we gagged them. Who gave us the right? | 我们却封住他们的嘴 谁给我们的权力这样做? |
[23:37] | Are we surprised our polls are down? | 怪不得我们的支持率会下降! |
[23:39] | We have a responsibility to the country, we can’t just spin any line we make up. | 我们对国家负有责任 我们不能随便编造台词 |
[23:43] | You have a responsibility. When I give you the line, that’s the line. | 你的责任是 我给你台词 你照着念! |
[23:47] | -Not when no one will believe it. -Put out a statement in your own name. | -没人会相信那个! -我要一份签有你名字的道歉申明… |
[23:50] | It’s gonna say what you should have said… | …上面只有你可以说的话… |
[23:52] | …that we stand behind that report. | …并且还要加上我们支持这个调查 |
[23:57] | -You don’t want me to do that. -I do. | -你不会真的想让我这么做吧 -我是真的 |
[23:59] | That’s saying I wasn’t speaking for this White House. | 那就是说我不是在代表白宫发言 |
[24:02] | You weren’t. | 刚才那次你不是 |
[24:09] | On my desk within the hour. | 一个小时后把申明放到我桌子上 |
[24:11] | Violence prevention jumped another 30 million in an hour? | 一个小时内暴力预防拨款又多了 30万美金? |
[24:15] | It’s a bidding war, sir. | 先生 这是一场竞价战争 |
[24:17] | Do we know why it’s happening? | 我们知道这件事发生的原因么? |
[24:21] | -Do we or don’t we? -Direct request from the first lady… | -我们知不知道? -健康福利拨款委员会的人… |
[24:24] | …to the members of the HHS Appropriations subcommittee, sir. | 直接对第一夫人负责…先生 |
[24:30] | After Zoey’s kidnapping… | 在zoey被绑架的那件事后… |
[24:31] | …she’s hugely popular, even in the Republican conference. | 她知名度升的很高 甚至在共和党里 |
[24:34] | First lady’s office requested it. They’re fighting to fund it. | 第一夫人办公室需要它 他们正为此努力 |
[24:38] | What does this mean for the CDC budget? | 这对CDC预算来说是什么意思? |
[24:40] | They’re cutting almost everything to make room. | 他们在削减几乎所有的其他预算 来筹集到足够的数目 |
[24:42] | Bioterror, infectious diseases. | 生化反恐 传染病 |
[24:45] | -Do you wanna call the first lady? -No. | -你想给第一夫人打个电话么? -不 |
[24:48] | -Would you like us to work–? -Don’t. | -你介意我们去做工作么? -什么也别做 |
[24:50] | -Thank you. -Thank you, Mr. President. | -谢谢 -谢谢您 总统先生 |
[25:00] | Don’t touch that. | 别碰那个 |
[25:05] | Don’t touch that either. | 也别碰那个 |
[25:07] | pierce Pierce. | |
[25:15] | Your family’s had a lot of press attention, right? | 你家也老是受到媒体关注,是不是? |
[25:18] | My great-great-great-granddad whipped up a lather when he annexed Cuba. | 我的老-老 -老祖父加入古巴的时候 受到鞭打 |
[25:23] | I mean, since Reconstruction. | 我是说 改革后的事情 |
[25:25] | -Yeah, we get some press. -How do you, you know, deal with it? | -是的 我们有些压力 -你们怎么处理? |
[25:29] | I never read any of it. | 我从不看这些东西 |
[25:31] | -Really? -Actually, I read all of it. | -真的么? -实际上我读了所有关于我家的东西 |
[25:34] | -So answer the question. -The biggest enemy of truth isn’t the lie. | -那么 回答我的问题 -真理的最大敌人不是谎言… |
[25:37] | -It’s the myth. -Meaning what? | -是神话 -什么意思? |
[25:40] | Meaning I’d be better off if I never read any of it. | 意思是我如果不读的话会好受一些 |
[25:45] | Hey. | 嗨 |
[25:54] | Happy birthday, by the way. | 祝你生日快乐 |
[25:55] | I really don’t want you making a big deal. | 我真的不希望你把这当回事 |
[25:57] | -I was all done. -Good. | -我都搞定了 -好的 |
[26:01] | I walked the minority leader through the calendar. | 我让领导人按消息日历工作 |
[26:03] | Triplehorn ought to be jazzed, his stuff’s on. | triplehorn会很高兴 他的东西在里头 |
[26:06] | He tells me we’re not giving Carrick a missile launcher he wants. | 他跟我说我们不会给carrick 导弹发射架 |
[26:09] | The minority leader wants us to cave. | 少数派领导让我们投降 |
[26:11] | If he could manage his own caucus, we wouldn’t have this problem. | 如果他能自己安排核心小组会议 我们就没这个麻烦了 |
[26:15] | We can’t win back the Senate without him. | 没了他我们也不能在参议院获胜 |
[26:18] | You’re suggesting we build a multimillion dollar heap of garbage? | 你建议我建立一堆百万美金的垃圾? |
[26:22] | Sometimes they find other uses for the technology. | 有些时候他们能为技术 找到其他的用途 |
[26:25] | Turn it into a toaster that doesn’t make toast. | 把它变成不能烤面包的烤面包机? |
[26:27] | This has zero to do with defense technology. | 这个和防御技术一点边都不沾 |
[26:30] | The minority leader thinks we could lose our chance… | 少数派头头认为我们会… |
[26:32] | …to get him on the new stimulus package, on our tax bill. | …失去把他争取到刺激议案 税务议案的机会 |
[26:36] | -It’s a bluff. -Forty-nine percent job approval. | -这是讹诈 -49%的工作批准 |
[26:40] | We gotta get off this, on to our issues. | 我们会把这些放到我们的议程里 |
[26:42] | The stuff this guy has already bilked us for, out of a state of about nine people– | 这个他曾向我们要的东西 不是一个只有有九个人的州… |
[26:47] | He’s an endangered species, if he needs a little pork… . | 他快完了… 如果他需要一点猪肉.. |
[26:50] | The Volcanic Soil Museum, the Canola Oil Fuel Cell Initiative. | 火山土博物馆 卡诺拉原油燃料电池驱动 |
[26:54] | It’s low-fat pork. | 虽然这猪肉有点贵… |
[26:56] | Shakespeare in Military Communities Program. | …在军事团体节目单里加入莎士比亚 |
[26:58] | What’s wrong with Hemingway? | 海明威有什么不好的? |
[27:00] | -Maybe we cut our losses. -That’s easy for you to say. | -也许这可以使我们减少损失 -你说的轻松… |
[27:03] | I lost him on stimulus, I have to get him on our agenda. | 我在刺激议案上失去了他 我必须把他拉回来 |
[27:06] | I’m the one lacing up concrete shoes on the front page of the Post. | 我是那个在邮报头条上 穿混凝土鞋子的家伙 |
[27:14] | Been on a–? Have you been on a fishing trawler recently? | 你最近有没有在拖网渔船上呆过? |
[27:18] | donna! Donna! | |
[27:21] | I’m fine on Carrick. Do your job, I’ll do mine. | carrick那件事我搞得定 作你的事吧 我做我的 |
[27:27] | It stinks in here. It’s like working in Moby Dick’s gym locker. | 这里有股怪味 像是工作在 moby dick的健身馆柜子里 |
[27:30] | What do you expect? A fish was here all night. | 你想怎么样? 有条鱼整夜呆在这里 |
[27:33] | -All night? -Amy left it last night. | -整夜? -amy昨天晚上放在这里 |
[27:36] | amy? Amy? | |
[27:41] | Mr. President. | 总统先生 |
[27:44] | We’re doing pretty well on violence prevention. | 我们在暴力预防议案上作的不错 |
[27:47] | -Yes. -They were gonna gut it. | -是的 -他们就要拿到了 |
[27:49] | -First lady turned it around. -You don’t– | -第一夫人说了算 -你不是 |
[27:52] | We probably should have run it through Legislative Affairs. | 我们可能 要把它拿到立法机构 那里讨论 |
[27:55] | I’m not gonna have Abbey jump through hoops. | 我不会让abbey跳出笼子 |
[27:58] | Intimate partner violence affects more people than breast cancer. | 夫妻暴力比乳腺癌影响的人更多 |
[28:01] | -How many calls today? -Sir? | -今天有几个电话? -先生 |
[28:03] | The first lady, how many calls did she make to members of the subcommittee? | 第一夫人 今天给 委员会成员打了几个电话? |
[28:08] | No calls. | 没有打 |
[28:09] | She’s hiking in the White Mountains. She made no calls, you made them. | 她正在怀特山上徒步旅行 她没有打电话 是你打的电话 |
[28:14] | -It’s a cause she believes in. -Don’t tell me what she believes. | -这是因为她一直赞成… -别跟我说她赞成什么 |
[28:17] | -I’m telling the Congress. -My wife is not a budget appropriation. | -我跟国会说… -我妻子不是一个预算挪用的工具 |
[28:21] | She’s not a line. Don’t put words in her mouth. | 她什么都不知道 你不要为她编造声明 |
[28:23] | Don’t treat her like she’s your blank checkbook. | 别拿她当你的空白支票簿 |
[28:28] | With due respect, it’s what she’d want. | 恕我直言 这正是她想要的 |
[28:32] | She has to be here to want things. | 她要什么需要 她本人在这里说 |
[28:36] | And you don’t have to be here at all. | 而你已经没有必要呆在这里了 |
[28:43] | You wanted economic events shaded green. | 我以为你想把经济事件标记成绿色 |
[28:45] | I said, blue. Blue. | 我说的是蓝色 蓝色! |
[28:47] | Green is the color of money. | 绿色是金钱的颜色 |
[28:49] | This is about people’s lives. | 这是关系人民的生活 |
[28:51] | What color are those? | 那用什么颜色? |
[28:53] | Just stick to black and white, quill and parchment. | 只用黑与白 羽毛笔和羊皮纸还好… |
[28:55] | I need this for the Treasury secretary. Did you get the VP’s sign-off? | 我要把这些交给财政部长 你得到副总统同意了么? |
[28:59] | -Not exactly. -What did you get, exactly? | -还没有 -那么 你现在有什么? |
[29:02] | He offered me a job last night as his chief strategist. | 他昨天晚上给我了一个工作 让我做他的首席战略家 |
[29:10] | What’s funny? | 有什么好笑的? |
[29:11] | Russell’s an empty cowboy suit, you work for the leader of the free world. | russell是一个空皮囊 而你为自由世界的领袖工作 |
[29:16] | I work for a guy who works for a guy who works for the leader of the world. | 我为一个为自由世界的领袖工作 的人工作 |
[29:21] | Treasury secretary’s ready in the Roosevelt Room. | 财政部长在罗斯福厅等待接见 |
[29:25] | The calendar. I need the calendar. | 日历 我需要那日历 |
[29:28] | He has lunches with the president, direct access. | 他和总统共进午餐 直接接触 |
[29:31] | -He’s not taking orders from us. -What did you tell Russell? | -他不听从我们的指挥 -那你怎么答复russell的? |
[29:34] | I didn’t tell him anything. Yet. | 现在为止 我还什么也没有说 |
[29:38] | -You’re not considering it. -Clock’s running. | -你不会真的想要吧 -时间不等人啊 |
[29:40] | -You’re not considering it. -How long are we gonna make calendars? | -你不会真的想要的 -我们还需要多久才能把日历准备好? |
[29:43] | You think I wanna be making calendars? | 你以为我愿意做日历? |
[29:45] | You think I like being in a P.R. dogfight with Congress… | 你以为我愿意做为一个 在国会里狗咬狗… |
[29:48] | …writing banner copy for photo-ops? | …公共关系主任 然后等着照片上报纸头条? |
[29:52] | The Treasury secretary’s waiting. | 财政部长在等您 |
[29:55] | And did you want all this flush-right? | 你想让这些都右对齐么? |
[30:02] | Calendars aren’t… . | 日历… |
[30:06] | It’s a calendar, make it look like a calendar. How hard is that? | 日历就是日历 把它做的像日历 这很难吗?! |
[30:13] | This is the NBA. You don’t go back to shirts and skins. | 这是NBA 你不需要换衬衫作面膜 |
[30:35] | “Amy, looks like you had a tough day. | “amy看起来你今天很倒霉… |
[30:37] | Tell me all about it while I give you a foot massage. “ | …在我给你做足底按摩的时候 跟我说说好么?” |
[30:41] | Okay. Let’s talk about the fish. | 好吧 我们说说那条鱼 |
[30:44] | You don’t understand this building. | 你不明白这栋建筑 |
[30:46] | Not being an architect or a steamfitter. | 我又不是建筑师,锅炉工 |
[30:49] | I’m talking about a code, an ethos you don’t understand. | 我的意思是你不明白这里的 风气还有规则 |
[30:53] | -Josh, I was just… . -That Post profile… | -josh 我只是… -那个邮报的评论 |
[30:55] | …the “legislative juggernaut” … | ..那个“立法机关是一言堂”.. |
[30:57] | …all those anecdotes, all those quotes came from you. | 所有这些小道消息 所有这些都是在引用你的话 |
[31:01] | -Happy birthday. -We don’t glorify ourselves. | -生日快乐 -我们不能自己给自己贴金 |
[31:06] | How is the president gonna feel when I’ve got better press than him? | 总统会怎么想当我比他受欢迎? |
[31:10] | How is every Congressional staffer gonna feel… | 每个国会议员会怎样想… |
[31:12] | …when I’m taking victory laps the week after losing a key vote? | 上个礼拜还是赢家 现在又要开始输了… |
[31:16] | Like you’re not gonna lose the next one. | 看来你下次不会再失败了 |
[31:18] | We don’t advertise, it’s not the code. | 我们不给自己打广告 这不符合规矩 |
[31:21] | It’s not the code to look strong to your constituents? | 在你的支持者面前看起来很强壮 不合规矩么? |
[31:24] | The only constituency that matters… | 唯一我们需要在意的支持者只有一个 |
[31:26] | …is the constituency of the guy in the round room. | 在总统办公室里的那个 |
[31:29] | I came here to work on issues, not be part of a messianic cult. | 我来这里是工作的 不是来这里朝圣的 |
[31:32] | Serve the issues by serving the man. | 你的工作是为这个人工作 |
[31:34] | I’m pretty sure the man just revoked my parking privileges. | 我确信这个人刚取消了我的停车权 |
[31:37] | -What? -I’m pretty sure I was just fired… | -什么? -我刚刚被他解雇了 |
[31:40] | …by the president of the United States for doing my job. | 因为我做了该做的工作而被 美国总统解雇 |
[31:44] | HHS Appropriations. | 健康福利拨款的事? |
[31:47] | Sort of. | 差不多是 |
[31:49] | Apologize. You gotta go apologize. | 你去道个歉 你应该去道歉 |
[31:52] | I’ve got a constituency of one too, Josh. | josh 我也有一个支持者… |
[31:54] | But it’s me. | 但是 那是我自己 |
[32:02] | Hang on. Just hang on a second, okay? | 等一会 在这里等我一会好么? |
[32:06] | Senator Carrick held up another 56 promotions. | carrick议员搁置了另外56项晋升 |
[32:09] | -What? -The Army secretary wants a meeting. | -什么? -军队那边要开个会 |
[32:12] | Unless the meeting’s to strap Carrick to his idiot missile launcher… | 除非这个会议是要把carrick绑到 他那个白痴导弹发射器上 |
[32:15] | …and fling him headfirst into an ICBM, which he’ll miss– | 让他飞向一个他打不中的洲际导弹 |
[32:18] | He’s concerned if it becomes public– | 他们考虑到如果这个被公开的话… |
[32:20] | -I’m making it public. -You are? | -我要把这个公开 -你要? |
[32:22] | I’m leaking to every newspaper that Carrick’s blocking military promotions… | 我要让所有的报纸都知道 carrick搁置军队晋升议案… |
[32:27] | …that he’s doing it for a hunk of pork-barrel, defense scrap metal. | 为了能花一大笔经费 来建立一堆防御垃圾 |
[32:31] | -You’re sure? -I’m calling his bluff. | -你确信? -我要叫他的板 |
[32:32] | I’m making him crawl down here on his knees. I’ll be in the Press Office. | 我要让他跪地求饶 然后我马上去新闻发布室 |
[32:50] | Sorry about before. | 之前的事很抱歉 |
[32:55] | You have a future here. | 你在这里很有前途 |
[32:59] | -We should talk about it. -I’d like to. | -我想我们该谈谈这个 -我很乐意 |
[33:04] | My portfolio, the speeches, the day-to-day… | 我的公文包 演讲稿 一天又一天的.. |
[33:09] | …I’m gonna give it to you. | 我准备把它给你 |
[33:10] | -You’re leaving. -Stepping back. | -你要离开? -退居二线 |
[33:12] | To do big think and work on the legacy. | 回去好好思考一下 处理一下遗嘱的问题 |
[33:15] | You’re never gonna give up the job. You’re not capable of it. | 你永远不该辞职 你不能辞职 |
[33:18] | You could move from Pennsylvania Avenue to the state. | 你能从宾州大道搬到宾州… |
[33:21] | It’s a Commonwealth. We’ll figure it out. | 这是一个整体 我们要一起完成 |
[33:23] | -I don’t want your job. -Why not? | -我不想要你的工作 -为什么不呢? |
[33:26] | Bartlet’s never gonna finish the job. | bartlet不会算完的 |
[33:28] | Name an issue, you’re still clawing your way back. | 起个名目 你还是会爬回来的 |
[33:30] | Someone has to be ready to take the handoff. | 应该有人来接手 |
[33:34] | You took the Russell job. | 你接了 russell 的工作 |
[33:40] | This isn’t a line on a resume? | 这不应该是你简历的一部分 |
[33:43] | None of us. | 我们都不是 |
[33:47] | -You don’t walk away. -We’re on the same team. | -你不能走 -我们是一个团队 |
[33:49] | Yeah, well, maybe we’ll print up T-shirts. | 可能 也许该把这句话印在体恤上 |
[33:56] | -Your statement on the coal thing? -It just went out. | -你的关于煤炭的声明 -已经搞定了 |
[34:01] | -There’s a typo in the… . -Carol caught it. | -有一个记者… -carol会处理的 |
[34:04] | -Okay. -Is that all? | -好吧 -就这么地了? |
[34:07] | I don’t like coal any more than you do. | 我跟你一样不喜欢煤炭 |
[34:09] | But tomorrow, we’re gonna get the results of that poll. | 但是明天我们将得到民意测验的结果 |
[34:12] | I’m gonna have to tell him his numbers are crumbling… | 而我将不得不告诉他 他的支持率在下滑 |
[34:15] | …the dogs don’t like the dog food… | ..这狗不喜欢这种狗食.. |
[34:17] | -…on the eve of a budget fight. -I know. | -…而且在预算斗争的前夜 -我知道 |
[34:19] | We attack the coal industry and however many thousand coalminers… | 我们打击了煤炭工业加上数以千计的 煤矿工人 |
[34:23] | …and what’s our answer? Nuclear? Drill in the Arctic? | ..我们的解决方案是什么?核能? 在北极钻探? |
[34:26] | Forty percent unemployment in West Virginia? | 还是西维吉尼亚州40%的失业率? |
[34:29] | Like it or not, we’re the Saudi Arabia of coal, coal’s what we’ve got. | 不管你喜不喜欢 我们是煤炭储量上的沙特 我们只有煤炭 |
[34:33] | The EPA’s an independent agency, Leo. | leo 环保署是一个独立机构 |
[34:35] | The day we don’t get blamed for their screwups, count them as independent. | 当我们不再因为他们而被指责的时候 他们才算是独立机构 |
[34:39] | -I disagree. -Okay. | -我不这么认为 -好吧 |
[34:42] | And holding your line makes it a two- or three-day story at least. | 坚持你的立场 至少还会闹腾两三天 |
[34:45] | The whole room thinks we screwed up whether we admit it or not. | 不管你是否承认 媒体都会认为 是我们搞砸了 |
[34:48] | -You made that point. -I appreciate your apology. | -你说到点子上了 -我很高兴你会道歉 |
[34:51] | If I’m gonna fulfill my duty, I don’t need to know what you’re thinking. | 如果不是要履行我的职责 我没有必要知道你想什么 |
[34:55] | I need to know that you’re listening to me when I say you made a mistake. | 我要确保当我说你犯错了的时候 你能听的进去 |
[34:59] | I’m not apologizing to you. | 我不是在向你道歉 |
[35:02] | I’m telling you my thinking as a courtesy. | 出于礼貌我才告诉你 我怎么想的 |
[35:05] | But you work for me. When I make a decision, that’s the decision. | 但是你为我工作 我做出决定的时候 那就是决定了 |
[35:09] | If you can’t back it up, don’t go in the briefing room. | 如果你不能接受 就不要进那个发布室 |
[35:16] | -We are here to serve the country. -We are the country. | -我们来这是为国家服务的 -我们就是国家! |
[35:22] | -Mr. President, Amy Gardner’s here. -Thanks, Charlie. | -总统先生 amy gardner来了 -charlie 谢谢了 |
[35:33] | The Flemish Bloc is gaining in the north. | flemish集团在北方做大 |
[35:37] | Excuse me, sir? | 先生 你说什么? |
[35:39] | The Flemish Bloc, ultranationalists in Belgium. | flemish集团 比利时的极端民族主义者 |
[35:42] | Skinheads, really. Neo-Nazis. | 理平头 绝对的新式纳粹 |
[35:44] | They’re wearing three-piece suits, speaking in coded discourse now… | 他们穿三件套 演讲都用暗语… |
[35:48] | …instead of angry chants, and they’re gaining in the north. | 而不是愤怒的圣歌 现在他们在北欧做大 |
[35:52] | Everyone wears the same suit… | 所有人穿一样的衣服… |
[35:54] | …how does anyone know which side they’re on anymore? | 有人知道他们到底是站在哪派么? |
[35:57] | -You asked to see me, Mr. President. -You’re not fired. | -你叫我来 总统先生… -你没有被解雇 |
[36:01] | Abbey would choose you over me anyway. | 反正abbey会不顾我而再次雇佣你 |
[36:11] | I think it’s best for me to leave, sir. | 先生 我想我离开这里可能会比较好 |
[36:14] | What I did today, lobbying, prodding… | 我今天干什么了游说 刺探… |
[36:16] | …prying money out of that HHS subcommittee… | 希望能从健康福利基金里把钱拿回来 |
[36:19] | …that’s what I’m good at. | 这就是我擅长干的 |
[36:22] | I wasn’t made to serve at someone else’s pleasure. | 我不需要讨别人的欢心 |
[36:27] | I don’t think my staying would please anyone anyway. | 另外 我也不认为我呆在这里 能给别人带来什么欢心 |
[36:32] | She didn’t… . | 她没有… |
[36:34] | I didn’t talk to Abbey about this. | 我没有跟abbey说起过这个 |
[36:37] | Zoey told me she was hiking. | 是zoey告诉我 她在徒步旅行 |
[36:43] | This building’s not very conducive to relationships, sir. | 先生 住在这个房子对夫妻关系可 没什么好处 |
[36:50] | I’ll call back the members of the subcommittee. | 我可以在离开签给委员会的人打电话 |
[36:53] | Tell them the first lady wants violence prevention fully funded. | 告诉他们第一夫人需要暴力预防基金 全面到位 |
[36:58] | A hundred million? | 1亿美金? |
[37:02] | Make it 110. | 1亿1千万吧 |
[37:25] | You were looking for me? | 你找我? |
[37:27] | What did you wanna talk about with the president? | 你想跟总统说什么? |
[37:29] | Did I forget the secret password? | 是我忘记保密密码了么? |
[37:36] | We talked about my giving up communications… | 我们说的是我放弃主管职务… |
[37:39] | …leaving it to Will and focusing on the big picture. | 把它留给will 为了大局着想 |
[37:43] | This is not the time. | 现在还不是时候 |
[37:45] | When will it be the time? | 什么时候是时候? |
[37:50] | Message of the day, top of the news hour. | 他的离开 马上就会变成新闻头条 |
[37:53] | Second term, and we’re acting like a losing campaign. | 而第二条就是 “白宫如同竞选失败” |
[37:55] | -You’re not lecturing him. -Stop protecting him. | -你别教训他 -别护着他了 |
[37:58] | It’s my job to protect. It’s your job to get us back on message. | 保护他是我的工作 你的工作是让我们得到支持 |
[38:01] | -Will can, I’ll supervise. -You supervise him now. | -will可以 我可以监督 -现在你监督他 |
[38:04] | What does that matter? | 这有什么关系? |
[38:06] | It matters because I need you doing what you’re doing now. | 当然有关系 我现在需要你 |
[38:12] | I’m holding this together with Scotch tape and baling wire. | 我要把这个队伍用透明胶带和 包装绳捆起来 |
[38:16] | We have an economic policy held together with tape and baling wire. | 我们会得到一个用胶带和绳子捆起来 的经济政策 |
[38:20] | FDR built the middle class in 100 days. | 罗斯福在100天内建立了中产阶级 |
[38:22] | -How many days do we even have left? -Forty-nine percent. | -我们还有多少天呢? -49% |
[38:26] | -We can’t start another New Deal. -Fight for the old one… | -我们不能开始新的议题 -那就为旧的而战? |
[38:29] | …instead of haggling with Republicans over how much to cut. | 而不是和共和党讨价还价 考虑削减多少? |
[38:33] | We created 9 million jobs. Now they’re disappearing. | 我们创造了900万个就业机会 现在没有了 |
[38:37] | Outsourcing, downsizing, buyouts. | 外部采购 缩小规模 全部买下 |
[38:40] | They build TVs in Mexico for a dollar a day… | 为了一天挣一美元 他们在墨西哥制造电视… |
[38:43] | -…on dirt floors with cardboard walls. -That’s our fault? | -住在肮脏的纸板房的地板上 -这是我们的过错么? |
[38:46] | It’s on our watch, Leo. Where’s our 100 days? | leo 这是我们的职责 我们的100天在哪里呢? |
[38:48] | Where’s our Great Society? Where’s our New Frontier? | 我们的伟大社会在哪里呢? 我们的新疆界在哪里呢? |
[38:53] | Somebody’s gotta do what we came here to do! | 必须有人做我们来这里想做的事 |
[38:58] | Those jobs aren’t coming back. | 这些工作岗位不会回来了 |
[39:00] | We lose or cave every battle we have with Congress… | 我们和国会的每场战斗都失败了 |
[39:03] | …and we have a calendar, not a plan. | 我们有的是一个日历 而不是一个计划 |
[39:06] | Will’s gonna work for the vice president. | will准备去为副总统工作 |
[39:18] | I’m asking the president not to let him. | 我去叫总统阻止他… |
[39:20] | He told Russell he could have him. It’s done. | 他告诉russell他能得到他 已经定了 |
[39:29] | You got a problem with your job? | 你不满你的工作么? |
[39:31] | I could use one of those ergonomic chairs. | 我也想享受那种人体工程学的椅子 |
[39:33] | Never mind. | 当我没问 |
[39:36] | Anything from Amy? | 有amy的什么消息没? |
[39:37] | I left messages for her everywhere to come see you. | 我到处都留了消息让她来见你 |
[39:41] | This isn’t about the dead fish. | 不是死鱼的事 |
[39:44] | -Not exactly, no. -What happened? | -确实不是 -怎么了?发生了什么事? |
[39:47] | I think she’s been fired. | 我想她是被解雇了 |
[39:50] | She thinks so, and I kind of unloaded on her. | 她这么认为 我想安慰她 |
[39:52] | -Josh… . -She’ll be– I don’t know what she’ll be. | -josh 她会.. -我也不知道她会怎么样 |
[39:55] | Find her. Forget about budget bills… | 找到她 别再想预算议案的事了 |
[39:57] | …and poll samples and missile launchers. Go find her. | 也别想民意调查和导弹发射架的事了 去找她去 |
[40:00] | -What else have I got? -Senator Carrick’s in the Roosevelt Room. | -我还能干什么? -carrick参议员在罗斯福厅等你 |
[40:03] | Chris Carrick’s here? Now? | chris carrick在这里? 现在? |
[40:17] | josh? Josh? | |
[40:21] | Senator. | 参议员 |
[40:23] | Well, that was quite a press coup… | 好吧 很漂亮的一击… |
[40:26] | …telling the Idaho papers about my anonymous hold. | 告诉爱达荷州的报纸我的匿名扣留 |
[40:29] | -What can I do for you? -You know what? | -我能为你做点什么? -你知道么? |
[40:31] | Absolutely nothing. | 什么也不用 |
[40:33] | I’ve released the military promotions. Can’t defend that to the people of Idaho. | 我已经同意了军官晋升了 这能不能保护爱达荷州的人民? |
[40:37] | I hope that lesson won’t be lost on the stimulus package. | 我希望在经济刺激议案上不会 重演 |
[40:40] | -Oh, it won’t be. -Good. | -这个不会的 -那就好 |
[40:42] | -Josh, I need one last favor from you. -What’s that? | -josh 我还需要你帮最后一个小忙 -哦 什么事? |
[40:48] | I got my own letter here. I’d like you to personally deliver that to the president. | 我写了一封信 我想请你亲手把它交给总统 |
[40:54] | -What’s this? -It’s my letter of resignation… | -是什么? -我的辞呈.. |
[40:57] | …from the Democratic Party. | 我退出民主党的辞呈 |
[40:59] | Come again? | 什么? |
[41:01] | I’m running as a Republican next election. | 我下次选举就会以共和党的身份参加 |
[41:03] | You’re switching because we won’t give you a launcher. | 你就因为我不给你导弹发射架 而换党? |
[41:06] | The launcher is a deterrent. | 发射架是一个震慑性物资 |
[41:08] | It says we’re serious about perfecting missile defense… | 它表明我们对防御导弹袭击 是很严肃的.. |
[41:11] | …so rogue governments don’t build missile programs. | …能让流氓政府不敢发展 导弹发射项目 |
[41:14] | Building it is more important than whether it works. | -别傻了 -建造它比它是否能工作重要的多 |
[41:18] | We don’t want it to have to work. | 我们不希望它真的派上用场 |
[41:19] | We can’t win back the Senate without Idaho. | 失去爱达荷州 我们在参议院赢不了 |
[41:22] | We can’t pass the tax bill, the new stimulus package. | 我们不能通过税务议案 新经济刺激议案 |
[41:27] | I’ll get you a meeting with Fitzwallace. | 我可以安排你和fitzwallace上将见面 |
[41:30] | A meeting with the president. | 可以安排你和总统见面 |
[41:33] | I don’t work for the president or you. I work for the people of Idaho. | 我不为总统或者你工作 我为爱达荷州的人民工作 |
[41:38] | You’re leaving the party be–? | 你要离开民主党… |
[41:41] | This is because of me? | 就因为我? |
[41:43] | I’m not leaving because of you. | 我不是因为你而离开的 |
[41:46] | But you made it a whole lot easier. | 但是你使的这一切变得简单的多了 |
[42:00] | Josh, Leo wants you in the Mural Room. | josh , leo想在壁画厅见你 |
[42:15] | Surprise! | 惊喜! |
[42:19] | Happy birthday! | 生日快乐! |