时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:08] | – I’m not sure I was clear before. – We need to get back our focus. | -我不确定之前我是否已说清楚 -我们必须重新找回焦点 |
[00:12] | Work a message calendar, like the campaigns. | 做出讯息日历像竞选一样 |
[00:14] | Long-term. I’m talking about something else. | 长期的我不是指其它的东西 |
[00:17] | Not articulating the message. Shaping it. | 不是表达讯息而已 是将讯息具体化 |
[00:20] | We should discuss it. | 我们应该要讨论一下 |
[00:23] | Not today. | 今天不行 |
[00:56] | Welfare. | 社会福利(有线卫星公共事务台 国情咨文) |
[01:07] | Let us raise the minimum wage so that work always pays more than welfare. | 让我们提高最低薪资让工作薪资 远比社会福利金多 |
[01:30] | – Yeah. – Hey. How much cash did Gaines have… | -是的 -甘司在上次外汇管理申请期 |
[01:32] | – … in the last FEC filing period? – The senator? | -拿到多少钱呢? -甘司参议员吗? |
[01:36] | – Gaines. Cash on hand. – Three hundred and ten K. | -甘司现金到手 -31万 |
[01:40] | – It’s almost nothing. – It’s not an election year. | -根本不算什么 -又不是选举年度 |
[01:43] | What’s unusual…? | 很反常的是? |
[02:05] | – It’s Charlie. – When’s the president’s wake-up… | -是查理 -总统明天早上几点 |
[02:08] | – … call tomorrow? – Today? | -起床呢? -今天? |
[02:09] | – Tomorrow, today… The next one. – Five forty-five. | -明天今天下一天 -5点45分 |
[02:12] | – I’ll make the call. – Excuse me? | -我来打 -你说什么? |
[02:14] | I’ll make his wake-up call. Sleep in. | 我来打他的起床通知电话继续睡吧 |
[02:42] | – Yeah. – Good morning, Mr. President. | -喂? -早安总统先生 |
[02:45] | Charlie, we’re going to surgically implant a snooze button. | 查理我们要手术植入打盹按钮 |
[02:49] | – It won’t hurt much. – It’s Toby, sir. | -不会很痛的 -是托比长官 |
[02:52] | If they’re not giving you enough to do down there… | 如果他们没有给你 太多工作的话 |
[02:55] | I know this sounds crazy but I think we have two weeks. | 我知道这听起来很疯狂 但我想我们只有两星期 |
[02:59] | A two-week window. I need to see you alone right now… | 两星期的空窗期 我需要马上单独见你 |
[03:03] | – … because if I’m right about this… – Toby, what are you talking about? | -因为如果我没看错的话 -托比你在说什么? |
[03:08] | I think I know how we can save Social Security. | 我想我知道如何拯救社会福利了 |
[04:01] | I think Gaines is leaving the Senate. I think he’s not gonna run again. | 我认为甘司要离开参议院 我想他不会再度竞选了 |
[04:05] | – Because he only has $310,000 on hand. – Because he’s not raising money. | -因为他手头上只有31万元 -因为他没有在募款了 |
[04:11] | He was the only Republican to applaud a minimum-wage hike… | 在国情咨文演说时他是唯一 拍手赞成提高最低薪资的 |
[04:14] | …at the State of the Union. Breaking ranks over the AFL-CIO’s top issue. | 共和党员背叛劳工联合会跟 产业工会的最重要议题 |
[04:20] | – Think he’ll announce retirement? – GOP dinner’s in two weeks. | -你想他会宣布退休吗? -共和党全国党代表晚宴2星期后举行 |
[04:22] | If I’m right, he’ll announce his intentions there. Always has. | 如果我是对的他会在晚宴时宣布 一向都是如此 |
[04:26] | And he’s been a leader on this for decades. | 数十年来他一直是这议题的领导 |
[04:30] | He chairs the Social Security subcommittee. | 他担任社会福利小组委员会的主席 |
[04:32] | Get him and a leading Democrat to agree. | 让他还有民主党的领导同意 |
[04:35] | Bring the House guys along before anyone knows he’s a lame duck. | 在被人发现他是无用之人以前 把众议会的人一起找来 |
[04:38] | – This just might be the break we need. – To save Social Security. | -这或许就是我们需要的 -为了拯救社会福利 |
[04:42] | – To save Social Security. Yes, sir. – This is right after we colonize Ontario. | -为了拯救社会福利是的长官 -就在我们殖民渥太华之后 |
[04:48] | Let’s talk about reality. | 我们来谈谈现实面 |
[04:50] | More college kids think they’ll see UFOs than Social Security checks. | 大学生宁可相信他们会看到飞碟 也不相信会看到社会福利支票 |
[04:54] | They don’t tell you how many believe in UFOs. | 他们不会告诉你多少人相信飞碟 |
[04:56] | – That’s what we should worry about. – The retiree number will double. | -那是我们需要担心的 -退休人数会加倍 |
[05:00] | If we do nothing, the trust fund will go broke. | 如果我们什么都不做 退休基金就会破产 |
[05:05] | One senator’s retirement means we can save it? | 一位参议员退休就表示我们可以 拯救社会福利吗? |
[05:07] | One senator who’s been the leader on it. | 一位向来都是该议题领导的参议员 |
[05:10] | One senator who can bring his party along. One senator who’s never had… | 一位可以驱动他所属党的参议员 一位从未有总统可以及他 |
[05:13] | – … a president who’d meet him halfway. – Republicans will wanna divert… | -一半的参议员 -共和党会想要将社会福利 |
[05:17] | …Social Security into private investment. | 转移方向至私人投资的 |
[05:19] | – Think Democrats will go with that? – I didn’t say there aren’t sticking points. | -民主党会同意吗? -我并没有说会没有焦灼的地方 |
[05:24] | More like Krazy Glue. Think Republicans will raise payroll taxes? | 比较像是强力胶 共和党会提高所得税吗? |
[05:27] | I think we have to have the conversation. I… | 我想我们必须要有对话我 |
[05:31] | – … can’t give you the plan. – You can’t save Social Security… | -不能同意你的计划 -你不能不删减福利 |
[05:34] | …without cutting benefits or raising taxes. | 或提高赋税 只为了拯救社会福利 |
[05:37] | This is the largest meeting in Washington where anyone’s ever admitted it. | 大家都承认这是华府最大会议 |
[05:42] | When Social Security goes bankrupt, are we gonna call that a benefit cut? | 当社会福利破产了 我们要称那为缩减福利吗? |
[05:46] | – Let’s talk to Gaines. – If it becomes public… | -我们来跟甘司谈 -如果被大众知道 |
[05:50] | …we’ve even discussed this, both sides will go crazy. | 我们在商谈此事 两边人马都会发疯的 |
[05:53] | It will jeopardize our whole agenda on the Hill. | 这将会危及我们在国会的整个议程 |
[06:01] | What if I do it? I’ll do all the negotiating. | 要是我来做呢? 我来进行所有的协商 |
[06:05] | You’ll have total deniability. No one in the building has to know. | 你将可以推诿不知 这里没有人需要知道 |
[06:08] | If it blows up, I’m to pretend we never met? | 如果消息走漏 我该假装我们从未见过吗? |
[06:11] | We’ll always have Paris. | 我们永远都会有巴黎 |
[06:14] | Mr. President, life expectancy is rising. | 总统先生平均寿命正在延长 |
[06:18] | The biggest generation ever is retiring, and we don’t have the money. | 最多人口的一代即将要退休 而我们没有那样的钱 |
[06:24] | Every year we wait means we have to cut deeper, take away more… | 我们每年都在想办法 删减更多取走更多 |
[06:27] | …till Social Security’s not enough to live on. | 直到社会福利不够用了 |
[06:30] | Till retirement’s a one-way ticket to a flophouse. We have an opening. | 直到退休即代表单程车票到廉价旅馆 我们现在有个机会 |
[06:34] | There’s 17 ways to fix it. | 有17种方式可以解决 |
[06:36] | Twenty years of Blue Ribbon Commissions told us how. | 20年的头奖委员会告诉我们 该如何做 |
[06:39] | This isn’t a government program. It is a moral covenant. | 这并非政府方案这是道德契约 |
[06:42] | We don’t wanna be the administration that saves it from oblivion? | 我们不想成为将它从赦免中 拯救出的政府? |
[06:46] | We don’t want that legacy? | 我们不想成为那样的传奇? |
[06:48] | Social Security is the third rail of American politics. | 社会福利是美国政治的第三铁道 |
[06:51] | Touch it and you die. | 碰触就会死亡 |
[06:53] | That’s because the third rail is where all the power is. | 那是因为第三铁道有其权利所在 |
[07:02] | Talk to Gaines, but just talk. | 去跟甘司谈但是只是谈 |
[07:04] | And no one else in this building knows. | 而且这里没有其他人会知道 |
[07:08] | – Thank you, Mr. President. – We have nothing to announce today. | -谢谢您总统先生 -我们今天没有事情要宣布 |
[07:11] | No policy, summit meetings, not a warm front meeting up with a cold front. | 没有政策、高峰会 也没有冷锋和高压的交会 |
[07:15] | We need a hard news announcement each day, or the press runs amok. | 我们每天都需要有确切的新闻宣布 不然媒体就会抓狂 |
[07:19] | It’s Toby’s job. What am I, the White House complaint center? | 那是托比的工作我是什么? 白宫抱怨中心吗? |
[07:22] | You run the policy shops. Besides, Toby’s avoiding me. | 你管的是政策 何况托比在躲我 |
[07:25] | – Maybe no news is good news. – No news is very, very bad news. | -或许没有消息就是好消息 -没有消息是非常非常不好的消息 |
[07:28] | If we don’t run offense, we’re running defense. | 如果我们不进攻我们就是退守 |
[07:31] | There’s some clever sports analogy to explain what happens. | 某些聪明的运动类推可以 解释发生的事 |
[07:34] | – We’re screwed. – That’ll do. | -我们完了 -那样就可以了 |
[07:37] | Are we proposing the streamlining of Federal Adoption Law? | 我们在提议将联邦领养法律简化吗? |
[07:40] | DPC says it’s not ready, OMB says it’s not revenue-neutral. | 国家政策委员会说那尚未准备好 行政管理预算局说那并非收益中立 |
[07:43] | I’m declaring a war on all acronyms. | 我要对缩写字宣战 |
[07:45] | There’s gotta be something happening. It’s a big government. | 一定有事情发生的 政府这么大 |
[07:48] | When I accused the speaker of welshing on assignments… | 当我指控议长逃避(音同威尔斯) 职责时 |
[07:51] | …and had to apologize to the Welsh people? Slow news day. | 还得必须向威尔斯人民道歉? 今天没什么新闻 |
[07:54] | Here’s something. The Argentine economic attach?is meeting at NEC. | 有件事阿根廷经济专员正在 全国经济委员会开会 |
[07:58] | – There’s your offensive play. – On cabbage imports. | -这就是你的主动进攻玩法 -讨论甘蓝菜进口 |
[08:01] | – Back to the huddle. – Bring him in around lunchtime. | -回到听令说明会 -大约午餐时间把他带进来 |
[08:04] | – We’ll find a way to feed the beast. – Please. | -我们会找到方式喂食野兽的 -拜托了 |
[08:07] | – The alternative’s that it feeds on us. – Toby. | -否则就是我们被拿去喂食 -托比 |
[08:09] | Senator, could I have a minute of your time alone? | 参议员我可以单独跟你谈吗? |
[08:13] | Okay. You’ve got it. | 好的没问题 |
[08:15] | I think you’re not running for re-election. | 我想你不会再度参选 |
[08:17] | Because you broke ranks, stood up and applauded a minimum-wage hike… | 因为你打破隔阂在国情咨文时 起立并且鼓掌 |
[08:21] | …at the State of the Union. You barely raised a dime last quarter. | 提高最低薪资 你上一季几乎没有募到款 |
[08:24] | – And? – And I’m offering you what I think… | -还有呢? -还有我要提一件 |
[08:27] | …could be the crowning achievement of your career. | 可成为你事业最登峰成就的提案 |
[08:30] | – Want me to applaud the president more? – I want us to try to save Social Security. | -要我再为总统鼓掌吗? -我想要尝试拯救社会福利 |
[08:35] | I’ll bring the president and a leading Senate Democrat to the table. | 我会安排总统和 参议院民主党领袖开会 |
[08:38] | – Then we’ll simonize the Hoover Dam? – Well, let’s do this first. | -然后我们将擦亮胡佛水坝? -我们先完成这件 |
[08:42] | You’ve been good on this issue. Political hacks in the White House haven’t. | 你在这件议题上一直都很支持 白宫里的马屁精们并没有 |
[08:46] | – This will be a day without politics. – Here’s how it’ll go. I’ll say: | -这将会是没有政治牵扯的一天 -一切将如此进行我会说 |
[08:50] | “Let’s have personal savings accounts. God forbid people… | 我们来开个个人存款帐户 上帝禁止人们 |
[08:53] | …can invest their own money. ” Josh Lyman’s hatchet factory… | 投资他们自己的钱 乔西赖曼的恶毒工厂 |
[08:56] | …will say I’m trying to turn it into stock-market bingo. | 会说是我要把它变成 股票市场宝果 |
[08:59] | – Everything’s on the table. – I’ll say, “Trim the cost of living… | -一且都摊在桌上 -我会说“缩减生活费用” |
[09:02] | …adjustment. ” They’ll haul out elderly widows who are getting $ 740 a month… | 他们会拖出每个月领 740块钱的老寡妇 |
[09:06] | – … and say I want them eating cat food. – Everything is on the table. | -然后说我要他们吃猫食 -一切都摊在桌上 |
[09:11] | I’m asking you to take one step. One small step toward greatness. | 我是在要求你跨出一步 一小步前进到伟大境界 |
[09:15] | You chair the subcommittee. You can deliver House and Senate Republicans. | 你是小组委员会主席 你可以跟参众两会的共和党员说明 |
[09:19] | Funny. I knew the perfect Republican to lead this in the House. | 我知道在众议院中最佳的 共和党人选来领导此议题 |
[09:23] | – Deeply committed to reform. – Senator, I… | -十分坚定于改革 -参议员我 |
[09:25] | Jim Carney was his name, and he’s in a different line of work now. | 他的名字是吉姆卡尼 他现在是在做不同的职务 |
[09:29] | Are you willing to let the trust fund go completely broke? Let’s face it. | 你愿意让信托基金全权破产吗? 我们老实面对吧 |
[09:32] | It’ll lead to the mother of tax increases, or the total collapse of the system. | 这将会造成赋税的增加 或整个制度的完全瓦解 |
[09:38] | Is that the legacy you wanna leave? | 那是你想要留下的名声吗? |
[09:41] | One step, senator. That’s all I’m asking. | 一脚步参议员 那仅是我要求的 |
[09:46] | I’ll need a Democrat. He better be a heavyweight. | 我们需要一个民主党员 最好是重量级人物 |
[09:59] | Hey. The vice president’s speech to the Detroit Economic Club… | 嗨副总统在底特律 经济俱乐部的演说 |
[10:03] | – … wasn’t half bad. – Thanks. | -蛮不错的 -谢谢 |
[10:05] | – What do you wanna talk about? – His presentation problem. | -你想要谈什么? -他的演说问题 |
[10:09] | – People agree with what Russell says. – Till he says it. | -人民同意罗素说的 -直到他说出为止 |
[10:11] | The greatest sin in politics, to be bad on television. | 政治最大的罪恶 就是在电视上看起来很糟糕 |
[10:14] | Did you have presentation problems with the president? | 你对总统的演讲也有问题吗? |
[10:17] | The first campaign. Every speech was an 18-point plan for something. | 第一次竞选时每次演说都是 某某18项计划 |
[10:22] | – How did you do it? – Gave him an 18-point plan… | -你是怎么办到的? -给他18项计划 |
[10:24] | – … to make his speeches snappier. – Russell makes fun of his blandness. | -让他的演说更具震撼 -罗素取笑他的平板 |
[10:28] | – Salt speeches with self-deprecation. – Such as? | -下游的演说加上自贬 -例如说呢? |
[10:31] | Bob Russell is so dull, his Secret Service code name is Bob Russell. | 巴柏罗素太无趣了他的特务代码 就是巴柏罗素 |
[10:35] | – That’s not bad. – He’s an inspiration to the Americans… | -还不错 -他是每个受荷兰榆树症所苦 |
[10:38] | – … suffering from Dutch elm disease. – Use that, you got a Sierra Club problem. | -之所有美国人的鼓舞 -这样说你就有麻烦了 |
[10:42] | – That’s where we used it. – Problem is, telling people you’re dull… | -那便是我们所使用的 -问题是告诉人民你很无趣 |
[10:46] | …just removes all doubt. Russell needs to confound expectations. | 只会解除所有疑惑 罗素必须要混淆期盼 |
[10:49] | Do something to really shock the party faithful. And I may have something. | 做些真的会让党全然惊讶的事 我或许有个主意 |
[10:54] | – About Gaines. – Senator Gaines? | -关于甘司 -甘司参议员? |
[10:56] | – Did Toby meet with him this morning? – Why? | -托比今天早上跟他会面吗? -为什么? |
[10:59] | Polk from The Wall Street Journal just asked me. I said I had no idea. | 《华尔街日报》的记者刚问了我 我说我不知道 |
[11:02] | – For once in my life, I told the truth. – Yeah, that meeting was…. | -我这辈子第一次说实话 -是的那个会面 |
[11:07] | Yeah, let me get back to you about Russell. | 是的我再回头跟你谈罗素的事 |
[11:12] | The code name thing. That’s funny. | 密码的事情真是好玩 |
[11:29] | How you doing? | 你好吗? |
[11:37] | Nobody here talks to me. | 这里没有人跟我说话 |
[11:40] | – I don’t think they like me. – Not really, no. | -我想他们不喜欢我 -那不是真的不是 |
[11:48] | Come here. | 过来 |
[11:56] | Can you handle something confidential? | 你可以保密处理一件事吗? |
[11:59] | Photocopying, pulling documents, answering my private line. | 影印、找档案 还有接我的个人专线 |
[12:05] | – Thank you. – It’s grunt work. | -谢谢你 -很单调的差事 |
[12:06] | – I won’t let you down. I’m honored. – Trained animals could do it. Cut the act. | -我不会让你失望的我很荣幸 -受训过的动物都可以做的少来了 |
[12:11] | Okay? I’m offering you the chance to do something real. | 好吗?我给你可以 真正做事的机会 |
[12:16] | I need you to comb through the Social Security reports on this table. | 我需要你整理 这桌上的社会福利报告 |
[12:20] | Pull and copy every page with the names Gaines or Brainerd. | 找出并且影印有甘司或 贝那名字的页数 |
[12:24] | Tell anyone what you’re doing, or the topic… | 告诉任何人你在做这个 或此事 |
[12:26] | …become any more likable before this project is over… | 在此专案结束之前 变成众所皆知 |
[12:37] | – Is this a bad time? – No. | -现在不是时候吗? -不 |
[12:45] | – What do you need? – Polk says you met with Gaines. | -你需要什么? -波克说你跟甘司会面 |
[12:50] | – Yeah, it’s nothing. – This wasn’t about the tax bill? | -是啊没事 -跟赋税法案无关吧? |
[12:53] | – No. I bumped into him. – If you were even whispering about… | -不我偶然遇到他 -如果你们是私下谈 |
[12:56] | – … a tax deal, you’d tell me? – What do you think? | -赋税条件你会告诉我? -你认为呢? |
[12:59] | – They’re counting on that for midterms. – What issues aren’t they counting on? | -他们已经在指望期中了 -还有什么议题是没有在指望的呢? |
[13:03] | – So that 310 K you called me about? – It’s a coincidence. | -那你打电话跟我说的那31万呢? -那只是巧合 |
[13:07] | Okay. | 好的 |
[13:15] | Donna. Tell Will I’m coming over to see him. | 唐娜告诉威尔我要过去见他了 |
[13:19] | – What about? – I got a little surprise for Senator Gaines. | -什么事? -我有个小惊喜要给甘司参议员 |
[13:22] | It may not be such a slow news day after all. | 今天大概不会是全然无新闻的 |
[13:34] | Mr. Polk. To what do I owe the pressure? | 波克先生 我为何要承担此压力? |
[13:36] | – I need a comment. – Can it wait till the briefing? | -我需要一个意见 -可以等到简报的时候吗? |
[13:39] | – Not really. – The Journal has no bulldog edition. | -不太可以 -《华尔街日报》没有恶犬版本 |
[13:41] | You might need some time on this one. | 你或许需要一些时间 |
[13:43] | Toby’s been meeting on the Hill. I wanna know if it’s on Social Security. | 托比一直在国会会商 我想知道是否与社会福利有关 |
[13:47] | I’m sure it’s not. | 应该不是吧 |
[13:49] | A member of Gaines’ staff says it might be. | 甘司的一名幕僚说可能是 |
[13:51] | You know how many rounds we’ve gone on this issue? They’re picking a fight. | 你知道我们针对此事讲多少次了? 他们想要吵架 |
[13:55] | In person, obviously, because Gaines met Toby an hour ago. | 当面很明显地因为甘司 一个小时前才跟托比见过面 |
[13:59] | This is what I get on a slow news day. | 无新闻日就是这个样子 |
[14:01] | – No bulldog edition, but plenty… – But plenty of bulldogs. | -没有恶犬版本但是很多 -但有很多恶犬 |
[14:04] | Check it out, C.J. | 去查啊茜洁 |
[14:07] | Half an hour, senator, the mall’s fine. | 半小时参议员 这里没事 |
[14:09] | A reporter from The Wall Street Journal called. | 《华尔街日报》有个记者打来 |
[14:12] | – No press calls today. – Well, he said it was urgent. | -今天不接媒体电话 -他说是紧急事件 |
[14:14] | I am sure. | 我想也是 |
[14:17] | – Hey, can I ask you a question? – What? | -我可以问你一个问题吗? -什么? |
[14:20] | – I don’t understand Social Security. – Then you could be in Congress. | -我不了解社会福利 -那你就有可能进国会 |
[14:24] | All these reports say it’s going broke if we don’t fix it. | 这些报告都说如果我们不解决 就会破产 |
[14:27] | But if we all pay into it, why don’t we get our money back when we retire? | 但如果我们都没钱为什么我们 退休时钱拿不回来呢? |
[14:31] | Your Social Security taxes pay for today’s retirees. | 你的社会福利税收付给了 今天的退休人员 |
[14:35] | Then why won’t somebody else’s taxes pay for my retirement? | 那为何别人的税收 没有付给我退休呢? |
[14:38] | Because when the baby boomers retire, there will only be two people working… | 因为当婴儿潮的人退休了 每一个退休的人 |
[14:42] | …for every retiree, down from 42 workers per retiree… | 只会有两个人养 以前在制度刚开始时 |
[14:45] | …when the system started. | 是42个人养一个 |
[14:48] | – Hey, who’s James Carney? – Jim. | -嘿谁是吉姆卡尼? -吉姆 |
[14:52] | – What about him? – He’s all over these reports. | -他怎样呢? -他一直出现在这些报告中 |
[14:54] | He chaired the last two commissions. If Gaines won’t help, could you ask him? | 他主持了上两个委员会 如果甘司不帮忙你可以问他吗? |
[14:58] | The chickens of our empty roost are coming home. | 我们空巢的小鸡们要回家了 |
[15:01] | Sorry, I’ve been…. It’s been busy. | 对不起我一直 一直都很忙 |
[15:04] | It’s a glacially slow news day. | 今天都没什么新闻 |
[15:06] | I had three calls about financial disclosure forms… | 我有3通关于财务公开型态的电话 |
[15:08] | …one request to inspect the first lady’s shoe closet. | 一个要求要检验第一夫人的鞋柜 |
[15:11] | – Didn’t know it covered insoles. – Now they think you and Gaines… | -不知道还有包含鞋垫 -现在他们认为你跟甘司 |
[15:15] | …are reforming Social Security. | 要改革社会福利 |
[15:17] | What were you talking about? | 你们在说什么呢? |
[15:18] | His volumetric ethanol amendment? | 他的酒精容量修正案吗? |
[15:38] | You can’t tell Leo. | 你不能告诉里奥 |
[15:40] | – It isn’t true, is it? – I need the press off my trail… | -那不是真的是吗? -我需要几天时间 |
[15:43] | …for just a couple of days. | 不要媒体跟着我 |
[15:44] | – It’s close-hold. – Close-hold from Leo? | -不要说 -不要跟里奥说? |
[15:53] | Okay. | 好的 |
[15:57] | I like your new office. | 我喜欢你的新办公室 |
[15:59] | It has the advantage of being remote. | 有着疏远的优势 |
[16:01] | Nice place to visit. Wonderful place to park. | 很好探访的地方停车位极佳 |
[16:04] | Two doors down is the International Date Line. | 2个门后就是国际换日线 |
[16:06] | I got the answer to your conundrum. Forget the dull jokes. | 我有你谜题的答案了 别讲冷笑话 |
[16:09] | The problem in the Democratic Party these days is morale, right? | 民主党这些日子的问题就是道德 对吗? |
[16:13] | So Russell comes out of the gate as a seltzer-bottle-squirting partisan. | 所以罗素给人崭新的党支持者印象 |
[16:18] | The happy warrior. The guy who puts the fun back in Democratic politics. | 快乐的战斗者 把欢乐带回民主党的人 |
[16:22] | Fun. The guy needs a strobe light to look like he’s moving. | 欢乐这个人需要 闪光灯来照亮他 |
[16:25] | – Write that down. – Got it. | -写下来 -写了 |
[16:27] | Did you know that Gaines raised an anemic, pathetic 310 grand last quarter? | 你知道甘司在上一季只募了 少少的31万而已吗? |
[16:32] | – Does he even have an opponent yet? – No. But it’s a crack in the plaster. | -他目前为止有对手过吗? -没有但是在水泥上的裂痕 |
[16:36] | A chink in the armor. Gonna have fun at his expense. | 在盔甲上的裂缝 作弄他将会很好玩的 |
[16:39] | – Okay. – I’m talking about political theater. | -好的 -我是在讲关于政治戏码 |
[16:42] | The stuff you do in a campaign to energize your base. | 在竞选时候做来激励基层的事 |
[16:45] | Russell travels to Gaines’ hometown… | 罗素到甘司的家乡 |
[16:48] | …puts out a change jar, and stages a mock fundraiser. | 拿出募钱桶 扮成资金筹集人 |
[16:51] | To show Gaines is so far outside the mainstream, that’s why he’s broke. | 让甘司知道他离主流太远了 那就是为什么他会破产 |
[16:55] | Drops a nickel in the jar for each of Gaines’ retrograde positions. | 每次甘司退后一步 就丢铜板到罐子里 |
[16:58] | – Tahitian tax shelters: – Privatizing Social Security. How’d you…? | -大溪地赋税庇护所 -社会福利私人企业化你? |
[17:03] | It’s a partisan stunt. He could do one a week. | 这是党派的伎俩 他可以一星期做一次 |
[17:05] | Fires up the troops. Shows while the other side’s complacent… | 煽动军队显示当另一边自满 |
[17:09] | – We’re ready to throw down. – Too much fun there. | -我们已经准备好要扔下了 -太有趣了 |
[17:11] | – Sorry. – Slow news day. | -对不起 -今日无新闻 |
[17:15] | Lots of bored political reporters out there. | 很多无聊的政治记者在外头 |
[17:19] | Gaines is willing to risk his career. You just meet him halfway. | 甘司愿意冒他政治生涯的风险 你就多包涵 |
[17:22] | – Where’s the president? – Hundred percent behind it. | -总统呢? -百分之百支持 |
[17:25] | We get you and Gaines in a room, hammer out a deal Democrats support. | 我们安排你跟甘司面谈 敲出一份民主党会支持的方案 |
[17:29] | – I won’t raise the retirement age. – No, no, we have to share the pain. | -我不会提高退休年龄 -不不我们必须分担痛苦 |
[17:33] | Easy for us to say. We don’t carry metal for a living. | 我们是可以很容易这样说 我们又不用扛铁维生 |
[17:35] | We don’t work hard physical jobs like welding. | 我们不用做铸铁那样的劳力工作 |
[17:38] | Americans are retiring in their 60s, living into their 80s. | 美国人在60几岁退休 活到80几岁 |
[17:41] | FDR didn’t intend to pay for 20 years of shuffleboard. | 罗斯福并没有意思要付 20年的推盘轮游戏 |
[17:43] | Tell that to the sheet-metal worker whose tendons are shot by 55. | 去跟那些55岁肌腱便坏了的 版金工人讲吧 |
[17:47] | No Social Security works wonders on tendons. | 没有社会福利可以医治肌腱的 |
[17:49] | – Are you worried about political fallout? – Yes, I am, senator. | -你并不担心政治附带的结果 -是的我担心参议员 |
[17:53] | But this isn’t politics. It’s history. | 但这不是政治这是历史 |
[17:56] | And there is no easy way to get in the book. | 而这每有简单的方式可以处理 |
[18:02] | I’ll talk. No commitments. But I’ll talk. | 我会来谈没有承诺 但我会谈 |
[18:13] | The guy from the Argentine embassy’s here. | 阿根廷大使馆的人来了 |
[18:15] | See if he has anything we can announce. | 看看他有没有什么我们可宣布的 |
[18:17] | You’ll wanna ask him yourself. | 你最好自己问他 |
[18:21] | – Ms. Cregg. – This’ll have to be a short meeting. | -葛瑞小姐 -这个会议必须要很简短 |
[18:23] | I knew this wasn’t like shooting fish in a barrel. | 我知道这不像是在桶子里射鱼 |
[18:26] | Not that I’ve done that, but we don’t have anything to announce. | 不是说我有做过那样的事 但我们没有任何新闻可宣布 |
[18:29] | And I thought maybe your cabbage-import penetration talks… | 或许你的甘蓝菜 进口渗透谈话 |
[18:33] | …would yield some… | 会被迫放弃一些 |
[18:36] | …cabbage… | 甘蓝菜 |
[18:40] | – … agreement. – There is no agreement. | -协议 -并没有什么协议 |
[18:43] | – There’s only mutual respect. – Well, that’s not newsworthy, perhaps… | -只有互相的尊重 -这没有新闻价值或许 |
[18:48] | – … but, certainly. – Do you like cabbage? | -但是当然 -你喜欢甘蓝菜? |
[18:51] | Not so much, really. | 不是很喜欢 |
[18:53] | On occasion… | 有时候 |
[18:55] | …I see the appeal. | 我觉得还不错 |
[18:59] | It’s been a while since I’ve tried it, actually. | 事实上我已经很久没有吃了 |
[19:02] | You are a woman. | 你是个女人 |
[19:05] | And no news there, either. | 而那边也没有新闻 |
[19:08] | Though at this point, I’m… I’m willing to go with it. | 虽然这时候我 我愿意配合 |
[19:13] | – They’re waiting in the briefing room. – Oh, thank you. | -他们在简报室等着 -喔谢谢 |
[19:16] | – Thank you, Mr…? – Carrio. | -谢谢你? -卡瑞欧 |
[19:19] | Carlos Carrio. | 卡罗士卡瑞欧 |
[19:21] | – Carrio. – Thank you. | -卡瑞欧 -谢谢你 |
[19:25] | Thank you for… | 谢谢你 |
[19:27] | …whatever it was that was. | 不管是什么 |
[19:35] | How come you wanted all that press guidance on ethanol? | 为何你需要 所有乙醇的媒体报导呢? |
[19:37] | Because I’m about to get hammered on Social Security. | 因为我快要被 社会福利的事问垮了 |
[19:40] | – Silly me. – If I tug my left ear, create a diversion. | -我真傻 -如果我拉左耳分散注意力 |
[19:46] | Good afternoon. I have an important announcement to make. | 午安我有重要的事要宣布 |
[19:49] | In the coming weeks, the president plans to focus… | 接下来的几周总统计划专注 |
[19:51] | …on raising education standards. | 提升教育品质 |
[19:53] | It’s a juicy policy story no one’s written. Don’t all pounce at once. | 这是非常丰富却没有人写过的报导 大家赶快抓紧机会吧 |
[19:57] | – Chris. – What’s new about that? | -克莉丝 -有什么新的吗? |
[19:58] | – His laser-beam focus. – Which he said in the State of the Union. | -他会像雷射光一样专注 -也就是他在国情咨文中说的 |
[20:01] | And obviously you’ll want specifics. Gordon. | 而很明显地你会需要细节 高登 |
[20:04] | I’m hearing you were going to propose changes to adoption law. | 我听说你们要提案变更领养法 |
[20:07] | We hope to announce them soon. Streamline the bureaucracy. | 我们希望可以尽速宣布简化程序 |
[20:10] | – Find more children loving homes. – I hear those changes… | -为更多儿童找到更多有爱的家庭 -我听说那些变更 |
[20:13] | – … preferred younger parents. – I haven’t reviewed it. | -会较偏袒年轻的父母 -我还没有看过 |
[20:16] | – The Bartlets’ combined age is 111. – What are you suggesting? | -巴特勒夫妇加起来111岁了 -你是想说什么呢? |
[20:20] | Did they kill it because they’re considering adopting? | 他们否决原因是因为 他们考虑领养吗? |
[20:23] | – Shouldn’t they recuse themselves…? – Polk’s got a policy question. | -他们不应该反对自己? -波克有个政策问题 |
[20:27] | – I’m fine. – C.J.! | -我很好 -茜洁! |
[20:29] | – The Bartlets had nothing to do with it. – Meaning they’re out of the loop. | -巴特勒家跟此事无关 -就是说他们不符合 |
[20:33] | Meaning everyone ought to have the right to adopt. | 就是说每个人都有领养的权利 |
[20:35] | You, me, the Dalai Lama. And this briefing is officially over. | 你、我、达赖喇嘛 而此简报正式结束 |
[20:39] | – We don’t have news. – Like a blank page would kill you. | -我们没有新闻 -一页空白你死不了的 |
[20:42] | Polk, follow me. | 波克跟我来 |
[20:46] | – You didn’t ask your question. – Why share? | -你没有问你的问题 -为什么要分享呢? |
[20:49] | – They like flimsy rumors too. – I’ve got a second source. | -他们喜欢浅薄的谣言 -我有第二个资料来源了 |
[20:52] | You’ll see how flimsy it is in tomorrow’s Journal. | 你会在明天的《华尔街日报》看到 到底有多浅薄 |
[20:56] | Brainerd says she’ll talk. No commitments, but she’ll talk. | 贝那说她会谈 没有承诺但是她会谈 |
[20:59] | Maybe we can start a book club. | 或许我们可以开办一个读书会 |
[21:01] | She’s the ranking Democrat on Finance. It’s a good first step. | 她是民主党的财政会员会 这是很好的第一步 |
[21:05] | I just heard from two reporters that Bob Russell and the Bartlet smear machine… | 我刚从2个记者那边听到巴柏罗素跟 巴特勒的毁谤机器 |
[21:09] | …are planning to attack me on Social Security. | 正在计划在社会福利上攻击我 |
[21:12] | Make a circus out of my fundraising weakness. Is that the second step? | 取笑我的募款弱点那是第二步吗? |
[21:16] | I don’t know what you’re talking about. | 我不知道你在说什么 |
[21:18] | You’re lying, or the left hand doesn’t know what the far left hand is doing. | 你在说谎要不然就是左手不知道 右手在做什么 |
[21:22] | – I’m not lying. – You know what happened to Carney? | -我没有说谎 -你知道卡尼的下场吗? |
[21:25] | He commissioned one lousy CBO analysis on raising the retirement age. | 他雇用了一个差劲的预算局分析师 提高退休年纪 |
[21:30] | – I can fix this. – Josh Lyman ran ads… | -我可以处理 -乔西赖曼做了一些广告 |
[21:33] | …with 90-year-olds in hard hats working construction. | 用一些90岁的老人带着工程帽 在工地工作 |
[21:36] | “The Carney Social Security Plan. “ | “卡尼的社会福利方案” |
[21:39] | – Lost his seat by 11 points. – I’ll stop whatever this is. | -少11点而失去他的席次 -我会尽力阻止的 |
[21:42] | – Eleven points. – You’re not running this time. | -11个点数 -你这次没有要竞选 |
[21:44] | Who said I wasn’t running? | 谁说我没有呢? |
[21:46] | I thought it was time to raise the minimum wage. | 我以为该是提高 最低薪资的时候了 |
[21:50] | – You have to trust me on… – I don’t. | -你不需要相信我会 -我并没有 |
[21:53] | And if I did put my neck on the line with my own party… | 即使我真的拿我的党团冒险 |
[21:56] | …by scaling back private accounts… | 而跟我自己的党闹僵了 |
[21:58] | …your guys would never give up your favorite partisan attack. | 你们也永不放弃最爱的党派攻击 |
[22:01] | We’re on the same limb. The Journal’s chasing this, your staff is leaking it. | 我们在同一条船上《华尔街日报》 正在追踪你的幕僚泄漏出去了 |
[22:05] | – They were until I confirmed it. – You confirmed it? | -他们在我确认之前做的 -你确认了? |
[22:08] | I told them that you came to me and urged me to cut Social Security. | 我告诉他们你来找我 要我缩减社会福利 |
[22:13] | If they print this, it’ll torpedo any chance of a deal. | 如果他们报导出来那将会击沉所有 任何协议的机会 |
[22:16] | Well, now you’ve got that limb all to yourself. | 那现在那条船都是你自己的了 |
[22:29] | – I thought you handled that beautifully. – Tough love’s what these people need. | -我觉得你处理得很漂亮 -虽然爱才是这些人需要的 |
[22:33] | If not that, I move on to Molotov cocktails. What’s that? | 如果不行我会转提莫洛托夫的事 那是什么? |
[22:36] | Gordon’s wire story. | 高登的报导 |
[22:38] | “C.J. Cregg Touts Her Right to Adopt. “ | “茜洁葛瑞暗喻她可领养的权利” |
[22:41] | – I thought you handled it beautifully. – Where’s Gordon? | -我以为你处理得很漂亮 -高登在哪呢? |
[22:43] | Right outside the door. | 就在门后 |
[22:45] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[22:47] | – Let’s talk about your story. – Sure. | -我们来讨论一下你的报导 -当然 |
[22:49] | Since you stumbled onto… We can do this on the record, if you’d like. | 既然你错误步上了 我们可以将此公开如果你要的话 |
[22:54] | At a certain point, I don’t know when, exactly… | 在某一刻我不知道确切时刻 |
[22:59] | …the press secretary job just wasn’t fulfilling. | 新闻部主任的工作 并不怎么有成就 |
[23:01] | Maybe it was…. | 或许是 |
[23:03] | Then there was the spiritual vacuum. Ever feel that in your job? | 然后又有精神上的真空吸器 你在工作上有那样觉得过吗? |
[23:07] | First I thought it was Western materialism… | 首先我以为是西方物质主义 |
[23:09] | …then the mantras stopped working, and… Are you getting this down? | 然后祈祷文便不管用 然后你有写下来吗? |
[23:13] | Anyway, I already got the crib. | 反正我已经有小木屋了 |
[23:15] | I painted one room pink, and another blue. I wanted to live with both. | 我把一个房间漆成粉红色另一个 漆成蓝色我想要两间一起住 |
[23:19] | – Such different sensibilities. – About these new adoption… | -如此不同的鉴赏力 -关于那些新领养 |
[23:22] | That’s the thing. I don’t wanna adopt. I’m looking for a donor. | 就是那件事我不想要领养 我正在找捐赠者 |
[23:26] | A donor? | 捐赠者? |
[23:30] | Close the door. | 关门 |
[23:33] | – Oh, wait, you’re not… – Are you out of your pencil-ridden brain? | -喔等等你不是要 -你脑筋不管用了吗? |
[23:37] | This is the United States government. | 这是美国政府 |
[23:39] | We’ve got a $2 trillion budget. | 我们有2兆的预算 |
[23:42] | The largest creditor, the largest subcontractor… | 最大的债权人最大的分包商 |
[23:45] | …lifeblood of the global economy… | 全球经济的血脉 |
[23:47] | …with a nuclear arsenal that could blow the planet into pieces. | 有可把地球炸成碎片的核子武器 |
[23:50] | I shouldn’t have to tie you to a chair to get you to write about it! | 我不应该把你绑到椅子上来强迫 你那样写的 |
[23:54] | – So you don’t have a crib? – Get out! | -所以你没有小木屋? -出去! |
[24:03] | You’re a hard man to reach today. | 你今天真是难找 |
[24:11] | This is off the record? | 这是私下谈话吗? |
[24:13] | Sure. | 当然 |
[24:15] | Don’t write your story. | 别写你的报导 |
[24:17] | I forgot you were my editor. | 我都忘了你是我的主编 |
[24:19] | I’ll give you an exclusive when this is over. I’ll give you 10. | 在这一切都结束之后我会给你独家 我会给你10个 |
[24:22] | – Something big. – Than a fifth of the budget? | -很大的事 -比5分之1的预算大吗? |
[24:24] | Bigger than 51 million monthly checks? | 比每个月5千1百万支票还大吗? |
[24:27] | Just so you know, you’re gonna ruin me with the party. Ruin us on 15 issues. | 你会毁了我跟党的关系 在15项议题上毁了我们! |
[24:30] | Gaines is vulnerable, so Josh is threatening him with attacks… | 甘司很脆弱所以乔西正在用攻击 威胁他 |
[24:34] | – … to force a deal. Good cop/bad cop. – You’re wrong. | -逼迫他同意好警察和坏警察游戏 -你错了 |
[24:37] | – And the arrogance you have assuming… – How about the arrogance of trying… | -你高傲地以为 -我是高傲地试着 |
[24:41] | …to reform a $400 billion program by manhandling senators behind doors… | 在没有公开辩论的情况之下 私下对付参议员 |
[24:45] | …with no public debate? | 来改革一项4千亿方案? |
[24:46] | Without organized labor? Without the AARP? | 没有劳工组织? 没有美国退休人协会? |
[24:49] | Without the taxpaying public having any clue they might have to work longer… | 没有纳税人知道 他们可能要工作更久 |
[24:53] | …for less retirement money? You also met with Brainerd. | 得到更少的退休金吗? 你也跟贝那见过了 |
[24:56] | And I’m through talking off the record. | 我已经做完私下谈话了 |
[24:59] | – When are you filing? – Tonight. | -你何时要提呢? -今晚 |
[25:03] | Sunshine is the best disinfectant, Toby. | 阳光是最好的杀菌托比 |
[25:07] | For germs, maybe. | 对细菌而言或许是 |
[25:09] | Not the plague. | 瘟疫是不行的 |
[25:11] | Half the Superfund money goes to the lawyers, anyway. | 一半的超级基金金额 反正都给了律师了 |
[25:14] | It’s a super slush fund for the trial attorneys. | 那是给诉讼律师的超级贿赂款 |
[25:16] | That’s right, they’re giving it all right back to the Democratic Party. | 没错他们会全部还给民主党 |
[25:21] | I told you the 310 K wasn’t relevant. | 我告诉过你那和31万无关 |
[25:24] | I’m making it relevant. | 我要让它成为有关 |
[25:27] | I don’t want it relevant. | 我不想让它变得有关 |
[25:29] | You dealing on Social Security? | 你在处理社会福利吗? |
[25:33] | – Journal says you are. I denied it. – Stop the stunts. | -《华尔街日报》说你是我否认了 -少耍那些计俩了 |
[25:36] | I got calls from half a dozen Democratic senators, thrilled at signs of political life. | 我接到了一半民主党议员的电话 欣喜若狂看到政治新气象 |
[25:41] | They’re going to run on Social Security. They don’t want it dealt away. | 他们想运作社会福利 他们不希望这会被忽略掉 |
[25:44] | – This doesn’t concern the political… – Meaning it’s bad politics. | -这跟政治无关 -意思就是这是差劲的政治 |
[25:48] | – Meaning knock it off! – The electorate’s 10 percent older… | -意思就是不要再说了! -选民在接下来几年 |
[25:51] | …in the off years, and more culturally conservative? | 会老了百分之10 而且更保守? |
[25:54] | The only two advantages we have in the midterms… | 我们在此刻唯一的两项优势就是 |
[25:57] | …are Social Security and Medicare. | 社会福利跟医疗保险 |
[25:59] | – Take them off the table, we got nothing. – There’s no table. | -把它们从桌上拿走我们什么也没有 -并没有什么桌子 |
[26:02] | Then why do you care what I do to Gaines? | 那为什么你要在乎 我对甘司做什么? |
[26:04] | Mr. Ziegler, there’s someone… You’re needed in your office right away. | 齐格先生有个人 你必须要马上回到办公室 |
[26:19] | Tweedle Dumb and Tweedle Dumber in the policy shop… | 政策圈里半斤八两 |
[26:22] | – Forget about that. – Forget about it? | -忘了吧 -要把它忘了? |
[26:24] | I need you to talk to Toby’s researcher about her clothes. | 我要你跟托比的研究员 谈谈她的衣着 |
[26:28] | – You didn’t wanna play fashion cop. – Go there. | -你不想扮演服装警察的 -去! |
[26:31] | Talk about pantsuits. Find out what Toby’s working on. | 谈谈裤装找出托比在做什么 |
[26:36] | You’re asking me to spy on Toby? | 你要求我监视托比? |
[26:41] | I don’t feel comfortable with that. | 这样让我不太舒服 |
[26:43] | I didn’t ask. Toby’s negotiating away our office furniture. | 我没有要求托比正在谈掉 我们的办公家俱 |
[26:46] | – We need to know. – I’m supposed to have… | -我们必须知道 -我应该要有 |
[26:49] | Makeup tips. | 化妆技巧 |
[26:52] | See what’s on her desk. | 看看她桌上有什么 |
[26:57] | This isn’t a setup. | 这不是陷阱 |
[26:59] | You’re surprised The Wall Street Journal is exploiting this? | 你很惊讶《华尔街日报》 要揭发此事? |
[27:03] | I’m surprised Gaines is out when you said he’s in. | 我很惊讶当你说甘司已加入时 他实际上是退出的 |
[27:05] | – I can get him back on board. – He said he’s out. | -我可以让他回来的 -他说他退出了 |
[27:08] | – The Journal knows you and I met. – I can piece this back together. | -《华尔街日报》知道我们见过面 -我可以把这个重组回去 |
[27:13] | – I need you to make commitments. – Commitments? | -我需要你的承诺 -承诺? |
[27:15] | He’d scale back on private accounts. What can you give him? | 他会在私人帐户上退步 那你要给他什么呢? |
[27:18] | Nothing. | 什么都不给 |
[27:20] | If it’s in the papers I was even talking about raising retirement age… | 如果是在报纸上 我若是谈提高退休年龄 |
[27:24] | …I’d have the walker brigade picketing my house. | 我会有抗议团包围我的房子 |
[27:28] | – Slowly. – This could be our one chance… | -缓慢地 -这可能是我们唯一能够 |
[27:31] | …to help them. | 帮助他们的机会 |
[27:33] | And you’re gonna give it up? | 而你却要放弃? |
[27:37] | – When do we ever get a deal on this? – When we win back Congress. | -我们何时能取得协议呢? -当我们赢回国会时 |
[27:40] | – And do it on Democratic terms. – We’ve been saying that for 20 years. | -那就用民主党的方式作 -我们已经这样说了20年了 |
[27:44] | I’m out. | 我退出 |
[27:46] | You can keep the hemlock. | 你可以继续下去 |
[28:07] | We haven’t met. Donna Moss. | 我们尚未见过唐娜摩斯 |
[28:09] | – I work for Josh. – Rena. | -我是帮乔西工作的 -蕊娜 |
[28:12] | I’ve seen you on C-SPAN. | 我在电视新闻上看过你 |
[28:14] | Really? Well, sometimes they catch us in the back of the briefings. | 是吗?有时候他们会在简报过后 照到我们 |
[28:18] | My mom calls me when she thinks I look tired. | 我妈会在我看起来很累的时候 打给我 |
[28:21] | Everyone around here looks tired. | 这里每个人看起来都很累 |
[28:23] | We need to talk clothes and makeup. | 我们需要来谈谈衣服跟化妆 |
[28:26] | Oh, sure. | 喔当然 |
[28:28] | If you ever want me to teach you how to put on makeup, I’d be happy to. | 如果你要我教你怎么化妆 我会很乐意的 |
[28:32] | Thanks. | 谢谢 |
[28:36] | It’s great you get to use Will’s old office. | 你可以用威尔的旧办公室真好 |
[28:43] | What are you working on? | 你在忙什么呢? |
[28:47] | Toby works on so many different things. It must be hard to keep track. | 托比在处理好多不同的事情 一定很难处理的条理分明 |
[28:51] | He always wants to keep Josh in the loop. | 他总是想要让乔西参与 |
[28:54] | They’re so busy. That’s where we come in as coordinators. | 他们好忙那就是我们可以帮忙 当协调的地方 |
[28:57] | Collegial coordinators, you might say. | 学生协调者或许可以这么说 |
[29:01] | You know what? It’s none of my business. | 你知道吗?这不关我的事 |
[29:04] | Don’t ever tell anyone what you’re working on. | 别告诉别人你在做什么 |
[29:07] | Just keep doing what you’re doing. | 只要一直做下去 |
[29:10] | I was tired of everyone dressing the same, anyway. | 反正我也很厌烦每个人都穿一样的 |
[29:14] | I hear the policy people are giving Donna a hard time. | 我听说政策的人在刁难唐娜 |
[29:17] | A little bit, yeah. | 是有点 |
[29:19] | Don’t be too rough. We just bled them dry. | 别太粗暴我们就让他们流干血 |
[29:22] | Leo, if something is happening to my job, tell me now. | 里奥如果我的工作出了什么事 现在就告诉我 |
[29:25] | Don’t leave me hanging out there again. | 别让我又再次不知情况 |
[29:28] | Hanging out where? | 不知道情况? |
[29:30] | Toby’s working on something important. Social Security. | 托比正在运作一些重要的事 社会福利 |
[29:33] | – If it affects my accordion-like portfolio. – Your accordion’s fine. | -那会影响我像手风琴一样的经历 -你的手风琴没事 |
[29:37] | Obviously, some things are gonna be close-hold. I just… | 很明显地有些事要被保密我只是 |
[29:42] | I wanna do the politics. | 我想要做政治活动 |
[29:43] | You are. | 你是的 |
[29:46] | All right. Thanks. | 好的谢谢 |
[29:48] | What are you looking for? | 你在找什么呢? |
[29:50] | A senator who’s mute and only represents people under 30. | 一个哑巴参议员 而且只有30个不到的选民 |
[29:56] | Well, what about Jim Carney? | 吉姆卡尼怎样呢? |
[29:58] | It seems like he’s really committed to this. | 看起来他好像对此事十分投入 |
[30:00] | Jim Carney was one of the gutsiest guys in the House. | 吉姆卡尼是众议院中最有胆识的人 |
[30:03] | Loved on both sides of the aisle. | 被两党的人所敬爱 |
[30:07] | So? | 所以呢? |
[30:10] | He used to be a Republican House member. He’s not there anymore. | 他曾经是共和党众议院的一员 现在已经不再是了 |
[30:15] | What happened to him? | 他怎么了? |
[30:18] | Josh and I wrote a TV ad that destroyed his career. | 乔西跟我做了一份电视广告 毁了他的政治生涯 |
[30:23] | We figured if we won his seat… | 我们想如果我们可以赢得他的席次 |
[30:25] | …maybe a half dozen others, got more Democrats in Congress… | 或许还有半打其他的 让更多的民主党到国会 |
[30:29] | …we’d be able to get something done around here. | 我们就能够运作一些事情 |
[30:37] | What’s going on, Toby? | 怎么回事?托比 |
[30:39] | Josh is spinning conspiracy theories. The Journal is calling every 10 minutes. | 乔西正在虚构出密谋理论 《华尔街日报》每10分钟打来一次 |
[30:44] | – Toby Ziegler’s line. – I’m working on that ethanol thing. | -托比齐格专线 -我在处理那个乙醇的事件 |
[30:48] | Ethanol. | 乙醇 |
[30:50] | The president wants you in the residence. | 总统要在官邸见你 |
[30:52] | – Thanks. – No, sir. | -谢谢 -不长官 |
[30:54] | The president wants Mr. Ziegler in the residence. | 总统要在官邸见齐格先生 |
[31:00] | It’s just…. | 只是 |
[31:05] | I’ll find you afterwards. | 我等一下再找你 |
[31:12] | If they’d let me wear leggings for my portrait we’d be in business. | 如果他们肯让我在划像里穿绑腿 我们就可赚一笔钱了 |
[31:15] | Until it shows up on the Internet. | 直到在网路上流传为止 |
[31:17] | There you go, turning your back on a whole new constituency. | 真好背叛你的一群全新选民 |
[31:22] | Give us a minute, Charlie. | 给我们一分钟查理 |
[31:27] | Nice bags under the eyes there, Kojak. | 眼袋不错嘛小秃 |
[31:31] | I didn’t know he’d be here. | 我不知道他会在这里 |
[31:32] | I’ve got five Democratic senators on my call sheet. | 我的电话单上有5名民主党参议员 |
[31:35] | Leo’s clamoring to know what this is all about. What have you gotten us into? | 里奥已经在吵着要知道是怎么回事 你把我们带入何种处境呢? |
[31:41] | I lost Gaines, I lost Brainerd, and the Journal is running it tomorrow. | 我失去甘司我失去贝那还有 明天《华尔街日报》就要刊登了 |
[31:44] | Running what? That we grabbed the third rail with both hands? | 刊登什么?我们用双手拉住 第三条铁道吗? |
[31:48] | We talked about raising the retirement age, privatization. | 我们谈论了提高退休年龄私人化 |
[31:51] | Damn it, Toby! | 该死的托比! |
[31:57] | Gaines expressed some interests. | 甘司有表达过一些兴趣的 |
[31:59] | So you ran with it when I told you not to even walk. | 所以当我要你不要走的时候 你还卯起来跑 |
[32:04] | What if you talked to Gaines? | 要是你跟甘司谈呢? |
[32:05] | – Let him know you’re behind this? – Behind a deal that doesn’t exist? | -让他知道你是在后面支持的? -支持一个不存在的协议? |
[32:11] | What if you told him you’ll move on the retirement age? | 要是你告诉他 你会变更退休年龄呢? |
[32:14] | Maybe I should call the Journal. They can run it next to my legislative obituary! | 或许我应该打电话给《华尔街日报》 他们可以刊登在我的讣闻旁边! |
[32:18] | – I can’t contain this. – You’re gonna. | -我自己防不来 -你必须要 |
[32:20] | – There’s no way. – Then find a way. | -根本不行的 -那就找出方法来 |
[32:22] | How? By telling the whole party, so they can lay down on the tracks to stop it? | 如何呢?告诉整个党让他们可以 躺在铁轨上面阻止吗? |
[32:26] | By telling nine committee chairs, a whole dining room set… | 告诉9个委员会主席 我们越过他们的职权 |
[32:29] | …that we circumvented their authority? | 自行决定新餐厅摆设吗? |
[32:33] | The Journal’s gonna file it, and we don’t have a deal. | 《华尔街日报》要刊出了 而我们却没有协议 |
[32:36] | Find a deal. I want this back in the cardboard box it came in. | 找出协议 我要此事回到它原来的纸箱里 |
[32:40] | I don’t wanna see you till that’s done. | 这事完成之前我不想见到你 |
[32:43] | “No way” is not an acceptable answer. “I tried” is not an option. | “没办法”不是可接受的回答 “我试过了”不是个选择 |
[32:46] | You started this thing, and you’re gonna finish it. | 这事是你开启的 你必须要把它结束 |
[32:49] | With either a blue ribbon or a great big deafening silence. | 用不管是蓝缎带或是更大 更震耳欲聋的沉静 |
[32:57] | Yes, sir. | 是的长官 |
[33:00] | Thank you, Mr. President. | 谢谢您总统先生 |
[33:23] | – Hi. – Hi. | -嗨 -嗨 |
[33:31] | – What’s that? – Oh, it’s just… | -那是什么? -喔那只是 |
[33:35] | Some guy at the Argentine embassy who apparently wants to make me a salad. | 阿根廷大使馆的一个人 做了沙拉给我 |
[33:42] | – Sorry about that baby story. – Yeah, it’s okay. | -很抱歉关于那个婴儿报导 -没关系 |
[33:47] | We’re senior advisers to the president. | 我们是总统的资深顾问 |
[33:49] | Officers of the federal government. Life’s not perfect… | 联邦政府的官员生命并不完美 |
[33:52] | …but why does anyone think we don’t live in a world we construct? | 但为什么有人认为我们不活在 我们建造的这个世界中呢? |
[33:57] | Yeah. Any luck with Polk? | 是啊波克的事还好吗? |
[34:00] | No. | 不好 |
[34:03] | Okay. I may have an announcement for you that’ll knock Polk out of the water. | 好的我或许有项宣布可以给你 让波克翻船 |
[34:07] | – Saying what? – Let me get the wording straight. | -说什么? -让我先把用词弄对 |
[34:29] | It says here that before Social Security, half of all seniors died in poverty. | 这里指出在社会福利实施之前 半数的老年人是死于贫穷的 |
[34:34] | – And now, almost none do. – Yeah. | -而现在几乎没有一个是 -是的 |
[34:36] | Must’ve been a pretty great day when they passed it. | 他们通过法案那天 一定是很棒的一天 |
[34:39] | During the floor debate, one Republican called it “the lash of the dictator. “ | 在议员席辩论时一位共和党议员 称之为“独裁者的鞭打” |
[34:44] | Another said it would “enslave workers. “ | 另一位称之为“奴役工人” |
[34:46] | Social Security? | 社会福利吗? |
[34:49] | And some on the far left dismissed it as a half measure. A cop-out. | 而一些极左翼的人视之为半途的手段 是一种逃避 |
[34:55] | A way to plug holes in a dying capitalist system. | 一种在即将死去资本系统中 挖洞的方式 |
[35:00] | Is it…? Can I ask, what did the president…? | 这是? 我能问一下吗总统他? |
[35:04] | He wanted me to put this back in the box. | 他要我把这议题放回原位 |
[35:07] | How do you do that? | 你要怎么做呢? |
[35:10] | By taking the blame for everything that happened. | 借由承担下所有发生之事的责难 |
[35:24] | You’re up to something. You lied to me. | 你有某些意图 你对我说了谎 |
[35:26] | The president won’t say what it is, but you work for me. | 总统不会说那是什么 但是你为我工作 |
[35:30] | – I do. – Tell me what you’re up to. | -我是的 -告诉我你要做什么 |
[35:31] | Tell me why half the caucus thinks we’re squeezing Gaines. | 告诉我为何一半以上的政党委员 都认为我们在压迫甘司 |
[35:35] | Or we have serious problems. | 否则我们的问题就大了 |
[35:45] | No problems. | 没有问题 |
[35:53] | There’s a reason we have a chain of command. | 我们有指挥系统是有原因的 |
[35:57] | So people don’t take fliers, and I don’t hand you their resignations. | 人民不喜欢传单我不会交给你 他们的辞呈 |
[36:00] | I wanted to believe he could do it. | 我想要相信他可以办得到 |
[36:03] | – I wanted to believe as much as he did. – This isn’t Never-Never Land, sir. | -我很想相信他可以办得到 -这里并不是非现实幻境长官 |
[36:07] | – Believing is not enough. – You would’ve stopped it. | -相信是不够的 -你本来是可以阻止的 |
[36:10] | – Because it’s my job. – It’s my life, Leo. | -因为那是我的工作 -那是我的生命里奥 |
[36:14] | I’m the one who’s accountable. | 我是该负责的人 |
[36:15] | Not in the papers, or the Democratic cloakroom… | 不是对媒体 或是对民主党议会 |
[36:18] | …but in 50, 100 years, when Tuesday’s poll samples have crumbled into dust. | 但在50、100年之后 当星期二的民调样本粉碎成尘埃 |
[36:22] | You can’t will yourself a legacy. | 你无法为自己流传名声 |
[36:25] | You think there’s a room at the Smithsonian… | 你认为在史密斯博物馆有一间房间 |
[36:27] | …for guys who never even tried? | 是给从来没有尝试过的人的吗? |
[36:34] | You have to accept Toby’s letter. | 你必须接受托比的信 |
[36:55] | Five years, I never thought we’d have secrets. | 5年了我从未想过我们会有秘密 |
[36:58] | “Let thy discontents be thy secrets. “ | “让你的不满成为你的秘密” |
[37:01] | Only if you want them to stay discontent. | 只有如果你想让他继续不满 |
[37:09] | C.J. showed me your resignation. | 茜洁给我看了你的辞呈 |
[37:14] | Why didn’t you tell me? You don’t trust me? | 你为何没有告诉我呢? 你不相信我? |
[37:18] | I didn’t because you would’ve body-blocked me. | 我没有是因为 你会用身体阻挡我的 |
[37:20] | Because it was a stupid thing and you knew it. | 因为这是愚蠢的事而且你知道 |
[37:23] | Don’t you wanna take back Congress? We can legislate on 100 of our issues. | 你不想夺回国会吗?我们可以立法 100条我们的议题 |
[37:26] | Spoken like a true reformer. | 像是改革者一样高谈阔论 |
[37:28] | I’d like to swim the English Channel too. Takes more than jumping off a pier. | 我也想要游过英吉力海峡 那比从码头跳下去难多了 |
[37:33] | So exploit the hard stuff? That’s what we wanna be remembered for? | 开发困难的东西?那就是我们希望 被记住的吗? |
[37:37] | We do what’s possible. We exploit what’s not. | 我们做可能做的事 开发不可能的事 |
[37:40] | That’s how we win elections. | 那便是我们如何赢得选举的 |
[37:42] | Well, I came up on losing campaigns. | 我走过了失去选战 |
[37:45] | And every time I lost, at least I knew what I went down for. | 而每次我选输 至少我知道我失败的原因是什么 |
[37:49] | Carney knew. | 卡尼知道了 |
[37:51] | What do the losers get to do about Social Security? | 输家跟社会福利有什么关系呢? |
[37:53] | Losers kick up dirt to keep the debate going. Maybe my letter will do that. | 输家踢起灰尘让辩论持续下去 或许我的信也有相同功效 |
[37:57] | – Make you a martyr. – Make someone pick up the ball. | -让你成为烈士 -让有人捡起球来 |
[38:00] | Inch by inch, we’re moving the line of compromise. | 一步一步走我们正在移动 妥协的那条线 |
[38:03] | This isn’t Sunday school. It’s the world capital of politics. | 这不是主日学校 这是世界的政治首都 |
[38:08] | I could have told you Gaines wasn’t gonna move. | 我可以告诉你甘司根本不会动摇的 |
[38:11] | He did. He said he’d move on private accounts. | 他有他说他会动议私人帐户上 |
[38:15] | You got the subcommittee chairman to move on private accounts? | 你让小组委员会主席动议私人帐户? |
[38:19] | That’s like inhaling a baby grand. | 那就像是吸入小型钢琴一样 |
[38:24] | Yeah. | 是的 |
[38:26] | Well, he’s out now. | 他现在已经出局了 |
[38:29] | Turner. | 登那 |
[38:32] | What? | 什么? |
[38:35] | Roy Turner. | 罗伊登那 |
[38:38] | You’re saying that you’ll… | 所以你是说你会 |
[38:39] | …ask the Democrats to trim benefits over the next 20 years… | 要求民主党删减在接下来 20年的福利 |
[38:43] | …raise the retirement age and give up on this issue forever. | 提高退休年龄 并永远放弃此议题 |
[38:47] | If I can tell them you’ll settle for private accounts, on top of Social Security. | 如果我可以告诉他们你会为了 私人帐户而妥协除了社会福利 |
[38:51] | And raise the income limit on Social Security taxes. | 而且在社会福利税收上 提高收入限制 |
[38:54] | We protect FDR’s legacy, and admit changes have to be made to save it. | 我们保护罗斯福的遗志并承认 必须要有变更才能拯救它 |
[38:59] | – What about political cover? – We call off the stunts. | -那政治掩护呢? -我们取消那些动作 |
[39:02] | The DNC won’t use this deal against any Republican who votes for it. | 民主党全国党代表运用此议题来对抗 任何反对的共和党员 |
[39:07] | What are the chances this passes? | 这个通过的机率有多大呢? |
[39:09] | Republicans would like to end the demagoguery on this issue. | 共和党想要结束此议题的煽动行为 |
[39:12] | They’ll be grateful that you approached me with a deal. | 他们会很感谢你跟我接触提供协议 |
[39:15] | Actually…. | 事实上 |
[39:17] | To sell this to Democrats… | 将这卖给民主党 |
[39:20] | – … I have to say you approached me. – No. That’s a deal-breaker for me. | -我必须要说是你接触我 -不这对我就是协议破局了 |
[39:24] | If it looks like a Democratic setup… | 如果这看起来像是民主党安排的 |
[39:26] | I can’t look like a fig leaf for some risky scheme to shred Social Security. | 我不能看起来像是某种危险计划要 危害社会福利的大树叶 |
[39:31] | We’re saving it, not shredding it. | 我们是要拯救它不是危害它 |
[39:33] | So you can drive a wedge into private accounts? | 所以你可将大把钞票 放入私人帐户? |
[39:36] | You’d like to see it bankrupt? | 你希望看到它破产吗? |
[39:38] | Closest we’ve been to in 20 years and it breaks over who he approached first? | 20年来我们最接近 却因为谁先接触谁而破局吗? |
[39:42] | If he approached Republicans, he’s a right-wing sellout. | 如果他接触共和党他就是出卖右翼 |
[39:45] | Approach the Democrats, he’s a fire-breathing partisan. | 接触民主党就是喷火的强硬派 |
[39:48] | Hard enough caving on principle without looking like it. | 很难没有看而退让原则 |
[39:52] | And we have a little problem called The Wall Street Journal. | 而我们有个小问题是 《华尔街日报》 |
[39:59] | – We don’t take credit. – What? | -我们不接受功劳 -什么? |
[40:02] | We don’t take credit at all. | 我们完全不接受功劳 |
[40:04] | It’s the only way. | 这是唯一的办法 |
[40:07] | They approached each other. Bipartisan down the line. | 他们互相接触 两个政党一起合作 |
[40:10] | No one can say I’m setting anyone up. | 没有人可以说我是在设计谁 |
[40:12] | Mr. President, a victory like this comes along once in a generation. | 总统先生 如此胜利一代只有一次 |
[40:16] | We’ll have saved the New Deal, and no one will know we were in the room. | 我们必须拯救新协议 没有人会知道我们同在一个房间 |
[40:21] | We’ll know. | 我们会知道的 |
[40:24] | If we don’t do this…. | 如果我们不这样做 |
[40:29] | If this system collapses, which is what’ll happen…. | 如果这个系统崩溃了 将来就是会这样 |
[40:33] | If we go back to bread lines… | 如果我们回到分配救济品队伍 |
[40:35] | …if growing old in America means growing poor again, we’ll know that too. | 如果在美国老去代表的就是会变成 再度贫穷我们也会知道的 |
[40:41] | There is no such thing as an invisible legacy, sir. | 没有所谓的无形遗产的长官 |
[40:49] | You have to know you’d be giving it away. | 你必须要知道你要放弃 |
[40:56] | All day, we’ve been talking about my legacy, my portrait… | 整天我们一直在谈我的传奇 我的划像 |
[40:59] | …what’s gonna be carved on my tombstone. | 我的墓碑上要刻什么文字 |
[41:03] | Maybe we pay a little more attention to what’s being rendered. | 或许我们多关心一点 被呈报的是什么 |
[41:07] | And the rendering takes care of itself. | 而呈报本身就能解决问题 |
[41:12] | It was time for both parties to come together… | 该是时候让两党一起 |
[41:15] | … to secure the long-term future of Social Security. | 拯救社会福利的长期未来 |
[41:18] | For years, Social Security has been the third rail of politics. | 多年以来社会福利一直是政治上的 第三条铁道 |
[41:21] | But we’re willing to take risks, to set aside divisions… | 但是我们愿意承担风险 屏弃分歧 |
[41:24] | … and we are hopeful that House leaders and President Bartlet will also… | 而且我们希望众议员领导以及 巴特勒总统也将可以 |
[41:29] | So much for The Wall Street Journal. It’s a political tsunami. | 《华尔街日报》就是这样 这是政治上的大海啸 |
[41:33] | What’d you tell Polk? | 你怎么告诉波克的? |
[41:35] | That they asked us to be part of this, and we said no. | 他们要求我们加入而我们说不 |
[41:40] | Okay. | 好的 |
[41:44] | So, what do we do when Republicans and Democrats… | 那当共和党跟民主党 不再用社会福利议题 |
[41:47] | …no longer have Social Security to thrash each other with? | 互相攻击时 我们该做什么呢? |
[41:52] | We move on to Medicare. | 我们把议题转移到医疗保险 |
[41:55] | We can’t let that happen to people with disabilities. | 我们不能让有这种事发生 在残障人士身上 |
[41:58] | We can’t let that happen to the social safety net… | 我们不能让它发生在我们 努力营造的 |
[42:01] | … that we have labored as a society to pitch. | 社会安全上面 |
[42:05] | Always the slow news days, huh? | 总是没有什么新闻是吗? |
[42:08] | Gaines, one of that body’s leading free-market conservatives… | 甘司自由市场保守派领导之一 |
[42:12] | … slaying just about every sacred cow… | 几乎屠杀了每头圣牛 |
[42:15] | … really sticking their necks out to fix America’s retirement program. | 很尽所能整治美国的退休计划 |
[42:19] | No word on whether House and Senate leaders might bring this to the floor… | 参众两院领导没有评论是否会将 对此提呈上议事席 |
[42:24] | … but this certainly puts pressure on the White House… | 但是这肯定将会对白宫施压 |
[42:26] | … which has shown no eagerness to trade away their… | 而白宫并不积极想要交换协议 |
[42:29] | … most potent political issue for the next election cycle. | 他们下次选举最有力的政治议题 |
[42:33] | The heat’s on President Bartlet now. Will he come late to this reform party? | 巴特勒总统目前的压力 他会不会太晚加入此改革派对了呢? |
[42:38] | Later this evening, we’ll be talking with several… | 今晚稍后 我们将会谈几位 |