时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:07] | So tomorrow’s the big day. | 所以明天是个大日子 |
[00:09] | – What? – Mystery Ben. | -什么? -神秘的班先生 |
[00:10] | – What about him? – Coming to say hello. | -他怎样? -要过来问候你一声 |
[00:12] | – No, he isn’t. – He’s in town and called. | -不他没有 -他到城里打电话来过了 |
[00:14] | – You gave him an appointment? – He seemed nice. | -你让他预约时间了? -他人似乎很好 |
[00:17] | – He is nice. Very nice. Also very married. – Not anymore. | -他很好非常好也结婚了 -不再是了 |
[00:20] | I wanted to give you a heads-up. | 我只是想先跟你说一下 |
[00:21] | – I’m gonna start volunteering. – Volunteering? | -我要开始当义工了 -义工? |
[00:24] | – Washington Free Clinic. – You’re gonna practice medicine again? | -华盛顿免费诊所 -你要重新行医? |
[00:26] | I’ll be helping out a bit. | 只是帮点忙 |
[00:28] | I’m sorry. Are you licensed to practice medicine? | 我很抱歉你有执照行医吗? |
[00:30] | I voluntarily chose to stop practicing, C.J. | 茜洁我是自愿停止的 |
[00:32] | I never said I was hanging up my stethoscope for good. | 我从未说永远不再行医 |
[00:38] | Preliminary results indicate an alarmingly high prevalence of infection. | 初次的结果显示 感染流行程度惊人 |
[00:42] | U.S. rates are 14 percent, whereas of patient volunteers we investigated… | 美国的比率是百分之十四 自愿接受实验的病人 |
[00:46] | …48 percent tested positive for HPV. | 有百分之四十八的比率 测出人类乳突病毒阳性 |
[00:50] | Take a message. | 帮我留言 |
[00:56] | And bring me the PCR data as well. | 顺便给我聚合酵素链锁反应数据 |
[00:58] | Dr. Foy’s office. | 佛伊博士办公室 |
[01:01] | I’m sorry, Dr. Foy isn’t available. | 对不起佛伊博士没空 |
[01:06] | Hold on a sec. | 请稍等一下 |
[01:11] | Congressman Bentley’s office. | 班利众议员的办公室 |
[01:12] | They’re reviewing one of your NIH grants. | 他们在审查你一个 国家卫生研究院的赞助计划 |
[01:22] | Thanks. | 谢谢 |
[01:23] | Lewis Foy. | 我是路易斯佛伊 |
[01:26] | That’s very nice. | 那很好 |
[01:29] | I’m sorry, which congressman? | 对不起哪位议员? |
[01:32] | Which project? | 哪个研究? |
[01:34] | Let me put you on speaker so I can find my grants file. | 让我用免持听筒 我去找找看我的赞助档案 |
[01:40] | The congressman is especially impressed with your work on… | 议员对你的研究工作 感到印象深刻 |
[01:43] | Wait, I have it right here. | 等一下我找到了 |
[01:45] | Human papilloma virus in commercial sex workers in San Juan, Puerto Rico. | 波多黎各圣璜地区 性工作者的人类乳突病毒研究 |
[01:50] | But why the interest in Puerto Rico? Why focus on sex workers? | 不过为何在波多黎各? 为何焦点放在性工作者? |
[01:54] | Is that really of scientific value? | 这真的有科学上的价值吗? |
[01:57] | I just submitted my noncompeting renewal. | 我刚送交我的非竞争性赞助续约 |
[01:59] | – Ellie? – Confirm your home address? | -艾莉? -请确认你的住址? |
[02:02] | – He needs you. – How is that relevant? | -他要找你 -这有什么关联? |
[02:04] | The address we have is 536 Washburn Lane. | 我们这边记录的住址是 华许朋巷536号 |
[02:07] | Are you a registered voter, sir? | 你是有注册的选民吗先生? |
[02:09] | Our records indicate that you’re a registered Democrat. | 我们的记录显示 你是一个注册的民主党员 |
[02:11] | – How’s that your business? – Can you tell me who you voted for? | -这干你什么事? -你可以告诉我你投票给谁吗? |
[02:14] | Maybe she’s overreacting. Maybe I’m overreacting. | 也许她是反应过度了 也许是我反应过度了 |
[02:17] | – Maybe. – He never mentioned her. | -也许 -他从没提到她 |
[02:19] | He never made reference to her working in the lab. | 他没提到她也在研究室工作 |
[02:22] | Okay. | 好 |
[02:23] | The old “Let’s lift up this rock, see if we find something wiggling underneath. “ | 老套的“抬起这块大石头 看看是否有一些可疑的蛛丝马迹” |
[02:27] | Just happened to be her rock. | 是她沉重的大石头 |
[02:28] | She’s so sensitive. You know she’d freak if anyone even hints at nepotism. | 她很敏感只要有人暗示用自己人 她就会发火的 |
[02:34] | – Tell me this is nothing to worry about. – This is nothing to worry about. | -跟我说这事没什么好担心的 -没什么好担心的 |
[02:38] | Toby. | 托比 |
[02:40] | – Which congressman was it? – Bentley. | -是哪个议员? -班利 |
[02:43] | House Reform. How many U.S. research labs come with the president’s daughter? | 议院改革全美有几个研究室 正好有总统的女儿在的? |
[02:47] | Whether they invoked her or not, they wouldn’t call unless they had something. | 不管有没有惊动她 他们不会没事打电话去的 |
[02:51] | Somebody’s out for blood, and they’re targeting Ellie Bartlet. | 有人想找麻烦 目标就是艾莉巴特勒 |
[03:43] | Ben will be here at 1. I got the back table at 1789. | 班一点会到 我订了1789餐厅后面的桌位 |
[03:46] | I told him to wear the painter’s pants so you won’t be tempted to jump him. | 我还叫他穿工作裤 你才不会不由自主的扑到他身上 |
[03:50] | – He has a meeting at 3. – Nice work. | -他三点要开会 -做得好 |
[03:52] | Those would have to be seriously hideous painter’s pants. | 必须是真的很讨人厌的工作裤 才挡得住你 |
[03:55] | Now that you slept on it, the call to Foy wasn’t about Ellie… | 现在你思考一夜了 打给佛伊那通电话跟艾莉无关 |
[03:58] | …I have a happy day? – Now that I slept on it, it’s worse. | -我今天应该会比较轻松吧? -我仔细一想情况更不妙 |
[04:01] | In the governor’s mansion she got $5 allowance for doing a boatload of chores. | 在州长期间她的确有做一堆家务 拿到5块钱的零用钱 |
[04:05] | – He isn’t steering money to his daughter. – Not the president, us. | -他没有把钱挪给他女儿用 -不是总统是我们的人 |
[04:08] | Some overeager NIH lackey trying to curry favor. | 有些在国家卫生研究院的马屁精 想拍点马屁 |
[04:12] | This conversation would be easier… | 我要不是被一团迷雾罩住的话 |
[04:14] | …were I not fighting through a cloud of Obsession. | 这段对话应该会更容易一点 |
[04:16] | There’s no cloud. | 这可不是什么迷雾 |
[04:18] | It’s about to precipitate out, rain Obsession. | 就要凝结成滂沱大雨了 |
[04:20] | I’ve got a brief. | 我有个简报 |
[04:22] | I’ll get a breakdown of Foy’s funding. | 我会弄佛伊赞助金的分析报告 |
[04:24] | Hope like hell it hasn’t gone up since Ellie started working in his lab. | 希望没有因为艾莉加入他的研究后 赞助金就愈来愈丰富 |
[04:27] | – I’ll call Mike Rafter, House committee. – Thank you. | -我会联络议院委员会的麦克拉夫特 -谢谢你 |
[04:30] | It’s not about you. I’d do anything to avoid… | 没别的意思 不过换成是我会尽可能避免 |
[04:33] | …using “Mr. President” and “your daughter” in the same sentence. | 把“总统先生”和“你女儿” 放在同一个句子里 |
[04:36] | What did you think of the Lawrence opinion? | 你对罗伦斯的主张有何看法? |
[04:38] | You keeping track of the court these days? | 你最近还在留意法院的事吗? |
[04:41] | When I’m not color-coding the president’s M&M’s. | 只要我没帮总统的 彩色巧克力分类的话 |
[04:44] | Still smarting I had to carry your ass through Con Law? | 还为了我在宪法课罩你的事 而大感不舒服吗? |
[04:47] | You didn’t have to carry. | 你根本不必麻烦的 |
[04:48] | You thought strict scrutiny was a pickup technique. | 你以为通过严格的课业审查 是可轻易过关的 |
[04:51] | Hey, it worked on Pam Sussman. | 嘿潘苏丝曼就可轻易到手 |
[04:53] | I mean, not that well. How is your lovely wife? | 好吧也没那么容易 你美丽的妻子还好吗? |
[04:56] | She’s good. | 她很好 |
[04:59] | So Georgetown offered me dean of the law school. | 乔治城有说过 要给我法学院院长的职位 |
[05:03] | That’s great. Except, aren’t you a judicial nominee for the 6th Circuit? | 太好了只不过你不是 第六上诉法庭的法官被提名人? |
[05:07] | I’ve been a nominee for 12 months. | 这个人选我已经做十二个月了 |
[05:09] | You knew the confirmation process was an uphill battle. | 你知道这种同意任命的程序 是一场艰困的战役 |
[05:12] | Uphill battle? It’s a permanent gag order. | 艰困的战役? 是永久的禁制令才对 |
[05:14] | I can’t write, I can’t publish. | 我不能写作不能出版 |
[05:16] | Hell, I can’t even debate cases with my students. | 要命连跟我学生辩论都不行 |
[05:18] | Not to mention I’ve had a bull’s eye on my back for 12 months. | 更别说我已经当 十二个月的箭靶了 |
[05:22] | They called my wife, my brother, my ex-girlfriend. | 他们打电话给我太太 我兄弟、我前女友 |
[05:24] | These things take time. | 这种事是很花时间的 |
[05:25] | Republicans have blocked your nominations since you took office. | 自从巴特勒就职后 共和党就封杀你们的提名 |
[05:29] | Drop out, you close this door forever. | 一退出你就会把大门永远关了 |
[05:31] | I’m not sure this door was ever open. | 我不确定这扇门有没有开过 |
[05:35] | – When does Georgetown need to know? – No, don’t do this to me. | -乔治城什么时候需要你的答覆? -不别害我 |
[05:38] | – End of the week. – Give me till then. | -本周结束前 -给我这段时间 |
[05:40] | – To do what? – To fix it. | -要做什么? -去解决这件事 |
[05:47] | They said they’d call back. | 他们说他们会再打电话过来 |
[05:50] | You told Congressman Bentley it was the White House calling? | 你有告诉班利众议员 是白宫的打去电话吗? |
[05:53] | Toby Ziegler? From the White House? | 是托比齐格?从白宫打去的? |
[05:55] | Maybe you’re running out of shizzle. | 也许你已经没那么拽了 |
[05:57] | I looked up his funding on the NIH’s public website. | 我在国家卫生研究院网站 看过他的赞助经费资料 |
[06:00] | The money for last year is the same as before Ellie started working. | 他们去年的经费 跟艾莉去那里工作之前一样 |
[06:03] | Okay, $ 14 more. Maybe they gave him a new trash can. | 好吧多了十四块钱 也许他们给了他一个新的垃圾桶 |
[06:06] | Try Bentley again… | 再打给班利 |
[06:08] | …look at not-so-direct ways we’d send money in Dr. Foy’s direction… | 看看有没有 不是很直接拨给佛伊博士的经费 |
[06:11] | …and please don’t say “shizzle. “ | 还有请别说“拽”这个字 |
[06:16] | Mrs. Bartlet ditched the board of regents meeting? | 巴特勒夫人放弃 董事会的会议? |
[06:18] | You find her smoking at the Smithsonian? | 你发现她在史密森中心抽烟? |
[06:20] | She was working at the clinic, sent a proxy… | 她以前在那诊所工作 她有派一个代理过去 |
[06:23] | …but Chairwoman Dorthea Lodge is mad and threatening to go to the press. | 不过女董事朵乐西罗姬很火大 威胁要跟媒体说 |
[06:27] | Mad she had to go to the regents meeting. | 气她把事闹上董事会 |
[06:29] | We’ve got an image problem. The stories aren’t dying down. | 我们有形象上的问题 这种故事是不会无疾而终的 |
[06:32] | The press doesn’t know what to do with the first lady. | 媒体不知道该如何处理 第一夫人的事 |
[06:34] | Nobody does, including the president. He’d like you to sit down with her. | 大家都不晓得包括总统在内 他希望你能跟她谈谈 |
[06:38] | – Happy to help. – She’s in the Mural Room. | -我很乐意协助 -她就在壁划厅 |
[06:41] | Now? I have a… | 现在吗?我还有一个 |
[06:44] | Had a lunch. I’m just gonna go cancel it. | 有个无缘的午餐之约 我先去取消 |
[06:47] | Are you wearing White Shoulders? | 你喷“白色香肩”这款香水吗? |
[06:50] | My piano teacher used to wear White Shoulders. | 以前我的钢琴老师 老是喷白色香肩 |
[06:53] | Not as much. | 没这么浓就是 |
[07:02] | Hi. | 嗨 |
[07:05] | Hi. | 嗨 |
[07:07] | Long time. | 好久了 |
[07:09] | Yeah. | 对 |
[07:11] | – You look great. – You too. | -你看起来很棒 -你也是 |
[07:16] | Sorry, Ben. I can’t have lunch. I don’t have a lot of time. | 对不起班我不能吃中饭 我没什么时间 |
[07:19] | But you did the dance, you paid your dues. | 不过你走了一遭 也付出代价了 |
[07:21] | I want you to know that I’m in. | 我希望你明白我要 |
[07:24] | – What? – Coy is a bad color on me. | -什么? -忸怩作态不是我的本色 |
[07:26] | I’m ready. I’m onboard. I want you to count me in, because I’m in. | 我准备好了我上了 我要你算我一份因为我要 |
[07:32] | I gotta go. Call me later. | 我得走了再打电话给我 |
[07:39] | – Hey, did you get Leo? – He’s booked. | -嘿你有约到里奥吗? -他被预订了 |
[07:42] | Tell Margaret I can talk so fast it won’t take measurable time. | 跟犸格丽特说我会说得很快 不会占用太多时间 |
[07:45] | – I’m waiting for Rodney. – Who? | -我在等罗尼 -谁? |
[07:47] | – Ryan’s roommate. – Ryan’s got a roommate? | -莱恩的室友 -莱恩有室友? |
[07:49] | He’s checking if Ryan’s in his room. He didn’t show today, it’s not like him. | 他去看莱恩是否在他的房间里 他今天没来这不像他的作风 |
[07:53] | Really? Because that seems exactly like him. | 真的吗?这好像就是他的作风 |
[07:55] | He’s never late. He walks in like he’s late, but he’s not. | 他从没迟到 他会装迟到可是他并没有 |
[07:58] | Like you’re on a train and the train next to you is pulling away, only it… | 就像你坐在火车上 旁边的火车好像在动其实 |
[08:02] | Rodney’s taking a long time. | 雷尼让我太久了 |
[08:04] | – Do you think he went back to sleep? – That, or he’s dead now too. | -你想他会不会是又睡着了? -可能或是他也死了 |
[08:08] | Get me Leo. | 帮我联络里奥 |
[08:14] | So, what was it? The tube top to meet the queen of England… | 干嘛?露肩小可爱送英格兰女王 |
[08:17] | …or the low-rise jeans for the North Korean delegation? | 或者送低腰牛仔裤给北韩代表? |
[08:20] | The press didn’t know what to make of you before the MS became public. | 多发性硬化症公开之前 媒体并不知道怎么对你 |
[08:23] | You’ve never been the traditional, hat-knitting president’s wife. | 你一向就不是传统的 正规总统夫人 |
[08:27] | Oh, shoot. Was that in the handbook? | 哦总统手册里是这样的写吗? |
[08:29] | Maybe if you just get me a photographer and seven years’ worth of yarn. | 也许你给我弄来一个摄影师 制造值得谈七年的话题 |
[08:33] | Tell me why you decided to volunteer at the clinic. | 能告诉我 你为什么决定要当诊所的义工 |
[08:35] | Instead of putting out a press release, I decided to help treat children. | 我不想再制造花边新闻 我决定要帮忙治疗儿童 |
[08:39] | – Is there any…? – There are a number… | -有任何? -有一些 |
[08:41] | …of children’s health issues I’m interested in. | 我有兴趣的儿童保健议题 |
[08:44] | I thought it was appropriate to go out and see what was going on firsthand. | 我认为出去看看第一手的进展 是很得体的 |
[08:47] | Great. But until the press understands, they’re gonna fill in the blanks… | 太好了不过在媒体了解此事前 他们会自行猜测你的意图是 |
[08:51] | …with self-aggrandizing, vote-grabbing… | 会说做秀、抢票 |
[08:53] | Would you like me to do interviews with the press? | 你要我接受媒体的采访? |
[08:56] | No. They’re the most cynical bastards on the planet. | 不他们本星球 最不相信善念的人种 |
[08:58] | You need to get beyond the Washington echo chamber to the people. | 你得超脱华盛顿这一面倒的环境 直接跟人民对话 |
[09:02] | So, what did you have in mind? | 那你有什么主意? |
[09:04] | I checked out the reject list from your invitation file. | 我看过没被你邀请的对象 |
[09:07] | There are a few I think you should reconsider. The first is Muppets. | 有些我觉得你应该再考虑一下 第一个就是《大青蛙剧场》 |
[09:11] | Pardon? | 什么? |
[09:12] | Sesame Street gives you an opportunity to reintroduce yourself… | 《芝麻街》能给你一个 重新介绍你自己的机会 |
[09:15] | …as the first lady who is also a doctor and address questions about the clinic. | 让大家了解身为第一夫人的你 也是医生能对医疗提出疑问 |
[09:19] | Give a Muppet a checkup, get your message out. | 给一个木偶做检查 把你的讯息传达出去 |
[09:21] | No Meet the Press? | 不是去《会见媒体》? |
[09:22] | – Mrs. Bartlet… – Don’t think I could take Russert? | -巴特勒夫人 -你以为我无法对付罗赛特? |
[09:25] | Why? Five people watch, and it’s the toughest interview in the world. | 干嘛?只有五个人看 而且还是全世界最难的专访 |
[09:28] | I want you on the Surgery Channel, in Women’s Health, the Today show. | 我要你上外科频道的 《女性健康》和《今日》这些节目 |
[09:32] | Mrs. Russell’s approval ratings bumped when she did her cooking segment. | 萝丝尔女士拍了烹饪节目后 形象就大受肯定 |
[09:36] | Her chili was so good, they’re having her back for Christmas. | 她的辣牛肉酱很棒 他们圣诞节还要她回节目 |
[09:39] | You trying to raise my competitive hackles? | 你想提升我的表面竞争力? |
[09:41] | If I were trying to raise your competitive hackles… | 如果我想提升你的表面竞争力 |
[09:44] | …I’d make you watch Diane Sawyer’s duet with Cookie Monster. | 我会安排你欣赏 名嘴主播索耶跟饼干怪兽合唱 |
[09:47] | Muppets? | 大青蛙剧场? |
[09:50] | I wanna set a meeting with the Judiciary Committee’s chief of staff. | 我要安排跟司法委员会主任开个会 |
[09:53] | That’s a productive use of time. | 真是会运用时间 |
[09:55] | Eric Hayden’s gonna withdraw from the nomination process. | 艾瑞克海登要退出提名作业了 |
[09:58] | – Sixth Circuit’s got eight empty seats. – For a year and a half. | -第六上诉法庭有八个空席次 -空了一年半了 |
[10:01] | Because Republicans held up our nominations in committee. | 因为共和党压死我们的提名作业 |
[10:04] | – What else is new? – At least four of those nominees… | -不就是这些老套吗? -这些提名人至少有四个 |
[10:07] | …including Hayden, would be confirmed in a straight up-or-down vote… | 包括海登将会接受 赞成或反对的同意任命投票 |
[10:10] | …if they got out of committee and onto the floor. | 只要案子能被送到参议院去投票 |
[10:13] | In the judicial branch, the seven remaining judges on the circuit… | 在其分院体系 上诉法院剩下的七个法官 |
[10:16] | …are totally overworked, and the cases keep growing. If Hayden withdraws… | 工作完全超过负荷 案子又一直在成长海登若退出 |
[10:20] | You wanna make him the justice-held-hostage poster boy? | 你要让他成为 被司法体系假扣押的法官代言人? |
[10:23] | I bet Republicans on the Judiciary Committee don’t. | 我敢说司法委员会的共和党员 并不想如此 |
[10:26] | – How can they block qualified…? – They blocked nominations since Roe. | -他们怎么可以封锁一个合格的? -从罗伊案后所有提名就被封锁 |
[10:29] | A judge has an opinion on the right to privacy… | 一个法官对稳私权有意见 |
[10:32] | …it’s grounds for killing the nomination. | 便会扼杀提名机会了 |
[10:34] | You think you just waltz in, knock on a few pipes and fix the plumbing? | 你以为只要走进去敲敲水管 整个管线就通了吗? |
[10:38] | – The 6th Circuit… – It’s one lousy appellate court. | -第六上诉法庭 -是很糟的上诉法庭 |
[10:40] | Hayden and the eight empty seats on the circuit epitomize the problem. | 海登和那八个空缺 是这种问题的象征 |
[10:44] | – You think it’s time to do something? – Lunatics, I’m surrounded by lunatics. | -你不觉得也该采取什么行动了? -疯子我被一群疯子围绕 |
[10:48] | I’m gonna set up the meeting. | 我要安排这个会议 |
[10:51] | I got 10 bucks says you’re banging your head against the sink. | 我赌十块钱 你去也等于是去撞墙而已 |
[10:55] | Twenty. | 加到二十块 |
[10:57] | That’s what I figured you’d say, Mike, but thanks for checking. | 我就猜你会这样说 麦克谢谢你帮我问 |
[11:01] | – Your friend couldn’t help? – My friend’s a Democrat. | -你的朋友帮不上忙? -我的朋友是民主党的 |
[11:04] | No one on House Reform who knows anything talks to him. | 议院改革小组 没有人能告诉他什么资讯 |
[11:07] | – What do you got? – Bupkis. | -你有什么消息? -微不足道的 |
[11:08] | Unless Foy got some of the $2 billion Bartlet earmarked for AIDS research. | 只有佛伊拿到巴特勒 特别拨给爱滋研究的那二十亿元 |
[11:12] | Foy’s funding didn’t come from that money. | 佛伊的研究赞助经费 不是来自那笔钱 |
[11:15] | If this is the president’s favoritism, Dr. Foy should find a new sugar daddy. | 如果这是总统在偏袒 佛伊博士最好尽快再找个新金主 |
[11:19] | – Where’s Bentley? – I tried again. | -班利人呢? -我再找找看 |
[11:21] | His assistant promised he’d call soon as he gets off the floor. | 他的助理答应 只要他离开议院就叫他回电 |
[11:24] | He’s not on the floor. There’s no more votes today. | 他不在院里才对 今天没有其他票决事项了 |
[11:29] | – the field for exploration. | 是值得探讨的层面 |
[11:31] | Now, if somebody wants to do a study on depression in childless lesbians… | 如果有人想从事 儿童女同性恋忧郁的研究 |
[11:36] | … I can’t stop them. | 我也不能阻止他们 |
[11:37] | It’s Barbara Layton. | 是芭芭拉蕾顿 |
[11:40] | And there’s Bentley, standing right next to her. | 站在她旁边的是班利 |
[11:42] | – zero benefit? | 没有任何利润? |
[11:45] | – Get C.J. – I have a list… | -快叫茜洁 -我有一张清单 |
[11:47] | … of 255 projects supported by the Bartlet administration… | 是巴特勒执政团队 赞助的255个研究案 |
[11:51] | – C.J., it’s Toby. – Tell him I’m already watching. | -茜洁托比叫你 -跟他说我已经在看了 |
[11:54] | … $ 1,788,000. | 美金一百七十八万八千元整 |
[11:57] | – Dr. Lewis Foy… – Damn it. | -路易斯佛伊博士 -该死 |
[11:59] | … studied papilloma virus in commercial sex workers… | 研究性工作者的乳突病毒 |
[12:12] | She has a list. She made a list. | 她有清单她做了一张清单 |
[12:14] | Haven’t lists gone out with McCarthy and Hula-Hoops? | 麦卡锡时代的黑名单还没用完吗? |
[12:17] | Haven’t these scientists gone through a review process before getting a dollar? | 这些科学家拿到赞助金之前 不都熬过完整的审查程序了吗? |
[12:21] | They knew about Ellie. | 他们知道有艾莉的存在 |
[12:23] | Bentley and Layton knew if they questioned Dr. Foy… | 班利和蕾顿早就知道 如果他们先问佛伊博士 |
[12:25] | …Ellie would contact us and we’d come knocking hard and fast. | 一打草惊蛇艾莉就会通知我们 我们就可以有备而战 |
[12:29] | And I walked right into it. | 我算是直接自投罗网的 |
[12:31] | It’s a full attack and Layton won’t stop until she gets a televised investigation. | 这是有备而来的 蕾顿不弄到媒体前是不会罢手 |
[12:36] | Layton doesn’t care about science? | 蕾顿就不在乎科学吗? |
[12:38] | Didn’t care about artistic expression, then helped dismantle the NEA. | 她以前就不在乎艺术的表达 协助拆散全国教育协会 |
[12:41] | Let’s put out a neutral statement saying the White House has no role… | 我们发表一份中立的声明 表达白宫不干预 |
[12:45] | …in the NIH review process, refer all comments to NIH. | 国家卫生研究院的审查过程 可参考该院所有的评注 |
[12:48] | We might want the fight. We just gotta find out what it is first. Rena! | 我们也许可以打一仗 但要先厘清顺序才行蕊娜! |
[12:51] | Get me a copy of that list! | 给我弄一份那张清单的副本! |
[12:53] | I’m right here. | 我就在这里 |
[12:55] | Find out everything you can about the projects and the investigators… | 找出所有跟研究案 调查员有关的线索 |
[12:59] | …how the list was put together. | 以及那张清单是如何弄出来的 |
[13:00] | Get on the NIH website, look for keywords in project titles… | 上国家卫生研究院网站 找寻每个研究案的关键名称 |
[13:04] | …like “heroin,” “men who sleep with men. “ | 比如说“海洛因” “男人跟男人睡” |
[13:07] | – They’re coming after us. – Yeah. | -他们是针对我们的 -对 |
[13:09] | We can’t put our pieces on the board until we know the game. | 在事态未明之前 我们还不能有所动作 |
[13:12] | Just don’t do anything. Don’t say anything. | 先别做什么也别说什么 |
[13:14] | We don’t want Ellie’s name spilling out because we pressed the wrong button. | 不要泄漏艾莉的名字 因为我们一开始就搞错了 |
[13:18] | We don’t respond, it looks like we have no response. | 我们不回应的话 就显得没反应 |
[13:21] | – I’ll need a party line. – I’ll talk to Leo. | -我需要共用的专线 -我跟里奥说 |
[13:24] | – No, no. Not one of the daughters. – They haven’t involved Ellie yet. | -不不别又是女儿 -他们还没扯到艾莉 |
[13:28] | What happens if he finds out she’s getting dragged into a political tar pit? | 被他发现她也被扯入政治风暴的话 会出什么事? |
[13:32] | We won’t get him to focus on his breakfast order… | 到时候他连早餐吃什么 都不管了 |
[13:35] | …because he’ll be asking for the launch codes. | 因为他会直接要发射火箭的密码 |
[13:40] | What’s C.J. think? | 茜洁怎么想? |
[13:41] | We should hang back with a neutral statement. | 我们应该弄个中立的声明 来挡一阵 |
[13:43] | Hiding under the covers isn’t gonna work. | 躲不是办法 |
[13:47] | Margaret! | 犸格丽特! |
[13:49] | Set up a meeting with Toby and Layton for tomorrow morning. | 明天上午安排托比跟蕾顿开会 |
[13:53] | Let’s see if we can’t negotiate our way out. | 我们先看看 是否能自行协商解决 |
[13:56] | The meeting’s a statement. | 这个会议是一种声明 |
[13:57] | Our guys’ll think we’ve caved, her folks will crow. | 我们的人会以为我们被打败了 她的人会很得意的 |
[14:00] | She’s not sitting down unless she comes out with a pound of flesh. | 她不穷追猛打是不可能的 |
[14:03] | That’s why I gave you till tomorrow. | 所以我给你 到明天前这段时间 |
[14:05] | – The NSC principals are in the Sit Room. – Thanks. | -国安会领导已在战情室等了 -谢谢 |
[14:08] | I’m sorry, but can we really justify spending $800,000… | 很抱歉不过我们真的有理由 花费八十万美元在 |
[14:13] | …on “The Biocultural Approach to the Study… | 女性性幻想与性欲的 |
[14:15] | …of Female Sexual Fantasy and Genital Arousal”? | 生物文化取向研究吗? |
[14:22] | How can we afford not to? | 哪能没理由? |
[14:23] | The president wonders if you’ll join him at the reception for Congressman Scaia. | 总统问你要不要跟他 一起去欢迎史凯亚议员 |
[14:27] | You bet. | 当然要 |
[14:29] | Mrs. Bartlet, people are talking, and I was wondering if you could confirm… | 巴特勒夫人大家都在传 我不知道你愿不愿意证实 |
[14:35] | Yes, Debbie. The Muppets are coming to our very own White House. | 是黛比大青蛙剧场 要来我们白宫 |
[14:40] | I had the good fortune of seeing Judy Garland live at Carnegie Hall… | 我这一生有幸得以亲眼目睹 茱蒂迦伦在卡内基音乐厅演出 |
[14:43] | …but Miss Piggy here, it’s just too much. | 不过猪小妹小姐要来我们这里 真是太了不起了 |
[14:46] | – Debbie’s a big fan. – And you’re not? | -黛比是个大影迷 -难道你就不是吗? |
[14:48] | I’m crazy for Muppets. I’m just trying to act cool. | 我很喜欢大青蛙剧场 我只是很努力在故作镇定而已 |
[14:50] | Ma’am, will Fozzie Bear be in the house? | 夫人福气熊也会来吗? |
[14:54] | Interestingly, Fozzie and Miss Piggy… | 真好玩福气熊和猪小妹 |
[14:57] | …aren’t actually part of the Sesame Street gang. | 并非真的是《芝麻街》里的一员 |
[14:59] | – They’re from The Muppet Show. – What about Kermit? | -他们是《大青蛙剧场》的 -那柯米青蛙呢? |
[15:02] | He is the only crossover. | 他是唯一跨剧场的角色 |
[15:07] | Set me a meeting with the Judiciary chief of staff. | 帮我安排跟司法委员会主任开会 |
[15:10] | – Lisa Wolfe? – We’re gonna put butts in seats. | -丽莎沃菲? -我们得把人弄上席次 |
[15:12] | – I’m packing the court. – Because of Eric Hayden. | -我在重整法庭 -为了艾瑞克海登 |
[15:15] | Because of Eric Hayden, the 6th Circuit’s in crisis… | 为了艾瑞克海登 为了第六上诉法庭的危机 |
[15:17] | …because the judicial nomination process is a mess. | 因为司法的提名过程乱七八糟 |
[15:20] | Is this a “do something impossible to impress the one guy… | 这算完成某件让某个家伙 永生难忘的大事 |
[15:23] | …who impresses you and stole your girl in law school” thing? | 因为他在法学院时抢了你女朋友 让你永生难忘这类的情结吗? |
[15:26] | He didn’t steal my girl. | 他没有抢我女朋友 |
[15:28] | Pam was cute, but when I saw she had eyes for Hayden, I bowed out. | 潘很可爱不过我一发现 她中意的人是海登我就退出了 |
[15:31] | Nothing I take more seriously than getting judges on the federal bench. | 我最在意的是让法官坐上联邦席次 |
[15:35] | How about getting judges on the Supreme Court? | 那让法官上最高法院如何? |
[15:37] | This is the problem. It’s always about the Supreme Court. | 问题在此 总是跟最高法院脱不了干系 |
[15:40] | Nine guys getting all the ink. | 好处全归那九个家伙 |
[15:42] | It’s seven guys and two qualified female jurists. | 是七个家伙 和两个合格的女性法学家 |
[15:44] | The Supreme Court sees 80 cases a year. These guys see close to 20,000. | 最高法院一年才管80个案子 这些基层的却要关照近两万件案子 |
[15:48] | Circuit courts make 99 percent of judge-made law. | 上诉法庭制造出百分之九十九的 法官判例法 |
[15:52] | That is important. You should fix that. Ryan’s still missing, by the way. | 这很重要你要整顿这种状况 对了莱恩还是没来 |
[15:58] | What do C.J. and Big Bird have in common? | 茜洁和大鸟有什么共同点? |
[16:01] | This’ll be fun. No one’s ever made a joke about me and Big Bird. | 太好玩了以前从来没有人 拿我跟大鸟开玩笑 |
[16:04] | Your heads are in Ohio, your feet are in Florida. | 你们的头都在俄亥俄 脚却在佛罗里达 |
[16:06] | Wouldn’t that make us not so much tall as crooked? | 那样子是否让我们看起来 没那么高、那么鸵? |
[16:09] | Maybe. | 也许 |
[16:12] | Is this Layton thing gonna stick? | 蕾顿这件事还不会完吗? |
[16:14] | It’s too soon to tell. | 还很难说 |
[16:16] | Hard to imagine she’ll get any kind of traction. | 很难想像她会搞成怎样 |
[16:18] | If I had a nickel for every Republican… | 如果我有本事让每个共和党员 |
[16:21] | …bloviating about our pansy-ass priorities… | 尽情批评我们的同性恋优先议题 |
[16:23] | – They do love to bloviate. – I mean, isn’t that what the floor is for? | -他们是喜欢大放厥词 -议院不就是这样吗? |
[16:27] | Anyway… | 就这样 |
[16:29] | You want insight into Layton, Toby’s tangled with her. | 你想剖析蕾顿 托比跟她交手过了 |
[16:32] | No, I was just… | 不我只是 |
[16:34] | Thanks. | 谢了 |
[16:36] | – Josh. – Hello, Lisa. | -乔西 -哈啰丽莎 |
[16:39] | Let’s talk about the 6th Circuit. | 我们谈谈第六上诉法庭 |
[16:41] | Not much to talk about. | 没什么好谈的 |
[16:43] | Court’s got eight empty seats. | 法庭有八个空缺 |
[16:46] | – And not a single confirmable nominee. – Really? | -却没有一个能被接受的被提名人 -真的? |
[16:48] | Seems like Eric Hayden’s probably good for 53 yeas on the Senate floor. | 艾瑞克海登似乎已在参议院等53年了 |
[16:52] | That seems unlikely. | 似乎不太可能 |
[16:56] | You heard he’s planning to withdraw? | 你有听说他打算退出? |
[16:58] | – No. But it wouldn’t surprise me. – It surprised me. | -没不过我不会感到意外 -我感到意外 |
[17:01] | The public will be shocked if they hear what the committee’s doing to the circuit. | 听到委员会如何处理第六法庭 大众也会意外的 |
[17:05] | Protecting the most important courts from being overrun by the Green Party? | 就为了保护最重要的法庭席次 免受绿党操纵? |
[17:09] | The Green Party? | 绿党? |
[17:11] | Hayden gave a speech on gay rights five years ago. | 海登曾在五年前 针对同性恋权益发表过演说 |
[17:14] | He said the court should make sodomy laws unconstitutional. | 他说法院应该判鸡奸法违宪 |
[17:17] | The court just made sodomy laws unconstitutional. | 法院已经判鸡奸法违宪了 |
[17:20] | Yes. Let me tell you, our base was thrilled with that decision. | 对我告诉你 我们的总部对这决定大感震惊 |
[17:23] | The press is already writing about the state of the 6th Circuit. | 媒体已经在写第六法庭的事了 |
[17:26] | It’s time to fix this thing. | 现在也该整顿了 |
[17:28] | It’s in both our interests. | 这事攸关我们双方的利益 |
[17:30] | Talk more. | 说下去 |
[17:31] | – We start with Hayden. – And the 6th Circuit. | -我们就从海登开始 -以及第六法庭 |
[17:34] | You show good faith, we’ll sit down, knock back a few beers… | 你表现诚意我们就坐坐 喝几杯啤酒 |
[17:37] | …and see what we can do to fix the greater problem. | 想想看我们应该如何 整顿这个大问题 |
[17:41] | Okay. | 好的 |
[17:42] | If you wanna convince Republicans on the committee we’re starting anew… | 如果你想说服委员会里的共和党人 我们在重组了 |
[17:46] | …you need new nominees. | 你也需要新的提名人选 |
[17:47] | Confirm Hayden. We’ll discuss it. | 先接受海登我们再讨论 |
[17:49] | – They have to fill some seats eventually. – I don’t think so. | -他们最终还是必须填补那些席次 -我不认为如此 |
[17:52] | – They can’t hold out forever. – They can hold out for three years. | -他们不能永远抵制 -他们可以挡个三年 |
[17:56] | They can’t. For six months, they’ve left half the seats on the 6th Circuit empty. | 他们不能才六个月 就造成第六法庭空出一半席次 |
[18:00] | The seats on the 6th Circuit? | 第六法庭的席次? |
[18:02] | How about 15 percent of the federal bench? | 那么联法法庭百分之十五的 联邦席次又如何? |
[18:04] | – What? – A hundred and twenty vacant seats. | -什么? -一百二十个空缺的席次 |
[18:07] | A hundred and twenty empty robes during the last Republican presidency. | 在上次共和党执政期间 有一百二十件没人穿的法袍 |
[18:10] | Didn’t hear Governor Bartlet complaining then. | 当时也没听说巴特勒州长有抱怨 |
[18:13] | Think I like this? | 你以为我喜欢这样? |
[18:15] | Think I think this is the way our government should function? | 你以为我认为这是我们的政府 应有的运作方式? |
[18:18] | I’m a Republican, and I’ve spent every day of the past five years… | 我是共和党的 过去这五年我每一天 |
[18:22] | …wondering whether judges shouldn’t be appointed by executive decree. | 都在思考法官之职 是否不该交由行政命命来任命 |
[18:27] | It’s a political process. | 这是一种政治程序 |
[18:29] | You wanna fill the 6th Circuit, you’ve gotta send us someone we can confirm. | 你想填补第六法庭 就派出我们能接受的人选 |
[18:36] | The assistants in Layton’s office were so happy to give me the list… | 蕾顿办公室的助理 欢欣鼓舞的把这清单给我 |
[18:39] | …I swear I heard a band playing. | 我好像听到有乐队的声音了 |
[18:42] | So why should we study female sex workers at truck stops? | 我们为什么要研究 女性性工作者在货车站的情形? |
[18:45] | Well, what’s the purpose of the study? | 嗯这研究有什么目的? |
[18:48] | To improve and protect public health… | 为了改善、保护大众的健康 |
[18:50] | …scientists have a responsibility to study whatever will lead to answers. | 科学家有责任研究 跟他们要的答案相关的东西 |
[18:54] | – And we have to pay for it? – Yeah. | -然后要我们付钱? -对 |
[18:56] | – If conducted ethically and have merit. – But you said scientists… | -只要执行手法得当而且有优点 -不过你说科学家 |
[18:59] | “Doesn’t approve of HIV being spread through sexual contact. “ | “不认同爱滋病毒 会经由性接触而传播” |
[19:03] | “Drug addicts have made bad personal choices. “ | “药物上瘾影响人们的抉择能力” |
[19:06] | One congresswoman doesn’t get to appoint herself God. | 女议员不能自比为上帝 |
[19:09] | – Anything else? – Yes. | -还有吗? -有 |
[19:10] | I did a Google search for these project titles. | 我在google搜寻过这些研究案的名称 |
[19:13] | The same website keeps coming up. | 出现的都是同一个网址 |
[19:23] | I’m sorry. So I’m supposed to raise my kid on $650 a week… | 很抱歉所以我一星期 只有六百五十元养我的小孩 |
[19:27] | …and shell out for research on safe injection practices among heroin users? | 却还要挤出一点给政府研究 如何让毒虫更安全的注射海洛因? |
[19:31] | Yes. You have a kid? | 对你有小孩? |
[19:33] | Yeah, I have a little girl. | 对我有个小女儿 |
[19:41] | – The Traditional Values Alliance? – They represent church groups. | -传统价值联盟? -他们代表一群教会的团队 |
[19:45] | Yeah, some 50,000 of them. | 对差不多有五万个那么多 |
[19:49] | It’s the same list. | 是同一份清单 |
[19:53] | Get me Mack McCall from the Traditional Values Alliance on the phone. Now. | 帮我联络传统价值联盟的麦克麦寇 现在就打 |
[20:02] | Where’s my 20 bucks? | 二十块钱拿来吧? |
[20:05] | How do you feel about executive decrees? | 你对行政任命权有何看法? |
[20:08] | Love them. I’m making one. I want my money. | 我喜欢我就有一个 我的钱给我 |
[20:11] | Hold on there. I wanna talk about recess appointments. | 等一等我要谈谈休会期任命权 |
[20:14] | – A recess appointment. – Not just one, eight of them. | -一个休会期的任命案 -不只是一个是八个 |
[20:17] | Every vacant seat on the 6th Circuit. | 第六法庭的所有空缺 |
[20:19] | – Fork it over. – Leo. | -快快交出来 -里奥 |
[20:20] | The appointments only last nine months. | 任命效率只有九个月 |
[20:23] | Then we nominate them again, we’re back to square one. | 然后我们再重新提名他们 我们就回到原点了 |
[20:25] | It’s not square one. We increase public awareness, we reexamine the process. | 不是回到原点我们借此 提升大众的注意、再检视这个程序 |
[20:29] | We have a Whiskey Rebellion on the floor. | 我们在议院有革命行动了 |
[20:31] | In response, we circulate a complete bio… | 为回应此事我们循环运用 |
[20:34] | …of every one of our judges and let the country decide who’s right. | 我方的每一个法官 让百姓决定谁才是正确的一方 |
[20:37] | If we have a national debate, it’s gotta be on our terms. | 如果要为此进行全国的辩论 就要配合我方的条件 |
[20:40] | Somebody’s gonna ask if it’s constitutional. | 一定会有人问 是否合乎宪法 |
[20:43] | Justice Warren thought so. | 华伦法官就觉得可以 |
[20:45] | – Earl Warren approved? – Earl Warren was one. | -华伦认同此举? -华伦以前就是这样上的 |
[20:47] | Along with Brennan and Potter Stewart. | 还有布南、波特史都华都是 |
[20:51] | I’ll run it up the flagpole. | 我去做做看了 |
[20:53] | Here you go. | 给你 |
[20:55] | I don’t know. C.J. and Big Bird are so tall that what? | 我不知道 茜洁和大鸟都有那么高吗? |
[20:59] | – You do cartwheels… – We kick God’s chin? | -你们做转手大动作 -就会打到上帝的下巴吗? |
[21:01] | We trip, hit our heads on the Moon? Do pushups, burn our backs on the Sun? | 我们滑一跤头会直接撞到月亮? 做伏地挺身背会被太阳烤到? |
[21:04] | – And you read The Tall Street Journal. – Go away. | -而且你看的是《华尔高街日报》 -滚蛋 |
[21:08] | Dems scheduled special-order speeches in defense of pure science. | 民主党在筹办特别演讲 作为防御纯科学的活动 |
[21:11] | Pro-family groups are coming to Layton’s defense. | 全美爱家社团要支持蕾顿 |
[21:14] | A letter signed by 237 members of the National Academy of Sciences… | 有一封由国家科学院 237个会员所签署的信件 |
[21:17] | …calling the list scientific McCarthyism… | 指出那个清单 是科学界的麦卡锡黑名单 |
[21:20] | …and the head of the NIH just put out a statement. | 国家卫生研究院的院长 刚刚做出一份声明 |
[21:23] | “I have ordered an immediate review of all relevant projects. ” Great. | “我已经下令立即审查 所有相关的研究案” 太好了 |
[21:27] | There’s a whole new Sesame Street since my girls were little. | 现在的《芝麻街》跟我女儿小时候 变化已经很大了 |
[21:30] | Gordon and Susan got married. Maria has a daughter that’s almost grown. | 哥登和苏姗结婚了 犸丽亚有个女儿几乎都成人了 |
[21:34] | – What about Bob? – Bob is still there. He looks fantastic. | -鲍伯呢? -鲍伯还在他看起来帅毙了 |
[21:38] | You have a handsome man in your doorway. | 你的门口站个大帅哥 |
[21:41] | – Carol? – He really needed to talk to you. | -卡萝? -他真的得找你谈谈 |
[21:43] | Hello. I’m Abbey Bartlet. | 你好我是艾碧巴特勒 |
[21:46] | – Ben Dryer, ma’am. – Yes, but who are you to our C.J.? | -我是班杜莱尔夫人 -是不过你是我们茜洁的什么人? |
[21:49] | Well, that’s an excellent question, Mrs. Bartlet. | 嗯问题问得真好巴特勒夫人 |
[21:52] | – Would you excuse us a moment? – Nice to meet you. | -能让我们独处一会儿吗? -幸会了 |
[21:54] | Ben, whatever this is, this isn’t a good time. | 班无论什么事 现在都不是谈的时候 |
[21:57] | What…? What does that mean, you’re in? | 什么?你说“你要”是什么意思? |
[22:01] | You. Me. | 你我 |
[22:03] | Together. | 在一起 |
[22:04] | We haven’t seen each other in six years. | 我们六年没见过面了 |
[22:06] | We haven’t slept together in 15. | 我们十五年没一起睡过了 |
[22:08] | So, what, are we engaged? | 现在是怎样我们订了吗? |
[22:11] | I have a daughter, an ex-wife. | 我有个女儿一个前妻 |
[22:12] | I have an ex-wife’s mother that I have to take care of. | 还有个前岳母得照顾 |
[22:15] | What, are we gonna have kids? We should probably get cracking. | 还有我们要生小孩吗? 如果要手脚就得快 |
[22:19] | – I didn’t… – Yeah. | -我不是 -对 |
[22:20] | – Excuse me. Hi. Hi. Sorry… – All right. | -不好意思嗨嗨对不起 -好吧 |
[22:24] | I just got off with Mack McCall of the Traditional Values Alliance. | 我刚刚跟传统价值联盟的 麦克麦寇讨论完 |
[22:27] | The $2 billion earmarked for AIDS research is actually… | 他们认为拨给爱滋研究的 二十亿特别款其实是 |
[22:30] | …a pseudoscientific slush fund for the president’s daughter. | 给总统女儿的 假科学真马屁经费 |
[22:34] | She doesn’t work in HIV. They’re kooks. | 她不是研究爱滋病毒的 他们是笨蛋 |
[22:36] | – With a press conference on national TV. – Oh, my God. | -会有全国电视网的记者会 -哦我的天 |
[22:39] | Where’s Ellie? The press will be all over her. | 艾莉人呢?媒体会缠着她的 |
[22:41] | We’ve got about 30 minutes to keep her under wraps. | 我们大约还有三十分钟 可以把她藏起来 |
[22:44] | Ron Butterfield. | 朗巴特菲尔 |
[22:46] | – Get me the Washington bureau… – C.J. | -帮我联络华盛顿的 -茜洁 |
[22:48] | – under heavy fire when members of the House committee… | 议院委员会的成员重炮出击 |
[22:50] | – Toby. – … began investigations… | -托比 -开始调查 |
[22:52] | … into 255 scientific research projects. | 255个科学研究案例 |
[22:55] | The projects, all funded with NIH grants… | 这些研究案例都是 国家卫生研究院赞助的 |
[22:58] | … were deemed of questionable scientific value by the critics. | 而且其科学价值受到相当质疑 |
[23:01] | And in a recent turn, Miss Bartlet was believed to be… | 最近的大发现是 据称巴特勒小姐正是 |
[23:04] | … on the receiving end of $ 2 billion appropriated to AIDS research. | 接受爱滋研究 二十亿拨款的那一方 |
[23:07] | That money was earmarked last year by President Bartlet. | 这笔款项是在去年 由巴特勒总统特别拨给的 |
[23:10] | Accusations of nepotism are coming swift from the right… | 右翼发出偏袒自家人的 强烈批评 |
[23:13] | … but as we see here today, the events are still unfolding. | 不过如我们今日在此所见 整个事件依然尚未得到证实 |
[23:19] | Dr. Bartlet is the president’s daughter, a postdoctoral fellow at Johns Hopkins… | 巴特勒博士是总统的女儿 是约翰霍普金斯的博士后研究员 |
[23:24] | … where she studies human papilloma virus, or HPV… | 她的研究领域是人类乳突病毒 |
[23:27] | … in Puerto Rican sex workers. | 研究对象是波多黎各的性工作者 |
[23:29] | – So is she okay? – The Secret Service was right there. | -所以她很安全? -密勤组就在那里 |
[23:31] | How is this possible?! This is my family! What the hell are you people thinking?! | 这怎么可能?这可是我的家人! 你们这些人在想什么? |
[23:36] | – Oh, my. – I’d yell too. | -哦哇 -要是我我也会吼 |
[23:38] | Ellie’s off-limits! Has everyone on my staff…? | 艾莉是禁区! 我的每一个手下难道? |
[23:41] | How can the Traditional Values Alliance link AIDS money with what Ellie does? | 传统价值联盟怎么会把爱滋经费 跟艾莉的研究串联在一起? |
[23:45] | Aren’t AIDS and HPV different areas of research? | 爱滋跟人类乳突不是 不同的研究领域吗? |
[23:48] | They’re both below the waist. | 都是属于腰部以下的领域 |
[23:50] | HPV is a sexually transmitted virus that’s been linked to cervical cancer. | 人类乳突是经由性行为传播的病毒 跟子宫颈癌有关 |
[23:54] | Just get them the hell in here! | 快把他们叫过来! |
[23:57] | Come on. | 快进来 |
[23:59] | – two HPV vaccines. The Center for Disease Control… | 两种人类乳突疫苗 疾病控制中心 |
[24:02] | When the NIH was founded, the idea was simple: | 当全国卫生研究院成立之时 理念很简单: |
[24:05] | Identify the best research as defined by scientists themselves. | 就是由科学家自己定义出 最好的研究案 |
[24:09] | Now these people, who are not even scientists… | 现在这些人 这些根本不是科学家的人 |
[24:12] | …have answered all the questions before any science is done? | 抢在科学研究尚未完成之前 出面来回答问题? |
[24:15] | Ever seen one of these grant applications? | 有看过这些赞助研究的运用了吗? |
[24:17] | We’re lucky Einstein didn’t have to fill one out… | 我们很幸运 爱因斯坦不用管这些 |
[24:20] | …or God knows what E would equal. | 不然天晓得能量会等于什么 |
[24:24] | So tell me what you’re doing. | 你们现在都在做什么娱乐 |
[24:25] | Right now, I might as well let loose buzzards in Ellie’s apartment… | 现在我就好想让艾莉住的公寓 警报响到不行 |
[24:29] | …for all the good you’re doing. | 以回报大家的功劳 |
[24:31] | Pretty sure Layton’s known about Ellie… | 我们很笃定蕾顿知道艾莉的事 |
[24:33] | …but she covered her tracks by having Bentley call other researchers. | 不过她一直没打草惊蛇 她让班利联络其他的研究人员 |
[24:37] | – What do you propose? – Make a statement, call it what it is. | -你们有什么建议? -发个声明直说无妨 |
[24:40] | People who don’t like you using your daughter as a partisan pi?ata. | 不喜欢你的人 拿你女儿当打击目标 |
[24:43] | – I don’t want to engage with them. – We have to fight. | -我不会想跟他们交手 -我们必须还击 |
[24:46] | – I’m not saying we shouldn’t. – Public health’s at stake. | -我不是说我们不应该还击 -大众的健康因而受到危害 |
[24:49] | We’re gonna sit back and let moralistic dogma replace scientific method? | 我们要呆坐着 让教条主义取代科学研究? |
[24:52] | Penicillin, human genetics, Rogaine… | 抗生素、人类基因、落建 |
[24:54] | …these were discovered with no practical objective. | 这些东西的发现 原先都没有实质的目标 |
[24:57] | – It’s not about that. – It is. | -关键不在此 -是这样没错 |
[24:59] | – That’s what’s on the table. – Get Layton over. | -台面上的就是这样 -叫蕾顿过来 |
[25:01] | I’m not cooperating with any investigation. | 我不配合任何调查行动 |
[25:03] | Pull the passes of every White House reporter who filed on this. | 所有传送这种新闻的白宫记者 统统没收他们的通行证 |
[25:07] | Sir, I can only imagine how angry you must be… | 先生我可以了解你有多么生气 |
[25:10] | Damn it! | 妈的! |
[25:12] | Ellie’s never sought or accepted public office. | 艾莉从没想要接受公职 |
[25:15] | She’s not running that lab, she’s a research fellow! | 那研究室也不是归她管的 她只是一个研究员! |
[25:18] | They can take all the shots they want at me. | 他们可以重炮出击没关系 他们想打的人是我 |
[25:20] | These people have to understand: Attack my family, there’s consequences. | 这些人必须了解: 攻击我的家人就要自食其果 |
[25:24] | Sir, if we punish the congresswoman or the press, we make it more of a story. | 如果我们处罚国会的女议员 或是媒体就会衍生更多枝节 |
[25:28] | – I think we can discredit Layton. – How’s that? | -我想我们可以让蕾顿失去可信度 -怎么做? |
[25:31] | She got her hit list from a political action group… | 她的黑名单 取自政治激进团体 |
[25:34] | …whose other website is TheLordHatesHomos. org. | 他们的另一个网址网名就是 “上帝痛恨同性恋” |
[25:38] | Ellie’s never asked for anything. I begged her to come to my first inaugural ball. | 艾莉从没要过什么 我第一次就职典礼我还得求她参加 |
[25:42] | She had some exam, I asked the professor to reschedule it. | 当时她要考试我就请教授改期 |
[25:45] | I think she’s still mad at me. | 这件事我想她到现在还在气我 |
[25:47] | I have been very clear: We won’t use them, you can’t either. | 我们一向很清楚: 我们不利用她们你们也不行 |
[25:50] | We never even put them on a White House Christmas card! | 我们从来没有把她们 摆在白宫的圣诞卡里面! |
[25:53] | Dad. | 爸 |
[25:56] | I’m sorry about all of this. | 我对这一切感到很抱歉 |
[26:05] | What? | 干嘛? |
[26:07] | – I didn’t support you? – No, I’m just tired. | -气我没支持你? -不我只是累了 |
[26:09] | Thought I had somewhere to go other than my office. | 本来以为今天有别的地方可去 不会待在办公室 |
[26:11] | – I wore perfume… – What happened with Ben? | -我还喷了香水 -班怎么了? |
[26:16] | I wrecked it. | 我搞砸了 |
[26:18] | – Is that a record? – Personal best. | -快到破记录了吗? -是个人最快的 |
[26:21] | – Do you like him? – Yeah. | -你喜欢他? -对 |
[26:23] | Really? | 真的? |
[26:25] | Yeah. | 对 |
[26:27] | – Go fix it. – But… | -去弥补吧 -可是 |
[26:28] | It’s all I got. | 我只有这建议了 |
[26:36] | Call Layton’s office. Tell them I’m coming over right now. | 打电话到蕾顿的办公室 跟他们说我现在就过去 |
[26:40] | – You need something? – How did Layton get the list? | -你需要什么东西吗? -蕾顿怎么拿到那黑名单的? |
[26:42] | Russell gonna weigh in on scientific McCarthyism? | 萝丝尔要介入 科学界的麦卡锡主义? |
[26:45] | – No, I need to… – Now’s not good. | -不我得 -这可不好 |
[26:46] | Thanks, Julie, you rock. | 谢谢茱莉你真屌 |
[26:48] | You’re all set to see Layton. They’re expecting you any time. | 都弄好了你随时可见蕾顿 他们在等你 |
[26:52] | Please don’t say “You rock. “ | 求求你别说“你真屌” |
[26:57] | Didn’t have much luck with the Judiciary Committee. | 司法委员会那里没什么收获 |
[26:59] | – Didn’t expect you would. – The president is considering… | -不认为你能有什么收获 -总统在考虑 |
[27:02] | …a number of recess appointments. – A number? | -几个休会期任命案 -几个? |
[27:05] | You and the other nominees to the 6th Circuit. | 你和其他七个第六法庭的提名人 |
[27:07] | It’ll be bumpy, but once the public sees your credentials, we’re confident that… | 会有点冲击不过等大众看到 你的资历后我们相信 |
[27:11] | Yeah, you think it’ll give the president a nice lift in the polls? | 你们以为会让总统的民调提升? |
[27:15] | No. I mean… | 不我是说 |
[27:18] | I’m sure it can’t hurt, but that’s… | 我相信也没伤害不过我是 |
[27:21] | – Well, I can’t be your martyr, Josh. – I’m not asking… | -哦我无法当你的烈士乔西 -我不是要求 |
[27:25] | They didn’t confirm me now. They sure won’t in nine months. | 他们现在没有接受我 九个月后当然也不会 |
[27:28] | You think Georgetown’s gonna wait around? | 你以为乔治城会一直等着我? |
[27:30] | Come on, I got two kids and my wife, a mortgage. | 算了我有两个小孩、一个老婆 还有贷款 |
[27:33] | – I’m just… I’m just trying… – You’re trying to win. | -我只是我只是想 -你想赢 |
[27:38] | You know, my first semester at Harvard… | 你知道吗我在哈佛的第一学期 |
[27:40] | …one of my students helped 30 retired steelworkers file a suit… | 我的一个学生帮三十个 退休的钢铁工人提出诉讼 |
[27:44] | …an action under ERISA. | 是员工退休金保障法的案子 |
[27:46] | And they were old men, just struggling to get by… | 他们都是老人 都是拮据的渡日子 |
[27:49] | …because the mill refused to award them their federally guaranteed pension. | 因为工厂不把他们的 联邦退休保障金发给他们 |
[27:53] | So six years later, 10 of the plaintiffs have passed on. | 所以六年后 十名原告陆续过世 |
[27:56] | The court still hasn’t gotten to their case. | 法院还是没开始审理他们的案子 |
[27:58] | You throw dirt at them, they throw dirt at you. | 你恶搞他们 他们就恶搞你 |
[28:01] | It’s never gonna stop. | 冤冤相报何时了 |
[28:02] | So you’re just gonna hide at Georgetown and complain? | 所以你要躲到乔治城去发牢骚? |
[28:05] | Let’s do something! We’re firing a shot here. | 应该有所作为才是! 我们要在这里开始出击 |
[28:08] | Maybe we won’t win the war, but, come on, Hayden… | 也许我们赢不了这场战争 不过得了海登 |
[28:11] | …you are one of the brightest guys I have ever known. | 你是我所认识最聪明的家伙之一 |
[28:16] | You got nine months. | 你会有九个月的时间 |
[28:18] | Let’s show them what you can do. | 让我们给他们点颜色瞧瞧 |
[28:26] | – Hey. – Hey. | -嘿 -嘿 |
[28:28] | Did you know that patents and copyrights were invented… | 你知道专利和著作权的发明 |
[28:31] | …to encourage private patronage of science and technology? | 原先是为了鼓励科学和科技的 私人赞助行为吗? |
[28:35] | Didn’t work, of course. | 当然没有成功 |
[28:37] | Maybe they should have thrown in a free football phone. | 也许他们应该把钱投入 免费的橄榄球电话还比较好 |
[28:40] | I’m really sorry about today. | 今天的事我真的感到很抱歉 |
[28:41] | Yeah, well, if I’d known I was gonna be on TV, I would have blow-dried. | 对嗯早知道我会上电视 我起码会弄漂亮一点 |
[28:46] | There’s always been tension between science and policy. | 科学与政策间 总是存在无形的张力 |
[28:49] | We used to do terrible things to you people. | 我们对你们科学家常做出可怕的事 |
[28:51] | We were never ready to hear what you had to say. | 我们老是不想倾听你们说话 |
[28:54] | I know of one guy they were ready to carve up… | 我知道他们原想把一个家伙 活生生地拆了 |
[28:56] | …because he had this silly idea that the Earth revolved around the Sun. | 因为他有个 地球绕着太阳运行的蠢主意 |
[29:00] | If this is about scientists having it better today because there’s no Inquisition… | 如果你想说因为没有审判庭 现今的科学家已经比较幸运 |
[29:05] | I enjoy talking about Galileo, and don’t you start with me. | 我喜欢谈到伽利略 你别开始唱反调 |
[29:08] | It’s apocryphal, Dad. A story for tourists. | 那故事是假的爸 是骗游客的 |
[29:11] | If Galileo had muttered “It still moves” after they made him recant his work… | 如果伽利略被迫撤回他的主张后 还敢低语“地球还在转” |
[29:15] | …they would’ve killed him on the spot. And I don’t know why I let you do this. | 他们早把他就地正法 我不晓得我干嘛跟你说这个 |
[29:24] | I promised Dr. Foy I’d have this stuff to him by tonight. | 我答应过佛伊博士 这东西我在天黑前就要交给他 |
[29:28] | He’ll understand. | 他会了解的 |
[29:29] | I hate that he has to. I don’t wanna ask him. | 我痛恨让他为难 我不想麻烦他 |
[29:31] | I just wanna go sit in my office and look at my data. | 我只想坐在我的办公室 检查我的数据 |
[29:38] | What? | 什么? |
[29:40] | – I wish you could do that too. – But I can’t. | -我也希望如此 -可是我不能 |
[29:42] | If you believe in what you’re doing, you have to speak up. | 如果你对自己的作为有信心 你就该出面谈谈 |
[29:45] | – Our work speaks for itself. – It’s not enough. | -我们的工作本身就会说话 -这是不够的 |
[29:47] | Sorry you had the misfortune to be born into this, but our business is politics. | 抱歉你不幸生在这样的家庭 不过我们的主要事业就是政治 |
[29:52] | – Your business. – This whole thing started… | -那是你的事业 -整个事件起源于 |
[29:54] | …because I earmarked $2 billion of the federal science budget… | 我提拨二十亿的联邦科学预算 |
[29:57] | …for HIV-AIDS research. – What does that…? | -作为爱滋病毒的研究之用 -这有什么关系? |
[30:00] | Just because you like what I earmarked… | 虽然你喜欢我提拨的经费 |
[30:02] | …doesn’t mean I didn’t politicize science, just like Layton’s trying to do. | 不过我也一样有把科学政治化 就像现在蕾顿的作法 |
[30:07] | This is the real world. | 这就是现实的世界 |
[30:08] | My enemies will never stop going after you. | 我的敌人永远都不会放过你 |
[30:11] | But if Dr. Foy is investigated, you need to be right by his side. | 不过如果佛伊博士受到调查 你就必须立刻站在他身边 |
[30:14] | – C.J. can help you with a statement. – No. | -茜洁可以帮你拟声明稿 -不要 |
[30:18] | When Galileo said “Eppur si muove”… | 伽利略说过“地球还在转” |
[30:20] | …it meant he would continue to study and publish… | 代表无论如何 他都不会放弃研究与出版 |
[30:23] | I get nosebleeds… | 我会流鼻血 |
[30:24] | He had to write in secret under house arrest. | 他得在被包围的情况下秘密的写 |
[30:27] | I couldn’t stand up to a damn book report. | 我连上台做读书报告都受不了 |
[30:29] | It’s easy for Zoey and Liz. You and Mom love the attention. | 对柔伊和丽兹而言很容易 你和妈妈喜欢受到大众的关注 |
[30:33] | Science can’t wall itself off from controversy… | 科学不能固步自封 不管外界的争论 |
[30:36] | …it has to live by it! | 必须能能独立求生存才行! |
[30:38] | It’s not me, Dad. | 我不行爸 |
[30:41] | It’s not. | 我不行 |
[30:55] | I mean, it’s a red-banner day, and I’m just happy I’m here to celebrate. | -今天是值得庆祝的一天 -我很开心我能来这里庆祝 |
[30:59] | I knew that. | 我知道 |
[31:01] | – Toby. Hi. – Congresswoman. | -托比嗨 -议员 |
[31:05] | – Thanks for seeing me. – I’m sorry about this mess. | -感谢你见我 -这一团糟我很抱歉 |
[31:07] | One of my assistants just had her thesis published. | 我的一个助理 刚发表了她的毕业论文 |
[31:13] | Please. | 请坐 |
[31:18] | Nobody wants to blow up the NIH here. | 我们没有人想毁了 国家卫生研究院 |
[31:22] | I promise I won’t even mention the supercollider. | 我保证我根本不会提到 那架“超级冲撞机” |
[31:24] | Oh, you guys pretty much took care of that one already. | 哦你们的人已经处理得很好了 |
[31:27] | I hope you will convey my deepest sympathy… | 我希望你能转达我最深的同情 |
[31:30] | …that the president’s daughter has been dragged into this. | 总统的女儿被扯入这件事 |
[31:33] | I’ll do that. He’ll be delighted to hear… | 我会转达的 他会很高兴能听到 |
[31:35] | …that we won’t be seeing Ellie in your fundraising materials. | 我们不会看到艾莉的名字 出现在你们的赞助资料里 |
[31:38] | Wasn’t my decision for her to work in a lab… | 她到哪个研究室 用山姆大叔的钱 |
[31:41] | …doing questionable research on Uncle Sam’s dime. | 从事让人质疑的研究 不是我能决定的 |
[31:43] | And you decide what’s questionable? | 但你可以决定什么叫让人质疑? |
[31:45] | It’s my job. | 这是我的工作 |
[31:47] | I’m on the authorizing committee for that money. | 我是授权审查那些经费的 委员会成员 |
[31:50] | – Nothing wrong with healthy scrutiny. – Healthy scrutiny. Not subjective attack. | -正当的审查并没有错 -正当的审查而非主观攻击 |
[31:55] | Your list isn’t about priorities. | 你的黑名单跟优先赞助顺序无关 |
[31:57] | It’s about imposing ideology and religious doctrine… | 你只是将意识形态 与宗教教条强加在 |
[32:00] | …on the awarding of individual scientific grants. | 接受赞助的科学研究领域 |
[32:03] | It’s the taxpayers’ money. | 那是纳税人的钱 |
[32:04] | Your disapproval of high-risk behavior… | 对于你所不认同的高危险行为 |
[32:06] | …is justification for stifling the research to reduce it? | 就是用扼杀研究 来减少这类的行为? |
[32:10] | I don’t have a problem with homosexuals or injection-drug users… | 我对于同性恋或注射毒品的人 没有歧见 |
[32:14] | …but there is only one pie. | 可是大饼只有一个 |
[32:16] | And we’re talking about spending $2 billion of it… | 我们说的是二十亿经费 |
[32:19] | …on the small percentage of the population with HIV… | 运用一点小小的比率 在爱滋病毒的研究上 |
[32:22] | …which means cutting funding for Alzheimer’s, muscular dystrophy… | 这就代表得牺牲研究阿滋海默氏症 肌肉萎缩等的经费 |
[32:25] | …and diabetes and multiple sclerosis. – Oh, good, the MS card. | -还有糖尿病与多发性硬化症 -哦很好硬化症王牌 |
[32:29] | This doesn’t have to be one or the other. | 这不是不能并存的事情 |
[32:32] | One in eight women will get breast cancer. | 八个女性中有一个会得到乳癌 |
[32:35] | And at least 15 percent of those aren’t gonna live… | 在诊断确定后 最少有百分之十五的患者 |
[32:38] | …five years after the diagnosis. | 五年内就会死亡 |
[32:40] | Every dollar you spend on studies of Puerto Rican sex workers… | 你们为波多黎各性工作者的研究 所花的每一块钱 |
[32:43] | …is one you take away from cancer centers and clinical tests. | 都是从癌症中心 和临床测试的经费中拨走的 |
[32:46] | You don’t know that. You don’t know where undirected research will lead. | 这是很难说的你不知道 独立的研究可获得什么结果 |
[32:50] | You’re not a scientist… | 你不是科学家 |
[32:51] | …and neither are the members of the Traditional Values Alliance. | 也不是传统价值联盟的成员 |
[32:55] | What are you doing in bed with these people? | 你干嘛跟这些人同床共舞? |
[32:58] | – I’m not. – I spoke with Mack McCall. | -我没有 -我跟麦克麦寇谈过 |
[33:00] | Oh, McCall will take credit for anything that gets his name in the paper. | 哦麦寇就是会不计一切代价 抢上头版 |
[33:04] | You got your list from the Traditional Values Alliance. | 你的黑名单 是从传统价值联盟那里拿来的 |
[33:08] | I didn’t. | 我没有 |
[33:11] | Your lists are identical. | 你们的黑名单完全一样 |
[33:14] | There’s a lot of people who care about this issue. | 有很多人关心这样的议题 |
[33:18] | A lot of prominent people, on both sides of the aisle. | 在双方阵营 有很多重要的角色都很关切 |
[33:23] | You’d be surprised, Toby. | 你会大感诧异的托比 |
[33:29] | It was nice seeing you again. | 很高兴再次见到你 |
[33:55] | I got Muppets in two, but I… | 待会大青蛙要来了不过 |
[33:56] | Layton claims she didn’t get her list from the Traditional Values Alliance. | 蕾顿说她的清单 不是从传统价值联盟那里拿的 |
[34:00] | She didn’t. Rena? | 不是吗蕊娜? |
[34:02] | When I first checked Dr. Foy’s funding, it said he had $ 14 more this year. | 我一开始查佛伊的经费时 上面说他今年多出十四块钱 |
[34:06] | Right. The trash can. | 对买垃圾桶的钱 |
[34:08] | When Layton’s list came out, the extra $ 14 wasn’t there. | 蕾顿的清单出来的时候 那十四块钱没列在上面 |
[34:11] | There were other discrepancies between the lists… | 两份清单之间还有一些差异 |
[34:14] | …but they were so small, I figured human error. | 不过都是小地方 我猜是人为的错误 |
[34:16] | So Layton’s list is up to date and the TVA’s list isn’t? | 所以蕾顿的清单是最新版的 而传统价值联盟是旧版的? |
[34:19] | Makes sense. It’s a public website, probably not updated regularly. | 有理那是公开的网站 也许并没有定期更新 |
[34:23] | But the 14 bucks kept bugging me… | 可是我忘不了那十四块钱 |
[34:25] | …so I checked Layton’s list against our internal, NIH-generated… | 所以我拿蕾顿的清单 比对我们内部国家卫生研究院的 |
[34:28] | – Very unpublic list and… – And they’re the same. | -这是不公开的但却 -但却完全一样 |
[34:31] | Yeah. See? No trash can. | 对看到了吗?没垃圾桶 |
[34:33] | Our list was out two weeks ago. She couldn’t get that info unless… | 我们的清单是两星期前出来的 她不可能拿这份资料除非 |
[34:37] | Unless whoever put this list together works inside the administration. | 除非弄出这单子的人 就在我们执政团队内部 |
[34:42] | At first I thought it was Stephen James from HHS… | 一开始我怀疑是卫生部门的 史帝芬詹姆斯 |
[34:44] | …because I know he hates the president. | 因为我知道他讨厌总统 |
[34:46] | And then I thought it was the passive-aggressive recycling guy and… | 后来我又以为 是那个消极抵抗的回收人员但 |
[34:52] | You know who it is. | 你知道是谁了 |
[34:54] | Yeah. | 对 |
[34:57] | I have new pages. | 我有新的版本 |
[35:01] | This is not what we agreed on. | 这不是我们同意的 |
[35:03] | I think the first lady had some strong ideas about her character. | 第一夫人对她的角色 有很坚持的点子 |
[35:12] | I’ll catch up. | 我随后就来 |
[35:19] | If I were the vice president’s chief of staff… | 如果我是副总统的幕僚长 |
[35:21] | …gearing up for the next campaign… | 想为接下来的竞选运作的话 |
[35:23] | …I might be doing some thinking about our own weaknesses. | 我可能会思考一些 我们自己的弱点 |
[35:27] | Trying to imagine how our opposition might be viewing us… | 想想对手是怎么看我们的 |
[35:32] | …with regards to, say, health-care spending priorities. | 比如说 卫生保健方面的优先赞助顺序 |
[35:35] | It was for my eyes only. No one here knew about it except me. | 那是只有我能看的东西 在这里只有我知道 |
[35:38] | Yeah, well, the experiment got out of the lab, huh? | 对研究室的实验被泄漏了吗? |
[35:41] | – You didn’t do opposition research? – That’s what vaults are for. | -你就没做过反向研究? -要就秘密进行 |
[35:44] | I have no idea how it got to the congresswoman. | 我不知道怎么流到议员手上的 |
[35:46] | I came to talk to you about it, but you threw me out. | 我昨天就是想找你谈 可是你把我赶走了 |
[35:49] | Maybe if you started the conversation by saying: | 也许如果你一开始就直接说: |
[35:52] | “I just outed the president’s daughter on national TV.” | “我刚刚把总统的女儿 弄上全国电视网了” |
[35:55] | – That would’ve gotten my attention. – So you must be happy. | -那就会引起我的注意 -所以你一定很开心 |
[35:59] | Maybe if I had stuck around, I wouldn’t be committing career suicide. | 也许我如果多待一会儿 就不会不慎抹杀了我的生涯 |
[36:03] | I don’t give a damn if you left opposition research in a fax. | 我才不在乎你是否把 反向研究放到传真机里 |
[36:06] | Did you or did you not willfully target the president’s daughter? | 你有没有故意 把总统的女儿做为攻击目标? |
[36:11] | Of course not. | 当然没有 |
[36:14] | I’ll take you at your word. This was a mistake. | 我相信你的话 这只是一个错误 |
[36:17] | Whatever the hell else you wanna do about it is your own business. | 其他的你打算怎么做 是你自己的事 |
[36:22] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[37:00] | – I never do this. I’m a little nervous. – Don’t be silly. You have beautiful hair. | -我没做过这种事我有点紧张 -别傻了你的头发真美丽 |
[37:05] | Oh, my God, that’s so sweet. I actually need to get it cut, but thanks. | 哦天真会说话 其实我的头发得剪了还是谢了 |
[37:11] | Is everything okay? | 还好吧? |
[37:13] | It’s just, I thought, well, Kermit was gonna be here… | 只是我只是想柯米青蛙会来 |
[37:16] | …but, you know, it’s no big deal. | 就是没什么大不了的 |
[37:20] | I didn’t know you studied HPV. | 我不知道你有研究人类乳突 |
[37:22] | – Yeah. – My sister died of cervical cancer. | -对 -我的妹妹死于子宫颈癌 |
[37:25] | – I’m so sorry. – She was 37. | -我很遗憾 -她才37岁 |
[37:28] | It was really fast. We didn’t know. Nobody knew it was connected to HPV. | 真的很快我们原先都不知道 没有人知道会跟人类乳突病毒有关 |
[37:31] | – Yeah. – I read there’s a vaccine coming. | -对 -我听说快找到一种疫苗了 |
[37:35] | That’s what we’ve been working on. | 我们就是在研究这个 |
[37:38] | Work harder. | 再加油 |
[37:43] | Boy. Going to the doctor is not so bad after all. | 哇看医生其实没那么糟啊 |
[37:47] | That tickles. | 哦痒痒 |
[37:52] | Okay. And one, two, three. | 好一、二、三 |
[37:55] | Boy, that was fun. Do the other one. | 哇真好玩换另一边 |
[37:58] | Elmo, it’s time for your immunization. I’m gonna have to give you an injection. | 艾默轮到你打预防针了 我要给你打针 |
[38:02] | But, Mrs. Dr. Abbey First Lady Doctor, will it hurt Elmo? | 可是艾碧医生第一夫人医生 艾默会痛痛吗? |
[38:06] | Well, it might hurt just a little tiny bit. But it’s very important. | 哦会有一点点痛的 不过打预防针很重要 |
[38:10] | Wait a minute. Didn’t you give up your medical license? | 等一下你不是放弃 你的医学执照了吗? |
[38:14] | Elmo, you did not… You didn’t say that! | 艾默你不能 你不可以那样说! |
[38:16] | Do you have a diploma you could show Elmo? | 你有文凭 可以拿给艾默看吗? |
[38:21] | Can Elmo be frank? This laughing is not filling Elmo with confidence. | 艾默可以坦白吗? 这种笑声让艾默感到没有信心 |
[38:26] | – Oh, Elmo, you… You… – Stop it! | -哦艾默你 -够了! |
[38:31] | Yeah. | 对 |
[38:36] | Let me know if there’s anything I can do. | 任何我能帮忙的请告诉我 |
[38:42] | Hayden’s onboard. | 海登加入了 |
[38:43] | – Hayden? – I got him. | -海登? -我说动他了 |
[38:45] | – He called Georgetown… – We have to put that on hold. | -他有打电话给乔治城 -我们先暂停一下 |
[38:47] | We lost a Supreme Court justice. | 我们失去了一位最高法院的法官 |
[38:49] | – Lost? – Dead. | -失去? -死了 |
[38:52] | Justice Ashland’s dead? | 亚叙兰法官死了? |
[38:54] | Justice Brady. Owen Brady. Heart attack. | 是布莱迪法官欧文布莱迪 心脏病 |
[38:58] | What was he, 45? | 他才几岁45岁? |
[39:01] | Fifty-two. | 52岁 |
[39:04] | Justice Brady. | 布莱迪法官 |
[39:06] | The Republicans will go nuts. I just saw him. | 共和党的人会疯掉 我才见过他而已 |
[39:09] | Leo. You’ve got the head of the Senate Judiciary Committee on line three. | 里奥参议院的司法委员会主任 在三线等你 |
[39:13] | I’ll take it. | 我来接 |
[39:15] | – That’s it. Was that so bad? – Well, it hurt, but just a little. | -就是这样有那么痛吗? -嗯会痛不过只有一点点 |
[39:19] | – You did it! – Oh, Elmo did it. | -你成功了! -哦艾默成功了 |
[39:23] | – You were so brave! – Oh, Elmo, you are my hero! | -你好勇敢! -哦艾默你是我的偶像! |
[39:27] | Oh, thanks. Oh, and thank you for making Elmo… | 哦谢谢 哦谢谢你让艾默 |
[39:31] | You did well. | 你很棒 |
[39:32] | If there’s any kind of firestorm, I promise I’ll handle it. | 如果有什么火气风暴 我保证我会处理的 |
[39:35] | I know. | 我知道 |
[39:37] | Your handsome man is back. | 你的大帅哥回来了 |
[39:38] | – first lady doctor. – Thank you. That’s the nicest thing… | -第一夫人医生 -谢谢你这真是最美好的事 |
[39:42] | Thank you for coming back. | 谢谢你又回来了 |
[39:44] | Thank you for calling. | 谢谢你打电话来 |
[39:45] | C.J., can you help me with something? | 茜洁你能帮我一点忙吗? |
[39:54] | Yeah. Wait, wait, we can do it together. Elmo… | 好等等等等 我们可以一起努力的艾默 |
[40:03] | – He in there? – Go on in. | -他在里面? -请进 |
[40:08] | – What can I do for you, Will? – We have to talk about the NIH list. | -有什么需要我效劳吗威尔? -我们得谈谈国家卫生研究院的清单 |
[40:12] | I told them I’m the only one who’s seen it. | 我跟他们说只有我有看到 |
[40:15] | I thought the research would be useful, a good idea. | 我是以为那个研究有用 我以为是个好主意 |
[40:17] | It was a good idea. | 是个好主意 |
[40:19] | I heard you played bad cop/bad cop with the entire staff… | 我听到你跟整团员工 在玩唱黑脸的游戏 |
[40:22] | …trying to find out who leaked it to Layton. | 想找出是谁把东西泄漏给蕾顿的 |
[40:25] | Doesn’t one of your wife’s charities do something with breast cancer? | 你太太的某一个慈善团体 是不是有在做乳癌的东西? |
[40:29] | The National Foundation. | 国家基金会 |
[40:30] | Congresswoman Layton’s on the board of that foundation, isn’t she? | 蕾顿议员正是那个基金会的董事 对不对? |
[40:34] | – What’s your point? – There may be speculation… | -你的看法是? -也许是一种猜测 |
[40:36] | My wife feels strongly about this work. | 我太太对这工作很重视 |
[40:38] | Is it possible she shared her information with Barbara Layton? | 她是否有可能跟芭芭拉蕾顿 分享她的资讯? |
[40:41] | Barb? Yeah. That’s possible. | 芭芭拉?对有可能 |
[40:46] | You’re gonna need to tell the president, sir. | 你得去跟总统说先生 |
[40:49] | – Am I? – It’s going to come out, sir. | -我要吗? -会被扯出来的先生 |
[40:51] | – The list is all over town. – Well, maybe that’s not so bad. | -那张清单已经到处飞了 -嗯也许这样也不坏 |
[40:54] | It wasn’t my plan, but it might be a happy accident. | 这不是我原先的计划 不过是个快乐的意外 |
[40:57] | Just the thing we need to put a little distance between us and them. | 这种事正好可以让我们跟他们 保持一点点的距离 |
[41:00] | I wouldn’t worry about it. | 我倒不担心这种事 |
[41:04] | I really wouldn’t. | 我真的不担心 |
[41:10] | That’ll be all. | 就这样 |
[41:12] | Yes, sir. | 是先生 |
[41:13] | Thank you, Mr. Vice President. | 谢谢你副总统先生 |
[41:20] | While money spent studying the brains of PCP users… | 把经费运用在 研究天使粉毒虫的大脑 |
[41:24] | …might appear to be taxpayer waste… | 也许显得浪费纳税人的钱 |
[41:26] | …this research led directly to the discovery of the NMDA receptor. | 但这项研究却直接导向 脑神经传导物质受体的发现 |
[41:31] | Science cannot exist in a vacuum. | 科学不能关在象牙塔里 |
[41:33] | By nature, it’s an open enterprise strengthened by public scrutiny. | 基本上科学就是一个透过公共监督 加以强化的开放性事业 |
[41:39] | Openness is the basis of a free society. | 公正公开是自由社会的基础 |
[41:41] | But when science is attacked on ideological grounds… | 不过科学若遭受意识形态的攻击 |
[41:46] | …its integrity and usefulness are threatened. | 其真实性与实用性就受到威胁 |
[41:50] | Independent, peer-review research is the cornerstone of science in America. | 独立的、专业同僚审查的研究 是美国科学的基石 |
[41:54] | It shouldn’t be about the left or the right… | 不应与左翼或右翼相关 |
[41:56] | … but what works to keep people safe and healthy. | 而是为了维护人类安全与健康的努力 |
[41:59] | I believe all Americans, and all people everywhere… | 我相信所有的美国人 以及全球所有的人 |
[42:03] | … no matter who they are or how they live… | 无论是什么人种 无论如何生活 |
[42:05] | … deserve research to improve their lives. | 都值得透过科学研究 来改善他们的生活 |
[42:08] | Thomas Jefferson said: | 汤犸斯杰佛逊说过: |
[42:10] | “We must not be afraid to follow the truth, wherever it may lead. “ | “无论真相的结果为何 我们必须无惧于追求真相” |
[42:14] | Scientific truth ennobles us. | 科学的真相提升了我们 |
[42:16] | It tells us who we are, where we’ve been and where we’re going. | 道出我们的本质、我们的过去 与我们的未来 |
[42:21] | I believe the truth will only be found when all scientists are free to pursue it. | 我相信只有所有的科学家 都能自由的追寻才能获得真相 |
[42:26] | Thank you. | 谢谢大家 |