时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:07] | – How good is Haffley? – Better than anyone we’ve seen… | 海夫立有多行呢? 他是我们… |
[00:10] | …on the other side in a long time. | 很久以来遇到最厉害的对手 |
[00:12] | We don’t go out there until we agree on a game plan. | 除非我们都同意战略 否则不可以出去 |
[00:15] | How about the voters? How will we create jobs? | 要怎么吸引选民? 我们要怎么提高就业率? |
[00:17] | And we can do better and we must do better and we will do better. | 我们能做得更好 我们一定会做得更好 |
[00:21] | How will we fix health care? | 我们该如何修改健保制度? |
[00:22] | To ensure that the promise of this country is the birthright of all the people. | 这个国家的承诺 是全国人民与生俱来的权利 |
[00:27] | How will we make the lights go on? How will we protect ourselves? | 我们该如何照亮前方? 该如何保护自己? |
[00:30] | When we were elected, I really thought we were gonna own the place. | 当我们当选之后 我真的以为我们会是主导 |
[00:42] | – Hey. Congratulations. – Thank you. | 嘿恭喜 谢谢 |
[00:44] | So Leo’s turned you into a bigtime trade negotiator. | 里奥让你变成一个了不起的贸易代表啦 |
[00:47] | No different than babysitting or negotiating with Congress. | 跟带小孩或是国会质询没两样 |
[00:50] | – You sit, let them wear themselves out. – They’re up to 200 tractors now. | 只要坐在那就好了 已经聚集200台拖拉机 |
[00:54] | – I know. – Two hundred tractors don’t worry you? | 我知道 你不会担心吗? |
[00:56] | – Not being a bale of hay. – You’re flying to Brussels… | 别开玩笑了 你要飞到布鲁塞尔去… |
[00:59] | …the place is surrounded by tractors. | 那里塞满了拖拉机 |
[01:01] | Everyone in Europe will protest your trade agreement. | 贸易协定一定会引发欧洲人抗议 |
[01:04] | I’ll bring you back a straw hat. | 我会带顶稻草帽回来给你 |
[01:06] | – For the press conference after signing. – That’s not the message. | 这是协定签署后的记者会主题 传达的讯息不对 |
[01:10] | “Protecting intellectual property through international enforcement.” | 〝透过国际力量维护智慧财产权〞 |
[01:12] | I know what you’re talking about, and I have no idea what you’re talking about. | 我知道你说什么 不过我不了解你在讲什么 |
[01:16] | Free trade creates better, higher-paying jobs. | 自由贸易可以创造出更多高薪的工作 |
[01:19] | We still have to pass this. | 我们得通过这个案子 |
[01:21] | Let’s not outsmart ourselves, as if that were possible. | 所以我们还是别太自以为是 |
[01:24] | – They’re up to 200 tractors. It’s on TV. – I know. | 聚集了两百台拖拉机电视正在播 我知道 |
[01:26] | Bill Parsons called. What are European farmers so upset about? | 比尔帕森打电话来 欧洲农夫到底在不满什么? |
[01:30] | They can’t cling to a dying way of life, that free trade means… | 因为他们得为自己的生计着想 如果实施自由贸易… |
[01:33] | …some of them may wear neckties, that they can’t beat Pentium chips… | 这些农夫可能得开始穿西装打领带 也没办法把电脑晶片… |
[01:37] | …back into plowshares. Take your pick. – USTR says India’s signing on. | 拿来当犁头 美国贸易代表处说印度签了 |
[01:41] | – You’re kidding. – I barely know what that means. | 不会吧 我连那是什么意思都不知道 |
[01:44] | India has problems with this trade deal. Why would they…? | 印度对这个贸易协定有意见 他们怎么会…? |
[01:47] | USTR says India’s in. | 美国贸易代表处说印度签了 |
[01:50] | Ask Ed and Larry to poke around the India thing. | 叫艾德跟赖瑞去查一下印度的事情 |
[01:53] | I brought my luggage too, you know. | 我把行李都带来了 |
[01:55] | Yeah, I’m still working on that. | 我还在整理 |
[01:57] | Wonderful, Mr. Prime Minster. I look forward to seeing you in Brussels. | 很好首相先生 布鲁塞尔见了 |
[02:01] | Great job wrapping this up. I’ve sent something to your office. | 你表现得很好 我送了些东西到你办公室去 |
[02:04] | You should have seen him, like a bull terrier crossed… | 你该看看他的表现 就像牛头犬跟… |
[02:07] | …with a rottweiler and a Fuller Brush salesman. | 罗威特犬的混种 也很像易康富的销售人员 |
[02:09] | Months of work by a lot of people. I just tossed in free combs. | 这不是我一个人的功劳 而是大家努力了好几个月的成果 |
[02:12] | – Work on Congressional passage. – I’m meeting with the speaker. | 开始准备让国会通过吧 我会跟议长碰面 |
[02:15] | He could argue we gave too much to labor. | 他可以说我们给劳工太多了 |
[02:18] | We’ll need Republican votes, but there’s plenty here Democrats will like. | 我们需要共和党的票 不过也有很多吸引民主党的部分 |
[02:21] | – Sell it right, we’ll squeak through. – Reporters are waiting. | 如果做得好我们应该能险胜 记者们都在等 |
[02:24] | You’re doing five interviews on the Brussels Round… | 布鲁塞尔有五个访问行程… |
[02:27] | …three domestic print, CNN-FN, the International Herald Tribune. | 三个是平面媒体另外两个是 有线电视财经台跟《国际论坛报》 |
[02:30] | – Foreign press doesn’t count. – We haven’t globalized pandering? | 外国媒体不算在内 我们不对国外宣传吗? |
[02:33] | Our audience is not the Finnish Parliament. | 我们的观众是美国国会 不是芬兰国会 |
[02:36] | Opponents of free trade say it exports jobs. | 反对自由贸易者说自由贸易 让工作机会外流 |
[02:38] | – That giant sucking sound. – A half-decent economist will say… | 滚滚的声浪震耳欲聋 一个半调子的经济学家会说… |
[02:42] | …wear earplugs, then file immediately for unemployment. | 戴上耳塞 然后快去申请失业补助 |
[02:45] | – Have you read the talking points? – I’m an economist, some say half-decent. | 你看过演讲的大网没? 我是个经济学家俗称半调子 |
[02:49] | – I don’t need a primer. – Due respect… | 我没说错 我没有冒犯的意思可是… |
[02:51] | …your economic answers can be a bit… – Polysyllabic? | 你的回答有点… 太多音节? |
[02:54] | – Academic. – I’d go with “incomprehensible.” | 太学术性 应该说太难懂 |
[02:56] | Hey, listen. Any economic advancement involves what Schumpeter called… | 听着任何的经济发展都跟 经济学家熊彼得说的… |
[03:00] | …”creative destruction.” – Bad answer. | 〝创造性的破坏〞观念有关 很糟的答案 |
[03:02] | – “Destruction” will mollify our critics. – Free trade creates jobs. | 破坏两字会引来批评声浪 自由贸易带来更多工作机会 |
[03:05] | – Selling our products to the world… – Creates higher-paying jobs. | 把国内的产品推销到全世界… 创造高薪的工作 |
[03:09] | It’s gotta be that simple. | 就是这么简单 |
[03:10] | Anybody have any crayons so I can color in my Ph.D.? | 有人有蜡笔吗? 我要把我的博士证书画亮一点 |
[03:13] | Josh makes a point. We’re losing old-economy jobs… | 乔西说的有道理 国内的传统产业工作机会一直减少… |
[03:16] | …in steel, in textiles, all across manufacturing. | 钢铁业、纺织业 制造业的工作机会越来越少 |
[03:18] | In economics, clearly… | 以经济学观点来说… |
[03:20] | That’s why we fought so hard in this deal for copyright enforcement… | 所以我们才努力推动这个协定 |
[03:23] | …to protect the fruits of the new economy: | 保护新经济型态的产物 |
[03:26] | Technology, inventions, ideas. | 科技、创新、发明 |
[03:28] | The stuff where America can’t be beat, where they can’t do it… | 这些美国不会被其他国家取代的产业 |
[03:32] | …in Malaysia for a dollar a day. | 在马来西亚以一天一元的工资 无法做到的事情 |
[03:34] | – Okay. – What about these tractor protests? | 好 那抗议行动该怎么办呢? |
[03:37] | Global economic forces are unstoppable, just like technology itself. | 全球经济趋势是无法阻挡的 就跟科技发展一样 |
[03:41] | Should we have banned ATMs to protect bank tellers? | 难道我们该为了保障银行出纳员的工作 就禁止设立自动提款机吗? |
[03:44] | Or digital watches to prop up the folks who fix grandfather clocks? | 或者是停止制造电子表 好让古老的钟表修理店继续生存? |
[03:47] | – Creates higher-paying jobs. – Creates higher-paying jobs. That simple. | 创造高薪工作机会 创造高薪工作机会就这么简单 |
[03:51] | – He’s bashing the clock industry in here. – India. | 他在抨击钟表业 印度 |
[03:54] | – What? – The communications union was close… | 什么? 通讯传播业总工会差点… |
[03:57] | …to a new contract for 17,000 programmers. | 拿到一个新合约 可以聘用一万七千个程式设计师 |
[03:59] | Jace Computer Networks broke off the talks. | 杰斯电脑公司却中断协商 |
[04:01] | The union thinks JCN’s moving… | 总工会认为杰斯… |
[04:03] | …17,000 computer-programming jobs to India, and that’s why India signed on. | 把那一万七千个工作机会移往印度 所以印度才会同意签贸易协定 |
[04:08] | Seventeen thousand jobs because of the deal I just negotiated? | 我们因为我谈妥的协定 丢了一万七千个工作机会? |
[04:11] | That’s what they think. | 他们是这么认为 |
[04:15] | – Okay. Who else knows about this? – No one. | 好还有谁知道这件事? 没有人知道 |
[04:18] | Don’t… | 不要… |
[04:19] | Leo? | 里奥? |
[04:23] | – We may have a situation. – Congress? | 我们出了点状况 是国会吗? |
[04:25] | – Where were we? – Creating better, higher-paying jobs. | 刚说到哪? 创造更多高薪工作机会 |
[05:18] | – What are critics of free trade missing? – Good question. | 自由贸易评论家忘了提到什么? 好问题 |
[05:21] | – Seventeen thousand programming jobs. – That’s what they’re saying. | 一万七千个程式设计工作机会 他们就是这个意思 |
[05:24] | – Because of the deal we just negotiated. – We don’t know yet. | 因为我们刚谈妥的协定 我们还不确定 |
[05:27] | – Those are new-economy jobs. – Yeah. | 那些新经济型态下的产业 对 |
[05:29] | – Not like putting beads on an abacus. – Which is a lot harder than it sounds. | 跟把珠珠放到算盘上的工作不一样 他们会说那工作也不算简单 |
[05:34] | This could kill the deal on the Hill. | 这可能会害这个协定被国会否决 |
[05:36] | In this economic climate, both parties will run fast. | 以现在的经济状况 两党都应该很快通过 |
[05:39] | “Send your job to Southeast Asia.” Not the best slogan. | 〝把工作机会送到东南亚去〞 这个口号不太好 |
[05:42] | Another problem. The programmers are represented… | 还有一个问题 程式设计师… |
[05:44] | …by the Communications Workers of America. | 是由美国通讯传播工会代表 |
[05:46] | – The CWA? – Yeah. I got a message from Parsons. | 通讯传播工会? 对帕森说的 |
[05:50] | – lf this is real… – You’ve been working with JCN. | 如果这是真的… 你跟杰森电脑公司谈过了 |
[05:52] | All the tech companies. I can’t believe they’d sandbag me like this. | 所有的科技公司都谈了 不敢相信他们竟然堵死我 |
[05:56] | Talk to JCN. You did a great job on this. | 去跟杰森公司谈 |
[05:58] | – I was serious about the rottweiler thing. – Thanks. | 罗威纳犬的事情我是认真的 谢啦 |
[06:01] | – How are the interviews going? – Oh, let’s see… | 访问进行得如何? 我看看… |
[06:04] | …he’s used the phrase “market inelasticity” three times… | 〝市场缺乏敏感度〞这个词 他用了三次… |
[06:06] | …”direct entitlement failure” twice. | 〝直接权利失败〞两次 |
[06:08] | I was waiting for him to wave a piece of chalk, maybe a piece of the GNP. | 我在等他拿起粉笔开始上课呢 教国民生产毛额之类的 |
[06:12] | – Professor in chief. – More like Professor Incoherent. | 总统教授 应该说是反覆无常的教授 |
[06:15] | – What are we hearing from the press? – Why they’re staying at a two-star hotel… | 媒体的反应如何? 议长跟贸易协定的领袖谈判时… |
[06:19] | …where are the speaker and the majority leader on this trade deal… | 为什么只让记者住二星级饭店 |
[06:22] | …plus, counsel sent some press guidance on a new FCC ruling. | 还有联邦通讯传播委员会新的 媒体指南送来了 |
[06:26] | The FCC reached a compromise with Congress on media consolidation. | 联邦通讯传播委员会跟国会达成和解 同意媒体合并案 |
[06:29] | – Happened about an hour ago. – Media consolidation? | 大概是一个小时前的事 媒体合并? |
[06:32] | That plan to let corporations buy up more TV stations. | 财团可以并购… |
[06:35] | So they backed off. | 更多电视台的案子 所以他们退缩了 |
[06:36] | Yeah, who wants the same bunch of big shots controlling the media? | 是啊谁想让同一个集团控制媒体? |
[06:39] | Talking points on the VP’s energy speech so you can help me control the media. | 副总统的能源演说要点 请你先帮我掌控媒体 |
[06:43] | – What’s the compromise? – Instead of letting one company… | 和解的内容是什么? 财团不能买下… |
[06:46] | …own stations reaching 45 percent of viewers, the FCC has agreed… | 收视率超过百分之45的媒体 但是联邦通讯传播委员同意… |
[06:50] | …they can only reach 39.37 percent. | 让财团购买收视率达到 百分之39点37的电视台 |
[06:54] | – 39.37 percent? – This stuff can be very scientific. | 百分之39点37? 这必须很精确 |
[06:57] | I’ll need a slide rule in my briefing. 39.37 percent? | 那我可需要计算尺了 百分之39点37? |
[07:00] | – lf you get questions, you’ll help me…? – Control the media. | 如果有问题你会帮我…? 控制媒体 |
[07:09] | – Today’s my last day at the White House. – Thank you. | 今天是我在白宫的最后一天 谢谢 |
[07:13] | I was hoping you’d give a toast at my going-away party. | 我希望你能在我的欢送会上致词 |
[07:16] | How about a plaque for Best lmpersonation of a Blue Blazer? | 那干脆给你个奖牌 最佳模仿奖如何? |
[07:20] | So you’re coming to the party? | 你会来参加欢送会吗? |
[07:22] | I’m having my own celebration… | 我要自己跟… |
[07:24] | …with five cloves of garlic and the cast of The Exorcist. | 《大法师》的演员 还有五瓣蒜头一起庆祝 |
[07:27] | Speaker’s coming in at 3: 15. Parsons called again, twice. | 议长3点15分会过来 帕森又打电话来两次了 |
[07:30] | Plus, the president sent you a gift. | 还有总统送了礼物过来 |
[07:31] | Have Ed and Larry call Democrats. | 叫艾德跟赖瑞打电话给民主党 |
[07:33] | I want votes in my pocket when I meet with the speaker. | 当我跟议长见面的时候 |
[07:36] | He’s gonna hate these labor side agreements. | 我要看到选票 他会痛恨劳工方面的协定 |
[07:39] | My charts. The JCN lobbyist is coming in. | 我的图表呢 杰森公司的代表来了 |
[07:43] | I need those charts on everything we gave tech versus light industry… | 我需要所有的图表 在这次贸易谈判中… |
[07:47] | …in this trade round. | 讨论科技业与轻工业的部分 |
[07:50] | If you’re all out of joint because we favored tech over light… | 如果因为我们比较支持科技业 就让你慌张成这样的话… |
[07:53] | You’re leaving in eight hours. Any progress getting me on the trip? | 再过八小时就要走了 你有办法让我成行吗? |
[07:57] | – You don’t wanna go. – Which is why I asked 15 times. | 你不会想去的 所以我才问了15次 |
[07:59] | It’s presidential handholding. | 那是总统会谈 |
[08:01] | A motorcade to a battle of the balding, Belgian finance ministers. | 要跟比利时的财政部长 进行赤裸裸的大战 |
[08:04] | – It’s Pittsburgh with an accent. – I didn’t go on the Pittsburgh trip. | 跟匹兹堡没什么两样 匹兹堡那次我没去 |
[08:08] | This isn’t taxpayer-funded tourism. We got jobs to do. | 这不是去旅行 我们有任务在身 |
[08:11] | I’m trying to grow in mine. I’ve been helping on these trade talks. | 我正在试着完成我的任务啊 我一直都在协助贸易谈判的事情 |
[08:14] | – How will you manage by yourself? – I’ll grab someone off the staff. | 你自己一个人怎么处理的来? 我会找个高级专员一起去 |
[08:18] | – The charts? – Grab someone off the advance staff. | 图表呢? 派个高级专员去找 |
[08:20] | – Maybe they can find them for you. – I didn’t mean to… | 他们应该会帮你找到 我不是… |
[08:23] | – I’m busy, okay? – Maybe if you shackled me to my desk… | 我很忙好吗? 如果你把我铐在桌子上… |
[08:26] | …it’d speed up my typing. – Don’t get all Woody Guthrie on me. | 搞不好能让我打字速度快一点 不要这样挖苦我 |
[08:30] | – I got a situation here. – You’re the oppressor. | 我有状况得处理 你是独裁压迫者 |
[08:33] | – That’s Latin for “boss.” – I’m not talking to you. | 那是拉丁文〝老板〞的意思 我拒绝跟你讲话 |
[08:36] | Fine. | 随便 |
[08:46] | Katherine Harper, this is Debbie Fiderer, the president’s secretary. | 凯萨琳哈波这位是黛柏拉费德洛 总统秘书 |
[08:49] | Kate’s our new NSC deputy. I’m bringing her in to see the president. | 凯萨琳是新的国家安全委员会副顾问 我带她来见总统 |
[08:53] | Nice to meet you. The president’s been running late. | 很高兴认识你 总统还在忙 |
[08:55] | – That’s okay, ma’am. – Please call me Debbie. | 没关系女士 叫我黛比就好 |
[08:58] | – Thank you, ma’am. – Top of her class at Annapolis. | 谢谢你女士 她在安纳波利斯是班上第一名 |
[09:01] | – Once an ensign, always an ensign. – Your locator box. | 一日为军终身为军 那是定位器 |
[09:04] | Why, yes. This is so we know where the first family are at all times. | 是的这样才能知道第一家庭的动向 |
[09:07] | Forgive me for… | 不好意思不过… |
[09:09] | – You think you should have it facing out? – Excuse me? | 你觉得把荧幕面向外面好吗? 什么? |
[09:12] | Secret Service locator boxes are code-word clearance or higher. | 密勤局定位器需要密码才行 |
[09:16] | Guests in this wing just need an absence of felony charges. | 进出的贵宾有可能因此被判重刑 |
[09:19] | – Some congressmen don’t even meet that. – We’ve been looking to keep them out. | 有些议员都还不合格呢 我们一直不想让他们进来 |
[09:23] | Just trying to be helpful, ma’am. Debbie. | 我只是想帮忙女士黛比 |
[09:25] | On second thought, feel free to call me ma’am. | 其实你叫我女士也无妨 |
[09:28] | – Let us know when the president’s free? – So nice to meet you. | 等总统有空时通知我们一声好吗? 幸会 |
[09:32] | – All packed and ready for Brussels? – Let’s talk about India. | 准备好出发前往布鲁塞尔了吗? 让我们讨论一下印度的事情 |
[09:35] | Bit out of the way for a layover. | 好像有点离题 |
[09:37] | The CWA says you’re shipping 17,000 computer-programming jobs there. | 通讯传播协会说你们要把一万七千个 程式设计的工作移到印度 |
[09:43] | That’s proprietary information. | 这是属于智慧财产权保护中的资料 |
[09:44] | Then why is India signing this trade deal? | 那为什么印度决定签署协定? |
[09:48] | India, which hated the agricultural provisions, hated the light-industrial… | 印度痛恨农业条款 同时也痛恨轻工业… |
[09:52] | There’s a chance JCN will be moving some programmers there. | 杰森公司是有可能把一些程式设计师 调到印度去 |
[09:55] | You can’t do this. After everything I negotiated for you? | 你不能这样做 我好不容易帮你们谈成这项协定 |
[09:59] | You toughened copyright enforcement. Now it’s safer to move… | 现在版权的规定更加严格 所以我们才得把… |
[10:02] | …sensitive programming work overseas. – Over time, not overnight. | 敏感的程式设计工作移到海外 一段时间之后而不是一夕之间 |
[10:05] | We worked for months without one word about this. | 我们谈了好几个月 你却一个字都没跟我提起 |
[10:08] | – It’s an internal business decision. – Yet somehow India… | 这是内部的决定 然后人口一亿的印度… |
[10:11] | …population 1 billion and rising, slipped into a JCN board meeting? | 不小心渗透进杰森电脑的董事会吗? |
[10:15] | We lobbied. That’s how these things work. | 我们是有进行游说 这种事本来就是这样 |
[10:17] | No. When I help you on a trade deal, you don’t lobby behind my back. | 不当我帮你谈判贸易协定的时候 你不该在我背后耍小动作 |
[10:22] | – That’s how these things work. – It’s economics. | 这才是正确的 这是经济 |
[10:25] | It’s politics. Now I got a union problem. | 这是政治 现在害我得处理工会的问题 |
[10:27] | When they go nuts, I got a Congressional problem. | 如果他们抓狂 到时候国会也会出状况 |
[10:30] | – We’ll help you lobby. We’re good at that. – It won’t pass. | 我们帮你施加压力这个我们很擅长 不会通过的 |
[10:33] | Seventeen thousand flesh-and-blood families… | 一万七千个家庭的生计… |
[10:35] | …spread over who knows how many congressional districts? | 谁知道涵盖多少个国会选区? |
[10:38] | It’s more like 3.3 million jobs over the next 10 years. Industry-wide, of course. | 十年之后就会影响到 三百三十万个工作机会整个产业而言 |
[10:44] | You’re handing out pink slips… | 你竟然在我们开香槟庆祝的时候 |
[10:47] | …when we’re popping champagne corks and Brussels sprouts. | 散发解雇通知 |
[10:51] | We can hold the announcement… | 我们可以暂缓宣布的时间… |
[10:53] | …but American programmers make 40 bucks an hour. In India, it’s 10. | 可是美国的程式设计师一小时40美金 印度只要用10元美金就请得到 |
[10:57] | How much would you save if you move your CEO to India? | 如果把执行长也调到印度 可以省多少钱? |
[11:00] | This is how free trade works. Don’t be surprised jobs are moving overseas. | 这就是自由贸易 工作本来就会移往海外不必讶异 |
[11:04] | These jobs, yes. Eighty-thousand-dollar-a-year jobs, yes. | 这些工作我当然讶异 一年八千美金薪水的工作我很讶异 |
[11:06] | The jobs this deal is supposed to create, on the day we’re leaving to sign it? | 这些工作机会竟然是在 我们即将签署协定时出现? |
[11:11] | If automakers were as innovative… | 如果汽车制造商能有这样的创新力… |
[11:13] | …cars would get 100,000 miles per gallon and cost 50 cents. | 汽车一加仑就可以跑10万英哩 而且油钱只要50分 |
[11:16] | They’d only be this big. | 车子会变成这么小一台 |
[11:19] | Spread the layoffs over a couple of years. | 把裁员的时间拉长几年 |
[11:22] | – Can’t. – Retrain them. | 做不到 再训练他们 |
[11:23] | – Shove them in a back office. – We’re a business, not a halfway house. | 把他们赶到后勤室去 我们是公司又不是中途之家 |
[11:28] | – You told that to the head of your union? – No. | 你跟工会也是这么说的吗? 不是 |
[11:31] | But feel free to tell him yourself. I’m sure he’s on his way here right now. | 不过你可以亲口告诉他 我想他应该正在赶来的路上 |
[11:36] | For many European farmers… | 对于许多… |
[11:38] | … who say globalization is destroying a way of life on their continent… | 宣称全球化摧毁他们生存空间的 欧洲农民而言… |
[11:42] | … that global corporations will now reap the gains… | 那些全球化的企业 现在将开始丰收… |
[11:45] | Can you spend time with Reuters on the flight? | 在飞机上的时候 可以跟路透社谈谈吗? |
[11:47] | They helped us on that steel story. | 他们帮我们写了钢铁业的新闻 |
[11:49] | Is there something funny about these new media-ownership limits? | 这些媒体并购限制有什么 有趣的地方吗? |
[11:52] | – Who’s-on-first funny? – Rotten-in-the-state-of-Denmark funny. | 是谁先买这点有趣吗? 是腐败的社会这点有趣 |
[11:56] | – Let’s never do a stand-up act. – Or a local TV broadcast. | 千万不要去表演脱口秀 或是去主持电视节目 |
[11:59] | Our press guidance says it’s a victory. They were gonna let conglomerates… | 媒体指南说这是个胜利 本来他们让集团… |
[12:03] | …get into 45 percent of all homes. | 购买收视率百分之四十五的电视台 |
[12:04] | And now it’s 39.37 percent… | 结果现在变成百分之三九点三七… |
[12:07] | …a number that ought to come with a decoder ring. | 为什么是这个数字 |
[12:10] | There was a public outcry, they settled for a lower number. | 因为被抗议 所以他们就把数目字降低 |
[12:13] | – A number no one can explain. – The FCC’s totally independent. | 没人解释得了的数字 联邦通讯传播委员会是独立的 |
[12:16] | – Media companies are constituents. – The public are my constituents. | 媒体是委员会的委托人 民众是我的委托人 |
[12:19] | When big business can soak up more local media… | 当大企业有能力吸收媒体… |
[12:22] | – Ben needs to stop by before you leave. – Tell him it’s a bad day. | 班在你走之前想见你 跟他说今天不适合 |
[12:25] | Tell him I’ll call him from the plane. | 跟他说我会在飞机上打电话给他 |
[12:27] | He wants to make sure you don’t sample the endive. | 他要确定你没把莴苣吃掉 |
[12:30] | I can’t be a woman sitting around, eyes a-fluttering, waiting for her man. | 我不是那种左顾右盼 坐在家等男人回来的女人 |
[12:34] | You know, parasols a-twirling. | 我不会眼巴巴的等着我的男人 |
[12:36] | Tell him I’ll call him from the plane. | 告诉他我会在飞机上打给他 |
[12:38] | How come no one can explain this number? | 怎么可能没人能解释这个数字? |
[12:40] | Well, you’re talking about deregulation. You wanna crack that code? | 这是撤销管制规定 你想把话说明吗? |
[12:44] | – Follow the money. – I’ll take care of your Reuters thing. | 钱是最大的 我会去跟路透社谈 |
[12:49] | Carol, pull the FCC media-ownership records from last year, will you? | 卡萝把联邦通讯传播委员会 去年的媒体组织纪录给我好吗? |
[13:00] | – Is this some kind of exclusive? – You could say Christmas came early. | 这算是独家吗? 你可以说是圣诞节提早到了 |
[13:03] | I’m not in the business of doing your investigative reporting. | 我不是要让你们写深入报导 |
[13:07] | – As opposed to blocking it. – Christmas and Arbor Day. | 并非禁止这种报导 是圣诞节还是植树节 |
[13:10] | – Is this about the Brussels trip? – This is about the FCC. | 这跟布鲁塞尔有关吗? 是跟联邦通讯传播委员会有关 |
[13:13] | They just ruled that media conglomerates can buy stations… | 他们刚宣布媒体集团可以买下… |
[13:16] | …reaching up to 39.37 percent of all TV viewers. | 收视率达到 百分之三九点三七的电视台 |
[13:19] | We wrote about this when they tried to make it 45. | 之前说是百分之四十五的时候 我们做过相关报导 |
[13:21] | – Why do you think they’re rolling it back? – And why to 39.37 percent? | 为什么他们要改变心意? 为什么是百分之三九点三七呢? |
[13:26] | I have here the FCC media-ownership records. | 我这里有联邦通讯传播委员会的 媒体组织纪录 |
[13:29] | Turns out, last year… | 我发现去年… |
[13:30] | …MertMedia illegally purchased nine local TV stations… | 莫特媒体集团用不合法的手段 收购九家地方电视台 |
[13:34] | …which brings them to the magic number of, drum roll, please… | 让他们的收视率提升到一个 神奇的数字 |
[13:38] | …39.37 percent. | 也就是百分之三九点三七 |
[13:45] | And Viacom’s at 38.8 percent… | 维尔康集团是百分之三八点八 |
[13:48] | …and News Corp’s at 37.8. | 新闻集团是百分之三七点八 |
[13:53] | In other words, the FCC is bailing out, as in posting bail… | 也就是说 联邦通讯传播委员会试着帮… |
[13:57] | …for huge companies that were illegally gobbling up TV stations… | 那些非法并购电视台的大集团解套… |
[14:00] | …like greasy hors d’oeuvres. | 就像解决恶心的前菜一样 |
[14:05] | Would you like a diagram? | 你们要看图表吗? |
[14:06] | – Can I ask about the Brussels trip? – No, you can’t ask. | 可以问布鲁塞尔的行程吗? 不行 |
[14:10] | – This is a big story. – My business desk is handling it. | 这是条大新闻 财经组正在处理 |
[14:13] | Bang on your editors. This isn’t some technical business story. | 跟编辑讲一下 这不是科技财经新闻 |
[14:16] | This is about diversity on the airwaves, the marketplace of ideas… | 这跟媒体多样化有关 跟商业市场的想法… |
[14:20] | …ensuring a healthy exchange of… | 确保健全的交流… |
[14:26] | You don’t wanna write this because it’s about your owners. | 你们不想写这条新闻 因为是在批评自己的老板 |
[14:29] | There are a million places to get news. We compete. | 还有很多地方可以找到新闻 我们一直很努力追新闻 |
[14:32] | Like you’re competing for this one? | 就像你们追这条新闻的方式吗? |
[14:37] | Let me walk you through the numbers. | 让我跟你们仔细讨论这些数字 |
[14:39] | Talk to your editors. Trust me, this is a story. | 跟你们的主编谈谈 相信我这是一条大新闻 |
[14:42] | – The tractor protests are accelerating. – From 4 miles an hour to 5? | 拖拉机抗议行动持续扩大 从一小时开四英哩变成五英哩吗? |
[14:46] | – Up to 230 tractors. – I get the feeling the soil’s going untilled. | 现在已经聚集了230台拖拉机 土应该都被挖松了吧 |
[14:50] | Advance is worried. They’re jamming up the Place de Brouckère. | 他们很担心那些拖拉机 已经挤到比利时酒店前面了 |
[14:53] | Keep the tractors away from the president. | 不要让拖拉机靠近总统 |
[14:55] | It’s two centuries off our message. | 这跟我们要传达的讯息差很多 |
[14:57] | – How we doing on Democratic votes? – It’s tough. | 民主党的票怎么样? 不太好 |
[15:00] | – They’re terrified of losing jobs. – Keep making calls. Tell them… | 他们对于工作机会大减的事很担心 继续打电话告诉他们… |
[15:03] | Talk about the labor side agreements. | 跟他们谈劳工协议的事情 |
[15:05] | President’s concerned Andy Wyatt… | 总统担心安迪怀特… |
[15:07] | …and these congressmen will negotiate on their own. | 还有这些国会议员 他要亲自跟他们谈 |
[15:09] | You sure you want me on a Congressional delegation to the Middle East? | 你真的要我参加中东国会代表团吗? |
[15:13] | – It’ll only lend it legitimacy. – The president wants you. | 只是增加其合法性 总统要你过去 |
[15:16] | Someone’s gotta block them from trying to move the Israeli border… | 必须要有人去阻止他们 前往以色列边境… |
[15:19] | …and rename the synagogues after prominent North Dakotans. | 然后把那里的犹太教会 以北达可塔人命名 |
[15:23] | Just meet with him on this. | 跟他好好谈谈 |
[15:25] | – Of course I’ll meet with my president. – This afternoon. | 当然我会去见总统 今天下午 |
[15:28] | I almost don’t recognize you without the hardware store on your chest. | 你胸前上没挂那些牌子 害我差点认不出你了 |
[15:32] | Only way I could shed those extra pounds. | 这样我才能减掉几磅 |
[15:35] | – Josh. – Admiral. | 乔西 将军 |
[15:38] | – How’d it go with JCN? – Great, if you write computer code… | 跟杰森电脑谈得如何? 非常好如果你是程式设计师… |
[15:41] | …and live in suburban Bombay. | 又刚好住在孟买的话 |
[15:42] | They’re serious about the 17,000 jobs? | 所以他们真的要把一万七千个工作 移往印度? |
[15:44] | It’s gonna be 3.3 million over 10 years. The tech lobby screwed me on this. | 十年后数字将会增加到三百三十万 我被那个家伙害惨了 |
[15:49] | They were pressing India the whole time. | 他们一直都在对印度施压 |
[15:51] | Parsons and his guys from the CWA are coming here now. | 帕森跟通讯传播工会的人正赶来这里 |
[15:55] | If I let you down on this, if I missed some… | 如果我把这件事搞砸… |
[15:58] | I sent you in there to close a deal. No one does it better. | 我是送你去签订协定的 |
[16:02] | – We need a strategy. – For Capitol Hill. | 我们需要讨论出个对策 对付国会 |
[16:05] | If it becomes a story, yeah. | 如果这件事变成新闻 |
[16:07] | I’m worried the Republicans won’t like this deal as it is. | 我担心共和党不会喜欢这项协定 |
[16:10] | – We don’t run the computer industry. – No, look… | 我们不是控制电脑业的人 听我说… |
[16:12] | …we have to give something to Parsons, to the union, to balance this out. | 我们得帮帕森准备点东西去跟工会谈 |
[16:16] | – Give them what? – The government only buys software… | 给他们什么? 政府只买… |
[16:20] | …made in America. – First, foreign countries would retaliate. | 美国制造的软件 第一外国会进行报复 |
[16:23] | Second, we buy only the lowest-cost goods or we burn taxpayers’ money. | 第二我们只买最低价的东西 不然就会浪费纳税人的钱 |
[16:27] | So we help a few taxpayers earn money. | 这样可以帮一些纳税人赚钱 |
[16:30] | Congress would laugh us out of the room. It’d cost 15, 20 billion a year. | 国会会笑死我们的 这样一年要花150万到200万 |
[16:33] | Short-term, till the benefits of the trade deal kick in. | 这只是暂时性的 等到贸易协定的优势展现出来之后 |
[16:36] | Where’s your suit made? | 你的西装是哪做的? |
[16:39] | – I got this in Georgetown. – Where’s it made? | 在乔治城买的 在哪制造的? |
[16:44] | – Mexico. – I think the “Made in the U.S.A.” labels… | 墨西哥 我想〝美国制〞的标签… |
[16:47] | …are sewn in Mexico now. | 现在都是墨西哥缝制的 |
[16:48] | You wanna ask Congress and the OMB to do what no self-respecting… | 你想叫国会跟预算局跟那些 不自重的… |
[16:52] | …clotheshorse would do. | 女模特儿也不做的事? |
[16:55] | Let’s see if this becomes a thing on the Hill. | 看看国会的反应如何再说吧 |
[16:57] | I’m talking about the union. | 我是说工会的事情 |
[16:59] | The president’s right. Or Schumpeter, or whoever: | 总统说得对 还是熊彼得说的 |
[17:02] | Sometimes you destroy to create. | 有时候毁灭是再创造的必经过程 |
[17:08] | – That’s the danger. You can’t keep… – Your 11:00 is here, Mr. President. | 这就是危险所在你无法… 11点的访客已经到了总统先生 |
[17:12] | A quarter past 12. Will you please stop calling it my 11:00. | 现在已经是12点15分了 不要再强调11点了 |
[17:15] | Very well, sir. | 好的总统 |
[17:17] | – Your 11:05 is still waiting outside. – Thank you. | 11点5分的访客还在等 谢谢 |
[17:20] | If anyone has a stopwatch, we’ll boil eggs. | 如果有人有秒表 我们就来煮些蛋好了 |
[17:22] | Sir, this is Kate Harper, your new deputy national security advisor. | 总统先生这位是凯特哈波 新的国家安全副顾问 |
[17:26] | Yes. I have your CV, very impressive. | 很好我看了你的简历 令人非常印象深刻 |
[17:29] | You’re fluent in Arabic. | 你会说流利的阿拉伯语 |
[17:34] | Thank you. I always forget the punch line myself. | 谢谢我总是忘记力量该放在哪 |
[17:37] | I’ll give you two a chance to get acquainted. | 让我给你们一点时间熟悉彼此 |
[17:39] | Thank you, Nancy. | 谢谢南西 |
[17:41] | Four years in Naval Intelligence… | 你在乌兰巴托大使馆的海军情报部… |
[17:43] | …at our embassy in Ulaanbaatar. – Yes, Mr. President. | 待了四年的时间 是的总统先生 |
[17:48] | Yeah… | 好 |
[17:50] | So we’re off to Brussels. Nancy told you about this French bilateral I’m dreading. | 我们要前往布鲁塞尔 南西应该有跟你说过法国谈判的问题 |
[17:55] | They’re holding two terrorists. | 他们抓到两个恐怖份子 |
[17:57] | They won’t extradite them. They don’t like our laws. | 他们不愿意引渡他们 因为他们不赞同我们的法律 |
[18:00] | We can’t even interrogate if we don’t put the right crease in their linen napkins. | 如果餐巾折错方向 我们就没办法质询他们抓到的重刑犯 |
[18:04] | – That’s one way of looking at it, sir. – You’ve got another way. | 这也是一种观点先生 而你的观点不同 |
[18:08] | – That’s not really my job, Mr. President. – I’m asking you. | 这不是我的工作总统先生 我在问你 |
[18:11] | – There’s a French and an American side. – Your argument. | 这件事法国跟美国有不同观点 我想听听你的想法 |
[18:14] | – Officially, I don’t have an argument. – Yet we’re having one right now. | 我不该有任何论点 但是我要你说 |
[18:21] | Well, sir… | 总统先生 |
[18:23] | What I’d say is France has a body of law and a constitution… | 法国有自己的法律规章 |
[18:27] | …and it’s wrong to trample on either, let alone the extradition process. | 藐视他们的法律本来就是错的 在引渡的事件上更是如此 |
[18:30] | They see it as imperialism. You do it at the risk of shredding a fragile relationship. | 他们觉得美国这样是帝国主义做法 这样会破坏本来就很脆弱的关系 |
[18:35] | – Officially, however… – Debbie. | 不过就官方说法… 黛比 |
[18:37] | Could you bring in my 11:03, whatever it was. | 请11点3分的访客进来 |
[18:39] | – Mr. President, I don’t mean… – Thanks. It was nice meeting you… | 总统先生我不是… 谢谢很高兴见到你 |
[18:43] | Ma’am. I mean Kate. | 女士我是说凯特 |
[18:52] | – No. – Okay. Second question. | 不 好第二个问题 |
[18:55] | – What? – Trade. | 什么? 贸易 |
[18:57] | These Belgian farmers think it’ll cost them jobs. | 这些比利时农夫觉得 这会害他们丢了工作 |
[19:00] | – Probably will. It lets in cheaper produce. – But Belgium’s for it anyway? | 大概吧因为能进口便宜的农产品 但是比利时还是同意? |
[19:03] | May be bad for their farmers, but it’s good for their economy. | 这对他们的农夫或许是坏消息 但对整体经济却是好事 |
[19:06] | Then who’s their economy for? | 这样是为了谁好? |
[19:08] | – Would you please tell Josh…? – Harpo speaks. | 请告诉乔西…? 终于开口了 |
[19:12] | Please tell Josh that Bill Parsons with the CWA will be here soon. | 请转告乔西比尔帕森跟 联邦通讯传播委员会就快到了 |
[19:15] | His 3:30 with Congressman McKenna’s been moved to 3:00. | 他三点半要跟麦肯纳众议员碰面 现在改为三点 |
[19:18] | McKenna’s lucky if I only keep him waiting a half-hour out of spite. | 如果我只让麦肯那等半小时 他就已经算是幸运的了 |
[19:21] | – He says… – Tell him the Social Office wants… | 他说… 跟他说社会局… |
[19:24] | …to remind him about your going-away party. | 叫他不要忘记你的欢送会 |
[19:26] | Tell her a pack of wild bison on stilts couldn’t drag me to your party. | 就算是有一群野牛踩高跷 我也不会去参加派对的 |
[19:30] | He says that actually he’d be quite tickled… Stilts? | 他说其实还颇高兴的…高跷? |
[19:33] | Tell him McKenna’s got an issue with his trade deal. | 告诉他麦肯那对他的贸易协定有意见 |
[19:35] | McKenna can take a check. I can handle a ninth-string congressman. | 麦肯那可以阻止协定 我可以处理他的问题 |
[19:39] | Tell him there’s something he ought to know about… | 告诉他有些事情他应该知道… |
[19:41] | Tell Donna wherever Skippy the translator’s going… | 告诉唐娜不管那个翻译去哪… |
[19:45] | …she ought to go too. | 她也得去 |
[19:46] | – He says give that dashing young Ryan… – Harpo can hear, bright boy. | 他说给那个年轻的莱恩… 我自己听得见 |
[19:56] | – Now can we talk about the Brussels trip? – No. We can’t. | 现在可以讨论布鲁塞尔的事了吗? 不行 |
[19:59] | Carol says you’re not pitching the FCC story. | 卡萝说你不要写 联邦通讯传播委员会的新闻 |
[20:01] | It’s a business story. Just because I don’t agree with your take on it. | 那是财经新闻 我只是不同意你的看法 |
[20:05] | I don’t have a take. The FCC looked at how many stations were owned… | 我没有什么看法 是联邦通讯传播委员会调查了… |
[20:08] | …by the six or seven biggest companies and used that as the number. | 六或七家大公司拥有几家电视台 然后引用了那个数字 |
[20:12] | Media monopolies are history. | 媒体霸权已经是过去式了 |
[20:14] | The Internet’s exploding, TV’s every guy with a camcorder and an uplink. | 网路这么发达只要有手提摄影机 每个人都能做新闻 |
[20:18] | Yet one company can now own stations in 199 of the nation’s 210 media markets. | 可是全国210家媒体 只有一间公司就能掌控其中199家 |
[20:23] | One company can influence the elections of 98 senators, 382 House members… | 一间公司就能影响98个参议员 382个众议员的选举结果… |
[20:27] | It’s a free country. | 这是个自由的国家 |
[20:35] | Till Comcast and Clear Channel puts a big bullhorn in every town square, it is. | 到时候提尔公司跟克里欧集团 在每个城市广场都有超大扩音器 |
[20:41] | – A free country. – I am not a media critic. | 这就是自由的国家 我不是媒体评论家 |
[20:43] | No one in the media is. That’s the problem. | 问题就在于媒体当中 没有人是评论家 |
[20:46] | You’re trying to knock me off this story about job losses. | 你在企图让我别写那个 工作机会减少的新闻 |
[20:49] | – That’s an allegation. – Those are white-collar jobs… | 那只是传言 那些是白领阶级的工作 |
[20:52] | …the jobs the president brags about creating. | 总统不断强调要增加的工作机会 |
[20:55] | People need to know this FCC thing isn’t a victory. | 民众必须知道联邦通讯传播委员会 这件事不是一件好事 |
[20:58] | It’s less, but by the exact amount the companies wanted. | 虽然数目字比较低 但是还是满足那些公司的需求 |
[21:00] | You’re getting into glass-empty, glass-full territory. | 这是供需关系 |
[21:03] | – I’m talking about who pours the water. – Then let’s talk about it. | 我要讨论的是谁造成这种情形 那就来讨论吧 |
[21:07] | Because when seats come open in your briefing room… | 因为当你做简报的时候… |
[21:10] | …I don’t see you giving them to The Pennsauken Post… | 我没看到你开放座位给 《品索肯报》… |
[21:13] | …or Radio Free Botswana. | 或是波斯瓦那电台 |
[21:15] | – We’re not buying up all the media. – You’re the ones giving access. | 我们不是买下媒体的人 你们是纵容他们的人 |
[21:18] | How many seats does MertMedia have in there? Three? | 莫特媒体分配到几个位置?三个? |
[21:21] | How many companies are represented? Seven? Eight? | 当中有几间公司? 七个?还是八个? |
[21:24] | – You want fewer? – No. I wanna talk about Brussels… | 你希望更少吗? 不我想谈布鲁塞尔的事 |
[21:26] | …and you don’t. And I’m on a deadline. | 可是你不想 我现在就要截稿了 |
[21:42] | Aren’t you gonna offer us a drink? | 你不帮我们倒点饮料吗? |
[21:44] | – Bill, I don’t know how this happened. – I do. | 比尔我不知道怎么会发生这种事 我知道 |
[21:46] | You were so desperate to help a bunch of soft-money-donating CEOs… | 你是这么想帮助那些金主… |
[21:50] | …that you sold us up the Ganges River. – I gotta ask you not to go public yet. | 所以就出卖我们 请不要现在泄漏消息 |
[21:55] | Hard as it seems, we’re creating jobs. We’re growing this economy. | 我们在创造机会 帮助经济成长 |
[21:58] | For who, foreign investors? What good is the economy without the people in it? | 为了谁?国外投资者? 人都跑走了经济改善有什么用? |
[22:02] | You knew we were for free trade when you endorsed us five years ago. | 你们在五年前支持我们的时候 就知道我们要自由贸易 |
[22:05] | Because you told us that we might lose old-economy jobs… | 因为你告诉我们 我们可能会丧失旧经济体制的工作… |
[22:08] | …shoe manufacturing, to some dirt-poor country. | 机会可能会被落后国家抢走 |
[22:11] | But if we trained ourselves, we’d get better jobs. | 但如果我们做好训练 就会得到更好的工作 |
[22:15] | Now they’re being vacuumed out of here too. | 结果那些工作机会也要被抢走了 |
[22:17] | We’re gonna fight for more job training, more transition assistance… | 我们要争取更多工作培训的机会 更多职场转换的协助… |
[22:21] | I have members on their third and fourth careers. | 有人已经换了三、四个工作 |
[22:24] | What are they supposed to train for now? Nuclear physics? Cello playing? | 他们现在该怎么办? 学核武物理学?还是拉大提琴? |
[22:28] | Or should they give up and bag groceries for minimum wage? | 或者是干脆放弃 直接去超市当店员拿最低薪资? |
[22:31] | That would still buy a nice house in Bangalore. | 这样的薪水在印度的邦加罗尔 还是可以买栋好房子 |
[22:35] | Well, I’ve got three kids in college. Little late for a transfer, isn’t it? | 我还有三个孩子在念大学 现在调职有点太晚了吧? |
[22:41] | You’ll have pension assistance, wage assistance, you name it. | 你可以拿到退休金 薪资补助 |
[22:46] | I don’t want burial insurance. My career isn’t over yet. I wanna keep my job. | 我才不要那些死亡保险 我的事业还没结束我要的是保住工作 |
[22:50] | You owe us that, Mr. Lyman. | 这是你欠我们的赖曼先生 |
[22:51] | You made that promise five years ago, to my face, in the Wayfarer Hotel. | 你五年前在维法尔饭店 对我做出承诺 |
[22:56] | They’re gonna stay right here till you tell them how you plan to honor it. | 他们将会留在这里 直到你提出解决之道 |
[23:00] | – Where are you going? – To your pressroom… | 你要去哪里? 去记者室… |
[23:03] | …then to Capitol Hill. | 然后到国会去 |
[23:05] | One thing about the communication workers… | 联邦通讯传播委员会的员工… |
[23:08] | …we know how to communicate. | 知道如何沟通 |
[23:14] | You look a lot better on TV. | 你在电视上比较好看 |
[23:21] | In all, the union claims 17,000 white-collar jobs will be shipped to India. | 工会指出将有一万七千个白领工作 将被外移到印度 |
[23:27] | No, congressman. | 不议员 |
[23:29] | Yes, of course. Yeah. | 是当然 |
[23:31] | Yeah, I understand. | 是我了解 |
[23:35] | – What are you doing out here? – Donna’s not talking to me. | 你在这干嘛? 唐娜不跟我说话 |
[23:38] | Plus, there’s soon-to-be unemployed workers in my office. | 而且快失业的人 很快就会挤满我的办公室 |
[23:41] | – With tractors. – Something like that. | 拖拉机也会一起出现 就是这样的情况 |
[23:43] | – Think this job story is true? – It’s proprietary. | 这个工作机会外移的新闻是真的吗? 是讨论专利权的 |
[23:47] | It’ll give the GOP an excuse to squash this trade deal? | 所以共和党就有理由 打压这个贸易协定? |
[23:50] | With midterms coming up, what do you think? How did you become a free-trader? | 你觉得呢? |
[23:55] | America has a quarter of the world’s wealth… | 你怎么会开始支持自由贸易? 美国拥有世界上四分之一的资产… |
[23:57] | …and only 2 percent of the customers. You have to sell to others. | 消费者却只占百分之二 无法不外销 |
[24:01] | How do you make that case to people who will lose jobs? | 该怎么跟那些 即将丢掉工作的人说明? |
[24:04] | Ask them how often they go to Wal-Mart to buy cheap cardigans. | 问他们多常去大卖场去买 便宜的羊毛衫? |
[24:07] | – Or drill bits. – Drill bits? | 或者是钻孔机 钻孔机? |
[24:08] | – I don’t wear cardigans. – Okay. | 我是不穿羊毛衫 好 |
[24:10] | – But I like a nice drill bit. – So it all comes down to cheap drill bits. | 可是我喜欢钻孔机 所以这都是因为钻孔机的缘故 |
[24:14] | Pay more for a bit, you have less to spend on other things. | 如果多付一点钱 花在其他东西的钱就变少了 |
[24:17] | Keep out cheap drill bits… | 如果我们不进口便宜的钻孔机… |
[24:19] | …and that country will keep out cheap American something. That costs us jobs. | 那个国家就不会进口便宜的美国货 这会害我们损失更多工作机会 |
[24:23] | Do you ever wonder if we forget the human face of trade? | 你有想过各行各业的那些平凡人吗? |
[24:29] | The blood and muscle? | 那些人的血汗辛劳? |
[24:31] | Go with what grows the economy for everyone. | 那你就继续支持全民经济发展吧 |
[24:33] | There’s blood and muscle in India too. | 印度也有付出血汗辛劳的人 |
[24:36] | Yeah. | 对 |
[24:39] | Hoynes was pretty critical of free trade when you worked for him. | 你帮何尼斯工作的时候 他十分不赞同自由贸易 |
[24:43] | – Yeah, that was mostly politics. – So how did you become a free-trader? | 对那是政治因素 那你是怎么转而支持自由贸易的? |
[24:49] | I came to work for one. | 因为我现在帮支持自由贸易者工作 |
[24:54] | Did you need something? | 你需要什么吗? |
[24:56] | The vice president is going to distance himself from this trade deal. | 副总统不会支持自由贸易 |
[25:02] | You did a great job. It’s mostly politics. | 你做得很好 一切都是政治考量 |
[25:09] | – I’m sorry, I can ‘t do this right now. – Do what? | 抱歉我做不到 做不到什么? |
[25:12] | This “leaving on a jet plane, can’t bear to be without you” bit. | 这种〝我就要远行 不能失去你〞的情绪 |
[25:15] | – Okay. – I got labor leaders frothing… | 好 我现在得处理工会领袖… |
[25:17] | …at the mouth, making claims, a media conspiracy run amok. | 不断的抱怨 还有媒体集团的阴谋论 |
[25:20] | I can’t need to see you every 37 seconds to achieve completion as a human. | 我没办法每天跟你黏在一起 |
[25:24] | – Fine. – Are we clear on this? | 好 这样清楚了吗? |
[25:26] | – Can I say something? – Go right ahead. | 我可以说句话吗? 说 |
[25:28] | You left your passport at my house. | 你把护照丢在我家了 |
[25:30] | You left your wallet at my house. | 皮夹也放在我家 |
[25:32] | You left your driver’s license and all your credit cards at my house. | 还有驾照跟所有信用卡 |
[25:39] | Have a safe flight. | 祝旅途平安 |
[25:42] | Are you…? | 你…? |
[25:45] | There’s this nice little place… | 我知道有一家很棒的小餐厅… |
[25:54] | Can I interest you in a late lunch? | 你愿意跟我一起吃午餐吗? |
[26:05] | Josh. | 乔西 |
[26:07] | Josh. | 乔西 |
[26:09] | This job story is killing us with the Democrats. | 这个新闻会破坏我们跟 民主党的关系 |
[26:12] | Think the speaker will smell blood in the water and spike this thing? | 议长会察觉到吗? |
[26:15] | Belgian prime minister’s letting the tractors in. | 比利时首相让拖拉机进场 |
[26:18] | – 260 tractors next to the ceremony site. – It’s like the hayseed Olympics. | 总共有260台拖拉机在会场出现 感觉像是农村版的奥运 |
[26:22] | – Maybe if we plant corn… – Stop mocking the farmers. | 如果我们改种玉米… 不要再开农夫的玩笑了 |
[26:24] | They’re just trying to scratch out a living. | 他们只是为自己争取生存空间 |
[26:31] | This no-talking thing isn’t working for me. | 我没办法这样冷战下去 |
[26:37] | You have a 3:00. I need to brief you, and they won’t leave your office. | 你三点有约我得跟你做简报 还有他们不愿意离开办公室 |
[26:40] | – I know. – I tried to move them. | 我知道 我试着叫他们离开 |
[26:42] | You want me to call Secret Service? | 要我打电话给密勤室吗? |
[26:45] | No. | 不用 |
[26:47] | I just wanna grow in my job, do something meaningful. | 我只是想把工作做好 做些有意义的事情 |
[26:50] | Do more than earn a paycheck till I die. | 而不只是领薪水 |
[26:54] | Why are you saying that? | 你干嘛说这些? |
[26:56] | I only have one career, and I want it to matter, or I might as well be a soda jerk. | 这是我唯一的工作我希望是有意义的 不然还不如去当餐厅服务生 |
[27:00] | Let’s go back to not talking for a while. | 我们还是继续冷战好了 |
[27:03] | You missed a great party. | 你错过了一个很棒的派对 |
[27:04] | I got bigger problems than your brass parachute. | 我有更重要的事情要处理 |
[27:08] | – Where you going? – To meet Congressman McKenna. | 你要去哪? 去见麦肯纳众议员 |
[27:10] | – That’s funny… – No, it isn’t funny. | 真有趣… 这一点都不有趣 |
[27:12] | He’s a two-bit jerk of a junior House member. | 他不过是个菜鸟议员 |
[27:14] | He holds us hostage every time we have a budget or trade deal… | 每次我们有预算案或贸易协定 他就会… |
[27:18] | …or enough discretionary authority to buy ice cream. | 想办法威胁我们 |
[27:20] | I got the speaker of the House in 10 minutes. | 10分钟以后议长要过来 |
[27:23] | I’m gonna smile, bob my head and stick him in the “out” box. | 我会微笑着把他赶出去 |
[27:32] | – Beat it. I got a meeting. – So do I, is the thing. | 快点我有会要开 我也是 |
[27:34] | – It’s just me and McKenna. – I’m his new legislative director. | 只有我跟麦肯纳众议员 我是他新的立法总长 |
[27:39] | Hi. He figured it’d be leverage enough he’s on two authorizing committees… | 嗨他参与两个重要委员会 这样的影响力… |
[27:44] | …and can stall your budget priorities. Is this where you smile and bob your head? | 足够阻挡你的预算案 你准备现在微笑赶我走了吗? |
[27:50] | McKenna has a problem with the Brussels Round? | 麦肯那对于布鲁塞尔会议有意见? |
[27:53] | Just wants a seat on the plane. | 只是想要参与此趟行程 |
[27:56] | That question you asked, who’s an economy for… | 你问的那个问题 关于经济发展是为了谁… |
[28:00] | I don’t care about trade. | 我对贸易协定一点都不在乎 |
[28:01] | You taught me that my view doesn’t matter anyway. | 是你让我了解 我的意见一点都不被重视 |
[28:04] | You take your boss’s position, lock, stock and sound bite… | 你只要跟老板站在同一边 当他的传声筒… |
[28:07] | …and you get what you came for. Am I right? | 就可以得到你想要的东西 对吗? |
[28:10] | I think there’s too many channels as it is. Cooking channel, botany channel. | 现在的电视台太多了 连煮菜、种花都有专属频道 |
[28:14] | I’m waiting for a channel devoted to explaining the other channels. | 我希望有个频道能做个榜样 |
[28:18] | We’ll do news mags. Know when they passed laws… | 我们可以做新闻杂志类节目 知道什么时候会通过法律… |
[28:20] | …that limit media ownership? | 限制集团垄断媒体吗? |
[28:22] | In the ’40s, a response to fascism in Europe. | 在40年代的时候 这是对于欧洲法西斯主义的回应 |
[28:24] | I saw that on the fascism channel. | 我在法西斯主义的频道有看到 |
[28:26] | Laugh now, Channel Boy. Soon it’ll be the only one left. | 笑吧媒体人 很快就会只剩下一个电视台了 |
[28:31] | – Hi. – Hi, Leo McGarry. You must be Ben. | 嗨 嗨我是里奥马加瑞你一定是班 |
[28:34] | – C.J.’s nuts about you. – Not really, actually. | 茜洁为你疯狂 没那么严重 |
[28:36] | Why are you hawking this FCC story? I got calls from two network news heads. | 你为什么到处推销 联邦通讯传播委员会的新闻?已经有两家电视台主管打电话给我了 |
[28:40] | Of course you have. They’re crazy about this ruling. | 当然啦他们对这个规定有很大的反应 |
[28:43] | My problem is I’m too easy to get on the phone. | 他们太容易打电话找到我 |
[28:45] | I need you pushing back on the job losses. Our caucus is going bananas. | 我要你挡一下工作外移的新闻 我们的干部都快疯了 |
[28:49] | This is a bailout for MertMedia. | 这是对莫特媒体的紧急措施 |
[28:51] | The president’s against excessive media ownership. | 总统反对过度媒体霸权 |
[28:54] | If we think the FCC’s not looking out for the little guy, say it. | 如果我们认为联邦通讯传播委员会 不站在小媒体这一边那就照实说 |
[28:58] | No one’s writing about it. They’re afraid of their robber-baron bosses. | 没有人要写这个新闻 他们都害怕得罪自己的老板 |
[29:01] | This is the biggest media conspiracy… | 这是继媒体大亨威廉鲁道夫赫斯特 发动媒体大战以来… |
[29:03] | …since William Randolph Hearst was starting wars. | 媒体最大的阴谋 |
[29:06] | We don’t run the press. We certainly don’t run the FCC. | 我们不是媒体经营者 更不是联邦通讯传播委员会的老板 |
[29:09] | – They made the ruling. – Local news is getting trampled. | 规定是联邦通讯传播委员会定的 地方电视台会被害惨 |
[29:12] | Do you think corporate media is gonna take on polluters… | 你想大媒体会愿意攻击自己… |
[29:15] | …describe mega-mergers as anything other than a rising stock price? | 不把集团捧成股价上升的势力吗? |
[29:18] | When’s the last time you watched local news? | 你多久没看地方新闻了? |
[29:20] | I mean, it’s just high school Ping-Pong… | 地方新闻只有高中乒乓球赛 |
[29:23] | …weathermen predicting hailstones the size of canned hams. | 或是气象主播预告 罐头大小的冰雹来袭 |
[29:26] | – National programming bother you? – No, I spent my career in Moose Jaw. | 你喜欢看国内新闻? 是啊我在慕思爵小镇工作 |
[29:30] | – I get my news off CNN. – I like this one. | 不过我看有线电视 我喜欢这家伙 |
[29:32] | He’s about to become available. | 他快要辞职了 |
[29:35] | It had to be MertMedia. | 一定是莫特媒体 |
[29:38] | – MertMedia? – CEO calls me every month… | 莫特媒体? 他们的执行长每个月都打电话给我… |
[29:40] | …to offer me a job, corporate communications. I’m due for a call. | 邀请我去公司做企业公关方面的工作 我得给他们回覆 |
[29:43] | – You’re not leaving your… – No, I’m not. | 你不会想要离开现在的… 是的 |
[29:46] | I don’t know who the FCC is looking out for, but I came here for the little guy. | 我不知道联邦通讯传播委员会在帮谁 不过我可是站在小媒体这一边 |
[29:50] | How come only the big guy is trying to hire me? | 为什么只有大媒体想雇用我? |
[29:54] | Call Facilities Maintenance. Get me workmen. | 打电话给维修单位 帮我找工人来 |
[29:56] | – Workmen. – Carpenters, joiners, quitters… | 工人 木匠、细木工、要离职的家伙… |
[29:58] | …whatever they got. | 随便他们派什么人来 |
[30:00] | – May I ask you…? – Like a surgeon wields a scalpel… | 请问…? 就像外科医生挥舞着他的手术刀… |
[30:02] | …like a barrister wields his… Whatever it is he wields. | 律师挥舞着… 随便他拿着什么 |
[30:06] | I’m using my briefing room. | 我要用简报室 |
[30:09] | Mr. Speaker, I guess you’ve seen the story about the job losses. | 议长先生我想你应该已经知道 工作外移的消息了 |
[30:12] | – I have. – I know it’s easy to play politics here… | 是的 我知道要耍政治手段很容易… |
[30:15] | …but it’s just an allegation. This deal will create jobs over time. | 可是这一切只是推断而已 这个协定长久下来是能创造更多工作 |
[30:20] | No one is more concerned about the dislocation than me. | 我比任何人都还关心这个问题 |
[30:23] | So if you’ve got some issues, we should… | 所以如果你有意见 我们应该… |
[30:26] | – Let’s get right to my issues. – Sure. | 先来讨论我认为有问题的部分 当然 |
[30:29] | I have no issues. | 我没有异议 |
[30:31] | Meaning? | 意思是? |
[30:33] | Meaning you’re home, Josh. | 意思是你做得很漂亮乔西 |
[30:35] | – Excuse me? – You’re home. | 什么? 你做得很漂亮 |
[30:37] | I can get you 200, maybe 210 Republican votes. | 我大概可以给你200张 或是210张共和党的票 |
[30:40] | My members love it. You did a fantastic job. | 我的党员们很喜欢这个协定 你做得非常成功 |
[30:43] | – They love it? – Business lobby loves it. | 他们喜欢? 财经游说团喜欢这个协定 |
[30:45] | Tech lobby loves it. Unions always complain about trade. | 科技游说团也很赞同 工会一直都对贸易限制有意见 |
[30:48] | – The labor side agreements. – Those things aren’t even enforceable. | 劳工协定 那些东西无法强迫实施 |
[30:52] | – And if there are white-collar job losses? – We knew there might be. | 如果有白领阶级工作流失呢? 我们已经预期到了 |
[30:56] | The tech lobby was pressing India to sign the thing. | 科技游说团一直在游说 印度签下协定 |
[31:00] | – You knew about that? – Yeah, so did the White House. | 你已经知道了? 是的白宫方面也知情 |
[31:03] | It’s the way things were going anyway. | 这是无法阻挡的趋势 |
[31:06] | India can have our programming jobs. | 印度可以拿下我们的程式设计工作 |
[31:09] | We’ll give them up, like we gave up horses and buggies. | 我们愿意放弃 就像之前放弃马跟车子一样 |
[31:12] | They can’t take away what’s great about the American spirit. | 不过他们抢不走美国精神 |
[31:16] | So that’s it? | 就这样? |
[31:19] | Unless I can interest you in running for Congress as a Republican. | 还是你想要以共和党员身分 参选众议员? |
[31:23] | I’m kidding. | 我是开玩笑的 |
[31:24] | Tell the president to have a great trip. We’ll start whipping votes. | 请转告总统祝他旅途愉快 我们会开始抢票 |
[31:43] | So the vice president’s distancing himself. | 所以副总统选择不支持贸易协定 |
[31:46] | Lots of Democrats are. | 很多民主党员也是一样 |
[31:48] | But things went well with the speaker. | 可是跟议长的对话很顺利 |
[31:54] | We knew the tech lobby was leaning on India. | 我们早就知道科技游说团 一直在鼓励印度支持协定? |
[31:58] | Lots of lobbies lean on lots of people. | 游说团支持很多人 |
[32:00] | You sent me knowing it might cost the CWA jobs. | 你明明知道工作机会可能外流 还派我过去 |
[32:03] | I sent you into that room to close a deal. | 我是派你过去敲定协议 |
[32:05] | No one put you in charge of economic policy. | 没人要你做出任何经济方面的政策 |
[32:07] | You didn’t tell me because I wouldn’t have made the deal. | 你没告诉我是因为如果我知情 就不会提出这项协定 |
[32:10] | When the president wants a deal, you close it. | 任何总统想要的协定 你都得负责去完成任务 |
[32:13] | – We don’t sign waivers around here. – We made a promise. | 我们不能放弃 我们做了承诺 |
[32:15] | Me and the president. | 我跟总统之间 |
[32:18] | That’s how we got CWA, the first union to endorse us in the first campaign. | 所以我们才会得到通讯传播工会的支持 他们是第一个资助我们首任选举的工会 |
[32:22] | Which is how we got the AFL-CIO, how we won lowa, South Dakota. | 然后我们才能赢得劳工总会的支持 还有爱荷华州跟南达科塔州 |
[32:27] | That was my job too. You think we’d be here without it? | 那也是我的工作之一如果 没有他们的支持我们能站在这吗? |
[32:30] | You campaign in poetry, you govern in prose. | 选举的口号都很漂亮 执政有执政的困难 |
[32:33] | We promised that union we would protect their jobs. | 我们答应工会要保护他们的工作 |
[32:35] | – We said it right to Parsons’ face. – We said we’d try to look out for them. | 我们当着帕森的面向他担保的 我们说会努力帮助他们 |
[32:39] | That’s not what we meant. We have to strip out the copyright provisions. | 我们不是那个意思 我们得停止版权条款 |
[32:43] | – We’ll give them transition assistance. – They call it burial insurance. | 我们会给他们职场转换协助 他们说那是死亡保险 |
[32:47] | Well, it’s all burial insurance, isn’t it? | 的确是死亡保险不是吗? |
[32:50] | Great. Let’s revise the talking points. | 很好改一下演讲要点吧 |
[32:54] | “The case for sweatshop labor.” | 〝血汗工厂劳工案〞 |
[32:57] | “Send your 9-year-old to a factory.” Let’s call this deal “To Hell with Everything.” | 〝把你的九岁小孩送到工厂去〞 把这个协定改名为〝管他去死〞 |
[33:01] | I sent you in there to close a deal, and you did. Thank you. | 我派你去搞定协议 你做到了谢谢 |
[33:04] | There are tradeoffs. | 都是利益交换 |
[33:06] | Lose 17,000 here, gain 30,000 there. | 在这里失去一万七千个工作 可以在那里增加三万个机会 |
[33:10] | They’re humans. You’re talking abstractions. | 你说的是人 而不是什么抽象的概念 |
[33:12] | As opposed to what? | 所以呢? |
[33:14] | Meeting every factory worker in America? | 我该跟每个美国的劳工见面? |
[33:16] | Reviewing every line of computer code and giving little check marks? | 还是检查每个条码? |
[33:20] | We run a country. We deal in abstractions. | 我们在治理一个国家 处理的本来就是抽象的问题 |
[33:22] | Easy for you to say. You’re not the one who screwed 3.3 million people. | 你说得倒轻松反正又不是你 搞砸三百三十万个人民的生活 |
[33:25] | Neither are you. It’s the president’s agenda. | 那也不是你造成的 这是总统的意思 |
[33:30] | And it was the president’s promise, which you can’t break… | 也是他做出的承诺 这个承诺不管是你… |
[33:34] | …I can’t break, and I am taking this to him… | 或是我都不能破坏 我要去跟他谈这个问题… |
[33:37] | …if I have to park a tractor on the South Lawn to do it. | 就算要我在南草坪停一台拖拉机 都没有关系 |
[33:59] | – Hey. – Hey. | 嘿 嘿 |
[34:01] | The CWA said some nasty things about you to the press. | 通讯传播工会对记者说了对你不利的话 |
[34:03] | – Yeah, I saw. – Tell your pals at JCN… | 我看到了 叫你那些杰森公司的朋友… |
[34:05] | …to buy some TV stations, shut this down in a hurry. | 把一些媒体买起来 就可以马上让他们闭嘴 |
[34:08] | That’s good advice. | 这个建议不错 |
[34:11] | All the work you do with the unions… | 你努力跟工会协商那么久… |
[34:13] | …why did Leo put you at that negotiating table? | 为什么里奥要派你上谈判桌? |
[34:15] | Because I asked him. | 是我要求他让我去的 |
[34:19] | You spend your whole career trying to get in the room… | 你努力工作就是为了争取 上谈判桌的机会… |
[34:22] | …as if you’re the one who can square every circle, and it turns out… | 以为自己能把圆的变成方的 |
[34:26] | A circle’s a circle. | 结果圆圈永远都只能是圆圈 |
[34:29] | There’s our geometry lesson for the day. | 这是今天的几何学课内容 |
[34:32] | – See you on the plane. – Yeah. | 飞机上见了 好 |
[34:33] | You know what these CODELs are like. | 你应该了解这些代表团 |
[34:36] | We don’t need any dime-store diplomats gumming up the peace process. | 我们不需要那些低级的外交官 来扰乱和平进程 |
[34:40] | There is no peace process. | 没有什么和平进程 |
[34:42] | Dime-store diplomats may be better than no diplomats at all. | 总比没有外交官还好 |
[34:45] | Do we really need a bunch of congressmen doing backseat diplomacy? | 我们真的需要靠议员做秘密外交? |
[34:49] | You want me to go all the way to the Middle East with a whistle… | 你要我大老远跑到中东去… |
[34:53] | …teach congressmen how to make lanyards? | 教那些议员怎么做拉火绳吗? |
[34:55] | I need you to go so we can stay out of trouble. | 我要你去是为了省下一堆麻烦 |
[34:57] | It’s the best we can do in that region right now. | 这是我们在那个地方 唯一能做的事情 |
[35:00] | Come back with lanyards, I’ll toss in a couple of new medals. | 带着拉火绳回来 我会再给你几个勋章的 |
[35:03] | I’ll go. | 好我去 |
[35:04] | You know I’ll do whatever you want, Mr. President… | 你知道我会照你的意思去做 总统先生 |
[35:07] | …but I think we should be more engaged, not less. | 不过我想我们应该做更多 |
[35:10] | – Thank you, Fitz. I appreciate it. – Thank you so much. | 谢谢 谢谢 |
[35:12] | – Would you give us a minute, please? – Sure. | 请给我们一点时间好吗? 当然 |
[35:25] | Leo’s told me about the 17,000 jobs. | 里奥跟我说了一万七千个工作的事 |
[35:27] | We have to fix this thing. | 我们得处理这个问题 |
[35:29] | – We’ve talked about creative destruction. – We made a promise. | 我们讨论过创造性的毁灭这个概念 我们做了承诺 |
[35:32] | It’s the evolutionary nature of capitalism. | 这是资本主义自然的演进过程 |
[35:35] | This isn’t economic theory. | 这不是什么经济学理论 |
[35:37] | Where’s our allegiance, to our own people… | 我们对全国民众的诚信何在? |
[35:39] | …or to Third-World plutocracies? | 对于第三世界的财阀呢? |
[35:41] | There are children in those plutocracies… | 在那些地方有很多贫穷的孩子… |
[35:44] | …who dig through trash heaps for food, who’d kill for a low-wage job. | 必须在垃圾堆里找食物 愿意做任何低薪的工作 |
[35:49] | You think if they’re not sewing sneakers… | 你以为如果他们不想缝球鞋的话… |
[35:51] | …they’re downing cocktails at a ball? | 可以选择去舞会喝鸡尾酒吗? |
[35:54] | This is different. Programmers have middle-class jobs. | 这不一样 程式设计是中产阶级的工作 |
[35:56] | – Different how, because we know them? – Different… | 哪里不同?因为我们认识他们? 不同之处在于… |
[35:59] | …because you and I looked them in the eye five years ago… | 你跟我在五年前亲自对他们做了承诺… |
[36:03] | …at the Wayfarer Hotel. | 就在维法尔饭店 |
[36:06] | I know that we did. | 我知道 |
[36:10] | And sometimes I wish I could stick to the theory. | 我也希望自己能做得到 |
[36:13] | I don’t like seeing our friends get hurt. | 我不希望看到自己的朋友受伤害 |
[36:15] | – Then let’s not hurt our friends. – By doing what? | 那就别这么做 那要怎么办呢? |
[36:18] | Building a wall around the country so we can keep those jobs… | 在国家四周围筑起城墙 然后保住那些工作… |
[36:21] | …a bit longer and never create any new ones? | 不再创造新的工作机会? |
[36:24] | Passing a law that no one can be fired, even if they play video games… | 通过法案让大家就算每天打电动 也都不会被炒鱿鱼? |
[36:27] | …at their desks all day? I’ll get a spike in the polls for that one. | 做出这种承诺的话 我一定可以吸引一堆选票 |
[36:31] | CWA’s the reason we’re in this room. | 通讯传播工会帮助我们当选 |
[36:33] | And they would prefer a Republican who’d support free trade… | 他们会宁愿选择一个 支持自由贸易的共和党员… |
[36:36] | …then gut job training and eviscerate unemployment insurance? | 而不支持工作培训跟 取消失业保险? |
[36:40] | We made a promise. | 我们做了承诺 |
[36:45] | There was a man named Canute, one of the great Viking kings… | 以前有个叫做肯度的人 他是一个伟大的维京国王… |
[36:48] | …of the 11 th century. | 在11世纪的时候 |
[36:50] | Wanted his subjects to be aware of his limitations… | 他希望他的臣民知道 他的能力有限 |
[36:53] | …so he led them down to the sea… | 所以他把他们带到海边 |
[36:55] | …and he commanded that the tide roll out. | 然后命令海卷起浪潮 |
[36:59] | It didn’t. | 结果并没有成功 |
[37:01] | Who gave us the notion presidents can move the economy like a play toy? | 是谁造成这种错误印象 以为总统可以掌控经济的走向? |
[37:06] | That we can do more than talk it up… | 是谁让大家以为我们能实现 所有的承诺 |
[37:10] | …or smooth over the rough spots? | 或是让情势好转? |
[37:18] | It’s a lie. | 那些不过是谎言 |
[37:21] | What we really owe that union is the truth. | 我们欠工会的是真实的情况 |
[37:25] | We’re running around saying free trade creates high-paying jobs. | 我们告诉大家自由贸易能创造 高薪的工作机会 |
[37:29] | And it will. | 这是真的 |
[37:33] | But I’ve been trying to tell you it’s not that simple. | 可是我想告诉你的是 事情并没有那么简单 |
[37:37] | I’ll set up a call with Bill Parsons. | 我会跟比尔帕森联络 |
[37:44] | Be nice to roll back that tide, wouldn’t it? | 如果能扭转时势就好了对吧? |
[37:48] | Yes, Mr. President, it sure would. | 是的总统先生 |
[37:53] | – Do me a favor. – What’s that? | 帮我个忙 什么事? |
[37:54] | – Start preparing a statement. – Saying what? | 开始准备声明稿 声明什么? |
[37:57] | Retracting everything I’m about to say to the room. | 我收回我待会要在简报室说的话 |
[38:02] | Good afternoon, folks. I have to apologize. | 午安各位 我得说声抱歉 |
[38:05] | The pre-Brussels briefing won’t start for a half an hour or so. | 布鲁塞尔行前记者会 得延迟半小时举行 |
[38:08] | What happened in here? | 发生什么事了? |
[38:10] | We’re making adjustments to your seating. | 我们在调整你们的位置 |
[38:12] | – Adjustments? – You’re aware of the FCC’s new rules… | 调整? 你们都该知道联邦通讯传播委员会… |
[38:15] | …on media ownership. | 关于媒体集团的新规定 |
[38:16] | As you’ve reported, they’re a big victory for the little guy. | 如同你们所报导的 这是小媒体的大胜利 |
[38:20] | If by little, of course, we mean transnational… | 如果小媒体代表的是… |
[38:22] | …multi-billion-dollar conglomerates. | 亿万资产的集团 |
[38:24] | And in that spirit of runaway populism… | 那么本着失控的民粹主义… |
[38:27] | …the White House briefing room will now offer one seat per corporate owner. | 白宫简报室从现在开始 每个集团都只提供一个位置 |
[38:31] | One seat for MertMedia, one for GE… | 所以莫特媒体分到一个位置 奇异电子也是一个位置 |
[38:33] | …one for Disney, Viacom, News Corp, Clear Channel, Tribune… | 迪士尼、维尔康、新闻集团 克里欧频道、《先锋报》都一样 |
[38:37] | You’ll have to flip a coin to see who gets to sit. | 你们大家就丢铜板决定 谁可以留在位置上 |
[38:40] | Why are you doing this? | 为什么这样做? |
[38:41] | Because if America’s choices are gonna be restricted, so are yours. | 因为如果美国的选择开始受限 你们也不能例外 |
[38:45] | Brock, see if your business desk will lend you a folding chair. | 布拉克看看你的财经组 能不能给你一张折叠椅 |
[38:49] | See seven of you in half an hour. | 你们当中的七个人 半小时后见罗 |
[38:56] | They’re still in your office. | 他们还在你办公室 |
[38:59] | – Yeah. – What are they doing? | 喔 他们在干嘛? |
[39:03] | Waiting by the sea. | 等待 |
[39:08] | What’s this? | 这是什么? |
[39:11] | Your diplomatic passport. | 你的外交护照 |
[39:16] | – You got me a seat… – No, I had to give mine to McKenna. | 你帮我弄到位置了 没有我把我的给麦肯那了 |
[39:19] | I’m going on the press plane. | 我要跟媒体一起坐 |
[39:22] | Well, you tried. | 至少你努力试过 |
[39:23] | You’re going to the Middle East with Fitzwallace and Andy. | 你要跟费兹华利斯和安迪去中东 |
[39:26] | No presidential handholding. See what’s going on. Brief me and Toby about it. | 而不是去总统演说你去看看情况 然后回报给我跟托比 |
[39:32] | What I did wrong wasn’t breaking my word. | 我做错的不是没有遵守承诺 |
[39:36] | It was making a promise I couldn’t keep in the first place. | 而是给了一个我根本做不到的承诺 |
[39:48] | I understand we lost about 39.37 percent of the seats in the briefing room. | 我们砍了简报室里 百分之三九点三七的座位 |
[39:53] | I retracted that. The government will bill me for carpentry. | 我收回了政府会把 木工的帐单寄给我 |
[39:56] | I know you have a two-by-four to pick with the FCC. | 我知道你是用二乘四的规格 |
[39:59] | You said I could use the briefing room. | 你说我可以使用简报室的 |
[40:02] | – I did. – Our own press guidance… | 我是说过 我们的媒体指南说… |
[40:04] | …said it was for the little guy when it was an amnesty for monopolists. | 赦免媒体霸权其实是为了小媒体着想 |
[40:08] | And when do we stop rewarding it? | 什么时候我们才要停止这种恶性奖励? |
[40:10] | – Can I ask you a question? – Sure. | 我可以问个问题吗? 当然 |
[40:12] | Who’s the little guy? I’m serious. | 谁是小媒体?我是很认真的 |
[40:14] | Who is he? Do you know of any poor, struggling station owners? | 是谁?你认识贫困潦倒的电视主管吗? |
[40:18] | Some guy in hand-me-downs tying antennas to a pickup truck? | 有人困苦到把天线绑在卡车上吗? |
[40:23] | – No. – Even the smallest stations earn millions. | 没有 即使是小电视台收入都好几百万 |
[40:26] | Lots of them have no news programming at all. | 当中很多连新闻节目都没有 |
[40:29] | We’re supposed to upend the marketplace on principle alone? | 我们难道应该墨守成规 把媒体市场机制搞的天翻地覆吗? |
[40:32] | People need to know what’s going on. | 人民有知的权利 |
[40:34] | They need to know changes are happening when no one’s looking. | 他们需要知道当中的改变 |
[40:37] | That doesn’t mean we can stop them. | 但是我们还是无法阻止这个改变 |
[40:39] | It doesn’t mean we go down without a fight, either. | 也不代表我们就该坐以待毙 |
[40:48] | Send me that bill. | 把帐单寄给我 |
[40:50] | I’d like to pay for the carpentry myself. | 木工的钱我来付 |
[40:53] | Thanks. | 谢谢 |
[40:55] | But it was worth every nickel. | 不过每一分钱都值得 |
[40:57] | I’m educated. I work as hard as anybody. | 我受很好的教育 我跟大家一样努力 |
[41:01] | And this isn’t the first time I’ve lost my job. | 可是这不是我第一次失业了 |
[41:05] | Where does it end? | 到底什么时候才能停止? |
[41:07] | Am I gonna be working at a video-rental counter… | 难道要我去当百事达的店员… |
[41:10] | …next to some high school dropout? | 跟辍学的高中生当同事吗? |
[41:13] | The staff vans are leaving. | 幕僚专车要开了 |
[41:17] | Ten years ago, I worked for this senate candidate. | 十年前 我帮一位参议员候选人做事 |
[41:21] | He had this idea… | 他认为… |
[41:23] | …that health care, pensions, even vacation time ought to be portable. | 健保、退休金 甚至连休假时间都应该跟着人走 |
[41:29] | It should follow you from job to job… | 不管你换了什么工作 |
[41:32] | …because everyone was gonna work 15 jobs in a lifetime. | 因为每个人一生都得换15份工作 |
[41:36] | Might as well fly in the teeth of it. | 搞不好更多 |
[41:39] | And we talked him out of it. | 我们劝住他别那样做 |
[41:41] | Told him he was scaring the bejesus out of people. | 跟他说那样会把选民吓跑 |
[41:44] | Who wants to know about 15 jobs? | 谁想知道自己一生 得换那么多份工作 |
[41:48] | Maybe we should’ve done that. I don’t know. | 不过或许当初我们应该那样做 我不知道 |
[41:51] | What do you know, Mr. Lyman? | 你有何意见赖曼先生? |
[41:55] | We can’t save your jobs. | 我们无法帮你挽回工作 |
[41:59] | We are gonna create more in the long run… | 长时间下来 一定能创造更多工作机会 |
[42:01] | …but we can’t save your jobs. | 但是现在我们救不了你 |
[42:04] | It’s the short run we gotta figure out. | 我们得找出处理短时间危机的方法 |
[42:09] | The world’s moving faster. | 这个世界日新月异 |
[42:11] | We can’t stop it. I wish we could. | 我们无法阻止它的前进 我也希望我们可以 |
[42:20] | We are gonna do more to prepare you. | 我们会做更多来帮助你们 |
[42:24] | We have to. | 这是我们得做的事情 |
[42:31] | Is that a promise? | 这算是承诺吗? |
[42:33] | No. | 不是 |
[42:35] | But we’re gonna try. | 但是我们会努力去做 |