时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:05] | Previously on The West Wing: | |
[00:07] | The position of White House chief of staff. . . | 白宫幕僚长一职 |
[00:10] | . . .will be filled by Claudia Jean Cregg. | 将由茜洁葛瑞担任 |
[00:13] | The president can send… | 总统还可以派… |
[00:14] | … C.J. Cregg to Ramallah to swat at suicide bombers with her purse. | 总统还可以派… 茜洁葛瑞到蓝马拉 用她的皮包攻击自杀炸弹客 |
[00:20] | My purse?! Page Carol! Get him the hell out of there! | 我的皮包?呼叫卡萝 要他给我下来 |
[00:24] | Can I apologize again? | 我能再次道歉吗? |
[00:25] | No, but let’s move finding my replacement from priority three to one. | 我能再次道歉吗? 不能,但寻找新发言人 要从第三优先事项移到第一 |
[00:28] | The president made me promise that when I got the degree, I’d leave this job. | 总统要我答应他 一拿到学位就辞职 |
[00:32] | He doesn’t want me holding his jacket for the rest of my life. | 他不希望 我帮他拿一辈子的外套 |
[00:34] | You don’t want a new press secretary. | 你还不需要新的发言人 |
[00:36] | And who exactly do you think is gonna brief the press? | 你还不需要新的发言人 那妳觉得谁能向媒体做简报? |
[00:39] | You. | 就是你 剧名:替代能源 |
[00:48] | Thinking about a Prius? Great car. | 想买普锐斯吗?是辆好车 |
[00:52] | Hybrid. Wave of the future. | 油电混合动力车款,未来的趋势 |
[00:54] | No, the future’s here. | 油电混合动力车款,未来的趋势 不,未来在这里 |
[00:56] | -There’s a waiting list. -Sixty miles a gallon? | 不,未来在这里 很多人排队等著领车 一加仑跑60哩? |
[00:58] | -In the city. Fifty-one, highway. -Isn’t that–? | 很多人排队等著领车 一加仑跑60哩? 在市区,高速公路是51哩 那不是… |
[01:01] | Backwards. Yeah. | 变少了?对 |
[01:02] | Electrical battery recharges every time you hit the brake. | 变少了?对 每次踩油门电池都会重新充电 |
[01:05] | -Perfect for D.C. Car that loves gridlock. -Like Congress. | 适合在特区开,街道越密越好 譬如说在国会 |
[01:09] | -And with gas prices at an all-time high– -They’re not. . . | 油价一直都居高不下… 事实上… |
[01:12] | . . .actually. | 不是那样的 |
[01:14] | The record high was in ’81. | 不是那样的 历史最高价是在81年 |
[01:16] | Adjusted for inflation, gas was 2.80 a gallon in today’s money. | 历史最高价是在81年 用通货膨胀加以换算 一加仑油价相当现在的2点8块 |
[01:21] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[01:22] | In the ’50s, prices were equivalent to what they are now. | 好吧 50年代的油价跟现在一样 |
[01:25] | A little more, even, but per capita real income. . . | 甚至还要高一点 但当时的国民所得 |
[01:29] | . . .was less than half what it is today. | 不到现在的一半 |
[01:31] | Cost your parents twice as much at the pump as what you pay. | 你爸妈付的油钱 等于是现在的两倍 |
[01:36] | Grandparents, in your case. | 对你来说应该是祖父母才对 |
[01:38] | You’re really up on your– | 你真的… |
[01:40] | I work at the White House. | 你真的… 我在白宫工作 |
[01:42] | Great statement for a government official: | 我在白宫工作 对一个政府官员来说 你若能这样说就太棒了 |
[01:44] | “Drive what reduces our dependence on OPEC. “ | 对一个政府官员来说 你若能这样说就太棒了 〝开一辆能让我们减少 对石油输出国家组织依赖的车〞 |
[01:46] | Yeah, it’s foreign-made. The symbolism’s kind of a wash. | 〝开一辆能让我们减少 对石油输出国家组织依赖的车〞 对,它是进口车 象征意义真的不大 |
[01:50] | -Thirty-five hundred over sticker? -Some dealers getting 10,000 over. | 标价三千五百块? 有些经销商开价多出一万 |
[01:54] | So I should just be happy you’re gouging me less? | 我该很高兴你的开价比较低? |
[01:57] | -It’s a popular package. -How many on your waiting list? | 它是一般等级 多少人在等车? |
[02:00] | Seven hundred. | 七百人 |
[02:03] | -How long? -Eight months. | 要等多久? 八个月 |
[02:06] | Wanna take a test drive? | 你要试开一下吗? |
[02:09] | No, I’m just– | 不用,我只是… |
[02:11] | You know. | 不用,我只是… 你知道的 |
[02:15] | Can I drive that? | 我能试开那辆车吗? |
[02:27] | Prius. Congratulations. | 普锐斯,恭喜 |
[02:29] | Thanks. | 普锐斯,恭喜 谢谢 |
[02:30] | -It’s a long wait, huh? -Oh, worth it. | 谢谢 你等了很久吧? 很值得 |
[02:32] | Individuals need to take responsibility. | 你等了很久吧? 很值得 大家都得负起责任 |
[02:35] | The government won’t do anything about improving mileage. | 政府无法改善开车的哩程数 |
[02:38] | It’s so deep in the pockets of the oil and car companies. | 钱都让石油公司 跟汽车公司赚走了 |
[02:41] | -Yeah, Congress is a nightmare. -Oh, Bartlet’s done squat. | 对,国会很糟糕 巴特勒太弱势 |
[02:44] | Mr. Lyman. | 赖曼先生 |
[02:47] | All set. | 都准备好了 |
[02:53] | All right. | 好吧 |
[02:55] | Thank you. | 好吧 谢谢 |
[03:01] | I know I sound like a dork. . . | 我知道我的语气很乡巴佬… |
[03:04] | -. . .but this is way cool. -Yeah, it’s a lot of machine. | 我知道我的语气很乡巴佬… 但这真的是太酷了 对,这辆车马力很强 |
[03:08] | All right, so easy out of the lot. | 好吧,慢慢开出停车场 |
[03:11] | -Not like I’m off-roading in Baja. -Not on the lot. | 我又不是用四轮传动车飙车 在这里不行 |
[03:17] | It’s a lot of machine. | 它的马力很强 |
[03:20] | Yeah? | 哪位? |
[03:22] | Hey, McNaughton at the DCCC needs you. | 哪位? DCCC的麦诺顿找你 |
[03:24] | You should see this thing I’m driving. It’s a monster. | 妳该看看这个 我在开车,它跟野兽差不多 |
[03:27] | -What? -My testosterone is flying. | 什么? 我的男性雄风大增 |
[03:30] | Try not to get any on anyone. | 别撞到人了 |
[03:34] | I’ll put my hands-free thing in. | 我要接上免持听筒设备 |
[03:36] | -What? -Hang on. | 我要接上免持听筒设备 什么? 等一下 |
[03:37] | Look out! | 什么? 等一下 小心 |
[03:43] | Josh? | 乔西 |
[03:45] | Are you all right? | 乔西 你没事吧? |
[03:47] | Tell McNaughton I may be a while. | 告诉麦诺顿我晚点到 主演:施塔科钱宁 主演:杜希尔 主演:艾莉森詹尼 主演:约书亚马尼纳 主演:玛丽马科麦克 主演:珍妮尔摩隆奈 主演:里察薛福 主演:约翰史宾塞 主演:布雷迪威佛德 主演:马丁辛 |
[04:40] | Thank you again. | 谢谢大家 |
[04:46] | -Good morning. -Hey. | 早安 嘿 |
[04:47] | -How was your weekend? -What weekend? | 早安 嘿 周末过的如何? 什么周末? |
[04:49] | You mean that two-day period where briefing material. . . | 周末过的如何? 什么周末? 你是说两天都在家 |
[04:52] | . . .invades your domicile, finally and completely obliterating. . . | 看简报资料 然后完全忘了… |
[04:56] | . . .whatever pathetic distinction you’ve labored mightily to maintain? | 自己到底为什么要这么拼命? |
[04:59] | At least you can do it in your jammies. | 至少妳还能穿著睡衣那么做 |
[05:01] | -You’re picturing that, aren’t you? -A little. | 至少妳还能穿著睡衣那么做 你在想像,对吧? 有一点 |
[05:04] | -And you? -I don’t wear jammies. | 你呢? 我没有穿睡衣 |
[05:05] | -Your weekend. -You know, boring. | 你呢? 我没有穿睡衣 我是说你的周末 妳知道的,无聊 |
[05:08] | You’ve got nothing to report? Nothing adventurous or illicit? | 你没有什么好报告的? 没有冒险或违法的事? |
[05:11] | -Boring. Dull, even. -In your non-jammies? | 无聊、乏味 即使你不穿睡衣? |
[05:14] | -You’re picturing that, aren’t you? -Trying furiously not to. | 妳在想像,对吧? 我试著不去想像 |
[05:17] | You seen Toby? | 看到托比了吗? |
[05:18] | He’s briefing, isn’t he? | 看到托比了吗? 他在做简报,对吧? |
[05:22] | -Okay, then. -Yeah. | 好吧 好 |
[05:24] | I have no information on that at this time. Yeah? | 现在我没有资料,什么? |
[05:28] | The CAFE standards amendment raising fuel-efficiency requirements. . . | 平均燃料节约标准修正案 提高燃料效率的规定 |
[05:31] | . . .comes up for House vote today. | 今天要送交众议院投票 |
[05:33] | Will the president sign the omnibus transportation bill without that provision? | 今天要送交众议院投票 总统会不顾那个修正案 签署范围广泛的运输法案吗? |
[05:37] | I can’t speculate on an amendment on a bill that hasn’t passed. | 我无法推断 还没有通过的修正案或法案 |
[05:41] | Does anybody know where your esteemed confreres might be? | 有人知道你们可敬的同事们 跑到哪里去了吗? |
[05:45] | Is it a press holiday of some kind? | 今天是记者节吗? |
[05:48] | H.L. Mencken’s birthday? | 孟肯的生日? |
[05:50] | Anniversary of the expense account? | 孟肯的生日? 交际费申报到期日? |
[05:54] | Excuse me. | 对不起 |
[05:56] | -Yes? -Get out. | 对不起 什么事? 滚出去 |
[05:57] | -C.J. ! -All of you, you cannot be in here. | 什么事? 滚出去 制片:艾莉亚提 |
[06:00] | -Why couldn’t you–? -A human wave. I was overwhelmed. | 茜洁 你们不能来这里 妳为什么不能… |
[06:03] | -Toby is killing us. -He won’t engage. | 制片:克里斯汀哈姆斯 安德鲁史登 是人海战术,我无法呼吸了 |
[06:05] | We do not do this anymore. You have to leave. | 是人海战术,我无法呼吸了 托比害我们无聊死了 他进不了状况 我们不能再这样了 你们必须离开 |
[06:07] | We get nothing to file. We’re gonna get fired. | 我们不能再这样了 你们必须离开 我们没有报导题材 我们会被开除的 |
[06:10] | That’s not the best argument to make at the moment. | 那不是现在要解决的问题 |
[06:13] | -You gotta help us. -I’ll talk to him. | 妳得帮帮我们 我会跟他谈 |
[06:15] | Now, and I say this with love, get the hell out of my office. | 妳得帮帮我们 我会跟他谈 我要温和的告诉你们 滚出我的办公室 |
[06:18] | -C.J., C.J. -Gotta get him out of there. | 茜洁 快把他换掉 |
[06:21] | Have rules of engagement been finalized. . . | 制片:麦可希斯瑞区 中东和约的内容 |
[06:23] | -. . .for the Mideast? -I’m looking for something to hurl at you. | 中东和约的内容 谈定了吗? 我要找东西丢妳了 编剧:彼得诺瓦 |
[06:28] | Mine-sniffing rats? | 导演:茱莉赫伯特 地雷侦测鼠? 甘比亚超大袋鼠 |
[06:30] | Well, the Gambian giant pouched rat. | 导演:茱莉赫伯特 地雷侦测鼠? 甘比亚超大袋鼠 |
[06:32] | You hit a Prius with an SUV? | 你开运动休旅车撞上普锐斯? |
[06:34] | Connecting my cell phone’s hands-free device. | 你开运动休旅车撞上普锐斯? 当时我要将手机 接上免持听筒装置 |
[06:36] | -The ironies abound. -Yeah, verily. | 人生本来就很讽刺 没错 |
[06:39] | -What happened to training dogs? -Dogs get bored. | 人生本来就很讽刺 没错 训练犬怎么了? 狗觉得无聊 |
[06:41] | Sniffing for land mines? These are some jaded pooches. | 闻味道找地雷无聊? 这些狗真的是累坏了 |
[06:44] | -What kind of SUV? -A humongous one. | 什么样的运动休旅车? 超大型的 |
[06:46] | -Excursion, Expedition, Escalade, what? -One of those. | 什么样的运动休旅车? 超大型的 远足、探险、攀登,是哪一种? 其中一种 |
[06:49] | I just wanted to drive it. Like a Hummer. | 我只是想试开一下 就跟开悍马车一样 |
[06:51] | -Wouldn’t you wanna experience that? -I’ve had the pleasure. | 妳不想体验一下吗? 我体验过了 |
[06:54] | It’s less of a giggle when taking weapons fire. | 比起被枪杀,是逊色多了 |
[06:57] | I don’t know how we get funding for giant mine-sniffing rats. | 我不知道我们该去哪里 为侦测地雷大老鼠找经费 |
[07:00] | Three of them found 20 live mines in a test in Mozambique. | 三只大老鼠在莫三比克的测试中 找到20枚还能引爆的地雷 |
[07:03] | -Was the Prius just totaled? -Pretty much. | 普锐斯全毁吗? 差不多 |
[07:05] | -Isn’t there a big waiting list? -Just got longer. | 不是很多人等著领车吗? 车主得再等一下 |
[07:08] | This is hilarious but not funny. | 这很爆笑,但不有趣 |
[07:10] | I’d say since it’s mostly expensive and embarrassing. . . | 这很爆笑,但不有趣 因为它非常昂贵 也非常丢脸 |
[07:13] | . . .it’s funny but not hilarious. | 所以它很有趣,但不爆笑 |
[07:15] | You ever hear of the Hubbert Peak? | 你听过哈伯特高峰理论吗? |
[07:17] | Does it have to do with gradations of mirth. . . | 你听过哈伯特高峰理论吗? 它跟好笑的程度有关系吗? |
[07:19] | . . .or are we back on rats of an unusual size? | 或是我们还在讨论 超大老鼠的事? |
[07:22] | Hubbert was a geologist who predicted, pretty much on the money. . . | 哈伯特是地质学家 他大胆预测 |
[07:25] | . . .when U.S. oil production would peak, then decline. | 美国石油产量的高峰 之后产量会开始减少 |
[07:28] | Did he win something? Weekend in Shreveport? | 他有得奖吗? 到施里夫港度周末? |
[07:30] | -A year’s supply of Vaseline? -Oil supply’s a bell curve. | 他有得奖吗? 到施里夫港度周末? 一年份的凡士林? 石油供应量呈钟形曲线 |
[07:33] | The worldwide Hubbert Peak may have hit. | 全世界的情况 都吻合了哈伯特高峰理论 |
[07:35] | No one thinks it’s more than 20, 30 years off. | 全世界的情况 都吻合了哈伯特高峰理论 大家都认为 它最多能再撑20、30年 |
[07:37] | Meaning within the lifetime of kids today, oil production will plummet. | 那表示现在的孩子 一定能看到石油产量锐减 |
[07:41] | -I just wanted to drive a Hummer. -That’s half. | 我只是想开悍马 我只说了一半 |
[07:43] | What’s gonna happen when everyone has a car? | 如果大家都开车呢? |
[07:46] | A good time to be in the insurance business. | 保险公司一定赚大钱 |
[07:48] | -Glass houses. -Point taken. | 温室效应 了解 |
[07:50] | Exploding demand meets plummeting supply. | 温室效应 了解 需求暴增 代表供应量会锐减 |
[07:53] | Whether we’ve ever fought one up till now, the next war will be about oil. | 需求暴增 代表供应量会锐减 不论我们之前为何而战 下一场战争一定跟石油有关 |
[07:57] | See you. | 再见 |
[07:59] | If you’re coming in with more to read, I will strangle you. . . | 再见 如果妳再念给我听 我会很高兴的… |
[08:02] | -. . .with my bare hands and enjoy it. -Will’s here. | 赤手空拳勒死妳 威尔来了 |
[08:05] | -I can scrag him too. -I don’t doubt it. | 我也能勒死他 我不怀疑 |
[08:07] | I’m thinking briefing books on tape for in the car, while jogging. | 我想过将简报资料录成录音带 开车跟跑步时都能听 |
[08:11] | -You jog? -Not anymore. | 妳跑步啊? 再也不跑了 |
[08:12] | The president wants the VP to meet the NSC on the nuclear fallout analysis. | 妳跑步啊? 再也不跑了 总统要副总统跟国安局开会 讨论核能落尘分析 |
[08:17] | -Absolutely. The focus is evacuation? -Attribution, post-event forensics. | 没问题,重点是撤离? 分布、灾后病理解剖 |
[08:21] | If terrorists know they can be traced they’ll less likely attempt. | 恐怖分子知道他们会因此被找到 他们一定会不想这么做 |
[08:24] | Terrorists being notably responsive to logic and self-interest. | 恐怖分子对逻辑思考 跟自我利益很敏感 |
[08:28] | Almost sounded important for a minute. | 我觉得那是很重要的特质 |
[08:30] | The House defeated the CAFE standards amendment. | 我觉得那是很重要的特质 众议院否决 平均燃料节约标准修正案 |
[08:32] | -Already? -They limited floor debate to 20 minutes. | 这么快? 他们规定只能辩论20分钟 |
[08:35] | Car companies won’t have to raise miles per gallon from venti to grande. | 汽车公司不必把 每加仑的哩程数从小变大 |
[08:39] | It’s the other way around. | 事实刚好相反 |
[08:41] | -Not unexpected. -Or entirely unwelcome. | 事实刚好相反 我早猜到了 那真的太令人失望了 |
[08:43] | -That’s the spirit. -Dems get credit with enviros. | 我早猜到了 那真的太令人失望了 说的好 环保组织支持灾害应变管理系统 |
[08:46] | But the VP doesn’t have to defend it with voters in Michigan. | 但副总统不必 跟密西根的选民解释了 |
[08:49] | Politics more important than principle. | 政治比原则重要 |
[08:51] | This administration’s had seven years to work on fuel efficiency. | 政治比原则重要 政府七年来一直在推动燃料效率 |
[08:54] | Don’t take it out on me. | 别怪我 |
[08:56] | -With a hostile Congress. -The public singing, “I want my SUV. “ | 别怪我 那是因为国会在作对 民众说〝我要运动休旅车〞 |
[08:59] | -It’s regret, not guilt. -Don’t have votes. Art of the possible. | 那是遗憾,不是罪恶 根本不必投票,那是不可能的 |
[09:03] | -What Leo would say. -I’d spend the week deciding. . . | 里奥会那么说 我会花一星期的时间来想 |
[09:05] | . . .if sounding like a dyspeptic 60-year-old is a compliment. | 听起来像60岁的病老头 是不是一种赞美词 |
[09:09] | -Wanted to see me? -Where are we on a press secretary? | 妳找我? 我们的发言人在哪里? |
[09:12] | -Getting up to speed. -Time for a boost. | 我在加快处理速度了 你得更快一点 |
[09:14] | No one– I don’t mean this unkindly, no one’s anxious to have you briefing. | 我在加快处理速度了 你得更快一点 没有人…我没有恶意 没有人想看你做简报 |
[09:18] | Just curious, but how’d you have put it had you meant it unkindly? | 我只是很好奇 如果妳有恶意,会怎么说? |
[09:25] | You’re hovering. | 你犹豫了 |
[09:27] | He’s hovering. | 你犹豫了 他犹豫了 |
[09:28] | -Verging on looming. -And he’s stalling. | 他犹豫了 有进展了 他在拖延 |
[09:31] | -I’m crafting. -They’re just remarks. | 我在精挑细选 那只是一种说法 |
[09:32] | People listening won’t know they’re just remarks. | 我在精挑细选 那只是一种说法 听的人不知道那只是一种说法 |
[09:35] | To them, it’ll sound uncannily like a speech. | 对他们来说它跟演讲一样无聊 |
[09:38] | -A short speech. -Prompter needed this half an hour ago. | 简短的演说 宣传人员半小时前需要这个 |
[09:41] | -You’re on your own. -I’m the leader of the free world. | 你得靠自己 我是自由世界的领袖 |
[09:43] | People pay attention when I speak. The job’s not all waving from the chopper. | 大家会注意听我说话 我不是光从直升机上挥手就行了 |
[09:47] | Not as good as it might be. It’s your fault. | 它没有想像中好,都是你的错 |
[09:49] | I’m prepared to live with the verdict of history. | 它没有想像中好,都是你的错 我准备接受历史的评断 |
[09:52] | Charlie, one sec. Mr. President, there’s a reception in the East Room today. | 查理,等一下,总统先生 今天在东室有接见会 |
[09:56] | -What? -Girls’ National Field Hockey champions. | 什么? 全国草地曲棍球女子组冠军 |
[10:00] | Sir, you have to be there. | 长官,你非去不可 |
[10:02] | -Charlie. -I’ll get him there. | 查理 我会提醒他的 |
[10:04] | -Thank you. -I’m noticing a slackening of awe. | 查理 我会提醒他的 谢谢 我发现你们根本不尊重我 |
[10:07] | A certain lack of trembling in my presence. | 完全无视于我的存在 |
[10:09] | -Yes, Mr. President. -Yes, sir. | 是的,总统先生 是的,长官 |
[10:12] | -Josh? -What is it? | 乔西 什么事? |
[10:15] | That gossip blog, DistrictScene. | 八卦部落格地区现场报导 |
[10:20] | -How did she get this? -Someone at the dealer, I guess. | 她怎么会知道? 我想是车行的人说出去的 |
[10:23] | It’s not the end of the world. It’s a weblog. | 那不是世界末日 它只是部落格网站 |
[10:26] | It’s not The Washington Post. | 它不是《华盛顿邮报》 |
[10:28] | Josh Lyman’s office. Yeah. | 它不是《华盛顿邮报》 乔西赖曼办公室,对 |
[10:31] | C.J.’s office. Now. | 马上到茜洁的办公室去 |
[10:33] | -You didn’t think it was a story? -It’s obviously a story. | 你不觉得它是一个新闻? 很明显,它是一个新闻 |
[10:36] | -I didn’t think– -Every news organization. . . | 我只是没想到… 所有新闻机构 |
[10:39] | . . .surfs these blogs. This will be everywhere. | 都会浏览这些部落格 很快大家都会知道 |
[10:41] | -For God’s sake, what possessed you? -I don’t know. | 天啊,你是怎么了? 我不知道 |
[10:44] | I saw it and was taken over by my reptilian brain stem. | 我看到它 结果被我的原始本能控制了 |
[10:47] | The press is gonna have a party with this. Conga lines, piñatas. . . . | 媒体一定欣喜若狂 跳康加舞、放鞭炮… |
[10:51] | They’ll have fun and be done in a day. | 他们只会闹上一天 |
[10:53] | Not the week raising CAFE standards goes down. . . | 他们只会闹上一天 但这星期平均燃料节约标准 修正案遭到否决 |
[10:55] | . . .with us barely putting up a fight. | 我们根本溃不成军 |
[10:57] | Alternative Energy Resources Council is threatening a press conference. . . | 我们根本溃不成军 可用能源协会 威胁召开记者会 |
[11:01] | . . .trashing our commitment, citing your demolition derby as exhibit A. | 抨击我们的决心 你的车祸是他们的头号证物 |
[11:05] | -I’ll call. -Do better. | 我会打电话的 想个更好的办法 |
[11:07] | Head the White House Task Force on Alternative Energy. | 我会打电话的 想个更好的办法 你负责白宫替代能源研议小组 |
[11:10] | -What–? -The one I promised, to hold them off. | 什么? 我为了拖延他们做出的承诺 |
[11:12] | I want a meeting that ends with something. | 我要你们开会拿出对策 |
[11:14] | You standing with people in Birkenstocks for press. | 我要你们开会拿出对策 你得穿著勃肯鞋 跟他们一起面对媒体 |
[11:17] | -Birkenstocks. -And bicycle clips. | 勃肯鞋 还有单车裤管夹 |
[11:20] | Yeah. | 是 |
[11:23] | Bicycle clips? | 单车裤管夹? |
[11:25] | For your pants. | 单车裤管夹? 用来夹裤子的 |
[11:28] | You gotta– | 你得… |
[11:29] | -Yeah. -Not counting today. | 你得… 对 今天不算 |
[11:32] | Today was– I don’t know what today was. | 对 今天不算 今天是… 我不知道今天是什么日子 |
[11:34] | -But the briefings? -Yeah. | 简报呢? 对 |
[11:35] | -They’re getting better. -Good. | 简报呢? 对 有进步了 很好 |
[11:37] | On a scale of one to 10, 10 being C.J. . . | 有进步了 很好 从一分到十分 十分代表茜洁 |
[11:39] | . . .one being a chimp throwing feces, where do I rank? | 从一分到十分 十分代表茜洁 一分是会特技的猩猩 我是几分? |
[11:42] | They’re getting better. | 你有进步了 |
[11:44] | I gotta go get my ass kicked. | 你有进步了 我要去被痛宰一顿了 |
[11:46] | Yeah, me too. | 我要去被痛宰一顿了 我也是 |
[11:49] | Congressmen. And woman. | 各位国会议员 |
[11:51] | Does the president believe fuel-efficiency standards should be raised? | 各位国会议员 总统相信燃料效率标准 应该要提高吗? |
[11:54] | -We’re dispensing with the small talk. -Answer the question. | 我们只是随意聊聊 回答问题 |
[11:57] | A shame because I’ve been hoarding anecdotes, mordant observations. | 这真的很可惜,我听说很多秘闻 还有尖锐的观察 |
[12:01] | This administration’s environmental record. . . | 政府的环保纪录… |
[12:03] | . . .is an embarrassment to its party and a betrayal of its supporters. | 对它的政党来说是一大羞耻 也背叛了它的支持者 |
[12:07] | -Mordant enough for you? -Betrayal. Embarrassment. | 对你来说够尖锐了吧? 背叛、羞耻 |
[12:09] | It’s that temperate rhetoric that endears the Green movement to the electorate. | 那只是拉拢环保选民的说法 |
[12:14] | -You rolled over. -We did the arithmetic. | 你们输很惨了 我们做了计算 |
[12:16] | Any increase in CAFE standards wasn’t gonna happen. | 平均燃料节约标准不可能增加 |
[12:19] | -You rolled. -An 8-year-old can count. | 你们输了 连八岁孩子都算得出来 |
[12:21] | -This is supposed to be about leadership. -Leaders avoid losing battles. | 这应该是国家的领导中心 领袖必须避免打输战争 |
[12:25] | -You live to fight another day. -You’re missing the point. | 你得为明天而战 你没听懂重点 |
[12:28] | Nobody thought we were gonna win this. But you’ve made it easy for them. | 没有人认为我们能赢 但你让他们赢的太容易了 |
[12:31] | Seat belts. Air bags. The first fuel-economy standards. | 安全带、安全气囊 第一次燃料节约标准 |
[12:34] | The auto industry had to be dragged kicking and screaming into them. | 汽车工业被逼著那么做 |
[12:38] | They didn’t go out of business. They figured it out. | 他们不可能没生意 他们很清楚的 |
[12:40] | The White House doesn’t lead on fuel mileage. | 白宫无法要求燃料哩程数 |
[12:42] | Opponents get to cast their vote at no cost. | 对手不费力气拿到选票 |
[12:45] | We don’t just lose a vote. | 我们不只失去了一张选票 |
[12:47] | We lose out on a national debate. | 我们不只失去了一张选票 我们在全国性议题上输了 |
[12:49] | Making it that much harder to win the next vote. | 我们在全国性议题上输了 这让我们更难赢得下次投票 |
[12:51] | This isn’t a poli-sci seminar. We didn’t have the votes. | 这不是政治科幻研讨会 我们没有选票 |
[12:55] | Thank you all for your time. | 谢谢大家抽空前来 |
[13:00] | -Well? -And a pleasant good morning to you. | 怎么样? 祝你有个美好的早上 |
[13:03] | You find someone? | 找到人了吗? |
[13:04] | I slept extremely well. Thank you for asking. | 找到人了吗? 我睡的很好,谢谢你的关心 |
[13:06] | Sleep less and get us a new press secretary, will you? | 少睡一点 帮我们找新发言人,好吗? |
[13:09] | Sorry. When you asked me. . . | 抱歉,当你录取我时 |
[13:11] | . . .I didn’t realize you expected to find someone the first hour, my first day. | 抱歉,当你录取我时 我不知道你要我在第一天上班的 第一个小时就找到人 |
[13:15] | Sooner you get someone, sooner I can stop. | 妳越快找到人 我就能越快脱身 |
[13:17] | I told you. Your doing them for a while is good. | 我说过你表现的不错 |
[13:20] | I’m glad someone doesn’t think they’re a total wreck. | 我很高兴有人不觉得 那全然是场灾难 |
[13:22] | Oh, no. They’re horrible. But I can help you. | 不,你的表现很差 但我能帮你 |
[13:25] | Help me by doing the job you were hired for and find us a new press secretary. | 妳能完成妳被雇来做的工作 找到新发言人就是在帮我了 |
[13:31] | Settling in just fine. | 我适应的很好 |
[13:33] | But the muffin basket, the flowers, it’s too much. | 我适应的很好 但松饼早餐跟鲜花 就不必了 |
[13:36] | Donna, get some alternative-energy spokespeople in here for a meeting. | 唐娜,请替代能源倡议者 到这里来开会 |
[13:40] | -You mean–? -Wind, solar, hamsters in wheels. | 你是说… 风力、太阳能、踩水车的仓鼠 |
[13:43] | Whatever’s out there. Today. | 随便什么都行 请在今天找来 |
[13:44] | -You have that– -Cancel it. This takes priority. | 随便什么都行 请在今天找来 你有… 取消它,这是第一优先 |
[13:48] | -Hey, Donna. -Hey. | 唐娜 嘿 |
[13:50] | Is Josh expecting you? | 唐娜 嘿 乔西在等妳吗? |
[13:51] | Actually, I came by to see you. How you doing? | 乔西在等妳吗? 事实上我是来找妳的 妳好吗? |
[13:54] | Good. I’m good. | 我很好 |
[13:55] | How soon before you’re out of that cast? | 我很好 妳什么时候能拆石膏? |
[13:57] | -Soon. I can’t wait. -I bet. | 很快,我等不及了 我相信 |
[14:01] | Look, we don’t know each other that well, but if you ever wanted to talk. . . . | 我们不是很熟 但如果妳需要谈一谈… |
[14:05] | -Thanks. But l– -I’m sure you’ve spoken to somebody. . . | 谢谢,但是我… 我相信妳找人谈过 |
[14:08] | . . .but I just thought if you ever wanted someone– | 我只是觉得如果妳需要谈一谈… |
[14:11] | Another woman, I don’t know. | 跟女人谈,我不知道 |
[14:14] | -Is this completely inappropriate? -No, no. It’s fine. | 这很不礼貌吗? 不,没关系 |
[14:17] | I’ve seen the sort of thing you went through. | 我了解妳的感觉 |
[14:19] | -I appreciate your concern. -Okay. | 谢谢妳的关心 好吧 |
[14:22] | Well, if you ever want to. . . . | 如果妳要… |
[14:25] | I should really get back to– | 我真的该回去… |
[14:27] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[14:36] | -You’re all set for lunch. -You sure he’s up to it? | 午餐都准备好了 妳确定他会来? |
[14:38] | -He said so. -He’s not being polite? | 他是那么说的 他不会只是礼貌上答应吧? |
[14:40] | -I’m sorry. Leo? -He has a courtly side. | 对不起,你说里奥? 他也有礼貌的一面 |
[14:42] | -Not with me. -I don’t wanna overtax him. | 对我从来没有过 我不想加重他的负担 |
[14:45] | He would’ve said. | 如果有,他应该会说 |
[14:46] | A car will pick up the food, then swing by to take you to his hotel at 1. | 如果有,他应该会说 会有人开车去拿食物 一点去接妳到他的饭店 |
[14:50] | -Great. -He asked if you play chess. | 太棒了 他问妳会不会下棋 |
[14:52] | Chess? Not really. | 下棋?我不会 |
[14:54] | I’ll let him know. | 下棋?我不会 我会告诉他 |
[14:55] | There’s a picture? Get this blogger woman on the phone. | 我会告诉他 有照片? 打电话给部落格的版主 |
[14:59] | You didn’t think someone had a camera? | 你不知道有人带了照相机? |
[15:01] | -There wasn’t. -There’s a picture. | 当场我没看到 真的有照片 |
[15:02] | A guy, his wife and teenage daughter. That was it. | 当场我没看到 真的有照片 只有一个家伙带著太太 跟青春期的女儿 |
[15:05] | Daughter have a cell phone? Josh Lyman’s office calling, please. | 他女儿有手机吗? 是乔西赖曼办公室打来的,谢谢 |
[15:08] | -One moment, please. -I wouldn’t do this. | 请稍等 我不会这么做 |
[15:11] | -This is Josh Lyman. This is off-record. -She’s not a journalist. | 我是乔西赖曼,这是私下谈话 她不是记者 |
[15:15] | There may be more disreputable ways to make a living than gossip. . . | 或许有其他更低级的方法 比靠讲八卦 |
[15:19] | . . .and clandestine photos, but none spring to mind. | 跟偷拍还要棒的生活方式 但妳想都没想过 |
[15:21] | My and this administration’s environmental bona fides. . . | 我跟政府的环保死忠者 |
[15:25] | . . .are well-established. | 立场非常清楚 |
[15:26] | To use this incident to imply otherwise is scurrilous and irresponsible. | 立场非常清楚 利用这起意外暗示我们的立场 是低级跟不负责任的行为 |
[15:31] | Cheap and easy irony from what I can only surmise. . . | 我只能讽刺的说 |
[15:33] | . . .is a cheap and shallow person. | 妳一个低级肤浅的人 |
[15:37] | -I said this was off-record. -She’s not a journalist. | 我说过这是私人谈话 她不是记者 |
[15:40] | You’re gonna post this? | 妳要登出这个? |
[15:43] | She’s posting it now. | 她正在登 |
[15:52] | He made the sushi. | 他做了寿司 |
[15:53] | -It’s his hobby. -Nothing against the ambassador. . . | 他做了寿司 那是他的嗜好 我对大使没有恶意 |
[15:56] | . . .but I want my raw fish prepared by a professional. | 但我希望由专家 来准备我的生鱼片 |
[15:59] | Said you’re not to use a lot of wasabi. | 你说你不会用很多芥末 |
[16:01] | Said it’s considered disrespectful to the fish. | 我想那是对鱼不敬 |
[16:04] | Isn’t it pretty much past caring? | 那真的太贴心了吧? |
[16:06] | And there’s such thing as sushi being too fresh. | 那真的太贴心了吧? 寿司有时候也会太新鲜 |
[16:08] | -Not for me. -Need to age the fish. | 我觉得不会 鱼得老一点 |
[16:10] | Do I wanna know why? | 我觉得不会 鱼得老一点 我想知道原因吗? |
[16:11] | So the rigor mortis has time to pass. | 我想知道原因吗? 死鱼味得花点时间才会消失 |
[16:13] | I knew you were gonna ruin it for me. | 我就知道你会破坏我的好事 |
[16:15] | Surprise! | 大惊喜 |
[16:24] | A little bird told me. | 一个小女孩告诉我的 |
[16:27] | -Congratulations. -Thank you, Mr. President. | 恭喜 谢谢总统先生 |
[16:29] | -You know what this means, right? -Yes, sir. | 你知道这代表什么意思吧? 是的 |
[16:32] | Enjoy your party. | 好好享受你的派对 |
[16:33] | I think everyone’s blocked off all of eight minutes. | 好好享受你的派对 我想大家都能休息八分钟 |
[16:38] | -Way to go, Charlie. Congratulations. -Thanks, man. | 做的好,查理,恭喜 谢谢 |
[16:41] | God, how did you do it? | 天啊,你是怎么办到的? |
[16:43] | I don’t even have time to learn my TiVo. | 天啊,你是怎么办到的? 我甚至没空学用 数位录影机 |
[16:45] | When the president asks if you did your homework, it gets done. | 总统问你有没有做功课时 你得乖乖听他的话 |
[16:49] | -I’m glad you told me. -I just hope he is. | 我很高兴妳告诉我 我只希望他很高兴 |
[16:52] | I gotta get back to work. | 我得回去工作了 |
[16:58] | Carol. Cake? | 卡萝,蛋糕? |
[17:00] | Totaled a hybrid with an SUV. He’s like an ecoterrorist in reverse. | 运动休旅车毁了油电混合动力车 他是唱反调的环保恐怖分子 |
[17:04] | -We’ll point that out to the press. -What do you need? | 我们会跟媒体这样说的 你需要什么? |
[17:07] | Draft a release about the alternative-energy summit Josh is holding. | 帮乔西在进行的 替代能源高峰会拟新闻稿 |
[17:10] | -Not gonna work. -I don’t recall asking. | 那是没有用的 我没问妳的意见 |
[17:12] | No meeting’s gonna counteract the symbolism of that accident. | 开会无法扭转 那个车祸给人的印象 |
[17:15] | You need to laugh it off. Refer questions to the Department of Metaphor. | 你得一笑置之 用比喻来提出问题 |
[17:19] | Put out a statement from the undersecretary for Whimsy and Caprice. | 请古怪副部长发表声明 |
[17:25] | Just draft the release. | 去拟新闻稿 |
[17:26] | -Will you be briefing? -I imagine. | 去拟新闻稿 你要做简报吗? 应该吧 |
[17:33] | -What? -How do you get women? | 什么? 你怎么追女人的? |
[17:35] | -Excuse me? -Briefing the press is a seduction. | 什么? 你怎么追女人的? 妳说什么? 跟媒体做简报是一种诱惑 |
[17:37] | -You got a hot ex. How’d you get her? -Get out. | 你前妻很美,你怎么追到她的? 滚开 |
[17:40] | -Know what she says? -God, you called Annie. | 你知道她说什么吗? 天啊,妳打电话给安妮 |
[17:42] | “Smart and funny. ” That’s how guys who don’t look like Jude Law. . . | 〝聪明风趣〞 那是长得不像裘德洛 |
[17:46] | -. . .or Denzel Washington get babes. -You trying to get fired? | 或丹佐华盛顿的男人泡妞高招 妳想被开除吗? |
[17:49] | I’m trying to help you. That Mencken line was funny. | 我是想帮你 孟肯那一句很有趣 |
[17:52] | No one laughed because you flung it at them. | 没有人笑 因为你突然丢出那一句话 |
[17:54] | Briefing the press isn’t a seduction. It’s war. | 跟媒体做简报不是种诱惑 是场战争 |
[17:57] | What C.J. did for seven years wasn’t combat. | 茜洁七年来并不是在打仗 |
[18:01] | It was charm and disarm. | 它得靠魅力解除他们的武装 |
[18:04] | Just draft the release. | 拟新闻稿 |
[18:06] | Smart and funny. Seduce them. | 拟新闻稿 聪明风趣,引诱他们 |
[18:08] | -Worked on your wife. -We’re divorced. | 聪明风趣,引诱他们 你太太吃这套 我们离婚了 |
[18:09] | Living with you is a whole other ball game. I get that already. | 跟你一起生活是另一回事 我很早就已经明白了 |
[18:13] | Charlie. | 查理 |
[18:14] | Thanks, C.J., for whatever part you played in that. | 查理 谢谢妳,茜洁 不论妳在这事情上扮演了什么角色 |
[18:17] | I just showed up and ate corn chips. | 我只负责出现吃玉米片 |
[18:19] | Leo e-mailed me something about reminding the president to play chess. | 我只负责出现吃玉米片 里奥写电子邮件 要我提醒总统下棋 |
[18:22] | He and Leo played weekly chess games. | 他每星期会跟里奥下棋 |
[18:25] | -Okay. -What did Leo say about it? | 好吧 里奥怎么说? |
[18:28] | Just to remind him. | 他要我提醒总统 |
[18:29] | Guess that’s just it, then. | 看来应该没什么 |
[18:31] | Yeah. | 对 |
[18:33] | -C.J. -Mr. Vice President. | 茜洁 副总统先生 |
[18:36] | -How you adjusting to the new job? -It’s an adjustment. | 新工作适应的如何? 还在适应中 |
[18:38] | I gotta admit, I was surprised. We all were. But the more I thought. . . | 我得承认我很讶异 我们都是,但我越想… |
[18:42] | -. . .it started making sense. -Thanks? | 越觉得有道理 我该道谢吗? |
[18:44] | Leo is Leo. No one expects you to be him. You’ll find your way. | 里奥是里奥,没有人期待 妳能跟他一样,妳会找到妳的风格 |
[18:47] | I’m finding it, actually. | 事实上我正在寻找 我是来帮忙的 谢谢 |
[18:49] | -I’m here to help. -I appreciate that, sir. | 我是来帮忙的 谢谢 |
[18:51] | I look forward to working closely with you. | 我期待能跟妳密切合作 |
[18:53] | As do I, Mr. Vice President. | 我也是,副总统先生 我很习惯跟女强人合作 |
[18:55] | I work well with strong women. | 我很习惯跟女强人合作 |
[18:57] | -Good to know. -My mother. . . | 太好了 我妈… |
[18:59] | -. . .a strong woman. -Well, there you go. | 是个女强人 可不是吗 |
[19:02] | If you’ll excuse me. . . . | 失陪了 |
[19:06] | This where I might find the puling poster boy. . . | 帮巴特勒的无聊能源政策 |
[19:08] | . . .for Bartlet’s indifferent energy policy? | 作广告的小子在这里吗? |
[19:11] | Yeah, I was shopping for a Prius. | 对,当时我想买普锐斯 |
[19:12] | -Just performing your own crash test. -A joke the blogger missed. | 你是在做防撞测试 那个部落格主人没提到这个笑话 |
[19:16] | Should shoot her an e-mail. | 你该写电子邮件告诉她 你的消费者经验很奇怪 |
[19:17] | You just had the quintessential consumer experience. | 你的消费者经验很奇怪 |
[19:20] | Your head said hybrid, your heart said SUV. | 你的脑子要油电混合动力车 你的心却要运动休旅车 |
[19:22] | Reptilian brain is what I’ve been going with. | 我一直用 我的脑子还很原始来解释 |
[19:24] | People don’t want them because they get lousy mileage. | 大家不想买它们 因为它们太耗油 |
[19:27] | It’s the argument for mandating higher mileage standards. | 我们是在讨论 提高哩程数标准的事 |
[19:30] | No one’s saying it’s the wrong argument. | 没有人说那是错的 |
[19:34] | You’ve got a pretty tight relationship with Michael Hirsch, yes? | 你跟麦克赫奇的关系很好? |
[19:37] | Well, people in show business are charming for a living. | 演艺圈的人都靠魅力吃饭 |
[19:40] | I’m one of his 4 or 5000 closest buds, yeah. | 我是他一大堆的好兄弟之一 |
[19:43] | -Enough to call? -For the vice president? | 关系好到会通电话? 为了副总统? |
[19:45] | You’re one of few who doesn’t regard him with disdain. | 你是少数不会看不起他的人 |
[19:48] | Or at least has courtesy to hide it. | 或许你只是礼貌性的 收起你的轻视 |
[19:50] | Hollywood support’s all going to Baker. He’s raised enough to greenlight movies. | 好莱坞支持贝克 他募到的钱足以拍电影 |
[19:54] | -Governor Baker hasn’t declared. -But he’s still a front-runner. | 贝克州长还没有宣布要参选 但他已经提前开跑 |
[19:58] | I mean, no offense to your guy. | 我没有冒犯之意 |
[19:59] | It would be great if you’d make a call. | 你最好打通电话 |
[20:02] | -Let me get back to you. -Sure. | 我会回复你 好吧 |
[20:06] | You know, Hirsch has a hybrid. | 赫奇有辆油电混合动力车 |
[20:08] | Typical Hollywood. Drives his Prius right up to his private jet. | 典型好莱坞作风 开著普锐斯去搭私人喷射机 |
[20:12] | I’m about to go into a meeting with the Commerce secretary. | 我要跟商业部长开会 |
[20:15] | A man so soporific. . . | 令人很想打瞌睡的人 |
[20:17] | . . .one shouldn’t operate heavy machinery in his presence. | 有他在谁都不能操作重机械 |
[20:20] | A meeting that would feel interminable at three minutes. . . | 一个到了第三分钟 就让人受不了的会议 |
[20:23] | . . .is certain to stretch into a soul-annihilating 50 minutes. | 一定会变成摧毁你精神的 50分钟会议 |
[20:27] | Presenting a perfect opportunity for you. . . | 这对你来说是个好机会 |
[20:29] | . . .to get started on a particular errand pertaining to your postgraduate career. | 你可以开始为毕业后的工作 做一些准备 |
[20:35] | Fiderer prepared them. I checked for typos. | 费德洛写的稿,我检查过错别字了 |
[20:37] | Thank you, sir. | 谢谢 现在开始工作 丰富你的履历表吧 |
[20:39] | Now let’s get to work and fatten up that résumé. | 现在开始工作 丰富你的履历表吧 |
[20:42] | Yes, Mr. President. | 是的,总统先生 |
[20:51] | Meeting’s set. Representatives from solar, ethanol, hydrogen and wind. | 会议安排好了 太阳能、氢气跟风力的代表会出席 |
[20:54] | -Copy Toby on the roster. -You know when we run out of oil. . . | 拿一分名单给托比 你知道如果石油用完了… |
[20:57] | -. . .it’ll precipitate global food crisis? -Don’t start. | 全球会爆发食物危机吗? 别再说了 |
[21:00] | Fossil fuels are key components of fertilizers and pesticides. . . | 石化燃料是肥料 跟杀虫剂的主要成分 |
[21:03] | . . .not to mention, fuel used in farm machinery and irrigation. | 更别提用在农场机械 跟灌溉的燃料 |
[21:06] | Said the woman with the electric wheelchair. | 这是坐电动轮椅的女人说的话 |
[21:09] | I’ve given it up. You inspired me with your commitment to renewable energy. | 我不坐轮椅了 你对回收能源的看法启发了我 |
[21:13] | You know, the SUV came through without a scratch. | 运动休旅车毫发无伤 |
[21:15] | You’re going to hell. | 你下地狱去吧 茜洁 她是总务室的盖儿艾迪森 |
[21:17] | C.J., this is Gail Addison from the Office of Administration. | 茜洁 她是总务室的盖儿艾迪森 |
[21:20] | -Hello. -She’s here about changing your office. | 妳好 她来改装妳的办公室 |
[21:22] | To a day spa, I hope. | 我希望它变成日间美容中心 |
[21:24] | I don’t know how you approach your space. | 我不知道妳如何设计空间 |
[21:26] | If you have a vision or would like options. | 妳有什么想法或点子 |
[21:28] | -I’d prefer not to think about it. -Then I’m happy to. | 我不想去想它 我很乐意代劳 |
[21:31] | -And have you not either. -I’m sorry? | 妳也不能 妳说什么? |
[21:34] | I’ll have Margaret call you once I’m more settled in. Thanks. | 我适应后会请 玛格丽特打电话给妳,谢谢 |
[21:39] | -Baker’s running, right? -Yeah. | 贝克要参选吧? 对 |
[21:42] | And he’ll have it wrapped up by Super Tuesday. | 他在超级星期二会大获全胜 |
[21:45] | Will asked me to call Mickey Hirsch. | 威尔要我打电话给麦克赫奇 |
[21:48] | He thinks Baker’s not gonna run? | 他以为贝克不会参选? |
[21:49] | Vice president will be virtually unopposed. | 副总统会天下无敌 |
[21:52] | President Russell. | 鲁赛尔主席 你担心他会赢,我担心他会输 共和党政府? |
[21:53] | You worry he’d win. I worry he’d lose. Republican administration? | 你担心他会赢,我担心他会输 共和党政府? |
[21:57] | GOP Congress? They’d dismantle everything. . . | 大老党国会? 他们会瓦解… |
[21:59] | -. . .we’ve accomplished in eight years. -Baker’s gonna run. | 八年来我们努力做到的一切 贝克要参选 |
[22:03] | Hey, how do you get women? | 你怎么追女人的? |
[22:06] | Smart and funny, right? | 聪明跟风趣,对吧? |
[22:08] | Plus I got that, you know, boyish thing. | 此外我还很孩子气 |
[22:12] | -I don’t have that. -Yeah. | 我没有那种特质 对 |
[22:15] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[22:25] | And the IRS is stepping up their look into nonprofits. | 国税局要查非营利组织 |
[22:28] | More charities playing loosely with contributions. | 越来越多慈善团体 没有认真对待捐款的事宜 |
[22:30] | Blessings for the not-so-unfortunate. What else? | 祝福那些不是太不幸的人 还有呢? |
[22:33] | The CAFE standards amendment went down. | 平均燃料节约标准修正案 遭到否决 |
[22:36] | -That was fast. -Floor debate was limited to 20 minutes. | 这么快 他们只能辩论20分钟 |
[22:39] | Those guys take longer to decide what to order for take-out. | 那些家伙花更多时间 决定点什么外送 |
[22:43] | Quick reconciliation, a bill to sign by Wednesday. | 快速和解 星期三要签署一项法案 |
[22:45] | -Yeah. -Oh, and Josh hit a Prius. . . | 对 乔西开著陆地巡洋舰或什么的 |
[22:47] | . . .with a Land Cruiser or something. | 撞到了普锐斯 |
[22:50] | We’re handling it. | 我们正在处理 说完了吗? 是的,谢谢总统先生 |
[22:51] | -We done? -Yes, sir. Thank you, Mr. President. | 说完了吗? 是的,谢谢总统先生 |
[22:55] | Oh, sir, I’m sorry. | 我很抱歉 里奥说要提醒你下棋 |
[22:57] | Leo mentioned to remind you to play chess. | 里奥说要提醒你下棋 |
[23:00] | Please tell Leo when he’s healthy enough to give me a game. | 请告诉里奥他康复后 再来跟我下棋 |
[23:03] | I’ll be glad to school him at chess. | 我很乐意教他下棋 |
[23:06] | Thank you, sir. | 谢谢 |
[23:10] | -Josh. Got a moment? -Sure. | 乔西,有空吗? 当然 |
[23:13] | The president and I had an understanding. | 总统跟我达成共识 |
[23:15] | Actually, it was more of an executive order. . . | 事实上那是命令 |
[23:18] | . . .that once I graduated. . . | 我毕业后 得找分他所谓的 〝真正工作〞 |
[23:20] | . . .I look for what he calls “a real job. “ | 得找分他所谓的 〝真正工作〞 |
[23:23] | So I’m handing out résumés. | 我正在发履历表 |
[23:25] | -Great– -That I’d like you to ignore. | 太棒了 我希望你放一边 |
[23:28] | -Okay. -I don’t wanna leave the president. | 好的 我不想离开总统 |
[23:30] | Especially now that he’s without Leo. | 特别是现在里奥走了 |
[23:32] | -Not that I compare myself to– -I understand. | 我不是说我… 我了解 |
[23:34] | Here. . . | 来吧 |
[23:37] | . . .I’ll put it in a safe place. . . | 我会将它放在安全的地方 |
[23:39] | -. . .in case you change your mind. -Thanks. | 以防你改变心意 谢谢 |
[23:45] | The alternative-energy release. | 替代能源新闻稿 |
[23:48] | So, what else? | 还有呢? 妳的专业意见 是聪明跟风趣? |
[23:49] | Smart and funny, that’s the sum total of your expertise? | 妳的专业意见 是聪明跟风趣? |
[23:52] | You could wear a little makeup. | 你可以化点妆 天啊,拜托 你要我帮忙吗? |
[23:54] | -Oh, jeez. That’ll happen. -You want my help? | 天啊,拜托 你要我帮忙吗? |
[23:57] | Not if it involves makeup, wardrobe or alternative facial-hair strategies. | 只要不涉及化妆、服装 或另类除脸毛法 |
[24:01] | -Body language. -What about it? | 身体语言 怎么样? |
[24:02] | Projecting comfort and command. | 反射出自信跟权威 |
[24:05] | -I don’t do that? -One might say. | 我没有吗? 可以这样说 |
[24:14] | -So, what do l–? -Follow me. | 我该… 跟我来 |
[24:22] | And personally, the way you trim your beard. . . | 我觉得你的胡子… |
[24:25] | . . .a little fussy. | 看起来很邋遢 |
[24:27] | I’ll brief the vice president. How often? | 我要跟副总统 做多少次简报? |
[24:30] | Occasionally. A continent at a sitting. | 偶尔,每一次 讨论一个洲的事情 |
[24:32] | I assume he’s got a handle on North America. | 我想他很了解北美洲的事情 |
[24:34] | There’s the odd confusion, that’s all. | 我们也被搞糊涂了 |
[24:36] | Sudan and Somalia. Iran, Iraq. | 苏丹跟索马利亚 伊朗跟伊拉克 |
[24:39] | -You’re kidding. -One time. | 你在开玩笑 有一次 真的搞错还是说溜嘴? |
[24:41] | Actual confusion or slips of the tongue? | 真的搞错还是说溜嘴? |
[24:43] | We won’t presume for these purposes. | 我们不会擅自推测 |
[24:45] | He knows Pakistan is Muslim, India is Hindu? | 他知道巴基斯坦人信回教 印度人信印度教? |
[24:47] | -Of course. -Just trying to calibrate. | 当然 我只是想确定 |
[24:49] | -I wouldn’t bet the farm on Bangladesh. -Okay. | 我不会拿孟拉加的农场来打赌 好吧 |
[24:51] | He has a little trouble with the whole Shiite-Sunni thing. | 他分不清楚什叶派跟逊尼派 |
[24:54] | -We should start. -That’s what I’m thinking. | 我们该开始了 我也那么想 |
[24:57] | -I’ll come by and bring my flash cards. -Great. | 我要去拿我的学习卡 太棒了 |
[24:59] | -What? -Nothing. | 什么? 没事 妳知道大家为什么 要买油电混合动力车吗? |
[25:01] | You know why people buy hybrids? | 妳知道大家为什么 要买油电混合动力车吗? |
[25:03] | I mean, aside from smugness and moral superiority. | 除了空气污染 跟高道德标准 |
[25:06] | Funny, I was gonna say, “Conscience and civic responsibility. “ | 真有趣,我想说的是 〝良心跟公民责任〞 |
[25:09] | They think gas prices are too high. | 他们觉得油价太高 |
[25:11] | -You know why they buy SUVs? -Because they’re not. | 他们为什么要买运动休旅车? 因为油价不高 |
[25:13] | Record high was in ’81. | 历史上最高油价出现在81年 |
[25:15] | Adjusted for inflation, gas was 2.80 a gallon in today’s money. | 换算通货膨胀 等于现在是一加仑2点8块 |
[25:19] | The only way you’ll get real conservation. | 只有这样才能得到足够的储备 |
[25:21] | Hold an economic gun to their heads. | 拿经济来压他们 |
[25:23] | We should slap a 3-bucks-a-gallon tax on gasoline. | 我们应该一加仑的汽油 课三块的税 |
[25:25] | -A popular position. -Wait till gas lines come back. | 大家会很欢迎 等到油价回升 |
[25:28] | -See how popular that’ll be. -I’m about to solve it. | 看看它有多受欢迎 我要去解决问题 |
[25:31] | An alternative-energy summit. | 替代能源高峰会 妳村子里的孩子会歌颂我 |
[25:32] | Children of your villages will sing my name. | 妳村子里的孩子会歌颂我 |
[25:36] | Morning. Thank you all for coming, particularly on such short notice. | 早安,谢谢你们的大驾光临 特别是在这么赶的时间 |
[25:41] | I’ve been waiting to have this meeting for seven years. | 我等这个会议等了七年 |
[25:44] | Let’s get right to making up for lost time. Let’s go around the table. | 我们快点弥补失去的时间吧 依顺序介绍一下 |
[25:48] | Terry Anders, the Solar Cell Project. | 泰利安德斯,太阳能电池计划 |
[25:50] | Riley Sheets, Ethanol Works. | 莱利席特斯,乙醇效用 现代风,可玲麦琪娜 |
[25:51] | Wind Now, Corrine McKenna. | 现代风,可玲麦琪娜 保罗泰明尼斯基,氢气会议 |
[25:53] | Paul Tyminiski, Hydrogen Caucus. | 保罗泰明尼斯基,氢气会议 我也等了很久 你们的语气跟我妈差不多 |
[25:55] | -I’ve been waiting a while for this too. -You guys sound like my mother. | 我也等了很久 你们的语气跟我妈差不多 |
[25:58] | When I call, all she does is complain how I never call. | 我打电话回家时 她只会抱怨我不打电话 |
[26:01] | I’ll try to keep everybody straight. | 我得跟大家把话说清楚 |
[26:03] | I should’ve made little symbols. A picture of the sun. . . | 我该做一些图形 太阳… |
[26:06] | . . .corn, cloud blowing out its cheeks. . . | 玉米、露出来的白云 |
[26:09] | -. . .and for hydrogen– -The Hindenburg. | 在氢气… 兴登堡号飞艇 |
[26:11] | Hydrogen didn’t cause the Hindenburg fire. It was aluminum powder coating. | 氢气不是兴登堡号飞艇起火的原因 是铝粉涂料害的 |
[26:15] | -Really? -It’s used as rocket fuel. | 真的吗? 它被拿来做火箭燃料 |
[26:17] | -But hydrogen is extremely flammable. -So is gasoline. | 但氢气可燃性很高 汽油也是 |
[26:20] | Flammable? She meant combustible. | 可燃性?她是说爆炸性 |
[26:22] | Hydrogen burns with a colorless flame. The Hindenburg burned red. | 氢气燃烧时火燄没有颜色 兴登堡号飞艇的火燄是红色的 |
[26:26] | -Where’s your humanity? -Okay, then. | 你的人性到哪里去了? 好了 |
[26:32] | This is your room. | 这是你的空间 |
[26:34] | You’re not venturing onto their turf. | 你没有侵略他们的地盘 |
[26:36] | They’re treading onto yours. | 是他们侵略你的地盘 |
[26:38] | -You have to own it. -You didn’t really just say, “Own it. “ | 你必须守住它 不是随便说说就可以 |
[26:41] | I’ll show you what you look like up here. | 我来示范一次 你在台上的样子 |
[26:44] | Thanks. Helpful. | 谢谢,帮助很大 |
[26:46] | -Smart and funny. -Come here. Come here. | 聪明且风趣 过来… |
[26:49] | You try it. | 试试看 |
[26:57] | Good afternoon. | 午安 |
[27:00] | -Good afternoon. -I’ll take your questions. | 午安 我接受提问 |
[27:02] | I’ll take your questions. | 我接受提问 |
[27:04] | Okay, you look like you loathe this, like you can’t wait to get out the door. | 你看起来像很讨厌这工作 巴不得快夺门而出 |
[27:08] | -Wonder why. -You’re literally hunching over. | 天知道为什么 你鸵背 |
[27:11] | You need to lean back. | 你得挺直背脊 |
[27:13] | Not too much. You don’t wanna look hostile and pugnacious. | 别太挺 不然看起来会有敌意又好战 |
[27:15] | -I don’t? -Relax your hands. | 我不是吗? 手放松 |
[27:19] | Look up. Look up. | 抬头… 好了,现在… |
[27:20] | Okay. Now. . . | 好了,现在… |
[27:23] | -. . .how’s that feel? -Like a poodle in a dog show. | 感觉如何? 像参加狗展的小狗 |
[27:25] | Let’s try it again. | 再试一次 |
[27:28] | This time, with more confidence. | 这次带点自信 |
[27:33] | Good afternoon. | 午安 |
[27:35] | I can’t do this. | 我办不到 |
[27:44] | Solar energy is, very simply, the answer. | 太阳能就是一切问题的答案 |
[27:48] | It’s clean, accessible, and we’re not running out any time soon. | 它干净,取得容易 不会很快用光 |
[27:51] | And when we do, we’ll be having bigger problems. | 如果用光了 我们就会有更大的麻烦 |
[27:53] | We could replace all the fossil fuels we’re burning today. . . | 我们可以取代 现在所有的石化燃料 |
[27:56] | . . .simply by covering 220,000 square kilometers with solar cells. | 只要做出22万平方公里大的 太阳能电池 |
[28:00] | -Isn’t that a lot? -A piece of land 300 miles on each side. | 那不会太大了吗? 只要每边各三百哩大的土地 |
[28:03] | Yeah, see, that’s kind of a lot. | 那真的很大 |
[28:05] | This will give you an idea of what we’re talking about. | 这能说明我的概念 (平均每日太阳辐射) |
[28:11] | -That’s huge. -Drive it. | 那真的很大 没问题 |
[28:13] | It’s 300 days of sunshine, and nothing there. | 它有三百天的日照 而那里什么都没有 |
[28:15] | That covers Las Vegas. | 那盖住了拉斯维加斯 没错,那是地球上 浪费最多能源的地方 |
[28:17] | Appropriately. The most wasteful energy abuser on the planet. | 没错,那是地球上 浪费最多能源的地方 |
[28:20] | Your cells look attractive covering the Grand Canyon. | 你的电池盖住大峡谷 看起来很迷人 |
[28:23] | You adjust this, obviously. | 很明显 我们可以作调整 |
[28:26] | Finding square footage in the desert west will not be the problem. | 在西部沙漠里 找到那么大的地不是问题 |
[28:29] | -What will? -Manufacturing that many solar cells. | 问题是什么? 制造那么多太阳能电池的方法 |
[28:32] | -We’d have to pick up the pace some. -Yeah. Since all solar cells ever made. . . | 我们得快一点 对,因为我们已做的太阳能电池 |
[28:36] | . . .would barely cover 10 square kilometers. | 最多只能覆盖10平方公里土地 |
[28:38] | So just 219,990 to go. | 还差二十一万九千九百九十 平方公里 |
[28:44] | I don’t wanna leave the president. And I just don’t think the timing’s right. | 我不想离开总统 我觉得时机不对 |
[28:48] | So if I could leave you my résumé, then have you ignore it. | 我能把履历表留给你吗? 你可以把它放一边 |
[28:52] | Got it. | 了解 |
[29:06] | -C.J. Cregg. -Please. | 茜洁葛瑞 请 |
[29:09] | -Hey, you. -Are you a sight for sore eyes. | 你来了 妳看起来美极了 |
[29:14] | And sore legs, sore chest. | 我是腿酸胸痛 |
[29:16] | -You having a lot of pain? -The Vicodin helps. | 你很痛吗? 止痛药有帮助 |
[29:20] | -What you got? -Take-out from Terrazzo. | 妳带了什么来? 我在塔拉佐餐厅买的外带 |
[29:23] | -The arugula. -With the pecorino and walnuts. | 芝麻菜 用乳酪跟胡桃一起烹调的 |
[29:28] | And the gnocchi. | 义大利贝壳面 |
[29:30] | Supposed to be very “gnice. “ | 应该非常好吃 |
[29:32] | So much trouble. | 太麻烦妳了 希望你值得我这么做 我没有食欲 |
[29:33] | -lf only you were worth it. -I don’t have much appetite. | 希望你值得我这么做 我没有食欲 |
[29:39] | -He needs to eat. -I’ll eat when I’m hungry. | 他需要吃东西 我饿了就会吃 |
[29:42] | Put it in the fridge. | 放到冰箱里 我真的不… 别傻了,快去吧 |
[29:43] | -I’m actually not that– -Don’t be silly. Go ahead. | 我真的不… 别傻了,快去吧 |
[29:46] | I can enjoy it as a spectator sport. | 我喜欢用看的 |
[29:49] | You sure it won’t bother you? | 你确定这不会困扰你? |
[29:52] | It’ll be great. Voyeuristic. | 那真的很棒,像偷窥狂 |
[29:55] | That sounds like the Vicodin talking. | 听起来像是止痛药吃多了 |
[29:57] | It has its compensations. | 这就是代价 |
[30:03] | -So how’s it going? -It’s overwhelming. | 情况如何? 很糟糕 |
[30:06] | The amount there is to tend to. | 那里的事多到做不完 |
[30:08] | I thought I was busy before. | 以前我以为我很忙 |
[30:10] | How in the world did you manage it for seven years? | 你是怎么撑七年的? |
[30:13] | I had a heart attack. | 我心脏病发作 |
[30:15] | You remind the president about playing chess? | 妳有提醒总统下棋吗? |
[30:19] | He pretty much blew me off. | 他把我轰了出去 |
[30:22] | You need to insist. | 妳得坚持 |
[30:24] | I obviously don’t know the president as well as you. . . | 我没有你那么了解总统 |
[30:27] | . . .but already, I can tell when something’s a no-go. | 但我已经知道何时该闭嘴 |
[30:31] | You have to insist. | 妳必须坚持 |
[30:35] | The president gets regular physicals. . . | 总统得固定作体检… |
[30:38] | . . .and because of the MS, rather more regular MRIs and neurophysical tests. | 因为多发性硬化症的关系 他得固定作核磁共振和神经系统检查 |
[30:44] | But MS is a disease of the central nervous system. | 但多发性硬化症 是中枢神经系统疾病 |
[30:47] | It can affect cognition, perception, reasoning, judgment. | 它会影响认知 理解、推理跟判断 |
[30:51] | What the doctors actually term. . . | 也就是医生说的… |
[30:53] | . . . “executive function. “ | 〝执行功能〞 |
[30:57] | As president of the United States. . . | 身为美国总统 |
[30:59] | . . .this needs to be monitored on a weekly basis. | 我们得每星期观察他 |
[31:02] | You need to get the president to play chess. | 妳必须让总统下棋 |
[31:08] | Finish your lunch. | 吃完妳的午餐 |
[31:18] | And so it burns clean. . . | 它燃烧起来很干净 最重要的是美国生产乙醇 |
[31:21] | . . .and most important, ethanol’s made right here in the U.S. of A. | 最重要的是美国生产乙醇 |
[31:25] | And is already subsidized up the ying-yang by the U.S. of A. government. | 美国政府一直都在补助它 |
[31:30] | How much more funding do you want? | 你还需要多少资金? 等一下,有人说它不是那么干净 |
[31:31] | Hang on. Some claim it’s not all that clean. | 等一下,有人说它不是那么干净 |
[31:35] | The EPA has certified it reduces carbon dioxide. . . | 环保署认可 它能降低三成的二氧化碳 跟碳氢化合物排放废气 |
[31:37] | . . .and hydrocarbon tailpipe emissions by up to 30 percent. | 跟碳氢化合物排放废气 |
[31:40] | Releases more nitrogen oxide and makes the entire fuel mixture. . . | 释放更多的一氧化氮,让燃料 |
[31:43] | . . .evaporate easier than pure gasoline, causing more smog. | 比普通汽油更容易蒸发 制造出更多烟雾 |
[31:47] | It’s climate-dependent. Helps in cold weather, hurts in hot. | 那得视气候而定 冬天还好,夏天就不行 |
[31:50] | It consumes more fuel to make than it replaces. | 它需要用的燃料 比它制造的还多 这还有争议 它只能取代10%的汽油 |
[31:52] | -We dispute that. -It only replaces 10 percent of gasoline. | 这还有争议 它只能取代10%的汽油 |
[31:56] | So at best, it’s a stopgap. | 它只能拿来当权宜之计 现在它是可行之道 |
[31:57] | It’s practical now. | 现在它是可行之道 不像某人的想法只是天马行空 |
[32:00] | Not pie in the sky, like some people’s solutions. | 不像某人的想法只是天马行空 老实说,我们都知道最大的好处是 |
[32:02] | Let’s be honest. All of us know what the biggest thing is. . . | 老实说,我们都知道最大的好处是 |
[32:05] | -. . .that ethanol has in its favor. -The Iowa caucuses. | 乙醇现在非常受欢迎 爱荷华议会 |
[32:10] | C.J.? Gail’s back. . . | 茜洁,盖儿又来了 她要很快问妳一个问题 什么? |
[32:11] | -. . .with a quick question. -Yes? | 她要很快问妳一个问题 什么? 我知道妳不考虑重新装修 |
[32:14] | I know you said you weren’t prepared to consider redecoration schemes. . . | 我知道妳不考虑重新装修 |
[32:17] | . . .but I took the liberty of pulling some pictures of our inventory. | 但我自作主张从目录里 挑了一些照片 |
[32:21] | It’s just so dark and masculine in here. | 这里太暗太男性化 |
[32:24] | And martial. Do you feel it? | 充满暴力,妳感觉到了吗? 它很军事化、暴力 又男性化 |
[32:26] | It’s just militaristic and martial and male. | 它很军事化、暴力 又男性化 |
[32:28] | -You said, “A quick question”? -Oh, sorry. | 妳要〝很快的问我问题〞? 抱歉 |
[32:31] | This was Dolley Madison’s desk. | 这是朵丽麦迪逊的桌子 |
[32:34] | Most people think she spelled her name L-L-Y. . . | 很多人以为她的名字是LLY 事实上是LLEY |
[32:36] | . . .but in actuality, it was L-L-E-Y. | 事实上是LLEY 或许我们该… 但它可爱又女性化 |
[32:38] | -Perhaps we should– -But it’s lovely and feminine. | 或许我们该… 但它可爱又女性化 |
[32:41] | Dolley, with an E, Madison was maybe 5’3″ . | 朵丽麦迪逊或许是五尺三吋高 |
[32:44] | Yes. | 对 |
[32:50] | Of course. | 当然 |
[32:54] | Briefing time. | 简报时间 我知道 别说话 |
[32:56] | -I know. -Won’t say a word. | 我知道 别说话 那条领带太逊了 |
[32:59] | But that tie’s gonna bleed. | 那条领带太逊了 留著吧,会有人一样逊的 |
[33:01] | Keep it up, it’ll have company. | 留著吧,会有人一样逊的 别偷偷看他们 |
[33:03] | Don’t look at them with veiled contempt. | 别偷偷看他们 我不会 好吧 |
[33:05] | -I don’t. -Yeah, right. | 我不会 好吧 那不是偷偷摸摸 |
[33:06] | It’s not veiled. | 那不是偷偷摸摸 用魅力解除武装 |
[33:08] | Charm and disarm. | 用魅力解除武装 |
[33:17] | -Good afternoon. | -Good afternoon. 午安 午安 我接受提问 你对政府不太支持 |
[33:19] | -I’ll take questions. -What’s your response to criticism. . . | 我接受提问 你对政府不太支持 |
[33:22] | . . .of the administration’s lukewarm support for higher CAFE standards. . . | 提高平均燃料节约标准的评论 有什么回应? |
[33:25] | . . .as reflected in today’s defeat in the House? | 这从今天在众议院的挫败 就能看出来 今天的投票反应了… |
[33:28] | Well, what today’s vote reflected– | 今天的投票反应了… |
[33:32] | Between anti-regulatory Republicans and auto-state Democrats. . . | 在不知节制的共和党 跟自由精神的民主党间 |
[33:35] | . . .we were outgunned. | 我们的人数不如人 |
[33:39] | As far as our lukewarm support, I’d characterize it as more of a parboil. | 就我们不太支持那方面 我想应该说我们是慢火细熬 |
[33:45] | White House commitment to fuel conservation. . . | 白宫努力推行节约能源政策 |
[33:47] | . . .can be measured by the Alternative Energy Task Force meeting in progress. | 可以从正在进行的 白宫替代能源研议小组会议看出来 |
[33:51] | Isn’t this hastily-convened task force. . . | 这一个临时成立的小组 会想办法扭转… |
[33:54] | . . .just an attempt to counteract the symbolism. . . | 会想办法扭转… |
[33:56] | . . .of a White House senior staffer totaling a hybrid. . . | 白宫资深幕僚 开著最耗油的休旅车 |
[34:00] | . . .while driving one of the most fuel-inefficient passenger vehicles sold? | 撞坏油电混合动力车 所造成的形象受损问题吗? |
[34:04] | Questions as to symbolism. . . | 这些关于象征性的问题 是比喻部门负责的 |
[34:05] | . . .and meanings are the purview of the Department of Metaphor. | 是比喻部门负责的 |
[34:08] | I refer you to the undersecretary for Whimsy and Caprice… | 我建议你请古怪副部长… |
[34:11] | …for further comment. | 发表声明 但替代能源高峰会 不能骗到任何人 |
[34:13] | But really, this alternative-energy summit’s not gonna fool anyone. | 但替代能源高峰会 不能骗到任何人 |
[34:16] | Good. Then maybe we can stop thinking of it. . . | 很好,或许我们不该把它 |
[34:19] | . . .as something to fool people and think of it as a way. . . | 当成骗人的方法 而是把它当成 |
[34:22] | . . .to maybe get something done. | 能将事情做好的方法 节约能源是个重要的问题 |
[34:24] | Fuel conservation is a critical issue. | 节约能源是个重要的问题 |
[34:27] | We were outgunned today in Congress but not outflanked. | 今天我们在国会表决失败 但我们不放弃 |
[34:33] | So, what are the obstacles to using hydrogen as a replacement fuel? | 使用氢气当替代能源 有什么问题呢? |
[34:37] | Distribution. To transport and then dispense it, you’d have to liquefy it. | 销售,要运输和配销 首先你就得液化 |
[34:41] | -Is that an issue? -Just freeze it, then open it. | 那是问题吗? 先冷冻它,再打开它 压力必须非常大 我不了解,那有什么问题? |
[34:44] | -At enormous pressure. -I don’t understand. What’s the problem? | 压力必须非常大 我不了解,那有什么问题? |
[34:48] | -When you do that, it can– -Have the tendency to explode. | 你那么做时可能会… 很容易爆炸 |
[34:52] | Like the Hindenburg. | 跟兴登堡飞艇一样 |
[34:56] | -So you could file it, toss it or– -The president wants you to quit. | 妳可以将它归档或是丢掉… 总统要你离职 |
[34:59] | -I don’t– -You promised. . . | 我不… 你发誓 一毕业就离职 我说过了 |
[35:01] | -. . .once you graduated you would. -It was implied. | 一毕业就离职 我说过了 |
[35:03] | -Yes or no, Charlie? -Yes. | 是吗?查理 是 我想是吧 这是个困难的问题吗 |
[35:05] | -I guess. -It’s a dilemma. | 我想是吧 这是个困难的问题吗 不,妳只要… 我的工作是什么? |
[35:08] | -All you have to do is– -What’s my job? | 不,妳只要… 我的工作是什么? 妳说什么? 我的工作是为总统效忠 |
[35:10] | -Excuse me? -My job. It’s to serve the president. | 妳说什么? 我的工作是为总统效忠 |
[35:13] | It seems to me the president has expressed a clear wish. | 我想总统已经说的很清楚 |
[35:16] | -I don’t– -lf he’d handed me your résumé. . . | 我不… 如果他将你的履历表交给我 你觉得我会不看吗? 或许我该把它收回来 |
[35:18] | -. . .do you imagine I could ignore it? -I should just take this back. | 你觉得我会不看吗? 或许我该把它收回来 |
[35:21] | Yeah, you probably shouldn’t come in here with that. . . | 对,或许你不该把它送过来 |
[35:25] | . . .deputy special assistant to the chief of staff. | 幕僚长的副特别助理 |
[35:29] | -Sorry? -Your new title. | 什么? 你的新头衔 |
[35:32] | Come work for me. | 为我工作 什么? 你聪明 |
[35:34] | -What? -You’re smart. . . | 什么? 你聪明 负责任、了解总统 为什么我不雇用你呢? |
[35:36] | . . .responsible, you know the president. Why wouldn’t I hire you? | 负责任、了解总统 为什么我不雇用你呢? |
[35:39] | The title’s a little gaudy but mostly means you’ll do. . . | 头衔有点绕口 但那表示你必须做 |
[35:42] | . . .whatever’s needed to be done. A catchall, but grown-up. Policy stuff. | 你该做的事 成人版的打杂,处理政策问题 |
[35:46] | -You’re serious. -Be a stone’s throw from the Oval. | 妳是认真的 离椭圆形办公室一步之遥 |
[35:49] | The president can’t miss you if you haven’t really gone. | 如果你没离开 总统不会想念你 |
[35:53] | I don’t know what to say. | 我不知道该说什么 我能考虑一下吗? 不行 |
[35:56] | -Can I think it over? -Not really. | 我能考虑一下吗? 不行 |
[36:01] | -That was– -Absolute misery? | 那是… 太惨了? 什么? 挺直背脊,别太挺 |
[36:03] | -What? -Lean forward, but not too far. . . | 什么? 挺直背脊,别太挺 但也不要向后 我的烂领带… |
[36:05] | . . .but don’t lean back. How my bleeding tie’s distracting. . . | 但也不要向后 我的烂领带… |
[36:08] | . . .from my fuzzy beard. Be smart, be funny, look pleasant. | 真的让他们没注意我的胡子 聪明风趣,看起来很舒服 |
[36:11] | I’ve never been more self-conscious in my life. | 我从来没有这么意识到 自我的存在 |
[36:14] | I don’t wanna be good at this. | 我不想擅长于这种工作 别担心,已经好多了 |
[36:16] | Don’t worry. It was better. | 别担心,已经好多了 但离很棒还有一段路要走 |
[36:18] | Good’s still a ways off. | 但离很棒还有一段路要走 |
[36:21] | You’re welcome. | 不客气 在加州风力涡轮机 制造出来的电力 |
[36:23] | Wind turbines in California produce enough electricity. . . | 在加州风力涡轮机 制造出来的电力 |
[36:26] | . . .to light San Francisco. . . | 能点亮旧金山 让美国省下相当于 一千万桶的石油 |
[36:28] | . . .saving the state the equivalent of well over 10 million barrels of oil. | 让美国省下相当于 一千万桶的石油 |
[36:32] | Wind provides 1.27 percent of California’s electricity? | 风力提供加州 1点27%的电力? |
[36:37] | From 13,000 turbines. | 要用一万三千台涡轮机 为了利用风力发电… |
[36:38] | So in order to get all of its energy from wind. . . | 为了利用风力发电… 加州得建造… 一百万具涡轮机 |
[36:41] | -. . .California would have to build– -Only 1 million more. | 加州得建造… 一百万具涡轮机 |
[36:44] | By the way, they’re an eyesore. | 对了,它们非常丑 没有人要它们 如果没有风呢? |
[36:46] | -No one wants them. -What if wind doesn’t blow? | 没有人要它们 如果没有风呢? 如果没出太阳呢? |
[36:48] | What happens if the sun isn’t shining? | 如果没出太阳呢? 这真的一点忙都帮不上 风很干净 |
[36:50] | -This really isn’t helpful. -Wind is clean. | 这真的一点忙都帮不上 风很干净 竞争力正在增加 |
[36:53] | Increasingly competitive. | 竞争力正在增加 全世界成长最快速的能源科技 |
[36:54] | The fastest-growing energy technology in the world. | 全世界成长最快速的能源科技 |
[36:57] | The Bartlet administration could restore U.S. leadership in wind power. | 巴特勒政府 能恢复美国风力发电的领导权 |
[37:01] | I can see the slogan now. “Breaking Wind Together. “ | 我想出一个好口号 〝一起乘风〞 |
[37:12] | Hey. | 嘿 我只有一分钟的时间 |
[37:14] | Only have a minute. | 我只有一分钟的时间 你要跟我说什么? |
[37:16] | What’d you wanna tell me? | 你要跟我说什么? 我得到一个有趣的建议 |
[37:17] | I got an interesting offer. . . | 我得到一个有趣的建议 妳得负很大的责任 |
[37:19] | . . .that you’re pretty much responsible for. | 妳得负很大的责任 什么? 为了感谢妳 |
[37:22] | -What? -In appreciation. . . | 什么? 为了感谢妳 |
[37:25] | . . .I’d like to tell you about it over dinner. | 我想跟妳边吃晚餐边谈 你要跟我约会? |
[37:27] | Are you asking me on a date? | 你要跟我约会? 是感谢晚餐 那是约会 |
[37:30] | -A thank-you dinner. -Well, that’s a date. | 是感谢晚餐 那是约会 |
[37:33] | So far, it isn’t anything. | 到目前为止没有结论 妳还没有答应 |
[37:35] | You haven’t said that you’ll go. | 妳还没有答应 |
[37:39] | Sure. | 好吧 |
[37:44] | -So? -What? | 所以呢? 什么? 我们要宣布什么? 还不知道 |
[37:46] | -What are we announcing? -Don’t know yet. | 我们要宣布什么? 还不知道 茜洁要发表宣言 告诉她那是不可能的 |
[37:48] | -C.J. wants an announcement. -Tell her that’s not happening. | 茜洁要发表宣言 告诉她那是不可能的 |
[37:51] | -Nice try. -What? | 做的好 什么? 她在生你的气,你去告诉她 她没有生气 |
[37:53] | -She’s pissed at you. You tell her. -She wasn’t pissed. | 她在生你的气,你去告诉她 她没有生气 |
[37:56] | -Nettled, maybe. -Whatever. You’re telling her. | 或许有点不高兴 随便,你去告诉她 没有结论? 风力来自… |
[37:58] | -Nothing came out of it? -Wind power, turns out the churn. . . | 没有结论? 风力来自… |
[38:01] | . . .from turbines changes the weather on the ground. | 涡轮机的转动 它会影响气候或景观 或许就环保观点来看 一点都不理想 |
[38:04] | Probably not ideal from an environmental standpoint. | 或许就环保观点来看 一点都不理想 |
[38:06] | -Three hours of stuff like that. -That you’re telling her. | 我们讨论了三小时 你去告诉她 |
[38:10] | Yeah. | 是 |
[38:25] | I’m not ready. | 我还没有准备好 |
[38:30] | I have spoken to experts, and they told me what to look for. . . | 我跟专家谈过 他们告诉我可以找什么 |
[38:33] | . . .and I don’t have to look very hard. | 而我也不用认真找 我对所有事感到愤怒 无端哭泣,拼命写下原因的清单 |
[38:35] | I do get angry over everything, cry over nothing, right down the list. | 我对所有事感到愤怒 无端哭泣,拼命写下原因的清单 |
[38:39] | Rejecting offers of help, that’s on there too. | 拒绝别人的帮忙 也在清单之上 |
[38:43] | I’m sure talking to you would be helpful. | 我相信跟妳谈一定有帮助 事实上我… |
[38:45] | Actually, I’m– | 事实上我… 我不确定 |
[38:47] | I’m not sure of that. | 我不确定 我对所有事都不确定… |
[38:49] | I’m not sure of much of anything. . . | 我对所有事都不确定… 除了我还没准备好以外 |
[38:51] | . . .except that I’m not ready. | 除了我还没准备好以外 |
[38:54] | I understand. | 我了解 好吧 |
[38:56] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[39:04] | Hey. | 嘿 能源会议开的如何? |
[39:06] | How was your energy meeting? | 能源会议开的如何? 很有达尔文的精神 |
[39:08] | It was pretty Darwinian. | 很有达尔文的精神 他们擅于攻击彼此… |
[39:10] | They’re so great at knocking each other. . . | 他们擅于攻击彼此… 让你想买雪佛龙的股票 |
[39:12] | . . .it makes you wanna buy stock in Chevron. | 让你想买雪佛龙的股票 他们知道我们不可能资助所有人 我不知道除了全世界的石油 |
[39:14] | -They know we can’t fund everything. -I don’t know what we can announce. . . | 他们知道我们不可能资助所有人 我不知道除了全世界的石油 |
[39:18] | . . .other than the world’s out of oil, and in 20 years, we’re gonna starve. | 将在20年内用完,我们会饿死外 我们还有什么可以宣布 |
[39:22] | You know, those that haven’t already been wiped out. . . | 跟中国争夺石油 |
[39:25] | . . .in an energy war with China, because the fuel alternatives. . . | 还没有被打败的国家得小心 因为替代能源 |
[39:28] | -. . .are less ready than you thought. -Yeah. | 根本还没有准备好 对 一切都是为了经济 |
[39:30] | It’s all economics. | 一切都是为了经济 总统先生 长官 |
[39:33] | -Mr. President. -Sir. | 总统先生 长官 为什么沙乌地阿拉伯 要力抗油价上涨? |
[39:34] | Why do the Saudis fight to keep oil prices from rising? | 为什么沙乌地阿拉伯 要力抗油价上涨? |
[39:37] | To discourage conservation. | 为了打击节约政策 以及替代能源的研发 |
[39:39] | And the development of alternative fuels. | 以及替代能源的研发 他们成功了 因为我们让他们那么做 |
[39:41] | And it works because we let them. | 他们成功了 因为我们让他们那么做 经济 我们该怎么办? |
[39:44] | -Economics. -So, what do we do? | 经济 我们该怎么办? |
[39:47] | Veto the omnibus transportation bill. | 否决范围广泛的运输法案 |
[39:50] | -Why? -To demand the higher CAFE standards. | 为什么? 要求提高平均燃料节约标准 |
[39:53] | -Because Josh demolished a hybrid? -Because improving fuel economy. . . | 因为乔西撞坏了油电混合动力车 因为提高燃料效率… |
[39:57] | . . .deserves far more than a 20-minute debate. | 值得花20分钟以上的时间讨论 |
[39:59] | There aren’t the votes to sustain. They’ll just override. | 我们无法延迟投票 只能提出覆议 |
[40:02] | It pushes the subject out there. Jump-starts a national debate. | 那能唤起大家对这个议题的注意 进行全国性辩论 |
[40:06] | Hummer sales had their best month ever this year. . . | 今年悍马车的月销售量突破新高 |
[40:09] | . . .and Prius is expanding its production 50 percent. | 普锐斯的生产量增加百分之五十 |
[40:12] | The market’s doing what markets do. | 市场得交由市场去决定 它会自己分类 虽然混乱而且充满冲突 |
[40:14] | It’s sorting itself out, messily and with contradiction. | 它会自己分类 虽然混乱而且充满冲突 |
[40:17] | Better fuel economy’s an idea that just has to reach its tipping point. | 比较好的能源经济 必须要达到它的引爆点 |
[40:21] | A veto maybe nudges it a little closer. | 重新投票能让它往前迈进一步 还要继续开会 |
[40:23] | And keep having those meetings. | 还要继续开会 等到替代能源变得完美之后 一切就太迟了 |
[40:25] | Wait till the alternatives are perfect, it’s all gonna be too late. | 等到替代能源变得完美之后 一切就太迟了 |
[40:29] | Thank you, Mr. President. | 谢谢总统先生 妳有什么事? 请跟我来 |
[40:31] | -What was it you wanted? -Sir, if you’ll follow me. . . . | 妳有什么事? 请跟我来 |
[40:38] | Mr. President. | 总统先生 这是住房和城市发展部的 罗杰魁斯特 |
[40:40] | Sir, this is Roger Quast from HUD. | 这是住房和城市发展部的 罗杰魁斯特 他曾是史丹佛西洋棋校队成员 今天他来陪你下棋 |
[40:43] | He was on the Stanford chess team. He’s here to play a game with you. | 他曾是史丹佛西洋棋校队成员 今天他来陪你下棋 |
[40:48] | Roger, unfortunately, you’ve been dragged here for nothing. | 罗杰,我很遗憾 让你白跑一趟 |
[40:51] | I’ve cleared your schedule for the hour. | 我已经帮你取消一小时内的约会 我跟里奥谈过 你应该下棋,总统先生 |
[40:53] | I spoke with Leo. You’re going to play chess, Mr. President. | 我跟里奥谈过 你应该下棋,总统先生 |
[40:58] | You heard the lady. | 你听到她说的话了 妳想去哪里? 长官 |
[41:01] | -Where do you think you’re going? -Sir? | 妳想去哪里? 长官 |
[41:04] | -You’re gonna play me. -Sir, I don’t really– | 妳得跟我下棋 长官,我真的… 史丹佛小子会留下来帮妳 坐吧 |
[41:06] | Stanford here is gonna stay and help you. Sit down. | 史丹佛小子会留下来帮妳 坐吧 |
[41:14] | -Chess team, huh? -Yes, sir. | 西洋棋校队? 是的 我在想像啦啦队的样子 |
[41:16] | I’m trying to imagine the cheer. | 我在想像啦啦队的样子 看左,看右 |
[41:18] | Check them to the left To the right | 看左,看右 站起来,坐下 我曾经是西洋棋校队 |
[41:20] | -Stand up, sit down -I was on the chess team. | 站起来,坐下 我曾经是西洋棋校队 |
[41:23] | Right. | 对 |
[41:30] | -I really have no clue. -He’s gonna help you. | 我真的不会 他会教妳 如果你放水,我看得出来的 年轻人 |
[41:32] | And I’ll know if you’re holding back, young man. | 如果你放水,我看得出来的 年轻人 |
[41:35] | You are hereby directed by presidential fiat to try your damnedest. . . | 总统命令你… |
[41:39] | . . .to kick your commander in chief’s ass. | 痛宰你的三军统帅 |
[41:49] | King’s pawn over two spaces. | 国王的兵往前两步 |
[41:55] | Good. | 很好 |