时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:05] | Previously on The West Wing: | |
[00:07] | I’m not running for Congress again. | 我不要再竞选国会议员了 |
[00:09] | – I’m sorry. But it’s just… – I’m not talking about Congress. | 我不要再竞选国会议员了 很抱歉,只是… 我不是在谈国会议员 |
[00:14] | So I think I found my guy. | 我已经找到最佳人选了 |
[00:16] | – That’s good. – Well, we can use you. | 我已经找到最佳人选了 很好 我们可以用妳,没问题 |
[00:18] | Not as an assistant. | 很好 我们可以用妳,没问题 但不是当任何人的助理 |
[00:19] | The filing deadline’s next Thursday. I’m in, if you’re in with me. | 但不是当任何人的助理 下星期四是最后的参选截止日 如果你肯加入的话,我同意参选 |
[00:24] | How’s Donna? | 唐娜应征的结果如何? |
[00:25] | She headed for New Hampshire for a couple of weeks. | 唐娜应征的结果如何? 她得去新罕布夏州 会在那里待几个星期 |
[00:28] | You can’t leave. We’re not done. | 她得去新罕布夏州 会在那里待几个星期 你不能离开 这里还有一堆事处理 |
[00:30] | – Gotta think about the ninth year. – You’re gonna tell the president… | 你不能离开 这里还有一堆事处理 你得考虑到未来的路 你打算告诉总统… |
[00:33] | …you just found a better horse? | 你有更好的出路了? |
[00:38] | …in the southern half of the state, today’s morning mix of sleet… | 剧名:竞选开跑 本州南部今早的雨雪状况 |
[00:42] | …and rain will ease up by afternoon, with temperatures… | 在下午之前会随著气温趋缓 |
[00:45] | – I want this to be a campaign of ideas. – I think you missed a turn. | 我想打一场有理念的选战 你刚刚转错弯了 |
[00:49] | Entitlements are collapsing, our school system’s a joke… | 福利津贴濒临瓦解 学校系统像是个笑话 |
[00:52] | …you could sneak tanks across the Canadian border… | 从加拿大边境就可以走私战车 |
[00:55] | …and these campaigns wind up being… | 而这些选战最后还会变成 |
[00:57] | …about a candidate’s high school transcripts. | 而这些选战最后还会变成 候选人的高中成绩单之争 |
[01:00] | It was a left at Horseshoe Lake. | 候选人的高中成绩单之争 在马蹄湖那里应该要左转 |
[01:02] | – I thought it was a bend. – A left, a bend, you missed it. | 在马蹄湖那里应该要左转 我以为是个小转弯 左转、小弯都一样,你没转 |
[01:05] | If we just took the money that campaigns spent… | 如果把竞选经费都花在… |
[01:07] | …on personality contests and partisan sideshows… | 如果把竞选经费都花在… 人格争辩和党务造势上的话 |
[01:10] | …we could solve this country’s problems and shut down talk radio. | 想必可以解决国家的问题 还能让谈话性节目停播 |
[01:14] | First Amendment issues aside, that… | 先别管宪法大道理 |
[01:16] | See, this looks more like a curve, unless this is just bad cartography. | 先别管宪法大道理 这看起来比较像是大弯 不然就是这张地图太烂 |
[01:19] | I almost wish that we could have a campaign slogan… | 我甚至希望我的竞选标语 |
[01:22] | – …without my name in it. – Yeah, “For President. ” It’s catchy. | 不要有我的名字 〝参选总统〞会很显眼 |
[01:26] | – It would probably cut both ways. – I’m not seeing a curve here anyway. | 或许两边都能省点事 我没看到什么大弯路 |
[01:30] | Why is our headquarters so out of the way? | 为何我们的总部这么偏远? |
[01:32] | It’s New Hampshire. There’s not a lot that’s in the way. | 为何我们的总部这么偏远? 这里是新罕布夏 没有哪里是不偏远的 |
[01:35] | Can I look at that? | 我能看一下吗? |
[01:37] | How about a kickoff speech on education? | 来场有关教育的开场演说如何? |
[01:40] | The problem with education is it’s stuck in the muck. | 教育的问题已经积习难改了 |
[01:43] | – Here, isn’t that the…? – Looks more like a slope than a curve. | 这里是不是… 比较像斜坡,不像大弯 |
[01:47] | You got teachers’ unions blocking any change in hiring structure… | 教师联盟杯葛所有 聘雇结构的更动 |
[01:51] | …you got local school districts ready to burn coloring books… | 如果华府指定了蜡笔的颜色 |
[01:55] | …if Washington dictates what color crayon. | 学校当局就准备 把图画书烧了 |
[01:57] | New Hampshire’s about retail politics, person to person. | 学校当局就准备 把图画书烧了 新罕布夏的政治是打游击战的 个人对个人 |
[02:00] | People here won’t vote for you till you’ve had coffee… | 这里的人不会投票给你 |
[02:03] | – …in their house five times. – I hope they’re serving decaf. | 除非你去他们家喝过五次咖啡 希望他们有低咖啡因的 (麦特山多斯参选总统) |
[02:34] | Guess we’re using my name after all. | 看来还是放了我的名字 |
[02:37] | We got room. | 空间不小 |
[02:41] | – Welcome, Matt. – Hi, Matt. | 欢迎,麦特 你好,麦特 |
[02:44] | Josh, you know Ronna and Ned from my congressional staff. | 欢迎,麦特 你好,麦特 乔西,你认得萝娜和奈德 他们是我的国会助理 |
[02:47] | Yeah, we’ve been talking on the phone. | 是的,我们通过电话 |
[02:49] | – I’ve never picked out a headquarters. – Got a ceiling and everything. | 是的,我们通过电话 我没有挑选过竞选总部 挑的真好,还有天花板 |
[02:52] | – Yeah, if you like that sort of thing. – When our fundraising kicks in… | 原来你喜欢这类东西啊 等募得款项进来以后 |
[02:56] | …we’re gonna need phone lines, desks… | 就得安装电话线和办公桌 |
[02:58] | …maybe some industrial safety helmets… | 就得安装电话线和办公桌 可能还要一些工地用安全帽 |
[03:01] | …but for now, just make sure we meet the fire code. | 可能还要一些工地用安全帽 目前,只要确定达到消防标准 |
[03:03] | You were right. Germany’s at 240, Japan’s at 243. | 没错,德国是240 日本是243 |
[03:07] | -243? – Days in the school year. | 上学的天数 |
[03:09] | And we’re counting because…? | 上学的天数 算这些天数的原因是… |
[03:11] | I was asking Ned to look into lengthening the school year… | 算这些天数的原因是… 我要奈德去查 能否将上学的天数 |
[03:14] | …from 180 days to 240. | 从180天 延长至240天 |
[03:16] | There’s a professor at Boston College that’s done work on this. | 从180天 延长至240天 波士顿学院有位教授 对这议题很有研究 |
[03:19] | I thought we might have him come here and get ideas for an education speech. | 我在考虑请他过来 提供一些教育演说的内容 |
[03:23] | And we will, but let’s not put the cart before the carcass here. | 那没问题 但我们先不要本末倒置 |
[03:27] | This trip is about introducing yourself, honing a narrative. | 这一趟来是要推销你自己 凸显个人特色 |
[03:30] | – That’s it. – I’m here to hone. | 仅此而已 我是来作秀的 |
[03:35] | Didn’t you say this had been a sporting goods store? | 妳不是说这里以前是一家 运动器材店? |
[03:38] | A kind of specialty sporting goods. | 是特殊运动用品器材店 |
[03:41] | Laraby’s Life Savers? “Lose your boat, we’ll help you float”? | 赖瑞比救生艇 〝船沉了,还有我〞? |
[03:44] | – First month’s free. – If press finds out we’re launching… | 第一个月是免费的 如果媒体发现我们的总部 |
[03:47] | – …from the Titanic… – We get cheap flood insurance. | 是设在铁达尼号的话… 这里的水灾保费很低 |
[03:50] | Okay, lose the flotillas. Anyone asks, we’re working on a skylight. | 处理掉这些小船 有人问起,就说我们在装天窗 |
[03:54] | We better get going to our first event. | 我们要赶去第一场活动了 |
[03:56] | – We got a full day ahead of us. – Hang on a minute. | 我们要赶去第一场活动了 今天的行程排的很满 稍等一下 |
[03:59] | You know, they say democracy is how we choose the guy who gets the blame. | 人们认为民主 就是选出背黑锅者的过程 |
[04:04] | Well, I will take the blame, but I will never forget… | 我愿意背黑锅 但我会永远记得 |
[04:07] | …those of you who deserve the credit. | 你们这些功不可没的人 |
[04:10] | Thank you for being with me here at the start of this crazy roller-coaster ride. | 谢谢你们陪我展开这场 疯狂的冒险旅程 |
[04:18] | Okay. Let’s go make us some history. | 好了,咱们来名留千古吧 (利池菲镇垃圾场) |
[04:38] | Oh, this is just a bit too metaphorical for me. | 这个暗示性实在是太强了 |
[04:41] | All the candidates do it. It’s an exercise in humility. | 所有候选人都得如此 这是谦卑的测验 |
[04:45] | I could give a major address on the importance of triple-ply. | 我可以来场大型演说 谈论三合板的重要 |
[04:48] | How about shaking some hands, helping the people with their recycling. | 你可以握握手 帮他们做点资源回收就行了 |
[04:53] | Anything particular I should say? | 我该说些什么? |
[04:55] | Just tell them who you are, what you’re doing. | 我该说些什么? 说说你是谁,你要做什么 |
[05:04] | Morning. Hi, I’m Matt Santos. I’m running for president. | 早,你好,我是麦特山多斯 总统参选人 主演:施塔科钱宁 主演:杜希尔 主演:艾莉森詹尼 主演:约书亚马尼纳 主演:玛丽马科麦克 主演:珍妮尔摩隆奈 主演:里察薛福 主演:约翰史宾塞 主演:布雷迪威佛德 主演:吉米史密兹 主演:马丁辛 |
[05:55] | Morning, ma’am. Matt Santos. I’m running for president. | 早安,女士,我是麦特山多斯 总统参选人 |
[05:58] | May I help you with that? | 能让我帮妳吗? |
[06:05] | Tell me about this education stuff he wants to do. | 说一下他提的那个教育理念 |
[06:08] | Ned’s working on that. | 说一下他提的那个教育理念 那是奈德负责的 |
[06:09] | I’m working on a national service program… | 那是奈德负责的 我负责的是全国服务计划 |
[06:11] | …and ideas for Medicare reform. | 我负责的是全国服务计划 和有关医疗改革的事项 |
[06:13] | He’s thinking about speeches starting tomorrow. | 和有关医疗改革的事项 他想要明天就开始进行演说 |
[06:16] | – We’re not gonna do that. – We’re not? | 明天不会有演说 不会? |
[06:18] | I’m just getting to know this guy. | 明天不会有演说 不会? 我才刚开始认识这个人 |
[06:22] | I don’t wanna come on too strong, so you gotta help me out here. | 我不想显的太强势 妳要帮我这个忙 |
[06:26] | – Okay. You want the memos? – I wanna rein in the policy process. | 好,你需要备忘录吗? 我要主导政见的流程 |
[06:30] | You can’t. | 你不行 |
[06:32] | What part of “campaign manager” do you not understand? | 你不行 妳对〝竞选总干事〞的职责 有什么不了解吗? |
[06:34] | Do you want me to draw you a flow chart? | 需要我画张流程图吗? |
[06:37] | – Where’s Matt on this chart? – Let’s call him the congressman. | 麦修在图中的哪个位置? 我们就叫他议员好了 |
[06:41] | Well, he likes to be called Matt, and he runs his own policy process. | 他喜欢别人叫他麦特 而且他都自理政见流程 |
[06:45] | Matt is a guy who hosts home improvement shows. | 麦特是节目主持人的名字 |
[06:48] | The congressman is a guy who runs for president. | 众议员才是总统参选人 |
[06:50] | You don’t give policy speeches in New Hampshire… | 众议员才是总统参选人 在新罕布夏不能发表政见 |
[06:53] | …the world’s capital of grip and grin… | 在新罕布夏不能发表政见 这里的人很假 |
[06:55] | …before people can pick you out of a lineup. | 这里的人很假 他们根本不在乎你的存在 |
[06:58] | In the House, when we were dragging our feet on a policy he liked… | 当我们在白宫 思索他满意哪项政策时 |
[07:01] | …he would announce it without telling us. | 他会直接对外宣布 完全不知会我们 |
[07:03] | Great. | 他会直接对外宣布 完全不知会我们 好极了 |
[07:06] | I gotta meet with some state legislators. | 好极了 我得见见一些州议员 |
[07:09] | Keep him here till CNN arrives. | 制片:艾莉亚提 美国有线新闻网来之前 让他待在这里 |
[07:10] | I pulled some strings to get us some B-roll. | 美国有线新闻网来之前 让他待在这里 我用了些关系 才能让他在电视曝光 |
[07:14] | And don’t let him change the official language to Flemish while I’m gone. | 制片:克里斯汀哈姆斯 安德鲁史登 我不在的时候 别让他讲法蓝德斯语 |
[07:19] | Let’s go. | 走吧 |
[07:22] | – Morning. – Hey. | 早安 你好 |
[07:24] | Hey, aren’t you that new candidate from Texas? | 早安 你好 你不是那个德州来的 新参选人吗? |
[07:26] | Yes, sir. Matt Santos. Great to meet you. | 你不是那个德州来的 新参选人吗? 没错,我是麦特山多斯 幸会了 |
[07:30] | Do you know Phil Herlihy? Lives right there in Sierra Vista. | 你认识菲尔贺力吗? 他住在席拉维达市 |
[07:33] | Oh, no, that’s Arizona. Sierra Blanca, that’s in Texas. | 不认识,那在亚利桑纳州 席拉布蓝市才在德州 |
[07:37] | Oh, well. | 原来如此 |
[07:39] | He’s a good guy. | 原来如此 他是个好人 |
[07:46] | No, he’s great. He’s got a million ideas, he’s really engaged. | 不,他很棒,他有一大堆理念 他真的非常投入 |
[07:49] | Hoynes is up by eight in the South Carolina poll. | 何尼斯在南加州的民调 上升了八个百分点 |
[07:52] | That’s all name ID. Mile wide and an inch deep. | 那全都是表象 |
[07:55] | – How’s your staff? – I got political folks… | 制片:麦可希斯瑞区 只不过是虚有其表而已 |
[07:58] | …but fundraising’s just starting so we’re using volunteers. | 你的人手如何? 我这里有些学政治的 但募款才刚开始进行 所以现在都是用志工 |
[08:01] | Lot of money in the Latino community. | 编剧:艾莉亚提 |
[08:04] | What would you think about a big education speech? | 拉丁裔社区有大把钞票在等呢 导演:克里斯多福米夏诺 |
[08:06] | – In New Hampshire, on his first trip? – Yeah, it’s an idea we’re kicking around. | 你觉得举办一个 大型教育理念的演说如何? 头一次拜访新罕布夏吗? 对,这两天正在想这件事 |
[08:10] | – Stop kicking. – Yeah. | 别作梦了 知道了 |
[08:13] | Have you and Santos had the conversation yet? | 你跟山多斯谈过了没? |
[08:15] | – Not yet. – Have the conversation. | 你跟山多斯谈过了没? 还没 去找他谈 |
[08:18] | You think this whole campaign’s kind of goofy, don’t you? | 还没 去找他谈 你觉得这场选战很蠢吧? |
[08:21] | Yeah. | 是的 |
[08:22] | I’ll call you later. | 是的 我晚点再打给你 |
[08:25] | Yeah. | 好 (不自由毋宁死,新罕布夏州) |
[08:37] | – This is a dry cleaner’s. – I’m sorry, I… | 这里是干洗店 很抱歉 |
[08:40] | My mom asked me to pick up the dry cleaning on our way. | 我妈要我顺路来拿衣服 (布特勒参议员) |
[08:48] | I’ll be honest, Josh. I was surprised to see you split from Jed Bartlet like this. | 老实说,乔西 我很讶异你竟和杰德分道扬镖 |
[08:52] | It’s no split, senator. | 没有分道扬镖,参议员 |
[08:54] | Jed Bartlet’s not gonna be for his own vice president? | 没有分道扬镖,参议员 杰德不会支持 自己的副总统吗? |
[08:57] | He’s the leader of his party. He’ll remain neutral till there’s a nominee. Is that… | 他是党的领导人 在党提名之前他都保持中立 |
[09:01] | …a Bob Russell letter opener? | 那是巴柏罗素的拆信刀吗? |
[09:03] | VP gave it to me at the lunch caucus. I got the cup holders last month. | 那是巴柏罗素的拆信刀吗? 副总统在午餐会报时给我的 上个月我拿到的是杯座 |
[09:07] | So, what’s your boy Santez have to offer? | 那么,你的小小桑提斯 有什么想法 |
[09:10] | It’s Santos, and Russell may have the letter opener… | 那么,你的小小桑提斯 有什么想法 是山多斯 罗素也许有钱做拆信刀 |
[09:14] | – …but what’s in the envelope? – Might be some tie clips. | 信封里装的是什么? 可能是些领带夹 |
[09:17] | You looking for the next Bartlet, I’m telling you, it’s Santos. | 想要找巴特勒的接班人 我告诉你,一定是山多斯 |
[09:20] | Top in his class at Annapolis, coalition-building mayor… | 他毕业时全班第一 市长任内推动政党合作 |
[09:23] | …he’s written more legislation than Russell’s read. | 他写过的法学书籍 比罗素读过的还多 |
[09:26] | I left the White House to run this. | 我都离开白宫来替他竞选了 |
[09:28] | – You give him credibility. – Then meet with him. | 我都离开白宫来替他竞选了 你真的对他赞誉有加 跟他见个面 |
[09:30] | Pull some folks together for a coffee. | 你真的对他赞誉有加 跟他见个面 召集一些人喝杯咖啡 |
[09:32] | John Hoynes gave a grand to my campaign. | 召集一些人喝杯咖啡 约翰何尼斯 捐了一千元帮我参选 |
[09:35] | Russell gave 1500, Clarkson, 2. | 约翰何尼斯 捐了一千元帮我参选 罗素捐了一千五 克拉森捐了两千 |
[09:38] | Our fundraising’s just getting going. Don’t make this about money. | 我们正要开始募款 别把这个和金钱扯为一谈 |
[09:40] | Money equals viability. | 金钱就等于可能性 |
[09:42] | And from what I can tell, your boy has neither. | 金钱就等于可能性 就我看来 你的人选两样都没有 |
[09:48] | – How’s it going? – He’s been inside for a while. | 进行的如何? 他进去一阵子了 |
[09:50] | Good. The Jardins are top-tier activists in Nashua. | 进行的如何? 他进去一阵子了 很好,贾丁夫妇 是这里最活跃的人士 |
[09:53] | You got a message at headquarters from Will Bailey. | 总部有你的留言 是威尔贝利留的 |
[09:56] | – He’s Bob Russell’s… – Yeah, I’ve heard of him. Thanks. | 总部有你的留言 是威尔贝利留的 他是巴柏罗素的… 我听过他,谢了 |
[09:59] | – Wants to meet you. – He’s in New Hampshire? | 他想见你 他在新罕布夏? |
[10:01] | Advancing Russell’s trip. How were the meetings? | 他想见你 他在新罕布夏? 他在帮罗素辅选 刚刚的会面如何? |
[10:04] | Met with three state legislators. | 他在帮罗素辅选 刚刚的会面如何? 我见了三位州议员 |
[10:05] | They wanna know why I’m running Santos against Bartlet’s vice president. | 我见了三位州议员 他们想知道我为何不帮巴特勒的 副总统,却来帮山多斯辅选 |
[10:09] | Free country, isn’t it? | 这是自由的国家,不是吗? |
[10:10] | Not if everyone thinks the president’s in Cowboy Bob’s saddlebag. | 这是自由的国家,不是吗? 当大家都觉得巴柏才是总统人选时 就不自由了 |
[10:14] | The president’s son-in-law, Doug Westin, has a tough race in the first district. | 总统的女婿,道格威司丁 在第一选区拼的很辛苦 |
[10:18] | Yeah, the environmentalists think he’s too pro-snowmobile. | 对,环保人士觉得 他过于拥护雪车厂商 |
[10:21] | It’s like a bad Grizzly Adams spinoff. | 全是环保影集的影响在作祟 |
[10:24] | You must know him pretty well. Maybe if he endorsed Matt. | 你一定很了解他 也许他会支持麦特 |
[10:29] | Put a call into his office. | 替我联络他的办公室 |
[10:32] | See if Lizzie Bartlet has a minute to sit down. | 替我联络他的办公室 问丽兹巴特勒有没有空聊聊 |
[10:34] | – Gonna talk to the New York Times guy? – New York Times guy? | 问丽兹巴特勒有没有空聊聊 要和《纽约时报》的人谈吗? 《纽约时报》? |
[10:41] | Yeah, just tell him to fax me when he gets in. Okay, gotta go. | 叫他到了之后传真给我 我得挂了 |
[10:45] | Didn’t expect the paper of record on our first trip. | 没想到刚出马就会有大报社来 |
[10:47] | All the news that fits. | 有好新闻就会有记者 |
[10:49] | – You covering Russell? – I’m covering this. | 有好新闻就会有记者 你来采访罗素? 我来采访你们 |
[10:52] | Morgan from The Post too. | 《纽约邮报》的摩根也来了 |
[10:53] | – Really? – Really. | 《纽约邮报》的摩根也来了 真的吗? 真的 |
[10:55] | For once, you’re writing the real story. | 真的吗? 真的 你们总算要做真的新闻了 |
[10:58] | – How’s it going? – Great. | 你们总算要做真的新闻了 情况如何? 好极了 |
[10:59] | He was practically autographing deposit bottles at the Litchfield town dump. | 情况如何? 好极了 他正在利池菲镇垃圾场 替空瓶空罐签名 |
[11:03] | Those ought to be worth at least a nickel. | 那至少能赚点小钱 |
[11:06] | – Wanna sit with the congressman? – Maybe later. | 那至少能赚点小钱 要和议员坐下聊聊吗? 可能待会吧 |
[11:08] | – How long is the New Hampshire swing? – A couple days. | 要和议员坐下聊聊吗? 可能待会吧 新罕布夏的行程有多久? 几天吧 |
[11:11] | Well, I’m hearing some things out of Houston. | 我从休士顿那里听到一些事 |
[11:13] | – May wanna shorten your trip. – What things? | 我从休士顿那里听到一些事 或许你想缩短行程 什么事? |
[11:15] | Well, he’s your candidate. I’m sure it’s nothing you don’t already know. | 或许你想缩短行程 什么事? 他是你的候选人 我想你应该已经知道了吧 |
[11:21] | Especially given what’s happening around the world today… | 尤其是这世界的现况 |
[11:24] | …but, yes, I think it would make a huge difference. | 不过,我认为这会有巨幅改善 |
[11:27] | Jamie, Janice, this is Josh Lyman, my campaign manager. | 杰米、珍妮丝 他是乔西赖曼,我的竞选总干事 |
[11:31] | Three more terms in Congress, and my brow wouldn’t be as furrowed as his. | 就算多当三届议员 我的眉头也不会像他一样深锁 |
[11:35] | We know Josh. We ran this precinct for Bartlet both times. | 我们认识乔西 他曾在这里替巴特勒辅选两次 |
[11:39] | – Mr. Jardin, Mrs. Jardin. – We’re talking about education. | 贾丁先生、贾丁太太 我们正在谈教育 |
[11:42] | Did you know the congressman was first in his family to go to college… | 你们知不知道议员是他家里 第一个上大学的小孩 |
[11:46] | …top of his class at Annapolis, and can do more chin-ups… | 在安纳波里以第一名毕业 而且拉单杠的次数 |
[11:49] | …than the entire council on foreign relations? | 可以赢过整个外交委员会 |
[11:52] | I don’t know many people who’d be excited by a longer school year. | 我觉得没有太多人 会喜欢增加上学的天数 |
[11:56] | – I’ll be honest. Neither do I. – We’re talking about a longer… | 说实话,我也不喜欢 现在是在讨论增加… |
[11:59] | I’m not trying to excite, I’m telling them what we need. | 我不是提供人们喜欢的 而是提供人们需要的 |
[12:02] | America is 49th in the world in literacy. | 美国的识字率 全世界排名49 |
[12:04] | That’s down 18 spots in the last 50 years. Why? | 50年来下滑了18名 为什么? |
[12:08] | For starters, the 180-day school year, that’s based on the agrarian calendar. | 刚开始,一年上课180天 是按照农作时程排定的 |
[12:12] | So the kids can tend crops in the summer. | 好让孩子夏天可以务农 |
[12:14] | Right. But we’re in a global economy now. | 好让孩子夏天可以务农 没错 但现在经济已经全球化 |
[12:16] | Japan’s at 243 days, Germany’s at 240. | 没错 但现在经济已经全球化 日本人上学243天 德国人240天 |
[12:19] | Which is why we want a study. One of those big, thick reports… | 所以我们才要深入研究 你数个月来… |
[12:23] | …you spend months just studying. | 研究的重大议题之一 |
[12:25] | I got a pretty good education in 180 days. | 研究的重大议题之一 我一年上学180天 就受到很好的教育 |
[12:28] | What’s it have to do with what happens in my son’s class? | 这个和我小孩的学业 会有什么牵连? |
[12:31] | You know, not enough. Which is why we need to end teacher tenure… | 这样还不够 还得要取消终身教职 |
[12:34] | – …and get rid of failing teachers. – Our cousin, Phyllis, is a schoolteacher. | 把不好的教师淘汰掉 我们的表亲菲丽丝就是教师 |
[12:38] | I bet she’s a good one. Which is why she would keep her job. | 我相信她是个好老师 这样她就能保住饭碗 |
[12:41] | I need the congressman for one moment. | 借一下众议员说句话 |
[12:44] | – Scheduling problem. – Absolutely. | 借一下众议员说句话 行程问题 没问题 |
[12:45] | – Of course. – I keep telling him to call me Matt. | 行程问题 没问题 当然 我一直要他叫我麦特 |
[12:48] | Excuse me. | 失陪了 |
[12:55] | I’m road-testing ideas for the speech. | 我在测试演说内容 |
[12:58] | These are top-tier activists. You just fired their cousin Phyllis. | 他们是最活跃的人事 而你刚刚开除了他们的表亲 |
[13:01] | Next week, we’ll be training Phyllis in computer programming. | 我们下周会安排 让菲丽丝上电脑课 |
[13:05] | You should introduce yourself, talk about yourself. | 你应该介绍你自己 多谈谈你自己 |
[13:07] | They asked for my views on education. | 是他们问我对于教育的想法 |
[13:11] | – Well, they didn’t like what they heard. – You’re right. | 你所讲的他们不喜欢 你说的对 |
[13:13] | So let’s not make Jamie Jardin our secretary of education, okay? | 那就别让杰米贾丁 担任我们的教育部长吧? |
[13:17] | Un-furrow your brow, Josh. I’ve run for office six times. | 别一直皱眉头,乔西 我竞选公职六次了 |
[13:20] | In Texas. New Hampshire has an education funding crisis. | 都是在德州,但新罕布夏 有教育经费的危机 |
[13:24] | They have no income tax. They can’t pay for 60 more days of school. | 他们不课所得税 负担不起额外六十天的课程 |
[13:27] | We need to nationalize the system. | 那就应该把这系统 贯彻到全国 |
[13:29] | That’s a half-trillion-dollar joke you just made. | 那就应该把这系统 贯彻到全国 你开的玩笑要花五千亿 |
[13:31] | India and China are all investing in education like crazy. | 你开的玩笑要花五千亿 印度和中国 都像发了狂似的在投资教育 |
[13:35] | – You wanna leave it up to Nashua? – These are all great ideas. | 你要让这里落后下去? 这些理念都很好 |
[13:38] | You said this issue is stuck in the muck. This is how we un-muck it. | 你自己说这里积习难改 这就是改善的方法 |
[13:42] | The Jardins don’t wanna be un-mucked. | 贾丁一家人不想被改善 |
[13:46] | They want to know you, and once they like you… | 他们想了解你 只要他们喜欢上你… |
[13:49] | We can move onto the swimsuit competition. | 他们想了解你 只要他们喜欢上你… 那我们能办一场泳装比赛 |
[13:53] | Can we talk to the professors? Get a study, wait till we can afford… | 我们可以找学者谈吗? 先参考一下,等我们有钱 |
[13:57] | – …some research on this? – How long would that take? | 再进行研究 那要花多久时间? |
[14:00] | We’ve exhausted the donors in your district. | 我们在你的本区已经没有经费了 |
[14:03] | One idea is a big fundraising drive in the Latino community. | 我提议到拉丁裔社区 进行大型募款活动 |
[14:06] | I don’t feel comfortable with that right now. | 我现在对这主意 感到不太自在 |
[14:10] | It’s a huge donor base you alone can tap. | 那是你能独力获取 大笔资助的地方 |
[14:13] | Josh, I don’t wanna just be the brown candidate. | 乔西,我不想成为 靠拉丁裔当选的候选人 |
[14:15] | – I wanna be the American candidate. – How do you wanna go broke? | 乔西,我不想成为 靠拉丁裔当选的候选人 我要当一个美国竞选人 你想要哪种破产头衔? |
[14:19] | As the brown candidate, or as the American candidate? | 拉丁裔破产人士 还是美国破产人士? |
[14:21] | I looked at the daily spending reports. We don’t need to spend $4000 on signs. | 我看过每日开销明细 根本不用花四千元做标语 |
[14:26] | – You’re reviewing spending reports? – Let’s go back in with the Jardins. | 你在看每日开销? 先进屋里去找贾丁夫妇 |
[14:31] | – Congressman… – Call me Matt. | 众议员 叫我麦特 |
[14:32] | These are all parts of a larger conversation. | 众议员 叫我麦特 这些都是广大议题的一小部分 |
[14:35] | The Times is already digging around. | 报社已经在到处挖消息了 |
[14:37] | – Maybe other campaigns too. – No. | 报社已经在到处挖消息了 也许竞争对手也是 不 |
[14:39] | – We need to get proactive. – No opposition research. | 也许竞争对手也是 不 我们得先下手为强 别做敌方调查 |
[14:41] | I know how to make this work, but you have to let me. | 我知道门路 但要得到你的同意 |
[14:45] | – I don’t want you two to catch cold. – Oh, scheduling problem’s solved. | 我不希望两位著凉 行程问题已经解决了 |
[14:50] | Let’s get back to that blackboard. | 我们进去继续聊 (巴柏罗素) |
[15:11] | Folks love taking pictures with those. | 大家都喜欢跟这些东西照相 |
[15:13] | – Almost like the real thing. – Almost. | 大家都喜欢跟这些东西照相 几乎跟真的一样 几乎 |
[15:15] | They talk a little less. | 几乎跟真的一样 几乎 只是话少一点 |
[15:17] | Don’t say that too loud. His wife is gonna want one. | 只是话少一点 别说太大声 他太太也会想要一个 |
[15:20] | – May I help you? – I’m Josh Lyman. | 我能效劳吗? 我是乔西赖曼 |
[15:22] | – I’m here to see Will Bailey. – He’s expecting you. Follow me. | 我能效劳吗? 我是乔西赖曼 我约了要见威尔贝利 他正在等你,这边请 |
[15:26] | The vice president’s not missing the JJ Dinner either. | 副总统也不会错过晚宴 |
[15:28] | If he has to break a tie on the ag bill… | 如果他想松绑那条法案的话 |
[15:31] | …he’ll do a quick round trip on Air Force Two. Yeah. | 如果他想松绑那条法案的话 就得搭空军二号多跑一趟 |
[15:35] | – How’s the Santos juggernaut? – Great. Just opened our NH offices. | 大老板山多斯如何? 好极了,这里的总部刚启用 |
[15:39] | I understand if there’s a tidal wave, you can paddle to safety. | 我知道大浪一来 你自然会找地方安身 |
[15:42] | – Our money’s going into the field. – Mind if a deputy sits in? | 我们的钱都丢进马桶里了 介意我叫助理进来吗? |
[15:46] | – It’s your meeting. – Would you step in here, please? | 反正是你的地盘 麻烦妳进来一下 |
[15:49] | – Why’d you wanna see me? – I’ve got that list of free media events… | 为什么你想见我? 我拿到了新罕布夏 |
[15:52] | …for New Hampshire broken up by media market… | 免费媒体曝光机会 依照媒体做了区分 |
[15:55] | …though some of the targets spill over the border to… | 免费媒体曝光机会 依照媒体做了区分 但其中有一些 不在州界内 |
[15:58] | …Vermont. | 在佛蒙特 |
[16:00] | – Hi. | – Hi. 在佛蒙特 妳好 你好 |
[16:02] | Why do people cling to this antiquated notion of states? | 妳好 你好 为什么人们喜欢每一州 都有个古老标语? |
[16:05] | For the purposes of campaigning… | 选举的时候最好利用 |
[16:07] | …we live in the United Media Markets of America. | 选举的时候最好利用 美国境内发达的媒体吧 |
[16:10] | – Yeah. – I’m not gonna waste your time. | 是的 我不想浪费你的时间 |
[16:12] | I’m sure you have boats to sink. We’re all friends, we’re all good Democrats. | 是的 我不想浪费你的时间 我知道你身负重任 我们是好友,都是民主党员 |
[16:16] | No one wants a bloodied nominee. You don’t wanna attack… | 没有人想要好战的提名人 你也不想损及总统的名声 |
[16:19] | …the president’s record, also known as your record. | 他的名声就是你的名声 |
[16:22] | Also known as the VP’s record. | 也就是副总统的名声 |
[16:24] | He did clap at some bill signings, didn’t he? | 也就是副总统的名声 他真的赞成那些法案吗? |
[16:26] | Live on national television. Yes, he did. | 全国电视现场直播,是的 |
[16:29] | I’m proposing a clean campaign. No attacks. A preemptive truce. | 我想要一场干净的选战 不打口水战,先发者制人 |
[16:33] | I love what you’ve done with the place. | 我喜欢你这里的摆设 |
[16:35] | It’s the Mao Zedong school of decorating. | 我喜欢你这里的摆设 毛泽东式的室内装璜 |
[16:37] | If you’re not willing to rule out attacks on the Bartlet-Russell administration… | 毛泽东式的室内装璜 如果你不愿意撤销 对巴特勒和罗素任期的攻击… |
[16:41] | I’ll take it to the congressman. He decides what we rule in or out. | 我会转告众议员 他才能决定撤销与否 |
[16:45] | – Good. – Great. | 好 很好 |
[16:52] | Can we not make this a thing? | 别这么尴尬好吗? |
[16:55] | It’s not a thing. | 一点也不会 |
[17:00] | Okay, so who’s next? | 好,下一位是谁? |
[17:02] | I’m setting up dinner with the Jardins, coffee with Keefe. Push a buyout. | 好,下一位是谁? 与贾丁夫妇晚餐 和基福喝咖啡,你得尽全力 |
[17:06] | I understand this is retail politics, Josh… | 我知道这是场游击选战,乔西 |
[17:08] | …but how much time do we spend trying to get votes one by one? | 我知道这是场游击选战,乔西 但我们有多少时间 一个一个争取选票? |
[17:11] | As much time as it takes to get some. | 有多少时间 就争取多少选票 |
[17:14] | Well, what about giving some bigger speeches too? | 有多少时间 就争取多少选票 举办大型演说如何? |
[17:17] | – Talking to people, a thousand at a time. – A thousand sounds better than one. | 一次对上千人说话 一千人听起来比一个好 |
[17:21] | We’ll get to the speeches. These are top-flight activists. | 会有演说的 这些人是最有力的人士 |
[17:23] | They’ll devote every hour, get dozens of their friends to do the same. | 他们会投入每分每秒 呼朋引伴造成风潮 |
[17:28] | Matt. | 麦特 |
[17:29] | I’m just wondering if Jefferson and Madison spent time… | 麦特 我只是在想 几位前总统会不会花时间 |
[17:32] | – …having coffee in Litchfield. – Liz Bartlet’s here to see Josh. | 跑到利池菲镇约人喝咖啡 丽兹巴特勒想见乔西 |
[17:38] | – We still have to have that conversation. – Hello? | 我跟你还没谈完 你好 |
[17:42] | Thanks for coming here. We could’ve done this at the house. | 谢谢妳跑这一趟 我们大可在议会解决的 |
[17:45] | This is for an event we’re doing on aquamarine, well, more maritime… | 我们正在替蓝海宝石办活动 还有海事活动… |
[17:49] | Lose your boat, they’ll help you float. | 〝船沉了,还有我〞 |
[17:52] | Yeah. | 没错 |
[17:55] | Your husband’s got a tough challenge with Bledsoe on his left. | 没错 你丈夫有布雷索在抹黑 日子应该不好过 |
[17:59] | Doug’s been supporting the snowmobiling clubs for years… | 道格支持这些雪车厂商 已经很多年了 |
[18:02] | …but to say he’s anti-environment…. We’re giving an environmental speech. | 但硬要说他反对环保的话… 我们下周会有一场环保演说 |
[18:06] | We can win back the Greens. | 可以赢回环保选票的 |
[18:07] | You still mad at me for having concerns about Doug’s campaign? | 可以赢回环保选票的 你还在气我插手道格的选战? |
[18:10] | – Not at all. – I’m glad. | 一点也不 那就好 |
[18:12] | I’m mad at you for sharing those concerns with the DCCC… | 一点也不 那就好 我气你把这些事情 告诉党内的选委会 |
[18:15] | …and the White House Office of Political Affairs. | 还有白宫里的政务局 |
[18:18] | And if you think you’re getting Doug’s endorsement for Matthew Santos… | 如果你以为 道格会支持麦修山多斯… |
[18:21] | We don’t want his endorsement. | 我们不需要他的背书 |
[18:23] | – You don’t? – No. | 我们不需要他的背书 不需要? 不要 |
[18:25] | – No? – No. | 不需要? 不要 不要? 不要 |
[18:27] | You’ve been involved in New Hampshire primaries. | 不要? 不要 你们一直都参与 新罕布夏的初选 |
[18:30] | You know why they matter. Because anyone has a shot here. | 你知道重要性如何 因为每个人都有机会 |
[18:33] | Because the voters decide. | 因为选民才能作主 |
[18:34] | You only care because you wanna win it. | 因为选民才能作主 你关心初选 只是因为你想选赢 |
[18:37] | You’re right. Maybe that’s crazy because Russell’s got the money, the support. | 没错,也许这很疯狂 因为罗素得到经费和大力支持 |
[18:41] | But I don’t think he should have it locked up before it starts. | 但我觉得他不该在开始前 就把一切垄断 |
[18:44] | And the only reason he does is everyone assumes that your dad is for him. | 他这样做的唯一原因是 大家都认为你父亲支持他 |
[18:48] | – My dad’s gonna stay neutral. – If Doug did a photo op with Santos… | 我父亲会保持中立 若道格能和山多斯合照 |
[18:51] | …no endorsement, just one Kodak moment… | 不需要背书 只要简单拍张照片 |
[18:54] | …it would be a wink to your dad’s supporters… | 不需要背书 只要简单拍张照片 那会让你父亲的支持者认为 |
[18:56] | …that this primary is wide open… | 那会让你父亲的支持者认为 这场初选公正客观 |
[18:58] | …that the establishment hacks have to earn it. Isn’t that how it should be? | 这场初选公正客观 所有人员都得各凭本事 选战不就应该如此吗? |
[19:02] | Isn’t that how your dad got the nomination eight years ago? | 你父亲八年前 不正是这样获得提名的吗? |
[19:07] | I wouldn’t be doing this for you. | 我不是为了你 才这样做的 |
[19:13] | The Fickle Pickle Diner in an hour and a half. | 一个小时半之后 在费可皮可餐厅见 |
[19:24] | – Hey. | – Hey. 妳好 你好 |
[19:26] | He’s shaking hands out front while we wait for Doug Westin. | 妳好 你好 他在跟别人握手 我们在等道格威斯丁 |
[19:29] | The press corps seems to be growing. | 见报率似乎会增加了 |
[19:31] | – They’re covering Doug Westin. – Right. | 见报率似乎会增加了 他们还在报导道格威斯丁 没错 |
[19:34] | We gotta put out a statement when we get back to headquarters. | 回总部之后得发表一分声明 |
[19:37] | – On what? – Dwarf-tossing. | 关于什么? 掷矮人游戏 |
[19:39] | – Dwarf-tossing? – I told the town selectmen we would. | 关于什么? 掷矮人游戏 掷矮人游戏? 我跟市政委员说过会发表 |
[19:41] | There’s some bar over on Route 3, they put dwarves in harnesses… | 三号公路上有一家酒吧 他们替矮人戴上马具 |
[19:45] | …and toss them into hoops. He’s trying to ban it. | 再掷到篮圈里头 委员想要制止他们 |
[19:47] | We’ll spend more ink on dwarf-tossing than on Medicare. | 我们花在掷矮人上的墨水 会比医疗改革还要多 |
[19:50] | Ask a dwarf in a harness which matters more. | 去问戴马具的矮人 什么比较重要 |
[19:53] | – Hey, Greg. – Hey, Josh. | 你好,格雷 你好,乔西 |
[19:55] | I wanna make a deal on this Houston thing. | 你好,格雷 你好,乔西 我想用点好处 跟你交换休士顿的风声 |
[19:58] | It’s a bit late for that. Everyone’s got it. | 我想用点好处 跟你交换休士顿的风声 你迟了一步 大家都知道了 |
[20:00] | Guess you guys are 0 for 2 this afternoon. | 看来你们今天下午是0比2 |
[20:04] | -0 for 2? – This UNH professor… Stoller? Strober? | 0比2? 新大教授,叫史什么来著的 |
[20:09] | What about him? | 他怎么了? |
[20:10] | He leaked the details of your education plan to the AP wire. | 他怎么了? 他向美联社 透露了你们的教育计划 |
[20:15] | If you reconsider your support for the vice president… | 请重新考虑 你们对副总统的支持 |
[20:18] | …remember this conversation. Have a great day, folks. Thank you. | 请记得这段谈话 祝各位今天好运,谢谢 |
[20:23] | – Why did we put out an education plan? – We didn’t. | 我们怎么会提出教育计划? 我们没有提出 |
[20:27] | – This UNH guy, Strobelight…. – Strobner. | 新大教授,史托柏… 史托柏纳 |
[20:30] | He leaked it to the AP. You can’t be spreading this stuff around. | 他把消息透露给美联社 你不能到处散布这个消息 |
[20:35] | I faxed a few ideas to a couple of people. | 我只是把一些想法 传真给一些人看 |
[20:37] | This shouldn’t be on paper. | 我只是把一些想法 传真给一些人看 这个不应该见报的 |
[20:39] | We talked about getting input for my speech. | 这个不应该见报的 我们谈过要替我的演说 制造一些诱因 |
[20:41] | Look, we’re not… | 我们谈过要替我的演说 制造一些诱因 听著,我们不能… |
[20:43] | We can’t do a speech. It hasn’t been scored, hasn’t been tested. | 听著,我们不能… 我们不能发表演说 还没经过评鉴、检验 |
[20:47] | You mean, killed by a bunch of consultants. | 你是指还没有经过 一堆顾问的窜改? |
[20:52] | Someone is shopping an 8-year-old quote out of Houston. | 有人找出了八年前 你在休士顿的旧说词 |
[20:56] | You said the New Hampshire primary shouldn’t come first… | 你说新罕布夏不该先举办初选 |
[20:58] | …because, quote, “The state’s as diverse as a Mayflower reunion. “ | 因为〝该州的种族 就如同五月花号一般〞 |
[21:03] | – That’s a funny line. – Yeah. | 那句是玩笑话 是啊 |
[21:04] | We got a state full of Mayflower descendants laughing. | 那句是玩笑话 是啊 这整州的五月花号乘客后代 都笑掉大牙了 |
[21:07] | – I don’t remember saying it. – Can I deny it? | 我不记得有这样说过 我能否认吗? |
[21:09] | Yeah, it sounds like me, though. | 我不记得有这样说过 我能否认吗? 可以,但那口气的确像我 |
[21:12] | – How fast can you take it back? – It’s true, isn’t it? | 你能多快收回这句话? 这是事实,不是吗? |
[21:15] | People here feel this primary is their birthright. | 这里的人觉得初选 是他们与生俱来的权利 |
[21:21] | I… I think I gotta stand by that. | 我…我想我只能妥协了 |
[21:25] | Okay. | 很好 |
[21:28] | Take the photo. | 去照张相 |
[21:30] | Don’t take any questions. We’ll figure it out later. Go. | 去照张相 别回答问题 我们待会再想办法,去吧 |
[21:37] | Hi. | 你好 |
[21:39] | – Congressman, how are you? – Pleasure to meet you. | 你好 众议员,你好吗? 真是幸会 |
[21:41] | I’m an admirer of your family. I appreciate your doing this. | 我很景仰妳的家族 很感激妳这么做 |
[21:44] | I can’t say I agree with your assessment of our primary. | 我无法认同 你对我们初选的说词 |
[21:47] | – Excuse me? – Your quote. | 你说什么? 你的说词 |
[21:49] | You think the state’s diverse? | 你说什么? 你的说词 你认为本州有种族分歧吗? |
[21:51] | No one writes it, but New Hampshire is 30 percent Franco-American. | 你认为本州有种族分歧吗? 没人这么写,但新罕布夏 有30%是法裔美国人 |
[21:55] | It’s funny that no one writes it. | 真是有趣,没人写这个 |
[21:58] | Josh, how’s it feel to be out of Washington, nice? | 真是有趣,没人写这个 乔西,离开华府的感觉好吗? |
[22:00] | Yeah. | 很好 |
[22:06] | Hi. Doug Westin. I’m running for Congress. | 你好,我是道格威斯丁 国会议员参选人 |
[22:08] | That’s nice. | 你好,我是道格威斯丁 国会议员参选人 真好 |
[22:10] | Bledsoe says you’d shut down the parks if the snowmobilers wanted it. | 真好 布雷索说如果雪车厂商要求 你就会关闭公园 |
[22:14] | I care deeply about our parks. | 我十分关心我们的公园 |
[22:15] | Enough to restrict snowmobiles as your opponent’s challenged? | 我十分关心我们的公园 会关心到因为对手挑衅 而去限制雪车厂商吗? |
[22:19] | We have a lot to say about parks. | 众关于公园我们有很多意见 |
[22:20] | Congressman, you’ve had tough words about this state’s primary. | 众关于公园我们有很多意见 议员,你先前对本州初选 有些犀利的言词 |
[22:24] | – We’re here to meet the voters. – But you don’t value our votes, do you? | 我们是来会见选民的 但你不在意这些选票吧? |
[22:30] | I value everyone’s vote. | 我重视每一张选票 |
[22:32] | Why don’t you apologize for what you said about this primary. | 我重视每一张选票 何不替自己之前 对本州初选的言词道个歉 |
[22:35] | Why don’t you acknowledge our role… | 你为何不承认我们的角色 |
[22:37] | …as the presidential wine tasters of America? | 你为何不承认我们的角色 就是美国总统的品酒师? |
[22:40] | I could never support a candidate who doesn’t. | 就是美国总统的品酒师? 不这样想的候选人 我没办法支持他 |
[22:43] | Well, you know, I’m not much of a wine drinker… | 你知道吗? 我这个人不太喝酒 |
[22:46] | …and I’m sorry if I won’t have your support. | 如果你不支持我的话 我很遗憾 |
[22:49] | Hi. I’m Matt Santos. I’m running for president. | 你好,我是麦特山多斯 总统候选人 |
[22:55] | …every substitute teacher in Peoria deciding our long-term competitiveness… | 所有皮欧立亚的代课老师 都决定著我们的长期竞争力… |
[22:59] | …unless we wanna completely Balkanize the education system. | 除非我们想让整个教育系统 四分五裂 |
[23:02] | From Maine to Michigan to Montana, a high school diploma… | 从缅因州到密西根州 和蒙大拿州 |
[23:07] | …has to mean something, the same thing… | 高中的学历总得要有点价值 要具有相同的效力 |
[23:10] | …or we’re walking away from our biggest responsibility. | 否则就是在背离我们的职责 |
[23:13] | The congressman and I need to talk about the schedule. | 我得和众议员讨论一下行程 |
[23:18] | We gotta get a little better code language than that. | 我们得想个好一点的暗号 |
[23:21] | See you. | 晚安 |
[23:24] | I gotta call my kids before they go to bed. | 晚安 我得在孩子上床前打电话给他们 |
[23:26] | Yeah, this won’t take long. | 我得在孩子上床前打电话给他们 好,不会花太久时间 |
[23:49] | I know this isn’t what you thought it would be. | 我知道这跟你原先所想的不同 |
[23:52] | Yeah. | 是的 |
[23:55] | I understood that running for president had to do with public policy. | 是的 我知道竞选总统 得要提出公共政策 |
[23:59] | Every first-time candidate makes mistakes. | 所有首次参选者都会犯错 |
[24:02] | The good ones fix them, don’t make the same ones twice. | 所有首次参选者都会犯错 好的参选者能修正错误 不会再有二犯 |
[24:04] | Well, we’re stuck with this one. | 我的这个积习比较难改 |
[24:07] | I gotta give that speech at Hawk’s house tomorrow night. | 我的这个积习比较难改 明天晚上 我要在霍克家发表演说 |
[24:10] | Shelve the education plan. | 教育计划必须搁置 |
[24:11] | You have to swallow the Mayflower quote. | 教育计划必须搁置 你必须收回五月花号的说词 |
[24:17] | You want me to introduce myself to the electorate as a flip-flopper? | 你要我在选民面前 说自己是个反复无常的人? |
[24:22] | As opposed to a piece of political toast? Yes, I do. | 跟一个政治牺牲品相比吗? 对,没错 |
[24:27] | Do you think this state represents the country? | 你认为这个州代表了全国吗? |
[24:29] | I think it’s 30 percent Franco-American. | 因为这里有30%的 法裔美国人 |
[24:33] | I think it decides our future. | 能决定我们的未来 |
[24:35] | If I wanted coffee klatches and recycled cans, I would run for Congress again. | 能决定我们的未来 如果我要的是茶会和资源回收 我大可以再选一次众议员 |
[24:40] | – We need to sell you then the big issues. – Meaning not in New Hampshire. | 必须先推销你,再推销理念 意思是指不能在新罕布夏说教 |
[24:44] | Meaning once people get to know who you are. | 意思是指要等人们先认识你之后 |
[24:46] | Let me finish doing what I’m doing. | 先让我做完我要做的事情 |
[24:48] | – We’re having… – Call me Matt. | 先让我做完我要做的事情 众议员,我们要… 叫我麦特 |
[24:50] | I don’t wanna call you Matt! You think this is any other campaign? | 众议员,我们要… 叫我麦特 我不想叫你麦特 你以为这跟其他选举一样吗? |
[24:54] | You think you’ve been scrutinized and poked and prodded… | 你以为这样是被侵犯 就像只得奖的公猪一样 |
[24:57] | …like a prize-winning pig? You haven’t. | 被仔细检视、被生吞活剥? 这就是了 |
[24:59] | You just walked into a great, big x-ray machine. | 被仔细检视、被生吞活剥? 这就是了 你进入了一具 大型扫描机里 |
[25:02] | Everything shows up. | 一切都会原形毕露 |
[25:04] | People with 30 years in public life get blown out of these things in two weeks. | 一切都会原形毕露 纵有30年公职经历的人 也会在两周内被这些事击垮 |
[25:08] | This is an 8-year-old quote. I’ve given thousands… | 那是一句八年前说的话 我曾经发表过上千个… |
[25:11] | Which is why we have to go over everything. | 所以我们得重新检视一切 |
[25:14] | What you’ve said, what you’ve done… | 你说过什么、做过什么 |
[25:16] | …who your enemies are, were you late on your taxes… | 你说过什么、做过什么 你的敌人是谁 有没有延期报过税 |
[25:19] | …whether you’ve had problems in your marriage. | 婚姻有没有出过状况 |
[25:21] | – If I did, it’s between me and my wife. – Nothing is disqualifying if I know it now. | 就算有,也是我和内人的事 你现在就说,全都不成问题 |
[25:26] | If I had known about that quote, we would’ve skipped New Hampshire. | 若我知道你说过那句话 我们就不会来新罕布夏了 |
[25:30] | Tell me if you agree with it. | 告诉我,你同意我说的吗? |
[25:32] | Whoever fed it to the press has more. That’s our priority right now. | 告诉我,你同意我说的吗? 透露给媒体的人一定还有把柄 那是我们的当务之急 |
[25:35] | – Whose campaign is this? – I don’t know. | 这是谁的选战? 我不知道 |
[25:37] | Who flew down to Houston and talked you into it? | 这是谁的选战? 我不知道 谁飞到休士顿去说服你的? |
[25:41] | Instead of tinkering with pie-in-the-sky education programs… | 别一味作著教育计划的美梦 |
[25:44] | …you better figure out why you’re running and if you are sure… | 你最好想清楚为何要参选 也要确定你是否… |
[25:50] | …that you are really up to this. | 真的做好准备了 |
[25:53] | The education plan is why I’m running. | 教育计划就是我参选的原因 |
[25:58] | I’m gonna go call my kids instead of standing here and being treated like one. | 我要去打电话给孩子 不想在这里被当个孩子 |
[26:11] | – Thanks for flying up on short notice. – Of course. | 谢谢你马上飞来一趟 不客气 |
[26:15] | – We can’t afford any polling just yet. – I know. | 我们还没准备好作民调 我知道 |
[26:19] | I don’t suppose you’ve seen any with Santos in the mix. | 我想你应该没看到 对山多斯有利的民调 |
[26:23] | Two private polls. He’s within the margin of error. | 有两个私人民调 他已经在危险边缘了 |
[26:27] | Of who? | 危险? |
[26:29] | Of having any support at all. | 危险? 失去所有人的支持 |
[26:33] | – Quite a press day you’re having. – Yeah. | 你压力不小 对 |
[26:36] | The union leader says he’d create an income tax to pay for his education plan. | 工会领袖说必须增收所得税 来支付他的教育计划 |
[26:41] | The Monitor’s saying he should take the Mayflower back to Houston. | 报纸写说他应该带著五月花 回到休士顿老家 |
[26:44] | Worst of all, none of it made the front page. | 最糟的是 没一条新闻上头版 |
[26:49] | When he reads the papers, he’ll be more pliable. | 他读过报纸后 身段会变软的 |
[26:52] | I don’t want him to be pliable. I… I want him to…. | 我不要他身段变软 我…我只要他… |
[26:55] | – Agree with you in the first place? – I know how to run these. | 先同意你的看法? 这是我的本领 |
[26:58] | If he’d just let me. | 他只需要顺著我 |
[27:01] | – It’s your job, Josh, but it’s his life. – And this guy is nothing but potential. | 对你这是工作,对他却是生命 这家伙有的是潜力 |
[27:06] | Why else would Brock and Morgan be covering our trip? | 否则那些报社记者 何必一直如影随形? |
[27:09] | But it’s like he doesn’t get this. | 但他似乎就是不懂 |
[27:12] | He doesn’t get what this is. | 他搞不懂整个情况 |
[27:14] | Give him time. | 他搞不懂整个情况 给他一点时间 |
[27:16] | He’s a long way from Houston. | 给他一点时间 这里跟休士顿不一样 |
[27:21] | The first of the opposition research you wanted. | 你要的第一笔敌方调查资料 |
[27:24] | – Everyone does it now. – Yeah. | 大家现在都这么做了 对 |
[27:30] | You can pay me in installments. | 你可以分期付款 |
[27:32] | – Small ones. – Thank you. | 你可以分期付款 小额分期 谢谢 |
[27:35] | Josh… | 乔西 |
[27:38] | …you should have done this weeks ago. | 你老早就该这么做了 (白山养老会馆) |
[27:46] | I can’t believe this. | 我真不敢相信 |
[27:49] | – We don’t get any points for substance? – It’s right there. Next to penmanship. | 我们言不及义? 就写在上面,专栏旁边 |
[27:54] | – What about teachers’ unions? – They ignored it. | 那教师联盟呢? 他们根本没理那个 |
[27:57] | They didn’t wanna make it a national story. | 他们不想让那登上全国版新闻 |
[27:59] | I added this event yesterday so you could take back the Mayflower crack. | 我昨天加了这个行程 让你收回五月花的烂话 |
[28:03] | It’s a senior center. It’s a large and a captive audience. | 这是安养中心 里头的群众又多又听话 |
[28:06] | We’re gonna pay a visit to the state’s oldest voter. | 我们要拜访 全州最年长的选民 |
[28:09] | – Dell Tollerson. – He’s, like, 197. | 戴尔托勒森 他应该有197岁了 |
[28:11] | Granddaddy of the primaries since it was Old Hampshire. | 戴尔托勒森 他应该有197岁了 〝旧〞罕布夏时期活到现在的 州内初选元老 |
[28:14] | Take back what you said, he forgives you, crisis over. | 收回那句话 他原谅你,危机就解除 |
[28:23] | Oh, there he is. | 他来了 |
[28:36] | – Hi. – Morning. | 你好 早安 |
[28:37] | Shouldn’t there be a crowd? Don’t tell me they’re out playing jai alai. | 你好 早安 不是应该有一群人吗? 别说他们去打回力球了 |
[28:42] | One of our residents died. Everyone’s at the funeral. | 有个住户过世 大家都去参加葬礼了 |
[28:45] | I suppose Dell Tollerson’s there too. | 戴尔托勒森也去了 |
[28:48] | Oh, I’d say so. He’s in the coffin. | 他是去了,他在骨灰坛里 |
[28:52] | Thanks. | 谢谢 |
[28:58] | I don’t think I should defuse this with a joke. | 我想我不该把这件事 当成玩笑看待 |
[29:03] | Matt Santos. | 麦特山多斯 |
[29:06] | – Good staff work. – We’re a scrappy insurgency, okay? | 你真是尽忠职守 我们只是虾兵蟹将 |
[29:09] | We’re taking our licks early. | 只是早点出来逛逛 |
[29:11] | That’s a lot of licks for a non-factor. | 只是早点出来逛逛 无名小卒有很多地方可以去 |
[29:13] | If Santos was a non-factor, I doubt you and the Post… | 无名小卒有很多地方可以去 如果山多斯是无名小卒 我想你和《邮报》的人 |
[29:16] | …would be sipping strained beets at the Nashua senior center. | 也不会跑来养老院 喝甜菜汁解渴 |
[29:21] | – You’re serious. – What? | 你是认真的? 怎么了? |
[29:24] | We’re not writing about Santos. We’re writing about you. | 我们不是要写山多斯 我们是要写你 |
[29:27] | Why you’re running this quixotic campaign, splitting up the field. | 为何要帮这个阿斗辅选 为何要自立门户 |
[29:31] | – We’re running to win. – By thumbing your nose at the primary? | 因为我们想选上 就凭他践踏初选的态度? |
[29:34] | Proposing the expansion of education in a state that can’t afford notebooks? | 凭他在个穷困的地方 主张延长上学的天数? |
[29:38] | We’re talking about big issues. | 这些都是重大议题 |
[29:39] | You’re siphoning off votes to help Hoynes. | 这些都是重大议题 我觉得你在帮倒忙 根本是在替何尼斯助选 |
[29:42] | Why else would Russell’s folks be worried about you? | 否则罗素那群人 对你还有什么好担心的? |
[29:48] | I want guns off the list. I want choice off the list. | 把枪枝从清单上拿掉 选择权也要拿掉 |
[29:50] | Eastern Pennsylvania’s overwhelmingly anti-gun and pro-choice. | 宾州东部的人都一面倒 反对枪枝和支持选举权 |
[29:54] | The people who aren’t vote on those issues alone. | 那些都是不会来投票的人 |
[29:56] | Take them off the list. | 把这两项删掉 |
[29:59] | I’ll give you a hand. | 我来帮你 |
[30:02] | Know what’s hard about a presidential? Delegating to people you barely know. | 知道总统辅选的难处了吗? 替你几乎不认识的人喉舌 |
[30:06] | You fed that quote to Brock. You’re trying to force me out. | 你把那笔旧帐透露给报社 你这是在逼我退出 |
[30:09] | – Last I checked, you’re not in the race. – You talked to Brock. | 就我所知,你没加入战局 你跟布洛克谈过 |
[30:12] | He said you were worried about us. | 他说你在担心我们 |
[30:14] | You turn down Russell, you recruit a nobody to run against us. | 他说你在担心我们 你不帮罗素的忙 还帮一个无名小卒跟我们竞争 |
[30:17] | It doesn’t make any sense. | 因为这不合理我才担心 |
[30:19] | – So you dig up damaging quotes? – I didn’t have to. | 因为这不合理我才担心 所以你就翻旧帐中伤他? 我根本就不必 |
[30:22] | It was Texas Republicans trying to kill him off so he can’t run for treasurer. | 是德州的共和党想让他落马 让他无法参选财务长 |
[30:26] | If Santos isn’t serious, why’d you trot Donna out to guilt me? | 如果不是因为山多斯 何必叫唐娜出来让我内疚? |
[30:29] | I’m not guilting anybody. You should be guilting yourself. | 我没有让任何人内疚 你应该自己觉得内疚才对 |
[30:32] | After Leo, you’re the best mind in the party… | 里奥离开后,你是党内 最顶尖的政治人物 |
[30:35] | …and you’re gonna work for us. It’s inevitable. When that day comes… | 你一定会为我们效力 这是必然的,等时候到了 |
[30:38] | …do you wanna be on the record trashing us so we can’t hire you? | 难道你想身带污名 好让我们不能重用你? |
[30:47] | Tell Roger and Ellen to come back in here. | 叫罗杰和爱伦回来 |
[30:49] | Look, I’m not saying it’s gonna come without a cost. | 叫罗杰和爱伦回来 听著,我没说这不用付出代价 |
[30:51] | Education is at the heart of everything that we care about. | 教育是我们所关注的一切核心 |
[30:55] | Competitiveness, opportunity, equality. | 竞争力、工作机会 平等权 |
[30:59] | Shouldn’t we figure out what we need first, and then get into the details? | 我们不该先知道所需 再深入探讨细节吗? |
[31:03] | So you’re saying no tax increase. | 你的意思是不会增税? |
[31:06] | Ma’am, what I’m saying is…. | 女士,我的意思是… |
[31:12] | Hi. | 你好 |
[31:14] | – Hi. | – Hi. 你好 妳好 妳好 |
[31:16] | – Ronna. – Actually, it’s Donna. | 妳好 妳好 萝娜 其实是唐娜 |
[31:18] | – No, it’s Ronna. – No, really, it’s Donna. | 萝娜 其实是唐娜 不,是萝娜 不,真的,是唐娜 |
[31:21] | – I’m quite certain it’s… – Ronna, it’s Donna. Donna, it’s Ronna. | 我很确定我叫… 这位是唐娜,这位是萝娜 |
[31:26] | – Can you give us a minute? – Sure. | 能回避一下吗? 当然 |
[31:30] | She should stick around. Your whole campaign’s like a Dr. Seuss nightmare. | 她该留著的,你的整个选情 就像苏斯博士童话书里的恶梦 |
[31:34] | One Fish, Two Fish, Dead Fish, We-Fought-the-Good-Fight Fish. | 《一只鱼、两只鱼、臭死鱼 打了一场好仗的鱼》 |
[31:37] | As opposed to The Cat in the Imitation Cowboy Hat fell flat? | 不是《假牛仔帽 与失灵的魔法猫》吗? |
[31:42] | Go ahead. Hop on Bob. | 直说啊,攻击巴柏 |
[31:43] | You should be with me. You’re on the wrong campaign. | 直说啊,攻击巴柏 妳应该跟著我的 妳选错团队了 |
[31:46] | I let Russell seduce me with perks like a salary and actual political support. | 罗素可以用薪水和政治献金 等等好处收买我 |
[31:50] | What make-work job do they even have you doing over there? | 他们还让妳做些什么 消磨时间的工作? |
[31:52] | Media targeting for the Northeast and Pacific Northwest. | 对东北各地 和太平洋西北一带媒体进行追踪 |
[31:58] | Fine. We’re still the ones with the gutsy education plan. | 很好,我们是唯一有胆 发表教育计划的 |
[32:01] | The ones speaking the truth about the New Hampshire primary. | 对新罕布夏的初选 提出真实的建言 |
[32:04] | – Know what Russell’s speaking about? – I didn’t know chipboard could talk. | 你知道罗素都谈些什么吗? 我不知道硬纸板居然会说话 |
[32:08] | White Mountains preservation, MTBE, textile conversion, local issues. | 白山的保育、甲基叔丁基醚 纺织业的转型、在地人的议题 |
[32:11] | – You mean pandering. – I mean what voters want. | 妳是指迎合大众 我是指关心选民的需求 |
[32:14] | “Campaigns are about them, not us. ” You taught me that. | 〝选举重要的是选民,不是我们〞 这是你教我的 |
[32:18] | – You came to deliver my old truisms? – Close. | 妳是来说我说过的老话? 差不多 |
[32:22] | Letters from Russell supporters to the DNC… | 罗素的支持者投书到民主党 |
[32:24] | …urging them to protect the New Hampshire primary. | 要他们保住新罕布夏的初选 |
[32:28] | You ought to deliver some of those truisms yourself. | 你该听听自己的老生常谈 |
[32:39] | Least you could do is send me the one with the noose. | 起码也该送一个 附带上吊工具的给我 |
[32:44] | Yeah, maybe Will’s right. | 也许威尔是对的 |
[32:46] | Maybe you are the man of destiny. | 也许你才是注定的人选 |
[32:50] | I just wish you’d filled out a little sooner, is all. | 我只是希望你能更快出线 |
[32:55] | – Mr. Lyman. – Yeah. | 赖曼先生 是的 |
[33:00] | A call for you. A Mr. Potus on the line. | 有你的电话 有位〝波特司〞先生找你 |
[33:06] | – This is Josh Lyman. – Please hold for the president. | 我是乔西赖曼 请稍等,帮你转接总统 |
[33:11] | Liz tells me you look like hell. | 丽兹说你情况糟透了 |
[33:13] | Yeah, well, hell’s just another word for “far from home without your mittens on. “ | 丽兹说你情况糟透了 是,她的意思是 我出远门却没得到你的庇佑 |
[33:17] | Sorry about what happened with Doug. | 很遗憾听到道格的事 |
[33:19] | If you ever have daughters, Josh, don’t let them run off and marry pinheads. | 很遗憾听到道格的事 如果你有女儿,乔西 千万别让她嫁给笨蛋 |
[33:23] | He’s in a tough race. I deserved it. | 他选的很认真,我自己活该 |
[33:25] | No, you took a bullet for me. I didn’t want Doug to run. | 他选的很认真,我自己活该 不,你替我挡过子弹 我原本没想要让道格参选 |
[33:28] | – I was doing my job. – It looks like I’m for Russell… | 我只是尽我的本分 我看来像是支持罗素的 |
[33:31] | – …but I want a vigorous primary. – I know. | 但我要这场初选有声有色 我知道 |
[33:33] | If I speak out, it sends all kinds of wrong signals. | 如果我出声 会出现各种错误讯息 |
[33:36] | – I know. – Take down these numbers. | 我知道 写下这些数字 |
[33:37] | – Numbers on…? – Just take them down. | 我知道 写下这些数字 什么的… 写下来就是了 |
[33:41] | Six to 24 over six. | 由六掉到二十四、六年 |
[33:44] | – And this is…? – New Hampshire’s dropout rate. | 这个是? 新罕布夏的辍学率 |
[33:47] | It fell from sixth-lowest in the nation to 24th in the last six years. | 过去六年来 从第六名掉到第二十四名 |
[33:51] | They’re highest in the region now. | 比例是那个地区最高的 |
[33:53] | I haven’t done enough. Santos should say that. | 比例是那个地区最高的 我还没调查完 山多斯该说明这些 |
[33:55] | People have to know why he’s talking about education… | 人民得了解 他为何要谈论教育 |
[33:58] | …what he’s running against. I haven’t done enough. | 要了解他在争取的是什么 我做的还不够 |
[34:01] | Might as well be me. See you when you visit Washington sometime? | 要我来说也行 等你来华府时我们见个面? |
[34:04] | Yes, sir. Sometime. | 是的,到时候见 |
[34:37] | The Democratic leader says your education plan’s poison for this state. | 民主党领袖表示 你的教育计划对本州有害 |
[34:41] | We respect his views, and we look forward to discussing them in person. | 我们尊重他的见解 希望有机会当面进行讨论 |
[34:44] | He says after Mayflower-gate, he won’t meet with Santos. | 他表示经过五月花事件后 不会接见山多斯 |
[34:47] | That’s a “gate” already? No way does that qualify as a “gate. “ | 已经变成〝事件〞了? 那根本不算一个事件 |
[34:50] | So you’re not consulting the teachers’ unions, you’re not identifying revenue… | 所以你不听取教师工会的意见 不会证实税收方面… |
[34:54] | We’re trying to solve maybe the most serious long-term problem… | 我们在解决的 或许正是这个国家当中 |
[34:58] | …in this country, and of course it’s gonna be controversial. | 最深远的困境 这当然会充满争议 |
[35:01] | Of course the status quo is gonna go bananas… | 现状当然会趋于失常 |
[35:03] | …but where are the other candidates’ education plans? | 但其他候选人 有提出教育计划吗? |
[35:06] | Tell me who’s got an alternative. Tell me that. | 你们告诉我还有什么选择 |
[35:14] | You wanted to talk about the schedule? | 你想谈行程的问题吗? |
[35:18] | I wanted to talk about today’s spending report. | 我想谈谈今天的开销明细 |
[35:20] | You hired Joey Lucas to do opposition research after I told you not to. | 我跟你说了不要 你还是雇了乔伊做敌方调查 |
[35:26] | – Congressman. – After I told you… | 众议员 就在我说过… |
[35:28] | …that we weren’t gonna smear other Democrats. | 众议员 就在我说过… 不准中伤其他民主党员之后 |
[35:30] | Research isn’t on them. It’s on you. | 那不是在调查他们,是调查你 |
[35:33] | I don’t know you. I don’t know what you’ve said or done. I have to know. | 我不认识你,不知道你说过 或做过什么,我得要知道 |
[35:37] | If a teacher smacked me in the third grade… | 如果我三年级时被老师打巴掌 |
[35:40] | …that’ll help sell my education plan? | 会有助于我推动教育计划吗? |
[35:42] | If I changed positions on the Lindbergh baby… | 如果我改变对儿童绑案的立场 |
[35:44] | …that’s worth having me investigated? | 会让我更值得被调查吗? |
[35:46] | Your brother hasn’t worked in five years. You’re supporting him. | 你的弟弟失业五年了 你一直在资助他 |
[35:50] | I need to know if you’ve tried to put him on a government payroll. | 我得知道你是否试图 让他领取政府津贴 |
[35:54] | – I need to know if you’ve made calls. – Leave him out of this. | 我得知道你有没有动用关系 别把他扯进来 |
[35:57] | – How did she get that? – Same as everyone else. | 她怎么查到的? 跟大家用一样的方法 |
[36:00] | We better stop doing this like everyone else. We better stop it now. | 我们得停止跟大家一样 我们最好立刻住手 |
[36:04] | You don’t get to run this as a test case on family privacy… | 你不摊开你的家庭隐私 就别想参选下去 |
[36:07] | …any more than you get to pick which states are ready for big speeches. | 别费心想接著要去哪一州 发表大型演说 |
[36:14] | I’m not trying to make this a test case. | 我不想公开隐私 |
[36:16] | Come on. | 拜托 |
[36:18] | We’re lucky if we have two months. I don’t wanna waste it shaking hands. | 如果还有两个月的时间就好了 我不想浪费时间到处握手 |
[36:25] | Two months? | 两个月? |
[36:28] | I gave up everything for this. You’re not even in it to win? | 我为了你放弃一切 而你根本没心要选赢? |
[36:33] | Maybe we have a different definition of winning, Josh. | 也许我们对赢的定义不同 |
[36:37] | Maybe that’s what we should’ve talked about in Houston. | 也许在休士顿就该讲清楚 |
[36:57] | – What’s that? – It’s called a clean campaign. | 这是干什么? 清清白白的选举 |
[37:00] | – I’m not hip to this campaign jargon. – These are…? | 别跟我来这套竞选老词 这些是… |
[37:03] | Statements from the other campaigns, promising education plans by next week. | 其他对手的声明稿 他们下周都会提出教育计划 |
[37:07] | No one was talking about it, now they all are. Hoynes challenged the field… | 之前没人提,如今全都在说 何尼斯提议针对教育进行辩论 |
[37:11] | …to debate education. We’re moving the debate, Josh. | 我们推动话题了,乔西 |
[37:20] | Don’t take that to the Litchfield town dump. | 别把那丢到利池菲镇垃圾场 |
[37:22] | It’ll still win more votes than your guy. | 他在那里的支持率 还是会比你们高 |
[37:28] | I deserved what you did to us at the Fickle Pickle. | 我那天在餐厅里是自讨苦吃 |
[37:33] | I didn’t do anything. | 我什么都没做 |
[37:35] | That was Doug. | 都是道格的主意 |
[37:37] | I practically poured a bucket of paint on his head when we got home. | 都是道格的主意 我回家后还差一点 倒了整桶油漆在他头上 |
[37:40] | We said all along we wouldn’t endorse anyone. | 我们说好了不支持任何人 |
[37:43] | Really? | 真的吗? |
[37:45] | Tons of our supporters lean toward Russell or lean toward Hoynes. | 真的吗? 我们的支持者有一大堆 都是支持罗素或何尼斯 |
[37:48] | A few have to be leaning toward us. | 至少有一些是支持我们的 |
[37:50] | Not really. But your guy has one hell of an education plan. | 不见得,但你们真的有 很不错的教育计划 |
[37:54] | My dad thinks so too. Only campaign that’s saying much of anything. | 我父亲也这么认为 但选举能炒作的就是这样 |
[37:57] | – Does this mean you and I are…? – No. I still think you’re a jerk. | 妳是说我跟妳已经… 没有,我仍然觉得你是混蛋 |
[38:03] | – What’s this? – A personal check. | 这是什么? 私人支票 |
[38:06] | You’re donat…? You’re giving Matt Santos $2000? | 妳要捐钱给… 妳要捐给麦特两千元? |
[38:10] | Yeah. Sorry. That’s the federal limit. | 对,抱歉,这是法定上限 |
[38:13] | Liz, this goes on a publicly disclosed donor list. | 丽兹,捐款人名单 是会公诸于世的 |
[38:17] | This is a Bartlet family contribution to Santos for President. | 这是巴特勒家族 在资助山多斯竞选总统 |
[38:20] | Funny thing about the FEC… | 联邦选委会真的很可笑 |
[38:22] | …they really like it when you report this stuff. | 联邦选委会真的很可笑 他们很喜欢看到这种报导 |
[38:27] | Don’t give the environmental speech. | 不要发表环保演说 |
[38:30] | – What do you mean? – Don’t give it. Doug’s for snowmobiles. | 什么意思? 别发表,道格支持雪车厂商 |
[38:33] | Maybe it’s bad politics, but it’s where he is. | 也许立场不佳 但那是他的选择 |
[38:37] | That’s the dumbest thing I ever heard. | 这是我听过最愚蠢的事了 |
[38:46] | – What do we do with this? – Cash it fast as we can. | 我们要拿它怎么办? 尽快兑现 |
[38:49] | See how many Matt Santos letter openers it’ll buy. | 看看那能做多少 麦特山多斯拆信刀 |
[38:57] | The speech insert on teachers? | 把教师纳入演说之中? |
[38:58] | More training, higher salaries, greater accountability. | 把教师纳入演说之中? 增加训练、提高薪资 增加使命感 |
[39:01] | Good. | 好的 |
[39:12] | – Where is Hawk’s house? – This is it. This is Phil Hawk’s house. | 霍克宅在哪里? 就是这里,菲尔霍克宅邸 |
[39:16] | I thought it was a venue, a speech, not another three-person grip and grin. | 我以为是演说用的集会场 而不是另一次家庭面谈 |
[39:22] | Phil’s one of the premier activists in…. | 菲尔在这里的影响力… |
[39:43] | What I said about putting your brother on the government payroll… | 我之前说你动用关系 帮你弟弟的事 |
[39:47] | – …was out of line. – You’re just doing your job. | 是我太过分了 你只是在尽你的职责 |
[39:49] | I don’t know what you want my job to be. | 我不知道你希望 我有什么职责 |
[39:52] | I mean, days now, I’ve been trying to get my head around this rationale. | 过去几天来我都在想尽办法 协助这场选战 |
[39:57] | I used to tell candidates, “Make it about the voters, not about you. “ | 我曾经对候选人说 〝选举重要的是选民,不是你〞 |
[40:05] | But the difference is, you are them. | 但这次不同在于 你就等于选民 |
[40:08] | Working-poor background, kids in public school… | 家庭背景清寒 小孩读公立学校 |
[40:11] | …brother with a high school diploma, he can barely read. | 弟弟高中毕业 几乎不识字 |
[40:14] | – What is that besides a stereotype? – It’s why you’re in this. | 这除了破坏形象还有什么? 这就是你参选的原因 |
[40:18] | It’s why you’re talking about education. What’s wrong with that? | 这是你改革教育的原因 这样有什么不对? |
[40:21] | Especially in New Hampshire, where people think their vote… | 尤其是在新罕布夏 这里的人民都把选票 |
[40:24] | …is the most personal thing they can give? | 珍视为最私人的东西 |
[40:26] | Have you taken one moment to think about whether you even like… | 你可曾想过,自己喜不喜欢 |
[40:30] | …my education plan? Pop psychology aside, whether it’s right for the country? | 我的教育计划?撇开大众心理 这对国家是否有益? |
[40:34] | I didn’t have to hear it to know it’d be right. | 我听都不用听 就知道那是个好计划 |
[40:38] | I do wanna win, you know? | 我真的想选赢,你知道吗? |
[40:42] | But I can’t do it by being just another cardboard cutout… | 但要我跟别人一样当人形立牌 我办不到 |
[40:45] | …even if it is smart tactics. | 不管那一招有多聪明 |
[40:47] | You can’t run a national campaign on your own. No one can. | 你无法独力参选总统 没人有办法 |
[40:56] | – New Hampshire’s over with, isn’t it? – You’re not making it easy. | 新罕布夏没搞头了吧? 这样想不会好过的 |
[40:59] | Well, you know… | 你知道吗? |
[41:02] | …if we’re gonna do this, I’m not gonna make it easy. | 既然要这么做 我就不期望要好过 |
[41:07] | I’m gonna give the big speeches, and I’m gonna push every limit. | 我要发表大型演说 我要全力以赴 |
[41:10] | And that’s the campaign you get to run. | 这就是你要辅选的人 |
[41:12] | – But what if I can’t make that work? – Well, then no one can. | 但要是我做不来呢? 那就没人做得来了 |
[41:28] | When you get the rest of that research… | 等你把调查做完之后 |
[41:31] | …we’ll go over it together. | 我再跟你一起讨论内容 |
[42:04] | Good evening. Hi. How are you? | 晚安 你好 |
[42:06] | Hello, sir. Thank you for inviting us. Good evening. | 你好,谢谢你邀请我们 晚安 |
[42:09] | – Hi. – Nice to meet you. | 你好 晚安 |
[42:11] | – This is more people than we expected. – Some of the neighbors came. | 你好 晚安 人数比预期的要多 来了一些邻居 |
[42:14] | – Because? – Mostly because they think he’s nuts. | 为什么? 大多是因为他们觉得他疯了 |
[42:17] | – But they’re curious. That ain’t nothing. – No, it ain’t nothing. | 但是他们很好奇,反正无伤 对,反正无伤 |
[42:22] | Well, as you all know, I’m Matt Santos, that kamikaze candidate from Texas. | 你们都晓得,我是麦特山多斯 德州来的疯狂参选人 |
[42:27] | Well, I didn’t leave my home and my family… | 我并不是离家、抛下家人 |
[42:30] | …so that I could stand around dumps telling you all what you wanna hear. | 站在这里 说各位想听的话 |
[42:35] | I’ve faced some things in my life, my own family, that make me believe… | 我这辈子遇到了一些事 还有我亲人的经历,让我相信 |
[42:40] | …that we need to rethink our whole education system. | 我们必须重新省思 整个教育系统 |
[42:44] | And if that’s something that’s going to make it harder for me as a candidate… | 若这些将有碍于我的参选之路 |
[42:48] | …well, then, I’ll just have to take it. | 我想我也只好面对它 |