时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:06] | Previously on The West Wing: | 你有亲眼看过 阿诺文尼克的竞选活动吗? |
[00:07] | Ever see Arnie Vinick campaign? | 你有亲眼看过 阿诺文尼克的竞选活动吗? |
[00:10] | He’ll go into high school gymnasiums in Iowa and blow them all away. | 他会到爱荷华州和新罕布夏州 的高中体育馆将选票全都吸过来 |
[00:14] | I let Russell seduce me with mindless perks… | 我让罗素以没大脑的痞子 引诱我… |
[00:16] | …like a salary and political support. | 就像薪资和政策上的支持 |
[00:18] | What make-work job do they have you doing over there? | 他们在那里打发时间的工作 是什么? |
[00:21] | Media targeting for the Northeast and Pacific Northwest. | 对东北各地 和太平洋西北一带媒体进行追踪 |
[00:24] | You care who’ll be in that chair after Bartlet. | 你在乎谁会在巴特勒之后坐上宝座 |
[00:26] | I do. | 我在乎 |
[00:29] | That’s why I don’t want Russell to be president. | 那就是为什么我不想让 巴柏罗素当总统 |
[00:31] | I’m gonna give big speeches. I’m gonna push limits. | 我要办一场大型演说 我要推向极限 |
[00:34] | And that’s the campaign you get to run. | 这就是你要辅选的人 |
[01:01] | – You gonna need me in the morning? – I’ll call Mindy if I do. | 你早上会需要我吗? 有需要的话我会打给明蒂 |
[01:04] | Okay. | 好 |
[01:06] | Thanks. | 谢谢 (假日大饭店) |
[01:11] | Hey, anything for 412? | 412号房有留言吗? (星期三,午夜12点55分) |
[01:17] | – Mr. Bailey’s still in the cafe. – Thanks. | 贝利先生还在咖啡厅里 谢谢 |
[01:21] | – Good night. – Five forty-five wake-up call? | 晚安 5点45分,起床电话? |
[01:24] | Yeah. Or you can have someone come to my room… | 对,不然也可以找个人 到我房间来… |
[01:26] | …and hit me over the head with a mallet or something. | 拿个木槌什么的 往我头上敲下去 |
[01:30] | – You got a name for the hog roast yet? – “Pig out with Bob”? | 你帮烤猪取名了没? 〝巴柏爆红猪〞 |
[01:34] | – Hey. How was South Carolina? – Southern. | 南卡罗莱纳情况如何? 南方 |
[01:36] | How’d the donor conferences go? | 捐款人大会情形如何? |
[01:38] | Heard a hundred ideas about how Democrats… | 听了上百个新点子 都是如何让民主党… |
[01:41] | …can take back the South and scooped up the checks. | 把南方赢回来 也装了一麻袋支票回来 |
[01:44] | – Don’t be a tease. – Half a million. | 别开玩笑 50万 |
[01:47] | – When’s the VP coming? – Air Force Two is wheels-down at 9:30. | 副总统什么时候到? 空军二号九点半降落 |
[01:50] | – Where do you want me? – We need to pack the debate stage… | 你要我在哪里? 我要你把辩论台上塞满… |
[01:53] | – …with fringe candidates. – Here you go. | 次要的参选人,克丽丝汀会帮妳 给你,威尔 |
[01:55] | We’ve got two recently released federal inmates… | 我们有两个刚出狱的联邦罪犯… |
[01:58] | …an airline mechanic, two men over the age of 80… | 一个飞机工程师 两个超过80岁的老先生 |
[02:01] | – …a comedian, a nun. – Don’t forget Jennifer James. | 一个喜剧演员,一个修女 别忘了还有珍妮佛詹姆斯 |
[02:04] | – One guy’s entire platform… – She’s a porn star. | 她是个色情片女优,很不错的 精力旺盛 |
[02:06] | …is a tax cut for anyone who adopts and neuters a pet. | 还有一个人,他的政见就是 让收养和替宠物去势的人减税 |
[02:09] | Why do we want them, aside from the neutering thing? | 除了替宠物去势以外 我们要这些人上台做什么? |
[02:12] | Hoynes was hoping to be alone on-stage with the VP. | 何尼斯本来希望单独上台 和副总统对打 |
[02:15] | The more wackos around him, the more Hoynes looks like a clown. | 他旁边站越多这些疯子 何尼斯就越难看 |
[02:18] | Okay. Morning staff at 6:30. | 好,六点半干部早会 |
[02:22] | – Wonderful work. – Good job, Donna. | 做的很好 做的很好,唐娜 |
[02:25] | – How was it? – Good. | 怎么样? 很好 |
[02:28] | – Pool in Charleston was nice. – You had time to swim? | 查理斯敦的游泳池很不错 妳还有时间游泳? |
[02:30] | No, but it looked nice. We really gonna call them Bob’s Boulders? | 不,看起来很不错 我们真要把他们叫做巴柏的石子? |
[02:34] | They keep signing checks, I don’t care if they’re the Flying Wallendas. | 如果他们能一直捐钱 他们想叫做飞人瓦伦达都可以 |
[02:38] | Half a million. | 50万 这两天跟这些石子混的不错 晚安 |
[02:40] | Not bad for two days of rolling with the Boulders. Good night. | 这两天跟这些石子混的不错 晚安 |
[03:00] | – Can you hold the elevator? – Sorry, I…. | 能帮忙按一下电梯吗? 对不起,我… |
[03:03] | If we can’t afford at least 200 points out of Boston… | 如果我们不能在波士顿 弄到200点的话… |
[03:06] | …we gotta find another way. | 我们一定得再另外想办法 |
[03:09] | Stuart, will you call me back in five? Thanks. | 史都华,五分钟后再打电话给我 |
[03:13] | – I’m sorry, I couldn’t find the button. – Right. | 对不起,我找不到按钮 没关系 |
[03:16] | Will you hit four? | 可以帮我按四楼吗? |
[03:32] | – Just get back? – Yeah. South Carolina. | 刚回来? 对,从南卡罗莱纳 |
[03:36] | – How’s it going with you guys there? – We’re closing in on Hoynes. | 你们那边情况如何? 我们已经快赶上何尼斯 |
[03:43] | You? | 你呢? 我们现在把重点放在新罕布夏 |
[03:45] | We’re focusing on New Hampshire right now. | 我们现在把重点放在新罕布夏 |
[04:08] | So where did you stay in South Carolina? | 你在南卡罗莱纳住在哪里? |
[04:12] | Marriott. Charleston. | 查理斯敦的万豪酒店 |
[04:14] | They got that nice-looking pool. | 他们有很不错看的游泳池 |
[04:29] | So… | 那么… 晚安 好,待会儿见 |
[04:30] | – …good night. – Yeah. See you. | 晚安 好,待会儿见 |
[04:40] | You’re doing it too fast. | 你刷太快了 |
[04:44] | I get… I get frequent-flier miles every time I swipe. | 我每刷一次都可以赚到里程数 |
[04:53] | So much for the Bermuda trip. | 百慕达之旅泡汤了 (请勿打扰) |
[06:44] | – Yeah? – Good morning. | 哪位? 早安 |
[06:46] | This is your 5:45 a. m. wake-up call. | 这是您上午5点45分的起床电话 |
[07:01] | …Carly Farkula, a 22-year-old Turkish woman… | (星期三,上午5点46分) |
[07:05] | …who was sexually involved with a coworker… | 22岁的土耳其女性 卡莉法库拉… |
[07:07] | …was convicted of adultery this morning. | 因与同事发生性行为… |
[07:09] | She’s been sentenced to death for her crime. | 今晨被判通奸罪成立 |
[07:12] | The conviction of the young woman comes at a precarious time for Turkey… | 并将被处以死刑 |
[07:16] | …who has until recently enacted reforms aimed at preparing the country… | 这项判决冲击著土耳其… |
[07:20] | …for European Union membership. However, EU officials say… | 该国正致力于各项改革… |
[07:25] | …the execution of Miss Farkula would be a major obstacle… | 希望能够进入欧盟 |
[07:28] | …to Turkey’s future inclusion in the EU. | 不过,欧盟官员表示… 针对法库拉小姐的这项判决… |
[07:31] | Bartlet administration officials stressed that while saddened… | 将对土耳其未来加入欧盟 形成极大阻碍 |
[07:35] | …by Turkey’s decision to allow the execution to go forward… | 在此同时,巴特勒政府强调… 虽然对土耳其政府允许 |
[07:38] | …the United States remains committed to strengthening ties with Turkey. | 这样的判决成立,表示遗憾… 但美国将持续加强 与土耳其的双边关系 |
[07:43] | American Legion pancake breakfast… | 美国退伍军人协会松饼早餐会 |
[07:45] | …followed by remarks at the opening of the new office in Des Moines. | 美国退伍军人协会松饼早餐会 接著是德蒙地方办公室开幕 |
[07:49] | – It’ll be 5 degrees. – Bus ride to Centerville… | 今天只有华氏五度 坐巴士到中央村… |
[07:52] | …then to the Iowa Corn Growers’ speech. | 然后到爱荷华 针对玉米农民的演讲会场 |
[07:54] | – Where are we on ethanol? – VP loves it. | 然后到爱荷华 针对玉米农民的演讲会场 我们对乙醇的立场? 副总统的最爱 |
[07:56] | – Showers in it. – Comment on Turkey? | 我们对乙醇的立场? 副总统的最爱 甚至每天早上都用来淋浴 土耳其事件呢? |
[07:58] | – What’s the president saying? – Saddened… | 甚至每天早上都用来淋浴 土耳其事件呢? 总统是怎么说的? 遗憾但会持续加强双边关系 |
[08:00] | – …committed to strengthening ties. – Saddened? They’re gonna behead her. | 总统是怎么说的? 遗憾但会持续加强双边关系 遗憾?他们要砍她的头耶 |
[08:04] | – Who’s got the wonderful world of corn? – That’d be me. | 是谁负责美好的玉米世界? 就是本人我 |
[08:07] | Iowa Corn Growers Expo is non-partisan… | 爱荷华玉米大展,没有党派色彩… 什么叫做没有党派色彩? |
[08:09] | …sponsored by the Iowa Farm League. | 爱荷华玉米大展,没有党派色彩… 什么叫做没有党派色彩? 由爱荷华农民联盟赞助 |
[08:11] | The expo offers an excellent opportunity… | 由爱荷华农民联盟赞助 这次大展提供极好的机会… |
[08:13] | …to address farmers, corn growers, crop consultants and seed-corn reps… | 可以像农民,玉米农民 农作物顾问和种苗商… |
[08:17] | …on a variety of issues, including the economy, farm subsidies, trade… | 发表各种议题,包括 经济、农业补助、贸易… |
[08:21] | …biotechnology, ethanol and alternative fuel. | 生物科技、乙醇和另类燃料 |
[08:23] | – We’re sure Hoynes will flip? – Believe me. | 制片:艾莉亚提 |
[08:26] | Hoynes is taking the pledge. | 制片:艾莉亚提 我们确定何尼斯会改变立场? 相信我,他在饮酒议题上发过誓了 |
[08:27] | This guy, if speaking to cannibals, will promise them missionaries. | 制片:克里斯汀哈姆斯 安德鲁史登 这小子如果面对食人族的话 会双手奉送传教士 |
[08:31] | Think we’ll be able to find corn? | 我们会看到玉米吗? |
[08:33] | Corn fritters, corn pudding, | 我们会看到玉米吗? 玉米馅饼、玉米布丁、火焰玉米饼 玉米舒芙蕾、克里奥式玉米… |
[08:37] | …country-fried corn, peanut butter corn cakes and huitlacoche. | 乡村炸玉米、花生酱玉米蛋糕 还有一种威拉可切 |
[08:41] | It’s a sweet-corn fungus. | 那是长在甜玉米上的蕈菇 |
[08:43] | They give it to pigs in the States. It’s a delicacy in South America. | 那是长在甜玉米上的蕈菇 美国是用来喂猪的 在南美洲可是种珍品 |
[08:46] | No need to stop for lunch. Everybody fill up on corn smut… | 制片:麦可希斯瑞区 不需要停下来吃午餐 大家就在杰佛森牛棚里… |
[08:50] | …at the Jefferson Cow Barn. Five days till the caucuses… | 吃点玉米香菇填饱肚子 离爱荷华初选还有五天… |
[08:53] | …nineteen days to New Hampshire. | 新罕布夏初选则有19天 |
[08:56] | Donna, Christine. You two heading out on your beyond-the-fringe world tour? | 妳们要展开 〝拜访次要政敌之旅〞了吗? |
[09:00] | First stop, Peter Burton. | 第一站,彼得波顿 |
[09:01] | He wants the military in schools to prevent violence. | 第一站,彼得波顿 他要把军队送进学校 以防止校园暴力 |
[09:04] | One Abrams tank seems like a worthwhile truancy deterrent. | 看来坦克车还可用来防止逃学 |
[09:07] | A 120 mm cannon would blow the wheels off any tardy sixth grader’s bike. | 坎侬砲可以轰掉 迟到的六年级小孩的脚踏车 |
[09:11] | Tough on cafeteria linoleum. | 严格把关学校的营养午餐 |
[09:13] | When you swing by the expo, Bob will thank you for looking at that pool. | 严格把关学校的营养午餐 到玉米大会时 巴柏会感谢妳注意到游泳池 |
[09:20] | Skip this one. He went to federal prison for refusing to pay income tax. | 下一个可以跳过 他因为拒绝缴税坐了三年牢 |
[09:24] | Ever been to one of these caucuses, Trevor? | 崔佛,你有没有参加过 这种疯狂的初选? |
[09:26] | My grandmother runs one down at her church every four years. | 崔佛,你有没有参加过 这种疯狂的初选? 我祖母每四年都会在 她的教会办一场 |
[09:29] | You don’t think it’s weird your state gets to go first? | 你不觉得奇怪 为什么你们的州是第一个? |
[09:33] | – We always go first. – Yeah, and why is that? | 我们一直都是第一个? 对,但是为什么呢? |
[09:35] | – Iowa’s first because it’s first. – Says who? | 我们一直都是第一个? 对,但是为什么呢? 爱荷华排第一个,因为它就是第一 谁说的? |
[09:38] | We should check this Craig out. | 我们得去查查这个 叫做克雷格的人的底细 |
[09:39] | You don’t think Californians should meet candidates? | 我们得去查查这个 叫做克雷格的人的底细 你不觉得加州人也该见见候选人? 反而是这些农夫村姑 |
[09:42] | We’re not a bunch of politically spoiled farmhands. | 我们可不是一群被政治 收买的无知农夫 |
[09:45] | We take the responsibility of screening presidential candidates seriously. | 我们会很认真负责的替全国的人 检视每个总统候选人 |
[09:48] | Guy wins Iowa, it means he’s learned to speak… | 在爱荷华初选赢的人 不过是表示他懂得谈论… |
[09:51] | …about soybeans and farm implements. | 有关大豆和农耕用具的事 |
[09:54] | Here we are. This is the Burtons’ here. | 到了,波顿就在这里 (去他的狗 此处由史密斯和威森负责) |
[10:07] | Maybe we should’ve called first. | 或许我们应该先打电话 |
[10:11] | – Good flight in? – Yeah, slept. | 一路飞的还好吗? 对,一路都在睡 |
[10:14] | – First stop’s a pancake breakfast. – Love pancakes. | 一路飞的还好吗? 对,一路都在睡 第一站松饼早餐会 我最爱松饼了 |
[10:17] | The Sun-Times wants a statement on farm subsidies. | 《太阳时报》想要知道 我们对农业补助的看法 |
[10:20] | The family farm is the backbone of America. | 农业家庭是美国的支柱 |
[10:23] | They were looking for something substantial. | 他们想要更深入的 |
[10:25] | What do they expect, I’ll be against farm subsidies in Iowa? | 他们想要更深入的 他们想要什么?要我在爱荷华 说我反对农业补助? |
[10:29] | – Oppose manhole covers in Manhattan? – We’ll give them boilerplate. | 就像在曼哈顿反对人孔盖 我们会弄些制式说法给他 |
[10:32] | It’s a tragedy about the woman in Turkey. | 那个土耳其女人的事真是悲剧 |
[10:34] | – We issue a statement? – You deplore it. | 那个土耳其女人的事真是悲剧 我们会有声明吗? 你很悲伤 |
[10:36] | – Good to know. – You support Bartlet’s efforts… | 我们会有声明吗? 你很悲伤 很好 你支持巴特勒对加强… |
[10:39] | …to strengthen ties with an important regional ally. | 与此重要的地区伙伴间的关系 所作的努力 |
[10:42] | This morning’s finance report, 8.2 million cash in hand. | 今天早上最新的财务报告 已经有820万现金到手了 |
[10:45] | – Ought to buy a few lawn signs. – And lawns. | 可以去买几个草皮标语 还可以附赠草皮 |
[10:47] | Got a minute for donors? Irwin Drucker’s wife, Eileen. | 有时间跟金主见面吗? 厄文卓克的太太,艾琳 |
[10:50] | Have a daughter Susan at LSU. Peter Mosby, he’s in insurance. | 有个女儿苏珊,读LSU 彼得莫斯比,是做保险的 |
[10:53] | Sorry, I got stuck in the pack at the White House. | 对不起,我被白宫的事绊住了 |
[10:56] | Irwin, Eileen. How’s your daughter Susan doing at LSU? | 厄文、艾琳,令千金苏珊 在LSU读的如何? |
[10:59] | Mr. Edgars, your platform would allow all citizens to carry a concealed weapon? | 艾德格先生,你的政见主轴 是允许所有的人民都携带武器 |
[11:04] | Not allow. Require. | 不是允许,是强制规定 |
[11:06] | And you don’t think that might lead to…. Well, anarchy? | 不是允许,是强制规定 你不认为这样会让国家 成为…无政府状态 |
[11:09] | What we got now is anarchy. | 现在就已经是无法无天了 |
[11:11] | An armed citizenry will take back our cities, our parks, our schools… | 现在就已经是无法无天了 让每个人有武器,这样才能夺回 原本属于我们的城市、公园、学校 |
[11:16] | …and our highways. | 还有我们的公路 |
[11:43] | You try those pepper sausages? Damn, those things were hot. | 你尝过那些胡椒香肠了吗? 真是辣翻天了 |
[11:47] | Somebody get me a quart of milk and a bucket of sand. | 谁去帮我找瓶牛奶和一桶沙子 |
[11:50] | Paul Durett and his wife, Mimi. Sam Skok and his son, David. | 保罗度芮特和他的夫人,咪咪 山姆史库克和公子,大卫 |
[11:53] | Hey. I’m gonna step back, take my coat off. I’ll be right back. | 你们好,我得到后面去 把外套脱下来,我马上就会来 |
[11:56] | Roger, make sure everybody’s got something to drink. | 罗杰,拿东西请大家喝 |
[11:59] | – You look at the ethanol speech? – Seems fine. Who else is speaking? | 你在飞机上看过乙醇的讲稿了吗? 还不错,还有谁会上场? |
[12:03] | Hoynes before you. Clarkson and Santos after you. Republicans tonight. | 何尼斯在你之前,你后面是 克拉克森和山多斯,是民主党之夜 |
[12:06] | You think Arnie’s gonna say ethanol’s a colossal waste of the taxpayers’ money? | 你觉得阿诺会说乙醇取代方案 完全是浪费纳税人的钱吗? |
[12:10] | – Thanks, Shelley. – Vinick will flip. Has to. | 雪莉,谢谢 文尼克会硬坳过来的,非硬坳不可 |
[12:14] | I was in the Senate the last time he made his anti-ethanol speech. | 我在参议院,听过他的反乙醇演讲 讲的热血沸腾 |
[12:18] | Had it been a tie, I’m not sure what I would’ve done. | 要不是平手 我还真不知道该怎么办 |
[12:21] | Voted aye if you wanted to run for office again. | 如果要继续待在白宫 就得投赞成票 |
[12:24] | I think ethanol passed something like 82-18. | 我记得乙醇案通过 好像是82比18 |
[12:26] | I’m surprised there were 18 senators with no presidential ambitions. | 我很惊讶竟然有18个参议员 没有选总统的野心 |
[12:30] | You think he can wriggle out from under his record? | 你觉得以他的过去的纪录 他可以想办法脱身吗? |
[12:32] | He’ll wiggle, he’ll squirm. | 只要能赢,他什么都做的出来 |
[12:34] | He’ll say it wasn’t good for California. He knows it’s good for the country. | 只要能赢,他什么都做的出来 他会说这对加州不利 但他知道这对国家是好事 |
[12:39] | He’ll pull a muscle reaching around him to pick up that one. | 他要是真能这样硬坳 铁定会扭到 |
[12:42] | The majority whip is positioning on Third Circuit nominees again. | 多数党党鞭又再设法影响 第三巡回法院法官提名案 |
[12:45] | Yeah. Vinick’s not wrong about ethanol. | 文尼克对乙醇的看法没错 |
[12:47] | Takes more oil to transport it and fertilize it than we save using it. | 文尼克对乙醇的看法没错 要花费更多的汽油运送 肥料的花费比我们省下的还多 |
[12:51] | Sir, you’re not changing the speech. | 长官,你不准备修一修讲稿吗? |
[12:53] | – Was it Paul and Mandy? – Paul and Mimi. Son David. | 长官,你不准备修一修讲稿吗? 是保罗汉和曼蒂吗? 是保罗和咪咪,儿子大卫 |
[12:58] | Mr. Johnson, your platform would include paying the president… | 强森先生你的政见主轴是 支付总统… |
[13:01] | …the Cabinet and members of Congress a salary of $ 1 a year? | 内阁阁员、国会议员 每年一元的薪水? |
[13:04] | Hell, yeah. Make them get a real job. | 对,逼他们去找个真的工作 |
[13:06] | And you wanna ban motorcycle helmets, color television, drop out of the U.N… | 对,逼他们去找个真的工作 你还要废除机车安全帽、彩色电视 |
[13:10] | …abolish Medicare and privatize Social Security? | 退出联合国、粉碎健保 还要把社福制度民营化? |
[13:13] | We gotta get the government out of our damn pockets. | 我们不能再让政府的手 伸进我们的荷包里 |
[13:16] | Sir, are you sure you’re a Democrat? | 你确定你民主党员? (杰佛森牛棚) (康索布拉夫,爱荷华) |
[13:31] | We’re gonna need time after the trip for a debate prep. | 这个参观行程之后 我们得留些时间准备辩论 |
[13:34] | – The Black and Brown’s coming up. – Do I really have to go? | 接著是〝黑棕大辩论〞 我真的非去不可吗? |
[13:37] | – It’s an Iowa tradition. – And a fair fight. | 这是爱荷华的传统 是公平的竞赛 |
[13:39] | Atkins and Santos get to stand up there… | 这是爱荷华的传统 是公平的竞赛 艾特金和山多斯会站到台上 |
[13:42] | …rail against racial injustice, while the rest of us loiter… | 发表反对族群不平等的言论 而我们其他的人则看起来像… |
[13:45] | …looking like those albino twins from The Matrix. | 《骇客任务》里的白子双胞胎 |
[13:48] | Donna Moss is here. South Carolina fundraising. | 唐娜摩斯来了 她负责南卡的募款工作 |
[13:50] | Great job on Carolina. Keep those Boulders rolling. | 做的很好 继续让那些小石子滚起来 |
[13:53] | Thank you, sir. We can’t put these fringe candidates… | 谢谢你,长官 我们不能把那些无厘头的参选人 |
[13:56] | …on-stage with serious candidates. | 跟这些正经的参选人一起放在台上 |
[13:58] | We’ve got a Fascist arrested for brandishing a rifle… | 跟这些正经的参选人一起放在台上 我们有一个因挥舞长枪被捕的 法西斯主义者 |
[14:01] | …calling for the republic’s overthrow. | 上台说要推翻共和制度 |
[14:03] | A delusional preacher, a guy who just needs a job… | 上台说要推翻共和制度 一个神智恍惚的传教士 还有一个只想找工作… |
[14:06] | …and a refugee from the New Christian Minstrels. | 还有一个《新克利斯提诗人》的前歌手 |
[14:09] | A freight train derailed in Baton Rouge. Big chemical spill and fire. | 巴顿鲁治有一辆货运火车出轨 造成严重的化学品外泄和大火 |
[14:12] | They’ll have to evacuate a 20-square-mile area. | 他们得疏散方圆20哩的范围 |
[14:15] | – Any fatalities? – Leveled a couple of city blocks. | 有人员伤亡吗? 遍及好几个城市 |
[14:20] | They’re ready for you, sir. | 他们都准备好了,长官 |
[14:22] | – We’re set on this ethanol speech? – Don’t worry, I’m not suicidal. | 他们都准备好了,长官 乙醇的讲稿确定了吗? 别担心,我不会自我毁灭的 |
[14:26] | I’m gonna take the pledge. | 我会提出我的保证 |
[14:28] | Ladies and gentlemen, the vice president of the United States. | 我会提出我的保证 各位女士先生 让我们欢迎副总统上场 |
[14:31] | I might throw in something… | 我可能会再丢进一些 |
[14:33] | …about drastically reducing sugar subsidies, though. | 我可能会再丢进一些 像是大幅减少糖业补助之类的 |
[14:43] | We can’t give these fringe people a megaphone. They’re lunatics. | 我们不能给这些人扩音器 他们根本是一群疯子 |
[14:46] | – It’ll be a circus. – Thanks for that welcome. | 整个场子会闹的像个马戏团 谢谢各位这么热诚的欢迎 |
[14:49] | Now, I’m not saying this just because I’m in Iowa. | 不是因为我人在爱荷华才这么说 |
[14:52] | I say this everywhere I go. We need more ethanol production. | 我到每个地方都是这么说的 我们需要生产更多的乙醇 |
[14:57] | – It’s not already a circus? – When I was in Congress… | 这不已经是个马戏团了? 当我在参议院的时候… |
[15:00] | …I voted to subsidize…. | 我就是投票赞成补助… |
[15:09] | Good morning. This is your 5:45 a. m. wake-up call. | 早安 这是您上午5点45分的起床电话 |
[15:14] | Thank you. | 谢谢 (星期三,上午5点46分) |
[15:26] | …Carly Farkula, a 22-year-old Turkish woman… | 22岁的土耳其女性 卡莉法库拉… |
[15:30] | …who was sexually involved with a coworker… | 因与同事发生性行为… |
[15:33] | …was convicted of adultery this morning. | 因与同事发生性行为… 今晨被判通奸罪成立 |
[15:35] | She’s been sentenced to death for her crime. | 今晨被判通奸罪成立 并将被处以死刑 |
[15:37] | In the most recent attempt to revamp Turkey’s 78-year-old penal code… | 并将被处以死刑 就在土耳其政府正准备修改 这78年历史的罚则之时… |
[15:41] | …members of the Justice Development Party… | 正义发展党的成员… |
[15:44] | …approved yesterday a controversial amendment plan to criminalize adultery. | 正义发展党的成员… 昨天通过了一项极具争议的 将通奸定罪的修正案 |
[15:49] | Leaders are expressing concern that the country’s laws… | 各国领袖均担心,这项新法… |
[15:52] | …might be moving closer to Islamic law. | 各国领袖均担心,这项新法… 将会使该国的法律 更加趋向回教律法 |
[15:55] | The conviction of the woman comes at a precarious time for Turkey… | 将会使该国的法律 更加趋向回教律法 这项判决冲击著土耳其… |
[15:58] | …who has until recently enacted reforms aimed at preparing the country… | 该国正致力于各项改革… |
[16:02] | …for European Union membership. EU officials say… | 希望能够进入欧盟 不过,欧盟官员表示… |
[16:05] | …the execution of Miss Farkula would be a major obstacle… | 针对法库拉小姐的这项判决… |
[16:09] | …to Turkey’s future inclusion in the EU. | 将对土耳其未来加入欧盟 形成极大阻碍 |
[16:12] | Bartlet administration officials stressed that while saddened… | 将对土耳其未来加入欧盟 形成极大阻碍 在此同时,巴特勒政府强调… |
[16:15] | …by Turkey’s decision to allow the execution to go forward… | 虽然对土耳其政府允许 这样的判决成立,表示遗憾… |
[16:19] | …the United States remains committed to strengthening ties with Turkey. | 但美国将持续加强 与土耳其的双边关系 |
[16:25] | Okay, you guys. I’m just gonna be right next door, all right? | 好了,你们俩个 我要到隔壁去,好吗? |
[16:32] | At 10 we tour the Todd family orchard in Ames. | 十点我们要参观位在埃姆斯的 陶德家的果园 |
[16:34] | Talk about agricultural policy with farmers. | 十点我们要参观位在埃姆斯的 陶德家的果园 和农民讨论农业政策 |
[16:37] | Followed by a photo op in Audubon with Albert, world’s largest bull. | 接著是到奥都本和 世界最大的牛,亚伯特合照 |
[16:40] | – Campaign’s full of metaphors, isn’t it? – Josh Lyman for Toby Ziegler. | 竞选过程充满暗喻,是吧? 乔西赖曼找托比齐格 |
[16:44] | Say, Ned, did Andrea send over the markups on the dispersal? | 耐德,安卓雅有没有把 分区内容送过来? |
[16:48] | I wanna weigh in before it goes to the floor. | 我要在发出去之前先评估一遍 |
[16:50] | – Read it on the way. – Next is a coffee-bean caucus… | 我要在发出去之前先评估一遍 到路上再读… 接下来是咖啡豆初选 |
[16:53] | – …at Hamburg Inn #2. – The what? | 到路上再读… 接下来是咖啡豆初选 在汉堡旅社2号 什么? |
[16:55] | It’s a diner. They line up mason jars with each candidate’s name on it. | 在汉堡旅社2号 什么? 他们在餐厅里,把玻璃罐排起来 每个罐子标明不同的候选人 |
[16:58] | Customers get a bean to toss in their favorite’s. | 然后让每个客人把咖啡豆 丢在他们喜欢的罐子里 |
[17:01] | – I even have a jar? – We sent a volunteer in all week. | 然后让每个客人把咖啡豆 丢在他们喜欢的罐子里 我有一个罐子? 我派了个志工去丢豆子有一星期了 |
[17:04] | – You got seven beans. – Volunteer as big as Albert? | 你不是得到七颗豆子? 跟亚伯特一样大的志工? |
[17:06] | Next is the oldest Dairy Queen. | 你不是得到七颗豆子? 跟亚伯特一样大的志工? 下一站是最古老的冰淇淋店 |
[17:08] | You try soft-serve and talk about the economy. Next we fly to…. | 下一站是最古老的冰淇淋店 你一边吃霜淇淋一边谈经济 接下来,我们要飞到… |
[17:12] | – We have a plane? – Sort of. | 我们有飞机? 算是 |
[17:14] | …for the “I impale myself on the sword of corn-based fuel” speech. | 我们有飞机? 算是 有翅膀吗? 讲述〝我被玉米燃料的剑刺死了〞 |
[17:18] | What are you gonna say about ethanol? | 你对乙醇这件事要怎么说? |
[17:20] | “Best thing since soft-serve. “ | 〝霜淇淋之后最棒的东西〞 |
[17:22] | Ethanol is subsidized to the tune of what, a billion dollars a year, Josh? | 〝霜淇淋之后最棒的东西〞 乙醇补助款要花掉多少… 一年十亿吗?乔西 |
[17:26] | – What’s up after the corn expo? – Prep on the Brown and Black debate. | 玉米大会之后是什么? 准备〝黑棕大辩论〞 |
[17:30] | All of you are gonna prep me for a debate on race? | 我要靠你们要帮我准备 种族议题的辩论? |
[17:32] | We should go over opposing arguments. | 我要靠你们要帮我准备 种族议题的辩论? 我们该研究一下对手的论点 |
[17:35] | See if we can get Hoynes on the issues. | 我们该研究一下对手的论点 看我们能不能 在这个些议题上逮住何尼斯 |
[17:37] | I grew up in Houston. I lived the opposing arguments. | 看我们能不能 在这个些议题上逮住何尼斯 我在休士顿长大 我根本是生活在对手的论点里 |
[17:39] | Okay, that’s it. Parking lot, 10 minutes. | 好了,就到这里 十分钟后,停车场见 |
[17:42] | Terrible about the woman in Turkey, huh? What will the president do? | 土耳其那女人的事真惨 总统会怎么做? |
[17:46] | Not much, I’d guess. I mean, she’s a Turkish citizen. It’s their country. | 我猜不会特别做什么 她是土耳其人,是内政问题 |
[17:50] | They’re executing her because | 她和未婚夫上床,结果被判了死刑 还好她没帮他做早餐 |
[17:53] | Hey, we execute minors. The rest of the world thinks that’s barbaric. | 我们对未成年少年执行死刑 全世界都觉得我们很残酷 |
[17:57] | – I’m with the world. – You joining us this morning? | 我赞成全世界 妳今天早上要和我们一起去? |
[18:00] | No. Peter’s got the sniffles. Think we’re gonna stay here for a while. | 不,彼得有点鼻塞 我想我们在这里多待一会儿 |
[18:04] | Honey, a billion dollars a year to make a gasoline additive? | 亲爱的,一年十亿 只为了做汽油添加剂? |
[18:07] | I’ll get my coat, kiss the kids goodbye. | 我去拿外套 顺便跟孩子们说再见 |
[18:09] | – Pictures are better without the coat. – Circulation’s better with it. | 我去拿外套 顺便跟孩子们说再见 不穿外套,照相比较好看 穿上血液循环会比较好 |
[18:13] | – Register has us at 3 percent. – Yeah, I saw. | 《注册报》说我们有百分之三 对,我看到了 |
[18:16] | Iowa’s Hispanic population’s 2.8 percent. | 《注册报》说我们有百分之三 对,我看到了 爱荷华的西班牙裔人口 是百分之2.8 |
[18:19] | A billion dollars that could be spent on health care, prenatal care… | 十亿可以用来做 儿童保健、产前保健… |
[18:22] | – …Head Start education… – Catch up later? | 学龄前教育… 我们待会儿见? |
[18:25] | – Yeah. – See you. | 学龄前教育… 我们待会儿见? 好 再见 |
[18:33] | We wrangled you an invitation to hunt pheasant… | 我们帮你争取到和一位郡议长 |
[18:36] | …with one of the Osceola County supervisors. | 我们帮你争取到和一位郡议长 一起去打雉鸡 |
[18:38] | Get into camo gear, sling a 12-gauge over your shoulder… | 一起去打雉鸡 穿上迷彩装备,背一只长枪 |
[18:42] | – …get a few photos for the AP. – With a gun? | 照几张宣传照 跟枪一起照? |
[18:44] | You were a Marine. You can shoot, right? | 照几张宣传照 跟枪一起照? 你曾是陆战队员 你会用枪吧? |
[18:46] | Yeah, a 20 mm chain gun, but it might be a little hard on the pheasant. | 你曾是陆战队员 你会用枪吧? 对,是二厘米的机枪 对付雉鸡可能太残忍了 |
[18:50] | You know, Helen’s not wrong about ethanol. | 你知道,海伦对乙醇的看法没错 |
[18:52] | – Oh, please. Come on. – It’s bad for the environment. | 你知道,海伦对乙醇的看法没错 拜托,别又提这个 而且对环境有害 |
[18:55] | It’s expensive. It’s the mother of all panders. | 拜托,别又提这个 而且对环境有害 所费不咨 这是昧著良心骗选票的极致 |
[18:58] | After antagonizing New Hampshire, we’re gonna do the same thing here? | 所费不咨 这是昧著良心骗选票的极致 在新罕布夏唱反调之后 我们到爱荷华来还要再搞一次? |
[19:01] | – Transportation and storage are difficult. – Is this the insult-and-injury tour? | 运输和贮存都不容易 这是个受辱兼受伤之旅吗? |
[19:05] | We going to North Dakota next, tell them South Dakota has a cooler name? | 我们下次到北达科塔 要说南达科塔这名字比较酷? |
[19:09] | Farm subsidies began as a way to help farmers in the Depression. | 农业补助原是大萧条时期 帮助农民的措施 |
[19:13] | It’s out-of-date. It’s corporate welfare. | 老早就不合时宜了 现在变成图利大财团了 |
[19:15] | Don’t you wanna get votes in one of these states? | 老早就不合时宜了 现在变成图利大财团了 你不想在这些州拿到选票吗? |
[19:21] | Hey, 75 percent of the money goes to the richest 10 percent… | 百分之75的钱都给了 排在前百分之十最有钱的美国农夫 |
[19:24] | …of American farmers. We’re talking about writing six-figure checks… | 我们说的是一张张六位数的支票 |
[19:28] | …to Chevron, the John Hancock Insurance Company, NBA stars. | 都给了大财团和美国职篮球星 |
[19:32] | Repeat after me: “Family farming is a precious way of life… | 跟我念一遍 〝家庭农业是我国最珍贵的资产 |
[19:35] | …in this country, and we’ll do everything we can to protect it. “ | 我们会尽一切努力去保护〞 |
[19:39] | I’m Matt Santos. I’m running for president. | 我是麦特山多斯 我要参选总统 |
[19:41] | Come inside, we’ll talk about how we can make America stronger. | 我是麦特山多斯 我要参选总统 一起进来 我们谈谈如何让美国更加茁壮 |
[19:45] | I wanna look at the ethanol speech… | 我要看一下乙醇的演讲稿 |
[19:47] | – No. – As soon as we get back on the bus. | 我要看一下乙醇的演讲稿 不行 我们上巴士就拿给我 |
[19:49] | – It’s not gonna happen. – Is he doing it again? | 不行 我们上巴士就拿给我 你别想 他又来了? |
[19:54] | About immigration, we need to tighten our borders. | (何尼斯、罗素、山多斯) 有关移民的问题 我们要加强边境的管制 |
[19:56] | – That’s fine. – Maybe we should find… | 有关移民的问题 我们要加强边境的管制 那没问题 或许我们应该… |
[19:58] | …some hungrier volunteers. | 那没问题 或许我们应该… 多找一些肚子饿的志工 |
[20:00] | – He’s not talking ethanol, is he? – Immigration. | 多找一些肚子饿的志工 他不谈乙醇,对不对? 移民政策 |
[20:04] | Great. He proposing opening the border and pelting them with surplus corn? | 很好,他提议把边境打开 然后喂他们吃多余的玉米 |
[20:08] | Something about foreign nationals serving in the military… | 有关外国人从军… |
[20:11] | – …without being given citizenship. – God. | 却没有给予美国国籍 我的天 |
[20:13] | They defend our country, but they can’t be citizens… | 却没有给予美国国籍 我的天 他们保护我们的国家 |
[20:16] | – …until they’re discharged? – You’re Hispanic. | 不到退伍拿不到美国籍? 你是西班牙裔 |
[20:18] | You talk immigration reform, people will think… | 不到退伍拿不到美国籍? 你是西班牙裔 你一谈起修正移民政策 |
[20:21] | – …you wanna throw open borders. – Not throw open… | 你一谈起修正移民政策 大家会认为你想把边界打开 不是打开,而是… |
[20:23] | …but make sense out of our immigration laws. | 大家会认为你想把边界打开 不是打开,而是… 让我们移民法更合理 |
[20:26] | You know, the ethanol subsidy is a joke. | 让我们移民法更合理 你知道乙醇补助案是个笑话 |
[20:28] | It’s in the Oxford English Dictionary under “pandering. “ | 你知道乙醇补助案是个笑话 在《牛津字典里》 放在〝拉皮条〞这个字下面 |
[20:31] | Maybe voters will respect us for telling the truth. | 或许选民会因为我们 说实话而尊敬我们 |
[20:34] | That because ethanol isn’t perfect, they have to send their kids… | 或许选民会因为我们 说实话而尊敬我们 就因为乙醇不够完美 所以他们就得被迫把孩子送到… |
[20:37] | …to community college, and we’ll yank millions out of the local economy? | 社区大学,我们还要从 地方经济抽走数百万元 |
[20:41] | But it’s up to us to explain that it’s gonna hurt them… | 要靠我们去解释 这不会伤到他们… |
[20:44] | …that we’re essentially paying for make-work jobs. | 我们会补助实际有生产的工作 |
[20:47] | That can’t be what they want. | 我们会补助实际有生产的工作 这不会是他们想要的 |
[20:48] | Explain it after someone’s actually elected us to something, okay? | 这不会是他们想要的 等我们选上个什么 再跟他们解释,好吗? |
[20:54] | I’m not going to a Brown and Black debate… | (格兰福特) 我不想在〝黑棕大辩论〞上 |
[20:56] | …and only talk about economics. I’ll look ridiculous. | 我不想在〝黑棕大辩论〞上 光谈经济议题 这样我会很难看 |
[20:59] | Lack of opportunity is the root of our divisions. | 我们的隔阂就在于机会不均 |
[21:01] | We need to lower the deficit, lower interest rates… | 我们的隔阂就在于机会不均 我们要减少财政赤字,降低利率… |
[21:04] | …and create private-sector jobs. | 我们要减少财政赤字,降低利率… 还要创造民间企业的工作机会 |
[21:06] | We need to raise educational standards… | 还要创造民间企业的工作机会 我们要提高教育的标准… |
[21:08] | …and equip Americans for the new economy. | 我们要提高教育的标准… 让美国人面对新的经济体系 |
[21:10] | Russell and Hoynes will say that. | 让美国人面对新的经济体系 罗素和何尼斯会这么说 |
[21:12] | You’re steering me to middle-of-the-road positions… | 罗素和何尼斯会这么说 你把我放在进退两难的位置 |
[21:15] | – …that appeal to C-SPAN viewers. – All six of them… | 你把我放在进退两难的位置 讨好国会频道的观众 对,他们六个人… |
[21:17] | …who’ll be watching the debate, yeah. | 讨好国会频道的观众 对,他们六个人… 全都会一起看这场辩论 老天保佑他们 |
[21:19] | Want me to talk about economic problems in minority communities? | 全都会一起看这场辩论 老天保佑他们 要不要谈到少数族群的经济问题? |
[21:23] | Yeah, I really do. | 当然要 我来谈生长在贫穷,没有父亲的 少数族群孩子的问题… |
[21:24] | Okay. How about the fact that minority kids… | 当然要 我来谈生长在贫穷,没有父亲的 少数族群孩子的问题… |
[21:26] | …are five times more likely to grow up poor and fatherless? | 我来谈生长在贫穷,没有父亲的 少数族群孩子的问题… 是其他孩子的五倍 |
[21:30] | – You know you can’t go there. – I’m serious. | 你知道你不能提这个 我是认真的 |
[21:32] | Kids who grow up fatherless are more likely… | 没有父亲的孩子,更容易… |
[21:35] | …to suffer emotional consequences and twice as likely… | 没有父亲的孩子,更容易… 在情绪上受到冲击 步入歧途的可能… |
[21:38] | – …to engage in criminal activities. – We need to challenge Hoynes… | 是一般人的两倍 我们要挑战的是何尼斯… |
[21:41] | …not fringe candidates. | 不是像艾特金那种无厘头的候选人 |
[21:43] | We reformed welfare to require women to work. | 我们改变福利制度 要求妇女外出工作 |
[21:45] | When they can find a job. We haven’t done much… | 如果她们真能找到工作 我们又无法帮忙她们… |
[21:48] | …to force deadbeat dads to pay support. | 逼迫那些不负责人的父亲 付出孩子的抚养费用 |
[21:50] | You know less than a quarter of Latino kids grow up without fathers. | 逼迫那些不负责人的父亲 付出孩子的抚养费用 你明知道只有不到四分之一的 拉丁裔生长在没有父亲的环境 |
[21:54] | It’s nearly half of African-American children. | 而非洲裔的孩子却是几乎一半都是 |
[21:56] | I don’t care if it’s three Bosnians, an Armenian… | 我才不管当场是有三个波士尼亚人 一个亚美尼亚人… |
[21:59] | …and a bus full of party clowns. It’s a huge economic problem, Josh. | 还一堆疯子 这是个严重的经济问题,乔西 |
[22:03] | It’s gonna look like you’re lecturing African-Americans. | 这会看起来像是 你在教训非洲裔的美国人 |
[22:06] | Oh, so if I’m president, I can only use the bully pulpit to talk to Latinos? | 所以,如果我当上总统 我只能对拉丁裔人民训话? |
[22:10] | What, does my State of the Union only run on Telemundo too? | 那我的国情咨文也只能在 拉丁电视台播吗? |
[22:13] | No. Tell me right now. What’s gonna help everyone, broadly? | 你现在就告诉我 怎样才能帮助普罗大众? |
[22:16] | Make a difference across all the races? | 不分种族的做真正的改变? |
[22:19] | Values issues are important too, Josh. | 价值观也很重要,乔西 |
[22:22] | And supporting ethanol’s a mistake. I wanna see that speech. | 支持乙醇案是愚蠢的 我要看演讲稿 |
[22:32] | This is a small plane. | 这是个小飞机 |
[22:34] | Don’t like small planes? | 你不喜欢小飞机? |
[22:36] | Buddy Holly small. Big Bopper small. | 你不喜欢小飞机? 巴迪贺利坐的是小飞机 大巴普也是坐小飞机 |
[22:39] | Jiles Perry Richardson. | 杰尔裴利里查森 |
[22:41] | Bopper’s real name. Ritchie Valens too. All went down right here in Iowa. | 杰尔裴利里查森 是巴普的本名,还有瑞奇瓦伦斯 都是在爱荷华坠机的 |
[22:55] | – Where’s the congressman? – Up front. | 众议员在哪里? 前面 |
[22:58] | – Up front? – He can’t exactly fly it from back here. | 前面? 坐在后面就不能开飞机了 |
[23:02] | Everybody set? | 大家都准备好了吗? |
[23:04] | You might wanna buckle up, Josh. | 大家都准备好了吗? 乔西,最好把安全带系上 |
[23:06] | I don’t think I’ll ever get tired of doing barrel rolls. | 乔西,最好把安全带系上 我想我永远不会玩腻倒转翻滚 (杰佛森牛棚) (康索布拉夫,爱荷华) |
[23:23] | “Ethanol is good for our economy, good for our environment. | 〝乙醇可以帮助经济成长 而且十分环保 |
[23:27] | Should be at the heart of our energy strategy. “ | 应该作为我们能源策略的主轴〞 |
[23:30] | We’ve lost 850,000 jobs to foreign oil. Ethanol’s created 150,000. | 应该作为我们能源策略的主轴〞 我们因外国油丢掉了85万个工作 而乙醇可以创造15万个 |
[23:34] | Think of it as a Midwestern jobs program. | 就把这当作是中西部就业计划 |
[23:37] | “As president, I will ensure that by the year 2020… | 〝当上总统之后,我保证 到2020年… |
[23:40] | … 10 percent of all motor fuels will come from renewable sources… | 一成的汽车用燃料将来自 再生资源,像是乙醇〞 |
[23:44] | – …like ethanol. ” – Four lines at the top of the speech. | 这就是讲稿的前四句 |
[23:47] | – Think of it as a trip to the dentist. – I’m a good flosser. | 就当作是去看牙医 我是惯用牙线的人 |
[23:50] | – Honey, how you doing? – Good. | 亲爱的,妳还好吗? 很好 |
[23:52] | – Peter’s better. – Great. | 亲爱的,妳还好吗? 很好 彼得好多了 太好了 |
[23:53] | Ronna, do we know who’s been here? | 彼得好多了 太好了 洛娜,有谁来过了? |
[23:55] | Hoynes this morning. Russell about an hour ago. | 洛娜,有谁来过了? 何尼斯是今天早上 罗素大约一个小时之前 |
[23:59] | All right. You know, I’m not gonna do this. Any of it. | 好了,你知道我不会 照这个说,完全不会 |
[24:02] | I’m gonna tell the truth. We have to help farmers in the tough years… | 我要进去说实话 我们要在困难的时期帮助农民 |
[24:06] | …and reform the system so we can target those who really need it. | 并改变这个体系 这样才能帮助到真正需要的人 |
[24:10] | Not agribusinesses and multimillionaires. | 不再有大型的财团农业 和少数的百万富翁 |
[24:12] | You walk out on that stage and come out against ethanol, you are dead meat. | 不再有大型的财团农业 和少数的百万富翁 要是你上台说出反对乙醇的话 你必死无疑 |
[24:16] | Bambi would have a better shot getting elected to the NRA… | 小鹿班比在全国步枪协会里 当选主席的机会 |
[24:19] | …than you’ll have of getting a vote here. | 比你在这个初选得到 一张选票的机率还高 |
[24:22] | Let him say what he wants. He’s right. | 比你在这个初选得到 一张选票的机率还高 就让他说他想说的 他是对的 |
[24:24] | – No, he’s not. – You want me to support something… | 就让他说他想说的 他是对的 不,他不是 你要我去支持一个… |
[24:27] | …I know to be lousy policy and a colossal waste of taxpayers’ money… | 我认为糟糕的政策 而且还会浪费许多纳税人的钱 |
[24:31] | …to round up votes for a caucus I can’t possibly win. | 只为了要在这个我铁定 赢不了的初选中抢选票 |
[24:34] | I want you to support a policy that helps people… | 我要你支持这个 可以帮助大家的政策 |
[24:37] | …so that when you are sworn in as president… | 只为了要在这个我铁定 赢不了的初选中抢选票 等到明年你宣示成为总统时… |
[24:40] | …you can make the changes we both know need to be made. | 你可以进行我们都认为需要的改变 |
[24:47] | I’m ready. | 我准备好了 |
[24:50] | Matt? | 麦特? |
[24:53] | Take the pledge. | 说出你的保证 |
[24:55] | Ladies and gentlemen, Congressman Matthew Santos. | 说出你的保证 各位先生女士 让我们欢迎众议员麦修山多斯 |
[25:09] | Oh, thank you. Thank you very much for that warm welcome. | 谢谢,谢谢大家热烈的欢迎 (乙醇可以帮助经济成长 而且十分环保) |
[25:24] | Ethanol… | 乙醇… |
[25:27] | …is good for our economy… | 可以帮助经济成长 |
[25:29] | …good for our environment and should be at the heart of our energy strategy. | 可以帮助经济成长 而且十分环保 应该作为我们能源策略的主轴 |
[25:36] | As president, I will ensure that by the year 2020… | 当上总统之后,我保证 到2020年… |
[25:40] | … 10 percent of all motor fuels come from renewable resources… | 一成的汽车用燃料将来自再生资源 |
[25:46] | …like ethanol. | 像是乙醇 |
[25:50] | Ladies and gentlemen, I’m here to talk about the steps… | 各位女士先生 我今天在这里要说明… |
[25:53] | …that we must take…. | 我们一定要采取的步骤… |
[26:00] | – Yeah? – Good morning, sir. It’s 5:45. | |
[26:03] | – Great. Thank you. – You’re welcome. | 哪位? 早安,长官,5点45分了 好,谢谢 不客气 |
[26:17] | …Carly Farkula, a 22-year-old Turkish woman… | 22岁的土耳其女性 卡莉法库拉… |
[26:20] | …who was sexually involved with a coworker… | 因与同事发生性行为… |
[26:23] | …was convicted of adultery this morning. | 今晨被判通奸罪成立 |
[26:25] | Leaders are expressing concern that the country’s laws… | 各国领袖均担心,这项新法… |
[26:28] | …might be moving closer to Islamic law. | 将会使该国的法律 更加趋向回教律法 |
[26:31] | Meanwhile, Bartlet administration officials stressed… | 将会使该国的法律 更加趋向回教律法 在此同时,巴特勒政府强调… |
[26:33] | …that while they’re saddened by Turkey’s decision… | 虽然对土耳其政府允许 |
[26:36] | …to allow the execution to go forward… | 虽然对土耳其政府允许 这样的判决成立,表示遗憾… |
[26:39] | Speech on tax reform at General Mills, then a meet-and-greet with managers. | 这样的判决成立,表示遗憾… 在食品工厂发表税制改革演说 然后和公司高层见面 |
[26:43] | Talk about improving the business climate. | 讨论改善商业风气 |
[26:45] | – We have talking points on the tax plan? – Yeah. | 讨论改善商业风气 我们在税务计划上有重点吗? 有 |
[26:48] | Okay, 11:00 rally at the Mid-America Center. | 好,11点在中美购物中心 有造势活动 |
[26:51] | Followed by a lunch for John Schofield. | 好,11点在中美购物中心 有造势活动 接著是和约翰萧菲德午餐 |
[26:53] | – Thought we said no. – Party’s behind him. | 接著是和约翰萧菲德午餐 我以为已经回绝了 他有党的支持 |
[26:55] | – They’re trying to unseat Lockman. – We have a couple house stops… | 我以为已经回绝了 他有党的支持 他们想把拉克曼拉下来 我们接去拜访几个家庭… |
[26:59] | …then on to Hamburg Inn #2. | 然后就到汉堡旅社二号 |
[27:01] | – That the place with the beans? – Great pie too. | 然后就到汉堡旅社二号 就是那个用豆子投票的地方? 他们的派也很棒 |
[27:03] | Finally tonight, the Iowa Corn Growers Association. | 就是那个用豆子投票的地方? 他们的派也很棒 最后,今晚是爱荷华 玉米农民协会 |
[27:10] | It suddenly get quiet in here? | 怎么突然安静下来? |
[27:13] | – Do we have that new direct-mail piece? – I took out 17 exclamation points. | 怎么突然安静下来? 我们直接邮寄的宣传稿弄好了吗? 我拿掉了17个惊叹号 |
[27:17] | Here. Fewer words, more pictures. | 这里,字少一点,图片多一点 |
[27:19] | Can we get any mileage out of Bartlet and Turkey? | 这里,字少一点,图片多一点 我们在巴特勒和土耳其这件事 有运作的空间吗? |
[27:21] | I don’t see how. He criticized the decision… | 我们在巴特勒和土耳其这件事 有运作的空间吗? 我看不出来 他一方面批评这项判决… |
[27:24] | …while reaffirming commitment to regional autonomy. | 我看不出来 他一方面批评这项判决… 另一方面又重申尊重地区自治 |
[27:27] | It’d be a way to remind caucus-goers of your foreign-policy experience. | 另一方面又重申尊重地区自治 可以借机向关心初选的民众 提及你的外交经验 |
[27:31] | You wanna remind them of that experience? | 你要我告诉他们我的外交经验? |
[27:33] | Might get their minds off ethanol and abortion. | 你要我告诉他们我的外交经验? 可以转移乙醇和堕胎的焦点 |
[27:35] | Bringing them with me to a DMZ wouldn’t take their minds off that. | 可以转移乙醇和堕胎的焦点 即使我把他们带到非军事区 他们也不会忘记乙醇和堕胎 |
[27:39] | Okay, everybody. That’s it. | 好了,到此为止 |
[27:44] | Got the new financial report. | 刚拿到新的财务报告 |
[27:46] | – We’re up 6 million. – A lot of money. | 刚拿到新的财务报告 我们又多了六百万 不是个小数目 |
[27:49] | All we need is people willing to vote for you. | 我们只需要让大家愿意投票给你 |
[27:52] | Bob, you got crumbs all… Oh, great. | 我们只需要让大家愿意投票给你 巴柏,你看你吃的满地… 这下好了 |
[27:54] | Now if I want a snack, I reach into the carpet. | 巴柏,你看你吃的满地… 这下好了 现在我想吃零食 就直接从地毯里捡好了 |
[27:57] | – You tell him? – Tell me what? | 现在我想吃零食 就直接从地毯里捡好了 你告诉他了吗? 告诉我什么? |
[27:59] | About the new field poll. You’re at 5 percent. | 你告诉他了吗? 告诉我什么? 最新的民调,你是百分之五 |
[28:02] | – So I’m up a little. – Half a point. | 最新的民调,你是百分之五 所以我上升了一些 半个百分点 |
[28:04] | Dumped 2 million bucks into Iowa, and you are up a half. | 所以我上升了一些 半个百分点 在爱荷华砸下二百万 就赚到半个百分点 |
[28:07] | Ten million, I can get you double digits. You’ll have to do it. | 再多给我一千万,保证你两位数 你非这么做不可 |
[28:10] | – I’m not having this conversation. – Sheila, tell him. | 我不跟你谈这个 席拉,告诉他 |
[28:13] | Stop it. | 我不跟你谈这个 席拉,告诉他 别说了 |
[28:14] | She’s been doing all her own talking since she turned 35. | 别说了 她从35岁之后就一个人说个没完 |
[28:17] | Why don’t we talk about this in the car. | 我们何不到车上再谈 |
[28:20] | I never thought we should commit resources here. | 我从不认为应该在这里 承诺任何资源 |
[28:23] | We can’t just thumb our noses at Iowa. | 我从不认为应该在这里 承诺任何资源 我们不能在爱荷华表现出 一副很跩的样子 |
[28:25] | Let Allard clean up and take the momentum into New Hampshire? | 我们不能在爱荷华表现出 一副很跩的样子 然后让奥拉德抢尽锋头 带著这股气势到新罕布夏去 |
[28:28] | This is about rural voters. A Republican can’t win without the farm belt. | 农村选民最重要 共和党没有农民的支持是赢不了的 |
[28:32] | You want me to spend the day in overalls talking about soybean prices? | 你要我花一整天谈论大豆价格? |
[28:36] | You know that’s not what we’re talking about. | 你知道我说的不是这个 |
[28:39] | Farmers in America don’t wanna get paid in the mailbox. | 你知道我说的不是这个 美国农民不希望靠领福利金过日子 |
[28:41] | – They wanna be paid in the marketplace. – I wrote that. | 他们要靠自己的作物养活自己 那是我写的 |
[28:44] | People know where I stand. They may not like it, but they know I’ll stick to it. | 他们要靠自己的作物养活自己 那是我写的 大家都知道我的立场 可能不赞同,但都知道我很坚持 |
[28:48] | This is issue one, two and three here. | 这是主要议题一到三 |
[28:50] | – I’m not a panderer. – It’s unavoidable. | 这是主要议题一到三 我不是个骗选票的人 这是不能避免的 |
[28:52] | It’s the non-panderer’s pander. General Patton would pander on ethanol. | 我不是个骗选票的人 这是不能避免的 这不是恶意的骗取选票 即使巴顿将军也会在乙醇议题低头 |
[28:57] | Et tu, Brute? | 你也赞同吗? |
[28:59] | Bartlet’s economic policies simply aren’t working. | 你也赞同吗? 巴特勒的经济政策完全不管用 |
[29:03] | In small towns and rural communities across America… | 从小城镇和偏远社区 横跨美国各地 |
[29:08] | …our lifestyle and values are under siege. | 我们的生活和价值观 都面临严苛的考验 |
[29:11] | The trade deficit’s at record levels. | 贸易逆差是历史新高 |
[29:14] | Corn is down 3 cents a bushel. Soybeans are down 12 cents. | 玉米的价格掉到一蒲式耳三分钱 而大豆则是12分 |
[29:18] | Isn’t the deficit due to NAFTA as much as anything else? | 这些亏损不都是 北美自由贸易协定的错? |
[29:21] | Trade creates jobs. Period. | 一句话,贸易创造工作机会 |
[29:23] | One-third of Iowa’s agricultural product goes overseas. | 一句话,贸易创造工作机会 爱荷华三分之一的农产品销往国外 |
[29:28] | We need more programs like the Freedom to Farm legislation… | 我们需要更多的法案 向我所支持的自由农场法案 |
[29:31] | – …that I sponsored. – Here we call it Freedom to Foreclose. | 在这里我们称为自由独占权 |
[29:35] | That’s clever, but it’s not very accurate. | 这样讲很高明,但并不完全正确 |
[29:37] | Do you think that farmers should decide what they get to plant? | 这样讲很高明,但并不完全正确 你认为农夫们应该 自己决定要种什么? |
[29:40] | Or should that be left to some bureaucrat in Washington? | 还是应该听从华府的官僚体系? |
[29:43] | You know, too often you’re forced to farm the subsidy… | 你们常被迫为了补助而种植作物 |
[29:47] | …instead of the market. | 而不是为了市场需求而种 |
[29:49] | We could use the study by the ethanol institute. | 而不是为了市场需求而种 我们应该采用乙醇研究所的资料 |
[29:51] | I wonder who footed the bill for that. | 我们应该采用乙醇研究所的资料 不知道是谁提倡这个法案的 |
[29:53] | It says when you put 10 percent ethanol in every gas tank in America… | 不知道是谁提倡这个法案的 这里说,当你在每辆美国车的油箱里 放入百分之十的乙醇 |
[29:57] | …we can reduce worldwide oil demand by 2 percent. | 我们可以减少百分之二的用油 |
[29:59] | First, we can’t produce that much ethanol. | 我们可以减少百分之二的用油 第一,我们生产不出这么多乙醇 |
[30:02] | Second, using it as an additive allows the oil companies… | 第一,我们生产不出这么多乙醇 第二,有了这些添加物 石油公司会增加辛烷的量 |
[30:05] | …to pump up octane levels and sell more premium gas to SUVs. | 卖更多高级汽油给休旅车用 |
[30:09] | – We’re trying… – Years ago, I called it highway robbery. | 参议员,我们正试著… 过去我们称之为公路抢劫 |
[30:12] | Now I’m supposed to hand out ski masks, guns and paper bags? | 现在我还要帮忙发送 滑雪帽、枪、和纸袋? |
[30:15] | Forget the subsidy argument. You said a hundred times… | 先不要争论补助的事情 你自己说过好几百次… |
[30:18] | …reducing dependence on foreign oil is a national security issue. | 降低对外国油品的依靠 是国家安全的议题 |
[30:21] | – We fold ethanol into that. – The only problem is it’s not true. | 我们把乙醇也塞进去 唯一的问题是这不是真的 |
[30:25] | Making a gallon of ethanol takes almost a gallon of oil. | 生产一加仑的乙醇 几乎要用掉一加仑的汽油 |
[30:28] | That’s like saying using tonic water as an additive reduces our demand for gin. | 就像是用汤尼水当作添加物 来减少琴酒的用量 |
[30:32] | Listen, I need to catch Valerie after school. | 听著,我要在薇乐莉 放学后联络到她 |
[30:34] | – I have to wish her a happy birthday. – Will you look at the report? | 听著,我要在薇乐莉 放学后联络到她 我要祝她生日快乐 你要不要看看这个乙醇报告? |
[30:38] | It’s a classic study of a stupid policy rammed down our throats… | 这是典型的由利益团体 |
[30:42] | …by special interests. It makes about as much sense… | 硬塞给我们看的烂政策 |
[30:44] | …as building patio furniture out of corn. | 就跟用玉米做庭院桌椅一样实际 |
[30:47] | But sure, I’ll take a look. | 不过,我一定会看看的 |
[30:50] | We need fewer regulations on small businesses. | 不过,我一定会看看的 我们要减少小型企业的管制 |
[30:52] | Small businesses like family farms. | 我们要减少小型企业的管制 小型企业就像家庭农业一样 |
[30:55] | We have to do something about lawsuits… | (文尼克) 我们得设法解决… |
[30:57] | …that jack up costs for small businesses… | 我们得设法解决… 小型企业因官司所增加的成本 |
[31:00] | …make it hard for them to afford to have insurance, capital investment… | 小型企业因官司所增加的成本 这让他们无力支付保险 增加资本额… |
[31:05] | You know, I’m for free trade, but shouldn’t it be fair trade? | 我赞成自由贸易 但为什么不能是公平贸易? |
[31:09] | Can we really compete with people earning a dollar a day? | 我们真的要跟 一天赚一块钱的竞争? |
[31:12] | Do we really want workers in Malaysia to be earning our minimum wage? | 我们真的希望让马来西亚的工人 赚和我们一样的最低工资? |
[31:17] | I mean, do you have any idea what real estate costs in Kuala Lumpur? | 你们知道吉隆坡的房价是多少? |
[31:21] | Trade lowers prices for Americans. | 贸易使得美国货品价格降低 |
[31:25] | How do you think they keep things so cheap over at Wal-Mart? | (路易斯安那发生化学品外泄) 你以为沃尔玛连锁店是怎么 把价格拉低的? |
[31:29] | It’s not just ethanol, you know? | 这不只是乙醇而已,你知道吗? |
[31:32] | These subsidies are what give us the corn glut. | 就是这些补助害我们玉米过剩 |
[31:35] | That’s why we make 20 million tons of corn sweetener a year. | 就是这些补助害我们玉米过剩 所以我们每年要生产 二千万顿的玉米糖浆 |
[31:41] | Average American eats or drinks 93 pounds of it. | 平均每个美国人吃掉或喝掉93磅 |
[31:43] | And we wonder why we have an obesity problem with kids. | 平均每个美国人吃掉或喝掉93磅 我们还想不通为何 我们的孩子都过胖 |
[31:48] | What would I have to say? | 妳要我说什么? |
[31:50] | You weren’t wrong as senator. Ethanol wasn’t in California’s interests. | 妳要我说什么? 你在国会议员任内没有错 乙醇政策对加州没有好处 |
[31:54] | As president, you do what’s right for the country. | 但身为总统 你必须为全国的利益打算 |
[31:56] | What did you expect? | 但身为总统 你必须为全国的利益打算 不然还能说什么? |
[31:58] | How about, “As senator, I pandered to Californians. | 不然还能说什么? 干脆这么说好了 〝参议员时,我骗了加州人的票〞 |
[32:01] | But as president, I plan to pander to every special interest group… | 〝不过,为了当上总统 我准备向任何利益团体低头 |
[32:05] | …who’ll get me elected. “ | 只要他们愿意让我当选〞 |
[32:10] | Bob have a speech drafted? | 巴柏把讲稿写好了吗? |
[32:12] | – You wanna read it? – No, not especially. | 巴柏把讲稿写好了吗? 你要看一下吗? 不太想 |
[32:14] | You know, if Iowa weren’t first, if it were third, you know what it’d be? | 只要他们愿意让我当选〞 你要看一下吗? 不太想 如果不是在爱荷华办第一个初选 若移到第三,那第一个会在哪里? |
[32:19] | South Dakota primary. | 南达科塔初选 (杰佛森牛棚) (康索布拉夫,爱荷华) |
[32:35] | Senator Vinick, any thoughts on today’s train derailment? | 文尼克参议员 你对火车出轨的事有何看法? |
[32:43] | – He gonna do it? – No. | 他会照做? 不会 |
[32:45] | Hello? Senator, your granddaughter. | 他会照做? 不会 那位?参议员,你的孙女 |
[32:56] | Well, Mantovani I’m not. | 不,我才没有 |
[32:59] | No… | 没有… |
[33:01] | No, of course I didn’t forget. | 没有… 我怎么会忘记 |
[33:04] | Well, it’s cold. It started snowing. | 我怎么会忘记 有点冷,开始下雪了 |
[33:06] | Okay, you go back to your friends. I love you too. | 有点冷,开始下雪了 回去跟朋友玩 我也爱妳 |
[33:10] | Happy birthday, pumpkin. | 生日快乐,小甜心 |
[33:14] | Have that Profiles in Spinelessness speech of yours? | 你那个〝超级没骨气〞演讲稿呢? |
[33:17] | It’s on the prompters. | 都放上提词投影机了 |
[33:19] | You ready, senator? | 都放上提词投影机了 准备好了吗?参议员 |
[33:26] | I missed my kids’ birthdays. Now I’m doing it with the grandkids. | 我错过太多我孩子的生日 现在连我的孙女也错过了 |
[33:29] | Ladies and gentlemen, Senator Arnold Vinick. | 各位女士先生 欢迎参议员阿诺文尼克 |
[33:44] | As many of you are aware… | 大家可能都知道… |
[33:47] | …in the past I haven’t been a big supporter of ethanol subsidies. | 过去我并不支持乙醇补助案 (身为加州参议员 我并不相信乙醇) |
[34:07] | I know what you wanna hear. | 我知道你们都想听什么 |
[34:09] | Telling people what they wanna hear is the easiest thing to do in politics. | 我知道你们都想听什么 在政治圈,说别人想听的话 是世上最容易做的事 |
[34:14] | But that’s not why I’m here. That’s not why I’m running for president. | 这不是我在这里的目的 这不是我参选总统的目的 |
[34:18] | I know that the ethanol subsidies have been good for some of you. | 我知道乙醇补助案 对你们很有帮助 |
[34:21] | But mostly, it’s a windfall for huge conglomerates. | 但结果都是大财团得利 |
[34:26] | I’m embarrassed by it, and I think you should be too. | 我觉得很丢脸 我想你们也会跟我一样 |
[34:30] | I know what you’re up against. | 我知道你们要面对什么挑战 |
[34:32] | I grew up in a citrus-farming community in California…. | 我知道你们要面对什么挑战 我在加州的柑橘农场长大 |
[34:36] | I’m here to tell you the straight truth. | 我在这里告诉你们实话 |
[34:40] | If you elect me president… | (星期三,晚上10点25分) 如果你们选我为总统… |
[34:43] | …ethanol subsidies are not gonna be a part of my agriculture policy. | 乙醇将不会列入我的农业政策 |
[34:47] | Senator Arnold Vinick surprised many people earlier today… | 参议员阿诺文尼克… 今晚稍早跌破众人眼镜… |
[34:50] | …by announcing to the Iowa Corn Growers… | 对著爱荷华的玉米农民宣布… |
[34:53] | You and the congressman finish dinner? | 对著爱荷华的玉米农民宣布… 妳和众议员用完晚餐了吗? |
[34:55] | At least one candidate gets to go home without feeling like he’s been mugged. | 妳和众议员用完晚餐了吗? 至少有一个候选人 回家后不会觉得被威胁了 |
[34:59] | He may have his wallet, but he’ll be down four points in the morning. | 他可能觉得心安 不过明天早上他会掉四点 |
[35:02] | Ned, would you mind excusing us for a minute? Thanks. | 耐德,可以出去一下吗?谢谢 |
[35:06] | See you. | 待会儿见 |
[35:08] | Josh, why are we even in Iowa? Shouldn’t we be focusing on Texas? | 待会儿见 乔西,我们为何会到爱荷华来? 我们的重点不是该放在德州和加州? |
[35:13] | California? Places where we might actually get some…. | 这些可以实际获得一些… |
[35:16] | What do you political professionals call them? Votes. | 你们的政治术语叫做什么? 对,选票 |
[35:19] | We’re letting people know there’s an alternative to Hoynes and Russell. | 我们让大家知道除了何尼斯 和罗素之外,还有另一个选择 |
[35:23] | Matt Santos. | 就是麦特山多斯 |
[35:24] | – Making sense, talking about ideas. – Making sense about ethanol? | 就是麦特山多斯 去说服选民,说出你的理念 去讨论有关乙醇的议题? |
[35:28] | It makes sense in Iowa, yeah. Russell’s a house of cards. | 在爱荷华是合理的事 罗素手上有很多牌 |
[35:31] | His support’s a mile wide and an inch deep. | 他的支持者满坑满谷 |
[35:34] | We can’t compete with him on endorsements or institutional support. | 他的支持者满坑满谷 我们不能靠机关团体的背书来赢他 |
[35:38] | But we don’t have to worry about Russell. Hoynes will take him down. | 我们不用担心罗素 何尼斯会把他打下来 |
[35:42] | This the Josh Lyman nine-point plan? | 这就是有名的乔西赖曼九点策略? |
[35:44] | Hoynes is smart. He has access to money. Plenty of chits he can call in. | 这就是有名的乔西赖曼九点策略? 何尼斯很聪明,资金很充足 可以拉到很多年轻人 |
[35:49] | Once Russell crumbles, his support will flow to Hoynes… | 一旦罗素倒了 他的支持者会转向何尼斯 |
[35:53] | …unless someone has established themself as not Hoynes. | 除非有人让自己看起来 和何尼斯完全不同 |
[35:58] | Not Hoynes? | 和何尼斯完全不同? |
[35:59] | There’s gonna be primary activists uncomfortable… | 和何尼斯完全不同? 一定会有一些初选选民 不认同像他这样有婚外情… |
[36:02] | …with an adulterous, moderate DLC Democrat. | 属于温和派的 领导委员会的民主党员 |
[36:04] | My God. You stay up nights thinking this stuff up? | 属于温和派的 领导委员会的民主党员 我的天,你整晚不睡 想的都是这些? |
[36:07] | It’s a living. | 我的天,你整晚不睡 想的都是这些? 我就靠这个吃饭 |
[36:13] | I’m going to bed. Don’t keep him up too late. He’s tired. | 我要去睡了,别把他拖太晚 他也累了 |
[36:17] | Good night, Josh. | 晚安,乔西 |
[36:22] | – Is it still snowing outside? – Supposed to clear in a couple hours. | 外面还在下雪? 再过几个小时应该就会停了 |
[36:25] | – We gonna change the schedule? – Not yet. | 我们要改变行程吗? 还没 |
[36:28] | – Josh. As I live and barely breathe. – Senator, how are you? | 我们要改变行程吗? 还没 乔西,我竟然还能活著看到你 参议员,你好吗? |
[36:32] | Well, aside from the dozen Republican farmers… | 除了有一堆共和党的农夫 |
[36:35] | …who tried to show me the business end of a Mr. Popcorn machine… | 除了有一堆共和党的农夫 追著我要我看爆米花机器的 商业计划之外… |
[36:38] | – …I’m fine. You know Sheila, Bob. – Hey. | 我很好,你认识席拉和巴柏 你们好 |
[36:42] | – You got some…. – That’s Bob’s way of packing a lunch. | 你有点… 这就是巴柏打包午餐的方法 |
[36:47] | Senator, Congressman Matt Santos. | 参议员,这位是 众议员麦特山多斯 |
[36:49] | – We’ve met. How are you, Matt? – I’m good, Arnie. You? | 参议员,这位是 众议员麦特山多斯 我们见过,你好吗?麦特 我很好,你呢?阿诺 |
[36:52] | We cosponsored a doomed immigration reform package a couple years ago. | 我们在几年前共同支持一项 失败的移民改革案 |
[36:56] | – We fought the good fight. – Still went down in flames. | 我们打了一场漂亮的仗 不过还是灰头土脸 |
[37:00] | We’re supposed to be driving back to Des Moines now, but…. | 我们要开车回德蒙了,不过… |
[37:03] | With the storm, we thought we’d eat and see if it clears up. | 看这场雪,我们就先在这里 吃点东西,等天气转好 |
[37:06] | – We could see if the kitchen’s open. – I’ll check it out. | 我们可以去看厨房是还否开著 我去看看 |
[37:09] | – I’ll get a table. – Sure. I’ll be right there. | 我去找张桌子 好,我马上过去 |
[37:13] | I read about that education plan you introduced in New Hampshire. | 我读过你在新罕布夏提出的 教育改革计划 |
[37:16] | That’s pretty gutsy stuff, taking on the teachers’ unions. | 是很大胆的想法 直接对抗教师公会 |
[37:20] | Well, I don’t think I’ll be elected president of my PTA right now, but…. | 我想我大概选不上家长会长… |
[37:24] | – I saw the ethanol speech. – That wasn’t gutsy… | 我看到你的乙醇演讲了 那不算大胆… |
[37:27] | …so much as suicidal. Or so my staff tells me. | 我看到你的乙醇演讲了 那不算大胆… 应该是自杀行为 我的幕僚都是这么告诉我的 |
[37:30] | – Mind if I sit? – No, please. | 我可以坐下吗? 当然,请坐 |
[37:33] | Russell and Hoynes have come after me on that already. | 罗素和何尼斯早就在 这上面攻击我了 |
[37:37] | – You lining up a shot for tomorrow? – I think I’ll just sit this one out. | 要不要一起加入明天的战局? 我想我在旁边看看就好 |
[37:41] | A 240-day school year, huh? | 一年上学240天? |
[37:44] | An end to teacher tenure. Nationalizing the system. | 取消教师终身职 将整个体系收归国有 |
[37:48] | Wanna hop on? I could use support. I’m taking a shellacking from my side. | 要一起来吗?我需要有人帮忙 我被打的很惨 |
[37:51] | I’m with you on the tenure. | 我赞成你对终身职的主张 |
[37:54] | But a longer, federally mandated school year? I don’t know. | 我赞成你对终身职的主张 不过,强制性的加长上课日数? 我不太确定 |
[37:57] | It sounds like another Washington power grab to me. | 我听起来像是 那种华府的官僚说法 |
[38:00] | – Here we go. – Why would we wanna wrest control… | 我听起来像是 那种华府的官僚说法 很好,开始了 我们为什么要对抗… |
[38:03] | …from local boards and parents who know more… | 比我们了解孩子们的 地方董事会和父母? |
[38:06] | – …about their kids than we do? – School boards and parents… | 学校董事会和父母… |
[38:09] | …aren’t making sure kids can compete in the marketplace. | 并不能确保孩子以后 在激烈就业市场上有竞争力 |
[38:12] | Wouldn’t be a Democrat plan if it didn’t involve taxes. | 如果不加税的话 可不像是民主党的主张 |
[38:15] | Maybe we should take apart every public school… | 或许我们该把所有的公立学校拆掉 一砖一瓦拍卖出去 |
[38:17] | …auction them off. Some things cost money, Arnie. | 有些事是需要用钱的,阿诺 |
[38:20] | Who’s gonna administer all this? The Department of Education? | 这要由谁来主导? 教育部吗? |
[38:24] | They did such a great job improving education in the last four decades. | 因为他们在过去40年把 把改善教育做的很好? |
[38:28] | Are you through embarrassing me in front of my staff? | 你在我幕僚前拆我的台 拆完了没? |
[38:31] | I’m not even close. | 还早呢 |
[38:33] | – When are you going to New Hampshire? – Tomorrow. | 还早呢 你什么时候要到新罕布夏去? 明天 |
[38:36] | What with my ethanol tantrum, I…. | 有了昨晚乙醇案的精彩演出… |
[38:39] | I suspect my work here is done. | 我想我没必要再留在这里了 |
[38:41] | I think I’ve managed to successfully drag my poll numbers… | 我想我没必要再留在这里了 我想我很顺利的把我的支持率 |
[38:45] | …below a pro hockey score, you know? | 拉的比曲棍球比数还少 |
[38:48] | – At least you still got a full set of teeth. – Yeah. | 至少你的牙齿都还在 对 |
[38:51] | My staff is very proud. | 我的幕僚都觉得很骄傲 |
[38:55] | Well, if they weren’t, I was. | 如果他们不觉得,我觉得 |
[38:58] | You’re not an ethanol fan? | 你不赞成乙醇? |
[39:01] | Not until today. | 你不赞成乙醇? 从今天开始赞成 |
[39:05] | Kitchen’s closed, but they’ll whip up a few eggs, some sandwiches. | 厨房关了 不过他们会做些蛋和三明治 |
[39:09] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[39:12] | What do you think they’re plotting over there? | 谢谢 你觉得他们在计划什么? |
[39:15] | If your day’s been anything like ours, I’d keep away the sharp cutlery. | 你觉得他们在计划什么? 如果你的日子像我们一样的话 我会尽量远离尖锐的刀叉 |
[39:19] | That was a bold move on the ethanol thing. | 那个乙醇演讲,很有勇气 |
[39:22] | That was all him. | 都是他自己的意思 |
[39:24] | You may lose, but you’ll mop up with the press. | 都是他自己的意思 你可能输掉民调 不过全国性媒体版面绝对抢第一 |
[39:27] | They’ll talk about how courageous your guy is. | 你可能输掉民调 不过全国性媒体版面绝对抢第一 他们都说你们老大很有种 |
[39:29] | From your lips to God’s ears. | 他们都说你们老大很有种 你要说给谁听? |
[39:32] | – What’d your guy do on ethanol? – He took the pledge. | 你要说给谁听? 你们家的乙醇政策如何? 他作出了保证 |
[39:36] | Republican field’s wide open. | 共和党的变数还很多 |
[39:37] | We’re just trying to find a way to stay in the game. | 共和党的变数还很多 我们尽量想办法不被排除在外 |
[41:15] | Our force is adequate to meet the needs… | 我们的武力绝对可以… |
[41:17] | …of the agreed-upon security arrangements, and all parties remain… | 我们的武力绝对可以… 应付我们所作的安全承诺 而且所有参与的… |
[42:33] | – Hello? – Good morning. | 哪位? 早安 |
[42:35] | This is your 5:45 a. m. wake-up call. | 哪位? 早安 这是您上午5点45分的起床电话 |
[42:39] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |