时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:05] | Previously on The West Wing: | |
[00:06] | – Interest in leaving the private sector? – Offering a job? | 有兴趣离开民营团体吗?? 妳要给我工作? |
[00:10] | – I’m gauging your interest. – A White House job. | 我在试探你的意愿 白宫的工作 |
[00:12] | – Don’t make me think about it too hard. – No, thanks. | 别逼我考虑清楚 不,谢了 |
[00:15] | – I need Charlie. – We’re working. | 我需要查理 我们在工作 |
[00:17] | I heard “Brad Pitt. ” You’re not working. | 我听到〝布莱德彼特〞 你们没在工作 |
[00:19] | The Family Leave Expansion. | 你知道家庭休假法吗?? |
[00:20] | – Hello. – Am I interrupting? | 拜托 我打扰到妳了吗?? |
[00:22] | You were in New Hampshire? | 你刚从新罕布夏回来? 对 |
[00:23] | This country was founded on freedom. Freedom stands opposed to constraints. | 这个国家是建立在自由之上 自由和限制是相反的 |
[00:27] | The bigger the government, the more the constraints. | 政府越大,限制越多 |
[00:30] | You agree with that? | 妳同意吗?? |
[00:31] | – No, it’s crap, but you’re really cute. – Yeah, I know. | 不,那是废话,不过你真的很可爱 对啊,我知道 |
[00:34] | You’re too good at this. You can’t just walk away. | 你太擅长这种事了 不能就这样离开 |
[00:37] | Watch me. | 你看著好了 剧名:美好的一天 |
[00:57] | Are you sure I can’t get you anything? | 你确定不要我帮你拿什么吗? |
[01:00] | No, thank you. | 不用了,谢谢妳 |
[01:01] | – I’m saying he needs a quiet news cycle. – What, and it’s my job to ensure that? | 他需要媒体的安静期 确保那是我的工作吗? |
[01:05] | – Pretty much. Is she…? – Go on in. | 没错,她有空吗? 请进去 |
[01:09] | Is the president ready for his press conference tomorrow? | 总统准备好明天的记者会了吗? |
[01:12] | Unless Congress cooks up more recipes for lame duck. | 除非国会想出更多跛鸭计划 |
[01:14] | Sorry about last week’s veto override. | 上星期的否决覆议很抱歉 |
[01:16] | I’m worried about this latest stunt. | 我对最新的花招感到担心 |
[01:18] | Today’s vote on stem cell funding. Where did that come from? | 今天是干细胞经费的表决 那是从哪里来的? |
[01:21] | The speaker wasn’t thrilled we found 55 million… | 议长对我们投入五千五百万 |
[01:24] | …in the HHS budget for stem cell research. | 在卫生福利部的干细胞研究预算 不是很高兴 |
[01:26] | Haffley’s introducing legislation to defund our program. | 海夫立要议会抽回我们的计划资金 |
[01:29] | – “Embryonic” is their fighting word. – Is funding limited to genetic material… | 〝胚胎〞是他们的争议字眼 经费是否限制在… |
[01:33] | – …being thrown away? – We have enough Republicans… | 基因废料的丢弃? 我们有足够的共和党 |
[01:36] | …to make it close. A dozen votes could decide. | 只要十二票就能决定胜负 |
[01:39] | The speaker saw an opening with Democrats out campaigning. | 民主党都在外竞选,是议长的机会 我已经动员了 |
[01:41] | I’ve been making calls all morning. Twenty Democrats are flying back. | 我一整个早上都在打电话 20个民主党要飞回来 |
[01:45] | In fact, I should… | 大多数都到了,事实上,我该… 快去! |
[01:46] | Go. The president doesn’t need any more bad news in the next 18 hours. | 总统在接下来18小时 不需要更多坏消息 |
[01:51] | – He needs a good day. – Count on it. | 他需要顺利的一天 一定会的 |
[01:54] | – Sorry. Did I miss it? – Got his marching orders. | 抱歉,我错过了吗? 收到他的命令了 |
[01:57] | – Been one of those days. – About tonight. | 又是这样的日子 关于今晚 |
[01:59] | Nobel laureates’ dinner. I brought my tux. | 诺贝尔奖得主的晚餐 我带了燕尾服 |
[02:01] | And dancing shoes? Latin jazz on tap? | 还有舞鞋,拉丁舞鞋带了吗? |
[02:03] | For those of us who are seated with the organometallic chemists… | 和有机金属化学家坐在一起 |
[02:06] | – …and run out of small talk by the soup. – I’m afraid you’ll miss the soup. | 喝汤时可能就没有话题可聊 你恐怕喝不了汤 |
[02:10] | – Future Leaders for Democracy. – Near future? Distant future? | 民主未来领袖 可见的未来?不可见的未来? |
[02:13] | – Middle schoolers, in fact. – Not that. I’m wall-to-wall today. | 事实上是中学生 别这样,我今天很忙 |
[02:17] | They won a commendation for some Internet voting thing. | 这些孩子很棒 他们赢了网路票选 |
[02:20] | – Give them 10 minutes. – My whole day’s been divvied up. | 给他们10分钟 我一整天都被切成小块 |
[02:22] | I never get to anything… | 我什么都做不成… |
[02:24] | They were bumped off the president’s schedule, bumped from mine. | 他们排不上总统的行程 也排不上我的 |
[02:27] | – They’re on yours for 6. – Why? | 他们六点找你 为什么 |
[02:29] | – It’s their last day in town. – I meant, why me? | 今天是他们在这最后一天 我是说,为什么是我 |
[02:31] | Because you’re so good with kids. | 因为你很会带小孩 |
[02:34] | – Congressman Santos. – Did I miss it? | 山多斯众议员 我错过了吗? |
[02:36] | Doing the rule right now. | 现在正在裁定 |
[02:38] | Sorry to cut it so close. Traffic from Dulles. | 抱歉来那么迟 杜勒斯机场沿路塞车 |
[02:41] | – Appreciate interrupting the campaign. – For stem cell? This one matters. | 感谢你中断竞选 为了干细胞?这很重要 |
[02:46] | One more vote. One vote arriving. | 多了一票,又来了一票 |
[02:51] | I saw the news crews. If you want a comment after…. | 我看到新闻媒体,如果你做些评论 |
[02:54] | Congrats on Arizona and New Mexico. | 请在恭喜亚历桑纳州 和新墨西哥州之后 |
[02:56] | Keeps us alive. Super Tuesday’s the real gauntlet. | 让我们有原动力 超级星期二是真正的关卡 |
[02:58] | We appreciate this detour and calling so many others out stumping for your guy. | 我们对你们的支持很感谢 和你打电话叫人回来 |
[03:03] | Three months of primary potshots… | 三个月的初选混战 |
[03:05] | …it’s a relief to see the Democrats pulling on the same oar… | 看到民主党合作令人松一口气 |
[03:08] | …working together to protect…. | 合作保护… |
[03:10] | Thought you were in Atlanta. | 我以为你在亚特兰大 |
[03:12] | White House asked the VP to pitch in. | 白宫请了副总统帮忙 |
[03:14] | – Important one. – Vice president can’t vote. | 这是很重要的 副总统无法投票 |
[03:16] | As a former House member, he retains lifetime floor privileges. | 身为前众议院的一员 他一生都享有议会特权 |
[03:20] | – He’s in there? – Whipping support for the president. | 他在里面吗? 对总统表示支持 |
[03:23] | As only a vice president can do. | 这只有副总统能做 |
[03:25] | – He’ll take questions on his way out. – You arranged the press? | 他出来的时候会回答问题 媒体是你发的吗? |
[03:28] | – I did. – Nice touch, unless we don’t win this. | 是我 做得好,除非我们没赢 |
[03:31] | – Sneak him out the back. – We have the votes. | 让他从后面溜掉 我们的选票都有了 |
[03:33] | It’d be great. It’s why we’re all here. A win for the president. | 这样很棒,这是我们来的目的 为总统赢一场 |
[03:37] | – Or not. – Son of a bitch. | 或输 该死! |
[03:40] | – What happened? – Nothing to do with democracy. | 发生了什么事? 和民主无关 |
[03:43] | – Now we can hit the road. – Why? | 现在我们可以出走了 为什么? |
[03:45] | Speaker saw how many Democrats were in town, did the math, pulled the vote. | 议长看到民主党回来的人数 撤回表决了 |
[03:49] | – He pulled the vote. – Game over. We’ve been had. | 他撤回表决 游戏结束,我们上当了 主演:施塔科钱宁 主演:杜希尔 主演:艾莉森詹尼 主演:约书亚马尼纳 主演:玛丽马科麦克 主演:珍妮尔摩隆奈 主演:里察薛福 主演:约翰史宾塞 主演:布雷迪威佛德 主演:吉米史密兹 主演:马丁辛 |
[04:40] | – Can I get you some tea? – Oh, no, thank you. | 可以帮你倒杯茶吗? 不,谢谢妳 |
[04:44] | I make a mean cup of ocha. | 我的绿茶泡得很好 |
[04:46] | – Perhaps I could proceed on my own. – She won’t be much longer. | 也许我该走了 她马上就好了 |
[04:51] | She’ll want the honor of escorting you herself. | 她应该会想要亲自送你出去 |
[04:56] | Jed. | 杰德 |
[05:02] | – I can come back. – No, no, stay, stay. | 我可以再回来 不…留下来… |
[05:04] | Jed, you have to use the cane. | 杰德,你得用拐杖 |
[05:06] | Doc said I didn’t have to use it at home. | 医生说我在家不需要 对吧,茜洁? |
[05:08] | I’m guessing he meant the residence, sir, not the entire White House. | 我想那是住所的意思 不是整个白宫 |
[05:12] | My home, where I’m having a party tonight with dancing. You ready? | 我家,今晚的舞会 妳准备好了吗? |
[05:15] | I’m the product of a ballroom class short on boys. Tall girls had to lead. | 我是标准舞缺男生的产物 高个子女生需要带舞 |
[05:19] | – Look how well it’s served you. – You’re in rare form today, sir. | 看它对你有多少好处 你今天的心情很特别 |
[05:22] | – He certainly is. – The speaker withdrew his bill… | 当然是的 议长撤销了… |
[05:25] | – …attacking stem cell research. – More good news. | 攻击干细胞研究议案 更多好消息 |
[05:27] | He’ll reschedule when our guys leave town. | 在我们的人离开后 他会重新安排时间 |
[05:30] | – That could be when? – Tomorrow, during… | 那会是什么时候 明天,在… |
[05:32] | – …your press conference. – Still, something to be said for MS. | 你的记者会 但是,也没多发性硬化症糟 |
[05:35] | – Good days, you don’t take for granted. – About tonight… | 今天不错,要好好珍惜 关于今晚… |
[05:38] | Nobel laureates, my favorite people. | 诺贝尔奖得主,我最喜欢的一群人 |
[05:40] | I wanted to ask you about Yosh Takahashi. | 我想要问你有关高桥义的事情 |
[05:45] | I assumed you weren’t close. | 我想你们并不亲近 |
[05:47] | I mean, I know he’s the economist you shared the Nobel with. | 我知道他是和你分享 诺贝尔奖的经济学家 |
[05:50] | – Not shared. Split. – Right. | 不是分享,是分得 是 |
[05:53] | Ours was not a shared prize for shared work. The prize was split. | 我们不是因为同一个研究分享奖项 是分别获得 |
[05:56] | That year, the Swedes chose to recognize two separate… | 那年,瑞士人选择表彰两个… |
[05:59] | …some would say divergent, even contradictory, efforts in the same field. | 该领域中不论相反或对立的 努力的人 |
[06:04] | He is a bit conservative. | 他有点保守 |
[06:06] | He makes Milton Friedman look middle-of-the-road. | 制片:艾莉亚提 |
[06:08] | Thank God he’s half a globe away. We don’t have to think about him tonight. | 他让米尔顿傅利曼看起来中庸 感谢天他在半个世界之外 今晚舞会不用考虑他 |
[06:13] | – That’s the thing. – Be gentle. I’m not a well man. | 那就是问题 小心点,我不是个健康的人 |
[06:15] | – Dr. Takahashi was invited. – He’s flying in from Kyoto? | 高桥博士受邀了 他是从京都飞来的吗? |
[06:19] | He’s a visiting scholar at the University of Chicago. | 他这学期是芝加哥大学的客座教授 |
[06:22] | – He’s crashing my party? – He’s here now… | 他要来我的派对捣乱吗? 他已经到了 |
[06:24] | …waiting to pay his respects. | 等著来打招呼 |
[06:29] | I got the message about babysitting your student group. | 制片:克里斯汀哈姆斯 安德鲁史登 我得到照顾你的学生团体的讯息 |
[06:32] | – Can’t stop. Running late. – You sure I’m the right fit? | 我不能停,我要迟到了 你觉得我适合吗? |
[06:35] | You’re perfect. I’ll stop in to say hello. | 妳是最完美的,我会过去打个招呼 |
[06:37] | I’ve got to review tapes for tomorrow’s press conference. | 我得为明天的记者会 看些录影资料 |
[06:40] | Why? You already said the president’s a natural. | 为什么,妳说过总统很有天赋 |
[06:43] | – I did? – Sounds like your schedule’s clear. | 我有吗? 听起来妳的时间可以了 |
[06:47] | Stay one more day. Haffley will reschedule this. | 多留一天,海夫立会重新安排时间 |
[06:50] | Not if we’re here. The speaker can delay the vote for as long as he wants. | 制片:麦可希斯瑞区 我们在这就不行 议长能无限延迟表决 |
[06:53] | Super Tuesday’s coming. I’m in a tight race. | 编剧:卡萝弗林特 超级星期二要到了 我的选情紧迫 |
[06:56] | So are plenty of Republicans. Give me another day. | 很多共和党也是 再给我一天吧 |
[06:58] | – Would if I could. That dog won’t hunt. – Keep your phones on. | 我很想,但那是没有用的 电话不要关掉 |
[07:01] | Don’t board any flights without talking to me first. | 导演:里察薛福 没和我讨论别挑起任何争议 |
[07:04] | – Nice try. – Mr. Speaker. | 想得美 议长先生 |
[07:06] | So Leg Affairs tougher than lobbying or just different? | 法制委员会是比游说强悍 还是各有神通 |
[07:09] | – You are dead meat. – It’s a good sign that in year seven… | 你完了 总统在位七年还叫得动人 |
[07:12] | – …the president can still rally the troops. – This won’t affect my serving. | 这是个好兆头… 对我的服务没有影响 |
[07:16] | – I’m gonna slaughter you tomorrow. – Save it for the court, dude. | 我明天将痛宰你 法庭上再说吧 |
[07:27] | Congressman, tell me you’re not leaving town. | 众议员,告诉我 说你没有要出城 |
[07:30] | I never leave town. | 我从不离开这里 |
[07:32] | And you have the president’s gratitude for your committed service. | 总统非常感谢你忠诚的服务 |
[07:35] | To be honest, I have some doubts about funding stem cell research. | 老实说 我对干细胞研究资金有疑问 |
[07:41] | Of course you do. | 你当然有 |
[07:45] | Yeah, I’m gonna miss those little peach things. | 对,我会想念那些小桃子的 |
[07:48] | Bring some to Cleveland for me. | 帮我带些来克利夫兰 |
[07:51] | Bye. Sorry about the vote. | 再见,我对表决感到抱歉 |
[07:55] | Strike one for stem cells? | 干细胞一好球了? |
[07:57] | Sometimes things are going so smoothly, you don’t see it coming… | 有时候事情进行得太顺利 你就看不到征兆 |
[08:00] | – …till they fall apart. – True. | 直到事情崩解 没错 |
[08:07] | You look changed. In a good way. | 妳变了,变好了 |
[08:11] | Congratulations on the job. | 恭喜你得到这份工作 |
[08:13] | May not be mine after today, but, you, onward and upward with Bingo Bob. | 今天之后可能就不是我的 但是妳会鹏程万里 |
[08:18] | Vice president would stay if he thought it would help. | 副总统如果觉得有帮助 就会留下来 |
[08:20] | – Thank him for the use of his office. – If Leg Affairs didn’t have this office… | 感谢他提供了办公室 如果法制委员会没有这里 |
[08:24] | – …where would you camp out? – I guess Josh worked out of here a lot. | 你们要去哪里? 我想乔西常在这里工作 |
[08:28] | – Back in the day. – We need to have dinner sometime… | 以前 我们得吃个晚餐 |
[08:32] | …so you can catch me up. | 让妳了解我的近况 |
[08:35] | I’ll be back after Super Tuesday. | 我在超级星期二以后回来 |
[08:38] | Good luck on it. | 祝妳幸运 |
[08:41] | The Kohasa rebels continue to arm conscripts from refugee camps… | 可哈沙叛军继续帮来自 难民营的征兵武装 |
[08:44] | …along the Angola border. | 在安哥拉边境 |
[08:47] | Under this contingency, we would mobilize near Llebo… | 在这种偶发事件中 我们将发动勒堡附近的军队 |
[08:50] | …where Intel reports stocks of munitions and RPGs. | 英特尔回报有大量的军火在那里 |
[08:53] | But we’re advocating wait and see. | 但是我们倡导静观其变 |
[08:55] | Then we’re done for now. | 那我们现在应该没事了 |
[08:58] | Unless you want an update on the Canada situation. | 除非妳想听 加拿大形势的最新情况 |
[09:01] | Right. Canada. Go on. | 对,加拿大,请说 |
[09:04] | As you know, tensions along the 49th parallel have been growing. | 如妳所知 北纬49度线的情况日渐紧张 |
[09:07] | – What’s their beef? – Good one. | 他们的牛肉是什么? 问得好 |
[09:10] | Our ban on live Canadian cattle exports is a catalyst… | 我们对加拿大牛只的禁令是催化剂 |
[09:13] | …but I wouldn’t reduce this to a simple mad-cow conflict. | 但是我不会将这缩小为 简单的狂牛症冲突 |
[09:16] | – I’ll avoid that. – Hostilities escalated dramatically… | 我会避免那样 敌意大幅度增加 |
[09:19] | …at the start of snow goose hunting. Certain Canadian ranchers posted… | 在雪雁狩猎季的开始 当然加拿大牧场经营者 |
[09:23] | – … “no trespass” signs on property. – Canadian property? | 在财产上立了〝禁止擅闯〞牌子 加拿大财产? |
[09:26] | Yes, but where their Montana neighbors had hunted quarry for generations. | 对,但是蒙大拿邻居 已在那狩猎了几个世代 |
[09:30] | – Are you from Interior? – Fish and Wildlife, ma’am. | 你来自内政部吗? 美国渔猎局,女士 |
[09:33] | While an American party was setting out decoys this morning… | 今早美国人在放诱饵的时候 |
[09:36] | …Canadians surrounded them. | 加拿大人包围了他们 |
[09:38] | It’s unclear whether Americans have been taken hostage. | 目前还不清楚美国人是受到攻击 还是已成为人质 |
[09:41] | – Hostage? – Well, that’s affirm. | 人质? 那是确定的 |
[09:43] | – Local law enforcement can’t…? – Before officials could respond… | 当地的执法机关无法… 在官方能做任何反应前 |
[09:46] | …one of the hunters, a retired Montana state trooper, called in backup. | 其中一个猎人,退休的蒙大拿州警 请求了支援 |
[09:50] | Off-duty officers responded, and they infiltrated… | 未执勤的警官做出回应 |
[09:53] | – …the swath demarking the border. – Shots been fired? | 他们渗透了边境 发生枪击? |
[09:56] | Yes, but there were geese in the air at the time. | 对,但是当时天空有鹅在飞 |
[10:00] | Do we even have a map of Canada? | 我们有加拿大的地图吗? |
[10:02] | Dr. Takahashi. | 高桥博士 |
[10:05] | Mr. President. Dr. Bartlet. | 总统先生,巴特勒博士 |
[10:09] | What a lovely surprise. | 真是个惊喜 |
[10:11] | Thank you for allowing me to say hello. | 谢谢你允许我来打招呼 |
[10:19] | I regret that I’m so busy today. | 抱歉我今天那么忙 |
[10:22] | But for an old friend…. These two met in grad school. | 但为了老朋友… 他们是在研究所认识的 |
[10:25] | – And we competed even then. – A fellowship you won, as I recall. | 我们那时候就在比较 我记得奖学金是你赢了 |
[10:30] | I was always the bookworm. | 我一直是个书呆子 |
[10:32] | – He was the politician. – I wasn’t. | 他是个政治家 我不是 |
[10:34] | A tenure track was all I aspired to back then. | 我那时想要的是终生教职 |
[10:37] | But his economics betrayed his true calling. | 但是他的经济学背叛了他的天职 |
[10:40] | – How so? – President of the welfare state. | 怎么说 福利国家的总统 |
[10:44] | The footnote to explain his theory. | 注释解释了他的想法 |
[10:47] | We’ll have an opportunity for more of this at dinner. | 我们晚餐时还有机会多谈这些 |
[10:50] | That, sir, would be a rational expectation. | 那该说是合理的期待 |
[10:53] | They’re setting tea in the other room. Would you join me? | 他们在另一个房间上茶 要和我一起来吗? |
[11:01] | – Well, he’s certainly a… – Smug son of a bitch. | 他绝对是个… 沾沾自喜的东西 |
[11:04] | – “Rational expectation. ” – What? | 〝合理的期待〞 什么? |
[11:06] | Territory he claims to have pioneered. | 他宣称是他开拓的疆土 |
[11:09] | Footnote, my ass. | 注释个鬼 |
[11:10] | – I don’t think he was… – As if his work would still be read if he… | 我不觉得他是… 好像他没教大学生 |
[11:14] | …hadn’t been assigning it to undergrads. | 还有人会看他的研究一样 |
[11:16] | All due respect, sir, you sit in this office. | 恕我冒犯,长官 你坐在这个位子上 |
[11:19] | You’re pretty much not allowed to harbor professional jealousies. | 你并不被允许怀有专业上的妒忌 |
[11:24] | He started it. | 是他开始的 |
[11:38] | – Congressman, you’re still here. – I got held up. | 众议员,你还在这里 我被耽搁了 |
[11:41] | – I know you’ve got a fundraiser tonight. – I’m on my way now. | 我知道你今晚有募款活动 我正要去 |
[11:44] | – Isn’t there any chance…? – Okay. Look unhappy. | 有任何机会吗? 好,摆臭脸 |
[11:47] | You see how I’m shaking my head, telling you, “No way”? | 你看到我在摇头吗? 告诉你〝不可能〞 |
[11:50] | – I do. Are you telling me the opposite? – I’m not sure yet. Don’t smile. | 我有,你在跟我说反话吗? 我还不确定,别笑 |
[11:54] | – Is it too much if I slump? – Careful. | 如果我垂头丧气会不会太刻意 小心 |
[11:57] | – So where can we talk? – My office, half an hour. | 我们可以在哪里谈话 我的办公室,半小时后 |
[12:01] | Look, I’m sorry. I’m really sorry. | 听著,对不起,我真的很抱歉 |
[12:10] | I hear you’re point man on the Saskatchewan incursion. | 我听说妳是 萨克其万省侵略的专任人员 |
[12:13] | You have the clearance to discuss this? | 你可以讨论这件事吗? |
[12:15] | Vice president’s on his way to Atlanta. He wanted me to weigh in. | 副总统在往亚特兰大途中 但他要我先做了解 |
[12:18] | – He has an interest. – Tell me this is a ruse to steal… | 他对此有兴趣 告诉我,这是… |
[12:21] | – …moments of my promising company. – He has an interest in the situation. | 偷时间的花招 副总统对状况有兴趣 |
[12:25] | – He’s a snow gooser. – More a stalker of the black bear. | 他喜欢猎雪雁 比较像黑熊的追踪者 |
[12:28] | Owns a hunting cabin north of Chinook. | 在北契努克有个猎房 |
[12:30] | Hunts with the governor. They spoke today. | 和蒙大拿州长一起狩猎 他们今天谈过话 |
[12:32] | He’d like to see this resolved bloodlessly. | 他希望在没有流血的情况下 解决这件事情 |
[12:34] | He’s more concerned we not back down, that we not appear weak. | 他比较希望我们不妥协 不表现出软弱 |
[12:37] | – We? – The United States. | 我们? 美国 |
[12:39] | There’s no we. It’s 15 drunks in camo. | 没什么〝我们〞 那不过是十五个酒醉闹事的人 |
[12:41] | – The vice president wants a hard line. – Lock out the NHL? | 副总统主张强硬 永远禁止全国曲棍球联盟? |
[12:44] | Maple syrup embargo? Turn off Niagara Falls? | 枫糖禁令?关闭尼加拉瀑布? |
[12:50] | I know you’re disappointed. | 我知道你们很失望 |
[12:51] | We understand that the president has other priorities. | 我们了解总统有其他考量 |
[12:54] | We were cool with Ms. Cregg as backup. | 如果是葛瑞小姐我们也能接受 |
[12:57] | Even Mr. Ziegler made sense. | 就连齐格先生都没关系 |
[12:58] | Getting bumped to deputy press secretary in charge of hairstyles… | 但是沦落到负责发型的 白宫新闻代表 |
[13:02] | – …kind of sucks. – I’m sure you’re great at what you do. | 有点糟糕 我相信妳一定很称职 |
[13:05] | If we were a media club, we wouldn’t be lodging this protest. | 如果我们是媒体俱乐部 就不会提出这次的抗议 |
[13:08] | We’re not lodging a protest, Cody. | 我们没有提出抗议,寇迪 |
[13:10] | We’re a political group. Did you even read our materials? | 我们是个政治团体 妳到底有没有看资料 |
[13:14] | As a matter of fact, I did. | 事实上,我有 |
[13:16] | Then you know a glorified field trip is a waste of time. | 那你知道走马看花的参观 是浪费时间的 |
[13:19] | Let’s talk about it on our way to the East Room. | 我们往东大厅,边走边谈吧 |
[13:32] | – Josh. – I love what you’ve done with the place. | 乔西 我很喜欢你做的布置 |
[13:36] | – I expected the congressman. – He’s on his way… | 我在等众议员 他正在来的路上 |
[13:38] | – …but you’re wasting his time with this. – Stem cell’s not a waste. | 但你这是在浪费时间 干细胞不是浪费时间 |
[13:42] | – It’s a win with women. You polled this. – We have. That’s not the…. | 女性非常支持,你做过民调的 我们有,那不是… |
[13:46] | Caregivers get what this means for those with diabetes, Parkinson’s… | 照顾者了解这代表什么 对糖尿病、帕金森病患 |
[13:49] | – ALS, Alzheimer’s. Yep, we’re onboard. – Great to hear. | 渐冻人、老人痴呆症,我们加入 很高兴听到你这么说 |
[13:53] | But we’re not going down with the ship. | 但是我们不能和船一起沉 |
[13:55] | The problem isn’t stem cells. | 问题不是干细胞 |
[13:57] | It’s asking us to stay when there’s no strategy to win this. | 他要我们留下,却没有赢的策略 |
[14:00] | I am talking to the congressman at his request… | 我照众议员的要求来跟他谈 |
[14:03] | …about his president’s agenda. Maybe you could give us a sec. | 有关他的总统议程 可不可以给我们一分钟 |
[14:06] | – You kicking me out of this office? – I got a better idea. | 你要把我赶出这办公室? 我有更好的想法 |
[14:09] | Why don’t you give Josh and me a minute. | 不如你给我和乔西一分钟 |
[14:12] | Take your time. My office is your office. | 慢慢讲 我的办公室就是你的办公室 |
[14:16] | It was, in fact. | 事实上,这里曾经是 |
[14:21] | You set this up? | 这是你安排的吗? |
[14:22] | – You can’t let me out of your sight. – This is a lose-lose. | 连一分钟也不能离开你视线吗? 这是个双输局面 |
[14:25] | As long as you stay, Haffley won’t call the vote. Soon as you leave, he will. | 只要你在这儿,海夫立就不会表决 你走了他就会 |
[14:29] | – There is one way. – You have a plan to win this vote? | 有个方法 你有计划赢得表决吗? |
[14:33] | But I’m gonna need you to iron out some crucial details with Cliff. | 但是我需要你和克里夫 帮我了解些重要的细节 |
[14:37] | – Yes, ma’am? – What’s this? | 是的,女士? 这是什么? |
[14:40] | Operation Northern Lights. It’s a working title. | 北极光任务是目前的暂定名称 |
[14:43] | You wanna infiltrate Canada with CIA operatives posing as ranchers? | 你想渗透加拿大 让中情局人员装成牧场经营者? |
[14:48] | Procedure in a hostage situation on foreign soil, assess the threat level. | 海外人质事件的程序 评估威胁评级 |
[14:51] | Before the insertion-extraction phase? | 在介入和抽出阶段前? |
[14:53] | Were you thinking Blackhawks or a HALO drop? | 你在想黑鹰或空降救援吗? |
[14:56] | I could game both out. DefCon 1 out of Fort Bragg. | 我能两个都采用 可以由布拉格堡派出 |
[14:59] | – The other out of… – Stop. | 另一个方案… 停止 |
[15:00] | The ranchers are making a statement on television. | 牧人正在加拿大电视上发表声明 |
[15:03] | Don’t give this to anyone, including me. | 别把这个给任何人,包括我 |
[15:06] | And the desk was made from the timbers of the H.M.S. Resolute… | 这张桌子是由 英国海军舰队的木材制作 |
[15:10] | …which was presented to President Hayes by Queen Victoria in 1880. | 由维多利亚女王在1880年 送给海斯总统 |
[15:15] | The presidential coat of arms was added by FDR… | 总统专用国徽由罗斯福制定 |
[15:18] | …who was President Bartlet’s hero when he was your age. | 那是巴特勒总统 在你这年纪时的偶像 |
[15:22] | Thanks, Phil. | 谢谢,菲尔 |
[15:23] | So are there any questions? | 有任何问题吗? |
[15:27] | As promised, director of White House communications, Mr. Toby Ziegler. | 如我保证,白宫传播主任 托比齐格先生 |
[15:32] | Hi, everybody. Annabeth showing you the place? | 大家好 安娜贝丝带你们参观过了吗? |
[15:34] | – We have the Roosevelt Room left. – Don’t let me interrupt. | 还剩下罗斯福办公室 别让我打断你们 |
[15:37] | I have one question for Mr. Ziegler, if I may. | 我是否可以问齐格先生一个问题 |
[15:40] | – Sure. Fire away. – Do you know who we are? | 当然,请说 你知道我们是谁吗? |
[15:43] | – Yeah, Junior Leaders of… – Future Leaders for Democracy. | 好,民主年轻… 民主未来领袖 |
[15:46] | – Were you briefed on our purpose? – Probably not. | 你会对我们的要求做简报吗? 应该不会 |
[15:49] | We’re a youth lobby in support of a constitutional amendment… | 我们是个青年游说团体 支持宪法修正案 |
[15:52] | …to forbid discrimination of voting rights on the basis of age. | 禁止因为年龄而歧视投票权 |
[15:55] | – They want the voting age lowered. – Abolished. | 他们想要降低投票年龄限制 是禁止 |
[15:58] | Well, that’s radical. | 那就是激进 |
[16:00] | Why did we get the brushoff today? | 我们今天为什么一直被置之不理 |
[16:03] | Why do we get passed down the food chain? | 为什么我们被推来推去 |
[16:05] | Why do you keep looking at our chaperone or Ms. Schott to intervene? | 为什么你一直看我们的监护人 或萧特小姐介入 |
[16:08] | We’re children, and that shouldn’t render us meaningless. | 我们是小孩 但那不该让我们没有意义 |
[16:12] | But in this society, we are meaningless. We’re powerless. We have no voice. | 但在这社会中,我们没有意义 没有力量和声音 |
[16:17] | Well, that’s an interesting point. I’ll read your stuff. | 那是个很有趣的论点 我会看你的东西 |
[16:20] | – The Roosevelt Room… – The brushoff again. | 罗斯福办公室… 又在敷衍了 |
[16:23] | And why not? No risk in offending us. We don’t exist. | 有何不可,得罪我们并没有危险 我们不存在 |
[16:27] | – What is it you want? – More than a 15-minute tour… | 你到底想要什么? 超过15分钟的导览 |
[16:29] | …and 30-second drive-by. We’ve been shuffled around, 10 minutes here, there. | 30秒的关心 我们被推来推去,每次约10分钟 |
[16:34] | It’s like there’s a plot to keep us from discussing our agenda. | 好像有人设计刻意不让我们 讨论议程 |
[16:37] | What Cody means is that children’s suffrage is a complex issue, and it… | 寇迪的意思是 孩童的投票权是很复杂的问题… |
[16:42] | I get it. I get what he means. | 我了解,我了解他的意思 |
[16:45] | Okay. This is the Roosevelt Room… | 好,这是罗斯福办公室 |
[16:49] | …where issues are discussed. | 讨论议题的地方 |
[16:54] | Pull up a chair. | 拉把椅子 |
[17:02] | It’s your meeting. | 这是你的会议 |
[17:06] | When he was asked why he wanted a one-armed economist… | 当有人问起他为何要个 独臂经济学家 |
[17:09] | …Truman said because he was always being advised: | 杜鲁门说,人家给他建议时 总是会说… |
[17:11] | “On the one hand…. But on the other hand…. “ | 〝一方面这样… 另一方面那样…〞 |
[17:15] | Academics often confound politicians. | 学术总是会混淆政治 |
[17:18] | Yes. In politics, it’s dog-eat-dog. In academia, it’s the opposite. | 对,政治就是狗咬狗 学术界则相反 |
[17:24] | When Japan Railway privatized in ’87… | 当日本铁路 在1987年私营化的时候 |
[17:28] | – …my theories were put to the test. – And you got lucky. | 我的理论受到考验 你运气好 |
[17:32] | It would have been hard to fail worse than the government had. | 比政府还失败是很困难的 |
[17:35] | All that red ink. | 那么多赤字 |
[17:37] | Must be why the private sector turns to government… | 那可能就是为什么私营机关 总是求助于政府 |
[17:40] | …for a bailout when things get tough. | 当时机变得困难的时候 |
[17:42] | And why disciplined leaders learn to say no. | 以及为什么有教养的领袖 学会了说〝不〞 |
[17:46] | I’m so sorry to interrupt, but they’re calling us in for dinner. | 抱歉打扰 但他们要我们去吃晚餐了 |
[17:52] | Excuse us. Does the steward have laryngitis? | 抱歉,请问管家有喉炎吗? |
[17:55] | It’d be a pity to battle MS, only to succumb to an aneurysm. | 对抗多发性硬化症那么久 却死于动脉瘤太可惜 |
[17:59] | Jefferson said it best. “A man’s management of his own purse… | 杰弗逊说得最好 〝人管理荷包的方法… |
[18:03] | – …speaks volumes about character. ” – Are you still pissed about Stockholm? | 透露了他的人格特质〞 还对斯德哥尔摩感到生气吗? |
[18:07] | We were Nobel laureates in economics. | 我们是诺贝尔奖经济学奖得主 |
[18:09] | It was no empty gesture when he stiffed me for the cab fare. | 而他坚持要我付计程车钱 那可不是空泛的表态 |
[18:13] | I hear there is to be Latin dancing after dinner. | 我听说晚餐后会有拉丁舞 |
[18:17] | And he’s a big fan. | 他是个大舞迷 |
[18:18] | I trust you’ll save me a tango, Dr. Bartlet. | 他是个大舞迷 妳会留支探戈给我吧,巴特勒博士 |
[18:24] | – Your dance card’s full, toots. – Jed, did you bring your cane? | 妳的舞卡已经满了 杰德,你的拐杖带了吗? |
[18:27] | – You can hold me up. – Maybe I’ll give him a little samba. | 妳可以抱我 也许可以请他跳点森巴 |
[18:30] | Over my dead body. | 我宁死不屈 |
[18:32] | The prime minister wishes to emphasize the unofficial nature… | 我宁死不屈 首相希望强调… |
[18:36] | …of the ranchers ‘ declaration of war against the United States. | 牧场经营者对于美国的宣战 非官方性质 |
[18:39] | – Thank you. – You have seen their demands… | 谢谢你 你们有没有看到他们的要求 |
[18:42] | – … on Canadian television? – We have. | 在加拿大电视频道上? 我们有 |
[18:44] | Security officers at Waterton-Glacier National Park are on ready response. | 瓦特顿冰河国家公园的 维安人员已经准备好 |
[18:48] | Reinforcements may be crossing over through Peace Park. | 增援部队可能由和平公园进入 |
[18:51] | We’re concerned about reports of escalation. | 我们对于情况吃紧的报告感到担心 |
[18:54] | An effigy burning in Alberta. | 亚伯达的一具肖像被烧 |
[18:57] | A response to your governor of Montana. | 那是对你们蒙大拿州长的反应 |
[18:59] | He mentioned calling in the National Guard. | 他有提出请求国民警卫队支援 |
[19:02] | He referred to a contingency plan to invade Canada. | 他提到了侵略加拿大的应变计划 |
[19:05] | That is absurd. There is no U.S. contingency plan to… | 那太荒谬了 美国没有什么应变计划来… |
[19:14] | Are you there? | 妳还在吗? |
[19:16] | I was saying, we trust that local officials will resolve this very soon. | 如我所说,我们相信当地官员 很快能解决问题 |
[19:22] | We’ll be in touch. | 那我们再联络 |
[19:25] | We have a contingency plan to invade Canada? | 我们有侵略加拿大的预想计划吗? |
[19:28] | – Would you like to be briefed? – Other developments? | 要听简报吗? 有其他发展吗? |
[19:32] | – A sawmill in Climax is piling on. – Is Climax us or them? | 克莱玛的锯木厂吃紧 克莱玛是我们还是他们 |
[19:35] | Them. They’re demanding we drop tariffs on soft-lumber products. | 他们,他们要求我们 免去软木材产品的关税 |
[19:39] | And a meatpacking plant in Lodgepole. Us. | 和一个在柱松的肉品包装厂 这是我方 |
[19:43] | Coffee for Americans on their way to the front. | 他们提供所有上前线的美国人咖啡 |
[19:45] | – Don’t say “front. ” – Royal Canadians arrived… | 别说〝前线〞 加拿大皇家骑警队到了 |
[19:48] | …but they’re at a disadvantage. | 但是他们处于劣势 怎么说 |
[19:50] | Mountie’s standard issue is a Smith and Wesson 9 mm. | 他们的基本配备是 九厘米史密斯威森左轮手枪 |
[19:53] | And the hunters are packing 12-gauge shotguns. And? | 猎人带的是12口径猎枪,然后呢 |
[19:56] | A couple of Barrett 50-caliber snipers… | 几把巴瑞特50口径狙击枪 |
[19:59] | …HK carbine fiber assault rifles and infrared night goggles. | 卡宾枪和红外线夜视镜 |
[20:19] | – Congressman. – Talk to Josh. | 众议员 和乔西谈吧 |
[20:25] | He’s going to Hartford? | 他要去哈特福吗? |
[20:26] | Folks there paid to shake his hand. | 他要去哈特福吗? 那里的人付钱握他的手 |
[20:29] | – You want me to…? – No, no, stay put. I’m fine here. | 你要我… 不…别动,我在这里很好 |
[20:32] | But he can shake those hands and be back in D.C. in a few hours. | 但是他能去握那些手 然后几小时后回到华盛顿 |
[20:36] | And the dozen congressmen who are heading out to stump for him? | 十二个为他进行游说的众议员 也一起吗? |
[20:39] | – I’m ready to start calling them back. – Thank you. | 我准备好叫他们回来了 谢谢你 |
[20:42] | Thank the congressman. | 谢谢众议员 |
[20:44] | – Sorry. – No. | 对不起 不会 |
[20:46] | If there’s a single Republican on his flight or someone sees him… | 如果有任何共和党和他同机 或有人看到他… |
[20:50] | He’s flying himself. He’ll land at the private terminal. | 他自己飞,他会在私人机场降落 |
[20:53] | Question is, where does he go after that? | 问题是,他在那之后要去哪里 |
[20:55] | Give me half an hour. It can be arranged. | 给我半个小时,这可以安排 |
[21:18] | – Hi. – Congressman. | 你好 众议员 |
[21:23] | Do you wanna come in? | 你要进来吗? |
[21:29] | So the rumor’s true. You really do sleep in your office. | 所以流言是真的 你真的睡在办公室 |
[21:32] | Can’t afford D.C. rent on this salary. | 这种薪水没办法在华盛顿租房子 |
[21:35] | And in Pine Bluff, we favor a short commute. | 在派恩布拉夫 我们倾向短距离通勤 |
[21:38] | The president needs you, Arkansas. | 总统需要你,阿肯色州 |
[21:39] | You shared my concerns, and I’m being summoned to the White House? | 你分担了我对干细胞的忧虑 白宫要召唤我吗? |
[21:43] | It’s more legwork. The president needs… | 这比较像跑腿工作,总统需要… |
[21:45] | …a loyal Democrat who can walk these halls and look like he belongs here. | 一个忠诚的民主党员 理直气壮地走在回廊中 |
[21:50] | – Where do I start? – Do you have some pants? | 我要从哪里开始 你有裤子吗? |
[22:01] | I’m saying all societies distinguish between an adult phase of life… | 我是说任何一个社会 |
[22:05] | …and childhood as a time of development… | 成人和孩提人格发展时期的分际 |
[22:08] | – …when rights are curtailed. – But the 26th Amendment… | 就是权利的赋予 但是第26条修正案… |
[22:11] | …lowering the voting age to 18, proves the line is arbitrary. | 将选举年龄降低到18岁 证明那限制是专制的 |
[22:15] | There’s a call for you. | 妳的电话 |
[22:16] | In the 30 years since the 26th passed… | 妳的电话 第26条通过后的30年中 |
[22:19] | …society has not altered its stance on when adulthood begins. | 社会并未改变对于成年开始的界定 |
[22:22] | Eighteen is still the common age of graduation from school, conscription. | 18岁还是普遍的毕业和当兵年纪 |
[22:26] | What about children as young as 12 get tried as adults? | 那12岁的小孩 以成年人的标准审判又怎么说 |
[22:29] | I’m mature enough to face sentencing as a full citizen but not to vote? | 我足够成熟面对成人的刑期 但是无法投票? |
[22:33] | You can be dumb and commit a crime. | 你可以愚蠢地犯罪 |
[22:35] | Voting requires a level of reasoning. | 但是投票需要一定程度的判断力 |
[22:37] | Adults don’t have to prove any level of reasoning to vote. | 成人选举也不需证明自己有判断力 我想你知道的 |
[22:40] | I’ll cede that. Would you agree children need special protections… | 这我同意 但是你同意孩童需要特殊保护 |
[22:44] | – …against mistreatment by adults? – Sure. | 对抗成人的虐待吗? 当然 |
[22:46] | Those same vulnerabilities make them unable to vote independently. | 那些弱点让他们无法独立投票 |
[22:50] | – That argument, immature logic… – Being easy to coerce. | 那种论点是不成熟的逻辑 而且容易被强迫 |
[22:53] | That was used to prevent Negroes and women from voting… | 那被用来防止黑人和女性投票 |
[22:56] | – …up until the 20th century. – Sorry. C.J.’s looking for you. | 直到20世纪 对不起,茜洁找你 |
[23:00] | – Your next meeting. – Dining and dancing. | 你的下个会议 晚餐和跳舞 |
[23:02] | And your parents called. You guys are missing dinner. | 你们的父母打电话来 你们没赶上晚餐 |
[23:04] | Oh, my gosh, we are. We took up a lot of your time. | 我的天,真的 我们花了你们很多时间 |
[23:08] | It’s been great, sir. Another half-hour, I could’ve convinced you. | 非常愉快,先生,再半小时 我就能说服你 |
[23:12] | – I believe you. – We heard District is the best pizza. | 我相信你 我们听说这区有最好的比萨 |
[23:14] | – Outrageous. – They deliver, don’t they? | 好的不得了! 他们外送吧 |
[23:17] | I think so. | 应该会 |
[23:23] | – I need the Mural Room for a meeting. – Is it Canada? | 我需要用壁画厅开会 是加拿大吗? |
[23:26] | Okay. Maybe I’m overly emotional these days… | 好啦,也许我最近过度情绪化 |
[23:30] | …but Mother’s Canadian, you know. Dad hails from upstate… | 不过我妈是加拿大人 爸爸来自美国北部 |
[23:33] | …so there’s always been a north-south tug of war for us kids. | 所以会我们小孩来说 总是南北的角力战 |
[23:36] | Today’s events, this is the kind of thing that pulls families apart. | 今天的事情,这种事情 可能造成妻离子散 |
[23:40] | Pits brother against brother. | 兄弟阋墙 |
[23:47] | – So can I have the room? – All yours. | 我可以用那个房间吗? 都是妳的了 |
[23:51] | Give peace a chance. | 给和平一个机会 |
[23:53] | Get the door, get the door. | 开门… |
[23:57] | I wasn’t looking. I missed the whole thing. | 我没有在看,我什么都没看到 |
[23:59] | He overdid it. | 他太好强了 |
[24:00] | A man his age attempting a tango. | 他太好强了 他这个年龄想跳探戈 |
[24:03] | – The physician is on the way. – There’s no need. | 医生正在途中 不需要 |
[24:06] | Can we bring him some ice? | 可以拿点冰块给他吗? |
[24:08] | You hit your head. Did you hurt yourself? | 你的头撞到了,受伤了吗? |
[24:11] | You’re the expert on soft landings. You tell me. | 你是软性著陆的专家,你说呢 |
[24:16] | He’s fine. | 他没事 |
[24:22] | Congressman Santos is in Hartford tonight. Do you wanna leave word? | 山多斯议员今晚在哈特福 要留话吗? |
[24:26] | – Sounds like I missed him. – I can try him on his cell. | 听起来我错过他了 我能试试他的手机 |
[24:29] | Just tell him I stopped by. Good night. | 跟他说我来过,晚安 |
[24:34] | Elvis has left the building. | 猫王已经离开了这里 |
[25:10] | Anyone see you? Okay, Arkansas. Congressman Riley’s approaching… | 有人看到你吗?好,阿肯色州 瑞里众议员来了 |
[25:13] | – …the south entrance. – Got it covered. | 正接近南边入口 收到 |
[25:15] | – Nice flight? – Little turbulence, makes it interesting. | 飞行顺利吗? 小逆流,这样比较有趣 |
[25:18] | Does the vice president know we’re using his office? | 副总统知道我们在用 他的办公室吗? |
[25:21] | I’m not telling him. I’d keep the noise down and the curtains pulled. | 我不会跟他说 我会小声点,把窗帘拉起来 |
[25:24] | – You aren’t staying? – I can’t be seen around here. | 你不留下来吗? 我不能在这里被看见 |
[25:27] | – Can I get you anything? – Is there coffee? | 需要点什么吗? 有咖啡吗? |
[25:29] | The soda’s there. Washroom is through there. | 汽水在那里,洗手间在那里 |
[25:31] | Thanks. | 谢谢 |
[25:53] | No, no, I’m sorry, I’m sorry. Don’t… Don’t scream. | 不…对不起…别叫 |
[25:56] | – What the…? – I’m sorry. | 搞什么鬼… 对不起 |
[25:59] | – I’m sorry. – Oh, God. I didn’t plan… I mean, I… | 对不起 天啊,我不是…我是说…我… |
[26:04] | – Oh, I crashed. – Your Russell’s chicken fighter. | 我睡著了 你是罗素的斗鸡 |
[26:07] | Donna Moss. You’re Matt Santos. | 唐娜摩斯,你是麦修山多斯 |
[26:09] | Running for president. | 选总统 |
[26:10] | And I haven’t shaken your hand yet. | 选总统 我还没跟妳握手 |
[26:14] | Okay, assuming I’m not in some state… | 好,假设我没有 |
[26:17] | – …of deep REM hallucination… – I’m hiding out. | 产生严重的幻觉 我正躲人 |
[26:20] | We’re trying to outsmart the speaker… | 我们试著智取议长 |
[26:22] | …have him think we’ve all left town before he calls the vote. | 在明天表决前 让他觉得我们已经离开了 |
[26:25] | – Now, when you say we…? – There’s some others… | 当你说我们的时候… 有其他人… |
[26:28] | …that are coming. Excuse me. | 要来,抱歉 |
[26:31] | – Does the vice president know you’re… – This is not for the Santos campaign. | 副总统知道你… 这不是为了山多斯的选战 |
[26:35] | It’s for the president. I bet you’re a fan. | 这是为了总统 我打赌妳是他的粉丝 |
[26:39] | You’re not gonna try, “It’s for stem cells everywhere,” are you? | 你不会说 〝这是为了各地的干细胞〞对吧 |
[26:43] | That was going in next. | 那是接下来要说的 |
[26:46] | – I made a fool of myself. – We all know the feeling. | 我让自己出丑了 我们都知道那种感觉 |
[26:50] | – Even presidents? – Especially presidents. | 就连总统也是? 特别是总统 |
[26:53] | You’re thinking of last week’s veto override? | 你在想上星期的覆议吗? |
[26:56] | No, but thanks for the reminder. | 不,但谢谢你的提醒 |
[26:58] | Not that you should judge. You’d veto all government spending. | 不是说你应该批判 不过你也会否决所有的政府花费 |
[27:02] | You think I judge you? | 你觉得我批判你吗? |
[27:04] | We judge each other. Always have. Put this on. | 我们批判彼此,一直都是这样 冰敷在头上 |
[27:07] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[27:10] | What if I were here as a friend with a friendly warning? | 如果我是以朋友的身分来这里 给你友善的警告呢? |
[27:14] | – What would that be? – Japan has been heavily investing… | 警告什么? 日本对于你的国债 |
[27:18] | …in your national debt. | 做了不少投资 |
[27:20] | If you mean that Japan has been buying U.S. Treasury bonds…. | 做了不少投资 你的意思是 日本一直在买美国政府债券 |
[27:24] | Foreign investors have bought… | 外国投资者买下了 |
[27:26] | …90 percent of your new debt. | 你们百分之九十的债务 |
[27:30] | My government alone holds 700 billion in assets. | 光我的政府就拥有七千亿的财产 |
[27:35] | Since when did deficits bother you? | 赤字什么时候困扰过你了? |
[27:38] | They bother you. | 它们困扰你 |
[27:40] | Your work was a jeremiad on keeping deficits low. | 你的工作是将赤字降低 |
[27:45] | My work applied to developing economies. | 我的研究适用于发展中的经济 |
[27:47] | There are rumors Singapore may dump her dollars. It could start a run. | 有谣言说新加坡可能卖美元 这可能造成趋势 |
[27:53] | – Never happen. – Japan could not afford to be caught… | 永远不会发生 日本经不起被套牢 |
[27:55] | It’s in Japan’s own interest for these notes to hold their value. | 让这些公债保值是日本的利益 |
[27:59] | We have an aging population. We’ll have to divest. | 我们的人口日趋老化 我们得放弃 |
[28:02] | Gradually. A soft landing. | 慢慢地软性著陆 |
[28:04] | Not that I don’t appreciate the sentiment behind your nightmare scenario. | 我不是不感谢 你那恶梦场景背后的好意 |
[28:08] | A deficit projected over… | 赤字在你的任内 |
[28:11] | …300 billion on your watch… | 超出三千亿喔 |
[28:14] | – …is not my nightmare. – Hence my veto of the Highways Bill. | 这不是我的恶梦 所以我反对高速公路议案 |
[28:18] | Which I mistook for mutual concern over the world’s greatest economy… | 我误以为是我们 对世界上最大经济体的忧虑 |
[28:24] | …burdened with mounting debt… | 举债的负担越来越重 |
[28:27] | …increasingly held by foreign friends. | 友邦的掌握越来越多 |
[28:34] | What are friends for? | 朋友是拿来做什么的? |
[28:38] | Thank you for seeing me. I know you’ve had a long day. | 谢谢你接见我 我知道妳今天很辛苦 |
[28:41] | Will said something’s on your mind. | 威尔说你有心事 |
[28:43] | As Canadian ambassador, I am pleased to report… | 身为加拿大大使,我很高兴地报告 |
[28:47] | – …all’s quiet on the western front. – Though still unresolved. | 西线无战事 但是还没解决 |
[28:50] | Yes. And when I spoke with the vice president… | 是的,我和副总统谈的时候… |
[28:53] | You called the vice president? | 你打电话给副总统了吗? |
[28:55] | The vice president called the ambassador. | 你打电话给副总统了吗? 是副总统打电话给大使 |
[28:57] | I’ve had some unofficial conversations. | 我们做了些非官方谈话 |
[29:00] | You understand I’m not at liberty to speak officially. | 妳了解我无法代表官方发言 |
[29:03] | – What are we talking about? – You’ll have to excuse my…. | 我们在说什么 你得原谅我的… |
[29:08] | I haven’t had much practice at this kind of intrigue. | 我对这些事务不太熟悉 |
[29:11] | We all learn by doing. | 我们都边做边学 |
[29:13] | Our two countries are close and historic friends. | 我们都边做边学 我们两个国家 历史上是很亲近的朋友 |
[29:17] | Yes, of course, there are some areas where we differ. | 是的,当然 我们有些不同的地方 |
[29:20] | – Bovine spongiform is one. – And lumber tariffs. | 狂牛症就是一个 和木材关税 |
[29:22] | – Mail-order prescription drugs. – And U.S. global military presence. | 邮购处方药 美国全球军事布局 |
[29:26] | But on the whole, friends. | 但整体来说,我们是朋友 |
[29:28] | If you would trust me, I could prevail upon the premier of the province… | 如果妳相信我的话 我就能向首相施压 |
[29:32] | …to exert pressure on his citizens to relent… | 让他的国民让步 |
[29:36] | …and allow the Americans back across the border. | 允许美国人自由进出边界 |
[29:39] | – That’d be swell. – Of course, this would create… | 那就太棒了 当然,这会造成… |
[29:42] | – …some expectations. – Expectations. | 一些期待 期待? |
[29:44] | The ambassador suggested if there were some flexibility… | 大使建议… |
[29:47] | …on the U.S. appeal of NAFTA’s lumber decision… | 美国对上诉北美自由贸易协定 木材的决定如果有弹性 |
[29:50] | The U.S. does not make trade decisions based on the actions of cowboys. | 美国不以牛仔的行为做贸易协定 |
[29:54] | Unless they’ve been elected to office. | 除非他们选上公职 |
[29:56] | I understand you can’t negotiate with me directly… | 我了解妳无法直接和我谈判 |
[29:58] | …but if you sense the possibility of an openness… | 但如果妳觉得这个提议可行 |
[30:02] | …to consider my proposal, you could signal the same… | 愿意考虑我的提案的话 妳可以用一样的暗号 |
[30:07] | …by crossing your legs. | 以翘脚表示 |
[30:09] | Or uncrossing and crossing them again, just to be sure. | 或左右交换翘脚,以确定 |
[30:13] | Ambassador, listen carefully. An hour ago… | 大使,听好,一小时前… |
[30:15] | …I reviewed the U.S. contingency plan to invade your country. | 我重新检视了 美国入侵贵国的应变计划 |
[30:19] | – There’s a contingency plan…? -1789, amended in 1815. | 有这种应变计划? 1789年立案,1815年修正 |
[30:22] | The calligraphy is beautiful. If one more deal is floated in this room… | 笔迹非常优美 如果这房间再提出一个提案 |
[30:25] | …I’m gonna ask DOD to reactivate it. | 我会请国防部重新启动该计划 |
[30:30] | You could argue that 18 is the worst age to start voting. | 你可以质疑十八岁 是最糟糕的投票年纪 |
[30:33] | You’re all worried about college or paying rent or falling in love. | 你担心的只有大学 付房租或交异性朋友 |
[30:36] | It isn’t only power that corrupts. | 腐败的不只有权力 |
[30:38] | Weakness corrupts. Kids grow up cynical. | 软弱也是腐败的 孩子长大后愤世嫉俗 |
[30:40] | You think half of adults don’t vote… | 你觉得一半的成人不投票 |
[30:42] | …because they didn’t get started soon enough? | 是因为他们开始的不够早吗? |
[30:45] | Absolutely. Churches don’t wait. | 当然,教堂不会等待 |
[30:47] | They get kids at birth. | 孩子一生出来它们就吸收他们 |
[30:48] | – It’s as kids we have unique concerns. – Like what? | 孩子一生出来它们就吸收他们 身为孩子,我们有特殊的担忧 像什么 |
[30:51] | I’m going to be breathing air and drinking water after you’re gone… | 你走后我还是呼吸空气和喝水 |
[30:55] | …but I can’t vote to protect the environment? | 但是我无法投票保护大自然? |
[30:57] | We’re required to attend underfunded schools but can’t vote to fix them. | 我们必须就读经费不足的学校 却无法投票改善 |
[31:01] | Kids who work pay into Social Security without say as to how it’s managed. | 打工的小孩也付社会福利费用 却无法干涉它的管理 |
[31:04] | When you guys fix Social Security, you have to keep adults happy. | 对,当你们修改社会福利的时候 你们得取悦成人 |
[31:08] | You can rob our future without losing a vote. | 你们能夺去我们的未来 却不失去选票 |
[31:10] | Here’s another. Poverty among young people exceeds all other age groups… | 还有,年轻人的贫穷 超越任何年龄层 |
[31:14] | …yet the government spends 10 times more on each poor senior… | 但是政府花在 贫穷老人身上的钱 |
[31:17] | …than it does each poor child. | 是每个贫穷小孩的十倍 哇! |
[31:19] | We have no AARP to lobby for us. | 我们没有美国退休人协会 为我们游说 |
[31:21] | We have no voice at all. | 我们一点声音都没有 |
[31:24] | So are you…? | 那你… |
[31:27] | Did we convince you? | 我们说服你了吗? |
[31:30] | Well, I’d go for lowering the age in increments… | 我赞成降低年龄限制 |
[31:34] | …and I wouldn’t start at the federal level. | 但我不会由联邦政府开始 |
[31:36] | But you’ll mention it to the president? | 但是你会向总统提起吗? |
[31:38] | I’ll do better than that. | 我会做更好的事 |
[31:41] | – Where are we hiding? – Republican at 12 o’clock. | 我们要躲在哪里 12点钟方向有共和党 |
[31:45] | – But it’s crucial to the president. – And I am in a crucial primary. Sir. | 但这对总统很重要 我参加的是关键性的初选 |
[31:49] | – Gentlemen. – I’m sorry, buddy… | 绅士们 对不起,兄弟 |
[31:51] | …but I got a plane to catch. | 绅士们 对不起,兄弟 但我要赶飞机 |
[31:58] | We clear? | 没事了吗? |
[32:06] | – Hey, Donna. – Congressman. | 唐娜 众议员 |
[32:09] | You wanna take this in? | 你要把这拿进去吗? |
[32:13] | – What about popcorn? Smell too risky? – I’d wait another hour. | 爆米花如何,味道太重了吗? 我会再等一小时 |
[32:25] | You made it. | 你到了 |
[32:28] | Greg. | 葛雷格 |
[32:29] | Didn’t you get the message about provisions? | 葛雷格 你没有得到准备的讯息吗? |
[32:33] | It’s 75 degrees here. I may never go back to D.C. | 这里75度 我可能永远不回华盛顿 |
[32:37] | – It was a dirty trick. – Worked like a charm, though. | 这是个下三滥的伎俩 但是很有用 |
[32:40] | The speaker crossed a line. | 议长太过份了 |
[32:41] | You should’ve seen stuff we pulled when we were the majority. | 议长太过份了 妳该看看我们是多数时 所做的事情 |
[32:44] | Why I hated coed dorms. | 这就是为什么我讨厌 男女生混合的宿舍 |
[32:48] | Once again, we let the Republicans set the terms. | 再一次 我们让共和党决定名称 |
[32:50] | This is therapeutic research, not reproductive cloning. | 这是医疗性的研究 不是复制科学 |
[32:54] | Congressman, no more souls to ferry? | 众议员,没有人要带了吗? |
[32:57] | All in for now. | 都来了 |
[32:58] | Pull up a chair. We’re preaching to the choir here on stem cells. | 都来了 拉把椅子,我们是来 宣导干细胞的 |
[33:01] | I may sing another tune. | 我可能有不同意见 |
[33:03] | – No, take it easy. He’s on our team. – Burns me up the speaker… | 不,放轻松,他在我们这边 议长的表决不公平 |
[33:07] | – …didn’t have a fair vote. – Even if you’re leaning his way. | 让我感到难过 就算你往他那里倾斜 |
[33:10] | Should I turn in my decoder ring? | 我该交回我的戒指吗? |
[33:12] | Haffley closed the floor to debate, but we’re not playing by his rules. | 海夫立想关门辩论 但我们才不照他的游戏规则咧 |
[33:16] | What are your reservations? | 你哪里存疑 |
[33:18] | I have morality questions. | 我有道德上的问题 |
[33:22] | Ask them. | 问我 |
[33:23] | We have all night. | 我们有一整晚的时间 |
[33:30] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[33:36] | – Half-day? – Those Nobel laureates can party. | 半天? 那些诺贝尔奖得主真能玩 |
[33:38] | – Did Josh fill you in on what’s afoot? – Operation Sleepover? | 乔西跟妳说接下来的事了吗? 过夜任务? |
[33:42] | It’s a cool move if it works. I can’t figure how you get Haffley… | 如果有用是很棒的计划 你如何说服海夫立… |
[33:46] | – …to call the vote. He can put it off. – This is where squash come in. | 现在表决,他可以取消的 这就是回力球的用处 |
[33:49] | – The sport or the vegetable? – I punish the speaker every Thursday. | 你是说运动还是蔬菜 我每星期四都和议长打 |
[33:53] | – Tomorrow. – In five hours, to be exact. | 明天 准确地说,再五个小时后 |
[33:55] | You’re gonna talk him into scheduling a vote? | 你要说服他决定表决时间吗? |
[33:57] | And shut him out with my forehand at the same time. | 同时用我的正手拍打败他 |
[34:00] | Here’s how it’ll go. I say, “Oh, nice nick. ” Squash talk. | 经过情形会是回力球语言 〝做得好〞 |
[34:03] | “And nice maneuver on the floor, pulling the vote. “ | 〝在议会上调动得宜 调齐了所有的票〞 |
[34:05] | He says, “Thanks. Let, please. ” I’ve played a little squash. | 他说〝谢谢,请〞 然后再打一下回力球 |
[34:08] | “Everything’s a game, even research that could save millions of lives. “ | 一切都是游戏 能救百万人性命的研究也是 |
[34:12] | – “Stem cell’s not a game. ” – “Looks like that to the president. “ | 干细胞不是游戏 总统似乎那么觉得 |
[34:16] | “This research could lead to trafficking in human embryos. “ | 这研究可能造成胚胎的走私 我可不敢小看 |
[34:19] | “If this were a trip to moral high ground, not an inside-the-Beltway bitch slap… | 少来了,如果这通往道德高地的路 不是政客的玩物 |
[34:23] | …you’d schedule the vote now that you can win… | 妳就会依照妳会赢的时间 选择表决时间 |
[34:26] | …protecting clustered cells in petri dishes everywhere. Why let it slide? | 保护各处培养皿的细胞群 为什么要放水 |
[34:29] | Maybe the Republican Party has a stronger interest in keeping its base agitated… | 也许共和党更有兴趣 让他的基层焦虑 |
[34:34] | …than it does in protecting the sanctity of human life. “ | 而不是保护人类生命的神圣 |
[34:37] | Might work. You’re gonna have to let him win a game, though. | 也许有用,但你得让他赢一局 才不咧! |
[34:41] | Yes, they’re in labs, but they’re still embryos. | 对,他们在实验室中 但他们还是胚胎 |
[34:45] | What they are… Have you seen them? They’re frozen, fertilized eggs. | 那些是…你看过吗? 那些是冰冻的受精卵 |
[34:50] | Call them eggs. Call them genetic material. | 称它们为卵子,称它们为基因物质 |
[34:54] | – They’re potential human life. – Potential, that’s the key. | 它们是潜在的人类生命 潜在的,那是关键 |
[34:58] | These embryos may contribute to life… | 这些胚胎可对生命做出贡献 |
[35:00] | …but they could never become a person or a fetus without a mother’s womb. | 但是没有母亲的子宫 它们不可能成为人或胎儿 |
[35:05] | – That’s a fine line. – The mystery of life. | 那是一线之隔 生命之谜 |
[35:10] | It’s all fine lines and tough odds… | 有太多的分界线和不可能 |
[35:13] | …as anyone who’s ever been through in vitro fertilization knows. | 只要经历过试管受精的都知道 |
[35:17] | Do you object to that too? | 那你也反对吗? |
[35:20] | In vitro? No. | 试管受精?不 |
[35:22] | That’s science helping folks conceive. | 那是帮助人生子的科学 |
[35:25] | Well, these cells are what’s left over when that work is done. | 这是那些工作完成后 所剩下的细胞 |
[35:28] | But the science is the same as the science of cloning. | 但是这科学和复制科学是一样的 |
[35:32] | That’s why funding would be limited to discarded cells. | 那就是为什么经费仅限于销毁细胞 |
[35:35] | If not used in research, these cells would be thrown away… | 如果不用来做研究 这些细胞还是会被丢掉 |
[35:38] | …and there would be no outcry from Congress. | 国会就不会发出呐喊 |
[35:42] | And, you know, if it’s a moral call… | 你知道,如果这是道德的决定 |
[35:44] | …and I agree, it is… | 我也同意,这是… |
[35:47] | …what about the morality… | 那我们可以马上解除痛苦 |
[35:49] | …of dragging our heels when we could be alleviating suffering? | 却拖著脚步的道德又在哪里? |
[36:04] | – Is this true? – We have Officer Horn… | 这是真的吗? 何恩警官… |
[36:07] | – …at the site confirming it. – An American helicopter entered… | 在当场做了确认 一架美国直升机进入了 |
[36:10] | …Canadian airspace and emergency-landed… | 加拿大领空,并且紧急降落 |
[36:12] | …half a click from the standoff? | 离对峙地点只有几尺之遥? |
[36:14] | – Yes, ma ‘am. – This was a UH-1 H helicopter? | 离对峙地点只有几尺之遥? 是的,女士 这是UH—1H直升机? |
[36:17] | – Yes, ma ‘am. – A Huey? | 是的,女士 休伊直升机? |
[36:19] | They make civilian aircraft. We have deniability. | 是的,女士 休伊直升机? 它们也做私人飞机 我们有否认的可能 |
[36:21] | Not deniability. I want absolute assurance… | 不要否认的可能 我要绝对的确认 |
[36:24] | – …this was not part of a military action. – I can’t vouch for Black Ops. | 这不是我们的军事行动 我无法为秘密任务背书 |
[36:27] | Enough. This is stopping now. The problem is not a few rowdy outlaws… | 够了,这得赶快停止 问题不是几个不法之徒 |
[36:31] | …blowing off testosterone. The problem is us. | 发泄他们的睾丸素 问题在于我们 |
[36:34] | We’re the Wild Bunch. The higher we go, the hotter the risk. | 我们才是疯狂的一群 我们爬得越高就越危险 |
[36:37] | I just threatened the Canadian ambassador. | 我刚刚才恐吓了加拿大大使 |
[36:40] | Someone on the ground has got… | 地面上有人… |
[36:43] | – Okay, officer, are you still there? – I am. | 好,警官,你还在吗? 我在 |
[36:45] | Who is the ranking Canadian officer at the scene? | 加拿大警方现场位阶最高的是谁 |
[36:47] | – The Grasslands EcoRegion director. – Does he have access to a bullhorn? | 草原生态气候分区主任 他有大声公吗? |
[36:51] | – It could be arranged. – Okay. What if…? | 这可以安排 好,如果… |
[36:54] | It’s just past midnight, Mountain time. Announce the end of hunting season. | 现在午夜刚过,山地时区 宣告狩猎季结束 |
[36:57] | – Not till next week. – It just ended at midnight. | 那是下星期 改掉,就在午夜结束 |
[37:00] | Anyone discharging a firearm is subject to immediate, permanent loss… | 任何发射武器的人 可能造成… |
[37:04] | – …of their hunting license. – That could work. | 马上且永久的吊销狩猎执照 这可能有效 |
[37:06] | – They don’t fool around with hunting. – Give it a shot. | 说到打猎,他们可不开玩笑 试试看吧 |
[37:11] | The man’s a gnat. A buzzing mosquito. | 他是个昆虫类,一只嗡嗡叫的蚊子 |
[37:15] | No, he’s a pit bull. Locks his jaws and won’t let go. | 不,他是只斗牛犬 咬住就不放口 |
[37:19] | – Yeah. – His doomsday predictions. | 对 他的世界末日预言 |
[37:23] | – Not that that stuff keeps me awake. – No. | 别说那个,那让我睡不著 才怪 |
[37:27] | What keeps you awake is the deficit. | 让你睡不著的是赤字 |
[37:30] | First term, we made so much progress we were talking balanced budget. | 第一任,我们几乎让预算平衡 |
[37:35] | Economy slowed. | 经济衰退 |
[37:37] | Costs spiraled. Security at home… | 费用上升、国土安全问题 |
[37:40] | …terrorism… | 恐怖主义 |
[37:43] | …peacekeeping abroad, Republican tax cuts. I couldn’t control it. | 海外维安、共和党减税 我无法控制 |
[37:46] | – And I’m an economist, for God’s sakes. – And a smart one. | 我还是个经济学家,天啊 还是个聪明的 |
[37:50] | You gotta ask, what’s the next guy, a mere mortal, gonna do? | 你得问,接下来的那个人 一个凡人,会怎么做 |
[37:55] | It’s like Eisenhower. | 这就像是艾森豪 |
[37:58] | – In what way? – Even though he’d been a general… | 怎么说? 虽然他曾是个将军 |
[38:00] | …when he was president, he couldn’t do anything… | 当他做总统的时候 他对于控制军事工业 |
[38:03] | …to control the military industrial, you know…. | 却什么都不能做 |
[38:15] | He did one thing. | 他做了一件事 |
[38:23] | Haffley just called the first procedural bill of the day, approving the journal. | 海夫立刚召开今天第一项程序议案 议事录批准了 |
[38:27] | Testing to see if there’s anyone here to flush out. | 测试是否有人来表决 |
[38:30] | He announced today is gonna be about pharmaceutical drug trials. | 他宣布今天要讨论制药法案 |
[38:34] | – Oh, no. – Stem cell isn’t on the agenda. | 喔不… 干细胞不在议程上 |
[38:37] | No. | 不在 |
[38:40] | This is a nationally televised presidential press conference. | 这是全国联播的总统记者会 |
[38:43] | – You don’t speak unless you’re called on. – Yes, sir. | 没叫你,不要说话 是,长官 |
[38:49] | – President’s on his way. – Anything from the Hill? | 总统就要到了 国会山庄有消息吗? |
[38:51] | – Not so far. – You think that would be appropriate? | 目前没有 妳觉得那适合吗? |
[38:54] | I don’t think that would be a problem. | 我不觉得那会是问题 |
[38:56] | – Good morning. – Morning, sir. | 早安 早安,长官 |
[38:58] | – You ready to shake things up, Toby? – Yes, sir. If you’re in the mood… | 早安 早安,长官 准备好行动了吗?,托比 是,长官,如果你想 |
[39:01] | …there’s a young man in the back you might wanna call on. | 后面有个年轻人,也许你会点他 |
[39:04] | The president of the United States. | 女士和先生们,美国总统 |
[39:06] | Good morning. | 早安 |
[39:08] | I love you all, but two days without fresh clothes, I may switch parties. | 早安 我爱大家,但是两天不换衣服 我可能会换党 |
[39:12] | Whose toothpaste was this? | 这是谁的牙膏 |
[39:15] | – What did I miss? – We’re reconsidering our strategy. | 我错过了什么 我们在重新思考策略 |
[39:18] | Let’s give it another hour, guys. | 再等一小时吧 |
[39:21] | – Haffley just called the vote. – For stem cell? | 海夫立刚刚召集表决 为了干细胞? |
[39:23] | Just now. Well, 20 seconds ago. | 就是现在,应该说20秒前 |
[39:26] | – Got your voting card? – Right here. | 票拿了吗? 在这里 |
[39:29] | Go on out there and vote. | 快去表决 |
[39:32] | – Mr. President. – Chris. | 总统先生 克里丝 |
[39:34] | Mr. President, as you head into your final year in office… | 总统先生 进入你任期的最后一年 |
[39:37] | …do you have any regrets? | 你有什么遗憾吗? |
[39:39] | One big regret, and here’s your lead, people… | 你有什么遗憾吗? 一个最大的遗憾 这就是你们的头条 |
[39:43] | …is my failure to bring the budget deficit under control. | 是我控制预算赤字的失败 |
[39:46] | I know an election cycle is warming up… | 我知道大选又接近了 |
[39:49] | …and no one wants to hear about budget deficits… | 没人想听有关预算赤字的事情 |
[39:51] | …but both sides are gonna hear about them from me. | 但是两边都会听到我说这件事 |
[39:55] | That’s my campaign promise. | 那是我的竞选承诺 |
[40:07] | – I wasn’t sure you’d schedule it. – Thanks for your vote, congressman. | 我不确定你会来 谢谢你的一票,众议员 |
[40:10] | – One more vote arriving. – Thanks for coming in. | 又来了一票 谢谢你来 |
[40:13] | Angela, thanks for coming in. We got this one sewed up. | 安琪拉, 谢谢妳过来 有妳在,我们一定能成功 |
[40:24] | I thought maybe you’d join us on this one. | 我想你这次可能会来投票 |
[40:27] | – Administration bend your ear? – I made up my own mind, Mr. Speaker. | 政府有压迫你吗? 这是我自己的意思,议长先生 |
[40:39] | I had such high hopes for you. | 我对你的期望很高 |
[40:40] | Sometimes when you get them when they’re still wet behind the ears… | 我对你的期望很高 有时候当你还是个菜鸟的时候… |
[40:53] | Mr. Speaker. | 议长先生 |
[41:07] | Good match today. | 今天的比赛很愉快 |
[41:14] | – Mr. President! – What do you plan to do? | 总统先生 你计划怎么做 |
[41:16] | The young man. I don’t know your name. | 后面的年青人,我不知道你的名字 |
[41:18] | – Cody Zucker, Mr. President. – Cody. | 寇迪沙克,总统先生 寇迪 |
[41:22] | Do you think the budget deficit is especially unfair to younger Americans? | 你觉得预算赤字 对年轻人来说特别不公平吗? |
[41:26] | Absolutely. We’re passing on a crushing debt to our children. | 当然,我们为孩子们 留下的债务庞大 |
[41:30] | That’s not something a responsible parent would choose to do. | 那不是有责任的父母会做的事 |
[41:34] | – Yeah, David. – A follow-up, sir. | 是的,大卫 再一个问题,长官 |
[41:36] | Do you think we’d have such a large deficit if children were allowed to vote? | 是的,大卫 再一个问题,长官 如果小孩能够投票 你觉得赤字会那么庞大吗? |
[41:41] | Well, as adults, we’re certainly not shouldering our responsibility… | 身为成人,我们的确没有承担责任 |
[41:44] | …and your generation has a vested interest. | 你们这一代的涉猎丰富 |
[41:47] | Allowing children to vote is worthy of consideration. Thank you, Cody. | 让小孩投票值得考虑 谢谢你,寇迪 |
[41:54] | Yeah, David. | 是的,大卫 |
[41:55] | Mr. President, what plans do you have to reign in the budget deficit…. | 是的,大卫 总统先生,你有什么计划 打消预算赤字 |
[42:04] | Well done, Commander Harper. | 做得好,哈波指挥官 |
[42:06] | – Cooler heads prevailed. – All Americans home safe? | 做得好,哈波指挥官 冷静的一方胜利了 美国人都安全到家了吗? |
[42:08] | Peace in our time. | 平平安安 |
[42:11] | The surprise arrival was lead by presidential hopeful… | 令人惊讶的是 到场的是总统候选人 |
[42:14] | …Congressman Matt Santos. | 麦修山多斯众议员 |
[42:16] | It was a stunt, no doubt about it. | 麦修山多斯众议员 这是个特技,毫无疑问 |
[42:19] | Good work. | 做得好 |
[42:21] | Group effort. Santos was the brains. | 做得好 团队合作,山多斯是首脑 |
[42:23] | Two hundred and sixteen congressmen and women did the voting. | 216个众议员做了表决 |
[42:27] | – And on the squash court? – Best of five. All by myself. | 在回力球场上呢 五比一,我自己赢的 |
[42:31] | Were you satisfied with the outcome? | 你对结果满意吗? |
[42:34] | Sometimes the American people wonder what it is we do here in Congress. | 有时候美国人会怀疑 我们在国会做什么 |
[42:38] | Sometimes I wonder myself. Today wasn’t one of those days. | 有时候我自己也会怀疑 但是今天不会 |
[42:42] | – Congressman. – Yes. | 众议员 是 |