时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:05] | Previously on The West Wing: | |
[00:07] | I don’t know if I’ve served you… | 我不敢说这几天我帮了很大的忙 |
[00:09] | …very well over the past few days. | 我不敢说这几天我帮了很大的忙 我帮了很大的忙 |
[00:12] | I won’t be a punching bag for Hoynes and Santos… | 我帮了很大的忙 我才不要挨何尼斯和山多斯… |
[00:14] | …and every welterweight who wants a quick tabloid hit. | 以及其他想一夜成名的候选人的揍 |
[00:17] | Public opinion’s turning. You’re gonna see it at your events. | 公众舆论开始转变 在你的选举活动中也会感受得到 |
[00:20] | You get into this thinking to yourself… | 一开始我以为… |
[00:22] | …that you’re gonna play by your own rules, and then… | 我可以按自己的规则从政 |
[00:26] | …bit by bit, you chip away at them… | 但是慢慢的变成妥协 放弃原则 |
[00:28] | …until you can’t even name the game. | 但是慢慢的变成妥协 放弃原则 最后连这是什么游戏也不认得了 |
[00:31] | Russell and Hoynes made a huge media buyout of Boston. | 罗素和何尼斯在波士顿 大买广告时段 |
[00:34] | Close to 1800 gross ratings points. | 每个人的总收视点 接近1800 |
[00:37] | We need to change the dynamic, or we’re finished. | 我们要扭转局势,否则就完蛋了 剧名:字 |
[00:47] | It’s pretty good over here. | 这边看起来很漂亮 |
[01:12] | – Hey, Josh! – On the record, listen… | (何尼斯支持率在加州上升9%) 乔西 听我说… |
[01:14] | …the poll that matters is on Super Tuesday. | 乔西 听我说… 超级星期二的民调才重要 |
[01:16] | Off the record, no way is Hoynes up nine in California. | 超级星期二的民调才重要 我个人认为何尼斯在加州的支持率 不可能上升9% |
[01:19] | – It’s an internal poll. – Of his living room? | 这是内部民调 他在他家客厅做的民调吗? |
[01:21] | – His polling says… – That you can rig these things. | 他的民调说… 这些数字是可以假造的 |
[01:24] | It’s four days till the California primary. | 再过四天就要举行加州初选 |
[01:27] | – This is open. – Russell’s internals show him… | 鹿死谁手还很难说 罗素的内部民调显示 |
[01:29] | – …up in New York. – He’s campaigned there… | 他在纽约领先5% 他飞到那里拉票… |
[01:31] | …what, 157 times? The guy has a hack license by now. | 应该有157次了吧? 他大概也拿到运将执照了 |
[01:34] | Are you banking on Latinos, like in Arizona and New Mexico? | 你们打算靠拉丁裔选票,像是在 亚利桑纳州及新墨西哥州一样吗? |
[01:37] | – And your internals? – We’re not releasing those. | 你们的内部民调结果如何? 我们不公布内部民调结果 |
[01:40] | – I’m through talking about polls. – Because you’re third in every one? | 我不想再谈民调了 因为在所有民调中你们落居第三? |
[01:44] | We’re here to talk about issues. | 我们是来谈议题的 |
[01:46] | It’s a presidential campaign. It’s not a statistics convention. | 我们是来谈议题的 这是总统大选,不是统计学大会 |
[01:50] | But we got Hoynes up by a lot less than nine. | 但我们落后何尼斯不到9% |
[01:53] | You didn’t get that from me. | 别说是我说的 |
[02:00] | Been two days since the press asked a policy question. | 媒体已经两天没提出政策问题了 |
[02:03] | I think that was about the no-smoking policy on the plane. | 我想那是因为机上禁烟 |
[02:06] | Do you know this bill in the California legislature… | 你知道加州议会打算通过法案 |
[02:08] | …to bar illegal immigrants from getting driver’s licenses? | 禁止非法移民持有驾照吗? |
[02:11] | We’re staying far away from it. | 我们不能碰那个议题 |
[02:13] | They passed it. It’s on its way to the governor’s desk. | 我们不能碰那个议题 他们已经通过法案 案子正要送交给州长 |
[02:16] | – The congressman will wanna denounce it. – Of course. | 你知道众议员打算谴责这件事 当然 |
[02:19] | Third in the polls, why not champion the one group… | 在民调中落居第三 何不帮加州没有投票权的居民 |
[02:22] | – …of Californians that can’t vote? – You’ll talk to him? | 说说话呢? 你会跟他谈吗? |
[02:26] | Yeah. | 嗯 |
[02:28] | I really liked those little bacon things they had at the fundraiser in Ohio. | 我喜欢俄亥俄州募款餐会上 那些小培根食物 |
[02:33] | Yeah, me too. Except the fact that it was Oregon. | 我也是 但事实上那是在奥勒冈州 |
[02:36] | Oregon, Ohio. It’s a plane to a minivan to a windowless hotel ballroom. | 奥勒冈州、俄亥俄州,还不都是 下飞机就搭车到没窗户的饭店宴会厅 |
[02:41] | – You’re lucky I knew it was an “O” state. – That really ought to be partial credit. | 我知道州名有〝O〞已经不错了 那应该能加点分数 |
[02:49] | At this point, all I do is read… | 现在我只会看 |
[02:51] | …the talking points they put in front of me, you know. | 他们放在我面前的大字报 |
[02:56] | Miss Santos, pleasure to see you again, it says here. | 上面写著〝山多斯小姐 很高兴能再见到妳〞 |
[03:00] | I had such a great time during our last conjugal visit that… Page two. | 〝上次我们夫妻造访本地时 我真的觉得非常愉快…〞 ,第二页 |
[03:07] | My staff suggested I follow up and seek additional… | 〝我的幕僚建议我追踪 寻求额外的…〞 |
[03:09] | Tell them that I maxed out in Oregon. | 告诉他们 我在奥勒冈已经累坏了 |
[03:11] | We’ll be starting our descent into Sacramento’s Franklin… | 告诉他们 我在奥勒冈已经累坏了 再过几分钟我们将降落在 |
[03:14] | …in just a few minutes. | 沙加缅度的富兰克林机场 |
[03:16] | Excuse me. | 沙加缅度的富兰克林机场 打扰一下 |
[03:20] | The California legislature just passed that bill… | 加州议会刚刚通过法案 |
[03:23] | …to stop illegal immigrants from getting driver’s licenses. | 禁止非法移民持有驾照 |
[03:26] | – Four days before the primary. – Because Republicans in the legislature… | 在初选前四天? 因为共和党众议员知道… |
[03:29] | …know it’ll divide us. You got the Latino vote on one hand… | 这么做能分裂我们 一方面你能拿下拉丁裔选票 |
[03:32] | …one third of primary voters here… | 那占了总投票人口的三分之一 |
[03:35] | …and the notion of rewarding illegal behavior on the other. | 在另一方面难逃让人觉得 你有鼓励违法行为之嫌 |
[03:38] | – Okay. – The governor’s gonna be accused of… | 好吧 州长要背上… |
[03:41] | …screwing his own party. We can only lose. | 分裂党的罪名,我们输定了 |
[03:43] | – I know you’re gonna wanna speak… – I don’t wanna speak out. | 分裂党的罪名,我们输定了 我知道你打算说… 我不想谈论此事 |
[03:47] | – You don’t? – No. | 是吗? 没错 |
[03:51] | – Fasten your seat belts… – Okay. | 请系上安全带 好吧 |
[03:53] | …and prepare for landing. We should be on the ground… | 请系上安全带 好吧 准备降落,我们应该会在… |
[03:56] | Just remind me when we get to the hotel… | 到了饭店后提醒我 |
[03:58] | …I wanna talk about our new internal poll. | 到了饭店后提醒我 我要谈谈我们的新内部民调 |
[04:04] | You know Bram. He’s heading up California advance. | 你知道布拉姆提前到加州来 |
[04:08] | – He was on Missouri-New Mexico. – Montana-Arizona. | (加州沙加缅度) 他在密苏里及新墨西哥区获胜 还有蒙大拿及亚利桑纳区 |
[04:11] | – Right. The one with big hats. – Do a quick change. | 对,他想大玩帽子戏法 快换衣服 |
[04:14] | We have meet-and-greets, a quick clutch followed by a receiving line. | 我们要跟一些选民见面 还要跟安排好的选民握手寒喧 |
[04:17] | – The difference? – You met Backus at the Giants game. | 那有什么不同? 你在巨人队的比赛中见过巴克斯 |
[04:20] | Daughter’s at Loyola. Congratulate him on his… | 他女儿就读罗耀拉大学 并恭喜他… |
[04:22] | – …wife’s thyroid operation. – It was successful? | 他太太动甲状腺手术的事 手术成功了吗? |
[04:25] | Don’t mention the thyroid operation. | 别提甲状腺手术 |
[04:27] | Ed Garcia’s in your room. Then we’ll do the health-care hit. | 别提甲状腺手术 艾德贾西亚在你的房间里 之后我们要谈健保议题 |
[04:30] | – Eddie’s here? – Couple of details… | 艾迪来了? 关于拉帕拉巴支持率的 |
[04:31] | – …about La Palabra’s endorsement. – They’re huge with Latinos. | 艾迪来了? 关于拉帕拉巴支持率的 一些细节问题 当地拉丁裔居民数目非常多 |
[04:35] | – Gonna be a great hit. – Are we gonna bump somebody off? | 我们一定能大受欢迎 我们能挤掉对手吗? |
[04:40] | – Hey. – Hello, Eddie. | 嘿 你好,艾迪 |
[04:42] | – How are you? – How’s my campaign widow? | 嘿 你好,艾迪 你好吗? 我的竞选寡妇还好吧? |
[04:45] | Oh, just, you know, knitting absentee ballots for Super Tuesday. | 她在为超级星期二 安排不在籍投票的事 |
[04:48] | It’s good to see a friendly face. Everywhere I go now… | 很高兴能见到熟人 现在不论我走到哪里 |
[04:51] | …it’s TV cameras and coded produce. That’s the way the press pass… | 只能看到电视摄影机跟暗号 媒体用那样的方法 |
[04:56] | …messages us on the plane. They roll oranges. | 在飞机上跟我们互通讯息 他们将橘子滚到我脚下 |
[04:58] | The news isn’t any better, but you get your vitamin C. | 在飞机上跟我们互通讯息 他们将橘子滚到我脚下 媒体报导不会因此变好 但你能补充维他命C |
[05:01] | – How long are you in California? – Two days. | 你要在加州待多久? 两天 |
[05:04] | Redeye into Rhode Island right after La Palabra’s endorsement. | 获得拉帕拉巴的背书后 得搭晚班飞机赶到罗德岛 |
[05:07] | – We’re excited about that. – We really appreciate that. Hon? | 我们都非常期待 感激不尽,甜心 |
[05:10] | – This one. Good. – Thanks. | 这一条,还不错 谢谢 |
[05:13] | Matt, we’re concerned about this driver’s license bill. | 麦修,我们很关心驾照法案 |
[05:17] | It could be the beginning of a new wave of anti-immigrant legislation. | 它可能会引发新一波的反移民立法 |
[05:21] | We need you to denounce it in your speech to La Palabra. | 我们需要你在拉帕拉巴的演说中 公开谴责它 |
[05:24] | I don’t think I could do that, Eddie. It would define my whole campaign. | 我想不行,艾迪 我得在演说中强调我的竞选主轴 |
[05:28] | I don’t want voters to see me as just the brown candidate. | 我不希望选民把我当成 只为拉丁裔说话的候选人 |
[05:31] | I hope some of them have black-and-white TVs. | 那我希望有些选民还在看黑白电视 |
[05:33] | The governor wants to veto this, but he’s scared. | 州长想否决这个法案 但他很害怕 |
[05:36] | Doesn’t wanna be accused of torpedoing the Democrats’ chances. He needs cover. | 他不想背上导致民主党败选的罪名 他需要支持 |
[05:40] | – The governor’s endorsed Hoynes. – This is a moral issue. | 州长已经表态支持何尼斯了 这是道德议题 |
[05:43] | Telling immigrants they can’t drive, make a living? | 告诉移民他们不能开车赚钱养家? |
[05:45] | Nothing I say tomorrow will make a difference. We need to focus… | 明天我的演说内容还是一样 我们得专心… |
[05:49] | …on electing a progressive candidate. | 选出改革型的候选人 |
[05:51] | Then we can take on all the tough causes. | 选出改革型的候选人 那样子才能处理难题 |
[05:53] | Now all we need is a progressive candidate. | 我们只需要一个改革型的候选人 |
[06:04] | Maybe you don’t see more friendly faces… | 或许你遇不到熟人 |
[06:06] | …because your friends have trouble recognizing you. | 或许你遇不到熟人 因为你的朋友已经不认得你了 |
[06:13] | I can’t do it. | 我不能那么做 |
[06:15] | So you’ve said. | 我不能那么做 你已经说过了 |
[06:21] | How we doing? | 情况如何? |
[06:23] | You sat with Backus at the Giants game. Daughter’s getting honors at Loyola. | 情况如何? 你跟巴克斯一起看巨人队的比赛 他女儿是罗耀拉大学的模范生 主演:施塔科钱宁 主演:杜希尔 主演:艾莉森詹尼 主演:约书亚马尼纳 主演:玛丽马科麦克 主演:珍妮尔摩隆奈 主演:里察薛福 主演:约翰史宾塞 主演:布雷迪威佛德 主演:吉米史密兹 主演:马丁辛 |
[07:17] | You’re with the herbal medicine lobby in five minutes. | 五分钟后你要接见草药游说团体 |
[07:19] | I was doing a home health-care hit. | 五分钟后你要接见草药游说团体 我提倡居家健保议题 |
[07:21] | – This is the pre-hit. – Herbal medicine? | 我提倡居家健保议题 这会是个受欢迎的议题 草药? |
[07:23] | They’re upset that our health-care plan doesn’t cover acoustic guitar playing. | 这会是个受欢迎的议题 草药? 他们很不高兴我们的健保计划 没有涵盖古典吉他演出 |
[07:27] | We said we’d do a meeting before the speech. | 我们答应在发表演说前 跟他们谈一谈 |
[07:29] | – Here he comes. – Congressman! | 我们答应在发表演说前 跟他们谈一谈 他来了 众议员 |
[07:31] | The latest Field polls say if the election were held today… | 他来了 众议员 最新的田野民调显示 如果今天就投票… |
[07:34] | People would be surprised because it’s normally held on Election Day. | 人民会非常讶异 因为通常得在投票日才能投票 |
[07:38] | Are you urging the governor to side with Hispanics on the license issue? | 你要请州长在驾照议题上 支持西班牙裔移民吗? |
[07:41] | – I won’t tell him how to run his state. – Does it worry you Vinick’s sweeping… | 我不会指导他如何当州长 你会担心文尼克 |
[07:45] | …the Republican primaries while you’re still slugging? | 在共和党初选里所向无敌 而你还在拼命挣扎吗? |
[07:48] | They can have their coronation. | 他们要选谁是他们的事 |
[07:50] | The competition makes us tougher for the fall. And if you believe that…. | 他们要选谁是他们的事 竞争激起我们的求胜心 如果你们相信… |
[07:54] | Would you make sure that Helen’s got her speech folder? | 妳能确定海伦拿到她的讲稿了吗? |
[07:57] | We’ve got a few meet-and-greets in the hall. | 我们得在走廊上跟一些选民打招呼 |
[07:59] | – I wanna talk about this internal poll. – Sue Bowan. | 我要谈谈内部民调的事 苏波文 |
[08:02] | – We sat with you at the NRDC gala. – Good to see you again. | 我们在自然资源保护委员会同坐 很高兴能再见到妳 |
[08:05] | Why don’t you talk about global warming? | 你何不谈谈全球暖化问题? |
[08:07] | I gave two speeches on it last week. | 你何不谈谈全球暖化问题? 上星期我发表过两篇相关演说 |
[08:09] | – I never hear you talk about it. – Ma’am, this way. | 上星期我发表过两篇相关演说 我从没听过你谈论它 女士,这边请 |
[08:12] | – There you go. Hi. – People tell me I look exactly like you. | 来吧,嗨 大家都说我长得很像你 |
[08:16] | – Like looking in a mirror. – Good luck, congressman. | 我觉得我好像在照镜子 祝你好运,众议员 |
[08:18] | I think this internal’s really promising. | 我想内部民调反应很不错 |
[08:21] | – Good luck. – We’re third in a three-way race. | 我想内部民调反应很不错 祝你好运 我们排名第三 |
[08:23] | – How’s that promising? – The issues, Josh. | 制片:艾莉亚提 怎么算是很不错? 在议题方面,乔西 |
[08:25] | We’re beating Russell and Hoynes on health care, on education. | 怎么算是很不错? 在议题方面,乔西 我们在健保及教育议题 打败了罗素及何尼斯 |
[08:29] | No one’s covering the issues. All the press cares about… | 制片:克里斯汀哈姆斯 安德鲁史登 |
[08:32] | …is polls, process, horserace. | 没有人报导议题 媒体只在乎… 民调,进度跟赛马 |
[08:35] | Then we gotta get disciplined about staying on our message, don’t we? | 我们得坚持我们的原则,对吧? |
[08:39] | – You remember the Ratners. – Yes. Hi. | 你还记得拉特纳夫妇 是的,你们好 |
[08:42] | Excuse me. | 对不起 |
[08:43] | – You wanna meet the congressman? – No, I wanna meet you. | 对不起 你要见众议员吗? 不,我是来找你的 |
[08:46] | – I’m your new finance director. – You’re Hickman. | 我是新财务长 你是希克曼 |
[08:50] | – The human cash register. – Call me Paul. | 〝真人收银机〞 叫我保罗吧 |
[08:53] | I should call you a cab. Why are you here? | 我该帮你叫辆计程车 你来这里做什么? |
[08:55] | You should be at a phone bank, phone-banking. | 我该帮你叫辆计程车 你来这里做什么? 你应该在大本营用电话跟我们联络 |
[08:57] | – I wanted to deliver the news in person. – Your job’s to give me money, not news. | 我要亲自传口信给你们 你的工作是给我钱,不是传口信 |
[09:02] | And since we have no money, I thought I’d opt for news. | 因为我们没钱了 我想我选择传口信 |
[09:05] | By no money, you mean…? | 你说没有钱是指… |
[09:11] | So you’re going with the literal meaning. | 制片:麦可希斯瑞区 你是认真的 |
[09:13] | The Super Tuesday polls really spooked our big donors. | 你是认真的 他的超级星期二民调 吓跑了大金主 |
[09:15] | We’re raising on the Internet, but once we pay the vendors… | 编剧:艾莉亚提 |
[09:19] | …our cash on hand will look more like an empty palm. | 我们在网路上募款 但付给小包商钱后 导演:杰森恩斯勒 手上就没现金了 |
[09:23] | Give me a couple hours to figure out a plan. | 给我几小时的时间想办法 |
[09:27] | We’ll brief the congressman tonight. | 今晚我们得跟众议员做简报 (纽约市) |
[09:42] | – Mr. Vice President. – John. | 副总统先生 约翰 |
[09:44] | If you wanna drop the formalities. | 副总统先生 约翰 不必客套了 |
[09:46] | – I’ve no intention of dropping them. – Well, enjoy them while you can. | 不必客套了 我想还是礼貌点好 趁还来得及好好享受吧 |
[09:49] | The most exquisitely tailored straightjacket known to man. | 人类史上最精致的紧身衣 |
[09:54] | We’re pleased to welcome Vice President Bob Russell… | 欢迎副总统巴伯罗素 |
[09:57] | …and former Vice President John Hoynes. | 前副总统约翰何尼斯 |
[10:00] | Guy just got endorsed by the governor of California. | 他获得加州州长的背书 |
[10:02] | He looks like he’s been drinking out of the reservoir. | 他看起来像是喝干了蓄水池的水 |
[10:07] | I need that education statement with CBO numbers… | 我需要国会预算管理局的 教育统计数字 |
[10:10] | …not OMB. CBO. Believe it or not, they aren’t interchangeable. | 不是环境管理局喔 信不信由你,它们是不相符的 |
[10:13] | Tell the speechwriters to stop putting acknowledgements… | 请撰稿员别在讲稿开头 |
[10:16] | …at the top of speeches. The VP sounds like he’s taking attendance. | 摆出说教的姿态 副总统让人有自视甚高的感觉 |
[10:20] | – Got a minute? – No to California. | 你有空吗? 我们没空去加州 |
[10:22] | – Tomorrow? – At all. | 你有空吗? 我们没空去加州 明天呢? 完全没空 |
[10:23] | I’m not sure you’ve heard, there’s a primary there on Tuesday. | 明天呢? 完全没空 我相信你应该不知道 星期二那里要举行初选 |
[10:26] | Hoynes has the governor and the state party behind him. | 何尼斯获得州长 跟该州党部的支持 |
[10:30] | He’s spending the weekend there. We focus on New York and Ohio… | 周末他要待在那里 我们专攻纽约及俄亥俄州 |
[10:33] | – …places we can win. – Not the best time to talk about my job? | 我们有把握胜选的地方 现在不是讨论我工作的好时机? |
[10:36] | Don’t go south on me, at least make it southeast. | 别抛弃我,至少别跑得太远 |
[10:39] | No, I love what I’m doing, master of all tasks. | 不,我喜欢我的工作 我负责所有的杂事 |
[10:41] | – Mistress, really. – Fine. I wonder… | 妳真的很能干 好吧,我想知道 |
[10:43] | …if I’m more useful doing something specific. | 妳真的很能干 好吧,我想知道 我能不能做些有意义的事 |
[10:46] | Maybe my own issue area. I’ve learned these issues sideways. | 或许专攻我自己的议题 我也利用机会熟悉了这些议题 |
[10:49] | – Read this out loud. – If it’s too soon… | 大声念出来 希望这么说不会太早… |
[10:51] | Read it out loud. | 大声念出来 希望这么说不会太早… 大声念出来 |
[10:53] | “Hoynes’ plan has wrong priorities for America. | 大声念出来 〝何尼斯的计划 优先次序全弄错了〞 |
[10:55] | Tripling funds for character education while leaving science… “ | 〝将人格教育费增加三倍 导致科学…〞 |
[10:58] | Could I have the pool over here? Donna Moss has a statement. | 请记者们过来一下 唐娜摩斯要发表声明 |
[11:04] | Hi. | 嗨 |
[11:06] | Congressman, why are you trailing John Hoynes among suburban women? | 嗨 众议员,为什么你要跟郊区家庭主妇 一起追著约翰何尼斯跑? |
[11:09] | Maybe I don’t go around sermonizing about values… | 或许我不必四处宣传关于… |
[11:12] | – Pivot to home base. – I was about to. I gotta answer first. | 回答重点 我打算那么做,我得先回答问题 |
[11:15] | Just pivot. “When they learn about my health-care plan… | 要绕著重点 〝当他们知道我的健保计划〞 |
[11:18] | …which moves us step-by-step to universal coverage… | 〝能让我们一步步朝向 全民健保的美景〞 |
[11:21] | …starting with all children, that gap will close. “ | 〝从小孩子先做起 慢慢地消饵问题〞 |
[11:24] | Just talked to Garcia about the rollout of the La Palabra endorsement. | 我跟贾西亚谈过 宣布拉帕拉巴的背书支持 |
[11:28] | You realize it’s redundant to say “the” and “la. “ | 你知道在拉帕拉巴前 加定冠词是很多余的 |
[11:31] | Well, la endorsement is off. | 他们不支持了 |
[11:33] | Garcia says la congressman knows why. | 他们不支持了 贾西亚说众议员知道原因 |
[11:40] | Garcia says La Palabra’s off? | 贾西亚说拉帕拉巴反悔了? |
[11:44] | He wants me to denounce the driver’s license bill. I wouldn’t do it. | 他要我谴责驾照法案 我不能那么做 |
[11:47] | It’s one of the biggest Latino groups. This guy is your ticket to… | 该区是最大的拉丁裔社区之一 那家伙是你的铁票耶… |
[11:51] | You gotta call him, straighten this out. | 你得打电话给他把事情讲清楚 |
[11:54] | – You want me out against the bill? – Wanna come in 5th in a three-way race? | 你要我公开反对法案? 你想在三位对手中排名第五? |
[11:58] | He’s upset, but he won’t stiff the first Latino to run for president. | 他很生气,但他不会背叛第一个 打算竞争总统的拉丁裔候选人 |
[12:02] | – I’ll go see him in the morning. – Don’t promise anything on the bill. | 明天一早我会去见他 针对法案的事别做出承诺 |
[12:05] | I’m saying we trailed almost every country in every area tested last year. | 我们追踪过去年 全国各地举行的所有测验 |
[12:09] | Geometry, computation. | 地理、电脑… |
[12:11] | Will that argument blunt Hoynes’ surge in California? | 地理、电脑… 这个议题能阻止何尼斯 在加州发动的攻击吗? |
[12:14] | This isn’t about blunting, it’s about curing polio. | 这跟阻止他的攻击无关 重点是治疗小儿麻痺症 |
[12:16] | – We cured polio. – And let’s not be complacent about it. | 我们已经杜绝了小儿麻痺症 我们绝不能自满于此 |
[12:20] | No one wants to ask about science education? | 没有人在乎科学教育? |
[12:23] | – I do. – You’re Bill Brewer. | 我在乎 你是比尔布鲁尔 |
[12:25] | – I am. – No questions from Hoynes’ advisors. | 没错 何尼斯的顾问不能提问 |
[12:28] | Too bad. I was gonna ask how Bob Russell can… | 太可惜了 我打算问巴伯罗素 |
[12:30] | …turn up his nose at character education… | 为什么要将焦点转到人格教育 |
[12:33] | …with parents trying to pass on values to their kids. | 父母都希望能将他们的价值观 传授给他们的子女 |
[12:36] | We’re focusing on things like AP physics. | 我们希望将焦点 放在先修物理学上 |
[12:38] | See, this is why Russell can’t beat Vinick in the fall. | 我们希望将焦点 放在先修物理学上 这就是罗素在秋天时 无法打败文尼克的原因 |
[12:41] | He has no appreciation of middle-class values. | 他对中产阶级价值观没兴趣 |
[12:43] | You rupture an appendix, do you want a model citizen or a surgeon? | 如果你得了盲肠炎 你要模范市民或外科医生? |
[12:47] | I never said I had a single-issue appendix. | 我没提过我有盲肠炎的问题 |
[12:51] | Thanks, guys. | 谢谢大家 |
[12:56] | Honestly, your education plan is closer to my tastes. | 说真的,妳的教育计划 比较对我的胃口 |
[12:59] | – Really. – Hoynes is on a values kick lately. | 是吗? 最近何尼斯猛攻价值观 |
[13:02] | Who wants the government legislating their kids’ values? | 谁要政府规定 他们的孩子该有什么价值观? |
[13:05] | Whatever happened to my right to raise spoiled, selfish little jerks? | 我养个被宠坏的自私小鬼 这样的权利跑到哪里去了? |
[13:09] | So I take it you’re single. | 我想妳应该还是单身 |
[13:11] | – I don’t answer hypothetical questions. – Have a drink with me tonight. | 我想妳应该还是单身 我不回答假设的问题 今晚跟我一起喝一杯 |
[13:14] | We’ll get into specifics. | 我们可以聊聊细节 |
[13:17] | No. | 不要 |
[13:18] | You work for Hoynes. It’d be sleeping with the enemy. | 不要 你为何尼斯工作 那简直是跟敌人上床 |
[13:21] | Not that we’d actually sleep together. I just… You know what I mean. | 我不是说我们真的得上床 我只是…你了解我的意思 |
[13:25] | – So you’re the new spokesperson. – I think this was kind of a tryout. | 妳是新发言人? 我想我还在试用期 |
[13:30] | Nice try. | 做得好 |
[13:35] | Governor Tillman was elected with 71 percent of the Latino vote. | 帝尔曼拿下71%拉丁裔选票 顺利当选州长 |
[13:39] | – Popular guy. -67% of Californians think it’s wrong… | 他是万人迷 67%加州居民反对 |
[13:42] | …to grant driver’s licenses to people who are here illegally. | 让非法移民持有驾照 |
[13:45] | – Well, nobody told them there’d be math. – Thank you. | 没有人告诉他们这是个数学问题 谢谢 |
[13:50] | – Can I take five minutes? – Yeah, sure. | 我能占用你五分钟的时间吗? 没问题 |
[13:54] | I don’t think you’ve met our new finance director. | 我想你还没有见过 我们的新任财务长 |
[13:57] | Phil. Great to meet you. | 菲尔,很高兴能见到你 |
[13:59] | – It’s Paul. – Call him Hickman. | 菲尔,很高兴能见到你 我叫保罗 叫他希克曼 |
[14:00] | I’d much rather be called Paul. | 我叫保罗 叫他希克曼 我喜欢别人叫我保罗 |
[14:02] | Shouldn’t he be dialing for dollars at headquarters? | 我喜欢别人叫我保罗 你不是该待在达拉斯总部打电话吗? |
[14:05] | I’ll let him explain why he’s here. | 我让他解释他来这里的原因 |
[14:09] | Congressman. | 众议员 |
[14:11] | – Mrs. Santos. – Thank you. | 众议员 山多斯太太 谢谢 |
[14:14] | As much as the press care about polls and the horserace… | 媒体在乎民调跟赛马 |
[14:18] | …donors care about it more. | 金主更是有过之而无不及 |
[14:20] | Now, winning New Mexico and Arizona helped, but in the last few weeks… | 金主更是有过之而无不及 赢了新墨西哥及亚利桑纳州 的确有帮助,但过去几星期 |
[14:24] | …as Hoynes and Russell established leads in the Super Tuesday states… | 何尼斯和罗素在超级星期二的各州 遥遥领先 |
[14:28] | …our fundraising has dried up. | 我们的募款快用光了 |
[14:30] | If you look at the second page, we’ve made our media buy… | 我们的募款快用光了 请看一下第二页 我们能够支付媒体费用 |
[14:34] | …but we haven’t made outlays for direct mail… | 但我们还没找到邮资费 |
[14:37] | …or payroll or field. And that 800K… | 薪资跟差旅费的下落,共80万… |
[14:41] | …that pretty much zeroes out our cash on hand. | 我们现在是一毛都还没有筹到 |
[14:44] | – What about our Internet program? – That’s mostly 10- and $20 checks. | 网路募款呢? 大部分是十块二十块的捐款 |
[14:47] | College campuses, local democratic clubs. | 校园,当地民主党社团的捐款 |
[14:49] | – Low-dollar activity. – What’s the punch line? | 校园,当地民主党社团的捐款 金额都不高 期限是什么时候? |
[14:51] | If we don’t do something to beat expectations on Tuesday… | 如果星期二我们无法做出 令人出乎意料之外的事 |
[14:56] | …I don’t see how we can continue the campaign. | 我想我们无法再竞选下去 |
[15:03] | Russell announced he’s not campaigning here. | 罗素刚宣布他不会到这里来拉票 |
[15:05] | Cancel the Rhode Island-New York swing… | 我们取消罗德岛及纽约行程 |
[15:07] | …focus all our resources here in California. | 将所有资源集中在加州 |
[15:10] | We can’t overtake Hoynes, but maybe we can squeak by Russell… | 我们无法超越何尼斯 但或许我们能挤下罗素 |
[15:13] | …come in second. | 登上第二位 |
[15:17] | Let’s do it. | 就这么办吧 |
[15:19] | Great. | 好 |
[15:22] | If we come in second, you can raise enough to keep going? | 如果我们跃居第二 你能募到足够经费继续竞选吗? |
[15:25] | – Most likely. – And if we don’t? | 可能性非常大 如果我们办不到呢? |
[15:26] | – Burn that bridge when we get to it. – The Texas primary’s in two weeks. | 可能性非常大 如果我们办不到呢? 我们得采取坚壁清野政策 两星期后要举行德州初选 |
[15:30] | Hickman, what are my backup options? | 希克曼,有什么备案? |
[15:33] | Well, none. | 没有备案 |
[15:36] | Even a bare-bones campaign in Texas would cost 300, 400 grand. | 即使是在德州的只做基本的竞选 都得花掉我们三、四十万 |
[15:39] | – Can we borrow? – That’s illegal. | 我们能借钱吗? 那是违法的 |
[15:41] | Election law prohibits borrowing. | 我们能借钱吗? 那是违法的 选举法禁止候选人借钱竞选 |
[15:43] | – Except from the candidate. – Technically, that’s right. | 选举法禁止候选人借钱竞选 除非候选人自掏腰包 技术来说是那样的 |
[15:46] | So technically we can mortgage our house… | 技术上来说 我们可以拿房子去抵押 |
[15:48] | – …loan the money to the campaign. – Josh is right. Let’s burn that… | 借钱来竞选 乔西说的对,我们得坚… |
[15:52] | And plan our Texas campaign on the back of a napkin? | 在餐巾纸背面 写下我们的德州竞选计划? |
[15:55] | Congressman, if you took on that level of personal debt… | 众议员,如果你要做私人借贷 |
[15:58] | …you’d be paying it off for years. | 你可能得花好几年的时间还债 |
[16:00] | – The only way you can do that is by… – By what? | 你可能得花好几年的时间还债 你唯一的还债方式是… 是什么? |
[16:03] | By going back to Congress. | 你得重回国会 |
[16:05] | Because no one writes checks to retired politicians. | 你得重回国会 因为没有人会开支票 给退休的政客 |
[16:10] | Have the lawyers draw up the mortgage papers. | 请律师拟好抵押文件 |
[16:15] | What, we don’t want the papers as backup? | 什么? 我们不能事先准备好文件吗? |
[16:17] | If we come in second here, it’s moot, right? | 如果我们能攀升到第二名 就不必这么做了,对吧? |
[16:19] | – Probably. – So let’s come in second. | 或许 我们得加油攀升到第二名 |
[16:22] | – Thank you, congressman. – Thank you, sir. | 谢谢众议员 谢谢 |
[16:41] | Will? | 威尔 |
[16:44] | Will? | (纽约,凌晨3点24分) 威尔 |
[16:47] | Will. | 威尔 |
[16:51] | Will. | 威尔 |
[16:52] | Hoynes wants to colonize Mars with nonviolent drug offenders. | 威尔 何尼斯想用非暴力吸毒犯 殖民火星 |
[16:55] | Recidivism…. | 累犯… |
[17:01] | It’s 3 a. m. What are you pouring on my head? | 现在是凌晨三点 妳往我头上倒了什么? |
[17:03] | I couldn’t sleep. Hoynes’ issues director invited me for a drink. | 我睡不著 何尼斯的议题主任约我喝一杯 |
[17:07] | – You pour it on my head. – I said it was sleeping with the enemy… | 所以妳把酒倒到我头上 我说那像是跟敌人上床 |
[17:10] | …which I didn’t mean literally. | 我不是真的跟他上床 |
[17:12] | If you’re asking if you should have slept… | 我不是真的跟他上床 如果妳要问我妳能不能 |
[17:14] | …with the issues director, do what you want. | 跟那个议题主任上床 随便妳 |
[17:16] | Hoynes was supposed to fly to California… | 何尼斯昨晚应该飞到加州 |
[17:19] | …for two policy speeches in San Diego. | 何尼斯昨晚应该飞到加州 到圣地牙哥发表两篇政策演说 |
[17:21] | Why would his issues director be in New York, inviting me for a drink? | 到圣地牙哥发表两篇政策演说 为什么他的议题主任 会待在纽约约我去喝一杯? |
[17:24] | The whole sleeping-with-the-enemy thing? | 这和跟敌人上床有关系? |
[17:26] | What if Hoynes won’t be in California? A head-fake so we won’t campaign there. | 这和跟敌人上床有关系? 如果何尼斯不去加州了呢? 他使出障眼法要我们别到那里去 |
[17:30] | He could’ve left staff. He could have a sore throat. | 他可能要幕僚留在这里 或许他喉咙痛 |
[17:33] | For Super Tuesday, you campaign from a gurney if you have to. | 为了超级星期二 有必要的话你得推著病床赶过去 |
[17:50] | – Hello. – Hi, Susan, sorry to wake you. | 喂 苏珊,抱歉吵醒妳 |
[17:53] | No, I’m calling from a fishing trawler. Yes, I know it’s 3 in the morning. | 不,我是从钓鱼拖船上打给妳的 对,我知道现在是凌晨三点 |
[17:57] | I need to know if there’s been any middle-of-the-night change… | 我想知道何尼斯的行程表 |
[18:00] | …to Hoynes’ schedule, as silly as that sounds. | 是否临时有了改变 我知道这听起来很愚蠢 |
[18:03] | He cancelled San Diego… | 他取消圣地牙哥之行 |
[18:05] | – Don’t say anything. – No? Of course. Thanks. | 他取消圣地牙哥之行 别告诉其他人 是吗?当然,谢谢 |
[18:10] | Hoynes cancelled his San Diego fundraiser. | 何尼斯取消圣地牙哥募款餐会 |
[18:12] | He’s spending a few more hours in New York. Apparently, it’s a sore throat. | 何尼斯取消圣地牙哥募款餐会 他要在纽约多待几小时 很明显地他喉咙痛 |
[18:16] | Wake up the staff. If Hoynes isn’t going to California… | 叫醒大家 如果何尼斯不去加州 |
[18:19] | …what the hell are we doing in New York? | 我们待在纽约做什么? (沙加缅度,凌晨12点40分) |
[18:32] | – Aren’t you gonna say something? – About what? | 妳不说话吗? 我要说什么? |
[18:34] | Tomorrow’s weather forecast? | 妳不说话吗? 我要说什么? 明天的天气预报吗? |
[18:36] | Seasonably warm. They don’t even have seasons in California. | 明天的天气预报吗? 天气很暖和 加州根本算不上四季分明 |
[18:39] | – It’s just a backup. – This is all about Texas, isn’t it? | 那只是备案 这都是为了德州,对吧? |
[18:42] | What, we don’t even want a backup? | 什么?我们不需要备案? |
[18:44] | Don’t do this to me. | 什么?我们不需要备案? 别这样子对我 |
[18:46] | Here I am, trapped in a Tammy Wynette medley… | 别这样子对我 我来到这里 被逼著当泰咪温妮特歌中的女人 |
[18:49] | …like I’m supposed to quash your ambitions, force you to rake leaves. | 我应该压抑你的野心 逼你乖乖回家扫树叶 |
[18:53] | – Good. Great. – Fine. Going back to Congress, Matt? | 太棒了 太棒了,你要回国会吗?麦修 |
[18:56] | – It’s a worst-case scenario. – For who? Me? Your kids? | 那是最糟的情况 对谁而言呢?我或是孩子们? |
[18:58] | – For what’s-his-name? Rickman? – One two-year term… | 那家伙叫什么名字?瑞克曼? 只要一届两年的任期 |
[19:01] | …and we would retire all the debt. | 我们就能还完债退休 |
[19:04] | – It’s only if we don’t come in second. – Second place. | 前提是我们必须追到第二名 第二名 |
[19:07] | Like we’re betting everything on Papa’s Moustache in the fourth, which we are. | 我们拿一切下赌注 才追到现在的第四名 |
[19:25] | Hey, it’s your house too. | 那也是妳的房子 |
[19:28] | Tell me not to, and I won’t. | 只要妳拒绝,我就不会那么做 |
[19:34] | One two-year term and then what? You won’t run for president again? | 一届两年的任期,然后呢? 你不会再竞选总统? |
[19:38] | Tell me not to, and I won’t. | 只要妳拒绝,我就不会那么做 |
[19:50] | Congressman, would you sign my hernia truss? | 众议员 你能在我的疝气托带上签名吗? |
[19:52] | – Oh, boy, I don’t know… – No, I manufacture them. | 众议员 你能在我的疝气托带上签名吗? 天啊,我不知道… 不,我是制造商 |
[19:55] | – The 4th biggest wholesaler in the state. – Okay. | 全国第四大批发商 好吧 |
[19:59] | “Thanks for the support. “ | 〝谢谢你的支持〞 |
[20:02] | Let’s go, congressman, reporters are waiting. | 快走吧,众议员 记者们在等你 |
[20:10] | Come in. | 请进 |
[20:15] | – Mrs. Santos. – Call me Helen. | 山多斯太太 叫我海伦 |
[20:17] | You make me sound like a grandmother, or a shop teacher. | 山多斯太太 叫我海伦 你让我觉得我像个老奶奶 或建教合作的老师 |
[20:20] | He’s doing TV interviews if you’re looking for him. | 如果妳要找他 他在接受电视专访 |
[20:23] | No, I’m looking for you. | 不,我要找你 |
[20:24] | – I wanna talk about… – Don’t sign those loan papers. | 不,我要找你 我想谈谈… 别签贷款文件 |
[20:30] | There are bad tradeoffs in this business, but… | 这一行有些烂交易,但… |
[20:32] | Are there bad tradeoffs for the staff? | 对幕僚来说也有交易吗? |
[20:35] | Those long hours must be dreadful, and the fast food… | 对幕僚来说也有交易吗? 长时间工作真的很累人 速食… |
[20:38] | I feel terrible about that meeting. | 关于那次会谈的事我很抱歉 |
[20:43] | What chance do we have of coming in second, Josh? | 我们攀升到第二名的机率有多大? |
[20:47] | We have a chance. | 我们的确有机会 |
[20:50] | What chance? | 机会多大? |
[20:52] | Pretty small one. | 机会多大? 非常小 |
[20:58] | Well, thanks for talking shop. | 谢谢你告诉我 |
[21:06] | Where are the reporters? | 记者在哪里? |
[21:08] | Satellite interviews. You hear questions via earpiece. | 记者在哪里? 卫星专访 你能透过耳机听见问题 |
[21:11] | – Fake window? – Adds psychological lightness. | 假视窗? 能加上心理作用的灯光 |
[21:13] | – Do they do home installations? – We’re starting with KSEE out of Fresno. | 假视窗? 能加上心理作用的灯光 他们愿意到我家施工吗? 首先是佛雷斯诺的KSEE |
[21:17] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[21:21] | Hi, Lisa. Good to be with you. | 妳好,丽莎,很高兴接受妳的访问 |
[21:24] | There are important things to focus on, like health care. | 我们有很多必须注意的重点 譬如说健保 |
[21:27] | I have a plan which moves us towards universal coverage… | 我的计划能让我们 一步步迈向全民健保的美景 |
[21:30] | – …step by step, starting with children. – KGET, Bakersfield. | 首先从小孩子开始 贝克斯菲尔的KGET |
[21:34] | When they see my health-care plan which moves us step by step…. | 当他们看到我的健保计划 能一步步让我们… |
[21:37] | – KNTV, San Jose. – That’s a decision for the governor. | 圣荷西的KNTV 那是州长的决定 |
[21:40] | I’m focused on national issues, like health care. | 我的重点是全国性议题 譬如说健保 |
[21:43] | KSBW, Salinas. | 沙利纳斯的KSBW |
[21:45] | Maybe I better do a better job educating people about my health-care plan. | 沙利纳斯的KSBW 或许我更适合教育人民 我所拟出的健保计划 |
[21:49] | I’m sorry, I can’t hear the question. | 对不起,我听不到问题 |
[21:51] | But I will say that one issue at stake in this election is health care. | 对不起,我听不到问题 我想在这次选举中 关键议题是健保 |
[21:55] | Health care. | 健保 |
[22:02] | – Eddie, good to see you. – Josh, come in. | (拉帕拉巴) 艾迪,很高兴能见到你 乔西,请进 |
[22:06] | I have to hand it to you. You’ve taught Matt a lot about politics… | 我得好好夸你一番 在几个月内 |
[22:09] | – …in a few short months. – It took a while to get our sea legs. | 你教会麦修很多政治运作 要熟悉得花点时间 |
[22:13] | More like concrete shoes. | 应该是说精通吧 |
[22:15] | The Matt Santos I knew wouldn’t stay silent for three seconds… | 应该是说精通吧 我认识的麦修山多斯 不会在这样的反移民政策上 |
[22:18] | – …on an anti-immigrant assault like this. – Bob Russell… | 沉默太久 巴伯罗素… |
[22:21] | …just came out in favor of the bill. | 刚刚表达他支持此法案 |
[22:25] | He’s not even campaigning in California. He could beat us on this alone. | 他甚至用不到加州来拉票 光靠这一点他就能打败我们 |
[22:30] | How do you think voting rights polled in the 1960s? | 你对1960年代的 投票权民调有什么想法? |
[22:33] | – Jim Crow in the 1870s? – You know the arguments. | 1870年代的吉姆克劳法? 你知道争议在哪儿 |
[22:36] | People use driver’s licenses to buy guns, board airplanes. | 1870年代的吉姆克劳法? 你知道争议在哪儿 人们可以拿驾照买枪跟搭飞机 |
[22:39] | Let’s come up with a better form of ID. | 我们得做出更棒的身分证 |
[22:41] | – The people are here illegally. – If it’s illegality… | 我们得做出更棒的身分证 他们是非法移民 如果重点是非法 |
[22:44] | …why don’t we take licenses from murderers? | 我们何不吊销杀人犯的驾照? |
[22:46] | Manson probably still has his. | 我们何不吊销杀人犯的驾照? 曼森或许还有驾照 |
[22:48] | – Charlie’s not tailgating on the 405. – If we don’t give these people licenses… | 曼森或许还有驾照 查理没在405公路上尾随前车 如果我们不给这些人驾照 |
[22:52] | …you think they’re gonna go back to Mexico? | 你觉得他们就会回墨西哥吗? |
[22:55] | They’ll drive without insurance. We can’t track them. | 他们会在没保险的情况下开车 我们无法追踪他们 |
[22:57] | – It’s not the substance of the bill. – You know the bill is wrong. | 那跟法案内容无关 你知道这项法案是恶法 |
[23:01] | Because your old pal Matt Santos is trying to win in California. | 因为你的老朋友麦修山多斯 想要在加州获胜 |
[23:04] | You want him on the losing side of a lose-lose issue? | 你要他在必输的议题上 站在负方这一边吗? |
[23:08] | My new pal John Hoynes has the guts to take the right side. | 我的新朋友约翰何尼斯 有胆子站在正确的一边 |
[23:11] | – Hoynes? – Promised he’d come out against it… | 何尼斯? 他答应明天跟州长一起拉票时 |
[23:14] | …when he campaigns with the governor tomorrow. | 何尼斯? 他答应明天跟州长一起拉票时 会公开反对这个法案 |
[23:18] | Santos is the first viable Latino to even enter a presidential. | 山多斯是第一个可能 当选总统的拉丁裔人士 |
[23:22] | – We both know you’re endorsing him. – Not unless he takes a stand… | 我们都知道你支持他 除非他在拉帕拉巴的演说中 |
[23:26] | …in his speech to La Palabra. The governor needs cover to veto this. | 愿意表达立场 州长需要支持否决此案 |
[23:30] | If Hoynes provides it, we’ll endorse him. | 如果何尼斯愿意支持我们 我们会为他背书 |
[23:32] | Having a Latino president doesn’t advance the Latino cause? | 如果何尼斯愿意支持我们 我们会为他背书 选出拉丁裔总统 对拉丁裔人士没有好处吗? |
[23:36] | If he doesn’t stand up for Latinos? | 如果他不支持拉丁裔人士呢? |
[23:38] | You have taught him how to live by the polls… | 你也许教会他如何靠民调生存 |
[23:41] | …but when you’re off on the next campaign… | 你也许教会他如何靠民调生存 但当你们离开之后 |
[23:43] | …he’s the one who’s gotta live with himself. | 但当你们离开之后 他只能靠自己 |
[23:49] | – Yeah. – It’s Josh. | 喂 我是乔西 |
[23:51] | I’m reading that new biography of James Madison. | 喂 我是乔西 我在看詹姆斯麦迪逊的新自传 |
[23:53] | – Know what his dying words were? – “I always talk better lying down. “ | 我在看詹姆斯麦迪逊的新自传 你知道他的临终遗言是什么吗? 〝我躺下来时比较会说话〞 |
[23:57] | Rough time to learn that. How’s it going? | 我花了段时间才学会那一点 情况如何? |
[23:59] | We’re stuck in third place, so we’re moving all our money to California. | 我花了段时间才学会那一点 情况如何? 我们落居第三名 我们将所有资金都调到加州 |
[24:03] | Our base thinks we’ve sold them out, and Helen Santos thinks I’m playing… | 总部认为我们出卖他们 海伦山多斯认为 |
[24:07] | …presidential primary Parcheesi with her kids’ college tuition. | 我拿她孩子的大学学费 大玩总统初选游戏 |
[24:10] | – So about the same as 10 minutes ago. – The middle thing’s new. | 跟十分钟前差不多 中间那个消息是新的 |
[24:15] | So Santos was reading our internals on the plane last night. | 昨晚山多斯在机上看了内部民调 |
[24:21] | – “Politician Reads Polls,” film at 11. – He barely looked at them before. | 11点电影, 《政客看民调》 之前他根本不管的 |
[24:25] | You’ve been complaining about that for months. | 几个月来你一直在抱怨这一点 |
[24:28] | I know, but the guy’s playing this to win. | 我知道,但这家伙势在必得 |
[24:31] | Even when the numbers make you wanna… | 即使民调数字让你想要… |
[24:33] | – …lie down. – It’s your job to doubt. | 躺下来 你的工作就是怀疑 |
[24:36] | It’s his job to believe. | 而他的工作是相信 |
[24:38] | Just don’t let him do anything too loopy. | 而他的工作是相信 别让他做太疯狂的事 |
[24:40] | I’ll call you later. | 别让他做太疯狂的事 我待会儿回电话给你 |
[24:42] | The site diagram for the education event. | 我待会儿回电话给你 教育议题的地区图 |
[24:44] | I’m assuming from these arrows, I’m going for a touchdown. | 教育议题的地区图 我想有箭头的地方我应该都能赢 |
[24:47] | We’ve got fixed camera positions here. | 我们摄影机的位置在这里 |
[24:50] | So if you stay here, the kids are always in the cutaway shot. | 我们摄影机的位置在这里 如果你要待在这里 孩子们就会在后面 |
[24:53] | – Good because…? – Doesn’t matter how the press report it. | 那很不错,因为… 媒体如何报导不重要 |
[24:56] | They can trash the whole event. | 他们可以抹黑整个事件 |
[24:57] | If those kids are visible from every position, it’ll scream “education. “ | 他们可以抹黑整个事件 如果从各个角度都能看到那些孩子 他们会大叫著〝教育〞 |
[25:01] | – Sorry I’m late. Did you already…? – We’re screaming at camera positions. | 抱歉我迟到了,你们已经… 我们在争论摄影机的位置 |
[25:05] | – Thanks, Bram. – Yeah. | 谢谢你,布拉姆 对 |
[25:14] | La Palabra wants to endorse Hoynes. | 拉帕拉巴要支持何尼斯 |
[25:17] | – Hoynes? – He promised to denounce… | 何尼斯? 他答应跟州长一起 |
[25:19] | …the driver’s license bill side by side with the governor. Let’s beat him to it. | 何尼斯? 他答应跟州长一起 谴责驾照法案 我们得在这一点打败他 |
[25:24] | If I denounce it, it’s a seven-second sound bite. | 如果我谴责它 这只会引发三分钟热度 |
[25:26] | – “Latino comes out for Latinos. ” – Better than “Latino ignores Latinos. “ | 如果我谴责它 这只会引发三分钟热度 〝拉丁人支持拉丁人〞 比〝拉丁人不理拉丁人〞好多了 |
[25:30] | It would play into the Republicans’ hands. | 这正中共和党的圈套 |
[25:32] | You said it yourself. No one would hear anything else I would have to say. | 这正中共和党的圈套 那是你自己说的 而且这样,就没人会听我的议题了 |
[25:37] | It’s a bad bill. You should be who you are. | 那是一项恶法 你应该好好当自己 |
[25:40] | I was wrong to push the politics on this. | 我不该太政治化 |
[25:43] | I’m not taking a position. | 我不要选边站 |
[25:45] | Garcia’s serious about going with Hoynes. | 我不要选边站 贾西亚说他要支持何尼斯是真的 |
[25:47] | Maybe he should be. And not for nothing, Josh. | 贾西亚说他要支持何尼斯是真的 或许他应该那么做 他是有目地的,乔西 |
[25:50] | Garcia can tell me if he thinks I’m not Latino enough. You can’t, okay? | 如果他觉得我不是拉丁人 他自己可以说,可是你不能 |
[26:05] | – Who is it? – Donna, from the Russell campaign. | 是谁? 我是罗素竞选团队的唐娜 |
[26:08] | You know, the “character doesn’t count” people? | (纽约市) 〝人格不重要〞的竞选团队? |
[26:11] | Can I interest you in a drink? | 〝人格不重要〞的竞选团队? 我能请你喝一杯吗? |
[26:13] | They say Manhattan has the champagne of tap waters. | 我能请你喝一杯吗? 大家都说曼哈顿的自来水 喝起来跟香槟一样 |
[26:15] | – I’m not decent. – I could have told you that yesterday. | 我服装不整 昨天我也可以那么跟你说 |
[26:19] | I’m busy cooking up ways to legislate your spoiled kids into submission. | 我忙著想办法 让妳被宠坏的孩子列入法案中 |
[26:23] | – I have to have the kids first. – Is that a pickup line? | 我得先生孩子才行 那是搭讪的台词吗? |
[26:26] | It needs a lot of work. | 这需要花很多心血 |
[26:30] | – You’re not packed for California. – There’s some kind of delay. | 你没有打包准备飞到加州 发生了一些事延误行程 |
[26:33] | I’m not really sure what. Hey, housekeeping’s a phone call away. | 我真的不确定 只要一通电话清洁妇就会来打扫 |
[26:36] | They got the filet mignon of maid service here. | 这里还会请女佣送菲力牛排来 |
[26:41] | He’s just canceled his first policy speech, and Brewer’s not packed. | 他刚刚取消第一场政策演说 布鲁尔没有打包行李 |
[26:44] | Why would he be working on a press statement if…? | 为什么他要拟媒体稿,如果… |
[26:47] | Slow down. I’ll lend you some punctuation. | 慢慢说,我会等妳的 |
[26:49] | Hoynes is still here. I don’t think he’s going to California at all. We should. | 慢慢说,我会等妳的 何尼斯还在这里 我想他不会去加州,我们该赶过去 |
[26:54] | We can’t take this to the VP unless we’re 1000 percent sure. | 在还没有确定之前 我们不能告诉副总统 |
[26:57] | Get the press to call him on it. They’re buying this sore throat nonsense? | 请媒体去问他 他们相信喉咙痛的烂说法吗? |
[27:00] | If we can’t interest them in our education plan, what about this? | 如果他们对我们的教育计划没兴趣 这个呢? |
[27:04] | – Created a monster. – Bad idea? | 创造一头怪兽 是烂主意吗? |
[27:06] | No. Good idea. | 创造一头怪兽 是烂主意吗? 不,好主意 |
[27:08] | That’s what worries me. | 不,好主意 我就是担心那个 |
[27:12] | Allesandra? | 艾莉珊卓? |
[27:13] | Got a teensy little tip for the paper of record. Don’t you think it’s strange… | 艾莉珊卓? 我有个不错的线报 妳会不会觉得很奇怪… |
[27:18] | …that Hoynes lays out this big California strategy, then fails to show up for it? | 何尼斯拟好盛大的加州竞选计划 但后来他却没出现? |
[27:25] | Thank you, Mr. and Mrs. Santos. | 谢谢山多斯夫妇 |
[27:28] | Bye. | (沙加缅度,下午1点2分) 再见 |
[27:30] | – Congressman. Congressman Santos. – Mr. Santos. | 再见 |
[27:32] | Don’t you think the governor should sign the driver’s license bill? | 山多斯众议员 山多斯先生 |
[27:36] | Won’t that deny Vinick the issue? | 你不觉得州长应该 签署驾照法案吗? |
[27:38] | Not enough kids read at grade level. We need higher standards… | 那么做不是能击败文尼克吗? |
[27:41] | – …accountability in schools. – Pivoting like a pro. | 很多孩子的阅读能力不合标准 我们需要在学校里 |
[27:43] | Are you worried that you’re in third place in polls? | 制订更高的标准 摆出专家的样子 |
[27:46] | If our kids don’t read at grade level, how are they gonna understand these polls? | 你担心你在民调中落居第三吗? 如果我们的孩子阅读能力不合标准 他们如何了解这些民调? |
[27:51] | Cutaway shot was perfect. Home run. | 旁跳镜头很完美,全垒打 |
[27:56] | – They say it’s his throat. – You guys are journalists. | 他们说他的喉咙有问题 你是记者 |
[27:58] | – Unless you’ve a throat swab… – Go over this again. | 除非你拿到喉咙检查结果… 请再重述一次 |
[28:01] | Vice President Russell was going to campaign in California. | 除非你拿到喉咙检查结果… |
[28:04] | Then the governor endorsed Hoynes, Hoynes practically moved there. | 请再重述一次 罗素副总统要到加州拉票 |
[28:07] | Now that we canceled our trip, Hoynes is holed up in New York… | 州长支持何尼斯 何尼斯真的打算到那里去 所以我们取消了竞选活动 而现在何尼斯被困在纽约 |
[28:11] | …canceling his California events left and right. | 取消他的加州行 |
[28:13] | – What’s he up to? – Do I look like an investigative reporter? | 他想做什么? 我看起来像专题记者吗? |
[28:16] | The answer is, “I do not. ” Why don’t you go do your jobs? | 答案是〝我不像〞 你们何不赶快去工作? |
[28:23] | Go. | 快去 |
[28:27] | Are we doing enough free media in the Los Angeles schedule? | 洛杉矶那边的媒体专访够多吗? |
[28:30] | There’s a story in New York. Hoynes might not be coming to California. | 纽约那边有状况 何尼斯可能不会来加州 |
[28:33] | – Not at all? – That’s the rumor. | 真的吗? 谣传是如此 |
[28:35] | His whole itinerary was a fake out so that Russell wouldn’t campaign here. | 真的吗? 谣传是如此 他捏造竞争行程 让罗素无法到这里拉票 |
[28:39] | Hoynes puts California in the bank, dukes it out with Russell back East. | 何尼斯放弃加州 跟罗素在东区决生死 |
[28:43] | – If he doesn’t come… – He takes no stand on the license bill… | 如果他不来… |
[28:46] | …doesn’t keep his promise to Garcia. We’ve got about… | 他无法履行他对贾西亚的承诺 |
[28:49] | …five of our reporters working on it. He may be trying to draw us out. | 公开反对驾照法案 我们请… 五位记者去查了 或许他想要骗我们出招 |
[28:52] | Latino comes out for Latinos and Hoynes attacks us on immigration and terrorism. | 拉丁人支持拉丁人 何尼斯用移民及恐怖主义攻击我们 |
[28:57] | – Maybe. – So Matt’s the only candidate… | 或许吧 麦修是唯一… |
[29:00] | …who is here in California, and yet he’s in third place. | 待在加州的候选人 但他在民调中只拿下第三名 |
[29:03] | How many reporters did you say we have on this story? | 有多少记者在追这个消息? |
[29:06] | – Five? – About. | 五个吗? 差不多 |
[29:07] | – Let’s try and make it 10. – We’re ready for takeoff. | 五个吗? 差不多 加到十个 我们准备出发了 (何尼斯在哪里?) |
[29:13] | Hoynes has a cold. He’ll be flying to California. | (纽约市晚上9点51分) 何尼斯只是小感冒 他会飞到加州 |
[29:16] | Why not rest on the plane? | 他何不在飞机上休息? |
[29:18] | – His gambit’s looking like a shell game. – John Hoynes is not a gambling man. | 他何不在飞机上休息? 他下的赌注太大了 约翰何尼斯不是赌徒 |
[29:22] | You shake hands with every vendor in Manhattan… | 你可以跟曼哈顿所有小贩握手 |
[29:24] | …see if you don’t come home with a great big germ cocktail. | 你可以跟曼哈顿所有小贩握手 看看自己回家时 会不会带著满身的细菌 |
[29:27] | I’d love to chat. I’ve gotta sit in my room… | 我很想继续聊 我会坐在我的房间里 |
[29:30] | …and wait for your next hectoring phone call. | 我很想继续聊 我会坐在我的房间里 等你的下一通恐吓电话 |
[29:32] | Find out what in Jane’s name we’re still doing in New York City? | 等你的下一通恐吓电话 查出为什么我们还待在纽约市 |
[29:39] | A full 13 and a half minutes. Where you been? | 已经过了13分钟半 你跑到哪里去了? |
[29:42] | Who cares if Russell’s making hay by saying illegals shouldn’t get licenses? | 已经过了13分钟半 你跑到哪里去了? 谁在乎罗素要未雨绸缪 反对非法移民取得驾照? |
[29:46] | Who cares if Hoynes thrashes us on it? | 谁在乎何尼斯会不会重挫我们? |
[29:49] | Don’t we score points for opposing public opinion? | (洛杉矶,下午4点10分) 我们反对一般民众的看法 应该得点分吧? |
[29:51] | He’s not wrong. He’ll marginalize himself. | 我们反对一般民众的看法 应该得点分吧? 他没有错,他在树立个人风格 |
[29:54] | Latino backs Latinos, dog bites man, Madison takes a nap. | 他没有错,他在树立个人风格 拉丁人支持拉丁人,狗咬人 麦迪逊在睡午觉 |
[29:57] | But now the guy’s talking about mortgaging his house… | 但他考虑抵押他的房子 |
[30:00] | …stirring up the press about Hoynes… | 要媒体去追何尼斯 |
[30:02] | …muzzling himself on issues he cares about. | 要媒体去追何尼斯 不谈他在乎的议题 |
[30:04] | And for what, the vain hope of a silver medal? | 不谈他在乎的议题 为什么? 为了抢下第二名的微弱希望? |
[30:07] | I’ve seen this in tons of candidates. | 我看过很多候选人这么做 |
[30:11] | Ride’s almost over. They wanna hang on. | 竞选活动即将结束 他们想保住一席之地 |
[30:14] | The crowds, the adrenaline. You wait… | 群众,兴奋的气氛,你等著看… |
[30:17] | – … he’ll even miss the bad headlines. – You think it’s almost over? | 群众,兴奋的气氛,你等著看… 他甚至连烂头条都登不上 你觉得一切快结束了吗? |
[30:21] | I think you’ve done a remarkable job. | 我觉得你表现得很好 |
[30:24] | I think you’ve taken a junior House nobody and made him a national brand… | 你让一个默默无闻的菜鸟众议员 成为全国性人物 |
[30:27] | …a contender for the vice presidency, even. | 甚至是副总统的可能人选 |
[30:31] | – He still believes he can win. – It’s his job to believe. | 他还相信他会赢 他的工作是相信你 |
[30:34] | If he keeps believing, it’s because… | 如果他还是相信,那是因为… |
[30:36] | He got it from me. He believes it, because I hammered it into him. | 如果他还是相信,那是因为… 他都是听我的一面之词 他相信因为我说服了他 |
[30:40] | – Josh. – I’ll call you later. | 乔西 我待会儿再打电话给你 |
[30:44] | – Have you seen CNN? – There’s 50 reporters in Hoynes’ hotel. | 你看过CNN了吗? 有五十位记者挤在何尼斯的饭店 |
[30:47] | – I sent half of them there. – … healthy lead here in the polls. | 有一半是我派去的 在民调中大幅领先 |
[30:50] | Shouldn’t Santos be doing meet-and-greets? | 山多斯不是该跟选民打招呼吗? |
[30:52] | They’re signing loan papers. | 山多斯不是该跟选民打招呼吗? 他们在签贷款文件 |
[30:54] | – Some are wondering if Hoynes… – You gave him the papers? | 他们在签贷款文件 有些人纳闷何尼斯… 妳给了他文件? |
[30:57] | – … has canceled his tour. – Her. Helen. She asked for them. | 为什么要取消行程 我给了海伦,是她来跟我要的 |
[31:05] | I don’t suppose in addition to your many skills you’re a notary public. | 我想多才多艺的你 应该不必当公证人吧 |
[31:09] | Don’t sign those. | 别签文件 |
[31:10] | We won’t send them to the bank unless we have to. | 别签文件 除非逼不得已 不然我们不会将它寄给银行 |
[31:13] | Just wanna make sure… | 除非逼不得已 不然我们不会将它寄给银行 我只是想确定… |
[31:16] | – …we’re covered for Texas. – It’s your financial future. | 我们能支付德州的竞选费用 这关系到你们未来的经济情况 |
[31:20] | Which is why we’re gonna come in second. | 所以我们一定得抢下第二名 |
[31:23] | We can’t. | 我们办不到 |
[31:25] | There’s no chance. | 我们办不到 根本没有机会 |
[31:27] | – I’m sorry. – We’ve got Hoynes… | 根本没有机会 对不起 我们知道何尼斯… |
[31:29] | – …in New York. – We won’t win the nomination. | 对不起 我们知道何尼斯… 还在纽约 我们无法获得提名 |
[31:31] | I made myself believe it. | 还在纽约 我们无法获得提名 我逼自己相信这一点 |
[31:34] | You too. But you can’t risk everything for this. | 我逼自己相信这一点 你也一样 但你不能为此冒险牺牲一切 |
[31:39] | You should go to La Palabra… | 你应该到拉帕拉巴 |
[31:41] | …make a strong statement against the driver’s license bill. You should… | 你应该到拉帕拉巴 强烈反对驾照法案,你应该… |
[31:45] | …remember who your friends are, not some names on an index card… | 记得谁是你的朋友 不是名片簿上的那些人名 |
[31:48] | …but the people you’re going back to. And then you should take a bow… | 而是真的会支持你的人 然后你得鞠躬 |
[31:54] | …and you should step off the stage. | 漂亮走下舞台 |
[32:10] | You know, when I got out of the Marines… | 当我从海军陆战队退伍时 |
[32:13] | …I hadn’t been in my neighborhood in Houston in a few years. | 当我从海军陆战队退伍时 我好几年不在休士顿的家 |
[32:16] | I had just gotten this job offer from the Pentagon… | 五角大厦给我一个工作机会 |
[32:19] | …and it required a full FBI background check. | 联邦调查局得对我做背景清查 |
[32:22] | After a few weeks, the investigators came to me… | 几星期后调查员来找我 |
[32:24] | …and said, “We can’t give you the job. | 几星期后调查员来找我 他说〝你没有被录取〞 |
[32:26] | We’ve interviewed all your old friends and neighbors. | 他说〝你没有被录取〞 〝我们问过你的老朋友跟邻居〞 |
[32:30] | They can’t confirm anything, not even your name. “ | 〝他们什么都不知道 甚至没听过你的名字〞 |
[32:34] | So I hop a plane, go back to the old block. | 于是我搭飞机回老家 |
[32:37] | I see my neighbor’s 11- and 13-year-old kids. | 我看到我的邻居 11跟13岁的孩子 |
[32:40] | They’re sitting on the stoop, same as always. | 他们还是跟以前一样坐在长凳上 |
[32:44] | They see me, they start running towards me… | 他们看到我便跑了过来 |
[32:46] | …and they’re shouting, ” Tio Matt! ” “Uncle Matt. “ | 他们看到我便跑了过来 他们大叫著〝麦修叔叔〞 |
[32:49] | ” Tio Matt, the feds, they were here looking for you. | 〝麦修叔叔,联邦调查员 来这里找你〞 |
[32:54] | We told them we never heard of you. “ | 〝我们说我们不认识你〞 |
[32:57] | Eleven and 13. | 11跟13岁 |
[33:03] | You’re not the only one who can read bad polls, Josh. | 不只你能解读落后的民调,乔西 |
[33:08] | I am running for president in that Texas primary… | 我要参加德州总统候选人初选 |
[33:13] | …and those kids are gonna see me do that. | 那些孩子会看到我那么做 |
[33:20] | That’s the only statement about my skin color… | 这是我在这次竞选活动中 |
[33:23] | …I intend to make in this campaign. | 这是我在这次竞选活动中 唯一发表关于我肤色的言论 |
[33:28] | – If you need a minute… – I’m fine. | 我可以待会儿再来… 没关系 |
[33:30] | You met Richter in Portland. He’s on DNC site selection. | 我可以待会儿再来… 没关系 你在波特兰见过瑞科特 他是民主党全国委员会地区代表 |
[33:33] | – His son’s a… – Math major at Princeton. | 他儿子… 在普林斯顿大学主修数学 |
[33:47] | When you asked our chances before… | 之前妳问到我们的机率 |
[33:51] | …you wanted to make sure the loan was ready if we lost here. | 妳是想确定如果我们在这里输了 贷款会准备好 |
[33:55] | Something’s happened to Hoynes. | 何尼斯阵营有状况 (纽约,晚上10点22分) |
[34:01] | – There he is! – Mr. Hoynes! Mr. Hoynes! | 他来了 何尼斯先生 |
[34:09] | – Excuse me. I need him for one second. – Yeah, I got five more supporters there. | 对不起,借用他一下 还有五位支持者在等我 |
[34:13] | …featuring an exclusive interview… | 前参议院幕僚… |
[34:15] | …with the former Senate staffer, claiming that then Senator Hoynes… | 前参议院幕僚… 在独家专访中确认 参议员何尼斯 |
[34:19] | …made inappropriate sexual advances toward her… | 对她有不当的性举动 |
[34:22] | …which is bad news to the Hoynes campaign so close to Super Tuesday. | 超级星期二就快到了 这对何尼斯阵营来说是一大重击 |
[34:26] | …woman in question was still a Georgetown senior at the time… | 提出质疑的女性 是乔治城大学的高年级生 |
[34:29] | …the daughter of a prominent Hoynes supporter. | 她是何尼斯头号支持者的女儿 |
[34:32] | The campaign spent the day in New York urging the tabloid not to run the story… | 她是何尼斯头号支持者的女儿 |
[34:36] | …excerpts of which appeared all over the Internet… | 竞选阵营在纽约花了一整天的时间 要求八卦小报不要刊登这个消息 |
[34:39] | …believed such allegations were all in the past. | 但网路上已经谣言满天飞 |
[34:41] | – A spokesman for Hoynes says… – We just went from third to second. | 相信这都是陈年往事 何尼斯的发言人表示… 我们刚从第三名追到第二名了 |
[34:46] | …that he is temporarily suspending his campaign. | 他暂时停止竞选活动 |
[34:52] | Tell the spokespeople Hoynes is dead. We’re even with Russell. | (洛杉矶,早上7点38分) 告诉发言人何尼斯完蛋了 我们跟罗素打成平手 |
[34:55] | – Is that true? – It could be. | 真的吗? 有可能 |
[34:57] | There’s no way to poll till the voting starts. | 真的吗? 有可能 除非开始投票 否则我们无法做民调 |
[35:01] | Anything from the governor? | 州长那边有消息吗? |
[35:03] | He’s not discussing a new endorsement. | 州长那边有消息吗? 他不想讨论新支持人选 |
[35:05] | He can’t stick with Hoynes. It’s a tabloid nightmare. | 他不想讨论新支持人选 他无法支持何尼斯 那是八卦小报的恶梦 |
[35:08] | Tell him Santos is a candidate for president. | 他无法支持何尼斯 那是八卦小报的恶梦 告诉他山多斯 是总统候选人之一 |
[35:10] | If that doesn’t even warrant a phone call…. Go, go, go. | 告诉他山多斯 是总统候选人之一 |
[35:14] | Thank you. Good to see you. | 我不信他还不打电话来… 快去… 谢谢,很高兴能见到你 |
[35:17] | – Watch your hands. – What’s the schedule? | 小心手 行程表呢? |
[35:19] | We’ve gotten 300 press requests, all about Hoynes’ overcharged libido. | 小心手 行程表呢? 三百位记者要访问你 何尼斯性欲旺盛的问题 |
[35:23] | – Ride the story? – We’re not riding nor spinning it. | 趁火打劫? 我们不趁火打劫,也不谈这件事 |
[35:26] | The press loves it, but voters don’t. | 趁火打劫? 我们不趁火打劫,也不谈这件事 媒体有兴趣,但选民觉得无聊 |
[35:27] | Accept as many press requests as possible. | 媒体有兴趣,但选民觉得无聊 尽量多安排媒体专访 |
[35:30] | – Isn’t that…? – We have a message. | 尽量多安排媒体专访 那不是… 我们要传达一项讯息 |
[35:32] | It’s health care and education. It’s the only way he beats Russell. | 那不是… 我们要传达一项讯息 那就是健保跟教育 那是我们打败罗素的唯一方法 |
[35:35] | – Every question will be about Hoynes. – But none of the answers. | 他们一定会问到何尼斯 但我们可以不回答 |
[35:40] | – Donna! Donna! – I had no idea about the Senate staffers. | 唐娜 我不知道参议院幕僚的事 |
[35:43] | You’ve been pushing this. You know something. | 妳一直在布局,妳一定知道 |
[35:45] | He locks himself in a hotel room. He could be shaving his legs. | 妳一直在布局,妳一定知道 他将自己锁在饭店房间里 他可能是在刮腿毛 |
[35:48] | How am I supposed to know what he’s doing? | 我怎么知道他在做什么? |
[35:52] | We’re gonna be in California in a few hours. | 我们再过几小时就会降落加州 |
[35:54] | Nothing we can do on driver’s licenses. We’ve come out in favor of the bill. | 我们再过几小时就会降落加州 我们不谈驾照法案问题 我们已经表达支持法案的立场 |
[35:58] | Hoynes is an embarrassment. Santos is a footnote. | 何尼斯丢光了脸 山多斯只是个小角色 |
[36:01] | Governor, the vice president needs you on this. | 州长,副总统需要你的支持 |
[36:03] | You wanted to see me, sir? | 州长,副总统需要你的支持 你要见我吗? |
[36:06] | I’m sorry your name is in these stories. You had no idea what this was about. | 你要见我吗? 抱歉报导里提到妳的名字 而妳根本不知道发生了什么事 |
[36:10] | – No. – They’re just filling column inches. | 没错 他们只是在填版面 |
[36:12] | If I believed everything they wrote about me, I’d be voting for Pat Paulsen again. | 没错 他们只是在填版面 |
[36:18] | That was a joke. I never voted for Pat Paulsen. | 如果我相信他们对我的报导 我会再投派特保森一票 |
[36:20] | – Will’s talking to California’s governor. – I wouldn’t call him myself. | 开玩笑的 我从来没投票支持过派特保森 威尔在跟加州州长通电话 因为我不想自己打给他 |
[36:24] | – The allegations are nobody’s business. – Yes, sir. | 阐释自己的理念别人帮不上忙 没错 |
[36:28] | – You don’t agree? – For it to be none… | 妳不同意吗? |
[36:30] | …of our business, he shouldn’t have talked about character education. | 妳不同意吗? 既然我们帮不上忙 他就不该谈人格教育的问题 |
[36:33] | Set a standard, you have to meet it. | 订下标准,你得朝目标去做 |
[36:35] | The governor won’t take endorsement meetings. | 订下标准,你得朝目标去做 州长不谈支持人选的事 |
[36:38] | He’s yanking support from Hoynes, and feeling burned by primary politics. | 州长不谈支持人选的事 他不再支持何尼斯 也觉得自己被主流政治伤害 |
[36:42] | We lead in California, but Santos has been there three days. | 我们也许在加州保持领先 但山多斯已经在那里待了三天 |
[36:45] | We won’t be there for another three hours. | 还要三小时我们才赶得到那里 |
[36:47] | If the governor endorses him, I don’t know what’ll happen. | 还要三小时我们才赶得到那里 如果州长帮他背书 我不知道会发生什么事 |
[36:50] | You have to call the governor yourself. Make sure he endorses you… | 你得亲自打电话给州长 确定他会支持你 |
[36:54] | …or no one at all. | 或他不支持任何人 |
[36:57] | Get the governor on the line. | 拨电话给州长 |
[37:02] | How we doing? | 情况如何? |
[37:04] | We shut down all our field offices… | 情况如何? 我们关掉各地的服务处 |
[37:06] | …squeezed money to air more health-care spots. | 我们关掉各地的服务处 挤出更多经费宣传健保计划 |
[37:09] | Our surrogates are blanketing every media outlet. | 挤出更多经费宣传健保计划 我们的代理人包下所有媒体通路 |
[37:12] | Unless your tongue’s got repetitive stress injuries… | 除非你的舌头已经说话说到打结… |
[37:14] | – Keep scheduling interviews. – He’s never had so much coverage. | 除非你的舌头已经说话说到打结… 继续安排专访 |
[37:18] | It’s either the sex scandal or my plan for premium reductions. | 他从来没接受过这么多访问 如果不是性丑闻的功劳 就是我扣保费的妙招发挥功用 |
[37:21] | – The governor? – He’s not taking political meetings. | 州长呢? 他不想参加政治会谈 |
[37:23] | Looks like he’s not endorsing anyone. | 州长呢? 他不想参加政治会谈 看起来他不支持任何人 |
[37:26] | This guy could’ve single-handedly delivered labor, the county organizations. | 看起来他不支持任何人 这家伙一个人就能控制 全郡的劳工组织 |
[37:30] | What if we told him we don’t want a political meeting? | 如果我们告诉他 我们不想举行政治会谈呢? |
[37:33] | What do we meet about, citrus futures? | 如果我们告诉他 我们不想举行政治会谈呢? 我们要聊什么? 柑橘业的未来吗? |
[37:35] | The party platform, Australian parliament. | 我们要聊什么? 柑橘业的未来吗? 政党平台,澳洲国会 |
[37:37] | I’ll walk his dog for five minutes with him. | 政党平台,澳洲国会 只要能跟他谈五分钟 我愿意帮他遛狗 |
[37:39] | What about the driver’s license bill? | 只要能跟他谈五分钟 我愿意帮他遛狗 驾照法案呢? |
[37:47] | – You know this meeting can’t be public? – All I need is a little leg room. | (洛杉矶晚上8点12分) 你知道这次会面不能公开? 我只需要一点喘息空间 |
[37:51] | I can’t turn on a TV without seeing you… | 每次我打开电视都看到你 |
[37:53] | …spout the same three lines about health care. | 每次我打开电视都看到你 重复三句相同的推广健保的台词 |
[37:56] | You ought to mix it up a bit. | 重复三句相同的推广健保的台词 你应该混著讲嘛 |
[37:58] | Six and a half million Californians don’t have health insurance. | 你应该混著讲嘛 650万加州居民没有健保 |
[38:01] | They’d rather hear about Hoynes’ boxers? | 难道他们宁愿听何尼斯的丑闻吗? |
[38:04] | Hoynes looked me in the eye and told me all the womanizing had… | 难道他们宁愿听何尼斯的丑闻吗? 何尼斯看著我的眼睛 告诉我媒体一定会 |
[38:07] | – …been flogged to death by the press. – It had. | 猛炒他的性丑闻 没错 |
[38:09] | Those staffers were paid for their story. They were paid by a dime-store tabloid. | 猛炒他的性丑闻 没错 幕僚收钱爆料 八卦小报付钱给他们 |
[38:14] | If we don’t give the hordes what they want, they find a way. | 不给记者他们想知道的消息 他们就会想尽办法去找新闻 |
[38:17] | Well, I look like an idiot. And I’ve got hordes outside my office now. | 我看起来像个大白痴 记者一直守在我的办公室外面 |
[38:20] | I scheduled this meeting to talk about the driver’s license bill. | 我安排这次见面 要跟你谈驾照法案 |
[38:24] | My understanding is that Hoynes promised La Palabra that he’d oppose it. | 我知道何尼斯答应拉帕拉巴 他会反对这个法案 |
[38:27] | He made that promise to me. | 他跟我保证过了 |
[38:30] | The state Republicans timed this bill… | 他跟我保证过了 共和党打算利用这个法案 |
[38:32] | …to wreak havoc in the Democratic primaries. | 共和党打算利用这个法案 破坏民主党的初选 |
[38:35] | I want a future in the party too. | 破坏民主党的初选 我也希望在党内有所发展 |
[38:38] | You think I’d single-handedly blow our chance to beat Vinick in the fall? | 我也希望在党内有所发展 你以为我想一个人毁掉 我们在秋天打败文尼克的机会吗? |
[38:42] | What if I was there with you? | 如果我跟你一起出席呢? |
[38:46] | I told Russell I’m not going to endorse anybody. | 我告诉罗素我不会支持任何人 |
[38:51] | And you wouldn’t say one word against that bill till you needed my support. | 除非你需要我的支持 否则你不会公开反对法案 |
[38:55] | I’m not gonna say a word against it now. | 我不会公开反对它 |
[38:58] | – And I’m not looking for your support. – You’re not? | 我也不是来寻求支持的 不是吗? |
[39:01] | You veto the bill… | 我也不是来寻求支持的 不是吗? 你否决法案 |
[39:03] | …I’ll be there standing right behind you. | 你否决法案 我会站在你身后 |
[39:05] | All the words will be your own… | 我会站在你身后 你得自己… |
[39:07] | …in front of about 50 cameras, all going live. | 你得自己… 在五十架摄影机前 即时说出你的想法 |
[39:10] | You’d be tagged with my veto without a bite on the news. | 在五十架摄影机前 即时说出你的想法 你会现身在镜头前 但不对媒体发言 |
[39:13] | – Right. – Are you so desperate… | 对 你这么急著 |
[39:15] | …for the appearance of my support that you’d stand behind me… | 对 你这么急著 要大家看到我支持你 所以愿意站在我身后 |
[39:18] | …while I strike down a bill that you don’t oppose? | 看我否决你并不反对的法案? |
[39:21] | I think the bill is an abomination. | 我觉得这个法案是恶法 |
[39:25] | We need to toughen our immigration laws… | 我们必须紧缩移民法 |
[39:27] | …make our borders 50 times more secure. | 我们必须紧缩移民法 让边境比现在安全五十倍 |
[39:30] | But if we’re not really willing to do that… | 让边境比现在安全五十倍 但如果我们不是认真的 |
[39:32] | …it’s wrong to punish the people we bring here to pick our avocados. | 但如果我们不是认真的 那么惩罚帮我们摘酪梨的人 就是不对的 |
[39:36] | But why don’t you just come out and say that? | 你为什么不公开那么说呢? |
[39:40] | Because people don’t need to hear it from someone who looks like me. | 因为人们不用从我口中听到这个 |
[39:44] | They need to hear it from someone who looks like you. | 他们要听到像你这样的人大声疾呼 |
[39:49] | – Governor! | – Governor! 州长 州长 |
[39:54] | Moments ago, I vetoed SB-67, the so-called “driver’s license bill. “ | 刚刚我否决了SB67号法案 也就是所谓的驾照法案 |
[39:59] | We have security problems in this country. We have immigration problems. | 美国有安全上的问题 我们有移民问题 |
[40:03] | We need to address them. | 我们需要正视这些问题 |
[40:05] | But we shouldn’t prevent the poorest working people… | 我们需要正视这些问题 但我们不该禁止 最贫穷的劳工 |
[40:08] | …the people who are here anyway, from making a living. | 但我们不该禁止 最贫穷的劳工 已经来到这里的人们赚钱糊口 |
[40:11] | It may make us feel better, but it doesn’t solve the problem. | 已经来到这里的人们赚钱糊口 或许那能让我们安心一点 但那么做无法解决问题 |
[40:15] | Thank you. Oh, I’d show you all the veto pen… | 谢谢,我本来要拿 签署否决案的笔给大家看 |
[40:20] | …but I’ve already given it to Congressman Matt Santos. | 但我已经把它送给麦修山多斯众议员 |
[40:23] | – Governor! | – Governor! 州长 州长 |
[40:26] | – Hoynes. Any comment? – Know what you should write about? | 州长 州长 何尼斯,你有任何评论吗? 你知道你们该报导什么吗? |
[40:29] | The 6.5 million Californians who don’t have health coverage. | 65万加州居民没有健保 |
[40:32] | You ought to ask Matt Santos about that. | 你们应该去问问麦修山多斯 |
[40:35] | – Congressman! | – Congressman! |
[40:39] | I agree with Governor Tillman 100 percent. | 众议员 众议员 我百分之百赞成帝尔曼州长的说法 |
[40:43] | Thanks. | (超级星期二) 谢谢 |
[40:45] | And don’t forget to vote, no matter who you vote for. | 谢谢 |
[40:48] | Oh, what the hell? Vote for me. | 别忘了投票 不论你们要投谁一票 我在胡说什么?投我一票吧 |
[40:51] | – That’s it, guys. – Okay, we’re good. | 我在胡说什么?投我一票吧 好了,大伙们 我们表现得不错 |
[40:53] | – What’s next? – Besides the mother of all lozenges? | 好了,大伙们 我们表现得不错 接下来呢? 除了健保问题吗? |
[40:56] | – He’s done 100 interviews today. – That is the last one. | 今天他做了一百次专访 那是最后一次 |
[40:59] | California polls are closing. Russell’s won New York, Connecticut… | 今天他做了一百次专访 那是最后一次 加州民调结果双方势均力敌 罗素拿下纽约,康乃狄克 |
[41:03] | …Rhode Island and Vermont. Hoynes is crumbling everywhere. | 罗德岛跟佛蒙特 何尼斯是兵败如山倒 |
[41:06] | We don’t know about California yet. | 我们还不知道加州的结果 |
[41:10] | Thanks. | 谢谢 |
[41:12] | – What’s this? – It’s a campaign plan for Texas. | 谢谢 这是什么? 德州的竞选计划 |
[41:18] | I’ll sell my own house if I have to. | 有必要的话我会卖了我的房子 |
[41:20] | – You’d be going to federal prison. – Yeah, well… | 有必要的话我会卖了我的房子 你会被关进联邦监狱 对 |
[41:23] | …need to live someplace, won’t I? | 我需要一个住的地方,对吧? |
[41:30] | I can tell you that it’s been a long day. | |
[41:32] | A tough, close fight here in a state that usually don’t see such primary action. | 我可以告诉你们这是漫长的一天 通常在初选时 单一个州不会出现这么拉锯的选情 |
[41:37] | – We got an exit poll. – I’ve never seen numbers like this. | 我们拿到出口民调的结果 我没有看过这样的数字 |
[41:40] | They need a margin of error for the margin of error. | 他们需要为误差值设定误差值 |
[41:44] | We’re moments away from calling what has been a dogfight… | 很快地我们将揭晓 |
[41:47] | …between Vice President Bob Russell and Congressman Matthew Santos. | 巴伯罗素副总统 跟麦修山多斯众议员的缠斗结果 |
[41:51] | So we urge you to stay by the TV. In just a moment… | 请大家不要转台,很快地… |
[41:54] | – While Santos has maintained… – I need you guys for one second. | 请大家不要转台,很快地… 山多斯继续… 请你们过来一下 |
[41:57] | …his solid support in both the African-American… | 获得非裔及拉丁社区的强烈支持 |
[42:00] | …and Latino communities, Bob Russell has actually picked up points… | 获得非裔及拉丁社区的强烈支持 巴伯罗素拉高了几个百分点… |
[42:04] | – We’ve received the latest exit polls. – Will you give us a second? | 我们收到最新出口民调结果 你能等一下吗? |
[42:07] | On the strength of these numbers, we’ll call the race. | 就数字来看这真的是场激战 |
[42:10] | – What is it? – What? | 怎么了? 什么? |
[42:12] | – We have a winner of the California… – We won California. | 怎么了? 什么? 加州的投票结果出炉… 我们拿下加州 |
[42:15] | …and it is Congressman Matthew Santos. | 由麦修山多斯众议员获胜 |
[42:21] | He’s calling it. | 他要发表演说 |
[42:22] | We’ve got a few quick clutches on our way to the ballroom. | 他要发表演说 我们得在到宴会厅的路上 跟几个选民握手寒暄 |
[42:25] | Steve Gilbert, co-chair for L.A. Son’s big in the college Dems. Congratulations. | 我们得在到宴会厅的路上 跟几个选民握手寒暄 史提夫吉柏特,洛杉矶的副主席 儿子是迪姆斯学院的优等生,恭喜 |
[42:30] | – This is unexpected. How do you…? – Congressman Santos! | 这太出人意外了,你好吗? 山多斯众议员 |
[42:35] | You’re the experts on the horserace… | 你是赛马专家 |
[42:37] | …but maybe folks took a look at my health-care plan. | 你是赛马专家 或许选民看了我的健保计划 |
[42:40] | – What about the Hoynes situation? – I can’t comment. | 或许选民看了我的健保计划 何尼斯的状况呢? 不予置评 |