时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:06] | Previously on The West Wing: | |
[00:07] | The only thing you can pray for in this job. . . | 做这分工作你只能祈祷 |
[00:10] | . . .is the strength to get through the day. | 你有力气撑到最后 |
[00:12] | -What? -We won California. | 什么? 我们拿下加州 |
[00:15] | How did we end up in a crouch? | 我们怎么会落到这个地步? |
[00:16] | I’m not changing my ads because of a stunt. | 我们怎么会落到这个地步? 我不会因为一个魔术 而更改我的广告 |
[00:19] | Eric Baker’s live on MSNBC right now. Says he’s not running. | 艾瑞克贝克在电视新闻上 他说他不选了 |
[00:22] | It’s the time that I can keep my commitment… | 现在是我履行 |
[00:24] | … to the people of Pennsylvania to be a full-time governor. | 对宾州人民承诺的时候 做个全职的州长 |
[00:26] | -Are you asking me on a date? -You haven’t said that you’ll go. | 你是在约我出去吗? 妳还没答应 |
[00:31] | I don’t wanna leave you guys with just a candygram and a get-well card. | 我不想只留给你们一包糖 和一张慰问卡 |
[00:37] | We’ll be fine. | 我们不会有事的 |
[00:40] | As most of you know… | 剧名:人算不如天算 大部分的人都知道 |
[00:42] | …President Bartlet won a Nobel Prize years ago… | 大部分的人都知道 多年前巴特勒总统 获颁诺贝尔奖 |
[00:47] | …for economics. | (共和党全国大会 戴伦吉柏森众议员) 诺贝尔经济奖 |
[00:51] | -Yeah. -Mr. Vice President, the governor is here. | 请进 副总统先生,州长来了 |
[00:53] | -Show him in. -Record deficits… | 请他进来 赤字连连 |
[00:56] | -…a weakened dollar… -Governor. | 美元走软… 州长 |
[00:58] | -Mr. Vice President. -…a ballooning trade imbalance– | 美元走软… 州长 副总统先生 经济发展失衡… |
[01:01] | -What have they been saying? -It’s Bartlet-bashing, mostly. | 他们说了什么? 大部分都在攻击巴特勒 |
[01:04] | One advantage of not yet having our nominee. | 那是我们还没选出 提名人的优点之一 |
[01:07] | -They could be going after you. -Have a seat. | 他们可能会咬住你 请坐 |
[01:10] | Seems you have something of theirs they’re gonna need back. | 你有他们想拿回去的东西 |
[01:16] | -It’s good of you to come. -My pleasure. | 很高兴你能赶来 这是我的荣幸 |
[01:20] | I don’t need to tell you what a critical time this is. | 不必我多说 你应该知道情况有多危急 |
[01:23] | Brokered convention. It’s been a while. | 我们筹划全国大会有一阵子了 |
[01:25] | After the first ballot, we need a consensus nominee. | 第一轮投票后 我们需要大家都认可的提名人 |
[01:29] | -Consensus? We’re Democrats. -The right ticket could create one. | 大家都认可?我们是民主党 操作得宜应该就没问题 |
[01:35] | There’s press speculation about Matt Santos as VP. | 媒体猜测麦特山多斯是副总统 |
[01:39] | Of course. But you’ve gotta think seriously about regional balance. | 当然,但你得考虑 区域平衡问题 |
[01:44] | -I think that’d be a must. -Vinick’s a moderate. | 我想那是一定要的 文尼克是温和派 |
[01:46] | States will be in play that Democrats count on. We need to protect our flank. | 我们得运作民主党的铁票区 我们必须保护自己的票仓 |
[01:50] | -Vinick’s well-liked in my state. -Pennsylvania’s critical. | 我那州选民很喜欢文尼克 宾州非常重要 |
[01:54] | From the convention straight through to the general. | 从全国大会到大选 |
[01:58] | We’re gonna wanna do everything possible. . . | 我们得尽力 |
[02:00] | . . .to make sure that goes for us. | 确保情势对我们有利 |
[02:06] | -Thirsty? Want something to drink? -Sure. | 渴了吗?要喝点东西吗? 当然 |
[02:09] | Absolutely. | 好吧 |
[02:14] | Eight is enough. | 八年够久了 |
[02:19] | Eight is enough. | 八年够久了 |
[02:22] | Eight long, liberal years… | 漫长自由的八年 |
[02:26] | …of social policies out of step with the values– | 社会政策跟不上价值观… |
[02:30] | Elevating oratory. | 煽动人心的演说 |
[02:32] | It’s Lincolnesque. | 林肯式风格 |
[02:34] | Boil your message down to the title of a bad TV show. | 林肯式风格 在烂电视节目传播你的讯息 |
[02:37] | Careful. It was formative for many of us. | 小心,很多人都习惯于那一点 |
[02:39] | -Formative? -Crush on the mom. | 习惯? 恋母情节 |
[02:41] | Very Mrs. Robinson. What were you, 8? | 习惯? 恋母情节 跟《毕业生》一样 当时你几岁?八岁吗? |
[02:43] | -Well, she seemed knowing. -Eight kids. | 她很博学多闻 八个孩子 |
[02:47] | Maybe not so knowing about contraception. | 或许她不懂避孕 |
[02:50] | -What’s he saying? -I wouldn’t know. I’m not watching. | 他说了什么? 不知道,我没认真看 |
[02:52] | Yeah, we were not watching up in the suite. | 对,我们真的没认真看 |
[02:55] | -What do we say to failed trade policies? -Eight is enough! | 我们该如何回应失败的贸易政策? 八年够久了 |
[02:59] | -To years of overregulation? -Eight is enough! | 过度管制的年代? 八年够久了 |
[03:02] | -To years of windfalls for trial lawyers? -Eight is enough! | 刑事法律师荷包满满的年代? 八年够久了 |
[03:07] | To bloated bureaucracy, runaway entitlements… | 官僚制度浮滥,权利丧失 |
[03:10] | -…and endless red tape? -Eight is enough! | 无尽的关卡呢? 八年够久了 |
[03:12] | -What say we? -Would eight, perhaps, be enough? | 我们该怎么说呢? 或许八年够久了? |
[03:15] | -Eight is enough! -Uncanny. | 八年够久了 太可怕了 |
[03:18] | Psychic. You need to. . . . | 变态,你需要… |
[03:20] | -Someone I’m meeting later. -Don’t wanna keep a lady waiting. | 待会我有约 别让女士久等了 |
[03:24] | -It’s good for her. -To years of radical, activist…. | 这对她来说是件好事 激进主义分子的年代… |
[03:28] | You wanted to talk? | 你想谈谈吗? |
[03:31] | I have a proposition. | 我有个提议 |
[03:35] | You been watching this? | 你一直在看这个? |
[03:37] | -Is the Congressman–? -Yeah, but– | 你一直在看这个? 议员… 对,但是… |
[03:41] | -It’s okay. -Sorry. | 没关系的 抱歉 |
[03:43] | -My time is your time. -Evidently. | 没关系的 抱歉 我的时间就是你的 没错 |
[03:44] | -What’s up? -I’ll just. . . . | 我的时间就是你的 没错 怎么了? 我只… |
[03:47] | You should probably hear this too. | 或许妳也该一起听 |
[03:51] | The Russell campaign, in return for us releasing our convention delegates. . . | 罗素阵营告诉我们的 全国大会代表 |
[03:55] | . . .is prepared to name Matthew Santos as Democratic nominee. . . | 他们准备提名 麦修山多斯为民主党 |
[03:58] | . . .for vice president of the United States. | 美国副总统候选人 主演:亚伦艾尔达 主演:施塔科钱宁 主演:杜希尔 主演:艾莉森詹尼 主演:约书亚马尼纳 主演:玛丽马科麦克 主演:珍妮尔摩隆奈 主演:里察薛福 主演:约翰史宾塞 主演:布雷迪威佛德 主演:吉米史密兹 主演:马丁辛 |
[04:55] | Vice president? | 副总统? |
[04:58] | -To Russell. -They’ve given us till Thursday. | 跟罗素搭档竞选 他们等我们到周四 |
[05:01] | -Don’t need it. Tell them we pass. -We do, do we? | 不需要,说我们不愿意 是吗? |
[05:06] | -What do you think? -He’s acting like the front-runner. | 你觉得呢? 他一付胜券在握的样子 |
[05:09] | -He is. -By the skin of his teeth. | 事实上也是如此 他只是耍耍嘴皮子 |
[05:11] | If this race had gone one more week, you would be the one ahead. | 如果再竞选个一周 领先的人会是你 |
[05:14] | Arguments in favor: It avoids a messy floor fight, chaotic convention. | 大家都赞成那样能避免 形成一场充满烂仗的大灾难 |
[05:19] | Also known as exciting, also great television. | 但那么做也非常刺激 是不错的电视节目题材 |
[05:22] | Also known as “The Democrats can’t get their crap together. “ | 也透露了 〝民主党无法团结〞 |
[05:25] | The best argument is, it sets you up as the consensus front-runner. . . | 最棒的说法是 那让大家在未来的四到八年内 |
[05:28] | . . .in either four or eight years. Nomination would be yours. | 会一致同意你是最佳人选 你可能会获得提名 |
[05:32] | Or you’re so tainted by association when Vinick wins. . . | 或是在文尼克胜选时 你会被拖下水 |
[05:35] | -. . .you can’t run for dogcatcher. -I don’t think anyone elects dogcatchers. | 连抓狗大队队员都选不上 我想抓狗大队队员不必竞选 |
[05:39] | -My dad ran for dogcatcher. -Really? | 我爸竞选过抓狗大队队员 真的吗? |
[05:41] | -No. -This campaign has been. . . | 我爸竞选过抓狗大队队员 真的吗? 不 这次选举活动一开始 |
[05:43] | . . .predicated on, driven by, gotten all of the aforementioned momentum. . . | 不 这次选举活动一开始 大家都清楚也明白 甚至坦白直言 |
[05:47] | . . .from the ironclad conviction that Russell can’t win. | 认为罗素绝对赢不了 |
[05:51] | I’m a three-term congressman. . . | 我是连任三任的国会议员 |
[05:53] | . . .being offered the second most powerful job in the world. | 我是连任三任的国会议员 有人要我做 全世界权力第二大的工作 |
[05:56] | Sorry. I thought we were discussing the vice presidency. | 抱歉 我以为我们在讨论副总统的事 |
[05:59] | How about we all sleep on it? | 我们能考虑一下吗? |
[06:05] | -Hey, it’s getting real, isn’t it? -Real as it gets. | 那是真的,对吧? 绝对是真的 |
[06:11] | I’ll call you right back. | 我会回电话给你 |
[06:14] | -Well? -You didn’t expect an answer. | 怎么样? 你不需要答案 |
[06:17] | -How it hit him. A read. -You know Josh. | 你觉得他在想什么 你了解乔西的 |
[06:19] | What’s he gonna recommend? | 他会做出什么样的建议? |
[06:22] | I’m not asking you to betray king and country. A best guess. | 我不是要妳背叛国家,只是猜一下吧 |
[06:25] | -I have no idea. -That’s a real coup for Santos. | 我不知道 山多斯一定很意外 |
[06:28] | -Obscurity to the vice presidency? -He’d be a fool not to take it. | 当个没没无名的副总统? 他不答应的话就是个笨蛋 |
[06:31] | It elevates him to the big leagues. | 这能让他晋升到大联盟 |
[06:33] | -How’d it go with Baker? -Receptive. | 这能让他晋升到大联盟 贝克那边呢? 他能接受 |
[06:35] | -You said nothing explicit? -He got the drift. | 不必详细说明? 他拿到草稿了 |
[06:38] | -Santos turns us down, we go to Baker. -Win-win. | 山多斯一拒绝,我们就找贝克 双赢政策 |
[06:41] | Good day. Really good day. | 美好的一天 |
[06:44] | Treasury, Commerce, OMB. I want all hands out. . . | 财政部、商务部、预算管理局 我要所有人… |
[06:48] | . . .refuting that swill the Republicans were spewing last night. | 出面反驳共和党昨晚的废话 |
[06:51] | -Hey. -Is for horses. | 嘿 那是给马的 |
[06:52] | Thank you, Grammy Cregg. | 嘿 那是给马的 制片:艾莉亚提 |
[06:54] | You can take the girl out of the Midwest– | 制片:艾莉亚提 谢谢妳,葛瑞奶奶 |
[06:56] | Fast as her little feet could fly, or not. | 妳可以带女儿到中西部… 只要她一学会走路而且长高点 |
[06:58] | Something’s wrong with the International Space Station. Losing oxygen. | 制片:克里斯汀哈姆斯 安德鲁史登 国际太空站出了问题 氧气流失 |
[07:02] | -Astronauts onboard can’t fix it? -Not so far. Got a NASA administrator. . . | 站内的太空人无法修理? 没错,太空总署主管 |
[07:06] | -. . .wants to see the president. -President’s unavailable. Bring him here. | 想见总统 总统没空,请他到这里来 |
[07:13] | -Morning. -Hey. | 早安 嘿 |
[07:15] | You watch last night’s Bartlet bash-athon? | 早安 嘿 你看过昨晚的 痛骂巴特勒马拉松大赛了吗? |
[07:17] | They think it’s Russell. They’re tying him to us. | 他们觉得罗素会被提名 |
[07:19] | Russell’s had as much to do with what’s gone on as– | 制片:麦可希斯瑞区 要将他跟我们绑在一起 罗素跟那有很大的关系… |
[07:22] | Not the best defense: “I had the job, but no one actually listened to me. “ | 编剧:彼得诺瓦 那不是最棒的回应 〝是我的工作但没人愿意听我说话〞 |
[07:26] | Get ready for press questions about how organized. . . | 导演:尼尔森马科密克 |
[07:29] | . . .and unified the Republicans are compared to us. | 准备回答媒体质询 团结一致的共和党 如何跟我们做比较 |
[07:31] | Organized. They’re about as spontaneous as. . . . | 团结一致,他们自然而然… |
[07:34] | I actually can’t think of anything as unspontaneous as their convention. | 我想不出还有什么事 比他们的全国大会还不自然 |
[07:37] | Four nights of Swiss watch precision. | 连续四个晚上 |
[07:40] | We get a pie fight. | 这是场混战 |
[07:43] | Thanks, Nancy. Steve, come in. | 谢谢妳南茜 史提夫,请进 |
[07:46] | Children. Infants. | 孩童、婴幼儿 |
[07:48] | Well, there’s a lot at stake for these candidates. | 孩童、婴幼儿 这些候选人都非常紧张 |
[07:50] | I’m chair of the DNC, and that’s what my days are. Babysitting. | 我是民主党全国委员会主席 那就是我的工作,当褓姆 |
[07:54] | Tantrums, Mr. President. “They have more floor passes. | 大发脾气,总统先生 〝他们的通行证比较多〞 |
[07:57] | We need a bigger room in the hall. We don’t like this hotel, we want theirs. “ | 〝我们需要更大的场地,我们 不喜欢这家饭店,我们要他们的〞 |
[08:01] | I’m sorry this is falling to you. | 抱歉这变成你的工作 |
[08:03] | -Until we have a nominee– -You saw last week’s Time. | 抱歉这变成你的工作 直到选出提名人… 你看过上周的《时代杂志》 |
[08:05] | -The exploding donkey. -“Dems in Disarray. “ | 爆炸的驴子 〝失序的民主党〞 |
[08:09] | You know what next week’s will be. | 你知道下周的内容 |
[08:11] | -“Republicans on a Roll”? -Something has to be done, sir. | 你知道下周的内容 〝胜券在握的共和党〞? 我们得想想办法 |
[08:15] | I’ve reached the end of my influence. They won’t listen to the nanny. | 我的影响力都已经用完了 他们不会听褓姆的话 |
[08:18] | We may be in danger of overextending the metaphor. | 或许我们太夸张了一点 |
[08:22] | We need Daddy to step in. | 大家长该出面了 |
[08:26] | A rescue operation is called for, but the space shuttles are grounded right now. . . | 需要进行救援行动 但太空梭还在地面上 |
[08:30] | . . .pending a safety review and retrofit. | 作安检及翻新 |
[08:32] | Russians can’t get a launch together in time. | 俄国也无法及时升空 |
[08:34] | -How long have they got? -Assuming present rate of oxygen loss. . . | 他们有多少时间? 根据现在氧气流失速度估算 |
[08:38] | . . .three weeks they’ll be dead. | 三周后他们就会死掉 |
[08:39] | Can’t a shuttle be pressed into service notwithstanding the review? | 三周后他们就会死掉 尽管必须作安检 太空梭无法马上升空吗? |
[08:43] | One’s missing half its wing assembly, the other’s undergoing tile replacement. | 一架太空梭少了一半的机翼 另一架在做外表磁砖的更新 |
[08:47] | Now, we can try and speed up repairs– | 我们可以加快维修速度… |
[08:49] | The concern would be losing the shuttle crew and station crew. | 但太空梭跟太空站人员 都可能会牺牲 |
[08:52] | Now, that’s the civilian shuttle. | 我们现在说的是民间太空梭 |
[08:55] | Sorry? | 什么? |
[09:00] | Can we speak with the president? | 我们能跟总统谈吗? |
[09:03] | Yeah, they wanna announce right after the Republican convention. | 对,他们会在共和党 全国大会后宣布 |
[09:07] | Blunt the bounce. Smart. | 先发制人,聪明 |
[09:10] | -How come we’re not that smart? -It’s all I’ve been thinking. | 为什么我们没想到? 我也一直在想 |
[09:13] | -Why didn’t we offer it to him first? -We hope to do better. | 为什么我们不先开口? 我们希望能做得更漂亮 |
[09:17] | -And because he’s in front. -lf Hoynes’ bimbo eruption. . . | 因为现在是他领先 如果何尼斯的性丑闻 |
[09:20] | . . .happened earlier, we’re the nominee. If New York had been later. | 早一点爆发,我们就会被提名 如果纽约州初选晚一点办 |
[09:23] | -Yeah, if wishes, horses, et cetera. -What, is that a Dylan song? | 对,早知如此何必当初 那是狄伦的歌吗? |
[09:27] | -Guys your age have this thing for Dylan. -Guys my age? | 你们这年纪的人都很迷狄伦 我这年纪的人? |
[09:30] | This is where we’re at. We got close, Russell got closer. Neither of us is home. | 我们在这里,我们很接近 罗素很接近,谁都拿不到提名权 |
[09:34] | -They offer a bird in the hand. -Know that one? | 他们提供〝一鸟在手〞的选择 听得懂吗? |
[09:37] | -What about Hoynes? -He doesn’t want it to be us. | 何尼斯呢? 他不希望是我们 |
[09:39] | You think he still thinks he has a hope? | 他还以为自己有希望? |
[09:41] | It’s his last hurrah. He’s gonna milk this. | 这是他最后的机会 他会好好利用这一点 |
[09:44] | And, yes, I believe that somewhere in the back of his deeply deluded mind. . . | 对,我相信在他充满幻觉的心态中 |
[09:49] | . . .he imagines deadlocked convention, a nation turns its Ionely eyes to Hoynes. | 他幻想全国大会无法达成结论 大家都把希望放在何尼斯身上 |
[09:55] | -Simon and Garfunkel. -Forget him. He’s a wounded animal. | 《赛门与葛芬柯》 别管他,他是受伤的禽兽 |
[09:58] | He could wind up doing anything. | 他什么事都做得出来 |
[10:01] | Matt Santos for president. | 麦特山多斯总统竞选总部 |
[10:03] | Yeah, just a moment. Will Bailey for you. | 请稍等 威尔贝利找你 |
[10:09] | Yup. | 请说 |
[10:10] | -Just checking in. -Okay. | 请说 我只是问一下 好的 |
[10:12] | Any preliminary thoughts on our offer? | 我只是问一下 好的 关于我们的提议 你们有任何初步的想法吗? |
[10:15] | It’s the next thing we talk about. | 我们正要开始讨论 |
[10:16] | Thought the congressman might wanna sit down with the VP. | 我们正要开始讨论 我想议员会答应当副总统 |
[10:19] | -I’ll get back to you about that. -Okay. | 我会通知你的 好的 |
[10:23] | I’ll talk to you later. | 待会再谈 |
[10:26] | -What’d he say? -What was that? | 他说什么? 怎么了? |
[10:28] | -Get Hollofson. -Baker’s chief of staff? | 他说什么? 怎么了? 联络何洛森 贝克的幕僚长? |
[10:30] | -He’s just taking our temperature. -We’re gonna wanna stay in touch. | 联络何洛森 贝克的幕僚长? 他只是来探口气 我们得保持联络 |
[10:34] | How long have they got up there? | 他们升空多久了? |
[10:37] | They run out of oxygen in less than three weeks. . . | 如果漏洞问题没有恶化 |
[10:40] | . . .if the leak doesn’t get worse. | 三周内他们会没有氧气 |
[10:42] | Sir, the NASA administrator alluded to a non-civilian shuttle. | 三周内他们会没有氧气 长官,太空总署人员 暗示用非平民太空梭 |
[10:47] | Wernher von Braun’s autobiography was titled I Aim for the Stars. | 布劳恩的自传书名是 《奔向群星》 |
[10:52] | Mort Sahl joked he should have added, “Only Sometimes I Hit London. “ | 莫特沙尔开玩笑说该加上一句 〝只不过有时我会撞到伦敦〞 |
[10:56] | I want hourly updates on everything that’s being done to fix this. Thank you. | 我要你们每小时报告最新进展 谢谢妳 |
[11:01] | Thank you, Mr. President. | 谢谢总统先生 |
[11:11] | -Us, they’re a little worried about. -Oh, thanks, Bill. | 他们很担心我们 谢谢你,比尔 |
[11:14] | -You know I’m counting on you. -Left, left, left. | 你知道我都靠你了 左… |
[11:17] | -Bye. -And that is exactly how Americans… | 再见 那就是美国民众 |
[11:21] | …feel about the Bartlet-Russell White House. | 对巴特勒及罗素政府的看法 |
[11:24] | Left, left, left behind. | 左翼,落后 |
[11:36] | You finish all your calls? | 电话都打完了 |
[11:38] | You don’t finish. At some point, you just decide to stop dialing. | 你不是打完了 你只是决定不打了 |
[11:44] | How you feeling? | 你觉得如何? |
[11:48] | Hard to say no to the vice presidency. | 很难拒绝副总统的职位 |
[11:50] | Well, it’s not what you signed up for. | 那不是你一开始的目标 |
[11:52] | -No one signs up to come in second. -Are you kidding me? | 没有人一开始就想当老二 你在开玩笑吗? |
[11:56] | -We didn’t. -No. | 我们不想 没错 |
[12:06] | Hard to say no to the vice presidency. | 很难向副总统说不 |
[12:08] | You don’t have to for a couple days. | 你还能再考虑几天 |
[12:18] | -Night, congressman. -Good night. | 晚安,众议员 晚安 |
[12:32] | My fellow Americans… | 亲爱的同胞们 |
[12:35] | … the body politic is ailing. | (共和党全国大会,雷苏利文) 我们的政府病了 |
[12:37] | -You’re not going there. -We have businesses paralyzed… | 你不能谈这个 我们的经济 |
[12:40] | -…by overregulation. -Tell me you’re not going there. | 因为过度管制而瘫痪 告诉我你不会谈这个 |
[12:43] | –international profile that’s a shadow of our former strength. | 国际局势 成了之前国力的包袱 |
[12:46] | -Is he doing what I think? -Foreign policy stumbling… | 他真的要那么做吗? 外交政策举步维艰 |
[12:49] | -…from one crisis to another. -The MS. He’s invoking the MS. | 危机接连不断 他在暗示多发性硬化症 |
[12:52] | –progressively falling apart before our very eyes. | 在我们面前慢慢崩溃 |
[12:55] | -This is gonna backfire. -A Defense Department enfeebled… | 这会擦枪走火 国防部软弱无力 |
[12:59] | -Maybe people won’t get it. -…so clogged with complications… | 或许大家都听不懂 引发许多并发症 |
[13:02] | -…it’s positively sclerotic. -Okay, they’ll get that. | 变得僵硬不堪 好吧,他们听得懂 |
[13:06] | I don ‘t know about you, but I am sick and tired… | 我不知道你们是怎么想 但我厌倦了 |
[13:09] | -…of being sick and tired. -You’re going to hell! | 被当成病猫 你去死吧 |
[13:13] | Josh, let’s sit over here. | 乔西,到这边来一下 |
[13:21] | How you doing? | 你好吗? |
[13:24] | I mean, I realize the VP candidate’s the designated hatchet man, but that’s– | 我知道副总统候选人 应该只是绿叶,但那是… |
[13:28] | -Santos accepts, you can get revenge. -Yeah. | 如果山多斯接受,你们就能报复 对 |
[13:31] | You think I might find five or 500 ways to call Vinick old? | 妳觉得或许我能找到五到五百个办法 骂文尼克是老头? |
[13:35] | You want sclerotic, I’ll give you sclerotic. | 妳想知道什么是僵硬 我会让妳知道的 |
[13:37] | -Santos wouldn’t do it. -Probably not. | 山多斯不会答应 或许不会 |
[13:40] | -Maybe why he shouldn’t take the job. -Maybe why he’d be a great choice. | 或许他不该答应 或许他是个好选择 |
[13:44] | -You want him to accept? -You don’t. | 你要他接受吗? 妳不希望 |
[13:48] | I have concerns. | 我担心一些事 |
[13:51] | -He’s not hitman enough. -Too much voltage on the ticket. | 他还不够受欢迎 副总统太受欢迎 |
[13:54] | -Overshadows the nominee. -People wish the names were reversed. | 抢了总统提名人的风采 人们希望提名人选能倒过来 |
[13:57] | Gets people willing to wait until next time. | 那让人们愿意等到下一次 |
[14:01] | -How’d you get so smart about this? -I had a good teacher. | 妳怎么会变得这么聪明? 我有个好老师 |
[14:05] | Thanks. | 谢谢 |
[14:09] | I meant Will. | 我是指威尔 |
[14:23] | -Okay, see you later. Good night. -Good night. | 好吧,待会儿见,晚安 晚安 |
[14:40] | Evening, Charlie. | 晚安,查理 |
[14:48] | Mr. President. . . . | 总统先生 |
[14:49] | Listening to relentless attacks upon my record. . . | 听到他们对我的记录 砲火连连 |
[14:52] | . . .seems to have left me wakeful. | 害我睡不著 |
[14:54] | Thought I’d stretch my legs, so it’s really the Republicans’ fault. . . | 我想伸伸腿 这真的是共和党的错 |
[14:58] | . . .we’re in this terribly embarrassing situation. | 让我们陷入这个难堪的局面 |
[15:02] | It’s. . . . | 我… |
[15:05] | I think, perhaps, the best thing is for us to carry on. . . | 我想我们最好装做 啥事都没发生过 |
[15:08] | . . .as if this encounter hadn’t happened. | 继续生活继续下去 |
[15:10] | Due respect, I’m having a hard time exactly imagining that. | 我很尊重你 但我无法想像这样的结果会如何 |
[15:13] | It’s 1 in the morning, we both have to be at work in a few hours. . . | 现在是凌晨一点 再过几小时我们都要上班 |
[15:17] | . . .and you’re standing outside my daughter’s bedroom. | 而你站在我女儿卧室外面 |
[15:20] | I say we give it a shot. | 我认为我们得试著这样做 |
[15:27] | -Night, Charlie. -Good night, Mr. President. | 晚安,查理 晚安,总统先生 |
[15:42] | -Good morning. -Morning. | 早安 早安 |
[15:44] | -Morning. | -Morning. 早安 早安 |
[15:45] | What’s the status of the space station leak? | 早安 早安 太空站氧气外泄情况如何? |
[15:47] | -Unchanged. -Current thinking on options? | 还是一样 现在能想到什么办法? |
[15:49] | Sections of the space station can be sealed off. | 太空站部分区域可以封锁 |
[15:52] | There are small compartments to repair to conserve air. | 修复小型零件以便节省空气 |
[15:55] | -Which just delays the inevitable. -Which buys time to fix it. | 那只是在拖延时间 那能争取修复时间 |
[15:58] | -Engineers are working around the clock. -Around the world. | 工程师日夜无休在想办法 全世界的工程师 |
[16:01] | Which is great, and hopefully will make one heck of a movie. . . | 真的很棒 希望这能拍出一部好电影 |
[16:05] | . . .but should these efforts fail, I don’t relish the idea. . . | 但这些努力都会失败 我不喜欢太空人的尸体 |
[16:08] | . . .of astronauts floating in some spaceship sarcophagus. | 漂浮在太空站里的画面 |
[16:11] | -Rescue options? -That’s NASA’s area. | 救援方法呢? 那属于太空总署的管辖范围 |
[16:13] | DOD space program expenditures for the last fiscal year. . . | 国防部的太空计划 在上个会计年度 |
[16:16] | . . .came to $22.9 billion, or $ 7 billion more than NASA’s civilian program. | 花了229亿 比太空总署民间计划多了70亿 |
[16:21] | -What are we spending that on? -That’s what the Chinese want to know. | 我们把钱花到哪里去了? 中国人很想知道 |
[16:24] | Since they’re not here, maybe you could just tell me. | 既然他们不在这里 或许你可以告诉我 |
[16:27] | -Missile warning, command and control. -Solar flare watch. | 飞弹警示、指挥和控制 太阳火燄观察 |
[16:31] | Twenty billion to tell us when the sun burps? | 花了20亿 告诉我们太阳何时喷发? |
[16:33] | -They disrupt satellite communications. -Yes, and Grand Ole Opry broadcasts. | 它会中断卫星通讯 对,还有大奥普里的节目 |
[16:39] | Are we weaponizing space? | 我们要在太空中放武器? |
[16:40] | Air Force Special Command operates and supports. . . | 我们要在太空中放武器? 空军特殊指挥部操作支援 |
[16:43] | . . .the Global Positioning System and military communication satellites. | 全球定位系统 跟军事通讯卫星 |
[16:47] | We look at ways space systems can support war fighters. . . | 我们寻找方法让太空系统 可以支援战机 |
[16:49] | -. . .in navigation, intelligence. -Is that weaponizing space? | 导航功能跟情报提供 那是将武器放到太空中吗? |
[16:54] | Space-based lasers, highly targeted, no nuclear fallout. | 太空雷射,命中率极高 不会有核子废料掉落 |
[16:57] | Space-based kinetic energy weapons. Hunter-Killer satellites. | 太空动能武器 猎杀卫星 |
[17:00] | -R & D guys talk about a lot of things. -A military space shuttle. | 研发人员提出很多概念 军事用太空梭 |
[17:04] | -Reusable launch vehicle. -Space bomber. | 可回收发射装置 太空炸弹 |
[17:08] | That has the theoretical capability of launching and dropping a weapon. . . | 理论上我们可以 朝世界上各个角落 |
[17:12] | . . .anywhere in the world. | 发射及投掷武器 |
[17:14] | With virtually no ability to detect it in advance. | 发射及投掷武器 无法事前探测到它 |
[17:16] | Out of reach of conventional air defense. | 传统空防对它束手无策 |
[17:19] | Theoretical capability. | 理论上来说 |
[17:22] | No one wants space to become a battleground. | 没有人希望太空变成战场 |
[17:24] | Is that the argument in favor of building it or of not building it? | 大家是赞成或反对这么做? |
[17:29] | Or the argument for building it and not telling anyone? | 赞成兴建但不能公开? |
[17:32] | The answer to that would be yes. | 应该是这样吧 |
[17:34] | Annabeth, is there a contingency plan to go up and rescue these astronauts. . . | 安娜贝丝 如果太空人无法修复漏洞 |
[17:38] | . . .if they can’t fix the leak? | 我们有升空救援的计划吗? |
[17:40] | NASA is exploring all their options. | 太空总署正在想办法 |
[17:42] | The precise nature of those is something best gotten from them. . . | 他们最好能想出办法来 |
[17:45] | . . .but the president has every confidence in their expertise. | 但总统非常相信他们的专业性 |
[17:49] | What’s the White House reaction to the Bartlet-bashing. . . | 白宫对共和党全国大会 |
[17:51] | . . .at the Republican convention? | 痛骂巴特勒有什么反应? |
[17:53] | -I’m not aware anyone here’s seen it. -No one? | 我不知道有谁看过 没有人看过吗? |
[17:56] | We have a country to mis-run. | 我们得把国家治理得乱七八糟 |
[17:58] | -So you saw it. -I gleaned the gist. | 妳看到了 我大概看了一下 |
[18:00] | “Republican good, Democrat bad. ” Sophisticated dialectic. Nuanced. | 〝共和党很棒,民主党很烂〞 优雅的台词,相当微妙 |
[18:04] | Care to comment on the expected contrast. . . | 你想评论共和党 |
[18:06] | . . .between the high degree of discipline in the Republican convention. . . | 全国大会设立的高标准 |
[18:10] | . . .and the Democrat’s anticipated free-for-all? | 跟民主党自由作风的对比吗? |
[18:13] | I believe the people will be the beneficiaries. . . | 我相信美国人民能 |
[18:15] | . . .in that they will be presented a clear choice. | 因为他们所做出的选择而获利 |
[18:18] | Do they want to be governed by people who are animated or animatronic? | 他们想被动画人或机器人统治吗? |
[18:23] | Mr. President? The first lady’s back, and Leo’s here. | 总统先生,第一夫人回来了 里奥来了 |
[18:26] | -Send him in, please. -Mr. McGarry. | 请他进来 马加瑞先生 |
[18:29] | -Morning, Mr. President. -Leo. | 早安,总统先生 里奥 |
[18:31] | -How you feeling, sir? -Vexed, riled, irked. | 你觉得如何? 生气、愤怒、苦恼 |
[18:35] | -The Republican convention. -Ticked, honked, pissed. | 共和党全国大会 火大、激愤、不高兴 |
[18:38] | -You can’t take it personally. -I keep telling myself. | 那跟私人恩怨无关 我也一直那么告诉自己 |
[18:40] | Problem is, once you’re telling yourself that, it’s too damn late. | 问题是当你开始那么告诉自己时 通常一切都太迟了 |
[18:44] | -Already taking it personally. -Gonna be more next couple nights. | 你已经将它视为私人恩怨 或许我得再气上几晚 |
[18:48] | I’ve got calls from everybody in the party about ours. | 党里的人打电话给我 谈我们的事 |
[18:51] | -Rorsche is going to pieces. -Rock that he is. | 洛希死定了 没错 |
[18:54] | I thought he might cry in here. Actual tears. | 我认为他会到这里来哭诉 真的流下眼泪 |
[18:56] | With no nominee, they’re running over him. | 没有提名人,他们会杀了他 |
[18:59] | We need someone strong to organize the damn thing. | 我们得找个够力的人士负责此事 |
[19:01] | -Wonder who we can get. -lf it helps. . . | 不知道我们能找谁 如果这么做有帮助 |
[19:04] | . . .it gives me no pleasure dumping this damn thing on you. | 我不是幸灾乐祸 但这件事就交给你了 |
[19:07] | The pleasure of not having to do it yourself. | 你是高兴不必自己来 |
[19:09] | Which is not inconsiderable. | 那也不算是太草率 |
[19:11] | Let’s get representatives of the three candidates in here. . . | 我们得请三位候选人的代表过来 |
[19:15] | . . .set down some ground rules, establish a tone. | 设定一些规则跟基调 |
[19:17] | A floor fight doesn’t have to devolve into a brawl. | 三强厮杀不一定会引发混战 |
[19:20] | Is there anything to these press rumors of a Russell-Santos deal? | 媒体会拿罗素跟山多斯的事 开玩笑吗? |
[19:24] | Be the smart move. | 那招真的很聪明 |
[19:25] | Latino on the ticket from Texas, gives us a shot there. Florida. | 那招真的很聪明 来自德州的拉丁裔候选人当副总统 能帮我们拉到那里的票,还有佛州 |
[19:29] | Maybe even makes California contestable. | 甚至能在加州相抗衡 |
[19:31] | Let’s not get carried away. The Southwest? | 别说的太过火,西南部? |
[19:33] | Vinick’s politics put these in play. | 文尼克擅于玩弄这些政治招数 |
[19:35] | One way or another, we’re coming out of this with a nominee. | 不论如何我们都会选出提名人 |
[19:39] | Be nice if he didn’t seem like merely the last clown standing. | 就算他一付不可能会当选的样子 也要对他好一点 |
[19:43] | Now, this space walk is scheduled for 0900 hours Houston time… | 预定在休士顿时间九点整 进行太空漫步 |
[19:47] | … to again try and source the oxygen leak. | 试著再度解决氧气外泄的问题 |
[19:49] | Now, the problem with space walks is they’re strenuous… | 太空漫步的问题 是他们得花很多力气 |
[19:52] | …resulting in increased oxygen consumption. | 导致氧气消耗量增加 |
[19:55] | Obviously, not an optimal condition at this juncture. | 很明显 这个接合处无法目视 |
[19:57] | The American people can be assured, we on the ground… | 美国人可以相信 我们在地面上 |
[20:00] | …are doing everything possible to assist these astronauts at this time. | 尽力协助这些太空人 |
[20:05] | -How was your trip? -You didn’t haul yourself up here. . . | 玩的还开心吧? 身为总统你不能一大早 |
[20:08] | . . .in the middle of a presidential morning. . . | 跑到这里来 |
[20:10] | . . .just to inquire about my trip– | 问我玩的开不开心… |
[20:13] | Oh, my God. I can’t remember where I was. | 天啊,我不记得我去过哪里 |
[20:15] | Folk dancing, people winning things, and lots of fiddles screeching. | 民族舞,有人赌赢了 还有很多小提琴声 |
[20:19] | I’m sure the fiddles were wonderful. | 我相信小提琴应该很棒 |
[20:22] | Maybe it was me doing the screeching. Inside. | 或许那让我在心里放声大叫 |
[20:24] | I caught Charlie tiptoeing away from Zoey’s room last night. | 昨晚我逮到查理 从柔伊的房间溜出来 |
[20:28] | -Caught? -Discovered. Encountered. | 你逮到? 发现、遇到 |
[20:30] | No, damn it, I caught him red-handed, skulking from my daughter’s bedroom. | 不,该死,我是人赃俱获 抓到他从我女儿的房间溜出来 |
[20:34] | Oh, I’m sure he wasn’t skulking. | 我相信他不会是溜出来的 |
[20:36] | If he’d been sauntering, there might have been a row. | 如果他一付从容不迫的样子 那么他应该是累犯 |
[20:39] | -I got a big picture of that. -Are you being blithe just to irritate me? | 我可以想像得到 妳那么高兴是为了要激怒我吗? |
[20:43] | Zoey told me about the two of them. | 柔伊跟我说他们的事 |
[20:46] | Not that she had to, because there is the small matter of the Secret Service. | 她不是因为密勤局发现了小问题 而非说不可 |
[20:50] | A clandestine is a nonstarter around here. | 在这里没人能偷偷摸摸 |
[20:53] | Then why have I been so ostentatiously kept out of the loop? | 所以我一直被蒙在鼓里? |
[20:56] | Golly. One wonders. | 天啊,真的是太神奇了 |
[20:58] | Is that actual dismay? | 真的让你很吃惊吗? |
[21:00] | Or just your assumption of the standard paternal attitude? | 或是你认为那是父母该做的事? |
[21:03] | -Does it matter? | 那重要吗? 我知道你多讨厌陈腔滥调 |
[21:15] | What’s up? | 怎么了? |
[21:19] | I have an awkward question to ask. | 我要问一个很重要的问题 |
[21:22] | Awkward prying, awkward embarrassing, awkward prurient? | 是超级八卦,超级难堪 还是超级好色的问题? |
[21:25] | About your brother. | 跟你哥哥有关 |
[21:30] | -Okay. -I’m sorry to ask. . . | 好吧 抱歉我这样问你 |
[21:32] | . . .but did David ever mention anything about another kind of space shuttle? | 但大卫提过另一种太空梭的事吗? |
[21:38] | -Another kind of space shuttle? -A non-civilian shuttle. | 另一种太空梭? 非平民太空梭 |
[21:42] | A military shuttle? | 军事太空梭? |
[21:44] | Did he ever mention anything about anything like that? | 他提过那种事吗? |
[21:48] | You mean, did he ever commit a felonious breach of national security? | 妳是说他承认过 违法泄露国安机密吗? |
[21:52] | Hints, intimations, a brotherly confidence. | 暗示、示意 兄弟间的闲聊 |
[21:55] | -Brotherly confidence, by definition? -Sibling one-upmanship. | 兄弟间的闲聊是什么意思? 兄弟之间的默契 |
[21:58] | Look what I know. | 我是知道的 |
[22:01] | An occasional cryptic hint, when he wanted to lord it over me. | 他曾给我一个 非常模糊不清的暗示 |
[22:06] | -Like being an astronaut wasn’t enough. -Thank you so much. | 他说当太空人还是不够 谢谢妳的直接 |
[22:09] | If he’d been in that station and we didn’t send such a vehicle after him– | 如果他在太空梭上 我们无法派太空梭去救他… |
[22:13] | -To send it reveals it. -Would he have sacrificed himself. . . | 一派出太空梭消息就会曝光 他会为了国家安全 |
[22:16] | . . .for national security? | 牺牲自己吗? |
[22:18] | He would have insisted on it. | 牺牲自己吗? 他会坚持那么做 |
[22:21] | But don’t ask me what I would have insisted on. | 但别问我会坚持什么 |
[22:39] | -Hey. | -Hey. 嘿 嘿 |
[22:43] | The Post has the VP offer. | 《华盛顿邮报》提到副总统的事 |
[22:45] | You got somebody leaking in your campaign. | 你的竞选阵营中 有人泄露消息 |
[22:47] | -I’d check yours. -We run a pretty tight ship. | 我想应该是你们的错 我们的竞选阵营相当团结 |
[22:49] | -Maybe Hoynes’ people got wind. -It puts pressure on us. | 或许是何尼斯的人放的风声 为了向我们施压 |
[22:52] | Lays us out there if you turn us down. | 如果你拒绝我们 他会趁火打劫 |
[22:54] | Thanks for coming in, guys. | 谢谢你们赶过来 |
[22:56] | President asked me to organize the convention. . . | 总统要我主办全国大会 |
[22:58] | . . .since we don’t have a nominee. | 因为我们还没决定提名人 |
[23:00] | Though, I’m now hearing that may change? | 但我想知道那是否能够改变 |
[23:03] | -We hope so. -It’s under respectful consideration. | 我们希望可以 我们正在作谨慎的考虑 |
[23:06] | The White House is officially neutral, of course. . . | 白宫的立场当然是中立的 |
[23:08] | . . .but I don’t think anyone’s opposed to avoiding a prime-time display. . . | 但我想大家都赞成 别让媒体拿我们的分裂跟不和 |
[23:12] | . . .of disharmony and dysfunction. | 大作文章 |
[23:14] | Which is what we’re here to discuss. | 那也是我们今天要讨论的事 |
[23:16] | We’ll just wait for the Hoynes representative to arrive. | 我们得等何尼斯的代表抵达 |
[23:19] | I don’t know why he was even invited. | 我不知道为什么要邀请他 |
[23:22] | -He has 956 delegates. -And no chance for the nomination. | 他有956张票 他没机会获得提名 |
[23:25] | Dylan Clark, Hoynes for president. | 迪伦克拉克,何尼斯的代表 |
[23:27] | Thank you for that assessment of our chances. | 谢谢你对我们胜选的评估 |
[23:29] | -I’m sorry you heard that, but it’s true. -With you two maneuvering. | 抱歉被你听见了,但那是真的 在你们两个的操作之下 |
[23:34] | -Gentlemen. -You gonna accept? | 男士们 你们会接受吗? |
[23:38] | -We’re mulling. -It’s a lousy job. | 我们正在考虑 这是份烂工作 |
[23:41] | I’m sure your candidate would agree. Mine does. | 我相信你的候选人会同意 我的候选人也是 |
[23:43] | Maybe why he treated it with such dubious respect. | 或许他觉得怀疑 |
[23:46] | This is exactly what we don’t want on prime-time TV. | 这就是我们不想上热门时段的原因 |
[23:49] | The first order of business is to select a convention chair. | 我们第一分工作 就是选出全国大会代表席次 |
[23:53] | I’ve drawn up a list of candidates. | 我列出人选名单 |
[24:00] | -Martindale? -I have no problem with him. | 马丁戴尔? 我对他没有意见 |
[24:02] | -He stumped for you. -We had a couple of joint appearances. | 他支持你们 我们只是一起亮相过几次 |
[24:06] | A couple? If they showed up together more, people would think they eloped. | 几次?如果他们一起多亮相几次 大家会觉得他们有一腿 |
[24:10] | -Ding Martindale. -Frenley’s not acceptable. | 删掉马丁戴尔 我无法接受佛兰利 |
[24:12] | -He’s strong, respected. -On your VP shortlist. | 他备受推崇 他是你们的副总统考虑人选 |
[24:15] | We don’t have one. | 我们还没有考虑人选 |
[24:17] | You have one, he’s on it, I’m dinging him. | 你们有,他在名单上 我要删掉他 |
[24:19] | -No to Pereira. -Why not? | 皮瑞拉不行 为什么? |
[24:21] | -Are you joking? -He’s Latino. | 你在开玩笑吗? 他是拉丁裔 |
[24:23] | -God forbid we show diversity. -Said the man with a Latino candidate. | 我们不能呈现种族多元化吗 你的候选人是拉丁裔 |
[24:27] | I hope you’re not suggesting Latinos can’t be trusted to be unbiased. | 希望你不是指拉丁裔 没办法做到公正不阿 |
[24:30] | The three of you, knock it off. | 你们三个别说了 |
[24:33] | Put lines through the names you object to, and let me have them back. | 在你们反对的人名下划线 我会考虑一下的 |
[24:36] | -Well, I’d like a day to go over this. -No. | 我得考虑一天 不行 |
[24:52] | Nope. | 不 |
[24:58] | Maybe you guys would prefer a Republican. | 或许你们比较喜欢共和党员 |
[25:20] | I’ll look these over later, see if there’s a consensus. | 我待会再看看有没有哪个人选 是大家能达成共识的 |
[25:23] | I’d like to discuss floor positions. | 现在来讨论场地布置 |
[25:25] | To counteract the perception Vinick has it wrapped up. . . | 为了消除大家认为 文尼克能大获全胜的印象 |
[25:28] | . . .I propose placing the California delegation up front. | 我提议安排加州代表团 坐在最前面 |
[25:31] | -Santos won there. -Nice try. | 我不同意,山多斯在那里赢了 说的好 |
[25:34] | We’re not gonna sit here suggesting states your campaigns won. | 我们不建议让你们胜选的 该州州代表坐在那里 |
[25:37] | Battleground states. Missouri, Wisconsin. | 形成拉锯战的各州 密苏里、威斯康辛 |
[25:40] | -Texas. Spirited, boisterous. -Loud enough to carry from the back. | 德州,提振士气 声音大到后面都能听见 |
[25:44] | -Have something against my guy’s state? -You should. | 你反对我方候选人的家乡吗? 你应该反对的 |
[25:46] | The VP carried his home state. | 副总统赢得他的家乡 |
[25:48] | -Matter of fact– -We’re not putting Colorado up front. | 事实上… 我们不能让科罗拉多坐在前面 |
[25:51] | -A Southern strategy– -California. | 南向策略… 加州 |
[25:53] | -Fifth largest economy in the world. -What has that got to do with anything? | 全球第五大经济体 那跟这件事有什么关系? |
[26:00] | Mr. President, you wanted to see me? | 总统先生,你找我? |
[26:04] | You were right. Avoiding last night is really not going to work. | 你说的对 我真的无法把昨晚的事当作没发生 |
[26:09] | -Yes, sir. -I don’t wanna get righteously paternal. | 是的 我不想当个老古板爸爸 |
[26:12] | Sir, I don’t wanna sneak around anymore. | 我不想再偷偷摸摸的 |
[26:15] | -I’m not breaking you up. -No. | 我不是要拆散你们 不 |
[26:16] | I’m talking about actually seeing more of Zoey. More time with her. | 我想更常见到柔伊 有更多的时间跟她相处 |
[26:21] | Spent together. Being together. | 真的在一起,聚在一起 |
[26:24] | And such. | 大概是那样的 |
[26:26] | Charlie. . . | 查理 |
[26:29] | . . .the president’s daughter can’t move in with somebody. | 总统的女儿不能跟男人同居 |
[26:32] | -I assume you understand you cannot– -Move in here. | 我想你了解你不能… 搬进这里 |
[26:37] | -Yes, sir. That had occurred to me. -Then I’m sorry. | 是的,我想过那一点 对不起 |
[26:39] | I’m not quite sure what you. . . . | 我不确定你… |
[26:47] | Are you. . . | 你… |
[26:49] | . . .talking about. . .? | 你是说… |
[26:52] | -Yes, sir. -You wanna make. . . | 是的 你要她… |
[26:54] | -. . .an honest woman out of her? -No, that’s not it at all. | 成为一个贞节烈女? 不是那样的 |
[26:58] | We’ve been sleeping together for kind of a while. . . . | 我们发生性关系有段时间了… |
[27:01] | You might wanna consider quitting while you’re ahead. | 你最好别再说下去 |
[27:06] | Yes, sir. | 是的 |
[27:14] | Sir, would I have your blessing? | 长官,你会祝福我们吗? |
[27:18] | I’m not the member of the family you should be concerned about. | 你该担心的人不是我 |
[27:21] | Yes, sir. Thank you, Mr. President. | 是的,谢谢你,总统先生 |
[27:32] | Josh. | 乔西 |
[27:40] | -Probably not what you had in mind. -It’s exactly what we’re worried about. | 或许事情不是你想的那样 我们正在担心那一点 |
[27:44] | People are always complaining about how canned these conventions are. | 人们抱怨全国大会 太过一成不变 |
[27:48] | Not the people trying to use them to put a clear message. . . | 因为人们没有利用它们 给美国选民 |
[27:51] | -. . .in front of the American electorate. -Good TV. | 传递清楚的讯息 高品质的电视节目 |
[27:54] | It’ll be entertaining. | 它的娱乐性会很高 |
[27:55] | Professional wrestling is entertaining, but when they click off the set. . . | 职业摔角娱乐性也很高 但是表演结束 |
[27:59] | . . .no one runs out and votes for the loudmouth in the leotard. | 没有人会投 穿著紧身衣的大嘴巴一票 |
[28:02] | Outside of Minnesota. | 明尼苏达州除外 |
[28:05] | You need to take the VP deal. | 你必须接受这个交易 |
[28:08] | -We’re considering it. -Not consider it, take it. | 我们正在考虑 别考虑了,接受吧 |
[28:12] | The party, the president, needs you to accept. | 党跟总统都需要你们接受 |
[28:15] | -Yeah. -Santos will be incurring the gratitude. . . | 对 很多人都会… |
[28:18] | . . .of a great many people, people who can be very helpful to his future. | 感激山多斯 那些人对他的未来很有帮助 |
[28:22] | -That future could be now. -Three-term congressman against Vinick? | 他现在就能拥有未来 三任国会议员对抗文尼克? |
[28:27] | Be careful what you wish for. | 小心你的愿望会成真 |
[28:28] | I don’t know that Russell has a better shot. | 我想罗素的机会也不大 |
[28:31] | I don’t either. | 我也那么认为 |
[28:33] | But Russell goes down, you want people in the party. . . | 但罗素输了 你们要党里的人 |
[28:35] | . . .organizers, fundraisers, thinking it was partly Matt Santos’ fault? | 党工跟金主认为 那是麦特山多斯的错吗? |
[28:40] | Long memories, Josh. Big win for your guy. | 忍耐一段时间,乔西 你的候选人会获得空前胜利 |
[28:43] | Four years from now, he can run the table. | 四年后他能竞选总统 |
[28:46] | You’d be doing him a favor. | 你是在帮他一个忙 |
[28:49] | -The space walk? -Unsuccessful. | 太空漫步? 失败了 |
[28:51] | -How much oxygen it cost them? -Couple hours. Could’ve been worse. | 他们用掉多少氧气? 几小时,可能更糟糕 |
[28:55] | Worse being a relative term when it comes to slow suffocation. | 比起慢慢窒息而亡 那真的是更糟糕 |
[28:58] | We have a decision to make. | 我们得作出决定 |
[29:00] | The security concerns outweigh the consequences. | 安全问题比结果更重要 |
[29:03] | It’s presumably been launched before without exposure. | 在消息还没曝光前发射太空梭 |
[29:06] | -This is a high-profile case– -It would disclose the asset. | 这是个备受注目的消息… 这会让我们的设备曝光 |
[29:08] | But measured against our responsibility toward three lives– | 但考量到 我们对三条人命的责任… |
[29:12] | -Two. Only two are Americans. -Meaning what? | 两条,只有两个太空人是美国人 那是什么意思? |
[29:15] | Russian’s life doesn’t count? Two are more expendable than three? | 俄国人的人命不值钱? 两条人命比三条人命重要? |
[29:19] | -The cosmonaut would see the asset. -Take pictures of it for all we know. | 俄国太空人会看到我们的设备 我们认为他会拍照 |
[29:23] | Even without the camera, cosmonauts are military. | 即使没有照相机 俄国太空人是军方人员 |
[29:25] | It’d be the intelligence coup of the new century. | 这会掀起新世纪的情报战 |
[29:28] | I appreciate that. But wouldn’t we be revealing hardware. . . | 谢谢,但我们不是应该 |
[29:31] | . . .everyone assumes we have? | 让大家都知道 我们有的东西吗? |
[29:33] | Maybe we should invite the Chinese and the Russians over for a formal tour. | 或许我们该正式邀请 中国人跟俄国人过来参观 |
[29:37] | Israelis and the Iranians can visit each other’s nuclear facilities. | 以色列跟伊朗 可以参观彼此的核子中心 |
[29:40] | -Mr. Secretary. -I can’t help note the absence. . . | 部长先生 我注意到太空总署 |
[29:43] | -. . .of NASA to make the case for rescue. -I don’t need anyone to make it. | 并没有参与救援计划 我不需要其他人的帮忙 |
[29:47] | I need more time. | 我需要多一点的时间 |
[29:50] | -Thank you, Mr. President. -Thank you, sir. | 谢谢总统先生 谢谢 |
[29:53] | I appreciate that, senator. | 谢谢你,参议员 |
[29:55] | I’m giving it every consideration. | 我会仔细考虑 |
[30:00] | Thank you for the call. | 谢谢你打电话来 |
[30:02] | Another voice for party unity. | 又有人呼吁我顾及党的团结 |
[30:04] | Yeah, the White House just leaned on me pretty good. | 对,白宫跟我说的很清楚 |
[30:07] | -Same extortionate undertone. -I heard something on the way over. | 这跟勒索差不多 我在回来的路上听到消息 |
[30:10] | Source I have in Philadelphia. | 我在费城的线人说 |
[30:12] | Russell’s been talking to Baker. As backup, we turn him down. | 罗素跟贝克谈过 如果我们拒绝,他是备胎 |
[30:17] | -Thinks it flips Pennsylvania. -It does flip Pennsylvania. | 他想在宾州翻盘 那的确会让宾州翻盘 |
[30:20] | One hundred and seventy-eight votes swing from us to Russell. | 我们会有178张选票 跑到罗素那里去 |
[30:24] | If the Hoynes delegates break anywhere near even once released– | 如果何尼斯的票 整个分散掉… |
[30:28] | It’s game over. | 我们就完了 |
[30:30] | Smart. Smart. | 聪明 |
[30:33] | How come we’re not that smart? | 为什么我们没想到? |
[30:35] | You have to go sit down with Russell. | 你得跟罗素坐下来好好谈 |
[30:39] | And when you’re in there, you look for a way to tell him yes. | 到那里后 你得想办法跟他说你答应了 |
[31:17] | -You okay? -Yeah. | 你没事吧? 没事 |
[31:20] | Yeah. Just. . . . | 没事,只不过… |
[31:26] | You know. | 妳知道的 |
[31:29] | -Night yips? -Little bit. | 辗转难眠? 有一点 |
[31:32] | Because you’ve made a decision or because you can’t? | 因为你决定了 或是你无法决定? |
[31:35] | Both. | 两者都是 |
[31:36] | Neither. | 也都不是 |
[31:43] | I bet Arnie Vinick is sleeping like a rock. | 我敢说阿诺文尼克 一定睡的很熟 |
[31:47] | -I don’t know. He’s old. -What? | 我不知道,他是老人 什么? |
[31:51] | Old people don’t sleep so good. | 老人都无法熟睡 |
[31:54] | Old people who have their party’s presidential nomination wrapped up. . . | 获得党提名为总统候选人的老人 |
[31:58] | . . .and have a mortal lock on California in the general. They sleep like the dead. | 在大选中绝对能拿下加州 他们一定会睡死了 |
[32:05] | But the prospect of sleeping like the dead. . . | 但说到睡死了 |
[32:07] | . . .is part of what keeps old people up nights. | 那就是让老人睡不著的原因 |
[32:16] | You ever stop to think that maybe Vinick’s up now, worried about you? | 你想过或许文尼克担心你 担心到睡不著吗? |
[32:22] | I can guarantee you that’s not happening. | 我可以跟妳保证那是不可能的 |
[32:24] | Smart guy, young guy. | 聪明的年轻人 |
[32:28] | -Good-Iooking too. -Yeah. | 长得又帅 对 |
[32:35] | Let’s see about helping this troubled office-seeker. . . | 我们得想办法 让这个想竞选总统的人 |
[32:38] | . . .get himself some sleep. | 睡上一觉 |
[32:55] | -Morning. -What do you do when he’s just wrong? | 早安 他做错事时你会怎么办? |
[32:58] | -You remind yourself he got elected. -We could rescue these astronauts. | 妳得提醒自己他是总统 我们可以救那些太空人 |
[33:02] | He’s got 295 million Americans to think about, not just these three. | 他得考虑两亿九千五百万美国人 不光只是那三个人 |
[33:06] | Two are Americans. Defense Secretary’s made it clear. . . | 只有两个太空人是美国人 国防部长说得很清楚 |
[33:09] | . . .if they offed the third, he’d send it. | 只要他们放弃第三人 他会马上让太空梭升空 |
[33:11] | Lovely affirmation of international cooperation in space. | 这是国际太空合作计划的最佳范例 |
[33:14] | We don’t want Russia, China building space bombers. | 我们不希望俄国跟中国 制造太空炸弹 |
[33:17] | They’ll build them if they assume we’ve got one. | 如果他们认为我们有 他们也一定会那么做 |
[33:19] | Even if they know, they have to build it. | 就算他们知道 他们也非那么做不可 |
[33:22] | -This is Alice in Wonderland. -Yeah. Some days it is. | 这就像《爱丽丝梦游仙境》 对,有时候是的 |
[33:32] | -Quick. Hide the Ouija board. -See, they can afford Ouija boards. | 快点,把碟仙藏起来 他们买得起碟仙 |
[33:36] | -Josh has us reading chicken entrails. -I’ll tell the VP you’re here. | 乔西要我们看鸡内脏 我会告诉副总统你们来了 |
[33:40] | -We’re very excited you’ve come. -Excited to be here. | 很高兴你们来了 我们也高兴能来这里 |
[33:44] | It’s exciting. | 真的是太棒了 |
[33:51] | Congressman, welcome. | 众议员,欢迎光临 |
[33:52] | -Good of you to see me. -Shall we? | 很高兴你愿意见我 可以进来了吗? |
[33:57] | Remember, three feet on the floor at all times. | 记住,脚要离地三尺 |
[34:06] | -Have a seat there. -Thank you. | 请坐 谢谢 |
[34:11] | Don’t. | 不要说话 |
[34:15] | Congratulations on a well-fought campaign. | 恭喜你在选战中表现优异 |
[34:17] | You too. | 你也是 希望我们能忘掉这一切 |
[34:18] | And hopefully, we’re about to put that all behind us. | 希望我们能忘掉这一切 |
[34:23] | That’s what we’re here to discuss. | 那就是今天我们要谈的事 |
[34:28] | Arnie Vinick is gonna be a tough customer. | 阿诺文尼克会是个强劲对手 |
[34:31] | We need to marshal all our strength. I can’t think of a better way. . . | 我们得集中所有力量 我想最好的方式 |
[34:35] | . . .than by having both our names on the ticket. | 就是我们一起竞选 |
[34:38] | That’s a good point. | 说的好 |
[34:41] | So you wanna flip a coin? | 你要丢铜板决定吗? |
[34:46] | That’s a good one. | 真的很好笑 |
[34:49] | In all seriousness, let me describe the relationship I envision. | 说真的,听听我想像的未来 |
[34:54] | A substantive role in policy, strategic planning. A voice. | 独立政策、策略计划 提出良言的声音 |
[34:58] | A clear and palpable presence. | 每次亮相都不必落居人后 |
[35:00] | More of a partnership, frankly, than I’ve had with Jed Bartlet. | 老实说那比起我跟杰德巴特勒的 搭档关系要好的多了 |
[35:03] | -I’m flattered. -You should be. | 我真是受宠若惊 那是一定的 |
[35:05] | It’s not an offer, it’s not the relationship I’d envision with a lesser man. | 这不是提议 我不想跟弱者搭档 |
[35:09] | -You’re capable and bright. -You’re very kind. | 你能干又聪明 你真的是太好心了 |
[35:12] | I’m sure there’s things I can learn from you. | 我相信我能跟你多多学习 |
[35:15] | Well. I don’t. . . . | 我不… |
[35:17] | Just as there are undoubtedly things you could learn from me. | 你也可以跟我学很多事 |
[35:31] | Thank you, all. Josh. | 谢谢你们,乔西 |
[35:57] | Mad at me? | 你在生我的气? |
[36:00] | No. | 不 |
[36:03] | Oddly. | 太奇怪了 |
[36:08] | Disappointed? | 失望吗? |
[36:11] | Proud, I think. | 我想我是很骄傲 |
[36:17] | You’ve got a tough conversation ahead. | 你得花一番力气跟上层说明 |
[36:20] | Not so tough. | 没那么难 |
[36:24] | Yeah, I do. | 没错 |
[36:31] | Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome… | 各位先生女士,请欢迎 |
[36:36] | … the next president of the United States, Arnold Vinick! | 下一任美国总统阿诺文尼克 |
[36:52] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[36:54] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[36:57] | We’re gonna run out of prime time. | 全国大会即将结束 |
[37:01] | It is with great humility that I accept your nomination… | 我非常谦卑的接受提名 |
[37:05] | …for president of the United States. | 参选美国总统 |
[37:12] | Before I share with you my vision for America… | 在我跟大家分享 我梦想中的美国之前 |
[37:16] | …I wanna say a few words about the man who I hope is my predecessor… | 我要谈谈可能将棒子 交给我的人 |
[37:21] | …President Josiah Bartlet. | 杰德巴特勒总统 |
[37:27] | He has graced and honored his office. | 他将政府治理的有条不紊 |
[37:30] | The highest in the land. | 是全世界最棒的国家 |
[37:33] | The most powerful in the world, some would say. Myself included. | 有人会说是全世界最强的国家 我也那么认为 |
[37:37] | He has served this country steadfastly and laudably… | 他尽心尽力为国奉献 |
[37:41] | …and I say this despite our political and philosophical differences. | 虽然我们在政治 跟哲学上都存著歧见 |
[37:46] | For in the end, a presidency is more than a simple catalogue… | 但是总统不只是国家象征 |
[37:50] | …of policies pursued, crises weathered, battles lost or won. | 化解政治乱局、解决危机 打输或打赢战役 |
[37:56] | It’s a stewardship, a sacred trust… | 它是种管理工作 神圣的信任感 |
[37:59] | …a commitment to sacrifice every fiber of your being… | 承诺牺牲你的一切 |
[38:03] | …every thought, every moment, every– Every everything… | 所有的思绪,每分每秒 所有…你的一切 |
[38:08] | …in service to your nation. | 以效忠你的国家 |
[38:12] | President Bartlet has done this well and ably… | 巴特勒总统有能力做的非常好 |
[38:18] | …and he deserves nothing less than our humble appreciation… | 我们应该好好感激他 |
[38:22] | …and heartfelt gratitude. | 全心全意跟他说谢谢 |
[38:27] | Nice what he said about you. | 他在说你的好话 |
[38:30] | Yeah. The bastard. | 对,那个混蛋 |
[38:33] | He just picked up five million Democratic votes. | 他抢走五百万张民主党选票 |
[38:36] | My commitment to strive to be worthy of the example of the great men… | 我发誓会学习在我之前 |
[38:40] | … who have gone before. | 所有伟人们的精神 |
[38:42] | Presidents walk in giant footsteps. | 总统必须迈开大步 |
[38:45] | They have magnificent legacies to uphold. | 他们必须建立伟大传说 |
[38:49] | I stand here on this day and put my name forth… | 今天我站在这里 以自己的名誉发誓 |
[38:52] | …as one who aspires to their example… | 我受到他们的启发 |
[38:55] | … who will daily make that sacrifice. | 必将每日为国牺牲 |
[38:59] | Who will honor not just the office, but the people that office serves. | 我不只会尊重政府 更会尊重这个国家的人民 |
[39:05] | Their president of these United States of America. | 当所有美国人的总统 |
[39:18] | Arnold Vinick just positioned himself as Jed Bartlet’s natural successor. | 阿诺文尼克将自己 定位成杰德巴特勒的必定接班人 |
[39:22] | How’d he do that? | 他是怎么办到的? |
[39:25] | Without one mention, without so much as an allusion to either one. . . | 他没有提到他们的名字 |
[39:28] | . . .he managed to dismiss Russell and Santos as puny, dwarflike children. . . | 就将罗素及山多斯 矮化成不起眼的小子 |
[39:33] | . . .trying to get a seat at the grownups’ table. | 他们只是想要装大人 |
[39:39] | Yeah. | 请说 我马上请他过去 |
[39:41] | I’ll send him right down. | 我马上请他过去 |
[39:43] | Josh is here to see you. | 乔西要见你 |
[39:48] | We start working to beat this guy right now. | 我们要开始努力打败这个家伙 |
[40:00] | -Hey. | -Hey. 嘿 嘿 |
[40:05] | -What. . .? -Talk to Leo. | 什么… 我要跟里奥谈 |
[40:11] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[40:16] | Could have used you out there. | 他们真的很需要你 |
[40:21] | Did okay without me. | 没有我你还是表现的很好 |
[40:25] | It’s not the same. | 那不一样 |
[40:28] | Good luck. | 祝你好运 |
[40:31] | Thanks. | 谢谢 |
[40:40] | -Listen to Vinick? -No. | 你听过文尼克的演说了吗? 没有 |
[40:43] | You’re better off. | 你最好听一下 |
[40:54] | Santos turned Russell down. | 山多斯拒绝了罗素 |
[40:59] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[41:02] | -Okay? -So now you get him to unturn it down. | 好吧? 你得劝他回心转意 |
[41:06] | -Doesn’t work like that. -No, it does. | 那是行不通的 不,一定可以 |
[41:09] | -I told him to find a way to say yes. -You find it for him. | 我叫他想办法答应他 你得帮他想办法 |
[41:14] | -You’re not hearing me. | -You’re not hearing me. 你不了解我的意思 你不了解我的意思 |
[41:18] | Matthew Santos has had a terrific ride. Improbable, impressive. | 麦修山多斯表现优异 挑战不可能,令人印象深刻 |
[41:22] | And over. | 就这样 |
[41:24] | This is a return to reality. He’s Russell’s vice president. | 我们该回归现实面 他是罗素的副总统 |
[41:27] | -It’s not gonna happen. -You are gonna do this. . . | 那是不可能的 你得这么做 |
[41:31] | . . .for us. . . | 为了我们 |
[41:32] | . . .for the president. | 也为了总统 |
[41:34] | -For your party. -I’m not. I don’t agree with it. | 为了你的党 不要,我不赞同这种做法 |
[41:38] | I told him to say yes. I was wrong. | 我要他接受,我错了 |
[41:42] | He’s twice the man Russell is on his best day. | 他比巅峰时期的罗素 还强上两倍 |
[41:45] | Ten times. And Russell doesn’t have that many best days. | 是十倍才对 罗素根本没有巅峰时期 |
[41:56] | I’ll go tell the president. | 我会去跟总统报告 |
[42:11] | -Toby. -Okay. | 托比 好的 托比 对,好的 |
[42:12] | -Toby. -Yeah. Okay. | 托比 对,好的 |
[42:15] | You have to quit and then get rehired. | 妳得先辞职,我们会再聘用妳 |
[42:17] | -Leo wants you in California to– -Greg Brock just released a story. . . | 里奥要妳到加州… 葛雷布洛克刚刚报导 |
[42:20] | . . .about a classified military shuttle that could be. . . | 政府可能派机密军用太空梭 |
[42:23] | . . .sent up to rescue those astronauts. | 升空解救那些太空人 |
[42:25] | It’s already on the website. It’ll be on the front page of the New York Times. | 消息已刊登在网站上 将会是《纽约时报》的头条新闻 |
[42:29] | To do this, Brock would have had to assure them he had it cold. . . | 他会这样做 因为他保证消息来源无误 |
[42:32] | . . .which means whoever leaked it, it’s somebody big. | 那表示泄露消息的人 应该是高层 |