时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[01:05] | THE WEST WING 7×01. THE TICKET | |
[01:07] | Original air date: 09/25/2005 | |
[01:43] | Welcome. | 欢迎 |
[01:44] | Nice to see you, sir. | 非常高兴见到你, 先生 |
[01:45] | And you. | 我也是 |
[01:47] | Look at that tan. | 你都晒成这样了 |
[01:49] | I was gonna ask you to come up to the farm for a week | 我本来想要请你到农场呆一个星期的 |
[01:51] | but we should come up to you. | 现在看来应该是我到你那去才对 |
[01:52] | You’d love it, sir. | 你会很喜欢那的, 先生 |
[01:53] | Santa Monica’s your kind of town. | 圣莫尼卡就是你理想中的地方 |
[01:54] | Really? | 真的? |
[01:55] | Not really, no. | 也没那么好 |
[01:57] | Abbey wants a picture of the baby. | Abbey 想要一张宝宝的照片 |
[01:58] | I thought we e-mailed you one. | 我记得用电子邮件给她发过了 |
[01:59] | Something she can tape to the fridge. | 她想要一张洗出来的 |
[02:01] | Oh. I’ll see what I can dig up. | 哦!我回去找找看 |
[02:05] | Glad you could make it. | 你能来太好了 |
[02:06] | Thanks for the invitation, sir. | 很感谢您的邀请 先生 |
[02:08] | How’s Columbia? | 哥伦比亚怎么样? |
[02:09] | Not such a bad place to spend some time. | 用来消磨时间还不错 |
[02:13] | I read your book. | 我看了你的书 |
[02:15] | Gorgeous prose. | 文字很优美 |
[02:17] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[02:18] | Did you read her book? | 你看没看她的书? |
[02:18] | Load of hogwash. Nice job at Jakarta. | 满纸废话 你在雅加达干得不错 |
[02:22] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[02:22] | Just trying to get them talking. Don’t anyone hold your breath. | 想办法多让他们开口 别让他们把你唬住了 |
[02:26] | Congressman. | 议员 |
[02:26] | Mr. President. | 总统先生 |
[02:27] | Ways and Means? | 要怎么做? |
[02:28] | Backbencher. | 后座议员(普通议员) |
[02:29] | I sit tight for 32 years, I have a shot at Chairman. | 我在这个位置上坐了32年 终于有个机会竞选主席 |
[02:31] | All set with your speech? | 演讲的东西准备好了吗? |
[02:32] | I think so. | 差不多了 |
[02:33] | A little meandering in the middle, but… | 中间部分也许会有点小问题 但是__ |
[02:35] | No, thank you, I’ll be fine. | 谢谢 没问题的 |
[02:38] | Sir, can we get you to… | 先生,现在要不要出发去__ |
[02:39] | There he is. | 他来了 |
[02:40] | Wow. | 喔 |
[02:42] | Quite a collection of dignitaries. | 这么多的官员 |
[02:44] | Sorry. | 抱歉打扰了 |
[02:44] | You were saying, Josh? | 你刚才说什么, Josh? |
[02:46] | The President’s here. | 总统在这 |
[04:37] | Welcome back. | 欢迎回来 |
[04:38] | Wow! Look at that. | 喔!看看那 |
[04:39] | That’s what we like to see. | 正是我们想见到的情况 |
[04:41] | Is it out yet? | 结果出来了吗? |
[04:42] | Not yet. | 还没有 |
[04:43] | What’d I miss? | 我错过了什么吗? |
[04:44] | Uh, rally in Columbus was fantastic, crowds were going wild. | 呃,在哥伦比亚的演讲反响超乎想象,人群都为之疯狂 |
[04:47] | Q&A in Dayton got a little sticky; they wouldn’t shut up about the ticket. | 在代顿的问答有点问题,他们总是针对选票提问 |
[04:50] | About Leo? | 关于 Leo? |
[04:51] | Yeah. The Congressman was pretty irritated. | 是的 国会议员非常恼怒 |
[04:53] | It’ll pass. | 别理他们 |
[04:54] | We want copies of these, like 500. | 把这个复印 大约500份 |
[04:56] | How’s headquarters? | 总部那怎么样? |
[04:57] | It exists, which is a start. | 总部那怎么样 跟开始时一样 |
[04:59] | What else? | 还有什么? |
[05:00] | Um, that’s it. | 恩, 就这些 |
[05:01] | I’ve been away from you people for a whole day. | 我一天都没跟你们这些人在一起 |
[05:03] | You got nothing? | 你就没什么可说的吗? |
[05:04] | Same speech, 27 times, dude. | 伙计 一样的内容,都作了27次演讲了 |
[05:21] | Okay, ten minutes of grip-and-grin, followed by the speech, | 好 10分钟的握手会,紧接着是演讲 |
[05:23] | followed by a quick stop in Bakersfield. | 在Bakersfield稍作停留 |
[05:25] | What happened to the conference call with the policy team? | 决策小组那边的电话会议怎么了? |
[05:28] | They decided they don’t need you on the conference call, | 他们认为你没有必要参加电话会议, |
[05:29] | they need you in Bakersfield. | 他们需要你出现在Bakersfield |
[05:31] | Let’s remember to call him “Santos.” | 记得喊他”Santos “ |
[05:33] | The candidate? | 候选人吗 |
[05:34] | That’s what he calls himself. | 他就是这么称呼自己的 |
[05:35] | What’d I call him? | 我应该怎么称呼他? |
[05:36] | “Santos,” with an “ahh” instead of an “ah.” | “Santos,” 发 “ahh”而不是 “ah “ |
[05:39] | Ahh’s not more correct? | Ahh’不是更正确吗? |
[05:40] | In Mexico. | 在墨西哥是 |
[05:42] | I say “ahh”? | 我要说 “ahh”? |
[05:43] | Leo, you’re inconsistent. | Leo, 你听上去有点太敷衍了 |
[05:44] | We just don’t want to give the impression that you’re iffy on your running mate’s name. | 我们只是不想给大众留下你连竞争对手的名字都记不清的印象 |
[05:47] | Certainly not. | 肯定不会的 |
[05:53] | Now I’m confused. Which is it? | 我有点迷糊了 是什么来着? |
[05:55] | “Ah”. | |
[05:56] | “Ah”? | |
[05:56] | “Ah.” | |
[06:01] | It’s not out yet. | 结果还没出来 |
[06:01] | Did I ask? | 我没问你吧? |
[06:02] | No, but you wanted to. | 没有, 不过感觉你想知道 |
[06:04] | You wouldn’t tell me even if you had it because I’m about to go onstage | 即使已经有结果了你现在也不会告诉我,因为我正要上台 |
[06:06] | and you feel it’s your responsibility to manage my mood, which it isn’t. | 你总感觉你有责任让我保持情绪稳定,而事实上并不然 |
[06:10] | You know I left a great job to come work for this campaign. | 你知道我丢下了一大摊工作来为这次竞选努力 |
[06:12] | I’m just saying, I’ve been at this for awhile. | 我只是想说 我搞这个也有段时间了 |
[06:14] | I don’t need the babysitting. | 我不需要保姆 |
[06:16] | You most certainly do. | 你非常需要 |
[06:17] | Just because you’ve trained a Preakness jockey doesn’t mean | 就像是你被训练成一名赛马师 |
[06:20] | you know how to sit a horse. | 并不意味着你懂得如何安置马 |
[06:24] | – Hey, is it out yet? – Not yet. | – 嘿, 结果还没出来吗? – 还没有 |
[06:26] | – Are you sure? – He checked. | – 你确定吗? – 他刚问过了 |
[06:27] | We’ll get it when we get it. | 时间到了结果自然就有了 |
[06:29] | You hear anything yet? | 你听到什么消息了吗? |
[06:29] | Not yet. | 没有 |
[06:30] | I thought we were going to get it an hour ago. | 一个小时之前好像结果就应该出来了 |
[06:32] | We didn’t. | 还没有 |
[06:32] | You think we should call them? | 你觉得我们是不是应该给他们打个电话? |
[06:33] | This is one poll. | 这是一个民意测验 |
[06:35] | Yes, it is a Gallup Poll. | 是的, 是盖洛普民意测验l |
[06:36] | Yes, it is our first public polling data. | 是的,这将是我们第一个公众选举的数据 |
[06:39] | Absolutely, it will shape our message and our strategy. | 毋庸置疑,它有助于我们修正现有信息 和供制定策略参考 |
[06:42] | But it will not change the fact that four days out of the convention | 自从四天前全党会议以来 |
[06:45] | the Santos-McGarry ticket is incredibly strong and poised for victory. | Santos-McGarry的支持力相当强 而且已经胜券在握 |
[06:48] | The Congressman’s not worried about it. | 议员没有担忧 |
[06:50] | I’m not worried about it. | 我也不会担忧 |
[06:51] | Everyone should stop worrying about it. | 所有人都停止杞人忧天 |
[06:54] | Is it out yet? | 结果还没出来吗? |
[06:56] | No, sir, not yet. | 没有 先生 还没有 |
[06:58] | Uh, right after this we head back to Washington | 呃 这个结束之后我们直接回华盛顿 |
[07:01] | where we have one day at our new headquarters | 我们要在新的总部呆上一天 |
[07:02] | to sit you down with the department heads, | 见一下各部门的负责人, |
[07:05] | brief you on electoral strategy, policy directives. | 简要制定一下选举策略和政策导向 |
[07:08] | Make sure we’re not re-litigating this stuff. | 确定我们没有什么法律上的麻烦 |
[07:10] | That’s great. | 很好 |
[07:11] | I’ll be in and out interviewing new staff. | 我要对新人进行面试 |
[07:13] | How many do you still need to hire? | 你还需要多少人? |
[07:14] | About 90. | 大约90 |
[07:15] | Today? | 今天? |
[07:16] | There’s a bathroom up there, if you need… | 如果你有需要,那有个洗手间__ |
[07:18] | Oh, that’s not a bad idea. Excuse me. | 哦,正合我意 失陪 |
[07:22] | You don’t think that’s micromanaging? | 你不觉得你管得有点太细了? |
[07:25] | He went, didn’t he? | 他去了, 不是吗? |
[07:26] | Matthew Santos served his community for two terms as Mayor of Houston; | Matthew Santos已连任两届休斯敦市的市长; |
[07:32] | served his state for three terms in Congress; | 已连任三届国会议员; |
[07:35] | served his country for 12 years in the U.S. Navy. | 并且曾在美国海军服役12年 |
[07:38] | Marine Corps. | 应该是海军陆战队 |
[07:39] | 12 years in the U.S. Marine Corps. | 在美国海军陆战队服役12年 |
[07:41] | I am proud to join this bold leader… | 我很荣幸能够有这样勇敢的对手__ |
[07:45] | Say, uh, are we meeting with the White House today? | 呃, 我们今天要跟白宫那边见面吗 |
[07:47] | I am. I may take Leo with me. | 我去就行了 我会带着Leo |
[07:49] | Before or after your 600 interviews? | 600个面试之前还是之后? |
[07:51] | You don’t need Leo at the White House. | 没必要带着Leo |
[07:53] | I want him in the briefings, | 我想让他去盯着简报那边, |
[07:54] | make sure he’s clear about what our direction is. | 确定他了解我们的策略方向 |
[07:56] | Mrs. Santos, this is Chet. | Santos太太,这是 Chet |
[07:58] | He’s going to seat you down front with the Chancellor. | 他会安排你在前排和议长坐在一起 |
[08:00] | Yeah. Knock ’em down, honey. | 好的 打败他们 亲爱的 |
[08:05] | Hopefully you two will have some time this afternoon. | 希望你们两个今天下午都能腾出点时间来 |
[08:08] | Get to know each other, maybe lunch. | 让你们有机会更了解对方,午饭时间怎麽样 |
[08:10] | Who? | 谁? |
[08:11] | You and Leo. | 你和Leo |
[08:13] | We’ve got one day in DC, | 我们在华盛顿见过了, |
[08:14] | you really think we should spend it on lunch? | 你真地认为我们还要在午饭上浪费时间吗 |
[08:16] | I’m talking takeout, not wine and candles. | 我是说那种简易的午餐, 没有酒和蜡烛那种 |
[08:18] | Okay, go get ’em, sir. | 好了, 加油 |
[08:24] | It will be out soon, right? | 结果快出来了, 是不是? |
[08:26] | You’ll know the second I know. | 我会第一时间通知你 |
[08:28] | Congressman Matthew Santos! | 国会议员 Matthew Santos |
[08:34] | Get me an advance copy of this damn poll before I chew my arm off. | 在我发疯之前,最好结果快点出来 |
[08:39] | Has the campaign seen this yet? | 竞选团队那边看到这个了吗? |
[08:40] | No. Gallup slipped us an advance copy. | 没有 民意调查那边给了我们一个样本 |
[08:42] | They’ll publish in about an hour. | 他们一个小时之内会将结果公布 |
[08:45] | Sir, we should have Moscow any minute now. | 先生, 应该准备去莫斯科了 |
[08:47] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[08:48] | This ought to be fun. | 肯定会乱成一团的 |
[08:49] | How much do you plan on telling them? | 你计划告诉他们多少? |
[08:52] | I’m telling them the military space shuttle, whose existence we’ve flatly denied, | 我要告诉他们我们一直否认存在的军用航天飞机 |
[08:55] | will be hurtling up from Vandenburg in about an hour. | 将在1小时之后从范登堡基地发射 |
[08:58] | Comprehensive. | 很详尽 |
[08:59] | Hutchinson will want you downstairs for the final go and we’ve set up calls | Hutchinson需要你下楼跑最后一趟 我们会为你接通 |
[09:02] | for you with China, France, Germany, Japan. | 与中国 法国 德国 日本等 |
[09:05] | Everyone with a satellite that’ll pick it up. | 每一个有卫星电话的国家领导人 |
[09:06] | How about the wives? | 要不要通知妻子们? |
[09:07] | Of the astronauts? | 宇航员的吗? |
[09:08] | Not until we know we’re actually going to get them back. | 在我们确定能把宇航员带回来之前 先不要通知她们 |
[09:11] | Senator Weller has started his own investigation of the leak. | Weller议员已经展开了泄密事件的调查 |
[09:14] | We’re running an investigation. | 我们在调查 |
[09:15] | The AG’s running an investigation. | 总检察长也在调查 |
[09:17] | What does he think Congress is going to find out that we won’t? | 他认为国会会找到什么我们没找到的东西? |
[09:20] | He doesn’t think the AG is objective. | 它认为总检察长不够客观 |
[09:21] | The AG hates us, we hate him. | 总检察长对我们有成见, 我们也不喜欢他 |
[09:23] | It doesn’t get more objective than that. | 没有比这更客观的了 |
[09:24] | No. | 没有了 |
[09:25] | God bless. What else? | 上帝保佑 还有什么? |
[09:26] | Haffley’s giving us the hard sell on this education plan. | Haffley在强行向我们推销他的教育计划 |
[09:29] | He’s talking about moving on teacher incentives. | 他提出要增强老师们的积极性 |
[09:32] | He’s prepared to actually pay teachers more? | 他准备给教师们涨工资吗? |
[09:35] | If the meet higher standards they get a cash bump, pay for performance. | 如果要根据表现涨工资的话 |
[09:38] | Santos’ campaign is going to be livid. | Santos的竞选可就要碰钉子了 |
[09:40] | Education’s a tent pole issue for them and performance pay was a big part of their plan. | 教育问题对他们来说举足轻重 薪酬计划的履行是一个很重要的方面 |
[09:43] | Likely as not Haffley’s baiting us, hoping we’ll take the issue away from Santos. | Haffley好像在给我们下诱饵,让我们把这个问题从Santos那抽离 |
[09:47] | You think we should skip it? | 你认为我们应该忽略他吗? |
[09:48] | No. I think we should call his bluff. | 不 我认为我们应该面对他 |
[09:50] | We steal a lot of thunder away from the campaign for an education plan | 我们为了一个教育计划 在竞选中做手脚 |
[09:52] | that’ll die before it hits the floor of the House. | 它在白宫里转个几圈就会消失 |
[09:54] | Maybe, but I’m not prepared to walk away from it yet. | 可能吧,但是我还没有准备好要脱身 |
[09:58] | Let’s try and figure out if Haffley’s serious. | 让我们看看Haffley是不是认真的 |
[10:00] | – Okay. – Campaign’s in town today. | -好吧 -竞选今天会在市里面举行 |
[10:01] | We’ll give them a heads-up. | 我们会给他们提个醒 |
[10:02] | I’ll be back in when you’ve got Moscow. | 你到莫斯科的时候我就会回来的 |
[10:04] | Okay. | 没问题 |
[10:04] | – Thank you, Mr. President. – Thank you. | -谢谢你,总统先生 -谢谢 |
[10:08] | What they won’t tell you is that | 他们所不会告诉你们的是__ |
[10:09] | 5.4 million jobs were actually lost in the last eight years. | 近八年来已消失了540万个工作职位 |
[10:17] | Buon giorno. | Buon giorno(意大利语:早安) |
[10:18] | Oliver Babish. | |
[10:20] | We don’t have to talk yet. | 我们暂时还没必要交谈 |
[10:21] | My caffeine uptake’s a bit logy. | 我还没有清醒过来 |
[10:23] | An honor just to be in the White House Counsel’s company. | (这可是)一个属于白宫顾问团的荣誉 |
[10:26] | What’s your day like? | 你今天过得怎么样? |
[10:27] | Some people talk about these things with my assistant. | 一些人和我的助手讨论这些事 |
[10:29] | Hmm, I’m about to monopolize a bunch of your morning with this NASA crap. | 嗯,我准备占用你一上午时间 和你谈一谈太空总署的一些滥事 |
[10:34] | She should cancel things. | 她应该取消这些事情 |
[10:34] | I’ve had the NASA conversation with the FBI three times. | 我已经让国家航天局和联邦调查局谈过3次了 |
[10:36] | I’ve got my spiel down to a brisk ten minutes. | 我会尽量把我的话缩短在10分钟内 |
[10:39] | You’re giving me more than that. | 我需要的时间更多 |
[10:43] | I was going to say White House Counsel would like a moment, | 我本来想说白宫顾问团会喜欢一小会儿 |
[10:45] | but I guess he took care of that. | 但是我想他在意这个的 |
[10:48] | Nice to see you. | 很高兴见到你 |
[10:49] | He needs you back in there already. | 他要你回到那里去 |
[10:51] | Margaret will call you when I’m done. | 我做完以后Margaret会打电话给你的 |
[10:55] | I’ll wait. | 我等着 |
[10:59] | Folks, we’re here this afternoon because we love our country. | 各位,今天下午我们齐聚于此 因为我们热爱我们的国家 |
[11:03] | Wallingford’s office still hasn’t called back. | Wallingford的办公室还是没有回应 |
[11:05] | He’s supposed to do the intro at the Denver rally. | 他本应该在丹佛的集会上做开场白的 |
[11:07] | Call him again. | 再打给他 |
[11:08] | Remind him the Democrats looked like feuding inbreds at the Convention last week. | 提醒他民主党人在上个星期的会议上 就象和谁结了世仇一样 |
[11:12] | We need their help with our party-unity strategy. | 我们需要他们在两党合作战略上的帮助 |
[11:14] | We need Congressmen lined up with smiles on at every one of our events. | 我们需要议员们对我们所有的行为都微笑接纳 |
[11:18] | That includes Wallingford, on stage, clapping. | 包括Wallingford,在台上,鼓掌 |
[11:21] | We got it. | 拿到了 |
[11:35] | Leo McGarry, ladies and gentlemen! | Leo McGarry,女士们,先生们! |
[11:37] | Let’s send this guy back to the White House. | 我们要把这个家伙送回白宫 |
[11:42] | Press is here for the Q&A. | 媒体已经准备提问了 |
[11:43] | Now remember, you control the conversation. | 现在记着,你来控制局面 |
[11:45] | You don’t like what the ask, don’t accept the premise of the question. | 你不喜欢这些问题,也不接受这些问题所提出的假设 |
[11:47] | That’s my line, you know. You’re quoting me. | 这是我的话,你知道的 你可是在引用 |
[11:49] | I thought it was Toby. | 我以为是Toby |
[11:50] | Where do you think he got it? | 你认为他是从哪里听到的? |
[11:50] | I’ve been rejecting the premises of questions since the Hoover Administration. | 自从胡佛以后,我就再也不接受所有的假设了 |
[11:54] | Mr. McGarry, are you still in AA? | McGarry先生,你还对药物上瘾吗? |
[11:55] | Good to see you, Christine. | 很高兴见到你, Christine |
[11:57] | When was the last time you went to a meeting? | 上次你来参加会议是什么时候? |
[11:59] | I’ve made statements about that before. You should take a look at them. | 我之前已经对那件事做出声明了 你应该好好看看 |
[12:02] | Does your cardiologist think you can handle this kind of stress? | 你的心脏病医生真的认为你能承受这种压力? |
[12:04] | My cardiologist has made a statement about that. You should take a look at it. | 关于这件事我的心脏病医生已经做出声明了 你应该也去好好看看 |
[12:08] | See, what I’d like to talk about is what Matt Santos can do to improve | 那好,我想谈的是Matt Santos怎样来改进 |
[12:12] | the public schools here in Pennsylvania and across the country. | 宾州及全国的公立学校 |
[12:23] | Hey. Is she in there? | 嘿 她在里面吗? |
[12:24] | She’s in with Babish. She could be awhile. | 她和Babish在里面 应该会待上一阵子 |
[12:26] | Why? | 为什么? |
[12:28] | Apparently, he’s got a lot to talk about. | 很显然,他有很多话要说 |
[12:31] | Do me a favor: call me when she gets out. | 帮我个忙:她出来的时候就告诉我 |
[12:48] | I’m getting a lot of questions about McGarry’s health. | 我有很多关于McGarry的健康的问题想问 |
[12:50] | I’m gonna need a better answer than he’s cut out red meat. | 答案最好要比他把心脏挖出来了要好一点 |
[12:54] | Come here a second. | 到这里来一下 |
[13:00] | Nine points. | 9个点 |
[13:02] | That’s all? | 就是这些? |
[13:03] | We trail a tiny bit on strong leader, but we’re neck-and-neck on values, | 我们在领导能力这一方面输了一丁点儿 但是我们在价值观上面还是没有输的 |
[13:07] | we got a solid lead on cares about our needs optimistic vision for the country’s future. | 民众认为我们关心他们的需求 我们执政的话他们对国家的前途表示乐观 |
[13:11] | Joey Lucas will break this down at HQ, but… | Joey Lucas在总部会克服这些的,可是__ |
[13:13] | man! | 伙计! |
[13:13] | Only nine points down? | 只降了9个点? |
[13:16] | Yes! | 正是! |
[13:18] | You heard it from Nancy McNally? | 你从Nancy McNally那里听来的? |
[13:19] | I heard it straight from Kelwick at NASA | 我直接从国家航天局的Kelwick那里打听到的, |
[13:21] | and he wasn’t going to blab any more than he had to | 而且他再也不能去告密了, |
[13:23] | because the whole thing made his department look terrible. | 因为所有的事情让他的部门乱得一塌糊涂 |
[13:25] | The space station’s losing oxygen, they’ve got a $4 billion space shuttle fleet | 空间站的氧气正在减少 他们搞了一支造价40亿美金航天飞机舰队 |
[13:29] | and not one of them is ready to leave the ground because of a retrofit he ordered. | 可是由于他下令要改进装置 没有一个可以离开地面 |
[13:33] | Embarrassing. | 令人难堪啊 |
[13:33] | A little bit. | 有一点 |
[13:34] | You ever notice his eyebrows? | 你没注意到他的眉毛吗? |
[13:35] | Kelwick’s? | Kelwick的? |
[13:36] | Very… active. | 很__活跃 |
[13:39] | Are they? | 是吗? |
[13:40] | I’m vamping. I brought the wrong folder. | 我在老调重弹 看来我抖错包袱了 |
[13:43] | Humor me, though: | 不过 有点幽默 |
[13:44] | who else new before the story went public? | 这个故事公开之前还有哪些人听过? |
[13:47] | NASA Director of Ops, NASA ISS Project Manager… | 国家航天局执行主管,国家航天局ISS项目经理__ |
[13:50] | Yeah. | 好 |
[13:51] | Who at the White House? | 谁在白宫里面? |
[13:56] | You rang? | 你打的电话? |
[13:57] | Yeah. | 是的 |
[14:00] | C.J.’s with Babish. | C J 和Babish在一起 |
[14:02] | Right now? | 现在? |
[14:03] | Did you talk to him? | 你和他谈过? |
[14:04] | Yesterday. | 昨天 |
[14:05] | What did you tell him? | 你跟他说了什么? |
[14:06] | I didn’t tell him anything. | 我什么也没有告诉他 |
[14:07] | I said the FBI thinks they’re seeing a trail. | 我是说FBI会认为他们看见了一宗交易 |
[14:08] | A trail? | 交易? |
[14:09] | Yeah. | 是的 |
[14:10] | If they have a theory, they have to follow it out. | 如果他们有什么推测的话 他们就会追查下去 |
[14:11] | You handed C.J. Cregg to the White House Counsel? | 你把C J Cregg交给白宫顾问团了? |
[14:14] | I did nothing of the kind. | 我没做过这种事情 |
[14:15] | Do you have anything that resembles hard evidence? | 你有什么过硬的证据吗? |
[14:17] | I’m not handing them C.J. Cregg. | 我不想把C J Cregg交给他们 |
[14:21] | I’ll be in my office. | 我会在我的办公室里面 |
[14:26] | 43 on “strong leader”; | 43%在“领导能力”方面表示支持 |
[14:28] | six points up on “Will Unite the Country”; | “促进国家团结”方面升了6点 |
[14:31] | this is Christmas morning here in Santos-McGarry land. | 今天是Santos-McGarry的好日子 |
[14:33] | Let me see. | 让我看看 |
[14:34] | Check out state-by-state. | 每个州都要查 |
[14:44] | That’s a nice shot. | 真是漂亮的一击 |
[14:45] | My wife wants to make T-shirts out of that one. | 我妻子要为我做一件庆功T-Shirt了 |
[14:47] | Well, tell here to PhotoShop out the question mark. | 呃,让他们把这个问号Photoshop了去 |
[14:52] | What’s this. | 这是什么东西 |
[14:54] | That’s Leo’s approval rating on his own. | 那正是Leo自己的支持率 |
[14:56] | Don’t worry about it. | 不用担心 |
[14:57] | It’s not a relevant number. | 只是一个没什么关系的数字而已 |
[14:59] | Sticker shock on the part of the voters is all. | 一个固执的家伙在选民里制造点热点而已 |
[15:01] | It’s not like he’s a drag on the ticket. | 不像是在拉选票 |
[15:06] | People are voting for the top of the ticket, anyway. | 不管怎样,人们在为了选票的头名而投票 |
[15:09] | We’ve got plenty of time to pull his numbers up. | 我们还有足够的时间把他的数字推上去 |
[15:11] | One poll. | 一次民意测验 |
[15:15] | Yeah. | 正是 |
[15:23] | Nice building. | 房子不错 |
[15:25] | You know somebody named Jackie in Advance? | 你们谁知道有个叫Jackie的人在Advance公司里? |
[15:28] | No. | 不知道 |
[15:29] | Somebody told me there was a staffer who put us 18 points down in the pool. | 有人告诉我 有个编辑让我们在投票中降低了18点 |
[15:34] | There’s nobody named Jackie in Advance? | 在Advance里没有叫Jackie的人? |
[15:35] | Not anymore there’s not. | 没有,而且再也不会有了 |
[15:37] | The office is still mostly in boxes. | 这个办公室仍然是机密的 |
[15:39] | We’ve only hired about half the staff so far, but it’s a start. | 我们仅仅雇佣了一半员工,不过已经开始运作了 |
[15:43] | Well, as long as you’ve got a couple of people here to get the ball rolling, I guess. | 我想 你还需要招些人让这里正式运作起来 |
[15:45] | That, I think we’ve got. | 那件事,我认为我们已经开始了 |
[15:47] | Welcome to the mothership. | 欢迎光临母舰 |
[15:50] | The 2:00 Michigan Advance meeting has been pushed to now. | 2:00在密歇根的Advance会议被推迟了 |
[15:52] | Anyone on Press Advance or Site Advance, we are moving to the puke-green room. | 在Press Advance或Site Advance的所有人, 我们搬到puke-green房间去 |
[15:56] | Joe Kaplan’s team, Rob Sewell’s team, somebody find Meredith and tell her we are moving. | Joe Kaplan小组, Rob Sewell小组, 谁能找到Meredith就告诉她我们搬走了 |
[16:00] | – Edie. – Josh. Oh, my God. | – Josh 噢,我的上帝 |
[16:02] | The Congressman. | 这是议员先生 |
[16:04] | Oh, thank you. Thank you. | 噢,谢谢 谢谢你 |
[16:06] | Stop. Thank you, all. | 行了 谢谢你们,所有人 |
[16:11] | That’s enough. Back to work. | 够了 回去工作 |
[16:16] | This is Edith Ortega, Deputy Campaign Manager for Strategic Planning. | 这是Edith Ortega, 负责竞选战略计划的代理经理 |
[16:19] | Anything I’m not handling, she is. | 我办不到的事情,她来 |
[16:20] | – Pleasure to meet you. – Thrilled to be on board. | -见到你很高兴 -荣幸之至 |
[16:22] | Julian Mirada, Deputy Policy Director. | Julian Mirada,政策部代理主任 |
[16:24] | – I’ll take credit for most of what he does. – Hey, Julian. | -我可以为他所做的大多数事情打赌 -嘿, Julian |
[16:26] | Ralph Lee, Veterans Coordinator. | Ralph Lee,退伍军人协调员 |
[16:27] | Steve Lacey. Steve’s our African-American Steering Committee Chair. | Steve Lacey Steve是我们的非裔美国人指导委员会主席 |
[16:30] | Mary DiMartino next to him, Women for Santos. | 在他旁边的Mary DiMartino,Santos的女人 |
[16:33] | John Vega, Latino Committee Coordinator. | John Vega,拉丁裔委员会协调员 |
[16:35] | That’s kind of Minority Row there, now that I think about it. | 那可真是少见,现在我得考虑一下了 |
[16:38] | Angie. | |
[16:40] | Angie Worster’s our blogmaster. | Angie Worster是我们的新闻官 |
[16:43] | Hey, Angie. | 嘿, Angie |
[16:43] | Angie’s assistant, Craig, and this is his crew. | Angie的助手,Craig,这些是他的成员 |
[16:45] | They’re making a documentary on Craig. | 他们在给Craig做文件工作 |
[16:46] | I’m not entirely clear why. Smile. | 我还不是完全明白 微笑 |
[16:50] | Craig’s doing a great job. We’re proud of him. | Craig做得很出色 我们都为他而骄傲 |
[16:52] | Very proud. | 非常自豪 |
[16:54] | Mrs. Santos, we need to get you to Georgetown, speech to the DNC Women’s Caucus. | Mrs Santos,我们得让你去一趟Georgetown, 为DNC Women’s Caucus组织作个演讲 |
[16:57] | Right. | 没问题 |
[16:58] | See you tonight? | 今晚见? |
[16:58] | I’ve got to swing through Virginia. I think we catch up with you in Denver. | 我得横渡维吉利亚州 看来我们可以在丹佛赶上你 |
[17:01] | Good thing I carry a picture. | 我最好带上一张图片 |
[17:02] | Call the kids before 7:00. | 记得7:00以前给孩子们打电话 |
[17:04] | My office is over there. You’re welcome to drop your stuff. | 我的办公室就在那儿 随时欢迎你来 |
[17:06] | Where’s mine? | 我的办公室在哪? |
[17:08] | You don’t have an office. | 你没有办公室 |
[17:09] | I don’t have an office? | 我没有? |
[17:10] | You’re never going to step foot in this building again. | 你再也不会踏进这栋建筑了 |
[17:12] | Congressman, these are for you. | 议员,这些是给你的 |
[17:14] | Josh, Gregory Ward, he’s interviewing for Midwest Regional Political Director. | Josh, Gregory Ward,他在为中西部政策主任参加面试 |
[17:18] | And Dana Sharpey’s after that. | Dana Sharpey也在竞争这个 |
[17:20] | Congressman, if you need to use Josh’s office, Stan Picket needs you right now. | 议员先生,如果你想用Josh的办公室, Stan Picket现在就想见你 |
[17:23] | He’s one of the Deputy Communications Directors. | 他是交流部代理主任之一 |
[17:25] | Yeah, send him in. | 好,让他进来 |
[17:26] | I finally heard from Wallingford’s guy. | 我总算有那个来自Wallingford的人的消息了 |
[17:28] | He can’t do the Denver rally. | 他可不能参加丹佛的集会 |
[17:29] | He’s going to be in Washington. | 他就要来华盛顿了 |
[17:30] | You explained how integral the little turd is to our party-unity strategy? | 你解释过这个小人物为什么是两党合作战略不可或缺的? |
[17:34] | I did. Hammond wasn’t free either. | 是的 Hammond那个时候也有份 |
[17:36] | Then get somebody else from the Colorado Congressional Delegation. | 让其他从科罗拉多州国会代表团的人来 |
[17:43] | It’s a hard sell, no doubt about it. | 毫无疑问,这很难办 |
[17:45] | But, Santos knew what he was getting. | 但是,Santos知道他得到了什么 |
[17:48] | You don’t pick Leo McGarry as a running mate with all that baggage because you want to; | 你没有选择Leo McGarry作为竞选伙伴是你自己的意愿; |
[17:53] | you do it because you have to. | 你这么做是因为你必须得这样 |
[17:54] | Santos needs that heft and foreign policy savvy which he certainly doesn’t have himself. | Santos需要那种他自己不具备的分量和精明的外交政策 |
[18:00] | Where was I? | 我这是在哪? |
[18:02] | Kate Harper. | |
[18:03] | Yes. She was briefing me because she was in the sessions with NASA and DOD. | 对 她通知我是因为她在跟太空总署和国防部开会 |
[18:07] | Do you like her? | 你喜欢她吗? |
[18:09] | Sure. | 当然 |
[18:09] | She’s an achiever. | 她是个有进取心的人 |
[18:10] | Young for the job, and I think she’s earned it. | 对于这份工作来说太年轻了, 但我觉得她可以胜任 |
[18:12] | Moving up. | 快行动 |
[18:14] | Nancy McNally trusts her quite a lot. | Nancy McNally非常信任她 |
[18:16] | Do you? | 你呢? |
[18:16] | Sure. | 当然信任 |
[18:17] | So she was your go-to gal with questions or anything else? | 那么她就是你有问题或其他状况时寻求帮助的人? |
[18:20] | For the most part. | 大部分都会 |
[18:22] | Well, what about the other part? | 那么,剩下的部分呢 |
[18:24] | No, she was really it. | 不,没什么剩下的部分 |
[18:27] | You, uh, consult with anyone else before you briefed the President? | 你,呃,在你告诉总统之前还找别人商讨过? |
[18:32] | I… no. | 我__没有 |
[18:34] | I mean… | 我的意思是__ |
[18:35] | I had a conversation with Leo McGarry about some of the technical elements | 我和Leo McGarry就一些技术因素谈过 |
[18:38] | that were put in place while he was here, | 就是当他在那里的时候,一切都不能出错, |
[18:40] | and I spoke to Toby Ziegler about it, and I had Hutchinson’s deputy brief me. | 而且我和Toby Ziegler也谈过, 我还让Hutchinson的代理告诉我 |
[18:44] | Whoa, that’s a bunch of people. | 哇,人山人海的 |
[18:46] | Kate Harper didn’t have all the information? | Kate Harper没有得到所有的信息? |
[18:48] | No, I’m sure she did. | 不,我肯定她得到了 |
[18:50] | Think she might have shared it with Greg Brock? | 她会不会可能把这些给了Greg Brock? |
[18:52] | Oliver, she’s running the investigation. | Oliver,她在民意测验中领先了 |
[18:54] | That wasn’t my idea. | 那可不是我的主意 |
[18:54] | Well, next time we’ll check with you. | 那么,下次我们会先跟你通气 |
[18:56] | Well, you’re the one who didn’t want to talk to her about it. | 看来,你就是那个不想和她讨论这些的人 |
[18:58] | It’s not that I didn’t want to. | 并不是我不想 |
[18:59] | But you went to Leo and Toby. | 但是你去找了Leo和Toby |
[19:01] | So let’s go back to the earlier question. | 我们还是回到前面的问题 |
[19:05] | Do you trust her? | 你信任她吗? |
[19:08] | Jennifer Howard, interviewing for Deputy Policy Director for Health Care and Don needs you. | Jennifer Howard,在为了健康部代理主管一职面试而且Don要见你 |
[19:11] | You’ve got to give me five minutes. | 你得给我5分钟 |
[19:13] | I just did 12 interviews, back-to-back. | 我刚做了12个面试,太紧凑了 |
[19:14] | Well, you’re eight interviews behind. | 呃,你接下来还有8个面试 |
[19:15] | Can we let Chuck do some of these? | 我们不能让Chuck来做一些吗? |
[19:16] | No. | 不行 |
[19:17] | Mr. McGarry just got in. | Mr McGarry刚刚到了 |
[19:19] | Leo’s here? | Leo来这里了? |
[19:22] | Welcome to our happy home. | 欢迎来到我们的欢乐小屋 |
[19:23] | Hey, kid. | 嘿,小子 |
[19:24] | We need to sit down with your health care guy. | 让我们和你的健康顾问一起坐下来谈 |
[19:26] | This Medicare reform thing is way off. | 关于健康改革的东西已经在路上了 |
[19:28] | We’ll look at it. | 我们会看一下的 |
[19:29] | When are we at the White House? | 我们什么时候到白宫? |
[19:30] | You can sit that one out, give you some time with the guys here. | 你就坐在那里, 和那些人待在一块就可以了 |
[19:32] | I’ll sit quiet and keep my mouth shut. | 我会闭上嘴安静地坐着 |
[19:34] | Be nice to just say hello. | 只说句你好是最不错的 |
[19:35] | Sure. | 当然 |
[19:36] | Uh, we’ve got to make it quick, though, make sure you don’t miss any policy briefings. | 啊,我们得快点了, 都确认你们没有错过政策通告 |
[19:39] | Sir, can you take a quick look. We’ve made some changes. | 先生, 你最好再看一遍 我们做了一些改动 |
[19:41] | Hey, Annabeth. | 嘿, Annabeth |
[19:43] | These are his clips of about a half an hour ago. | 这些是他半小时之前做的剪辑 |
[19:44] | Did you see these yet? | 你看过这些没有? |
[19:46] | Excuse me, Mr. McGarry, can I grab you for a moment? | 打扰一下,McGarry先生, 我能占用你一些时间吗? |
[19:48] | Sure. | 可以 |
[19:50] | Hey, are those clips? | 嘿,这些就是剪辑? |
[19:51] | Bram needs you and then we have a makeup consultant waiting. | Bram要见你然后我们会有一个模拟的顾问接待 |
[19:53] | The base is looking a little orange under the fluorescents. | 基色在这些荧光管下面看起来有些发黄 |
[19:56] | She doesn’t want me to look at clips. | 她不想让我看这些剪辑 |
[19:59] | Mr. McGarry, this is Special Agent Ellis Taylor. | McGarry先生,这位是探员Ellis Taylor |
[20:01] | How do you do? | 你好吗? |
[20:02] | It’s good to meet you face-to-face, sir. | 很高兴能当面见到您,先生 |
[20:03] | I know you’ve been meeting the detail in drips and drabs. | 我知道你一直究着细节不放 |
[20:05] | I thought it may help to get everybody together. | 我认为这对让大家团结起来有帮助 |
[20:07] | Talk about any questions you may have. | 谈一谈你有什么问题吧 |
[20:09] | It’s about protocol and procedure. | 是关于协议和手续的问题 |
[20:15] | Okay. | |
[20:16] | So who’s on the Congressman’s detail and who got stuck with me? | 那么谁去抓议员的细节,谁又会支持我? |
[20:20] | No, no, sir. | 不,不,先生 |
[20:21] | This is all you. | 这都是因为你 |
[20:24] | Ouch. | 噢(痛) |
[20:26] | Ooh. | 哦 |
[20:28] | Is the Congressman getting hit like this? | 议员也会这样挨打吗? |
[20:29] | Not like this. | 不是这样打 |
[20:30] | Joey Lucas is here. | Joey Lucas来了 |
[20:32] | All right. | 好的 |
[20:32] | Tell Ronna to halt the interview parade till I’m done with Joey. | 告诉Ronna把面试先放一放直到我和Joey结束这边的事情 |
[20:36] | Are those Mr. McGarry’s clips? | 那些就是McGarry先生做的剪辑? |
[20:37] | Yeah. | 是的 |
[20:38] | Did you see the Wizard of Oz cartoon? | 你们谁看过绿野仙踪? |
[20:40] | Matt cowering in front of the big head. | Matt在大人物面前就畏缩了 |
[20:42] | Bartlet? | |
[20:43] | He’s there, too. | 他也在那里 |
[20:45] | Who’s the big head? | 谁是大人物? |
[20:46] | Leo. | |
[20:46] | Leo’s the big head, Matt’s in a Dorothy costume. | Leo’是大人物,Matt就是多萝西 |
[20:49] | Where’s Bartlet? | Bartlet在哪儿? |
[20:51] | They guy behind the curtain pulling the strings. | 幕后操纵 |
[21:00] | You know, we could put our guy in front of a camera every now and then, too. | 你知道的,我们可以让我们的人 不时地出现在镜头前 |
[21:02] | I’m working on it. | 我正在研究这个 |
[21:05] | You happy? | 你高兴吗? |
[21:06] | You tell me. | 你来告诉我啊 |
[21:07] | Nine points is nothing to sneeze at. | 没必要盯着这9个点吧 |
[21:09] | I’m not sneezing. I’m ordering champagne. | 我没有盯着看 我只是在订购香槟酒 |
[21:12] | Premature. | 太早了 |
[21:13] | Ned. | |
[21:15] | Jake, can you get that? | Jake,你能拿着这个吗? |
[21:17] | Page twelve. | 第十二页 |
[21:21] | “Shares our values” is at 40, that’s workable. | “分享我们的价值观”在40页,这是可行的 |
[21:23] | “Honest and Trustworthy” is at 49, very good. | “诚实和信任”在49页,很好 |
[21:26] | But, flip the page. | 但是,就在这一面 |
[21:27] | Ask people to describe their impressions of Matt Santos in one word, you get…? | 要人们用一个单词表达对Matt Santos的看法,你会用__? |
[21:31] | “Appealing.” | “鼓动 “ |
[21:32] | Right. Followed by “charming” and “vital.” | 正确 接下来是”有魅力的”和”重要的 “ |
[21:34] | Strong, yes, but not in a defend-our-borders kind of way. | 强硬的,对,但不是对付我们的敌人的那种 |
[21:37] | It’s more of a “Hold me in your arms and stroke my hair | 这更象是”抱着我并抚摩我的头发 |
[21:41] | while we gaze at the fire and I run my hands over your biceps.” | 当我们看着火焰的时候我抚摸你的胳膊 “ |
[21:45] | This is really the kind of comment you really don’t want to hear | 这正是你最不想听到的评论 |
[21:47] | coming out of Kenny’s mouth. | 从Kenny的嘴里吐出来的 |
[21:51] | Women love him, men want to have a beer with him. | 女人们都爱他, 男人们也想和他一起喝啤酒 |
[21:54] | It’s just not clear that it would occur to anyone to vote for him. | 只是不清楚这样会否让别人投他的票 |
[21:57] | We’ve got to convince people that he’s substantial. | 我们得让人们相信他是很牢靠的 |
[22:01] | How’s things going with Leo? | Leo那边怎么样? |
[22:03] | First few days are tough. | 前几天并不顺利 |
[22:04] | But the Congressman’s happy? | 但是议员很高兴? |
[22:05] | Yeah, he doesn’t know Leo all that well. | 正是,他对Leo不是很了解 |
[22:07] | It’s not like they were old friends. | 他们不象是老朋友 |
[22:10] | The Congressman’s looking for you. | 议员在找你 |
[22:11] | Strategy was supposed to start ten minutes ago. | 10分钟之前就该制定策略了 |
[22:21] | Sorry, we got backed up. | 对不起,耽误大家了 |
[22:22] | Josh is in the market for a deputy. | Josh在寻找代理的人才市场里面了 |
[22:24] | Someone to help him out, if anyone’s got a cousin who needs a job. | 得有人去把他解救出来, 如果谁有亲戚想找工作的话 |
[22:28] | What do we got? | 我们有些什么? |
[22:29] | Okay, the current schedule is yellow. | 好了,现在的安排是黄色 |
[22:31] | If you have a blue copy or a pink copy, burn it. | 如果你们拿的是蓝色的或粉色的,烧掉 |
[22:34] | It is tragically out of date and will put you in Kansas when the rest of us are in Michigan. | 很不幸,已经过时了而且这些东西会把你们带到堪萨斯 而我们其他人已经在密歇根了 |
[22:38] | Where’s Leo? | Leo在哪里? |
[22:39] | He’s talking with Lorraine about the Medicaid piece. He’ll be right in. | 他在和Lorraine谈医疗补助的事情 他就快进来了 |
[22:41] | Maybe we should wait a second. | 可能我们还要等会儿 |
[22:42] | What else? | 还有什么? |
[22:44] | Media bookings. | 订媒体时间 |
[22:44] | Yeah. | 正确 |
[22:45] | Obviously we’re in all the news shows, | 显然我们上了所有的新闻, |
[22:46] | but the View and The Daily Show are also interested. | 但是View和The Daily Show也很感兴趣 |
[22:48] | Do we want to go that way? | 我们要走那边吗? |
[22:50] | It’s a mixed bag. | 这很复杂 |
[22:51] | Because? | 为什么? |
[22:52] | It has something to do with strong arms and fireplaces | 这和强壮的手臂还有火有关 |
[22:54] | and you don’t want to hear it from Kenny. | 而且你不会想从Kenny的嘴里听到这些的 |
[22:57] | He’s hunky. | 他是个粗线条 |
[22:58] | Okay, I would have gone with telegenic, but if hunky works for you I’ll take it. | 好,我要去参加电视拍摄, 但是如果那个匈牙利人为你工作的话我要了 |
[23:02] | You read the summary? | 你读过总结了? |
[23:03] | Yeah. I did. I’m, uh, appealing. | 是的 我觉得,嗯,深受鼓舞 |
[23:05] | We just want to make sure no one mistakes that for insubstantial. | 我们只是想确认没有人误解了”不稳固” |
[23:08] | Well, if appealing is what they believe, maybe we should play into it. | 那么,如果他们认为是鼓舞, 我们可能应该赞同 |
[23:11] | Lock it up, build on it. | 锁起来,把它装好 |
[23:12] | That’s good news. | 这可是个好消息 |
[23:13] | You’ve got the charisma factor. You can’t teach that. | 你已经具备了特殊号召力 那可不是能学来的 |
[23:15] | Now let’s just see if we can project some depth. | 现在让我们来看看能不能再深入一些 |
[23:17] | I could carry around a copy of Proust. | 我可以弄一份普鲁斯特问卷的样本了 |
[23:19] | So Scheduling needs to make room for more Q&As. | 那么日程安排需要多给些时间给问答了 |
[23:21] | Let everybody know he’s not just a pretty face with nothing to say. | 让所有人都知道他不光长得好看,而且能说会道 |
[23:24] | Two a day? | 一天两场? |
[23:25] | How about one after every speech? | 每次演讲后安排一场怎么样? |
[23:27] | That’s a lot of time out of the schedule. | 那就大大超出日程的时间了 |
[23:29] | It’ll be worth it. | 但这样很值 |
[23:29] | He’s right. | 他是对的 |
[23:30] | We’re talking five conversations with the press pool every day. | 我们现在在讨论一天安排五场媒体见面会 |
[23:32] | – Five? – Easily. | -5场? -小意思 |
[23:33] | And remember, you control the conversation. | 要记住,你要掌握主动 |
[23:35] | If you don’t like what they’re asking, don’t accept the premise of the question. | 如果你不喜欢他们的问题, 就不要接受他们的假设 |
[23:38] | Interest groups. | 利益集团 |
[23:39] | We need to figure out who we’re going to spend time meeting with in the next week. | 我们需要弄清楚下个星期我们要和谁见面 |
[23:42] | Leo McGarry, ladies and gentlemen. | Leo McGarry,女士们,先生们 |
[23:44] | Sorry, a little mix-up with some of the Medicaid figures. | 不好意思,医疗补助方面有点混乱 |
[23:46] | Good to have you here. | 很高兴在这里见到你们 |
[23:47] | Interest groups? | 利益集团 |
[23:48] | Broad-based, moderate groups first. | 有广泛基础的,适度的组织优先 |
[23:50] | Careful. | 小心点 |
[23:50] | This isn’t the primary, anymore. We’ve got to attack center, hard. | 这再也不是主要的了 我们要攻击中心,用力打 |
[23:53] | Arnold Vinick is a moderate Republican. | Arnold Vinick是个温和的共和党人 |
[23:55] | There’s not a lot of center he doesn’t have a hold on. | 他并没有掌握到很多重点 |
[23:56] | She’s right. We need the left flank. | 没错 我们需要攻击左翼 |
[23:58] | You can’t concede the center. | 你不能在重点问题上让步 |
[23:59] | Battle’s won and lost there. | 输赢的关键就在这 |
[24:00] | And without the Democratic base I’m not going to make it onto the battlefield. | 而且没有民主的基础的话,我不会把它放上战场的 |
[24:04] | So he needs to meet with…? | 所以他得见见__? |
[24:05] | Everybody. What else? | 所有人 还有吗? |
[24:06] | There’s been a lot of interest in Mr. McGarry’s personal history. | 有很多人对McGarry先生的个人历史感兴趣 |
[24:09] | Do we want to reevaluate the way we’re addressing that? | 我们还要对这种称呼方式重新评价吗? |
[24:11] | I’ve made statements about all of it in the past; | 我在以前就已经做过很多声明了; |
[24:13] | the addiction, the health stuff. | 药物上瘾问题,健康问题 |
[24:14] | Just refer them to that. | 就跟他们说这些 |
[24:16] | I’m not sure the press is satisfied with that. | 我不确定媒体会对这些满意 |
[24:17] | We could reconsider doing a mea culpa. | 我们要考虑一下我们是否有过失 |
[24:19] | Nightline? | |
[24:20] | Or 20/20. | 或者是《20/20》 |
[24:21] | You tell your story, cry a little and get on with it. | 你说一下你的故事,滴几滴泪水,然后继续 |
[24:24] | Might simplify matters. | 可能会让事情简单化 |
[24:25] | If I thought it would work I’d cry all afternoon. | 如果我认为这有用的话,我会哭上整个下午 |
[24:28] | I don’t think it’ll help. | 我不认为这会有用 |
[24:30] | What the Mallory situation? | Mallory怎么样? |
[24:31] | My daughter, Mallory? | 我的女儿, Mallory? |
[24:32] | She might enjoy joining you on the road. | 她可能会喜欢在旅途中加入你们 |
[24:34] | I sincerely doubt it, but I understand the press might enjoy it. | 我很怀疑,但是我知道媒体应该会喜欢 |
[24:38] | I’ll give her a call. | 我给她打个电话 |
[24:39] | If the Congressman is doing five Q&As a day, we have to make sure that | 如果议员一天要做5场问答,我们就得保证 |
[24:42] | Mr. McGarry’s doing at least three. | McGarry先生至少要做3场 |
[24:44] | Five a day? | 每天5场? |
[24:45] | It’s a new strategy. We’re testing it out. | 这是个新战略计划 我们正在进行试验 |
[24:47] | That’s a lot of feeding the beast. | 这可大大满足了禽兽们的胃口 |
[24:48] | We’re going to try it. | 我们准备这么做 |
[24:49] | I’m not sure you want to give the press that many shots at you. | 我不是很确定你真的想让媒体过多地研究你 |
[24:53] | What else? | 还有什么? |
[24:53] | Any chance Mallory would be willing to bring the baby on the road? | Mallory会不会想把孩子也带过来? |
[24:56] | Is it a photogenic baby? | 孩子很上镜吗? |
[25:01] | Hey, not all of them are. | 嘿,不是所有的都上镜 |
[25:03] | How are you holding up? | 你怎么抱? |
[25:04] | Fine. | 行了 |
[25:06] | There’s a lot of flashbulbs. | 会有很多闪光灯的 |
[25:08] | You may get more mileage out of me in a room with the strategists instead of the cameras. | 你和战略家们待在屋里能从我那得到的优惠 要比和镜头在一起得到的多 |
[25:12] | It’s that prize-winning face. | 那是个无聊的有奖游戏 |
[25:13] | The media gal’s right. | 媒体的姑娘们没错 |
[25:15] | The press is doing a lot of talking about my love for sedatives and single-malt. | 媒体总是围绕着我对镇静剂和威士忌的钟爱来讨论 |
[25:18] | We knew it was coming. | 我们知道会这样的 |
[25:20] | You worry too much. That’s my job. | 你过于担心了 那是我的工作 |
[25:21] | And you’re not worried? | 你不担心吗? |
[25:22] | We’re only nine points down. | 我们只下降了9个点而已 |
[25:24] | White House, half an hour, you and me. | 白宫,半个小时,你和我 |
[25:28] | Mr. McGarry, we need to get a few shots of you and the Congressman. | McGarry先生,我们想给您和议员照几张相 |
[25:32] | We think it’ll be better with you in this shirt. | 我们认为你穿这件衬衫会好些 |
[25:34] | The Congressman’s wearing white. | 议员穿的是白色 |
[25:38] | Mr. McGarry? | McGarry先生? |
[25:40] | Yeah. | 好 |
[25:49] | Yes. | 好的 |
[25:57] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[26:00] | You want to order lunch? | 你想点午餐吗? |
[26:01] | I’ve got a meeting. | 我还有个会议 |
[26:02] | The Santos Campaign and the West Wing need to coordinate agendas. | Santos的竞选阵营和白宫西翼的人们要协调一下议事日程 |
[26:05] | I’ll order lunch and we’ll eat when you get back. | 我会点好午餐等你回来之后我们一起吃 |
[26:09] | You’re a lonely man, aren’t you? | 你是一个孤独的人,对吗? |
[26:10] | Do you miss him? | 你想他吗? |
[26:11] | Who? | 谁? |
[26:13] | Josh, Leo. | |
[26:15] | You guys are spread a little thin. | 你们出了点问题 |
[26:17] | Half your staff bleeding to the campaign, you stuck with the Chief of Staff job, | 你们一半的人在为竞选阵营卖命 你把持着主任这个职位 |
[26:20] | probably still a little Press Secretary business on your plate. | 可能还有一些新闻秘书的事情要处理 |
[26:23] | Not really. | 并不是这样 |
[26:24] | Really? | 是吗? |
[26:25] | Not at all. | 完全不是 |
[26:26] | Well, then why does Greg Brock of the New York Times appear on your call log | 那么,为什么纽约时报的Greg Brock出现在你的通话清单上? |
[26:29] | an average of five times a week in the six months before he published his leak story? | 在他讲出那无聊至极的故事之前六个月 你们每天平均通话5次? |
[26:33] | He spent that much time with Leo McGarry? | 他和Leo McGarry花这么多时间在一起? |
[26:36] | I really have to go now. | 我真的要走了 |
[26:37] | I’m thinking turkey club for me. | 我想要一份Turkey Club |
[26:40] | Do you want some kind of salad? | 你想要什么沙拉吗? |
[26:42] | Annabeth camped out on your shoulder, that’s got to be something. | Annabeth在你头上动土 一定有什么事 |
[26:45] | Six kinds of makeup. | 6种借口 |
[26:46] | Yeah, she’s relentless. | 是啊,她无情 |
[26:48] | I’m worried tomorrow she’s going to braid my hair. | 我在担心明天 她又要给我搞什么鬼 |
[26:50] | Sorry. | 对不起 |
[26:51] | Hey. | 嘿 |
[26:52] | Sight for sore eyes. | 深受欢迎啊 |
[26:54] | And you. Look at this. I feel like we should take a picture. | 还有你 看看这个 我觉得我们应该拍下来 |
[26:58] | We should’ve got lunch or something. | 我们应该去吃午饭或做点别的 |
[26:59] | Well, I’m lunching with Oliver Babish. | 呃,我和Oliver Babish一起吃午饭 |
[27:00] | He has his heart set on ruining my day. | 他今天有很多事找我 |
[27:03] | Sit, sit. | 坐,坐吧 |
[27:05] | Did you see our numbers? | 你看见我们的号码没有? |
[27:06] | I did. | 我看见了 |
[27:07] | How the hell did you pull that off? | 你们是怎么搞定的? |
[27:08] | I have no idea. | 我不知道 |
[27:09] | As soon as you get a message calendar, send it over. | 一旦你收到了信息,就把它发送出去 |
[27:11] | We’ll be sure to back you up. | 我们肯定会支持你的 |
[27:13] | That’s great. | 太棒了 |
[27:14] | The President’s planning a big push on jobs. | 总统在计划一个大动作 |
[27:15] | Should be a good issue for you. | 应该对你来说是件好事 |
[27:18] | And we’re planning to steer clear of health care altogether next couple of months | 而且我们也计划在后面几个月 完全避开卫生保健的问题 |
[27:21] | so you can have that all to yourselves. | 所以你可以自己搞定 |
[27:22] | Perfect. | 太好了 |
[27:23] | We’re getting some movement from Congress on education. | 我们在教育方面会通过国会有动作 |
[27:25] | What kind? | 哪一方面的? |
[27:26] | We’ll get you a summary | 我们会给你一份提纲 |
[27:27] | but probably class size reduction, a little infrastructure money, | 但很可能是班级大小调整, 一些花在基础设施的资金, |
[27:30] | some version of performance incentives for teachers. | 给教师们一点激励 |
[27:32] | That’s right out of the Santos plan. | 都是Santos的计划中所没有的 |
[27:34] | Well, he probably doesn’t have the votes for it. | 那么,他很可能没有得到这方面的选票 |
[27:35] | He definitely doesn’t have the votes. | 他绝对没有得到这些选票 |
[27:37] | But if he’s expressing an interest… | 但是如果他表现出了一点兴趣的话__ |
[27:38] | He’s expressing an interest because the Vinick camp told him to. | 他表现出兴趣就表示Vinick阵营要他这么做 |
[27:41] | Could be. | 应该是 |
[27:41] | Education may be the only thing the public knows about Matt Santos | 教育可能是大众了解Matt Santos的唯一一个方面了 |
[27:44] | other than his hair color. | 甚至多过他头发的颜色 |
[27:46] | We would be thrilled if you kept the hands off. | 如果你还是不插手的话会吓着我们的 |
[27:49] | Wow. Okay. | 哇 好啊 |
[27:51] | You think we can bring it up in a debate after Jed Bartlet’s already moved on it? | 你认为在Jed Bartlet具体实施这个计划以后 我们可以把它用到辩论里面? |
[27:54] | We’ll look like idiots. | 会让我们看起来像傻瓜 |
[27:55] | That’s unfortunate. | 那可真是不幸 |
[27:56] | Okay, everybody, let’s take a breath. | 好了,各位,让我们做个深呼吸 |
[27:59] | Haffley is extending an olive branch. | Haffley伸出了橄榄枝 |
[28:01] | I’m sure the President is just being polite. | 我肯定总统只是出于礼貌 |
[28:05] | He knows he can’t get an education bill passed in his last six months. | 他知道在他最后6个月里面是不可能让他的教育议案通过的 |
[28:08] | The guy’s got a 66% approval rating. | 这个家伙有66%的支持率 |
[28:10] | We’re not rolling up the rugs. | 我们不是在收拾铺盖 |
[28:12] | A new Democratic administration will pass a much more powerful bill. | 一个新的民主党政府会通过一个更有力的议案 |
[28:15] | You people are nine points down. | 你们这边降了9个点 |
[28:17] | It’s better than 20 points down, but it’s not what I’d call a win. | 总比降20个点要好, 但是我也不会说这就是胜利 |
[28:19] | Hey… | 嘿__ |
[28:19] | The only reason the Speaker is opening the door at all is | 演讲者们完全放开的唯一原因就是 |
[28:23] | because he thinks it may wound your campaign. | 他认为这样可以伤害到你的竞选阵营 |
[28:25] | You think he’s going to walk in here a year from now and | 你认为他从现在开始会在这待上一年 |
[28:26] | offer it to the bright-eyed new President? | 然后传给一个火眼金睛的新总统? |
[28:28] | Haffley’s playing you. | Haffley在逗你玩 |
[28:30] | No, actually, he’s screwing you, | 不,实际上,他是在挖苦你, |
[28:31] | and for the moment, we’re comfortable with that. | 而且暂时来说,我们还是很习惯的 |
[28:35] | – He’s screwing the party. – Leo. | -他是在挖苦整个党派 |
[28:36] | He’s screwing the party and using this administration to do it. | 他是在用这个政府来挖苦整个党派 |
[28:39] | The President did not take an oath of party, he took an oath of office. | 总统并没有遵守对党的誓言, 他只是兑现了在办公室的承诺 |
[28:48] | This has been great. | 这已经不错了 |
[28:50] | Coordinate your message calendar with Toby. | 把你的信息传给Toby |
[28:52] | Nice to see you both. | 很高兴见到你们俩 |
[28:59] | Is there anything else I can do for you? | 我还能为你做点什么? |
[29:10] | Hey. | 嘿 |
[29:10] | Babish is still in your office. | Babish还在你的办公室里面 |
[29:12] | Yes. | 好的 |
[29:13] | Were you on the call with the Chinese? | 你刚才在给中国人打电话? |
[29:15] | There was a lot of yelling. | 我听到你在大喊大叫 |
[29:17] | The shuttle launches in a few minutes. | 航天器马上就可以发射了 |
[29:18] | You should probably be down there. | 你应该下去到那里去 |
[29:23] | If he has a minute, I’d like to say hi. | 如果他还有空,我想跟他打个招呼 |
[29:25] | He’s just on his way out. | 他刚刚出去 |
[29:27] | I thought I heard that voice. | 我想我听到了那个声音 |
[29:29] | I’m headed for the dungeon, care for a stroll? | 我要去地牢一趟,一起去散个步? |
[29:31] | I’d love to. | 我很乐意 |
[29:32] | I’m surprised the let you off the trail. | 我很奇怪他们没有抓到你 |
[29:34] | I ducked out with Josh to do a house call, coordinate policy with Toby and C.J. | 我和Josh溜出来做家庭电话调查, 和Toby C J一起调整政策 |
[29:39] | Well, you’re not a campaign manager, now you’re a candidate. | 我说,你又不是竞选阵营的负责人, 现在你是候选人 |
[29:42] | They mentioned something about that. | 他们提到了这些 |
[29:43] | You having a good time? | 你开心了? |
[29:46] | It’s quite a ride. | 你这是在嘲弄我 |
[29:47] | We spoke to Toby and C.J. about this education plan Haffley’s putting on the table. | 我们和Toby C J 谈了一下Haffley提出来的教育计划 |
[29:51] | You think it’s going anywhere? | 你认为这可行吗? |
[29:52] | I’m rolling the dice. | 我是庄家 |
[29:55] | It screws us a little bit. | 这可是在挖苦我们 |
[29:56] | Yeah. | 正是 |
[29:57] | Maybe you back off, leave it for the new kid. | 也许你该走开,让新来的小子做这个 |
[30:02] | If you were my Chief of Staff, what would you tell me to do? | 如果你是我的主管,你会要我怎么做? |
[30:04] | I’d tell you when you walk out of here somebody else has to walk in, | 我会告诉你当你出去以后自然会有人进来顶替你, |
[30:08] | and do what you can to make sure it’s a Democrat. | 你得尽力保证它看起来象民主 |
[30:11] | You want to try that again? | 你还想再试一次? |
[30:13] | You’ve got to think about the future. | 你得为将来做打算 |
[30:15] | If you were my Chief of Staff…? | 如果你是我的办公室主任__? |
[30:23] | Yeah. | 对 |
[30:24] | Yeah, that’s what I thought. | 正是,这正是我想的 |
[30:28] | Mr. McGarry, are you finding the campaign trail exhausting? | McGarry先生,竞选过程把你累坏了吧? |
[30:31] | Invigorating, Kevin. Thanks for asking. | 我精力充沛着呢, Kevin 谢谢关心 |
[30:33] | Is Speaker Haffley floating an education issue with the White House? | 众议院议长Haffley和白宫是不是谈过教育计划了? |
[30:35] | I don’t know what’s going on in the Speaker’s office, | 我不知道在发言人的办公室里面发生了什么, |
[30:37] | but I can tell you that Matt Santos has the most practical approach | 但是我可以告诉你Matt Santos有最有效的手段 |
[30:42] | to improving teacher quality we’ve seen in a long time. | 来提高教师的质量,我们见过很多次了 |
[30:45] | Is it similar to Haffley’s plan? | 这和Haffley的计划相似吗? |
[30:46] | The Santos plan is a comprehensive… | Santos计划是一个综合的__ |
[30:48] | Why is the President working with Haffley if this is the candidate’s baby? | 那为什么总统明知道他是候选人的孩子 还要跟Haffley合作? |
[30:51] | Because the Constitution empowers the President to sign bills into law | 因为宪法允许总统把议案加入法律 |
[30:55] | and doesn’t empower candidates to do anything. | 但并没有授予候选人任何权利 |
[31:01] | Thanks folks, it’s been a real pleasure. | 谢谢各位,真是非常的荣幸 |
[31:06] | I accepted the premise of the question, didn’t I? | 我接受了那些假设,是吗? |
[31:08] | You sure did. | 当然是 |
[31:12] | I just met with Lily Shultz, who we’re hiring, and Dave Blumberg, who we’re not. | 我刚和Lily Shultz见了面,就是我们想雇佣的那个 还有Dave Blumberg,他不是 |
[31:16] | Tell Isabelle. | 告诉Isabelle |
[31:16] | I can’t get anyone from the Colorado delegation to do the Denver rally. | 我在科罗拉多代表团里面 找不到可以参加丹佛集会的人 |
[31:20] | No one? | 没有一个? |
[31:21] | They’re all in D.C. this weekend. | 他们这个周末都在华盛顿 |
[31:23] | Congressmen don’t stay in D.C. on the weekend, | 议员们通常周末都不在华盛顿待着, |
[31:25] | they go home to their districts to make nice with… | 他们都回到自己所在地区的家里去鬼混__ |
[31:29] | Son of a bitch. | 妈的 |
[31:32] | Get Wallingford’s Chief of Staff on the phone, now. | 去打Wallingford的主任的电话,马上去 |
[31:36] | Son of a bitch! | 狗娘养的! |
[31:40] | A little hiccup. | 有点打嗝 |
[31:40] | What? | 什么? |
[31:41] | Leo just inadvertently suggested to the press | Leo无意中透露给媒体 |
[31:43] | that the reason the President’s moving on this education bill is because | 总统要执行教育法案是因为 |
[31:45] | the Congressman’s a generally powerless individual. | 议员单独一人的时候是没什么权力的 |
[31:48] | – Annabeth. – Momentary lapse of reason. | -暂时的特权失效 |
[31:49] | We should probably get out in front of it. | 我们可能应该在它之前脱身出来 |
[31:51] | Good afternoon, sir. | 下午好,先生 |
[31:52] | He feels awful. | 他看起来很糟 |
[31:54] | What was that? | 那是什么? |
[31:55] | A little stumble. Bram! | 一个小错误 |
[31:56] | Kendra, in Wallingford’s office, on line three. | Kendra,在Wallingford的办公室,在3号线 |
[31:57] | The Congressman is about to tell the press | 议员正打算告诉媒体 |
[31:59] | how excited he is that the White House is making in-roads | 他对白宫有所行动而感到十分高兴 |
[32:01] | with the Speaker of the House on an education bill. | 特别是白宫发言人说的教育法案方面 |
[32:04] | Have Trisha draft a release. | 要Trisha起草一份弃权声明 |
[32:05] | The Congressman doesn’t like that idea very much. | 议员不喜欢这个想法 |
[32:07] | It’s one of those “Close your eyes and think of England” moments. | 这是一个闭上眼睛找灵感的时刻 |
[32:10] | Josh, Sandy’s waiting for comments on this. | Josh,Sandy在等着对这方面的评论 |
[32:14] | Leo? | |
[32:15] | Yeah, let’s not worry about that right now. | 知道,现在还不用着急 |
[32:16] | You’ve got a press avail in the conference room. | 会议室里有一家媒体在等着你 |
[32:18] | Big smiles. | 大大的微笑 |
[32:25] | Kendra, for the love of God, you can’t do this to me! | Kendra,看在上帝的份上, 你不能这样对我! |
[32:35] | I started without you. | 我自己先吃了 |
[32:37] | That’s okay. | 很好 |
[32:39] | Where were we? | 我们在哪儿? |
[32:41] | Greg Brock. | |
[32:41] | The name sounds familiar. | 这个名字听起来很熟 |
[32:43] | You got any mustard? | 你有芥末吗? |
[32:44] | On your salad? | 放到你的沙拉上面? |
[32:45] | Yes or no? | 有还是没有? |
[32:48] | So, uh, you guys spend some time together? | 那么,啊,你们刚才在一起? |
[32:53] | Brock? | |
[32:54] | We can hold a conversation. | 我们得谈谈 |
[32:55] | He’s the guy? | 他就是那个人? |
[32:56] | Which guy would that be? | 什么人啊? |
[32:57] | Your fav. | 你最喜欢的那种 |
[32:59] | I don’t play favorites. | 我不来这一套 |
[33:01] | I’m thinking you play favorites, | 我以为你喜欢的, |
[33:02] | given the number of times his name appears on your call sheet and also given the fact | 在你的电话清单上数数他的名字出现的次数 |
[33:06] | that six reporters in the White House Press Corps say you play favorites. | 而且白宫媒体中有6个记者报道过你的事情 |
[33:11] | It used to be Danny Concanon, now it’s Greg Brock. | 以前是Danny Concanon,现在又成了Greg Brock |
[33:14] | So… | 所以__ |
[33:16] | it’s a crush, or an affair, or a mutually acknowledged though never requited… | 这是压榨,或者是事件, 或者是一种不要回报的互相承认__ |
[33:22] | what are we talking about here? | 我们在这里讨论什么? |
[33:23] | Oliver, I have a whole lot to do. | Oliver,我还有很多事情要做 |
[33:25] | It got personal with Danny, right? | 是和Danny有关的私事,不是吗? |
[33:26] | If he’s the new Danny… | 如果他是一个全新的Danny__ |
[33:27] | We’re not doing this. | 我们可没有这么做 |
[33:28] | You talk to him every day. | 你每天都找他谈话 |
[33:30] | He drops by more than a guy with a phone in his pocket needs to drop by. | 他打电话拜访了所有他需要利用的人 |
[33:35] | And he published code-word classified information on the front page of his newspaper. | 而且他还在报纸的第一页发表了 用密码写的机密信息 |
[33:40] | So this does not fall under the category of things to which I do not need an answer. | 所以这件事并不属于我需要有答案的那些事情 |
[33:47] | You think the leak came from me. | 你认为是我泄露出去的 |
[33:53] | I’m the suspect. | 我只是怀疑 |
[33:55] | Can you tell me about the nature of your relationship with Greg Brock? | 你能告诉我你和Greg Brock的关系是什么样的吗? |
[34:08] | Where’s the Congressman? | 议员在哪里? |
[34:08] | He’s still in front of the cameras. | 他还在上电视呢 |
[34:09] | Okay, shut the door. | 那好,把门关上 |
[34:13] | Wallingford’s avoiding our events | Wallingford不想参与到我们中间 |
[34:14] | because Vinick’s polling 28 points ahead in his district. | 因为Vinick在他的地盘上领先了28个点 |
[34:17] | And he’s not the only one. It’s a bunch of the Democrats. | 而且还不止他一个 有很多民主党人都是这样 |
[34:18] | – 28 points? – Well, Vinick’s a known quantity. | -28个点? -嗯,Vinick是个知名人物 |
[34:21] | Santos appeared out of nowhere at the eleventh hour at the Convention. | Santos在会谈的第11个小时里面似乎不在 |
[34:24] | So we’re scrapping the party-unity strategy. | 所以我们在为了两党合作战略而争吵 |
[34:26] | The new strategy is we don’t put Congressmen up on the stage at events | 新战略就是我们还没有把议员摆上舞台 |
[34:30] | because Santos isn’t a party hack. | 因为Santos还不是个政客 |
[34:31] | He’s his own man. | 他只顾他自己 |
[34:32] | What happened? | 怎么了? |
[34:33] | Wallingford’s avoiding us. | Wallingford在躲着我们 |
[34:35] | So is Hammond, Warren, Campbell, and Ross. | 而且Hammond, Warren, Campbell,还有Ross也是一样 |
[34:36] | What other districts had Vinick ahead by more than 20 points? | 还有哪些地区让Vinick领先不止20个点? |
[34:39] | Uh, looks like Kelly, Grader, Harrison, Zwick. | 呃,似乎有Kelly, Grader, Harrison, Zwick |
[34:45] | Harrison? | |
[34:46] | I’ve got, uh, Marcus, Scott, and Lester. | 我这有,呃, Marcus, Scott,和Lester |
[34:51] | Okay, the Congressman calls this list, Leo this. | 好吧,议员需要这份清单,Leo这份 |
[34:55] | Within the next 24 hours. | 在24小时以内 |
[34:56] | We’ve got to do some hand-holding. | 我们得做一些手把手的工作了 |
[34:57] | Kelly and I go way back. | Kelly和我回去 |
[34:58] | Zwick, too. Put them on my list. | Zwick,你也一起 把他们放到我的名单上 |
[35:01] | I’ll call them all. | 我会打给他们的 |
[35:02] | I’ll do all the calls. | 我来打所有这些电话 |
[35:03] | Who else? | 还有谁? |
[35:04] | Um, Houfek, Fenton… | 嗯,Houfek, Fenton__ |
[35:08] | That’s the whole Colorado delegation. | 那可是全部的科罗拉多代表团 |
[35:09] | Sir, the CNN guy’s still waiting. | 先生,CNN的人还在等 |
[35:12] | Right, tell him I need five minutes, but get Houfek on the phone for me, right now. | 知道了,告诉他再等5分钟, 但是让Houfek打电话给我,马上 |
[35:14] | Okay. | 好的 |
[35:17] | Josh, you’ve got another interview. | Josh,你还有一个面试 |
[35:19] | I told Chuck, everybody who’s still waiting come back tomorrow. | 我已经告诉Chuck了,所有还在等的人明天再来 |
[35:21] | Chuck said you’d want this one. | Chuck说你想见这个人 |
[35:22] | Well, Chuck is wrong. | 那么,Chuck弄错了 |
[35:27] | What else? | 还有什么吗? |
[35:28] | Hang on. | 等等 |
[35:34] | That’s it. | 就这些了 |
[35:35] | That’s it? | 就是这些? |
[35:36] | I’m sure it isn’t. | 我肯定不止这些 |
[35:39] | That’s it. | 就是这些 |
[35:40] | You didn’t even ask me. | 你根本都没有问我 |
[35:42] | Ask you what? | 问你什么? |
[35:42] | “Did you tell Greg Brock of the New York Times | “你告诉过Greg Brock关于纽约时报报道 |
[35:44] | of the existence of a classified military space shuttle?” | 秘密军事航天器存在的事吗?” |
[35:47] | I don’t want to know. | 我根本不想知道 |
[35:52] | I need to see the President. | 我要见总统 |
[35:57] | Nice headline in the Post today. | 这可是今天报纸的好标题 |
[35:59] | That’s got to feel good. | 感觉挺不错的 |
[36:00] | Yeah, it does. | 对,确实这样 |
[36:01] | Heady stuff. | 头脑发热 |
[36:02] | How’s Will? | Will怎么样了? |
[36:03] | Well, back in the VP’s office. | 呃,回到副总统的办公室了 |
[36:06] | He wanders around a lot like a guy who can’t find his glasses. | 他像个找不到眼睛的人一样到处乱撞 |
[36:09] | You going back there, too? | 你也回到那里了? |
[36:10] | The Vice President’s office? | 副总统办公室? |
[36:13] | I’m glad you brought that up. | 我很高兴你说这个 |
[36:16] | I’m proud to say I’ve grown a lot in the last few months. | 我可以自豪地说 在过去几个月里面我成熟了不少 |
[36:21] | The Russell Campaign gave me some wonderful opportunities. | Russell竞选阵营给过我很多好机会 |
[36:23] | I took an active role in drafting policy positions and | 我在政策起草方面很活跃而且 |
[36:26] | eventually was promoted to the role of Campaign Spokesperson. | 甚至被提名为竞选阵营的发言人 |
[36:29] | – Donna… – Let me get through this. | -让我说完 |
[36:30] | It’s one of the more awkward moments of a lifetime. | 这可是一生中最难堪的时刻之一 |
[36:32] | I can’t do this. | 我不能做这个 |
[36:33] | I’m good is the point. | 重点在于我很优秀 |
[36:36] | I’m as surprised as you are and rumor has it that you could use a deputy. | 我和你一样感到吃惊 而且传言你可以使用授权 |
[36:52] | “Matthew Santos is throwing a ton of numbers at you | “Matthew Santos对你扔了一吨的数字 |
[36:55] | hoping you’ll be so confused as to miss the fact that his education plan | 希望你会被迷惑而忽略到他的教育计划其实 |
[36:58] | is both impractical and unaffordable. | 既不可行也负担不起 |
[37:00] | He was a House member, you’d think behavior like that would irritate him.” | 他是个家庭成员,你那样只会激怒他的 “ |
[37:03] | Donna Moss, Spokesperson, Russell for President Campaign. | Donna Moss,发言人 Russell,总统竞选阵营 |
[37:06] | I didn’t mean that he was… | 我的意思是他并不是__ |
[37:06] | “Claiming that 3 House terms qualifies you to be President is | “声明3个住房计划让你够资格当总统就象 |
[37:09] | like me saying I’m a foreign relations expert because I ordered Kung Pao last night.” | 我说我是个外国关系学家因为我昨晚订了中式晚餐一样 “ |
[37:14] | I didn’t say that, did I? | 我没有那么说,是吗? |
[37:15] | February 26; Coffee, Cake, and Candidates; Raleigh, North Carolina. | 2月26日;咖啡,蛋糕,和候选人 Raleigh,北卡罗来纳 |
[37:19] | “He wasn’t a military strategist, he was a pilot. | “他不是个军事战略家, 他是个飞行员 |
[37:21] | Ask him about the overhead compartment, not about defense.” | 问他一些关于飞机的东西 不要问防守” |
[37:24] | You called Russell a cowpoke. | 你说Russell是个牛仔 |
[37:26] | You said the President avoided him in the halls. | 你说总统在大厅里躲着他 |
[37:28] | You hummed “These Boots are Made for Walking” every time the press mentioned his name. | 你每当媒体提到他的名字还唱”这些靴子是用来走路的” |
[37:30] | Yeah, but I won. | 对,但是我赢了 |
[37:35] | It was my job, Josh. | 这不是我的工作, Josh |
[37:39] | You’re not used to me being in a position of authority. | 你还没有适应我的权威地位 |
[37:41] | I’m sure that’s uncomfortable. | 我肯定这很不爽 |
[37:42] | I’ve got an airplane hangar out there filled with 500 strangers looking to me for direction; | 我看见一个飞机吊架装着500个等着给他们指路的人; |
[37:46] | I’ve got a candidate who doesn’t trust any of them, and frankly neither do I. | 我这有个应试者不相信任何人,而且老实说,包括我 |
[37:51] | And if you think I don’t miss you every day… | 而且如果你不相信我每天都在想你的话__ |
[38:00] | I can make a couple of calls… | 我可以打很多个电话__ |
[38:05] | Thank you for your time. | 谢谢你抽出时间来 |
[38:24] | You need to stop the internal investigation of the security leak. | 你应该停止因机密泄露展开的内部调查 |
[38:27] | Excuse me? | 什么? |
[38:27] | A White House investigation is, at best, superfluous. | 白宫的调查,最好,都是多余的 |
[38:30] | Are you getting tired? | 你厌烦了吗? |
[38:31] | We can give this to somebody else. | 我们可以把这个交给其他人 |
[38:33] | I appreciate that, sir. | 我很感激这样做,先生 |
[38:34] | I know you have a lot on your plate. | 我知道你有你的原因 |
[38:36] | You know, that’s true. | 你知道的,确实是这样 |
[38:37] | This was a massive security breech. | 这是个庞大的安全机构 |
[38:40] | Not only will we continue our investigation, | 不止我们会继续我们的调查, |
[38:42] | we’ll make it abundantly clear to the American people that | 我们会充分证明给美国人民看 |
[38:45] | it is among our highest priorities and not even remotely superfluous. | 这就在我们的最高优先权之中 而不仅仅是多余 |
[38:49] | The evidence thus far suggests the leak came from inside the White House. | 现在的证据表明泄露是来自白宫内部 |
[38:53] | This was not NASA or DOD. | 不是国家航天局或国防部 |
[38:56] | This was us. | 那就是我们 |
[38:57] | And we are not qualified to investigate ourselves. | 我们没有资格调查自己 |
[38:59] | We’re not? | 我们不能? |
[39:00] | I don’t have subpoena power. | 我没有发传票的权力 |
[39:01] | I can’t put people under oath. | 我不能让别人宣誓 |
[39:04] | If you want answers, cooperate with the Attorney General’s investigation and with Congress. | 如果你想知道答案,就配合律师长的调查以及配合国会 |
[39:09] | You have a suspect. | 你有个怀疑对象 |
[39:10] | Otherwise we wouldn’t be having this conversation. | 不然我们就没有这个对话 |
[39:13] | Come in. | 进来 |
[39:14] | We’re going to get slammed for this. | 我们得在这件事上赶紧了 |
[39:16] | The press is going to say we’re running like frightened rabbits down the nearest hole | 媒体会说我们就象受惊的兔子一样 死命往最近的洞跑 |
[39:19] | and they’ll be right. | 他们会是对的 |
[39:30] | You’re not going to tell me who your suspect is? | 你不准备告诉我你怀疑的人是谁? |
[39:32] | No, sir, I’m not. | 不,先生,我不会说的 |
[39:50] | Is this a bad time? | 还不是时候? |
[39:51] | Oh, if you’re waiting for a good time you may be waiting a while. | 哦,如果你要等个好时机你得等上一阵子 |
[39:59] | I made a misstep today with the press. | 今天我应对媒体的时候失策了 |
[40:01] | The President’s going to pass an education bill because he’s powerful and I’m a lot of hot air. | 总统准备通过一项教育议案 因为他有这个权力而且我很会夸夸其谈 |
[40:07] | Yeah, that was ugly. | 是啊,真是丑陋 |
[40:08] | I apologize. | 我道歉 |
[40:09] | It was truly embarrassing. | 确实是很尴尬 |
[40:10] | Leo, | |
[40:12] | do a 20/20 interview, | 做一个20/20的访谈, |
[40:14] | tell them the story they want to hear. | 告诉他们一个他们想听的故事 |
[40:16] | They’ll stop gunning for you. | 他们就不会攻击你了 |
[40:18] | I could talk about addictions and heart attacks till I’m blue in the face. | 我可以说毒瘾和心脏病的问题直到我脸色发白 |
[40:21] | Best strategy is to call it old news and move on. | 最好的战略是称它为过时新闻然后再继续 |
[40:23] | It’s not the best strategy. It’s not working. | 这不是最好的战略 这样没用 |
[40:25] | I’m spending half my day talking about it. | 我花了半天的时间来讨论这个 |
[40:29] | Do the interview. | 做一个访谈 |
[40:32] | If you’re having second thoughts, there are options. | 如果你再想一下,还可以有其他选择 |
[40:35] | Are you trying to quit? | 你准备不干了? |
[40:36] | No, certainly not. | 不,当然不是 |
[40:38] | You’re either trying to quit or you’re trying to get me to fire you. | 要么你就是准备自己退出, 要么就是准备让我解雇你 |
[40:41] | Well, it’s something to think about. | 呃,这可要考虑一下 |
[40:42] | I’m not going to fire you. | 我不准备解雇你 |
[40:45] | You want out you’re going to have to drum up another heart attack or something. | 你想退出除非你又得了心脏病之类的 |
[40:48] | Thank you. That’s a beautiful sentiment. | 谢谢 真是感情好 |
[40:50] | I’m just, I’m not sure what your vision for my role is. | 我只是,我不确定你对我是怎么看的 |
[40:53] | At the moment it’s stumping and smiling for the cameras; | 现在的看法只是在镜头前微笑着做政治演说; |
[40:57] | not herding policy advisors and running over to the White House with Josh. | 而不是召集政策顾问并和Josh一起管理白宫 |
[41:01] | You can’t do his job for him. | 你不能把他的事也做了 |
[41:02] | My strength is my experience and my relationships on the Hill. | 我的强项就是我的经验和我的关系 |
[41:06] | What happens if you get on the phone with Hammond, and Kelly and Zwick? | 如果你和Hammond打电话会怎么样,还有Kelly和Zwick? |
[41:10] | I can’t win a race when we tell people that | 我不能保证当我们告诉别人 |
[41:12] | when things get really serious they’re going to be getting a call from Leo McGarry. | 事情非常严重的时候他们会接到Leo McGarry的电话 |
[41:16] | You saw the poll. | 你看到民意测验了 |
[41:16] | America thinks you’re the chaperone and I’m running for Prom King. | 美国认为你就是陪护人 而我是舞会王子 |
[41:22] | If you can’t utilize my expertise I’m just a drag on the ticket. | 如果你不能利用我的经验 我就是在拉后腿了 |
[41:25] | Look, nobody hired you because you’d be a brilliant campaigner. | 听着,没有人会因为你是个伟大的竞选阵营委员而雇佣你 |
[41:28] | You’re a beginner in all this. | 你在这里面只是个初学者 |
[41:30] | Yes, at the moment, you’re a liability, but you’ll get the hang of it. | 是,现在这个时候,你在尽义务, 你会慢慢熟悉的 |
[41:35] | You’re here because you know how to run a country. | 你在这里是因为你知道如何治理一个国家 |
[41:37] | The conversation I’m interested in is how do we build a four year plan | 我对这个对话最感兴趣的是 我们怎么建立一个四年计划 |
[41:41] | where you don’t know what kind of Congress you’re going to have to work with. | 而且是在你不知道会跟什么样的国会打交道的时候 |
[41:43] | That’s what transition is about. | 这就是过渡 |
[41:45] | I don’t want to wait until transition. | 我不想一直等到过渡时期 |
[41:48] | I want a plan in place. | 我现在就要一个计划 |
[41:50] | I want to spend transition hiring a staff that can execute it | 我想把过渡时期用来雇佣可以执行它的职员 |
[41:54] | and on day one I want to get to work, not dickering around for the first three months. | 然后第一天我就可以开始工作, 而不是在前三个月里面讨价还价 |
[41:58] | You want something to worry about, worry about that. | 你想要找点事做,做这个吧 |
[41:59] | Okay. | 没问题 |
[42:03] | Well, let’s start by reframing the question. | 那么,让我们从重新制订问题开始 |
[42:06] | Forget about a four-year term. | 忘掉四年计划吧 |
[42:08] | The Presidency is 18 months. | 总统任期是18个月 |
[42:09] | That’s your window. | 那是你的事 |
[42:11] | After that, there’s midterms. | 那个之后,就到了中期 |
[42:12] | No one on the Hill’s got time to do business with you. | 没有人会有时间来应付你 |
[42:14] | They’re too busy getting reelected. | 他们都在忙着重新选举 |
[42:16] | Then, suddenly, | 接着,突然, |
[42:18] | you’re running again. | 你又开始工作了 |
[42:19] | So, I’m basically throwing out everything but my first five pages? | 所以,我基本上要扔掉除开前5页之外所有的东西? |
[42:23] | In the garbage. | 丢到垃圾箱里面 |
[42:24] | Realistically, one page, | 现实点,一张, |
[42:27] | but we can do this in phases. | 但是我们可以在不同的阶段去做 |
[42:32] | Hey, Costos is waiting. I’ve got to pull him. | 嘿,Costos在等着 我得去推掉他 |
[42:34] | Later. | 等会吧 |
[42:35] | What are they doing? | 他们在做什么? |
[42:38] | Making plans. | 做计划 |
[42:43] | Transcribed by Soundman “TWIZ TV.COM”. Feedback to sparticus1611@hotmail.com. | |
[42:46] | Sync : whoopss (whoopss1@nate.com) |