时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:43] | THE WEST WING 7×02. THE MOMMY PROBLEM | |
[00:45] | Original air date: 10/02/2005 | |
[00:46] | You wanted the message plan for Monday’s bill signing. | 你曾要过星期一法案签署仪式的讯息传达方案 |
[00:48] | Scheduling and Advance is thinking little flags. | Scheduling and Advance在考虑用小旗子 |
[00:51] | Little flags? | 小旗子? |
[00:52] | American ones. | 美国国旗 |
[00:53] | So we’ve stopped using the skull and crossbones, then? | 那么我们不再用骷髅头和大腿骨了吗? |
[00:55] | They want to line the President’s signing table with a great big row of… | 他们想在总统签署法案的桌子上放上一长排… |
[00:57] | – …little flags. – Yes. | – …小旗子. – 是的. |
[00:58] | – And the message is? – This is America. | – 要传达的信息是? – 这是美国. |
[01:00] | Not to be unpatriotic, but they do realize this is a Fisheries bill. | 不是我缺乏爱国心 不过要知道这是个渔业方案 |
[01:03] | You’d like them to come up with a… | 那你想让他们设计一个… |
[01:04] | A sign, a slogan, something a little more specific than a great big row of… | 一个标识,标语,特别一点的东西, 而不是一长排… |
[01:07] | …little flags. | …小旗子 |
[01:08] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[01:11] | Little fish. | 小鱼. |
[01:12] | …that there’s a military shuttle, | …一架军用航空器 |
[01:14] | that that’s the only way to repair the station’s laboratory module. | 这是修理太空站实验舱的唯一方法. |
[01:18] | But with Brock refusing to answer Grand Jury questions on his source for the top… | 但由于Brock拒绝回答大陪审团他的消息来源… |
[01:24] | NASA just announced that the astronauts fixed the space station all by themselves. | NASA刚刚宣布宇航员们自己修好了太空站. |
[01:28] | Anybody buying it? | 有人相信吗? |
[01:29] | Not so much. | 不算太信 |
[01:30] | Well, we’ve got a Congressional committee investigating a national security leak out of this building; | 呃,一个国会委员会正在调查 白宫里有人泄漏国家机密的案子 |
[01:34] | Washington is devolving into another gavel-splitting, nose-thumbing standstill; | 华盛顿就要衰落成一个槌子敲碎的会议僵局; |
[01:38] | not to mention the fact that | 更不用提 |
[01:39] | the Fisheries bill could be the better part of my legacy as White House Chief of Staff. | 这个渔业法案可能是我这个白宫幕僚长 能留下的较好的一份遗产. |
[01:43] | What’s this? | 这是什么? |
[01:44] | Uh, President and White House Council wanted to put out a statement. | 噢,总统和白宫委员会要发表一个声明 |
[01:46] | We worked out the language while I was in the car. | 我们在车里草拟了一些词句 |
[01:48] | “Respect for the paw”? | “尊重手掌(PAW)”? |
[01:49] | Law. Respect for the law. | 法律(LAW) 是尊重法律 |
[01:51] | It looks like respect for the paw. | 看起来是尊重”手掌” |
[01:52] | You try writing longhand at 50 miles an hour. | 你在每小时50英里时速记试一试. |
[01:54] | You think this is a good idea? | 你认为这个办法好吗? |
[01:56] | I think the President and White House Council want it out. | 我认为总统和白宫委员会想从外部解决. |
[01:58] | You don’t think Vinick will stomp all over this, not to mention Santos? | 你认为Vinick不会在此事上大作文章吗, 再说Santos怎么办? |
[02:01] | I think the President and White House Council want it out. | 我认为总统和白宫委员会想从外部解决. |
[02:10] | Now, if you don’t think I have a personal stake in my economic plan, | 如果你认为我对自己的收入和支出毫不关心 |
[02:15] | if you don’t think it’s personal for me ? | 如果你认为这不关我个人的事? |
[02:17] | hey, if the country doesn’t like it, I’ll be the first one unemployed. | 嘿,如果这个国家不喜欢它, 那我将是第一个失业的人。 |
[02:31] | We can’t hang on to the jobs of the past; none of us can. | 我们决不能紧抓住那些过时的职业不放; 任何人都不能。 |
[02:35] | The entire store of human knowledge now doubles every five years. | 现在每五年人类的知识总量就会翻一番。 |
[02:40] | A child that is born tonight could live to see the 22nd Century. | 今夜诞生的婴儿,可以活到目睹22世纪。 |
[02:46] | If we nourish innovation, if we tear down red tape and regulation, | 如果我们能锐意改革创新, 如果我们能抛弃陈规陋习, |
[02:52] | that child could lead a brand new industry; can cure a dreaded disease; | 这个孩子就能够领导一个全新的产业; 能够治愈一种可怕的疾病; |
[02:58] | can touch a far horizon that we can’t even glimpse yet. | 能够抵达那遥远的,我们闻所未闻的新境界. |
[03:03] | So if it’s personal for you, | 所以,如果你认为这也是你自已的事, |
[03:05] | if you want your child to grow up in a world fueled by new prosperity and path-breaking discovery, | 如果你希望你的孩子生长在一个 充满新的繁荣和开创性发明的世界, |
[03:14] | then I need your vote, ’cause you ain’t seen nothing yet! | 那么,我需要你的投票, 因为你现在还什么都没有看到! |
[03:29] | If we start the speech by five past noon and the Portland affiliates will carry it live. | 如果我们下午五点开始演讲, 波特兰分部将现场转播。 |
[03:32] | Then let’s start by noon. | 那我们就中午开始。 |
[03:33] | And the Secret Service would prefer it if you didn’t wade into the crowd. | 特勤组希望你不要进入人群中 |
[03:36] | Well, you should tell the Secret Service: | 噢,你应该告诉特勤组: |
[03:38] | put 40 electoral votes on the table, I’ll do whatever they want. | 如果能给我40张选举团票, 让我做什么都行。 |
[03:56] | Popular Mechanics, 1949. | 1949年流行的机械学 |
[03:58] | I’m not making this up; they predicted it. | 这个不是我编的 是他们当时的预测 |
[04:00] | In the future, computers will weigh no more than one and a half tons. | 将来的计算机将只有一吨半重. |
[04:08] | So, if you think my plan for high-tech jobs is a little light… | 所以,如果你认为我的 高科技工作岗位计划份量还轻的话… |
[05:19] | Anybody got any questions? | 有没有人问问题? |
[05:29] | Hey, you’re here all night again? | 嗨,你又在这熬了通宵? |
[05:30] | I thought you left at 10:30. | 我以为你10:30就走了. |
[05:32] | I came back when I saw the cable coverage of yesterday’s West Coast Swing. | 我看到有线电视播出昨天的西岸环游就回来了. |
[05:36] | Our economic message is working, so I’m revamping the message plan. | 我们的经济讯息发挥作用了, 所以我修订一下讯息方案. |
[05:39] | We would have stayed and helped. | 我们会留下来帮你的. |
[05:40] | Uh, tell Field: no way am I spending that much on Delaware, | 呃,告诉Field: 我绝不在特拉华费那么多时间, |
[05:43] | tell speechwriting to try a version of this that actually wins votes, | 告诉撰稿人用这个能赢选票的稿子 |
[05:47] | and tell Advance I’m canceling the foreign policy reporters’ meeting | 另外告诉Advance我取消了 外交政策记者会 |
[05:51] | and adding a town hall on high-tech jobs when he gets to Tampa. | 另外他到达坦帕时增加一个关于高科技 岗位的室内演讲 |
[05:54] | What are those boxes? | 这些方框是什么? |
[05:55] | People think the campaign’s about two competing answers to the same question. | 大家以为这场选举是 关于一个问题的两个答案之间的竞争. |
[05:59] | They’re not. | 其实不对 |
[06:00] | They’re a fight over the question itself. | 他们争夺的是问题本身 |
[06:03] | Now Vinick is opening up a big lead on security issues. | 现在Vinick在安全议题上 大幅领先 |
[06:06] | That’s box number one. | 这是一号盒子 |
[06:07] | Okay, so we need to do more military… | OK,所以我们需要多准备军事… |
[06:08] | No, because if the race is about that, we lose. | 不,因为如果这是场 关于这个问题的竞赛,我们就输了. |
[06:11] | But we’re way ahead on most domestic issues. | 但我们在大多数国内议题上领先. |
[06:13] | This new economic message could be our ticket. | 这个新的经济话题可能是我们的入场券. |
[06:16] | If we keep the conversation in box number two, we win this thing. | 如果我们把议题限制在第二号盒子里, 我们就能赢. |
[06:19] | What’s in box number three? | 第三个盒子里是什么? |
[06:20] | Trivia, ephemera, stuff we can’t control. | 杂事,突发的事件 我们无法控制的事情 |
[06:24] | From today on, every speech, every public event ? box number two. | 从今天起,所有演讲, 所有公开活动,都在第二号盒子里进行. |
[06:28] | Did you do this stuff on Bartlet’s campaign? | 你在巴特勒的竞选中也用这些盒子吗? |
[06:30] | Toby Ziegler. | 是Toby Ziegler在用. |
[06:31] | A few more nights like this, we could go hairline-for-hairline. | 再有几个这样的晚上, 我们的头发也要掉光了. |
[06:33] | CNN says the White House is about to make a big announcement about the national security leak. | CNN 说白宫将要发表一个 关于国家秘密泄漏的重要声明. |
[06:37] | That can’t be, they’re trying to damp that story down. | 这不可能,他们正在淡化这件事. |
[06:39] | Tell it to CNN. | 跟CNN说吧 |
[06:42] | Operator, get me Toby Ziegler, now. | 接线员, 给我接Toby Ziegler, 快. |
[06:47] | Yeah. | 喂 |
[06:47] | Whatever you’re announcing… | 不管你们要发表什么… |
[06:48] | …tell me you’re going to damp down this leak story, and not… | 告诉我你们要淡化处理泄密事件,而不是… |
[06:51] | We’re stopping our internal investigation to cooperate with Congress and the Grand Jury. | 我们将停止内部调查 与国会和大陪审团合作. |
[06:54] | It’ll look like Democrats don’t care if there are felons in the Sit Room! | 那会看起来会象民主党人毫不关心 有没有罪犯坐在客厅里! |
[06:57] | Santos is going to get tarred for this! | 这要把Santos全盖住了! |
[07:03] | Bad news for Matt Santos, who just got the spotlight off Leo McGarry’s health. | 对Matt Santos来说是个坏消息,他刚刚把人们 的注意力从Leo McGarry的健康上移开. |
[07:07] | So, national security leak, is that in box number 3? | 国家秘密泄漏, 这在三号盒子里吗? |
[07:14] | Santos has been trailing his opponent, Republican senator Arnold Vinick. | Santos正落后于他的对手, 共和党参议员Arnold Vinick. |
[08:08] | Keep away from the press. | 离媒体远点 |
[08:09] | No talking to the press until we hear what Vinick says. | 不要对媒体讲话 直到Vinick开口. |
[08:13] | We should have somebody on the road with him. | 我们应该有个人跟他一起旅行 |
[08:14] | Bram’s on the road with him. | Bram和他在一起 |
[08:15] | A senior advisor to handle things. | 一个处理事情的高级顾问. |
[08:17] | I’m flying out this afternoon. | 今天下午我要离开 |
[08:19] | What about Edie? | Edie怎么办? |
[08:20] | I’ve got half a dozen Democratic media consultants coming in a half an hour, | 半小时后有6个民主党媒体顾问要来, |
[08:23] | I’m flying out this afternoon. | 下午我要离开. |
[08:25] | Josh! | |
[08:27] | The President’s shutting down his investigation of the security leak. | 总统将中止对泄密事件的调查. |
[08:30] | Do you think there’s a sound legal basis for this? | 你觉得这样做有充足的法律根据吗? |
[08:32] | If that were my White House, I’d seal the doors and windows until we found that leaker, | 如果我在白宫,我会把所有的窗户封得 严严实实,直到找到泄密者, |
[08:38] | and then I’d throw ’em in federal prison. | 然后把他们关进联邦监狱. |
[08:42] | Vinick’s public schedule; I need his schedule for the day. | Vinick的公关计划; 给我他今天的计划. |
[08:45] | Josh. | |
[08:47] | Is that the Congressman? | 是议员吗? |
[08:48] | What are they smoking in that White House of yours, Josh? | 你们的白宫里在搞什么鬼, Josh? |
[08:50] | First they Bogart my education plan for some low-tar Congressional compromise, | 他们先是为了向国会妥协 阻碍了我的教育计划 |
[08:55] | and then they serve up a big fat pitch for switch-hitter Vinick. | 然后又向击球高手Vinick 投了一个又肥又大的棒球. |
[08:58] | It’s a legal strategy. | 这是法律措施. |
[09:00] | We’ve got to avoid commenting or it’ll swamp our economic message. | 我们要避免对此评论,否则 就会冲淡我们的经济议题 |
[09:03] | I have to make a statement to get past this. | 我得发表个声明才能过这一关. |
[09:05] | It’s all the press is going to want to talk about. | 媒体只想报道这件事. |
[09:06] | Any comment on this drags us into a bad story miles off our economic message. | 作任何评论都会把我拖进泥坑, 会让我们远离经济议题. |
[09:11] | Well, you know I’m having lunch with two dozen foreign policy reporters today. | 噢,要知道我要和一大批 外交政策记者共进午餐 |
[09:15] | Josh cancelled that about an hour ago. | Josh一小时前取消了这个午餐. |
[09:17] | For what? | 为什么? |
[09:18] | For a town hall on high-tech jobs, and I’m making it a reverse town hall. | 换成了一个关于高科技岗位的室内演讲, 我要把它做成一个反向室内演讲. |
[09:23] | You ask people their personal stories. | 你向观众问问题 |
[09:25] | No one gets to ask you unscripted question. | 没有人会问你计划外的问题. |
[09:27] | He can handle tough questions. | 他能应付难回答的问题. |
[09:29] | You should see him out here, he’s on fire. | 你应该看看他在这儿的表现,他火极了. |
[09:30] | All this attention on the leak story, it’s magnifying the inevitable “Mommy Problem.” | 对泄密事件的关注, 会放大这个不可避免的”母亲问题” |
[09:35] | Mommy Problem? | 母亲问题? |
[09:36] | When voters want a national daddy | 当选民们想要一个父亲 |
[09:39] | someone to be tough and strong and defend the country, they vote Republican. | 一个强硬有力,能够保卫这个国家的人, 他们就投共和党的票. |
[09:42] | When they want a mommy, someone to give them jobs, health care | 当他们想要一个母亲, 能给予他们工作,医疗保障 |
[09:46] | the policy equivalent of motzah ball soup, they vote Democratic. | 和类似于丸子汤的政策, 他们会投票给民主党. |
[09:49] | On domestic issues, we’re three points up. | 在国内议题上, 我们领先三分. |
[09:52] | We’re better than Vinick on military issues, plus the Congressman was a Marine pilot | 我们在军事议题上比Vinick强, 再说议员曾是海军航空兵 |
[09:55] | flying off carriers in the Gulf. Vinick never even served. | 他在海湾战争中曾从航空母舰上驾机起飞. Vinick根本没有服过役. |
[09:58] | Democrats don’t beat Republicans on security issues. | 民主党在安全议题上不是共和党的对手. |
[10:00] | I know it’s phony. I know it’s frustrating. | 我知道这不是真的. 我知道这很泄气. |
[10:02] | But we have to stay in the box that we can win. | 但我们得待在那个能让我们赢的盒子里. |
[10:04] | That’s why Vinick attacked Bartlet: to force us back on security. | 这就是Vinick攻击巴特勒的原因: 他要迫使我们回到安全议题上来. |
[10:07] | So we avoid the press and give them no choice but to cover our economic message. | 所以我们避开媒体 只让他们报道经济议题 |
[10:11] | That’s right. | 没错. |
[10:12] | One sentence and he boxes me into a corner. | 他一句话就把我逼到墙角. |
[10:15] | Doesn’t even mention my name. | 甚至连我的名字都没提. |
[10:16] | Look, we’ve got to get to this Jacksonville crowd event. We’ll see you guys in Tampa. | 现在我要赶到杰克逊维尔的群众集会. 我们在坦帕见面. |
[10:20] | Thank you, sir. | 谢谢. |
[10:27] | And having made the essential repairs to the space station’s laboratory module, | 对太空站实验舱作了基本维修之后, |
[10:31] | NASA now expects the astronauts to return home within the next four to five days. | NASA现在希望宇航员们 在四至五天内返回. |
[10:38] | It’s Josh, again. | 又是Josh. |
[10:40] | I told him to call Toby; he insisted on talking to you. | 我告诉过他打电话给Toby; 他坚持要和你谈. |
[10:42] | Find Toby, will you? | 请把Toby找来. |
[10:47] | Joshua, for the love of my sanity, please talk to Toby. | Joshua,让我清静一下吧, 找Toby谈. |
[10:50] | He’s my liaison to the campaign. | 他是我的竞选联络人. |
[10:52] | How could you let the President do this, when I finally find a message that works? | 你们怎能让总统这么做? 我好不容易才找到一个能发挥作用的话题. |
[10:56] | It was a legal decision. | 这是个法律上的决定. |
[10:57] | And you work in the most politicized square footage in the country | 你在全国最具政治性的地方工作 |
[11:00] | You turned this over to the Republicans | 你却把这个机会交给共和党 |
[11:02] | who are going to kill me with a thousand paper cuts, | 让他们可以随心所欲炒作泄密事件 |
[11:05] | leak every incriminating detail when it pleases them, | 并置我于死地. |
[11:07] | and I never get back to my issues. The things I win on. | 而我则根本回不到能让我们 取胜的议题上. |
[11:10] | The President wants a fair investigation. | 总统要进行公正的调查. |
[11:12] | He wants politics out of this. | 他不想让政治因素牵涉其中. |
[11:14] | Then call for a special prosecutor! | 那就任命一个特别检察官! |
[11:16] | You’re shutting down your investigation, go all the way. | 你想要终止调查, 完全赞同, |
[11:19] | Take it out of the political arena for good. | 让它永远远离政治. |
[11:21] | And while you’re at it, | 与此同时 |
[11:22] | find me a campaign liaison who’s not out to screw me with my pants on. | 请给我换一个不蠢不笨不会坏我事的竞选联络员. |
[11:25] | A run-amok special prosecutor rifling through every can of trash from the past seven years? | 请一个把过去七年任何芝麻烂事 都翻出来乱查的特别检察官? |
[11:30] | Well, I’m glad we have this chance to chat, the last one was so gratifying. | 哦,很高兴有机会和你聊天, 上次我们聊得真愉快. |
[11:33] | I am begging you, get the politics out of this. | 我现在求求你, 别把政治搅进去. |
[11:36] | You’re the one putting politics in it! | 把政治搅进去的正是你! |
[11:38] | You deal away my education plan, | 你作交易搅黄了我的教育计划, |
[11:39] | you don’t give me a heads-up on the political tsunami of the week; | 对于本周的的这场政治风暴 你没给我任何的警告 |
[11:42] | right now, I am the only thing between Matt Santos and the megaphone | 此时此刻,只是因为我的劝阻 |
[11:46] | through which he is going to trash his own party’s White House. | Matt Santos才没有放言抨击 由他自己的党派把持的白宫. |
[11:53] | Skip the Kentucky leg. We’ll hit it through Cincinnati media. | 跳过肯塔基这一段. 我们将通过辛辛那提的媒体提到它. |
[11:56] | Move this photo above the fold. | 把这张相片移到折线上面. |
[11:57] | And every time we talk about gun control, | 每当我们谈到枪支控制时, |
[11:59] | we have to say we respect the rights of hunters and sportsmen. | 我们都要说我们尊重 狩猎者和运动家的权利. |
[12:02] | Hunters and sportsmen, right up front. | 狩猎者和运动家 就放在最前面. |
[12:04] | The New York Post wants to know if we cancelled the foreign policy lunch | 纽约邮报想知道我们取消外交政策午餐 |
[12:06] | to keep Santos away from the leak story. | 是否为了让Santos回避讨论泄密事件. |
[12:08] | Tell them no, not everything’s a conspiracy. | 告诉他们不是, 不是任何事都是阴谋. |
[12:10] | But you changed the town hall to a reverse town hall because…? | 但你把室内演讲改为 反向室内演讲是因为…? |
[12:13] | Certain things are conspiracies. | 有些事情确是阴谋. |
[12:14] | I need sexier economic policy for the reverse town hall. | 需要给这个反向演讲准备 更有诱惑力的经济政策. |
[12:17] | Sexier? | 更有诱惑力? |
[12:18] | The press wants to write about the security leak; we want them to write about the economy. | 媒体想写泄密事件 而我们想让他们写经济议题. |
[12:21] | Let’s show a little leg. | 我们要露出一点大腿. |
[12:23] | And by leg, you mean…? | 大腿,你是指…? |
[12:24] | Targeted tax credits, preferably indexed to inflation. | 特定减税政策, 与通货彭胀指数系很适合. |
[12:26] | When’s the last time you went on a date? | 你最近一次是什么时候约会的? |
[12:28] | I don’t want to talk about it. | 我不想谈这个. |
[12:30] | The Democratic media consultants are waiting. | 民主党媒体顾问们在等着. |
[12:33] | Okay, I’m running a national campaign here. | OK,我正在这儿搞一个全国竞选. |
[12:37] | By yourself? | 你一个人吗? |
[12:37] | Joey, twelve days ago we thought we were going on unemployment. | Joey, 十二天前我们以为快要失业了. |
[12:40] | We barely got the nomination. | 我们几乎没能获得提名. |
[12:41] | We spent the last four days arguing with the press over Leo’s cholesterol level. | 我们花费了过去四天的时间与媒体争论 Leo的胆固醇水平. |
[12:45] | I delegate plenty. | 我委任了很多人. |
[12:47] | Name one thing you’ve delegated. | 举出那怕一个你委任的人. |
[12:48] | I would never have chosen this paint color. | 我自己决不会选那个颜色的涂料. |
[12:50] | You have to hire some heavyweights. | 你必须雇一些重量级的人物. |
[12:53] | Bruno Gianelli? | |
[12:54] | There’s goes half our budget on Italian loafers and mini-bar tabs. | 我们的一半预算都用在意大利流浪者 和条型码标签上. |
[12:58] | You don’t have a political director, you don’t have a chief speechwriter, | 你没有政治主管, 你没有演讲撰稿主任, |
[13:00] | you don’t even have a Communications director. | 你甚至没有一个公关主管. |
[13:03] | There’s that huge, empty office next to yours. | 你的办公室隔壁是一个巨大的空房间. |
[13:05] | Hi, I’m Bill. They told me to show up after 10:00. | 嗨,我是Bill. 他们说让我10点之后来. |
[13:10] | Absolutely, welcome. You can follow me. | 绝对正确,欢迎. 请跟着我. |
[13:14] | There must be 300 people on staff now. | 现在肯定有300个工作人员了. |
[13:16] | – Surely a few of them are capable… – They’re kids. | -当然他们中一些是有能力… -他们是孩子. |
[13:18] | Not a single one of these non-shavers would challenge my assumptions, | 这些嘴上没毛的人没一个会 挑战我的设想, |
[13:21] | stand up to me in a meeting. | 并在会议中跟我对抗. |
[13:22] | We thought we’d try with a Houston… | 我想我们该试着和休斯顿… |
[13:24] | Just do it the way I asked. Okay? | 就照我说的办.好吗? |
[13:27] | I mean, this isn’t summer camp; we’re not making tie racks out of plywood. | 我是说,这里不是夏令营; 我们不是在作游戏. |
[13:31] | Not everybody has the savvy to play the big game. | 不是每个人都有能力 玩这场比赛. |
[13:34] | This is your desk. Sit with Payroll and Personnel. | 这是你的桌子. 旁边是薪水册和员工名册. |
[13:36] | Diane will give you some business cards. Policy working group starts at 3:00. | Diane 会给你些名片. 政策工作组3:00开始. |
[13:39] | And that’s when I install the new phone lines? | 我是那时候才装电话线吗? |
[13:45] | Front desk, around the corner. | 电话线在前面桌子,墙角处. |
[13:47] | Thanks for the business cards. | 谢谢提供名片. |
[13:48] | You bet. | 肯定会有. |
[13:50] | We’re about to sit down with some of the top media consultants in the party. | 我们马上要和党内的首席媒体顾问们开会 |
[13:54] | If you’re not leaning on your own staff, at least lean on them. | 如果你不依靠你的雇员, 你起码要依靠他们. |
[13:56] | This is a fake meeting. | 这是个骗人的会议. |
[13:57] | These guys just want a piece of the DNC media budget. | 这些家伙只想要自已那份 民主党全国委员会的媒体预算 |
[13:59] | We bring them in, slide them a contract so they won’t snipe at us on Meet the Press. | 我们把他们拉进来,给他们一个合同 好让他们不在媒体上说我们坏话. |
[14:02] | Here’s the list of attendees. | 这是参会人员名单 |
[14:04] | What’s she doing on there? | 她怎么来了? |
[14:05] | You said be sure to invite Louise Thornton. I had to talk her into coming. | 是你说一定要邀请Louise Thornton. 我是费劲说服她来参加的. |
[14:08] | I said “Be sure not to invite her.” | 我说的是”一定不要邀请她” |
[14:13] | Thank you all for coming to this high-level strategy meeting. | 谢谢各位参加这个高级战略会议. |
[14:16] | This is probably the greatest assemblage of Democratic talent | 这可能是迄今最伟大的民主党天才聚会 |
[14:18] | since the last time Jed Bartlet dined alone. | 从上次Jed Bartlet独自进餐起算. |
[14:26] | As you can see from your handouts, we’re positioning Santos very strongly | 你们可以从这些材料上看到, 我们在国内议题,尤其是经济议题上 |
[14:29] | on domestic issues, especially the economy. | 正在为Santos作强有力的定位. |
[14:31] | With a little discipline we can ride out today’s press storm. | 采取一些控制措施,我们就能安全 度过今天的新闻风暴. |
[14:35] | I want your input on our message and strategy. | 我想听听你们的建议. |
[14:38] | Your pals in the White House are creating the storm. | 你在白宫的伙伴们正在 制造这场风暴. |
[14:40] | They’re bungling this leak investigation. My Senate clients are nervous. | 他们正在把这起泄密案搞砸. 我的参议员对此很不安. |
[14:44] | – Mine too. – Very nervous. | -我的也是. -非常不安. |
[14:45] | Obviously the President’s got his legal strategy, while the politics… | 总统显然采取了法律措施,同时政治… |
[14:50] | Why aren’t you repackaging Santos as a moderate? | 你为何不把Santos重新包装为一个 温和派? |
[14:52] | No wonder half the Democrats in Congress don’t want to share a stage with him. | 国会里肯定有一半的民主党议员 不愿和他同台出现. |
[14:56] | You’ve got to repackage him. | 你得给他重新包装. |
[14:57] | Make him a moderate. | 让他变成温和派. |
[14:57] | We think when the voters see his record on deficit reduction and middle class tax cuts… | 我们认为当选民们看到他在削减赤字 和为中产阶级减税议题上的纪录… |
[15:02] | And I don’t see why Santos isn’t sticking it to Vinick; knifing him with strong contrast. | 而且我看不出为何Santos不对Vinick强硬些; 针锋相对地朝他进攻. |
[15:06] | – He should knife him. – With strong contrast. | -应该朝他进攻. -针锋相对地. |
[15:07] | We didn’t have a full convention to define ourselves. | 我们没得到民主党全国大会的全部支持 来证明我们自己。 |
[15:11] | We’re trying to run a positive campaign, | 我们想进行一场正面性的竞选. |
[15:14] | especially while the voters are learning about us now. | 尤其是在选民们刚开始了解我们的时候. |
[15:18] | If you will look at the handout… | 请你们看一下材料… |
[15:20] | You don’t really want our input on message. | 你其实并不想听我们的建议. |
[15:22] | Everyone’s here for a piece of the DNC media budget, so get to the point, please. | 每个人来这儿都是为拿了一分DNC媒体拨款, 所以请直奔主题. |
[15:29] | It goes without saying that you will each be part of the DNC media buys. | 毫无疑问你们每人都会 得到一份DNC媒体拨款 |
[15:33] | You can see on page 2. | 请看第2页. |
[15:35] | We’ve got a strong story for the voters. | 我们的计划对选民已经十分强有力了. |
[15:36] | We’re excited about the media buy. | 我们对媒体拨款很高兴. |
[15:38] | What if I did want your advice on the message? | 如果我真的想听你的建议呢? |
[15:40] | That would be hard to give. | 那我很难提供. |
[15:41] | And why’s that? | 那又为什么? |
[15:42] | Because you don’t have one. | 正因为你没有 |
[15:45] | What she means is that we can test some dynamic new spots. | 她的意思是我们可以试试 一些新的有活力的地方 |
[15:47] | Yeah, we can ramp up the positives. That would really fill in the picture. | 是啊,我们可以活跃一些. 肯定能多上电视 |
[15:50] | I’m not talking about ten-point plans or Leo McGarry’s love of egg whites. | 我所说的不是什么十点计划 也不是什么Leo McGarry喜欢吃蛋白 |
[15:53] | I’m talking about the iconic, the symbolic, | 我说的是一个符号,一个象征. |
[15:55] | something that you can put on a bumper sticker that tells people who Matt Santos is. | 一个可以贴在汽车后保险杠上 让人们知道谁是Matt Santos的东西 |
[15:59] | ‘Cause eight days after the nominating convention, I still don’t have a clue. | 竞选提名大会已经过了八天 而我对他还没有任何印象. |
[16:02] | Where are you going? | 你要去哪儿? |
[16:03] | I don’t want a DNC contract. | 我不想要DNC的合同. |
[16:05] | I just came by to see if this is the Josh Lyman vanity exercise everyone says it is. | 我只是过来看看是不是Josh Lyman在白费劲 每个人都这么说 |
[16:09] | Besides, if I take your money, how can I snipe at you on Meet the Press? | 另外,如果我拿了你的钱, 我还怎么在媒体上说你坏话? |
[16:17] | Obviously she doesn’t speak for all of us. | 她明显不代表我们大家. |
[16:24] | You and I haven’t always been on the same side. | 我们俩不常站在一条战线上. |
[16:27] | You mean those four times I beat your hand-picked primary candidates? | 你是指我四次击败你精心挑选的 初期候选人的事? |
[16:29] | That was three times. | 是三次. |
[16:30] | I was counting the 2-to-1 victory twice, but okay. | 我算的是两次二比一的胜利, 但就算是吧 |
[16:32] | You’re right; I don’t have this iconic, symbolic thing. | 你说的对; 我缺乏这种符号,象征性的东西. |
[16:36] | I’m not a Communications director. My strong suit isn’t… | 我不是公关主管. 我的强项不是… |
[16:38] | Isn’t connecting with the electorate, I know. | 不是与选民沟通,我知道. |
[16:39] | Reducing human complexities to a box of soap flakes, no. | 把复杂的人性简化为 一盒肥皂片,这个我不行. |
[16:42] | All I know about Santos is what the country knows: | 我对Santos的了解代表了这个国家 对他的认识: |
[16:44] | He’s smart and he’s cute. | 他聪明,讨人喜欢. |
[16:46] | That is hardly the stuff of global leadership. | 这可肯定不是全球领导者的素质 |
[16:48] | Well, it’s better than fat and dumb. | 但总比又肥又蠢要强. |
[16:49] | That’s such a good bumper sticker. You don’t need me. | 那可真是个好的保险杠贴画 你并不需要我. |
[16:52] | Yes, I think what you do is superficial, but I know it’s important | 是的,我认为你做的事是表面性的工作, 但我知道这很重要. |
[16:55] | or I wouldn’t be asking you, of all people, for help. | 否则我也不会撇下他们, 单请你帮忙. |
[16:58] | ‘Cause I’m not a cultist like you. | 因为我不象你一样是个信念狂. |
[16:59] | ‘Cause we have different approaches to campaigns. | 因为我们搞竞选的方法不同. |
[17:02] | Right, I win them. | 不错,但我能赢. |
[17:03] | I’m trying to be friends. | 我在试着作你的朋友. |
[17:04] | You saw Vinick on TV this morning. | 你今早在电视上看到Vinick |
[17:05] | Clearly it wasn’t about content, but he was tough and he was authentic. | 很明显他说的内容无关紧要, 但他表现强硬,并且可信. |
[17:09] | He was Neil Young to your Neil Diamond. | 他是Neil Young(摇滚歌星), 而你的(议员)则是 Neil Diamond(流行歌星). |
[17:11] | I like Neil Diamond. | 我喜欢Neil Diamond. |
[17:12] | I’m sure you do. | 我知道你肯定喜欢. |
[17:13] | We can’t have a fight about a security leak. We’ll get killed. | 我们不能在泄密事件上和他们争斗. 我们会输的. |
[17:16] | I’m trying to change the conversation back to the economy. | 我正试着把话题转移到经济上去. |
[17:18] | How about moving the conversation to the fact that | 这样转移话题怎么样 |
[17:19] | while Santos was serving in the Gulf, Vinick was serving himself Chardonnay. | 当Santos在海湾打仗的时候, Vinick正在家里喝夏敦埃葡萄酒. |
[17:23] | That Santos is still serving in the Reserves as a Congressman. | 而且Santos做议员的同时仍在服后备役. |
[17:26] | He’s been in the Senate for, like, 90 years. He was practically born in a committee hearing. | 他做参议员像有90年那么长. 他简直天生就擅长于议会听证. |
[17:29] | If you’re not using the phrase “Beltway Arnie” in every press release… | 如果你在每次新闻发布会上都不提 “Beltway Arnie”(Vinick的名字)这个词… |
[17:31] | We’re not going negative. Not now, not first. | 我们不能采取负面性行动. 现在不行,而且不能首先这么做. |
[17:34] | Oh, really. | 呵,是吗. |
[17:34] | You don’t think you’re running a negative campaign? | 你认为你们的竞选活动没有负面性行动吗? |
[17:36] | Why are you always talking about high-tech jobs? | 为什么你们总谈论高科技岗位? |
[17:39] | Because Vinick uses a manual typewriter and his future is a set of plastic gums. | 因为Vinick用着一台手动打字机 而且他的未来是一堆塑料树脂. |
[17:42] | You’re doing political smear like the rest of us. | 你和其他人一样在搞政治抹黑. |
[17:44] | All I’m saying is do it right. | 我要说的只是我们要正确地做. |
[17:45] | We’re getting lots of press calls on this security leak. | 我接到媒体一大批关于泄密事件的电话. |
[17:47] | – How many press calls? – 113. | -有多少个? -113个. |
[17:49] | We’re not commenting. | 我们不予置评. |
[17:49] | Plus, New York Post still thinks | 另外,纽约邮报仍认为 |
[17:51] | today’s lunch was cancelled because we’re hiding from the leak story. | 我们取消今天的午餐是因为 要逃避泄密事件. |
[17:53] | It’s not connected… | 这是毫不相关的… |
[17:54] | tell them we cancel lunches all the time. We’re fast and nimble and move like the night, okay? | 告诉他们我们一直都取消午餐. 我们动作迅捷,象黑夜一样行动. |
[17:59] | Hey, don’t mind me. | 嘿,别理我了 |
[18:00] | You and Elmer Fudd Jr. just keep changing the conversation. | 你和Elmer Fudd Jr. 尽管继续改变话题. |
[18:03] | Hang on. | 等一等. |
[18:08] | Manifest Lou for the Florida-California trip. | 把Lou加入前往佛罗里达和加州的旅行人员名单. |
[18:10] | Ten minutes ago you didn’t even want her… | 十分钟前你还不想让她… |
[18:12] | Some of her ideas are a little nutty, she doesn’t always play well with others, | 她有些想法有点疯狂, 有时和其他人处不好. |
[18:15] | but she’s got an IQ of 200, she knows this image stuff backwards and sideways, | 但她智商200分 精通形象策划 |
[18:19] | and it’s better than having her on the outside lobbing mortars on my lap. | 而且这总好过让她在外面 朝我重炮轰击. |
[18:21] | See if she wants the vegetarian option. | 我查看一下她是不是素食者. |
[18:23] | She’ll have the raw meat. | 她可以吃生肉. |
[18:25] | I want you to come to California and Florida with me. | 我想让你和我一起去加州和佛罗里达. |
[18:28] | You can pick up a bag on the way to Dulles. | 你可以在去杜勒斯的路上 拿上个旅行包 |
[18:29] | If the Congressman signs off, | 如果议员先生正式同意的话, |
[18:30] | I’m hiring you as Director of Communications answering directly to me. | 我要雇你作公关主管, 直接向我负责. |
[18:33] | I don’t think so. | 我看不行. |
[18:34] | I’m talking about the future of civilization here. | 我所谈的事关系到我们这个文明社会的前途. |
[18:36] | Yes, I don’t have any desire to play tambourine in your one-man band. | 没错,但我没兴趣在你的个人乐队 里打小手鼓. |
[18:40] | I am asking you to meet with the next President of the United States. | 我在请求你与美利坚合众国 的下一任总统见面. |
[18:53] | State’s about to brief POTUS and VPOTUS on the Norwegian working dinner. | State即将在挪威的工作晚餐上 简介POTUS 和 VPOTUS |
[18:57] | Can you make sure NSC’s in the Oval? State’s trying to do an end run. | 你能确信NSC的人在总统办公室吗? State想最后演练一遍. |
[19:01] | – The President’s ready, Ms. Cregg. – Thank you. | -总统准备好了,Cregg女士. -谢谢 |
[19:04] | Plus, Brock still wants a few minutes. | 另外,Brock仍想和你谈几分钟. |
[19:06] | Tell him no, in Norwegian, if you have to. | 告诉他不行, 如果他一定要,就在挪威晚餐上. |
[19:08] | That would be “nosk.” | 将会是”nosk” |
[19:12] | What is it? | 怎么了? |
[19:14] | Counsel’s office says the first round of Congressional subpoenas are coming | 法律顾问办公室说第一轮议会 传票要到了。 |
[19:18] | and they always start with junior staff. | 并且他们总是从低级职员开始。 |
[19:20] | Okay. | |
[19:21] | Obviously, the focus is on the Chief of Staff’s office, on our office. | 很明显焦点是幕僚长办公室, 我们的办公室. |
[19:28] | If there’s anything you want me to… | 如果你想让我做什么… |
[19:30] | I want you to tell the truth. | 我要你实话实说… |
[19:36] | Josh, do you have a comment about this Bartlet situation? | Josh,你对Bartlet的情况有何评论? |
[19:39] | I’ve got brand new policy, also known as hard news. | 我有全新的政策计划要宣布, 也称重要新闻. |
[19:42] | Don’t all thank me at once. | 不要马上感谢我. |
[19:43] | The Congressman’s really not taking questions at the town hall? | 在市政厅议员先生真的不回答问题吗? |
[19:45] | He’s proposing a major new tax credit for research and experimentation. | 他提出一个针对研究和实验的 重大的减税政策 |
[19:49] | It rewards innovation in the economy. | 这将有利于经济领域的改革创新. |
[19:51] | When are you making him available for questions? | 什么时候你才会让他回答问题? |
[19:53] | After you write about the tax credit. | 在你们写完减税政策的新闻之后. |
[19:54] | Congressional Republicans are saying | 国会的共和党议员说 |
[19:56] | Democrats can’t be trusted with our national security. | 在国家安全问题方面 民主党不值得信任. |
[19:58] | Santos has to be furious at the President for dumping this on his head. | Santos肯定恼火总统把这件事 扔在他头上 |
[20:01] | How does Leo McGarry feel? | Leo McGarry是怎么想的? |
[20:02] | He’s upset we’re not doing more to reward innovation in the economy. | 他很不高兴因为我们没有在改革创新 经济方面付出更多努力. |
[20:05] | Do you have a comment on the New York Post? | 你对纽约邮报有何评论? |
[20:07] | I’m against it. That’s off the record. | 我反对它. 这句话不记录在案. |
[20:09] | There’s a story on their website that says | 网站上有一则消息称 |
[20:11] | Santos has cancelled four lunch events in the last two weeks. | Santos在过去两周内取消 了四次午餐记者会 |
[20:14] | Lunch events? | 午餐记者会? |
[20:15] | Yeah, why always lunch events? | 是的,为什么总是午餐记者会? |
[20:16] | Let me get this… | 让我解释… |
[20:18] | they’ve got a story that we’re canceling lunch events? | 有消息说我们取消了午餐记者会? |
[20:21] | Four in two weeks; they’re calling it “Santos’ Siesta.” | 两周四次; 他们称之为”Santos的午睡.” |
[20:24] | First of all, that’s ridiculous. | 首先,这很荒谬. |
[20:25] | Second of all, it’s a cheap stereotype. | 其次,这是陈词滥调. |
[20:26] | Well, why is it always lunches, Josh? | 那么,为什么总是午餐,Josh? |
[20:28] | You can’t seriously be interested in this. | 你不会真的对此感兴趣的. |
[20:30] | As opposed to the same economic message two days in a row? | 因为这与连续两天相同 的经济话题对立吗? |
[20:34] | Okay, well, we’ll see you after the event. | OK,记者会后见. |
[20:35] | You heard about the siesta story. | 你听过那个午睡的故事. |
[20:36] | When I said tell the Post we cancel lunches all the time, the point wasn’t to emphasize… | 当我说告诉纽约邮报我们总是取消午餐, 我的重点不是强调… |
[20:40] | That we cancel lunches all the time? | 我们总是取消午餐? |
[20:41] | – Right. – Kind of a fine-line situation. | -是的. -有点像走钢丝. |
[20:43] | Not really. | 不是. |
[20:43] | So how are we going to deal with this? | 那我们怎么处理此事? |
[20:44] | We hold lunch events every day this week. | 这星期我们每天都举行午餐记者会. |
[20:46] | I don’t care if we’re stuffed to the gills, | 我不管我们吃得多饱, |
[20:47] | we put out a sandwich tray and we call it a lunch event. | 我们都要拿一个三明治盘子, 我们管这个叫午餐记者会 |
[20:50] | Doesn’t this fall under your famous box number three? | 这难道不属你那个著名的 第三号盒子吗? |
[20:52] | I use a message grid; so sue me. | 我使用讯息盒子; 去告我吧. |
[20:54] | That is what happens when you fight scandal with spreadsheet. | 等到你用电子表格对抗丑闻时我会的. |
[20:57] | I’m running a Presidential campaign. We talk policy. | 我在进行一场总统竞选. 我们只讨论政策. |
[20:59] | You’ve got a better idea? I’ll take it. | 有更好的建议吗? 我会接受的. |
[21:01] | Yeah, Vinick’s slugging you in the gut; how about slugging back? | Vinick朝你的腹部重击一拳; 我们照样反击怎么样? |
[21:03] | This lunch thing was our goof. | 这起午餐事件是由于我们的失误. |
[21:05] | You don’t think someone’s got the tabloids out looking for them? | 你不觉得是有人让一些小报 在追踪这件事吗? |
[21:07] | We can ride it out. | 我们能过这一关的. |
[21:08] | We don’t give them anything else by the end of the day, | 我们今天不给他们提供 任何别的东西. |
[21:10] | they’ll be filing stories about the tax credit. | 他们会报道减税政策的. |
[21:12] | – Josh. – I’m not commenting on the leak story. | -我对泄密事件不予置评. |
[21:14] | This isn’t about the leak story. | 这不是泄密事件. |
[21:15] | Oh, don’t tell me there’s another… | 噢,别说又是… |
[21:17] | No, this one, you’re going to like. | 不是,这个东西,你会喜欢的. |
[21:20] | So, is this covered under Josh’s press memo? | 那么,Josh’的媒体备忘录中包括这一项吗? |
[21:22] | No, it’s in Josh’s scheduling memo. | 不,这一项在Josh的行程计划里. |
[21:24] | It’s a listen-only conference call. | 这是一场无提问的会议. |
[21:26] | We’ll do it right after the reverse town hall. | 在室内演讲结束后立即举行. |
[21:28] | You talk about the R&E tax credit for regional reporters | 你为当地记者介绍R&E 减税计划. |
[21:31] | but you literally can’t hear them speak. They can only listen. | 但严格来说你听不到他们说什么. 他们只能听. |
[21:33] | If it goes well, I can open it up to hand gestures. | 如果进行的顺利, 我可以用手势了. |
[21:35] | Then you’re meeting with Lou Thornton, a media strategist Josh wants to hire. | 然后你要和Lou Thornton会面, Josh想雇请的一个媒体战略专家. |
[21:39] | Oh, she wins a lot of races. | 噢,她赢了许多比赛. |
[21:41] | She probably won’t do it, but she is what we need in the Communications shop ? | 她可能不想做,但她正是我们需要的那一种人. |
[21:44] | aggressive, out-of-the-box. | 富于进攻性,不拘常规. |
[21:45] | Obviously, her ideas will be heavily filtered through me, | 当然,她的想法会由我 进行严格过滤. |
[21:48] | but anything you can do to get her on board. | 但要想办法让她加入我们. |
[21:50] | I’ll grab you when they start your intro. | 当介绍到你时我会抓着你. |
[21:52] | So, let me guess: the press is, uh, gone bananas because I haven’t been commenting on the leak. | 那让我猜猜:因为我没有对泄密事件发表 评论,媒体很不理解. |
[21:57] | I may have a way to close the security gap overnight. | 我或许有个方法让我们一夜之间 缩小在安全议题上的差距. |
[22:01] | Strafing runs over the national press club, huh? | 用机枪扫射全国媒体俱乐部吗? |
[22:04] | Time Magazine has a copy of a letter from the Marine Reserve Command. | 时代杂志有一份海军后备役命令 的信件复印件. |
[22:08] | You’ve been called up for Reserve training in Fort Worth, Texas, | 你被征召到德州福特沃斯参加 海军后备役训练 |
[22:11] | for two days, Tuesday after Labor Day. | 时间是劳动节之后的星期二,共两天. |
[22:15] | How’d the press get this before me? | 媒体怎么会比我先知道? |
[22:17] | You’re a Presidential candidate; | 你是总统候选人; |
[22:18] | from now on, you’re going to be the last one to read a lot of your mail. | 从现在起,你的大部分信件 你都会是最后一个看的. |
[22:20] | Congressman, it’s Christmas in July; “Deck the halls with guns and ammo.” | 议员,这简直是七月里的圣诞节; “用枪炮和装甲装饰房间.” |
[22:24] | This is everything we couldn’t do in the convention. | 这是个可遇不可求的好机会. |
[22:27] | You in fatigues, wind in your hair, trench knife in your teeth. | 想想当你鞍马劳顿,风吹着乱发, 齿间咬着双刃短刀. |
[22:31] | This is an annual required thing, right? | 这是每年的例行要求,对吧? |
[22:33] | Do a physical, some flight hours, some marksmanship. | 做些体能训练,几个小时的飞行训练, 还有一些射击练习. |
[22:36] | With very big guns. Guns are very big. | 用很巨型的枪炮. 很大的枪炮. |
[22:37] | It won’t look like a stunt? | 不会看起来像作秀吗? |
[22:38] | You’re just following orders. | 你只是服从命令而已. |
[22:40] | They’re starting your intro. | 他们开始介绍了. |
[22:43] | Sir, give me your best bottle of champagne. | 先生,把你最好的香槟给我. |
[22:45] | Make it your tenth best. | 就说这是你们最好的十瓶之一. |
[22:47] | Nothing with a screw-off top. | 不要旋转型瓶塞的. |
[22:48] | Hey, remember me? | 嘿,还记得我吗? |
[22:49] | Why don’t you go watch the reverse town hall? | 你怎么不去看室内演讲? |
[22:50] | They’re still doing introductions. | 他们还在做介绍. |
[22:51] | Why don’t you leave so we can talk about stuff you’re not allowed to hear? | 你为什么不走开 好让我们讨论一些你不适宜听的事情. |
[22:55] | We’re about to make a big announcement. | 我们要宣布一件大事情. |
[22:57] | Two days after Labor Day, the Congressman’s doing Reserve duty in Texas. | 劳工节过后两天,议员要到德州 去服后备役. |
[23:02] | He’s just following orders. | 他只是服从命令. |
[23:03] | We announce it without comment. A picture’s worth a thousand bayonets. | 我们宣布后不予评论. 这个画面比一千把剌刀还要厉害. |
[23:06] | That’s fantastic. | 太好了. |
[23:07] | Edie, coordinate a small press pool with the Marine Reserve Command. | Edie,与海军后备役司令部协调 举行一个小型联合记者会 |
[23:10] | Nothing gaudy; make sure his uniform fits like a glove. | 不要炫耀;要保证他的制服绝对合身. |
[23:13] | Ned, work with the Congressional office. | Ned,找议会办公室. |
[23:14] | Get all the documentation. | 把所有的文件找齐. |
[23:15] | Documentation? | 文件? |
[23:16] | We need to lay it out for the press; | 我们要为媒体采访做好准备. |
[23:17] | dates, details, how he’s done this every year like clockwork. | 有关的具体日期,细节情况,以及 他是怎样每年象钟表一样准时服役的. |
[23:21] | Sometime he resets the clock. | 他有时候重新调整钟表. |
[23:24] | When it needs rewinding. | 那是需要上发条的时候. |
[23:26] | He’s postponed it a few times. | 有几次他推迟了服役. |
[23:29] | For critical national security votes in Congress. | 是因为在议会进行事关国家安全的重要投票. |
[23:32] | Usually to campaign for reelection; I think once, because his daughter was sick. | 一般是为竞选连任; 还有一次,我想是因为他的女儿生病. |
[23:46] | We have been getting some press inquiries. | 一直有媒体找我们查询. |
[23:47] | Yeah, I’m sure. | 是的,肯定有. |
[23:48] | A lot of them, actually, on why we ended this internal investigation | 实际上是许多,是关于为什么我们中止了内部调查 |
[23:52] | and how we plan to deal with it now… | 和我们现在计划怎么做… |
[23:53] | Refer them all to the Counsel’s Office. | 把他们全转到法律顾问办公室. |
[23:55] | Which is good, except… | 这样做没错,但是… |
[23:56] | We’re walling this off from the rest of the White House | 我们要用堵墙把这件事与白宫 其他地方隔开 |
[23:57] | so we can do some governing around here. | 这样我们才能做治理国家的工作. |
[23:59] | Counsel’s not taking any press questions. | 法律顾问不回答任何媒体问题. |
[24:01] | Some walls are thicker than others. | 有些地方的墙比较厚. |
[24:02] | Toby, you should see your call sheet. | Toby,你应该看看你的电话记录单. |
[24:04] | And there are three reporters camped outside your office, wondering… | 还有三个记者守在你的办公室外,看… |
[24:06] | Which is why I’m nowhere near my office. | 为此我才绝不靠近我的办公室. |
[24:08] | How’s it playing out there? | 那边情况怎样? |
[24:10] | Aside from Arnold Vinick’s plan to turn the federal government into an episode of Dragnet? | 不包括Vinick要把联邦政府 变成天罗地网的计划吗? |
[24:13] | I know it’s bad politics; at least it’s for the right reason. | 我知道这是政治把戏; 至少他的理由正确. |
[24:16] | Good men with good reasons shouldn’t set precedents for bad men with bad ones. | 好人有好理由不能推出 坏人有坏理由 |
[24:19] | What’s this? | 这是什么? |
[24:20] | Witness lists for the Congressional hearings. What I could get, anyway. | 议会听证的证人名单. 我只能拿到这个了. |
[24:23] | Greg Brock will refuse to testify. | Greg Brock拒绝作证. |
[24:25] | Yeah. | 是的. |
[24:25] | You think Congress holds him in contempt? | 你认为国会会裁定他藐视吗? |
[24:27] | The First Amendment isn’t what it used to be. | 第一修正案已今非昔比. |
[24:29] | I’ve been avoiding him all day. | 我整天都在躲着他. |
[24:30] | As you should. | 你做得对. |
[24:39] | So I moved it around a bit, | 所以我作了一点调整, |
[24:40] | at least I did real Reserve training with the big guns, every year. | 至少我参加了真正的后备役训练, 每年都参加. |
[24:45] | Almost. | 几乎每年. |
[24:47] | It’ll look like a stunt, won’t it? | 看起来会象在作秀,是吧? |
[24:49] | 14 weeks before the election, trailing on security, | 现在离大选还有14个星期, 我们在安全议题上仍然落后, |
[24:53] | you skipped it for politics and Flintstones chewables, | 同时你曾为了搞政治和维生素含片当过逃兵, |
[24:56] | we announce you’re putting on a uniform first day of fall campaigning: | 而我们宣布你要在秋季竞选第一天穿上军服: |
[25:01] | it’ll look like Ringling Brothers’ Barnum and Bailey Circus. | 这看起就象林林兄弟的 巴拿和贝利马戏团 |
[25:13] | You’ve got five minutes before a clutch with the City Council Chair | 五分钟后你要与市政委员会主席握手 |
[25:15] | – before we take off for Fort Lauderdale. – Okay. | -然后我们要起飞前往洛德戴尔城堡 |
[25:18] | Is it Lou or Louise? | 是 Lou还是Louise? |
[25:20] | Well, Lou started in college when I signed up for men’s intramural softball. | 呃,我从参加大学校内男子垒球赛 时开始叫Lou的 |
[25:24] | They were a player short; turns out, I was the best hitter on the team. | 他们缺少队员; 最后我成了队里最好的击球手. |
[25:26] | So, Lou? | 那么,叫你Lou? |
[25:27] | Louise is fine. | 叫Louise吧. |
[25:29] | What did you think of the reverse town hall? | 你觉得刚才的室内演讲如何? |
[25:31] | I didn’t like your joke about being the first one unemployed. | 我不喜欢你开的那个成为第一个失业者的玩笑. |
[25:33] | That’s just a funny line. | 那只是在搞笑. |
[25:34] | Shaving cream and seltzer are funny. Unemployment’s not particularly funny. | 剃须膏和苏打水很好笑. 失业并不好笑. |
[25:38] | I’ve got the Council Chair after this, we could go egg her house. | 待会我要见市政委员会主席, 我们可以向她的房子扔鸡蛋. |
[25:43] | Was there anything that you did like about the town hall? | 那个演讲里有什么你喜欢的吗? |
[25:46] | Oh, sure, but I assume you have plenty of people around to tell you how great you are, | 噢,当然有,但我猜你有一大堆人 会围着你说你讲得有多精彩, |
[25:49] | and if you don’t, you should hire some because they’re wonderful. | 如果你没有这样的人,你应该雇几个, 因为他们妙极了. |
[25:51] | Yeah. | 对. |
[25:53] | No, we pay a premium for that. | 不,我们付佣金给他们. |
[25:55] | Say, are you familiar with the Mommy Problem? | 你知道那个母亲问题吗? |
[25:57] | I am. | 知道. |
[25:58] | Do you think I have one? | 你认为我有这个问题吗? |
[25:59] | That’s something you’re going to have to answer for yourself, | 这个问题需要你自己回答. |
[26:00] | because right now, Beltway Arnie is kicking you all around the electoral math, | 因为目前Beltway Arnie 在选举数字上搞得你很惨 |
[26:03] | the White House is treating you like a fly on their governmental windshield. | 白宫像对待政府挡风玻璃上 的苍蝇一样对待你 |
[26:06] | And I wonder if it’s just Josh, or do you have what it takes to come out | 而我不知道你是否只有Josh, 或者你自己具有 |
[26:09] | of the Candidate Protection Program and start kicking back. | 走出候选人保护计划并进行反击的能力. |
[26:12] | Councilwoman Stone, the next President of the United States. | 市议员Stone女士, 美国下任总统. |
[26:15] | Hello, pleasure to meet you. | Hello,很高兴见到你. |
[26:16] | Hi, hello. How are you? | 嗨,你好. |
[26:18] | Oh, we’re going to take a little picture here. | 我们要在这儿照张像. |
[26:19] | Okay. | |
[26:36] | Hey, we’ve got to write up some options for the press… | 嘿,我们要为媒体写几个选项… |
[26:39] | Mr. Lyman, over here. | Lyman先生,请来这边. |
[26:44] | Ned says he’s postponed his Reserve drilling about a third of the time. | Ned说他延期过1/3的后备役训练时间. |
[26:46] | 41%. | 是41%. |
[26:47] | And whoever gave that letter to Time has to know that. | 向时代杂志提供那封信的人知道这个. |
[26:50] | – He stayed in the reserves all these years? – Yes. | -他这些年一直在服后备役吗? -是的. |
[26:51] | So our problem is Santos served too much whereas Vinick never even served. | 所以我们的问题是Santos服役太多 而Vinick从未服过役. |
[26:55] | Well, you’re going to be good at this; I can tell. | 噢,你会擅长于此的; 我看得出来. |
[26:57] | What was option one again? | 再问一遍,第一个选项是什么? |
[26:58] | Reporting for Reserve duty right after Labor Day looking like a gun-toting, flag-waving phony. | 劳工节后立即报到服预备役, 像个背着枪,挥着旗子的冒牌货. |
[27:03] | That would be a no, wouldn’t it? | 那么第一选项否决,对吗? |
[27:04] | No on option one. | 第一选项否决. |
[27:05] | Soda shop’s closed. | 苏打商店关门了. |
[27:11] | May I ask what you’re… | 请问你要… |
[27:12] | It’s a law school study trick. I’m not getting up until we figure this out. | 这是个法学院的学习方法 找不到好主意我就不起来. |
[27:16] | Option two: postponement; | 选项二:延期; |
[27:18] | highlights previous postponement if the even grant him one this time. | 如果他们真的同意这次延期的话 就会突出上次延期的事 |
[27:23] | – Congressman. – Hi. Stay seated. | -议员先生. -Hi, 请坐着. |
[27:25] | I’ve got the high-tech CEOs waiting for me across the hall. | 高科技企业总裁们正在房间对面等我. |
[27:28] | I just wanted you to know that I got Lou to come on board as Director of Communications. | 我只是告诉你我已说服Lou 加入我们作公关主管. |
[27:31] | That’s terrific. | 太好了. |
[27:33] | You were right. | 你说的对. |
[27:33] | She’s exactly what we need: a whole different take on the campaign. | 她正是我们需要的人: 是我们在这场竞选中一个全新的尝试. |
[27:36] | I didn’t think she’d do it. | 我没想到她会同意. |
[27:37] | Yeah, there’s just one small condition. | 是的,只有一个小条件. |
[27:39] | What’s that? | 什么条件? |
[27:40] | Reporting directly to me. | 直接向我负责. |
[27:45] | If you’ve got a minute, we’ve got a problem with the Associated Press. | 你有没有时间,我们和美联社之间出了问题. |
[27:47] | I don’t have a minute. | 我没时间. |
[27:47] | Edie, will you tell him why I don’t have a minute. | Edie, 请告诉他我为什么没时间. |
[27:49] | Yeah, he doesn’t have a minute. | 是啊,他确实没时间. |
[27:50] | I’m trying to solve a problem that is 50 times bigger than some sombrero-wearing nonsense. | 我正在设法解决一个问题, 一个比戴着大沿帽的废话大50倍的问题. |
[27:54] | I’ll handle it later. | 我稍后处理此事. |
[27:55] | You’ll want to handle it now. | 这件事你肯定原意现在处理. |
[27:57] | What? | 什么事? |
[27:57] | The AP’s got some sort of photograph. | 美联社搞到了一些照片. |
[27:59] | Something that took place in our hotel in Cleveland last week. | 是上星期在克利夫兰发生在我们 旅馆的事情. |
[28:01] | Photograph? | 照片? |
[28:02] | Of the Congressman’s bed. | 是议员先生的床的照片. |
[28:06] | I need a moment. | 我想和你说句话. |
[28:08] | Can you seal the elevator? | 可否请你守住这个电梯? |
[28:11] | Is this about Time Magazine? | 是关于时代杂志吗? |
[28:13] | I’m working on that. | 我正在处理那件事. |
[28:27] | Hi. | |
[28:27] | Maybe Lou’s right: | 或许Lou是对的: |
[28:29] | maybe there is a coordinated effort to throw us off our game. | 可能有人合起伙来要赶我们出局 |
[28:31] | Maybe it’s Vinick, maybe it’s the RNC. | 也许是Vinick, 也许是共和党全国委员会. |
[28:34] | Wait, what are you talking about? | 等等,你在说什么? |
[28:35] | AP has a photograph of something that happened in Cleveland in your hotel bed. | 美联社有一张在克利夫兰旅馆 发生在你床上的事的照片 |
[28:43] | Is there anything you’d like to tell me? | 你有什么想告诉我的? |
[28:49] | His name is Bruce. | 他名字叫Bruce. |
[28:51] | He’s a flight attendant on Aer Lingus. | 他是林格斯航空公司的乘务员. |
[28:53] | They’ve got a connecting hub out of Hamburg. | 他们在汉堡市外有一个联乘中心. |
[28:59] | You know, at first it was long walks along the Reeperbahn… | 你知道,开始时是沿着里皮巴斯河长时间的散步… |
[29:03] | I’m sorry. But I have to ask. | 对不起. 但我必须得问. |
[29:06] | Geez. | 天哪. |
[29:07] | It’s my job. I’m sorry. | 这是我的工作. 对不起. |
[29:08] | Wait a minute. | 等一下. |
[29:12] | Cleveland? | 克利夫兰? |
[29:13] | I don’t understand what happened. | 我不明白发生了什么事. |
[29:14] | He wouldn’t let me in his room that morning. I should have suspected something. | 那天早上他不让我们进他的房间. 我本应怀疑到一些事情. |
[29:16] | Box No.3. Fifteen years I’ve been doing this, I’ve never been stuck in box No.3. | 第三号盒子.我干这行有十五年了, 从来没第三号盒子难住过. |
[29:19] | Is anyone going to tell me what happened? | 谁能告诉我究竟发生了什么事? |
[29:21] | He demolished his bed. | 他拆散了他的床. |
[29:22] | Demolished it? | 拆散了床? |
[29:23] | It was his wife’s only night on the road. | 那是他妻子加入旅行的唯一一夜. |
[29:25] | It was old, wooden bed; slats, hand-cranks, what have you. | 那是个旧木床; 木板条,手摇曲柄,你有何建议. |
[29:28] | Hand-cranks? | 手摇曲柄? |
[29:29] | And what have you. | 你有何建议. |
[29:30] | Look, as much as I respect good craftsmanship, I’m still not clear about what happened. | 听着,我敬重这些好手艺, 可我还是不明白发生了什么事. |
[29:34] | They broke it together, get it. | 他们一起把床搞坏了,明白了吗? |
[29:36] | The wire photo’s out. | 传真照片出来了. |
[29:40] | Oh, my. | 噢我的上帝. |
[29:42] | Hurricane Santos. | 飓风Santos. |
[29:44] | You repeat that outside this room and I’ll have you knocking on doors in Alaska, | 你要是敢在外面再提到这个词 我就把你扔到阿拉斯加去四处敲门 |
[29:48] | and not the urban part. | 并且是乡下 |
[29:49] | Give me that. | 把那个给我. |
[29:50] | The guy’s the next leader of the free world. | 这个人是这个自由世界的下任领导人 |
[29:52] | I won’t have us ogling his dirty… you know. | 不许大家盯着他的不健康的….你们知道的. |
[29:56] | The hotel proprietor claims the bed was steel-reinforced. | 旅馆经理声称那张床 是经过钢加固的. |
[30:03] | We have a bigger problem than Helen’s Ohio surprise. | 我们遇到个大麻烦 大过了Helen的俄亥俄州事件. |
[30:09] | He’s been called up by the Marine Reserves for right after Labor Day. | 海军后备役征召他于劳工节后立即服役. |
[30:11] | Two days of marksmanship and flight training. | 两天的射击和飞行训练. |
[30:13] | Well bless his broken headboard. | 上帝保佑他的床头板. |
[30:15] | He’s postponed it 41% of the time. | 他已经延期了41%的服役时间. |
[30:18] | Postponed it? | 延期? |
[30:18] | 41% of the time. | 41%的服役时间. |
[30:20] | As in “I’ll see you when I’m done with my essential government business”? | 理由是”当我完成了政府基本公务后再说”吗? |
[30:22] | As in “See you when it’s politically convenient and no one in my family has a runny nose.” | 理由是”当我在政治活动中有了空 以及我家里没人得病时再说” |
[30:26] | If I’d had a full convention, I would have had the Marines in the parking lot digging foxholes. | 如果我有民主党大会的全部支持 我会让那些海军到停车场挖狐狸洞. |
[30:31] | You won’t lift a finger against Beltway Arnie Vinick | 你连尽举手之劳反击Vinick都不肯 |
[30:33] | who never served and who flipped and flopped his way through 40 years of subcommittee hearings. | 他从没服过役,而且40年里 都在议会听证会里蹦达 |
[30:36] | I am not going negative. Not when people barely know who Santos is. | 我不想做负面的事情. 现在大家还不知道谁是Santos. |
[30:39] | And a vacuum gets filled. | 有人填补了这个真空 |
[30:40] | That’s why he’s the swinging king of siesta. | 因此他成了快乐的午休大王. |
[30:43] | You won’t even let him admit the obvious which is that the President screwed up on the security leak. | 你甚至不让他承认总统在泄密事件 上有明显失误 |
[30:46] | That’s why you’re in this. | 这是你的职责. |
[30:47] | The President is trying to take the politics out of it. | 总统不希望掺进政治因素. |
[30:49] | Then why not call a Special Prosecutor? Why won’t Santos call for it? | 那为什么不任命一个特别检察官? 为什么Santos不这样呼吁? |
[30:52] | You’re my new Communications director; you’re supposed to help me solve this problem. | 你是我的新任公关主管; 你应该帮我解决这个问题. |
[30:55] | You’re the problem; | 你就是问题本身; |
[30:55] | not some box on a grid, not the Marine Reserves. | 不准一个格子里有盒子, 不能参加海军后备役. |
[30:58] | No negative campaigning, | 不准进行负面攻击, |
[31:00] | no outside opinions within five miles of the candidate, | 不准候选人周围五英里内有来自外部的建议. |
[31:02] | no deviation from some Jonestown-like obsession with your pals at the White House. | 不准反对你对你的白宫伙伴们的执迷不悟. |
[31:07] | Okay. | |
[31:07] | When are you going to stop drinking the Kool-Aid? | 什么时候你才不再作信念狂? |
[31:16] | I need Hobson at Treasury. | 找一下财政部的Hobson. |
[31:17] | They’re worried about another currency devaluation in Argentina, | 他们担心阿根廷再次发生货币贬值. |
[31:20] | and while I like a nice prime rib for 35 cents, the OAS ain’t buying. | 我正想用35美分买一块上肋, 办公自动化系统却不能买。 |
[31:23] | – C.J. … – The message for Monday’s bill signing? | -周一法案签署仪式的事怎么样? |
[31:25] | Scheduling and Advance wants to stick with the little flags. | Scheduling和Advance坚持用小旗子. |
[31:27] | Because this is America? | 因为这是美国吗? |
[31:28] | – Yes. But… – But I want an actual message. | -是的.但是… -但是我想要一个真正的讯息. |
[31:30] | They have until tomorrow morning or | 要他们明天早晨准备好, |
[31:31] | I’m going to read them the riot act to the tune of “Battle Hymn of the Republic.” | 否则我将视为唱着”共和国战歌”造反. |
[31:34] | Greg Brock is in your office. | Greg Brock在你的办公室里. |
[31:35] | Why is Greg Brock in my office? | 他怎么会在我办公室里? |
[31:37] | He walked in, he wouldn’t leave. | 他走进去,不愿离开. |
[31:39] | I didn’t think you’d want me to call the Secret Service. | 我想你不想让我叫特工来. |
[31:40] | Think again. | 再次感谢. |
[31:44] | We’re both professionals. | 我们都是专业人士. |
[31:45] | We’re both under investigation by professionals. | 我们同时受到专业人士的调查. |
[31:47] | It’s bad enough that you’re plastered all over my call sheet | 你打来的电话填满了我的电话记录单 这已经够糟了. |
[31:49] | and Congress has every scrap of paper aside from my half-finished crossword puzzles. | 除了还没完成的填字游戏, 国会拿走了我的每一片纸. |
[31:52] | Would you please leave this office before I call in an armored division? | 能否请你离开我的办公室, 要不我要叫一个装甲师来? |
[31:55] | I have a question about daycare. | 我想问一下日托的事. |
[31:56] | Toby covered that in last week’s briefing. We’re deadlocked at 300 million. | Toby 在上周的简介会上说过. 我们在3亿的数字上陷入僵局. |
[32:00] | CBC’s pushing for more after-school care. I don’t think we’ll get that out of committee. | CBC 正在积极推动要求更多的校外照顾. 我认为委员会不会同意. |
[32:03] | That’s great, but Della’s four and a half. | 很好,但Della只有四岁半. |
[32:05] | Now she can live with her mom while I’m in prison, | 在我进监狱期间,她可以和母亲一起生活. |
[32:08] | but her mom travels for her job. | 但她的母亲必须上班. |
[32:10] | So why isn’t there some federal voucher that you get your kids to come with you | 所以为什么联邦政府没有一些优惠 能够让你把孩们子带在身边 |
[32:13] | and get them into daycare wherever you go? | 并且无论到那儿都可以把孩子交给日托? |
[32:16] | Prison? | 监狱? |
[32:18] | I wouldn’t talk to the Grand Jury. | 我不愿向大陪审团作证. |
[32:19] | The judge held me in contempt. | 法官裁定犯我藐视国会罪. |
[32:21] | I report to Cumberland Minimum Security Prison tomorrow. | 明天我要向康伯兰监狱报到. |
[32:24] | It should be on Fox by now. | 现在福克斯台应该在播了. |
[32:25] | You can appeal. | 你可以上诉. |
[32:26] | He refused to stay the contempt; at least 18 months. | 他拒绝中止执行藐视罪刑; 至少要服刑18个月. |
[32:29] | I have to appeal from behind bars. | 我只能在监狱里提起上诉. |
[32:32] | You don’t have to worry about your call sheet for a while. | 你会有一段时间 不必担心电话记录单了. |
[32:37] | Just name your source. | 只要指出消息来源就行了. |
[32:42] | I always liked you in that suit. | 我一直喜欢你穿这身衣服. |
[32:55] | He’s already late for the State Party reception downstairs. | 楼下的州民主党欢迎仪式他已经迟到了. |
[32:59] | No. … | 不. … |
[33:01] | No, Helen, I don’t. … | 没有,Helen,我没有. … |
[33:04] | No, I mean short of us crawling under there with a screwdriver and a roll of duct tape, | 不,除非我们拿把镙丝刀和胶带钻到它下面, |
[33:10] | I don’t see how we could… | 我不明白怎么能… |
[33:14] | Oh, yeah, ’cause I personally love the fact that it’s in all the newspapers, and I… | 噢,是啊,”因为我自己很喜欢这件事 上了所有的报纸,而且我…” |
[33:18] | Honey, bring a sledgehammer with you when we meet in Michigan and we can… | 亲爱的,我们在密歇根见面时带把锤子, 这样我们就能… |
[33:23] | I got to go. | 我得走了. |
[33:27] | How many papers is this going to be in? | 这事会上多少家报纸? |
[33:28] | It’s all over the blogs and cable shows. | 博客和有线电视上到处都是. |
[33:30] | Now the first tier press gets to cover the coverage. | 现在第一阶媒体开始报道了. |
[33:33] | This is my fault. | 这是我的错. |
[33:34] | I should have pushed out more policy. | 我应该推出更多政策方面的新闻. |
[33:36] | I knew it’d be hard to hit back against this phony, superficial crap. | 我知道很难去反驳这些虚妄肤浅的东西. |
[33:40] | I don’t think it’s phony or superficial. | 我认为这些消息既不虚假也不肤浅. |
[33:42] | These stories only stick when they confirm what people already think. | 只有当这些故事证实了人们的想法时 它们才会持续流传. |
[33:44] | And let’s face it, nobody knows what to think. | 让我们面对它吧,没人知道该怎么想. |
[33:47] | So, we deserve it? | 那么我们就自作自受? |
[33:48] | You haven’t given anybody an alternative formulation on who he is, | 你没有给大家机会去清楚地认识他的人品. |
[33:51] | so he’s taking body blow after body blow. | 所以他屡遭打击. |
[33:53] | I’m trying to position him as the guy with the jobs… | 我正在把他定位为一个能提供工作岗位的人…. |
[33:55] | How about positioning him as the guy with the spine? | 为何不把他定位成一个有骨气的人? |
[33:56] | You want to hit back against Vinick? Get sucked back into the leak story? | 你想要反击Vinick吗? 让他把我们骗进那个泄密事件的圈套? |
[34:00] | I want him to beat back at the White House and get distance from them. | 我想让他朝白宫开火,跟他们拉开距离. |
[34:02] | The President’s approval is at 66%. The leak has barely made a dent. | 总统的支持率是66%. 泄密事件几乎没造成影响. |
[34:06] | That’s why he seems like his little infant cousin. | 因此他才看起来象是他的没长大的小表弟. |
[34:08] | I’m sure you’ve never even presented him with that argument. | 我知道你们从未向他提过这个论点. |
[34:11] | Okay. | |
[34:12] | You want me to have a spine, you want me to be nice to my cousin. | 你想让我有骨气, 你想让我对我的表哥好. |
[34:15] | Let’s talk about my Reserve drill. | 我们来谈谈我的后备役训练. |
[34:17] | You have to resign your commission, Congressman. | 你必须辞去在委员会的任职,议员先生. |
[34:19] | Sir, she’s right. | 先生,她说的对. |
[34:21] | You can’t show up after Labor Day when you’ve postponed your service five times in 13 years. | 在13年里你已经五次延期服役, 劳工节后你不能再在外面出现了. |
[34:25] | It’ll look like the mother of all staged photo-ops and we’ll get killed in the press. | 那样会成为所有剧照的母本, 我们在媒体上会被毁掉. |
[34:27] | ‘Cause I moved it around a few times? | 就因为我把服役时间调整了几次? |
[34:29] | ‘Cause you’re a Democrat who wears a uniform when it fits his schedule. | 是因为你是一个只按照自己 的时间表穿军服的民主党人. |
[34:32] | Oh, and never mind my 25 years of military service compared to Vinick’s none. | 哦,不考虑一下我有25年的军龄 而Vinick从未服过役. |
[34:36] | Never mind one of the most pro-military voting records in the Democratic Caucus. | 也不考虑我在民主党高层会议上 最倾向军方的投票记录. |
[34:40] | Why’d you even leave active duty? | 你为什么要离开现役? |
[34:42] | You went to Annapolis for free. | 你那时能免费去安纳波利斯(马里兰州首府). |
[34:43] | The taxpayers were supporting your military career. | 纳税人支持你的军队经历. |
[34:45] | Your trench mates don’t have a story to tell? | 你那些一个战壕的伙伴们没什么故事要讲吗? |
[34:48] | And by resigning, I’m saying what? | 辞职的原因,我怎么说? |
[34:50] | That you are ready to be President of the United States. | 就说你准备去做美利坚合国的总统. |
[34:52] | That we have a civilian-led military and you are threw playing G.I. Joe. | 就说我们有着文官统帅的军队 而扮演G.I. Joe的角色会让你不知所措. |
[34:56] | He really has to get to the State Party reception. | 他真得去参加欢迎会了. |
[34:58] | Time Magazine has called twice; we’re going to have to tell them something. | 时代杂志已打过两次电话了; 我们必须告诉他们些东西. |
[35:00] | Tell them that if the country doesn’t like my military records, | 告诉他们如果这个国家 不喜欢我的军队履历, |
[35:03] | I’ll be the first one unemployed. | 我就是第一个失业的人. |
[35:15] | Tough press day. | 艰苦的一天. |
[35:16] | “Vinick’s comments called into question | “Vinick的评论使得 |
[35:18] | the Santos campaign’s unflinching support of the Bartlet White House, | Santos对巴特勒的白宫的坚定支持成了问题, |
[35:21] | as Congressman Santos parried tabloid charges, and strained to articulate an economic message.” | 而同时Santos议员躲过了小报的攻击, 并竭力表达清楚一个经济方面的议题.” |
[35:26] | Strained to articulate; it’s like he was drooling into a cup. | 竭力表达清楚; 听起来象是他在举着杯子胡说八道. |
[35:29] | So Vinick won the day. | 今天Vinick赢了. |
[35:31] | Yeah, by walking five feet from his office | 是啊,他只从自己的办公室走出五尺远. |
[35:34] | while the Latin Luther Van Dross napped his way across the continent. | 而这位Latin Luther Van Dross先生 却在穿越全国的飞行中打瞌睡. |
[35:37] | – So now can we revisit the Bartlet question? – Oh, hi. | -现在我们能否再谈一下巴特勒问题? -噢,嗨. |
[35:40] | Let me introduce myself: I’m the problem. | 让我自我介绍: 我的名字叫问题. |
[35:43] | I interpret the facts; I read the data; | 我说明事实; 我看数据; |
[35:45] | which is why you need me, and also why you resent me. | 这是你需要我的原因, 也是你生我气的原因. |
[35:47] | I am not a Bartlet-ista and I’m not a Santos-ista. | 我不是Bartlet的崇拜者 也不是Santos的崇拜者. |
[35:50] | I am completely untethered to your cult of personality. | 我完全不受你的个人崇拜精神的束缚. |
[35:53] | Also known as ethics. | 也称为道德规范. |
[35:54] | What is unethical about say Jed Bartlet is a great President; | 我说Jed Bartlet是一个伟大的总统; |
[35:57] | make way on Mount Rushmore. | 他正在朝着拉施摩尔山(总统山)前进. |
[35:59] | But in this one instance, in this lapse in security, he goofed. | 但在这一次,在这起安全问题上 他搞砸了.这样说有何不道德? |
[36:03] | Someone in your White House goofed. | 你们的白宫里有个人搞砸了. |
[36:05] | Look, I read that data, too. | 听着,我也看过那个数据. |
[36:06] | No one thinks the White House goofed on this. | 没有人认为白宫把这件事搞砸了. |
[36:08] | It’s a press obsession; | 是媒体执迷不悟. |
[36:09] | a Vinick trick to get us on to issues we can’t win on. | 这是Vinick引我们谈论导致我们 失败的议题的圈套. |
[36:13] | Do you think Vinick participated in last night’s tracking poll? | 你认为Vinick参与了昨晚的跟踪民调? |
[36:20] | It took us a couple hours to place Helen on the Cleveland trip. | 我们费了几个小时才让 Helen参加克利夫兰之旅. |
[36:23] | Remember, she came out as a surprise for… you. | 记得吗,她的出现给你了一个惊喜. |
[36:26] | Anyway, that’s why some of the stories imply that… | 不管怎样,一些故事因此暗示… |
[36:30] | What is this? | 这是什么? |
[36:31] | Polling question from last night’s track. | 昨晚跟踪民调所问的问题. |
[36:33] | “Was the President right to end his own investigation of the classified security leak? | “总统终止其对泄密事件的调查的做法正确吗? |
[36:37] | Yes, 27; No, 54; Don’t know, 19.” | 是,27;否,54;不知道,19.” |
[36:42] | Are you suggesting I should criticize the President? | 你在建议我应该批评总统吗? |
[36:45] | I would never suggest that. | 我决不会这样建议. |
[36:46] | But you asked me to run this campaign. | 但你要我负责这场竞选. |
[36:49] | I don’t want you thinking I’m holding back the data. | 我不想让你觉得我藏起了这个数据. |
[36:58] | Hi. | 嗨. |
[37:00] | I know you guys have got a job to do whether I like it or not, | 我知道无论我喜欢与否 你们都要做自己的工作. |
[37:03] | so I’m not going to pretend that | 所以,我不会假装认为 |
[37:04] | the afternoon naps and the bedside shrapnel don’t make for good news copy. | 午睡和床边的弹片不能成为好的新闻. |
[37:10] | So, I’m going to address this once, just this once, and that’ll be the end of it, okay: | 所以,我将就以下的事实说明一次,只此一次, 然后到此为止,okay: |
[37:18] | No way was that bed steel-reinforced. | 那张床根本没经过钢加固. |
[37:20] | Still no comment about the President stopping his investigation? | 您对总统终止调查的事仍没有评论吗? |
[37:28] | You know, if that were my White House I’d call in the FBI. | 如果那是我的白宫 我会让FBI调查. |
[37:31] | I would do everything in my power to cooperate with both Congress and the Grand Jury. | 我会尽我的权力与国会和大陪审团合作. |
[37:38] | I’d play it by the law, not by politics. | 我会依法行事,而不是玩弄政治. |
[37:41] | And, in case you haven’t noticed, that’s exactly what this President is doing. | 另外,如果你没注意到,我提醒你 这正是现任总统的做法 |
[37:56] | Certainly no one expected today’s decision, | 当然没人希望出现今天的裁定, |
[37:58] | which means that Greg Brock must report to jail immediately. | 这意味着Greg Brock 必须立即向监狱报到. |
[38:02] | That’s right: he reports to Cumberland Minimum Security Prison in Maryland immediately. | 没错:他要立即向位于马利兰州的 考伯兰最低防护监狱报到. |
[38:07] | Without any appeal, without any time to take his case to a higher level… | 没有任何上诉,没有时间将此案 呈送更高级的…. |
[38:11] | Did you see? | 你看到了吗? |
[38:13] | Yeah. | 是的. |
[38:16] | I need Scheduling and Advance. | 我想见Scheduling和 Advance. |
[38:18] | Scheduling and Advance? Why? | Scheduling和 Advance 为什么? |
[38:19] | The Fisheries bill signing. | 渔业法案签署的事. |
[38:21] | They think our message should be a row of American flags. | 他们认为我们要传递的讯息应是 一排美国国旗. |
[38:23] | That was my idea. | 那是我的主意. |
[38:24] | A row of flags? | 一排旗子? |
[38:25] | ‘Cause he’s the American president, and he’s signing a bill into law, | 因为他是美国总统, 而他的签署使一个法案成为法律. |
[38:27] | and as long as we’re being investigated by two branches of our own government | 只要我们还处于我们自己政府 两个分支的调查中 |
[38:31] | I don’t see why we should be any more clever than that. | 我们就不应该显得过于聪明. |
[38:44] | I’ve been thinking about the reason I beat you in those three primaries. | 我一直在想自己在那三次预选 中击败你的原因. |
[38:47] | It’s because you wouldn’t pound your candidates like I did. | 因为你不愿像我一样打击你的候选人. |
[38:50] | This is too important to make it personal. | 这项工作太过重要,容不得你掺入个人感情. |
[38:53] | It’s different when you build a candidate from nothing, | 当你从零开始培养出一个候选人, 情况会不同 |
[38:56] | when you’re the person he looks to for more than just shock therapy. | 那时他所指望就是你, 而他要的不仅仅是休克疗法. |
[39:01] | The Congressman wants you. | 议员想见你。 |
[39:04] | Just Josh. | 只是Josh. |
[39:11] | I appreciate what you said about the President today. | 我很感激你谈及总统的话. |
[39:13] | I’ve been thinking about the Reserve drill. | 我一直在想后备役训练的事. |
[39:16] | I think you should do it. | 我想你应该参加训练. |
[39:18] | Get the past postponements out today ahead of the letter. | 在今天赶在那封信之前 把以往延期服役的消息向外公布. |
[39:21] | – If they slam us for it, we’ll deal… – Look out the window. | -如果他们为此抨击我们,我们会处理… -看看窗外. |
[39:25] | That’s the Rocky Mountains. | 这是落基山脉. |
[39:28] | You turned the plane around? | 你让飞机掉头了? |
[39:29] | We’re going to Fort Worth. | 我们将前往沃斯堡. |
[39:31] | The Marine Commandant in Washington was my CO in the Gulf. | 华盛顿的那位海军司令在海湾战争 中曾作过我的长官. |
[39:35] | He said I could get it out of the way right now if I wanted to. | 他说如果我想的话 现在就可以去处理这件事. |
[39:40] | You know, I didn’t have so much as a high school diploma in my gene pool. | 你知道,我的基因库里连高中学历都没有. |
[39:45] | That commission is the reason I’m on this plane. | 我登记上这架飞机就是为了完成这项使命. |
[39:49] | I’m not giving it up. | 我不会放弃. |
[39:50] | Before anyone in the press gets a chance to take a shot at us, | 在媒体有机会朝我们发难之前, |
[39:53] | the whole country sees you in uniform. | 整个国家会看到你身穿军服的样子. |
[39:56] | You’d better cancel our schedule for the next two days. | 你最好取消我们以后两天的行程. |
[39:59] | Sorry about Lou before. | 对刚才Lou的事我很抱歉. |
[40:01] | She’s got a lot to contribute but she should contribute it through me. | 她能提供许多好建议, 但应该通过我提出来. |
[40:04] | Some of her ideas are a little extreme. | 她有些建议比较极端. |
[40:06] | That doesn’t mean I don’t need to hear them. | 但并不说明我不必听听这些建议. |
[40:07] | So you feel like you need her at the table. | 那你觉得需要她作你的顾问. |
[40:09] | I feel you do. | 我觉得你需要. |
[40:10] | Her, and a whole lot of others. | 包括她,还有其他许多人. |
[40:11] | But there has to be somebody in charge, somebody to filter out the knucklehead stuff. | 但总要有人来掌控全局, 要有人把无用的东西过滤掉. |
[40:14] | – In the Bartlet campaign… – Jed Bartlet was in charge. | -在Bartlet的竞选中… -Jed Bartlet掌控全局. |
[40:18] | You were right about the President, Josh. | 你在总统的事上是对的,Josh. |
[40:19] | And Louise was right about leaving a vacuum. | 而Louise在关于出现真空的问题上是对的. |
[40:23] | I need to hear it all. | 我需要兼听所有的意见. |
[40:27] | Yep. | 进来. |
[40:29] | They’re ready for that State briefing in the staff cabin. | 他们已在职员舱准备好国家简报了. |
[40:36] | We’re going to beat him on security issues; | 我们要在安全议题上击败他; |
[40:38] | we’re going to beat him on domestic issues; | 我们要在国内议题上击败他; |
[40:42] | we’re going to beat him on trivia, too. | 而且,我们也要在细小的事情上击败他. |
[41:46] | The Santos campaign refused to comment on the drill, | Santos的竞选团队拒绝就参训一事发表评论. |
[41:49] | saying the candidate was taking care of a personal obligation | 他们称总统候选人在履行个人的义务. |
[41:52] | and would return to his economic themes… | 并且将会回到他的经济议题上… |
[41:55] | Personally I think it’s a charade; a made-for-TV movie. | 我个人认为这是一个姿态; 一个为了上电视节目的表演. |
[41:57] | Why do you think he stayed in the Reserve… | 你认为他为什么保留着预备役…. |
[41:59] | Vinick took a shot at the President. | Vinick批评了总统. |
[42:01] | Maybe he’s sincere about it, but Santos defends Jed Bartlet, | 或许他是真诚的, 但Santos为Jed Bartlet辩护, |
[42:06] | and then says, “Hey, I don’t… | 然后说,”嘿,我不是… |
[42:08] | We jumped four points on security in last night’s poll. | 昨晚的民意测验我们在安全问题上 增加了四个百分点. |
[42:10] | What about the gender gap? | 性别隔阂问题怎么样? |
[42:12] | Might want to use Congressman Cassanova in a TV ad. | 或许想在电视广告上使用Cassanova议员. |
[42:14] | Half the press is calling it a stunt. | 一半的媒体称这是故意作秀. |
[42:16] | Yeah, but all the press is running the footage. | 是的,不过所有的媒体都在报道. |
[42:17] | When he goes on offense, he really goes on offense. | 当他开始进攻时, 这是一场真正的进攻. |
[42:19] | Yeah, welcome to the cult of personality. | 当然,欢迎你加入个人崇拜组织. |
[42:21] | Otto, I need that brochure copy on his military record. | Otto,我需要他的军队履历册. |
[42:24] | Edie, get Helen’s schedule. | Edie, 找到Helen的行程. |
[42:25] | We want her on the road with the Congressman at least three days when he gets back from Texas. | 议员从德州回来后,我们需要她 至少与议员一起旅行三天. |
[42:29] | Ronna, Ned, foreign policy events, best idea gets an extra fortune cookie. | Ronna, Ned,外交政策记者会, 最好的想法会得到额外的好运. |
[42:45] | But they are confidant that on national security and other issues, | 但他们自信地认为,在国家安全和其他议题上 |
[42:48] | their candidate has a commanding advantage. | 他们的候选人具有主要优势. |
[42:53] | Transcribed by Soundman “TWIZ TV.COM”. Feedback to sparticus1611@hotmail.com. | |
[42:54] | Sync : whoopss (whoopss1@nate.com) |