时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:49] | THE WEST WING 7×11 INTERNAL DISPLACEMENT Original air date: 01/15/2006 | 白宫风云 7×11 狸猫换太子 |
[01:01] | Forgive me. | 真抱歉 |
[01:01] | For what? | 抱歉什么? |
[01:02] | We should be drinking. | 本来我们可以好好地喝上几杯的 |
[01:05] | You look incredible. | 你今天光彩照人 |
[01:06] | Stop. | 别那么虚伪 |
[01:06] | Well, you do. | 我说真的 |
[01:07] | That’s unnecessary. | 没这必要 |
[01:08] | You okay? | 你没事吧? |
[01:09] | I’m just great. | 我很好 |
[01:10] | – Have a seat. – Thanks. | – 先坐下吧 – 谢谢 |
[01:13] | So, how’s the President? | 总统情况怎么样? |
[01:16] | Are we off the record? | 你又干回老本行了? |
[01:17] | Please, yes. | 拜托~只是普通的询问 |
[01:20] | He’s doing great. | 他干得很漂亮 |
[01:21] | I wouldn’t want that to get around. | 这种消息没人感兴趣 |
[01:23] | I’m surprised you called. I vaguely remember shunning you. | 你真是三句话不离本行 我好象已经回避过一次了 |
[01:25] | Dignity’s not my forte. | 记者不会在乎这么几句讽刺的 |
[01:30] | So… | 恩… |
[01:34] | they kept the kitchen open. | 他们的厨房还没关门 |
[01:35] | We should order. | 哦,我们点菜吧 |
[01:36] | Hi. | 嗨 |
[01:37] | – Thank you. – Mmm-hm. | – 谢谢 |
[01:38] | – Would you like to hear the specials? – Please. | – 想听听今晚的主厨推荐吗? – 很乐意 |
[01:40] | Well, tonight we’re featuring New Zealand lamb… | 恩,今晚我们主荐新西兰羊羔肉… |
[01:42] | – Is this from a list? – I’m sorry? | – 你是在照单宣读吗? – 您的意思是…? |
[01:44] | The specials, are they written down somewhere? | 你说的主荐菜,它们有写下来吗? |
[01:46] | Um, yeah, they’re right here. | 没错,就在我手里 |
[01:47] | Just give us that. We’ll read. We’re readers. | 把那张单子给我就好了 我们自己会看 |
[01:49] | Whatever you want. | 随您便 |
[01:49] | It’s just easier that way, then you don’t have to, you know, perform. | 这样就省事多了 你也用不着千篇一律地表现了 |
[01:52] | Fine with me. | 我无所谓 |
[01:53] | Thanks. | 还是谢谢你 |
[01:59] | A night out; this is like a week in Aruba. | 一个晚上在外面用餐 和在阿鲁巴岛待上一星期差不多 |
[02:01] | Except it’s cold and dark. | 但不像那儿又冷又阴暗 |
[02:03] | What? | 什么? |
[02:04] | I was making a joke. | 我开玩笑 |
[02:05] | Oh, you don’t have to do that. Relaxing makes me nervous. | 哦,你还是省省吧 安逸的环境让我紧张 |
[02:08] | It makes me feel like I’m missing something. | 我会觉得自己忽略了什么事 |
[02:10] | You want a drink? | 要喝些酒缓缓吗? |
[02:11] | No. | 不用了 |
[02:12] | So, what’s up? | 你到底有什么事? |
[02:13] | What’s up? | 什么? |
[02:14] | Why am I here? | 我干嘛来这儿? |
[02:15] | – You really want me just to…? – Cut to the chase; I do. | – 你就真的只关心…? – 直话直说,我习惯这样子 |
[02:17] | All right, well… | 好吧,恩… |
[02:23] | I’m having a bit of performance anxiety here. | 在这说话我觉得有点别扭 |
[02:26] | Well, get yourself together. I’ll look at the menu here. | 没事,组织一下语言,我点菜不盯着你看 |
[02:29] | I wanted to see you. | 我想见你 |
[02:31] | That’s it? | 就这个? |
[02:34] | How am I supposed to… | 我不知道该怎么… |
[02:36] | I know you’ve always had a thing about reporters. | 我明白你对记者有成见 |
[02:38] | A thing? | 成见? |
[02:39] | When you were Press Secretary, you had a thing. | 作为总统新闻秘书,你的职业让你报有成见 |
[02:41] | I wouldn’t call it a thing. | 那不叫成见 |
[02:42] | No? | 不叫? |
[02:43] | They ticked me off, is all. You want to know why? | 他们总是责怪我,就这些 你想知道为什么吗? |
[02:45] | No, it’s okay. | 不,不用说了 |
[02:46] | They ticked me off because they care more about coming up with a good story | 他们责备我,因为比起事实 |
[02:48] | – than they do about telling the truth. – I see. | – 他们更喜欢玩花样,搞点内幕故事出来 – 我知道 |
[02:50] | So now I have to live in a culture where what’s important doesn’t matter | 所以我不得不学着适应这个世道 不用急着去宣传头条新闻 |
[02:52] | because we’re too preoccupied by people | 大家都过分嗜好欣赏 那些比自己更有魅力的家伙 |
[02:55] | who are more attractive than we are playing musical genitalia in Hollywood. | 在好莱坞玩音乐还尽显生殖器的节目 |
[02:58] | Wow. | 哇~ |
[02:58] | It’s disgusting. | 这简直太恶心了 |
[02:59] | I cover politicians. | 我采访过政治家 |
[03:00] | Most of them are homely, so no one cares. | 他们大都缺乏回头率 所以没什么人注意 |
[03:02] | Well, that’s true. Maybe if they made up for it with guts, we’d write better stories. | 说的很对 要是他们有勇气添点料上去的话 我们的故事就有卖点了 |
[03:05] | Maybe if we had the support of a well-informed constituency… | 也许要是我们 有个消息灵通的选民支持的话… |
[03:07] | As opposed to what, leading? | 要反对什么,领导吗? |
[03:09] | You want to know why politicians tick me off? | 你想知道为什么政治家都不喜欢我吗? |
[03:10] | Can’t wait. | 等不及了 |
[03:11] | They’re attracted to arenas of false heroics. | 他们都喜欢说些装腔作势的豪言壮语 |
[03:13] | I don’t know what that means. | 我听不懂了 |
[03:14] | Well, there are two places where you can see a pumped-up egomaniac slathered | 这么说,只有两个地方 你才能有幸看到一个上气不接下气的自大狂 |
[03:17] | with man tan talking about how great he is and how he’s going to kick his opponent’s ass: | 裹着一身古铜色肌肤 宣扬自己有多么伟大以及自己要如何将对手击垮 |
[03:20] | one is a professional wrestling match, the other is a national political convention. | 一个是职业摔交竞赛 另一个就是国家行政会议 |
[03:24] | You can’t do anything if you don’t get elected. | 选不上的话,你什么也干不了 |
[03:26] | Your boss never has to get elected ever again. | 你们老板不会再当选了 |
[03:29] | But you guys are content to run out the clock with the same game | 而你们却满足于 用一成不变的工作来继续消磨时间 |
[03:31] | of well-intention defense you’ve always played. | 即使这份活总是善意的防御 |
[03:33] | That’s not true. | 你错了 |
[03:34] | You could do more in a day that most people could do in a lifetime. | 你们一天干的比许多人一生做的都要多 |
[03:36] | You think I’m not aware that I’m living the first line of my obituary right now? | 你觉得我没意识到 自己快一只脚踏进坟墓了? |
[03:39] | So don’t get hypnotized by complexity. Make it count. | 别让那些烦心事把自己弄得很恍惚 让他们烦得有点价值 |
[03:47] | What are you working on? | 你在忙什么? |
[03:48] | Right now? | 刚才? |
[03:50] | I’m trying to keep China and Russia from annihilating the Northern Hemisphere over oil in Kazakhstan. | 我试着不让中国和俄罗斯为了哈萨克的石油 把整个北半球给灭了 |
[03:54] | What are you working on? | 你呢,在忙什么? |
[03:56] | A couple of House races. | 议院间的竞争 |
[03:57] | Well, no good comes from that. | 哦,这也不是人们爱挖的消息 |
[03:58] | No. | 当然不是 |
[04:04] | Have you heard anything about Doug Westin? | 有耳闻什么关于Doug Westin的事吗? |
[04:06] | Yeah, it looks like the President’s son-in-law might be | 恩,貌似这个总统的女婿 |
[04:08] | the next Freshman Congressman from New Hampshire. | 会是新一任代表新汉普郡的国会议员 |
[04:10] | He’s only down three points. | 他只跌了3点 |
[04:11] | Yeah, and I guess he doesn’t care about being his own man anymore. | 没错,我想他也不再会介意做回自己了 |
[04:14] | He’s asking the President to fly up and stump for him in Manchester. | 他请求总统去曼彻斯特 为他作政治演说旅行 |
[04:17] | – Really? – Yeah. | – 是吗? – 当然 |
[04:18] | Why? | 怎么这么问? |
[04:20] | He’s getting a lot of heat, a bunch of profiles, rising star crap. | 他最近人气过旺,露面太多 就像个供人起哄的明星 |
[04:24] | And I was surprised because the one time I met him he seemed kind of… | 而且让我惊讶的是一次我遇到他 给我的感觉是他好象有点… |
[04:29] | – Unimpressive? – Yeah. | – 不能令人信服? – 对 |
[04:30] | Are you implying the success in politics isn’t a question of inherent value? | 你是不是在暗示政治上的成功 和内在的自身价值无关? |
[04:33] | No, I would never do that. | 不,我可从不这么说 |
[04:35] | Good. Okay, let’s kind of move on here. | 很好 我们还是回到现实吧 |
[04:38] | Fish is a stupid thing to get in a restaurant. | 餐厅竟然会蠢得把鱼也放进来 |
[04:40] | I think he may be banging the nanny. | 我觉得他有可能和保姆有关系 |
[04:42] | I want a big slab of… what? | 我要一片厚厚的… 什么? |
[04:44] | I think the President’s son-in-law may be banging the nanny. | 我说总统的女婿也许和保姆有关系 |
[04:47] | Is that a euphemism? | 你是想说的委婉点吗? |
[04:49] | No. Well, “banging” is, I guess. | 不是 好吧,”banging(发生关系)”算一个 |
[04:52] | It’s just a rumor. There’s no official corroboration | 这只是谣传 还没有官方确认 |
[04:54] | but it’s flying around pretty heavy up there and it could break any minute. | 但新汉普郡那传的很凶,随时都有可能爆发 |
[05:03] | The President still has a lot of political enemies in New Hampshire. | 总统在新汉普郡还是有很多政敌的 |
[05:07] | They might want to create a circus or… | 他们也许想要制造点混乱或者… |
[05:10] | just hurt him for spite. | 就是做些敌人该干的事来伤害他 |
[05:12] | Gotcha. Great. Thank you. I’m gonna go. | 明白了,非常感谢,我得走了 |
[05:14] | – You’re what? – I’ve got to go. | – 你要什么? – 我必须得走了 |
[05:15] | – Oh, shoot, I ruined the dinner. – Tomorrow’s a big day. | – 哦,天~我毁这顿晚餐 – 明天有大事要发生 |
[05:17] | – You’re hungry. – It just got bigger. | – 你已经很饿了 – 而且越来越大 |
[05:18] | – You’ve got to eat. – Get the steak. Tell me how it was. | – 你得吃点什么 – 尝尝这的牛排,告诉我味道怎样 |
[05:20] | – Can I see you again? – Sure, we’re swell. | – 我能再见到你吗? – 当然,我们可是社会头面人物 |
[05:22] | – When? – As soon as we’re out of office. | – 什么时候? – 我们脱身的时候 |
[06:13] | How do we expect the people of Kazakhstan to come out and vote | 要是我们都不能确保 我们自己监控器的安全 |
[06:16] | if we can’t guarantee the safety of our own election monitors? | 又怎么期望哈萨克人民出来投票呢? |
[06:18] | It’s going to diminish turn-out, no question. | 参加人数一定会减少的 |
[06:20] | You think? | 你这么认为? |
[06:21] | Ethnic Chinese want revenge. They’re not looking for a referendum. | 中国那些少数民族要的是报复 他们才不在乎什么公民投票 |
[06:23] | Is there some kind of legitimacy threshold? | 有没有什么法律限制? |
[06:25] | You mean participation? | 你是说参与度? |
[06:26] | – Yeah. – No. | – 没错 – 没有 |
[06:28] | Chinese troops are holding on the border? | 中国军队就一直僵持在边境? |
[06:29] | Yeah, but any further loss of life they’ll have no choice. | 没错,但他们对于生命的损失别无选择 |
[06:31] | They’ll have to go in. | 他们不得不接受 |
[06:32] | Kazakhs understand that one hung over riot cop goes nuts and | 哈萨克人到底明不明白 和骚动警察作对会让人抓狂 |
[06:35] | everyone gets to live in a sarcophagus? | 还有到头来大家都要进石棺吗? |
[06:37] | Tarimov understands the stakes. He’s rattled, but he gets it. | Tarimov很清楚利害关系 他很恼火,但他心里也明白 |
[06:39] | These people love their vodka. | 这些家伙嗜好他的伏特加 |
[06:41] | Don’t drink and play thermonuclear war. | 不能边喝边打热核战争 |
[06:43] | That’s what I’m saying. | 这正是我的意思 |
[06:44] | Whatever communication we have with the Russians, | 不管我们和俄罗斯的交流关系怎么样 |
[06:46] | we have to emphasize that everyone needs to bury their dead and vote in peace. | 我们都必须强调每个民族 都需要安葬牺牲者还有进行和平投票 |
[06:50] | Right. | 没错 |
[06:50] | What do we know about these attacks in the Sudan? | 关于苏丹发生的袭击事件有什么消息? |
[06:53] | The refugee camp in Darfur? | 达尔福尔地区的难民营? |
[06:54] | Yeah. | 对 |
[06:55] | Janjaweed warriors on camel and horseback attacked the camp | Janjaweed的战士骑着马和骆驼袭击阵营 |
[06:58] | along with government troops out of Khartoum. | 还有政府部队撤出了喀土木 |
[06:59] | This is new, right? | 是新消息,对吗? |
[07:01] | Attacking the camps is new. | 袭击阵营是新的 |
[07:02] | And it’s directed by the government in Khartoum? | 还是喀土木政府指使的? |
[07:04] | African union peacekeepers say | 非盟的维和人员称 |
[07:05] | the Janjaweed and Sudanese government are the same thing. | Janjaweed和苏丹政府是一回事 |
[07:07] | Government helicopters were a part of the assault. | 政府的直升机也参与了这次袭击 |
[07:10] | There’s rape trauma in the camps, there’s amputations, all the men are dead. | 到处都是妇女被凌辱的场面 肢体漫天飞舞,男人都死了 |
[07:13] | We’ve seen it before. | 以前也有过 |
[07:15] | The big question is, will there be another member of the Bartlet family in the Capitol come next January. | 关键是,会不会又有一个来自Bartlet家族的成员 一月在国会就职 |
[07:21] | – Mr. Westin, who has insisted from the beginning on running as his own man… – They look good. | – Westin先生,一开始 还坚持要凭借他个人的魅力… – 他们看起来还不错 |
[07:26] | So, the peacekeepers are overwhelmed? | 就是说,维和部队已经支持不住了? |
[07:28] | Yeah. The minute it gets too dangerous, | 没错 就在形势极其紧张的时刻 |
[07:30] | the humanitarian groups pull out and we have genocide on smack. | 人道主义组织撤离了 简直就成了种族大屠杀 |
[07:33] | Let’s move on this. | 我们该讨论一下这个 |
[07:36] | – Really? – I want to see if we can get a resolution through the U.N. | – 你确定? – 我不知道 我们能不能在联合国中通过一项决议 |
[07:39] | There’s a Security Council meeting on the books, isn’t there? | 日程安排中有个安理会的会议,是吗? |
[07:41] | Yeah, next week. | 没错,就在下周 |
[07:43] | Let’s chop the financial balls off these genocidal bastards in Khartoum. | 我们要好好地在经济上 制约一下那群喀土木无恶不做的畜生 |
[07:46] | How? | 怎么做? |
[07:47] | We sanction their oil revenues. | 制裁他们的石油贸易 |
[07:48] | – I thought we agreed… – To sit on our butts? | – 我觉得我们同意了… – 让他们踩在我们头上? |
[07:50] | That China would veto; that’s why we’ve never tried it before. | 中国肯定会反对的 所以我们从没试过 |
[07:52] | China needs us now. | 中国现在需要我们 |
[07:54] | They need an honest broker with the Russians to make sure | 他们需要一个中间人 来协调和俄罗斯的关系 |
[07:56] | this election in Kazakhstan is legitimate. | 确保在哈萨克斯坦的选举是合法的 |
[07:58] | Is this coming from the President? | 这是总统的意思? |
[07:59] | It’s coming from me. | 是我的意思 |
[08:01] | I’m going to see what I can get and then take it to him. | 我要看看我能做什么 再把好转的情况告诉他 |
[08:05] | If we can assure them their flow of oil in Kazakhstan is secure, | 要是我们能确保 他们在哈萨克斯坦的石油交易是安全的话 |
[08:07] | then they may be willing to sacrifice something in the Sudan. | 那也许他们即使失去了苏丹也无所谓 |
[08:09] | We trade pots of oil. | 我们用石油外交 |
[08:10] | They give up what they’re getting in the Sudan, | 他们放弃苏丹的石油 |
[08:12] | we make sure they’re getting it from Kazakhstan. | 我们确保他们可以从哈萨克斯坦那得到 |
[08:13] | We don’t want to jeopardize our neutrality in Kazakhstan. | 我们并不希望 危及我们在哈萨克斯坦的中立位置 |
[08:15] | No, they can’t know it’s coming from us. | 当然不会,他们不会知道这是我们提出的 |
[08:18] | – We find a proxy. – Yeah. | – 我们要找个代言人 – 没错 |
[08:22] | France and Germany want us to let them sell arms to China again. | 法国和德国希望 我们能同意他们和中国的武器交易 |
[08:26] | Margaret! | |
[08:28] | I need the French Ambassador. | 我要见法国大使 |
[08:30] | He’s over at State. | 他回法国了 |
[08:31] | Will’s here. | Will来了 |
[08:32] | – Will? – Yeah. Send him in. | – 对,让他进来 |
[08:35] | I’m going to take off. | 我得离开了 |
[08:36] | Great. Thanks. | 很好,谢谢你 |
[08:37] | Campaign coordination in the Roosevelt. Josh is waiting. | Josh在等待罗斯福城的竞选合作 |
[08:40] | That’s a conference call. | 这是会上的事 |
[08:41] | Actually, he’s in town so he wanted to do it in person. | 事实上,他在城里,所以他想亲自处理 |
[08:43] | And Steve Lawson called again from the Refugees’ Rights Alliance. | Steve Lawson又从难民权利联盟打来电话 |
[08:47] | He wants five minutes this afternoon. | 他希望今天下午能给他五分钟的时间 |
[08:48] | Actually, it’s more like he demanded five minutes. | 不过他更像是在要求 |
[08:51] | I told him no. | 我回绝了他 |
[08:52] | Squeeze him in. | 给他五分钟 |
[08:54] | Really? | 你确定? |
[08:55] | Why not? | 我说得还不够清楚吗? |
[08:56] | You, I need. Come here. | 我正要找你 过来 |
[08:59] | What’s wrong? | 什么事? |
[09:00] | Close the door. | 把门关上 |
[09:00] | I didn’t do it. | 我不这么做 |
[09:01] | Close the door. | 关门! |
[09:02] | Toby did it. | 这是Toby做的事 |
[09:03] | Shut up! | 闭嘴! |
[09:17] | You gonna talk now? | 现在能说了吗? |
[09:20] | Seriously, I don’t react well to this. | 说正经的,我不太习惯你这样子 |
[09:23] | It’s like staring at a dog. | 好象是盯着一条狗 |
[09:25] | I think Doug Westin is having an affair with his nanny. | 我觉得Doug Westin和他的保姆有染 |
[09:28] | Jeez, I don’t want to know that. Why did you tell me that? | 天~,我可不想知道这事 你干嘛还告诉我? |
[09:30] | Because you deal with the press and I don’t want you to get blindsided. | 因为你要和传媒舆论打交道 我可不希望你太寡闻 |
[09:33] | Exactly! I work with the press. | 说的对! 我和传媒打交道 |
[09:35] | I do my best work when I’m the least-informed person in the room. | 我的消息源最少而我必须做得最好 |
[09:37] | You taught me that. | 是你教我的 |
[09:38] | – Suck it up. – I can’t act. | – 闭嘴 – 我不会装模做样 |
[09:39] | I’m a terrible actor. | 我没演戏的天分 |
[09:40] | – You were up in New Hampshire… – I don’t like to pretend. | – 你在新汉普郡长大… – 我不喜欢假装 |
[09:42] | – …during the primaries. – So, what? | – …表现十分优秀 – 那又怎么样? |
[09:43] | So, find out if there’s any truth to said rumor. | 那就去搞清楚到底谣言里有多少水分 |
[09:46] | How? | 怎么搞清楚? |
[09:47] | You’ll figure it out. | 你自己想办法 |
[09:49] | – Wow. – You think? | – 哇~ – 你有什么异议吗? |
[09:50] | I’ve got the President flying up there next week | 总统下周会过去 |
[09:51] | to lend his credibility to the alleged fornicator. | 声名对于这位所谓的私通者的信任 |
[09:54] | Really bad. | 糟透了 |
[09:55] | And we’ve already lost a Vice President in a sex scandal. | 我们已经有一个 由于性丑闻而被免职的副总统了 |
[09:58] | I feel like I’m handing out towels in the Playboy mansion. | 我觉得自己像是 在花花公子大厦里分发毛巾 |
[10:00] | It’s not your fault. | 这不是你的错 |
[10:01] | Oh, really now? | 哦,是么? |
[10:03] | Open the door. | 把门打开 |
[10:04] | What? | 什么? |
[10:04] | Open the door. | 把门打开 |
[10:11] | Did you take an awkward pill? | 你磕过”药”了? |
[10:12] | What? I’m always like this. | 什么? 我一直就这样 |
[10:21] | Briefer boy, I caught you on C-SPAN. You look real cute in makeup. | 简讯快递员,我在C-SPAN上见过你 化过妆的你果然可爱许多 |
[10:25] | Withering sarcasm, I love it. | 毁灭性的讽刺,我欣赏 |
[10:26] | Those are some brutal briefings. It’s like some sort of medieval wonk baiting. | 那都是些伤人的简讯 有点像中世纪书呆子看的料 |
[10:30] | Support me in public, that’s all I ask. | 当中对我表示支持,我只要这个 |
[10:32] | On Tuesday’s call, we were talking about how many more Cabinet members you want out on the trail. | 周二的电话里 我们谈了你还想要多少内阁成员 |
[10:36] | Yeah. Since I’m in town, I thought | 没错 既然我在城里 |
[10:37] | I’d nail down the President’s availability for the rest of the campaign. | 我想我应该知道在接下去的竞选中 总统有多少空余时间 |
[10:40] | I’m back at 4:00 to sit with Cabinet Affairs and work out a calendar. | 我4点回来会和内阁事务的人 一起定的行程计划 |
[10:43] | We’re going to need some people left in the building to, you know, run the country. | 我们也需要一些人留在这 你也知道,让这个国家继续运作 |
[10:45] | Yeah, I don’t care about that. | 没错,这不关我的事 |
[10:46] | But, we’re going to do everything we can to support you in your targeted media markets. | 我们会尽力在你们瞄准的媒体市场中支持你们 |
[10:49] | And I talked to the President. | 我也和总统谈过 |
[10:50] | He’s fine doing the radio address on deficit reduction. | 他很乐意进行有关减少赤字的电台演说 |
[10:53] | And I’m assuming you’re going to keep hitting Vinick on the impact of his tax cut, right? | 我也知道你们会继续 就Vinick的减税影响进行攻击,是吗? |
[10:56] | – Yeah. – What else? | – 很对 – 还有什么事? |
[10:57] | We’re all looking at the same polling. | 我们都看到了一样的民意表决 |
[10:59] | Santos does better where people think the country is moving in the right direction. | Santos在主流方向上表现的更胜一筹 |
[11:02] | – Sure. – Now, I don’t want you to do anything you wouldn’t be doing anyway. | – 当然 – 所以我不希望你们做些不该做的事 |
[11:05] | Of course not. | 当然不会 |
[11:05] | But whatever you have in terms of research grants, infrastructure initiatives… | 但是不管你们在调研部门 基础设施部有什么行动… |
[11:09] | it’s a waste to piddle it out in some Department of Commerce press release. | 让商务新闻发布处来发表全是白费 |
[11:13] | Let’s highlight it: have the Secretary show up, create some sizzle. | 简单的说 就是让秘书处发布些消息,制造点影响 |
[11:16] | We’ve got some small-business loans and light rail stuff coming down the pipe. | 我们会有关于小型企业贷款 和轻轨的一些消息 |
[11:18] | We’ll keep you posted. | 我们会时时给你最新消息 |
[11:19] | – Thanks. Whatever you’ve got. – That’s easy. | – 谢谢,我全收 – 这简单 |
[11:21] | – I want it all. – You will have it. | – 把你知道的都告诉我 – 知道了 |
[11:22] | I also want something big. | 我还有些更大的要求 |
[11:24] | Like? | 比如? |
[11:25] | The molecular transport lab – the biotech chemical genome thing. | 一个分子传输实验室 生化科技基因组项目 |
[11:28] | What about it? | 用来干什么? |
[11:29] | It’d be nice to make the announcement in Texas next week. | 要是下周能在德克萨斯宣布的话会很有帮助的 |
[11:31] | You just said you didn’t want us doing something we weren’t doing anyway. | 你刚说过不希望 我们做些我们本不打算做的事 |
[11:34] | I don’t. I just want you to move the announcement up. | 没错 我只是希望你们提前宣布这事 |
[11:36] | It’d be huge for us in Texas. | 会让我们在德克萨斯的支持率上个台阶 |
[11:37] | This could make the difference down there. | 把差距拉到无法挽回的地步 |
[11:38] | The location hasn’t been decided yet. | 但地点还没有确定 |
[11:40] | It’s still making it’s way through the agency review process. | 有关机构还在检测预定地点 |
[11:43] | – That’s not what I hear. – No? | – 这和我听到的不是同一个版本 – 不是? |
[11:44] | No. It’s going to Austin, all 2 billion dollars of it. | 不是 你们已经定在了奥斯汀 投资20亿美圆 |
[11:46] | I’ve got to go. | 我得走了 |
[11:47] | I’ll be back at 4:00 for Cabinet Affairs. | 4点我会回来商讨内阁事务 |
[11:49] | You should check that out. | 你该去确认一下这件事 |
[11:55] | How does he know we already made a decision? | 他怎么会知道我们已经做了决定? |
[11:56] | Maybe he doesn’t. Maybe it’s just a rumor. | 也许乱猜的,也可能是道听途说 |
[11:59] | Maybe it’s wishful thinking and he’s trying to jam it home on us. | 又或者是是他一相情愿 然后硬加在我们头上 |
[12:01] | If we announce that a 2 billion-dollar federal research investment is going to go to Texas before the election, | 要是我们在选举之前宣布那个20亿的联邦投资 将投入德克萨斯 |
[12:06] | the senior Senator from Kentucky is going to blow a gasket. | 那个肯塔基的高级参议员会崩溃的 |
[12:08] | Yeah, it’s a good way to make an elder statesmen look like a doddering, ineffectual fool. | 没错,这倒是个看政治家笑话的好机会 |
[12:12] | – The French Ambassador is in the Mural. – Yeah. | – 法国大使已经在壁画室了 – 好的 |
[12:13] | He’s fine. I gave him a beverage. | 他心情还不错,我还给了他喝的 |
[12:15] | Thanks. | 谢谢 |
[12:16] | Where did you leave it with the Senator? | 那个参议员怎么办? |
[12:17] | Bowles knows it’s going to Texas. | Bowles应该知道会是德克萨斯 |
[12:19] | He’s fighting for his life. | 他一生都想着这事 |
[12:20] | His constituents don’t like his politics anymore, | 他的委托人已经不太赞成他的政见了 |
[12:22] | “shwing” with the federal purse is all he’s got. | 他用来留住他们的唯一诱惑就是钱 |
[12:25] | He didn’t promise them anything. | 他并没有答应过什么 |
[12:26] | All he’s asking is that we hold off on the announcement until after the election. | 他现在的唯一要求就是 我们能到选举结束之后再宣布这件事 |
[12:29] | What’d you tell him? | 你跟他说了些什么? |
[12:29] | I told him we’d hold off until after the election. | 我告诉他我们会在选举之后提出 |
[12:32] | We’re not risking a Senate seat. | 我们不能失去任何一个参议院的席位 |
[12:35] | You’re doing it again. | 你又来了 |
[12:36] | Doing what? | 我怎么了? |
[12:37] | Just standing there in front of me. | 傻傻地竖在我面前 |
[12:38] | I thought we were talking. | 我们刚刚在谈话 |
[12:39] | That’s over now. | 现在结束了 |
[12:40] | Go see what you can find out about the nanny. | 看看你还能查出些什么有关那保姆的事 |
[12:42] | – I still don’t understand how I’m supposed to… – Walk away from me, now. | – 我还是不太懂我怎么去… – 从我眼前消失,马上 |
[12:47] | I’m so proud to serve in these hallowed halls. | 为这个神圣的地方服务我真是不胜荣幸啊~ |
[12:51] | We are very concerned about the reports out of the Sudan. | 我们对于苏丹的情况十分关心 |
[12:55] | The attacks on the internally displaced peoples camps in Darfur; yes, it’s awful. | 对达尔福尔内部地区 离散群众营地的袭击确实很可恶 |
[13:00] | We would like to turn off the financial spigot | 我们决定不再对喀土木政府 |
[13:03] | that is supporting the government in Khartoum. | 提供经济支柱 |
[13:05] | There’s no reason not to expect more mass killings and more displacements. | 他们很可能继续进行 大规模屠杀和人口转移 |
[13:08] | Well, as you know, the European community has formally condemned this activity. | 你也知道 欧洲社会已经正式谴责了这种行为 |
[13:12] | Yes, and as you know, the perpetrators do not care. | 当然,但那些作恶分子并不在乎 |
[13:14] | Our students have launched a very effective divestiture campaign. | 我们的学生 已经举行了十分有效的抵抗游行 |
[13:19] | Which we admire; | 我们很钦佩你们的做法 |
[13:20] | we believe you have the domestic constituency to support bold action. | 我们相信你们有一大批选民 支持这样大胆的行为 |
[13:23] | Yes, that’s true. | 说的对 |
[13:24] | We may be willing to support reopening your arms’ sales to China. | 我们也许可以赞成你们和中国的武器交易 |
[13:28] | In exchange for what? | 我们要付出什么代价? |
[13:29] | A U.N. resolution sanctioning all oil revenues to Khartoum. | 一项联合国决议 对喀土木石油贸易进行制裁 |
[13:32] | The Chinese will veto it. | 中方会反对的 |
[13:33] | They might. | 也许 |
[13:34] | C.J., they will. | C.J.,是一定 |
[13:35] | Look, if it was up to me, | 听着,要是让我作决定 |
[13:37] | NATO troops would have been on the ground in the Sudan years ago. | NATO(北大西洋公约组织)的部队 几年前就该在苏丹那待着了 |
[13:41] | Are you offering French troops to a NATO peacekeeping effort? | 你们有让法军加入NATO的维和部队吗? |
[13:44] | The African union troops are clearly doing their best to protect the camps. | 非盟的部队在尽他们最大的努力 保护那些阵营 |
[13:48] | There’s been improvement there. | 那的情况已经有所好转 |
[13:50] | People are still dying. | 还是有人不断死去 |
[13:51] | I know it’s not a solution. | 这不是解决之道 |
[13:53] | But I believe an African problem will require an African solution. | 但我认为 非洲的问题应该让非洲自己去解决 |
[13:57] | We would all prefer an African solution, but it’s not working. | 我们是更希望让非洲自己解决 但他们根本没用 |
[14:00] | But you have to ask yourself, C.J., how did we get here. | 你该扪心自问,C.J. 我们怎么会到这个地步的 |
[14:04] | We saw it coming. | 我们都眼睁睁地看着 |
[14:07] | We did. | 是的 |
[14:08] | Perhaps a murderous government with intelligence on international Islamic terrorist organizations… | 也许一个拥有 国际伊斯兰教恐怖组织信息的行凶政府… |
[14:14] | …could provide the United States with crucial information, absolutely. | …能够为美国提供重要的消息 这是当然的 |
[14:17] | Perfectly understandable. | 很好理解 |
[14:18] | But when we push things to the side often they come back to haunt us. | 但是当我们把事情放到一边时 他们又会反过来困扰我们 |
[14:24] | We all make calculations, Jacques. | 我们都有数据, Jacques |
[14:26] | And your investors who continue to trade shares of the multinationals | 你们的投资者 一直在和跨国公司进行股份交易 |
[14:30] | who do business with these killers on the New York Stock Exchange; | 而那些公司却和这些杀人犯做生意 还在纽约股市上销售 |
[14:34] | that’s another calculation, yes? | 也算是一项数据,不是吗? |
[14:36] | And there’s plenty of hypocrisy to go around. | 社交圈就是那么虚伪的 |
[14:38] | Sure, sure. | 当然,当然 |
[14:39] | Unfortunately, C.J., we cannot afford to introduce a resolution so obviously aimed at the Chinese. | 不幸的是, C.J.,要提出一项 明显针对中国的决议,我们承受不起 |
[14:46] | You are so fond of calling yourselves the “leaders of the free world.” | 你们一直都喜欢 以”自由世界的领导者”自称 |
[14:52] | So, lead. | 现在正是领导的时候 |
[15:06] | What do you got? | 有什么进展? |
[15:07] | Nothing. | 没有 |
[15:08] | He didn’t do it? | 你根本没去调查?! |
[15:08] | No, I mean I didn’t get anything. | 不对,我是说我什么都没搞到 |
[15:10] | – I told you to… – To what, casually call people in New Hampshire and ask them | – 我让你去… – 去干什么,随便找几个新汉普郡的人 |
[15:13] | if they think the President’s son-in-law is committing adultery with the nanny? | 然后问问他们是否知道 总统的女婿和他的保姆通奸? |
[15:15] | You’ll have to be a little more artful than that. | 你得问得更巧妙些 |
[15:17] | There is no art in trying to find out if somebody slept with someone else. | 要想知道两个人到底有没有关系 就得这么直白 |
[15:20] | You ask it straight out, or you don’t. | 你直截了当地问或者干脆别问 |
[15:22] | Art? | 要巧妙? |
[15:23] | I didn’t say it would be easy. | 我没说这事很简单 |
[15:24] | The segue hasn’t been invented that takes us from “how’s the weather” | 从”天气怎么样”(日常问候语) 到”Doug Westin有没有和他保姆通奸” |
[15:26] | to “Is Doug Westin hammering the nanny?”. | 之间的衔接应该还没人知道 |
[15:28] | So you have nothing? | 就是说你一无所获? |
[15:29] | No. I found out it’s really cold in New Hampshire. | 不,我发现新汉普郡那很冷 |
[15:31] | You’re useless. | 你是个废物 |
[15:32] | And that the Westin’s 26-year-old nanny of three years was let go in August | 还有…Westin的那个当了3年的26岁保姆 8月份的时候离开了 |
[15:36] | and is now traveling in Europe. | 现在正在欧洲旅行 |
[15:37] | OK. | 继续 |
[15:37] | And there do seem to be a lot of reporters focusing on Doug, digging around. | 而现在好象是有许多记者死盯着Doug 想挖点花边新闻 |
[15:41] | – That doesn’t mean he… – Sheila Jacobs, Tom Weller, Danny Concannon. | – 这并不能说明他… |
[15:44] | Danny Concannon, yeah. | Danny Concannon,我知道 |
[15:45] | They’re all talking to people off the record about Doug – non politicos. | 他们都在有意无意地接触群众 和他们谈谈非政客Doug |
[15:49] | And I pulled this picture of the whole family at a butter festival off the Internet. | 我还从网上截下了 他们全家在一个黄油品尝会上的照片 |
[15:54] | That’s the nanny right there, which makes me think he did it. | 那个就是保姆,那儿 看起来真的很让人动心 |
[15:58] | I mean, just look at her. | 我的意思是,看看她 |
[15:59] | What’s that supposed to mean? | 你什么意思? |
[16:00] | – I’m just saying… – Yeah, I can see your mouth moving. | – 我只是说… – 别把话卡在喉咙里 |
[16:02] | You’re just saying what? | 你想说什么? |
[16:03] | That she’s really cute and he probably did it. | 她确实很迷人,男人的抵抗力不太强 |
[16:04] | They have children. | 他们已经有孩子了 |
[16:05] | Sure. It’d be stupid to have a nanny if you didn’t have kids. | 当然,要是没有孩子就请保姆的话 那实在是太蠢了 |
[16:07] | – Especially one that looks like that. – Okay. | – 特别是还请个那么漂亮的 – 够了 |
[16:09] | I’m just saying, if you’re interested in the male perspective… | 我只是说说罢了 如果你对男性的观点有兴趣的话… |
[16:11] | Always. I find it raises the level of the discussion. | 每次,我都觉得我们的讨论不着边际 |
[16:13] | Can I give you one piece of advice before you ask me to leave my own office? | 在你强行让我离开我的办公室之前 我能给你条建议吗? |
[16:16] | W hat? | 什么? |
[16:17] | I don’t know where you’re going with this… | 我不明白你要这些干什么… |
[16:18] | I’m protecting the President. | 我的职责就是维护总统的名誉 |
[16:19] | Right. Whatever. | 没错,不管这些 |
[16:21] | This much I do know: there’s only one thing worse than | 我能想到的 |
[16:23] | telling the President of the United States his son-in-law is having an affair. | 只有一件事比告诉美国总统 他的女婿有外遇更糟糕 |
[16:26] | What’s that? | 什么事? |
[16:26] | Telling the President of the United States his son-in-law is having an affair and then finding out you were wrong. | 告诉总统他的女婿有了外遇 却又发现真相并非如此 |
[16:40] | This is Danny. | 我是Danny |
[16:41] | I know you’re working on the story and we’ll get to that later. | 我知道你在进一步挖掘内情 而我们也会插手这事 |
[16:43] | But right now, I’m concerned with the President and I don’t want to have | 但现在,我更担心总统这方面 |
[16:46] | to walk your dumb-ass gauntlet of journalistic ethics, | 而我也不想触犯 你们记者那些愚蠢的职业道德 |
[16:48] | so I’ll make this easy for you: I’m going to say a sentence | 所以我帮你想了个简单安全的方法 我来说 |
[16:50] | and if it’s true, you just don’t say anything. Clear? | 如果我说的是真的,那你就不用开口 清楚了吗? |
[16:54] | I don’t say anything? | 我什么也不用说? |
[16:55] | If you don’t say anything, it means that what I said was true. | 如果你什么也不说 那就表明我说的是事实 |
[16:57] | Uh, okay. | 呃,好吧 |
[16:59] | Got it? | 接受我的方法了? |
[17:00] | Isn’t that kind of risky? | 你不觉得有点冒险吗? |
[17:01] | What do you mean? | 什么意思? |
[17:01] | Well, what if you say something that’s not true and my cell phone cuts out? | 这么说吧,要是你说的不是真的 而我的手机又断线了,怎么办? |
[17:05] | That’s not going to happen. | 不可能的事 |
[17:06] | I just got on an elevator. | 我刚进了电梯 |
[17:07] | Well, get off now, mister! | 马上出来,先生! |
[17:09] | Whoa, whoa. Sorry. | 哇,哇,抱歉 |
[17:12] | Are you okay? | 你没事吧? |
[17:12] | I’m fine. I’m fine. | 我很好,很好 |
[17:16] | Uh, C.J. | 呃, C.J. |
[17:18] | – What the…? – I’m holding the fish now. | – 你要说的是…? – 我救了那条鱼 |
[17:22] | C.J. | 你须要私人空间,是吗? |
[17:23] | You want your privacy, don’t you? | 你须要私人空间,是吗? |
[17:25] | I really do. | 很对 |
[17:27] | Steve Lawson from Refugees’ Rights Alliance is out here. | 来自难民权利联盟的Steve Lawson到了 |
[17:31] | – Give me a minute. – I’ll do that. | – 让他先等等 – 好的 |
[17:35] | C.J., you okay? | C.J.,你没事吧? |
[17:39] | You there? | 你没挂? |
[17:39] | Yeah. You okay? | 对,你没什么事吧? |
[17:41] | I almost killed my fish. | 我差点把我的鱼弄死 |
[17:42] | On purpose? | 故意的? |
[17:43] | Why would I do that? | 我干嘛这么做? |
[17:44] | Well, you’ve been under a lot of pressure. | 你最近压力过大 |
[17:45] | Okay, listen up. | 好了,仔细听着 |
[17:46] | I’ll tell you anything you want to know if you have dinner with me tomorrow night. | 要是你明晚肯和我出来吃饭的话 我愿意回答你的任何问题 |
[17:49] | What? | 什么? |
[17:49] | I just want to see if we can get through an appetizer together. | 我只不过想知道我们到底能不能 一起熬过第一道开胃菜 |
[17:52] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[17:52] | Same place? | 还是老地方? |
[17:54] | Sure. | 当然 |
[17:54] | Great. Shoot. | 太棒了 |
[17:55] | If I went to the President with the information you brought to my attention, | 要是我把你说的消息告诉总统的话 |
[17:58] | would I be making a mistake? | 你能担保我说的都是真相吗? |
[18:00] | Nope, see you tomorrow night. | 当然,明晚见 |
[18:11] | Steve. Come in. | Steve,请进 |
[18:13] | It’s good to see you. | 很高兴见到你 |
[18:14] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[18:15] | I’m glad we could make this happen. | 我很高兴我们成功了 |
[18:16] | Me too. | 我也是 |
[18:18] | Have a seat. | 请坐 |
[18:21] | You’re aware of the situation in the Sudan? | 你们也很注意苏丹的情况? |
[18:23] | Yeah. | 当然 |
[18:23] | The attacks on the displacement camps, | 有关对转移阵营的袭击 |
[18:25] | Janjaweed warriors backed by government helicopters. | Janjaweed战士有政府提供的直升机 |
[18:27] | Right. | 没错 |
[18:28] | Has there been any official response from this administration? | 你们作了什么官方声明? |
[18:30] | We condemned it. | 我们进行了公开谴责 |
[18:32] | Well, what do you want to hear, C.J.? | 那么你想了解些什么, C.J.? |
[18:33] | You want to hear the numbers first, or the horror stories? | 伤亡人数还是触目惊心的场面? |
[18:35] | Neither. | 都不要 |
[18:36] | Well, I’ll just run down the talking points real quick then: 3 million displaced, 400,000 dead, | 好吧,我就迅速地过一遍我的话题 3百万人被转移,40万人死亡 |
[18:41] | children forced to watch their mothers raped and their fathers killed, | 孩子们眼睁睁地看着自己的母亲被凌辱 父亲被杀害 |
[18:44] | current death toll per month: 6,000. | 每月的死亡人数达到6,000 |
[18:47] | If the humanitarian organizations are forced to pull out, 100,000 per month. | 要是人道组织再被迫撤离的话 那每月就要死10万人 |
[18:50] | Steve. | |
[18:51] | I have some photographs. | 我还带来了照片 |
[18:52] | I don’t need to see photographs. | 我不需要看照片 |
[18:56] | When the babies die, the mothers don’t know how to put them down | 婴儿已经死去,但母亲却不会丢下他们 |
[18:58] | so they carry them around – | 于是,在这个星球上 |
[19:01] | on this planet, | 到处是抱着死婴的母亲 |
[19:03] | on your watch. | 你们不会没看到 |
[19:05] | Yeah. | 我知道 |
[19:07] | You remember the picture of the Vietnamese monk | 还记不记得那张越南僧侣的照片 |
[19:09] | who lit himself on fire to protest the war? | 他点燃自己来抗议战争? |
[19:11] | I used to think that guy was nuts. | 我总以为那家伙是个疯子 |
[19:12] | Now, it seems like the only logical response. | 不过现在看来,这是唯一合理的反应了 |
[19:15] | It won’t help. | 这么做起不了作用 |
[19:15] | We need strong preemptive action led by the Bartlet Administration. | 我们需要由Bartlet政府领导的 强有力的行动来先发制人 |
[19:19] | Overwhelming American military might? | 动用无可抵挡的美国军事力量? |
[19:22] | Followed by a decade of nation building in a part of the world | 接着又要在世界某个角落 花上十几年的时间重新建立一个国家 |
[19:25] | where many consider us infidels so that we might bring forth a new and benevolent democracy? | 而那的人又会把我们看作是异教徒 这么做就为了我们可以建设 一个全新的慈善的民主政体? |
[19:29] | Of course not. Come on, C.J. | 当然不是这个意思 行了, C.J. |
[19:30] | When did it become naive to try to put an end to genocide? | 停止种族大屠杀的计划 什么时候变得那么幼稚了? |
[19:33] | We are monitoring the situation carefully. | 我们一直都在严格监视那的情况 |
[19:35] | – Steve you don’t need to… – I need my government… | – Steve你不需要… – 我需要我的政府… |
[19:38] | – The President is fully aware… – …to assert what’s left of its moral authority. | – 总统也在密切关注… – …去思考 他自己的道德名誉上还有多少可信度 |
[19:41] | Okay. | 就到这吧 |
[19:48] | I want five minutes with the President. | 我要求总统留5分钟给我 |
[19:50] | This was your five minutes with the President. | 刚才已经给过你5分钟了 |
[19:52] | I’m sorry, Steve. I’m late for a meeting. | 很抱歉,Steve 我要赶去开会 |
[20:03] | You’ve got the German Ambassador in the Mural when you come back. | 你开会回来后 德国大使会在壁画室见你 |
[20:06] | Great. Doug Westin’s in town. I need to see him tonight. | 很好 Doug Westin在镇上 今晚我要见他 |
[20:08] | – I’ll track him down. – Alone. | – 我会联系他的 – 只要他一个人来 |
[20:10] | – Alone? – Alone. | – 一个人? – 一个人 |
[20:18] | I smell bacon. | 我闻到了培根的香味 |
[20:20] | Hello, Josh. | 嗨, Josh |
[20:21] | A heapin’ helpin’ of sizzling federal pork butt. | 大堆大堆烤得咝咝作响的联邦猪肉 |
[20:23] | I can’t talk right now. | 我没心情聊天 |
[20:24] | Just perfect for a Texas barbeque. | 正好适合一顿德克萨斯的烤肉野餐 |
[20:26] | I have a meeting. | 我要去开会 |
[20:27] | I just finished up with Cabinet Affairs. I thought you might have some news. | 我刚了结了内阁事务 也许你会有些新闻 |
[20:30] | I don’t. | 没什么新闻 |
[20:31] | Cause it would be really helpful to make the announcement in Texas next week. | 下周在德克萨斯宣布这事真的会很有帮助的 |
[20:34] | We can’t announce something we haven’t decided yet. | 我们不能宣布我们还没决定的事 |
[20:36] | See, this is weird, | 这就太奇怪了 |
[20:37] | because when the EPA did the environmental impact study in Kentucky, | 当美国环保署在肯塔基 做环境影响调查的时候 |
[20:40] | they concluded it had to go to Texas. | 他们却决定转到德克萨斯 |
[20:41] | Oh, really now? | 哦,就现在? |
[20:42] | Yeah. I have the data, | 没错,哦这儿有数据 |
[20:44] | plus the University of Texas has everything they need in terms of research coordination. | 而且德州大学还拥有 他们需要做调研的一切设备 |
[20:47] | You know all this. You’re playing with me, right? | 你应该全都知道的 你在和我开玩笑,对吧? |
[20:50] | I’m not. We haven’t made a decision. | 我没有 我们还没作决定 |
[20:51] | You have bad information. | 你这次消息闭塞了 |
[20:53] | I feel pretty confident about my information | 我相信我获取消息的效率 |
[20:55] | since I actually work here and you actually don’t. | 毕竟是我在这工作而不是你 |
[20:58] | And now, I have a meeting. | 至于现在,我要去开会 |
[21:00] | The President needs to fly down to Texas, stand next to the Congressman, | 总统下周必须飞抵德克萨斯 他得在议员旁边 |
[21:03] | and make the announcement next week. | 还要当场宣布消息 |
[21:04] | It’s not going to happen. | 这不可能 |
[21:05] | It’s going to come out before the election anyway, C.J. | 无论如何这一定会在选举之前发生, C.J. |
[21:07] | You can’t keep this kind of information quiet. | 你不可能让这种消息保密的 |
[21:09] | The only question is: do you want the President to be a part of the story or not. | 唯一的问题取决于 你是否希望总统也参与到整个故事之中 |
[21:12] | Think about it. I’m around. | 好好想想 我随叫随到 |
[21:17] | Please, have a seat. | 请坐 |
[21:18] | What can I do for you, C.J.? | 我能帮上什么忙吗, C.J.? |
[21:20] | – We’ve been monitoring these developments in the Sudan. – Disturbing. Tragic. – As long as oil revenues continue to flow into Khartoum, the humanitarian situation will continue to deteriorate. | – 我们一直都在监视苏丹的情况 – 烦人的悲剧 – 只要石油暴利继续流入喀土木(苏丹首都) 人道主义救援行动就会日益衰弱 |
[21:27] | Germany has completed a large deal and one of our companies is building a… | 德国已经做成了一比大交易 而我们的一家公司正在建设一个… |
[21:30] | A diesel-electric plant, yes, we are aware. | 以柴油发动机发电的工厂 我们当然注意到了 |
[21:32] | Good. I want to be honest with you. | Good. 很好,我也希望我们之间能坦白些 我很满意 |
[21:35] | We are looking for a U.N. resolution. | 我们在争取对一项联合国决议的支持者 |
[21:38] | – From whom? – From you. | – 从谁那儿争取? – 你 |
[21:41] | The Chinese will veto. | 中国会使用否决权 |
[21:42] | They might. | 也许 |
[21:42] | 100% they will. 100%. | 100%他们会用 |
[21:46] | This is something that the President needs. | 这是总统迫切需要的 |
[21:48] | Yes. You already made the same request of the French. | 我知道 你们也对法国提出了这项要求 |
[21:52] | We talk often. We have a union now. | 我们经常地交流 现在我们都是欧盟的人 |
[21:55] | If you want this resolution so much, why don’t you make it yourselves? | 要是你们这么希望通过这项决议 你们何不自己立一项? |
[21:57] | Because right now we’re doing everything we can to avoid World War III in Kazakhstan. | 因为我们正尽一切努力 避免在哈萨克斯坦爆发第三次世界大战 |
[22:01] | And at the same time we would like to do whatever we can | 而且我们也愿意尽全力 |
[22:03] | to prevent an unnecessary and massive loss of human life. | 阻止这场将会损失惨重却不必要的战争 |
[22:07] | Then focus on humanitarian needs. | 那就多关注一下人道主义上的需要 |
[22:09] | If we start mixing human rights with oil exports, | 如果我们把人权和石油出口混为一谈的话 |
[22:11] | we’ll all be riding bicycles. | 那我们就都得骑着自行车外出了 |
[22:12] | The Parliament of the European Union declared what was happening in Darfur to be tantamount to genocide. | 欧盟的国会宣称在达尔福尔地区发生的一切 几乎和种族大屠杀没什么区别 |
[22:17] | Tantamount, yes. Overwhelmingly. | 是很等价的说法 一点没错 |
[22:20] | In exchange for your introduction of the new resolution, | 作为对你们通过新决议的交换 |
[22:23] | we will drop our opposition to your resumption of arms sales to China. | 我们愿意改变立场 支持你们重新和中国进行武器买卖 |
[22:26] | And, of course, we can assure you a sympathetic hearing | 当然,我们还保证 |
[22:29] | at the next round of trade negotiations. | 在下一轮的贸易协商中 美国会投赞成票 |
[22:34] | There may be another construction project in conjunction with | 我们可能会再建设一个工厂 |
[22:36] | the diesel-electric plant in Khartoum. | 以便同喀土木的那个 柴油发动机发电厂承接 |
[22:39] | It will be grandfathered into the sanctions. | 它可以免受制裁限制 |
[22:42] | Well, then how can I refuse you? You’re very persuasive. | 这样的好处我怎能拒绝呢? 你很有说服力 |
[22:46] | Thank you, Mr. Ambassador. The President will be thrilled. | 非常感谢你,大使先生 总统会很高兴的 |
[22:49] | How will you avoid a veto from China? | 你要如何阻止中国使用否决权呢? |
[22:51] | You just said it yourself, Hans. | 你自己刚说过, Hans |
[22:52] | Yeah? | 我说过? |
[22:53] | I can be very persuasive. | 我很有说服力 |
[22:59] | You see, we are now at the point where the research disciplines can no longer afford to function separately. | 很明显,我们制定的各种科研规定 已经无法离开整体单独运用了 |
[23:04] | Our understanding of our natural world is beginning to inform | 我们一层层揭开大自然的奥秘 无疑使我们更准确地把握科技的命脉 |
[23:07] | our technological future and our understanding of technology | 而我们对于科技的掌控 又将掀起新一轮的科技革命 |
[23:11] | stands on the verge of revolutionizing our ability to detect and | 这会大大提高我们诊断以及治疗 |
[23:16] | treat countless number of illnesses. | 各种疾病的机率 |
[23:18] | That’s why federal investments like the proposed molecular transport lab are so important. | 所以联邦对于科技的投资 例如建设分子传输实验室,是如此重要 |
[23:25] | There’s about to be another biotech explosion, my friends, and let me tell you this: | 这将引发一场生物技术大爆炸 朋友们,我要告诉你们的是 |
[23:28] | I’ve looked closely at this project and I believe that in the next couple of days, | 我深入了解过这项工程 所以我才深信过不了几天 |
[23:32] | we’re going to be hearing some good news for the great city of Austin! | 我们就能听到 来自奥斯汀这个伟大城市的好消息! |
[23:36] | Son of a bitch! | 该死的东西! |
[23:38] | Dial Josh, now. Son of a bitch. | 马上打电话给Josh 该死的!!! |
[23:45] | You got him? | 接通了? |
[23:46] | On two. | 2号线 |
[23:49] | Hello. | 嗨 |
[23:49] | Hey, what’s up? | 嘿,什么事? |
[23:50] | – I hate it when I make myself clear… – Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, wait. | – 我最讨厌我已经说得很清楚… – 哇~~~,别发那么大火 |
[23:53] | …and I’m not received. | …却还是有人不照做 |
[23:55] | It’s a done deal, C.J. | 这事早就定了,C.J. |
[23:56] | This is not your call. | 这不关你的事 |
[23:58] | He didn’t announce it. | 他并没有直接宣布 |
[23:59] | He said that Austin was the most viable site. | 只不过是说奥斯汀是最合适的地点 |
[24:01] | – He didn’t make any… – Don’t make distinctions with me, Josh. | – 他什么都没… – 不要狡辩了,Josh |
[24:03] | I’ve known you too long. | 我很了解你 |
[24:04] | – You’re right. – Way too long. | – 你说的对 – 非常了解 |
[24:06] | I understand that Calvin Bowles’ Senate seat is a priority. | 我知道Calvin Bowles的参议院席位很重要 |
[24:08] | Calvin Bowles… | |
[24:09] | Yeah, you know: the pious old pork hog who votes like a schizophrenic. | 你也知道这个虔诚的老家伙 投票的时候就像个精神分裂症患者 |
[24:12] | – You done? – Yeah, go ahead. | – 你说完了? – 对,该你了 |
[24:13] | – Calvin Bowles is a breathing Democrat. – That’s debatable. – And we cannot afford to lose any more of those. – Since when does holding on to the White House fit into your priorities? | – Calvin Bowles是个尽责的民主党 – 还有争议 – 再失掉一个席位我们承担不起 – 什么时候坚持白宫准则成了你的大事了? |
[24:17] | I’m sorry. Doug Westin’s here. | 打扰一下,Doug Westin到了 |
[24:19] | Tell him I’ll be right there. | 我马上就来 |
[24:21] | Listen up, Josh. I work for Jed Bartlet. | 听着, Josh. 我是为Jed Bartlet干活的 |
[24:24] | I wouldn’t be doing my job | 要是我没有试着在任何状况下 都尽力去维护他的名誉的话 |
[24:25] | if I wasn’t trying to preserve his legacy under all eventualities. | 那是我的失职 |
[24:28] | The transporter announcement’s off the table until after the election. | 关于运输机的事 只有选举之后才能拿上台面来说 |
[24:31] | Is that clear? | 我说够明白了吗? |
[24:33] | – Now if you’ll excuse me… – C.J., C.J., listen to me. | – 好了,我还有事… – C.J., C.J., 听我说 |
[24:36] | You want to cover all eventualities? | 你想照顾到所有的意外? |
[24:38] | Have the President join us in Texas for the announcement, | 那就让总统和我们一起 到得克萨斯去宣布这一事实 |
[24:40] | then he and Santos will fly to Kentucky to stump for Senator Bowles together. | 然后他就能和Santos一起到肯塔基 为Senator Bowles做政治演说 |
[24:44] | All your problems are solved. | 你所有的顾虑就都解决了 |
[24:46] | I have to go now. | 我还有事 |
[24:58] | Come in, Doug. | 请进, Doug |
[25:00] | C.J., how you doing? | C.J.,最近怎么样? |
[25:01] | I’m just great. | 我很好 |
[25:01] | Great. | 不错 |
[25:02] | You know what the first thing I’m going to do when they declare me the winner? | 你知道当他们宣布我胜出后 我做的第一件事是什么吗? |
[25:05] | What are you going to do, Doug? | 是什么, Doug? |
[25:06] | Ask for a recount. | 要求他们重新计票 |
[25:09] | That’s not my line, but I love it. | 这不关我的事,但我就是这样子 |
[25:12] | It’s great, isn’t it? | 这太棒了,不是吗? |
[25:13] | Yeah. Great. | 没错,很棒 |
[25:13] | I am so jazzed about this event with the President next week. | 一想到下星期我就要和总统一起露面 我就兴奋不已 |
[25:16] | We are gonna win this thing. | 我们一定会赢 |
[25:18] | I’ve never felt so strongly about anything in my life. | 有生以来,我第一次对一件事情那么肯定 |
[25:21] | But until that last vote is counted, | 但直到最后一票统计结束之前 |
[25:23] | I’m going to operate under the assumption that I’m going to lose; nothing for granted. | 我都觉得自己会输 虽然并没什么理所当然的 |
[25:27] | But, I mean, look who I’m talking to. | 哦,我都忘了自己在和谁说话了 |
[25:28] | You know exactly what I’m going through. | 你知道的一定比我都清楚 |
[25:34] | Don’t say it. | 别现在打击我 |
[25:35] | Do not tell me the President needs to go to Zurich or something next week to work on this Kazakhstan thing. | 不要告诉我总统下周要去苏黎世 或者其他什么事为了哈萨克斯坦那儿的事 |
[25:39] | Just don’t tell me that. | 别让我听到这种事 |
[25:40] | No, he doesn’t. | 不,不是这事 |
[25:41] | Good. | 太好了 |
[25:43] | I don’t care what you do privately. | 你私下干的事我不想过问 |
[25:46] | OK. | 没问题 |
[25:46] | – I really don’t. – I’m a little… | – 我一点也不想管 – 我有点… |
[25:48] | But when you do something that affects my boss’s ability to do his job, | 但是 如果你做了些影响我老板办事能力的事 |
[25:52] | that could embarrass him on a political trip to New Hampshire, | 或者 会让他在新汉普郡的政治旅程难堪的事 |
[25:54] | and will take attention away from urgent national and, | 又可能让他从紧急的国家 现在是国际事务上分心的事 |
[25:57] | at the moment, international issues, I begin to care very deeply. | 我就不是简单地干预一下了 |
[26:00] | Right now, I’m trying to get the Chinese Ambassador here | 马上我就要去接见中国大使 |
[26:02] | to put an end to some unimaginable human suffering. | 避免一场无法想象的人类灾难 |
[26:05] | So if you have a problem with your zipper, get it out of my face, right now. | 要是你裤子上的拉链有什么问题的话(暗指保姆一事) 请马上从我面前消失 |
[26:09] | Do you understand me? | 懂我意思了吗? |
[26:13] | I think I do. | 懂了 |
[26:14] | I think you do too. | 我也觉得你该懂的 |
[26:17] | Yeah. | 没错 |
[26:19] | Chinese Ambassador in the Mural Room. | 中国大使在壁画室等你 |
[26:21] | Thanks. | 谢谢 |
[26:24] | Here’s what’s going to happen now: | 你接下去要做的就是 |
[26:25] | you’re going to walk up the hall to the Office of Political Affairs. | 穿过大厅到行政事务办公室那 |
[26:28] | You will tell the people in that room that, on second thought, | 告诉那边的人,你经过再三考虑 |
[26:30] | you don’t want to be overshadowed by your father-in-law. | 还是不希望靠着岳父的名誉获胜 |
[26:32] | You want to win this thing yourself, on your own merits. | 你想靠你自己,发挥你自己的实力 |
[26:35] | And thanks but no thanks, you are withdrawing your request | 谢谢你或者是你应该的 你要收回你的请求 |
[26:38] | to have the President appear with you in Manchester next week. | 不要总统下周和你一起在曼彻斯特露面 |
[26:41] | Do that for me, will ya? | 帮我这个忙,可以吗? |
[26:45] | That’d be great. | 很好 |
[26:51] | It is an irresponsible moment for the Germans to propose sanctions on the Sudan. | 德国对苏丹进行制裁是完全不负责任的 |
[26:55] | Two nuclear powers are mobilized. | 两个核力量已经开始行动了 |
[26:58] | We have troops massed on both borders of Kazakhstan. | 我们有部队驻扎在哈萨克的边境 |
[27:01] | We’re standing on the edge of the abyss. | 我们已经离地狱不远了 |
[27:03] | I agree. The timing is odd. | 我很同意 这个时机选的很奇怪 |
[27:05] | It is not appreciated. | 而且没有人会感激 |
[27:06] | Yeah. | 没错 |
[27:07] | And stupid. | 又愚蠢至极 |
[27:08] | These Europeans: they’re always pretending | 这些欧洲人,他们总是假装 |
[27:10] | to have a significance they no longer possess. | 拥有自己早已失去的重要地位 |
[27:13] | I have spoken to them and I would like to make a proposal. | 我和他们谈过了 我提出了一个建议 |
[27:17] | What is it? | 什么建议? |
[27:18] | You are interested in purchasing arms from the French and the Germans. | 你们对于法国和德国的武器很感兴趣 |
[27:21] | We are interested in all markets. | 并不仅限于这两个国家 |
[27:23] | There have been no sales since Tiananmen, correct? | 天安门事件以来你们已经很久没有 从他们那购买武器了,是吗? |
[27:25] | Israel, other countries have done business with us. | 以色列还有其他的一些国家 在和我们做买卖 |
[27:28] | Six months ago, the French and the Germans told us | 6个月前,法国和德国告诉我们 |
[27:30] | they would like to sell to you again. | 他们愿意再次向你们开放市场 |
[27:31] | They should. It’s a meaningless restriction. | 这是理所当然的 他们之前的做法是毫无意义的 |
[27:34] | They’re simply losing money. | 只会让他们损失更多 |
[27:35] | We objected strongly. | 而我们强烈反对 |
[27:36] | I was there. | 我当时在场 |
[27:38] | There may be some latitude now. | 我们现在愿意妥协 |
[27:40] | With the arms sales? | 对武器贸易妥协? |
[27:41] | Yes. | 没错 |
[27:43] | Well, it would be difficult to justify closing off such a significant source of oil. | 但是要为关闭这样一个重要的石油源泉 找个正当的借口是很难的 |
[27:48] | We’re thirsty. We are trying to grow an economy. | 我们有强烈的渴望 渴望经济繁荣 |
[27:51] | We’re going to make sure your oil supply is preserved in Kazakhstan. | 我们担保哈萨克斯坦 对你们的石油供给不会中断 |
[27:54] | You can show yourselves to be responsible members of the world community | 你们可以通过对德国的决议有所克制 |
[27:59] | with a simple abstention on the German resolution. | 从而在国际社会上 显示自己的责任心 |
[28:01] | It will allow us to put American election monitors on the ground to ensure a fair vote there. | 这样也能方便我们把选举监控器 安装好,以确保投票的公正性 |
[28:08] | That’s it? | 就这些? |
[28:09] | That’s a lot. | 这些已经意味着很多了 |
[28:12] | I will disappear into my massive bureaucracy and see what I can do. | 看来我又要隐没到庞大的官僚制度中 去做些手脚了 |
[28:18] | Funny. | 说的很有趣 |
[28:19] | Thank you, Ambassador. | 谢谢你,大使先生 |
[28:24] | You know what I think about a lot, when I’m having these kinds of discussions? | 你知道在我进行这种讨论的时候 我想的最多的是什么吗? |
[28:31] | What, sir? | 什么,先生? |
[28:32] | Capitalism vanquished communism, obliterated it. | 资本主义压制住了共产主义 甚至淹没了共产主义 |
[28:37] | And here we are having a discussion where you are trying to restrict our markets. | 而我们又在这儿 讨论你们对于我们市场的限制 |
[28:42] | We’re trying to address a humanitarian situation in the Sudan. | 我们是在努力缓解 苏丹的人道主义救援情况 |
[28:46] | Exactly. | 说的很对 |
[28:47] | But you have always taught us that liberty is the same thing as capitalism, | 但你们总是告诉我们 自由只存在于资本主义社会之中 |
[28:52] | as if life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness cannot be crushed by greed. | 就好象真正的生活,自由和对幸福的追求 永远无法从贪婪中获得一般 |
[28:58] | Your American dream is financial, not ethical. | 你们美国的梦想是功利的,而非基于品质的 |
[29:07] | This is a good deal for the Chinese. I hope you’ll consider it carefully. | 对中国来说这是个有利可图的交易 希望您能好好考虑一下 |
[29:12] | Of course. | 当然会 |
[29:14] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[29:14] | No, thank you. | 不,我该谢谢你才对 |
[29:16] | You have taught us well. | 你们教会了我们很多 |
[29:35] | The President needs you in the Oval and I have a yogurt here. | 总统在他办公室等你 还有我给你带了份酸奶 |
[29:38] | What for? | 干什么用? |
[29:40] | To eat. | 喝呀 |
[29:42] | He’s in there? | 他在那儿? |
[29:42] | Yeah. | 对 |
[29:45] | And… he’s grumpy. | 还有…他有点急噪 |
[29:48] | Come in. | 请进 |
[29:52] | How you doing, kid? | 干的怎么样? |
[29:53] | Very good, sir. | 很顺利,先生 |
[29:55] | I’m glad to hear it. | 听你这么说,我很高兴 |
[29:56] | Teddy Barrow just called from State. | Teddy Barrow刚从行政部打电话过来 |
[29:58] | What the hell’s going on with this Sudan thing? | 苏丹那到底发生了什么事? |
[30:00] | I’m working on a Security Council resolution. | 我正努力使一项安理会决议通过 |
[30:01] | Sanctioning oil revenues? | 对石油收入的制裁? |
[30:03] | Yes, sir; to be introduced by the Germans. | 没错,先生 由德国提出 |
[30:04] | And then vetoed by the Chinese. | 然后由中国否决 |
[30:06] | – Not necessarily. – Probably. | – 并不一定 – 但有可能 |
[30:07] | – Could be. – I am trying to diffuse a nuclear stand-off. | – 机会不大 – 我正在协调核力量的对峙 |
[30:11] | Why on Earth would we want to antagonize the Chinese right now? | 我们干嘛吃饱了没事去惹中国? |
[30:14] | We’re not; this is coming from the Germans. | 我们没有 这个决议会由德国提出 |
[30:16] | You don’t think the Chinese are going to figure it out? | 你认为中国真那么蠢吗? |
[30:18] | We owe these people $350 billion for God’s sake. They’re not stupid. | 我们欠了那些家伙3千5百亿 他们会就此罢休吗?! |
[30:22] | We’re out of time. | 我们没时间了 |
[30:28] | We’ve all been hypnotized by the complexity of this thing in the Sudan; | 我们全都被苏丹那的复杂情况困扰了 |
[30:31] | the EU, the UN, State. | 欧盟,联合国,联邦政府 |
[30:34] | This isn’t a solution but it’s a start. | 这不是万全之策但至少可以用用 |
[30:36] | I can’t have anything compromising our neutrality in Kazakhstan. | 我不能让任何危及 我们在哈萨克斯坦中立性的隐患存在 |
[30:39] | This won’t. | 这个不会 |
[30:40] | As far as China knows, this is Europe holding their feet to the fire, not us. | 就中国所知,这是欧洲那些国家在引火上身 不是我们 |
[30:43] | We’re the ones brokering the face-saving deal. | 我们只不过是在促成 一项顾全大局的交易 |
[30:45] | China would owe us. | 中国会倒欠我们一个人情的 |
[30:47] | This could even help us in Kazakhstan. | 这甚至可以帮助我们在哈萨克斯坦的处境 |
[30:55] | Is this about the Sudan | 这和苏丹有关还是 |
[30:56] | or the fact that we’re all about to get kicked out of this building? | 和我们要被赶下台的事实有关? |
[31:05] | When the babies die, the mothers carry them around for days. | 孩子死去后 他们的母亲依旧连着几天抱着他们 |
[31:10] | They can’t put them down. | 没有母亲忍心丢下自己的孩子 |
[31:17] | Yeah. | 我知道 |
[31:20] | Keep working the resolution. | 继续推行你的决议 |
[31:23] | Thank you, Mr. President. | 谢谢,总统先生 |
[31:24] | Why is Matt Santos stomping on what’s left of my goodwill up on the Hill. | 为什么Matt Santos stomping on what’s |
[31:28] | The transport lab… | 那个传输实验室… |
[31:30] | I got an irate phone call from the senior Senator from Kentucky. | 我接到一个愤怒的资深参议员 从肯塔基打来的电话 |
[31:33] | Right. | 我能猜到 |
[31:33] | At least I think he was irate. | 至少我觉得他很生气 |
[31:34] | He didn’t have his teeth in so I’m not sure what the hell he was talking about. | 他没装上那副假牙 所以我听不懂他到底要说什么 |
[31:37] | The Santos campaign got some polling telling them a huge, federal investment in Austin could help them win Texas. | Santos的竞选小组从投票表决中发现 对奥斯汀注入一笔巨额联邦投资 能帮他们拿下德克萨斯 |
[31:42] | Yeah. | 没错 |
[31:43] | Which is why I think we should send you to Austin | 所以我才决定让你去奥斯汀 |
[31:45] | to announce the transport lab with Santos, | 和Santos一起宣布建立一个传输实验室 |
[31:48] | then we send you both to Kentucky to help stump for Bowles. | 接着让你们去肯塔基 帮Bowles做政治演说 |
[31:50] | When’s that going to happen? | 什么时候的事? |
[31:52] | Thursday. | 周四 |
[31:53] | Doug Westin withdrew his request to have you campaign with him in New Hampshire. | Doug Westin收回了 请你帮他到新汉普郡竞选的要求 |
[31:58] | Why’d he do that? | 有什么理由吗? |
[31:59] | I think he wants to prove he’s his own man. | 也许他想证明他自己的实力 |
[32:02] | By losing? | 用失败来证明? |
[32:04] | If that’s what it takes. | 这是代价 |
[32:06] | Liz is going to kill him. Doug just changed his mind? | Liz会杀了他的 Doug只是简单地改变了主意? |
[32:14] | Was there anything else? | 还有什么事吗? |
[32:20] | No, sir. Thank you, Mr. President. | 没了,先生 谢谢,总统先生 |
[32:30] | When do you get an answer from the Chinese? | 中国什么时候会给你回复? |
[32:32] | I should know something over the weekend. | 估计这个周末吧 |
[32:34] | It’s worth a shot. | 值得一试 |
[32:35] | Yeah. | 没错 |
[32:36] | Hey. | 嘿 |
[32:37] | Come here a sec. | 过来一下 |
[32:42] | What’s up? | 什么事? |
[32:43] | I need to tell you something. | 我要和你说点事 |
[32:45] | Are you all right? | 你没事吧? |
[32:47] | – Doug Westin… – Yes? | – 怎么? |
[32:50] | Doug Westin had an affair with his nanny. | Doug Westin和他的保姆有一手 |
[32:54] | Get out. | 该死的家伙 |
[32:56] | It might break, it might not. | 可能会穿帮,也可能不会 |
[32:58] | Is she cute? | 她漂亮吗? |
[32:59] | – Who cares if she’s… – I’ve spent my life surrounded by men in uniform. | – 谁在乎她… – 我一生几乎都和穿制服的男人在一起 |
[33:02] | – I don’t… – Biology kicks Virtue’s ass, in my experience. | – 我不是… – 我的经验告诉我 德行最终是要败在人类本能的脚下 |
[33:05] | – She’s 26. – Yeesh. Okay. | – 她26岁 – 恩,年龄正合适 |
[33:08] | So she doesn’t have to be cute. | 那她并不需要惊艳的外表 |
[33:09] | – I’m… – It’s disgusting. | – 我… – 这太让人恶心了 |
[33:11] | Yeah. | 很对 |
[33:11] | He should die. | 他真该死 |
[33:12] | The bastard should just be dead. | 私生子也该死 |
[33:15] | Did Liz leave him? | Liz离开他了吗? |
[33:16] | I don’t think she knows. | 我想她应该还不知情 |
[33:17] | We should six Special Ops on him. Make him a tragedy she can cry over. | 我们应该对他进行秘密监控 把他弄成个让妻子为之哀叹的家伙 |
[33:20] | I made him withdraw his request to have the President appear with him in Manchester next week. | 我要求他收回了 让总统下周和他一起在曼彻斯特露面的请求 |
[33:24] | And you’re telling me this because…? | 你告诉这事是因为…? |
[33:25] | I don’t know if I should… | 我不知道该不该… |
[33:27] | Tell her? | 告诉她? |
[33:28] | No. No, no, no. | 不,不,当然不要 |
[33:29] | Now’s the time everybody just looks at her funny until she figures it out. | 在她发现之前 大家都只是想看笑话而已 |
[33:32] | I know. | 我知道 |
[33:33] | – I just don’t know if I owe the President… – Sorry. | – 我只是不知道对于总统那儿… – 打扰你们了 |
[33:36] | Liz Westin’s in your office. She needs to talk to you. | Liz Westin在你办公室 她想和你谈谈 |
[33:40] | Good luck. | 只能祝你好运了 |
[33:43] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[33:59] | Hi, Liz. | 嗨, Liz |
[34:01] | C.J., hi. | C.J.,嗨 |
[34:02] | I’m sorry to barge in on you. Are you busy? | 很抱歉打扰你了,是不是很忙? |
[34:04] | Well, you know, thermonuclear war, genocide… | 你也知道 热核战争,种族大屠杀… |
[34:08] | I don’t mean to bother you. | 我并不想干扰你的 |
[34:09] | It’s fine. It’s good to see you. | 没事 见到你很高兴 |
[34:12] | Have you seen Doug? | 你见过Doug了? |
[34:14] | He was here yesterday, right? | 他昨天来过,不是么? |
[34:16] | Yeah. | 对 |
[34:17] | He marched into Political Affairs and told them | 他闯到行政事务处,告诉他们 |
[34:19] | he didn’t want my father to come up and do the event with us next week. | 他不希望我父亲下周和我们一起露面 |
[34:21] | I heard that. | 我听说了 |
[34:22] | I can’t believe it. | 我简直不敢相信 |
[34:23] | Do you have any idea how long it took me to convince him to let my father help? | 你知不知道我花了多少口舌 才让他接受我父亲的帮助? |
[34:26] | I know from the start that it was important to him to be his own man – | 我知道从一开始他就想做个真正的男人 |
[34:29] | to win or lose this thing on his own. | 不管是输是赢,都是他自己的事 |
[34:31] | His father-in-law is the President. It’s a fact. | 他的岳父是总统 这是不争的事实 |
[34:33] | He can’t run away from that. | 他永远都无法逃避 |
[34:35] | It’s got to be hard to try and live up to the President. | 要让总统满意是很难的事 |
[34:38] | You can’t. | 你不能这么说 |
[34:39] | No. | 我可以 |
[34:40] | But he is the father of my children and I want them to be able to look up to him… | 但他是我孩子的父亲 我希望他们能向他看齐… |
[34:43] | Sure. | 这很正常 |
[34:45] | No matter what he’s done. | 不管他做了什么 |
[34:50] | Do you understand what I’m saying, C.J.? | 你能理解我说的吗,C.J.? |
[34:54] | I think I do. | 我想我能 |
[34:55] | I think you do too. | 我也这么想 |
[35:00] | Talk to him. | 再和他谈谈 |
[35:01] | Tell him it’s political suicide to run away from Dad. | 告诉他要逃避这个总统爸爸 等于在政治上断了他的后路 |
[35:03] | I know you’re trying to do what’s best for Doug. | 我知道你很为Doug着想 |
[35:05] | Marriage is complicated, C.J. | 婚姻很复杂, C.J. |
[35:07] | This isn’t ideal, but it’s the best thing for my children. | 这么做并不是最妥善的 但至少对我的孩子是最合适的 |
[35:10] | I understand. | 我理解 |
[35:11] | Good. | 这就好 |
[35:12] | But my job is to protect your father. | 但我的工作是维护你父亲 |
[35:15] | My father would want to protect my children too. | 我父亲也会希望保护我的孩子 |
[35:18] | I’m sorry, Liz. We’ve given the date away. | 很抱歉,Liz 我们已经把时间透露出去了 |
[35:21] | Already? You can’t have. | 透露出去了? 这不可能 |
[35:22] | It’s gone. | 一切都定了 |
[35:27] | So, on his own merits, we let the voters decide? | 就是说,一切都要靠他自己 让选民去做主? |
[35:33] | I think it’s best. | 这样是最合适的 |
[35:37] | Yeah. | 没错 |
[35:46] | I need some schedule C’s who might be willing to take some paid leave and hit the road with the candidate. | 我需要C计划表上的那些人 他们愿意拿点钱离开而且肯和候选人一起游行 |
[35:50] | I’ll put together a list. | 我会把这些放在一起列张表 |
[35:52] | The least humiliating public speakers possible. | 尽可能挑言行有分寸的演说家 |
[35:54] | Right. | 明白 |
[35:55] | Hey. | 嘿 |
[35:56] | I’ve cleared the President to fly to Austin on Thursday to announce | 我已经对外公开总统将于周四 抵达奥斯汀 |
[35:59] | that it will be the home of the nation’s first molecular transport lab. | 宣布将在奥斯汀建立国家首个 分子传输实验室 |
[36:02] | He will then fly to Kentucky to campaign for Senator Bowles. | 然后飞抵肯塔基 为参议员Bowles作竞选演说 |
[36:04] | Would Congressman Santos like to join him? | Santos要和他一起吗? |
[36:07] | I’ll have to get back to you on that one. | 我要报复你一下 |
[36:09] | Go to hell. | 想也别想 |
[36:17] | I’m embarrassed. | 我很尴尬 |
[36:19] | I’m embarrassed that my country is content to stand by and let | 我对于我们国家满足于站在一边 |
[36:22] | other countries take the lead when it comes to the key moral question of our time – | 让其他国家来领导感到很窘迫 这是这个时代一个关键的道德问题 |
[36:26] | half a million dead. | 50万人死亡 |
[36:28] | At what number do we say “Enough”? | 究竟要再失去多少人,我们才感到”足够”? |
[36:31] | We’ve called it what it is. | 我们只能用其实质来称呼这场灾难 |
[36:33] | It is genocide. | 种族大屠杀 |
[36:34] | But this is an unprecedented moment in American history | 这也是美国历史上从未有过的 |
[36:37] | where we’ve acknowledged that systematic… | 我们不得不承认自己的体系… |
[36:40] | U.N. delegation just notified State: | 联合国代表团刚刚通报了联邦政府 |
[36:42] | there’s a Security Council negotiation on language for a Sudan resolution. | 安理会各国 正在对一项关于苏丹的决议进行商议 |
[36:46] | Where are the Chinese? | 中方在哪? |
[36:47] | They’re in the room. | 在商议室 |
[36:48] | Threatening to veto? | 威胁要使用否决权? |
[36:49] | Not out of hand, no. | 还没有,没那么糟 |
[36:51] | They’re talking? | 他们是在交谈? |
[36:51] | They are. | 没错,交谈 |
[36:53] | Huh. | |
[36:54] | It’s a start. | 这是个不错的开始 |
[36:55] | Yeah. | 对 |
[36:57] | You want to get some food? | 你要吃点什么吗? |
[36:58] | I can’t. I have a date. | 不了,我还有约会 |
[37:00] | You do not. | 不可能 |
[37:00] | What? I have a date. | 什么?我真的有约会 |
[37:03] | With whom? | 和谁? |
[37:04] | With a guy I used to go out with. | 和那个我一直约会的人 |
[37:06] | Well, I’ll walk out with you. | 好吧,我和你一起出去 |
[37:07] | You go ahead. | 你先走吧 |
[37:07] | I need to talk with the President. | 我还要和总统谈些事情 |
[37:10] | The Doug story is going to break and it’s going to be terrible for him | Doug的事恐怕纸包不住火 对于他来说,这太难接受了 |
[37:13] | and I want him to hear it from me. | 我还是决定先去做些铺垫 |
[37:16] | – He’s ready. – Okay. | – 总统在等你 – 好的 |
[37:17] | – See you tomorrow. – Yeah. | – 明天见 – 明天见 |
[37:44] | Men are like salmon – swimming upstream, | 男人就像是大麻哈鱼 喜欢逆流而上 |
[37:47] | hosing down the riverbed with their indiscriminate seed… | 在河床处留下他们混杂的后代 |
[37:50] | – Indiscriminate seed? – …until they die… | – 混杂的后代? – …直到它们死去… |
[37:51] | – Did you just say indiscriminate seed? – …bloated and spent, belly up in the sun. | – 你是不是说了混杂的后代? – …身体肿胀看上去精疲力尽 肚子朝上被太阳爆晒着 |
[37:55] | Quit sweet talking me, baby. | 别那么亲热地谈论我,宝贝 |
[37:56] | Unless they get taken out by a bear paw in a waterfall as they deserve. | 除非它们在瀑布附近被熊挖出来 就好象它们生来就该这样生活 |
[37:59] | So you’re struggling with trust issues. | 你在和信仰对抗? |
[38:01] | I’m struggling with reality. | 我在和现实做斗争 |
[38:03] | What’s your dessert policy? | 你有什么甜点原则? |
[38:05] | What? | 什么? |
[38:05] | You want me to spare you the monologue? | 你不喜欢我一个人唱独角戏? |
[38:07] | Oh, I really do. | 哦,是不喜欢 |
[38:08] | I figured. | 我明白了 |
[38:09] | I’ll get you some more water. | 我再帮您加点水 |
[38:10] | Oh, gee, I’m sorry. I’ll shut up and leave now. | 哦,天,抱歉 我现在就闭嘴一边去 |
[38:16] | She hates my guts. | 她不喜欢我的直白 |
[38:17] | Yeah, she does – a little bit. | 没错,不过只是一点而已 |
[38:20] | I’m sorry about the other night. | 对于那天晚上我很抱歉 |
[38:23] | Why? | 抱歉什么? |
[38:23] | Because, I was behaving like the kind of type-A, career woman, freak automaton | 我的一切举动都像个职业女性 或者一个怪诞的机器人 |
[38:29] | that I so very much do not want to become. | 我一点都不想变成那样 |
[38:31] | Please. | 行了 |
[38:33] | I wanted to see you… | 我很想见你… |
[38:34] | and I haven’t felt that in a long time and I just got all awkward and antagonistic. | 我已经很久没理会这种感觉了 我只是一味让自己显得笨拙又带刺 |
[38:40] | That’s okay, as long as you didn’t kill our fish. | 都过去了,只要你还不至于害死我们的鱼 |
[38:42] | But don’t get me wrong: | 但别意想我会犯错 |
[38:43] | I don’t want to see you again until after the inauguration. | 在就职典礼结束之前 我可不想再见到你 |
[38:45] | You won’t have to. | 你大可不必 |
[38:46] | I want to do my job. | 我想做好我的工作 |
[38:47] | I want to suck every morsel of meat off this experience before it’s over. | 我想在我把肉吞下去之前 细细品尝每一口肉的滋味 |
[38:50] | Just get something done, will ya? | 干点实际的,可以吗? |
[38:51] | Well, that will come down to what it always comes down to. | 一切顺其自然就好了 |
[38:53] | What’s that? | 什么意思? |
[38:54] | How dirty do my feet have to get without disappearing into the mud | 就为了得到我真正想要的? |
[38:57] | in order to get an inch of what I really want done? | 我要把脚伸进泥泞之中 不难想象我的脚会有多脏 |
[39:00] | It doesn’t sound very heroic. | 听起来不怎么英勇 |
[39:01] | It’s not. | 当然不 |
[39:04] | So what’s the deal? You still creeped out by reporters or what? | 到底怎么了? 你还是讨厌记者或者其他的什么? |
[39:09] | Why? You got another unholy bomb to drop on me? | 什么?你又有另一个肮脏的包袱丢给我? |
[39:11] | Is that what these dates are about? | 你约我出来就是为了不断地让我烦恼? |
[39:12] | No. That was an attempt at a real date the other night. | 当然不是 那天晚上是有个真正适合约会的目的 |
[39:14] | And this? | 和这些麻烦? |
[39:15] | Another attempt. | 是另有目的 |
[39:17] | Hey, if I’d have wanted to publish that story, | 你应该知道,要是我想报道那些消息 |
[39:18] | I wouldn’t have given you the heads-up. | 我是不会事先告诉你内幕的 |
[39:22] | I can’t write that kind of crap anymore. | 我不想再写那些垃圾了 |
[39:26] | I don’t… | 我不知道… |
[39:28] | I don’t even know if I want to be a reporter anymore. | 我甚至不知道自己还想不想当个记者 |
[39:30] | Really? | 真的吗? |
[39:31] | Doug Westin’s libido broke the camel’s back. | Doug Westin的性欲让我砸了饭碗 |
[39:33] | What do you want to do? | 你准备怎么办? |
[39:35] | I don’t know. | 我也不知道 |
[39:38] | Can I ask you something? | 我能问你个问题么? |
[39:39] | Yeah. | 当然 |
[39:42] | Why’d you come here tonight? | 你今晚为什么来? |
[39:44] | Because you made me promise to. | 因为答应你的 |
[39:47] | Why’d you come? | 认真的,到底为什么来? |
[39:52] | I wanted to see you. | 我想见你 |
[40:02] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[40:03] | You going to do a magic trick? | 你要变魔术吗? |
[40:04] | Uh, I’m flying a little blind here. | 呃,也许我接下去要说的会有点盲目 |
[40:09] | I’m halfway through my life and I’m never quite sure | 我的人生快过半了 而每次都要到我把事情搞砸之后 |
[40:11] | if I’m doing anything right until I’m completely done doing it wrong. | 我才能意识到自己到底该不该这么做 |
[40:16] | – Work with it. – So this may come out wrong. | – 那就这样 – 所以这次我也许又要做错 |
[40:17] | I forgive you. | 我不怪你 |
[40:20] | Incrementalism is not an option. | 循序渐进不是我的作风 |
[40:23] | I’m forced into a heroic posture. | 我不得不拿出勇气直接说出来 |
[40:25] | Heroic can be good. | 有勇气是好事 |
[40:26] | It feels funny. | 但很可笑 |
[40:27] | You can do it. | 你可以说了 |
[40:30] | Uh, | 呃… |
[40:32] | we’re both about to fall of a cliff | 我们的事业都将近尾声 |
[40:38] | and I don’t know what I’m going to do with the rest of my life | 我不知道自己接下去的生活该是怎样 |
[40:41] | except I know what I don’t want to do. | 唯一知道的是自己不想干什么 |
[40:45] | And on Inauguration Day you’re going to be released from that glorious prison on Pennsylvania Avenue with… | 在下一任总统就职典礼那天 你就可以在宾夕法尼亚大道上 从那个光荣的牢笼中解放… |
[40:50] | No human skills? | 可不可以不用那么花言巧语? |
[40:52] | Seems to me… | 对我而言… |
[40:52] | I should punch you in the face, but yes. | 我应该狠狠打你一拳 |
[40:55] | That’s what I’m talking about. | 我正在深入主题 |
[40:56] | Keep going. | 继续 |
[40:57] | So, if I’m going to jump off the cliff | 所以,如果我准备不再干那行 |
[41:02] | and you’re going to get pushed off the cliff, | 而你也要被迫离职 |
[41:07] | why don’t we hold hands on the way down? | 接下去的路,我们为什么不携手并进呢? |
[41:19] | Oh, shoot. | 哦~不… |
[41:20] | Turn it off. | 关了它 |
[41:21] | I can’t. | 不行 |
[41:21] | Just for a couple of seconds. | 就几秒钟 |
[41:24] | Oh, my God. | 哦,我的天 |
[41:25] | You okay? | 没事吧? |
[41:26] | Oh, my God. | 哦,天呐 |
[41:27] | – I have to go. – Okay. | – 我得走了 – 好吧 |
[41:28] | – I have to go. – Go, go. | – 我真的要走了 – 走吧,走吧 |
[41:37] | I’ll see you later. | 待会儿见 |
[41:41] | I’ll see you later. | 待会儿见… |
[41:58] | What’s happening? Did Chinese invade? | 什么事? 中国军队入侵了? |
[42:00] | Kazakhstan is stable. | 哈萨克斯坦的局势很稳定 |
[42:01] | What is it? | 那怎么回事? |
[42:01] | Some kind of nuclear accident. | 算是一起核事故 |
[42:03] | Oh, Lord. A weapon? | 哦,天 核武器? |
[42:04] | A power plant. | 是核电站 |
[42:05] | Is it Russia? | 是俄罗斯的? |
[42:05] | San Andreo, California. | 是在加州的圣安德烈 |
[42:08] | They think it might blow up. | 可能是发生了爆炸 |
[42:10] | Transcribed by Soundman for www.twiztv.com. Feedback to sparticus1611@hotmail.com. Sync : whoopss (whoopss1@nate.com) |