时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:50] | THE WEST WING 7×14 TWO WEEKS OUT Original air date: 03/19/2006 | 最后一搏 |
[00:59] | Hey! | 嗨 |
[01:03] | I need your help on Election Day, all right? | 在大选的日子里我需要你们的支持 好吗? |
[01:08] | Hey, thank you. | 嗨 谢谢你们 |
[01:11] | Hey, I need your help on Election Day. | 嗨 在大选的日子里我需要你们的支持 |
[01:44] | Senator. | 议员 |
[01:47] | Senator Vinick has always been opposed to gay marriage. | Vinick议员一直都反对同性恋结婚 |
[01:49] | Always opposed? | 一直反对? |
[01:50] | Still sore? | 还在疼? |
[01:51] | It feels like it’s going to fall off. | 我觉得都要掉下来了 |
[01:53] | Only five thousand more handshakes until the election. | 到大选之日大概也就只有5千多要握手了 |
[01:55] | How could I always be opposed to something I never heard about until a few years ago? | 我怎么能反对一些我几年前才听到的东西? |
[01:58] | She is not helping. | 她不是在帮忙 |
[01:59] | She stabilized our numbers. | 她稳定了我们的票数 |
[02:01] | – Keeping us locked in a tie with two weeks left to go is what I call not helping. – She stopped the slippage in the South. | – 让我们被逼平礼拜 剩下的就是我所谓的不是帮忙 – 她在南部停止了下滑 |
[02:05] | She’s scaring away independents. | 她是在吓跑无党派者 |
[02:08] | We lost independents because a nuclear power plant almost had a meltdown after I said nuclear power was completely safe. | 在我说核能是完全安全之后核能源设备 却完全垮台所以我们才失去了无党派人士 |
[02:15] | That is water under the bridge. | 已经是过去的事了 |
[02:16] | – Now we’ve got to… – If it’s water under the bridge, | – 现在我们必须… – 如果这个是过去的事… |
[02:18] | how come I’m still ducking reporters on the campaign trail? | 我怎么依然在竞选的时候 对记者的提问避而不答? |
[02:20] | Our next event: Small Business Association of Chicago. | 我们下一个活动是 在芝加哥小规模的商业合作 |
[02:24] | And we’ve got to get out of there fast | 还有我们要尽快离开那里 |
[02:25] | because Santos is scheduled to speak right after us. | 因为Santos计划在我们之后要发表演讲 |
[02:27] | That’s happening a lot lately. | 这个最近经常发生 |
[02:27] | This is the way it always happens the last couple of weeks in swing states. | 在最后的几个礼拜里面 对于动荡的州经常会使用这个方法 |
[02:31] | Chicago would like be a lot better if I’d stayed in Florida | 如果我待在佛罗里达 芝加哥会更好些 |
[02:33] | and let the Santos motorcade create all the traffic jams. | 让Santos的摩托车队去制造交通堵塞 |
[02:48] | We don’t have any time for questions. We’re already behind schedule. | 我们没有时间回答问题 我们已经晚了 |
[03:23] | Let’s give a big Chicago welcome to the Republican candidate | 让我们热烈欢迎共和党候选人 |
[03:26] | for President of the United States, Senator Arnold Vinick! | 竞选美国总统的议员Arnold Vinick |
[04:39] | Can you bend all the fingers? | 你能弯曲手指吗? |
[04:40] | Yeah, a little bit. | 一点点 |
[04:41] | Try to extend the fingers straight out. | 试试伸直手指 |
[04:43] | No! | 不行 |
[04:43] | Does it hurt when you do that? | 你那样做会受伤? |
[04:45] | No. It doesn’t hurt me when I do that. | 不 我这样做不会受伤 |
[04:46] | It kills me when I do that. | 只不过想死 |
[04:47] | We really need a set of X-rays. | 我们真的要照个X光 |
[04:49] | No! | 不 |
[04:49] | No, no, no. Doctor, we’ve got a bus-load of reporters following us. | 不 不 不 医生 有很多记者跟着我们 |
[04:53] | We stop for an X-ray the headline’s going to read “Handshake breaks Vinick’s hand.” | 如果我们停下来去照X光 明天的头条就是”握手弄断了Vinick的手” |
[04:56] | I can’t say for sure without an X-ray, | 没有X光片我不敢确定 |
[04:58] | but I think you’ve got a metacarpal fracture and you’re going to need a cast. | 但是我认为你手掌骨折了 你需要绑石膏 |
[05:01] | No cast. | 不需要 |
[05:02] | – Senator, you have to… – I can’t look like an old man falling apart on the campaign trail. | – 议员 你必须… – 我不能像个老人一样在竞选中失败 |
[05:06] | He’s got a crowd waiting for him in Pittsburg, right now. | Pittsburg有一群人正在等他 |
[05:10] | I guess I can realign the bone and give him a cast | 我想我可以帮他接骨 给他绑个石膏 |
[05:14] | that he can take off when he’s in public. | 可以在公共场合脱下来 |
[05:16] | Welcome to politics, doctor. | 欢迎来到政界 医生 |
[05:17] | If anyone asks you what you were doing in the car with me, | 如果有人问你你跟我在车上做什么 |
[05:19] | we were discussing health care policy. | 你回答 我们在讨论医保政策 |
[05:23] | Well actually, I do have some suggestions about Medicare. | 事实上 我对于医疗保险确实有些建议 |
[05:27] | And now it’s my honor to introduce the Democratic Candidate | 现在 我很荣幸的介绍民主党总统候选人 |
[05:30] | for President of the United States, Congressman Matthew Santos! | 国会议员Matthew Santos |
[05:52] | Hey, Chicago. | 嗨 芝加哥 |
[05:54] | We can’t leave him in Ohio for two days. | 在他待在俄亥俄的两天里我们不能离开他 |
[05:55] | We’ve got a full day in Cleveland tomorrow, | 我们明天一整天都要在克里夫兰 |
[05:57] | plus promises to keep in Columbus and Dayton. | 再加上要待在哥伦布和代顿 |
[05:58] | I want him out of Ohio by midnight tomorrow, | 我要他明天半夜会离开俄亥俄 |
[06:00] | and on the set of “Good Morning, Miami,” at 7 am. | 在早晨7点录制”早安 迈阿密” |
[06:03] | Yeah. | 是的 |
[06:04] | Guest lists for the Cleveland event. | 参加克里夫兰活动的客人名单 |
[06:05] | Yeah. Right there. | 是的 在那里 |
[06:06] | Here? | 这里? |
[06:07] | Uh, no. On top of the other pile. | 不是 在文件的顶上 |
[06:09] | Then after a full day in Florida… | 然后一整天在佛罗里达之后… |
[06:11] | Someone named “Bob” for you? | 有个叫Bob的打电话给你 |
[06:15] | Twice in one week. | 一周2次 |
[06:16] | What are your latest numbers in California? | 你在佛罗里达用的最近的号码是多少? |
[06:18] | Are you working for this campaign now? | 你在为这个竞选活动工作? |
[06:19] | You should have new numbers by now. Check, will you? | 你现在应该有新的数字了 不会不去查吧? |
[06:21] | Do we have the new California numbers? | 我们有新的加洲数字吗? |
[06:23] | Yeah. We just got them. | 是的 我们刚刚拿到 |
[06:25] | We’re up by two, but that includes all the leaners. | 我们升了2点 不过包括了所有的动摇不定者 |
[06:27] | So, basically, we’re tied. | 所以…基本上我们平了 |
[06:29] | You’ve got to get Santos out there right now. | 现在你们必须让Santos马上过去 |
[06:30] | Yeah, we’ve got him in Illinois and Pennsylvania today, | 是的 我们让他今天在伊利诺斯州和 宾夕法尼亚州拉票 |
[06:32] | Ohio tomorrow, Florida the next day. | 明天去俄亥俄 后天去佛罗里达 |
[06:34] | California’s the whole ball game. So… | 加利福尼亚是关键的地方 所以… |
[06:36] | Yeah, we’re pushing up the media buy in California | 是的 我们正在加大动用媒体力量 |
[06:39] | but we’ve got to keep the candidate working in the states | 但我们必须让候选人 |
[06:41] | where he can shake enough hands to make a difference. | 在那些可以拉到足够选票的州呆着 这样才能分出胜负 |
[06:42] | – Yeah, but California… – Retail politics doesn’t work in California. | – 是的 但是加利福尼亚… – 零售政策在加利福尼亚不起作用 |
[06:45] | – The place is too big. – I’m not talking about retail politics. | – 这地方太大了 – 我不是在说零售政策 |
[06:47] | TV is the only way to reach those voters. | 电视是接近选民的唯一方法 |
[06:49] | – Exactly. That’s why I’m… – …media buy in… | – 确实 那就是我为什么… – …媒体大宗买进… |
[06:51] | – Josh! – …in Ohio and… | – …在俄亥俄和… |
[06:52] | Josh, Josh, Josh! Listen to me. | Josh Josh Josh 听我说 |
[06:54] | Josh, Josh! | |
[06:56] | You’re getting three hours of sleep a night, | 你每晚睡3小时 |
[06:58] | you’ve got 300 urgent calls to return; | 你有300个急电要回复 |
[07:00] | you’re not thinking straight in that place. | 你在那里思维根本不可能顺畅 |
[07:02] | Now take a deep breath and listen to me for one second! | 现在 深呼吸 听我说 |
[07:06] | Okay, I’m listening. | 好的 我在听 |
[07:07] | You can win this thing if you get him out to California right now. | 如果你现在就让他去加州 就赢了 |
[07:16] | I thought you were going to stay at headquarters. | 我想你会留在总部的 |
[07:18] | I got tired of being ignored. | 我不想被忽视 |
[07:19] | Annie, have you got that thing the doctor gave me? | Annie 拿到医生要给我的东西了吗? |
[07:21] | Uh, yeah. | 是的 |
[07:23] | You know, while you’re out there shaking your hand off, | 你知道 你在外面手都快被人摇下来的同时 |
[07:25] | Matt Santos is running his new game plan and it’s working – | Matt Santos正在运行他新的计划 而且已经开展了 |
[07:27] | criss-crossing the swing states, talking nothing but energy policy. | 往来于动荡的州 除了能源政策什么也没说 |
[07:31] | He throws in a line about the nuclear accident to keep pressure… | 他从能源事故说起 继续舆论的压力… |
[07:33] | We’re going to have Pittsburg all to ourselves this afternoon, | 我们整个下午都要在Pittsburg度过了 |
[07:36] | but we’re going to cross paths with Santos tonight in Philadelphia. | 但是我们会在今晚在费城碰到Santos |
[07:39] | He’s speaking at the Constitution Center just before us. | 在我们之前 他在国家宪法中心演讲 |
[07:41] | Tell Advance no rope lines in Pittsburg or Philly. | 跟Advance说在匹兹堡和 费城我们不和公众见面 |
[07:44] | Okay. | 好的 |
[07:44] | Tell them no one gets to shake the Senator’s hand. | 告诉他们没有人允许握议员的手 |
[07:47] | Not the police chief, not the mayor… | 不是 警察局长 不是市长 |
[07:48] | How are they supposed to enforce that? | 他们怎么去执行? |
[07:49] | Tell Advance to figure it out. | 让Advance去搞定 |
[07:52] | Two weeks out, we’ve lost our lead. | 两个礼拜 我们失去了我们的领先位置 |
[07:53] | We? | 我们? |
[07:54] | You. You have lost your lead and we still don’t have a strategy to get it back. | 你 你失去了领导地位 而我们仍然没有把它抢回来的策略 |
[07:58] | I thought the gay marriage nonsense was the new strategy. | 我认为同性恋结婚这样的胡扯是新的策略 |
[08:01] | You’re opposed to gay marriage. | 你反对同性恋结婚 |
[08:02] | There’s nothing wrong with letting your values voters know that. | 让你的选民知道这个并没有错 |
[08:03] | The federal government has nothing to do with marriage law. Nothing. | 联邦政府无法干涉婚姻法 无法! |
[08:08] | No one should care what I think of gay marriage. | 没有人在意我对于同性恋结婚的看法 |
[08:10] | And no one should care how tall you are and what kind of hair you have, | 也没有人在意你有多高 还有你的头发是什么类型的 |
[08:12] | – but you know they do, so let’s… – I’m not going to win this thing on gay marriage. | – 但是你知道他们是在意的 所以我们… – 我不准备靠同性恋结婚这类事来获胜 |
[08:15] | You don’t know that. | 你不懂 |
[08:16] | Gay marriage is a state issue. It’s not a federal… | 同性恋结婚是州问题 不是联邦… |
[08:19] | Spare me the political science lecture. | 别跟我说什么政治科学演讲 |
[08:20] | Bruno’s 50-state strategy was ridiculous even before the accident. | Bruno的50州策略甚至在 意外之前都是荒谬的 |
[08:23] | Republicans have won 49 states twice in the last 100 years. | 在过去100年里共和党有2次赢得了49个州 |
[08:26] | Yeah, I’ve heard you say that 1000 times on TV. | 是的 我都听你在电视上说过1000遍了 |
[08:28] | So you think nothing’s changed in the last 20 years in the Republican Party? | 所以你认为过去20年共和党 都没有什么变化吗? |
[08:30] | Yeah. People like you have taken over. | 是的 像你一样的人接手过 |
[08:32] | People like me think a win’s a win. | 像我一样的人认为胜利就是胜利 |
[08:33] | 51% is plenty for us. | 51%对我们来说已经足够了 |
[08:36] | People like you want to get into the campaign hall of fame. | 像你一样的人想参与充满声望的竞选当中 |
[08:38] | No one is talking about a 50-state strategy anymore, | 没有人再谈50州策略了 |
[08:41] | not since the nuclear thing, okay? | 不是自从有关核的事 你听到了吗?! |
[08:42] | If you hadn’t wasted the last five months trying to win Massachusetts, | 如果你没有浪费5个月时间 去赢取马萨诸塞州的话 |
[08:45] | – we wouldn’t be behind in the South. – Okay. | – 我们是不会在南部落后的 – 就算你对 |
[08:46] | We had every Southern state before the nuclear accident. | 我们在核意外之前拥有南部的每个州 |
[08:48] | Yeah, but you didn’t have any goodwill there. | 是的 但是我们在那里并没有获得多少好感 |
[08:50] | You were the lesser of two evils. | 你们不过是两个恶魔中较次的那个 |
[08:52] | If they’d actually liked you, they wouldn’t have abandoned you so fast. | 如果他们喜欢你的话 就不会这么快抛弃你了 |
[08:53] | They haven’t abandoned us. | 他们没有抛弃我们 |
[08:54] | They’ve moved us into the Undecided column. | 他们把我们移到了未决定的一栏 |
[08:56] | No one outside of Texas has moved from us to Santos. | 除了德克萨斯州之外 没有人离开我们转向Santos |
[08:58] | Oh, well, Texas only has 34 Electoral Votes, so why worry about that. | 好吧 德克萨斯州只有34张选票 所以为什么我们要担心? |
[09:01] | You think we’re not worried? | 你认为我们不担心吗? |
[09:02] | We were never counting on winning Santos’ home state. Latino registration… | 我们从来不指望能在Santos的老家获胜 拉丁美洲… |
[09:05] | Are you counting on winning Vinick’s home state? | 你指望可以在Vinick老家获胜? |
[09:06] | We’ll bounce back in California. | 加州会回来的 |
[09:08] | When? | 什么时候? |
[09:08] | We’re okay in California. | 加州情况不算太坏 |
[09:09] | We’re only two points behind Santos. | 我们只差Santos2个百分点 |
[09:11] | And that’s after a nuclear accident that scared half the state… | 核意外之后 一半州感到了恐慌… |
[09:13] | Nothing is okay in California. The nuclear accident cost you that state. | 加州情况不妙 核意外让你失去了那个州 |
[09:18] | You don’t have the time or the money to win it back. | 你没有时间和金钱去赢回来了 |
[09:20] | I can’t win back California by going to the right. | 通过正当手段我不能赢回加州 |
[09:23] | For every voter you win me in Alabama, I lose two in California. | 在阿拉巴马州赢一张选票 等于在加州输掉2张 |
[09:28] | That’s why we should be back in the South this week, especially Florida. | 那就是为什么我们这周回到南部 特别是佛罗里达 |
[09:30] | We followed your advice. We spent all last week in the South. | 我们遵循了你的建议 我们上个礼拜都在南部 |
[09:35] | Where did it get us? | 我们得到什么了? |
[09:36] | It stopped the bleeding. | 至少我们的支持率没有继续下滑 |
[09:37] | And if you were still in the South right now talking tax cuts, | 如果你继续留在南部继续谈论削减税收 |
[09:40] | strong on national defense, tough on crime in front of flag-waving crowds, | 强调巩固国防 在爱国人士面前严厉惩治犯罪 |
[09:43] | I wouldn’t have to be on TV trying to talk to the Republican Base | 我就不需要在电视上跟共和党总部沟通了 |
[09:46] | and I could shut up about gay marriage. | 对于同性恋结婚我也可以闭嘴了 |
[09:49] | I’m saying we stay in the South until we get a solid lead. | 我希望我们继续待在南部 直到我们稳定了领先优势 |
[09:53] | Then we spend a week, maybe ten days, | 然后再用一个礼拜 可能是十天 |
[09:54] | closing the deal in Missouri, Pennsylvania and Ohio. | 赢回密苏里宾夕法尼亚和俄亥俄 |
[09:57] | You don’t have to say anything to Alabama voters to lose you California voters. | 你不需要对阿拉巴马选民说任何事情 却输掉加州选民 |
[10:01] | But Senator, you have got to energize the base of the party | 但是议员 你必须要让共和党从地层活跃起来 |
[10:04] | if we’re going to get the turn-out we need to get 51% on Election Day. | 如果我们要赢 就必须在大选之日赢取51%的选票 |
[10:07] | Senator, you can’t pretend… | 议员 你不能假装… |
[10:27] | Yeah. | 进来 |
[10:29] | Can I come in? | 我可以进来吗? |
[10:31] | Just you. | 只有你 |
[10:37] | Does your hand feel better in that thing? | 戴着那个东西感觉好点没有? |
[10:39] | They say replacing Sheila was a sign of weakness. | 他们说更换Sheila显示了我们的虚弱 |
[10:42] | Inside baseball: no one cares except the press. | 在棒球里面 除了报社之外没人在意 |
[10:46] | I shouldn’t have let Sheila quit. | 我不该让Sheila离开 |
[10:48] | She said it would send a message, give the campaign a fresh start. | 她说 那表示给了竞选一个新的开始 |
[10:52] | Sheila was right. | Sheila说的对 |
[10:53] | We should have just put Jane out there in front of the cameras | 我们本应该推举Jane去面对那群记者 |
[10:56] | and let her energize the base and then ignore her. | 让她活跃地层 然后忽视她 |
[11:01] | We are ignoring her. | 我们正在忽视她 |
[11:02] | The press is doing Santos’ work for him. | 报社正在为Santos做事 |
[11:05] | Santos could take a vacation, | Santos应该度个假 |
[11:06] | just let the press keep hammering me on this nuclear thing and he wins. | 只要让报社继续用核问题来抨击我 然后她就赢了 |
[11:11] | The President sends troops into Kazakhstan and that’s still | 总统派兵进驻哈萨克斯坦 |
[11:14] | not enough to get this nuclear power quote out of the news. | 这还不足以让新闻转移注意力 |
[11:19] | When is old news going to be old news? | 什么时候能让旧新闻变成老新闻? |
[11:25] | You know what I really hate about Jane? | 你直到我讨厌Jane哪点吗? |
[11:29] | She’s not always wrong. | 她不是经常犯错 |
[11:35] | We need a new strategy for the last two weeks. | 我们需要一个新的策略 去对付最后的两个礼拜 |
[11:40] | So, what do you got? | 那么你想到什么了? |
[11:43] | I wish I could tell you I have a better idea than Jane. | 但愿我可以告诉你比Jane更好的方案 |
[12:01] | California? | 加州? |
[12:02] | Yeah. | 是的 |
[12:04] | I thought you said we weren’t going to California because it was too big for us. | 我以为你说我们不准备去加州 因为它对于我们来说太大了 |
[12:07] | Yeah, that was then. | 是的,不过那是过去 |
[12:09] | Yeah, that was yesterday. | 那是昨天的事了 |
[12:10] | Right. Then I rethought the whole thing. | 对 我重新考虑了整个事情 |
[12:11] | You rethought it? | 你重新考虑过? |
[12:12] | Yeah, you know, I talked it over. | 是的 我交流过 |
[12:14] | With who? | 和谁? |
[12:15] | Usual suspects, party people, experience campaign types, | 往往是嫌疑犯 政党人士 有经验的竞选类型的人 |
[12:19] | and we agree that because California media is way more expensive than Ohio… | 我们统一那样 因为加州的媒体要比俄亥俄的昂贵的很 |
[12:24] | Excuse me, I’m sorry. Can we have the room, please? | 对不起 对不起 你们可以出去一下吗? |
[12:28] | It’s going to be a lot cheaper for us to campaign in California | 我们在加州搞竞选活动会便宜点 |
[12:31] | and buy TV time in Ohio and Florida. | 在俄亥俄和佛罗里达购买电视时间要便宜 |
[12:33] | You’ll get five minutes for free on every local station all over California | 你有5分钟免费时间 在每家加利福尼亚当地的电视台 |
[12:36] | instead of spending big bucks on one 30-second commercial. | 而不是花费大量的金钱 在一个30秒钟的广告上 |
[12:39] | If we can push up a few more points in California, | 如果我们可以在加州得到多一点的百分点 |
[12:40] | get your lead outside the margin, | 让你稍稍领先 |
[12:42] | the press is going to explode with stories about Vinick losing his home state. | 报社会爆料说Vinick输掉了所属的州 |
[12:45] | It’s going to build momentum for us everywhere else. | 这在各方面都是对我们的动力 |
[12:48] | Yeah, knock Vinick off his game. | 是的 让Vinick输掉比赛 |
[12:49] | He’s off his game! | 他输掉比赛了 |
[12:50] | Now we’ve got to knock him out of the game. | 现在我们必须打到他 让他离开比赛 |
[12:52] | California’s the key. | 加州是关键 |
[12:53] | You get a real lead there, | 你如果在那里真的领先了 |
[12:54] | Vinick’s going to have to give up on his home state, | Vinick就必须放弃他的本州了 |
[12:56] | bet everything on a Southern strategy. | 把一切赌注都放在南方战略上 |
[12:57] | Now, he didn’t play well in the South when he was riding high. | 他过去并没有在南部做的很好 |
[13:00] | He’s sure as hell not going to play any better now that he’s desperate. | 他被认为是不会有更好表现了 既然他那么绝望 |
[13:11] | Okay, get me there tonight. | 好的 让我今晚过去 |
[13:14] | But I want a full schedule of California events tomorrow from breakfast to lights out. | 但是我希望有个加州安排 从明天吃早饭的时候到晚上灯亮 |
[13:19] | It’ll be full. | 会排的很满的 |
[13:30] | When do I go on? | 我什么时候开始 |
[13:31] | They’re going to start you’re intro in a couple of minutes. | 他们过几分钟后会开始介绍你 |
[14:00] | Tell them I’m not going on until he’s out of the building. | 告诉他们我要等到他离开这里才会开始继续 |
[14:03] | I don’t want the cameras covering his press conference while I’m doing my speech. | 我不希望在我演讲的时候 镜头都是他的报社会议 |
[14:06] | I came to Philadelphia to talk to the people of Pennsylvania | 我去费城给宾夕法尼亚人民演讲 |
[14:09] | about what we should be doing for the next four years, | 有关以后4年里面我们会做什么 |
[14:11] | about energy policy, about education. | 有关能源政策 还有教育问题 |
[14:13] | – I want to hear what he has to say. – … about job security, about pension security. | – 我想知道他必须说些什么 – 有关工作保险 有关养老金保险 |
[14:16] | I don’t want to get into a whole political blame game | 我不希望进入一个完全是政治惩罚的年代 |
[14:19] | about what happened at the San Andreo nuclear power plant. | 有关在圣安东尼奥发生的核能工厂 |
[14:21] | Sure you don’t. | 你肯定不会 |
[14:22] | It was an accident. | 那是意外 |
[14:23] | It was exactly the kind of accident that I foresaw when I opposed | 那纯粹是我预料到的意外 |
[14:27] | the building of nuclear power plants in the state of Texas. | 当我在德克萨斯州时候 我反对建造核能工厂的时候 |
[14:29] | Saint Santos. | |
[14:31] | The governor of California and the President responded to the problem immediately and they contained it. | 加州州长和总统对于这些问题立刻做出了反应 其中包括了这个问题 |
[14:38] | He’ll side-step that one. | 他会避免那个的 |
[14:39] | We’re not going to figure out how to run this campaign | 我们不会知道怎样去竞选 |
[14:41] | by watching the Santos campaign. | 通过观看Santos的演讲 |
[14:42] | This is the time you ignore the other guy and sprint to the finish line. | 是时候忽视其他家伙 开始冲刺了 |
[14:45] | You keep pushing your tax cut message… | 你继续推广你的削减税收的演说… |
[14:47] | The press won’t let me. | 报社不会让我… |
[14:49] | They’re not going to let up on this nuclear accident. | 他们不会让我说这个核意外的 |
[14:50] | Forget about the press. | 忘了报社 |
[14:51] | That’s not how I got this far. | 那不是我离这有多远 |
[14:53] | I don’t duck the tough questions. | 我不会躲避这些艰难的问题 |
[14:55] | I say what I think. | 我说我所想的 |
[14:56] | That’s how I get elected. | 那就是我是怎么当选的 |
[14:58] | Look, senator, I love the straight-talk thing, | 听着 议员 我喜欢这样直言不讳 |
[15:00] | but it doesn’t work in every situation. | 但是这不是对于所有情形都有效的 |
[15:01] | That isn’t me out there campaigning now. That’s the problem. | 现在不是我在竞选 问题就在这 |
[15:04] | We’re going to get past the nuclear accident. | 我们准备跳过核意外 |
[15:06] | No, we’re not, not unless we deal with it. | 不 除非我们能够处理它 |
[15:08] | If we open the whole nuclear-power can of worms… | 如果我们公开了整个核能… |
[15:10] | It’s already open – wide open. I’ve got to close it. | 已经公开了 对外公开了 我必须结束它 |
[15:14] | I’ve got to start answering their questions. | 我必须开始回答这个问题了 |
[15:15] | There is no one in this campaign – no one in this party – | 没人在这次竞选中 没人在共和党 |
[15:17] | that thinks you should be talking about nuclear power now. | 那么你就可以说核能源了 |
[15:20] | We insert a new energy paragraph in the stump speech; | 在演讲中我们插入了一个新的能源段落 |
[15:22] | something about safe energy sources – you wouldn’t have to mention nuclear. | 一些有关安全能源来源 你不需要谈及核能 |
[15:24] | – That’s not going to work. – What are you going to do? | – 这些没有用 – 那你准备怎么做? |
[15:26] | Go out there and say you were wrong about nuclear power? | 走出去说你在和能源上做错了? |
[15:28] | No! I still think we need nuclear power. | 不 我还是认为我们需要和能源 |
[15:29] | This is the worst possible time to say that. | 我想这个是最糟糕的时候说这个 |
[15:32] | I should to a “Til They Drop” press conference on the nuclear accident. | 我应该根据这次核事故召开 一个施压会议 |
[15:35] | It’s a big mistake. | 真是一个很大的错误 |
[15:36] | Explain my role in getting the plant built. | 解释我建造工厂的规则 |
[15:38] | Talk about where we go from here on nuclear power. | 说些我们离开这里之后会去哪里 有关核能源的事 |
[15:41] | Answer every reporter’s question. | 回答每个记者的问题 |
[15:43] | Stay at the microphone until I bore them to death. | 一直对着麦克风直到他们听腻为止 |
[15:46] | That’ll look desperate. | 这看上去让人绝望 |
[15:47] | Worked for Andrews in the Senate race when he had that problem with is tax returns. | 要在Andrews遇到退税问题的时候 帮他搞定 |
[15:51] | We’re going to California tomorrow. | 我们明天去加州 |
[15:53] | I’m going to do a press conference in front of the San Andreo nuclear power plant. | 我准备去开一个公开会议 在圣安东尼奥核能工厂前面 |
[15:57] | Okay. My work’s done here. | 好的 我的工作在这里做完了 |
[16:02] | What, you’re quitting? | 什么? 你要退出? |
[16:03] | It’s been fun. Good luck. | 这很有趣 祝你好运 |
[16:04] | Whoa, whoa. Jane, hold on, please. | Jane 等等 |
[16:07] | I can’t afford to get blamed for the mistakes this campaign is making. | 我承受不了竞选问题所带来的责备 |
[16:09] | And we can’t afford to have another story about trouble with the Vinick campaign staff. | 我们也无法承担Vinick竞选小组 所带来的另一个麻烦 |
[16:14] | It would look like we’re completely out of control. | 这样看起来我们好像完全失控了 |
[16:19] | I don’t want you to quit. | 我不想你退出 |
[16:21] | I have a reputation to protect. | 我要保护名声 |
[16:22] | Quitter? | 退出者? |
[16:23] | Better than loser. | 比失败者要好 |
[16:25] | Then don’t lose. | 那么就别输 |
[16:27] | The press conference is a mistake. | 公开会议是一个错误 |
[16:29] | Campaigning in your home state is a mistake. | 在你本州举行竞选是个错误 |
[16:31] | I let them ask me every nuclear question they can think of. | 我让他们询问每一个他们能想到的核问题 |
[16:34] | We get one more round of stories on this and then it’s behind us. | 我们用比一个多的故事反驳他 然后它就在我们后面了 |
[16:38] | It’s a sign of weakness. | 这是虚弱的标志 |
[16:39] | If I win the election you’re going to get all the credit. | 如果我赢了 你会得到所有好评的 |
[16:42] | You came on to a sinking ship and you saved the day. | 你站上了一艘正在沉没的船上 然后在那天获救了 |
[16:46] | If you lose? | 如果输了呢? |
[16:47] | Then you came onto a sinking ship and it sank. | 那么船就沉了 |
[16:51] | It’s not your fault. | 这不是你的错 |
[16:53] | How about we go with my strategy tomorrow, | 明天看看我的策略怎么样 |
[16:55] | and then we go with your strategy for the rest of the campaign. | 然后在剩下的选举活动中再看看你的策略 |
[16:58] | And if you disagree with my strategy? | 如果你不同意我的策略呢? |
[17:00] | Then we’ll fight about it. | 我们将会有关它对抗 |
[17:01] | And we’ll end up doing it your way. | 我们最终会照你的办法做的 |
[17:03] | You’ll win some and you’ll lose some. | 你会获得一点 失去一点 |
[17:06] | They’re ready for you on stage. | 你该上台了 |
[17:36] | The party is going to flood California with surrogate speakers after your day of free media. | 党准备在你做免费媒体之后 用代理演讲者充斥加州 |
[17:40] | Good. | 好的 |
[17:40] | Your speech for San Francisco. | 你在旧金山的演讲 |
[17:43] | Can I get my briefcase? | 可以给我我的公文包吗? |
[17:45] | It’s not in here? | 不在这里吗? |
[17:47] | Uh, no. | 不在 |
[17:48] | Okay, I’ll get it. | 好的 我拿给你 |
[17:51] | The Congressman needs his briefcase. | 国会议员要他的公文包 |
[17:52] | I thought you had it. | 我想在你那里 |
[17:54] | No, I had it in Chicago. You had it in Philadelphia. | 不 在芝加哥的时候我拿着 在费城的时候你拿着 |
[17:56] | No, I had it in Pittsburg and | 不 我在Pittsburg的时候拿着 |
[17:57] | then I put it back in his cabin for the flight to Philly. | 然后在去费城的时候在机舱里还给他了 |
[17:59] | Well, it’s not there now. | 现在不在这里 |
[18:01] | Did we take it to the event in California? | 我们在加州的时候带去了? |
[18:03] | I don’t know. I had my arms full of stuff. | 我不知道 我满手都是资料 |
[18:04] | I don’t remember the briefcase in Philadelphia. | 我不记得在费城时候的公文包了 |
[18:06] | Did you notice the Congressman’s briefcase in Philadelphia? | 你记得议员的公文包 在费城的时候 ? |
[18:09] | No, but the candidate wasn’t carrying anything. | 不 但是竞选者没有带任何东西 |
[18:11] | Does he need it right now? | 他现在需要? |
[18:12] | He asked for it. That means “right now” to me. | 他要公文包 就是说现在 |
[18:13] | We can’t tell him we lost it. | 我们不能跟他说我们弄丢了 |
[18:14] | Well, you were the last one who had it. | 你是最后一个拿着的人 |
[18:15] | He asked you for it. | 他问你要的 |
[18:18] | Tell him we’re searching every compartment. | 告诉他我们正在每个房间找 |
[18:19] | Worst-case scenario: it somehow got slipped into checked baggage, | 最糟糕的情况是 它不知怎样掉进了检查过的包裹里 |
[18:21] | we’ll have it to him by the time we get to the hotel. | 我们在去宾馆之前要交给他 |
[18:44] | Get the L.A. schedule to the press right away so they can schedule news satellite trucks to cover us live. | 给报社洛杉矶的计划 那么他们可以计划新的直播卫星了 |
[18:49] | You get my briefcase? | 找到我的公文包了? |
[18:51] | Not exactly. | 不是 |
[18:53] | I thought Otto had it, he thought it was in here. | 我认为Otto拿着它 他认为公文包在这儿 |
[18:55] | We’re searching under the seats and in the overheads right now. | 我们正在椅子下核头顶上寻找 |
[18:57] | You lost my briefcase? | 你弄丢了我的公文包? |
[19:00] | Worst-case: it got slipped into checked baggage. | 最糟糕的情况是 他掉进了检查过的包裹里 |
[19:02] | We’ll have it for you by the time you get back to your room. | 我们会在你回房间之前找到的 |
[19:04] | Call Philadelphia an retrace our steps. | 打电话去费城 叫他们折回我们的步子 |
[19:06] | Check the cars we used and check the rooms that we were in. | 检查我们乘过的车子 我们住过的房间 |
[19:12] | I left my wallet in that thing. | 我把钱包放在里面了 |
[19:14] | I hope you don’t have any super-secret strategy memos in that briefcase. | 我希望你没有把秘密的策略备忘录放在里面 |
[19:18] | We have super-secret strategy memos? | 我们有秘密备忘录? |
[19:19] | I wish we did. | 我希望我们有 |
[19:21] | Did you schedule this trip because Santos is starting to pull ahead in California? | 你们计划这次旅行是因为 Santos在加州领先了吗? |
[19:24] | That’s not what our polls show. | 我们的民意调查可没这么说 |
[19:25] | MSNBC, right now. | MSNBC报道 |
[19:27] | Did you change your schedule after the Santos campaign decided to go to California tomorrow? | 在Santos决定明天去加州后 你们就改变了计划对吗? |
[19:31] | We didn’t know about the Santos trip when Senator Vinick decided to go to California. | Vinick议员决定去加州的时候 我们并不知道Santos的行程 |
[19:34] | She’s a terrible liar, isn’t she? | 她说的谎真是糟糕,不是吗? |
[19:36] | Team Vinick is in a panic. | Vinick的人限于恐慌之中 |
[19:37] | Senator Vinick is still ahead in the Southern states, | Vinick议员依然在南部的州领先 |
[19:39] | and he’s confident that his home state of California is going to support him as it always has in his Senate campaigns. | 而且他相信他的加州老乡一定会支持他 就像在参议院竞选中支持他一样 |
[19:45] | They’re trying to steal our free media. | 他们准备盗用我们的免费媒体 |
[19:47] | Get the local TV cameras to abandon Santos and cover Vinick. | 让当地的电视节目放弃 Santos而充满了Vinick |
[19:50] | It won’t work if you spin it as Vinick trying to chase Santos out of California. | 在Vinick试图在加州之外追赶Santos的时候 你发表这类意见是没有作用的 |
[19:53] | Then every Vinick story becomes a story about the Santos surge in California? | 然后每个Vinick的故事都变成了 Santos在加州崛起? |
[19:57] | That’s right. | 就是这样 |
[19:59] | I need Lou on the plane. | 叫Lou听电话 |
[20:01] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[20:02] | Yeah? | 什么事? |
[20:03] | Hey, it looks like Vinick is going to follow you out to California tomorrow. | 嗨 好像Vinick准备贯彻你的方案明天去加州 |
[20:06] | How desperate is that? | 真是令人失望 |
[20:07] | They’re trying to steal our free media coverage out there. | 他们准备盗用我们在那边的免费媒体 |
[20:09] | You have to spin it that Vinick is chasing Santos. | 你必须公布说Vinick正在追赶Santos |
[20:12] | Turn every Vinick story into a Santos story. | 让所有Vinick举动都变成和Santos拉上关系 |
[20:15] | Okay, I’ll start working the press cabin now. | 好的 我现在就去 |
[20:18] | Hey, Josh? | 嗨 Josh |
[20:19] | Yeah? | 是的 |
[20:20] | The Congressman’s briefcase: what’s inside there? | 议员的公文包里有什么? |
[20:22] | Road stuff, toothbrush, electric razor, sometimes a wallet. Why? | 道路资料 牙刷 电动剃须刀 或许有钱包 为什么问这个? |
[20:26] | We seem to have lost it and he seems kind of worried. | 我们似乎弄丢了 他看上去有些担心 |
[20:29] | They guy’s running a tie for the Presidency and he’s got two weeks left. | 他在竞选总统 但时间只剩两个星期了 |
[20:32] | You can expect him to look worried once in a while. | 他偶尔忧虑点也是正常的 |
[20:34] | So, there’s nothing bad in there. | 就是说没什么不光彩的在里面 |
[20:36] | Like? | 比如说? |
[20:37] | I don’t know: heroin, porn? | 我不知道 海洛因 色情书之类的? |
[20:39] | No, that’s all mine. | 不 都是我的 |
[20:40] | I’m going to go now. | 我现在要走了 |
[20:45] | San Andreo press conference is set for 12 noon. | 圣安东尼奥公开会议被定为中午12点展开 |
[20:47] | News networks are going to cover it live. | 各大电台会现场直播 |
[20:49] | You’ve got two choices for the evening event: San Diego and L.A. | 你晚上有两个选择 去圣地亚哥还是去洛杉矶 |
[20:52] | The problem with the L.A. thing is that Santos is going to be there. | 不过Santos也准备去洛杉矶 |
[20:55] | I thought he was going to be in Florida tomorrow. | 我以为他明天会去佛罗里达 |
[20:57] | He put out a press advisory about a half hour ago. | 他半个小时之前推出了一个公开咨询 |
[20:59] | They’re going to do a California swing tomorrow: | 他们继加州之后 |
[21:01] | San Francisco, San Jose, Fresno and L.A. | 明天去旧金山 圣何塞 弗雷斯诺 和洛杉矶 |
[21:03] | He thinks he can take my state away from me in a day. | 他认为他能够在一天里取代我的位置 |
[21:06] | The mayor’s going to introduce Santos and the L.A. event, so San Diego probably. | 市长准备介绍Santos和洛杉矶事件 可能还有圣地亚哥 |
[21:10] | No. L.A. | 不 还是洛杉矶 |
[21:11] | I want to get in his face. | 我想和他进行正面对抗 |
[21:14] | I want Santos to see if he’s going to take California, | 我想让Santos知道他是不可能接手加州的 |
[21:16] | he’s going to have to rip it out of my hands. | 这可是我手心的肉 |
[21:18] | The story’s going to be Vinick chases Santos to California. | 他们明天一定会扬言 vinick回到加洲挑战santos |
[21:20] | If he skips Florida tomorrow, then that’s where we should be. | 要是他明天跳过佛罗里达 那就应该让我们去拿下 |
[21:23] | We already announced the trip. We can’t change our public schedule again. | 我们已经公开宣布了行程 我们不能再次变卦 |
[21:25] | No, but we can get out of California as quick as we can. | 不用变卦 但我们可以尽快离开加洲 |
[21:27] | No. | 不 |
[21:28] | We could have Florida all to ourselves. We could… | 我们可以拿下佛罗里达 我们可以… |
[21:30] | If Santos takes California, game over. | 要是santos拿下了加洲 一切就都完了 |
[21:33] | A Republican can win the Presidency without California. | 没有加洲 共和党也照样可以当选总统 |
[21:35] | And a Democrat can’t. | 但民主党不行 |
[21:37] | This isn’t some sentimental, home-state thing. | 这不是家族内部斗争的事情 |
[21:39] | This is about winning. | 事关胜负 |
[21:41] | I don’t have a 50-state strategy anymore. | 我已经失去了拿下50个州的优势 |
[21:43] | I have a one-state strategy: the one state that has everything – | 我只要这一个州 |
[21:46] | big cities, small towns, mountains, deserts, | 这个州拥有大城市,小城镇,有山又有沙漠 |
[21:49] | farms, factories, fishermen, surfers, | 还有农场,工厂,渔夫和冲浪手 |
[21:53] | all races, all religions, gay, straight – | 各种种族,宗教信仰 同性恋等等一切的一切 |
[21:56] | everything this country has. | 所有这个国家所拥有的东西 |
[21:58] | There’s more real America in California than anywhere else. | 加洲是最能体现美国本质的地方 |
[22:02] | If I can win California, I can win the Country. | 我可以赢加洲,可以赢得这个国家 |
[22:04] | That’s a nice speech, just don’t say it into any microphones | 说的很激动人心 只是别对任何话筒高呼 |
[22:07] | because everyone else in the 49 other states thinks California is a giant psycho ward. | 因为其他49个州的人都觉得 加州是个巨大的精神病房 |
[22:10] | California hasn’t been competitive in a Presidential race in 25 years. | 加州在25年前就已经在竞选中失去威慑力了 |
[22:15] | They don’t know how to campaign there. I do. | 他们根本不知道如何在那竞选 我知道 |
[22:17] | All right, let’s just get out there and see how it goes. | 好吧,我们就离开一下看看情况会如何发展 |
[22:19] | Okay. Just please, forget about the power plant. | 好吧 求你,忘了那个核发电站 |
[22:22] | Go home to Santa Paola. | 回到santa paola |
[22:23] | Remind the country, especially the South, of your hometown roots in a farming community. | 告诉这个国家尤其是南方 你的家乡直根于乡村 |
[22:27] | I can’t go to California without dealing with the nuclear accident. | 到了加州不谈那次意外不可能的 |
[22:30] | Take questions about the nuclear thing but in your hometown, | 接受关于核事故的采访 但在你的家乡 |
[22:33] | surrounded by friends where you’ll actually get some applause | 那里都是你的朋友 会为你喝彩加油 |
[22:35] | instead of standing in front of a radioactive danger zone where property values have just collapsed | 这不同于站在满是敌意的州里 你的价值早已崩溃 |
[22:39] | and everyone’s ready to vote for anyone but Vinick. | 没有人会选vinick |
[22:41] | I’ve got to be there to show them that I believe we’ve contained the leak, | 我必须到那里去告诉他们 我们已经控制了泄露 |
[22:45] | that it’s safe, that the clean-up is working. | 危险已经消失 清理工作正在进行 |
[22:48] | Standing in front of the power plant says the accident was my fault. Blame me. | 在核电站面前高呼这是我的错 都怪我 |
[22:52] | We’ll talk about Florida tomorrow night. | 明晚我们再谈佛罗里达 |
[22:53] | If you’re right, then they’ll be chasing me out of California by then. | 要是你是对的 他们就会识趣地离开加州在其他州超赶我 |
[22:57] | Annie, I want an updated briefing book on the nuclear clean-up, tomorrow morning on the plane. | annie 明早在飞机上给我 一份有关核清理的最新简报 |
[23:02] | Okay. | 好 |
[23:11] | Is your hand any better? | 手怎么样了? |
[23:12] | Do I sound crazy to you? | 我是不是很不可理喻? |
[23:14] | It’s been a tough couple of weeks. | 这几个星期太难熬了 |
[23:16] | Tough? I’ve been in tough campaigns before. | 难熬? 我早已身陷这个竞选之中了 |
[23:19] | This is way beyond tough. This is a nightmare. | 远不止难熬 这简直是噩梦 |
[23:23] | That nuclear power plant works perfectly for 24 years. | 这个核电站24年来一直运作地很正常 |
[23:25] | The race was going to tighten by now, even without that accident. | 即使没有那场事故 竞选到了最后关头也是很紧张的 |
[23:28] | It wasn’t going to get this tight. | 但不会如此紧张 |
[23:30] | We were heading for at least a five-point win and | 至少我们还会领先5点 |
[23:32] | California was going to give us a big Electoral College win. | 而加州也会给我们最大的支持喝彩 |
[23:36] | We had this thing locked. | 我们却搞砸了 |
[23:38] | We still do. | 我们依然如此 |
[23:40] | Now you’re starting to sound crazy. | 现在是你听上去不可理喻了 |
[23:44] | That isn’t mine. | 这不是我的 |
[23:45] | I know. It belongs to Matt Santos. | 我知道 是matt santos的 |
[23:48] | Yeah, very funny. | 哦,很好笑 |
[23:49] | I’m not kidding. | 我可没开玩笑 |
[23:51] | I don’t know this joke. What am I supposed to say now? | 我没听过这笑话 接下来我该怎么应和你? |
[23:53] | It’s not a joke. | 这不是笑话 |
[23:54] | That’s Matt Santos’ briefcase. | 这是matt santos的公文包 |
[23:56] | Yeah. | 没错 |
[23:57] | And how did you get it? You win it in a raffle? | 你怎么搞到的? 抽奖抽到的? |
[23:59] | I was the last one out of the holding room tonight. | 我是今晚最后一个离开储藏室的 |
[24:01] | I saw it, I thought it was one of ours. There was no name on it. I opened it up… | 我看到了,以为是我们的 那上面没有名字,我就打开看了… |
[24:05] | That’s really Matt Santos’ briefcase? | 这真是matt santos的? |
[24:07] | Yeah. | 对 |
[24:08] | I don’t want to know any more about this. | 我什么都不想知道了 |
[24:12] | I want to be able to say I had nothing to do with this. | 我希望自己可以说我什么都没看过 |
[24:14] | I didn’t know anything about it. | 我什么也不知道 |
[24:19] | You stole Matt Santos’ briefcase? | 你偷了matt santos的公文包? |
[24:21] | I didn’t steal it; I found it. | 我不是偷只是发现了 |
[24:23] | But you didn’t give it back. | 但你没有还回去 |
[24:25] | You could have gotten it back to him easily. | 还回去对你来说很简单 |
[24:27] | You could have given it to the Secret Service. | 你可以把它交给特工 |
[24:29] | I didn’t think of that. | 我没想到 |
[24:30] | Yes, you did. | 不,你想到过 |
[24:32] | And you would have done it in a second unless you found something in there, something that would hurt Santos. | 你本来可以马上交出去 除非你发现了一些可以攻击santos的东西 |
[24:38] | You just told me you didn’t want to know anymore about it. | 你刚告诉我你什么都不想知道 |
[24:44] | Who else knows about this? | 还有谁知道? |
[24:46] | No one. | 没了 |
[24:53] | It could make you President. | 它可以帮你当上总统 |
[25:10] | I need to talk to a lawyer. I need to think this through. | 我要和律师谈谈 我要好好想想 |
[25:14] | As soon as that information comes out – the Santos campaign: it’s over. | 只要那消息一传出去 santos就结束了 |
[25:20] | So, you do not have to go to California tomorrow | 明天你就不用去加州 |
[25:23] | and do that painful press conference which is going to play | 也用不着接受伤人的新闻采访 |
[25:26] | as if that nuclear accident was somehow your fault. | 表现的好象这次核事故是你的错一样 |
[25:28] | And you do not have to draw any more attention to the fact that | 你也不用再担心有人会注意 |
[25:31] | your polls aren’t looking so good right now. | 你的支持率并不具有竞争力 |
[25:33] | And you can keep campaigning in the South and Midwest – | 你可以继续在南部和中西部拉票 |
[25:36] | look like you’re driving your own train instead of jumping on Santos’ train. | 让人觉得你在继续自己的计划 而不是被santos牵着鼻子走 |
[25:41] | That briefcase can kill us. | 这公文包会毁了我们 |
[25:43] | It’s got a sort of a journal in there. | 貌似是分类帐目 |
[25:44] | I said don’t tell me. | 我说过别告诉我 |
[25:46] | It’s a day-planner. | 是每日计划 |
[25:47] | It has notes about meetings, people, lots of stuff that can be embarrassing – | 记录一些会议,人事 还有许多足以制造尴尬的事 |
[25:51] | what he really thinks about the Vice President, | 比如他对于副总统的真正看法 |
[25:53] | how bad a campaigner Leo McGarry is. | leo mcgarry是个多早糟的竞选者 |
[25:56] | And he also has a checkbook in there. | 还有一本帐簿 |
[25:58] | It’s a strange one. It just says “M. Santos.” | 很奇怪的帐簿 只写着”M.Santos” |
[26:03] | It’s not a joint account with the wife, there’s no address on the checks. | 这帐簿不是和他妻子一起开的 帐单上没有地址 |
[26:06] | He just uses it for ATM withdrawals and one check each month, same amount, | 他只是每月用一次 在ATM上取一定数量的现金 |
[26:11] | made out to someone named Anita Morales. | 然后给一个叫anita morales的家伙 |
[26:16] | There is an Anita Morales – 29 years old, never married, one child, seven-year old girl – | 经证实,是有个叫anita morales的 29岁,未婚,有一个7岁大的女儿 |
[26:24] | she’s a clerk in Houston, City Hall, hired nine years ago by Mayor Matt Santos. | 她是个在休斯顿市政厅工作的小职员 为市长matt santos干了9年 |
[26:34] | Come on, we’ve all heard the rumors about Matt Santos. | 行了,谁都听过他的流言蜚语 |
[26:38] | There are rumors about all of us. | 谁都会有流言蜚语 |
[26:39] | Do you have a checkbook like that? | 你会有那样的帐簿吗? |
[26:41] | Child support payments for a kid nobody knows about? | 一本给一名不为人知的孩子的帐簿? |
[26:43] | Hush money for an affair? | 用钱来封锁消息? |
[26:45] | You have to give back that briefcase. | 你得把这个包还回去 |
[26:46] | If this comes out he’s going to have to take a DNA test. | 要是这消息传了出去 他就不得不去做DNA鉴定 |
[26:49] | He’s going to have to prove that he did not have an affair, | 他必须证明自己没有婚外情 |
[26:52] | or a child, with a woman he’s been making monthly payments to for who knows how long. | 或者私生子,以至于他不得不每月 都送钱去封那女人的口 |
[26:57] | We can’t do this. | 我们不能这么做 |
[27:00] | I can’t do it. | 我不能 |
[27:01] | I work for you. | 我为你工作 |
[27:02] | I am not going to do anything you do not want me to do. | 我不会做任何你不想我做的事 |
[27:05] | Give this thing to the Secret Service right now. And tell them… | |
[27:09] | I don’t know you tell them but you just give it to them. | 我不知道你会告诉他们什么 但你必须把它交出去, |
[27:11] | Just think about what other secrets this guy might have. | 想想这家伙还会有多少其他的秘密 |
[27:18] | This may be the tip of the iceberg about what we don’t know about him. | 我们知道的也许这只是冰山一角 |
[27:25] | Look: how about I keep the briefcase, we sleep on it, and we’ll talk about it tomorrow. | 听着,这么办,我来保管公事包 晚上躺着想想怎么处理,明早我们再讨论 |
[27:41] | Just tell me what you want me to do, Senator. | 告诉我该怎么做就好了,参议员 |
[27:47] | Keep it. | 留着 |
[28:09] | Oh, yeah, we had a huge crowd in San Francisco this morning. | 没错,今天早上旧金山 有大批欢迎我们的人群 |
[28:11] | The Silicon Valley event was bigger than we anticipated. | 这次硅谷之行比我们想的要隆重的多 |
[28:14] | Right now, Fresno’s going nuts for him. California loves our guy. | 直到现在 弗雷斯诺还在为他疯狂 加州喜欢我们的人 |
[28:17] | The news networks aren’t giving you any live coverage yet. | 但各大媒体不会为你们做现场报道 |
[28:19] | You got enough cameras out there? | 摄象机够多吗? |
[28:21] | Yeah, we’ve got all the local TV stations. | 够,所有的地方电视台都来了 |
[28:22] | We are going to rule the 6 o’clock news all over the state. | 加州6点的整点新闻会是我们天下 |
[28:39] | Still no word on the briefcase? | 还是没找到公文包? |
[28:41] | It wasn’t in the checked baggage. | 不在行李箱里 |
[28:42] | Did you tell the Congressman yet? | 告诉议员了吗? |
[28:43] | I’m gonna wait until he asks. | 我会憋到他问我 |
[28:44] | That’s very brave. | 很勇敢 |
[28:45] | Hey, if he’s not worried about it, why remind him? | 嘿,要是他不担心了 干嘛还提醒他? |
[28:48] | In a surprise move, the Vinick campaign followed the Santos campaign to California today | 让人惊讶的是,vinick的竞选行程 竟然紧接着santos来到了加州 |
[28:52] | and we’re going to go to live coverage from our sister station, KRAC, in San Andreo, | 下面我们就为您连接 来自圣安德烈KRAC电台的现场直播 |
[28:57] | where Senator Arnold Vinick… | 参议员arnold vinick… |
[28:59] | Call me from L.A. | 从洛杉矶打回来 |
[29:00] | Hey, Bram’s on line two. He says it’s urgent. | 嘿,bram在2号线 他说有急事 |
[29:02] | Hang on, Lou. | 等等,lou |
[29:03] | Yeah, Bram. | 什么事,bram |
[29:05] | They cut to Vinick? | 他们直播vinick? |
[29:07] | Lou, Fresno TV is going live with Vinick. Get Santos onto the stage right now. | lou,弗雷斯诺的电台会直播vinick 让santos回台上去 |
[29:12] | Tell the Fresno camera crews they have to stay live with the guy who actually came to Fresno. | 让弗雷斯诺的电台直播 真正到来的这位 |
[29:17] | Good afternoon. | 下午好 |
[29:18] | I just finished a complete inspection tour of the facility, | 我刚刚完整地巡视了这个核电站 |
[29:22] | – and I’m here to report to the people of California… – Maybe not. | 我现在在这里告诉加州的同胞们… 也许不用了 |
[29:25] | … that the clean-up is ahead of schedule, and the radiation levels in and around the plant are back to normal… | 清理工作已经提前完成 其内部及周围的辐射危险级别已经恢复正常 |
[29:31] | Do you think it’s safe to live near this plant? | 你觉得在其周围居住是安全的吗? |
[29:34] | Yes, I do. | 是的 |
[29:36] | I just spent two hours inside the plant, so I’m convinced it’s safe. | 我刚刚在里面待了两个小时 我相信这里很安全 |
[29:40] | Completely safe? | 完全安全? |
[29:42] | Obviously, I never should have said that nuclear power is completely safe. | 显然,我从未说过核电站是完全安全的 |
[29:47] | I said that, in the heat of a debate, nothing is completely safe. | 我只是说,有争议的东西是不会完全安全的 |
[29:51] | We’re never going to figure out how to make driving a car completely safe, | 就好象我们不可能让驾车毫无隐患 |
[29:54] | but Californians are still going to do it every day. | 但加州还是每天被大量汽车充斥着 |
[29:58] | Living near a nuclear power plant is a lot safer than driving a car. | 住在核电站旁远比驾车要安全的多 |
[30:03] | The top priority in every nuclear power plant has to be safety. | 每个核电站的重中之重就是安全 |
[30:07] | This is one area where I think we need more federal regulation | 我只是觉得这地方 需要更完善的政府监管 |
[30:10] | and more strictly enforced safety standards. | 以及更为严格执行的安全标准 |
[30:13] | Are you blaming the Bartlet Administration for failing to…? | 你是在指责bartlet政府没有… |
[30:15] | I’m not blaming anyone. | 我没有怪罪任何人 |
[30:16] | President Bartlet did everything he could within current law to maintain safety at these plants. | bartlet总统已经尽力消除 这些核电站的安全隐患 |
[30:21] | When I’m President, I’m going to strengthen those safety regulations. | 等我当上了总统 我会进一步强化这些条例 |
[30:25] | That wasn’t your position when this plant was being built. | 当这些核电站在建的时候 你的立场可不是这样的 |
[30:28] | You wrote several letters to the Nuclear Regulatory Commission, | 你写了好几封信给核监管委员会 |
[30:31] | urging them to expedite the approval of this plant. | 催促他们加快对于这个核电站的审批 |
[30:34] | Yes, I did. | 对,没错 |
[30:35] | And in one of those letters, you complained the project was being delayed | 而且在其中的一封信中 你抱怨这个核电站项目被拖延了 |
[30:38] | because of what you called “burdensome regulations.” | 而你指出其原因就在于 “烦琐的监管制度” |
[30:40] | I was very eager to make sure that California had an adequate supply of low-cost electricity. | 因为我迫切希望加州居民 能用上足够的廉价电力 |
[30:47] | You know the governor and most of the states Congressional Delegation supported the building of the plant. | 而且州长还有大多数国会代表团 都支持这个项目 |
[30:51] | But no one pushed harder than you did, Senator. | 但没人比你更急不可耐,参议员 |
[30:54] | I don’t do anything half-heartedly. | 我从不半心半意做事 |
[30:58] | So you no longer think regulation of nuclear power plants is burdensome? | 就是说你不再认为 核电站的监管是繁琐无谓的? |
[31:02] | No. | 不认为 |
[31:03] | Do you regret saying it was? | 你为曾经说是而后悔吗? |
[31:04] | I wouldn’t write that letter today. | 要是在当下 我不会写那封信 |
[31:06] | Do you regret it? | 你后悔吗? |
[31:07] | That was 25 years ago. We’ve all learned a lot since then. | 那是25年前的事了 我们一直在学习成长 |
[31:10] | Do you regret writing the letter, Senator? | 你到底后不后悔,参议员先生? |
[31:14] | Yes. Next question. | 是的 下一个问题 |
[31:17] | What the hell is he doing? | 他这是在干什么?! |
[31:18] | Trying to get it behind him. | 想和这次事故做个了断 |
[31:20] | If he does a “till-they-drop” press conference, it just might work. | 要是他选择让他们问个彻底 可能会有效果 |
[31:23] | If he does a “Don’t worry, be happy” routine, he’s going to look nuts. | 要是他还是像以前一样盲目乐观 别人会觉得他像个白痴 |
[31:26] | You’re not going to get that lucky. | 你们没那么好的运气 |
[31:27] | He’s starting to sound like the straight-talking Arnie again. | 他又开始做回那个有话直说的自己了 |
[31:30] | If this works… | 如果这样有效… |
[31:31] | It worked for Andrews in the Senate race. He got the tax thing behind him. | 安德鲁斯就是这样在参议员竞选中获胜的 他把税收问题了结了 |
[31:35] | And he’s killing your free media day in California. | 而且他至少把你在加州的免费媒体日毁了 |
[31:38] | Yeah, whose bright idea was that? I forget. | 是啊~不知道是谁的好主意~我倒忘了 |
[31:41] | Vinick’s got to wrap this thing up. | vinick会把这事故了结的 |
[31:43] | How long has he been on? | 他上电视多久了? |
[31:44] | Over an hour doesn’t look like he’ll be quitting anytime soon. | 一个小时多了 看上去不像要结束的样子 |
[31:46] | Yeah, he’s cutting into our press coverage. Look at that. | 他硬要插进我们的新闻发布会 瞧 |
[31:49] | Yeah, we’ll do it now. | 好,我们现在就回去 |
[31:53] | Josh wants us to go back inside, set up a quick press conference, | josh要我们折回 再来场简单的记者招待会 |
[31:56] | see if we can get some cameras turned on you. | 看是不是可以让你在电视上露露面 |
[31:58] | Dueling press conferences? No. | 再来一次? 不 |
[32:00] | Hey, I’d love to tell you I had a better idea. | 嘿,我也很想告诉你我有更好的主意 |
[32:03] | Fresno! I love you guys. | 弗雷斯诺!!! 我太爱你们了~~~ |
[32:07] | Thanks for coming out. | 谢谢出来送我 谢谢 |
[32:10] | Come on inside. | 快进来~~~ |
[32:11] | We’re going to talk some more. | 我们还要再多聊聊 |
[32:16] | But no one’s saying we should get rid of all those gas stations. | 但没人会要求放弃所有的加油站 |
[32:19] | I think the American people understand… | 我相信美国市民理解… |
[32:21] | Two hours and 48 minutes. | 已经2小时48分钟了 |
[32:23] | He’s just getting warmed up. | 这只不过是热身 |
[32:25] | Why didn’t you fight him on this? You know this is a bad idea. | 为什么你不阻止他? 你知道这不是个好主意 |
[32:30] | I think he may have a better feel for California politics than we do. | 我相信他比我们更了解加州的政治 |
[32:33] | Are you drinking the Vinick kool-aid this morning? | vinick对你下药了? |
[32:36] | If he goes on much longer he’s going to turn this into a mini-series. | 要是他还不闭嘴 没人会完整播报这段长篇大论的 |
[32:38] | The people who are most worried about Global Warming… | 那些最为担心全球变暖的人… |
[32:41] | There’s no way we’re going to be able to spin this. | 我们可不会去播放这些 |
[32:44] | …are the same people who are most opposed to the use of nuclear power. | 就是那些最反对使用核发电的人 |
[32:48] | Over a 26-year career in public service, | 在公共服务业任职26年中 |
[32:50] | I’d probably do a lot of things differently if I could do them over again. | 要是可以回头 我会做出很多不同的决定 |
[32:55] | But my job is to make the best decision I can with the information I have at the time. | 但是 我的职责只允许我在那个时间 用手中的那些资料作最好的决策 |
[33:01] | You know, if you do something for 26 years you should keep getting better at it. | 你们都明白 如果26年来从事同一个职业 你总是越干越好 |
[33:05] | I’m better than I used to be because I have better information. | 我不断超越过去的自己 因为我有更多的信息 |
[33:08] | I have more experience making tough decisions. | 应对艰难的抉择 我有了更多的经验 |
[33:12] | And I have more mature judgment. | 我的判断力也日益成熟 |
[33:14] | And that’s what I think this country needs now, more than ever. | 而这些正是这个国家这个时刻最需要的 |
[33:17] | We have troops on the ground in Kazakhstan and more on the way. | 我们有军队已经进入了哈萨克 而更多的还在途中 |
[33:20] | That’s the choice that President Bartlet made to try and keep Russia and China from slipping into war there. | 这是bartlet总统做出的艰难决策 一切都是为了阻止中俄发动战争 |
[33:27] | Now, the next President is going to have to take over that situation the first hour on the job. | 而下一任总统一上台就要接手 这种局势 |
[33:35] | That’s the most important issue that’s facing the country in this campaign. | 这才是这次竞选中最为重要的议题 |
[33:39] | Not who said what about nuclear power 25 years ago. | 而不是谁在25年前支持了核电站的建设 |
[33:42] | Or did one of us use too strong a word in a debate. | 也不是我们中的哪个人 在辩论中用了过激的词 |
[33:45] | The real decision American people are going to have to make is | 美国人民真正要做出抉择的是 |
[33:49] | who do they want as their next Commander-In-Chief. | 他们希望谁成为他们下一任的总指挥官 |
[33:55] | All right, next question. | 好了,下一个问题 |
[34:03] | Anyone? | 没有人吗? |
[34:06] | Ellen? | |
[34:08] | Nope. | 没了 |
[34:11] | Thank you. Thank you very much. | 谢谢 非常感谢 |
[34:16] | Damn, this guy is good. | 这家伙决了 |
[34:18] | Son of a bitch. | 他妈的,真是决了 |
[34:24] | Jane, Speaker Haffley on line two. | jane, haffley在2号线 |
[34:27] | Yes, Mr. Speaker. | 你好,请说 |
[34:34] | What’s the word on the street? | 反响如何? |
[34:36] | The Speaker thinks the press conference was brilliant. | 人们认为这次发布会很棒? |
[34:38] | I hope you took full credit. | 我希望你说话负责任 |
[34:40] | MSNBC wants someone from the campaign to go live right now. | MSNBC需要一名竞选相关人员去现场直播 |
[34:44] | I can do it. | 我去 |
[34:49] | Senator. | 参议员 |
[34:50] | How are we doing on time? | 我们做得怎么样? |
[34:51] | Not bad; about 20 minutes late. | …还不坏 晚了20分钟 |
[34:53] | Better for us, Santos will be out of the building by the time we get there. | 幸运的是,我们到那的时候 santos正好会离开 |
[34:55] | – Bob. – Yeah? | 什么事? |
[34:57] | Tell the Secret Service I want to get five minutes with Santos before he leaves. | 和联邦情报局说一声 在santos离开之前我想和他谈谈 |
[35:01] | Alone. | 单独谈 |
[35:03] | Are you serious? | 你认真的? 他们会想知道内幕 |
[35:03] | They’re going to want to know what it’s about. | 告诉他们好了… |
[35:05] | Just tell them… | 这是私事 |
[35:07] | it’s personal. | 是的,larry |
[35:10] | Yes, Larry. | 我觉得他把这事解决了 |
[35:11] | I think he has put this issue behind him. | |
[35:13] | He answered every questions, didn’t duck the tough ones. | 他回答了所有的问题 没有逃避任何一个 |
[35:17] | Yeah? | 你好? |
[35:18] | What’s this about your guy wanting a meeting with Santos at the L.A. thing? | 你的人要和santos会面说L.A.的事? |
[35:21] | Hi, Josh. | 嗨, Josh |
[35:22] | What’s this about? | 要谈什么? |
[35:22] | First I’ve heard about it. | 我还是刚知道 |
[35:23] | The message we got said it’s something personal. | 我们得到的信息是私人的事 |
[35:25] | What’s that supposed to mean? | 什么意思? |
[35:26] | Maybe it’s personal. | 就是私人的事 |
[35:27] | I’m not sending my guy to a meeting if we don’t know what it’s about. | 如果我们不知道详情 我们是不会让他们会面的 |
[35:30] | Good. | 很好 |
[35:30] | What do you mean, good? | 很好是什么意思? |
[35:31] | I don’t like sending my guy into a meeting I know nothing about. | 我也不喜欢在不知情的情况下 把我的人送去会面 |
[35:34] | If you could stop it, I’d owe you one. | 要是你能阻止 就算我欠你个人情 |
[35:37] | Yeah. | 进来 |
[35:40] | I just got a call from Josh. | 我刚接到Josh的电话 |
[35:41] | He wanted to know what the Santos meeting was about. | 他要知道你和santos会面的具体内容 |
[35:43] | What’d you tell him? | 你怎么说的? |
[35:44] | The truth: that it was the first I’d heard of it. | 我只是说事实 我也是刚刚接到的消息 |
[35:47] | You think Santos will show up? | 你觉得santos会来吗? |
[35:49] | Not if Josh has anything to say about it. | 要是Josh出来干涉 估计他就不会来了 |
[35:52] | I want to give him back his briefcase. | 我想把他的公文包还给他 |
[35:54] | I figured. | 我猜到了 |
[35:55] | “When in doubt, do the right thing.” | “当你疑惑时,做正确的事” |
[35:58] | “The rest of the time, get away with whatever you can.” | “剩下的日子里 尽一切可能逃避惩罚” |
[36:01] | Who said that? | 谁说的呢? |
[36:01] | It must have been one of those Louisiana governors. | 一定是某个路易斯安那州长说的 |
[36:03] | Yeah, probably from his jail cell. | 是啊,估计是从哪个牢房里说出的 |
[36:07] | You know, Santos never got the vetting a front-runner gets. | 你知道的,santos从没得到过 领先者应得的调查 |
[36:10] | He was never supposed to get the nomination. | 从没人想到他也有当上总统的那天 |
[36:12] | The press gave him a free ride in the primaries. | 在初选的时候 新闻界助了他一臂之力 |
[36:15] | Until now, he’s been running way behind you, | 直到现在,他还是远远落后于你 |
[36:18] | so the press still hasn’t done their digging on him. | 所以报界没什么兴趣去挖他的老底 |
[36:20] | But they will now. | 但现在不同了 |
[36:21] | So, it really doesn’t matter what you do with that briefcase. | 其实你怎么处理这个公文包 真的不再重要了 |
[36:25] | It’s going to come out. | 一切都会水落石出的 |
[36:26] | If it comes out while Santos is in the White House… | 要是这些消息在santos入住白宫后 散播了出来… |
[36:29] | I don’t know what happens. All hell will break loose. | 我猜不到会是什么结局 他邪恶的本性就会完全暴露 |
[36:32] | He wouldn’t be the first President with an illegitimate child. | 他不可能是第一个 有个私生子还能当总统的人 |
[36:35] | How far do you think he’s going to get with that defense? | 你觉得他要多久才能为自己辩解清楚? |
[36:37] | You know what, if I agreed with a candidate on the issues, | 你知道吗 要是我很赞赏某个候选人的观点 |
[36:40] | and I was ready to vote for him, and something like this came out about him, | 于是我准备选他 突然碰上这种有关他的流言 |
[36:44] | I’d still vote for him. | 我还是会选他 |
[36:45] | Good. That’s you. | 很忠实 这是你 |
[36:46] | And that’s maybe most Santos voters. | 也许会是santos的大多数选民 |
[36:48] | And it is every voter in France. | 也可能是法国的选民 |
[36:50] | But it is not this country, not yet. | 但不是这个国家,至少现在不是 |
[36:53] | I don’t want people wishing they could change their votes after this comes out. | 我可没有妄想 |
[36:57] | The voters have a right to know about it before making their voting decision. | 在投票之前 选民们有权知道这些事 |
[37:00] | Come on, Bruno. This is me you’re talking to. | bruno行了 你是在和我说话 |
[37:02] | Please don’t try to turn mud-slinging into a “Respect the Voters” spiel. | 请你别把诽谤对手 夸夸其谈成尊敬选民 |
[37:07] | Don’t tell anyone, but I don respect the voters. | 别告诉任何人 不过我真的很尊敬选民 |
[37:09] | That’s why I win. | 这就是我赢的原因 |
[37:11] | I find out what they care about. | 我知道他们关心什么 |
[37:13] | I don’t try to tell them what they care about. | 但我不会告诉他们 他们所关心的 |
[37:15] | That’s not exactly my idea of leadership. | 这可不是我的作风 |
[37:17] | It’s my idea of democracy. | 这就是我认为的民主 |
[37:19] | The voters get to set the terms of the elections, not us. | 选民是决定结果的人 不是我们 |
[37:22] | They get to decide what’s important, not us. | 他们决定什么最重要 不是我们 |
[37:24] | That’s why I think voters have a right to this information about Santos now instead of six months from now. | 所以我觉得选民有权知道santos的这些内幕 是现在而不是6个月后 |
[37:29] | They could be electing a President who’s drowning in scandal | 他们可能会选一个身陷丑闻中的总统 |
[37:33] | when he’s supposed to be trying to stop World War III from starting in Kazakhstan. | 只要他会努力阻止 第三次世界大战在哈萨克展开 |
[37:36] | And that is not the kind of guy most of the country wants to be the next Commander-In-Chief. | 但这个总统并不是这个国家想要的 |
[37:46] | Thank you! Thank you, very much. | 谢谢 非常感谢 |
[38:11] | What harm could it do? | 有什么危险? |
[38:13] | It’s the principal of the thing. | 有关这事的双方当事人 |
[38:14] | Which is? | 那又怎么呢? |
[38:15] | We like to know what a meeting is about before we agree to it. | 在我们同意之前 我们要知道你们会面的内容 |
[38:19] | Five minutes? | 5分钟? |
[38:20] | That’s what they say. | 没错,他们这么说的 |
[38:34] | Whose idea was the press conference? | 记者会是谁的鬼主意? |
[38:37] | I couldn’t let you have California all to yourself. | 我不能容忍加州成了你的天下 |
[38:39] | Ah, I should have known. | 是啊,我早该意识到的 |
[38:49] | Well, I’ve got something for you. | 说正事吧,我有东西给你 |
[39:01] | Bruno found it in the holding room in Philadelphia. | bruno在费城的储藏室发现的 |
[39:08] | You look through it? | 你早翻过了? |
[39:10] | Well, no name tag on it. | 因为这上面没有名字 |
[39:11] | It took 24 hours to get back to me. | 一天之后才还给我 |
[39:17] | You find anything interesting in my notes? | 发现了什么有趣的? |
[39:19] | I didn’t read them. | 我可没看 |
[39:20] | But Bruno did. | 但bruno看过 |
[39:23] | You don’t have to worry about that. | 这个你不用担心 |
[39:24] | I don’t? | 不用担心? |
[39:25] | No one else knows about this. | 没别的其他人知道这事 |
[39:27] | Bruno, you and me? | 就bruno,你还有我? |
[39:28] | That’s it. And we’re not going to tell anyone. | 就我们3个 我们也不会散布任何消息 |
[39:31] | Or maybe I should tell the press that Bruno stole my briefcase. | 也许我该告诉媒介 bruno偷了我的公文包 |
[39:34] | He didn’t steal it. He found it. | 他可没偷 只是发现而已 |
[39:43] | It’s not your notes you should be worrying about. | 你该关心的不该是你的笔记 |
[39:48] | The checks you’ve been writing are a much bigger problem. | 你的帐单才是更重要的 |
[39:54] | You think so. | 你这么认为? |
[39:56] | We’re not going to tell anyone about the checks. But you should. | 我们不会对任何人说这帐单的事 但你应该自己坦白 |
[40:00] | So that’s what this meeting is all about? You just wanted to give me a little advice? | 这就是我们的会议要说的? 只是给我点小意见? |
[40:06] | Obviously, it’s up to you how you handle this. | 很显然,怎么处理是你的事 |
[40:09] | That’s right. It’s up to me. | 没错 是我的事 |
[40:12] | We’re not going to use it. | 我们是不会利用这个的 |
[40:15] | But it’s going to come out eventually. | 但纸是包不住火的 |
[40:19] | The press is going to find out. | 新闻界会挖出内幕 |
[40:23] | They’re going to find Anita Morales. | 他们会找出anita worales的 |
[40:27] | Camera crews are going to follow her daughter to school. | 摄象机会跟她的女儿进学校的 |
[40:29] | Bruno really did his homework, huh? | bruno看的很仔细,哼? |
[40:32] | You think the people who work for you wouldn’t have done exactly the same thing if they had found my briefcase? | 你认为要是你下面的人在发现了我的公文包后 不会做出同样的动作 |
[40:39] | If the press finds out about this next week, | 如果媒体下个礼拜发现了这事 |
[40:42] | then all that happens is you lose an election. | 你的下场就是惨败 |
[40:46] | But if you win and the press finds out next month or next year | 但要是你赢了 媒介在下个月或者明年发现了… |
[40:49] | then I don’t know what happens to you or your Presidency. | 那我就不知道你和你的总统位置会怎么样了 |
[40:53] | That’s what you have to think about. | 这才是你要考虑的 |
[40:55] | Right now, you have a responsibility to the voters to… | 现在,你有责任告诉选民… |
[40:59] | Don’t lecture me about responsibilities. | 别在我面前对责任高谈阔论 |
[41:03] | Do you really think you can handle this if it comes out | 要是秘密走光 你真觉得你可以应付 |
[41:05] | while you’re living in the White House with your family? | 而这个时候 你和你家人在白宫里定居 |
[41:09] | Do you really want to put the country through that? | 你真想要这个国家经历这些? |
[41:11] | Put your wife through that? | 让你的妻子经历这些? |
[41:12] | My wife knows all about it. | 我妻子全都知道 |
[41:22] | My brother’s never been good about living up to his responsibilities. | 我兄弟无法无天 |
[41:27] | He went out with Anita for a while and then disappeared like he always does. | 他和anita出去了一会儿 然后就像平时一样消失了 |
[41:32] | He’s never really been able to hold onto a job. | 他甚至没一份稳定的工作 |
[41:37] | When I found out about the baby I figured somebody had to step up. | 当我知道他们有了孩子的时候 我觉得自己该插手了 |
[41:45] | That would have looked a lot better if you had given your brother the money | 如果你给了你兄弟一大笔钱来 |
[41:49] | and let him pay the child support. | 让他支付孩子的费用会是很不错的选择 |
[41:51] | Yeah, well, I wish I could trust him to do that. | 没错, 我真希望自己能相信他 |
[42:00] | You don’t believe me. | 你不相信我 |
[42:03] | It doesn’t matter what I believe. | 我相不相信并不重要 |
[42:04] | You know the truth. | 你自己心知肚明 |
[42:13] | This is a family thing. | 这是家事 |
[42:16] | This has nothing to do with what kind of President I would be. | 和我会成为怎么样的总统毫不相干 |
[42:43] | Transcribed by Soundman for www.twiztv.com. Feedback to sparticus1611@hotmail.com. Sync : whoopss (whoopss1@nate.com) |