时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:05] | Previously on The West Wing: | 前集提要 |
[00:07] | The RNC has a team of lawyers who wanna file for a re-count. | 共和党有一批律师想要申请重新点票 |
[00:10] | – No. – If this happens… | -不 -如果这事发生了 |
[00:11] | …and you don’t challenge it, you’ll regret it for the rest of your life. | 你又不反对 你将后悔一生 |
[00:14] | Gonna get the mail. | 我要去取邮件 |
[00:15] | We’ll need a few minutes to shut down the street. | 我们需要一段时间来封路 |
[00:17] | To walk to the mailbox? | 到邮箱这段路? |
[00:19] | To have a hot dog, everyone had to be issued ID pins. | 连买个热狗都要查证身份 |
[00:21] | Get the president-elect on the phone. | 致电当选总统 |
[00:24] | I wanna congratulate him. | 我要祝贺他 |
[00:27] | Arnie Vinick made this a better campaign… | Arnie Vinick 让这次竞选更加有意义 |
[00:29] | … and he’s made this a better country for all of us. | 也让这个国家更加美好 |
[01:04] | Santos! Santos! Santos! | |
[01:20] | We have the cold front moving into the Midwest. | 冷空气前锋正向中西部地区移动 |
[01:22] | It’s expected to drop a foot of snow in downtown Des Moines… | 得梅因市区预期会下场厚厚的雪 |
[01:25] | … and at least 15 inches in outlying areas. | 在郊区也至少会下15英寸 |
[01:29] | We got reports in the last hour of flurries in Washaw County… | 收到最新消息Washaw郡正下小雪… |
[01:32] | Gentlemen, good morning. | 先生们 早上好 |
[01:34] | Good to see you again. How you been? | 很高兴再见到你 过得怎样? |
[01:36] | – Good morning. – Good morning, sir. | -早上好 -早上好 先生 |
[01:50] | This is Senator Vinick’s office. | 这是参议员Vinick的办公室 |
[01:52] | No one can take your call at the moment. | 现在无人接听您的电话 |
[02:09] | Senator, what are you doing here? | 参议员 你来这干什么? |
[02:12] | My office, isn’t it? | 我的办公室 不是吗? |
[02:14] | At least for another month. | 至少还有一个月是 |
[02:16] | – Where’s Sheila? – Had a breakfast meeting. | -Sheila在哪? -在开早餐会 |
[02:18] | – Job interview. – With who? | -面试 -和谁? |
[02:20] | – Royce. – Majority leader wants her, huh? | -多数党领袖想要她 啊? |
[02:22] | Everybody wants her. | 大家都想要她 |
[02:24] | Seems like every message I take now is a job offer for Sheila. | 我现在收到的每条信息 好像都是给Sheila的工作邀请 |
[02:28] | I wanna call every state-party chairman, starting with Iowa and New Hampshire. | 我想致电各州的党派主席 从爱荷华州和新罕布什尔州开始 |
[02:32] | Thank them for what they did. | 感谢他们所做的一切 |
[02:34] | Should I pack and ship these, or do you…? | 我该把这些东西打包寄出去 还是你…? |
[02:37] | – Did you hear me? – Yeah. State-party chairmen. Sure. | -你在听我说话吗? -在听 各州的党派主席 好的 |
[02:39] | – Today. – I’ll go get a list. | -今天 -我会去拿名单 |
[02:42] | I wanna call every member of my fundraising committee. | 我想致电筹款委员会的每一个成员 |
[02:44] | Send letters to the big contributors. | 写信给那些大捐款人 |
[02:46] | Oh, and I should call every Republican governor. | 哦 我还得致电各个共和党官员 |
[02:49] | Give me that set of cards you were keeping on everybody… | 给我你收着的那套联系信息卡片 |
[02:52] | …in every state we were in. | 就是各州所有我们的人的联系卡片 |
[02:54] | Again, I don’t want to start making announcements about cabinet posts… | 我再次强调 关于内阁成员人选 |
[02:58] | …until we have first made a decision about the vice-presidency… | 在决定副总统人选之前 我不想发表任何声明 |
[03:01] | …which you all know is very important. | 相信你们都明白这很重要 |
[03:04] | I thank you all. | 感谢你们大家 |
[03:05] | – Thank you. – Very busy day today. Thank you. | -谢谢 -今天非常忙 谢谢 |
[03:09] | I wanted to thank you again for all your hard work… | 我要再次感谢你们的努力 |
[03:11] | …and let you know if there’s ever anything I can do for you… | 我想让你知道 如果有什么我可以帮忙的话 |
[03:14] | …I’ll be on the next plane out of here. | 我会立刻赶过去 |
[03:17] | Okay. Thanks, Al. | 好的 谢谢 Al |
[03:20] | – Who’s next? – Hey. | -下一个是谁? -嘿 |
[03:22] | To what do we owe the honor? | 我们应该把荣誉归功于什么? |
[03:25] | I need to make some calls. | 我需要打些电话 |
[03:27] | – Senator Vinick’s office. – We could use help with the boxes. | -Vinick参议员办公室? -我们能用那些箱子打包 |
[03:30] | – So Royce, huh? – Maybe. | -Royce 哼? -或许 |
[03:33] | Is he gonna run for president? | 他要参选总统? |
[03:34] | He knows he has no chance. | 他知道他没机会 |
[03:36] | But I told him to keep buzz going, it’ll help fundraising. | 但我告诉他要继续做宣传 那对筹款有帮助 |
[03:39] | He wants you to run the majority leader’s office? | 他想让你负责多数党领袖办公室? |
[03:42] | Dr. Wexler says they can move your physical to today, but… | Wexler医生说他们今天能给你做体检 但是… |
[03:45] | – Good. I wanna get that done. – But you gotta get there now. | -太好了 我想要快点完成体检 -但你必须现在就去 |
[03:48] | Annie, get the “thank you” letters done, and I’ll sign them when I get back. | Annie 弄好那些感谢信 我回来就签字 |
[03:53] | I want 10 minutes with every Republican senator before they kick me out. | 在他们赶我出去前 我想要和每一个共和党参议员待上10分钟 |
[03:57] | Not too many of them around with the Senate out of session. | 非开会期 他们中很少人会待在参议院 |
[04:01] | I’ll go to their home states if I have to. I gotta thank them, let them know… | 如果需要的话 我会去他们州 我要感谢他们 要让他们知道… |
[04:06] | Hey, tell Bob I wanna go over the exit polls with him later. | 嘿 告诉Bob我稍后要和他分析投票后的民调 |
[04:13] | Who’s gonna tell him? | 谁去告诉他? |
[04:14] | – What? – That the campaign is over. | -告诉他什么? -竞选结束了 |
[05:08] | Adam, I am not trying to tell you or the Times how to cover a story. | Adam 我并不是告诉你或报社怎样去掩饰谎言 |
[05:14] | What I am saying is that if you report that he’s picked a vice president… | 我所说的是如果你报导他被挑选为副总统 |
[05:17] | …you will make the best paper in America very, very wrong. | 你会让美国最优秀的报纸犯下严重错误 |
[05:20] | Yes, senator, the president-elect will certainly take that into consideration. | 好的 参议员 总统当选人一定会对此加以考虑 |
[05:25] | – This is Linda. – I have an aunt named Linda. | -这是Linda -我有个叫Linda的姑姑 |
[05:28] | That’s great. Do you have any friends named Linda? | 太棒了 你有朋友叫Linda的吗? |
[05:33] | – No. – Well, you do now. | -没有 -你现在有了 |
[05:36] | And this is Kevin. | 这是Kevin |
[05:37] | Linda and Kevin are gonna be with you most of the time. | Linda和Kevin大部分时间将会和你们在一起 |
[05:40] | Now, because a lot of people know who your dad is… | 因为现在许多人认识你们爸爸了 |
[05:43] | – Everyone knows who my dad is. – I guess you’re right. | -每个人都认识我爸爸? -我想是的 |
[05:46] | Some of them might try to talk to him or get a message to him through you. | 许多人或许会想要通过你们和他谈话 或给他捎信 |
[05:50] | – You think that’s a good idea? – No? | -你们认为这样好吗? -不 |
[05:52] | That’s right, Peter. | 那就对了 Peter |
[05:54] | We need talk V.P. | 我们得谈谈关于副总统的事 |
[05:56] | If anyone tries to do that, you should tell Linda or Kevin about it right away. | 如果有人那么做 你们要立刻告诉Linda或Kevin |
[06:00] | And they’ll give the message to my dad? | 他们会捎信给我爸爸? |
[06:02] | Well, it’s not quite that simple. | 没有那么简单 |
[06:06] | Our lawyers now have a legal theory… | 我们的律师现在有了法律理论依据 |
[06:09] | …your electoral delegates can vote for whomever they want for vice president. | 你的选举代表可以选举任何人当副总统 |
[06:13] | – Theory? – No precedent. Theory’s best we can do. | 理论依据? 没有先例 理论依据是我们最好的选择 |
[06:16] | Supported by four former Democratic and Republican attorneys general. | 有四个前民主党和共和党司法部长支持 |
[06:20] | And they’ll say so publicly? | 他们会公开表态吗? |
[06:21] | They’ll take out a full-page ad in the New York Times. | 他们会在纽约时报上刊登整版的文章 |
[06:24] | By which I mean they’ll sign a full-page ad if we pay for it. | 我的意思是如果我们付钱的话 他们会在文章上署名 |
[06:27] | As will a handful of former solicitors general from both parties. | 两党许多前司法部副部长也会 |
[06:31] | So I can pick whoever I want and the Electoral College will elect him? | 那么我能挑选任何我想要的人 而选举团会选他? |
[06:35] | – Republicans might challenge it in court. – But we’ll win? | -共和党人或许会在法院提出异议 -但我们能赢? |
[06:38] | – Might take a while. – You done here? | -或许需要花一段时间 -你们说完了吗? |
[06:40] | – We’re just… – It’s scary in there. | -我们只是… -孩子们被吓到了 |
[06:42] | The kids seem okay with it. | 孩子们看起来还能接受 |
[06:44] | How would you feel if you were 5 years old… | 如果你才5岁 有人拿着枪对你说 你的性命掌握在他们手上了 |
[06:47] | …and people with guns were telling you they’re gonna take over your life? | 你会有什么感觉 |
[06:51] | – Sorry. This is my fault. – Nothing to do with you. | -对不起 这是我的错 -和你无关 |
[06:54] | What you are talking about can wait. | 你们讨论的东西可以以后再谈 |
[06:56] | What we’re talking about is keeping your children alive. | 我们现在说的是保住你孩子的性命 |
[07:02] | Your hand healed faster than I expected. | 你的手康复得比我预期的快得多 |
[07:04] | Maybe that’s because I went from a thousand handshakes a day to none. | 或许是我从每天握手上千次 到现在一次都没有的缘故 |
[07:08] | I’ll have your blood-cholesterol levels in a few days. | 我会在近期检查你血液胆固醇浓度 |
[07:11] | If they’re anything like last year, you got nothing to worry about. | 如果情况和去年差不多 你就没什么好担心了 |
[07:15] | Did you get much exercise on the campaign trail? | 你在竞选期间常做运动吗? |
[07:17] | None. | 完全没有 |
[07:19] | Lot of stress. I hear that keeps you young. | 虽然有很多压力 但我听说大量压力让人保持年轻 |
[07:23] | If I had your stress levels… | 如果要我承受你那种压力 |
[07:24] | …you’d have been called on to deliver an eloquent eulogy for me 10 years ago. | 十年前你就该被请来为我念悼词了 |
[07:29] | – So? – So you’re fine. | -所以呢? -所以你状态很好 |
[07:34] | – Fine? – You’re in great shape. | -很好? -你身体状况很好 |
[07:37] | – For a man my age? – For a man half your age. | -对我这年纪的人来说? -对年纪是你一半的人来说 |
[07:41] | You’re kind of a medical miracle, actually, huh? | 实际上你是个医学奇迹 |
[07:46] | President Bartlet and the first lady… | Bartlet总统和第一夫人… |
[07:48] | … are on their way to Brussels today for the president’s last G8 meeting… | 今天正在去布鲁塞尔的路上 参加他总统任期内的最后一个G8会议 |
[07:52] | … where the crisis in Kazakhstan… | 会议上哈萨克斯坦的危机… |
[07:55] | Do you have the list for assistant secretary of defense? | 你有助理国防部长的名单吗? |
[07:58] | There are 15 assistant secretaries of defense. Stay focused on the big stuff. | 有15个助理国防部长 聚焦主要的就好 |
[08:01] | All right, let me take another look at the file for State. | 好的 让我再看看国务卿候选人的档案 |
[08:04] | Kansas City Star wants me to confirm or deny Keenitz for Agriculture. | 堪萨斯星报想要我确认 Keenitz是否将是农业部长 |
[08:09] | – How did that leak? – Once the FBI starts background checks… | -消息怎么泄露的? -一旦FBI进行背景审查 |
[08:12] | …neighbors figure it out. – Leak other names. | -邻居们就能猜出来 -透露些其他候选人的名单 |
[08:14] | It might pull press heat off the V.P. Selection. | 媒体或许会转移对副总统人选的关注 |
[08:17] | I’ve decided on a V.P. | 我已经决定了一个副总统人选 |
[08:20] | Do we have Nancy McNally’s financial-disclosure statement? | 有Nancy McNally的财务披露报表吗? |
[08:25] | – Who is your choice for vice president? – Baker. | -谁是你的副总统人选? |
[08:30] | You should announce that right away. | 你应该立刻宣布 |
[08:32] | And publicly ask Democratic electors to vote for Baker… | 并在选举团开会时 公开呼吁民主党选举人投票给Baker |
[08:35] | …when Electoral College meets. – Only way we get Baker. | 这是让Baker当选的唯一方法 |
[08:38] | If you wait and submit Baker for confirmation… | 如果你提交Baker的名字等待批准 |
[08:40] | …Republicans won’t let you have him. | 共和党人不会让他当选的 |
[08:43] | They won’t confirm a strong V.P. Who could win the presidency in eight years. | 他们不会批准这么个人物 连续8年当选副总统职位 |
[08:46] | Handing this off to the Electoral College just doesn’t feel right. | 把这交给选举团也不妥 |
[08:50] | The American people will not stand… | 美国人民不会支持 |
[08:52] | …for 272 people they’ve never heard of electing a V.P. | 由272个他们从没听说过的人来选出副总统 |
[08:55] | People don’t care. They don’t vote V.P. They vote the top of the ticket. | 人民不在乎 他们又不选副总统 他们选的是总统 |
[08:59] | If he has to take over the presidency… | 如果他当选副总统 |
[09:01] | …then people should know how he got there. | 人们会知道他如何当选的 |
[09:04] | If he goes through a congressional confirmation… | 如果他经过了国会的批准 |
[09:07] | …hearings of the House, the Senate, the works… | 由参众两议院听证 |
[09:09] | …the country will know everything about him before he takes office. | 全国人会在他上任前知道他的一切 |
[09:13] | If you’re gonna submit a name to Congress, it can’t be Baker. | 如果你向国会提名 那个人绝不能是Baker |
[09:18] | Got a lot of offers to sit on boards. | 有一大堆公司邀请你做董事 |
[09:21] | All the pharmaceuticals want you, all the airlines. | 所有的医药商想要你 还有所有的航空公司 |
[09:24] | As your lawyer, I have to advise you to avoid the bankrupt ones… | 作为你的律师 我得建议你避开那些破产的 |
[09:28] | …unless you love giving depositions all day. | 除非你喜欢成天付押金 |
[09:30] | – I don’t wanna sit on boards. – Letters to governors. | -我不想再坐在董事桌上了 -给长官们的信 |
[09:32] | – Great. – You don’t have to do anything… | -很好 -你不需要干任何东西 |
[09:35] | …as a member of a board of directors. Show up a few times a year. | 作为一个董事会的一员 一年才露面几次 |
[09:38] | Hundred thousand in salary and more in stock options. | 几十万的薪水 优先认股权里还可以赚到更多 |
[09:41] | You sit on half-a-dozen boards, you’re making… | 如果你是6个公司的董事 你能获得… |
[09:44] | Wouldn’t look good. | 看上去不体面 |
[09:46] | Who cares what it looks like? | 谁在乎体不体面? |
[09:49] | No offense, Arnie, but nobody notices what former senators do. | 并不是冒犯你 Arnie 没人会注意前参议员干了些什么 |
[09:53] | What else you got? | 还有什么? |
[09:55] | Lot of university offers. You can write your own ticket. | 许多大学的邀请 你能自己选择 |
[09:58] | Full-time faculty, guest lecturer, whatever you wanna teach… | 专职教员 客座讲师 不管你想教什么… |
[10:01] | – Where? – NYU, Princeton, Penn… | 哪里? 纽约大学 普林斯顿大学 宾… |
[10:04] | University of Pennsylvania? | 宾夕法尼亚大学? |
[10:06] | Yeah. UVA, Duke, Emory, Florida State, Ohio Wesleyan, and William and Mary. | 对 维吉尼亚 杜克 埃莫利 佛罗里达州立 俄亥俄卫斯里昂大学 还有威廉与玛丽学院 |
[10:11] | All right, let’s do guest lecturer at Penn, Florida State and Ohio Wesleyan. | 好 我们去宾夕法尼亚 佛罗里达州立 还有俄亥俄卫斯里昂做客座讲师 |
[10:16] | – All three? – I can write my own ticket, or not? | 3个都去? 我能自由选择 不是吗? |
[10:18] | They’ll go along with it. | 他们会同意的 |
[10:19] | – But why do you wanna spend…? – What offers do we have in California? | -但你为什么想要花…? -在加州我们有什么邀请? |
[10:23] | You don’t wanna be the official greeter at a vineyard, do you? | 你不想在葡萄园做官方招待员 对吧? |
[10:29] | Twenty-one and a half. | 21.5英尺 |
[10:31] | Obviously that violates Houston’s zoning laws, but we can get a waiver. | 很明显那违背了休斯顿的分区法 但是我们能得到特赦 |
[10:36] | This fence is essential to securing… | 围墙对保护你们房屋的周界是必须的 |
[10:38] | …the perimeter of your property. – Twenty-one feet high? | 21英尺高? |
[10:41] | Well, that’s because the homes next door are so close to yours. | 这是因为隔壁的住宅离你们的太近了 |
[10:45] | What’s this? | 这是什么? |
[10:47] | The guardhouse we’ll build on the sidewalk. | 我们要建在人行道的警卫室 |
[10:49] | Everyone: Friends, delivery men, etcetera… | 每一个人 朋友们 送货员等等 |
[10:52] | …will have to pass through to get into your house. | 要进你们房子就得经过那儿 |
[10:54] | Does it have to be so big? | 必须那么大吗? |
[10:57] | It’s smaller than we usually build. | 为了使它融入社区 |
[10:59] | – Trying to blend into the neighborhood. – Really? Who else has a guardhouse? | -比我们平常建的小多了 -真的? 还有谁家有警卫室? |
[11:03] | The plans might be able to be reined in a bit… | 根据第一家庭使用房屋的频率 |
[11:05] | …depending on how often the first family is gonna use the house. | 计划可以稍加控制 |
[11:09] | Use it? We’re going to be living in it. | 使用? 我们还要住在里面 |
[11:11] | We’ve decided to let the kids finish their school year in Houston… | 我们决定让孩子们在休斯顿完成学业 |
[11:15] | …and then bring them to the White House in June. | 然后在六月把他们接进白宫 |
[11:18] | So the first lady and the children… | 所以第一夫人和孩子们 |
[11:20] | …will be living there full-time until June? – Pretty much. | -直到六月都会一直住在那? -恐怕是这样的 |
[11:23] | Could you excuse me a minute? | 能允许我离开一会吗? |
[11:28] | – Is there a problem? – He’s gotta let the director know. | -有问题吗? -他得立刻去告知主管 |
[11:31] | – Gonna put a lot of strain on the PPD. – PPD? | -这会给PPD很大的压力 |
[11:34] | Presidential Protective Division. | 总统保卫部 |
[11:35] | Permanent split in the family’s gonna stretch us thin. | 第一家庭的长期的分居 让我们的力量变得薄弱 |
[11:38] | – Not a permanent split. – I understand. | -不是长期的分居 -我理解 |
[11:40] | But we’re really not set up for the president and the first lady… | 我们建立时就没考虑到 总统会和第一夫人会分居两周以上 |
[11:43] | …to be apart more than a couple weeks: International trips, that sort of thing. | 因为有国事访问那一类事 |
[11:50] | Got the exit polls for him. | 帮他拿到民调结果了 |
[11:52] | Great. Now he can really obsess over why he lost. | 很好 现在他能好好反思他为什么失败了 |
[11:55] | – You gotta talk to him about money. – You’re his oldest friend. | -你必须和他谈谈钱的问题 -你是他认识最早的朋友 |
[11:59] | – If you can’t get through to him, I can’t. – He’s refusing to join boards. | -如果你都不能说服他 我更不可能 -他拒绝参加任何董事会 |
[12:03] | He just wants to do guest lecturing… | 他只是想在宾夕法尼亚 俄亥俄 |
[12:04] | …at universities in Pennsylvania, Ohio and Florida. | 以及佛罗里达的大学里做客座演讲 |
[12:08] | He’s gonna be bored to death… | 他会闷死的 |
[12:09] | …and he won’t be able to afford the Republican lifestyle he deserves. | 他也不可能丢下 他应有的共和党人的生活方式 |
[12:13] | My apology, sir. The director would like… | 抱歉 先生 |
[12:16] | …to redo the security plan for your home… | 主管想要为你家重做一份安全保卫计划 |
[12:18] | …including sealing the street with guardhouses at each end. | 包括用警卫室封锁街道两头 |
[12:23] | Sealing the street? | 封锁街道? |
[12:24] | Only residents to drive on the street. | 只有这条街的居民能在这条街上驾车 |
[12:26] | All visitors to any house on the street have to pass through the guardhouses. | 来拜访这街道上任何一户人家的人 必须通过警卫室 |
[12:30] | We’ll check social security and birthdays, same as the White House. | 我们会巡查周围的治安和聚会 和白宫的安检水准一样 |
[12:33] | Our neighbors become prisoners in their homes? | 我们的邻居要在家里成为囚犯? |
[12:36] | – They’ll be on the… – Safest street in Houston. | -他们将生活在… -休斯顿最安全的街道上 |
[12:38] | Excuse us. | 失陪一下 |
[12:46] | – You okay? – No. | -还好吧? -不 |
[12:49] | – They’re just trying to do their job… – This is not gonna work. | -他们只是在干本职工作… -这行不通的 |
[12:52] | We should all move to the White House with you in January. | 我们应该一月份和你一起搬进白宫 |
[12:56] | We better start looking for schools for the kids, huh? | |
[13:00] | Yeah. | 对 |
[13:09] | Hey, Bob, you got the exit polls? | 嘿 Bob 拿到民调结果没? |
[13:11] | Right here. Pretty simple. | 在这 相当简单 |
[13:13] | We lost Nevada by 70,000 votes because of the nuclear accident. | 因为核事件 我们以70000票之差失去了内华达州 |
[13:16] | – What page is Nevada? – Right here. | -内华达州在哪页? -在这 |
[13:18] | You’re not set for life, you know. | 你并不喜欢固定的生活 你明白的 |
[13:22] | Jim tell you I don’t wanna waste time on boards? | Jim告诉了你我不想浪费时间在董事会? |
[13:24] | I think he mentioned something about that, yeah. | 我想他是提了一些 |
[13:27] | My Senate pension will be plenty. | 我有高额的参议员退休金 |
[13:29] | I’ll pick up pocket change on the lecture circuit. | 我能在客座演讲圈里挣些零用钱 |
[13:31] | – Where’s the demographic breakdown? – Take a job with a D.C. law firm. | -人口统计细分表在哪? -你该在华盛顿的法律公司找份工作 |
[13:36] | I won’t do lobbying. It wouldn’t look good. | 我不会去做游说工作 看上去不体面 |
[13:39] | – You wouldn’t have to do any lobbying. – Wouldn’t look good? | -你不用做任何的游说工作 -看起来不体面? |
[13:43] | Lecturing in Pennsylvania, Ohio and Florida? | 到宾夕法尼亚 俄亥俄 佛罗里达授课? |
[13:48] | Are you thinking about running again? | 你在考虑再次参加竞选? |
[13:50] | Flip 40,000 votes in Nevada, and I win. | 在内华达州高出40000票 我就能获胜 |
[13:53] | Senator, you can’t be seriously thinking about… | 参议员 你不是真的想… |
[13:56] | Doctor says I’m in great shape. | 医生说我状态很好 |
[14:01] | Tell me who the front-runner… | 告诉我 |
[14:02] | …for the Republican nomination is gonna be, huh? | 谁最有可能成为共和党的提名人? |
[14:06] | One of the seven dwarfs that I just beat? | 我所击败的七个矮子当中的一个? |
[14:09] | Those guys have “loser” written all over them. | 那些家伙浑身都写着“失败者”三个字 |
[14:11] | Ray Sullivan’s a front-runner already. Everybody said he did a great job… | Ray Sullivan是最有可能的人选 大家都说他在副总统竞选活动中表现不错 |
[14:15] | …with the V.P. Campaign. – I created Ray Sullivan. | 是我发掘了Ray Sullivan |
[14:19] | Where would he be if I didn’t put him on the ticket? | 如果我不让他进这个圈子 他现在会在哪儿? |
[14:21] | – He won’t run if I run. – You wanna bet on that? | -如果我参选他就不会参选 -你想把宝押在这上面吗? |
[14:26] | Everyone in the Republican Party knows I had this locked… | 在核事件之前 |
[14:28] | …until the nuclear accident. | 每个共和党人都知道我是锁定的人选 |
[14:31] | That would kill any Republican candidate. The party can’t blame me for that. | 那个意外会挫败任何一个共和党候选人 共和党不能为此责备我 |
[14:35] | We would have had an Electoral College landslide if… | 我们能获得选举团的绝大多数票数 如果… |
[14:37] | Look. Look. Look at these exit polls. | 看 看 看看这些民调 |
[14:41] | Nuclear power was the number one issue all over the West. | 核事件是整个西翼最大的问题 |
[14:44] | That’s not gonna happen next time. Everything will be back to normal. | 下次绝对不会发生这种事 一切都会走上正轨 |
[14:47] | Nuclear won’t even show up in the next presidential exit polls. | 核事件甚至不会出现在下次 总统选举后的民调 |
[14:55] | I know what you’re thinking. | 我明白你在想什么 |
[14:59] | Go on, say it. | 继续 说出来 |
[15:01] | You think I’m too old. | 你认为我太老了 |
[15:05] | Don’t worry about that. I feel great. | 不用担心 我状态很好 |
[15:08] | I’m telling you, 70 is the new 60. | 告诉你 70岁是新的60岁 |
[15:24] | The confirmation would be a breeze for Connor or Rosenthal for Treasury. | 国会的批准对Connor或Rosenthal 入主财政部来说是个好消息 |
[15:29] | Connor would be a more popular choice within the party. | Connor在党内更受欢迎 |
[15:32] | Obviously, Rosenthal’s more respected on Wall Street. | 但明显地 Rosenthal在华尔街更有威望 |
[15:34] | No, I think Rosenthal would be more effective selling my tax plan. | 不 我认为Rosenthal 能更有效地推行我的税收计划 |
[15:38] | Well, he has no administrative skills. Treasury is a huge department. | 但是他没有管理方面的能力 财政部是一个庞大的部门 |
[15:41] | Jurisdiction over the IRS, Bureau of Engraving, the Mint. | 管辖国税局 印刷制版局 货币铸造局 |
[15:44] | Let’s go with Rosenthal, and get him a deputy secretary… | 任用Rosenthal |
[15:47] | …who’s got a lot of executive experience. | 给他找个有丰富管理经验的副部长 |
[15:50] | Well, good. | 好 就这样 |
[15:52] | So we’ve got Treasury, Defense and attorney general. | 我们已经定好了财政部长 国防部长和司法部长 |
[15:56] | If you make a choice on State, we’ll announce the big four… | 如果你挑好了国务卿人选 我们就在宣布副总统人选的同时 |
[15:59] | …the same time we announce the V.P. And show progress with the transition. | 宣布四巨头人选 然后就进行职位交接过渡 |
[16:03] | Nancy McNally’s great, but I think she’d be a better U.N. Ambassador. | Nancy McNally很不错 但我认为她更适合担任联合国大使 |
[16:08] | Well, how about Noah for State? | 那Noah任国务卿怎样? |
[16:11] | – Schmidt? – No. I want a fresh take on Kazakhstan… | -不 我要个能去处理哈萨克斯坦问题的人 |
[16:13] | …someone who was never part of the team that got us in there. | 一个不是我们竞选团队的人 |
[16:17] | – Leaves Reynolds. – I had a good meeting with Reynolds… | -我和Reynolds有过一次愉快的会面 |
[16:19] | …but I didn’t get anything from him that I didn’t already know. | 但他说的都是我已经了解的 |
[16:23] | – No one has more experience. – I like him, but… | -没人更有经验了 -我喜欢他 但是… |
[16:26] | – Wanna take another look at his file? – No, let’s move on. | -要再看看他的档案? -不 我们继续 |
[16:30] | – We’ll come back to State. – Okay. | 再谈谈国务卿吧 好的 |
[16:33] | Well, we’ve got a couple of great candidates for Commerce. | 我们有了几个适合做商务部长的候选人 |
[16:39] | Yes, sir. | 是 先生 |
[16:40] | General Corley will give you the Kazakhstan update… | 你一下飞机 |
[16:43] | …as soon as you get off the plane. | Corley将军就会给你哈萨克斯坦的最新情况 |
[16:45] | I’ll get them on the line now. | 我现在就让他们上线 |
[16:50] | I need Stanley at State and Henry at Trade… | 叫国务院的Stanley和贸易部的Henry |
[16:52] | …for a conference call with the president. | 和总统进行电话会议 |
[16:54] | – When? – Right now. | -什么时候? -立刻 |
[16:55] | – What’s up? – Here’s where we are so far. | -怎么了? -这是我们目前的进度 |
[16:57] | We’ve got someone ready to go for every one of those job titles. | 我们找好了人担任上面的每一个职务 |
[17:02] | People should be ready to move out by Inauguration Day. | 在总统就职日前 各人员要就位 |
[17:05] | – I’ll let them know. – Things aren’t moving so fast with State. | -我会通知他们的 -国务院方面的事进展得就没这么快 |
[17:08] | President-elect doesn’t want any empty desks at State with the crisis still hot… | 现在危机依然紧迫 总统当选人不想政府职位有任何空席 |
[17:12] | …so he’d like all the undersecretaries to plan to stay in place for a while. | 所以他想要所有的副部长 在一段时间内留任 |
[17:16] | – He’s having trouble picking a secretary? – He’s staring at the short list. | -他还没有选好部长? -他正盯着最后的候选名单 |
[17:20] | Nancy McNally? | |
[17:22] | I have no idea. I’m just the messenger. | 我不知道 我只是个报信的 |
[17:26] | – She’s on the short list. – Good. | -她在名单里 -很好 |
[17:33] | Helen Santos is here. And Stanley is having his teeth whitened now… | Helen Santos来这里了 另外 Stanley现在正在漂白牙齿 |
[17:36] | …so they’re trying to find someone at Trade to do the call. | 所以他们想找个在贸易部的人代班 |
[17:39] | Okay. My once-proud team. | 好的 我曾经引以自豪的团队 |
[17:41] | I’ll just duck out this way. | 我出去回避一下 |
[17:44] | Problems with the first-lady-elect? | 和当选总统的夫人有过节? |
[17:46] | – Just not her favorite person today. – Come on. | -只是今天我不是她想见的人罢了 -说吧 |
[17:49] | It’s nothing, really. I’ll just slip out of your way. | 没什么 真的 我只是想从你这儿开溜 |
[17:56] | – Hello, Mrs. Santos, I’m C.J. Cregg. – I know. We get CNN in Texas. | -你好 Santos夫人 我是CJ Cregg -我知道 我们在德克萨斯的CNN上见过 |
[17:59] | – Do me a favor. – Anything. | -帮我个忙 -好的 随便说 |
[18:01] | – Please call me Helen. – Okay. | -请叫我Helen吧 -好的 |
[18:05] | – How we doing? – Everyone’s ready… | 我们该怎么做? |
[18:07] | …but now the president’s on another call. | 大家都准备好 但总统正在接另一个电话 |
[18:10] | The first lady would’ve shown you around… | 第一夫人本要带你逛逛的 |
[18:12] | …but she’s on her way to Brussels. | 但她正在去布鲁塞尔的路上 |
[18:14] | They’ve asked me to make you feel at home. | 他们嘱咐我要让你有家的感觉 |
[18:17] | In this place? | 在这个地方? |
[18:18] | Well, you’ll see the residence does have some homey touches. | 你会发觉这房子确实有家的感觉的 |
[18:21] | – Like? – You could get bunk beds for the kids. | -比如说? -你可以给孩子们准备双层床 |
[18:24] | – I got to find a school for them first. – Jim Kane can help you with that. | -在我考虑卧室以前 我得先帮他们找到学校 -关于这个 Jim Kane能帮到你 |
[18:30] | – The secretary of education? – Yeah. | -教育部长? -对 |
[18:32] | Mr. Chairman, I’ll definitely let you know about the V.P. Before the press knows. | 主席先生 在媒体得到消息前 我一定先告诉你副总统人选 |
[18:36] | Drudge Report says it’s Baker. | 德拉吉新闻报说人选是Baker |
[18:38] | – How does Drudge do it? – Is it Baker? | -德拉吉新闻报怎样知道的? -是不是Baker? |
[18:41] | I am not going to reconsider. I want Eric Baker for vice president. | 我不再考虑了 我想要Eric Baker担任副总统 |
[18:45] | Now, with the Democrats in the House, Baker will have no problem there. | 现在 有众议院的民主党人在 Baker在众议院不会遇到问题 |
[18:49] | How many Republican votes will we need in Senate? | 在参议院需要得到多少共和党人的选票? |
[18:52] | Five, at least. | 至少五张 |
[18:53] | More if anyone decides to filibuster. | 如果有人阻碍议案通过的话 或许要更多 |
[18:55] | Won’t try that on V.P. Confirmation. | 他们不会在表决副总统人选时干这种事 |
[18:57] | – They could. – Not if you talk to the leader… | 是的 但他们能 不会的 如果你和多数党领袖谈谈 |
[18:59] | …give him the feeling he’s being consulted, let him suggest names. | 让他感觉我们正请教他 让他对人选提出过建议 |
[19:03] | No. He’ll try to jam me into taking someone I don’t want. | 不 他会逼我接受一个我不想要的人 |
[19:06] | If we can’t count on enough Republican votes in the Senate… | 如果在众议院得不到足够的共和党选票 |
[19:09] | …then I recommend that you ask the Electoral College to vote on Baker. | 我建议你下周要求选举团投票给Baker |
[19:15] | – Don’t want to. – You might have to. | -我不想那么干 -你或许必须那么干 |
[19:17] | Baker’s name is starting to leak, so if you’re not gonna consult Senate… | Baker的名字开始泄露出去了 所以如果你不打算和众议院商议 |
[19:20] | …we need to make the announcement. – Gotta pressure the Republicans… | 我们就需要尽快公布名单 |
[19:24] | …to confirm Baker. – How? | -必须给共和党人施压 让他们选Baker -怎么施压? |
[19:26] | I wanna see Arnold Vinick. | 我想要见Arnold Vinick |
[19:30] | You really think he’s in the mood to help you with this? | 你真认为他会有心情帮你吗? |
[19:35] | I wanna see Arnold Vinick. | 我想要见Arnold Vinick |
[19:40] | Right says we lost because you weren’t conservative enough… | 说真的 我们失败是因为你不够保守 |
[19:43] | …not the nuclear thing. | 而不是因为核事故 |
[19:44] | Exactly. That’s why I have to run again, to prove that isn’t true. | 确实如此 这就是我为什么要再次参选 去证明那不是事实 |
[19:48] | I wasn’t just running for the presidency. | 我不仅仅是为总统职位而参选 |
[19:50] | – I was fighting for the soul of my party. – You won that. | -我在为我们党派的精神而战 -那场战争你已经打赢了 |
[19:53] | Ray Sullivan, the most popular guy in the party, is a Vinick Republican. | Ray Sullivan 党派里最受欢迎的人物 是Vinick派的共和党人 |
[19:56] | You created a national candidate. He is your legacy. | 你创造了一个国民候选人 他是你的接班人 |
[19:59] | Pro-lifers like him, moderates love him. | 反堕胎人士喜欢他 温和派人士爱慕他 |
[20:02] | Your blessing can guarantee him the nomination. | 你的祝福能保证他被任命 |
[20:05] | You can be the kingmaker. | 你可以拥立国王 |
[20:12] | But not the king? | 但不是国王? |
[20:14] | I just got a call from Barry Goodwin. | 我刚收到Barry Goodwin的电话 |
[20:17] | – Yeah? – Matt Santos wants to see you. | -是吗? -Matt Santos想要见你 |
[20:20] | – About what? – Sounds like a post-election handshake… | -为什么? -像是为了选后握握手 |
[20:23] | …a nice bipartisan photo op. | 照张象征两党团结合作的照片 |
[20:25] | – Smart move by Santos. – I’m not gonna be a prop… | Santos精明的一步 |
[20:28] | …in some phony unity picture. | 我不会去照那种假装合作的照片 |
[20:30] | You don’t go, they’ll leak that you turned him down. | 你不去的话 他们会向媒体透露说你拒绝了他 |
[20:32] | – Santos will look bipartisan… – And I look like a sore loser. | -Santos会看起来像个团结两党的人 -而我看起来会像个脆弱的失败者 |
[20:36] | The personal staff is waiting in the East Room. | 私人员工们在东边房间里等着你 |
[20:39] | Most of them have been here a long time. They know their stuff. | 他们中大多数人在这干了很久 他们知道他们的该干什么 |
[20:42] | I need a nanny-type and someone to help clean the kids’ bedrooms. | 我需要一个保姆型的 和一个清理孩子们房间的人 |
[20:46] | I think they can manage that. | 我想他们能应付这些 |
[20:59] | – This is Curtis Schaefer. – Nice to meet you. | -这是Curtis Schaefer. -很高兴见到你 |
[21:02] | My pleasure, Mrs. Santos. | 很荣幸 Santos夫人 |
[21:04] | – He is the chief usher. – Chief usher? | -他是这里的首席传达员 -首席传达员? |
[21:06] | Means he’s the man in charge. | 意思是他是这里的负责人 |
[21:08] | If it’s all right, I thought we’d begin with a quick introduction… | 如果你不介意 我想我们先简短地作个介绍 |
[21:12] | …then split off into individual meetings with the executive chef. | 然后与主厨进行单独面谈 |
[21:15] | The pastry chef, your children might have desserts he’ll wanna know about. | 糕点师想要知道你的孩子要吃什么甜食 |
[21:20] | The head florist would like a few minutes… | 首席花匠也想要占用一些时间 |
[21:22] | …just to get an impression of your and the president-elect’s preferences. | 了解你和当选总统喜欢什么花 |
[21:26] | The president-elect doesn’t have a preference. | 当选总统对花没有什么特别偏好 |
[21:29] | – For the Oval Office? – He’ll never notice flowers. | -总统办公室里呢? -他不会注意花的 |
[21:31] | – Whatever you like is fine. – I understand. | -你挑好就行了 -我明白了 |
[21:34] | No need to meet with the butlers and maids… | 你没必要与所有的男仆与女仆一一见面 |
[21:36] | …but if you could spend a few minutes with the president-elect’s valet. | 但非常有必要花几分钟 和总统的贴身仆人谈谈 |
[21:39] | – He needs to finalize his… – I’m sorry. | -因为他想要确定… -抱歉 |
[21:41] | Could you excuse us for one minute, please? | 能给我们几分钟时间吗? |
[21:44] | Thanks. | 谢谢 |
[21:46] | Hey, this is too much. We don’t need all these people. | 人太多了 我们不需要所有这些的人 |
[21:49] | Okay, which ones do you want to fire? | 好的 你想要解雇哪些? |
[21:53] | President-elect’s office, please hold. | 这是当选总统的办公室 请稍等 |
[21:57] | President-elect’s office, please hold. | 这是当选总统的办公室 请稍等 |
[21:59] | President-elect’s office, please hold. | 这是当选总统的办公室 请稍等 |
[22:02] | Mr. Goodwin will be right with you. He’s finishing a call. | Goodwin先生就要来见你了 他正在通话中 |
[22:05] | If you’d like to take a seat. President-elect’s office, please hold. | 如果你愿意的话可以坐一下 这是当选总统的办公室 请稍等 |
[22:08] | President-elect’s office, please hold. | President-elect’s office, please hold. 这是当选总统的办公室 请稍等 这是当选总统的办公室 请稍等 |
[22:28] | – This was a terrible idea. – You had no choice. | -这个主意糟透了 -你没有选择 |
[22:32] | – I’m standing here waiting like a… – Sit. | -我在这站着等 像个… -那就坐下来 |
[22:34] | Just keep talking to me as though I’m too busy to sit. | 继续和我说话 让我看起来忙得坐不下来 |
[22:37] | Okay. | 好的 |
[22:39] | – What do I have tomorrow? – You have a haircut at 10. | -我明天有什么要干的? -你10点要去理发 |
[22:44] | – Okay, then what? – That looks like it. | -好的 然后呢? -好象没有了 |
[22:46] | – For the rest of the day? – For the rest of the year. | -一整天? -一整年 |
[22:50] | Okay, well, let’s confirm all that… | 好的 我们确认一下 |
[22:52] | …and make sure I have the updated schedules today. | 保证我今天拿到最新的日程安排 |
[22:55] | – Arnie, good to see you. – Congratulations, Barry. | -Arnie 很高兴见到你 -祝贺你 Barry |
[23:00] | Listen, you ran one hell of a campaign. We just got lucky. | 听着 你在竞选活动中表现很出色 我们只是侥幸胜出 |
[23:03] | Let me take your coat. | 我帮你拿着大衣吧 |
[23:05] | I’m sorry for the wait… | 很抱歉让你久等 |
[23:07] | …but the president-elect had to step out with the wife… | 但当选总统不得不抽身 |
[23:10] | …to check out some schools for the kids. | 陪夫人去帮孩子们挑选学校 |
[23:13] | He asked me to have you wait in here. | 他嘱咐我让你在这等等 |
[23:16] | It won’t be long. | 不会耽误太久时间的 |
[23:17] | – Can I get you anything? – I don’t think so. | -需要些什么东西吗? -不 |
[23:20] | – Senator Robertson’s on line three. – Excuse me. I’ve gotta take this. | -参议员Robertson在3号电话上等着 -抱歉 我得去应付一下 |
[24:00] | Do you think St. Albans was a little, you know, stuffy? | 你是否觉得St. Albans有点乏味? |
[24:04] | A little? | 才一点? |
[24:06] | – Bancroft was more down to earth. – Yep. | -Bancroft更是乏味得令人窒息 -对 |
[24:12] | What? | 什么? |
[24:14] | The idea of spending $25,000 for fifth grade. | 五年级一学年花费2万5千美元 |
[24:18] | Ridiculous. | 简直荒唐 |
[24:20] | What would public school be like if we spent 25,000 per pupil? | 如果每个学生要花费2万5千美元 公立学校会变成什么样子? |
[24:24] | In one year, we will spend more for two kids than my entire education cost. | 一年之内我们花费在两个孩子身上的钱 比我整个教育生涯所花费的还多 |
[24:28] | Hey, I actually got a paycheck at Annapolis. | 我其实收到了在安纳波利斯工作的薪水 |
[24:32] | Where is the next school? | 下一间学校在哪? |
[24:35] | What next school? I thought we were only doing two schools today. | 什么下一间学校? 我以为我们今天就看两所学校 |
[24:38] | I told your scheduler we had three schools. | 我告诉了你的日程安排人员 我们要去三所 |
[24:40] | I can’t do another school today. I have to get back to the office. | 我今天不能再多去一所了 我得回去办公室 |
[24:46] | I’ve got Arnold Vinick waiting for me. | 我让Arnold Vinick在那等着我呢 |
[25:05] | The president-elect is on the line for you. | 当选总统打电话你 |
[25:13] | – Hello. – Arnie, thanks for coming in to see me. | -你好 -Arnie 感谢你来见我 |
[25:17] | Listen, I’m really sorry about the scheduling mix-up. | 对于日程安排的混乱 我感到非常抱歉 |
[25:20] | We’re looking at schools for kids, and it’s taking longer than we thought. | 我们正在为孩子们找学校 比我们预料的要更久些 |
[25:25] | I understand. | 我理解 |
[25:27] | Can we push our meeting back about an hour? | 我们能把见面时间推迟一小时吗? |
[25:29] | Well, my schedule’s pretty busy these days. | 呃 我这些天的日程安排很紧 |
[25:32] | – Let’s see what our staffs can work out. – Yeah, sure. | -那看看我们的工作人员怎么安排吧 -好的 当然 |
[25:38] | I really appreciate any time that you can give me today. | 我非常感激你今天花时间过来 |
[25:40] | And again, I’m sorry about having to reschedule. | 修改行程的事 我再次向你道歉 |
[25:43] | No problem. | 没关系 |
[25:59] | Grande, nonfat chai for Jim. | 中杯装脱脂chai给Jim |
[26:04] | – Coffee of the day. – Tall, grande or venti? | 今天推出的咖啡 小杯 中杯 还是大杯? |
[26:08] | – What size? – Whatever’s biggest. | 大小? 最大杯的 |
[26:12] | – Name? – Sen… | 名字? 参… |
[26:15] | Arnie. | |
[26:16] | Venti coffee of the day for Ernie. | 今天推出的大杯装咖啡给Arnie |
[26:21] | I wouldn’t send our kids to that school if they paid us. | 我不会送我们孩子去那学校 除非他们付钱给我们 |
[26:24] | I didn’t see a single kid smiling in there. | 那里没一个孩子脸上有笑容 |
[26:27] | So it’s Bancroft, I guess. | 我想选Bancroft |
[26:31] | Maybe we should look at some public schools too. | 或许我们该看看公立学校 |
[26:34] | D.C. Public schools are the worst. | 华盛顿的公立学校是最差的了 |
[26:35] | Didn’t Vinick say something like D.C. Has the lowest test scores in the country? | 难道Vinick没说 华盛顿的成绩是全国最低的吗? |
[26:39] | Well, there’s gotta be some good public schools in the district. | 在区里应该有些好的公立学校 |
[26:44] | Hello? | 你好? |
[26:46] | Yes, we are on our way right now. | 是的 我们就在路上了 |
[26:49] | I am late for the White House decorator. | 约了白宫的油漆工 但我迟到了 |
[26:54] | There’s gotta be at least one good public school. | 至少会有一间好的公立学校的 |
[26:56] | Do you know any congressmen who send their kids to D.C. Public schools? | 你认识哪个国会议员 会把孩子送到华盛顿公立学校的? |
[27:00] | What’s this about? Afraid they’re gonna get spoiled going to a rich kids’ school? | 这是怎么了? 担心送他们去有钱人的学校会宠坏他们吗? |
[27:06] | A little, yeah. | 是的 有点 |
[27:07] | You think having one maid pick up their socks… | 你认为让一个仆人帮他们捡袜子 |
[27:10] | …and another pick up their underwear is not going to spoil them? | 另一个帮他们拿内衣裤 就不会宠坏他们? |
[27:14] | Going to a fancy private school is gonna be the most normal thing about them. | |
[27:22] | Yeah, but… | 也对 但是… |
[27:27] | You wanna look at a public school, we will look at a public school, okay? | 你想要找间公立学校 我们就找间公立学校 好了吧? |
[27:38] | I need the schedule for tomorrow’s G8 meeting… | 我想要明天G8会议的日程安排 |
[27:41] | …and the joint statement on Kazakhstan. | 还有对哈萨克斯坦的联合声明 |
[27:44] | Trade rep wants you to okay this memo… | 贸易部想要你确认 |
[27:46] | …on agricultural subsidies going to the president. | 把这份关于农业津贴的备忘录 交给总统 |
[27:48] | – Hi. | – Hi. -你好 -你好 |
[27:53] | I have a 3:00. | 我约了3点 |
[27:57] | – With the decorator. – Oh, right. That’s in there. | -和油漆工 -哦 对 在那里 |
[28:01] | Oh, thanks. | 谢谢 |
[28:04] | And this is the language State approved for tomorrow’s briefing. | 这是为明天的简报核对好的文稿 |
[28:28] | Mrs. Santos. | Santos夫人 |
[28:33] | – Mrs. Santos, I’m Gail Addison. – It’s nice to meet you. | -Santos夫人 我是Gail Addison. -非常高兴见到你 |
[28:38] | As you know, we have very little in the budget for redecorating. | 如你所知 我们只有很少的预算来重新进行装修 |
[28:41] | – Oh, well, how much is very little? – Two hundred thousand. | 哦 很少是多少? 20万 |
[28:44] | You might want to establish a fundraising committee… | 你或许要建立一个筹款委员会 |
[28:47] | …to raise a few million and do it right. | 筹集几百万资金来完成装修 |
[28:50] | There really is a lot to do, especially in this room. | 事实上有很多要干的 尤其是这间房间 |
[28:54] | I’ve never liked the color of this rug, but the Bartlets… | 我从不喜欢这地毯的颜色 但Bartlet一家… |
[28:58] | Well, it’s all up to you now. | 现在由你决定了 |
[29:01] | Well, it looks good to me. | 我觉得还好 |
[29:04] | Oh, but there are many ways… | 在白宫里 |
[29:06] | …you can put your personal touch on the White House. | 有许多地方你能够加入自己的个性 |
[29:09] | Well, I will leave that up to my kids. | 我会把那个留给我孩子们决定 |
[29:11] | There are gonna be a lot of crayon marks… | 告诉你 到我们离开白宫时 |
[29:13] | …that we’ll have to remove when we leave. | 会有许多的粉笔涂鸦需要清除 |
[29:16] | Speaking of the kids… | 说到孩子们 |
[29:17] | Here’s what I’ve sketched for Peter’s room, a cowboy theme. | 这是我为Peter的房间设计的草图 牛仔主题 |
[29:22] | And here’s what I came up with for Miranda’s room. | 这是我为Miranda的房间设计的草图 |
[29:24] | A place a princess would love. | 公主会喜爱的那一型 |
[29:30] | That’ll work. Yeah, okay. | 那会有用的 是 好的 |
[29:35] | Arnie, thanks so much for coming in. | Arnie 非常感谢你的光临 |
[29:37] | – I’m sorry about that scheduling screwup. – It’s okay. | -对于行程的混乱 我很抱歉 -没关系 |
[29:40] | I’m booked every minute of the day now. | 现在我每时每刻都预定满了 |
[29:42] | It’s worse than the campaign. No time to think at all. | 比起竞选时更糟了 根本没有一点时间去思考 |
[29:46] | In any event, I appreciate you rescheduling so fast. | 无论如何 我感激你能这么快腾出时间 |
[29:50] | Where are the cameras? | 照相机在哪? |
[29:53] | This isn’t a photo op. | 这次会面不是为了照相 |
[29:57] | – Would you like some coffee? – No, thanks. | -要杯咖啡吗? -不 谢了 |
[30:01] | Please. | 请坐 |
[30:08] | I need your advice. | 我需要你的建议 |
[30:10] | – My advice? – Yeah. | -我的建议? -对 |
[30:12] | – On what? – The vice-presidency. | -建议什么? -副总统人选 |
[30:15] | What about it? | 怎么了? |
[30:17] | I have a legal memo that says… | 我有个法律备忘录 |
[30:19] | …that I can ask the Electoral College to vote for whoever I want… | 说我能让选举团选举我想要的任何一个人 |
[30:22] | You can’t let 272 people no one has ever heard of… | 你不能让272个谁都不认识的人 |
[30:25] | …elect the vice president of the United States. | 来选举美国的副总统 |
[30:28] | If you’re gonna have an unelected V. P… | 如果你真要个没经选举的副总统 |
[30:30] | …at least let the elected representatives of the people vote for him… | 你至少要让选举出来的代表们投他票 |
[30:35] | …and to submit the name for congressional confirmation. | 并把名单提交国会审核 |
[30:38] | You gotta go through an open process… | 你必须经过一个公开的过程 |
[30:40] | …public process that people understand and accept. | 一个人民会理解并接受的过程 |
[30:43] | I agree. | 我同意 |
[30:45] | – You do? – Yeah. | -真的? -对 |
[30:46] | Do you think the Senate Republicans will get rough? | 你认为参议院的共和党人会同意吗? |
[30:52] | Well, that depends on who you pick. | 那要看你挑谁 |
[30:56] | Is the vice-presidency something that you would consider? | 你会考虑副总统职位吗? |
[31:04] | – Are you offering it? – Would you consider it? | -你在向我提供这个职位吗? -你会考虑吗? |
[31:07] | – If you offered it? – If I offered it. | -如果你提供这个职位? -如果我提供 |
[31:09] | – To a Republican? – To you. | -给一个共和党人? -给你 |
[31:13] | Would I consider it? | 我会考虑吗? |
[31:16] | And if I considered it, you’d put me on your short list? | 如果我考虑的话 你会把我放上最后的候选名单? |
[31:19] | – Yes. – You still gonna try to raise taxes? | -是的 -你依然会试图提税? |
[31:21] | – Only on incomes over a million. – So you’d offer the vice-presidency… | -只对收入过百万的人提税 -那么 你要把副总统的职位交给一个 |
[31:25] | …to someone who, if anything happened to you… | 在你发生了什么事 而且尸骨未寒的时候 |
[31:29] | …would be trying to cut those taxes while your body was still warm? | 会试图减税的人? |
[31:34] | I might. | 我会 |
[31:37] | If I considered it? | 如果我考虑? |
[31:46] | Nice try. I know your game. | 好花招 我知道你的把戏 |
[31:50] | Get me to say I’d consider it, then you have your people leak it to the press. | 你想让我说我会考虑 然后让你的手下透露给报社 |
[31:55] | And that gives you a couple of days of stories about… | 之后连续几天在报纸上都会 |
[31:58] | …how bipartisan Matt Santos is. I mean, “He’s even got a Republican… | 赞扬你是如何团结两党的 我的意思是 |
[32:02] | …on his short list for vice president.” | “他甚至把共和党人 列入副总统候选人名单” |
[32:04] | You figure that’ll soften the Republicans… | 你算好那会让共和党人放软态度 |
[32:07] | …and they’ll talk about a confirmation for Vinick. | 他们会讨论批准Vinick |
[32:09] | Then you announce who you really want, which I assume is Baker. | 然后你才宣布你真正想要的人 我猜那人是Baker |
[32:13] | Then you put public pressure on the Senate… | 之后你会对参议院施以舆论压力 |
[32:15] | …to give the same speedy confirmation… | 要求他们以表决通过Vinick的速度 |
[32:17] | …to Baker that they were gonna give to Vinick. | 表决通过Baker |
[32:26] | What do you think of Baker? | 你认为Baker人怎样? |
[32:28] | I think he wins you Pennsylvania. | 我想他在宾夕法尼亚州胜了你 |
[32:31] | I think he has a lock on the presidential nomination eight years from now. | 我想他现在起8年内会保有总统任命 |
[32:36] | Senate Republicans are gonna have a little problem with that. | 参议院的共和党人不会轻易让他成功的 |
[32:39] | What are you gonna do next? | 你接下来要做些什么? |
[32:45] | I’ll do what I’m… | 我会做… |
[32:47] | What I’m good at. | 我擅长的 |
[32:50] | You’re going to run again? | 你还会参选? |
[32:52] | I hope you get your tax increase. It’ll give me something to run against. | 我希望你能提税 那能给我竞选的资本 |
[32:57] | You got a minute to talk about Kazakhstan? | 你能花些时间谈谈哈萨克斯坦问题吗? |
[33:00] | I don’t get a daily intelligence report. All I know is what I read in the papers. | 我没有每日情况报告 我所知道的都是报上读来的 |
[33:04] | A lot of what you read is better than our intelligence. | 你从报上读来的许多东西 比我们的情报有用多了 |
[33:07] | I was impressed with what you said about Kazakhstan during the campaign. | 我对你在竞选时关于哈萨克斯坦的谈话印象深刻 |
[33:11] | I always had wished that I had said it first. | 我一直希望我比你先说出那话来 |
[33:15] | The good cop, bad cop routine you and Bartlet worked out… | 你和Bartlet作出的软硬兼施政策 |
[33:18] | …seems to be the only thing you can do. | 看起来是你唯一的伎俩 |
[33:20] | – What do you mean? – You two must’ve coordinated messages. | -你什么意思? -你们两个一定达成了共识 |
[33:24] | You’re not reckless enough to undermine the president on foreign policy… | 在危机时刻 攻击总统的外交政策 |
[33:27] | …in the middle of a crisis. | 这一招 你并不是草率为之 |
[33:30] | You’re trying to make the Russians and the Chinese… | 你试图让俄罗斯和中国 |
[33:33] | …believe that it’s gonna be tougher to deal with you than Bartlet. | 相信对付你比对付Bartlet更难 |
[33:37] | Put pressure on them to negotiate a settlement with Bartlet now. | 向他们施压 让他们现在与Bartlet谈判和解 |
[33:40] | Well, it could work. | 这招不错 |
[33:44] | I’m gonna need another cop when Bartlet leaves office. | 当Bartlet离开白宫时 我需要另外一个唱双簧的 |
[33:54] | How about Secretary of State? | 国务卿怎样? |
[33:58] | – You gonna go with Reynolds? – Maybe. If I don’t get my first choice. | -你要任命Reynolds? -可能 如果我得不到我的第一人选的话 |
[34:03] | – Who’s that? – That would be you. | -是谁? -是你 |
[34:11] | Secretary of State? | 国务卿? |
[34:13] | You’ve got better relationships with all the important heads of state than I do. | 在这个国家 你与大人物们的关系比我和他们的要好多了 |
[34:18] | You know the diplomatic corps. You’re respected in every capital in the world. | 你认识外交使节团 世界各国政府都尊重你 |
[34:23] | You agree with me on foreign policy. | 你同意我的外交政策 |
[34:28] | And you are the best strategic thinker I know. | 你是我认识的最棒的战略家 |
[34:33] | I’m not asking you if you’d consider it, Arnie, I’m asking you to do it. | 我不是叫你考虑这职务 我是叫你担任这职务 |
[34:43] | What happened to the game of getting him to consider V. P? | 让他考虑当副总统的把戏结果怎样? |
[34:46] | He read that play. The guy’s brilliant. | 他看穿了 他很精明 |
[34:48] | – He’s a Republican. – He’s who we need. | -他是共和党人 -他是我们需要的人 |
[34:50] | You’re saying there’s not a Democrat who can handle State as well as Vinick? | 你是说没有一个民主党人 能像Vinick一样管理好这国家? |
[34:54] | Well, that’s not exactly what I would go out there and say publicly, but yeah. | 我绝对不会在公开场合承认 但确实如此 |
[34:58] | Well, he’s not going to accept it. | 他不会接受的 |
[35:00] | But he’ll make sure the press finds out whoever we end up with was second. | 但他会让报社知道不管我们最后选谁 都仅仅是第二人选 |
[35:04] | – He’s not gonna leak it. – Sure he is. | -他不会透露出去的 -他会的 |
[35:06] | He never leaked that Bartlet offered him that U.N. Job. | 他从没透露过 Bartlet曾邀请他干联合国那份工作 |
[35:09] | Was he serious about running again? | 他当真想要再次参加总统竞选? |
[35:11] | – Yeah. – Then he’s gonna leak this. | -是的 -那么他会透露出去的 |
[35:13] | Maybe, but this is the risk I’ve decided to take. | 或许 但我决定冒这个险 |
[35:18] | – Secretary of State? – He gave me the hard sell. | -国务卿? -他强行推销给我 |
[35:20] | – “Country needs you,” the whole bit. – What did you say? | -“国家需要你”之类的 -你说什么了? |
[35:23] | I turned him down, on the spot. | 我当场拒绝了他 |
[35:25] | And then he asked me to sleep on it and give him my final answer tomorrow. | 之后他叫我好好考虑 明天给他最终答复 |
[35:29] | You gotta do this. It’s perfect for you. | 你该接受的 那对你来说好极了 |
[35:31] | You ran a campaign to try to unify the country. | 你参加竞选是为了联合这个国家 |
[35:34] | Now it looks like Santos is trying to put together an administration… | 现在看来 Santos正试图创建联合各政党的政权 |
[35:37] | …that will unify the country. The president says he needs you. | 总统说他需要你 |
[35:44] | – The country needs you. – I disagree with him about everything. | -国家需要你 -我跟他没有任何观点是一样 |
[35:47] | – Not everything. – You don’t disagree on foreign policy. | 并不是所有 你同意他的外交政策 |
[35:49] | You think about it differently, you use different rhetoric… | 你从不同角度去考虑问题 你有不同的外交风格 |
[35:52] | …but you agree on the objectives. | 但是你同意他的外交目标 |
[35:55] | He just wants to take me out of the campaign. | 他只是想让我不再参加竞选 |
[35:57] | He’s afraid to run against me again. | 他害怕再和我一起竞选 |
[36:00] | Okay, he’s just using me. | 好的 他只是在利用我 |
[36:03] | He appoints a Republican so the Republicans’ll let him have Baker as V.P. | 他以为任命了共和党人 共和党人就会允许他让Baker做副总统 |
[36:07] | – He doesn’t really want me. – They’d horse-trade with a job like State? | -他不是真心想要我 -你认为他们会拿国家的工作开玩笑吗? |
[36:12] | No. | 不 |
[36:18] | You really don’t think I can win, do you? | 你不认为我能赢 是吗? |
[36:20] | Maybe if you were 10 years younger. | 如果你年轻10岁的话 |
[36:23] | Baby boomers are turning 60. There’s gonna be a huge… | 生育高峰期的孩子就快进入60岁了 |
[36:26] | …over-60 vote in the next election. – You’re not a boomer. | -下次选举中将有大量超过60岁的人的选票 -你不是生育高峰期的孩子 |
[36:29] | Should’ve started lying about my age long ago. | 应该是 如果以前就开始谎报我的年龄就好了 |
[36:31] | It’s not just your age. | 不仅仅是你年龄的问题 |
[36:33] | Stevenson got the nomination twice in a row. | Stevenson曾连续两次获提名 |
[36:35] | Fifty years ago, and he lost both times. | 那是50年前 而且他两次都失败了 |
[36:46] | You know, the only thing that tempts me to do this… | 你们知道 唯一让我想干那工作的 |
[36:51] | …is Santos’ second choice. Reynolds. | 是因为Santos的第二选择是Reynolds |
[36:57] | Wanna see a Secretary of State screw up the world, give the job to Reynolds. | 要是想看美国国务卿如何搞砸这世界 就把这个工作交给Reynolds |
[37:11] | You can enter the history books as maybe the last honorable senator… | 也许你能作为一个可敬的参议员 |
[37:15] | …and a great secretary of state. | 和一个伟大的国务卿 被载入史册 |
[37:18] | Or you can be the guy who just didn’t know when to quit. | 或者成为一个不知进退的人 |
[37:28] | The students seem pretty happy here. | 学生们在这里看起来很开心 |
[37:29] | We’ve got a great group of kids, and the parents are very supportive. | 我们有一群很好的学生 家长们也非常支持我们 |
[37:33] | What’s the makeup of the student body? | 学生的组成结构怎样? |
[37:35] | Forty-one percent African-American, 30 percent white… | 百分之四十一的非裔美国人 百分之三十白人 |
[37:38] | …19 percent Hispanic, and 9 percent Asian. | 百分之十九西班牙裔 百分之九亚裔 |
[37:41] | How many free-lunch kids? | 有多少受支助生? |
[37:42] | Eight percent. | 百分之八 |
[37:44] | – That sounds low for the district. – The lowest. | -在这一区听起来算少了 -是最少的 |
[37:47] | I’m a bit surprised there are no metal detectors in the school. | 我很惊讶学校里竟然没有金属探测器 |
[37:51] | D.C. Doesn’t have any metal detectors in the elementary schools. | 华盛顿的小学没有任何金属探测器 |
[37:55] | That’s okay. We know what our public image is. | 没关系 我们知道我们的公众形象 |
[37:58] | That’s why it’s an honor for us you’d consider… | 这就是为什么当您考虑送孩子来这里 |
[38:00] | …sending your children here. | 让我们感到荣幸之至 |
[38:02] | Needless to say, it would be an incredible show of support… | 更不必说 如果你们送他们来 |
[38:05] | …for the system if you would. | 这会是对整个体系莫大的支持 |
[38:07] | – Sorry. I shouldn’t… – Cathy, you run a great school. | -抱歉 我不该… -Cathy 你经营了一所很棒的学校 |
[38:09] | – You’ll be hearing from us. – Thank you. | -我们会尽快回复你的 -谢谢 |
[38:11] | – Thank you very much. – Thank you. | -非常感谢 -谢谢 |
[38:20] | What do you think? | 你怎样认为? |
[38:22] | It’s perfect. | 很完美 |
[38:26] | The president-elect’s office, please hold. | 当选总统的办公室 请稍等 |
[38:29] | Senator Vinick, the president-elect is waiting. I’ll let him know you’re here. | Vinick参议员 当选总统在等你 我告诉他你来了 |
[38:33] | President-elect’s office, please hold. | 当选总统的办公室 请稍等 |
[38:35] | Let it leak that I’m considering asking the Electoral College to vote for Baker. | 我要你把我考虑让选举团选Baker 的消息透露出去 |
[38:40] | The Republicans’ll start screaming, demanding confirmation hearings. | 共和党人会尖叫 要求审核听证的 |
[38:43] | I say, “I’m concerned congressional confirmation will take too long. | 我会说“我担心国会审核会花费太多时间 |
[38:47] | This is too dangerous a time to be without a V.P., even for a day.” | 没有副总统对现在来说是非常危险的 即使只是一天” |
[38:51] | Force Republicans to swear to run a quick confirmation. | 强制共和党人承诺快速审核 |
[38:54] | Then call them on it. | 那快呼吁他们吧 |
[38:56] | Get that new Democratic House to run a quick confirmation and a vote. | 确保新的民主党众议院快速审核与投票 |
[38:59] | Put pressure on the Senate to act fast. | 施压给参议院快速行动 |
[39:01] | Don’t give them time to come up with phony reasons to vote against Baker. | 别给他们时间编造出反对选Baker的原因 |
[39:06] | Vinick’s here. | Vinick到了 |
[39:09] | Hey, Arnie. | 你好 Arnie. |
[39:11] | You can go right in. | 你可以直接进来 |
[39:13] | What’s he trying to pull, Barry? | 他想干些什么 Barry? |
[39:16] | It sure as hell wasn’t my idea. | 这绝不是我的主意 |
[39:18] | And you’d be doing me a big favor with the party if you turn it down. | 如果你拒绝了 就帮了我和我们党一个大忙了 |
[39:30] | – Arnie, I really appreciate you coming. – Your strategy’s not gonna work. | -Arnie 非常感激你的光临 -你的诡计不会起作用的 |
[39:34] | Which strategy? | 什么诡计? |
[39:35] | You knew I’d turn this down. | 你知道我会拒绝的 |
[39:37] | You leak that you offered me State, so you look like Mr. Bipartisan. | 你会透露出去邀请我做国务卿的事 然后你就会看起来像个团结两党的人 |
[39:40] | – I haven’t leaked it. – Yet. | -我没有透露 -目前没有罢了 |
[39:43] | You think offering me State will help you get Baker past Senate. | 你认为让我做国务卿 Baker就能通过参议院那关 |
[39:46] | – Everyone will know it’s a phony offer. – This isn’t about Baker. | -每个人都知道那是个虚伪的邀请 -这和Baker无关 |
[39:49] | I want you as Secretary of State. You’re my first choice. | 我想你做国务卿 你是我的第一人选 |
[39:53] | I wouldn’t lift a finger to help Baker with Republicans. | 我不会帮Baker应付共和党人的 |
[39:57] | I’ll get Baker confirmed. I don’t need you for that. | 我会让Baker过关的 我不是因为那而邀请你 |
[40:00] | Secretary of State is not something you throw at the other party… | 国务卿不是你能丢给外党 来显示你有多么团结的东西 |
[40:04] | …to show how bipartisan you are. The job is way more important than that. | 那份工作的份量更重 |
[40:08] | This is your representative to the world. | 他是你在世界的代表 |
[40:10] | I agree. | 我同意 |
[40:13] | You think you can make me Secretary of State and then ignore me… | 你认为你能让我当国务卿 然后绕过我 |
[40:16] | …and run all foreign policy out of the White House? | 直接执掌白宫外的所有外交政策? |
[40:18] | – No. – Anybody good enough to appoint… | -不 -因为任何能胜任的人 |
[40:20] | …would quit the day you try to go around the State Department. | 都会在你耍弄国务院的那天辞职 |
[40:23] | I don’t want to go around you. I want you to do the job. | 我不想耍弄你 我想你干那份工作 |
[40:28] | – And when we disagree? – I’d give you the time you need… | -当我们出现分歧呢? -我会给你足够的时间 |
[40:31] | …to set me straight. | 去指正我 |
[40:34] | And then I’d expect you to go out there and sell whatever decision I’ve made. | 然后我期待你去推销我做的决定 |
[40:46] | I’d have to have my own deputy secretary. | 我要有我自己的代理部长 |
[40:49] | Pick any Democrat you want. | 挑你想要的任何一个民主党人 |
[40:51] | – And the undersecretaries? – I will consult with you on all of them. | 副部长呢? 我会和你商量所有的人选 |
[40:55] | I wouldn’t do one thing that smelled of campaigning for you. | 我不会做任何一件看起来是为你助选的事 |
[41:01] | I’d never set foot in your fundraisers… | 我不会插足你的筹款活动 |
[41:03] | …and you couldn’t drag me to a Democratic Party event. | 你不能拉我参加民主党的聚会 |
[41:06] | Obviously. | 当然不会 |
[41:08] | If the undersecretary for political affairs does one partisan thing, I’m out. | 如果副部长搞党派阴谋 我就退出 |
[41:12] | I understand. | 我明白 |
[41:19] | I don’t know. I don’t know. | 我不知道 我不知道 |
[41:27] | This is crazy. I don’t see how this can work. | 这太疯了 我看不出这怎么行得通 |
[41:34] | Here’s today’s intelligence report on Kazakhstan. | 这是今天的哈萨克斯坦的情报 |
[41:42] | There’s a interesting item in there on page two. | 在第二页有个有趣的内容 |
[41:48] | Second paragraph. | 第二段 |
[41:52] | What, the Chinese demanding a veto on routing of the pipeline? | 什么 中国要求否决石油管道的路线? |
[41:55] | Yeah, they’ve never said that before. | 是的 他们之前从没提起 |
[41:57] | Don’t worry. Chinese know they haven’t a chance… | 不要担心 中国人知道他们没机会得逞 |
[42:00] | …of getting that, but they think the Russians do. | 但他们认为俄罗斯能 |
[42:03] | So they demand it now before the Russians, so we won’t help either one. | 所以他们要在俄罗斯之前提出要求 目的是想要我们保持中立 |
[42:07] | So how do we move them out of their positions… | 那我们该怎样改变他们现在的僵局 |
[42:09] | …get them to agree to a compromise? | 让他们彼此作出妥协? |
[42:11] | You can lay the groundwork for that now. | 你现在就可以打下基础 |
[42:14] | You let both sides know that in the endgame… | 让他们都知道 到了最后 |
[42:17] | …the Russians will have to get a share of Kazakhstan oil production… | 俄罗斯将在哈萨克斯坦的石油生产上分一杯羹 |
[42:20] | …and the Chinese are gonna have to have the pipeline. | 中国将得到石油管道 |
[42:23] | You make sure they understand you’re the one setting the agenda. | 确保他们知道 是你安排议程的 |
[42:27] | You don’t have to make it explicit, just hint at it. | 你不需要直接说 暗示就够了 |
[42:31] | Put yourself in the position… | 把你的位置放在… |