英文名称:They Shall Not Grow Old
年代:2018
推荐:千部英美剧台词本阅读
时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:52] | ‘I gave every part of my youth | 我青春的每一寸时光 |
[00:56] | to do a job and to go through a savage war.’ | 都献给了一场野蛮的战争 |
[01:00] | ‘It was a different war from year to year | 这场战争持续了很多年 |
[01:03] | and one’s reactions were completely different. | 并且每个人对它态度都不尽相同 |
[01:06] | The intensity changed so much that | 这场战争强度变化十分剧烈 |
[01:08] | anybody who’d been out in 1914 | 倘若一名军人1914年退伍回家 |
[01:10] | and went home, then came back in 1917, | 1917年又重新回到战场 |
[01:12] | wouldn’t recognise it as the same war.’ | 他完全认不出来这是同一场战争 |
[01:16] | ‘I could only say one thing: I wouldn’t have missed it. | 我只说一件事 我绝不会错过它的 |
[01:18] | It was terrible at times, but I wouldn’t have missed it.’ | 有时它的确很可怕 但是我绝不会错过 |
[01:21] | ‘Oh, yes, if I could have my time again, | 没错 要是可以重新来过 |
[01:24] | I’d go through it all over again | 我会选择重新经历一遍 |
[01:26] | because I enjoyed the service life.’ | 因为我很享受服役的日子 |
[01:28] | ‘I could only say that I have never been so excited in my life. | 我想说我这辈子从来没有那么兴奋过 |
[01:32] | This was like a boy going to the play for the first time.’ | 感觉就像是一个男孩第一次玩游戏一样 |
[01:35] | ‘I never realised there was anything unusual about it. | 我从没觉得这有什么不正常的 |
[01:39] | There was a job to be done and you just got on and did it.’ | 有一项工作需要人去做 你就去了 |
[01:42] | ‘We were all instilled with that idea | 我们被灌输的思想就是 |
[01:45] | that this was war and that we’d got to kill the Germans | 这是场战争 我们必须杀死德国人 |
[01:48] | and this was how we looked at the thing.’ | 我们就是这样看待这件事的 |
[01:50] | ‘I don’t regret having experienced it. | 我不曾后悔有这样的经历 |
[01:53] | I wish I hadn’t, but I don’t regret it, | 我希望我没经历过 但是我并不后悔 |
[01:55] | because I’m safe. ‘ | 因为我很安全 |
[01:58] | ‘There were good times and bad times in France, | 在法国的时候 有好时光也有不好的时光 |
[02:01] | but you took the rough with the smooth.’ | 但是你要不以物喜 不以己悲 |
[02:03] | ‘I was twice wounded and gassed, but it just didn’t worry me. | 我有两次负伤和中毒气 但是我并不担心 |
[02:07] | I just made the best of it.’ | 我只能尽力做到最好 |
[02:09] | ‘Just took it in its stride, like everybody else. | 像其他人一样 从容面对 |
[02:11] | We were glad to be in it and we expected it to be rough, | 我们很高兴能参与其中 都以为会很艰难 |
[02:14] | and it was rough, but we didn’t complain.’ | 也的确很艰难 但是没有人抱怨 |
[02:17] | ‘There was no real excitement about it. | 没什么真正值得兴奋的 |
[02:20] | You’d seen death so many times, | 在看过了无数的尸体 |
[02:21] | you’d seen wounded so many times, | 见过无数的伤员之后 |
[02:23] | blood didn’t excite you. | 血并不会让你感到兴奋 |
[02:25] | We were professionals and, | 我们是专业的 |
[02:27] | to us, it was just a job of work.’ | 对我们而言这只是一份工作而已 |
[02:29] | ‘It would be a fallacy to say that one enjoyed it, | 要说有人享受战争 这是不对的 |
[02:33] | but one got afterwards a nice, warm inner feeling | 但在那之后会有种美好温暖的内心感受 |
[02:36] | that one had been of some use.’ | 这对我是十分受益的 |
[02:38] | ‘It didn’t affect me very much, | 它对我的影响并不是很大 |
[02:40] | because I wasn’t sufficiently up in the ways of the world. | 因为我当时还涉世未深 |
本电影台词包含不重复单词:2150个。 其中的生词包含:四级词汇:505个,六级词汇:232个,GRE词汇:282个,托福词汇:343个,考研词汇:533个,专四词汇:410个,专八词汇:89个, 所有生词标注共:1015个。 定制生词标注的台词本和单词统计,请访问生词标注台词本 | ||
[02:43] | I was only a kid, like other blokes there. | 我还是个孩子 像那的很多小伙子一样 |
[02:45] | It was more like a great, big game to be enjoyed, | 除了真切的炮声和其他类似的东西 |
[02:49] | apart from the actual shelling and all that sort of thing.’ | 它更像是一场令人享受的宏伟比赛 |
[02:52] | ‘It made me a man, yes, it did. | 它让我成了一个真正的男人 是的 |
[02:55] | I don’t think I should have ever been the man I am | 我想如果当时我没有参军的话 |
[02:57] | if it hadn’t been for having to serve.’ | 我不会成为现在这样的人 |
[03:00] | ‘You’d learn to look after yourself | 你必须要学会照顾你自己 |
[03:03] | whereas, in your civilian life, your mother did all the chores. | 在家里 妈妈会帮你做所有的家务 |
[03:07] | You’ve got to learn how to cook | 在这里 你不得不学习做饭 |
[03:09] | for yourself, darn your own socks, | 学习补袜子 |
[03:11] | sew on your own buttons and all the things like that.’ | 还要为自己补纽扣等等这类事情 |
[03:14] | ‘It was just a day’s work. | 仅仅一天之后 |
[03:15] | I knew that I was not alone. | 我就知道我并不孤单 |
[03:18] | I knew that I wasn’t fighting the war by myself | 我明白了我并不是一个人在打仗 |
[03:20] | and that what happened to other people might happen to me.’ | 还有其他人的遭遇同样会发生在我的身上 |
[03:23] | ‘I had no regrets at all but, you see, | 我并不后悔 但是你看 |
[03:25] | I had no wife, no girl, no nothing. | 我没有妻子 没有女儿 什么都没有 |
[03:27] | No regrets and no horrors… | 没有遗憾 没有畏惧 |
[03:31] | …because, if you survive that, | 因为如果你能熬过战争 |
[03:33] | you can survive anything.’ | 就没有什么熬不过去的了 |
[03:46] | ‘We were aware there was sort of | 我们知道英德之间 |
[03:48] | a nasty feeling between England and Germany, | 有一点相互讨厌的感觉 |
[03:50] | as we knew of the Kaiser’s ambition to expand his empire | 正如我们熟知的凯撒大帝扩张领土的野心 |
[03:53] | and all that sort of thing.’ | 还有诸如此类的史实 |
[03:55] | ‘During that summer, | 那个夏天 |
[03:57] | there was a lot of talk about trouble going on in the Balkans, | 很多人讨论巴尔干半岛上不断上演的冲突 |
[04:01] | but we were a long way from the Balkans | 但是我们距离巴尔干半岛很遥远 |
[04:03] | and it didn’t worry us at all.’ | 我们一点也不担心 |
[04:06] | ‘It was that Serbia business, wasn’t it? | 这是塞尔维亚自己的事 不是吗 |
[04:07] | Serbia, when that chap was shot.’ | 塞尔维亚 那个家伙被枪杀的时候 |
[04:10] | ‘I was paying attention to politics | 我当时很关心政治 |
[04:12] | and I realised there was going to be | 我意识到英德之间 |
[04:14] | trouble between England and Germany.’ | 将会出现大的矛盾 |
[04:17] | ‘Well, it was a lovely August 4th morning.’ | 那是8月4日一个令人愉悦的早晨 |
[04:20] | ‘We were all seated round the table | 我们所有人都围坐在桌旁 |
[04:22] | and we were starting the rugby football | 开始了和德国队的 |
[04:24] | dinner with the German team. | 橄榄球晚宴 |
[04:26] | There was a German here and next to him was an Englishman, | 一个德国人 旁边一个英国人 |
[04:29] | and next to him was a German, and so on and so on. | 再旁边又是德国人 这样一直往后排 |
[04:31] | And a runner arrived into the middle of this dinner | 晚宴中间 有一个人跑了进来 |
[04:34] | with extraordinary news of outbreak of war.’ | 宣布了战争爆发了这一爆炸性新闻 |
[04:37] | ‘There was a big placard: “War declared on Germany.”‘ | 当时有一个大标语”向德意志宣战” |
[04:40] | ‘We didn’t know what we ought to do, | 我们当时并不知道该怎么做 |
[04:43] | whether we ought to seize a knife off the table | 是该从桌子上抄起一把刀 |
[04:45] | and plunge it into the German or what, | 插到德国人身上还是怎么 |
[04:48] | but after a little bit of discussion | 但是经过一个小小的讨论 |
[04:50] | we decided that, as far as we were concerned, | 我们决定 对我们而言 |
[04:53] | the war was going to start tomorrow, and the party proceeded.’ | 战争明天开始 派对继续进行 |
[05:00] | ‘I’m proud of being a Britisher. | 我为自己身为英国人而自豪 |
[05:02] | I mean, I think we’re as good a country as any in the world | 我觉得英国是世界上最好的国家 |
[05:05] | and you’ve got to be prepared to fight for that.’ | 你必须要准备好为她而战 |
[05:08] | ‘There’s no doubt about it, in the First World War, | 毫无疑问 对于第一次世界大战 |
[05:11] | we prepared for war.’ | 我们做好了准备 |
[05:13] | The Empire was strong. We weren’t afraid of anyone.’ | 大英帝国势不可挡 我们不惧任何敌人 |
[05:16] | ‘Everybody bought little buttons and waved flags and sang songs. | 所有人都买小徽章 挥舞小旗子 唱着歌 |
[05:20] | There was no feeling of despair about it at all.’ | 当时完全没有绝望的气氛 |
[05:23] | ‘England couldn’t possibly lose, | 英国绝不可能会输 |
[05:25] | no matter how many Germans pushed | 无论德国人让多少 |
[05:27] | how many Englishmen into the Channel, | 英国人葬身海峡之中 |
[05:29] | they’d get no further. | 他们也不可能更进一步 |
[05:30] | We couldn’t possible lose.’ | 我们绝不会输 |
[05:32] | ‘We were brought up to think that | 我们一直被教育 |
[05:34] | one Englishman’s worth ten Germans.’ | 一个英国士兵抵得上十个德国士兵 |
[05:36] | ‘I thought that any enemy of England | 大英帝国的敌人就是 |
[05:38] | was an enemy of mine and I wanted to be in it.’ | 我个人的敌人 我想参与到战争中 |
[05:42] | ‘Oh, six months or 12 months and it’d be all over | 差不多一年半载战争就会结束了 |
[05:44] | and Bob’s your uncle.’ | 胜利就是这么简单 |
[05:46] | ‘I went with a friend of mine into Shepherd’s Bush Empire | 我和一个朋友一起去了帝国剧院 |
[05:49] | to see the picture show there and they | 那正在播放影片 |
[05:51] | showed the fleet sailing the high seas | 正在展示军队在公海航行的画面 |
[05:53] | and played, “Britons never shall be slaves.” | 还播放着”大不列颠人民永不为奴” |
[05:55] | One feels that little shiver run up their back | 你会感到微微有些战栗 |
[05:58] | and you know you’ve got to do something.’ | 并且你心里明白必须要做些什么 |
[06:00] | ‘A friend of mine said to me, “We’re going to join up.” | 一个朋友跟我说”我们必须参军” |
[06:03] | It was from the patriotic point of view | 我想这是爱国主义的表现 |
[06:05] | and from the general excitement of the whole affair, I suppose.’ | 还有从整个事件中受到的鼓舞 |
[06:10] | ‘I didn’t believe in war to that extent, | 我并不是很想打仗 |
[06:13] | but I was prepared to do my part.’ | 但是我准备好了 |
[06:15] | ‘You see, in those days, men weren’t to think for themselves. | 在那些岁月里 人们很少为自己考虑 |
[06:19] | They just had to do what they were told | 他们所做的一切都只是服从命令 |
[06:21] | and that’s all there was to it.’ | 仅此而已 |
[06:23] | ‘Oh, my mother was very aggrieved about it | 我母亲为此感到非常的委屈 |
[06:26] | but, you know, a young man, you decide you’re going to go.’ | 但是 作为一个年轻人 要自己决定自己的道路 |
[06:30] | ‘At lunch time, I left the office, went along to Armoury House | 午饭时候 我离开办公室独自去了征兵办 |
[06:33] | and there was a queue of about 1,000 people trying to enlist.’ | 那大约有1000人在等待登记入伍 |
[06:37] | ‘Everybody thought that it would be a civilised war | 每个人都觉得这将会是一场文明战争 |
[06:39] | and wanted to be fit enough to go.’ | 并且希望自己够资格参与这场战争 |
[06:41] | ‘Two of us decided to join up together and when we told the boss | 我们俩决定一起去参军 当我们跟老板说 |
[06:45] | we were going to start training on Monday, he was very annoyed. | 我们要在周一开始训练 他非常的生气 |
[06:48] | He didn’t make any promise that our jobs | 他并没有给我们承诺说 |
[06:50] | would be there when we got back.’ | 会为我们保留工作等我们回来 |
[06:52] | ‘My mother, she said, “You wait until you’re 19.” | 我妈妈说”等到你19岁再说” |
[06:55] | See, that was the age in those days, | 看吧 那个年代都是这个年纪参军的 |
[06:58] | 19 to 35. Well, it was supposed to be.’ | 19到35岁的 本就该这样 |
[07:01] | ‘We were all lads together, you know, | 你知道的 我们当时都还是小伙子 |
[07:03] | full of excitement and all this kind of thing. | 对所有的事情都充满了兴奋 |
[07:06] | I mean, I just wanted to have a go at Jerry.’ | 我只想狠狠地揍德国佬一顿 |
[07:09] | ‘I just thought that I’d like to go and fight for the country. | 我想的是我要去为我的祖国而战 |
[07:12] | You were proud of your country | 你为自己的祖国感到骄傲 |
[07:14] | and you’d do the best you could for it | 你要为她尽自己最大的努力 |
[07:16] | and this was what most of the young | 这就是那个岁月里 |
[07:18] | people thought of doing in those days.’ | 大部分年轻人的思想 |
[07:21] | ‘My mother, she said to me, | 我的母亲告诉我 |
[07:22] | “Look, we could stop you doing this because of your age.” | 你年龄太小 我们可以阻止你参军的 |
[07:26] | I said, “Yes, I know you could, | 我说”对 我知道你可以 |
[07:27] | Mother, but I’m sure you won’t,” | 但是我肯定你不会这么做的 妈妈” |
[07:30] | which they never did.’ | 他们永远不会那么做的 |
[07:31] | ‘l just felt that all the young fellas | 我当时感觉所有适龄的年轻人 |
[07:34] | of that age were volunteering | 都在积极参军 |
[07:35] | and I thought it was my job to do the same.’ | 我就觉得我应该像他们一样 |
[07:38] | ‘I was desperately keen. | 我当时非常的渴望 |
[07:40] | A whole heap of us went. | 我们一大堆人去了 |
[07:41] | I said, “Direct enlistment, please.” | 我说”让我直接入伍 拜托了” |
[07:43] | They were highly delighted | 他们非常的高兴 |
[07:45] | and pushed me in as quick as lightning.’ | 以闪电般的速度让我加入了 |
[07:47] | ‘Lots of the lads were joining the local regiments, | 很多小伙子都加入了地方团 |
[07:50] | like the Bucks and the Middlesex. | 比如雄鹿团和密得塞斯团 |
[07:52] | Lads that I knew and been to school with, | 我认识的一起上学的 |
[07:54] | played football and cricket with, | 经常踢足球打板球的小伙子 |
[07:56] | we joined up, hoping for the best.’ | 我们怀揣着最美好的希望一起参军 |
[07:58] | ‘We were good friends, comrades | 我们是好朋友 好战友 |
[08:01] | and it was a relief from rather boring jobs at home, you see.’ | 它把我们从在家的无聊工作中拯救出来了 |
[08:05] | ‘I was walking down the Camden town High Street | 我当时正走在卡姆登镇大街上 |
[08:08] | when two young ladies approached me. | 两位女士走了过来 |
[08:11] | “Why aren’t you in the army?” | “为什么你不参军呢” |
[08:13] | I said, “I’m only 17.” | 我说”我才17岁” |
[08:14] | “Oh, they all say that here.” | “哦 他们都这么说” |
[08:16] | And to my amazement, she put her hand in her bag | 令我吃惊的是 她把手伸进了包里 |
[08:20] | and I put my hand up to sort of safeguard myself | 我赶紧举起手来保护自己 |
[08:23] | when this white feather finished up my nose.’ | 她拿白色丝巾擦了我的鼻子 |
[08:27] | ‘As we marched to the station, | 我们往车站行军的时候 |
[08:29] | some of the chaps had bowler hats, | 有些家伙戴着圆顶礼帽 |
[08:31] | some had straw hats, some had the regulation peaked army cap. | 有些戴着草帽 还有些戴着尖顶军帽 |
[08:35] | Some would have tunics, some would be dressed | 有些人穿着束腰外衣 |
[08:38] | with their ordinaryjackets with a pair of army trousers. | 有些人穿着普通的夹克 配一条军裤 |
[08:41] | Some had army boots, some didn’t, | 有些人穿着军靴 有的没有 |
[08:44] | and we really were a motley throng.’ | 当时的穿着真的是五花八门 |
[08:47] | ‘Some of them were obviously chaps | 有些小伙子 |
[08:48] | who had hoped to live in some comfort | 一看就是那种养尊处优的 |
[08:50] | and brought suitcases with clothes | 手提箱里装满了衣服 |
[08:52] | with them which they never saw again.’ | 但是却再也没见过那些衣服了 |
[08:54] | ‘We had to all get our hair cut. | 我们都得去理发 |
[08:55] | “How would you like it, sir?” | “先生 想剪成什么样的” |
[08:57] | And you’d say, “Short back and sides,” | 你回答”后面和两侧剪短一点” |
[08:59] | but the answer was straight over the top with horse clippers | 结果却是推子直接从前推到后 |
[09:03] | and we looked more like convicts than soldiers.’ | 我们看着更像是罪犯而不是士兵 |
[09:05] | ‘As soon as war broke out, there was a | 战争刚一爆发 |
[09:08] | call made for all ex-soldiers to rejoin | 一通电话直接召回了退伍的老兵 |
[09:10] | and they made ’em sergeants straightaway, | 他们都直接当了中士 |
[09:12] | so you got a lot of instructors that way.’ | 所以就有了很多的教员 |
[09:15] | ‘The people who really carried us through | 真正帮我们渡过难关的 |
[09:18] | was the old sweats who’d had previous war experience | 正是那些先前有战争经验的老兵们 |
[09:21] | and gave us a lot of wise advise as to | 他们给了我们很多明智的建议 |
[09:23] | what to look for and what to dodge.’ | 该寻找什么该躲避什么 |
[09:26] | ‘We were ordered down onto the parade ground | 我们奉命去了练兵场 |
[09:29] | and then we were allotted to different platoons.’ | 然后被分配到了不同的排 |
[09:33] | ‘When they came to us, they were weedy, | 他们刚来的时候 他们是一群瘦弱的 |
[09:36] | sallow, skinny, frightened children. | 脸色蜡黄 瘦骨嶙峋 吓坏了的孩子 |
[09:39] | The refuse of our industrial system | 他们是被工业体系遗弃的人 |
[09:42] | and they were in very poor condition | 并且他们的生活条件非常贫困 |
[09:44] | and had to be made into soldiers.’ | 他们不得不应征入伍 |
[09:47] | ‘Many of us had given our wrong ages to join the army.’ | 我们中很多人参军的年龄都不对 |
[09:51] | ‘The adjutant walked down the lines and gave an order, | 副官走下队伍下达命令 |
[09:54] | “Every man under the age of 19 to take two paces forward.” | “所有19岁以下的向前两步走” |
[09:58] | Nobody moved.’ | 没有一个人动 |
[10:01] | ‘I was a lad of 17, | 我当时17岁 |
[10:03] | and they’d probably see I wasn’t 19, | 他们可能看出来了 |
[10:05] | which you had to be to join up, | 我还不到19岁的参军年龄 |
[10:08] | but they says, “How long do you want to sign on for?”‘ | 但是他们却说”你想登记多少岁” |
[10:11] | ‘Everybody else was joining up, | 其他人都参军了 |
[10:12] | so I went into the recruiting office. | 所以我去了征兵办 |
[10:14] | He said to me, “How old are you?” I said, “17, sir.” | 他问我 你多大了 我说 17岁 长官 |
[10:18] | “Well,” he says, “Go outside and come back and say you’re 18.” | 他说 好吧 再来一遍 说你18岁 |
[10:21] | So, of course, I went outside and said I were 18. | 所以 我就又来了一次说我18岁 |
[10:24] | Then straight to the sea for Flanders. | 然后就直奔佛兰德了 |
[10:26] | The sergeant said, “How old are you?” | 中士问我 你多大了 |
[10:28] | I said, “I’m 18 and one month.” | 我说 18岁零一个月 |
[10:30] | He said, “Do you mean 19 and one month?” | 他问 你是说19岁零一个月吗 |
[10:32] | So I thought a moment. | 我想了一下 |
[10:33] | I said, “Yes, sir.” He said, “Right, sign here, please.”‘ | 说 是的长官 他说 请在这儿签字 |
[10:36] | He asked me how old I was and I said I was 16 in March. | 他问我多大了 我说三月份我就16岁了 |
[10:40] | “Oh.” he said, “You’re too young. | 他说 你太年轻了 |
[10:42] | You’d better go outside and have a birthday.” | 最好是马上出去过个生日 |
[10:44] | I was 16 years old in 1917, and I was six-foot-two tall, | 1917年我16岁 高188厘米 |
[10:49] | and my father allowed me to go. | 并且我父亲也允许我去 |
[10:52] | So I entered my age as 19 years old, | 所以我就谎报年龄为19参军了 |
[10:55] | three years older than what I really was. | 比我的实际年龄大了3岁 |
[10:59] | I was 15 years, just two-and-a-half years short of 18, | 我当时15岁 离18岁只差两年半 |
[11:03] | and I got before this medical officer | 我站在一个医务人员面前 |
[11:06] | who said, “All right, you pass.” | 他说 好吧 你通过了 |
[11:10] | I was just turned 17 at the time, | 我当时才17岁 |
[11:12] | and I went up to Whitehall and enlisted in the 16th Lancers. | 就去了怀特霍尔加入了第十六骑兵队 |
[11:17] | I was 15, | 我当时15岁 |
[11:18] | and I thought I’d have a better chance than when I were 14, | 我觉得入伍的机会比14岁的时候大 |
[11:22] | so I walked into the barracks | 所以我就走进军营 |
[11:24] | and just said, “I’m 18,” and that was it. | 说我18岁了 然后就这样了 |
[11:28] | My parents wrote to the commanding officer | 我父母给指挥官写信 |
[11:30] | and asked for me, as I was underage, to be released. | 要求拒收当时未成年的我 |
[11:33] | He said, “Your parents want you back. Do you want to go?” | 他说 你父母要你回去 你想回去吗 |
[11:36] | I said, “No.” | 我说 我不想 |
[11:40] | The chaplain asked me my age and I said I was 16. | 牧师问我的年龄 我说我16岁 |
[11:43] | He said, “Much too young. | 他说 太年轻了 |
[11:46] | Would you like me to pray for you?” | 你想让我帮你祈祷吗 |
[11:51] | The clothing came piecemeal into the quartermaster’s stores. | 这些衣服一件件地进了军需品商店 |
[11:58] | One lad said, “These boots don’t fit me.” | 一个小伙子说 这个鞋子不合脚 |
[12:01] | The quartermaster said, “There isn’t such a thing as boots that don’t fit, | 军需官说 世界上没有不合脚的鞋子 |
[12:04] | it’s your feet, they don’t fit the boots.” | 只有不合鞋的脚 |
[12:08] | Some men would find a tunic to fit them | 有的人会找到合适的上衣 |
[12:10] | or perhaps a pair of trousers. | 或者一条裤子 |
[12:13] | And so it went on for nearly a fortnight. Just one uniform. | 就这样持续了两周 只有一套制服 |
[12:18] | I was in the army nearly four years. I only had one uniform. | 我从军四年只有一套制服 |
[12:22] | We were all issued with these famous puttees, | 他们给每个人都分发了绑腿 |
[12:26] | which were news to all of us, | 对我们来说都是新闻 |
[12:27] | and I personally could never quite master the putting on of puttees.’ | 我自己永远都掌握不了绑腿的穿法 |
[12:32] | The main reason for puttees were | 绑腿的主要作用是 |
[12:33] | to support the legs in marching. | 支撑行进中的双腿 |
[12:35] | I was issued with a kilt, but nothing to wear underneath it, | 我领了一条裙子 但没有穿在里面的东西 |
[12:39] | and I was given a slip of paper to say, | 然后有人给我一张纸条说 |
[12:42] | “This man has not been issued with underpants.” | 这个人的内裤还没发 |
[12:45] | I was given strict instructions that | 我收到严格的指示 |
[12:47] | I couldn’t ride on top of a tram car. | 说我不能坐在电车顶层 |
[12:49] | I had to ride downstairs. | 只能坐在楼下 |
[12:52] | Now, the pack was for everything that you owned. | 这个包是用来装你所有的东西的 |
[12:56] | The overcoat had to be folded very, very neatly and tightly. | 大衣必须叠得非常整齐严格 |
[13:01] | There was a needle, thread, spare buttons, knife, fork, spoon, | 有针线 备用扣子 刀叉 勺子 |
[13:05] | razor, shaving brush, toothbrush, | 剃须刀 剃须刷 牙刷 |
[13:09] | and also a half-pint mug, | 一个半品脱的杯子 |
[13:11] | one spare shirt and one spare pair of socks, | 一件备用衬衫和一双备用袜子 |
[13:15] | and that was your kit. | 这些就是所有的装备 |
[13:17] | The army razor with which we were issued was absolutely useless, | 军队发的军用剃刀对胡须并没什么用 |
[13:21] | but it came in handy for cutting up meat and so forth. | 但在切肉等方面还是大有用场的 |
[13:23] | The toothbrush, that came in handy for cleaning buttons. | 牙刷用来刷纽扣还是挺有用的 |
[13:27] | One of the peculiarities about the army was, | 军队的一个特点是 |
[13:29] | although it was a crime to have dirty buttons, | 虽然脏纽扣是一种罪行 |
[13:32] | you were never issued with the materials to clean the buttons with. | 但他们不会给你发清洁纽扣的材料 |
[13:35] | You had to buy them yourself. | 你只能自己买 |
[13:37] | We were awakened by the bugle which sounded Reveille. | 我们被起床号吵醒了 |
[13:41] | Wash, shave, pack your bed up | 洗漱 刮胡子 整理床铺 |
[13:43] | and pack your kit about half-past six | 六点半左右收拾好装备 |
[13:45] | and you would have an hour PT before breakfast. | 早餐前做一个小时的体格锻炼 |
[13:49] | Press-ups and physical exercises, arms upward stretch. | 俯卧撑和体育锻炼 伸展运动 |
[13:53] | They knew you were fresh and they tried to take you by stages. | 他们知道你是新手 就会分阶段训练 |
[13:56] | There wasn’t any bullying or anything like that. | 没有欺负人之类的事情 |
[14:00] | Breakfast consisted of bread, | 早餐包括面包 |
[14:03] | butter, one rasher of Lance Corporal bacon, | 黄油 一小片一等兵培根 |
[14:06] | cos it was streaky bacon, it had one stripe in it. | 因为是五花肉 上面有一条条纹 |
[14:09] | There was jam and they seemed to make | 还有果酱 并且好像 |
[14:12] | nothing but plum and apple, you know. | 只有李子和苹果味 |
[14:14] | If you got any other kind, it was a celebration event. | 如果拿到其他口味 那可得好好庆祝了 |
[14:19] | Well, Bruce Bairnsfather’s cartoons depicted that. | 布鲁斯·贝尔斯法瑟的卡通就是这样描述的 |
[14:22] | They’d hand him a tin of plum and apple jam. | 他们会递给他一罐李子苹果酱 |
[14:24] | “When the hell is it goin’ to be strawberry?” | 什么时候才能有草莓味 |
[14:27] | Ooh, he was wonderful, that chap. | 那个家伙太逗了 |
[14:29] | Ticklers, the jam manufacturers, | 痒痒牌 那个果酱制造商 |
[14:32] | they must have made millions of tins of P&A: plum and apple. | 他们一定做了几百万罐李子苹果酱 |
[14:37] | ♪ Oh, oh, oh, it’s a lovely war ♪ | ♪ 噢 噢 噢 有趣的战争 ♪ |
[14:40] | ♪ What do we want with eggs and ham ♪ | ♪ 有了这么多痒痒牌果酱 ♪ |
[14:43] | ♪ when we’ve got bags of Ticklers jam? ♪ | ♪ 还要鸡蛋和火腿干嘛 ♪ |
[14:46] | Then it would be parade time, then the sergeant would take over | 然后就是练方阵时间 中士会接管 |
[14:50] | and you would have a whole morning of marching. | 你会有一上午的时间练行军 |
[14:53] | And you would learn all commands, | 你会学习所有的指令 |
[14:56] | such as “About turn,” and all that sort of thing. | 比如向后转之类的 |
[14:59] | Having been in the Boy Scouts, it was dead easy to me. | 我当过童子军 这对我来说太容易了 |
[15:03] | When you get the order, “Right dress!” | 当你得到向右看齐的指令时 |
[15:05] | you turn your head only to the right. | 你只能向右转头 |
[15:08] | Some of them managed to turn left, | 有的人向左转 |
[15:10] | which didn’t exactly please the drill sergeant. | 这让军士长感到不是很满意 |
[15:13] | We were all youngsters. | 我们都是年轻人 |
[15:15] | We’d come from fairly sheltered lives and so forth. | 我们以前都生活在庇护中 |
[15:18] | This sergeant of ours was the loudmouth shouting-type. | 我们的中士是那种大喊大叫型的 |
[15:23] | Coming up against military discipline was a shock, | 违反军事纪律的结果令人震惊 |
[15:27] | being chased around from pillar to post by disciplinarian NCOs. | 纪律士官们会追得你走投无路 |
[15:32] | Some of the sergeants were shockers. | 有的中士很可怕 |
[15:34] | They would cause a lot of trouble if you were out of step, | 如果你手脚不协调 不抓紧时间 |
[15:38] | or if you didn’t keep time, or if you didn’t | 或者是步枪拿得不好 |
[15:40] | handle your rifle properly. | 他就会找你麻烦 |
[15:42] | They were always having a go at you. | 他们总是挑你的刺 |
[15:44] | Most of them were all right, | 他们大多数都很好 |
[15:46] | their shouting meant nothing, | 大喊大叫并没有用 |
[15:47] | but some of them never lost it. | 但有的人总是在大声喊叫 |
[15:49] | One night I’d gone to bed and | 有天晚上我已经睡了 |
[15:51] | this pot was brought round to my bed | 一个尿壶被拿到我床边 |
[15:54] | and they said, “Oh, you want to do a piss,” | 他们问 你想撒尿吗 |
[15:57] | so I did the business in the pot. | 我就尿在壶里了 |
[15:59] | They’d rested this big, huge pot | 他们把装了尿的大尿壶 |
[16:02] | which contained gallons on the door | 放在了门上面 |
[16:05] | and when this sergeant came along | 然后当这个中士过来 |
[16:07] | to see that everybody was in bed, | 确认大家都上床了的时候 |
[16:10] | this thing turned up and he was drenched | 尿壶打翻了 淋得他 |
[16:12] | from top to bottom in fluid. | 全身上下都是尿 |
[16:16] | First of all, I was full of enthusiasm | 一开始 我充满了热情 |
[16:20] | but, after about the first week, I wished I hadn’t done it | 但是 第一周过后 我就后悔了 |
[16:23] | because the discipline was so strict | 因为纪律太严格了 |
[16:25] | and I was beginning to get a bit nervous | 并且我开始对必将发生的事 |
[16:27] | as to what was in store. | 感到有点儿紧张 |
[16:29] | We weren’t out dancing, anything like that. | 我们不是出去跳舞什么的 |
[16:32] | We were getting ready for a war. | 我们是在准备一场战争 |
[16:34] | The thing was you were in the army, | 问题是 你在军队 |
[16:36] | you had to do as you were told, | 就必须遵从指挥 |
[16:38] | you had one master, or dozens, | 你有一个或者十几个师傅 |
[16:40] | but you just had to get on with it and that was it. | 但你必须继续下去 就这样 |
[16:43] | I did find that right through the army. | 我的确在军队中学会了一个道理 |
[16:46] | If you behaved yourself, you’d nothing much to fear. | 就是如果你表现得好 就没什么好怕的 |
[16:49] | This was quite a new world to us, I mean, you can imagine, | 军队对我们来说是个新世界 你可以想象 |
[16:52] | I came out of civilian life like all the others did | 我和其他人一样来自平民生活 |
[16:55] | and we weren’t in a position to argue or object. | 我们无法争论或者反驳 |
[16:58] | It was just a matter of doing what we were told. | 我们要做的就是听从指挥 |
[17:00] | I liked it. I liked to be told what I had to do, | 我喜欢别人告诉我该做什么 |
[17:04] | because there was a reason for doing it. | 因为做这件事是有理由的 |
[17:06] | Later on, I realised that was the best training you could have. | 后来我意识到那就是你能得到最好的训练 |
[17:11] | The first week, our route march would be ten miles. | 第一周 我们的行军路程是10英里 |
[17:15] | The second week, it would be 12, and so on and so on. | 第二周就是12英里 以此类推 |
[17:18] | It intensified because it’s of the utmost importance | 逐渐强化 因为最重要的就是 |
[17:22] | that the infantry soldier could march with the full kit. | 步兵可以带着全套装备前进 |
[17:26] | What you had to carry was 109 pounds. | 你要带的东西有99斤重 |
[17:28] | Marching was easy for me, | 行军对我来说很容易 |
[17:31] | but quite a lot of chaps who were | 但对那些久坐工作的人 |
[17:33] | in sedentary jobs found it pretty hard. | 是十分困难的 |
[17:36] | It numbed and cramped the muscles on my thighs and calves | 行军使我大腿和小腿的肌肉麻痹抽筋 |
[17:41] | until they hurt very much indeed. | 然后就会非常痛 |
[17:45] | Oh, those army boots! I could’ve cried. | 那些军靴 能让我哭出来 |
[17:48] | My feet and ankles with those heavy army boots, | 穿过便鞋后再穿那些笨重的军靴 |
[17:51] | after civilian shoes… | 我的脚和脚踝 |
[17:53] | So, to get your boots made pliable, | 所以 为了让你的靴子变得柔软 |
[17:56] | you used to urinate in them and leave it overnight. | 你得经常尿尿在里面泡上一夜 |
[18:00] | Quite a lot of men were clerks or they worked in shops | 很多人之前是职员或者商店员工 |
[18:05] | and the very nature of their calling didn’t make for fitness. | 他们都适应不了行军生活 |
[18:09] | Well, they sent me to hospital and | 他们把我送到医院 |
[18:11] | they gave me the cure for hookworm | 给我治钩虫的药 |
[18:14] | and I found that I could stand the drill after that. | 在那之后我发现我能忍受训练了 |
[18:18] | They used to march us all round the West End. | 他们经常让我们在西区行军 |
[18:21] | Crowds used to foregather. | 人们常常聚在一起 |
[18:22] | And some of the poor, deluded ones fell for the con trick | 一些被骗的可怜人迷上了这个骗局 |
[18:26] | and lined up behind us and we used to march ’em | 加入了行军队伍 我们通常是 |
[18:29] | all down to Chelsea Barracks where they got signed up. | 把他们带到切尔西营让他们签字入伍 |
[18:34] | Lunch would consist of inevitable stew. | 午餐是永远不变的炖菜 |
[18:37] | Now, we must remember that | 我们要记得 |
[18:40] | the chaps in the cookhouse were by no means experienced cooks, | 厨房里的伙计们绝对不是经验丰富的厨师 |
[18:44] | but anybody can make a stew and that’s what they did. | 但任何人都会做炖菜 他们就是这样做的 |
[18:47] | Sometimes, we got a bit of plum duff | 有时候我们会吃梅子糕点 |
[18:49] | and milk puddings and tapioca rice. | 牛奶布丁和木薯粉 |
[18:51] | It was good, old-fashioned, plain stuff that I was brought up on. | 这是我从小就吃的 老式的 简单的东西 |
[18:56] | I had no complaint about it. | 我没什么好抱怨的 |
[18:58] | In the afternoon, it could be a lecture on Vickers machine guns. | 下午 可能会有关于维氏机枪的讲座 |
[19:03] | You used to strip the machine gun | 你经常要把机枪拆了 |
[19:06] | right down and put it together again | 然后再组重新组装 |
[19:08] | and, luckily, I seemed to cotton on to that quite quickly. | 幸运的是 我似乎很快就弄懂了 |
[19:12] | We were always told | 我们总是被告知 |
[19:13] | that man’s best friend is his rifle, | 人最好的朋友就是他的步枪 |
[19:16] | and it was. | 事实的确如此 |
[19:17] | Our rifle was a short Lee-Enfield. | 我们的步枪是一把短的李-恩菲尔德步枪 |
[19:20] | A very good rifle indeed. A real sturdy rifle. | 那确实是一支非常结实的好枪 |
[19:23] | You had your ammunition pouches on both sides of the chest | 在你胸部的两侧都有弹药袋 |
[19:28] | to counterbalance the weight of the pack | 用来平衡背包的重量 |
[19:30] | and those pouches carried 150 rounds of .303 ammunition. | 这些弹药袋可携带150发.303子弹 |
[19:35] | We were supposed to hold a rifle with one hand, | 我们应该一只手拿步枪 |
[19:38] | but I could never hold a rifle properly. | 但我永远拿不好枪 |
[19:40] | my right wrist wouldn’t hold it up. | 我的右手腕撑不住 |
[19:42] | I’d never fired a rifle in my life but, on the first day, | 我这辈子从未开过枪 但第一天 |
[19:46] | we went onto the rifle range | 我们去步枪靶场练枪 |
[19:47] | and it was amazing, the bull’s-eyes I was getting. | 神奇的是 我居然正中靶心 |
[19:50] | So, the next thing, I was made a first-class rifleman. | 紧接着 我就成了一名一流步枪手 |
[19:54] | Above all, we learned rapid fire. | 首先 我们学习了连射 |
[19:56] | Ten rounds, get those ten rounds onto the target in one minute. | 十发子弹 一分钟内打到目标上 |
[20:00] | It was known as “the mad minute”. | 这被称作是疯狂的一分钟 |
[20:02] | I’d never seen a dead man, or anything of that kind | 我从没见过死人 或是其他死了的东西 |
[20:05] | and I wondered, if it came to my shooting a man, | 我很好奇 如果要我开枪杀人 |
[20:08] | whether I would be able to do this. | 我是否能够做到 |
[20:10] | You’d plunge the bayonet into the sack, shout like hell. | 你把刺刀插进麻袋里 大喊大叫 |
[20:13] | And they would tell you where to put your bayonet. | 然后他们会教你怎么用刺刀 |
[20:16] | Either into his left shoulder, his right shoulder, | 刺向敌人的左肩 右肩 |
[20:18] | in the chest, or in the body. | 胸口 或者身体 |
[20:21] | We were told to make as much noise as we could. | 我们被告知要尽量制造噪音 |
[20:23] | I think that was to frighten the enemy. | 我认为那是为了吓退敌人 |
[20:25] | Didn’t seem a likely thing to do, but we used to shout. | 看起来似乎不太可能 但我们常用喊的 |
[20:28] | When you’ve trained as a division, there’s 12 battalions, | 你们被分成12个营 分别训练 |
[20:31] | that’s roughly 12,000 men who are on the move | 有大约12000人在作战 |
[20:34] | and you’re a very small cog in a big wheel. | 你们只是庞大系统中很小的部件而已 |
[20:39] | Saturday mornings we were let off, | 周六早上我们被允许休息 |
[20:41] | but we had to do sometimes barrack duties. | 但我们有时还必须执行军营任务 |
[20:43] | Then, on Sundays, we were all marched down to church. | 周六时我们就被送至教堂 |
[20:46] | It didn’t matter what religion you were, | 你到底信仰什么宗教根本不重要 |
[20:49] | you all had to go and that was it. | 你们所有人都要去教堂 没得商量 |
[20:51] | Hardly a day passed without the shout around the barrack room, | 营房周围总是有喊声 |
[20:55] | Has anybody here had any experiences with horses? | 这有人了解马匹吗 |
[20:57] | Can anybody here play any musical instruments? | 这有人会乐器吗 |
[21:00] | Anybody had any experience at so-and-so…? | 这有人会干这干那吗 |
[21:03] | So, gradually, the 1,000 men who joined up as a motley throng, | 所以渐渐的 1000名鱼龙混杂的新兵 |
[21:07] | now became a transport man, a bandsman, signalman, and so on. | 变成运输兵乐队兵信号员 各种身份的人 |
[21:13] | You didn’t wanna mess about at the parade ground | 你不想在行进路线上背着沉重的背包 |
[21:15] | with heavy packs on the route marches. | 在练兵场上到处闲逛 |
[21:17] | Most of us wanted to go across and do some scrapping. | 大多数人都想直接上阵杀敌 |
[21:21] | After good food, fresh air and physical exercise, | 呼吸了新鲜空气 优质伙食 体能训练后 |
[21:24] | they’d changed so that their mothers | 他们都变得 |
[21:26] | wouldn’t have recognised them. | 亲妈都认不出来 |
[21:28] | They’d put on an average of one stone | 他们的体重大约都增加了一块石头的重量 |
[21:30] | in weight and one inch in height.’ | 身高也都长高了一英寸(2.54厘米) |
[21:32] | Although we hated the sight and sound | 尽管我们一点都不想看见管纪律的中士 |
[21:34] | of our disciplinary sergeants, | 我们甚至不想听到他的声音 |
[21:35] | this reflects greatly to their credit | 但这恰恰是对他们的赞扬 |
[21:37] | because they knocked us into shape | 当我们的方阵和步伐被塑造成应有的样子 |
[21:40] | as regards to marching and foot drills. | 这些其实都归功于他们 |
[21:42] | But, far more than that, | 但远不止如此 |
[21:44] | they were handsome, ruddy, upstanding, | 他们英姿飒爽 精神抖擞 正气凌然 |
[21:46] | square-shouldered young men | 这些双肩宽阔 背负责任的年轻人们 |
[21:48] | who were afraid of nobody, not even the sergeant major. | 无所畏惧 连军士长都不能震慑他们 |
[21:52] | After six weeks, we were informed | 六周后 我们被告知 |
[21:54] | we were gonna be posted overseas. | 我们会被送到国外去 |
[21:56] | They said, “You’re leaving tomorrow | 他们说 你们明天早上就会启程 |
[21:58] | morning for an unknown destination.” | 被送到未知的目的地 |
[22:00] | You were never told where you were heading for. | 他们从来不会告诉你目的地是哪里 |
[22:03] | I just wanted to fight the Germans | 我只是想打德国人 |
[22:05] | and, as far as that was concerned, | 只要是去打德国人 |
[22:07] | it didn’t matter tuppence to me where we went. | 我完全不在乎我们到底要去哪里 |
[22:09] | And when we pushed them through | 当我们让他们结束 |
[22:11] | this crash programme of military training, | 本次紧急军事训练时 |
[22:14] | they were pushed off to France in batches. | 他们就被分批送往法国了 |
[22:17] | Before we left, the officer said, | 出发前 军官说 |
[22:18] | “Well, you haven’t had time to be made sergeants, | 既然你们没来得及被封为中士 |
[22:21] | so we’ll give you a couple of stripes.” | 我们就给你们上个军衔吧 |
[22:23] | So they made us corporals and, in less than no time, | 他们就给了我们下士军衔 |
[22:26] | we were marched down to the station.’ | 紧接着我们就被送往车站 |
[22:29] | In my mind, I wondered, “Shall I ever come back?” | 我一直在脑中有个疑问 我回得来吗 |
[22:33] | I didn’t think I would at the time. | 当时我觉得我回不来了 |
[22:35] | I didn’t worry about it. | 我也完全没有因此难过 |
[22:37] | Oh, they were all full of euphoria. | 他们都非常兴奋 |
[22:39] | They were all glad they were going. Nobody was crying.’ | 他们对要出发了都很开心 没有人哭泣 |
[22:42] | I wrote a postcard when I was in | 我在火车上时写下了一张明信片 |
[22:44] | the train and chucked it out the window, | 然后把它塞到窗户外面去了 |
[22:46] | hoping that it would be delivered to my family.’ | 我希望我的家人能收到这张明信片 |
[22:49] | We arrived at Folkestone in the evening. | 傍晚的时候我们抵达福克斯通 |
[22:52] | We embarked on one of the old Thames pleasure boats.’ | 登上了一艘老旧的泰晤士河游船 |
[22:55] | Well, pretty crowded. | 当时人很多 |
[22:57] | Well, of course, it’s only 21 miles | 当然了 从佛到加来 |
[22:57] | Dover:英国东南部港口 Calais:法国港口 | |
[22:59] | from Dover to Calais on the boat.’ | 只有21英里(约33.8千米)的航程 |
[23:02] | There were talks by officers to us | 军官们告诉我们 |
[23:04] | as to how to behave ourselves on foreign soil | 在外国领土上该做些什么 |
[23:06] | and that we’d got to respect other people’s modes of conduct.’ | 我们应该尊重他人的行为模式 |
[23:11] | The biggest number of casualties were NCOs | 军士的伤亡最大 |
[23:14] | and we weren’t all too keen about this. | 我们对此不是很渴望 |
[23:17] | So I went into the lavatory and my stripes came off | 我去上厕所的时候肩章掉了下来 |
[23:21] | and they disappeared through the porthole. | 掉进了下水道消失了 |
[23:23] | And with that, I went back on deck as a private.’ | 因此 我回到甲板上时成了二等兵 |
[23:30] | As our horses were brought down the gangways, | 我们的马被牵下了舷梯 |
[23:33] | I noticed the expression on the men’s faces. | 此时我注意到大家的表情 |
[23:35] | There were no cheerful, smiling faces | 欢欣消失了 |
[23:37] | coming down that gangway at all.’ | 愉悦的情绪也被带下了舷梯 |
[23:42] | ‘It was beautiful weather. Very warm. | 天气很好 很暖和 |
[23:44] | Every village and town we went through, people rushed out, | 我们每经过一个村镇 人们都会冲出来 |
[23:48] | bottles of wine, yards of French bread, flowers…’ | 鲜花美酒 法式面包 |
[23:52] | The land flowed in every single aspect. | 每一寸土地都跃动着欢欣 |
[23:54] | There were farmers going about their | 农民都去做自己的事 |
[23:56] | business, the most lovely country. | 那真是最可爱的村庄 |
[24:00] | ‘If we were passing a field of carrots, we used to raid the field | 如果我们路过一片胡萝卜地 我们就会 |
[24:03] | and walk along munching the carrots and turnips.’ | 冲进田里 抓起胡萝卜和大头菜一顿狂吃 |
[24:10] | ‘I was dead scared that the war | 我当时非常害怕 |
[24:12] | would be over before I got out to it. | 我还没到达战场 战争就已经结束了 |
[24:14] | When I got out to France, I was terribly pleased. | 当我踏上法国土地 我长舒了一口气 |
[24:17] | Really keen.’ | 特别兴奋 |
[24:21] | ‘You just marched and marched until | 你会一直行军 直到距离战壕 |
[24:23] | roughly 20 miles from the trenches.’ | 大约20英里(32千米)的地方停下 |
[24:25] | ‘We knew we were getting close to the line, | 我们知道我们距离前线越来越近了 |
[24:28] | because the gunfire was becoming more noisy.’ | 因为炮火声越发清晰了 |
[24:31] | ‘I remember the first shell, I was delighted.’ | 我记得第一发炮弹打响时 我非常兴奋 |
[24:36] | ‘We went through towns, villages, that were absolutely derelict, | 我们走过一座又一座空城 被遗弃的村庄 |
[24:40] | so we never knew where we were, | 所以我们只知道我们在比利时 |
[24:42] | except that we were in Belgium.’ | 具体在哪 不知道 |
[24:46] | ‘The devastation was something I never could have imagined. | 那种破坏是我无法想象的 |
[24:49] | The whole place gave one a most eerie sensation.’ | 到处都给人一种恐怖的感觉 |
[24:56] | ‘There were stunted trees torn to shreds with shellfire | 有些矮树被炮火炸成碎片 |
[24:59] | and there were shell holes all over the place.’ | 弹孔遍布各处 |
[25:04] | ‘We were relieving men of the 28th Division | 我们正在接28师的班 |
[25:07] | and, as they passed us, we would say, “What’s it like up there?” | 当他们经过时 我们会问”上面是什么样” |
[25:10] | The reply invariably came back, “Bloody awful, mate.”‘ | 他们的回答总是”可怕极了 兄弟” |
[25:14] | ‘The old sweats coming back had got their tails up all right, | 那些回来的老伙计尾巴都翘起来了 |
[25:17] | but I didn’t know what to expect, just hadn’t a clue.’ | 但我不知道我能期待什么 毫无头绪 |
[25:21] | ‘It was deadly warfare. | 这场战争太致命了 |
[25:23] | You were facing the Germans.’ | 你的敌人是德国人 |
[25:28] | Follow me! | 跟着我 |
[25:33] | ‘You got the order: load. | 你收到了命令 装弹 |
[25:34] | You put nine in your magazine and one up the spout | 你往弹匣里装九颗子弹 上膛 |
[25:38] | and you put your safety catch on | 打开保险 |
[25:40] | and you always went into the line | 你要在上前线之前 |
[25:42] | prepared to use your rifle immediately.’ | 做好立即开枪的准备 |
[25:44] | ‘That’s when you got rigid orders. | 此时你会收到严格命令 |
[25:47] | “No talking whatsoever! Keep your head down! | 无论如何不准说话 把头低下 |
[25:50] | Single file! No smoking!” | 一列纵队 不准抽烟 |
[25:53] | The captain would then direct you right to the front trenches.’ | 队长会直接把你带到前线战壕里面去 |
[25:59] | ‘When a man goes into the trenches, | 当一个人走进战壕 |
[26:01] | he usually carries a roll of barbed wire or bag of bombs, | 他总是会在自己的武器和行李旁 |
[26:05] | beside his own equipment. | 带上一卷带刺的铁丝或一袋炸弹 |
[26:06] | That’s the way they get the stuff up to the front line.’ | 他们就是这样把物资带到前线的 |
[26:09] | ‘Now a guide would always be sent out.’ | 现在就会派出先遣兵 |
[26:12] | Extend this part of the trench over there. | 把这部分战壕延长到那边 |
[26:14] | – What, that way? – That’s it. | -什么 那边吗 -对 |
[26:16] | ‘The trenches in France were a maze. | 法国的战壕就像迷宫一样 |
[26:18] | If you didn’t have a guide, you could soon get lost.’ | 如果没有向导 你很快就会迷路 |
[26:21] | Smile so your mother thinks I’m looking after you. | 笑笑 这样你妈妈才会觉得我有在照顾你 |
[26:25] | Now up you go. Double up! Double up! | 跑快点 加把劲 |
[26:32] | ‘The trenches weren’t in one straight line. | 战壕不是在一条直线上的 |
[26:35] | They were built on what they call the traverse system. | 它们建立在所谓的导线系统上 |
[26:38] | The traverse would break up the shellfire | 导线可以分散战火 |
[26:41] | and stop it spreading right along the trench.’ | 防止战火沿战壕一路燃烧 |
[26:44] | ‘There was a front line of trenches, | 战壕会有第一道 |
[26:46] | and then there was a second line of trenches.’ | 还有第二道 |
[26:48] | ‘The support line would be about | 援线设立在前线 |
[26:50] | 50 yards or more behind the front line. | 50码(45米)以外的地方 |
[26:52] | In between, there would be communication trenches | 在二者之间还有通讯战壕 |
[26:55] | so that they could move through | 这样一旦前线告急 |
[26:57] | if the front line was under jeopardy.’ | 他们就可以穿过去了 |
[27:00] | ‘The first impression I got of the trenches was | 我看到战壕的第一反应就是 |
[27:03] | they were very much lived in.’ | 这好像他们的家一样 |
[27:05] | ‘We had to take ’em as we found ’em.’ | 我们既来之则安之 |
[27:07] | ‘You would see an overcoat hanging from a wooden peg. | 你能看到挂在木桩上的大衣 |
[27:10] | You would see a mess tin with some tea in it. | 你能看到装茶叶的罐子 |
[27:14] | A dugout which had a piece of blanket in it. | 防空洞里铺着一块毯子 |
[27:17] | A bed made of sandbags.’ | 用沙袋搭建的床 |
[27:20] | ‘Our world was divided by no-man’s-land, a sort of iron curtain | 我们的世界被铁幕一般的无人区隔开 |
[27:25] | beyond which were bogeymen who would | 在铁幕那边 |
[27:26] | kill you if they ever saw you.’ | 是见人杀人见鬼杀鬼的妖怪 |
[27:28] | ‘As you looked through your periscope | 透过瞄准镜你能看到 |
[27:30] | all you could see were hundreds of shell holes, | 满眼疮痍 到处都是弹孔 |
[27:33] | your barbed wire and the German barbed wire.’ | 交战双方的铁丝网 |
[27:36] | ‘You could see dead bodies hanging on the barbed wire | 你能看到铁丝网上挂着的尸体 |
[27:39] | and they may have been there for a long, long time.’ | 他们可能已经在那里挂了很久 |
[27:42] | ‘It was one of the most desolate-looking places in the world. | 这里是世界上最荒凉的地方之一 |
[27:46] | You never saw a sign of life | 生灵涂炭 |
[27:48] | and yet you knew very well that, within shouting range, | 但你内心非常清楚 肉眼可及的范围内 |
[27:51] | there were hundreds and hundreds of men.’ | 有数不清的人 |
[27:55] | ‘A platoon of about 50 men would have | 一个大约50人的排 |
[27:56] | about 100 yards of frontline trenches, | 会负责大约 |
[27:58] | their responsibility. | 50码的战壕 |
[28:01] | There were signs all over the trenches: | 战壕上到处都是标志 |
[28:03] | Piccadilly Circus and Regent Street, | 皮卡迪利广场和摄政街 |
[28:05] | and all that sort of thing, | 就像那种地名 |
[28:07] | telling you where the water points were, | 会指引你去哪里取水 |
[28:09] | and which was the most dangerous part | 哪里是会有狙击手瞄准的 |
[28:11] | of land with regard to snipers.’ | 高危地段 |
[28:12] | ‘You had to be extremely careful because | 你必须非常小心 |
[28:15] | a bullet would go through one layer of sandbags quite easily.’ | 因为子弹会非常轻易地穿过一层沙袋 |
[28:18] | ‘I was talking to a bloke one clay and plop! | 我在和一个小伙子说话 砰的一声 |
[28:21] | His head was smashed in like an egg. | 他的头就像鸡蛋一样被打碎了 |
[28:23] | He just happened to be in a place | 他只是刚好站在了 |
[28:25] | where a sniper could get an aim on him.’ | 狙击手能瞄准的地方 |
[28:27] | ‘We used to do a four-day stint in the line. | 我们过去会在战壕里待四天 |
[28:30] | We took with us sufficient food to last the four days.’ | 会带足够让我们撑过四天的干粮 |
[28:35] | – Got any grog? – See you later on. | -有酒吗 -待会见 |
[28:37] | My best to Jerry. | 祝福德国佬 |
[28:39] | Mind yourselves. That’s it. | 照顾好自己 就行了 |
[28:41] | Your day would start before dawn, | 你的一天会在日出之前就开启 |
[28:42] | when NCOs would go round this 100 yards | 军士们会走遍方圆100码 |
[28:45] | to make sure everybody was alive.’ | 确认没有人丧命 |
[28:47] | ‘Of a day in the trenches, you had two hours on, four off.’ | 在战壕中的一天 作战两小时休息四小时 |
[28:51] | ‘A third of the people on sentry duty, | 三分之一的人放哨 |
[28:53] | a third working and a third sleeping.’ | 三分之一在工作 三分之一在睡觉 |
[28:55] | – Wake y-wake y! – We just slept where we were. | -醒醒 -我们就席地而睡 |
[28:58] | No beds, just flopped down on the ground.’ | 没有床 就直接躺在地上 |
[29:00] | You’re in the pictures, mate. | 拍到你了兄弟 |
[29:02] | ‘The trench was very wet and, wherever possible, | 战壕很潮湿 只要能避开水洼的地方 |
[29:06] | we would try and get above the water.’ | 我们都会试试 |
[29:08] | ‘We were able to dig out a side of the trench | 在两小时战四小时休的间隙 |
[29:10] | and that was when we used to steal our | 我们才能忙里偷闲睡个觉 |
[29:13] | sleep on the two-on four-off stretch.’ | 还要挤时间挖开战壕一侧 |
[29:15] | ‘Then you’d have your couple of hours | 然后你就又能得到几个小时 |
[29:18] | on the parapet and then rest again.’ | 可以趴在矮墙上睡觉了 |
[29:20] | ‘If nothing untoward happened, there would be perhaps | 如果一切顺利 |
[29:23] | two or three sentry groups in the whole company’s front.’ | 整个连队前就会有两三个哨兵队 |
[29:39] | ‘It was a job to keep awake and woe | 保持清醒是你的工作 |
[29:40] | betide you if you were caught asleep.’ | 如果你睡觉被抓你就要倒大霉 |
[29:43] | ‘If you are so tired, you can sleep standing up, | 如果你真的很累 你站着就能睡 |
[29:46] | which I’ve done many times.’ | 我经常这么做 |
[29:49] | ‘The first thing you did when you got | 你走上前线应该做的的第一件事 |
[29:52] | into the line was to have a brew up.’ | 就是喝杯啤酒 |
[29:54] | ‘There was one thing about the Vickers gun, | 维氏枪有一个特点 |
[29:57] | it being a water-cooled weapon, | 它是水冷式武器 |
[29:59] | if you were continuously firing, | 你持续射击后 |
[30:01] | you’d find that the water’d be boiling. | 就会发现水被烧开了 |
[30:03] | You could disconnect the tube and make a cup of tea.’ | 你可以把管子断开 然后泡一杯茶 |
[30:06] | ‘The water came up in two-gallon petrol cans.’ | 水被装在两加仑的汽油罐里 |
[30:08] | ‘And we could taste the petrol in it, | 我们能从里面尝到汽油味儿 |
[30:10] | cos they couldn’t wash it completely out.’ | 因为汽油罐很难全部清理干净 |
[30:16] | ‘In every bay was a little fireplace.’ | 每一个战壕里面都有一个小壁炉 |
[30:18] | Let’s get this lit. | 我们把它点起来 |
[30:19] | ‘You used tiny slivers of wood because, | 你应该用一小条一小条的木柴 |
[30:21] | if you made smoke in the front line, | 因为一旦前线有烟冒出来 |
[30:23] | over would come a shell.’ I fancy a brew. | -就会引来一顿轰炸 -我想来一杯 |
[30:25] | ‘You’d save a drop of that tea to shave with.’ | 你会省下一点儿茶用来洗脸 |
[30:28] | ‘Because we had to shave in the front line.’ | 即使在前线 我们也要刮脸 |
[30:31] | ‘We used to put a lot of tins out on the parapet if it rained. | 下雨时我们会在矮墙上放很多罐子 |
[30:34] | You dare’t touch any of the other water.’ | 你不会想碰别的水 |
[30:37] | ‘We were scooping water off shell holes. | 我们从弹坑里舀水 |
[30:40] | There might have been dead bodies underneath. | 但水里可能会有尸体 |
[30:42] | As long as we boiled it for a long time, | 只要把水煮足够长的时间 |
[30:44] | all the green stuff’d come off the top.’ | 所有绿色的东西都会从里面冒出来 |
[30:46] | Nice and gentle. | 做得好 |
[30:47] | ‘Anyway, we made tea with it.’ | 不管怎样 我们用这水来泡茶喝 |
[30:49] | ‘That’s how I got my dose of dysentery.’ | 如此我喝下了通向痢疾的地狱之水 |
[30:51] | ‘Of course, there were no sanitary arrangements. | 当然了 前线没有卫生设施 |
[30:55] | They’d dig a trench | 他们就挖了一条沟槽 |
[30:56] | and stick a pole across. | 在对面立根杆子 |
[30:57] | You’d get about seven or eight chaps on the pole.’ | 一回可以有七八个人坐在上面 |
[31:00] | ‘God! To have a clear out was terrible. | 天哪 上个厕所真的太可怕了 |
[31:03] | People used to go to the toilet with no privacy.’ | 人们习惯了上厕所时毫无隐私可言 |
[31:06] | ‘Being rather a shy nature, if I pissed | 因为我天性非常腼腆 所以如果 |
[31:09] | with somebody, I felt a bit nervous | 和别人一起撒尿 我会有点紧张 |
[31:11] | but, when you’re in the army, | 但是 如果在军队里 |
[31:13] | you got quite used to it.’ | 你会对这习以为常的 |
[31:15] | ‘It didn’t matter a damn, cos there’s | 这一点关系都没有 因为军队里没有 |
[31:17] | no women or anything like that.’ | 女人之类的东西 |
[31:18] | ‘The flies used to crawl all over your bottom. | 苍蝇常常会爬满你的屁股 |
[31:21] | Most unpleasant.’ | 这是最讨厌的 |
[31:22] | ‘We had no such thing as toilet rolls.’ | 我们也没有卫生纸之类的东西 |
[31:24] | ‘You had to wipe your behind with your hand.’ | 所以你得用手来擦屁股 |
[31:27] | ‘Your hands might have been in all sorts, | 你的手上可能会沾满各种各样的东西 |
[31:29] | but you never washed.’ | 但是你从来不会去洗 |
[31:30] | ‘Well, you heard a terrific shout…’ | 你听到了一声可怕的叫喊 |
[31:33] | Christ! ‘..and the pole had snapped | -天哪 -支撑的棍子咔嚓一声断了 |
[31:36] | and the four men who were sitting | 四个坐在台子上的人 |
[31:37] | on the bar fell down in the muck.’ | 全部仰头翻进了粪便里去 |
[31:39] | ‘There was always a humorous side of the war. | 战争里常有些场景令人啼笑皆非 |
[31:44] | ‘We had to put rifles down for them to hang onto | 我们得伸长步枪把他们捞上来 |
[31:47] | and they came out like slimy rabbits | 他们上岸时像极了黏糊糊的兔子 |
[31:49] | and nobody wanted to go near ’em.’ | 没有一个人愿意挨上他们 |
[31:54] | ‘We had no spare clothes at all | 我们没有一点多余出来的衣服 |
[31:56] | and you were living for weeks without washing or getting a bath.’ | 而且你会连续几个星期不洗衣服不洗澡 |
[32:00] | ‘And I personally became really badly infested | 我的身上爬满了跳蚤 |
[32:04] | and “chatty” as we used to call it, with these lice.’ | 变得肮脏不堪邋里邋遢 |
[32:07] | ‘Oh, lice was a dreadful problem.’ | 跳蚤是一个令人毛骨悚然的难题 |
[32:10] | ‘They were funny little things, | 它们是些古怪的小东西 |
[32:11] | like little lobster sort of things | 长得像龙虾之类 |
[32:13] | with six legs and they used to feed ten times a day.’ | 有六条腿 常常一天十餐 |
[32:16] | ‘You had to kill the bloody things. | 你得把这些该死的东西弄死 |
[32:18] | My favourite way was burning them.’ | 我最喜欢用火烧了它们 |
[32:20] | ‘You would run the seams over a lighted candle | 你会把线缝放在蜡烛上烤 |
[32:23] | and you could hear the eggs going pop-pop-pop-pop-pop-pop-pop!’ | 然后就能听到虫卵噗噗噗噗噗地响 |
[32:27] | ‘The sooner you got your shirt back again, | 越早把衬衫拿走穿 |
[32:29] | the heat of the body hatched the eggs that you’d missed.’ | 身体的热量越会孵化剩下的卵 |
[32:33] | ‘We were just as lousy next day.’ | 第二天我们还是糟糕依旧 |
[32:34] | 成千上万的援兵 即将到来 | |
[32:39] | ‘Each man prepared his own breakfast.’ Cheerio. | -大家都自行准备早餐 -你好啊 |
[32:42] | ‘Bread and jam. | 面包和果酱 |
[32:43] | It was about 16 men to a loaf of bread.’ | 差不多一条面包要16个人来分 |
[32:48] | ‘There’d be a little of bacon, which | 还有一点培根 |
[32:50] | would suffice for half a dozen men.’ | 足够6个人吃 |
[32:52] | ‘You put your rasher of bacon in your mess tin lid, | 把培根片放在军用饭盒的盖上 |
[32:55] | put a few more sticks on your fire | 往火里多加些柴火棍儿 |
[32:57] | and you would fry your bacon… | 你就可以油炸培根 |
[33:00] | …and then soak up the fat with a piece of biscuit. | 然后用一块饼干把油给吸掉 |
[33:03] | Then there you are with a breakfast.’ | 早餐就完成了 |
[33:05] | ‘Dinnertime was mostly bully beef cut up and stewed | 晚餐常常是混切在一起炖着的 |
[33:08] | along with all sorts of vegetables from tins.’ | 咸牛肉和罐头蔬菜 |
[33:11] | ‘Magonoghie’s tinned stew was mixed up with the bully beef.’ | 罐头食品里混满了咸牛肉 |
[33:14] | ‘I’ve got into French dugouts | 我曾经进过法国防空洞 |
[33:16] | and eaten biscuits which have been left | 吃了里面留下来的饼干 |
[33:18] | by the troops two years’ previously | 是两年前其他部队剩下的 |
[33:20] | and tasted the green mould in them, | 我能尝到里面绿色霉菌的味道 |
[33:22] | but they didn’t do me any harm.’ | 但是我并没有生病 |
[33:24] | ‘This was how it was and anything’s | 这就是当时的情景 |
[33:26] | good, you know, when you’re hungry.’ | 当你很饿的时候 能吃的就是美味 |
[33:28] | ‘And people were always hungry.’ | 那个时候人们常常感到饥饿 |
[33:32] | ‘At any given moment, you can expect to be shelled. | 不论什么时候 你都可能被炸死 |
[33:36] | You got very little protection against that.’ | 你几乎没有任何保护措施 |
[33:39] | ‘One would hear a mild pop | 五英里之外发炮时 |
[33:41] | as the gun fired five miles away…’ | 人们能听到轻微的响声 |
[33:43] | – Sir, here. Very good. | -长官 这里 -很好 |
[33:45] | ‘..and in the five or six seconds it took for them to come, | 炮弹会在五六秒之内飞来 |
[33:48] | you can pass through quite a number of psychological changes.’ | 你心里会紧张不安 |
[33:55] | Steady! | 稳住 |
[33:57] | ‘I can’t remember anything more nerve-wracking | 没有什么比持续的轰炸更让人 |
[34:00] | than the continuous shelling, without stop, day and night.’ | 紧张流汗了 它从不间断 日日夜夜 |
[34:04] | ‘Well, we were always told that you | 我们常常听说 |
[34:05] | never heard the shell that hit you | 炮弹击中你时 你是听不到爆炸声的 |
[34:07] | because most of them travelled faster than sound.’ | 因为炮弹的速度比声速快得多 |
[34:10] | ‘You could literally feel your heart pounding against the ground. | 你甚至能感到心脏砰砰撞击地面 |
[34:14] | The emotional strain was absolutely terrific.’ | 情绪会极度紧张 |
[34:17] | ‘Although a shell might burst 50 yards away, | 尽管轰炸可能在50码开外 |
[34:19] | you might find a fragment of jagged iron | 还是会有烧得火红的 |
[34:22] | really red hot and weighing half a pound | 凹凸不平的半磅铁片 |
[34:24] | arriving in your trench.’ | 落到你的战壕里 |
[34:26] | ‘I mean, you’d seen people blown to little bits. | 你眼睁睁看着人们被炸得七零八碎 |
[34:29] | I’ve actually had to put a man in a sandbag.’ | 我曾经不得不把别人装进沙袋里 |
[34:31] | ‘Every now and again, there would be a great roar | 时不时就会有巨大的轰响声 |
[34:33] | like an aeroplane coming in to land.’ – | 就像有架飞机即将要降落似的 |
[34:37] | ‘And, in a fifth-of-a-second, your resolution would break | 在0.2秒的时候 你可能会判断失误 |
[34:40] | and you’d throw yourself into the mud | 然后跑到了泥地里去 |
[34:42] | and the other ones laugh at you.’ | 其他人会对你放声大笑 |
[34:43] | ‘The shrapnel shell would burst in the air | 榴霰弹会在空中炸开 |
[34:46] | and spray bullets on the troops below… | 向地面的军队扫射子弹 |
[34:49] | …as if they’re from a shotgun.’ | 就像是霰弹枪里射出的一样 |
[34:54] | ‘The bullets came down, | 子弹飞射下来 |
[34:55] | whistling like all the hobs of hell.’ | 像是地狱里的烤炉搁架在呼啸 |
[35:00] | ‘Another one of the annoyances we had | 我们的另一个难题是 |
[35:02] | was that the Germans were very active with mining. | 德国人热衷于在地下埋炸弹 |
[35:07] | We crouched down underneath the front | 我们蹲伏在防护矮墙下 |
[35:09] | parapet to dodge the debris falling | 躲避落下来的碎片 |
[35:11] | and I got the men to open up rapid fire | 我命令士兵们快速射击 |
[35:13] | to prevent the Germans from getting into | 防止德国人进入坑中 |
[35:15] | that crater where they could bomb us.’ | 轰炸我们 |
[35:18] | ‘As the front line gets damaged, | 前线战壕一旦被破坏 |
[35:20] | it’s got to be repaired. | 就得立刻去修复 |
[35:21] | Well, the people who were in the line, | 待在战壕里的人 |
[35:23] | they’ve got to get on with it.’ | 只能继续这样下去 |
[35:25] | ‘I had in my mind that we expected big | 我曾经甚至想有 |
[35:28] | gunfire to light amongst all us cavalry | 猛烈的炮火轰炸我们骑兵 |
[35:30] | and absolutely swipe us off the face of the earth.’ | 这样一定能把我们从地球的表面抹去 |
[35:36] | ‘I shouted, “Gallop!” like that!’ | 我大声命令 快速前进 像这样 |
[35:38] | ‘And they dropped ’em all amongst the horses. | 炮火在战马之间轰炸 |
[35:42] | Ooh, a heck of a mess. | 真是一团糟 |
[35:43] | The horses were laying down with their intestines hanging out | 被炸倒的战马的肠子直勾勾地挂出来 |
[35:47] | and men with matter hanging out their heads.’ | 还有那些头上挂彩的人 |
[35:49] | Regroup! | 重新组队 |
[35:50] | ‘The boys, they said, “Bloody Germans!” | 那些男孩们骂道 该死的德国佬 |
[35:52] | To lose a horse was like losing a friend.’ | 失去一匹马就像失去了一个朋友 |
[35:55] | Ready! ‘The brigadier turned to our captain. | -准备 -准将向我们的上尉求助 |
[35:58] | He said, | 他说 |
[35:58] | “See that the boy has two or three days’ rest. | 看那个男孩 已经萎靡不振两三天了 |
[36:01] | When a boy likes an animal like that, | 如果一个人能喜爱动物到如此程度 |
[36:02] | there’s not a lot wrong with him.”‘ | 他一定犯不出什么大错 |
[36:04] | ‘Over the whole of the front line, there was a smell. | 前线的各个地方 都有股味道 |
[36:07] | It wasn’t a complicated smell. | 这不是什么复杂的气味 |
[36:09] | It was the smell of decaying corpses.’ | 是腐烂的尸体散发出的气味 |
[36:12] | ‘Nasty, sickly smell. | 恶心 难闻的气味 |
[36:14] | You never forgot that smell.’ | 你永远忘不了那气味 |
[36:19] | ‘It was the smell of death. | 这气味意味着死亡 |
[36:21] | If you’ve ever smelt a dead mouse, | 如果你闻过死老鼠 |
[36:23] | it was like that, but hundreds and hundreds of times worse.’ | 你就知道了 但是会更恶心千百倍 |
[36:29] | ‘It seemed to cling to everything. | 这气味永远挥之不去 |
[36:30] | When you were having your food, you could taste it.’ | 甚至当你在吃饭时 你都可以尝出来 |
[36:33] | ‘The awful stench and bits of human bodies lying about, | 到处弥漫着恶臭 尸横遍野 |
[36:38] | it became an everyday thing. | 天天如此 |
[36:41] | You thought, “Well, it’ll be | 你会想 下一个就轮到你了 |
[36:42] | your turn next. What does it matter?”‘ | 但这有什么关系 |
[36:46] | ‘Wherever there was a grave or a body, there were rats.’ | 哪里有坟墓或者尸体 哪里就有老鼠 |
[36:50] | ‘They were all big, fat ones | 它们既肥又大 |
[36:52] | and we knew where they got their fat from.’ | 我们很清楚 它们为什么肥得流油 |
[36:55] | ‘Unpleasant animals, because of the filtration into the graves.’ | 令人讨厌的动物 渗进坟里 |
[37:00] | ‘They used to feed on the dead and come in the dugouts, | 它们靠尸体为生 爬进防空洞里 |
[37:03] | pick up scraps in there.’ | 找一些残羹剩饭 |
[37:05] | ‘I woke up at the bottom of the trench | 我在战壕底醒来 |
[37:07] | and felt something warm on my face | 觉得脸上有什么东西暖暖的 |
[37:09] | and a little heart went bang-bang-bang-bang-bang. | 有颗小心脏在砰砰砰砰砰地跳动 |
[37:12] | The devil scratched my face with the | 这个恶魔逃走时 |
[37:14] | claws of his hind feet as he took off.’ | 用它的后腿划破了我的脸 |
[37:16] | ‘We’d try and shoot them, hit them, | 我们不断开枪射击它们 击打它们 |
[37:18] | kill them, chase them, | 杀死它们 追捕它们 |
[37:19] | do anything.’ | 无所不用其极 |
[37:20] | ‘Then you’ve got gas.’ | 等待你的还有毒气 |
[37:24] | ‘We saw this green cloud coming toward us, | 会有绿色的烟雾朝我们席卷而来 |
[37:26] | just rolling slowly along the ground.’ | 在地面上缓慢翻腾前进 |
[37:28] | ‘They’d shout, “Gas!” | 有人大叫 毒气 |
[37:30] | and we had to take our mask out and | 然后我们必须拿出面罩 |
[37:32] | stick it on in two or three seconds.’ | 在两到三秒钟内戴上它 |
[37:34] | ‘Yes, it was phosgene gas. Later on, there was mustard gas. | 这是光气 紧接着 会有芥子气 |
[37:39] | That was very effective. | 这种气体作用强烈 |
[37:41] | I never saw a “slightly gassed” man.’ | 我从来没见过一个只是轻度中毒的人 |
[37:43] | If you couldn’t get your gas mask, | 如果你来不及拿防毒面具 |
[37:45] | you were to pee on your handkerchief | 也可以撒尿在手帕上 |
[37:47] | and stuff this round your nose and mouth.’ | 然后用手帕捂住嘴鼻 |
[37:49] | ‘I don’t mind admitting I didn’t think | 说实话我不太喜欢 |
[37:51] | much of urinating on handkerchiefs, | 撒尿在手帕上 |
[37:53] | so I went into one of the trench latrines | 于是我就跑到一个战壕厕所里 |
[37:56] | and I stuck my head in the bucket. | 把脸埋到粪桶里 |
[37:58] | I’ll tell you, I couldn’t hold my breath any more, | 说实话 那时候我实在憋不下去了 |
[38:00] | came up, | 就抬起头 |
[38:01] | took a good breath of air, down again.’ | 猛吸一口气 再把脸埋进去 |
[38:03] | ‘We were very soon enveloped in | 很快我们就被 |
[38:05] | this thick, yellow, filthy cloud.’ | 浓厚 黄色 肮脏的气体包裹了 |
[38:07] | ‘The more we tried to get rid of the | 我们越想摆脱眼睛的刺痛感 |
[38:09] | stinging in our eyes, the worse it got.’ | 情况往往越糟糕 |
[38:14] | ‘I thought deeply of what the effect | 我一度沉思 |
[38:16] | of blindness was going to be.’ | 失明后会变得怎么样 |
[38:18] | ‘But the extraction of clotted blood and the injection of saline | 提取血凝块和注射生理盐水 |
[38:22] | could alleviate a lot of the trouble | 能缓解很大的疼痛 |
[38:24] | and, as I was gassed myself, | 当我自己被毒气熏倒时 |
[38:26] | I can speak from experience.’ | 我就有经验之谈了 |
[38:29] | ‘In the wintertime, as the weather deteriorated, | 一到冬天 天气进一步恶化 |
[38:32] | so the trenches got more and more sodden with water | 战壕变得越来越潮湿 |
[38:36] | until they just became ditches.’ | 大量积水使战壕几乎变成了沟渠 |
[38:38] | ‘The water was swirling about our feet | 刚开始水只是在我们脚边打转 |
[38:40] | and rising higher and higher | 之后它越升越高 |
[38:42] | until it reached our chests. | 一直涨到了我们胸口 |
[38:44] | Our difficulty was frostbite. | 我们面临的是冻伤 |
[38:47] | Our gumboots filled with water | 长筒胶靴里灌满了水 |
[38:49] | and, in the mornings, we could not strip them off, | 早上醒来 我们根本脱不掉它 |
[38:52] | because they were frozen to our feet.’ | 因为靴子被冰粘在脚上了 |
[38:54] | ‘When you’re talking about trench feet, | 战壕里的双脚 |
[38:56] | you’re talking about gangrene. | 就意味着坏疽 |
[38:58] | Send him straight down the line. Hack the legs off.’ | 从前线撤下伤员 砍掉他们的腿 |
[39:03] | Give us a hand with that. | 快来帮帮我们 |
[39:05] | ‘When the water had soaked into the earth, | 当水重新被土地吸收时 |
[39:07] | the floors of the trenches were just paved with liquid mud | 战壕底就满是泥浆 |
[39:11] | and that became like glue.’ | 它的效果和胶水一样 |
[39:14] | ‘It was a curious, sucking kind of mud. | 这是种古怪的 有粘性的土 |
[39:17] | Very viscous indeed. | 真的非常粘稠 |
[39:19] | Very tenacious. It stuck to you.’ | 粘性超强 会把你紧紧粘住 |
[39:22] | ‘If one had to go to the rear for rations, | 如果有人要到后方取口粮 |
[39:26] | well, that was just a nightmare journey, slithering about. | 那就是一场滑溜溜的噩梦 |
[39:29] | When it was pouring with rain, and on slippery duckboards, | 当雨下的很大 在很滑的遮泥板上 |
[39:33] | the language was really edifying. | 听到的话真的是开了眼了 |
[39:35] | You heard words that you never dreamed existed. | 你能听到从来未曾想过的词汇 |
[39:38] | And, if you slipped off the duckboards, you sank into | 你滑下挡泥板的话 你就会陷进 |
[39:41] | the mud of decomposed bodies of humans and mules, | 能分解人和骡子尸体的泥泞之中 |
[39:45] | and that was the end of you. | 那就是你的死期了 |
[39:47] | The boy was in the middle of this huge sea of mud, struggling, | 那男孩陷进了这一大片泥的海洋 挣扎着 |
[39:50] | and we couldn’t do a thing. | 我们什么也做不了 |
[39:52] | There was no hope of getting to him. | 没有办法能救到他 |
[39:54] | The look on the lad’s face, and he was | 他脸上的的神情 |
[39:55] | only a mere boy, was really pathetic. | 他还是个小男孩 真的让人可怜 |
[39:58] | I’ve seen men sinking into the mud and dying in the slime. | 我见过有人陷进去在泥里等死 |
[40:02] | I think it absolutely finished me off. | 那绝对让我的心都碎了 |
[40:06] | It was supposed to be quiet, then you | 应该是很安静的 然后 |
[40:08] | might get some drunken German say, | 你能听见一些喝醉的德国人说 |
[40:10] | “I’m gonna give ’em hell today,” open up with all his batteries | 今天就干掉他们 然后倾泻他所有的火力 |
[40:13] | and catch hundreds of people unaware. | 把几百个人都吓一跳 |
[40:15] | That was what they called “holding a line”. | 这就是他们所谓的”坚守阵地” |
[40:19] | We were in conditions that isolated us | 我们在一个跟文明世界 |
[40:21] | completely from civilisation. | 与世隔绝的地方 |
[40:23] | We got so degenerate, so isolated, living in this mud. | 在这泥潭里我们变得如此退化 如此孤立 |
[40:27] | And you could sympathise with how a rabbit must feel, | 你能跟一只兔子感同身受 |
[40:31] | because we were hunted by mankind just the same as a rabbit. | 因为我们跟兔子一样被人类猎杀 |
[40:34] | You knew your lives were in one another’s hands | 你知道你们的命在彼此手中 |
[40:37] | and it united you closely and you didn’t | 所以你们变得如此团结 |
[40:39] | let anything interfere with that. | 没有什么能让阻挡你们 |
[40:42] | You knew what was going on within your vision. | 在你视线所及的地方你知道发生了什么 |
[40:44] | Beyond that, you hadn’t got a clue. | 除此之外你什么都不知道 |
[40:47] | You didn’t care how the war was going, whether you were winning. | 你不关心战争走势如何 是不是要赢了 |
[40:50] | You weren’t bothered with that at all. | 跟你好像都没关系 |
[40:52] | You lived like tramps. You didn’t polish any buttons. | 你活得跟流浪汉一样 也不去擦亮扣子了 |
[40:56] | You wore any uniform bits that you liked and nobody worried. | 随你穿你想穿的也没人在意 |
[40:59] | All they were concerned with was that you were fit to fight. | 他们只关心你还能不能继续打仗 |
[41:02] | If nothing’s happened, you’d chat about life, | 如果没什么事的话 就开始聊人生 |
[41:05] | where he came from, where you came from. | 他从哪来 你从哪来 |
[41:07] | Everything was friendly. | 一切都很友善 |
[41:08] | There was a terrific lot of kindness in a way to each person. | 每个人都变得亲切的要命 |
[41:12] | When the war was not very active, | 当没那么多战事的时候 |
[41:13] | it was really rather fun to be in the front line. | 在前线还是挺有趣的 |
[41:16] | It was not very dangerous. | 也不怎么危险 |
[41:18] | A sort of out-of-door camping holiday with the boys | 像是男孩们放假出门野营一样 |
[41:21] | with a slight spice of danger to make it interesting.’ | 还有一丝危险让它更加有趣 |
[41:25] | We used to raid the trenches and get a prisoner if possible.’ | 我们有时会突袭战壕 可能还能抓个俘虏 |
[41:29] | On a typical trench raid, | 一次突袭战嚎 |
[41:30] | there’d be perhaps eight in the party. | 可能会有八个人参加 |
[41:34] | If you were going to make a raid, | 要去突袭的话 |
[41:35] | somebody would cut a passage through the wire at night. | 晚上会有人来传信 |
[41:40] | The only way to do it was silently… | 只有静悄悄的 |
[41:45] | …to rush it, and that was the arrangement.’ | 才能去突袭 也是这么安排的 |
[41:47] | We would bayonet the Germans coming out | 从壕里爬出来的德国人 |
[41:49] | on their hands and knees out the dugout, | 我们用刺刀刺死他们 |
[41:51] | we’d smack them over the head, and throw in a couple of bombs. | 打爆他们的头 再往里扔几个炸弹 |
[41:59] | There were three ways of getting rid of him. | 有三种方式来干掉他 |
[42:02] | One was to knife him, garrotte him, or to bayonet him. | 刀死他 绞死他 刺死他 |
[42:05] | The quietest was a quick wrap around | 最安静的方法是 |
[42:07] | the throat and a knife into the back. | 扼住他喉咙在后心来一刀 |
[42:14] | I threw the revolver at poor little Rudolph. | 我把左轮扔向那个小男孩 |
[42:16] | He was only about 18. I hit him in the face with it. | 他大概才18岁 正好砸到他脸上 |
[42:19] | He screamed and came back at me and that’s when I got him. | 他尖叫着冲过来 我就在那时打到了他 |
[42:22] | Got him with a Very pistol. | 用一把维利信号枪 |
[42:23] | – Well done, chaps! Good raid! – l always had a full flask. | -好样的 突袭的好 -我总带着一壶酒 |
[42:27] | I gave him a drink. I felt very sorry for him. | 给他喝了一口 觉得对不起她 |
[42:30] | He said, “Danke schön. Das ist gut,” | 他说 谢谢你 很好喝 |
[42:32] | and died. | 然后就死掉了 |
[42:34] | Pick up prisoners, lads! | 抓俘虏啦弟兄们 |
[42:41] | And it was a very successful little raid. | 那次突袭很成功 |
[42:44] | They got two prisoners, I think, which was all they all wanted. | 我想抓到了两个吧 正是他们想要的 |
[42:47] | By the way, the men who were captured on the trench raids | 顺便一提 战壕突袭抓来的人 |
[42:50] | were the first Germans I saw on the Western Front. | 是我第一次在西线见到的德国人 |
[42:53] | Right. What else is there? | 还有什么 |
[42:55] | A lot of the German troops were very good, very friendly. | 很多德国部队的人很好很和善 |
[42:58] | In fact, some of those Bavarians were damn good, decent people. | 实际上很多巴伐利亚都很正派 |
[43:02] | The snipers would fire, but not hit anybody, know what I mean?’ | 狙击手会开火但打不到人 懂我的意思吗 |
[43:07] | They put up a sign: “Gott mit uns,” in German, “God is with us.” | 树了个德语写的”上帝与我们同在”的牌子 |
[43:12] | We put up a sign up in English, “We’ve got mittens too.” | 我们就拿英语树了个”我们也有手套” |
[43:14] | We don’t know if the Germans enjoyed that joke or not.’ | 不知道德国人喜不喜欢这个笑话 |
[43:18] | ‘There was a wounded German, a Wartenberger, I think. | 有一个德国伤员 应该是瓦滕贝格人 |
[43:20] | We did what we could for him, we gave | 我们也尽力帮他了 |
[43:22] | him a bit of food, that sort of thing. | 给他点吃的之类的事 |
[43:24] | He was cursing the Prussians like anything.’ | 他还在那骂普鲁士 |
[43:27] | The Saxons were in front of us and they gave us the warning | 撒克逊人在我们面前 提醒我们 |
[43:30] | that they were going to be relieved by the Prussians. | 他们要被普鲁士接班 |
[43:34] | And they said to us, “Give ’em hell!” | 然后跟我们说 送他们下地狱吧 |
[43:37] | They hated the Prussians. | 他们痛恨普鲁士 |
[43:39] | ‘Cos the Prussians were cruel bastards. | 因为普鲁士都是残忍的流氓 |
[43:42] | – This way. – Schnell! Schnell! | -这边 -快 快 |
[43:45] | – Watch yourself! – Come along! | -你小心点 -过来 |
[43:48] | The Bavarians or the Saxonians | 巴伐利亚和萨克森人 |
[43:49] | were the more civilized of the Germans. | 是德国人里最文明的了 |
[43:52] | Part-English, if anything. | 都像英国人了说起来 |
[43:57] | After a four-day spell in the front line, we were relieved | 在前线呆了四天之后 我们换班了 |
[44:01] | and we had to march back to billet | 我们还得跑步回 |
[44:04] | somewhere a few miles behind the lines. | 距离前线好几里的军营 |
[44:07] | We were going for a supposed one-week’s rest. | 我们应该要放一周的假 |
[44:09] | Everybody was dead whacked. | 所有人都疲惫不堪 |
[44:12] | We were all pretty knocked up. | 跟死人差不多 |
[44:14] | ‘We extricated ourselves from the mud | 我们从泥潭里解脱出来 |
[44:16] | to what was somewhat ironically called “rest”. | 然后去讽刺的”休息” |
[44:18] | In the front line itself, | 在前线上 |
[44:20] | you didn’t criticise people. | 你不会去批评人 |
[44:23] | And if you had a chap who was a bit | 如果有个家伙 |
[44:25] | dicky, you would keep an eye on him. | 有点坏 你也只是默默留心 |
[44:27] | It was like being a family but, when you were out of the line, | 像是一家人一样 但当你撤出前线 |
[44:30] | you’d want nothing to do with those people at all. | 你就不想和这些人再有什么瓜葛了 |
[44:32] | You can’t call it “comradeship,” | 在前线呆了几天一起 |
[44:33] | exactly, it was the way you did it. | 也不能让你们变成”同志” |
[44:35] | – Get your mail! – Welcome back. | -来拿你们的信 -欢迎回来 |
[44:38] | The thing which always took me as being absolutely stupid | 我觉得最蠢的一件事是 |
[44:42] | was that the next morning, | 第二天早上 |
[44:44] | every man had to be spick and span, not a trace of mud on him. | 所有人都必须一尘不染 真的一尘都不染 |
[44:50] | You’d brush your clothes or dry them off the best way you could | 你要刷衣服 然后尽量弄干它 |
[44:54] | and clean your boots. | 还要刷靴子 |
[44:56] | In other words, smarten yourself up. | 换句话说 打扮打扮 |
[45:10] | The men would always appear the same: | 所有男人都一样 |
[45:13] | cheerful under the circumstances, | 能快乐就快乐 |
[45:15] | happy as they could be, and making | 能开心就开心 |
[45:17] | the best of everything, you know, | 非常的乐观 |
[45:19] | in true British fashion.’ | 就是英国人的样子 |
[45:22] | – What? – The Cockney wit was prevalent. | -怎么了 -都有伦敦式的俏皮 |
[45:25] | And we were all lads together, you know. | 我们像一群哥们在一起 |
[45:28] | We didn’t care a bugger. | 有点困难也没什么 |
[45:29] | We’d make a fuss about nothing. | 我们都不会大惊小怪了 |
[45:33] | Little things that didn’t matter really, | 小事已经不那么重要了 |
[45:35] | because it was something to fill the time in. | 就是消磨时间而已 |
[45:37] | We used to have to make our own amusements. | 我们会自娱自乐 |
[45:40] | Bloody bastard. | 你个混蛋 |
[45:41] | You laughed at the slightest things. | 一点小事都会让你大笑 |
[45:44] | I think probably it was the general tension of the atmosphere | 可能是因为战场上气氛太紧张 |
[45:47] | that used to make us like that, you know. | 才让我们那样的 |
[45:51] | My mother sent me a parcel with a plum pudding of all things | 我妈妈给我寄来了一块李子布丁 |
[45:54] | and I had no thought of being able to | 我都不知道怎么吃它 |
[45:56] | cook it, so we used it as a rugby ball.’ | 然后我们就拿它当球打了 |
[46:00] | We had this regimental sports day | 我们会有军团运动会 |
[46:03] | and I won’t say I was the only sober one, | 应该不止我一个比较清醒 |
[46:06] | but most of ’em were, well, merry about it. | 但是大多数人都玩上头了 |
[46:12] | Come on. Sock him one! | 加油 打他一拳 |
[46:17] | I mean, you took part in everything, | 你什么活动都去参加 |
[46:19] | because you had to fill your time in, | 因为你得让自己忙起来 |
[46:21] | you know, otherwise all you did was sit about and smoke. | 不然在那你只会呆坐着抽烟 |
[46:27] | – Go on, lad! – Get off! | -加油哥们 -下来 |
[46:29] | The only time we saw the artillerymen | 我们只能在回来休息的时候 |
[46:31] | – was when we were out at rest. – Fire! | -看到炮兵 -开火 |
[46:36] | They would be, say, two miles behind the line. | 他们大概会在离前线三公里的地方 |
[46:39] | …eight, two… – Fire! | -八二 -开火 |
[46:41] | We wanted to neutralise enemy batteries, | 我们想干掉敌人的炮 |
[46:44] | so we were registering our batteries on his.’ | 所以告诉我们记录炮手的方位 |
[46:47] | – Fire! – Come on! | -开火 -快点 |
[46:50] | We used to know the line and elevation | 我们知道炮线和斜角 |
[46:52] | because it was done by aircraft. | 因为飞机也是这么做的 |
[46:54] | Once they’re through, go again! | 他们过去之后再开一炮 |
[46:55] | lt’s pretty ghastly, but the idea was | 说来可怕 但是我们 |
[46:58] | to kill as many German gunners | 目标就是能杀几个德国炮手 |
[46:59] | -as you could. – Ready! | -就杀几个 -准备 |
[47:03] | Fire! | 开火 |
[47:09] | Sir. | 长官 |
[47:11] | There was no motorised transport then for guns. | 那时候没有机动车来运枪 |
[47:15] | The guns used to be brought up by horses. | 枪是用马来运的 |
[47:18] | Eight horses to each gun team. Four horses to each wagon team. | 每个枪队八匹马 马车队四匹马 |
[47:21] | About 60 horses. | 大概有60匹马 |
[47:23] | ‘The gunners made a filthy noise, | 炮手发出的响声 |
[47:26] | jingling and jingling and the horses making noises both ends | 让两头的马都受惊了 |
[47:29] | and it was always a great concern for | 我们这些去前线打仗的人 |
[47:30] | those of us who were going to battle.’ | 就会很担心他们 |
[47:32] | Heave! | 起 |
[47:36] | – Come on! – Heave! | -加油 -起 |
[47:43] | Each company officer paid his own company. | 每个连长负责给自己连发报酬 |
[47:45] | Now, it was generally the first morning | 基本上是我们撤回来 |
[47:48] | after we were out of the line, | 头天早上 |
[47:50] | you got five francs. | 你会得到五法郎 |
[47:52] | A franc was worth ten pence, so 50 pence | 一个法郎值十便士 所以是50便士 |
[47:54] | was your pay for a fortnight. 50 pence. | 是你两周的报酬 50便士 |
[47:56] | Now, that’s a week of riotous living. | 然后就是一周的放荡生活 |
[47:58] | 你的报酬 存一点-到你退伍回归百姓的时候 | |
[48:00] | Every town of any size at all had a brothel | 每个镇子不论大小都有一个妓院 |
[48:03] | and that was where most of these boys | 那里也是大多数男孩 |
[48:06] | learnt a little more about life | 跟正常人不一样的 |
[48:08] | than they would ever have done in normal, civil life. | 深入了解人生的地方 |
[48:11] | So, although they were young in years, | 所以尽管他们当时还很年轻 |
[48:13] | it wasn’t long before they were quite worldly men.’ | 没用多久他们也世故起来 |
[48:16] | One of the lads said, “Let’s go | 有个哥们说 |
[48:18] | and have a look in the White Star! | 去瞧瞧白色星星吧 |
[48:20] | It’s like a pub. | 是个小酒吧 |
[48:21] | I’d led a very sheltered life | 我见识不多 |
[48:24] | and there were beautiful girls with just a piece of lace on. | 然后那些美丽的姑娘就穿了一件蕾丝 |
[48:28] | And, ooh, my word! I’d never seen anything like it before. | 天呐 我从来没见过这样的 |
[48:32] | There was I, the young lads, knowing nothing about this. | 我们一群小年轻之前什么都知不道 |
[48:35] | Off we go and these men were going up regularly to see the girls. | 然后就开始经常光顾那些女孩了 |
[48:39] | I was very keen. I said to one of these | 我比较机智 问其中一个讲 |
[48:41] | fellas, “I’ve only got a six pence.” | 我只有六便士 |
[48:43] | “Well, that’s no good,” he said, “It’s a shilling.” | 那不行啊 他说 要一先令呢 |
[48:45] | That was my first experience of a brothel. | 那就是我第一次去妓院的经历 |
[48:48] | Anyway, we looked in there for a couple of minutes, | 我们进去看了几分钟 |
[48:51] | when four or five naked girls came running down the corridor. | 当四五个赤裸的女孩从走廊里跑出来的时 |
[48:52] | 《纠结》 算了 伯特 战壕里更安全 | |
[48:54] | We turned tail and ran! | 我们转头就跑 |
[48:56] | It was an eye-opener to me. | 我算是开了眼了 |
[48:58] | There she stood, a great big woman | 她就站在哪 一个丰腴的女人 |
[49:00] | with this little cane in her hand | 手里拿着个教鞭 |
[49:02] | and she belted my backside as if I was a little schoolboy. | 像我是小学生一样抽我的背 |
[49:05] | “Petty sergeant this” and “Petty sergeant the other!” | 这个军官 那个军官的叫着 |
[49:11] | ‘Ooh, gambling! Good Lord! People were gambling all day long. | 赌博 天呐 那时候我们成天赌 |
[49:14] | The Canadians and Australians used | 加拿大人和澳大利亚人过去 |
[49:16] | to gamble terrific amounts of money, | 常常赌上一大笔钱 |
[49:18] | more money than I’d ever seen.’ | 比我见过的任何一笔都要多 |
[49:20] | Beer up! | 酒啊 |
[49:23] | ‘The beer was very thin indeed. | 这里的啤酒确实很淡 |
[49:25] | It was one-and-nine stuff. | 只有十分之一是酒 |
[49:27] | One pint, nine piddles.’ | 一品脱 九泡尿 |
[49:30] | ‘Friday was always the issue day for cigarettes. | 周五总是香烟的发放日 |
[49:30] | 我们的男兵 想抽烟 | |
[49:33] | And the cigarettes were Three Witches, | 香烟上有三个女巫 |
[49:34] | 每募捐25加分 我们将投入一加元 | |
[49:34] | 稍等一下 凯撒 | |
[49:36] | which soon became “Three Bitches”, or Red Hussars. | 很快地变成了三个婊子 或红色的沙皇 |
[49:37] | 所有的钱 都会用来 购买香烟 | |
[49:39] | I think they were made from stable returns. | 我认为收益是稳定的 |
[49:44] | But, generally, in good-sized villages, | 不过总的来说 在大型的村庄里 |
[49:47] | you could get Woodbines and Player’s | 你可以拿到忍冬牌香烟和玩者牌香烟 |
[49:49] | and they were far preferable to the issue cigarettes.’ | 它们远比发放的香烟要受欢迎 |
[49:54] | ‘Of course, we were always bartering with the Frenchmen. | 当然 我们一直在和法国人做交易 |
[49:57] | We used to barter some of our | 我们过去用我们的内衣去换 |
[49:59] | under-clothing and get a loaf of bread.’ | 然后拿一条面包回来 |
[50:01] | ‘We used to swap our British cigarettes for their French wine.’ | 我们也用我们的英国货香烟去换他们的法国酒 |
[50:05] | ‘It could be just as tiring out of the line | 不上前线和上前线一样累 |
[50:07] | as in the line and it was sometimes worse.’ | 有时候还会更糟糕 |
[50:10] | ‘If you were chosen for a fatigue, | 如果你被选中做杂役 |
[50:12] | you’d have to go on the working party.’ | 那么你就得参加工作小组 |
[50:15] | ‘You collected stores from a big dump three or four miles back. | 你从三四英里外的一个大垃圾堆里收集杂物 |
[50:20] | Enormous bundles of sandbags, ready made-up duckboards | 大捆大捆的沙袋 准备好的遮泥板 |
[50:24] | and, worst of all, barbed wire.’ | 最糟糕的是铁丝网 |
[50:26] | That’s that. ‘It was always hard work. | 就是这样 永远都是艰难的工作 |
[50:29] | You were a bonny, labouring boy more than you were a fighter.’ | 比起是战士 更是漂亮的能劳动的男孩 |
[50:32] | ‘All the chaps were very tired, but it made no difference.’ | 每个人都非常累 但是这无济于事 |
[50:36] | ‘And they were mentally tired out. | 他们精神上也彻底疲惫了 |
[50:38] | They’d come out of a trench tour for a rest | 他们爬出战壕休息一会 |
[50:40] | and this was the rest they were getting.’ | 这就是他们仅能获得的休息了 |
[50:42] | Tuck it down now. | 现在把它塞下去 |
[50:44] | ‘You would be carrying stuff up on a light railway.’ | 你们会在轻轨上抗着东西 |
[50:47] | ‘Yes, they laid a narrow-gauge light railway track.’ | 是的 他们铺设了窄轨轻轨 |
[50:52] | ‘It was the simplest of things, just platforms on wheels, | 这是最简单的东西了 轮子上设了平台 |
[50:55] | driven by light locomotives.’ | 被轻型机车驱动 |
[51:05] | ‘Light railways, well, they were always a blooming nuisance, | 轻轨总是令人厌烦的 |
[51:08] | because they were always coming off the track.’ | 因为总是偏离轨道 |
[51:11] | ‘They lost control of this truck going down a slight incline | 他们没控制好这辆卡车 |
[51:15] | and it barged into the one in front, | 从一个小斜坡上滑下来 撞上前面那辆 |
[51:17] | scattered duckboards all over the place.’ | 遮泥板被撞得到处都是 |
[51:21] | ‘We used to take our mess tins up to the engine driver | 我们过去常常把乱糟糟的罐头拿到驾驶员面前 |
[51:25] | and get some boiling water for our brew up of tea.’ | 拿点沸水用来冲泡我们的茶 |
[51:29] | – Stop messing around. And another. | 别瞎闹了 再来一个 |
[51:33] | Second line there. | 这里的第二条线 |
[51:35] | ‘The Germans could see the steam and smoke from the steam engine, | 德国人可以看见蒸汽和烟雾从蒸汽机里出来 |
[51:39] | so then it was mostly petrol engines | 所以过去主要是燃油发动机 |
[51:42] | which used to run up to the trenches.’ | 跑到战壕里去 |
[51:47] | ‘The light railway only went as far as the communication trench | 轻轨只延伸到通信战壕那么远 |
[51:50] | and then we had to push the thing along by hand.’ | 剩下的路我们得自己用手推了 |
[51:53] | Now, then… | 接着 |
[51:57] | ‘Somebody came along and said, “Oh, this is it! | 有人走过来说 就是这样 |
[51:59] | We’re gonna be home by Christmas.” “Oh?” | -我们会在圣诞节之前回家的 -是吗 |
[52:01] | “Well, just go down the road and look | 从这条路一直走下去 |
[52:03] | in a field there, you’ll see.” | 看到那里的田野 你就会懂的 |
[52:04] | Wouldn’t tell us why. Anyway, we went down.’ | 不会告诉我们为什么 总之走就对了 |
[52:07] | ‘They were on the roadside covered with tarpaulin sheets. | 他们被放置在路边盖着篷布 |
[52:11] | You could see nothing except a square outline.’ | 除了一个方形的轮廓你什么也看不出来 |
[52:14] | ‘And then the officer said, | 然后长官会说 |
[52:15] | “These are supposed to be hush-hush.”‘ | 这些应该是要保密的 |
[52:17] | ‘When we asked what it was, the simple reply was, “Tanks.” | 我们问是什么 只是简单回复”坦克” |
[52:21] | Knowing the shortage of water, we naturally assumed water tanks | 考虑到水的短缺 我们自然地假定是水箱 |
[52:24] | and thought we were getting reserve supplies. | 以为我们会有备用的储备 |
[52:27] | It was one of the best-kept secrets.’ | 这只是被保护的很好的秘密之一 |
[52:29] | ‘We were delighted as these wonderful | 我们很高兴 |
[52:31] | machines were going to win the war… | 当这些漂亮的机器为我们赢得战争的时候 |
[52:34] | …and soon everybody’d be home again. | 那么不久大家就可以回家了 |
[52:36] | Of course, it didn’t happen like that.’ | 当然 从未如愿发生过 |
[52:41] | ‘We were taken out of the line and had intensive training.’ | 我们被带出了队伍 接受了紧张的培训 |
[52:46] | ‘Plunge the bayonet into the sack, shout like hell.’ | 把刺刀插进沙袋 怒吼着 |
[52:49] | ‘It was to get used to plunging them into somebody’s body.’ | 是为了让我们习惯如何刺进别人的身体 |
[52:53] | ‘Then we fired our rifles on the rifle range.’ | 我们也在步枪射击场练习射击 |
[53:03] | ‘Firing rifle grenades was a specialist job.’ | 发射手榴弹是个技术活 |
[53:08] | ‘But they were clumsy. | 但是他们笨手笨脚的 |
[53:10] | I didn’t like them much.’ | 我一点也不喜欢他们 |
[53:15] | ‘Forced marching, marching without a rest | 强行军 行进的时候一次休息也没有 |
[53:17] | and also frontal attack, right flank attack, left flank attack, | 还有正面强攻 右翼突袭和左翼突袭 |
[53:21] | both flanks attack, night attack | 两翼攻击 夜袭 |
[53:23] | and we wondered what the devil all this training was for.’ | 我们就纳闷这些辛苦训练究竟是为了什么 |
[53:28] | ‘The corps commander said that he had just received instructions | 军队指挥官说他只是收到指令 |
[53:32] | to go ahead with an operation | 让我们前进 |
[53:34] | to break through the German lines.’ | 执行突破德军防线的任务 |
[53:37] | Come on, Wellington! | 来了 惠灵顿 |
[53:38] | ‘We were told to parade, full marching | 我们被收到指令 列队 全速行军 |
[53:40] | order. We had to go back up the front. | 我们得返回前线了 |
[53:42] | We’d only been out of the line a couple of days.’ | 我们才出前线一些时日而已 |
[53:45] | ‘We could see streams of supplies, | 我们可以看见源源不断的供给 |
[53:47] | mostly ammunition columns going up towards the front.’ | 大部分是送往前线的弹药 |
[53:50] | ‘We didn’t have a lot of notice, | 我们没有很多通知 |
[53:53] | but we knew there was gonna be a big advance.’ | 但是我们知道这里要有大动作了 |
[54:09] | ‘So, batteries pushed forward, | 弹药一直在送往前线 |
[54:11] | forward positions filled up with ammunition.’ | 前线充满了弹药 |
[54:14] | – Let’s get these ladders up! | 把这些梯子装上去 |
[54:16] | ‘As our great push drew nearer, the line livened up, | 随着大部队越来越近 队伍也活跃了 |
[54:19] | it began to get much more dangerous and not nearly so much fun.’ | 战争开始变得更加危险 而不再那么有趣 |
[54:23] | ‘We learnt that a bayonet charge was | 我们了解到 将对德国机枪 |
[54:25] | to be made on German machine guns.’ | 进行刺刀冲锋 |
[54:28] | “I wish it to be impressed on all ranks, | 我希望每个人都记住 |
[54:30] | the importance of the operations about to commence. | 接下来要启动的这项行动的重要性 |
[54:34] | The Germans are now outnumbered and outgunned | 德国人现在既没有兵也没有枪 |
[54:37] | and will soon go to pieces | 他们很快就会被打得屁滚尿流 |
[54:38] | if every man goes into the fight | 如果我们每个人都投入战争 |
[54:40] | determined to get through whatever the local difficulties may be. | 决心克服一切可能会发生的问题 |
[54:43] | I am confident that the brigade will distinguish itself | 我有信心我们这支旅队 |
[54:46] | in this, its first battle. | 会在第一场战争中脱颖而出 |
[54:48] | Let every man remember that all England is watching him.” | 每个人都要记住 全英国都在看着你 |
[54:51] | ‘We marched all through the night and it got so bad | 我们一整晚都在行军 情况变得很糟糕 |
[54:55] | that officers at the side were pushing men back into line | 以至于一旁的军官得把跑出去的人 |
[54:58] | who were straggling out and your legs | 推回到队伍里面 |
[55:00] | seemed to go automatically forward. | 你的腿就像是自己会自动前进 |
[55:02] | I had a feeling that we were walking in our sleep.’ | 我就仿佛是在梦游里走一样 |
[55:05] | ‘More men were brought into the line and | 越来越多的人被带到前线 |
[55:07] | regiments were crowded closer together.’ | 军团全都挤在一起了 |
[55:10] | ‘We were filling up the trenches, packed in like sardines.’ | 我们充满了战壕 像沙丁鱼一样挤在里面 |
[55:14] | ‘Our captain was a splendid man. | 我们队长是一个了不起的人 |
[55:16] | He would never bark an order at you. | 他从未怒吼着下指令 |
[55:18] | He would give an order in a conversational way. | 他会以一种谈话的方式给出指令 |
[55:20] | “We don’t know how far this trench is, | 我们不知道这道战壕有多远 |
[55:23] | but it’s between 200 and 300 yards. | 但是在200到300码之间 |
[55:25] | I will go over in the first wave and you’ll be in the second wave | 我会在第一波攻击里 你们在第二波 |
[55:29] | and as soon as the curtain fire starts, we move. | 一旦幕火被点燃 我们就前进 |
[55:32] | Now, go along and tell your men to be ready.” | 现在 直走告诉你的人准备好 |
[55:35] | And this is the sort of order we got.’ | 那就是我们得到的指令 |
[55:37] | ‘Our two assaulting companies were ignorant of | 我们的两个攻击部队都不知道 |
[55:40] | what their conduct would be when they got into action. | 当他们开始采取行动时他们要怎么执行 |
[55:43] | Captain Neville thought it might be | 内维尔上尉想 |
[55:44] | helpful if he could furnish each platoon | 如果他能给每个排装配一个足球 |
[55:46] | with a football and allow them to kick it forward and follow it. | 让他们踢着它向前然后追着它 会多有用 |
[55:49] | I think myself that it did help them | 我自认为这能帮上很大的忙 |
[55:51] | enormously. Took their minds off it.’ | 减轻他们的精神压力 |
[55:53] | ‘We had an extra bandolier of ammunition around our necks | 我们的脖子上多了一个子弹袋 |
[55:57] | and if you didn’t have a shovel, you had a pick.’ | 要么拿着铲子 要么拿着镐 |
[56:00] | ‘We got in the trenches and we waited for zero hour. | 我们到达战壕 等着攻等时刻 |
[56:02] | All the watches are synchronised.’ | 所有的手表都是同步的 |
[56:05] | ‘I was what is called a first bayonet man, | 我就是第一个刺刀队 |
[56:08] | which meant I carried the rifle with | 这意味着我背着步枪和刺刀 |
[56:09] | the bayonet in the attacking position | 处于进攻位置上 |
[56:11] | and the rest of the men carried bags of bombs.’ | 剩下的人背着炸弹袋 |
[56:16] | ‘And we warned to be ready to advance at any moment. | 我们被警告要随时准备好前进 |
[56:19] | “Any moment” was quite a long time coming. | 随时是一段相当漫长的时间 |
[56:21] | Of course, that added to the tension that we were feeling.’ | 无疑这也让我们觉得更加紧张了 |
[56:24] | Mind the wire! | 小心线 |
[56:26] | ‘My platoon had been told to go out and test the fire. | 我的排被告知要出去试一试火 |
[56:30] | We had to get out and walk towards the enemy. | 我们得走出去走向敌人 |
[56:33] | We went about 200 yards and then they called us back again.’ | 我们行进了200码然后他们叫我们回来 |
[56:37] | ‘There was to be no preliminary bombardment the days beforehand. | 前几天没有任何初步轰炸 |
[56:41] | There was only one short, sharp barrage just before the battle.’ | 在战斗之前只有一次短促剧烈的炮击 |
[56:45] | Fire! | 开火 |
[56:47] | ‘You’ve got to have the artillery | 你得让炮兵准备好 |
[56:49] | preparation to smash their wire down.’ | 去把他们的铁丝砸烂 |
[56:51] | Fire! | 开火 |
[56:53] | ‘I ordered fire on possible enemy | 我下令对敌人可能集结的 |
[56:55] | assembly and forming-up positions.’ | 阵地和阵营开火 |
[56:57] | – ‘The bombardment started…’ – Ready! Fire! | -轰击开始 -准备 开火 |
[57:00] | – ‘..and the ground shook…’ – Fire! | -地动山摇 -开火 |
[57:03] | ‘..and we could see the hundreds and hundreds of gun flashes.’ | 我们看见成百上千的枪弹闪耀着 |
[57:08] | Ready! Fire! | 准备 开火 |
[57:11] | Fire one! | 第一次开火 |
[57:13] | Fire two! Fire three! | 第二次开火 第三次开火 |
[57:15] | Fire four! | 第四次开火 |
[57:20] | ‘As soon as the bombardment started, | 轰炸一开始 |
[57:22] | the Germans’ retaliation came. | 德军的报复就来了 |
[57:27] | For four hours, we had to sit there | 长达四个小时内 我们只能坐在那里 |
[57:29] | and take everything he slung at us.’ | 接受对面抛给我们的一切 |
[57:33] | ‘And, first of all, a large number of tanks went in. | 首先是大量的坦克加入战局 |
[57:36] | We could hear them rumbling and rattling.’ | 我们能听见轰隆轰隆的声音 |
[57:39] | ‘320 tanks crawling along.’ | 320辆坦克正在向我们移动 |
[57:42] | ‘We waited for the signal to move off. | 我们等待着离开的信号 |
[57:45] | Already, everybody was anxious to go, but we waited and waited.’ | 每个人都很渴望离开 但是等了又等 |
[57:52] | ‘We got no sleep that night, owing to | 那天晚上我们没有睡觉 |
[57:54] | the noise of our artillery barrage, | 这都归功于我们的火炮弹幕 |
[57:56] | which was continuous the whole time.’ | 在整个晚上一直持续着 |
[57:59] | ‘We were asked to hand over any personal | 我们被要求把所有的个人物品上交 |
[58:01] | belongings to our company officer, | 给我们的军官 |
[58:03] | such as photographs and letters that we valued.’ | 像是我们珍视的相片和信件等 |
[58:07] | ‘I heard soft voices talking to one another quietly | 我听见和别人轻声说话的声音 |
[58:11] | and I wondered how many were going to live to see the sun rise.’ | 我想着我们之中有多少人能活着见到明天的日出 |
[58:14] | ‘In a man’s pay book, there was | 在工资本上 |
[58:15] | provision for making a valid will, | 有一项条款是订立有效的遗嘱 |
[58:17] | if they were going into action for | 如果他们是第一次参加行动的话 |
[58:19] | the first time, but I didn’t bother. | 不过我不是很在意 |
[58:21] | I had nothing to leave anybody. ‘ | 我没什么可以留给别人的 |
[58:23] | ‘The fellow next to you, he was your best friend. | 你旁边的那个人 是你最好的朋友 |
[58:25] | You loved him. | 你爱他 |
[58:26] | You perhaps didn’t know him the day before | 你可能一天之前或者一小时之前 |
[58:29] | and then an hour to go… | 都还不认识他 |
[58:30] | They were the longest and the shortest hours in life.’ | 那是生命中最长也最短的时间 |
[58:33] | ‘We had unlimited time for thinking | 我们有无限的时间可以思考 |
[58:36] | and I know I found myself thinking much more deeply | 我知道我自己深刻地想了很多 |
[58:39] | than I had ever thought before.’ | 那些我之前从未想过的东西 |
[58:41] | ‘Some people might be incapable of thinking. | 有些人是没有办法思考的 |
[58:44] | They might have regarded the situation as being such that | 他们可能会将情况视作 |
[58:47] | they were incapable of thought.’ | 他们没有能力思考 |
[58:48] | ‘l don’t think there was any fear. | 我认为我们都不恐惧 |
[58:50] | It was just that we were doing a job | 是因为我们只是在工作罢了 |
[58:52] | and if it came, it came.’ | 如果死神真的来了 就来了 |
[58:55] | ‘We realised that, sooner or later, | 我们都意识到 或早或晚 |
[58:57] | we were going to get the chop. | 我们会被砍死的 |
[58:59] | You were either going to be killed or wounded.’ | 你要么被杀要么受伤 |
[59:01] | ‘l was not in the least frightened of being killed, | 我并不是一点也不害怕死亡 |
[59:04] | but I was terrified lest I should lose an arm or a leg.’ | 如果我丢了一条手臂或一只腿会更害怕 |
[59:08] | ‘Waiting for an hour for an attack is not a very pleasant thing. | 为一场袭击等待一个小时不是一件快活的事 |
[59:12] | We sort of chatted away, trying to keep the spirits up, you see. | 我们有时会聊天 尝试使精神振奋 |
[59:16] | We told dirty stories and made crude remarks.’ | 我们说下流故事也骂脏话 |
[59:20] | ‘We had 1,000 guns massed on a mile front behind us. | 在我们身后一英里处 有1000支枪聚集 |
[59:23] | Well, you imagine all this stuff coming over you | 你可以想象所有炮火朝你身上飞来 |
[59:25] | with the German stuff coming the other way.’ | 令一边是德军压境 |
[59:27] | ‘The noise rose to a crescendo such as I’d never heard before.’ | 噪音渐强 上升至前所未有的高度 |
[59:31] | ‘You wouldn’t hear a word.’ | 你一个字都听不见 |
[59:33] | ‘The shells were passing over you probably three foot, four foot, | 炮弹从你身边一米处飞过 |
[59:37] | and the air, it was an inferno and your mind was another inferno. | 空气如同炼狱 而你的心则是另一重炼狱 |
[59:41] | Reason was completely blast out of it.’ | 轰炸之下 理智尽失 |
[59:43] | ‘The bombardment created a sort of hysterical feeling.’ | 轰炸制造出一种歇斯底里的情绪 |
[59:47] | ‘All of a sudden, one of our fellas | 突然之间 一位士兵 |
[59:49] | started crying, screaming and crying. | 开始哭喊 尖叫 哭喊 |
[59:51] | The officer in charge, telling the sergeant, | 掌事的军官告诉中士 |
[59:53] | “Find that man and shoot him! Shoot him!”‘ | “找到那人 一枪崩了他 崩了他” |
[59:56] | ‘It’s difficult to explain the reaction | 你很难解释一个人 |
[59:58] | of a man when he’s in a bombardment.’ | 处于轰炸之中的反应 |
[1:00:01] | ‘He thought that this man’s screaming and crying | 他认为那士兵的尖叫和哭喊声 |
[1:00:04] | would be a danger to the rest of the men.’ | 会给其他人带来危险 |
[1:00:06] | ‘As soon as it was light, we were given a ration of rum, | 敌方火力一减弱 我们就领到了配给的朗姆酒 |
[1:00:09] | any amount of it, as much as you could drink.’ | 不限量 你能喝多少就喝多少 |
[1:00:12] | ‘And we got the order to fix bayonets.’ | 然后我们接到了加固刺刀的命令 |
[1:00:14] | – Fix bayonets! – Bayonets fixed! | -加固刺刀 -刺刀已加固 |
[1:00:17] | ‘It was a beautiful day the way it dawned after a rainy night. | 那是美丽的一天 尤其是雨夜过后的黎明 |
[1:00:21] | A beautiful day.’ | 美丽的一天 |
[1:00:23] | ‘Then, five minutes to go, | 然后 就在出发前五分钟 |
[1:00:24] | I remember those lads standing there. | 我想起了那些站在那里的小伙子们 |
[1:00:26] | Dead silent, couldn’t make a noise.’ | 一片死寂 发不出一点声音了 |
[1:00:28] | ‘I was more frightened sitting waiting to start. | 坐在那儿等待出发更让我害怕 |
[1:00:31] | I was very frightened then. Very frightened indeed.’ | 我那时非常害怕 真的非常害怕 |
[1:00:34] | ‘And an officer shouted along the line, “ls everybody ready?” | 一位军官冲着队伍大喊 “都准备好了吗” |
[1:00:38] | And I called out, “I can’t get my bayonet on my rifle, sir!” | 于是我喊道 “我的刺刀装不上步枪了 长官” |
[1:00:41] | He said, “Damn you, mate! Well, hurry up!”‘ | 他说 “该死 你这家伙 快点” |
[1:00:43] | ‘I sent back a message to brigade headquarters | 我给旅部送回消息 |
[1:00:45] | to say we were all ready, | 说我们都准备好了 |
[1:00:47] | but, unfortunately, a slight mistake occurred. | 但不幸的是 出了一点小问题 |
[1:00:49] | The first thing they knew was this terrific tremor in the ground. | 他们最先感受到的是从地面传来的可怕震颤 |
[1:00:52] | We blew a mine which should’ve been | 我们炸掉了本应位于德军战壕下方 |
[1:00:54] | under the German trenches, but wasn’t. | 却并不在那的一个矿井 |
[1:00:59] | It was in no-man’s-land and that gave the Germans five minutes | 矿井在无人区 这给了德军五分钟的时间 |
[1:01:03] | to occupy the crater, which they did.’ | 来占领爆炸产生的深坑 他们的确这么做了 |
[1:01:08] | ‘Sergeant Moore, he was standing behind the trench. | 穆尔中士 他当时站在战壕后面 |
[1:01:11] | He’d got a revolver in his hand, he said, | 手上拿着一把左轮手枪 说道 |
[1:01:13] | “Anybody going back, I’ll shoot ’em!” | “谁敢后退 我就崩了他” |
[1:01:15] | So that, if we didn’t go one way, we wouldn’t go the other.’ | 也就是说 如果不向前冲 我们也回不去了 |
[1:01:18] | ‘There wasn’t a reluctance to go over the top, | 我们翻身越过战壕 没有一丝不情愿 |
[1:01:21] | not with people I was with.’ | 我身边的人都没有 |
[1:01:22] | Fire! | 开炮 |
[1:01:26] | – Fire! – ‘They put a curtain of shells over you | -开炮 -他们用火力掩护你 |
[1:01:29] | and you advance. | 而你向前进 |
[1:01:30] | – That was the theory of the thing.’ – Fire! | -仗就是这么打的 -开炮 |
[1:01:34] | – Fire! – ‘l realised that this was the moment | -开炮 -我意识到这就是 |
[1:01:37] | of the assault.’ | 进攻的时刻 |
[1:01:38] | ‘And then zero hour.’ ‘Somebody shouted, “There they go!” | 关键时刻 有人大喊 “他们上了” |
[1:01:41] | To the left were the London Scottish running forward.’ | 我向左边看去 伦敦的苏格兰人冲上前了 |
[1:01:45] | ‘I gave the order of, “Up the ladders! Over the top!”‘ | 我下了命令 “架梯子 翻过山顶” |
[1:01:52] | ‘And after this, we lived in a world of noise. | 在那之后 我们的周围就全是噪音了 |
[1:01:54] | Simply noise for hours.’ | 几个小时里只有噪音 |
[1:02:00] | ‘As soon as you get over the top, fear has left you.’ | 你一”翻过山顶” 恐惧就离你而去了 |
[1:02:02] | ‘We didn’t run. There was no shouting, nor cheering. | 我们没有奔跑 没有喊叫声 没有欢呼声 |
[1:02:06] | Everybody was deadly quiet.’ | 所有人都是一片死寂 |
[1:02:07] | ‘Just as I stepped into no-man’s-land, | 就在我踏入无人区时 |
[1:02:10] | somebody was shot through the head and his skull was splintered. | 有个人头部中枪了 他的头骨碎裂开来 |
[1:02:14] | It wasn’t a good send-off, I can assure you.’ | 相信我 那可不是什么好的退场方式 |
[1:02:17] | ‘The barrage proceeded into the enemy lines | 弹幕进入了敌线 |
[1:02:20] | – in steps of 100 yards at a time.’ – Fire! | -每次前进不到100米 -开炮 |
[1:02:26] | ‘The line of British troops, fixed bayonets, | 英国军队和拿着刺刀的士兵组成的队伍 |
[1:02:29] | walking quite steadily behind the barrage. | 镇定地走在弹幕后方 |
[1:02:31] | It was a sight I shall never forget.’ | 那是我永远不会忘记的一幕 |
[1:02:33] | ‘To start with, we’d had the odd machine-gun firing, | 一开始 只有零散几台机关枪对我们开火 |
[1:02:36] | but remarkably little, and it seemed almost too good to be true. | 不过火力太小 情况似乎有点好得不真实 |
[1:02:40] | ‘And we then realised the Germans had been retaining their fire | 然后我们才意识到德军一直在保留火力 |
[1:02:44] | until they saw how far the attack was developing.’ | 直到他们看见进攻开展到了什么程度 |
[1:02:47] | ‘Unknown to us, | 而我们不知道的是 |
[1:02:48] | there was ten to 20 German machine guns.’ | 他们其实有十到二十台德国机关枪 |
[1:02:50] | ‘Then all hell broke loose.’ | 于是地狱之门轰然打开了 |
[1:02:53] | ‘And, my God, he really opened up and he let us have it. | 老天 他打开了地狱之门 把我们送了进去 |
[1:02:56] | It just swept us.’ | 将我们一扫而空 |
[1:03:00] | Keep back! Keep back! | 退后 退后 |
[1:03:03] | Keep moving, laddie! | 快走 小伙子 |
[1:03:15] | ‘Machine-gun bullets came at us like hailstones.’ | 机关枪子弹像冰雹一样向我们砸来 |
[1:03:18] | ‘I didn’t realise that the swish-swish were bullets.’ | 我都没有意识到那唰唰的声音来自子弹 |
[1:03:22] | ‘l looked round and people were dropping all round you. | 我环顾四周 人们在你前后左右倒下 |
[1:03:25] | I mean, they just faded away, you know, on either side of you.’ | 我是说 他们就那么消逝了 从你身边 |
[1:03:28] | ‘And I thought, “What are they shooting at me for?” ‘ | 然后我想 “他们为什么要朝我开枪” |
[1:03:32] | ‘I hadn’t gone more than a few yards | 在子弹打中我的大腿时 |
[1:03:33] | before I was shot in the thigh.’ | 我还没前进几米 |
[1:03:35] | ‘There was a captain alongside me with his revolver out | 我身边有一位上尉拿着他的左轮手枪 |
[1:03:38] | and, all of a sudden, he dropped. | 突然之间 他就倒下了 |
[1:03:39] | And then another chap, he was hit in the leg, | 然后另一个小伙子腿部中弹了 |
[1:03:42] | but he continued with great bounds, hopping on one leg.’ | 但他弹跳力很好 继续单脚蹦跳着前进 |
[1:03:45] | ‘When the bullets hit the tank, | 子弹击中坦克时 |
[1:03:48] | the metal flakes were whirring around | 金属碎片四处飞溅 |
[1:03:50] | like razor blades inside the tank.’ | 像是从坦克里飞出的刀片 |
[1:03:52] | ‘You could see men dropping, but you didn’t take any notice. | 你看见人们倒下 但你没有理会 |
[1:03:55] | If you didn’t get hit, you just carried on.’ | 只要你没中弹 你就得继续前行 |
[1:03:57] | ‘l found myself with a terrible pain in my left hand | 我醒来时感觉左手疼得厉害 |
[1:04:00] | as if somebody had caned me and I found a big hole in it.’ | 像是被鞭打一样 然后我发现手上有个大洞 |
[1:04:02] | ‘A man was running across the front of me | 一个士兵冲到了我前面 |
[1:04:05] | and he was shot through the body | 子弹射穿了他的身体 |
[1:04:07] | because the contents of his wallet were flung out forward of me.’ | 他钱包里的东西朝我飞来 |
[1:04:10] | ‘I felt a terrific pain in my right arm | 剧痛从我的右臂传来 |
[1:04:13] | and the blood started running off the end of my hand.’ | 随之鲜血从我的指尖流淌而下 |
[1:04:16] | ‘I just didn’t think that this German machine-gunner would trouble to fire at me | 我没想到德军的机枪手会费心向我开枪 |
[1:04:20] | but, the next thing, I felt a shock of quite a number of bullets | 但下一个瞬间 我感受到了强烈的冲击 |
[1:04:23] | hitting the right side of my body.’ | 那是不少子弹击中了我的右半边身体 |
[1:04:25] | ‘A hare crossed my path with eyes bulging, in fear, | 一只野兔从我面前窜过 眼球因恐惧而凸起 |
[1:04:29] | but I felt that it couldn’t have been | 但我觉得它的恐惧 |
[1:04:31] | half as frightened as I was.’ | 还没有我的一半多 |
[1:04:32] | ‘You could see your mates going down right and left. | 你眼睁睁地看着同伴们在你身边倒下 |
[1:04:35] | You were face-to-face with the stark realisation that | 你直面赤裸裸的残酷真相 那便是 |
[1:04:38] | this is the end of it.’ | 此刻即为末日 |
[1:04:39] | ‘The two in front of me went down, | 我前面的两名士兵倒下了 |
[1:04:41] | wounded in the head and chest.’ | 分别是头部和胸部负伤 |
[1:04:43] | ‘These bloody bullets got me in the leg | 这些该死的子弹打中了我的腿 |
[1:04:44] | and blew a great big hole at the back. | 还在我背上炸出了一个洞 |
[1:04:46] | It didn’t hurt.’ | 我都没感觉到疼 |
[1:04:47] | ‘Well, life was very, very hazardous indeed | 当时想要生存 风险的确非常非常大 |
[1:04:48] | 《战争图解》 1915年11月13日 英格兰的无人家园 | |
[1:04:50] | and we proceeded in this fashion, | 我们是这么做的 |
[1:04:52] | some getting hit and others carrying along.’ | 如果有人中弹了 其他人就带着他一起走 |
[1:04:54] | ‘You hadn’t got time to deliberate upon things. | 你没时间去思考什么 |
[1:04:57] | Machine-gun bullets might be coming over, | 机枪子弹向你扑面而来 |
[1:04:59] | but they weren’t hitting you, and you just go on.’ | 但如果没打中你 你就得继续前进 |
[1:05:01] | ‘They say your past comes up | 他们说当你以为自己要死了的时候 |
[1:05:04] | when you think you were gonna die, | 过去的记忆会像潮水般涌上心头 |
[1:05:05] | but I hadn’t got very much past at 19. | 但我十九岁时并没有太多过去 |
[1:05:08] | When I saw these bullets coming along, | 当我看到子弹向我飞来 |
[1:05:10] | all I thought was, “Am I gonna live?”‘ | 我满脑子想的都是 “我能活下来吗” |
[1:05:12] | ‘Of course, if the thing hits you fair and square | 当然了 如果那玩意儿精准无误地命中要害 |
[1:05:15] | and you die immediately, | 你会瞬间死去 |
[1:05:16] | you don’t feel anything at all, nothing to it.’ | 你什么都感受不到 毫无痛苦 |
[1:05:19] | ‘The first wave were all absolutely wiped out. | 第一波攻势全军覆没 |
[1:05:22] | Everybody was either killed or wounded.’ | 士兵们伤亡惨重 |
[1:05:24] | ‘There were so many dead laying about, | 尸横遍野 |
[1:05:26] | it was hard to avoid treading on them.’ | 很难不踩到他们身上 |
[1:05:28] | ‘I was trying to step over them. The sergeant behind me said, | 我试着跨过他们的身体 我后面的中士说 |
[1:05:31] | “Go on! You mustn’t take any notice of that. You keep going!”‘ | “快点 别管那个了 继续走” |
[1:05:35] | ‘And we were literally walking over the dead bodies of our cobbers. | 于是我们只得无视战友的遗体 |
[1:05:38] | The carnage is just indescribable.’ | 这场屠杀简直无法言说 |
[1:05:42] | ‘I had in my path about 2,000 dead, British and German. | 一路上大概有两千名死者 英军和德军都有 |
[1:05:45] | An attempt to clear any dead man from our path was impossible | 由于持续的炮轰 想要把尸体从路上挪开 |
[1:05:49] | because of the shelling and we ploughed over the lot.’ | 是不可能的 为此我们艰难地尝试了多次 |
[1:05:53] | ‘Any shell bursting within a few yards of the tank | 炮弹的爆裂似乎能将几米外的坦克 |
[1:05:56] | seemed to lift it up in the air | 掀到半空中去 |
[1:05:58] | and you felt a tremendous back pressure.’ | 你能感受到惊人的背压 |
[1:06:02] | ‘The noise of the battle when you’re out in the middle of it | 当你身处战场之中 战斗的噪音震耳欲聋 |
[1:06:05] | is so terrific that you don’t hear any individual shots even.’ | 以至于你无法听清任何单独的枪炮声 |
[1:06:08] | ‘And we had to stop in front of the German wire.’ | 我们只能在德军的铁丝网前停下了 |
[1:06:11] | ‘It was quite impossible to advance any further | 我们无法再往前走了 |
[1:06:13] | because of the barbed wire and the machine-gun posts, | 锋利的铁丝网张牙舞爪 而机关枪桩 |
[1:06:16] | which were about 50 yards further on.’ | 离我们只有不到五十米远 |
[1:06:18] | ‘The wire in front of us was quite uncut, | 尽管炮火猛烈 |
[1:06:21] | despite the intense bombardments.’ | 我们还是注意到了前方的铁丝网没有剪开 |
[1:06:23] | ‘You couldn’t see anything but this wire, | 除了面前的铁丝网 你什么都看不见了 |
[1:06:25] | it seemed to be acres and acres of it.’ | 它似乎绵延数公顷 没有尽头 |
[1:06:27] | ‘It was just black with rust | 黑色的铁丝网布满铁锈 |
[1:06:29] | and I don’t think a rabbit could have got through it.’ | 我感觉连一只兔子都钻不过去 |
[1:06:32] | ‘Then, our own artillery started dropping shells amongst us.’ | 紧接着 我们的炮兵开始朝自己人开炮了 |
[1:06:42] | ‘Obviously, they hadn’t got the range, | 很显然 他们不清楚射程 |
[1:06:44] | or they didn’t know where we were.’ | 也有可能是他们不知道我们在哪 |
[1:06:46] | ‘l heard the first shrapnel shell burst above my head.’ | 我听见第一枚炮弹在我上方爆炸了 |
[1:06:49] | ‘There was a terrific whiz.’ | 弹片的啸叫声震耳欲聋 |
[1:06:51] | ‘That was the disappearance of my steel helmet. | 我的钢盔就是那时不见的 |
[1:06:54] | I never found it again.’ | 我再也没找到它 |
[1:06:56] | ‘I got a bit off the cheek of my backside, a piece in my hip, | 一小块弹片击中了我的后脸颊 一片击中臀部 |
[1:06:59] | a piece in my leg, and a piece right through my leg.’ | 一片击中腿部 一片正好贯穿了腿部 |
[1:07:03] | ‘The fellow to my left took the full blast of the shell | 我左边的兄弟被炮弹打了个正着 |
[1:07:05] | and had half his head blown away.’ | 削掉了半个脑袋 |
[1:07:07] | ‘Bullets were catching us and shrapnel was coming down overhead | 子弹随时会夺走我们的性命 弹片从天而降 |
[1:07:11] | and we had all the German artillery banging away at us | 德军的炮兵部队向我们不断开火 |
[1:07:14] | and our own artillery going over.’ | 然后我们的部队再一次次反击 |
[1:07:16] | ‘The shells were exploding all round you | 炮弹在你四周爆炸 |
[1:07:19] | and it was a real, good, old battle | 这是一场真实 浩大 原始的战争 |
[1:07:21] | and it got hold of you, sort of.’ | 而且它从某种程度上来说 它攥住了你的灵魂 |
[1:07:23] | ‘One had no sanity at all | 那时没人能保持理智 |
[1:07:25] | because the inferno was so blasting | 因为那炼狱太过震撼 |
[1:07:27] | that you had no time to think.’ | 以至于你没时间思考 |
[1:07:30] | ‘That din, that numbing din | 那喧闹声 那使人麻木的喧闹声 |
[1:07:32] | seemed to stop one doing the things that one would normally do, | 似乎会阻止一个人行使本能 |
[1:07:36] | no matter how well-intentioned one was.’ | 无论这个人以前是多么善良 |
[1:07:40] | ‘You don’t look, you see. | 你不用去看 就已经明白了一切 |
[1:07:42] | You don’t hear, you listen. | 你什么都听不见 只能听天由命 |
[1:07:43] | You taste the top of your mouth. | 你尝到了口腔上颚的味道 |
[1:07:45] | Your nose is filled with fumes and death. | 鼻腔里充斥着烟雾和死亡的气息 |
[1:07:47] | The veneer of civilisation has dropped away.’ | 人类文明的伪装已经消失殆尽了 |
[1:07:51] | ‘I was literally blown about 12 or 14 yards | 我被炸弹的气浪掀到了十几米开外 |
[1:07:54] | and all that I could hear was the cries and screams from the survivors, | 我所能听到的只有幸存者的哭喊和尖叫 |
[1:07:57] | sometimes in two, sometimes in three parts. | 断断续续 支离破碎 |
[1:08:00] | Legs, arms, all strewn over the place | 残肢断臂 四下散落 |
[1:08:02] | and that arid smell of explosion.’ | 爆炸带来的死亡气息四下弥漫 |
[1:08:05] | ‘Well, all my romantic ideas of war completely vanished.’ | 我那些关于战争的血色浪漫主义全消失了 |
[1:08:10] | ‘A shell had hit this man, it knocked off his left arm, | 炮弹击中了一名士兵 炸掉了他的左臂 |
[1:08:13] | knocked off his left leg, his left eye was hanging on his cheek | 炸掉了他的左腿 他的左眼珠挂在脸颊上 |
[1:08:17] | and he’s calling out for Nanny. | 而他呼喊着他的奶奶 |
[1:08:19] | His bleeding eye was hanging on, pulsing. | 他那流着血的眼睛死死不合上 还在跳动着 |
[1:08:24] | So I shot him. | 于是我给了他一枪 |
[1:08:26] | I had to. I had to shoot him. | 我必须这么做 我不得不开枪 |
[1:08:28] | He’d have died in any case and it put him out of his misery. | 他无论如何都会死 这一枪会了结他的痛苦 |
[1:08:32] | And that hurt me.’ | 而这让我很痛苦 |
[1:08:36] | ‘I knew there was no hope of getting any orders | 我知道我们不可能再接到命令了 |
[1:08:38] | cos there was nobody to give any.’ | 因为已经没人来发号施令了 |
[1:08:40] | ‘All officers were killed and wounded and most of the NCOs.’ | 所有的军官非死即伤 大多数军士也是 |
[1:08:44] | ‘I jumped into this big shell hole.’ | 我跳进了一个大弹坑里 |
[1:08:46] | ‘You dropped down anywhere, shell holes, anywhere at all | 你得找地方趴下 弹坑 什么地方都行 |
[1:08:49] | just to take cover until the barrage lifted.’ | 你得找个掩体 直到弹幕解除 |
[1:08:52] | ‘I’m not one of those heroes who want | 我不是那种想要 |
[1:08:54] | to take the German Army on my own, | 独自攻打德军的人 |
[1:08:55] | so I went to earth and I got down | 所以我趴到地上 |
[1:08:57] | behind the lip of a big shell hole.’ | 躲在一个大弹孔的边缘后面 |
[1:08:59] | ‘Fortunately, I was able to drop into a shell hole.’ | 幸运的是 我能掉进一个弹孔里 |
[1:09:02] | ‘We used to call them shell-hole droppers, | 我们以前叫它们弹孔幸存者 |
[1:09:06] | they would drop down into a shell hole because of the barrage | 他们会因为火力网掉到弹孔里 |
[1:09:08] | and seeing a few of the men killed.’ | 看着几个战友被杀害 |
[1:09:10] | ‘It’s a pity they didn’t all drop into shell holes. | 很遗憾 他们没有在火力网架起前 |
[1:09:12] | Before the barrage lifted, they were dead.’ | 全部掉进弹孔里 他们都死了 |
[1:09:15] | ‘And the bullets were hitting | 子弹击中了 |
[1:09:17] | the back of the shell hole where I was. | 我所在的弹孔后面 |
[1:09:19] | It was raining bullets. I don’t know how I got missed.’ | 当时火力密集 我不知道我怎么活下来的 |
[1:09:22] | ‘From behind the lip of this shell hole, | 从这个弹孔的边缘后面 |
[1:09:25] | the dirt was spraying down the back of my neck.’ | 泥土从我脖子后面喷下来 |
[1:09:28] | ‘There were three chaps in the shell hole and one of them said, | 弹孔里有三个人 其中一个说 |
[1:09:31] | “They’re firing at your bloody shovel!” | 他们在向你那该死的铲子开火 |
[1:09:33] | We looked round to see a bullet go right through his head. | 我们环顾四周 看到一颗子弹穿过他的脑袋 |
[1:09:36] | So that was the end of that.’ ‘A sergeant came down | 就这样结束了 一个中士倒下了 |
[1:09:38] | into the shell hole on top of us, he was dead, | 在我们上面的弹孔里 他死了 |
[1:09:40] | he’d got it through the neck. | 子弹穿过了他的脖子 |
[1:09:42] | Anyway, he had a lovely pair of field glasses round his neck | 他脖子上始终戴着一副漂亮的望远镜 |
[1:09:45] | and I nabbed them, because things were so scarce, | 我拿走了望远镜 因为物资太少了 |
[1:09:48] | if there was anything like that, you’d collar it.’ | 如果真有这样的东西 你会拿走它的 |
[1:09:50] | ‘Jerry slapped shell after shell into us | 德国佬一个接一个地打我们 |
[1:09:53] | until one shell penetrated the forward part of the tank. | 直到一枚炮弹穿透坦克的前部 |
[1:09:57] | What happened then, I cannot tell you, | 后来发生了什么 我不能告诉你 |
[1:09:59] | but I believe there was an explosion.’ | 但我相信当时发生了爆炸 |
[1:10:01] | ‘We were fully-trained soldiers, | 我们都是训练有素的士兵 |
[1:10:04] | we always had the rifles loaded, | 我们总是拿着步枪 |
[1:10:04] | but we stuck in the extra five rounds | 但我们在额外的五轮进攻中 |
[1:10:07] | to make it a ten for rapid-fire.’ | 因为快速射击把它变得像十轮一样 |
[1:10:09] | ‘The Germans got up in their own trenches and fired at us. | 德国人在自己的战壕里向我们开火 |
[1:10:12] | In my opinion, they were very brave, | 在我看来 他们的确是非常勇敢 |
[1:10:14] | very brave men indeed.’ | 非常勇敢的人 |
[1:10:15] | ‘There was a German standing up | 有个德国人从护墙上站了起来 |
[1:10:17] | on his parapet and flinging bombs, | 投掷炸弹 |
[1:10:19] | so I shot him.’ | 所以我开枪打死了他 |
[1:10:21] | ‘The officer gave us orders, “Open immediate rapid-fire!” | 军官命令我们 立即开火 |
[1:10:25] | We all opened up as fast as we could go, continually firing. | 我们都以最快的速度开火 不断开火 |
[1:10:28] | It was a real mad minute, I’ll tell you.’ | 我告诉你 那真是疯狂的一分钟 |
[1:10:30] | ‘They stood up and I was picking | 他们站起来 我在挑选目标 |
[1:10:32] | the Germans off because I was a sniper.’ | 击杀德国人因为我是狙击手 |
[1:10:35] | ‘I was trying to pick the shot and something hit me | 我当时准备开枪 结果有东西击中了我 |
[1:10:38] | between the eyes like a Sledgehammer. | 双眼之间 就像一把大锤 |
[1:10:41] | I dissolved into unconsciousness with no pain, | 我消失在无意识中 没有痛苦 |
[1:10:43] | but with millions of golden stars in a dark-blue heaven.’ | 但是在深蓝的天空中有着数百万颗金色的星星 |
[1:10:47] | ‘After I’d used up a whole lot of bullets, | 在我用完了很多子弹之后 |
[1:10:50] | I got down, I says, “You have a go, Bill.” | 我趴下来了 说 比尔 你去吧 |
[1:10:52] | He didn’t even fire a shot, he was killed immediately. | 他连一枪都没开 就被杀了 |
[1:10:55] | That’s how things were. | 事情就是这样的 |
[1:10:57] | You felt grief, it was a pal of yours, | 你感到悲伤 他是你的朋友 |
[1:11:00] | but you took it casually because | 但你不经意间接受了 因为 |
[1:11:02] | I suppose you become battle-hardened.’ | 你已经变得很坚强了 |
[1:11:04] | ‘We kept up rapid-fire there | 只要我们的步枪能用 |
[1:11:06] | as long as our rifles would work. | 我们就在那里保持快速射击 |
[1:11:07] | They got too hot to fire any more.’ ‘Fat was pouring out | 枪管太热了 不能再开火了 润滑油 |
[1:11:10] | the woodwork of the rifles. | 从步枪的木制部分流出来了 |
[1:11:12] | The muzzles were beginning to extend.’ | 枪口开始逐渐裂开 |
[1:11:14] | ‘Then we got an order from the captain: | 然后我们接到队长的命令 |
[1:11:16] | We must make a barricade of the dead | 我们必须把死人围起来 |
[1:11:18] | the German dead and our own dead.’ | 德国的和我们自己的 |
[1:11:21] | ‘My captain, at that time, was anxious to go on and keep it up, | 当时我的队长急于继续开火 |
[1:11:24] | but I’m afraid he died.’ | 但我想他死了 |
[1:11:27] | ‘I had three men loading up rifle | 我有三个人在给步枪装 |
[1:11:29] | grenades and I peppered the whole line. | 榴弹 整条战线不停开火 |
[1:11:31] | Judging by the shouts and the screams, | 从叫喊声和尖叫声来看 |
[1:11:33] | I’d taken a very good toll.’ | 我付出了很大代价 |
[1:11:34] | ‘There was a machine gun spraying on the lip of our shell hole. | 有一把机枪在我们弹孔的边缘扫射 |
[1:11:38] | I waited until the belt of that gun had fired | 我一直等到那把枪弹带用完后 |
[1:11:41] | and immediately carried on the advance.’ | 才立即继续前进 |
[1:11:44] | ‘The sergeant, he says, “Follow me.”‘ | 他说 中士 跟我来 |
[1:11:46] | ‘I had managed to crawl under the wire, | 我设法爬到铁丝网下面 |
[1:11:48] | a lot of us got through in that way, | 我们很多人都是这样过去的 |
[1:11:50] | and gathered together on the German side of the wire.’ | 聚集在铁丝网的德国一侧 |
[1:11:54] | ‘All the shells screamed over our heads | 所有的炮弹都在我们头上咆哮 |
[1:11:56] | onto the German posts and stopped. | 打到德国哨所然后停下 |
[1:11:58] | “Come on, lads, give them hell!” | 来吧 小伙子们 让他们下地狱吧 |
[1:12:00] | And we just got up and rushed forward.’ | 我们站起来冲上前去 |
[1:12:03] | ‘In the bayonet charge, the majority of us always had | 在刺刀猛攻中 我们大多数人总是 |
[1:12:06] | a round up the spout, besides the magazine.’ | 围攻歼灭 然后是弹药库 |
[1:12:09] | ‘There was an exultation that with | 有一种欢喜是 |
[1:12:10] | a rifle, bayonet and Mills bombs, | 步枪 刺刀和米尔斯炸弹 |
[1:12:12] | we were going to be able to get stuck into the bastards | 我们会冲进这群杀了我们同伴的混蛋中去 |
[1:12:15] | that had been killing our mates.’ ‘And we went like hell, | 然后把他们送进地狱 |
[1:12:18] | straight into the Germans.’ | 直接攻入德国 |
[1:12:27] | ‘And we fired at anything that moved.’ | 我们向任何会动的物体开火 |
[1:12:30] | ‘I dropped down to my knees | 我膝盖跪地 |
[1:12:32] | and the sergeant fired over my shoulder and hit the German. | 中士从我肩上开枪打德国人 |
[1:12:35] | He was on the ground but still firing, | 他倒在地上但仍在开火 |
[1:12:37] | so he went up and killed him.’ | 他就上去杀了他 |
[1:12:39] | ‘There was only one method of bayonet fighting: | 刺刀格斗只有一种方法 |
[1:12:41] | to shove your bayonet in as hard as you could.’ | 把你的刺刀尽可能用力地插进敌人身体 |
[1:12:43] | ‘There was this German on the floor of the trench, | 在战壕的里有个德国人 |
[1:12:46] | the poor bugger was dead scared. | 可怜的家伙吓死了 |
[1:12:47] | While I’m wondering whether to stick him or shoot him, | 当我在想是要捅死他还是要枪杀他时 |
[1:12:50] | a German jumped out away to my left, | 一个德国人从我左边跳出来 |
[1:12:52] | another one on the right, | 另一个从右边出来 |
[1:12:54] | so I pinned this German down, | 所以我把这个德国人按倒 |
[1:12:56] | then shot the German on the left. | 然后朝左边的德国人开枪 |
[1:12:58] | I put another one up the spout and | 我放倒了另一个 |
[1:12:59] | shot the German running on the right.’ | 射中了从右边跑来的德国人 |
[1:13:02] | ‘Quite a number of Germans came in | 不少德国人进来了 |
[1:13:04] | a rush and we shot them, one by one. | 我们一个接一个地向他们开枪 |
[1:13:06] | We probably killed the lot.’ | 我们可能杀了不少德国人 |
[1:13:07] | ‘Some chap said, “Poor old Dick got it,” | 有人说 可怜的老家伙明白了 |
[1:13:10] | and I looked around and saw him lying | 我环顾四周看到他在撒谎 |
[1:13:12] | with the top of his head off.’ | 把他的头抬起来 |
[1:13:14] | ‘On our right flank came a German with a canister on his back, | 在我们的右翼 一个德国人背着一个罐子 |
[1:13:17] | squirting this liquid fire out of the hose.’ | 火焰从罐子里喷出 |
[1:13:20] | ‘I looked towards jets of flame coming across the trench. | 我看着穿过战壕的火焰 |
[1:13:23] | We’d never heard of flame-throwers.’ | 我们从没听说过火焰喷射器 |
[1:13:25] | ‘Burnt 23 of our chaps to death. | 他烧死了23个小伙子 |
[1:13:27] | I plonked one into his chest, | 我一下子捅进他的胸膛 |
[1:13:28] | but we didn’t stop him, he must have had | 但我们没有阻止他 他一定是 |
[1:13:30] | an armour-plated waistcoat on.’ | 穿着一件防弹背心 |
[1:13:32] | ‘I got a bang in the arm and found I was bleeding. | 我手臂砰的一声 发现自己在流血 |
[1:13:35] | I could bomb pretty well with | 我可以用炸弹 |
[1:13:36] | my left arm as I could with my right.’ | 我的左臂和右臂尽量配合 |
[1:13:39] | ‘Somebody threw a Mills bomb and | 有人扔了一枚米尔斯炸弹 |
[1:13:40] | it burst behind him. | 炸弹在他身后爆炸了 |
[1:13:41] | He wasn’t armour-plated behind, he went down.’ | 他没有穿钢甲 倒了下去 |
[1:13:44] | ‘One German came running out of this trench, | 一个德国人从壕沟里跑出来 |
[1:13:46] | screaming his head off, he nearly knocked me over.’ | 疯狂地尖叫 差点把我撞倒 |
[1:13:49] | ‘Three Germans came out with their hands up | 三个德国人举起手来 |
[1:13:52] | and they were young chaps about our own age, | 他们都是和我们年龄相仿的年轻小伙子 |
[1:13:55] | about 19 or 20.’ | 大约十九或二十岁 |
[1:13:56] | ‘If Jerries came up with their hands up, we just waved them on, | 如果德国佬举起手来 我们就挥挥手 |
[1:14:00] | we didn’t fire at them, obviously.’ | 显然 我们没有向他们开火 |
[1:14:03] | ‘Prisoners were a nuisance! | 囚犯真讨厌 |
[1:14:04] | We were shooing them back, you know, get rid of them.’ | 我们把他们赶回去 是的 把他们赶走 |
[1:14:07] | ‘The only Germans we were really | 和我们真正战斗的德国人 |
[1:14:09] | fighting were the machine-gunners.’ | 是那些机枪手 |
[1:14:11] | ‘They were firing belt after belt at us | 他们一个接一个地向我们开火 |
[1:14:13] | and they never stopped firing. | 他们从未停止射击 |
[1:14:15] | The bloody cartridge cases were piled up in a heap.’ | 血淋淋的弹壳堆成一堆 |
[1:14:18] | ‘They’d got all their best men on machine guns | 他们最出色的都是机枪手 |
[1:14:20] | and they fought to their deaths.’ | 他们奋战至死 |
[1:14:22] | It popped open, there was three Jerries there | 它突然打开 那里有三个德国佬 |
[1:14:25] | in front of the machine gun | 在机关枪前 |
[1:14:26] | and the bloody gun was pointing at me, | 那该死的枪指着我 |
[1:14:28] | and I just swung the Lewis gun and I opened fire first. | 我挥动路易斯枪 我先开了枪 |
[1:14:32] | It was split-second stuff. | 那是一个瞬间的事情 |
[1:14:34] | Thankfully, I moved on.’ | 谢天谢地 我活下来了 |
[1:14:36] | ‘As the war progressed, it was inevitable that | 随着战争的发展 不可避免的是 |
[1:14:39] | we developed the animal characteristic of killing.’ | 我们展现出了以杀戮的动物本能 |
[1:14:42] | ‘Well, we’d got some young Lincolnshire lads, | 我们有一些林肯郡的年轻小伙子 |
[1:14:45] | the 18-year-olds. | 18岁的小伙子 |
[1:14:46] | Machine-gunners were putting their hands up. | 机枪手已经举起手来 |
[1:14:48] | It didn’t make a difference. They were killed.’ | 但是并没有什么用 他们还是被杀了 |
[1:14:53] | ‘I’m afraid there was a little bit of slaughter going on, | 我害怕这种杀戮一直持续下去 |
[1:14:56] | until we got in some sort of order.’ | 直到我们有了某种秩序 |
[1:14:57] | ‘Everybody was screaming, laying down, moaning and groaning | 每个人都在尖叫 躺下 呻吟 呻吟 |
[1:15:02] | and eventually there was silence.’ | 最后他们还是沉默了 |
[1:15:05] | ‘I found a German officer with his lung hanging out. | 我发现一个德国军官的肺在外面 |
[1:15:08] | He was still alive, but he wasn’t conscious. | 他还活着 但他没有意识到 |
[1:15:10] | You could see his lung was expanding | 你可以看到他的肺在呼吸时 |
[1:15:12] | and contracting as he was breathing. | 扩张和收缩 |
[1:15:14] | It was the nearest I came to ever shooting a man point-blank, | 这是我最近一次直接射杀一个人 |
[1:15:17] | but we had to go on.’ | 但我们必须继续 |
[1:15:20] | ‘One dead German leaning against a shell wall. | 一个死掉的德国人靠在贝弹壳墙上 |
[1:15:22] | He was a handsome bloke, he reminded me of my father. | 他是个英俊的小伙子 让我想起了我的父亲 |
[1:15:25] | A shell had dissected him nicely | 一颗子弹把他解剖得很好 |
[1:15:28] | and it had taken the whole of the front | 它贯穿了整个身体前部 |
[1:15:30] | of his chest down to his stomach, | 从胸部到腹部 |
[1:15:32] | neatly cut aside. | 整齐地切割成两半 |
[1:15:34] | What a fantastic exhibition of anatomy.’ | 多么精彩的解剖学展览啊 |
[1:15:39] | ‘The real shooting was over in about ten minutes.’ | 真正的枪击大约十分钟后就结束了 |
[1:15:42] | ‘There was about 100 of us coming | 我们六百人过来 只有一百人 |
[1:15:44] | out, instead of 600 who’d gone over, | 或者出去了 |
[1:15:46] | and a band came to meet us. | 一个乐队来接我们 |
[1:15:48] | It was a wonderful feeling. | 感觉真好 |
[1:15:50] | I’ve been in a battle! And I’m so very proud about it.’ | 我一直在战斗 我为此感到非常自豪 |
[1:15:54] | Hang on! | 坚持 |
[1:15:58] | – You got it? – Yeah. | -你明白了吗 -是的 |
[1:16:00] | ‘And if you’d anybody wounded or killed, | 如果有人受伤或被杀 |
[1:16:04] | if you didn’t get ’em out straightaway, | 如果你不马上把他们弄出来 |
[1:16:07] | they went down in the soil and disappeared, it was so bad.’ | 他们会掉进土里然后消失 太糟糕了 |
[1:16:11] | That’s it. | 就这样 |
[1:16:14] | ‘Well, you had to ascertain whether a man was alive or not. | 你得确定一个人是否还活着 |
[1:16:18] | If he was dead, then he was no trouble, | 如果他死了 从医学上讲 |
[1:16:22] | medically.’ | 他就没什么问题了 |
[1:16:24] | Buzzing ‘l can’t put that any clearer.’ | 我说得不能更清楚了 |
[1:16:27] | Keep him level! | 让他保持水平 |
[1:16:30] | Give us some room! | 给我们让个路 |
[1:16:32] | ‘I felt some pain, I suppose, about an hour later. | 我想大概一个小时后 我感到有些疼痛 |
[1:16:35] | I’d got these thigh boots on and the bullet had gone in sideways, | 我穿上这双长筒靴 子弹从侧面射入 |
[1:16:39] | all the way down the leg, in, out, in, out, | 一路下来 进 出 进 出 |
[1:16:42] | and hit the ankle bone and turned upside-down.’ | 撞到脚踝骨 然后颠倒了 |
[1:16:45] | – All right, sir? – Oh, God! | -还好吗 先生 -哦 天哪 |
[1:16:49] | Jesus! | 天哪 |
[1:16:52] | ‘The sergeant major brought me a dixie of hot tea, | 准尉给我带来了一杯热茶 |
[1:16:55] | which was just what I needed, it went down beautifully.’ | 这正是我需要的 喝下它很舒服 |
[1:16:59] | ‘And casualties started coming back, walking casualties, | 伤亡还在继续 死亡一直在增加 |
[1:17:02] | men with their arms smashed up, legs trawling, | 手被砸碎 腿被炸伤的人 |
[1:17:05] | and they got back to different dressing | 他们又换了新衣服 |
[1:17:07] | stations the best way they could.’ | 以他们最好的姿势走路 |
[1:17:08] | ‘The walking wounded, they were coming down in droves. | 走着的伤员 他们成群结队地下来 |
[1:17:11] | Some were holding one another, some were walking on their own, | 有些人抱在一起 有些人独自行走 |
[1:17:14] | a light wound in the hand or arm, some were hobbling along, | 手或手臂上有轻微的伤口 有些在蹒跚而行 |
[1:17:17] | some were looking quite cheerful | 有些人看起来很高兴 |
[1:17:19] | as they’d been free of something.’ | 因为他们什么都没有了 |
[1:17:20] | Hello, Mum! | 你好 妈妈 |
[1:17:23] | ‘My officer had said, “Are you all right, Kane?” | 我的长官说 凯恩 你没事吧 |
[1:17:26] | And I said, “Oh, yes, sir, I can still walk.” | 我说 是的 先生 我还能走路 |
[1:17:28] | He said, “But you’ve been hit in the back of the head,” | 他说 但是你的后脑勺被击中了 |
[1:17:31] | and he handed me quite a dose of rum.’ | 然后他递给我一大杯朗姆酒 |
[1:17:35] | I got a whack on the tin pot. I thought my head were coming off. | 我头盔上挨了一枪 我以为头要掉下来了 |
[1:17:37] | ‘The worst cases were those who were shot through the chest. | 最糟糕的情况是胸部中枪 |
[1:17:41] | Well, the difficulty of breathing, you see, | 呼吸困难 你看 |
[1:17:44] | you only had field dressings, which every man carried.’ | 你每个人都带着的只有野战服 |
[1:17:48] | – Yeah, we’ll have a better look at it. – Who’s waiting, boys? | -好 我们来好好看看 -小伙子们 谁在等 |
[1:17:51] | ‘You got a bottle of iodine and they’d tip it in the hole. | 他们会把一瓶碘 倒进伤口 |
[1:17:55] | Oh, the pain was terrific.’ | 疼得要命 |
[1:17:58] | Well done. | 干得好 |
[1:18:00] | How about that for luck, chum? | 运气如何 兄弟 |
[1:18:03] | They shot right through it. | 他们直接射穿了 |
[1:18:08] | ‘I was not in very good shape at all, | 我当时状态很糟 |
[1:18:10] | and I was getting somewhere near the end of my tether. | 我就快到极限了 |
[1:18:13] | I don’t think I could go on much longer. | 我觉得 我就要到此为止了 |
[1:18:15] | Every soldier, I suppose, had this breaking strain.’ | 我想 每个士兵都有这种即将崩断的时刻 |
[1:18:22] | The medics will be waiting for you. | 医生正等着你 |
[1:18:25] | Well done, lads. Well done. | 很好 兄弟 很好 |
[1:18:27] | That’s it. | 就这样 |
[1:18:29] | ‘We had some remarkable doctors | 我们有许多杰出的医生 |
[1:18:32] | who worked day and night | 他们日以继夜地工作 |
[1:18:34] | in various stations on the British front | 在英国前线的各个驻地 |
[1:18:37] | looking after the wounded.’ | 照顾伤员 |
[1:18:41] | Nice cup of Rosie Lee. You all right, Jack? | 一杯尚好的玫瑰花茶 你还好吗 杰克 |
[1:18:43] | ‘They seemed never to need any sleep | 他们看上去好像压根不需要睡眠 |
[1:18:46] | so, what they hadn’t got in numbers, they made up in effort.’ | 所以 他们是以勤奋弥补数量上的缺少 |
[1:18:50] | We need a shell dressing. | 我们需要贝壳敷料 |
[1:18:54] | ‘Both my officers, all my sergeants | 我的长官 所有的上士 |
[1:18:56] | and three-quarters of my men were killed or wounded.’ | 四分之三的人都伤亡了 |
[1:18:59] | – Blighty wound. – ‘Their ranks were made up | -伤势需遣回 -他们的队伍是由 |
[1:19:02] | with lads of 18 from England who’d been pushed out of factories.’ | 从英国工厂赶出来的18岁小伙组成的 |
[1:19:06] | Easy. That’s it. | 放松 没事的 |
[1:19:11] | Bloody birds! Get off! Go on! | 该死的鸟 下来 滚 |
[1:19:14] | Go on, then. | 滚 |
[1:19:16] | ‘My mob were helping the battalion to bury these, | 我的人帮营里面埋葬那些 |
[1:19:19] | only little kids, they were, 17 or 18 years of age.’ | 只有十七八岁的小孩 |
[1:19:22] | “In sure and certain hope of the resurrection | 让往生者安宁 |
[1:19:25] | to eternal life through our Lord Jesus Christ.” | 让在世者重获解脱 |
[1:19:33] | ‘A lot of those kids, that was their first action | 那些小孩 很多是第一次行动 |
[1:19:35] | – and they never knew any more. – ‘ Bring ’em over there! | -而他们什么也不会再知道了 -放这儿 |
[1:19:38] | ‘So we’d wrapped ’em up in blankets, | 所以我们用毯子把他们裹起来 |
[1:19:40] | dug a little shallow grave and put them in there.’ | 挖一个很浅的墓 把他们放进去 |
[1:19:45] | ‘I was putting a dressing on a German, | 我当时在给一个德国人上敷料 |
[1:19:47] | and he was very, very shaky | 他颤抖着 |
[1:19:49] | and fearful of what we were going to do to him.’ | 很害怕我们会对他做什么 |
[1:19:51] | ‘But they were more frightened than we were | 而他们比我们更害怕 |
[1:19:54] | and we were frightened, I don’t mind telling you.’ | 我们也很害怕 我不介意告诉你这些 |
[1:19:56] | ‘Mostly, they were just boys, as we were. | 多数情况下 他们和我们一样只是孩子 |
[1:19:59] | They seemed glad to be captured, | 他们似乎很高兴被俘虏了 |
[1:20:01] | they were out of it.’ | 他们逃出了炼狱 |
[1:20:02] | – Is this yours? – Mine. | -你的吗 -我的 |
[1:20:04] | – This is his. – Ah, it’s yours. | -他的 -哦 你的 |
[1:20:06] | Put it in your pocket. | 装兜里装好 |
[1:20:07] | ‘There was a little German fella. | 有一个德国小孩 |
[1:20:09] | I gave him a cigarette and he was terrified, | 我给了他一根烟 他害怕极了 |
[1:20:12] | and I was very sorry for him, really, you know. | 我替他感到抱歉 真的 |
[1:20:14] | He was only about 16. | 他才16岁 |
[1:20:16] | And we had a chinwag and I just took his pocket watch. | 我们聊了会天 然后我就拿走了他的怀表 |
[1:20:19] | You know, it was a normal thing. We used to rob them, you see.’ | 那在当时很正常 我们过去经常抢他们 |
[1:20:22] | Right, let’s go. Pick him up! | 好了 我们走 带上他 |
[1:20:24] | ‘Yes, they were underfed and they were in very poor shape.’ | 是的 他们吃不饱 身体状态也不好 |
[1:20:28] | Come on now, lads. Pick him up. Come on! | 行了 哥们 拉他起来 快点 |
[1:20:30] | ‘And, funnily enough, five or six German prisoners came along | 有趣的是 有五六个德国俘虏过来 |
[1:20:33] | and they helped carry me and I got another six watches | 他们帮着抬我 然后我又收获了六块手表 |
[1:20:37] | because I robbed these fellas who helped me down.’ | 因为我抢了这些帮我忙的人 |
[1:20:40] | ‘Every time we captured prisoners, | 每当我们抓到俘虏 |
[1:20:42] | a number of German prisoners would | 一些德国俘虏就会 |
[1:20:44] | immediately take up stretcher duty. | 立刻接过担架 |
[1:20:47] | Now, I’m sure the Geneva Convention | 现在 我很确定《日内瓦公约》 |
[1:20:48] | never required them to do that.’ | 从来没要求他们那么做过 |
[1:20:50] | There you go, lads. I’ve got him. Steady. | 就这样 伙计 我接住了 稳点 |
[1:20:52] | Feet up. You’re all right, chum. That’s it. | 往前 没事的 兄弟 就这样 |
[1:20:55] | Come. Keep going. | 来 继续往前走 |
[1:20:58] | ‘I took about a dozen prisoners back with me, | 我带了十几个俘虏回来 |
[1:21:00] | who were all unarmed and I just had my old gun.’ | 他们解除了武装 我只有一把老枪 |
[1:21:03] | ‘In some cases, there were a whole lot of Germans | 有时候 一大堆德国人 |
[1:21:06] | without even a Tommy with them.’ | 都没有一个英国士兵看着 |
[1:21:08] | ‘Oh, they were really cowed they were, | 他们真的很害怕 |
[1:21:11] | yes, they were very subdued.’ | 是的 他们被征服了 |
[1:21:14] | Come along now! | 现在都往前走 |
[1:21:16] | ‘I slept next to a German man who’d been wounded in the arm… | 一个伤了胳膊的德国人就睡我旁边 |
[1:21:22] | …and, to my amazement, he started talking to me in English. | 令我惊讶的是 他开始用英语和我说话 |
[1:21:25] | And he said he’d been a waiter at the Savoy.’ | 他说他在萨瓦当过服务员 |
[1:21:32] | ‘I mean, I don’t think the average British soldier ever had | 我是说 我认为普通的英国士兵并没有 |
[1:21:36] | any deep feelings regarding revenge against a German. | 非常想报复德国人 |
[1:21:39] | He admired him and respected him.’ | 他很尊重敬佩他 |
[1:21:41] | Go on, show him. | 来 给他看看 |
[1:21:43] | ‘As the war went on, I felt as much | 随着战争的持续 我对 |
[1:21:46] | sympathy for them as I did for myself.’ | 他们的同情 一如对自己的同情 |
[1:21:48] | ‘The German, I always thought, was a good fighter. | 我一直认为 德国人是很好的战士 |
[1:21:51] | I’d sooner have him on my side than on the opposite side.’ | 我宁愿他站在我这边 而不是对立的那边 |
[1:21:55] | ‘Some of the Germans thought we ought to be fighting | 有些德国人认为 我们应该和他们一起 |
[1:21:57] | with them against the French and Russians, | 与法国人和俄国人战斗 |
[1:21:59] | but none of them thought we ought to be fighting each other.’ | 但没有人认为我们应该彼此互斗 |
[1:22:02] | – Keep on moving forward! ‘You see, the German had been | -继续往前走 -你看 德国人 |
[1:22:05] | an unknown horde | 一群无名之辈 |
[1:22:07] | with their coal-scuttle helmets, and then we met them.’ | 戴着煤斗头盔 然后我们狭路相逢 |
[1:22:11] | ‘Well, the German soldier, he was a very nice fella as a rule. | 德国士兵 是很好的人 |
[1:22:14] | I think he was really a barber or a shopkeeper or something | 我觉得他本该是个理发师或者店主之类的 |
[1:22:17] | and, the same as us, he was stuck in uniform.’ | 然而就像我们一样 他不得不穿上军装 |
[1:22:20] | You’re too tall. Get you next time, Jerry! | 你太高了 下次再接你 德国人 |
[1:22:22] | ‘We got on very well together, actually, | 事实上 我们相处得很好 |
[1:22:25] | and they used to mix in with us.’ | 他们也和我们混在一起 |
[1:22:27] | – Want your hat back? – Give it him back! | -想要回帽子吗 -还给他 |
[1:22:30] | – What do you reckon? – ‘They were decent sort of family people | -你觉得呢 -他们是热爱家庭的体面人 |
[1:22:33] | and thought a great deal of their children.’ | 很为自己的孩子殚精竭虑 |
[1:22:36] | Let’s try yours. | 让我试试你的 |
[1:22:38] | ‘They didn’t seem to bear any malice against us. | 他们似乎对我们没什么恶意 |
[1:22:41] | They’d had to do what they were told, like us.’ | 他们只是像我们一样 得照吩咐做事 |
[1:22:45] | Go on, go on tracking. | 继续 继续找 |
[1:22:48] | ‘I couldn’t speak German, but some could | 我不会德语 但有的人会 |
[1:22:50] | and the Germans, some of them could speak English. | 而德国人 有的会说英语 |
[1:22:53] | Anyhow, we could understand each other.’ | 然后不知为何 我们能够相互理解 |
[1:22:55] | ‘The general agreement when we were talking to Germans | 我们和德国人达成的一致意见是 |
[1:22:58] | was how useless war was and why did it have to happen?’ | 战争是多么的无用以及为何一定要发生 |
[1:23:02] | – Taking our photos. – Hey! Here! | -给我们照张相 -嘿 这里 |
[1:23:05] | ‘When you’re passing bodies all day long, | 当你每日经过尸体 |
[1:23:07] | it’s bound to have an effect on whoever it is, isn’t it?’ | 它一定会对人产生影响 对吧 |
[1:23:10] | ‘This big, fat German was lying in a street, you know, | 这个又大又胖的德国人躺在街上 |
[1:23:14] | his stomach was all gassed up.’ – Buzzing | 他的胃胀满了气体 |
[1:23:16] | ‘His intestines were lying out on his belly | 他的肠子堆在肚子上 |
[1:23:19] | and somebody had stuck a pipe in his mouth! | 有个人把烟斗插进了他的嘴里 |
[1:23:22] | Yeah, we all told him to get up! ‘ | 我们都叫他赶快起来 |
[1:23:25] | Jerries come through this way. | 德国人从这边过来 |
[1:23:27] | ‘German troops were very brave and very stubborn.’ | 德国军队非常勇敢 非常顽强 |
[1:23:30] | ‘The Germans fought rearguard actions almost back to the Rhine | 德国人不断战斗 防线几乎铺到了莱茵河后方 |
[1:23:34] | and regiment after regiment was smashed up and cut about.’ | 一个又一个兵团被不断打散 |
[1:23:38] | ‘We had an idea that they were beginning to crack.’ | 我们知道他们开始崩溃了 |
[1:23:41] | ‘l’d say that they were, if anything, | 如果要我说 他们 |
[1:23:45] | rather despondent. | 非常沮丧 |
[1:23:47] | They knew they had lost the war.’ | 他们知道他们已经输掉了战争 |
[1:23:48] | ‘We, as front-line soldiers, knew they were giving up.’ | 我们 作为前线的士兵 知道他们放弃了 |
[1:23:52] | ‘Quite frankly, the Germans were fed up with the whole thing.’ | 坦白说 德国人受够了一切 |
[1:23:57] | ‘And, gradually, that is how the war itself came to an end.’ | 渐渐的 战争就这样结束了 |
[1:24:01] | ‘I got the impression that most of | 我的感觉是 大多数 |
[1:24:03] | the German soldiers couldn’t care less | 德国士兵根本不在乎 |
[1:24:06] | who won, as long as the war finished.’ | 谁赢了 只要战争结束了就行 |
[1:24:08] | ‘Of course, that’s what everybody was | 当然 那时所有人 |
[1:24:10] | thinking about then. We’d had enough.’ | 都这么想 我们受够了 |
[1:24:12] | ‘And after a time, perhaps, nobody cared.’ | 然后又过了一阵 也许 就没人在乎了 |
[1:24:15] | All right, boys, here it comes. | 好了 兄弟们 来了 |
[1:24:18] | We’re in the pictures! Shush. | 我们被照进相片了 |
[1:24:21] | ‘There was a fella in the war called Rumour, | 战争中有一个人 叫做若莫 |
[1:24:24] | he knows everything, you see, and Mr Rumour told us that | 他什么事都知道 若莫告诉我们 |
[1:24:27] | the Germans were also negotiating for an armistice.’ | 德国人也在为停战进行谈判 |
[1:24:30] | ‘There was a huge poster. | 有一张巨大的海报 |
[1:24:32] | “All hostilities will cease on the Western Front | 西部战线的所有交火将于1918年 |
[1:24:35] | at 11 o’clock on 11th November, 1918.” | 11月11时11分停止 |
[1:24:40] | So we said to each other, “What day is it?” | 所以我们就问彼此 今天是几号 |
[1:24:42] | And somebody discovered it was November 11th!’ | 然后有人就发现正是十一月十一日 |
[1:24:46] | Smile for the camera! | 对着相机笑一笑 |
[1:24:47] | ‘Then we had to shine our boots and clean our buttons. | 然后我们必须擦亮靴子 擦干净纽扣 |
[1:24:49] | We knew the war was over then…’ | 我们知道那时候战争结束了 |
[1:24:52] | ‘..and we were quite confident that | 我们对战争结束时 |
[1:24:54] | we would be there when it ended.’ | 我们还活着很有信心 |
[1:24:56] | ‘This proclamation was read out, | 公告被宣读 |
[1:24:58] | stating that the hostilities would cease from 11 that morning, | 宣告交火于早11时停止 |
[1:25:02] | and actually there wasn’t a cheer of any kind raised | 实际上 当它被宣告时 |
[1:25:05] | when that was read out.’ | 并没有任何欢呼声 |
[1:25:07] | ‘At 11 o’clock, the noise of the gunfire just rolled away, | 到了十一点 枪声远去 |
[1:25:11] | like a peal of thunder in the distance.’ | 一如遥远的雷声 |
[1:25:26] | ‘Never heard it being quiet. Now it was dead silent.’ | 从未如此安静 死寂一般 |
[1:25:30] | ‘You were so dazed that you could | 对于可以站直了身体 却不被枪击 |
[1:25:32] | stand up straight and not be shot.’ | 每一个人都无比茫然 |
[1:25:34] | ‘It was eerie.’ | 太可怕了 |
[1:25:37] | ‘There was a feeling of relief and gladness, | 我觉得 那是一种放松和高兴的感觉 |
[1:25:39] | I suppose, but no celebration.’ | 但是没有庆祝声 |
[1:25:42] | ‘The staff officer shut his watch up and said, | 参谋合上他的表 然后说道 |
[1:25:45] | “I wonder what we’re all going to do next.”‘ | 不知道我们接下来要做什么 |
[1:25:48] | ‘There was no demonstration of any kind, | 没有任何形式的游行 |
[1:25:50] | nobody said a word, everybody just slumped away.’ | 没人说一句话 大家都散开了 |
[1:25:54] | ‘The only way we could have celebrated as regards to a liquid | 我们唯一可以庆祝的方法 |
[1:25:58] | would have been tea, that’s all.’ | 就是喝茶 仅此而已 |
[1:26:00] | ‘It was one of the flattest moments of our lives. | 那是我们生命中最平淡的时刻之一 |
[1:26:03] | We just couldn’t comprehend it.’ | 我们只是无法理解 |
[1:26:06] | ‘We had that sort of feeling as though | 我们有一种感觉 就好像 |
[1:26:08] | we’d been kicked out of a job.’ | 我们被开除了 |
[1:26:10] | ‘To some of us, | 对我们其中一些人来说 |
[1:26:11] | it was practically the only life we’d known. | 那是我们唯一知道的生活 |
[1:26:14] | What was one going to do next?’ | 那接下来要做什么呢 |
[1:26:16] | ‘It was just like being made redundant.’ | 就像被裁员了一样 |
[1:26:19] | ‘That was very much the feeling of everyone.’ | 每个人都有那种感觉 |
[1:26:21] | ‘We were thoroughly upset, we’d all got no work to go to. | 我们非常沮丧 我们都没有工作可做了 |
[1:26:25] | “I don’t want to go back.”‘ | 我不想回去 |
[1:26:27] | ‘There was no cheering, no singing, | 没有欢呼声 没有歌声 |
[1:26:29] | we were drained of all emotion. | 我们的感情已经麻木了 |
[1:26:32] | We were too far gone, too exhausted to enjoy it.’ | 我们走得太远 太累了 没法享受了 |
[1:26:36] | ‘All things come to an end | 一切都走向终点 |
[1:26:38] | and even a drama can go on too long. | 即使是一场大戏也演得太长了 |
[1:26:41] | It didn’t end with a whimper, but something very much like one.’ | 它不是抽噎着结束的 但也和那差不多了 |
[1:27:00] | ‘I was very happy to leave. | 我很高兴离开 |
[1:27:02] | I’d had enough, you know. | 我受够了 |
[1:27:04] | After a time, it begins to wear on one, you know.’ | 过了一阵 时间渐渐流逝 |
[1:27:07] | “‘Thank goodness the bloody thing is over,” | 谢天谢地 这该死的玩意终于结束了 |
[1:27:10] | that was all.’ | 就这样 |
[1:27:11] | ‘As far as I was concerned, I was out of it | 就我而言 我走出了它 |
[1:27:13] | and now the next step in life.’ | 现在是人生的下一步了 |
[1:27:15] | ‘The first thing we did was write home, | 我们做的第一件事是写信给家里 |
[1:27:17] | say we were all right, | 告诉他们 我们很好 |
[1:27:18] | making sure we got the date on the envelope right.’ | 确保信封上的日期是对的 |
[1:27:21] | ‘To someone like myself, who was interested in nature, | 对于像我这样 热爱自然的人 |
[1:27:24] | after the horrors that man had made of the battlefront, | 经历过前线的恐怖之后 |
[1:27:27] | I was immensely delighted to find shell holes | 我非常高兴地发现了猫耳洞 |
[1:27:29] | in which I picked lilies of the valley and larkspur. | 在那里我采摘了百合和燕草 |
[1:27:32] | And I pursued Camberwell Beauties and swallowtail butterflies | 我沿着埃纳河 |
[1:27:36] | along the banks of the Aisne River.’ | 追逐各种美丽的蝴蝶 |
[1:27:38] | ‘We went to Boulogne. | 我们去了布伦 |
[1:27:40] | By the way, we came home with full pack. | 顺便提一句 我们装着满满的行李回了家 |
[1:27:42] | The only thing we left behind was the bullets, | 我们唯一扔下的就是子弹 |
[1:27:45] | we had to discard those, | 我们不得不扔掉 |
[1:27:46] | but we still kept our rifle. | 但我们还留着抢 |
[1:27:48] | We went over to Folkestone, | 我们去了福克斯通 |
[1:27:50] | and there were long trestle tables with very kind ladies. | 在长长的栈桥桌旁 有善良的女士 |
[1:27:56] | They gave you a sausage roll, or a bun, | 他们给你一个香肠卷 或者一个面包 |
[1:27:58] | and a cup of tea and that was very welcome.’ | 和一杯茶 这很受欢迎的 |
[1:28:01] | ‘We entrained to Victoria and there we broke up.’ | 我们搭火车到了维多利亚站 然后就分手了 |
[1:28:05] | ‘We went to the barracks and we just dumped rifles, | 我们去营房 把步枪 |
[1:28:08] | bayonets and everything and there were | 刺刀及其它东西放下 |
[1:28:11] | a lot of suits on display, hats, shoes. | 有很多服饰可选 帽子还有鞋 |
[1:28:14] | You could tell her which one you wanted, | 你说想要哪种 |
[1:28:16] | style and colour and they measured you.’ | 风格和颜色 他们会给你量尺码 |
[1:28:19] | ‘I was horrified by what I saw when I came back here | 当我回来以后 看到想找工作的人 |
[1:28:23] | and when one tried to get a job.’ | 受到了何种待遇 我感到很惊恐 |
[1:28:25] | ‘There was mass unemployment. | 大规模失业 |
[1:28:27] | I thought, “This isn’t much of a life.”‘ | 我想着 “这不叫生活啊” |
[1:28:29] | ‘It was a difficult thing to realise | 意识到你自己没有任何商业价值 |
[1:28:30] | you’re of no commercial value.’ | 是件挺难的事情 |
[1:28:32] | ‘It was a shame, the way ex-servicemen | 服过兵役的人员受到的待遇 |
[1:28:34] | were treated. You weren’t wanted. | 令人羞耻 没人想要你 |
[1:28:36] | Some places said, “No ex-servicemen need apply,” | 有些地方会直接说 “前服役人员不准申请” |
[1:28:39] | and that was the sort of attitude you were up against.’ | 你会遇到的就是这类的态度 |
[1:28:42] | ‘One of my pals was killed and, when I went home, | 我的一个兄弟被杀了 当我回到家 |
[1:28:46] | the first thing that I did was go to his mother, | 做的第一件事情 就是去找他的母亲 |
[1:28:48] | who, if she’d had a frying pan, she’d have hit me. | 如果她手上拿着平底锅 会直接打我的 |
[1:28:51] | Her son had been killed and I’d come back alive. | 她的儿子牺牲了 而我却活着回来了 |
[1:28:54] | She was very bitter.’ | 她心里很苦 |
[1:28:56] | ‘The first night I came home, | 我回家的第一晚 |
[1:28:57] | I got into my old bed, the first bed | 躺在我原来的床上 这是我入伍以来 |
[1:29:00] | I’d laid in since l joined the army. | 睡的第一张床 |
[1:29:02] | When Mother brought my cup of tea up in the morning, | 早晨 当我母亲给我端茶来 |
[1:29:05] | she found me fast asleep on the floor.’ | 她发现我在地板上睡得正熟 |
[1:29:07] | ‘People never talked about the war. | 人们不再谈起这次战争 |
[1:29:09] | It was a thing that had no conversational value at all. | 这是没有任何对话意义的事情 |
[1:29:12] | Most people were absolutely disinterested.’ | 大部分人一点都不感兴趣 |
[1:29:14] | ‘When I got home, my father and my mother didn’t seem least interested. | 当我回到家 我父母亲于战争一点兴趣都没有 |
[1:29:19] | They hadn’t any conception of what it was like.’ | 他们对战争是什么样子没有任何概念 |
[1:29:22] | ‘And there was no reason why any one of | 我们数百万袍泽 |
[1:29:24] | us millions should have been favoured | 曾经经历泥泞和失联 |
[1:29:26] | with a “thank you very much” for having got a little bit muddy | 人们没有任何理由不青睐我们 |
[1:29:29] | and out of touch with good manners.’ | 不对我们礼貌的说声”非常感谢” |
[1:29:31] | ‘And on occasions when I did talk about | 偶尔我聊起这些时 |
[1:29:34] | it, my father would argue points of fact | 我父亲争论的观点在于 |
[1:29:36] | that he couldn’t have known about, because he wasn’t there.’ | 他不可能知道的 因为他不在场 |
[1:29:40] | ‘Every soldier I’ve spoken to experienced the same thing. | 每个和我聊过的士兵都有类似的经历 |
[1:29:43] | We were a race apart from the civilians, | 我们和平民完全不是一类人 |
[1:29:46] | and you could speak to your comrades, and they understood | 你可以和你的战友倾诉 他们会懂 |
[1:29:49] | but, the civilians, it was just a waste of time.’ | 但平民们说 只是浪费时间罢了 |
[1:29:52] | ‘However nice and sympathetic they were, | 不管他们有多友善和同情 |
[1:29:55] | attempts of well-meaning people to sympathise | 善意的人们试图表示同情 |
[1:29:58] | reflected the fact that they didn’t really understand at all.’ | 这正反映出他们根本一点都不理解 |
[1:30:03] | ‘I think the magnitude was just beyond their comprehension. | 我觉得这是超出他们理解之外的事情 |
[1:30:06] | They didn’t understand that people that you’d known | 他们不会理解 那个你认识的人 |
[1:30:10] | and played football with were just killed beside you. | 和你一起踢球的人 就在你身边被杀 |
[1:30:14] | My friend who enlisted with me lay there | 和我一起从军的朋友 |
[1:30:16] | like a sack of rags until he went black | 就像个麻袋一样躺在那里 直到变成黑色 |
[1:30:19] | before anybody troubled to bury him.’ | 才有人会去把他掩埋 |
[1:30:21] | ‘They knew that people came back covered with mud and lice, | 他们知道我们回来一身的泥和虱子 |
[1:30:25] | but they’d no idea of the strain of sitting in a trench | 但他们无法想象 坐在战壕里 |
[1:30:28] | and waiting for something to drop on one’s head.’ | 等炮弹落下来是怎样的折磨 |
[1:30:31] | ‘You couldn’t convey the awful state of things, | 你无法表达事情的可怕 |
[1:30:34] | the way you lived like animals and behaved like animals. | 像个动物一样生存 行为举止也像动物 |
[1:30:37] | People didn’t seem to realise what a terrible thing war was.’ | 人们没有意识到战争是多可怕的事情 |
[1:30:42] | ‘l think they felt that the war was one continual cavalry charge. | 我觉得他们以为战争就是持续的骑兵冲锋 |
[1:30:47] | They hadn’t any conception. And how could they?’ | 他们没概念 怎么会有呢 |
[1:30:50] | ‘Well, it started off in a reasonable manner, | 其实 刚开始还是合理的 |
[1:30:53] | it was people fighting on horseback with swords, | 人们骑在马背上用剑打仗 |
[1:30:55] | but it developed into something ghastly. | 但后期就发展到了很可怕的地步 |
[1:30:57] | People don’t realise the potential of military equipment. | 人们没有意识到军事装备的潜力 |
[1:31:04] | ‘We were none of us heroes, you know. | 我们没有人是英雄 |
[1:31:06] | We didn’t like this business of being killed at all.’ | 我们一点都不喜欢要被人杀这种事 |
[1:31:09] | ‘When we were talking among ourselves, we used to say, | 当我们自己人聊天时 我们总会说 |
[1:31:12] | “Christ! They won’t have any more wars like this!”‘ | “老天 不会再有像这样的战争了吧” |
[1:31:14] | ‘How did we endure it? The answer | 我们怎么熬过来的 答案 |
[1:31:17] | must be partly the fear of fear, | 一部分是对于战争的惧怕 |
[1:31:19] | the fear of being found afraid. | 害怕别人察觉自己的恐惧 |
[1:31:21] | Another is belief in human beings, your colleague, | 还有在于对人性的信任 对袍泽的信任 |
[1:31:24] | and there’s no letting him down.’ | 不能让彼此失望 |
[1:31:26] | ‘There may be right on both sides, but I think war is horrible. | 可能两边都有理 但我认为战争太可怕了 |
[1:31:30] | Everything should be done to avoid war.’ | 应该尽全力去避免战争 |
[1:31:34] | ‘I still can’t see the justification for it. | 我依旧看不到战争的理由 |
[1:31:37] | It was all really rather horrible. | 真的太可怕了 |
[1:31:39] | I think history will decide, in the end, | 我觉得 最终历史会证明 |
[1:31:42] | that it was not worthwhile.’ | 这场战争不值得 |
[1:31:46] | ‘The only thing that really did annoy me | 唯一真正惹毛我的是 |
[1:31:48] | was, when I went back to work | 当我退伍复原 |
[1:31:50] | after I’d got demobilised, I went down the stores, | 回去上班时 我进了一家商店 |
[1:31:53] | and the bloke behind the counter was a bloke who I knew. | 柜台后的家伙是我原来认识的小伙 |
[1:31:56] | He said, “Where have you been? On nights?”‘ | 他说 “你最近去哪里了 上夜班吗” |
[1:32:16] | 威廉姆·杰克逊 中士 杰出行为勋章 第2南威尔士边防团 1890-1940 | |
[1:32:31] | 西德尼·拉克 中士 第2蒙茅斯郡团 牺牲于1915年5月8日 | |
[1:32:31] | 托马斯·威尔士 少尉 新西兰隧道公司&新西兰步枪队 牺牲于1918年5月4日 | |
[1:33:00] | ♪ Mademoiselle from Armentieres ♪ | ♪ 阿尔门蒂耶斯来的姑娘 ♪ |
[1:33:03] | ♪ Parlez-vous ♪ | ♪ 你在说什么 ♪ |
[1:33:05] | ♪ Mademoiselle from Armentieres ♪ | ♪ 阿尔门蒂耶斯来的姑娘 ♪ |
[1:33:07] | ♪ Parlez-vous ♪ | ♪ 你在说什么 ♪ |
[1:33:09] | ♪ Mademoiselle from Armentieres ♪ | ♪ 阿尔门蒂耶斯来的姑娘 ♪ |
[1:33:11] | ♪ She hasn’t been kissed in 40 years ♪ | ♪ 她40年未被吻过了 ♪ |
[1:33:13] | ♪ Hinky dinky, parlez-vous ♪ | ♪ 奇怪 你在说什么 ♪ |
[1:33:17] | ♪ Mademoiselle from Armentieres ♪ | ♪ 阿尔门蒂耶斯来的姑娘 ♪ |
[1:33:19] | ♪ Parlez-vous ♪ | ♪ 你在说什么 ♪ |
[1:33:21] | ♪ Mademoiselle from Armentieres ♪ | ♪ 阿尔门蒂耶斯来的姑娘 ♪ |
[1:33:23] | ♪ Parlez-vous ♪ | ♪ 你在说什么 ♪ |
[1:33:25] | ♪ Our top kick in Armentiéres ♪ | ♪ 我们第一击就在阿尔门蒂耶斯 ♪ |
[1:33:27] | ♪ Broke the spell of 40 years ♪ | ♪ 打破了40年的咒语 ♪ |
[1:33:29] | ♪ Hinky dinky, parlez-vous ♪ | ♪ 奇怪 你在说什么 ♪ |
[1:33:33] | ♪ Mademoiselle from Armentieres | ♪ 阿尔门蒂耶斯来的姑娘 ♪ |
[1:33:36] | ♪ Parlez-vous ♪ | ♪ 你在说什么 ♪ |
[1:33:38] | ♪ Mademoiselle from Armentieres ♪ | ♪ 阿尔门蒂耶斯来的姑娘 ♪ |
[1:33:40] | ♪ Parlez-vous ♪ | ♪ 你在说什么 ♪ |
[1:33:42] | ♪ You didn’t have to know her long ♪ | ♪ 你不需要认识她很久 ♪ |
[1:33:44] | ♪ To know the reason men go wrong ♪ | ♪ 才知道为什么男人们犯错 ♪ |
[1:33:46] | ♪ Hinky dinky, parlez-vous ♪ | ♪ 奇怪 你在说什么 ♪ |
[1:33:50] | ♪ Mademoiselle from Armentieres ♪ | ♪ 阿尔门蒂耶斯来的姑娘 ♪ |
[1:33:52] | ♪ Parlez-vous ♪ | ♪ 你在说什么 ♪ |
[1:33:54] | ♪ Mademoiselle from Armentieres ♪ | ♪ 阿尔门蒂耶斯来的姑娘 ♪ |
[1:33:56] | ♪ Parlez-vous ♪ | ♪ 你在说什么 ♪ |
[1:33:58] | ♪ She’s the hardest working girl in town ♪ | ♪ 她是镇上干活最勤劳的姑娘 ♪ |
[1:34:00] | ♪ She makes her living upside-down ♪ | ♪ 她把自己的日子过颠倒 ♪ |
[1:34:02] | ♪ Hinky dinky, parlez-vous ♪ | ♪ 奇怪 你在说什么 ♪ |
[1:34:11] | ♪ Mademoiselle from Armentieres ♪ | ♪ 阿尔门蒂耶斯来的姑娘 ♪ |
[1:34:13] | ♪ Parlez-vous ♪ | ♪ 你在说什么 ♪ |
[1:34:15] | ♪ Mademoiselle from Armentieres ♪ | ♪ 阿尔门蒂耶斯来的姑娘 ♪ |
[1:34:17] | ♪ Parlez-vous ♪ | ♪ 你在说什么 ♪ |
[1:34:19] | ♪ She sold her kisses for ten francs each ♪ | ♪ 她以十法郎出售自己的香吻 ♪ |
[1:34:21] | ♪ Soft and juicy, as sweet as a peach ♪ | ♪ 柔软多汁 美妙如蜜桃 ♪ |
[1:34:23] | ♪ Hinky dinky, parlez-vous ♪ | ♪ 奇怪 你在说什么 ♪ |
[1:34:27] | ♪ Mademoiselle from Armentieres ♪ | ♪ 阿尔门蒂耶斯来的姑娘 ♪ |
[1:34:29] | ♪ Parlez-vous ♪ | ♪ 你在说什么 ♪ |
[1:34:32] | ♪ Mademoiselle from Armentieres ♪ | ♪ 阿尔门蒂耶斯来的姑娘 ♪ |
[1:34:34] | ♪ Parlez-vous ♪ | ♪ 你在说什么 ♪ |
[1:34:35] | ♪ Madame, you’ve got a daughter fair ♪ | ♪ 女士 你生个女儿很公平 ♪ |
[1:34:38] | ♪ To wash a soldier’s underwear ♪ | ♪ 可以给士兵们洗洗内衣 ♪ |
[1:34:40] | ♪ Hinky dinky, parlez-vous ♪ | ♪ 奇怪 你在说什么 ♪ |
[1:34:44] | ♪ I didn’t care what came of me ♪ | ♪ 我才不关心会发生什么 ♪ |
[1:34:46] | ♪ Parlez-vous ♪ | ♪ 你在说什么 ♪ |
[1:34:48] | ♪ I didn’t care what came of me ♪ | ♪ 我才不关心会发生什么 ♪ |
[1:34:50] | ♪ Parlez-vous ♪ | ♪ 你在说什么 ♪ |
[1:34:52] | ♪ I didn’t care what came of me ♪ | ♪ 我才不关心会发生什么 ♪ |
[1:34:54] | ♪ So I went and joined the infantry ♪ | ♪ 所以我加入了步兵团 ♪ |
[1:34:56] | ♪ Hinky dinky, parlez-vous ♪ | ♪ 奇怪 你在说什么 ♪ |
[1:35:33] | ♪ Mademoiselle from Armentieres ♪ | ♪ 阿尔门蒂耶斯来的姑娘 ♪ |
[1:35:35] | ♪ Parlez-vous ♪ | ♪ 你在说什么 ♪ |
[1:35:37] | ♪ Mademoiselle from Armentieres ♪ | ♪ 阿尔门蒂耶斯来的姑娘 ♪ |
[1:35:40] | ♪ Parlez-vous ♪ | ♪ 你在说什么 ♪ |
[1:35:41] | ♪ Went in her bed, she sure was fun ♪ | ♪ 上了她的床 确实很有趣 ♪ |
[1:35:44] | ♪ Working her arse like a Maxim gun ♪ | ♪ 在她的田里辛勤耕种 ♪ |
[1:35:46] | ♪ Hinky dinky, parlez-vous ♪ | ♪ 奇怪 你在说什么 ♪ |
[1:35:50] | ♪ Mademoiselle from Armentieres ♪ | ♪ 阿尔门蒂耶斯来的姑娘 ♪ |
[1:35:52] | ♪ Parlez-vous ♪ | ♪ 你在说什么 ♪ |
[1:35:54] | ♪ Mademoiselle from Armentieres ♪ | ♪ 阿尔门蒂耶斯来的姑娘 ♪ |
[1:35:56] | ♪ Parlez-vous ♪ | ♪ 你在说什么 ♪ |
[1:35:58] | ♪ I had more fun than I could tell ♪ | ♪ 我享受的美妙不可言喻 ♪ |
[1:36:00] | ♪ Beneath the sheets with Mademoiselle ♪ | ♪ 隐藏在姑娘的床单下 ♪ |
[1:36:02] | ♪ Hinky dinky, parlez-vous ♪ | ♪ 奇怪 你在说什么 ♪ |
[1:36:06] | ♪ Mademoiselle from Armentieres ♪ | ♪ 阿尔门蒂耶斯来的姑娘 ♪ |
[1:36:08] | ♪ Parlez-vous ♪ | ♪ 你在说什么 ♪ |
[1:36:10] | ♪ Mademoiselle from Armentieres ♪ | ♪ 阿尔门蒂耶斯来的姑娘 ♪ |
[1:36:13] | ♪ Parlez-vous ♪ | ♪ 你在说什么 ♪ |
[1:36:14] | ♪ She’d give a wink and cry, “Oui, oui! ♪ | ♪ 她眨眨眼哭出声 ♪ |
[1:36:17] | ♪ Let’s see what you can do with me!” ♪ | ♪ 那就瞧瞧你能拿我怎么办 ♪ |
[1:36:19] | ♪ Hinky dinky, parlez-vous ♪ | ♪ 奇怪 你在说什么 ♪ |
[1:36:23] | ♪ They say they mechanised the war ♪ | ♪ 据说他们把战争机械化 ♪ |
[1:36:25] | ♪ Parlez-vous ♪ | ♪ 你在说什么 ♪ |
[1:36:26] | ♪ They say they mechanised the war ♪ | ♪ 据说他们把战争机械化 ♪ |
[1:36:29] | ♪ Parlez-vous ♪ | ♪ 你在说什么 ♪ |
[1:36:31] | ♪ They say they mechanised the war ♪ | ♪ 据说他们把战争机械化 ♪ |
[1:36:33] | ♪ So what the hell are we marching for? ♪ | ♪ 那我们为什么还在行军 ♪ |
[1:36:35] | ♪ Hinky dinky, parlez-vous ♪ | ♪ 奇怪 你在说什么 ♪ |
[1:36:56] | ♪ Mademoiselle from Armentieres ♪ | ♪ 阿尔门蒂耶斯来的姑娘 ♪ |
[1:36:58] | ♪ Parlez-vous ♪ | ♪ 你在说什么 ♪ |
[1:37:00] | ♪ Mademoiselle from Armentieres ♪ | ♪ 阿尔门蒂耶斯来的姑娘 ♪ |
[1:37:02] | ♪ Parlez-vous ♪ | ♪ 你在说什么 ♪ |
[1:37:04] | ♪ Mademoiselle from Armentieres ♪ | ♪ 阿尔门蒂耶斯来的姑娘 ♪ |
[1:37:06] | ♪ She hasn’t been kissed for 40 years ♪ | ♪ 她40年未被吻过了 ♪ |
[1:37:08] | ♪ Hinky dinky, parlez-vous ♪ | ♪ 奇怪 你在说什么 ♪ |
[1:37:12] | ♪ The officers get all the steak ♪ | ♪ 军官拿到所有的牛排 ♪ |
[1:37:14] | ♪ Parlez-vous ♪ | ♪ 你在说什么 ♪ |
[1:37:16] | ♪ The officers get all the steak ♪ | ♪ 军官拿到所有的牛排 ♪ |
[1:37:18] | ♪ Parlez-vous ♪ | ♪ 你在说什么 ♪ |
[1:37:20] | ♪ The officers get all the steak ♪ | ♪ 军官拿到所有的牛排 ♪ |
[1:37:22] | ♪ And all we get is a belly ache ♪ | ♪ 而我们拿到的都是下水 ♪ |
[1:37:24] | ♪ Hinky dinky, parlez-vous ♪ | ♪ 奇怪 你在说什么 ♪ |
[1:37:29] | ♪ You might forget the gas and shells ♪ | ♪ 你恐怕会忘了毒气和炮弹 ♪ |
[1:37:31] | ♪ Parlez-vous | ♪ 你在说什么 ♪ |
[1:37:33] | ♪ You might forget the gas and shells ♪ | ♪ 你恐怕会忘了毒气和炮弹 ♪ |
[1:37:35] | ♪ Parlez-vous ♪ | ♪ 你在说什么 ♪ |
[1:37:37] | ♪ You might forget the groans and yells ♪ | ♪ 你恐怕会忘了哀嚎和呼喊 ♪ |
[1:37:39] | ♪ But you never forget the mademoiselles ♪ | ♪ 但绝对不会忘记姑娘 ♪ |
[1:37:41] | ♪ Hinky dinky, parlez-vous ♪ | ♪ 奇怪 你在说什么 ♪ |
[1:38:02] | ♪ Mademoiselle from Armentieres ♪ | ♪ 阿尔门蒂耶斯来的姑娘 ♪ |
[1:38:04] | ♪ Parlez-vous ♪ | ♪ 你在说什么 ♪ |
[1:38:06] | ♪ Mademoiselle from Armentieres ♪ | ♪ 阿尔门蒂耶斯来的姑娘 ♪ |
[1:38:08] | ♪ Parlez-vous ♪ | ♪ 你在说什么 ♪ |
[1:38:10] | ♪ Many and many a married man ♪ | ♪ 那么多已婚的男人 ♪ |
[1:38:12] | ♪ Wants to go back to France again | ♪ 还希望再次回到法国 ♪ |
[1:38:14] | ♪ Hinky dinky, parlez-vous ♪ | ♪ 奇怪 你在说什么 ♪ |
[1:38:18] | ♪ Mademoiselle from Armentieres ♪ | ♪ 阿尔门蒂耶斯来的姑娘 ♪ |
[1:38:20] | ♪ Parlez-vous ♪ | ♪ 你在说什么 ♪ |
[1:38:22] | ♪ Mademoiselle from Armentieres ♪ | ♪ 阿尔门蒂耶斯来的姑娘 ♪ |
[1:38:24] | ♪ Parlez-vous ♪ | ♪ 你在说什么 ♪ |
[1:38:26] | ♪ Just blow your nose and dry your tears ♪ | ♪ 擤好鼻涕擦好泪 ♪ |
[1:38:28] | ♪ We’ll all be back in a few short years ♪ | ♪ 我们几年之后就会回来 ♪ |
[1:38:30] | ♪ Hinky dinky, parlez-vous ♪ | ♪ 奇怪 你在说什么 ♪ |
[1:38:35] | ♪ Mademoiselle from Armentieres ♪ | ♪ 阿尔门蒂耶斯来的姑娘 ♪ |
[1:38:37] | ♪ Parlez-vous ♪ | ♪ 你在说什么 ♪ |
[1:38:38] | ♪ Mademoiselle from Armentieres ♪ | ♪ 阿尔门蒂耶斯来的姑娘 ♪ |
[1:38:41] | ♪ Parlez-vous ♪ | ♪ 你在说什么 ♪ |
[1:38:42] | ♪ I fell in love with her at sight ♪ | ♪ 我对她一见钟情 ♪ |
[1:38:45] | ♪ And wet myself for half the night ♪ | ♪ 湿了半夜 ♪ |
[1:38:47] | ♪ Hinky dinky, parlez-vous ♪ | ♪ 奇怪 你在说什么 ♪ |
[1:38:51] | ♪ Mademoiselle from Armentieres ♪ | ♪ 阿尔门蒂耶斯来的姑娘 ♪ |
[1:38:53] | ♪ Parlez-vous ♪ | ♪ 你在说什么 ♪ |
[1:38:59] | ♪ You might forget the gas and shell ♪ | ♪ 你恐怕还忘了毒气和炮弹 ♪ |
[1:39:01] | ♪ You never forget the mademoiselle ♪ | ♪ 绝对不会忘记姑娘 ♪ |
[1:39:03] | ♪ Hinky dinky, parlez-vous ♪ | ♪ 奇怪 你在说什么 ♪ |
[1:39:07] | ♪ You might forget the gas and shell ♪ | ♪ 你恐怕还忘了毒气和炮弹 ♪ |
[1:39:09] | ♪ You’ll never forget the mademoiselle ♪ | ♪ 但绝对不会忘记姑娘 ♪ |
[1:39:12] | ♪ Hinky dinky, parlez-vous ♪ | ♪ 奇怪 你在说什么 ♪ |