时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:22] | Bottom, bring me a hammer and a cold chisel. | 宝特姆 把锤子和凿子拿来 |
[00:25] | This pie crust be so tough, pixie cobblers could use the crumbs | 这个馅饼太硬了 精灵鞋匠能用这碎屑 |
[00:28] | to fashion the fairies’ dancing shoes. | 装饰小精灵的舞鞋了 |
[00:31] | Could always try cooking a pie yourself, | 欢迎您自己做个馅饼试试 |
[00:33] | – Of course. – Yes, Bottom. | – 当然 – 是的 宝特姆 |
[00:34] | Or a third way would be | 或者第三种方法 |
[00:35] | for me to employ a servant whose skill set | 我雇一个技能与 |
[00:38] | comes slightly closer to matching their job description. | 实际工作内容更加相符一点的仆人 |
[00:41] | Let me bring you a sharper knife, Mr Shakespeare. | 给您把更锋利的小刀吧 莎士比亚先生 |
[00:44] | Hold, sirrah! Parry! Advance! Hold! | 别动 先生 闪避 前进 停下 |
[00:47] | Stage fighting is a key skill in the actor’s armoury. | 舞台打斗是演员各项技能中的关键 |
[00:51] | Hmm. Yes. For “Skill”, | 没错 这技能 |
[00:52] | read “Two mincing preeners slowly circling each other | 就是两个装腔作势的自恋狂 |
[00:56] | While occasionally hitting | 在偶尔的剑刃碰撞时 |
[00:57] | their swords together with a big clang.” | 缓缓地互相围着转圈 |
[01:00] | So exciting! | 激动人心啊 |
[01:02] | I know you long to play the ingenue | 我知道你渴望扮演我 |
[01:03] | in my still unfinished teen romance, | 未完成偶像剧里的无邪少女 |
[01:06] | but girls be banned from acting. | 但是女孩是被禁止演戏的 |
[01:08] | But it’s so obvious that | 但是显而易见 |
[01:10] | real girls would be better at playing girls. | 真正的女孩扮演女孩会更好 |
[01:13] | Yeah, cos that’s just really logical, isn’t it? | 是的 因为那样就更有逻辑了 不是吗 |
[01:16] | Um, yes. | 是的 |
[01:16] | Maybe you think we should get real kings to play the kings, | 可能你觉得我们应让真正的皇帝扮演皇帝 |
[01:19] | or real ancient Romans to play the ancient Romans. | 或者真正的古罗马人扮演古罗马人 |
[01:22] | That’s not quite the same. | 那不是一个意思 |
[01:23] | Or real witches to play the witches. | 或者真正的女巫扮演女巫 |
[01:25] | – I get what you are trying… – A real St George | – 我明白你想 – 真正的圣乔治参演 |
[01:27] | for St George and the dragon. | 圣乔治和龙 |
[01:29] | And a real dragon. | 还有真龙 |
[01:30] | Real armies for the battles. | 真正的军队参演战争 |
[01:32] | Real fairies for the enchanted woods. | 真正的精灵参演魔法森林 |
[01:34] | Theseus and the Minotaur… | 而特修斯与牛头人… |
[01:36] | Where are we going to find a Minotaur? | 你上哪弄个牛头人去 |
[01:38] | Yes, all right, Bottom, I get it. | 好了 好了 宝特姆 我明白了 |
[01:40] | And you know I’m right, too. | 那你也知道我是对的了 |
[01:41] | Besides which, a girl on stage | 除此以外 女孩在台上 |
[01:43] | would be nothing but a proslington and a whoreslap. | 无非就是淫词浪曲 |
[01:46] | Ha! Another brilliant argument, Bottom. | 哈 又一个天才的争论 宝特姆 |
[01:48] | Because delivering blank verse in the character of a dead queen | 因为扮演去世女王的角色所提供的 |
[01:51] | is obviously just code for, | 无韵诗显然只是 |
[01:53] | “Hello, ducks, I’ll fondle your | “你好 乖乖 四分之一便士 |
[01:54] | fandangles for a farthing.” | 我给你撸一管”的暗号 |
[01:58] | Dirty talk won’t win your argument. | 吵架讲脏话是没有用的 |
[02:01] | Finish your great teen romance, Mr Shakespeare. | 完成您的偶像剧吧 莎士比亚先生 |
[02:04] | Let me be your Juliet. | 让我来演朱丽叶吧 |
[02:06] | No, Kate. Quite apart from anything else, | 不行 撇开其他不说 |
[02:08] | I just don’t think the public wants to see a love story. | 我只是觉得公众不会想看到一个爱情故事 |
[02:12] | Certainly not one like your Two Gentlemen Of Verona, | 当然不能像你那个《维洛那二绅士》 |
[02:15] | where the hero brazenly cheats on the heroine | 男主角无耻地欺骗了女主角 |
[02:18] | and yet you have her marry the hornsome bastable anyway. | 你还让她嫁给了那个混账王八蛋 |
[02:21] | I needed a happy ending. | 我需要个圆满结局 |
[02:24] | Well, it might have been nice | 如果您能顺应情节和角色的发展 |
[02:25] | if it had developed out of plot and character | 而不是在最后胡编乱造 |
[02:28] | instead of simply being nailed on at the end. | 它应该会很圆满 |
[02:30] | I’ faith, the maid is right. | 我发誓 那女人是对的 |
[02:32] | I did just nail it on at the end. | 我的确在最后胡编乱造 |
[02:35] | I canst only hope that the verse with which I nailed it | 我只希望我胡编的那节诗能足够隐晦 |
[02:37] | be so obscure that future generations | 让后辈能相信 |
[02:40] | trusting in my genius, | 我天资聪慧 |
[02:41] | will just think they’re being stupid and have missed something. | 觉得只是他们笨蛋而错过了什么东西 |
[02:47] | Look, I’m sorry, Kate. | 听着 我很抱歉 凯特 |
[02:48] | I know you want to play Julian. – Juliet. | 我知道你想扮演朱丽安 – 朱丽叶 |
[02:51] | As I said, Juliet. | 如我所说 朱丽叶 |
[02:53] | And I would love to see the play performed, | 我也很乐意看到这场演出 |
[02:55] | but, as you know, it’s a work in progress. | 但是 你懂得 剧本永远都在写 |
[02:58] | I’ve got my double-death ending, | 已经有个男女主角一起死的结局 |
[03:00] | but much else remains unwrit. | 但是还有很多别的没写 |
[03:02] | For instance, I need a lot more lines for the amusing nurse. | 比如说 那个讨喜的护士需要更多的台词 |
[03:05] | No! Don’t do it, master. | 不 别那样做 大人 |
[03:07] | Less lines, trust me. Kate read me a bit. | 少点台词 相信我 凯特给我读了点 |
[03:10] | The nurse really gets on my nerves. | 那个护士让我神经紧张 |
[03:12] | She could be getting a teeny bit irritating | 她没完的叽叽歪歪 |
[03:14] | with her endless clucky-duckiness, Mr Shakespeare. | 有点让人生厌 莎士比亚先生 |
[03:17] | Which is why she needs more lines. | 所以她需要更多的台词 |
[03:19] | You know my rule. If you’re in a comedy hole, keep digging. | 你懂我的 抓住一个笑点玩命挖掘 |
[03:23] | I’m not going to do it now. | 我现在不会那样做 |
[03:25] | It’s a romance, and I can’t risk | 它是偶像剧 我不能随便安排 |
[03:27] | a kissy-wissy, | 一些亲亲抱抱 |
[03:28] | gropey-pokey load of soply old | 然后上下其手 颠鸾倒凤的 |
[03:30] | mushington right now. | 老掉牙桥段来毁了我的戏 |
[03:32] | My next play must be a smasheroo. You know my dream. | 我的下部戏必会是轰动 你清楚我的梦想 |
[03:35] | To be recognised now and for all time | 作为有史以来不置可否的 |
[03:37] | as indisputably the greatest writer that ever lived, | 最伟大作家永垂不朽 |
[03:40] | and to buy the second-biggest house in Stratford. | 在斯特拉特福德买套第二大的房子 |
[03:43] | Exactly. That’s it in a nutshell. | 没错 简言之 就是那样 |
[03:46] | In a nutshell? What does that mean? | “在坚果壳里” 那是什么意思 |
[03:47] | Oh, ’tis one of the numerous inspired phrases | 那时我平时杜撰的 |
[03:50] | which I am wont to coin | 无数即兴短语之一 |
[03:53] | and which I’m confident will enter the common idiom. | 我确信它会成为常用习语 |
[03:55] | Well, good luck with “In a nutshell”, | 好吧 祝”在坚果壳里”好运 |
[03:58] | cos I think it’s stupid. | 因为我觉得它很蠢 |
[03:59] | I mean, you couldn’t | 我是说 坚果壳里根本 |
[04:00] | really get anything at all inside a nutshell, | 里什么都放不进去 |
[04:02] | cos they are very, very small… | 因为它们非常非常小 |
[04:04] | and also full of nut. | 还装满了坚果 |
[04:07] | The clue is in the name. | 看字面就知道 |
[04:09] | Your observations, Bottom, are… neither here nor there. | 你的洞察力 宝特姆 一无是处 |
[04:13] | – Is that another one? – Yes, just invented it. | – 另一个短语 – 对 刚想出来的 |
[04:15] | When it comes to language, the world’s mine oyster. | 要说会讲话 这世上其他人跟我比都算哑巴 |
[04:21] | In fact, I’m so clever, I could end up with… | 实际上 我这么聪明 我能以太 |
[04:24] | too much of a good thing. | 多美好收尾 |
[04:25] | – Maybe you should stop now. – Can’t. | – 或者你该歇歇了 – 停不下来 |
[04:27] | They just pop up all of a sudden, | 它们就是忽然浮现脑海 |
[04:29] | but give the devil his due, | 但平心而论 |
[04:31] | there’s method in my madness. | 我的疯狂是有技巧的 |
[04:33] | – Really, stop it. – Why? | – 真的 住口吧 – 为什么 |
[04:35] | ‘Tis a foregone conclusion that they’ll leave you bedazzled | 毫无疑问 它们会让您眼花缭乱 |
[04:39] | and in stitches | 如坐针毡 |
[04:40] | and before long you’ll be demanding more with bated breath. | 不久以后你会感到呼吸愈加困难 |
[04:44] | The world’s your oyster? | 世界就是您的牡蛎 |
[04:45] | Why would that be a good thing? | 为什么那是好事 |
[04:47] | Tad obscure. What the dickens? I’ll spoil my spotless reputation. | 有些隐晦 管他呢 我要破坏我清白的名声 |
[04:52] | Must be tired. I didn’t… sleep one wink. | 累了吧 我眼都没眨过 |
[04:55] | If I’m not careful, you’ll send me packing on a wild goose chase | 如果我不小心 你会让我瞎忙活一通 |
[04:59] | and I’ll vanish into thin air or be dead as a doornail. | 然后人间蒸发或者死翘翘 |
[05:03] | Stop it! | 闭嘴 |
[05:04] | I really mean it. | 我认真的 |
[05:06] | You’re very clever, Mr Shakespeare, | 您非常聪明 莎士比亚先生 |
[05:07] | but you can be an awful show-off. | 但却是个糟糕的炫耀者 |
[05:09] | But with… A heart of gold. | 但是有优良的品德 |
[05:10] | No! Just a show-off! | 没有 就是爱炫 |
[05:13] | Aye, there’s the rub. | 啊 问题就在这里 |
[05:14] | Stop it! | 闭嘴 |
[05:16] | And actually, I happen to know you didn’t originate the phrase | 实际上 我碰巧知道 “死翘翘” |
[05:19] | – “Dead as a doornail”. – I bloomin’ did. | – 并不是源自您 – 就是我 |
[05:21] | You bloomin’ didn’t. William Langland did | 不是您 是威廉·朗格兰在他的 |
[05:23] | in his Middle English allegorical narrative poem Piers Plowman. | 中古英语寓言叙事诗农夫皮尔斯里编造的 |
[05:28] | I’ faith, the bothersome girl is right. | 恐怕 被这个麻烦的小妞儿说中了 |
[05:31] | Filched have I some of my finest phrases from prior sources | 我最得意的词句是从前人的作品和习惯用语中 |
[05:34] | and common usage. | 借鉴过来的 |
[05:36] | I can only hope that as years go by, | 我只能期盼随着时间的迁移 |
[05:38] | the original derivation will fade from memory… | 最初的来源会淡出大众的记忆 |
[05:41] | .. and I’ll get all the credit. | 这样我就能独揽功劳了 |
[05:44] | But never mind Langland. | 别管郎格兰了 |
[05:45] | We were talking about you writing a new play. | 我们刚说到你要写一部新剧 |
[05:48] | Yes, well, I’m sorry, | 是的 抱歉 但我不打算写 |
[05:49] | but it’s not going to be my teen romance. | 年轻人那些情情爱爱的事 |
[05:51] | I need to design a hit. | 我需要设计一个卖点 |
[05:53] | Women love theatre, | 女人都喜欢看戏剧 |
[05:55] | so of course I must write a heroine that will appeal to them. | 所以我要创作一个能引起她们共鸣的女主角 |
[05:58] | – Gutsy. – I like that. | – 感情丰沛 – 我喜欢 |
[06:00] | – Tough and independent. – Love that. | – 坚强又独立 – 爱死了 |
[06:02] | – Witty and headstrong. – Feisty! | – 聪慧又倔强 – 剽悍 |
[06:06] | Feisty, Kate? I know not what you mean. | 剽悍 凯特 我不懂你在说什么 |
[06:08] | Be it a foreign term? | 这是个外来词吗 |
[06:09] | No. | 不 |
[06:10] | I’m doing what you do, creating a new word “feisty” | 我在模仿你 创造新词 剽悍 |
[06:14] | to refer to a gutsy, independent, headstrong woman. | 用来形容感情丰富 独立又倔强的女性 |
[06:18] | Hmm. Not sure. | 马马虎虎吧 |
[06:21] | It’s brilliant. | 这词太棒了 |
[06:23] | In fact, I’m a bit worried it’ll end up getting overused | 甚至 我还有点担心会不会被滥用 |
[06:26] | to the point of banality, | 最终变成陈词滥调了 |
[06:27] | eventually being appropriated by any loudmouth harridan who seeks | 到时候哪个母夜叉都能用这个词 |
[06:30] | to lend an empowering gloss | 来粉饰自己 其实内里不过 |
[06:32] | to being a gobby bitchslap. | 是个口活不错的婊子 |
[06:37] | Hmm. Perhaps best leave new words to me, Kate, | 造新词的活儿最好还是留给我干吧 凯特 |
[06:39] | because “Feisty” Just ain’t going to fly. | 因为”剽悍”这种词是火不起来的 |
[06:43] | However she is referred to, you are going to create | 不管怎么说 你要创作一个 |
[06:46] | a strong woman who is both strong and a woman… bravo! | 一个既强大而且又是女人的女性角色 太好了 |
[06:50] | Yes. And then I’m going to crush, abuse and humiliate her. | 没错 而且我将要打压她 虐待她 羞辱她 |
[06:55] | Crush, abuse? But why? | 打压 虐待 为什么 |
[06:57] | Because while women may love the theatre, | 因为尽管女人喜欢看戏剧 |
[06:59] | ’tis men who pay for entry. | 却是男人负责给的票钱 |
[07:01] | And thus have I in mind a sort of battle of the sexes, | 所以我脑子里想的是来一场雌雄争霸 |
[07:04] | where a strong woman is tamed by a man. | 而结果就是这个强悍的女人被男人驯服了 |
[07:08] | I have no words. | 我竟无言以对 |
[07:09] | Yes, well, luckily, Kate, that’s my job. | 还好啦 凯特 我就是干这个的 |
[07:15] | I have come to see you, Mistress Lucy, | 我是来找你的 露西小姐 |
[07:17] | because you are a strong woman. | 因为你是一位强大的女性 |
[07:19] | You have independence, your own business. | 你独立自强 还有自己的小生意 |
[07:22] | How did you do it? | 你是怎么做到的 |
[07:24] | I cut off the penis of the cur who enslaved me, | 我把那个奴役我的杂种的老二剪了下来 |
[07:26] | stole his gold, jumped ship at | 偷了他的金子 在蒂尔伯里逃上了船 |
[07:28] | Tilbury and bought a pub. | 来到这里买下了酒馆 |
[07:29] | I’m not sure any of that will help me get onto the stage. | 恐怕没有哪一点能有助我上台演戏 |
[07:32] | Pah! Lady acting is against the law, | 女性上台演戏是违法的 |
[07:34] | Kate, because the law hates women. | 凯特 因为法律讨厌女性 |
[07:36] | Your only hope is to do | 你唯一的希望就是 |
[07:38] | as I did… use a man to get what you need. | 像我这样 利用男人来得到你想要的 |
[07:41] | Oh, ho! Will Shakespeare is your friend. | 哎哟 威廉·莎士比亚是你的朋友呢 |
[07:45] | Why, you think I should | 怎么 你觉得我应该 |
[07:46] | – Cut off Mr Shakespeare’s penis? – No, no, no. | – 剪掉莎士比亚先生的老二 – 不不不 |
[07:49] | Just get him to help you. | 让他帮你就行了 |
[07:50] | Persuade him to write a sublime female lead and convince him | 说服他写一个高尚的女性角色 并且让他相信 |
[07:54] | that only you can play it. | 只有你才能演好这个角色 |
[07:56] | Oh, yes. But how? | 说得对 但要怎么做 |
[07:58] | Ah, ah, eh, eh, Kate. | 哎哟哟 凯特 |
[08:00] | You are a woman. | 你可是个女人 |
[08:02] | A woman has special skills to move a man. | 女人总有特别的办法来说动男人 |
[08:05] | Wait, you think I should embroider him a cushion cover? | 等等 你觉得我应该给他绣一个坐垫套子 |
[08:09] | I suppose it might work. | 我看能行 |
[08:14] | Home am I, wife. | 我回来了 夫人 |
[08:15] | Let joy be unbounded. Father is returned. | 尽情欢呼吧 为父回来了 |
[08:19] | Good journey, love? | 旅途还愉快吗 亲爱的 |
[08:20] | Well, it’s funny you should say that, Anne, | 应该算是有趣吧 安 |
[08:23] | because you know how up until | 你怎么就确定直到现在 |
[08:25] | now I have never, ever had a good journey? | 我都不曾有过一次愉快的旅行呢 |
[08:27] | Yes. | 说得对 |
[08:29] | Well, amazingly… | 好吧 惊奇的是 |
[08:30] | .. I still haven’t. | 我还真没有过 |
[08:34] | I had to stand the whole way. | 我全程都要站着 |
[08:38] | Two days with my face in the armpit of a man | 这两天我的脸都朝着别人的腋窝 |
[08:41] | who appeared to be actually sweating urine. | 那人汗腺里流出来的一定是尿 |
[08:47] | I am knackmangled. | 我都快臭晕了 |
[08:49] | Susanna, bring ale and pie. | 苏珊娜 拿酒和馅饼来 |
[08:50] | Get it yourself! Leave me alone. | 你自己去拿 别理我 |
[08:52] | I want to die. Shut up! | 我想死的心都有了 闭嘴 |
[08:55] | Don’t mind her, Will. She is a bit more sensitive than usual. | 别在意她 威廉 她比平常时候更敏感了一些 |
[09:01] | She hath taken up that burden which every woman must carry | 她正承受着作为女人每个月 |
[09:05] | at the journey of each moon. | 都必须承受的痛苦 |
[09:07] | Oh, I see. | 我懂了 |
[09:10] | – Mum says you’ve started your periods, Sue. – Shut up! | – 你妈说你大姨妈来了 苏 – 闭嘴 |
[09:14] | What? What did I say? | 怎么了 我说错什么了 |
[09:18] | God’s bouncing boobingtons, husband! | 我滴个亲娘啊 夫君 |
[09:22] | For a bloke who reckons himself to be the world’s greatest poet, | 作为一个自翊世界上最伟大的诗人的家伙来说 |
[09:24] | you’ve got about as much tact and sensitivity | 你的看人眼色的能力和敏感度真是 |
[09:27] | as Mrs Moo-Moo’s flatumungous arsington! | 和穆穆夫人家的傻子不相上下 |
[09:32] | She’s not talking about Susanna’s women’s business, anyway. | 总之 她不是说苏珊娜女人的那档子事 |
[09:36] | It’s her character. The girl is totally out of control. | 是说她的性格 这妞儿太不一般了 |
[09:39] | She is so gutsy and headstrong. | 感情丰富而且倔强 |
[09:42] | Feisty. | 很剽悍 |
[09:44] | Oh, that’s a really good word. A new one of yours? | 真是个不错的词 是你新创的吗 |
[09:48] | Yes. | 没错 |
[09:51] | Just trying it out. | 正试着用用看 |
[09:53] | Well, she is feisty all right. | 好吧 她确实很剽悍 |
[09:56] | And ’tis is not a goodling look for a maid. | 但这对一个黄花闺女来说可不是什么好事 |
[09:58] | You should never have taught her to read. | 你就不应该教她读书识字 |
[10:01] | Women aren’t supposed to be all sophisticated like us men. | 女人没必要像我们男人这样博学多才 |
[10:09] | And the thing is | 重点是 |
[10:11] | our Judith be so sweet | 我们家朱迪斯长得可爱 |
[10:12] | and kind that all do love her, | 人又亲切 大家都喜爱她 |
[10:14] | and it would be awful if | 要是朱迪斯嫁出去了 |
[10:15] | Judith were married and Sue left an old maid. | 而苏留下来当个老处女 那就糟糕了 |
[10:18] | Life is dangerous for a single woman, | 对于单身女人来说 生活太不容易了 |
[10:20] | particularly a clever one. | 尤其是聪明的女人 |
[10:22] | They be suspected of being witches. | 她们可是会被当成女巫的 |
[10:24] | Because most of them are witches. | 因为她们大多数确实是女巫 |
[10:27] | Sue will need a husband. | 苏需要找个丈夫 |
[10:30] | But who will have the feisty little bitchington? | 但谁愿意收了这个剽悍小婊砸呢 |
[10:33] | I am still here, you know! | 我人还在这呢 你们看不见嘛 |
[10:35] | Well, what about this for an idea? | 要不 这样行不行 |
[10:37] | If Judith be so pretty and popular | 要是朱迪斯又漂亮又受欢迎 |
[10:40] | and Sue such a feisty little bitchington… | 而苏却是个剽悍的小婊砸的话 |
[10:44] | .. then why do not I, a stern father, | 要不我 作为一位严父 |
[10:46] | announce that any young knave | 宣布哪个年轻小伙想要获取 |
[10:48] | who doth tip his cap to our Judy | 我们家朱迪的芳心的话 |
[10:49] | must first find another who will take our Sue? | 就必须先找到一个愿意迎娶苏的人 |
[10:52] | Will, all the world is not a stage | 威廉 现实世界可不是戏剧舞台 |
[10:56] | and all the men and women ain’t merely players. | 现实中的男男女女也不是戏子 |
[11:00] | Bit of a tortured image, my love. | 这话说得有点狠了 亲爱的 |
[11:04] | Setting Sue up through Judy might work in one of your comedies, | 通过朱迪给苏找对象或许在你的喜剧里行得通 |
[11:08] | but it won’t work in the real world. | 但是在现实生活里可不行 |
[11:10] | You’re right. You are absolutely right. And it’s brilliant. | 你说得对 你说得太对了 这想法太棒了 |
[11:15] | Brilliant? I’ve just said your stupid plan | 棒 我是在说你那馊主意 |
[11:18] | won’t stop Sue ending up isolated, pitied, despised | 并不能阻止苏孤独终老 被人同情 遭人白眼 |
[11:21] | and endangered for life. | 一辈子当个异类啊 |
[11:23] | Yes, but you also said that it would work in a comedy, | 对 但是你提醒了我 这是喜剧情节 |
[11:26] | and it absolutely would. | 那我就让它在喜剧里发生 |
[11:31] | I am sorry, Mr Greene. | 抱歉 格林先生 |
[11:32] | I know you are anxious to see staged | 我知道您迫切希望 |
[11:34] | a revival of your Bungay And Bacon. | 邦吉与培根重新登上舞台 |
[11:36] | Bacon And Bungay. | 是培根与邦吉 |
[11:38] | But we await a new play by Mr Shakespeare. | 但我们期待的是莎士比亚先生的新作 |
[11:40] | Shakespeare? Shakespeare! | 莎士比亚 莎士比亚 |
[11:43] | Ever doth the upstart Crow peck at my botty buttocks. | 你这乳臭未干的臭小子 还想来我这分一杯羹 |
[11:46] | Curse him for his feverish fertility, | 写剧本比母鸡下蛋还快 凭这个就想咒你 |
[11:49] | but I will finish him yet. | 我迟早要把你干掉 |
[11:51] | Remember, sir, but I am Master of Revels. | 记住 先生 我才是喜剧界的王者 |
[11:55] | Perchance when the oafish bum-snot delivers his play, | 恐怕那个笨拙的可怜虫拿出的新作品 |
[11:59] | I will find excuse to deny it license. | 会被我封杀 |
[12:03] | You overstep yourself, Mr Greene. | 格林先生 您这样就过分了 |
[12:06] | I am London’s leading actor-manager | 我是伦敦数一数二的演员和出品人 |
[12:08] | and not without friends. | 绝非孤立无援 |
[12:09] | Unless William’s new play be actual treason, | 除非威廉的新剧辜负我们的期望 |
[12:12] | I will see you hanged before ’tis denied license! | 我保证 你下手封杀之前就会被我弄死 |
[12:16] | You actors think yourself so special, | 你们演员啊 总觉得自己有多了不起 |
[12:19] | do you not, Mr Burbage? | 是吧 伯比奇先生 |
[12:21] | You likewise, Mr Condell! | 还有你 康德尔先生 |
[12:23] | And me. I’m mad special. | 还有我 厉害得不要不要的 |
[12:25] | You flatter yourself that | 自以为是 |
[12:26] | you have social and political influence. | 真以为你们能影响社会 影响政局 |
[12:28] | Well, ha! | 呵呵呵呵 |
[12:31] | You would do better to remember that you are naught | 别忘了 你们不过是戏子 |
[12:33] | but preening lovey-kissies, | 与浓妆艳抹 倚门卖俏 |
[12:35] | puffed-up, strutty, shouty boys | 的风尘女子无异 |
[12:38] | who people actually find quite irritating. | 根本就是一群令人生厌的人 |
[12:42] | Do not make an enemy of me, sirrah. Good day. | 小子 别跟我做对 告辞 |
[12:48] | Puffed-up, strutty, shouty boys?! | 浓妆艳抹 倚门卖俏 |
[12:51] | Preening lovey-kissies? Outrageous slur! | 风尘女子 多么狠毒的诽谤 |
[12:53] | Well, you two are a bit. | 是有点像你们俩 |
[12:56] | Shut up, Kempe. Of course actors are special and influential. | 闭嘴 肯佩 演员当然了不起 当然有影响力 |
[12:59] | Hugely special and influential. | 非常了不起 非常有影响力 |
[13:01] | – Mad special and influential. – Yes, it’s a great burden, | – 了不起得不要不要的 – 没错 |
[13:04] | a deep responsibility. | 任重而道远 |
[13:05] | I feel it very deeply. | 我十分赞同 |
[13:07] | Yes. We have a duty to use our influence for good. | 我们有责任让这影响力好好发挥作用 |
[13:09] | To point out, for instance, that poverty is horrid. | 比如 指出贫穷之可怖 |
[13:12] | And that cruelty is cruel. | 暴行之残酷 |
[13:14] | Absolutely. | 正是 |
[13:15] | Actors have an enormous responsibility to point out | 演员肩负重任 |
[13:18] | that poverty is horrid and cruelty is cruel. | 需指出贫穷之可怖 暴行之残酷 |
[13:21] | Cos otherwise, who’d know? | 演员不说 谁能想到 |
[13:23] | I doubt it would occur to people. | 我真觉得没人想得到 |
[13:25] | Of course it wouldn’t. | 当然没人想得到 |
[13:28] | – So, we are in Padua, right? – Where’s that? – Dunno. | – 在帕多瓦- 那是哪儿 – 不知道 |
[13:31] | Italy, I think, but I may have made it up. | 意大利吧 也可能是我的脑子编的 |
[13:34] | I left school at 14. | 我十四岁就辍学了 |
[13:35] | I don’t do geographical detail. | 地理我学得不精 |
[13:37] | You should watch that, Will. | 你可得小心了 威廉 很久很久以后 |
[13:39] | Centuries after you’re gone, | 你离开这个世界之后 |
[13:40] | people may use it to claim you were too thick | 人们可能会因为这个 |
[13:42] | to have written your own plays. | 觉得你的剧本不是你自己写的 |
[13:45] | Don’t be absurd, Kit. | 别瞎说了 吉特 |
[13:47] | The idea that I never wrote my plays could only appeal | 只有失意的妄想家才会有这种天真的想法 |
[13:50] | to the sort of naive fact-adverse fantasist who claims | 觉得我的剧不是我自己写的 |
[13:53] | that the monks sacked their own monasteries | 他们还觉得那拨道士是为了让亨利三世难看 |
[13:55] | to make Henry VIII look bad | 把自己的修道院砸了的呢 |
[13:57] | and that man never walked on the New World. | 他们还觉得那人从来没走上过新大陆呢 |
[14:01] | I don’t believe he did. | 我觉得他没有 |
[14:03] | I think Raleigh faked the potato in a garden shed in Catford | 我觉得罗利是在卡特福德的一个花园里 |
[14:06] | by crossing… | 杂交了大头菜和萝卜 |
[14:08] | .. by crossing a turnip with a radish. | 弄出了土豆 |
[14:11] | Then you are an insane, conspiracy-mad coatspotter | 你个疯疯癫癫 脑袋不灵光的下等人 |
[14:14] | and I can only thank benign Providence | 幸而你这样的无知者 |
[14:16] | that ignoramuses like you will never wield political influence. | 永远没有机会手握重权 感谢上苍 |
[14:22] | So, we are in Padua and Lucentio wants to marry Bianca… | 好的 在帕多瓦的路森修想要娶比安卡 |
[14:27] | beautiful, sweet, obedient and, of course, | 美丽 善良 忠诚 |
[14:30] | as hot and steaming as a fresh | 当然 也像草场上一坨新鲜的牛粪一样 |
[14:33] | cowpat in a frosty meadow. | 火辣得让人喘不过气 |
[14:36] | – I must say, I like her. – My kind of girl. | – 我喜欢 – 是我的菜 |
[14:38] | You don’t think it might | 你不觉得给这个形象 |
[14:39] | be nice to give her a few tiny extra elements? | 加点别的小细节 会更好一些吗 |
[14:41] | – What elements did you have in mind, Kate? – I don’t know. | – 你说什么样的小细节 凯特 – 不懂 |
[14:44] | A character, maybe? A personality. | 丰富一下性格 人格之类的 |
[14:46] | Kate, you weren’t listening. | 凯特 你没在听我说 |
[14:48] | I told you. She is mild, sweet, obedient and hot. | 我说过了 她温和善良忠实 而且身材火辣 |
[14:51] | How much character and personality do you want? | 你还想 想加什么性格和人格 |
[14:54] | I must say, you are on to a winner here, mate. | 伙计 不得不说你这把要大获全胜了 |
[14:56] | Cool Lucentio falls for | 潇洒的路森修爱上了热辣的 |
[14:58] | hot Bianca and marries her. | 比安卡最后娶她为妻 |
[14:59] | Perfect plot, job done. Let’s go to the pub. | 完美的剧情 大功告成 走吧 喝酒去 |
[15:01] | Oh, but I’m not finished. That’s not all of it. | 可是我还没讲完呢 这不是故事的全部 |
[15:03] | You’ve got enough. Quit while you’re ahead. | 已经够了 见好就收 |
[15:05] | That’s what I keep saying. | 我和你说过很多次了 |
[15:06] | You do this all the time. | 你老是 “这样” |
[15:08] | Overcomplicate things. | 把事情变得太复杂 |
[15:09] | You’ve come up with a perfectly nice plot of boy meets girl, | 你每次想到男主遇到女主 |
[15:12] | boy gets girl, | 得到女主的完美剧情 |
[15:13] | and then you ruin it with all your usual rubbish | 都要再加点狗屁不通的桥段把它毁掉 |
[15:15] | of mistaken identities, absurd coincidences, | 什么认错自己丈夫啦 荒唐的巧合啦 |
[15:18] | supernatural interventions. | 还有超自然现象 |
[15:20] | People not recognising their own lovers | 爱人带上薄薄的面具 |
[15:22] | cos they are wearing tiny, tiny masks. | 他们就认不出来了 |
[15:26] | It’s just daft. | 太傻了 |
[15:28] | Actually, I think Mr Shakespeare’s | 其实 我觉得莎士比亚先生的 |
[15:30] | plot be already too complex. | 剧情已经太复杂了 |
[15:31] | Really, Kate? How so? I’ve scarce begun it. | 是吗 凯特 怎么说 我明明才刚刚开始讲 |
[15:34] | Well, boy meets girl, boy gets girl. | 男主遇到女主 男主得到女主 |
[15:37] | Why not just say boy owns girl | 你为什么不直接说从男主拥有女主 |
[15:39] | and leave it at that? | 让剧情从这里开始 |
[15:40] | Perhaps displaying your | 或许你可以让你的女主角 |
[15:41] | leading lady alluringly clad and in a cage? | 穿上妩媚动人的衣服 躺在男主角的笼子里 |
[15:44] | Actually, that’s not a bad idea. | 这主意还不赖 |
[15:47] | Look, I don’t need a new idea, | 听着 我不需要什么新的主意 |
[15:49] | or a new plot, complex or otherwise. | 或者新的情节 复杂也好不复杂也罢 |
[15:51] | I’ve got a plot and it’s brilliant. Lucentio loves Bianca. | 我有一个完美的设定 路森修爱比安卡 |
[15:55] | But Bianca has a sister, | 但是比安卡有个姐姐 |
[15:56] | Katherine, who be all that Bianca is not. | 凯瑟琳 与比安卡完全相反 |
[15:59] | She be bold, assertive, opinionated, feisty. | 她大胆 好斗 坚定自信 有时固执己见 |
[16:03] | Can I play her?! | 我能演她吗 |
[16:04] | No, Kate. | 不行 凯特 |
[16:06] | So, of course, no-one would dream of marrying her. | 理所当然 没人想娶她 |
[16:09] | Well, obviously. You’d have to be insane. | 当然 除非是个疯子 |
[16:10] | Thus, Bianca and Katherine’s dad declares | 然而 比安卡和凯瑟琳的父亲宣称 |
[16:13] | that none may marry sweet Bianca | 想要娶善良的比安卡 |
[16:15] | until he has off-loaded bolingbroke-busting Katherine. | 就必须先想办法把凯瑟琳给嫁出去 |
[16:20] | Now this is good. | 这就有意思了 |
[16:21] | Enter Lucentio’s pal Petruchio, | 路森修的哥们派楚丘上场 |
[16:24] | a charming but feckless fellow. | 这是个迷人但有些窝囊的小伙 |
[16:26] | Loving him already. | 已经爱上他了 |
[16:27] | He needs a fortune and he doesn’t care who he marries to get it. | 他需要一个发家的机会 并不在意娶的是谁 |
[16:30] | What a rogue. My kind of guy. | 就喜欢这种无赖 |
[16:32] | He offers to take Katherine | 他要了凯瑟琳 |
[16:34] | and commences to break her spirit by starving her, | 并开始改造重塑她的人格 他不让她吃东西 |
[16:38] | refusing her clothing and depriving her of sleep for days on end. | 不让她穿衣服 还成日成夜地不让她睡觉 |
[16:43] | That’s perfect! | 完美 |
[16:46] | And does Katherine cut this pervert’s throat in the night | 凯瑟琳是不是在夜里用一把带锈的刀 |
[16:49] | with a rusty knife? | 划开了这个变态的喉咙 |
[16:50] | No. She allows herself to be happily broken | 没有 她欣然接受了改造 |
[16:53] | and is soon hilariously | 很快 丈夫说什么 |
[16:55] | agreeing with everything her husband says. | 她都滑稽夸张地点头 |
[16:57] | I have a lot of fun with that. | 我从中得到了许多乐趣 |
[16:59] | Driven to a compliance bordering on dementia, | 被驯服到临界于痴呆的顺从 |
[17:03] | Katherine accepts that the sun is the moon | 凯瑟琳承认了那太阳其实是月亮 |
[17:07] | and that an old man is a beautiful young maiden. | 那老人其实是美丽的少女 |
[17:11] | That’s going to get a big laugh, that. | 那会是个大笑料的 |
[17:13] | Bossy bird goes raving tonto. Love it! | 悍妇变成了满口胡话的傻瓜 大爱这剧情 |
[17:15] | I’m chuckling already. | 我已经要笑死了 |
[17:17] | Anyway, Lucentio marries | 无论如何 路森修娶了比安卡 |
[17:19] | Bianca and Katherine marries Petruchio, | 凯瑟琳嫁给了派楚丘 |
[17:20] | and at the wedding, the reformed harridan | 而且在婚礼上 改头换面的悍妇 |
[17:23] | delivers a lengthy monologue about | 说了一段很长的独白 |
[17:24] | women being obedient to men. | 讲述女人要对男人唯命是从 |
[17:26] | What, there’s even a moral? | 什么 还有道德说教 |
[17:28] | I don’t know how you do it, Will. | 真不知道你是怎么想到这些的 威廉 |
[17:30] | Yeah, I’ve got to say, it’s a winner. | 对 我得说 这部戏会火爆的 |
[17:32] | It’ll be your most popular comedy yet. | 它会成为你至今为止最受欢迎的戏剧 |
[17:34] | Mr Shakespeare, please, do not write this appalling story. | 莎士比亚先生 拜托 不要写这个骇人的故事 |
[17:38] | Too late. | 太晚了 |
[17:39] | Did it on the coach from Stratters. | 我在从酒馆来的路上已经写好了 |
[17:40] | Burbage has it now. | 已经在伯比奇手上 |
[17:41] | It’s called The Taming Of The Shrew. | 它叫《驯悍记》 |
[17:44] | Oh! Best title ever. End of! | 哦 有史以来最好的书名 完毕 |
[17:48] | I have invented a new phrase, | 我创造了一个新词 |
[17:50] | Mr Shakespeare, especially for you. | 莎士比亚先生 专门为你所创 |
[17:51] | Really, Kate? That’s very flattering. | 真的吗 凯特 真是受宠若惊 |
[17:53] | – Yes, it is. | 是的 没错 |
[17:54] | For you are strong, as if made from chain, | 因为你的强健 好像由铁链打造一般 |
[17:57] | exciting, like a pageant. | 激动人心 好像庆典一般 |
[17:59] | You have risen up from nowhere, as if a city on water. | 你从无名到崛起 脱颖而出 像一座水上之城 |
[18:03] | You are a guiding light and the very heart of a man. | 你是导航明灯 也是人之本心 |
[18:07] | Your words move me, sweet Kate, | 你的话真让我感动 亲爱的凯特 |
[18:09] | but I would fain know their meaning. | 但是我非常乐意知道那些是什么意思 |
[18:10] | Why, mail is made from chain, a pageant is a show. | 为何 盔甲由链子链接而成 庆典实则是表演 |
[18:15] | The city on water be naught but Venice. | 水上之城除了威尼斯都毫无意义 |
[18:18] | The light that guides is | 导航明灯是颗明星 |
[18:19] | a star and the heart of a man is his soul. | 而人之本心则是他的灵魂 |
[18:23] | Put them all together and you get… | 把他们结合到一起 你会得到 |
[18:25] | Male chau-venist… ar-se… hole. | 大男子主义的混蛋 |
[18:33] | I’ll leave it with you. | 你自己想想吧 |
[18:39] | Come, come, you wasp. I’ faith, you are too angry. | 来吧 来吧 你这只黄蜂 我想你太生气了 |
[18:42] | If I be waspish, best beware my sting. | 如果我像只黄蜂 那么你最好小心我的刺 |
[18:45] | Who knows not where a wasp does wear his sting? | 谁不知道黄蜂哪里有刺 |
[18:48] | In his tail! | 在它的尾部 |
[18:49] | In his tongue! | 在它的舌尖 |
[18:51] | – Oh, I do think this is good. – Yes. | – 哦 我觉得这太棒了 – 没错 |
[18:55] | It’s his funniest thing yet. | 这是他最好笑的作品了 |
[18:56] | Which is an insult to the person of Her Majesty! | 而这也是对女王殿下的侮辱 |
[19:00] | An insult to the Queen? How be insulting, sirrah? | 对女王的侮辱 怎么会是侮辱 小子 |
[19:03] | Why, by speaking ill of her sex, | 为何 因为说了女性性别的坏话 |
[19:06] | ’tis very treason. | 这犯了叛国罪 |
[19:07] | I shall not even offer it up for her consideration. | 我甚至不会像她提起这部戏以供参考 |
[19:12] | This be not fair, Mr Greene. | 这不公平 格林先生 |
[19:14] | The piece is a harmless comedy, and you know it. | 这是一部无害的戏剧 你心知肚明 |
[19:17] | You overstep your authority, sirrah. | 你这是在滥用职权 先生 |
[19:22] | I think you know what to do. | 我想你知道该怎么做了 |
[19:24] | Bacon And Bungay. | 《修士培根与修士邦吉》 |
[19:26] | Good day. | 日安 |
[19:29] | Ah, morrow, Kate. Will home? | 呃 早上好凯特 威廉在家吗 |
[19:31] | He has gone back to Stratford, Mr Marlowe. | 他回斯特拉福德了 马洛先生 |
[19:33] | Oh, shame. Now his Shrew is in rehearsal, | 哦 真可惜 现在他的《驯悍记》在排演之中 |
[19:35] | I was going to have another stab at persuading him | 我要再次采取行动去说服他 |
[19:37] | to give me his Edward II? | 把他的《爱德华二世》给我 |
[19:38] | He may need it himself. | 也许他自己还需要 |
[19:40] | Mr Greene refuses to show his awful, | 格林拒绝让他那部恶劣的 |
[19:42] | abusive play to Her Majesty | 有毁谤色彩的剧为女王演出 |
[19:44] | for fear of offending her with its dreadful attitude to women. | 因为害怕会因为对女性的恶劣态度而冒犯到她 |
[19:48] | That bastable will use any excuse. | 那个捣乱鬼会用任何理由反对他的 |
[19:50] | It seems to me that Mr Greene has done Mr Shakespeare a favour, | 在我看来 格林先生倒是帮了莎士比亚先生 |
[19:54] | for Gloriana is a proud member of her sex, | 因为格罗丽亚娜以她的性别为荣 |
[19:57] | and her wrath to see women so offended | 她看到女性受到如此冒犯 |
[19:59] | might have been terrible. | 那怒火也许是很可怕的 |
[20:01] | You think? Not sure. | 你这样认为么 我不确定 |
[20:04] | Perchance you don’t know much about women, Mr Marlowe. | 也许你不怎么了解女人 马洛先生 |
[20:06] | Er, kind of do. Particularly queens. | 呃 差不多是吧 尤其是女王 |
[20:09] | Especially Ginger Liz. | 尤其是红发莉斯 |
[20:13] | Well, my love, all is not lost. | 好吧 亲爱的 我们并没有失去一切 |
[20:15] | It occurred to me that I could at least use the work | 我忽然想到 至少我可以用 |
[20:18] | I’ve done on my play to help our Sue. | 我创作的这部剧来帮助我们的苏 |
[20:21] | How so, husband? | 怎么做 老公 |
[20:22] | Why, to tame her, wife, as | 为何 去驯服她 老婆 |
[20:24] | Petruchio does tame the shrew. | 就像派楚丘驯服悍妇一样 |
[20:27] | I can’t see how it can fail. | 这方法绝对管用 |
[20:29] | Tomorrow we begin the taming of the Sue. | 明天我们就开始驯服苏 |
[20:35] | Did you see what I did there? | 你听到我刚说了什么吗 |
[20:40] | I just came round to thank you for saving Will’s life. | 我只是来感谢你救了威廉一命 |
[20:43] | I mean, I know you hate his gutlings, | 我是说 我知道你讨厌他的才华 |
[20:44] | so it was big of you. | 所以你的行为很伟大 |
[20:45] | Saving Shakespeare’s life, Mr Marlowe? | 救了莎士比亚一命 马洛先生 |
[20:47] | I know not what you mean. | 我不知道你是什么意思 |
[20:49] | Why, by refusing to show | 为何 因为你不同意 |
[20:50] | the Queen his traitorous, seditious new play. | 为女王上演他那离经叛道 煽动叛乱的新戏 |
[20:52] | Traitorous? Seditious? | 离经叛道 煽动叛乱 |
[20:54] | – It be but a foolish sex comedy. – Yeah. | – 它只是一部愚蠢的性喜剧 – 是吗 |
[20:57] | About a strong, clever, determined woman who refuses to marry, | 有关一个强悍的聪慧的坚决的女性拒绝出嫁 |
[21:01] | whilst all around would see her wed. | 同时众人都会见证 最终她还是出嫁了 |
[21:05] | Remind you of anyone? | 这让你想起谁了 |
[21:07] | God’s boobikins. | 我的亲娘哎 |
[21:10] | I catch your thought. | 我懂你的意思了 |
[21:12] | How did I not spot this? | 我怎么会没有关注到这点 |
[21:15] | I thought only to set aside his play for mine, | 我只想到为我自己去搁置他的戏 |
[21:18] | but now I see the Crow is truly in my clutches. | 但是现在看来乌鸦确实逃不出我的手心了 |
[21:22] | I will be done with him for ever. | 我终于跟他要了结了 |
[21:28] | Can I have another bit of bacon? | 我能再要一点培根吗 |
[21:29] | Mark me, wife… let the taming begin. | 看我的 老婆 开始驯服了 |
[21:32] | Bacon? Never. I will see thee starve. | 培根 不行 我要看着你饿肚子 |
[21:35] | What? You’re so weird. Shut up. Give me bacon. | 什么 你好奇怪啊 闭嘴 给我培根 |
[21:40] | Why, sweet Susanna, | 为何 亲爱的苏珊娜 |
[21:41] | this bacon be not good enough for one so charming. | 这个培根可配不上一个如此迷人的女孩 |
[21:45] | Is he pisslingtoned? | 他脑子进水了吗 |
[21:48] | You are such an arse-mungel. | 你真是个混蛋 |
[21:51] | Arse-mungel, am I? | 混蛋 是吗 |
[21:52] | Kind Sue doth dub me arse-mungel. | 善良的苏骂我是个混蛋 |
[21:55] | Oh, that all the world would call me arse-mungel. | 哦 那么全世界都会称我是个混蛋的 |
[21:58] | You’re an arse-mungel. | 你是个混蛋 |
[22:00] | It’s going brilliantly. | 精彩的部分来了 |
[22:02] | The girl be all confused by my hilariously contrary manner. | 女孩要被我滑稽的互相矛盾的行为搞混了 |
[22:05] | Why has Dad gone all weird? Tell him to stop. | 爸爸为什么这么奇怪 让他停下来 |
[22:08] | Why, daughter, look through the window. | 为何 女儿 看看窗外 |
[22:10] | Is it not the most beautiful moon you ever saw? | 那是不是你从未见过的美丽的明月 |
[22:13] | It’s the sun, Dad. It’s morning. Are you all right? | 是太阳 爸爸 这是早上 你没事吧 |
[22:16] | ‘Tis the moon, daughter, because I am your lord and father | 是月亮 女儿 因为我是你的主人 你的父亲 |
[22:19] | and I say ’tis the moon! | 而且我说它就是月亮 |
[22:21] | All right, it’s the moon. Who cares? | 好吧 那是月亮 谁在乎呢 |
[22:23] | Whatever! Why are you being weird?! | 随便吧 你为什么表现的这么奇怪 |
[22:26] | See, wife, it’s working. | 看到吗 老婆 生效了 |
[22:27] | She doth own the sun to be the moon. | 她承认了太阳其实是月亮 |
[22:29] | Was ever a girl so tamed? | 女孩有被如此驯服过吗 |
[22:31] | Now, to trick her once again with my sparkling wit. | 现在 再用我闪光的智慧戏弄她一次 |
[22:35] | Susanna, spy you that pretty maid | 苏珊娜 看到坐在你奶奶旁边的 |
[22:37] | sat next to Granny? | 漂亮的少女了吗 |
[22:39] | Be she not a fragrant beauty? | 她不是个芳香的美人吗 |
[22:41] | You’re right, husband. Our son be pisslingtoned. | 你说对了 老公 我们的儿子是脑子进水了 |
[22:45] | – You mean Grandad? – Not Grandad, child. | – 你是说爷爷 – 不是爷爷 孩子 |
[22:48] | For Grandad is a wrinkly old man | 因为爷爷是一个满脸皱纹的老头 |
[22:50] | with a face like a slapped scroting sac. | 他的脸已经和被拍扁的阴囊没什么两样了 |
[22:56] | ‘Tis a fresh-faced maid. | 这明明是一个鲜嫩的少女 |
[22:57] | All right, it’s a maid. Have it your way! | 行吧 是少女 你说什么就是什么 |
[22:59] | I don’t care! Stop being weird! | 我无所谓 别再神经兮兮的了 |
[23:01] | A-ha! And so the shrew be tamed. | 看吧 我驯服了悍妇 |
[23:05] | Shrew? | 悍妇 |
[23:06] | You no doubt all thought it passing strange that I be | 你们一定都在奇怪 |
[23:08] | so contrary with Susanna? | 我对苏珊娜为何如此反常 |
[23:10] | Shrew? | 悍妇 |
[23:11] | But now must own that by such tricks have | 但必须承认 我这么做 |
[23:13] | I cured her of her feistiness | 确实让她不那么强势了 |
[23:15] | and made of her a sweet and pliant maid. | 把她变成了一个温顺可爱的姑娘 |
[23:17] | Shrew?! | 你说我是悍妇 |
[23:19] | A girl who will agree with everything her father says | 变成一个对父亲言听计从的姑娘 |
[23:21] | and thus also the husband | 有朝一日她的丈夫取代我成为她的新主人 |
[23:23] | who will one day replace me as her master. | 那她也会听丈夫的话 |
[23:25] | Job done. God, I’m good. | 干得不错吧 我真是厉害 |
[23:28] | You are the worst person in the whole world! | 你是这个世界上最烂的人 |
[23:32] | I know everyone else thinks I’m a gobby bitchington. | 我知道大家都觉得我是个讨厌的贱人 |
[23:34] | But I thought at least you respected me, | 但我以为至少你会尊重我 |
[23:37] | and now you’re calling me a shrew?! | 但你却叫我悍妇 |
[23:39] | I hate you! I hate you! Don’t ever talk to me ever again! | 我恨你 我恨你 别再跟我说话 |
[23:45] | Well, that went well. | 干得不错 |
[23:49] | Yes, well… | 好的吧 |
[23:50] | It may be that the taming will require one or two more | 说不定还得再来一两个疗程 |
[23:54] | witty contradictions before it takes full effect. | 才能把她治好 |
[23:57] | Morning, Mrs S, Mr and | 早上好 S夫人 |
[23:59] | Mrs S Senior. Any ale and pie? | 还有莎翁和太太 有麦酒和派吗 |
[24:01] | I’ve ridden overnight from London. | 我从伦敦连夜赶来 |
[24:02] | – Of course, Mr Marlowe. | 当然有 马洛先生 |
[24:04] | Kit! What in the name of Titania’s tiny toenails brings you here? | 吉特 什么仙风把你给吹来了 |
[24:08] | To tell you to get your sweet country arsington | 我是来叫你从乡下 |
[24:10] | back to the theatre. | 启程回剧院的 |
[24:11] | I tricked Greene into showing the Queen your Shrew. | 我哄格林让他给女王看你的驯悍记了 |
[24:14] | – Really? | 真的吗 |
[24:14] | How? He swore it would offend her. | 怎么做的 他说剧本会惹怒女王 |
[24:16] | Aye, coz, but I told him it would do worse than that. | 没错 我告诉他远不止这么简单 |
[24:19] | I pointed out it could even be construed | 剧情还可以被看成是 |
[24:21] | as a call for Gloriana herself to be tamed and forced to marry. | 影射女王自己被迫结婚的经历 |
[24:24] | Oh, my God! | 我的妈啊 |
[24:27] | That never even occurred to me. | 这我还真没意识到 |
[24:29] | – Well… – You’ve condemned me. | – 好吧 – 你害惨我了 |
[24:30] | Oh, don’t get your puff ling pants in such a twist. | 别这么快下结论 |
[24:33] | She loved the play, as I knew she would. | 如我所料 女王很喜欢这部剧 |
[24:35] | But how could you be so sure? | 你怎么预料到的 |
[24:36] | William, Liz has been on the throne for 33 years, | 你想 伊丽莎白一世在位三十三年了 |
[24:40] | daily making laws on everything | 每天制定法律 |
[24:41] | from what language can be used in prayer books | 规定祈祷书里使用什么语言 |
[24:43] | to what colour clothing people of different classes should wear. | 规定不同阶级的人穿什么颜色的衣服 |
[24:46] | And in all that time, | 从始至终 |
[24:48] | has she done one single thing to improve the lot of women? | 她有做过提升女性地位的事情吗 |
[24:52] | I can’t think of anything offhand. | 我好像想不出来 |
[24:55] | A bit disappointing, when you put it like that. | 你这么一分析 突然觉得她挺让人失望的 |
[24:58] | Far from feeling solidarity with other birds, | 她才不想和其他女性站在一起 |
[24:59] | Gloriana clearly loves being quite literally | 我们的荣耀女王显然很享受 |
[25:02] | the only woman in the country that matters. | 自己国内唯一重要女性的地位 |
[25:04] | She likes keeping the rest of her sex in their place. | 她希望其他女性保持现有地位 |
[25:07] | I knew she would adore The Taming Of The Shrew, and she did. | 和我预料的一样 女王很喜欢驯悍记 |
[25:10] | – She adored it? Really? – Oh, yes. | – 女王很喜欢 真的假的 – 真的 |
[25:12] | And, in fact, I confidently expect history to record it was | 事实上 我很有信心史书上会记载 |
[25:15] | one of her favourite comedies. | 这是女王最喜欢的一部喜剧 |
[25:16] | Can we get this pie to go, | 我们能把这个派打包吗 |
[25:18] | Mrs S? Wouldn’t want to miss opening night. | S夫人 我不想错过首演 |
[25:24] | Thy husband is thy lord, thy life, thy keeper, | 你的丈夫就是你的主人 生命和监护人 |
[25:29] | Thy head, thy sovereign. | 是你的首领和君主 |
[25:31] | Such duty as the subject owes the prince | 女人对待丈夫 |
[25:34] | Even such a woman oweth to her husband. | 应当像臣子对待君王一样恭顺 |
[25:38] | – Hear, hear. It’s brilliant. – I think I’m going to be sick. | – 没错 写得真好 -我要吐了 |
[25:42] | And when she is forward, peevish sullen, sour | 如果她倔强使性 乖张暴戾 |
[25:45] | And not obedient to his honest will, | 不服从他正当的愿望 |
[25:48] | What is she but a foul contending rebel | 那她岂不是一个大逆不道 |
[25:52] | And graceless traitor to her loving lord? | 忘恩负义的叛徒吗 |
[26:04] | Well, my Shrew is a huge hit, but I take little pleasure in it, | 我的剧本一炮而红 我却高兴不起来 |
[26:08] | for it has cost me the good | 因为它 我失去了两个重要的女人 |
[26:10] | opinion of two women whose respect I value. | 对我的尊重 |
[26:12] | Yours, for one. | 包括你 |
[26:14] | I still respect you, Mr Shakespeare, | 我仍然尊重你 莎士比亚先生 |
[26:16] | for, although I think your play doth sorely insult women, | 但我认为你的剧本极大地侮辱了女性 |
[26:20] | you are a creature of your times, and, in truth, | 这只是时代的产物 |
[26:23] | even now your misogyny | 说实话 你对女性的轻视 |
[26:25] | be less offensive than most. | 还没现在的大多数人严重 |
[26:27] | At least you take trouble to write your women some fine verse. | 至少你为女性角色写了 |
[26:30] | And you do realise that the last big speech in the play, | 一些不错的台词 你发现了吗 |
[26:33] | the one where Katherine calls on women to worship | 剧中最后凯瑟琳呼吁女性臣服 |
[26:36] | and obey their husbands, it’s supposed to be ironic? | 和顺从丈夫的那段说辞 其实是为了反讽 |
[26:39] | I mean… | 我觉得 |
[26:43] | I mean, that-that’s clear, isn’t it? | 我写清楚了吧 |
[26:48] | Mr Shakespeare, please. | 省省吧 莎士比亚先生 |
[26:50] | Did you really write it ironically? | 你是真的用了讽刺手法 |
[26:52] | Or are you hoping that in later, more enlightened ages, | 还是只是希望在更开明的未来 |
[26:56] | scholars will try to get you off the hook | 学者们会通过假装你在反讽 |
[26:58] | by pretending that’s what you intended? | 来帮你挡下批判的声音 |
[27:02] | Well, you know… | 好吧 |
[27:03] | .. either way. | 随你怎么说吧 |
[27:06] | But intrigued am I. | 不过我很好奇 |
[27:07] | Who is the other woman whose respect you fear you’ve lost? | 你说的另一个女人是谁 |
[27:10] | Why, my lovely Sue. | 是我可爱的苏 |
[27:12] | She knows ’twas her who | 是她给了我驯悍记的灵感 |
[27:14] | inspired my shrew and is hurt most mortally. | 也受伤最深 |
[27:17] | I would fain make amends, but I know not how. | 我想补偿她 不知道怎么做 |
[27:20] | Well, just because a girl | 像苏一样的女孩 |
[27:22] | is feisty and full of spirit, like your Sue, | 虽然强势 充满活力 |
[27:25] | doesn’t mean she values not romance. | 但也喜欢浪漫 |
[27:28] | You should write another play, | 你可以写一部剧 |
[27:30] | one featuring a sensitive, | 创造一个和苏年龄相仿 |
[27:32] | articulate, headstrong, tragic, beautiful, captivating, | 口齿清晰 敏感又任性 悲剧又美丽 |
[27:38] | feisty maid of Susanna’s age. | 迷人而强势的女性角色 |
[27:40] | All right, Kate, you win. | 好吧 凯特 你赢了 |
[27:42] | I’ll finish Romeo And Julian. | 我会写完罗密欧与朱利安的 |
[27:45] | – Juliet. – Juliet, yes. | – 是朱丽叶 – 没错 |
[27:49] | I didn’t find your Shrew play too offensive when I saw it. | 我看驯悍记的时候并没有觉得很侮辱人 |
[27:54] | I thought it was quite funny, actually, | 反而觉得很搞笑 |
[27:56] | if you just see it as a load of illogical, stupid, | 如果把它想象成毫无逻辑 |
[27:59] | potty old bolingbrokes. | 愚蠢而又年老的混蛋说的话 |
[28:02] | Thank you, wife. That’s a lovely thing to say. | 谢谢你的夸奖 说得很好 |
[28:05] | And it’s nice to have a stonking great hit raking in the cash. | 而且写出这样的热门剧 能赚钱是好事 |
[28:09] | Dad! Juliet’s beautiful. | 爸爸 朱丽叶很美 |
[28:12] | Really, daughter? I remember | 是吗 女儿 |
[28:14] | you once saying nobody talked like that. | 我记得你说没人会像她那样讲话 |
[28:16] | I was 13, you know. I’m 14 now. I’m mature. | 我当时十三岁 我现在十四 成熟多了 |
[28:21] | And I just love it! | 我超喜欢 |
[28:23] | – The end not too sad? – Of course it’s too sad. | – 结局不会太伤感吗 – 当然很伤感 |
[28:26] | It’s endlessly sad. Heartbreakingly, eternally sad! | 悲伤逆流成河 令人永远心碎 |
[28:29] | I love it! | 我真的很喜欢 |
[28:30] | And you really based Juliet on me? | 你真的是以我为原型吗 |
[28:33] | Well, yes, absolutely. | 当然了 |
[28:35] | You know, you’re a girl and Juliet is a girl, so… | 你们两个 都是女孩 |
[28:40] | Direct lift, really. | 如出一辙啊 |