时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:21] | Hard at it, Will? That’s the spirit. | 在努力创作吗 威廉 这就对了 |
[00:22] | Got to keep the cash coming in. | 你得源源不断地赚钱 |
[00:24] | I mean, all this ale and pie | 毕竟 我痛饮的麦芽酒 |
[00:25] | I’m quaffing and gorging does not buy itself. | 狼吞虎咽的派 都不是天上掉下来的 |
[00:27] | No, Kit. | 当然不是 基特 |
[00:28] | And now that thou hast faked thine own death | 现在既然你假装身死 |
[00:30] | and must ever crash upon mine couch, | 又来投靠我 |
[00:32] | my household bills soareth most steeply. | 我的开销急转直上 |
[00:35] | Well, establishing a new identity takes time. | 建立新身份毕竟需要时间嘛 |
[00:38] | Yes, particularly if done from a horizontal position. | 是啊 特别是一切从零开始 |
[00:42] | What are you writing, then? Another Henry? | 你在写什么 又一部亨利王吗 |
[00:43] | You haven’t churned one of those out in at least a fortnight. | 两星期了 你还没能把它鼓捣出来呢 |
[00:46] | I imagine all London is gagging for Henry XIX, Part 12. | 整个伦敦都等不及看《亨利十九》的第十二部分 |
[00:50] | No, not a history, Kit. | 不 不是历史剧 基特 |
[00:52] | Burbage demands yet another comedy. | 伯比奇又要我写部喜剧 |
[00:54] | I think he’s right, people need escapism. | 他是对的 人们需要逃避现实 |
[00:56] | We’re living in dangerous times. | 我们生活在一个危险的时代 |
[00:57] | Yeah, look at me. I got killed in a fight. | 比如我 在打斗中被杀 |
[01:00] | And now the hungriest, thirstiest corpse in Southwark. | 然后成了南华克最饿最渴的尸体 |
[01:03] | Burbage also wants romance, | 伯比奇还想要浪漫元素 |
[01:04] | so I’ve decided to set the play in Venice, | 所以我决定把背景设置在威尼斯 |
[01:07] | city of carnival, city of light. | 狂欢之城 光明之城 |
[01:09] | City of stink, more like. I’ve been there. | 其实更像是恶臭之城 我曾经去过那里 |
[01:11] | They’ve combined the transport system with the sewage system | 那里的交通系统和下水道相连 |
[01:14] | and float about on a shimmering sea of turdingtons. | 人们在闪闪微光的粪便之海上划船 |
[01:17] | That’s why they’re developing opera. | 这就是为什么他们要发展歌剧艺术 |
[01:19] | Keeps them breathing through their mouths. | 能让他们通过嘴呼吸 |
[01:21] | Well, I certainly can’t | 确实 我完全无法 |
[01:22] | think of any other reason for developing opera. | 想象除此以外发展歌剧的原因 |
[01:25] | What’s the story, master? | 这次的剧本讲的什么 主人 |
[01:26] | I like a bit of the old soppy stuff. | 我比较喜欢那种老套的感伤情节 |
[01:28] | Well, Portia, a noble lady, has many suitors, | 女主叫鲍西娅 出身高贵 身边不乏追求者 |
[01:31] | so her father devises a brilliant test of character | 所以她的父亲设置了一系列绝妙的品质测试 |
[01:34] | to discover the right man for his beloved child. | 来找到能与他挚爱的女儿共度一生的男人 |
[01:37] | He hides his permission in one of three boxes. | 他把他的许可放在三个盒子中的一个 |
[01:40] | A gold box, a silver box and a lead box. | 三个分别是金盒子 银盒子和铅盒子 |
[01:43] | Now, here’s the stunner. | 下面是最绝妙的部分 |
[01:44] | The permission is contained within… | 许可就藏在 |
[01:46] | – The lead box. – …the lead bo… | – 铅盒子里 – 铅盒… |
[01:49] | How did you know that? | 你们怎么知道的 |
[01:51] | Well, cos it’s obvious. | 因为很明显嘛 |
[01:52] | Why? | 为什么 |
[01:53] | If you were offered a gold casket, a silver one or a lead one, | 如果面前放着金盒子 银盒子和铅盒子 |
[01:56] | you’d choose the gold one. | 你当然会选金的那个 |
[01:58] | Yeah, but you didn’t say, “Choose a casket and you can keep it,” | 是啊 但你并没有说 选一个盒子自己留着 |
[02:00] | you said it were a test of character. | 你说这是品质测试 |
[02:01] | And gloriously, stunningly obviously, | 那么毫无疑问 显而易见 |
[02:04] | the lucky note’s going to be concealed | 那幸运的文书肯定藏在 |
[02:05] | in the least showy and ostentatious box. | 最不张扬 最不显眼的盒子里 |
[02:07] | Duh! | 这还用说 |
[02:08] | Well, I think it’s brilliant, | 我觉得这主意棒极了 |
[02:09] | and you’re just jealous cos you didn’t think of it. | 而你只是嫉妒罢了 因为你没想到这个点子 |
[02:11] | Yeah, well, nor did you, as it happens. | 是啊 碰巧你也没有 |
[02:13] | I bloomin’ did! | 老天 我当然想到了 |
[02:14] | Sorry, mate, you pinched it from a collection of medieval stories | 不好意思 你是从一本中世纪故事集里抄的 |
[02:17] | called Gesta Romanorum, | 那个故事集叫 《古罗马人记事》 |
[02:18] | which Kate’s reading and which she leaves in the privy. | 凯特最近在读 她落在洗手间了 |
[02:20] | Well, I… | 好吧 我… |
[02:21] | I may have glanced at it | 我一边看了几眼 |
[02:23] | while awaiting the appearance | 一边等待 |
[02:25] | of that which the cockney costermongers have, | 伦敦东区小贩 |
[02:27] | in tribute to me and in | 所谓的”查理三世”出现 |
[02:29] | the manner of their amusing rhyming slang, | 这种有趣的押韵俚语 |
[02:31] | termed a “Richard III.” | 一定是对我的致敬 |
[02:34] | Ah! It’s cos it rhymes, is it? | 啊 所以是因为押韵 对吗 |
[02:37] | I thought it was because they thought your play was crap. | 我以为是因为他们觉得你的戏剧像狗屎一样 |
[02:41] | I kind of think it is. | 我也这么想 |
[02:42] | No, definitely because it rhymes. | 不 绝对是因为那两个词押韵 |
[02:44] | And yes, Kit, ’tis possible that, as I awaited King Richard, | 确实 基特 在我等待国王查理出场时 |
[02:47] | who was as ever late upon | 顺带一提 它来晚了 |
[02:49] | his hour due to a lack of fibre in my diet, | 因为我的饮食中缺乏膳食纤维 |
[02:52] | I glanced at this Gesta Romanorum. | 我有可能看了一眼《古罗马人记事》 |
[02:54] | Yes, in fact, I do recall now. | 事实上 我现在想起来了 |
[02:56] | I remember thinking, | 我记得自己在想 |
[02:57] | “Goodness, some medieval fellow | 老天爷 这帮中世纪的人 |
[02:59] | had exactly the same idea for a plot as me!” | 跟我的脑洞分毫不差 |
[03:01] | What were the odds? | 这种几率该有多大 |
[03:03] | So, what’s this three casket | 那么 这三个盒子的故事 |
[03:04] | business got to do with a merchant, anyway? | 跟商人有什么关系 |
[03:06] | Is he Portia’s suitor? | 他也是鲍西娅的追求者吗 |
[03:07] | No, that’s Bassanio. | 不 巴萨尼奥才是追求者 |
[03:09] | But Bassanio is too poor to marry Portia, | 但他太穷 配不上鲍西娅 |
[03:11] | so he asks his mate, the merchant Antonio, | 所以他请求他的朋友 商人安东尼奥 |
[03:14] | to lend him some cash. | 借给他一些钱 |
[03:15] | Unfortunately, Antonio’s cash is all tied up at sea, | 不幸 安东尼奥的钱都投资在航海上了 |
[03:18] | so he has to borrow it | 所以他只得从放高利贷的 |
[03:19] | from a kindly old moneylender called Timothy. | 慷慨老头蒂莫西那里借钱 |
[03:24] | Now, Timothy’s daughter Jessica | 现在 蒂莫西的女儿杰西卡 |
[03:26] | is in love with Lorenzo, a friend of Bassanio’s… | 跟巴萨尼奥的朋友罗伦佐陷入爱河… |
[03:29] | Nodding off already. | 我要睡着了 |
[03:31] | Sorry, mate, it sounds like a | 不好意思 兄弟 要我说 |
[03:32] | right load of overconvoluted puffling porridge, | 听起来就像一大锅 |
[03:35] | if you ask me. | 九曲回环的大杂烩 |
[03:36] | Yeah, I kind of know. | 是啊 我也知道 |
[03:37] | On the plus side, | 从好的一面看 |
[03:38] | overconvoluted puffling porridge has never let you down before. | 这种大杂烩从未让你失望过 |
[03:41] | But people like a bit of edge, something new. | 但人们喜欢比较先锋 新鲜的东西 |
[03:43] | I’ve got a clown called Launcelot Gobbo, | 所以我添了个丑角 叫兰斯洛特·高波 |
[03:46] | which is a very funny name. | 名字很好笑 |
[03:49] | But what else? | 但还有呢 |
[03:50] | I need a big, important, | 我需要一个重大 |
[03:51] | timeless issue to put at the heart of the new piece. | 又不朽的事情作为新剧的核心 |
[03:54] | But it’s not as if a big, important, timeless issue | 但这件重大又不朽的事情 |
[03:56] | is just going to come walking through the door. | 可不会自己找上门来 |
[03:59] | Gosh, that was scary! | 真是吓死人了 |
[04:01] | But also wonderful, | 但也很美妙 |
[04:02] | being part of such a big, important, timeless issue. | 竟然参与了如此宏大 重大又不朽的事情 |
[04:06] | Goodness, Kate, where have you been? | 老天 凯特 你到哪去了 |
[04:07] | At the anti-immigrant riots. | 我去参加了反移民暴乱 |
[04:09] | I’ve been on the counterdemonstration, | 我站在反对这次示威的一边 |
[04:11] | defending the French and Dutch refugees who have come here | 支持那些为了逃避宗教迫害 |
[04:14] | escaping religious persecution on the Continent. | 而来到这里的法国和荷兰难民 |
[04:17] | It’s worse than the Dutch church riots of 1593. | 情况比一五九三年荷兰教堂暴动还要糟糕 |
[04:20] | Yes, I fear anti-European sentiment is getting worse. | 是啊 我害怕反欧洲情绪会愈演愈烈 |
[04:25] | Well, they’re everywhere, | 他们到处都是 |
[04:27] | talking foreign and eating weird food. | 说着外语 吃着奇怪的食物 |
[04:29] | Soft cheese? What’s all that about?! | 软芝士 那是什么鬼 |
[04:31] | Cheese is meant to be hard. | 芝士就应该是硬的 |
[04:34] | When I see soft, runny cheese for sale at market… | 要是我在市场见到软绵绵湿哒哒的芝士… |
[04:36] | Ugh, I feel alienated and uncomfortable | 我会觉得在自己的城市里格格不入 |
[04:39] | in my own city. | 浑身不舒坦 |
[04:40] | The other day, I was confronted by a furious crowd | 有一天 我被愤怒的人群包围 |
[04:42] | because a woman thought I was concealing a baguette in my tights. | 因为有个女人以为我的紧身裤里藏了条法棍 |
[04:45] | Laughable misunderstanding, of course. | 当然是可笑的误解 |
[04:48] | Just pleased to see her. | 我倒是很高兴见到她 |
[04:50] | The times really are turning ugly. | 这个时代真是越来越丑陋了 |
[04:53] | Our maids and matrons protest group was continually interrupted | 我们未婚和已婚女性抗议群体总是不断地被 |
[04:57] | by groups of apprentice boys | 成群的男学徒拦住 |
[04:58] | demanding that we display to them our boobingtons | 他们要求我们向他们露出胸部 |
[05:01] | and even threatening our honour. | 甚至辱骂我们 |
[05:03] | Strange how some men’s considered | 真是奇怪 怎么会有男人认为 |
[05:05] | response to a woman expressing a political view | 该用性骚扰回应表达政治自己观点或者 |
[05:08] | or merely going about her business, is sexual harassment. | 仅仅在做自己事情的妇女 |
[05:12] | I’m sure that in centuries hence | 我确信 几个世纪后 |
[05:14] | men will be sufficiently emotionally mature | 男人的心理会足够成熟 |
[05:16] | to reject such patriarchal intimidation. | 彻底摒弃这种男权糟粕 |
[05:19] | Or, if not, | 如果男人做不到 |
[05:20] | women will finally begin to stand | 女人早晚有一天 |
[05:22] | up to it and name and shame those responsible. | 会勇敢站出来 公开谴责男权主义 |
[05:25] | Blimey, Kate, have a care. | 天哪 凯特 你可当心 |
[05:26] | I mean, that could go horribly, horribly wrong. | 要真那样 不乱套了 |
[05:29] | I mean, what of jolly banter? | 开个玩笑不行吗 |
[05:30] | What of harmless japes and japey japes? | 讲个段子也无伤大雅啊 |
[05:32] | Why, if women were to set | 万一女人 |
[05:33] | out on such a chillingly threatening course, | 真开始逼男人了 |
[05:35] | I mean, men would scarce be able to | 以后的圣诞派对上 |
[05:37] | admire a pertsome bum-shank, | 男人不敢透盯着女人屁股看 |
[05:40] | insist upon an overly long hug with a junior employee | 也不敢和年轻的员工长情地拥抱 |
[05:43] | or make creepy observations masquerading as compliments at Christmas parties. | 或者假装欣赏 实则偷窥 |
[05:48] | Strangely, I think I could live with that. | 好奇怪 我居然可以忍受这些 |
[05:50] | In the meantime, the only comfort we may take | 另外呢 这场反对欧洲移民的动乱 |
[05:53] | from this awful anti-European rioting is that, | 带给我们唯一的慰藉是 |
[05:55] | if ever such an influx of foreigners happens again, | 将来再有大量外国人涌入的时候 |
[05:58] | Government can prepare for it properly… | 政府能够有备而战 |
[06:01] | affording extra funding for expanded community services | 加大投资 为社区服务扩容 |
[06:04] | and not simply dumping the incoming migrants | 而不是简单地把移民 |
[06:07] | on the poorest areas. | 扔进贫民窟 |
[06:08] | Yes, at least if those lessons are learned, | 是的 至少吃一堑 |
[06:10] | then something good will come of this. | 也能长一智 |
[06:12] | Meanwhile, I can’t talk about prejudice, | 还有 我可不能一整天空谈 |
[06:14] | bigotry and intolerance of minorities all day, | 对少数群体的偏见排斥之类的 |
[06:16] | I have to find a big, important issue | 我得找个重大的事情 |
[06:18] | to put at the heart of my Merchant Of Venice. | 作为《威尼斯商人》的核心 |
[06:25] | What do you think of this? | 你觉得这个怎么样 |
[06:27] | Antonio, the merchant of Venice, | 安东尼奥是个威尼斯商人 |
[06:29] | wants a loan from Timothy, the moneylender. | 他想从借贷人蒂莫西手里借点钱 |
[06:31] | Antonio, “Can I borrow 3,000 ducats?” | 安东尼奥说 能借给我三千金币吗 |
[06:35] | Timothy, “No problem, pay me back when you can.” | 蒂莫西说 可以 你有钱了再还我 |
[06:39] | It’s almost there, I just | 就快写好了 |
[06:40] | think it needs a bit of edge, a bit of tension, | 只是还需要一些紧张感 |
[06:43] | some issue which divides them. | 需要一个让他们决裂的事件 |
[06:45] | Well, you can’t be worrying about divisive issues now, master, | 主人 你现在没时间弄什么决裂事件了 |
[06:48] | because with all this hatred | 人们对移民有不少怨恨 |
[06:49] | of minorities and anti-foreigner rioting, | 排外的动乱轰轰烈烈 |
[06:51] | you’re going to be late for the theatre, | 你去剧院都要迟到了 |
[06:53] | so you’d better give yourself extra time. | 最好还是提前动身 |
[06:55] | Yes, you’re right, Botsky. We’re auditioning a new actor. | 你说得对 宝特姆 有个新演员要试镜 |
[06:58] | Why not come along, Kate? | 凯特 你也一起来吧 |
[06:59] | I’d value the totty viewpoint. | 我愿意不耻下问 |
[07:02] | I’d love to, Mr Shakespeare! | 莎士比亚先生 我很乐意 |
[07:04] | And good experience for me, since, as you know, | 对我来说是很好的经验 你知道 |
[07:07] | if ever the law be changed and as a woman I be allowed to act, | 如果法律允许女人演戏了 |
[07:10] | then as a strong woman, who is strong, | 作为一个坚强的女汉子 |
[07:13] | I shall straightway announce that my real ambition is to direct. | 我会立马宣布 我真正的志向是导演 |
[07:17] | I really admire you for that, Kate. | 凯特 我真敬佩你 |
[07:20] | Got to follow your insane delusions. | 真有点跟不上你妄想的节奏 |
[07:22] | I truly believe that if you | 不过我倒是相信 |
[07:23] | dare to have a big enough insane delusion, | 如果我敢继续想下去 |
[07:26] | then anything is possible. | 没准能有志者事竟成 |
[07:31] | Where is Will? | 威廉呢 |
[07:32] | This new actor is expected | 新演员随时到场 |
[07:34] | any moment and Will is late upon his hour! | 威廉居然自己玩迟到 |
[07:36] | Sorry, the anti-immigrant protests have closed half the town. | 抱歉 反移民游行把半个城都堵死了 |
[07:40] | Some say it could be as bad as 1517, | 有人说这次跟1517年有的一拼 |
[07:43] | when the blood of butchered | 外国移民惨遭屠杀 |
[07:44] | foreigners did flow through London streets | 伦敦血流成河 |
[07:46] | and Sir Thomas More himself faced down the mob. | 托马斯·莫尔大人只得亲自出面平定动乱 |
[07:48] | You’re so old you were probably there! | 你一把年纪了 大概在现场吧 |
[07:51] | Old fart phobic or bravely challenging old fart phobia? | 我是厌老 还是收敛一点 |
[07:54] | You decide. | 你选吧 |
[07:55] | Yes. But to business! | 好吧 言归正传 |
[07:57] | We are assembled to consider acquiring this new player, | 我们集合是讨论 要不要这个新演员 |
[08:00] | who’s causing quite a stir. | 关于他 一直没有统一意见 |
[08:02] | I’ve asked Kate along. | 我让凯特一起来 |
[08:03] | I thought it could be useful to get a woman’s perspective. | 想着女人的意见也许能帮上忙 |
[08:06] | Such a privilege. | 不胜荣幸 |
[08:08] | As long as she doesn’t try and get the job herself. | 只要她自己不应聘就行 |
[08:10] | We’ve seen her girlish tricks before. | 我们见识过她那点小把戏 |
[08:12] | On my honour, sir. | 您过奖了 大人 |
[08:14] | There’s no honour when it comes to getting a part, ducky. | 亲 演个角色不是那么容易的 |
[08:17] | I’ve torn the coconuts off more convincing girls than you! | 比你像女人的男演员我都手撕了不少了 |
[08:20] | So, what are the qualities | 那么 这个演员身上 |
[08:21] | we should be looking for in this actor? | 应该具有什么样的素质呢 |
[08:23] | Well, shouting, obviously. | 嗓门大 |
[08:25] | And strutting. | 腿脚好 |
[08:27] | Yes, we’re looking for an actor who can shout and strut. | 对 要的就是既能喊又能走台步的人 |
[08:35] | I am the actor Wolf Hall. | 演员沃尔夫·霍尔 |
[08:42] | But I do not shout and I do not strut. | 不过 你们说的那一套我不会 |
[08:45] | I have developed a revolutionary new style. | 我已开创出一种全新模式 |
[08:49] | Subtle, nuanced, emoting | 主打深沉 细腻 情感丰富 |
[08:50] | from within by means of long, sad-eyed stares… | 我这双满是忧愁的眼睛 能传达出一切 |
[08:56] | pregnant with weary wisdom | 满怀智慧 |
[08:59] | and penetrating perception. | 深藏敏锐 |
[09:03] | Next! | 下一位 |
[09:09] | Stay a moment, Burbage, he may have something. | 等一下 伯比奇 他可能真有两下子 |
[09:12] | Here is my Thomas Wolsey. | 看我来演托马斯·沃尔西 |
[09:19] | And here, by way of contrast, is my Thomas Cromwell. | 注意对比 这是托马斯·克伦威尔 |
[09:29] | Now… | 现在 |
[09:33] | my Thomas More. | 是托马斯·莫尔 |
[09:41] | Actually, fair play, he gives good Thomas. | 还行 各种托马斯都演得不错 |
[09:44] | I must admit, he is subtle and nuanced. | 我得承认 他确实深沉而细腻 |
[09:47] | Those eyes, so sad. | 那双眼睛 好忧郁 |
[09:49] | And so pregnant with weary wisdom and penetrating perception. | 满怀智慧 深藏敏锐 |
[09:53] | I imagine audiences will happily watch the actor Wolf Hall | 观众们愿意看沃尔夫·霍尔 |
[09:56] | stare wearily and wisely for minutes at a time. | 露出那疲惫智慧的目光 出神好几分钟 |
[10:00] | Blimey! If we had him in a show, my plays would be twice as long. | 我勒个去 他要来了 我的戏得变两倍长 |
[10:05] | Richard III would be eight or nine hours! | 《理查德三世》得演八九个小时 |
[10:08] | How good would that be? | 那可太好了 |
[10:10] | Book him, Mr Burbage. Trust me. | 签下他吧 伯比奇先生 相信我 |
[10:12] | Us brainy birds will go totally wibbly-wobbly | 就我们这种聪明姑娘 |
[10:15] | for an actor like that. | 一定会被这个演员萌翻的 |
[10:17] | This gal’s already a member of the Wolf pack. | 我已经成他的迷妹了 |
[10:22] | Well, he does have a certain presence, I admit. | 我承认 他确实挺养眼 |
[10:25] | Perhaps in smaller roles. | 可以演点小角色 |
[10:27] | There are no small roles for the actor Wolf Hall, Mr Burbage. | 伯比奇先生 沃尔夫·霍尔可不演小角色 |
[10:32] | With a stare as weary, penetrating and perceptive as this, | 如此满怀智慧 深藏敏锐的眼神 |
[10:37] | every role is a lead. | 演什么都会演成主角 |
[10:45] | The actor Wolf Hall bids you good day. | 演员沃尔夫·霍尔告辞 |
[10:50] | God’s boobikins. | 我滴神啊 |
[10:53] | Shakespeare has found an actor with eyes so sad and weary | 莎士比亚发现的这个演员 眼神如此忧伤 |
[10:57] | and a stare so astute and penetrating | 眼神满怀智慧 深藏敏锐 |
[10:59] | that every brainy bird in London will go wibbly-wobbly. | 任何一个聪明姑娘都会被他萌翻的 |
[11:03] | So, ’tis agreed, this Wolf Hall shall join our company, | 那就这么定了 让他加入我们 |
[11:07] | and Mr Shakespeare will write a little part for him | 莎士比亚先生在《威尼斯商人》里 |
[11:10] | in his new Venetian comedy. | 给他写个小角色就行了 |
[11:12] | Absolutely. | 这个可以有 |
[11:13] | Curses! | 奶奶的 |
[11:14] | Such subtle and nuanced | 这样深沉细腻的表演 |
[11:16] | acting would lend wings to the Crow’s verse | 肯定让那小子插上羽毛变凤凰 |
[11:18] | and increase his fame tenfold. | 名声大噪啊 |
[11:21] | How can this be stopped? | 怎么能阻止这一切呢 |
[11:24] | Well… | 好吧 |
[11:25] | If there’s one thing I know about actors, | 要说我对演员的了解 |
[11:28] | particularly the subtle and nuanced kind, | 特别是那种自称深沉细腻的 |
[11:30] | is that because they put on funny voices for a living, | 那就是因为他们为搞笑谋生 |
[11:33] | they be in constant fear that people will think them thick, | 永远担心观众们觉得他们蠢笨 |
[11:37] | thus will they loudly champion | 因此他们将高声拥护 |
[11:39] | any exotic theorem or obscure cause that comes their way | 任何晦涩的理论 |
[11:42] | in the mistaken belief that it’ll make them look clever. | 误以为这样看起来聪明些 |
[11:47] | I begin to see my way. | 我知道该怎么做了 |
[11:51] | But first, Will, let us to Miss Lucy’s tavern, | 威廉 我们先去露西小姐的酒馆 |
[11:53] | for we actors have a radical idea to discuss with you | 演员们有个帮助难民的激进想法 |
[11:56] | to help the poor refugees. | 要和你商量 |
[11:59] | A benefit night for the refugees, | 全伦敦的戏剧明星 |
[12:01] | with all London’s leading theatre stars? | 为难民办慈善晚会 |
[12:04] | I think it’s a wonderful idea. Don’t you, Miss Lucy? | 我觉得这是个好主意 你觉得呢 露西小姐 |
[12:06] | Oh, yes, Mr Shakespeare. | 噢 当然 莎士比亚先生 |
[12:08] | Although, as an escaped sex worker myself, | 不过 作为逃脱的妓女 |
[12:11] | I would say legal status, safe sanctuary, | 我认为合法的地位 安全的容身之处 |
[12:14] | ruthless prosecution of people traffickers | 不留情面地打压人贩子 |
[12:16] | and, above all, | 尤其是 |
[12:16] | a global approach to the causes of the crisis would be better. | 针对危机成因的普适性方案 这些会更好 |
[12:19] | But in the absence of these, | 但既然没有这些 |
[12:21] | I’d say a bunch of luvvie-kissies | 那么一帮戏子作秀 |
[12:23] | showing off is as good a start as any. | 也不错吧 |
[12:26] | Then that’s settled. | 那就这么决定了 |
[12:28] | Yes, well, the concert will need a title. | 这样的话 音乐会需要个名字 |
[12:31] | A day, I think. We should name a special day. | 我们应该命名一个特别的日子 |
[12:33] | Well, many a time and oft during our touring days | 康戴尔和我在巡演时 |
[12:37] | did Condell and I perform the big red nose gag. | 表演过很多次大红鼻子戏 |
[12:40] | Where I took my inflated | 我用着充气的猪尿泡 |
[12:41] | pig’s bladder and whacked him on the nose, | 使劲打他的鼻子 |
[12:43] | causing it to go red. | 打得红肿 |
[12:44] | Brilliant! That’s it! | 棒极了 就这个了 |
[12:46] | We’ll call our day Inflated Pig’s Bladder Day. | 我们就称这天为充气猪尿泡日 |
[12:49] | Ah, good! | 很好 |
[12:55] | Oh, it’s going brilliantly! | 噢 进展棒极了 |
[12:56] | And look! Burbage and Condell are going to do their joke. | 快看 伯比奇和康戴尔准备讲笑话了 |
[13:05] | Oh, master, now I’ll make thy arse as red as thy nose! | 噢 主人 我会让你的屁股和鼻子一样红 |
[13:10] | That’s so funny! | 太好笑了 |
[13:14] | Now, recently, | 最近 |
[13:16] | on behalf of Inflated Pig’s Bladder Day, | 我们代表充气猪尿泡日 |
[13:18] | we visited a refugee area in Shoreditch. | 拜访了肖迪奇的难民窟 |
[13:22] | We saw clogless Dutchmen | 我们见到无家可归的荷兰人 |
[13:24] | begging for cheese and stroopwafel. | 乞讨奶酪和松饼 |
[13:29] | Frenchmen so weak with hunger | 法国男人饿得没有力气 |
[13:31] | they had not the strength to cheat on their wives. | 搞婚外情 |
[13:34] | I can’t deny that the moments of harsh, documentary reality | 现在这个叙述的残酷 |
[13:38] | sit rather uncomfortably | 和刚才踢屁股的搞笑相比 |
[13:40] | against the hilarity of the bum-kicking gags. | 有点违和 |
[13:43] | Yes, it does feel like rather a strange juxtaposition. | 是的 这确实看起来很奇怪 |
[13:46] | Still, the benefit night is a new art form. | 但是 慈善之夜仍然是一种的新的艺术形式 |
[13:48] | No doubt in future ages they’ll have found a way round that one. | 无疑未来人们会解决这个问题的 |
[13:51] | You’ve got to hope so. | 希望如此 |
[13:53] | Which means that we have raised the amazing amount of… | 我们筹集的善款 总共… |
[14:00] | Four pounds, 18 shillings and tuppence! | 四英镑十八先令加两便士 |
[14:05] | Thank you, London! Thank you! | 感谢伦敦 感谢你们 |
[14:08] | Well. Sounds like an amazing result. | 看上去结果惊人啊 |
[14:10] | I mean, I wish I wasn’t in hiding and could have been there. | 真希望我去参加了 没有躲起来 |
[14:12] | 快五英镑了 太多了 | |
[14:14] | Hey! | 干杯 |
[14:15] | Although, not so much | 也没那么多吧 |
[14:17] | if you consider that a full great ship of the line | 要知道造一条军舰 |
[14:19] | cost the Exchequer about 2,000. | 就要花掉财政部两千英镑 |
[14:21] | Well, you hear a lot of that sort of argument from gloomy naysayers, Miss Lucy, | 你听了太多悲观的言论了 露西小姐 |
[14:25] | but five quid’s five quid, | 但五英镑就是五英镑 |
[14:27] | and without tonight’s benefit, | 如果没举办善捐演出 |
[14:28] | all we’d have would be nothing. | 我们一分钱都筹不到 |
[14:30] | Hey! | 干杯 |
[14:31] | Except that maybe, without charity nights like tonight, | 不过 如果没有举办慈善之夜 |
[14:34] | people wouldn’t be able to think they’d achieved something | 人们也不会觉得自己有所成就 |
[14:36] | when, really, nothing’s changed at all. | 而实际上也确实一无所获 |
[14:39] | And without that comforting illusion, they might be more minded | 然后 如果人们不沾沾自喜 或许会聪明些 |
[14:41] | to agitate for genuine political change, | 带来真正的政治变革 |
[14:44] | which could make an actual difference. | 从而带来真正的改变 |
[14:46] | I mean, you could argue that | 我的意思是 慈善确实 |
[14:47] | charity affords politicians an excuse for inaction | 为政客提供了不作为的借口 |
[14:50] | and exploiters the pretence of a conscience. | 和有良知的伪装 |
[14:55] | 不论如何 我们筹到了五英镑 | |
[14:57] | Hey! | 干杯 |
[14:59] | But it would be wonderful to do something more | 莎士比亚先生 去做一些伟大的事情 |
[15:01] | than just raise money, don’t you think, Mr Shakespeare? | 而不仅仅是筹款 不是更好吗 |
[15:04] | Something profound and timeless, | 做些意义深远 不朽的事情 |
[15:06] | a lasting reflection on the corrosive nature of bigotry and intolerance. | 深刻反思偏见和排斥的腐蚀性 |
[15:11] | Well, that is undoubtedly true, but I’m also very busy, Kate. | 好主意 但是我很忙 凯特 |
[15:14] | I’m looking for a truly timeless and universal issue | 我正在找真正不朽又普遍的事件 |
[15:16] | to elevate my Merchant Of Venice. | 升华《威尼斯商人》的主题 |
[15:20] | Hang on… | 等等… |
[15:22] | Hang the futtock on! | 等一下 |
[15:25] | Mr Hall. If you join the Burbage company | 霍尔先生 你要是加入伯比奇的剧院 |
[15:28] | with your extraordinarily sad but kindly eyes and weary, perceptive stare, | 凭借你满怀智慧 深藏敏锐的眼神 |
[15:33] | you will without a doubt soon become | 你一定很快就能成为 |
[15:35] | one of the greatest Shakespearean players of your day. | 卓越的莎士比亚戏剧演员 |
[15:38] | That much is certain. | 那是当然 |
[15:41] | This Shakespeare… | 这个莎士比亚 |
[15:44] | A curious thing, is he not? | 是个神奇的家伙 对吧 |
[15:46] | I mean, who could have imagined | 我是说 谁能想到 |
[15:48] | that a mere town-school spotty-grotty could write such verse? | 出身卑贱的丑八怪能写出这样的诗句 |
[15:52] | That a turnip-chewing, country bum-shankle | 吃萝卜的乡巴佬 |
[15:55] | could produce such insight and such wisdom? | 竟然有这样的洞察力和智慧 |
[15:57] | ‘Tis passing strange. | 这太奇怪了 |
[15:59] | One might almost imagine | 我有一个猜测 |
[16:01] | that some educated posh boy | 他背后有个受过良好教育的上流男孩 |
[16:04] | had writ his plays in secret. | 偷偷的写下这些戏剧 |
[16:06] | I don’t know, a university man | 我猜是一个大学生 |
[16:08] | like Sir Francis Bacon or the Earl of Oxford. | 比如弗朗西斯·培根大人或者牛津公爵 |
[16:12] | Interesting. Fascinating. | 有意思 很有意思 |
[16:14] | Or Christopher Marlowe, perhaps! | 也可能是克里斯托弗·马洛 |
[16:16] | They say he’s dead, but is he? | 大家说他死了 但是真的吗 |
[16:19] | The actor Wolf Hall is intrigued. | 演员沃尔夫·霍尔很感兴趣 |
[16:21] | He takes the bait, and thus do | 他咬下了诱饵 |
[16:23] | I prove one of the great truths of life and art, | 我已证明了生活和艺术中伟大真理之一 |
[16:26] | that just because an actor | 那就是 即便一个演员 |
[16:28] | looks intelligent and can play intelligent | 即使看起来聪明 扮演着聪明人 |
[16:30] | doesn’t mean that he is intelligent. | 也不代表他真的聪明 |
[16:38] | I wonder how Susanna’s getting on with her first day at work. | 不知道苏珊娜第一天上班过得怎么样 |
[16:42] | I’m so proud of her. | 我真为她骄傲 |
[16:43] | Well, I don’t think it’s fitting, | 我认为这样不合适 |
[16:45] | a maid teaching in a dame school. | 未婚女性去女校教书 |
[16:47] | Oh, she’s only helping out with the younger ones, | 她只是帮助年轻人 |
[16:49] | reading and writing. | 读书写字 |
[16:51] | The responsibility’ll do her good, | 这工作对她有好处 |
[16:53] | stop her being such a grumpy little bitchington. | 不再那么脾气暴躁 |
[16:56] | Where’s my tea? I’m starving! | 我的茶在哪 我快渴死了 |
[16:58] | I had to walk home. | 我得走路回家 |
[16:59] | Why couldn’t Grandad pick me up in the cart? | 为什么不能让爷爷来接我 |
[17:01] | What’s he do all day? | 他整天在干什么 |
[17:02] | Nothing! I hate my life! Shut up! | 什么都没干 我恨我的生活 闭嘴 |
[17:06] | Long day, love? | 今天很难熬吧 亲爱的 |
[17:08] | What is this, the Star Chamber? You’re always on at me! | 这里是星星法庭吗 你老是针对我 |
[17:10] | Yes, it was a long day. You happy now? Shut up! | 是的 很难熬 你满意了吗 闭嘴 |
[17:13] | I actually think she might be improving a bit. | 我觉得她的脾气好一点了 |
[17:16] | Well, tell us a bit about it. | 跟我们聊聊 |
[17:18] | Were the boys nice? | 男孩们听话吗 |
[17:19] | No, they’re a bunch of nasty little swine. | 不 他们就是一群调皮的蠢货 |
[17:22] | There’s this one kid who’s a bit different, | 有一个孩子有些不同 |
[17:24] | you know, what they call a holy innocent, | 大家认为他非常单纯 |
[17:26] | and they are so mean to him. | 所以对他很过分 |
[17:28] | We had a boy like that in my class. | 我们班也有一个这样的 |
[17:30] | Brilliant! | 太棒了 |
[17:31] | We used to call him stupid. | 我们叫他傻子 |
[17:33] | Wasn’t any harm in it. | 没有任何恶意 |
[17:34] | We used to play tricks on him. | 我们总捉弄他 |
[17:36] | Wasn’t any harm in it. | 没有任何恶意 |
[17:37] | We used to steal his lunch, | 我们常偷他的午饭 |
[17:39] | chuck him in the pond | 把他丢到池塘里 |
[17:41] | and reduce him to a weeping, sobbing wretch in the corner. | 把他变成了角落里哭泣的可怜虫 |
[17:45] | Wasn’t any… | 没有… |
[17:47] | harm in it. | 任何恶意 |
[17:50] | Actually, when I think about it, | 我认真一想 |
[17:52] | there was quite a lot of harm in it, | 其实恶意满满 |
[17:54] | which is why I try not to think about it. | 所以我就不去想了 |
[17:58] | So thanks a lot for bringing it up, Susanna! | 所以多谢你提起 苏珊娜 |
[18:01] | My class is full of insensitive bastables like Grandad was. | 我们班里都是爷爷这样冷漠的混蛋 |
[18:05] | I just wish there was a way I could make them see | 我只希望能告诉他们 |
[18:07] | that this kid has exactly the same feelings | 这个孩子也有跟他们一样有相同的情感 |
[18:09] | and exactly the same human value as they do. | 也有相同人性的价值 |
[18:12] | Well, maybe you should speak to your father about it. | 你该和你父亲谈谈 |
[18:15] | He can be very astute on matters of human nature. | 他对人性可敏感了 |
[18:18] | He knows a bit about being bullied, too. | 他也知道被霸凌是什么感觉 |
[18:21] | He started going bald when he was seven. | 他七岁的时候就开始秃顶了 |
[18:25] | I’ll put an outsider | 我要在《威尼斯商人》中 |
[18:26] | at the centre of my Venice play. | 加一个局外人作为中心角色 |
[18:28] | Despised and belittled. | 他受人鄙视 被看不起 |
[18:29] | I’ll make him the moneylender | 把他写成放高利贷的 |
[18:31] | and create an iconic figure | 创造一个代表性人物 |
[18:32] | who will stand for all time as an affront to prejudice and bigotry. | 永远讽刺着人类的偏见和顽固 |
[18:37] | Such a brilliant idea! | 多好的主意 |
[18:39] | I can’t deny, it seems strong. | 不可否认 听起来很棒 |
[18:40] | So what type of outsider are you going to make him? | 你想他把他写成什么样的局外人 |
[18:42] | Well, isn’t it obvious? | 还不明显吗 |
[18:43] | I’ll make the moneylender… | 我会把他 |
[18:45] | a Dutchman. | 写成荷兰人 |
[18:48] | These riots are about European refugees, | 外面的骚乱和欧洲难民有关 |
[18:50] | and I can’t go French | 如果写成法国人 |
[18:51] | because even my huge brain would | 即使我这么聪明的脑子 |
[18:53] | struggle to find sympathetic qualities there. | 也想不出令人同情的地方 |
[18:55] | So Dutch it is. | 所以就荷兰人吧 |
[18:58] | Laas, a villainous but ultimately deeply human Dutchman. | 拉斯 一个恶毒的 但其实很有人性的荷兰人 |
[19:02] | A tall, blond man in clogs | 高个 金发 穿木屐鞋 |
[19:04] | fond of rubbery cheese and high-quality beer, | 喜欢软奶酪和精品啤酒 |
[19:07] | yet somehow managing to maintain a trim and attractive figure. | 但身材修长苗条 |
[19:11] | – Isn’t it brilliant? – I’m not sure. | – 是不是听起来很棒 – 我说不好 |
[19:14] | Then it’s a good thing I’m the genius, isn’t it? | 我真是个天才 是吧 |
[19:16] | So, Antonio has asked for his loan, | 安东尼奥向他借钱 |
[19:19] | and Dutch Laas is reflecting on the fact | 荷兰人拉斯想起 |
[19:21] | that this same Antonio has | 安东尼奥以前侮辱过他 |
[19:22] | insulted him and plotted against him on the rialto. | 而且在市场中密谋算计过他 |
[19:25] | Kate, read it out for me. | 凯特 帮我读出来 |
[19:27] | You have something of the subtlety | 你和沃尔夫·狼厅一样 |
[19:29] | that I believe Wolf Hall will bring to the role. | 有着敏锐的洞察力 |
[19:33] | You hath disgraced me, laughed at my losses, mocked at my gains, | 你看不起我 嘲讽我的损失 讽刺我的收入 |
[19:38] | scorned at my nation. And what’s his reason? I am Dutch. | 侮辱我的国家 为什么呢 因为我是荷兰人 |
[19:47] | Excuse me, but, Bottom, Marlowe, why are you laughing? | 拜托 宝特姆 马洛 你们为什么笑 |
[19:50] | – Sorry, can’t help it. – It’s the accent. | – 抱歉 忍不住 – 因为口音 |
[19:53] | I beg your pardon, I do a very good Dutch accent. | 拜托 我模仿荷兰口音可像了 |
[19:56] | It just seems to play against the timeless majesty of the poetry. | 我觉得和台词的美感不搭 |
[20:00] | Well, surely that’s the whole point. | 没错 这才是重点 |
[20:01] | People are alienated by things they’re unfamiliar with | 人们远离自己不熟悉的东西 |
[20:04] | and thus despise them. | 并且鄙视它们 |
[20:06] | Kate, please, proceed. | 凯特 请继续 |
[20:09] | If you prick us, do we not bleed? | 你们要是用刀尖刺我们 我们不是也会出血的吗 |
[20:11] | If you tickle us, do we not laugh? | 你们要是搔我们的痒 我们不是也会笑起来的吗 |
[20:14] | If you poison us, do we not die? | 你们要是用毒药谋害我们 我们不是也会死的吗 |
[20:17] | And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? | 那么要是你们欺辱了我们 我们难道不会复仇吗 |
[20:20] | Actually, Mr Shakespeare… | 说实话 莎士比亚先生 |
[20:23] | Actually, Mr Shakespeare, | 说实话 莎士比亚先生 |
[20:25] | it is quite difficult to | 这里的庄严语气 |
[20:26] | get the required gravitas doing it Dutch. | 用荷兰口音很难体现出来 |
[20:28] | Yeah, and the clogs are going to make a terrible racket on the stage! | 没错 而且木屐鞋在舞台上会发出可怕的噪音 |
[20:31] | Also, it strikes me that, | 而且我突然发现 |
[20:32] | if you still want to set the play in Venice, | 如果你设定这出戏发生在威尼斯 |
[20:35] | that doesn’t work either. | 就说不通了 |
[20:36] | The Venetians don’t hate the Dutch. | 威尼斯人不恨荷兰人 |
[20:38] | In fact, Holland’s maritime | 实际上 因为荷兰人航海的成功 |
[20:39] | success has made them trading partners. | 他们之间还有贸易合作 |
[20:41] | Yeah, to be fair, Will, this anti-Dutch thing | 没错 威廉 即使在英国 |
[20:43] | is pretty recent, even in Britain. | 反荷兰情绪也是最近出现的 |
[20:45] | I mean, they’ve been our allies in the past. | 过去他们还是我们的盟友 |
[20:47] | People only hate the Dutch at the moment. | 人们只是现在恨荷兰人 |
[20:49] | Damn! You’re right. | 妈的 你说得对 |
[20:50] | If I’m to create a timeless classic, | 既然我要创造永恒的经典 |
[20:52] | I need a group that everybody persecutes, | 我得找一个人人迫害的群体 |
[20:55] | a people who truly encapsulate the eternal nature of ignorant prejudice and bigotry. | 长久遭受着偏见和排斥的人 |
[21:00] | But who can it be? | 但是谁呢 |
[21:01] | A ginge? | 红发的人 |
[21:05] | Yes, Bottom. Absolutely. A ginge would be perfect. | 没错 宝特姆 完全正确 红发的人完全可以 |
[21:08] | Carrot Top, the ginger moneylender of Venice. | “萝卜头” 红发威尼斯放贷人 |
[21:11] | The play will write itself. | 这出戏就顺理成章了 |
[21:13] | Except, hang on! There is one thing… | 等等 还有一件事 |
[21:15] | The Queen’s a ginge. | 女王也是红发 |
[21:17] | Mr Shakespeare, we can avoid the obvious no longer. | 莎士比亚先生 答案很明显 |
[21:20] | We seek a people who are universally vilified and despised. | 我们要遭受欺辱和鄙视的人群 |
[21:24] | There can be only one contender. | 只有一个人选 |
[21:27] | Of course… | 没错 |
[21:28] | A Scot! | 苏格兰人 |
[21:30] | Don’t be ridiculous, Mr Shakespeare. | 别瞎说了 莎士比亚先生 |
[21:32] | How can anyone dislike the Scots? | 谁会不喜欢苏格兰人呢 |
[21:34] | They are perfect in every way, as they keep telling us. | 他们简直完美 就跟他们自称的一样 |
[21:38] | Think about it, Mr Shakespeare. | 想想 莎士比亚先生 |
[21:40] | What we’ve learned from the riots here in London | 我们能从伦敦这里的暴乱中知道 |
[21:42] | is that people blame their troubles | 人们把问题归罪于生活中 |
[21:44] | on any convenient minority living amongst them, | 最容易接触到的少数群体 |
[21:47] | and there’s one group of people | 有一群人无论到何处 |
[21:49] | who are always in the minority wherever they go. | 都是少数群体 |
[21:51] | It’s time for another big Jew play. | 该写一出关于犹太人的戏剧了 |
[21:58] | I am to give my Jew once more. | 我又要扮演犹太人了 |
[22:01] | Oh, joy! Oh, joy! | 太高兴了 太高兴了 |
[22:03] | I shall have a new prop nose built. | 我该新做一个道具鼻子 |
[22:05] | Huge and hooked and warty. | 长满瘤子的大鹰钩鼻 |
[22:08] | And I shall hiss and lurk and prowl. | 我鬼鬼祟祟 贼头贼脑 |
[22:11] | And I’ll have a stock of prop babies | 邪恶的黑色长袍下 |
[22:13] | hidden beneath my black, sinister gown, | 藏满道具婴儿 |
[22:15] | from which I shall drink stage blood! | 我从婴儿身上吸道具血 |
[22:18] | Mr Burbage, the character is | 伯比奇先生 这个角色 |
[22:20] | supposed to be at least partially sympathetic. | 应该有一些同情心 |
[22:23] | Sympathetic Jew? Ha! Are you mad?! | 有同情心的犹太人吗 你疯了 |
[22:25] | Such a thing has ne’er been known in all European culture. | 所有欧洲文化里都不存在这种东西 |
[22:28] | That’s what’s going to make the play so memorable. | 所以这出戏才会令人印象深刻 |
[22:30] | Oh, so do you think I should | 所以你觉得我该 |
[22:32] | tone down the baby blood-drinking bit or…? | 少喝一点小孩血 还是… |
[22:34] | Yes, well, that’s kind of the point. | 是 就这个意思 |
[22:36] | We’re trying to rewrite the rules a bit on stage Jews here. | 我们要重新定义犹太人在舞台上的形象 |
[22:40] | Speaking of which, all this “Do we not bleed” Stuff, | 说到这个 “我们不是也会出血的吗”这一段 |
[22:42] | as if they’re the same as us, | 写得好像他们和我们一样似的 |
[22:44] | I presume you want me to play that for laughs. | 我猜你想让我把这段当成笑点来演吧 |
[22:46] | – Laughs? – Yes, it’s a joke. | – 笑点 – 对啊 这是个笑话 |
[22:48] | Obviously, Jews are not the same as us. | 很显然 犹太人跟我们不一样 |
[22:50] | They are a wicked, naughty people. | 他们是又邪恶又爱使坏的家伙 |
[22:52] | They drink the blood of Christian babies | 他们吸食基督宝宝的鲜血 |
[22:54] | and they poison Christian wells. | 还在基督徒的水井投毒 |
[22:56] | They deliberately created and spread bubonic plague. Fact. | 他们故意制造和传播了黑死病 这是事实 |
[22:59] | But have you ever actually seen any of these things? | 但是你们亲眼见过这些事情吗 |
[23:02] | Are you suggesting all this stuff is made up? | 你在暗示这些都是人们编的吗 |
[23:05] | Well, you have to wonder. | 总归有点可疑啊 |
[23:06] | I mean, they’re supposed to secretly run the world for their own advantage. | 按照这说法 他们暗中操纵世界 从中牟利 |
[23:09] | Well, if that’s true, quite frankly, | 如果这是真的 那老实说 |
[23:11] | they’re not doing much of a job, are they? | 他们工作做得不太到位 不是吗 |
[23:13] | I mean, they get hounded, beaten and murdered wherever they go. | 他们在哪都是人人喊打 得而诛之 |
[23:16] | Hath not a Jew eyes? | 难道犹太人没有眼睛吗 |
[23:18] | Hath not a Jew hands, | 难道犹太人没有五官 |
[23:20] | organs, | 四肢 |
[23:22] | dimensions, senses, | 没有知觉 没有感情 |
[23:25] | affections, passions? | 没有血气吗 |
[23:27] | Fed with the same food, | 他不是吃着同样的食物 |
[23:29] | hurt with the same weapons, | 同样的武器可以伤害他 |
[23:31] | subject to the same diseases, | 同样的医药 |
[23:33] | healed by the same means, | 可以疗治他 |
[23:36] | warmed and cooled | 冬天同样会冷 夏天同样会热 |
[23:37] | by the same winter and summer as a Christian is? | 就像一个基督徒一样吗 |
[23:42] | If you prick us, do we not bleed? | 你们要是用刀剑刺我们 我们不是也会出血的吗 |
[23:45] | If you tickle us, do we not laugh? | 你们要是搔我们的痒 我们不是也会笑起来的吗 |
[23:48] | If you poison us, do we not die? | 你们要是用毒药谋害我们 我们不是也会死的吗 |
[23:52] | And if you wrong us, | 那么要是你们欺侮了我们 |
[23:55] | shall we not revenge? | 我们难道不会复仇吗 |
[23:58] | Mr Burbage, Wolf Hall must play the Jew! | 伯比奇先生 犹太人必须由沃尔夫·霍尔来演 |
[24:02] | I’m sorry, that’s impossible. | 对不起 这不可能 |
[24:04] | I, Burbage, always play the title role. | 题目里的角色一直归我伯比奇 |
[24:06] | Oh, well, that’s all right, then. The title role is Antonio. | 那不影响的 题目里的角色是安东尼奥 |
[24:09] | – Antonio? – Yes, | – 安东尼奥吗 – 没错 |
[24:10] | Antonio is the merchant of Venice. | 安东尼奥是威尼斯商人 |
[24:12] | Really? | 真的吗 |
[24:13] | No one’s ever going to get that. Ever. | 这不可能有人看出来的 永远不可能 |
[24:17] | For evermore, people will | 不仅如此 人们都会 |
[24:18] | presume Shylock is the merchant of Venice. | 想当然地认为夏洛克是威尼斯商人 |
[24:21] | Well, he isn’t. Antonio is. | 他不是 安东尼奥才是 |
[24:23] | Very well, | 很好 |
[24:24] | then I shall give my Antonio. | 那我将出演安东尼奥 |
[24:27] | And Mr Hall will play the Jew, | 霍尔先生则扮演那个犹太人 |
[24:30] | my most startlingly nuanced creation to date. | 这是目前我最微妙最惊人的人物 |
[24:33] | A villainous character, of course, | 当然 是个十足的恶棍 |
[24:35] | but also with human emotions and even nobility. | 但同时也有人类的情感 甚至美德 |
[24:38] | Wolf Hall, it is an honour to have you in my play. | 沃尔夫·霍尔 很荣幸能有你出演我的戏剧 |
[24:41] | Yes, it is. | 当然了 |
[24:42] | Oh, although, of course, it isn’t your play. | 但是 很显然 这不是你的戏剧 |
[24:46] | – Not my play? – You didn’t write it. | – 不是我的戏 – 这不是你写的 |
[24:48] | Nor indeed any of your plays. | 别的戏也不是你写的 |
[24:50] | – What? – ‘Twas another scribe, I’m certain. | – 什么 – 我很确信这是枪手写的 |
[24:53] | A posh boy, no doubt? | 毫无疑问 是某个贵族 |
[24:54] | Didn’t write my plays? That’s insane! | 不是我写的 胡说八道 |
[24:57] | Burbage, Condell, Kempe, back me up here. | 伯比奇 康戴尔 坎普 为我说说话 |
[24:59] | Well, of course! | 当然了 |
[25:01] | But now it’s been said, Will, | 但他这么一说 威廉 |
[25:03] | it’s hard to get out of your mind. | 我也开始想了 |
[25:05] | I mean, innit weird? | 这不是很奇怪吗 |
[25:06] | We’ve seen you write bits of them, | 我们见过你写的片段 |
[25:08] | but now doubt’s been put in my mind, | 但是一旦疑虑开始在我脑海中盘旋 |
[25:09] | um, you know… | 你懂的… |
[25:11] | I can’t help wondering if all that proof is actually evidence | 我开始想 这是否是为了隐藏真相 |
[25:14] | of a vast conspiracy to hide the truth. | 是否是巨大阴谋的佐证 |
[25:16] | That you… | 这些戏… |
[25:17] | did not… | 并不是 |
[25:20] | write your plays. | 你自己写的 |
[25:22] | Shut up! | 闭嘴 |
[25:24] | Shut up! Stop saying it! | 闭嘴 别说了 |
[25:26] | By St Thomas’s tiny testicles, | 圣托马斯的小小睾丸在上 |
[25:28] | the more you say it, the more I must needs debunk it, | 你越说 我就越有必要反驳 |
[25:31] | yet the very process of | 但这反驳的过程 |
[25:32] | debunking it lends credibility to the lie. | 反而让谎言更为可信了 |
[25:35] | Get out! I ban you from my plays forever. | 滚 我永远禁止你出演我的任何戏作 |
[25:38] | You can go and do panto in the provinces. | 你就去穷乡僻壤演哑剧去吧 |
[25:40] | How very rude! | 太粗鲁了 |
[25:44] | I was only expressing reasonable doubt. | 我只是合理地表达怀疑 |
[25:52] | The actor Wolf Hall bids you goodbye. | 演员沃尔夫·霍尔与诸位告别 |
[25:57] | Well, Will, looks like you’re in need of a stage Jew. | 威廉 你似乎需要人来这个犹太人 |
[26:00] | Shylock is still not the title role, Burbage. | 夏洛克仍然不题目里的角色 |
[26:03] | The merchant of Venice is Antonio. | 威尼斯商人指的是安东尼奥 |
[26:05] | Will, believe me, no-one is ever, ever going to get that. | 相信我 威廉 永远都不可能有人看出来的 |
[26:12] | If you prick us, do we not bleed? | 你们要是用刀剑刺我们 我们不是也会出血的吗 |
[26:14] | If you poison us, do we not die? | 你们要是用毒药谋害我们 我们不是也会死的吗 |
[26:16] | And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge?! | 那么要是你们欺侮了我们 我们难道不会复仇吗 |
[26:29] | Looks like promoting tolerance and understanding | 宣传宽容和理解 |
[26:31] | might be a bit of a bigger project than we thought. | 可能比我们想象得更任重道远 |
[26:34] | Yes, Mr Shakespeare. | 是的 莎士比亚先生 |
[26:35] | I fear it may be a long time | 恐怕要很长时间之后 |
[26:37] | before the play’s message of | 这部戏剧所传达的 |
[26:39] | inclusiveness and tolerance finds an audience. | 包容和宽宥才能被理解 |
[26:41] | Actually, I’m not so sure. My daughter Susanna has asked | 其实也不一定 我女儿苏珊娜问我 |
[26:44] | if she might use a passage from it as a teaching aid. | 她能不能用其中的一段去教育孩子们 |
[26:47] | Settle down! | 安静 |
[26:50] | As you know, my dad’s famous, | 如你们所知 我爸特别有名 |
[26:53] | and he’s given me one of his speeches to be recited | 他给了我一篇演讲稿 |
[26:55] | for the next village gladsome gadabout, | 好在下一次村里的盛会上背给大家听 |
[26:57] | to raise money for the school. | 来为学校筹钱 |
[26:59] | And I have chosen one of you to recite it. | 我选了你们中的一个来背诵 |
[27:03] | Up you get, Rodney. | 上来吧 罗德尼 |
[27:11] | Hath I not eyes? | 难道我没有眼睛吗 |
[27:13] | Have I not hands, organs, dimensions, senses, | 难道我没有五官四肢 没有知觉 |
[27:18] | affections, passions? | 没有感情 没有血气吗 |
[27:22] | Fed with the same food, | 不是吃着同样的食物 |
[27:25] | hurt with the same weapons? | 会被同样的武器伤害吗 |
[27:28] | If you prick me, do I not bleed? | 你们要是用刀剑刺我们 我们不是也会出血的吗 |
[27:31] | If you tickle me, do I not laugh? | 你们要是搔我们的痒 我们不是也会笑起来的吗 |
[27:34] | If you poison me, do I not die? | 你们要是用毒药谋害我们 我们不是也会死的吗 |
[27:43] | Nice one, Rodney. | 说得好 罗德尼 |
[27:50] | There’s some lovely stuff in that play, Will. | 那部戏写得不错 威廉 |
[27:53] | And those lines Rodney said… They were beautiful. | 罗德尼那几句… 写得很美 |
[27:56] | And of course it represents | 无疑 这是人类文化中 |
[27:58] | a game-changing moment in world culture. | 一次里程碑式的转变 |
[28:00] | – You think? – Oh, no doubt about it. | – 是吗 – 绝对的 |
[28:02] | In creating the world’s first | 我创造了世界上第一个 |
[28:04] | slightly sympathetic Jew, | 略微有点同情心的犹太人 |
[28:06] | I have set humanity upon a path | 将人性引向了康庄大道 |
[28:08] | which must lead inevitably | 这无疑会带领人们 |
[28:09] | to a world of universal tolerance, peace, love and understanding. | 走向一个充满包容 和平 爱与理解的世界 |
[28:14] | I am literally that good. | 我就是这么棒 |
[28:16] | Course you are, love. | 当然了 亲爱的 |
[28:19] | Do you know, I don’t think your hair’s receding at all. | 你知道吗 我根本不觉得你的发际线在上移 |
[28:22] | Really, my sweet? | 真的吗 亲爱的 |
[28:23] | That’s encouraging. | 太好了 |
[28:24] | No, what’s happened is… | 不 实际上其实是… |
[28:25] | your head’s got bigger. | 你的头越长越大了 |