时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:02] | Hello, Mrs. Cooper. I just wanted to let you know, | 你好 库珀太太 我只是想告诉你 |
[00:04] | with Dr. Sturgis away, | 虽然斯特吉斯博士不在了 |
[00:06] | I’ll be available should Sheldon need anything. | 但是以后我也会帮忙照看谢尔顿 |
[00:08] | Now, I’m not terribly experienced around children. | 我对照顾小孩的经验不算太多 想请问一下 |
[00:11] | If he needs to use the restroom, | 如果他想上厕所 |
[00:12] | I don’t have to go in with him, do I? | 我不需要陪他进去吧 |
[00:15] | I don’t need you to babysit me. | 我不需要你来当我的保姆 |
[00:17] | I’m perfectly self-reliant. | 我完全可以自力更生 |
[00:19] | Then it’s good I kept the receipt | 幸好我还留着这个 |
[00:20] | for this bottle of bubbles shaped like a bear. | 熊形状吹泡泡瓶的收据 |
[00:23] | Welcome to the world of philosophy. | 欢迎来到哲学的世界 |
[00:25] | I’m going to teach you | 我要教导你们 |
[00:27] | that you don’t even know what you think you know. | 其实你们以为自己懂的事物 你们并非真的懂 |
[00:30] | Oh, boy. | 天啊 |
[00:31] | – I’m not going to school. – Why not? | -我不去学校 -为什么 |
[00:34] | Because I don’t know what’s real. | 因为我不知道什么才是真的 |
[00:37] | Nothing matters. | 什么都不重要了 |
[00:39] | George?! | 乔治 |
[00:45] | All right, what’s the problem here? | 好啦 所以是有什么问题 |
[00:47] | I don’t know what’s real. | 我不知道何为真何为假 |
[00:48] | That’s a fun thing to think about on the way to school. | 这个有趣的问题你可以在上学的路上思考 |
[00:50] | Get up and get dressed. | 赶紧起床换衣服 |
[00:52] | Maybe I’m already dressed. | 也许我已经穿好了 |
[00:53] | Maybe I’m wearing a zoot suit and spats. | 也许我正穿着佐特西装与靴套 |
[00:56] | That’s a shoe covering that’s short for “Spatterdasher.” | 这是套在靴子上的东西 全名是”高筒靴鞋套” |
[00:59] | Or is it? | 但真是这样吗 |
[01:00] | There’s no way to know. | 我们无从得知 |
[01:01] | Here’s what I know: I don’t have time for this nonsense. | 我只知道我没时间听你在这里胡说八道 |
[01:04] | What is time? | 何谓时间 |
[01:05] | What is sense? | 何谓”道” |
[01:06] | What is “is”? | 何谓”是” |
[01:08] | Sheldon, I mean it. | 谢尔顿 我是说真的 |
[01:09] | I remember when things meant things. | 曾经理即是理 |
[01:11] | All right, I’m gonna count to three. One… | 好 我现在数到三 一 |
[01:13] | Believing in numbers– that takes me back. | 相信数字的意义 令我想起当年啊 |
[01:16] | – Two… – To be or not to be. | -二 -生存还是死去 |
[01:18] | Shakespeare was onto something. | 莎士比亚颇有见地啊 |
[01:20] | It’s your last chance. | 这是你最后的机会了 |
[01:22] | Have you ever wondered if you’re the tongue | 你可曾想过 或许你只是 |
[01:23] | of a multidimensional being trying to taste something | 某个多维生物的舌头 正在试着品味 |
[01:26] | you can never even understand? | 自身永远无法理解的事物呢 |
[01:29] | I have. | 我想过 |
[01:34] | I talked to him. | 我去跟他说过了 |
[01:37] | Where is your mother? | 你妈呢 |
[01:38] | She had to leave for work. | 她上班必须得出门了 |
[01:40] | I have to work, too. | 我也得上班啊 |
[01:41] | You also get to take me to school. | 你还得到了载我去上学的任务 |
[01:43] | What am I supposed to do about your brother? | 那我该拿你弟弟怎么办 |
[01:45] | Call me old-fashioned, | 可能我比较老派吧 |
[01:46] | but I say spank him. | 我觉得你打他屁股就行了 |
[01:48] | Your mom won’t let me. | 你妈不让我打呀 |
[01:50] | ♪ Nobody else is stronger than I am ♪ | ♪ 世上没人比我强壮 ♪ |
[01:53] | ♪ Yesterday I moved a mountain ♪ | ♪ 昨天我移了一座山 ♪ |
[01:56] | ♪ I bet I could be your hero ♪ | ♪ 我相信我能当你的英雄 ♪ |
[01:59] | ♪ I am a mighty little man ♪ | ♪ 我是个了不起的小家伙 ♪ |
[02:01] | ♪ I am a mighty little man ♪ | ♪ 我是个了不起的小家伙 ♪ |
[02:09] | Okay, I’m here. | 行了 老娘驾到 |
[02:11] | What’s up? | 有何事相求 |
[02:12] | Sheldon won’t get out of bed, and I’m gonna be late for work. | 谢尔顿不愿意下床 我上班快迟到 |
[02:14] | He’s gonna be late for school. | 他上学也要迟到了 |
[02:15] | So you want me to get him up and drive him? | 所以你是要我把他挖起来并载去学校吗 |
[02:18] | Yeah. | 是的 |
[02:19] | I like it better when I just come eat your food and leave. | 我比较喜欢来你家蹭吃蹭喝完就走的时候 |
[02:24] | Hey, Moon Pie. | 小饼饼 |
[02:26] | What’s going on here? | 你怎么啦 |
[02:27] | That’s an excellent question. | 这是个好问题 |
[02:28] | Too bad there’s no answer. | 可惜这个问题没有答案 |
[02:30] | Well, you need to get out of bed. | 你必须起床了 |
[02:32] | I don’t need to do anything. | 我不需要做任何事 |
[02:34] | Okay, I’m gonna count to three. | 行 我给你数到三 |
[02:35] | Dad already counted to three. | 爸爸已经数过了 |
[02:39] | Did he try the Texas thing? | 那他试过德州那招吗 |
[02:40] | No. | 没有 |
[02:41] | In that case, | 那来吧 |
[02:44] | look at you, lyin’ there. | 看看你躺在那里的窝囊样 |
[02:46] | When a Texan gets knocked off a horse, | 当一个德州好汉摔落马时 |
[02:47] | he gets right back on. | 他会立刻重新骑上马 |
[02:49] | That is the second most important thing about bein’ a Texan, | 这可是德州人第二重要的大事 |
[02:52] | right after thinkin’ you’re better than everybody else. | 而第一重要的 就是相信自己高全世界一等 |
[02:57] | Maybe the horse gets back on the Texan. | 也许是马又重新驮上了德州人呢 |
[02:59] | Who’s to say? | 谁能知晓 |
[03:02] | I don’t know what that means. | 我不知道这是什么意思 |
[03:03] | That’s because you can’t know anything. | 因为人没有办法知道任何东西 |
[03:08] | If you need to stare at the ceiling | 如果你也想要盯着天花板 |
[03:09] | and contemplate the futility of existence, | 思索存在的徒劳 |
[03:11] | Missy’s bed is available. | 米希的床现在能让你躺 |
[03:16] | Amazing. | 牛逼 |
[03:18] | What is? | 什么 |
[03:19] | I’ve been using this same pen for seven months, | 我连续用着同一支笔七个月了 |
[03:21] | and it’s still going. | 它还屹立不倒 |
[03:23] | That’s your bar for amazing? | 你牛逼的标准这么低吗 |
[03:24] | Yeah. | 对啊 |
[03:26] | Sad. | 真可怜 |
[03:28] | It’s the same pen. | 是同一只笔耶 |
[03:30] | It is too early in the morning for you. | 你这也太早就开始发癫了吧 |
[03:33] | Hello. | 你好 |
[03:35] | Yeah. I’ll be down in a bit. | 好的 我马上过去 |
[03:39] | Where ya headed? | 你要去哪 |
[03:40] | Principal’s office. | 校长办公室 |
[03:42] | Ooh, you’re in trouble… | 有人惹麻烦啦 |
[03:44] | You’re a child. | 你好幼稚 |
[03:46] | I’d rather be a child than in trouble. | 我宁愿幼稚也不要惹麻烦 |
[03:49] | Shelly, | 谢利 |
[03:50] | Dr. Sturgis is on the line for you. | 斯特吉斯博士在电话上 |
[03:53] | Maybe he is, maybe he isn’t, | 或许在 或许不在 |
[03:55] | but very well. | 不过行吧 |
[03:56] | – Hello? – Hi, Sheldon. | -你好 -你好啊 谢尔顿 |
[03:58] | I hear you’re going through some sort of existential crisis. | 我听说你在面临一些存在感危机 |
[04:02] | I suppose so. | 或许吧 |
[04:03] | I just don’t know if we can tell what’s real or not. | 但我们如何能说什么是真的什么不是呢 |
[04:06] | And if nothing’s real, | 所以如果什么都不是真的 |
[04:07] | I don’t know what to think or if I’m even thinking at all. | 我不知道该想什么 或我到底有没有在思考了 |
[04:10] | I went through something similar once. | 我也曾经历过类似的情况 |
[04:13] | Really? What happened? | 真的吗 是怎么回事 |
[04:15] | I was trekking through the Amazon, | 我当年在亚马逊森林里跋山蹚水时 |
[04:18] | and I saw two frogs, | 见到了两只青蛙 |
[04:20] | one hallucinogenic | 其中一只的体液有致幻效果 |
[04:22] | and the other not. | 而另一只没有 |
[04:24] | I tried to lick the normal one, | 我本来要去舔普通的那只 |
[04:28] | and, by mistake, | 没想到舔错了 |
[04:29] | I licked the hallucinogenic one. | 舔到了会致幻的那只 |
[04:32] | It really rocked my world. | 我的世界瞬间被颠覆了 |
[04:34] | Why would you lick either of them? | 你为什么会想舔任何一只青蛙呢 |
[04:37] | I’m not sure. Probably low blood sugar. | 不确定 可能我当时血糖低 晕了吧 |
[04:40] | But the point is, | 但我要说的重点是 |
[04:41] | I also lost track of reality. | 我也失去了对真实的掌握 |
[04:44] | How did you handle it? | 那你是怎么面对的 |
[04:45] | I saw a jaguar, | 我遇到了一只美洲豹 |
[04:47] | and I realized I didn’t care if it was real or not. | 结果发现我根本不在乎它是真是假 |
[04:51] | I just hauled my tushy out of there. | 我反正就赶紧溜之大吉 |
[04:55] | I appreciate the call. | 谢谢你的电话 |
[04:56] | I’m giving you back to my meemaw now. | 我要把电话转交给姥姥了 |
[04:58] | Bye! | 再见 |
[05:03] | Hey, John, | 你好啊 约翰 |
[05:04] | any luck? | 成功了吗 |
[05:06] | Not unless you have access to a jaguar. | 除非你有办法能弄来一只美洲豹 |
[05:08] | I don’t think I do. | 我没这个本事 |
[05:10] | Really, any jungle cat will do. | 真的吗 任何一种丛林里的猫科都行啊 |
[05:14] | Hey, Tom. | 我来了 汤姆 |
[05:15] | George. | 乔治 |
[05:16] | Sheldon’s not here anymore. | 谢尔顿不在这里上学以后 |
[05:17] | Thought it’d be a while before I got called back | 我还以为得过好些日子 |
[05:19] | into the principal’s office. | 才会再被叫来校长办公室 |
[05:21] | How’s he doing? I miss that kid. | 他最近如何 挺想念那孩子 |
[05:23] | He took a philosophy class and won’t get out of bed | 他上完一堂哲学课后就不愿意下床 |
[05:25] | ’cause he doesn’t know what’s real anymore. | 因为他不知道世间万物的真假了 |
[05:28] | Anyway, uh, | 言归正传吧 |
[05:30] | we need to talk about Georgie. | 我们得谈谈小乔治的事 |
[05:32] | Should’ve seen that coming. | 我早该猜到了 |
[05:34] | – What’s wrong? – Well, he’s been cutting classes. | -他出什么事了 -他翘了很多课 |
[05:37] | Already? | 这就开始翘了吗 |
[05:38] | Semester’s barely started. | 学期才刚开始啊 |
[05:40] | He’s a go-getter. | 他是个行动力很强的孩子 |
[05:43] | – I’ll talk to him. – Thanks. | -我再去找他谈谈 -谢谢 |
[05:47] | How’s the team looking this year, George? | 球队今年情况如何啊 乔治 |
[05:49] | We just had one difficult conversation, Tom. | 汤姆 我们刚刚才聊完一件惨事 |
[05:51] | Let’s not have another. | 先别那么快再聊另一件吧 |
[05:53] | Smart. | 好主意 |
[05:54] | While my meemaw wasn’t able to acquire a jungle cat, | 虽然我姥姥没有弄来丛林猫科的方式 |
[05:58] | the idea of tormenting a child did tickle her Texan fancy. | 但刑求小孩这件事很对她的胃口 |
[06:02] | Sheldon. | 谢尔顿 |
[06:07] | I have someone else who wants to talk to you. | 想跟你聊聊的可不止教授 |
[06:10] | What are you doing with that filthy thing? | 你拿着这恶心的生物想做什么 |
[06:11] | Why do you care? | 你管这个干嘛 |
[06:13] | If nothing is real, | 反正什么都是假的 |
[06:15] | then neither is the chicken. | 这只鸡也是假的 |
[06:19] | Oh. Good. | 很好 |
[06:21] | We’re standing now. That’s progress. | 现在能站起来了 终于有点进步 |
[06:23] | Get her out of here. | 把它从这里弄出去 |
[06:24] | Well, I would, but… | 我可以啊 但是… |
[06:27] | apparently, I can’t know what “here” Is. | 我怎么能知道”这里”是哪里呢 |
[06:31] | So maybe I could just… | 所以或许我该… |
[06:33] | set her on your bed. | 直接把它放你床上 |
[06:34] | Okay! Okay. | 好了好了 |
[06:36] | I’ll get dressed. | 我这就换衣服 |
[06:37] | Make it snappy. | 麻利点 |
[06:39] | This still doesn’t solve my existential crisis. | 但这并不能解决我的存在感危机 |
[06:42] | Say what? You want to hold her? | 你说什么 你想抱它吗 |
[06:44] | No. | 不想 |
[06:46] | Less talk. | 废话少点 |
[06:47] | More pants. | 换装快点 |
[06:58] | What’s your first class? | 你第一堂课是什么时候 |
[07:00] | Solid-State Physics at 11:30. | 11点半有固体物理学课 |
[07:02] | We’ll make it just in time. | 我们来得及赶上 |
[07:04] | – Although, … – And before you say | -虽然… -在你说 |
[07:06] | “Does time even exist?” It does. | “时间真的存在吗”之前 它存在 |
[07:09] | So stop wasting mine. | 所以别再浪费我的时间了 |
[07:15] | What’s this philosophy teacher’s name? | 这个哲学老师叫什么名字 |
[07:17] | – Professor Ericson. – Why? | -埃里克森教授 -怎么了 |
[07:19] | I might pop in and say hello. | 我或许会过去跟她打个招呼 |
[07:21] | Be careful. | 小心一点 |
[07:22] | She may make you question your most deeply held values. | 她可能会让你开始质疑自己最珍视的价值观 |
[07:25] | I’m a stubborn old crank. | 我是个顽固的暴躁老太婆 |
[07:27] | I’ll do just fine. | 我能扛得住 |
[07:29] | I’m a stubborn young crank, and it didn’t help me. | 我是个顽固的暴躁小年轻 也是没用啊 |
[07:35] | You wanted to see me? | 你找我吗 |
[07:37] | Sit down. | 坐下 |
[07:39] | Is this gonna take long? I need to get to class. | 要说很久吗 我还有课 |
[07:41] | From what I hear, you don’t care about that. | 是吗 我可听说你不在意上课 |
[07:43] | Now, sit. | 给老子坐下 |
[07:50] | What the hell you doin’? | 你搞什么鬼呢 |
[07:51] | I cut a class. Who cares? | 我就翘了堂课 谁在乎啊 |
[07:53] | It was more than one, and I care. | 我在意 而且你可不止翘了一堂课 |
[07:56] | You start flunking out, you’re gonna get kicked off the team. | 你一旦开始挂科 你会被踢出球队的 |
[07:59] | Fine. | 那就踢吧 |
[08:00] | Now you don’t care about football? | 你现在也不在乎打球了吗 |
[08:02] | Not really. | 不太在乎 |
[08:05] | I don’t know what’s going on with you, | 我不知道你是在闹哪样 |
[08:06] | but you better get your head out of your ass. | 但你脑子里的屎倒一倒吧 |
[08:08] | Football’s a waste of time. | 打球纯属浪费时间 |
[08:09] | I have a job I could be at. | 那时间我拿去工作不是更好吗 |
[08:11] | You made a commitment to the team and you’re gonna honor it. | 你进队时你就有了责任 有责任你就该担起它 |
[08:16] | We done? | 说完没 |
[08:20] | Just get back to class. | 给我滚回去上课 |
[08:23] | And I better see you at practice. | 球队练习时最好别让我找不到你 |
[08:25] | Well, I don’t know if I can find it with my head up my ass. | 我脑子里都装屎了 不知道还找不找得到路 |
[08:30] | So, | 那么 |
[08:31] | according to de Broglie, lambda equals “h” divided by “m” times what? | 德布罗意认为 λ等于h除以m乘以什么 |
[08:31] | 法国理论物理学家 物质波理论创立者 | |
[08:35] | Sheldon. | 谢尔顿 |
[08:36] | Is it velocity? | 是速度v吗 |
[08:38] | Yes. Now… | 没错 接下来… |
[08:38] | Or is it a velociraptor? | 还是迅猛龙 |
[08:41] | I’m sorry? | 你说什么 |
[08:41] | Perhaps lambda equals “h” divided by “m” times a velociraptor. | 说不定λ等于h除以m乘以迅猛龙 |
[08:46] | Or a velveteen rabbit. | 或是乘以绒毛兔 |
[08:48] | Ooh, or Velveeta. | 又或是味维他芝士 |
[08:49] | That’s the cheese my mom puts on broccoli | 我妈想高级一把时 |
[08:51] | when she’s being fancy. | 就会用这种芝士烹饪西兰花 |
[08:53] | Is this from your philosophy class | 你这套从哪学来的 哲学课 |
[08:55] | or perhaps that Ren & Stumpy I’ve heard about? | 还是我听说过的那个卡通《雷恩和矮墩》 |
[08:55] | 实为《雷恩和斯丁皮》 发音接近 | |
[08:58] | Philosophy. | 哲学课 |
[09:00] | Mr. Cooper, do you really believe | 库珀先生 你真认为 |
[09:02] | that de Broglie’s equation contains Velveeta cheese? | 德布罗意的等式包含味维他芝士 |
[09:05] | I don’t know. Maybe he was just trying to be fancy. | 我不知道 没准他也只是想高级一把呢 |
[09:09] | Hello. | 你好 |
[09:10] | Can I help you? | 请问有什么事 |
[09:11] | Hi. I’m Connie Tucker. | 我是康妮·塔克 |
[09:13] | I’m Sheldon Cooper’s grandmother. | 我是谢尔顿·库珀的姥姥 |
[09:15] | Oh. Nice to meet you. | 很高兴认识你 |
[09:18] | He is a remarkable young man. | 他是个非常优秀的年轻人 |
[09:20] | Yes, he is. He’s also a very impressionable young man. | 是啊 他也是个极易受影响的年轻人 |
[09:23] | Kind of like a lump of clay with a bow tie. | 可以说是块戴领结的黏土 任人搓圆按扁 |
[09:27] | All I did was teach him about epistemology. | 我不过是教了他认识论 |
[09:30] | Whatever it is you’re teaching him, | 不管你教了他什么 |
[09:31] | it has made him question everything. | 都导致了他质疑世间万物 |
[09:34] | That’s the goal. | 这就是我的目的啊 |
[09:36] | Lady, I had to threaten him with a chicken | 女士 我为了逼他换裤子出门 |
[09:38] | so he’d put his pants on. | 甚至动用到鸡来威胁他 |
[09:40] | I don’t know what’s gotten into that kid. | 我不知道那孩子是怎么了 |
[09:42] | He’s allowed to not want to play football. | 他有权不想打橄榄球啊 |
[09:44] | Can you for once in your life take my side, Wayne? | 你就不能支持我一次吗 韦恩 |
[09:47] | Not my fault you’re never right. | 你每次都错也不能怪我啊 |
[09:50] | So you think it’s okay he just quits? | 他就这样轻易放弃 你觉得没问题 |
[09:52] | He doesn’t get that much playing time. | 他上场时间又不多 |
[09:55] | Well, in my family, we don’t quit. | 我们家的人从不放弃 |
[09:58] | Oh, I don’t know. You quit my book club pretty quick. | 我可不确定 你退出我读书会就挺快的 |
[10:00] | I’m talking about football! | 我在说橄榄球啦 |
[10:02] | Why is it so important to you that he play? | 他打球为什么对你那么重要 |
[10:05] | Are you sure you’re a coach? | 你真是教练吗 |
[10:07] | Team sports provides confidence, leadership, discipline. | 团队运动能给人自信 领导能力 纪律性 |
[10:11] | So does holding down a job, | 保住一份工作也一样 |
[10:13] | which he seems to shine at. | 那方面他貌似表现很出色 |
[10:16] | Let’s just eat in silence. | 我们还是安静吃饭吧 |
[10:18] | Fine. | 行 |
[10:23] | I still think you should have read The Color Purple. | 我还是觉得你该看《紫颜色》那本书的 |
[10:25] | We were bawling. | 我们都看哭了 |
[10:28] | Although tasty, a brick of cheese is not a number. | 虽然芝士块很美味 但它不是数字 |
[10:31] | Why are we still talking about this? | 我们为什么还在聊这个 |
[10:33] | Maybe we’re not talking at all. | 也许我们根本没在说话 |
[10:35] | Okay, that’s enough for today. | 今天的课就上到这里 |
[10:38] | Not your best lecture. | 不是你最精彩的一课 |
[10:40] | It’s fairly normal for first-time | 第一次接触哲学的学生 |
[10:41] | philosophy students to have their worldviews shaken. | 感到世界观被动摇 很正常 |
[10:45] | Do they snap out of it? | 他们会摆脱这状态吗 |
[10:46] | Well, you hope. | 希望会啦 |
[10:48] | Professor Ericson, I insist… | 埃里克森教授 我坚持… |
[10:51] | Hello, Connie. What a pleasant surprise. | 你好 康妮 见到你真惊喜 |
[10:55] | I’m sorry you’re about to see me speak harshly to my colleague. | 很抱歉你即将看到我对同事疾言厉色 |
[10:58] | – Have at it. – Professor Ericson, | -尽情骂吧 -埃里克森教授 |
[10:59] | I insist that you speak to this young man | 我坚持要你和这位年轻人谈谈 |
[11:01] | and explain to him that reality is real, | 给他解释清楚 现实是真实存在的 |
[11:03] | and it’s possible to know things as fact. | 完全有可能知道某些事是事实 |
[11:05] | The class is called “Introduction to Philosophy.” | 这门课叫”哲学入门” |
[11:08] | That’s what I did. | 我只是带他们入门而已 |
[11:09] | Well, un-introduce him. | 那就带他”出门” |
[11:11] | Yes, he’s at this school ’cause of his brilliant scientific mind, | 没错 他来我校是因为他有绝佳的科学头脑 |
[11:14] | and he spent my last class talking about processed cheese. | 可我上一节课他一直在聊加工芝士 |
[11:17] | Sheldon, is that true? | 谢尔顿 这是真的吗 |
[11:18] | Nothing’s true. | 没有什么是真的 |
[11:20] | You see what you’ve done? You broke him. | 你看到你干的好事了吗 你把他毁了 |
[11:27] | How come you didn’t want to get out of bed this morning? | 你今早为什么不想起床 |
[11:30] | If I can’t know what’s real, what’s the point? | 如果我无法知道什么是真实的 还有什么意义 |
[11:34] | You have the right words. | 你的话没错 |
[11:36] | You’re just saying them wrong. | 你只是语气错了 |
[11:38] | It’s not, “What’s the point?” | 不是万念俱灰的”还有什么意义” |
[11:41] | It’s, “What’s the point?” | 而是求知提问 “这个的意义是什么呢” |
[11:44] | I don’t understand. | 我不明白 |
[11:45] | Asking these questions is exciting. | 提出这些问题让人激动兴奋 |
[11:48] | It’s what gets me out of bed. | 这是我起床的动力 |
[11:51] | That’s interesting. | 有意思 |
[11:53] | Richard Feynman did say | 理查德·费曼的确说过 |
[11:55] | the greatest joy in life is the pleasure of finding things out. | 人生最大的乐趣莫过于找到问题的答案 |
[11:58] | Feynman– he’s the physics guy, right? | 费曼 是那个搞物理的 对吧 |
[12:01] | Yes. And your perfume is beguiling. | 对 还有 你的香水令人沉醉 |
[12:05] | It’s all making sense to me now. | 仿佛醍醐灌顶 |
[12:07] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[12:08] | I am happy to help. | 我很乐意帮忙 |
[12:10] | Dr. Linkletter, I’m dropping your class | 林克莱特博士 我要退选你的课 |
[12:12] | and switching my major to philosophy. | 把我的专业改成哲学 |
[12:14] | Uh, what? | 什么 |
[12:23] | It’s funny. This morning, I couldn’t get out of bed, | 真奇妙 今早我还起不了床 |
[12:25] | and now I stand before a whole new exciting field of study. | 现在却有一个全新的研究领域等我去踏足 好激动 |
[12:28] | Well, maybe instead of making this big switch, | 或许你不该轻易转专业 |
[12:32] | you could study both. | 你可以两门课一起修啊 |
[12:33] | You could be physics-philosophy guy. | 当个物理哲学家之类的 |
[12:36] | You sound like a logical positivist. | 你听起来是个逻辑实证论者 |
[12:38] | That’s a branch of philosophy that maintains | 这个哲学分支主张 |
[12:40] | the best way to philosophize is through science. | 进行哲学探讨的最佳方式是通过科学 |
[12:42] | Well, there you go. Do that. | 这就对了 就这么做吧 |
[12:45] | It may be too early to specialize. | 现在就决定专攻的哲学学派有点太早 |
[12:46] | I’ve only been a philosopher for 15 minutes. | 毕竟我才刚当哲学家15分钟左右 |
[12:50] | Did you notice Dr. Linkletter didn’t look too thrilled | 你有没注意到林克莱特博士不太开心 |
[12:53] | about you leaving science? | 因为你要离开科学界 |
[12:55] | He never looks thrilled about anything. | 他对任何事都是摆出这副不开心脸 |
[12:56] | I think that’s just his face. | 他应该只是长成那样啦 |
[12:59] | That’s the face. | 就是你脸上这个表情 |
[13:07] | Why the hell weren’t you at practice? | 你为什么没去训练 |
[13:08] | Can’t talk right now. I’m working. | 现在没空聊 我在上班 |
[13:10] | Well, you’re gonna talk about it. | 你必须跟老子说清楚 |
[13:13] | What do you want from me? | 你到底想要我怎么样 |
[13:14] | I don’t want to play football. I want to work. | 我不想打橄榄球 我想上班 |
[13:17] | You have your whole life to hold down a job. | 你还有一辈子时间去干一份工作 |
[13:20] | Hey, I like my job. | 我喜欢我的工作 |
[13:21] | It’s not my problem you hate yours. | 而你讨厌你的 与我无关 |
[13:29] | Do whatever you want. | 随你便吧 |
[13:32] | To figure out which school of philosophy suited me best, | 为了确定哪个哲学学派最适合我 |
[13:35] | I decided to sample each one. | 我决定每个都尝试一下 |
[13:38] | The same way I determined my favorite flavor of oatmeal– | 我也是用这办法决定我最喜欢的燕麦粥口味的 |
[13:41] | plain. | 我最爱的是原味啦 |
[13:46] | What are you doing? | 你在干嘛 |
[13:47] | I’m practicing the philosophy of cynicism– | 我在遵循犬儒哲学 |
[13:50] | the ancient Greek view | 古希腊人认为 |
[13:51] | that the rules of society should be ignored. | 人应该无视社会规则 |
[13:54] | If you’re gonna break rules, you can do better than that. | 你要是想打破规矩 你得做更出格一点 |
[13:56] | How? | 怎么做 |
[13:59] | Renaissance humanism is | 文艺复兴时期的人文主义 |
[14:01] | finding meaning in the human form through art. | 就是通过艺术找到人体形态的意义 |
[14:05] | – Can I move? – No. | -我能动吗 -不能 |
[14:07] | But my butt itches. | 但我屁屁很痒 |
[14:08] | Scratch it on your own time. | 等我画完你再抠 |
[14:14] | Nihilists believe that there’s no point to anything, | 虚无主义者认为任何事物的存在都没有意义 |
[14:16] | because it all ends in nothingness. | 因为一切都以虚无告终 |
[14:18] | Mind if I put on MTV? | 我可以看MTV台吗 |
[14:20] | Doesn’t matter. We’re all gonna die anyway. | 无所谓 反正我们都会死 |
[14:22] | Deep thought, dingus. | 发人深思啊 傻子 |
[14:24] | Traditionalism is the philosophy | 传统主义这门学说 |
[14:26] | that the best way of life is a return to the past. | 认为最好的生活方式是回到过去 |
[14:29] | What are you doing? | 你在干什么 |
[14:31] | Making my own butter, like in olden times. | 像古人一样自制黄油 |
[14:35] | That’s stupid. | 蠢毙了 |
[14:37] | My arms are still sore. | 我手臂到现在还酸着呢 |
[14:39] | Altruism is the belief that we should live | 利他主义恪守的原则是 |
[14:42] | only by bringing happiness to others. | 我们活着只为给他人带来快乐 |
[14:44] | These are for you. | 这些是给你的 |
[14:46] | Thanks. | 谢了 |
[14:47] | What the hell?! | 搞毛啊 |
[14:49] | Egoism is the belief | 利己主义则认为 |
[14:50] | that we should live only by bringing happiness to ourselves. | 我们活着只为给自己带来快乐 |
[14:53] | Mmm. These are pretty good. | 真好吃 |
[14:55] | Transcendentalists were | 先验论者 |
[14:57] | philosophers who believed that our deepest connection | 这类哲学家相信和我们联系最深的 |
[15:00] | is with nature. | 是自然 |
[15:10] | I’m beautiful. | 我好美哦 |
[15:14] | And then Georgie accuses me of hating my job. | 然后乔治竟敢说我讨厌我的工作 |
[15:18] | Is this where I thought I’d end up? No. | 我想过我会沦落到干这个吗 当然没有 |
[15:21] | Is this where you thought you’d end up? | 你想过你会沦落到干这个吗 |
[15:22] | I thought I’d be working at my father’s funeral home | 我本以为我会在我爸的殡仪馆工作 |
[15:24] | sewing people’s eyes shut. | 帮死人把眼睛缝起来 |
[15:26] | My life turned out great. | 我的人生其实变得很美妙 |
[15:28] | Well, good for you. | 恭喜你啊 |
[15:31] | The worst part is, I think Georgie’s right. | 最糟心的是 小乔治好像说对了 |
[15:35] | You’re not happy at work? | 你工作得不开心吗 |
[15:37] | I can see if my dad’s hiring. | 我可以问问我爸请不请人 |
[15:38] | How are your sewing skills? | 你缝纫技术怎么样 |
[15:40] | It’s not work. | 不是工作 |
[15:44] | Honestly, I don’t know if I’m happy anywhere. | 说实话 我不知道我有没有开心的时候 |
[15:49] | Ugh. When I asked y’all to hang for a drink, | 我邀请你们一起喝酒时 |
[15:52] | I didn’t know you were gonna be such a bummer. | 可没料到你会这么扫兴 |
[15:58] | Geez Louise. | 老天啊 |
[16:12] | – Dr. Linkletter? – Sheldon. | -林克莱特博士 -谢尔顿 |
[16:14] | Good to see you. | 见到你很高兴 |
[16:15] | Come on in. I don’t suppose you’re here to discuss physics, are you? | 快进来 你应该不是来讨论物理的吧 |
[16:19] | As a matter of fact, I am. | 其实我是 |
[16:20] | Excellent. | 太好了 |
[16:21] | I’m here to drop your class. | 我是来退课的 |
[16:22] | I just need you to sign this. | 我需要你在这签名 |
[16:26] | Have a seat. | 坐下 |
[16:27] | Sheldon, I don’t know if you’ve thought this through, | 谢尔顿 我不知道你有没有考虑清楚 |
[16:30] | but you’re here on a physics scholarship, | 但你在这念书靠的是物理奖学金 |
[16:32] | and swicthing to philosophy may not be well-received. | 转去哲学专业 校方未必能接受 |
[16:35] | Ordinarily, I’d be concerned, but I’m currently embracing hedonism. | 通常我会担心 但我目前正信奉享乐主义 |
[16:38] | Sheldon, I’ve been made responsible for you | 谢尔顿 我答应过会对你负责 |
[16:41] | and so far, it’s not going very well. | 到目前为止都不太顺利 |
[16:42] | You were admitted to this university for your scientific acumen. | 你被这所大学录取是因为你有科学天赋 |
[16:45] | And chaning majors could have serious repercussions. | 改专业可能会带来严重影响 |
[16:49] | Son, please try to understand. | 孩子 请你试着理解一下 |
[16:51] | If you abandon physics for philosophy, | 如果你放弃物理学 转投哲学 |
[16:53] | you’re gonna be missing out on the opportunity | 你会错失做出 |
[16:55] | to be part of something great. Possibly… | 伟大贡献的机会 很有可能… |
[16:58] | As Dr. Linkletter prattled on, | 林克莱特博士絮叨的时候 |
[17:00] | I couldn’t help but notice the beauty of that ephemeral bubble. | 我不禁注意到那个转瞬即逝的泡泡有多美 |
[17:04] | I wondered if perhaps we’re all just bubbles, | 不知道我们是否都只是泡泡 |
[17:07] | being buffeted through life on a stream of currents | 被超出我们理解的连串气流 |
[17:10] | beyond our understanding. | 推波助澜走过一生 |
[17:12] | Look at it. | 看啊 |
[17:13] | The local minimization achieves a global maximization, | 从微小之处造就宏图大略 |
[17:15] | and it’s nearly perfect. | 近乎完美 |
[17:18] | I wondered if this was the key | 这是否就是宇宙中 |
[17:19] | to the smoothness of matter in the universe. | 物质平衡稳定的关键 |
[17:22] | The cosmic web of stars and galaxies could hold it together | 宇宙的群星和星系网能将一切联系在一起 |
[17:25] | like the web of polymers in soap! | 就像肥皂里的聚合物网 |
[17:28] | This could be a whole new area of research. | 这也许是个全新的研究领域 |
[17:31] | Changing majors would be a huge mistake, | 改专业会是个天大的错误 |
[17:34] | but if this is what you really want, | 但如果这是你想要的 |
[17:36] | here you go. | 如你所愿 |
[17:40] | – Sheldon? – What? | -谢尔顿 -怎么了 |
[17:42] | Here you go. | 给你 |
[17:43] | Good luck with philosophy. | 祝你研究哲学好运 |
[17:45] | Oh, I’m back on science now. I have work to do. | 我又回归科学了 我要去做研究了 |