时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:01] | Engineering has a rich and storied history, | 工程学有着悠久又丰富的历史 |
[00:05] | dating back to ancient times. | 起源可追朔自上古时期 |
[00:07] | Some consider it the single most important field of study… | 有人觉得它是世上最重要的学科… |
[00:11] | Okay, w-wha… no. Stop. | 好了… 真… 停下吧 |
[00:12] | I’m sorry. Howard, I can’t do this. | 抱歉 霍华德 我讲不下去了 |
[00:14] | You asked me to write you an introduction to engineering. | 是你自己请我帮你写一段工程学的介绍 |
[00:16] | Yes, and if I wanted a comedy routine, | 如果我是想请人写搞笑风的 |
[00:18] | I’d have gone to Billy Crystal. | 我就去请喜剧片导演写了 |
[00:19] | Just let me read it. | 让我来念吧 |
[00:23] | Engineering has a rich and storied history | 工程学有着悠久又丰富的历史 |
[00:25] | dating back to ancient times. | 起源可追朔自上古时期 |
[00:28] | Some consider it the single most important field of study | 有人觉得它是人类在这世上 |
[00:30] | known to man, | 最重要的学科… |
[00:31] | from the wheel to the International Space Station, | 影响从轮胎到国际太空站 |
[00:35] | which I went to. | 对了 本人曾去过 |
[00:36] | Honestly, this again? | 不是吧 又要提吗 |
[00:38] | Like we don’t hear about your Nobel Prize all the time. | 你说得像你没整天把得诺贝尔奖挂嘴边 |
[00:41] | It’s not my fault people ask about it. | 我又没办法控制别人不问我 |
[00:43] | Because you’re always wearing it! | 因为你总是把奖章挂在胸口 |
[00:45] | You have it on right now. | 你现在就挂着 |
[00:47] | Look how shiny it is. | 你看它有多闪 |
[00:49] | Just tell your story. | 赶紧开始讲你的故事吧 |
[00:51] | My own history with engineering | 我个人与工程学的接触历史 |
[00:53] | began spring semester of my freshman year. | 源自大一那年的春天 |
[00:56] | Good morning. | 大家早安 |
[00:58] | I’m Professor Boucher, | 我是布歇教授 |
[00:59] | and this is Civil Engineering Lab. | 这堂课是土木工程学 |
[01:02] | Class begins at 0900, which is… | 课程准时在0900开课 也就是… |
[01:07] | …now. | 此刻 |
[01:10] | In this course, we’re going to apply the principles | 在这堂课中 我们将会应用 |
[01:13] | of static mechanical forces… | 机械力的各种原理… |
[01:15] | I’m in this class. | 我也是这门课的学生 |
[01:17] | This class started at 0900, | 这门课在0900开课 |
[01:19] | so… no, you’re not. | 所以… 你不在这门课了 |
[01:25] | As I was saying, | 我刚才说到… |
[01:26] | Uh, yes? | 你问 |
[01:28] | I appreciate your use of the 24-four hour time format. | 我很欣赏您使用24小时制 |
[01:31] | Were you aware that while often referred to as “Military time,” | 那您知道这种我们俗称为”军用时间”的制度 |
[01:33] | it actually dates back to the Egyptians? | 最早可追溯回到古埃及人吗 |
[01:35] | I’m aware that the class is now starting at 0901. | 我只知道现在课得在0901开始了 |
[01:39] | Is it all right with you if I begin? | 你同意我现在开始讲课吗 |
[01:41] | Please. | 请 |
[01:43] | One minute in and I was already his favorite. | 开课第一分钟我就是他最爱的学生了 |
[01:47] | ♪ Nobody else is stronger than I am ♪ | ♪ 世上没人比我强壮 ♪ |
[01:50] | ♪ Yesterday I moved a mountain ♪ | ♪ 昨天我移了一座山 ♪ |
[01:53] | ♪ I bet I could be your hero ♪ | ♪ 我相信我能当你的英雄 ♪ |
[01:56] | ♪ I am a mighty little man ♪ | ♪ 我是个了不起的小家伙 ♪ |
[01:58] | ♪ I am a mighty little man ♪ | ♪ 我是个了不起的小家伙 ♪ |
[02:05] | This course is about practical applications. | 这门课在乎的是现实应用 |
[02:08] | This isn’t about fancy theories or what works in a classroom. | 而非花哨的理论或是课堂里纸上谈兵 |
[02:11] | If a tunnel collapses, the only math that’s gonna matter | 当隧道崩塌时 唯一有用的数学 |
[02:15] | is the body count. | 就只有伤亡人数了 |
[02:18] | – You. – Sheldon Cooper. | -你说 -我叫谢尔顿·库珀 |
[02:20] | Son, I’ll learn your name if you make it to midterms. | 孩子 等你撑到期中我再记你名字 |
[02:23] | Right now, you’re just a number to me. | 你现在在我眼里就只有编号 |
[02:24] | Ooh, can I be number one? | 那我可以当1号吗 |
[02:26] | That’s what Captain Picard calls Commander Riker | 皮卡尔舰长在《星际旅行:下一代》中 |
[02:28] | on Star Trek: Next Generation. | 都这么叫赖克中校 |
[02:30] | You need to listen more and talk less. | 你该做的是多听少说 |
[02:33] | Is that clear, number one? | 听懂了吗 1号 |
[02:37] | Aye, Captain. | 遵命 舰长 |
[02:44] | Ballard’s. | 巴拉德运动用品 |
[02:45] | Hello. | 你好 |
[02:46] | – Hey, what’s up? – Oh, nothing. | -是你啊 怎么啦 -没什么 |
[02:48] | I just called to say hello. | 我就是打来跟你问声好 |
[02:51] | Gee, I don’t think I’ve done that in my entire life. | 天啊 我这辈子好像还没干过这档事 |
[02:53] | You want me to hang up? | 那你是要我赶紧挂电话吗 |
[02:55] | No. Uh-uh. | 不 不用 |
[02:57] | W… But what happens next? | 不… 不过接下来是要… |
[03:00] | Oh, wait, hang on. | 等等 你稍等 |
[03:01] | I got another call. | 有别人打进来 |
[03:02] | All right, fine, yeah, sure, I can w… | 行 当然没问题 我可以等… |
[03:04] | Hello? | 您好 |
[03:05] | Hey, Connie. June. | 康妮 是我啦 琼 |
[03:07] | Hi, June. What’s going on? | 你好啊 琼 怎么啦 |
[03:08] | I know you have a hair appointment this afternoon, | 我知道你今天下午跟我约了弄头发 |
[03:10] | but I’m gonna have to cancel. | 但我得跟你取消了 |
[03:12] | Everything okay? | 你有什么事吗 |
[03:13] | No, I busted my knee up pretty good. | 没什么啦 就是摔坏了膝盖 |
[03:16] | Oh. Does Dale know? | 戴尔知道这件事吗 |
[03:18] | I-I’m on the other line with him. | 我正好跟他在另一线讲电话 |
[03:20] | No, not yet. Yeah, you can tell him. | 还没跟他说 你想说可以说 |
[03:22] | Okay, hang on. | 好 你等我 |
[03:24] | Hello? | 喂 |
[03:25] | I’m so sorry, who’s this? | 抱歉 您哪位啊 |
[03:27] | It’s been so long. | 我等太久都忘了 |
[03:28] | I’m on the phone with June. | 另一线的人是琼 |
[03:30] | She hurt her knee. | 她膝盖受伤了 |
[03:31] | How? | 怎么伤的 |
[03:33] | Well, hold on. | 你等我问问 |
[03:35] | How’d you hurt it? | 你是怎么弄伤的 |
[03:36] | Oh, it’s so embarrassing. | 说起来太丢人 |
[03:38] | I slipped on a glob of hair gel at the salon. | 我在美发店踩到一坨发胶滑倒 |
[03:41] | Wait a minute. | 你等我一下 |
[03:42] | She slipped on a glob of hair gel at the salon. | 她在美发店踩到一坨发胶滑倒 |
[03:46] | Oh, nice. | 爽啊 |
[03:48] | Well, that was worth the wait. | 刚才的等待都值得了 |
[03:52] | And then, at exactly 9:00, | 在0900的时候呢 |
[03:54] | he locked the doors and wouldn’t let any latecomers in. | 他把门锁上 不让迟到的学生进来 |
[03:56] | That seems a little harsh. | 这有点太严苛了吧 |
[03:58] | He’s so intolerant. It’s fantastic. | 他不宽待的态度真是太棒了 |
[04:00] | He also wears a bow tie, and instead of using my name, | 他也别着领结 而且不叫我名字 |
[04:02] | he gave me a number. | 而是给了我编号 |
[04:04] | I don’t think I like that, either. | 我好像也不喜欢这个 |
[04:05] | No, it’s great. It’s like we’re robots. | 不 这很棒 我们就像机器人一样 |
[04:07] | And guess what my number is. | 猜猜我的编号是几号 |
[04:09] | Number two? | 2号[拉屎]吗 |
[04:10] | No, number one, | 不 是1号 |
[04:11] | like Riker on Star Trek. | 就像《星际旅行》里的赖克 |
[04:13] | But number two is also good. Like the pencil. | 不过2号也不错啦 像2B铅笔 |
[04:16] | Well, I’m glad you enjoyed your class. | 好吧 你上课开心我也开心 |
[04:18] | For our first assignment, we get to build a bridge. | 我们第一个作业 就是要建一座桥 |
[04:20] | Professor Boucher was part of the Army Corps of Engineers, | 布歇教授曾经是陆军工程兵团的人 |
[04:23] | and he built bridges all over the world. | 在世界各地都有建过桥 |
[04:25] | You know, I was also in the Army. | 你知道我也曾经参过军吗 |
[04:27] | Ooh, perhaps you trudged across one of his bridges. | 或许你曾经跋涉过他建的其中一座桥 |
[04:29] | How neat would that be? | 是不是想想就很酷 |
[04:30] | I bet Dad did cool Army stuff, too. | 爸爸肯定也做过很酷的军人事务吧 |
[04:33] | Nope. “Trudging” sums it up. | 没有 “跋涉”二字足以蔽之 |
[04:35] | See, number one is also pretty funny, | 其实1号也蛮好笑的 |
[04:37] | ’cause it means taking a leak. | 因为意思是小便 |
[04:42] | Come in. | 请进 |
[04:43] | If you’re a robber, I got a shotgun. | 如果你来抢劫 我有霰弹枪 |
[04:46] | It’s Connie and Dale. Don’t shoot. | 是康妮与戴尔 别开枪 |
[04:49] | Hey. Y’all didn’t have to come by. | 你们不用这么麻烦来看我啦 |
[04:51] | We just wanted to see how you’re doing. | 我们就是想来看看你情况如何 |
[04:53] | Yeah. Brought your favorite ice cream. | 还给你买了你最爱的冰激凌口味 |
[04:56] | Butter pecan? | 奶油山核桃吗 |
[04:58] | What’s your second-favorite? | 你第二喜欢的口味呢 |
[05:01] | I’ll put this away. | 我先拿去冰箱放 |
[05:03] | So, how’s it going? | 你怎么样了 |
[05:04] | Do you have anybody to help you out? | 有人帮忙照顾你吗 |
[05:06] | Oh, yeah. These little guys. | 有啊 这些个好帮手 |
[05:09] | Elvis was onto something. | 埃尔维斯当年很有眼光啊 |
[05:11] | Till he keeled over on the toilet. | 直到他后来死在马桶上 |
[05:11] | 猫王当年曾滥用鸦片类麻药 最终在马桶上心脏病发而死 | |
[05:13] | He was the king. | 他可是猫王 |
[05:15] | That was his throne. | 那是他的王座 |
[05:17] | Seriously, now, though, if you need anything at all, | 好啦 不开玩笑了 如果你有任何需要 |
[05:20] | we are here for you. | 我们会来帮你 |
[05:22] | That’s right. 100%. | 没错 100% |
[05:25] | Would you stop? | 你别闹了 |
[05:27] | I was being sincere. | 人家是想表达心意 |
[05:28] | Well, that’s for the next dumb thing you say. | 那刚才那一下跟你下次说蠢话抵消 |
[05:31] | Well, just quit hitting me, would you? | 你能不能就别打我了 |
[05:32] | Well, quit being stupid. | 那你能不能别说蠢话 |
[05:36] | For your design assignment, you may decide | 你们的设计作业 你们可以选 |
[05:38] | between suspension bridges, truss bridges, beam bridges, | 设计悬索桥 桁架桥 梁式桥 |
[05:41] | just not Beau Bridges. | 只要不是”大乔与小乔”就行 |
[05:45] | And people say engineers don’t have a sense of humor. | 谁说工程师没有幽默感了 |
[05:50] | Yes? | 你说 |
[05:50] | What are Beau Bridges? | 什么是大乔与小乔 |
[05:53] | That’s all for today. | 今天课就到这里结束 |
[05:55] | Your initial designs are due next week. | 你们的首稿期限是下周 |
[06:00] | I finished my design assignment early. | 我提早完成了我的设计作业 |
[06:03] | I admire that initiative. | 我欣赏你的积极性 |
[06:05] | Thank you, I stayed up late to finish it. | 谢谢 我特别熬夜完成的 |
[06:07] | My normal bedtime is 2100 hours, | 我平常都是在2100点睡觉 |
[06:10] | but I was so excited to do it that I took a power nap | 但我很期待做这个作业 在回家的路上 |
[06:12] | in my Meemaw’s back seat on the drive home. | 我在我姥姥的车后座先小睡恢复精神 |
[06:14] | Uh, you’ll need to do this again. It’s wrong. | 你得重做 这是错的 |
[06:18] | No, it’s not. | 不 没错 |
[06:21] | Son, I’m giving you another chance before it’s due. | 孩子 我这是在截止前再给你次机会 |
[06:25] | Well, what’s wrong with it? | 那它哪错了 |
[06:27] | That’s your job to figure out. | 弄清楚错在哪是你的任务 |
[06:29] | I would argue that it’s your job to teach me. | 我会用你的工作是教导我来反驳 |
[06:36] | Let’s see. | 我看看 |
[06:38] | To start, this bridge is in pieces. | 首先 这座桥是断的 |
[06:41] | What do you mean? | 什么意思 |
[06:49] | Well, two can play at this game. | 撕纸谁不会啊 |
[07:00] | Well, now they can’t. | 现在没得玩了 |
[07:05] | And then he ripped up my paper right in front of me. | 然后他当着我的面把我的论文撕了 |
[07:08] | What is this man’s problem? | 他有什么毛病啊 |
[07:09] | I don’t know. He didn’t even use a ruler. | 我不知道 他甚至都没用尺子 |
[07:12] | He just ripped it up, willy-nilly. | 就那么撕得参差不齐 |
[07:13] | Do you want me to call the school? | 你想我给学校打电话吗 |
[07:15] | No, he was in the Army. | 不了 他参过军 |
[07:16] | I want him to think I’m tough. | 我想让他觉得我是个硬汉 |
[07:18] | Sure. | 可不吗 |
[07:19] | Well, I’m sorry you had a bad day. | 你今天过得不好 我很遗憾 |
[07:23] | How about a little trip to RadioShack? | 我们去睿侠电器行逛逛怎么样 |
[07:26] | RadioShack’s not gonna make this better. | 去睿侠电器行也不会改善什么 |
[07:29] | It’s also not gonna make it worse, so okay. | 也不会让情况变得更糟 所以去吧 |
[07:31] | You got it. | 没问题 |
[07:33] | Maybe he was just intimidated by my intelligence. | 也许他是对我的聪明才智感到威胁 |
[07:35] | Or maybe he’s an insecure bully | 也许他只是一个没安全感的恶霸 |
[07:37] | taking out his frustrations on a little boy. | 把情绪发泄在一个小男孩身上 |
[07:40] | I like my version better where I’m intimidating | 我喜欢我的说法 这样我有威慑力 |
[07:42] | and not a helpless child. | 而不是无助的小孩 |
[07:44] | Okay, he’s taking out his frustrations on a powerful | 好吧 他把他的情绪发泄在一个强大 |
[07:48] | and intimidating young man. | 有震慑力的年轻人身上 |
[07:51] | That works. | 这么说可以 |
[07:52] | Romeo, | 罗密欧 |
[07:53] | wherefore art thou, Romeo? | 为何偏偏是你 罗密欧 |
[07:56] | Hey, baby. | 宝贝 |
[08:10] | Ballard’s. | 巴拉德运动用品 |
[08:11] | It’s me. Any chance you could swing by? | 是我 你能来一趟吗 |
[08:14] | What do you need? | 你怎么了 |
[08:15] | Well, the recliner won’t go down, | 躺椅放不下来了 |
[08:16] | and I’m stuck in this chair like a damn fool. | 我像个傻子一样被卡在椅子里了 |
[08:19] | Well, that is a situation. | 确实情况不妙 |
[08:21] | How long you been stuck? | 你被卡住多久了 |
[08:23] | Are you gonna help me out or not? | 你到底要不要帮忙 |
[08:24] | Oh, just give me a moment to enjoy it. | 总得让我笑一会吧 |
[08:27] | Get your ass over here and you can laugh at me in person. | 你可以滚过来当面嘲笑我 |
[08:30] | Eh, I’m on my way. | 我这就来 |
[08:32] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[08:32] | Got to grab my camera. | 得带上我的相机 |
[08:37] | You know it’s bleak when even a trip to RadioShack | 当去睿侠电器行都不能让我开心时 |
[08:39] | couldn’t lift my spirits. | 我就真的是心如死灰了 |
[08:41] | Professor Proton will be right back after these messages. | 广告过后继续播出《质子教授》 |
[09:02] | Of course. | 对啊 |
[09:03] | I realized Professor Boucher | 我意识到布歇教授 |
[09:05] | was pushing me to be the best me I could be. | 是在鞭策我 让我成为最好的自己 |
[09:08] | You’d think the person who could teach me | 原以为只有我能教自己 |
[09:10] | to be the best me I could be was me, | 成为最好的自己 |
[09:12] | but it was Professor Boucher, after the Army taught him | 但这个人其实是在军队里学会 |
[09:16] | to be the best he that he could be. | 做最好的自己的布歇教授 |
[09:18] | Now it was up to me | 现在能不能让我们 |
[09:19] | to help us be the best “We” we could be. | 成为最好的”我们” 就看我了 |
[09:23] | I think you’re going to like this one, sir. | 我觉得这回你该满意了 |
[09:33] | Do it again. | 重做 |
[09:34] | Yes, sir, sir. | 是 长官 |
[09:37] | Here you go. | 给你 |
[09:45] | Again. | 重做 |
[09:47] | Yes, sir, sir. | 是 长官 |
[10:01] | Oh, at least use a straight-edge. | 至少用尺子撕吧 |
[10:17] | You wanted to see me, ma’am? | 你找我吗 女士 |
[10:19] | Hello, Professor Boucher. Please, come in, have a seat. | 你好 布歇教授 请进 坐吧 |
[10:22] | I’d prefer to stand. | 我站着就好 |
[10:23] | Oh. All right, uh, then, I will also stand. | 好吧 那我也站着 |
[10:30] | You know what, um, these are really not standing shoes, | 这双鞋不适合站着 |
[10:32] | so I’m just gonna sit. | 所以我还是坐着吧 |
[10:34] | I was hoping that we could have a little chat about Sheldon Cooper. | 我希望能和你谈一谈谢尔顿·库珀的事 |
[10:41] | I’ll start. | 我先说吧 |
[10:43] | Sheldon is a very important asset to this university. | 谢尔顿对这所大学来说是很宝贵的人才 |
[10:47] | And we like to keep that little fella happy. | 我们想让那个小家伙在本校一直开心 |
[10:50] | But it seems that your teaching methods | 但似乎你的教学方法 |
[10:52] | are making him unhappy. | 让他不开心了 |
[10:55] | You understand? | 你懂我意思了吗 |
[10:56] | Yes, ma’am, I do. | 是的 女士 我懂 |
[10:58] | Great. | 很好 |
[10:58] | You’d like me to turn his frown upside down. | 你是想我将他的哭脸转笑脸 |
[11:03] | You know, when you say it, | 这话从你嘴里说出来 |
[11:04] | it sounds more chilling than fun. | 比起好笑更让人不寒而栗 |
[11:09] | I’m just saying | 我只是说 |
[11:10] | that he’s a sensitive kid, and you are… | 他是个敏感的小孩 而你… |
[11:15] | well, whatever this vibe is. | 你那种不知道怎么描述的气场 |
[11:17] | I understand. | 我明白 |
[11:19] | Excellent, so you’ll take it easy on him? | 很好 所以你会对他宽容点吗 |
[11:22] | No. I’m sorry, ma’am, I can’t do that. | 不 抱歉 女士 我不能 |
[11:25] | You see, uh… | 你知道… |
[11:28] | all these “Ma’ams,” They sound polite, | 你一口一个”女士” 听着礼貌 |
[11:30] | but then I don’t seem to be getting anywhere. | 但我的话你好像左耳进右耳出 |
[11:32] | Well, that’s because you’re not. | 因为确实没用 |
[11:35] | You do realize that I’m your boss? | 你知道我是你的顶头上司吗 |
[11:37] | Yes, ma’am, I do. | 是的 女士 我知道 |
[11:39] | And do you realize that I have tenure? | 那你知道我有终身职位吗 |
[11:42] | Ugh, tenure. | 终身职位 |
[11:45] | What fun is it being president | 要是不能拿工作威胁人 |
[11:46] | if I can’t threaten people’s jobs? | 当校长还有什么意思 |
[11:48] | May I get back to class now? | 现在我能回去上课了吗 |
[11:50] | Oh, fine. And fall off, or whatever it is. | 好吧 切散吧 |
[11:52] | It’s “dismissed,” Ma’am. | 应该是”解散” 女士 |
[11:54] | Just go. | 快走吧 |
[11:59] | I heard that giggle. | 我听见你笑了 |
[12:02] | Okay. Soup’s on. | 好了 晚饭好了 |
[12:05] | Mmm. Wow, looks good. | 看起来不错啊 |
[12:07] | Oh, geez. | 天啊 |
[12:09] | Are you okay? | 你怎么了 |
[12:10] | Oh, I, uh, I tweaked my back. | 我把背扭伤了 |
[12:12] | Oh. How? | 怎么弄的 |
[12:13] | I was helping June out. | 我去帮琼的忙 |
[12:15] | Well, aren’t you sweet? | 你人真好 |
[12:18] | What’d she have you doing for her? | 她找你帮什么忙 |
[12:21] | Yeah, this and that. | 就是帮点小忙 |
[12:23] | This and that what? | 什么小忙 |
[12:26] | Yeah. This and that and the other thing. | 就是帮点小忙跟一点琐碎的 |
[12:31] | Do you not want to tell me? | 你不想告诉我吗 |
[12:34] | Well, for the sake of honesty and because she might tell you, | 为了诚实起见 也是因为她可能告诉你 |
[12:38] | I was helping her take a shower. | 我帮她洗澡了 |
[12:41] | You took a shower with her? | 你和她洗澡了吗 |
[12:44] | She took the shower, I was just assisting. | 是她洗澡 我只是帮她 |
[12:46] | So she was naked. | 所以她一丝不挂 |
[12:48] | For crying out loud, we were married. | 老天爷啊 我们结过婚 |
[12:50] | I’ve seen her naked a million times. | 我看过她一丝不挂无数次了 |
[12:51] | You think that is helping? | 您觉得你说这话有帮助吗 |
[12:54] | I knew I shouldn’t have been honest. | 我就知道我不该说实话的 |
[12:55] | You shouldn’t have been playing bathroom attendant. | 你是不该扮她的浴室服务员 |
[12:58] | There was nothing sexy about it. | 完全没有任何能起邪念的那种 |
[13:00] | It was like washing a car. | 就像洗车一样 |
[13:03] | A rusty old car. | 一辆生锈的旧汽车 |
[13:04] | Did you scrub her windshield? | 那你擦她的挡风玻璃了吗 |
[13:07] | What does that even mean? | 什么意思 |
[13:08] | Her boobs, genius. | 就是她的胸部 天才 |
[13:12] | I was helping her in the shower | 我只是协助她洗澡 |
[13:14] | so she didn’t fall down. | 以免她在浴室里滑倒 |
[13:17] | Well, fine. | 好吧 |
[13:19] | And boobs are headlights. | 而且众所周知 |
[13:20] | Everybody knows that. | 胸部应该是车头灯 |
[13:33] | What are you doing? | 你在干嘛 |
[13:34] | Watching Sheldon struggle with homework. | 看谢尔顿写作业碰到困难 |
[13:36] | It’s so great. | 太精彩了 |
[13:40] | Come on, think. | 拜托 思考 |
[13:42] | – What’s going on? – I can’t figure out this engineering project. | -怎么了 -我想不明白这个工程学作业 |
[13:46] | And every time I turn it in, my professor just rips it up. | 每次我上交 教授都会把它撕掉 |
[13:49] | Well, ain’t this the fella you liked? | 你之前不是喜欢这个人吗 |
[13:50] | I did, when I thought he was pushing me to be all I could be, | 是啊 我本以为他想鞭策我成为最好 |
[13:53] | but it turns out all he can be is mean. | 但原来他只是纯恶毒 |
[13:56] | I’m sure you’ll figure it out. | 我相信你会想出来的 |
[13:58] | Could you talk to him? | 你能跟他谈谈吗 |
[14:00] | You’re in college now. | 你已经是大学生了 |
[14:01] | Don’t you think you should fight your own battles? | 你不觉得你该独自面对吗 |
[14:03] | Does telling on him to the president of the university count? | 那在校长面前打他小报告算吗 |
[14:06] | Did it work? | 奏效了吗 |
[14:07] | – No. – Then no. | -没有 -那就不算 |
[14:09] | Will you please talk to him? | 拜托你跟他谈谈行吗 |
[14:11] | Ooh, what if your mom does it? | 不如让你妈去找他好不好 |
[14:13] | But you were both in the Army. | 但你们都当过兵 |
[14:14] | And you’re both crabby and impatient. | 又一样易怒没耐心 |
[14:15] | There’s a lot of common ground. | 你们共同点非常多 |
[14:18] | You really got under this guy’s skin, huh? | 你真的气到他了 对吧 |
[14:20] | It would seem so. | 看样子是的 |
[14:22] | Lot of common ground. | 我跟他确实有很多共同点 |
[14:30] | Hello. | 你好 |
[14:30] | Hey, June. | 琼 |
[14:31] | Connie. Just wanted to see if you need anything. | 我是康妮 就想问问你是否需要什么 |
[14:34] | Nah, I’m good, but thank you, though. | 不需要啦 不过谢谢你的关心 |
[14:36] | You sure? | 你确定 |
[14:37] | Groceries? Dishes? | 买生活用品啊 做饭洗碗啊 |
[14:40] | Help in the shower? | 帮你洗澡呢 |
[14:44] | Damn it, Dale. | 靠 戴尔个大嘴巴 |
[14:45] | I’m sorry, | 抱歉 |
[14:46] | I’m just not comfortable with it. | 我心里就是觉得不舒服 |
[14:47] | You think I am? | 你以为我喜欢 |
[14:49] | Last time he saw me naked, gravity was on my side. | 他上一次看到我胴体时 我还没受地心引力摧残 |
[14:52] | Then why’d you ask him to do it? | 那你为毛还叫他帮你洗 |
[14:55] | Who else am I gonna ask, Connie? | 不然我还能叫谁 康妮 |
[14:56] | You got tons of friends. | 你朋友多的是 |
[14:58] | I’ve got acquaintances, I’ve got clients. | 我是有熟人 有客人 |
[15:01] | Those aren’t exactly people | 但你可不希望 |
[15:03] | you want looking at your hernia scar. | 被这些人看到自己的疝气疤痕 |
[15:05] | And Dale is? | 戴尔就可以吗 |
[15:06] | I got that hernia by dragging him onto the bed | 我得疝气就是因为有一晚他喝醉回家就倒地昏睡 |
[15:09] | one night he came in passed-out drunk. | 我把他拖上床引发的 |
[15:12] | Look, I’m sorry if I crossed the line, | 听着 如果我过界了 我向你道歉 |
[15:14] | but you have nothing to worry about. | 但你没什么可担心的 |
[15:19] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[15:20] | Look, I promise, next time, | 听着 我保证 下次洗澡 |
[15:23] | I’ll get the kid who mows my lawn | 我会叫帮我除草的那小子过来 |
[15:24] | to come over and hose me off in the backyard. | 在后院直接用水管冲我 |
[15:27] | Call me. | 打给我吧 |
[15:28] | I’d be happy to hose you off in the backyard. | 我很乐意在后院用水管冲你 |
[15:34] | I got to admit, I’m a little jealous. | 我承认 我有点妒忌 |
[15:36] | Of what? | 妒忌什么 |
[15:37] | You. | 你 |
[15:38] | Why? | 为什么 |
[15:40] | You have the Dale I never got. | 在你身边的戴尔是我没能拥有的 |
[15:43] | I spent a lot of time polishing that turd, | 我花了很长时间打磨他这块顽石 |
[15:45] | and you get all the benefits. | 结果好处都被你占了 |
[15:47] | Hey, I put my time in on that, too. | 我也花了时间和心血调教他的好吗 |
[15:49] | Not as much as me. | 没我投入的多 |
[15:50] | When I met him, he was a mess. | 我刚认识他那会 他简直惨不忍睹 |
[15:52] | You should’ve seen where I started. | 你该看看我初识的他是什么鬼样子 |
[15:56] | Well, I think we can both agree, | 我们应该都赞同 |
[15:59] | he is one lucky turd. | 他就是坨走狗屎运的臭狗屎 |
[16:01] | Amen, sister. | 太对了 姐们 |
[16:03] | So, let me guess. | 我猜猜 |
[16:05] | You think I’m being too hard on him | 你认为我对他太严厉了 |
[16:07] | and you want me to lighten up? | 你希望我放松些 |
[16:09] | He is having a tough time. | 他最近很难熬 |
[16:10] | It’s a tough class. | 这堂课本来就很难 |
[16:12] | Look, I get it. | 听着 我懂 |
[16:13] | I was in the Army, too, | 我也当过兵 |
[16:14] | I-I’m all for being strict, but… | 我完全赞成对孩子严格要求 但是 |
[16:16] | he doesn’t even know where he’s going wrong. | 他连自己问题出在哪里都不知道 |
[16:19] | You know, maybe you could just | 也许你可以 |
[16:20] | point him in the right direction? | 给他指明正确的方向 |
[16:22] | You mean, give him the answer? | 你是指直接告诉他答案 |
[16:24] | No, no. | 不是啦 |
[16:26] | Would you? | 你愿意这么做吗 |
[16:27] | What do you think? | 你说呢 |
[16:29] | – No. – See? | -不愿意 -看见没 |
[16:30] | I didn’t give you the answer and you figured it out. | 我没告诉你答案 你靠自己想明白了 |
[16:35] | Look… | 你听我说 |
[16:37] | …your son is obviously brilliant, | 你儿子显然聪明绝顶 |
[16:40] | but coddling him won’t prepare him for the real world. | 但一昧娇惯他 他日后就无法适应真实世界 |
[16:42] | I’ve been saying that since the day he was born. | 从他出生那天起我就一直这么说 |
[16:45] | Sometimes you have to break them down to build them back up. | 有时想要重塑一个人 就得先把他彻底击垮 |
[16:47] | I do that with my football players. | 我对付我的橄榄球员就是用这招 |
[16:49] | At least, I try to, but then the parents | 至少理想很丰满 但骨感现实就是 |
[16:51] | get all bent out of shape, they come into my office. | 家长全都大发雷霆 冲来我办公室 |
[16:54] | You don’t say. | 不会吧[别说了] |
[16:55] | Yeah, you would not believe… | 真的 说出来你都不信… |
[16:57] | Oh. Y-You mean me. Got it. | 哦你是叫我闭嘴 知道了 |
[17:01] | You figured it out again. | 你又自己想明白了答案 |
[17:04] | Hey, I’m two for two. | 两发两中呢 |
[17:09] | Did you talk to my teacher? | 你找我老师谈过了吗 |
[17:11] | I did. | 找了 |
[17:12] | So, is he gonna tell me what I’m doing wrong? | 他会告诉我 我哪里做错了吗 |
[17:14] | I’m going to. | 我来告诉你 |
[17:16] | You’re sitting here waiting to be handed the answer | 你坐在家里 等别人把答案交到你手上 |
[17:18] | and that’s not how life is. | 但人生不是这样的 |
[17:20] | You got to work for it. | 你必须付出努力 |
[17:21] | I don’t want to hear a football pep talk. | 我不想听橄榄球打气话 |
[17:23] | This isn’t football. This is real. | 这不是橄榄球 而是真实人生 |
[17:26] | Your professor’s right. | 你的教授说得对 |
[17:28] | Now, instead of pouting, | 别噘嘴了 |
[17:29] | take charge of your own life. | 你该对自己的人生奋斗 |
[17:35] | My dad was right. | 我爸说得没错 |
[17:36] | I had to take charge. | 我必须继续奋斗 |
[17:39] | And after 20 more minutes of pouting, | 继续噘嘴20分钟后 |
[17:40] | that’s exactly what I did. | 我就是这么做的 |
[17:43] | But despite my best efforts, | 但尽管我已经尽力了 |
[17:44] | I was still no closer to figuring it out. | 我解题仍然毫无进展 |
[17:48] | I was going to have to see my work | 我要再一次看着我的研究 |
[17:49] | be torn to pieces one more time. | 被撕成碎片 |
[17:56] | Of course. | 当然了 |
[17:57] | I’d been so focused on mathematical perfection | 我之前一心只想着完善数学因素 |
[18:00] | that I hadn’t taken into account real-world elements. | 完全没考虑过现实世界的要素 |
[18:03] | Wind can trigger vibrations. | 风能引发振动 |
[18:05] | If these vibrations occur at a system’s resonant frequency, | 如果这些振动发生在一个系统的共振频率 |
[18:08] | then oscillation generates excitation | 那振荡会形成刺激 |
[18:10] | and a bridge can lose its structural integrity. | 桥便有可能失去结构完整性 |
[18:13] | Okay, I’m a genius again. | 我又是天才少年啦 |
[18:16] | I couldn’t wait to hand in my paper | 我等不及递交论文 |
[18:18] | and see the proud look on Professor Boucher’s… | 看布歇教授脸上露出骄傲的表情… |
[18:22] | No! | 不 |
[18:23] | I figured it out! | 我想明白了 |
[18:25] | It’s wind! It’s wind! | 是风 是风 |
[18:29] | I hate engineering. | 我痛恨工程学 |
[18:32] | Wait, so after all this time, | 等等 所以这些年来 |
[18:35] | that’s your problem with engineering? | 你不爽工程学原来是因为这个吗 |
[18:37] | Evidently. | 显而易见 |
[18:38] | So all the teasing | 所以你总是嘲笑 |
[18:38] | and all the abuse had nothing to do with me? | 和辱骂 原来都与我无关吗 |
[18:41] | I’ll admit, at first, I had a chip on my shoulder | 我承认 一开始 我是因为不爽那门课 |
[18:44] | because of that class, but then it was mostly you. | 但之后主要是因为瞧不起你 |
[18:47] | Unbelievable. When will I learn? | 服了 我几时才能学会不自取其辱 |
[18:49] | I could give you that answer, | 我可以告诉你答案 |
[18:50] | but if you figure it out for yourself, | 但如果你自己想出来 |
[18:52] | it’ll mean so much more. | 会更有意义 |
[18:53] | – Goodbye, Sheldon. – Bye. | -再见再也不见 谢尔顿 -拜 |
[18:59] | You wanted to see me, ma’am? | 您想见我是吗 |
[19:01] | Professor. | 教授 |
[19:02] | I understand you locked Sheldon out of class. | 我听说你把谢尔顿关在了教室门外 |
[19:05] | Well, he was late. That’s my policy. | 他迟到了 那是我的规矩 |
[19:07] | I need you to do me a favor. | 我要你帮我个忙 |
[19:11] | Yes? | 您说 |
[19:12] | Tell me exactly what his face looked like | 给我详细描述事发时 |
[19:14] | when it happened. | 他脸上的吃瘪表情 |
[19:15] | Wh… Seriously? | 你认真的 |
[19:17] | Oh… Paint me a picture. | 像画画一样不漏一丝细节 |
[19:19] | I want to feel like I was the one who closed that door. | 我想感同身受一下甩他门有多爽 |
[19:22] | Oh, I’m gonna sit for this. | 那我要坐下慢慢说 |
[19:24] | Okay, so he approached the door with that smug look he has. | 他走到教室门前 一副嚣张样 |
[19:28] | – Ugh. I know it well. – Then, when he realized it was locked, | -我可太熟悉了 -接着当他发现门锁了时 |
[19:32] | his face fell into shock and disbelief. | 他的表情转为震惊和难以置信 |
[19:37] | Nice. | 妙啊 |
[19:38] | Uh, show me. Do the face. | 演给我看 学他的表情 |
[19:48] | Oh, sir, | 先生 |
[19:49] | you have turned my frown upside down. | 你真是让我哭脸转笑脸啊 |
[19:52] | You are welcome, ma’am. | 不客气 校长 |