时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:06] | Dark’s nothing to be afraid of. | 无需害怕黑暗 |
[00:08] | In fact, I’d go as far as saying there’s nothing to be afraid of. | 实际上 我想说无需害怕任何事 |
[00:12] | Anywhere. | 任何地方 |
[00:14] | The strongest person is the person who isn’t scared to be alone. | 最坚强的人 应该不畏惧孤独 |
[00:20] | It’s other people you got to worry about. | 该担心的是其他人 |
[00:24] | Other people. They’ll tell you what to do, how to feel… | 其他人 他们会告诉你怎么做 怎么想 |
[00:29] | Before you know it… | 不知不觉 |
[00:31] | …you’re pouring your life out in search of something | 你就把生命倾注在追寻 |
[00:34] | other people told you to go look for. | 其他人告诉你该寻找的东西了 |
[00:37] | Someday, you’re gonna be all alone, | 总有一天 你会孤身一人 |
[00:40] | so you need to figure out how to take care of yourself. | 所以你要懂得如何照顾自己 |
[02:34] | Hello. | 喂 |
[02:36] | Beth Harmon? | 贝丝·哈蒙 |
[02:38] | Yes. | 是我 |
[02:40] | Uh, this is Harry Beltik. | 我是哈利·贝尔蒂克 |
[02:42] | Uh, from the Kentucky State Tournament. | 肯塔基州锦标赛的 |
[02:44] | No, I remember. | 我记得 |
[02:46] | I hear you dropped one to Borgov. | 我听说你输给了博尔戈夫 |
[02:50] | I wanted to give condolences. | 我想向你表示同情 |
[02:52] | Thanks. | 谢谢 |
[02:54] | What were you playing, White? | 你是哪一方 白棋吗 |
[02:57] | – Black. – Oh, it’s-it’s better that way. | -黑棋 -那样还好 |
[03:01] | I mean, if you’re gonna lose. | 如果要输的话 |
[03:03] | Suppose so. | 或许吧 |
[03:05] | What did you play? | 你走了什么开局 |
[03:08] | Closed Sicilian. | 封闭式西西里防御 |
[03:09] | Rossolimo? Really? | 罗索里莫变例 真的吗 |
[03:10] | I let him do it to me. | 我任由他拿这招打败我的 |
[03:12] | That’s a mistake. | 这是个错误 |
[03:13] | Uh, look, I’m in Lexington for the summer, and I thought maybe… | 听着 我这个暑假在莱克星顿 我想着也许 |
[03:18] | Maybe what? | 也许什么 |
[03:20] | Would you like some training? | 你想来点训练吗 |
[03:22] | I-I know… I know you’re better than me. | 我知道 我知道你棋艺比我强 |
[03:25] | But if you’re gonna play the Soviets, you need help. | 但如果你要和苏联人对抗 你需要帮忙 |
[03:29] | Where are you? | 你在哪 |
[03:30] | I’m on my way to the Phoenix Hotel. | 我正要去凤凰酒店 |
[03:33] | I’m moving to an apartment on Thursday. I could come by then. | 我周四会搬进公寓 我可以到时候过来 |
[03:38] | Why don’t you come over right now? | 不如你现在就过来吧 |
[03:40] | 后翼弃兵 第五集 | |
[04:17] | Excuse me, miss. | 不好意思 小姐 |
[04:21] | What happened to that gawky kid who kicked my ass five years ago? | 五年前把我打得落花流水的那个瞪眼小女孩呢 |
[04:28] | Apparently, she grew up. | 看来她长大了 |
[04:33] | A.I. Deinkopf. | AI·登科普夫 |
[04:35] | Middlegame Strategy. | 《中局战术》 |
[04:38] | I’ve read that one. | 我看过了 |
[04:45] | J .R. Capablanca, My Chess Career. | JR·卡帕布兰卡 《我的象棋生涯》 |
[04:48] | That one, too. | 那本也看过了 |
[04:53] | Fornaut, Alekhine’s Games 1938 to 1945. | 福诺特 《1938年至1945年阿列瀚的棋局》 |
[04:57] | Yes. | 看过 |
[05:01] | Meyer, Rook and Pawn Endings. | 梅耶 《车兵残局》 |
[05:03] | I know, you’ve read it. | 我知道 你看过了 |
[05:06] | No. | 没有 |
[05:09] | But I have my own copy upstairs. | 但我有自己的复印本 |
[05:11] | Well, some of these are gonna be new to you. | 里面有些内容对你来说是新的 |
[05:14] | Capablanca played on intuition. | 卡帕布兰卡都靠直觉下棋 |
[05:16] | And his natural gifts, which obviously were considerable. | 而且他非常天赋禀异 |
[05:20] | Unlike Bogoljubov and Grtinfeld, who memorized everything. | 不像博格伊波夫和格廷菲尔德 记住一切 |
[05:22] | Yeah, I know how you feel about them. | 对 我知道你怎么看他们 |
[05:24] | I read your piece in Chess Review. | 我看了《象棋天下》里你的文章 |
[05:27] | Nice cover photo, by the way. | 对了 封面拍得很好看 |
[05:33] | I see players at tournaments after their games have finished, | 我看到锦标赛上有选手下完棋还在研究棋局 |
[05:36] | sitting there studying opening variation | 坐着研究各种开局变例 |
[05:39] | or middle-game strategy, endgame theory. | 或中局战术 残局理论 |
[05:42] | – Like it would have made a difference. – You don’t ever study? | -好像能改变什么似的 -你不研究吗 |
[05:45] | I analyze games. | 我会分析棋局 |
[05:47] | What actually happened, not what could have happened. | 实际发生的 而不是可能发生的 |
[05:51] | – And I play it by ear. – Like Capablanca. | -然后我靠直觉下棋 -就像卡帕布兰卡一样 |
[05:53] | – He would have beaten Borgov. – Mmm, not every game. | -他就能打败博尔戈夫 -也不是每次 |
[05:56] | Mmm, every game that counted. | 每个重要的比赛 |
[06:00] | – You think I’m a prima donna, don’t you? – It’s chess. | -你觉得我自命不凡 对吧 -这是象棋 |
[06:04] | We’re all prima donnas. | 我们都自命不凡 |
[06:07] | So, I’ve replayed your match with Benny Watts a dozen times now. | 我复盘了十几次你和本尼·瓦茨的比赛 |
[06:11] | Why? | 为什么 |
[06:13] | – That’s ancient history. – Well, it’s not that ancient. | -那都是很久以前的事了 -也不算吧 |
[06:17] | – I’m a different player now. – In some ways. | -我现在棋风不同了 -有些方面是的 |
[06:21] | You’re stubborn, so you get mad. | 你很固执 所以你会生气 |
[06:24] | When that happens, you can only see what’s in front of you. | 当你发怒时 你只能看到眼前的东西 |
[06:26] | Anger clears my head. | 愤怒会清空我的脑子 |
[06:28] | Anger is a potent spice. | 愤怒是种强劲的香料 |
[06:31] | A pinch wakes you up, too much dulls your senses. | 一小撮能让人清醒 太多就让人麻木 |
[06:33] | Where’d you get that from, a fortune cookie? | 这话你从哪听来的 幸运饼干吗 |
[06:35] | Mrs. Grecco, my second grade teacher. | 格雷克老师 我二年级时的老师 |
[06:39] | But the point is still valid. You’ve got to stay open. | 但传达的意思不变 你得保持开放心态 |
[06:43] | If you get locked into one idea, | 如果你固步自封 |
[06:44] | like this king knight pawn, say, it’s death. | 就像这个王翼马兵一样 就是死局 |
[06:48] | Look. | 你看 |
[06:54] | – Now, the knight pawn is pinned. – So? | -这个马前兵被堵住了 -所以呢 |
[06:58] | So you got to move the king now, or you get stuck later. | 所以你得移走王 否则之后会被堵住 |
[07:03] | I can see that, but– | 我知道 但是 |
[07:04] | But look at the queen-side pawns, way over here. | 但你看后翼兵 在这边 |
[07:08] | – He could do this. – Try it. | -他可以这么下 -你试试 |
[07:32] | See? | 你瞧 |
[07:35] | It’s a good sequence. | 这走法不错 |
[07:37] | It’s from Alekhine. | 这是阿列瀚的 |
[07:39] | I’m saying I got it from a book. | 我是说这招是从书上学来的 |
[07:41] | I know what you’re saying. | 我知道你什么意思 |
[07:44] | Let’s eat. | 我们吃东西吧 |
[07:50] | You’re not the same person you were five years ago, either. | 你也和五年前不同了 |
[07:54] | – No? – No. | -是吗 -对 |
[07:56] | But I can’t figure out what’s different. | 但我说不出来哪里不同 |
[07:59] | I’ve become more profound? | 我更有深度了 |
[08:01] | That’s not it. | 不是 |
[08:04] | And I, um, got my teeth fixed. | 我还修了牙 |
[08:10] | – Yeah, that’s it. – Yeah. | -对 就是这个 -嗯 |
[08:12] | It’s the teeth. It was driving me crazy. | 是牙齿 之前快把我逼疯了 |
[08:16] | I used my tuition money. | 我用了学费 |
[08:19] | My parents are plenty ticked off about it. | 我爸妈气坏了 |
[08:25] | It was worth it. | 这钱花得值得 |
[08:34] | Uh, I should go. | 我该走了 |
[08:36] | Uh, I’ll leave my board here. | 我把象棋留下 |
[08:39] | I’ll take this. | 三明治我拿走了 |
[08:42] | I’ll be back in the morning with more books. | 明早我再带点书过来 |
[08:50] | Shit. | 妈的 |
[08:52] | Oh, God. | 天呐 |
[09:35] | No. | 不 |
[09:36] | You see, I’m a little shy. | 你瞧 我有点害羞 |
[09:38] | Alright, what seems to be the trouble? | 好吧 你的问题是什么 |
[09:40] | Well, it’s difficult to show you | 现在向你展示症状 |
[09:42] | the symptoms at the moment, because… | 会有些困难 因为 |
[09:45] | it comes and it goes. | 它来去不定 |
[09:49] | Oh, it comes and goes? | 来去不定 |
[09:52] | Yes, it’s so unfortunate. | 对 非常不幸 |
[09:54] | It’s always the same whenever I see a doctor. | 我每次看医生都是这样 |
[09:56] | When… when I come, it goes, | 我来看医生时 病就走了 |
[09:59] | and when I go, it comes. | 我走后 病又回来了 |
[10:07] | Okay, tell me, what was your endgame? | 好吧 你说说 你的残局是什么 |
[10:10] | You just saw it. | 你刚看到了 |
[10:11] | What was your plan? | 你的计划呢 |
[10:13] | To beat you? | 打败你 |
[10:17] | I don’t know what it was. | 我不知道是什么 |
[10:18] | Exactly, you’re still just improvising. | 没错 你还是在临场发挥 |
[10:20] | I just wiped you out five times. | 我刚打败了你五次 |
[10:23] | I’m a master, | 我是个大师 |
[10:25] | and I’ve never played better in my life. | 这是我这辈子下的最好的棋 |
[10:28] | So modest. | 真谦虚 |
[10:29] | But I’m nowhere close to what you’ll face in Paris. | 但我压根比不上你要在巴黎交手的棋手 |
[10:31] | I could beat Borgov with a little more work. | 我稍微下点功夫就能打败博尔戈夫 |
[10:33] | You can beat Borgov with a lot more work. | 你要打败博尔戈夫需要下很多功夫 |
[10:36] | Years more work. | 多年的努力 |
[10:38] | Borgov’s not some Kentucky ex-champion like me. | 博尔戈夫不是像我一样的肯达基州前冠军 |
[10:40] | He is a world champion | 他是个世界冠军 |
[10:42] | who could have beaten both of us when he was ten. | 在他十岁时就能把我们俩都打得落花流水 |
[10:46] | Do you even know his career? | 你了解他的象棋生涯吗 |
[10:49] | No. | 不知道 |
[10:50] | Well… | 这个 |
[10:54] | Read it. | 看看 |
[10:56] | Read the games from Leningrad, 1962. | 看看他在列宁格勒1962年下的棋 |
[10:58] | Look at the way he plays rook-pawn endings. | 看看他如何应对车兵残局 |
[11:00] | Look at the games with Luchenko and Spassky. | 看看他和卢申科与斯帕斯基的棋局 |
[11:05] | You might learn something. | 你或许能学到点东西 |
[11:13] | No, this way. | 不对 是这边 |
[11:17] | 瓦西里·博尔戈夫 《我与象棋》 | |
[11:20] | Right. | 好吧 |
[11:26] | “Look at the games with Luchenko and Spassky, | “看看他和卢申科与斯帕斯基的棋局 |
[11:29] | you might learn something.” Fuck. | 你或许能学到点东西” 妈的 |
[11:33] | “I’m a master.” | “我是个大师” |
[11:36] | It was so bad. | 太烂了 |
[12:09] | Summer’s coming. | 夏天要来了 |
[12:16] | Radio’s a little loud, don’t you think? | 收音机声音有点响了 你不觉得吗 |
[12:19] | Come on. | 来嘛 |
[12:20] | I’ll turn it down after this. I just… | 这首歌之后我就调轻 我只是 |
[12:24] | I love this song. | 我很喜欢这首歌 |
[12:33] | *Sun lights up the day time* | *太阳照亮白昼* |
[12:36] | *Moon lights up the night* | *月亮照亮黑夜* |
[12:43] | Are you coming? | 你来吗 |
[13:51] | “If you already in a fight, you want the first blow to be the last.” | “如果你已经处在战斗中 最好一招制胜” |
[13:55] | “And you better be the one to throw it.” | “而且最好是你的一招” |
[14:02] | “Few things are as mentally brutal as chess.” | “很少有什么像象棋一般耗费脑力” |
[14:15] | “Attackers may sometimes regret their moves, | “进攻者有时会后悔走错棋 |
[14:17] | but it is much worse to forever regret | 但更令人悔恨终身的是 |
[14:20] | an opportunity you allowed to pass you by.” | 放走进攻机会” |
[14:24] | So, it’s not always about attacking. | 所以不一定要节节进攻 |
[14:30] | Sometimes, it’s much better to take a piece back. | 有时 退一步是更好的选择 |
[14:35] | So, this is Smyslov versus Botvinnik. | 这是斯密斯洛夫对战博特文尼克的棋局 |
[14:38] | Now, as you can see, | 你能看到 |
[14:39] | Botvinnik should have taken the pawn with the queen. | 博特文尼克本可以用后吃掉对方的兵 |
[14:43] | He must have been very tired, | 他肯定累坏了 |
[14:45] | or someone must have drugged his tea. | 或者有人在他的茶里下药了 |
[14:51] | Anyway, I always thought that was interesting. | 反正我总觉得这步走得很有意思 |
[14:53] | “I know I’m a good player, | “我知道自己是出色的棋手 |
[14:55] | but now I’m up aganist people half my age.” | 但现在我的对手都比我小一半” |
[14:58] | “I don’t know how long I can keep winning.” | “我不知道自己还能赢多久” |
[15:06] | “I can fight against anyone but time.” | “我可以与任何人对弈 唯独无法对抗时间” |
[15:11] | I’m moving out of the hotel tomorrow. | 我明天就从酒店搬出去了 |
[15:15] | Into my apartment. | 搬进公寓 |
[15:20] | Play pawn to king five. | 走兵到王线第五格 |
[15:25] | Humor me. | 试试嘛 |
[15:30] | – That’s unusual. – Yeah. | -很独特的走法 -对 |
[15:31] | Player named Mikinas came up with that one. | 一个叫米基纳斯的棋手想的招数 |
[15:34] | How far away is it? | 有多远 |
[15:36] | The apartment. | 你的公寓 |
[15:39] | New Circle Road. | 新环路 |
[15:41] | I won’t be coming by so much. | 我没法经常过来了 |
[15:44] | It’s not so far away. | 也不是很远 |
[15:46] | No, but I’ll be taking classes, | 对 但我要上课 |
[15:48] | and I should probably get a part-time job. | 而且我该找个兼职 |
[15:56] | You could move in here if you want. | 如果你愿意 可以搬进来 |
[15:59] | You know, for free. | 免费的 |
[16:05] | Really? | 真的吗 |
[16:07] | Yeah. | 对 |
[16:09] | Really. | 真的 |
[16:27] | – Sorry, I… – Uh… no. No. | -抱歉 我… -不 没关系 |
[16:32] | I-I just wasn’t ready. | 我只是没准备好 |
[16:39] | I’m ready now. | 现在我准备好了 |
[16:48] | Now or never. | 机不可失 |
[17:21] | So, um… | 那么 |
[17:23] | should I stay here or go back to my room? | 我该留在这还是回我的房间 |
[17:28] | Whatever you want. | 随便你 |
[17:37] | Okay. | 好 |
[17:50] | Good night. | 晚安 |
[17:52] | Good night. | 晚安 |
[18:12] | Beth? | 贝丝 |
[18:13] | Beth Harmon? | 贝丝·哈蒙 |
[18:17] | Margaret Neil. | 我是玛格丽特·尼尔 |
[18:18] | Well, Margaret Johnson now. | 现在改名叫玛格丽特·约翰逊了 |
[18:20] | Fairfield High? | 费尔菲尔德高中 |
[18:24] | Margaret. Right. Hi. | 玛格丽特 对 你好 |
[18:27] | Mike and I tied the knot right after graduation. | 迈克和我毕业后就结婚了 |
[18:31] | Congratulations. | 恭喜 |
[18:32] | Not long after, we were blessed with this little one. | 不久后 我们就有了这个小家伙 |
[18:36] | What’s her name? | 她叫什么 |
[18:37] | Jean, after Mike’s grandmother. | 简 跟迈克的祖母一样 |
[18:40] | I read about you. | 我读到了你的事 |
[18:42] | The chess and the traveling. | 象棋和旅行 |
[18:45] | It must be exciting. | 肯定很有趣 |
[18:46] | It is. | 是的 |
[18:48] | Being around all those boys is a real thrill. | 在那么多男孩身边非常刺激 |
[18:54] | You wanted to know what the boys were like, | 你之前问我那些男孩都什么样 |
[18:56] | if I dated any of them. | 我是否跟他们约会过 |
[18:59] | That time I came over to your house with the Apple Pis. | 就是我去你家参加苹果派聚会的时候 |
[19:05] | Gosh! | 天呐 |
[19:06] | That seems, uh… | 那感觉 |
[19:08] | like a million years ago, doesn’t it? | 都是几百年前的事了 对吧 |
[19:14] | I should probably get my errands done, before this one gets… | 我该去办事了 免得这个小家伙 |
[19:18] | really fussy, and the window of opportunity, | 变得不耐烦 而且机会的窗口 |
[19:21] | as we like to say, slams shut. | 如常言所说 关上了 |
[19:25] | It was nice to see you. | 很高兴见到你 |
[19:28] | You, too. | 我也是 |
[19:29] | I think there’s more to life than chess. | 我觉得象棋不是生命的唯一 |
[19:32] | Yeah, one of my heroes is Philidor. | 我的一个偶像是费里多 |
[19:35] | This French musician, used to play chess blindfolded in Paris and London. | 法国音乐家 以前会在巴黎和伦敦下盲棋 |
[19:39] | Diderot wrote him a letter. | 狄德罗给他写了一封信 |
[19:41] | Now, you know Diderot? | 你知道狄德罗吗 |
[19:43] | French Revolution? | 法国大革命吗 |
[19:44] | Yeah, it’s close enough. | 嗯 差不多 |
[19:46] | So, uh, Philidor was doing blindfold exhibitions | 费里多一直致力于下盲棋 |
[19:49] | and burning out his brain, | 绞尽脑力 |
[19:51] | or whatever it was they thought you did | 或无论别人觉得你在 |
[19:53] | in the 18th century. Anyway… | 18世纪会做的事 总之 |
[19:55] | Diderot wrote to him and said something like, | 狄德罗给他写了一封信 说了这样的话 |
[19:59] | “It’s foolish to run the risk of going mad for vanity’s sake.” | “冒着陷入疯狂的风险追求虚荣 实在愚蠢至极” |
[20:04] | Now, I think about that sometimes, | 我有时会想起这句话 |
[20:06] | when I’m analyzing my ass off over a chess board. | 在我拼命分析棋局的时候 |
[20:15] | I, um… I saw your picture on the cover of Chess Review, | 我 我看到了你在《象棋天下》的照片 |
[20:18] | and those pictures Townes took in Las Vegas, | 还有陶恩斯在拉斯维加斯拍的照片 |
[20:22] | for the Lexington paper. | 出版在莱克星顿报纸上 |
[20:25] | They were beautiful. | 非常美 |
[20:28] | – I thought maybe the two of you were– – No, we weren’t. | -我以为也许你们俩 -不 没有 |
[20:34] | Truth is… | 事实是 |
[20:36] | I was waiting for you to come back. | 我在等你回来 |
[20:41] | You’re the reason I got my teeth fixed. | 我是为了你修牙的 |
[20:42] | Didn’t Koltanowski use to play blindfolded all the time? | 科塔诺夫斯基不也一直下盲棋吗 |
[20:47] | And he wasn’t crazy. | 他没疯 |
[20:53] | No, no, no, he’s-he’s not. It was, um… | 对 他确实没疯 那个 |
[20:56] | It was Morphy who went crazy, and Steinitz. | 发疯的人是墨菲 还有斯坦尼茨 |
[21:00] | Morphy thought people were trying to steal his shoes. | 墨菲总觉得别人要偷他的鞋子 |
[21:03] | Well, maybe he thought shoes were bishops. | 或许他觉得鞋子是象 |
[21:08] | Yeah, maybe. | 对 或许吧 |
[21:14] | Beth? | 贝丝 |
[21:19] | Let’s play chess. | 我们下棋吧 |
[21:22] | Okay. | 好 |
[21:31] | Two packs of Chesterfields, please. | 两包契斯特菲尔德香烟 谢谢 |
[21:42] | This, too. | 还有这个 |
[21:48] | Sure you wouldn’t rather just steal it? | 你确定不直接偷走吗 |
[21:54] | You gonna be there? | 你会去吗 |
[21:55] | That tournament? | 那个锦标赛 |
[21:59] | Yes. | 会 |
[22:01] | Good luck. | 祝你好运 |
[22:05] | Keep it. | 留着吧 |
[22:09] | For the first time. | 为第一次买单 |
[22:13] | Whoa, that doesn’t look right. Your knight is hanging. | 这看起来不对 你的马情况不妙 |
[22:16] | You’re missing it. It’s a much stronger move than it looks. | 你没看出来 这步比看上去的厉害很多 |
[22:21] | Okay, watch. | 看好了 |
[22:23] | The knight takes, | 马吃子 |
[22:25] | and the pawn moves up. | 兵走上 |
[22:28] | If he didn’t move it up, the bishop would be locked in. | 如果不走 那象就被困住了 |
[22:31] | When he does… | 等对方这么做时 |
[22:35] | …the other pawn falls. | 另一个兵就保不住了 |
[22:38] | – What about the other bishop here? – For Christ’s sakes, Harry. | -那这边的象呢 -天呐 哈利 |
[22:40] | It’s check once the pawn moves, and the knight trades. | 一旦走兵 马换象 就直接将军了 |
[22:43] | Can’t you see that? | 你看不出来吗 |
[22:45] | No, I can’t. I can’t find it that fast. | 不 不行 我没法这么快看出来 |
[22:47] | Well, wish you could. | 真希望你可以 |
[22:52] | You’re too sharp for me. | 你对我要求太高了 |
[24:01] | Breakfast is almost ready. | 早餐就快好了 |
[24:09] | I have taught you everything I know. | 我已经教会了你我知道的一切 |
[24:12] | Which, admittedly, is not a lot. | 说实话 并不多 |
[24:16] | I’ve got to start studying. | 我得开始学习了 |
[24:19] | I’m supposed to be an electrical engineer, not a chess bum. | 我该成为一个电气工程师 而不流浪棋手 |
[24:25] | Where are you gonna go? | 你要去哪 |
[24:27] | I’m moving to that apartment. | 我要搬去那个公寓 |
[24:31] | It’s closer to the university. | 离大学近 |
[24:39] | – I’m gonna leave you– – You’re wrong, you know. | -我要给你 -你错了 |
[24:42] | You’ve taught me a lot. | 你教会了我很多 |
[24:45] | I’m really glad you called. | 我很开心你打给了我 |
[24:47] | I’m glad I could be here with you, you know? | 我也很开心能在这陪你 |
[24:51] | After you lost your mom. | 在你母亲去世后 |
[24:53] | It’s more than that. | 不仅如此 |
[24:58] | You’ve really helped me. | 你真的帮了我 |
[25:00] | I guess you’ve helped me, too. | 我想你也帮了我 |
[25:03] | You’ve helped me realize something. | 你帮我认识到一件事 |
[25:06] | What? | 什么 |
[25:08] | That I don’t love chess. | 我并不爱象棋 |
[25:11] | No, it’s okay. | 不 没关系 |
[25:13] | I just don’t love it as much as I once did. | 我只是没有以前那么喜爱了 |
[25:17] | I’m not obsessed with it the way one has to be to win it all. | 我不痴迷于象棋 仿佛需要为此赢得一切 |
[25:22] | The way you are. | 就像你那样 |
[25:26] | I’m gonna leave you… | 我要给你 |
[25:30] | this. | 这个 |
[25:33] | You have a lot in common. | 你们有很多共同点 |
[25:34] | 《保罗·墨菲和象棋的黄金时代》 威廉·埃沃特·纳皮尔著 | |
[25:35] | Really? | 真的吗 |
[25:37] | Morphy was a lawyer or something, in New Orleans. | 墨菲是个律师什么的吧 在新奥尔良 |
[25:40] | You look at his games, | 你看看他的棋局 |
[25:42] | the way he played. | 他的步法 |
[25:44] | He sacrificed knights and bishops | 他愿意牺牲马和象 |
[25:46] | like he had a dozen instead of two, | 好像他有一打 而不只是两个 |
[25:48] | and then he’d move in on the king so fast, | 然后他会迅速进攻对方的王 |
[25:50] | his opponents would just freeze up. | 让对手直接石化 |
[25:54] | It’s too bad Morphy and Capablanca | 真遗憾墨菲和卡帕布兰卡 |
[25:56] | hadn’t been alive at the same time. | 没有生活在同一个时代 |
[25:57] | They could’ve played each other. | 他们可以对弈 |
[25:59] | Yeah, it’s too bad Morphy | 是啊 很遗憾墨菲 |
[26:00] | fell into a muttering paranoia and died. | 变成了喃喃自语的偏执狂 最后去世了 |
[26:06] | He would stay up all night, in Paris, before his games, | 他在巴黎比赛的前一天会整宿不睡 |
[26:10] | drinking in cafes, and talking with strangers. | 喝着咖啡 和陌生人交谈 |
[26:15] | And then he’d play the next day like a shark. | 然后第二天像鲨鱼一般下棋 |
[26:20] | Well-mannered, well-dressed, moving the pieces | 彬彬有礼 衣冠楚楚 用那如女士般的 |
[26:23] | with these small, ladylike hands. | 纤细的手指移动棋子 |
[26:27] | Crushing one European master after another. | 打败一个又一个的欧洲特级大师 |
[26:32] | You know what they called him? | 你知道人们怎么称呼他吗 |
[26:36] | “The pride and the sorrow of chess.” | “象棋届的骄傲与悲伤” |
[26:40] | And then he retired at 22. | 然后他22岁就退役了 |
[26:43] | – And you think that’s gonna be me? – I think that is you. | -你觉得我会那样吗 -我觉得那就是你 |
[26:48] | I think maybe… | 我想或许 |
[26:50] | it’s always been you. | 一直以来都是你 |
[27:08] | Be careful, Beth. | 小心 贝丝 |
[28:40] | 美国锦标赛 全美象棋锦标赛 俄亥俄州 1967年 | |
[28:45] | Why, hello, Beth. | 好啊 贝丝 |
[28:47] | Why, hello, Benny. | 好啊 本尼 |
[28:51] | I read about your game with Borgov. | 我看到了你和博尔戈夫的棋局 |
[28:52] | That must have felt terrible. | 肯定感觉糟透了 |
[28:54] | – I felt like a fool. – I know that feeling. | -我感觉像个傻子 -我能感同身受 |
[28:57] | Helpless. | 无助 |
[28:59] | It all goes, and you just… | 再下也毫无意义 你只是 |
[29:01] | push wood. | 在推小木头 |
[29:06] | Who have you got up first? | 你的第一个对手是谁 |
[29:08] | Manfredi. | 曼弗雷迪 |
[29:14] | That shouldn’t take too long. | 应该用不了多久 |
[29:16] | Highest-rated players in the whole fucking country, | 整个国家等级分最高的选手们 |
[29:20] | and yet here we are at some second-rate university, | 却在这个二流的大学里下棋 |
[29:23] | playing on cheap plastic boards with cheap plastic pieces. | 用着便宜的塑料棋盘和便宜的塑料棋子 |
[29:29] | If this were a golf or tennis tournament, | 如果这是高尔夫或网球锦标赛 |
[29:31] | we’d be surrounded by reporters, as opposed to… | 我们肯定会被记者簇拥 而不是 |
[29:35] | …whoever these people are. | 无论这些是什么货色 |
[29:37] | You should see the places they play in the Soviet Union. | 你该看看苏联下象棋的地方 |
[29:40] | I’m planning on it. | 我正有此意 |
[29:42] | You have to get past me first. | 你得先打败我 |
[29:44] | I’m planning on that, too. | 我也正有此意 |
[31:41] | Now, most players, they lack the courage in their convictions. | 多数选手 他们缺乏对自己判断的勇气 |
[31:44] | The key is to not be tentative. | 关键在于不能踌躇不决 |
[31:46] | You have to play with absolute confidence. | 下棋时你必须拥有绝对的自信 |
[31:48] | I can tell, on the first move, | 从第一步我就能看出 |
[31:49] | whether someone’s got that or they don’t, | 对方是否有那个信心和勇气 |
[31:51] | just from how they move that first piece. | 仅从他们第一步棋的步法就能看出 |
[31:54] | What advice would you give to any young chess players | 对那些想追随你脚步的年轻象棋选手 |
[31:56] | who wanna follow in your footsteps? | 你有什么建议吗 |
[32:00] | I’d tell them to read my book. | 我会让他们读我的书 |
[32:02] | Obviously. | 显然 |
[32:05] | Yeah, play through all the games. | 对 把里面的棋局都下一边 |
[32:07] | You know, I’d tell them to get in shape. | 我还希望他们保持身材 |
[32:08] | Most people, they think about chess players, | 多数人 他们想到象棋选手 |
[32:10] | they think about people who look like you. | 就想到你这样的人 |
[32:12] | Harmon! | 哈蒙 |
[32:14] | Wait up. | 等等 |
[32:19] | Found you a reporter, I see. | 看来你找到了记者 |
[32:21] | Funny. Ha. | 真有趣 |
[32:24] | What did you do to that poor guy you played in the third round? | 你对第三轮那个可怜人做了什么 |
[32:27] | He looked like he wanted to kill himself. | 他看起来都要自杀了 |
[32:29] | Which poor guy are you talking about? | 你说的是哪个可怜人 |
[32:32] | Touche. | 说的有理 |
[32:36] | Some of us have been, | 我们哥几个 |
[32:38] | uh, heading down to the student union, | 打算去学生会活动中心 |
[32:39] | having a couple beers, playing some speed chess. | 喝几杯啤酒 下几盘快棋 |
[32:41] | You should join us. | 你一起来吧 |
[32:42] | No, thanks. I have to study. | 不 谢了 我要学习 |
[32:45] | Thought I’d go back to the dorms, read your book. | 我想着回宿舍 看你的书 |
[32:49] | You know, get in shape. | 保持身材 |
[32:52] | You do realize that we have the whole day off tomorrow? | 你知道我们明天一整天都没事吧 |
[32:56] | Can I ask you a question? | 我能问你个问题吗 |
[32:59] | Depends on whether or not the answer will give you an edge. | 却决于答案是否会给你优势 |
[33:02] | Seriously? | 真的假的 |
[33:03] | Are you that nervous? | 你有那么紧张吗 |
[33:05] | – Was that the question? – No! What’s with the knife? | -什么问题 -不 刀是干什么的 |
[33:09] | What do you mean? | 什么意思 |
[33:10] | I mean, why do you carry it around? | 你为什么到处带着走 |
[33:14] | This is for protection. | 这是为了保护 |
[33:18] | – From what? – Whatever. | -防什么 -以防万一 |
[33:23] | Study hard. | 你好好学习 |
[34:40] | Beth! | 贝丝 |
[34:48] | Beth Harmon, this is Danny Weiss and Dave Friedman. | 贝丝·哈蒙 这是丹尼·维斯和戴夫·弗里德曼 |
[34:54] | Nice to meet you. | 幸会 |
[34:55] | Actually, we met. You beat me the other day. | 其实我们见过了 那天你打败了我 |
[34:58] | Me, too. Rather badly, in fact. | 我也是 我还输得很惨 |
[35:02] | – Sorry. – Don’t be. | -抱歉 -不必 |
[35:03] | After I finished weeping in my room, I replayed the game. | 我在房间里哭完后 重现了棋局 |
[35:06] | Learned a lot from it, so thank you. | 学到了很多 谢谢 |
[35:09] | – You’re welcome. – Beth, take a look at this. | -不客气 -贝丝 你看看这个 |
[35:12] | It’s White’s move. | 该白棋走了 |
[35:14] | What would you do? | 你会怎么下 |
[35:18] | Typical mid-game Ruy Lopez. | 典型的西班牙开局后的中局 |
[35:20] | Well, yeah, we know that, but what’s the move? | 对 我们知道 但你会怎么走 |
[35:25] | – You see? – Maybe you’re right. | -你瞧 -或许你是对的 |
[35:27] | No, I know I’m right, and Beth sees things the same way I do. | 不 我知道我是对的 贝丝看棋的思路跟我一样 |
[35:31] | The pawn move is too weak, right? | 走兵太弱了 对吧 |
[35:34] | The pawn move only works if he plays his bishop. | 只有他走象 走兵这招才有用 |
[35:36] | Exactly. | 没错 |
[35:37] | – Bye, boys. – Whoa, hold on. | -再见 小伙子们 -等等 |
[35:39] | How about some speed chess? | 下几盘快棋吧 |
[35:43] | Or we could play some skittles, or blitz, | 或随便下下 或闪电战 |
[35:46] | or bughouse? | 或四人象棋 |
[35:47] | No, I’m just gonna get some coffee, | 不 我就是来拿杯咖啡 |
[35:50] | and then I’m gonna go back and study. | 然后我就要回去学习了 |
[35:51] | Well, Weiss will get you some coffee, won’t you, Weiss? | 维斯能帮你拿咖啡 对吧 维斯 |
[35:57] | Yeah. | 当然 |
[36:00] | Sugar, cream? | 糖 奶油 |
[36:03] | Yes. | 都要 |
[36:05] | – Thank you. – Uh, get me an apple juice. | -谢谢 -给我个苹果汁 |
[36:08] | But not one of those, uh, crappy plastic cups. | 不要那种用塑料杯装的 |
[36:10] | Get me a-a milk glass. | 要玻璃瓶的那种 |
[36:12] | Yeah, sure. | 好 没问题 |
[36:16] | Please, sit. | 坐吧 |
[36:20] | Fine. | 行 |
[36:22] | One game. | 就一局 |
[36:24] | – Got it? – All right. | -听到了吗 -好 |
[36:30] | Okay. | 好的 |
[36:32] | Shall we say… | 那不如 |
[36:35] | five bucks a game? | 五块一局 |
[36:37] | I haven’t even had my coffee. | 我都还没喝上咖啡呢 |
[36:39] | Well, look, here it comes right now. | 你瞧 这不马上就来了吗 |
[36:44] | – There you go. – Thank you. | -给你 -谢谢 |
[36:48] | All right, you take a sip of that coffee, | 你喝一口咖啡 |
[36:50] | and I’ll punch your clock. | 我开启你的棋钟 |
[36:58] | Go ahead. | 来吧 |
[37:49] | Again? | 再来一局吗 |
[38:09] | Again? | 再来一局吗 |
[38:34] | Again? | 再来一局吗 |
[39:02] | Again? | 再来一局吗 |
[39:43] | – I need to see proof. – Calling me a liar? | -我需要证据 -你是说我骗人吗 |
[40:10] | It’s gonna be you or me. | 不是你就是我 |
[40:19] | Are you trying to psych me out? | 你是想吓坏我吗 |
[40:21] | No, I don’t need to do that to beat you. | 不 我不需要那样也能打败你 |
[40:28] | Listen, I’m sorry about yesterday, okay? | 听着 昨天很抱歉 |
[40:30] | I wasn’t trying to hustle you. | 我不是想坑你 |
[40:31] | – Weren’t you? – Come on, Beth. | -不是吗 -拜托 贝丝 |
[40:34] | You’re the best player here. | 你是这里最优秀的棋手 |
[40:37] | And I’ve been watching your games. You… | 而且我一直在看你的棋局 你… |
[40:39] | You attack like Alekhine. | 你的进攻方式像阿列瀚 |
[40:42] | You held me off well enough yesterday. | 你昨晚可把我杀得片甲不留 |
[40:44] | But that doesn’t count. That’s speed chess. | 但那不算 那是快棋 |
[40:46] | I’m better at speed chess than you. I play a lot of it in New York. | 我本来快棋就下得比你好 我在纽约经常玩 |
[40:49] | – You beat me in Las Vegas. – That was a while ago. | -你在拉斯维加斯也击败了我 -那都是陈年往事了 |
[40:52] | You were too hung up on doubling my pawns. | 你那时只想着要提放我的叠兵 |
[40:54] | I don’t think I could get away with that again. | 我觉得我没法再用这一招了 |
[41:01] | Do you ever go over games in your head? | 你会在脑海里复盘棋局吗 |
[41:04] | When you’re alone. Play all the way through them? | 当你一个人 从头到尾下一遍 |
[41:09] | Doesn’t everybody? | 大家不都是吗 |
[41:34] | Well, I never thought you’d let me trade queens. | 我真没想到你会让我换后 |
[41:36] | I didn’t think so, either. | 我也没想到 |
[41:38] | Thirty moves, man, Jesus. | 30步就完了 天呐 |
[41:40] | That many? | 有那么多步吗 |
[41:44] | Looks like you can outdrink me, too. | 看来你酒量也比我好 |
[41:48] | I really appreciate the way you’re taking this. | 我很谢谢你能输得起 |
[41:50] | – I’m raging inwardly. – Well, it doesn’t show. | -我内心在狂怒 -反正看不出来 |
[41:55] | Should never have played that goddamn bishop pawn. | 就不该走象兵 |
[41:57] | – No, probably not. – What are you gonna do about Borgov? | -是啊 或许是不该 -你打算怎么应对博尔戈夫 |
[42:03] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[42:04] | I don’t even have a passport. Or the right clothes. | 我都没有护照 或合适的衣服 |
[42:07] | I hear it’s pretty cold in Paris that time of year. | 我听说巴黎这个时候挺冷的 |
[42:10] | I’m not talking about Paris. I’m talking about Moscow. | 我说的不是巴黎 是莫斯科 |
[42:14] | What, do they not deliver mail in Kentucky? | 怎么 肯塔基州都不送信吗 |
[42:17] | What’s in Moscow? | 莫斯科怎么了 |
[42:19] | The Moscow Invitational. | 莫斯科邀请赛 |
[42:21] | The US winner gets invited. You didn’t know that? | 美国冠军会被邀请 你不知道吗 |
[42:27] | – Yes, ma’am. – A couple more, please. | -女士 -再来两瓶 谢谢 |
[42:30] | Uh, no, thanks. I’m still on my first. | 不 谢了 我第一瓶还没喝完 |
[42:32] | Well, I’ll drink them both. | 那我就都喝了 |
[42:35] | Easy there, tiger. | 悠着点 猛虎 |
[42:39] | How do I get to Moscow if I go? | 如果我打算去 该怎么去莫斯科 |
[42:42] | Well, I mean, when I went, | 我去的时候 |
[42:43] | the Federation paid for my ticket, and then this church group | 政府付了机票钱 然后一个教会 |
[42:47] | covered the rest of it. | 负责了剩下的支出 |
[42:48] | Did you have a second? | 你有副手吗 |
[42:50] | – Weiss. – Weiss? | -维斯 -维斯 |
[42:52] | It would be tough to go to Russia alone. | 一个人去苏联太不容易了 |
[42:54] | – Here you go. – Oh, thank you. | -给 -谢谢 |
[43:03] | You always drink this much? | 你总是喝那么多吗 |
[43:07] | Sometimes, I drink more. | 有时我喝的更多 |
[43:11] | Who else will be playing in Moscow? | 还有谁会在莫斯科比赛 |
[43:13] | Four top Russians, and four other countries. | 苏联前四强棋手 还有其他四个国家 |
[43:18] | If you keep doing this, you’re gonna end up washed up | 如果你一直这么喝 等到你21岁 |
[43:20] | by the time you’re 21. | 就芳华不再了 |
[43:27] | I like your hair. | 我喜欢你的头发 |
[43:32] | Yeah, sure you do. | 是啊 可不嘛 |
[43:34] | What about Moscow? | 那莫斯科呢 |
[43:37] | Four Soviet chess players is a lot of Soviet chess players. | 一下子四个苏联棋手太多了 |
[43:41] | Murderous. | 凶残毒辣 |
[43:43] | But you’re the only American I can think of | 但你是唯一个我觉得能够 |
[43:45] | that might be able to do it. | 打败他们的美国人 |
[43:48] | I went to pieces with Borgov in Mexico City. | 我在墨西哥城惨败给了博尔戈夫 |
[43:54] | When do you go to Paris? | 你什么时候去巴黎 |
[43:57] | In five weeks. | 五周后 |
[44:00] | Well, you’ll need a good trainer. | 那你需要个好教练 |
[44:03] | Not Harry Beltik. | 我不是说哈利·贝尔蒂克 |
[44:06] | Someone… | 一个 |
[44:08] | better. | 更厉害的人 |
[44:10] | Someone more, um, mature. | 一个更成熟的人 |
[44:13] | Who’d you have in mind? | 你有什么提议吗 |
[44:18] | Can you come to New York? | 你能来纽约吗 |
[44:23] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[44:24] | You can sleep in my living room, | 你可以睡我家客厅 |
[44:25] | and you can leave for Paris from there. | 然后直接从纽约去巴黎 |
[44:28] | That’s very nice of you, | 你真好心 |
[44:29] | but I’m not even so sure I wanna go to Paris anymore. | 但我不确定自己是否还想去巴黎 |
[44:35] | What are you gonna do instead, huh? Get drunk? | 那你打算做什么 一醉方休吗 |
[44:38] | Now that you mention it, yeah, sounds pretty good. | 既然你说到这了 听上去还挺诱人的 |
[44:43] | Beth. | 贝丝 |
[44:45] | Borgov made me look like a fool. | 博尔戈夫让我出丑了 |
[44:46] | That’s ’cause you weren’t ready. | 那是因为你没准备好 |
[44:48] | I don’t know if I’m good enough. | 我不知道我是否够好 |
[44:49] | You’re the best there is. | 你是最优秀的了 |
[44:52] | You beat me. | 你打败了我 |
[44:59] | Okay, fine. I’ll come to New York. | 行 我去纽约 |
[45:02] | Great. | 好极了 |
[45:06] | We’ll leave from here. I’ll drive us. | 我们直接从这走 我开车 |
[45:09] | – When? – Tomorrow. Afternoon. | -什么时候 -明天下午 |
[45:12] | Once everything here finishes up. | 等一切都结束后 |
[45:15] | Oh, and about sex… | 关于做爱 |
[45:19] | forget it. | 别合计了 |