时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[01:11] | I didn’t realize you were still in the house. | 我以为你已经走了 |
[01:13] | I’m sorry to startle you. | 抱歉吓到你了 |
[01:15] | Here’s the estimate. | 这是预估 |
[01:17] | House looks good. | 这房子看着不错 |
[01:19] | Can’t think you need much beyond door and window sensors. | 除了门窗感应器之外想不出还需要什么了 |
[01:21] | I included in the cost three keypads. | 我把三个小键盘的钱也算进去了 |
[01:25] | My husband wondered, | 我丈夫想问 |
[01:26] | would you ever just sell the stickers for the windows | 我们能不能只买窗户贴纸 |
[01:29] | and a sign for the front lawn? | 和门前草坪警示牌 |
[01:34] | Signs come with the sensors, I’m afraid. | 很抱歉 警示牌得和感应器一起买 |
[01:36] | Of course they do. That makes sense. | 当然了 可以理解 |
[03:54] | – Monte Rissell. – Monte Rissell. | -蒙特·里塞尔 -蒙特·里塞尔 |
[03:56] | Falls Church, Virginia. | 弗吉尼亚州福尔斯彻奇市 |
[03:58] | They sentenced him a few weeks ago. | 法院几周前下的判决 |
[04:00] | Five victims, all women, raped and murdered. | 五位受害者 都是女性 都是奸杀 |
[04:03] | Method? | 作案手段呢 |
[04:04] | First and last victim were beaten and then drowned. | 第一个和最后一个被殴打后溺死 |
[04:06] | Middle three stabbed. | 中间三个是被捅死的 |
[04:08] | – I thought one of them was shot, no? – No. | -我以为有一个是被枪杀的 -没有 |
[04:31] | Virginia State Penitentiary. Monte Ralph Rissell. | 弗吉尼亚州立监狱 蒙特·拉尔夫·里塞尔 |
[04:50] | Monte Rissell. | 蒙特·里塞尔 |
[04:53] | – Why don’t you have a seat? – Monte. | -坐吧 -蒙特 |
[04:56] | Hey, you guys need me for any of this? | 你们需要我待在这吗 |
[04:57] | No, thank you. We’d prefer to talk with you alone. | 不用了 谢谢 我们想单独谈 |
[05:02] | Behave yourself, Rissell. Move. | 老实点 里塞尔 让开 |
[05:06] | My name’s Bill Tench. This is my partner, Holden Ford. | 我叫比尔·坦奇 这是我搭档霍顿·福特 |
[05:09] | We’re from the Federal Bureau of Investigation’s | 我们是联邦调查局 |
[05:11] | Behavioral Science Unit. | 行为科学部的 |
[05:13] | – Scientists? – We’re from the Behavioral Science Unit. | -科学家 -我们是行为科学部的 |
[05:16] | We’re doing research. | 我们在做研究 |
[05:18] | Interviewing… men like you. | 约谈你这样的人 |
[05:22] | Men like me? | 我这样的人 |
[05:23] | Murderers with multiple victims. | 犯下多宗谋杀案的罪犯 |
[05:25] | To better understand why you do what you do. | 来更好地理解你们的作案动机 |
[05:30] | I’d like to know, too. | 我也想知道 |
[05:40] | – You think this might help? – Help with what? | -你觉得这会有帮助吗 -帮助什么 |
[05:44] | Find a cure. | 找到治愈方法 |
[05:47] | No idea. | 不知道 |
[05:56] | Think I could get some Big Red? | 你能给我搞点大红吗 |
[05:58] | “Big Red”? | “大红” |
[06:00] | Pop. | 碳酸饮料 |
[06:01] | You know, like, soda. | 就是汽水 |
[06:04] | Used to have it when I was a kid. | 我小时候常喝 |
[06:07] | I always loved Big Red. | 我一直都很喜欢大红汽水 |
[06:09] | – We’ll see what we can do. – That’ll depend on the insights. | -我们会想办法的 -那要看你给的料了 |
[06:13] | I can’t get stuff like that in here. | 我在这里面搞不到那种东西 |
[06:14] | What do you say we get down to brass tacks? | 我们还是谈回正题吧 |
[06:17] | What do you want to know? | 你们想知道什么 |
[06:22] | Why I raped those girls in Florida? | 我为什么在佛罗里达强奸了那些女孩 |
[06:24] | For starters, how did you choose your victims? | 首先 你怎么选择受害者的 |
[06:27] | Victims? | 受害者 |
[06:29] | That doesn’t sound good. | 这说法可不太友好 |
[06:31] | No, it doesn’t. | 的确不 |
[06:35] | How many other… “men like me” are you talking to? | 你们还要和多少”我这样的人”谈话 |
[06:38] | Quite a few, Monte. | 还有不少 蒙特 |
[06:40] | They all talk to you? | 他们都愿意和你们谈吗 |
[06:43] | It’s… early days. | 现在…还在开始阶段 |
[06:49] | – Really think you can get some Big Red? – Look at me, Monte. | -你真能弄到大红汽水吗 -看着我 蒙特 |
[06:52] | Let’s stay on track. | 不要跑题 |
[06:55] | You know what? | 你知道吗 |
[06:57] | – I don’t think I’m interested. – Fine. | -我觉得我没兴趣 -好吧 |
[07:01] | You want to diddle around, we’ll walk out of here. | 你想浪费时间 我们就走了 |
[07:04] | We’ll go have a nice, leisurely lunch wherever the fuck we want, | 我们去挑个地方悠闲地好好吃一顿 |
[07:10] | and then take the picturesque drive back to Quantico. | 一路欣赏着如画的美景开回匡提科 |
[07:15] | What’s the rest of your day look like? | 这一天你又会怎么过 |
[07:19] | What my partner’s too polite to say is, | 我搭档不太好意思说得这么直白 |
[07:21] | we’re talking to men like you | 我们和你这样的人谈话 |
[07:22] | because we can’t understand | 是因为我们无法理解 |
[07:24] | how someone could fuck up their life so completely | 怎么会有人能如此彻底地毁了自己的一生 |
[07:26] | before he’s barely old enough to vote. | 而他甚至还没有到法定投票年龄 |
[07:30] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[07:35] | I first got into trouble at 14. | 我第一次惹事是在14岁 |
[07:39] | They sent me to Florida. This, uh… | 他们把我送到了佛罗里达一个… |
[07:42] | “Juvenile facility.” | “少管所” |
[07:45] | Doctors watching over me all the time. | 那里有医生全天候盯着我 |
[07:51] | I had four girls while I was under observation. | 我在他们眼皮底下强奸了四个女孩 |
[07:54] | But you didn’t kill those girls in Florida, that came later. | 但你没有杀佛州那些女孩 那是之后的事 |
[07:57] | What was different when you | 你从医院出来后 |
[07:58] | came back from the hospital? What changed? | 有什么不一样吗 是什么变了 |
[08:03] | Let’s see. | 让我想想 |
[08:06] | They let me out. | 他们放我出来了 |
[08:08] | I come back up here, | 我回到这里 |
[08:10] | get myself a job, a girlfriend. | 找了份工作 交了个女朋友 |
[08:12] | Girlfriend’s a year ahead, she goes off to state college, | 女朋友比我大一岁 去了州立大学 |
[08:15] | but, you know, we keep in touch, we write. | 但我们还保持着联系 我们会写信 |
[08:20] | You’re taping it, man. | 你录着音呢 老兄 |
[08:21] | Taking notes helps with transcription. | 记笔记有助于转录文本 |
[08:24] | You were saying? Back in school, a free man… | 你刚刚说 回到学校 重获自由 |
[08:26] | Not free, no, sir. | 不自由 长官 |
[08:28] | Probation, counseling, therapy. | 缓刑条例 心理咨询 治疗 |
[08:33] | I gotta keep checking in or they send me back. | 我得不停报到 不然他们就会送我回去 |
[08:35] | But you got yourself a girlfriend… | 但你还是找到了女朋友 |
[08:38] | Do I, though? | 可是真是这样吗 |
[08:40] | You know chicks. | 你也了解妹子的 |
[08:42] | She sends me a letter. | 她写信给我 |
[08:44] | Tells me, shocker, there’s all these guys up at school, you know. | 说 哇 学校里好多优秀的男的 |
[08:47] | There’s all this, uh… | 还有很多… |
[08:52] | She tells me, in so many words, she wants to ball other guys. | 她以各种委婉的方式告诉我 她想和其他人上床 |
[08:57] | What am I supposed to do with that? | 我怎么忍得了 |
[09:00] | I hop in the car, gotta see it for myself, and what do you know, | 我跳上车 得亲自去看看 结果 |
[09:04] | there she is, making out with some dork. | 正好看到她和一个呆子在亲热 |
[09:08] | What a dumbshit, right? | 我真蠢 对吧 |
[09:10] | Chicks. | 女人就是这样 |
[09:13] | What can you do? | 你能怎么办 |
[09:15] | You can’t live with them. | 忍不了 |
[09:20] | I’ll tell you what you can fucking do. | 我告诉你们能怎么做 |
[09:23] | I get some beer, because I’m fucking angry, | 我喝了点啤酒 因为我气炸了 |
[09:26] | I have some weed, | 抽了点大麻 |
[09:28] | and I’m smoking, and thinking, | 我边抽边想 |
[09:30] | and driving, and drinking, and then… | 边喝酒边开车 然后 |
[09:36] | Then I’m back at my apartment, | 我回到了自己的公寓 |
[09:38] | in the parking lot, | 在停车场里 |
[09:40] | no idea how I got there. | 我都不知道是怎么到那儿的 |
[09:43] | A car pulls into the lot. | 一辆车开了进来 |
[09:45] | Girl on her own, maybe 20, 25. | 一个女孩独自一人 大概20 25岁 |
[09:51] | It’s got to be four in the morning. | 当时应该是凌晨四点 |
[09:54] | It’s like… | 就像… |
[09:56] | the idea of doing it | 作案的念头 |
[09:59] | pops in your head like a… | 突然就冒了出来 |
[10:05] | Like a sneeze, you know what I mean? | 像打喷嚏一样毫无预兆 你懂我意思吗 |
[10:08] | I hop out the car, tap on the window, | 我下了车 敲她的车窗 |
[10:11] | pull the gun, | 拿出枪 |
[10:13] | drag her into the woods, | 把她拽进了树林里 |
[10:15] | rip her fucking panties off, hike up her skirt. | 扯掉她的内裤 掀起她的裙子 |
[10:18] | “Oh, yeah, give it to me, baby! | “真爽 给我 宝贝 |
[10:20] | I want it, I’m so horny.” | 我想要 我好想要” |
[10:21] | I’m trying to rape her, but she won’t shut up. | 我想强奸她 但她不肯闭嘴 |
[10:24] | She takes off screaming, | 她尖叫着逃走 |
[10:26] | runs through the parking lot, down a ravine. | 穿过停车场 沿着山谷狂奔 |
[10:28] | You know, she’s stronger than me, but I’m fast. | 她力气比我大 但我比她跑得快 |
[10:31] | I catch up to her. I get her in a headlock. | 我追上她 把她的头夹在腋下 |
[10:35] | I choke her. | 让她不能呼吸 |
[10:36] | We go rolling down the hill into a stream. | 我们滚下山 滚进了一条小溪 |
[10:38] | The whole thing is fucking chaos. | 整个过程就是一团乱 |
[10:40] | I smash her head against a rock, | 我抓着她的头砸向一块石头 |
[10:43] | hold her underwater… | 把她摁在水里 |
[10:47] | and that’s that. | 就这样 |
[10:50] | No more drama. | 结束了 |
[10:53] | You had a gun, why not use it? | 你当时有枪 为什么不用 |
[10:57] | I wanted to cool her off. | 我想让她冷静下来 |
[10:59] | Do you think… Pardon me. | 你觉得… 不好意思 |
[11:01] | Do you think it would’ve ended differently if she hadn’t… | 你觉得结果会不会有所不同 如果她没有… |
[11:06] | – Like, if she wasn’t… – Wasn’t what? | -如果她不是… -不是什么 |
[11:08] | A fucking prostitute? | 妓女吗 |
[11:11] | Yeah, could be. Could be. | 可能吧 有可能 |
[11:15] | Your science buddy might have something there. | 你的科学小伙伴可能说到点子上了 |
[11:19] | Second time, this blonde chick, | 第二次 那个金发妞 |
[11:20] | she will not stop with the questions. | 她不停地问问题 |
[11:24] | I have her driving at gunpoint, and she’s like, | 我拿枪指着她让她开车 她就不停地说 |
[11:27] | “Why are you doing this? Don’t you have a girlfriend? | “你为什么要这么做 你没有女朋友吗 |
[11:29] | What are you planning to do? Why me?” | 你要干什么 为什么是我” |
[11:32] | Is that why you stabbed her? | 所以你就捅死了她吗 |
[11:34] | I had to. | 我别无选择 |
[11:36] | Shut her the fuck up. | 这样才能让她闭嘴 |
[11:38] | Then you drove around for hours in her car. | 然后你开着她的车转了几个小时 |
[11:42] | Yeah. | 是的 |
[11:44] | By the third girl, you could say I had, | 到了第三个姑娘时 可以说 |
[11:47] | uh… perfected the routine. | 我的手法变娴熟了 |
[11:48] | You stabbed her, too? | 你也捅了她吗 |
[11:50] | Yeah. | 是的 |
[11:54] | I stabbed her so many times. | 我捅了她很多刀 |
[11:57] | Yeesh… | 妈呀 |
[11:59] | I did let one of ’em go, though. | 不过我也放走过一个 |
[12:04] | Yeah. | 没错 |
[12:05] | We’re in the car, I’m getting ready, she has no idea. | 我们在车里 我准备好了 她全然不知 |
[12:09] | All of a sudden she starts crying, out of nowhere. | 突然间不知为什么她开始大哭 |
[12:12] | Tells me her daddy’s dying… Cancer. | 说她爸爸快死了 得了癌症 |
[12:19] | My brother had cancer. | 我哥哥得过癌症 |
[12:22] | Cancer. It’s, uh… | 癌症 这病… |
[12:24] | It’s a bitch, man. | 很要命 |
[12:28] | Yeah, it’s hard on a human being. | 得这病的人可不好过 |
[12:30] | So I let her go. | 所以我把她放了 |
[12:32] | It’s, uh… | 那… |
[12:36] | It’s a weird feeling, man. | 那种感觉很奇怪 |
[12:37] | What’s a weird feeling, Monte? | 什么奇怪的感觉 蒙特 |
[12:41] | How do I put it? | 怎么说呢 |
[12:44] | – Showing mercy. – What? | -对她开恩 -什么 |
[12:47] | Come on, kid. | 得了吧 小子 |
[12:48] | You don’t expect us to buy your mercy horseshit. | 你不会以为我们真信你有怜悯之心这种鬼话吧 |
[12:50] | I think what Agent Tench means is… | 我想坦奇探员的意思是… |
[12:53] | I think I’ve had enough science for one day. | 我今天不想再陪你们做行为科学研究了 |
[12:57] | Throat’s a little dry. | 喉咙有点干了 |
[13:33] | – Maybe next time you should be careful… – Holden. | -或许下次你说话该注意一点 -霍顿 |
[13:35] | – I didn’t say anything. – You don’t have to. I get it. | -我什么都没说 -不用你说 我懂 |
[13:38] | – Let’s move on. – I wasn’t going to reprimand you. | -别提这事了 -我没打算责怪你 |
[13:40] | I hope not. | 但愿如此 |
[13:43] | Okay, we’re moving on. | 好吧 不提了 |
[13:58] | Here’s the thing. | 我是这么想的 |
[13:59] | Monte Rissell danced around | 蒙特·里塞尔自小 |
[14:00] | a bunch of psychiatrists when he was a kid. | 就和很多心理医生周旋 |
[14:02] | Did the same thing when he was on parole. | 假释期间也是如此 |
[14:04] | He’s an Olympic-class bullshitter. | 他说谎的水平可是世界一流 |
[14:07] | Why do we think he’s suddenly being honest with us? | 我们为什么觉得他会突然跟我们说实话 |
[14:09] | But we don’t think he’s being completely honest. Do we? | 但我们并不觉得他对我们完全诚实 不是吗 |
[14:13] | We just need to extract what’s useful and discard the rest. | 我们只用提炼出有用的信息 摒弃其它 |
[14:17] | So my mistake with Rissell was what? | 那我刚才对里塞尔说错了什么 |
[14:27] | – You okay? – Yeah. | -你没事吧 -没事 |
[14:32] | Fuck! | 操 |
[14:34] | Jesus Christ! What the fuck’s the matter with you? | 天呐 你有什么毛病 |
[14:37] | What were you doing, 80, 100?! | 你刚才时速是多少 130 160 |
[14:39] | – You turned without looking! – You were speeding! | -你转弯没看路 -你超速了 |
[14:41] | – Doesn’t matter! I had the right of way! – Doesn’t matter? | -这有什么关系 我有先行权 -没关系 |
[14:43] | – That’s the law, buddy. – The law?! | -这是法律 兄弟 -法律 |
[14:45] | – No. Here’s the fucking law, pal! – You can’t do that. | -这他妈的才是法律 哥们 -你不能这么做 |
[14:48] | I’m gonna call the police! | 我要报警了 |
[14:50] | Stay away from me, man! | 离我远点 |
[14:54] | Unbelievable! | 不可理喻 |
[14:56] | You fucking moron. | 该死的蠢货 |
[15:02] | You sure you’re all right? | 你确定你没事吗 |
[15:19] | No, I get it. You got a lot going on. It’s a lot of pressure. | 不 我懂的 你事情很多 压力很大 |
[15:24] | I completely understand. | 我完全理解 |
[15:27] | Let me talk to Bill and I’ll call you back. | 我问问比尔再打给你 |
[15:39] | Is that for me? | 这是给我的吗 |
[15:41] | Thanks. Debbie says hi. | 谢谢 黛比向你问好 |
[15:46] | It’s fine. As soon as class is over, she’ll come down. | 没事的 上完课她就会过来 |
[15:50] | She says she’d rather us get a room | 她说我们最好订间房 |
[15:52] | so she can pick us up in the morning. | 这样她就能早上来接我们了 |
[15:57] | Honestly, I’m a little ticked off. | 我有点生气 |
[15:58] | I get Debbie doesn’t want to do all that driving, | 我理解黛比不想开那么久的车 |
[16:00] | but we have a situation here. I’m asking her for help. | 但我们这里出了状况 我在向她求助 |
[16:04] | Okay, she’s got midterms and that’s on her mind, but… | 她有期中考试 这是她的重心 但是 |
[16:10] | Why am I so upset? | 我为什么这么不爽 |
[16:13] | Maybe ’cause she can’t drop everything when you call. | 或许是因为她不能在你求助的时候放下一切 |
[16:18] | Because she doesn’t want to. | 因为她不想 |
[16:23] | Here you go. | 你们的菜 |
[16:27] | – One more, please. – Yes, sir. | -再来一杯 谢谢 -好的 |
[16:30] | You want to call Nancy? | 你想给南茜打电话吗 |
[16:45] | Are you okay? | 你还好吗 |
[16:49] | Or we could just eat. | 或者我们就专心吃饭好了 |
[16:56] | I didn’t see it coming, Holden. | 我没有看到那辆车 霍顿 |
[16:58] | You could’ve been killed, and I didn’t see it coming. | 你差点死掉 而我没有看到那辆车 |
[17:07] | It’s one thing if it’s the job. | 如果是因为工作 那是一回事 |
[17:09] | But some fucking Pinto comes shooting out of nowhere… | 但一辆福特野马突然不知从哪冒出来 |
[17:13] | I think if I called Nancy, | 如果我给南茜打电话 |
[17:15] | if I heard her voice, | 如果我听到她的声音 |
[17:18] | I’d just lose it. | 我可能会崩溃的 |
[17:25] | You know, we adopted a boy… | 我们领养了一个男孩 |
[17:28] | three years ago. | 三年前 |
[17:30] | He’s six now. | 现在六岁了 |
[17:34] | Nancy always wanted a family. | 南茜一直想有个家庭 |
[17:37] | And I guess I did, too. | 我想我也是 |
[17:41] | But we can’t have kids of our own, so… | 但我们自己无法生育小孩 所以… |
[17:45] | It’s not going well. | 情况不太好 |
[17:48] | He’s a beautiful boy. | 他长得很好看 |
[17:52] | At first, I thought he was just quiet, you know, a quiet baby, | 一开始我以为他只是个安静的小孩 |
[17:56] | nothing wrong with that. | 没什么问题 |
[17:59] | He can speak, | 他会说话 |
[18:02] | he just won’t. | 但他不肯说 |
[18:06] | I feel like we’re failing him somehow. | 我感觉我们让他失望了 |
[18:11] | I’m sure you’re not. | 没有的事 |
[18:13] | Maybe he was like this before. | 或许他以前就是这样 |
[18:16] | But it’s a real strain. | 可这真的很让人操心 |
[18:20] | It’s supposed to be this great thing, having a son. | 本来该是件好事的 拥有一个儿子 |
[18:23] | God, Bill. | 天啊 比尔 |
[18:25] | I’m sorry to hear that. | 我很遗憾 |
[18:27] | When the car was spinning out, I just… | 车子甩出去的时候 我… |
[18:33] | You have no idea what I’m trying to say, do you? | 你不知道我想说什么 对吧 |
[18:36] | Not exactly… | 不确定 |
[18:40] | but I want to. | 但我想知道 |
[18:41] | I don’t know either. | 我也不知道 |
[18:43] | It’s nothing, it’s fine. | 没什么 没事 |
[18:45] | Seriously, Bill… | 真的 比尔 |
[18:47] | Call Debbie. | 给黛比打电话 |
[18:49] | Tell her she can come get us in the morning. | 跟她说她可以明早来接我们 |
[19:07] | Come on, kid. | 得了吧 小子 |
[19:08] | You don’t expect us to buy your mercy horseshit. | 你不会以为我们真信你有怜悯之心这种鬼话吧 |
[19:10] | I think what Agent Tench means is… | 我想坦奇探员的意思是… |
[19:13] | I think I’ve had enough science for one day. | 我今天不想再陪你们做行为科学研究了 |
[19:28] | – Well, should we hear it again? – Eventually, yeah. | -要再听一遍吗 -最终会听的 |
[19:33] | Okay. So there are two triggers, | 所以对里塞尔来说 |
[19:36] | one right after the other, for Rissell. | 有两个触发点 一个紧接着另一个 |
[19:38] | Maybe trigger is the wrong word. Too facile. | 或许说触发点不太恰当 太轻率了 |
[19:40] | Also, in law enforcement, has more than one meaning. | 此外 在执法界 它有多个意思 |
[19:42] | What about stresses? Stressors. | 压力呢 压力源 |
[19:45] | Let’s make that our term of art. | 把这个用做我们的专门术语 |
[19:47] | Stress is more internal anyway. | 反正压力也更侧重内在 |
[19:48] | It’s more appropriate to our focus. | 更符合我们的重心 |
[19:50] | So, two stressors set Rissell off? | 所以两个压力源激怒了里塞尔 |
[19:52] | Her letter, obviously. | 她的信 显而易见 |
[19:53] | So, the girlfriend writes him a Dear John letter and he… | 女友给他写了一封分手信 然后他… |
[19:56] | Rissell cracks. | 里塞尔就崩溃了 |
[19:57] | But he doesn’t call her or write back. | 但他没有给她打电话或者回信 |
[19:59] | No, he goes down there. | 是的 他直接去找她 |
[20:00] | – Stalks her like a hunter. – Not like a hunter. | -他像猎人一样跟踪她 -不是猎人 |
[20:02] | He doesn’t kill the girlfriend, | 他没杀女友 |
[20:04] | he only watches her with her new beau. | 他只观察她和她的新相好 |
[20:07] | – Big difference. – “Beau”? | -区别很大 -“相好” |
[20:08] | So what if Rissell doesn’t mean to kill anyone at this point? | 如果这个时候里塞尔还不想杀人呢 |
[20:11] | He’s still on track for rape, | 他还只是想要强奸 |
[20:12] | but it’s this first victim’s compliance | 但是是这个首位受害者的顺从 |
[20:15] | that just kind of pushes him over the edge. | 让他最终痛下杀手 |
[20:16] | He kills the first one because she likes it or pretends to? | 他杀死了第一个 是因为她喜欢或假装喜欢吗 |
[20:19] | It’s dominoes. | 就像多米诺骨牌 |
[20:21] | Her compliance makes him angry. | 她的顺从让他愤怒 |
[20:22] | He throws her out of the car, she tries to escape. | 他把她扔出车 她试图逃跑 |
[20:24] | Where is it? He says, “The whole thing is just fucking chaos.” | 在哪来着 他说”整个过程就是一团乱” |
[20:27] | – He needed to reassert control. – Exactly. | -他需要重申控制权 -没错 |
[20:31] | Which means that the victim’s behavior is also a stressor. | 也就是说受害者的行为也是一个压力源 |
[20:34] | I mean, it may be that they can’t change the ultimate outcome, | 或许不能改变最终的结果 |
[20:37] | but they can affect when and how it happens. | 但可以影响事情发生的时间和过程 |
[20:39] | Exactly what I was thinking, which is why I asked the question. | 我之前就这么想的 所以我才问了那问题 |
[20:42] | But… | 不过 |
[20:43] | But what? | 不过什么 |
[20:45] | Isn’t that just life? | 生活不就是如此吗 |
[20:47] | Your girlfriend dumps you? | 女友甩了你 |
[20:48] | You’re trying to be intimate with someone, and it goes wrong? | 你试图和别人亲热 然后就出岔子 |
[20:50] | Obviously, not that wrong, | 当然 一般岔子没那么大 |
[20:52] | but it seems like Rissell just couldn’t hack life. | 但似乎里塞尔只是无法应付生活 |
[20:54] | Well, what else is a criminal | 但罪犯不都是 |
[20:55] | except somebody who can’t function in society? | 无法适应社会的吗 |
[20:57] | If we want to be reductive, | 如果我们用简化论的话 |
[20:59] | we can say these men can’t handle normal stages of development… | 我们可以说这些人不能应付发展的正常阶段 |
[21:01] | Why do I get the sense “reductive” is your worst insult? | 为什么我觉得”简化论”是你最狠的侮辱 |
[21:04] | Not at all. I meant to say you were right. | 没有没有 我意思是说你是对的 |
[21:08] | How would most men feel if they were being intimate with a woman | 一个男人如果和一个女人发生亲密关系时 |
[21:11] | and they sensed that she wasn’t enjoying herself? | 觉得她并不享受其中 会是什么感受 |
[21:18] | Come on, be scientists. | 说啊 拿出科学家的一面 |
[21:20] | Disappointed. | 失望 |
[21:22] | – It would feel awful. – Right. | -会感觉很糟 -对 |
[21:25] | You always want her to have a good time. | 你希望她能开心 |
[21:26] | But when Rissell sensed that his victim was enjoying herself, | 但是当里塞尔感觉到他的受害者享受其中 |
[21:29] | it turned him into a murderer. | 他却起了杀心 |
[21:31] | So, yes, what happens to these men is normal, | 所以 是的 这些男人的遭遇很正常 |
[21:34] | but the way that they process it is not. | 但他们处理的方式不正常 |
[21:36] | That’s our goal, to dig into the why, | 我们的目标就是挖掘原因 |
[21:37] | like you did with Kemper. | 就像你之前对坎伯那样 |
[21:39] | We’re headed to Altoona for Road School. | 我们要去阿尔图纳巡回教学 |
[21:41] | We’ll try and see Rissell again | 我们回来后再去看里塞尔 |
[21:42] | when we get back, if he’ll see us. | 如果他愿意和我们见面的话 |
[21:44] | You know that this is gonna take twice as long | 你知道 如果你们不能专职做约谈 |
[21:45] | if you can’t do the interviews full-time. | 这将花费两倍的时间 |
[21:48] | What is it? A question of money, of institutional rigidity, | 到底是为什么 钱 制度僵化 |
[21:51] | scheduling, what? | 还是行程安排 |
[21:52] | All of the above. | 以上都有 |
[21:53] | You know, I’ve been in academia all my life, | 我一辈子都在搞学术 |
[21:55] | let me see what I can do. | 我来想想办法 |
[22:09] | Honey, I gotta go. | 亲爱的 我得走了 |
[22:15] | Brian. | 布莱恩 |
[22:17] | Come on. Give your father a hug. | 来 去给爸爸抱一个 |
[22:20] | Say goodbye. | 说拜拜 |
[22:35] | See you soon, son. | 再见 儿子 |
[23:00] | Ready? | 准备好了吗 |
[23:01] | Yep. | 嗯 |
[23:06] | All yours. | 都是你的了 |
[23:13] | Ain’t easy to get on the East Coast. | 在东岸不好找这个 |
[23:14] | No, it’s not. | 是的 |
[23:16] | So you’re not from the East Coast, originally? | 所以你本身不是来自东岸 |
[23:23] | What? | 什么 |
[23:25] | I’m sorry, I missed that. I’m a little deaf. | 不好意思 我没听到 我有点聋 |
[23:28] | I was just asking if you consider yourself an East Coaster? | 我刚问你你把不把自己当做东岸的人 |
[23:31] | You don’t have that in your file? | 你资料里没有吗 |
[23:34] | You were born in Wellington, South Kansas. | 你出生在南堪萨斯州 惠灵顿 |
[23:37] | You’re the youngest of three, | 你是三个子女中最小的一个 |
[23:38] | and your parents divorced when you were seven. | 你七岁的时候父母离婚 |
[23:40] | That’s all in the file, just not what you have to say about it. | 这些资料里都有 但是没有你对此的看法 |
[23:43] | Yeah, my mom blamed that on me. No idea why. | 我妈怪我害他们离婚 不知道为什么 |
[23:47] | My brother and sister were around, | 我哥哥姐姐都在 |
[23:48] | but it was always on me when things went bad. | 但每次出事背锅的总是我 |
[23:51] | Pretty soon after, Mom up and married Hank. | 没过多久 我妈就嫁给了汉克 |
[23:55] | – Dragged us out to Sacramento. – You wanted to stay in Kansas? | -带我们去了萨克拉门托 -你想留在堪萨斯 |
[23:58] | Be with my real father? You bet. | 和我生父在一起 当然了 |
[24:01] | I did not want to be in California, that’s for sure. | 我不想去加州 毫无疑问 |
[24:05] | Nobody wanted me there, either. | 那里也没人想要我 |
[24:07] | Did your mother say she didn’t want you there? | 你妈有说她不想你过去吗 |
[24:16] | Why you always want to do that after? | 为什么人喝完后总想这么做 |
[24:19] | Crush the can. | 捏扁易拉罐 |
[24:21] | It feels good. | 感觉很爽 |
[24:23] | Yeah, maybe. | 或许吧 |
[24:24] | What made you think nobody wanted you in California? | 你为什么觉得加州没人欢迎你 |
[24:26] | Mom wanted to be with Hank. | 我妈想和汉克在一起 |
[24:28] | And Hank didn’t want to raise somebody else’s kids, | 而汉克不想养别人的孩子 |
[24:30] | so he bought us shit. | 所以他给我们买各种东西 |
[24:33] | Thought that’d be enough. | 以为那就够了 |
[24:36] | When I was seven, he bought me a gun. | 我七岁的时候 他给我买了把枪 |
[24:39] | – He bought you a gun? – BB gun. | -他给你买了把枪 -玩具枪 |
[24:43] | My brother and sister were drinking, smoking a lot of weed, | 我哥哥姐姐酗酒 抽很多大麻 |
[24:46] | doing all kinds of shit. | 做各种各样的坏事 |
[24:49] | Sometimes they’d share. | 有时他们会和我分享 |
[24:52] | When I was nine, I shot my cousin in the ass with that gun. | 我9岁时 用那把枪打了我表弟的屁股 |
[24:55] | That made me star of the show. | 那让我成了主角 |
[24:56] | I mean, everybody fucking hated my cousin. | 所有人都讨厌我的表弟 |
[24:59] | So you kids were left all alone. | 所以你们几个孩子没人管 |
[25:01] | Hank broke the fucking thing over my head. | 汉克用枪砸我的头 把枪都打坏了 |
[25:04] | – He beat you? – Yeah. | -他打了你 -是的 |
[25:06] | It’s how I burst my eardrum. | 耳膜就是这么坏掉的 |
[25:11] | I got into all kinds of shit, man. | 我开始干各种坏事 |
[25:14] | Broke into some lady’s house, stole a hundred bucks. | 闯进某个女人的家 偷了100块钱 |
[25:18] | Mom and Hank divorced when I was 12, that was kind of my doing. | 12岁时我妈和汉克离婚 那算是我的杰作 |
[25:22] | Fourteen, things got a little worse. | 14岁时 情况变得更糟 |
[25:25] | Burglary, larceny, car theft, rape twice. | 抢劫 盗窃 偷车 两次强奸 |
[25:29] | My mom somehow got them to send me to Florida. | 我妈设法让他们把我送到了佛罗里达州 |
[25:32] | Thanks, Ma! | 多谢了 妈 |
[25:36] | I get back. I’m 17, living on my own, | 我17岁时回来了 自己过日子 |
[25:39] | working double shifts at Pizza Hut. | 在必胜客上两班轮班 |
[25:43] | Nobody wanted me, man. | 没人想要我 |
[25:47] | Nobody on this earth ever wanted me. | 这世界上从没有人想要过我 |
[25:51] | Put that on your fucking tape. | 把这句录下来 |
[25:55] | If only they’d let me stay with my dad… | 要是他们当初让我和我爸住一起 |
[25:58] | it’d all be different. | 一切都会不同 |
[26:01] | I might even be a lawyer. | 我甚至有可能成为律师 |
[26:03] | – So your dad wanted you? – Have a nice car. | -所以你爸想要你 -有辆好车 |
[26:07] | House. | 有房子 |
[26:08] | Be out in the backyard perfecting my recipe for barbecue. | 在后院完善我的烧烤秘方 |
[26:15] | I’d have found my way. | 我会找到我的出路 |
[26:33] | So Rissell’s the real victim here? | 所以里塞尔才是受害者吗 |
[26:36] | That’s how he sees it, sure. | 他确实是这么认为的 |
[26:38] | A pathological liar who | 一个谎话连篇的变态杀手 |
[26:40] | murdered five women sees himself as the victim. | 杀了五位女性 却觉得自己是受害者 |
[26:44] | And we’re giving him a shoulder to cry on. | 我们竟然还给他一个哭泣的肩膀 |
[26:46] | We’re not giving him a shoulder to cry on. | 我们没给他哭泣的肩膀 |
[26:49] | We’re not flattering him. Or helping him. | 我们不是在赞赏他 也没有帮他 |
[26:53] | We’re using him. | 只是在利用他 |
[27:02] | Yeah, okay. | 好吧 |
[27:05] | Motive, means, opportunity. | 动机 手段 机会 |
[27:09] | The three pillars of criminal investigation: what, why, who. | 犯罪调查的三大支柱 内容 原因 人物 |
[27:13] | What happened… | 现场发生了什么… |
[27:14] | When I’m involved in a hostage negotiation, | 遇到人质挟持事件时 |
[27:16] | the perpetrator is standing right in front of me. | 歹徒就站在我面前 |
[27:31] | – Not a bad group tonight. – Yeah. | -今晚的人还不错 -是啊 |
[27:36] | We got one? | 又有一个吗 |
[27:40] | Look at him just standing there, watching us. | 你看他站在那里 盯着我们看 |
[27:42] | He’s just having a cigarette before he heads home. | 他只是准备抽支烟就回家 |
[27:49] | See how he’s deliberately trying not to look at us? | 你看出他在刻意不看我们吗 |
[27:51] | He’s screwing up the nerve to approach. | 他正鼓足勇气准备过来 |
[27:53] | I put the over-under at half a minute. | 我们赌他会不会在半分钟内过来 |
[27:55] | I’ll definitely take under. | 我觉得肯定不用半分钟 |
[27:57] | – That’s a bet. – Loser buys dinner. | -那就打赌 -输的人晚饭请客 |
[28:02] | Look out, he’s on the move. | 小心 他要来了 |
[28:11] | You guys mind if I bother you a minute? | 介意我占用你们一点时间吗 |
[28:13] | Sure. What’s up? | 不介意 什么事 |
[28:15] | Beverly Jean Shaw, 22. | 贝芙莉·简·肖 22岁 |
[28:19] | Never came home from her babysitting job. | 给人当完保姆就没回家 |
[28:20] | Four days later, we find her in the dump on Wopsononock Mountain. | 四天后 我们在沃普森诺克山垃圾场发现了她 |
[28:25] | Um, based on stomach contents, | 基于她的胃部残留物 |
[28:27] | we think she was killed right away, | 我们认为她大概是在周三凌晨 |
[28:29] | around midnight Wednesday. | 被人杀害的 |
[28:32] | She was sitting like this at the dump for four days? | 她的尸体就这样在山里的垃圾场放了四天吗 |
[28:34] | Well, no, um… | 没有 |
[28:38] | See, there wasn’t enough, um… | 可以看出她身上没有足够多的… |
[28:41] | If she had been at the dump four days… | 如果在垃圾场这样待四天… |
[28:43] | We’d see more insect infestation and animal trauma of course. | 尸体上会有更多被动物和昆虫咬过的痕迹 |
[28:46] | So, between when she was murdered on Wednesday | 所以她在周三被杀害 |
[28:48] | and the body was discovered four days later, | 四天后尸体被发现 |
[28:50] | she had to be someplace else? | 这之间肯定还发生过什么 |
[28:54] | Her breasts. | 她的胸部 |
[28:56] | They were, I guess you’d say… amputated. | 它们被人… 切除了 |
[29:00] | Um, we have not been able to locate them. | 我们还没有找到 |
[29:03] | Was this postmortem or… | 是在她死后还是… |
[29:04] | Coroner said she was already dead. Yes, sir. | 法医说她当时已经死亡 是的 |
[29:07] | He blacked both her eyes, | 她被打伤了双眼 |
[29:09] | broke her jaw, multiple stab wounds. | 下巴碎裂 还有多处刺伤 |
[29:12] | You can see he kind of frogged her legs out there. | 可以看到凶手还割伤了她的腿 |
[29:18] | And there was, um… | 而且在尸体上… |
[29:31] | Sorry. | 抱歉 |
[29:34] | We don’t get this kind of thing. | 我们很少遇到这样的案件 |
[29:35] | – It’s hard to… – Take your time. | -所以很难… -不着急 |
[29:42] | There was an incision. From her… | 尸体上有一道切口 从她的… |
[29:46] | From her vagina to her, um… anus. | 从她的阴道到…肛门 |
[29:52] | – God damn it. I’m sorry. – You’re doing fine. | -妈的 抱歉 -你表现得很好 |
[29:56] | The family local? Uh… | 她的家人在本地吗 |
[29:58] | Parents upstate. Fiancé in town. | 家人在州北 未婚夫在本地 |
[30:02] | You don’t think somebody local did this? | 你们不会觉得是本地人干的吧 |
[30:04] | Hard to say at this point. | 现在还很难说 |
[30:06] | I go to church with these people. | 我可是跟他们一起去教堂的 |
[30:08] | We get peeping Toms, sure. But something like this? | 偶尔会有偷窥狂 但做出这种事 |
[30:11] | It doesn’t make sense. | 根本说不通 |
[30:12] | To go from shoplifters and underage kids buying beer to… | 从偷东西 未成年买酒的普通案子升级到… |
[30:19] | what happened to Beverly… has to be an outsider. | 贝芙莉遇到的事… 肯定是外地人干的 |
[30:22] | Draped over the ironing board here, is that human hair? | 这块烫衣板上缠着的 是头发吗 |
[30:26] | Yes, sir. | 是的 |
[30:27] | You have it? | 在你们手里吗 |
[30:30] | Sure. | 当然 |
[30:31] | Yeah, Forensics bagged it up. | 鉴证科装起来了 |
[30:34] | It’s all about Forensics. I am starting to appreciate that. | 现在都靠鉴证科 我开始正视他们了 |
[30:36] | And the ironing board, you take that as well? | 烫衣板你们也带走了吗 |
[30:38] | Uh, I mean, we dusted it | 我们查了表面 |
[30:40] | for fingerprints and everything, but, uh… | 看有没有指纹之类的 但是… |
[30:43] | But you do think the unsub scalped | 但你们认为是犯罪嫌疑人 |
[30:45] | Beverly and then draped it over the ironing board? | 拔下了贝芙莉的头发并缠在了烫衣板上吗 |
[30:49] | Does that mean something? | 这代表着什么吗 |
[30:51] | Everything in this photo has meaning. | 这张照片里的一切都有意义 |
[30:53] | If the unsub meant to display the hair, that means he’s saying something. | 如果疑犯是故意把头发摆出来 肯定有含义 |
[30:55] | He could’ve put the hair anywhere. | 不然他可以把头发放在任何地方 |
[30:56] | Right, no, I get it now. Uh… | 好的 我明白了 |
[30:59] | Soon as Forensics confirms it’s Beverly’s hair… | 只要鉴证科证实是贝芙莉的头发 |
[31:01] | I’m sorry, what? | 抱歉 你说什么 |
[31:02] | Well, we shouldn’t jump ahead of Forensics, am I right? | 我们不能跳过鉴证科下判断吧 |
[31:05] | I think, in this case, | 我认为 这个案子里 |
[31:07] | we have a dead body missing a chunk of hair, | 尸体缺失了许多头发 |
[31:08] | a big chunk of hair nearby, | 旁边刚好有一堆头发 |
[31:10] | so we can go out on a limb and assume… | 难道不能直接断定… |
[31:11] | I think what Agent Ford is trying to say, in his own way, | 福特探员想说的是 |
[31:14] | is we’re behind the eight ball here, | 我们形势不利 |
[31:16] | we’ve come late to the party. | 我们来晚了 |
[31:17] | We’re gonna have to go over ground you’ve covered: | 我们得重新去走一遍你们的流程 |
[31:19] | witnesses, crime scene. | 走访证人 查看现场 |
[31:21] | We don’t mean that as a challenge to you. | 我们不是要挑战你们的权威 |
[31:23] | It’s not any kind of a criticism. | 也完全不是想批评你们 |
[31:24] | We’re just trying to catch up. Am I right, Agent Ford? | 我们只是想赶上进度 对吗 福特探员 |
[31:30] | Absolutely. | 是的 |
[31:32] | We may ask some obvious questions | 我们可能会问一些常规问题 |
[31:33] | and maybe a few you haven’t thought of. | 也可能会问一些你们没想到的 |
[31:35] | But it’s not a contest or a competition. | 但这不是想跟你们比赛或竞争 |
[31:37] | We’re all on the same side. | 我们是同一战线的 |
[31:40] | – Okay? – Sure. | -可以吗 -好 |
[31:41] | Let’s go through the rest. | 来看下其他资料吧 |
[31:43] | I’m curious why you’re cutting this guy so much slack. | 我很好奇你为什么对他那么宽容 |
[31:46] | He’s never seen this kind of thing before. | 他没见过这种案子 |
[31:48] | He’s rattled. It’s not his fault. | 所以有点慌 这不怪他 |
[31:51] | Without a doubt you have more experience, | 毫无疑问 你的经验更丰富 |
[31:54] | but why rub it in his face? | 但何必说出来打他脸呢 |
[31:56] | I’m not trying to make you feel bad. | 我不是故意给你添堵 |
[31:59] | Maybe a little. | 也许有一点 |
[32:00] | The point is, local cops want | 重点是 当地警方 |
[32:01] | to catch their guy as much as we do, maybe more. | 也跟我们一样想抓住他 甚至更想 |
[32:04] | For them, it’s not just theoretical, it’s where they live. | 对他们来说这不仅是纸上谈兵 这里是他们的家 |
[32:16] | This is where your focus should be. | 这才是你们应该关注的重点 |
[32:19] | Not on the crime scene, not on the corpse, not on the schematics. | 不是现场 不是尸体 不是犯罪图解 |
[32:25] | Focus on Beverly. | 而是贝芙莉 |
[32:26] | What did the killer see in her? | 杀手为什么选她 |
[32:29] | We’ve learned that this is a crucial detail, | 我们认识到这是其中一个 |
[32:30] | and not the only one. | 至关重要的细节 |
[32:31] | Based on the facts Detective Ocasek laid out earlier, | 基于奥卡塞克警官之前给出的信息 |
[32:34] | our methodology tells us we’re looking for a white male. | 我们推断凶手是一名白人男性 |
[32:36] | These crimes rarely cross racial lines. | 这种罪行很少会跨种族 |
[32:38] | He’s probably around Beverly’s age. | 他很可能和贝芙莉年龄相近 |
[32:41] | A killer will usually choose someone smaller and weaker than himself. | 杀手通常会选择比自己弱小的对象 |
[32:43] | He’s a loner, hunts at night. | 他是独行者 喜欢在夜间狩猎 |
[32:46] | I’m sorry, “Hunts”? Is that a figure of speech? | 抱歉 “狩猎” 这是比喻说法吗 |
[32:50] | It is not. | 不是 |
[32:51] | Coroner’s report said Beverly was killed and then butchered. | 法医报告显示贝芙莉被杀后又被肢解 |
[32:55] | Isn’t that what hunters do? | 那不正是猎人的行为吗 |
[32:56] | We’re probably looking for a loner. | 凶手很可能是独行者 |
[33:00] | These men like to explore the fantasy first, | 这种人喜欢先探索自己的幻想 |
[33:02] | bondage pornography, hardcore material. | 性虐色情片 重口味的东西 |
[33:04] | It gives them a certain… attitude towards women. | 这让他们对女性有着某种…态度 |
[33:07] | Hence, a loner. | 因此推断是独行者 |
[33:09] | Close-knit community like this, you would’ve spotted that by now. | 要不然在这个如此紧密的社区 你们早该发现了 |
[33:12] | I think our man is an outsider, probably a drifter. | 凶手可能是外来人 很可能居无定所 |
[33:14] | Most likely, he’ll move on from here and kill again. | 他极有可能会离开这里继续作案 |
[33:17] | Again? | 继续作案 |
[33:36] | The killer thought of | 对于杀手来说 |
[33:38] | Beverly Jean as just another piece of trash. | 贝芙莉·简只是一件垃圾 |
[33:41] | Folks loved Beverly Jean. Trusted her with their kids. | 大家都很喜欢她 放心把孩子交给她 |
[33:46] | Had to be a drifter, like you say. | 就像你说的 凶手肯定是外地人 |
[33:48] | Some stranger passing through town. | 一个路过此地的陌生人 |
[33:51] | All that pretty hair caught his eye. | 她的秀发吸引了他的目光 |
[33:52] | He needed to possess it, then destroy it. | 他想要拥有它 然后毁了它 |
[33:57] | You talk to the fiancé? | 跟未婚夫聊过了吗 |
[33:58] | There’s only so much you can get out of a man in that state. | 经历了这样的事 他能提供的信息实在不多 |
[34:02] | Benjamin was still in shock. Gotta take all that into account. | 本杰明受了很重的打击 得考虑这一点 |
[34:05] | Well, I’m sure you know your people, | 你肯定很了解这里的人 |
[34:07] | but let’s just cover our bases. | 不过该问的还是要问 |
[34:09] | And let’s try to get him cold. Make some excuse when you call. | 出其不意吧 打电话的时候找个借口 |
[34:13] | Don’t mention the FBI, or even the murder. | 别提联调局 别提杀人的事 |
[34:15] | Help us get an unguarded response. | 这样能听到最真实的回复 |
[34:18] | Soon as Benjamin gets back into town. | 本杰明一回来我就问 |
[34:19] | – Back into town? – You let the fiancé leave? | -回来 -你让他离开了吗 |
[34:22] | He went up north for a bit to be with his relatives. | 他去北边找亲戚了 |
[34:25] | You need to be with family at times like this. | 这种时候需要跟家人待在一起 |
[34:27] | He’ll be back soon. I’ll vouch for that. | 他很快回来 我保证 |
[34:33] | He’ll be back. | 他会回来的 |
[34:47] | Where was the body found? | 尸体是在哪里发现的 |
[34:49] | Up here to the left. | 就在上面靠左的位置 |
[34:58] | Here’s the ironing board. | 烫衣板在这儿 |
[35:01] | Right. I’ll have a couple | 对 我会派人来 |
[35:03] | of the boys come pick it up. Sorry about that. | 把它取走 抱歉 |
[35:05] | No apology necessary. We’re all learning as we go. | 不必道歉 我们都在不断学习 |
[35:12] | You can see why I went easy on the fiancé. | 你们能理解我为何轻易放过未婚夫了吧 |
[35:16] | Ugly end for someone you just proposed to. | 刚求完婚的对象落得这个下场 |
[35:18] | How long were they engaged? | 他们订婚订了多久 |
[35:20] | Couple months, I think. | 几个月吧 |
[35:23] | Could be he felt trapped. | 也许他觉得被困住了 |
[35:24] | By a pretty, young blonde? | 被一位年轻美貌的金发女子吗 |
[35:26] | Remember what Wendy said? | 记得温迪说过什么吗 |
[35:29] | A colleague of ours, a psychologist. | 温迪是我们的同事 一位心理学家 |
[35:31] | Events we process as good news | 我们认为的好消息 |
[35:32] | sometimes hit these killers the wrong way. | 也许在杀手们看来不尽然 |
[35:36] | That’s interesting. | 很有意思 |
[35:37] | Who found the body? | 尸体是谁发现的 |
[35:39] | A welder, Alvin Moran, out taking his dog for a hike. | 一位焊工 埃尔文·莫兰 当时带着狗去远足 |
[35:42] | – At the dump? – He have an alibi? | -去垃圾场吗 -他有不在场证明吗 |
[35:45] | Alibi? He came to us. Why’s he need an alibi? | 什么 就是他报的案 他还需要不在场证明吗 |
[35:48] | Sometimes the killer will | 有时候凶手 |
[35:49] | insinuate himself into the investigation. | 会故意参与调查过程 |
[35:51] | Even report his own crime? | 甚至会自己报案吗 |
[35:53] | Can we talk to him? | 我们能跟他聊聊吗 |
[35:56] | Yeah. | 可以 |
[36:10] | Excuse me! | 打扰了 |
[36:13] | Mr. Moran? | 莫兰先生 |
[36:17] | Mr. Moran? | 莫兰先生 |
[36:25] | You remember me, Mr. Moran? | 记得我吗 莫兰先生 |
[36:27] | These men from the FBI would like to talk to you. That all right? | 联调局的人想找你聊聊 可以吗 |
[36:30] | Great. | 很好 |
[36:32] | We’re told you found Beverly Jean’s body. | 听说是你发现了贝芙莉·简的尸体 |
[36:35] | How’d you happen to find yourself at the dump? | 你怎么会去垃圾场附近 |
[36:37] | Hiking. Wopsononock Mountain. | 远足 去沃普森诺克山 |
[36:41] | Like to take the trail, clear my head. | 我喜欢去山上走走 散散心 |
[36:43] | – Get a break from the wife and kids? – That’s right. | -躲开老婆孩子吗 -没错 |
[36:45] | Get up there a few times a week. Take the dog for a walk. | 我一周会去几次 遛遛狗 |
[36:48] | Still not clear how that puts you at the dump. | 还是没说你为什么会在垃圾场附近 |
[36:50] | – The path comes in pretty close. – Does it? | -那里离山路很近 -是吗 |
[36:53] | You see any sign of a hiking trail out by the dump, Bill? | 你在垃圾场附近看到登山径了吗 比尔 |
[36:57] | The other side of the railroad tracks, up the hill. | 是山上铁轨的另一边 |
[36:59] | Looks like a bunch of trees from where you’re standing. | 也许从你们那边看去只是一片树林 |
[37:02] | But if there’s no clear view from the dump to the trail… | 但如果从垃圾堆不能清楚看到小路… |
[37:05] | Are you really FBI? | 你真是联调局的吗 |
[37:07] | Am I under suspicion here? | 我成嫌犯了吗 |
[37:13] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[37:15] | So I come off the trail to take a piss, no law against it. | 我走下小路去撒尿 这不犯法吧 |
[37:19] | There may be, actually, but let’s leave that for now. | 可能还真犯法 不过现在先不管 |
[37:22] | You go to take a piss, you see Beverly Jean’s body… | 你去小便 看到了贝芙莉·简的尸体 |
[37:25] | I thought it was a store mannequin or something. | 我以为是商店用的人体模特呢 |
[37:27] | Wouldn’t your dog have gone straight for it? | 你的狗不应该先发现尸体吗 |
[37:29] | – Might have, but that’s not what happened. – What kind of dog? | -应该 不过当时不是这样 -什么狗 |
[37:32] | – Retriever. – And he didn’t sniff it out first? | -寻回犬 -它却没先嗅到尸体 |
[37:35] | That seems odd. | 真奇怪 |
[37:37] | – He’s an old dog. – Not too old for a hike. | -它是条老狗了 -那还能远足 |
[37:41] | I took care of my business, | 我小便完 |
[37:42] | I collected my dog, and I went to the police. | 叫回我的狗 就去找了警察 |
[37:45] | Right away? Few hours later? Next day? | 马上 几小时后 还是隔天 |
[37:47] | Couple hours later. Maybe that night. | 几小时后 可能是当晚 |
[37:50] | It was actually morning when you came in, sir. | 你来的时候其实是早上 先生 |
[37:54] | Why’d you wait so long to report the body, Mr. Moran? | 你为什么等这么久才上报 莫兰先生 |
[37:58] | You’re talking to the FBI, Mr. Moran. | 你在跟联调局说话 莫兰先生 |
[38:00] | If we want to find something out, we will find it out. | 如果我们想查清楚 我们会的 |
[38:06] | I was scared the cops might want me for it, okay? | 我害怕警察会抓我 行了吧 |
[38:09] | My wife talked me out of that. I did my duty as a citizen. | 我妻子劝服了我 我完成了公民的义务 |
[38:12] | You thought they’d want you for a murder? | 你觉得他们会把你当成凶手 |
[38:14] | I seen cops get desperate, grab whoever they can get. | 我见过警察气急败坏 最后乱抓人 |
[38:17] | But why you? | 但为什么抓你 |
[38:19] | I got a bit of a record, all right? | 我有些案底 |
[38:22] | It ain’t much. I lit up a few | 没多少 就是小时候 |
[38:23] | fires when I was a kid, got into a few fights. | 点了几把火 打了几次架 |
[38:26] | I ain’t proud of it. | 我并不觉得光彩 |
[38:28] | Came here, met my wife. | 来到这儿 遇见了我老婆 |
[38:30] | – Family man now. – Before that, did you move around a lot? | -现在成家了 -在这之前 你经常搬家吗 |
[38:36] | Not a good way to live. I feel settled now. | 不怎么舒坦 我现在觉得安定了 |
[38:41] | Is that your statement, Mr. Moran? | 这就是你的口供吗 莫兰先生 |
[38:47] | I come into town, grab a beer now and then. | 我来到镇上 偶尔喝点啤酒 |
[38:53] | I seen Beverly Jean a few times. | 见过贝芙莉·简几次 |
[38:55] | You saw Beverly Jean at a bar? | 你在酒吧见过贝芙莉·简 |
[38:58] | At The Kettle. | 在岩穴酒吧 |
[39:01] | – Finally got up the nerve. – The nerve to do what? | -终于鼓起勇气 -鼓起勇气做什么 |
[39:04] | To buy her a drink. | 给她买杯酒 |
[39:08] | She wasn’t interested, end of story. | 她不感兴趣 就这样 |
[39:13] | Maybe I asked her more than once. | 也许我问了她不止一次 |
[39:14] | More than once that night at the bar, | 在那个酒吧问了不止一次 |
[39:16] | or on more than one occasion? | 还是不止一个场合 |
[39:18] | I guess you’d say on more than one occasion. | 不止一个场合吧 |
[39:24] | He’s too old and too married. | 他太老 而且早就成家了 |
[39:25] | He was a drifter until recently. | 他一直居无定所 最近才安定 |
[39:28] | Beverly Jean rejected him. | 贝芙莉·简拒绝了他 |
[39:29] | He’s got a record. He tried to help the police. | 他有案底 他试图帮助警方 |
[39:32] | And his alibi? Home watching TV with the wife? | 那他的不在场证明呢 在家陪老婆看电视 |
[39:36] | If a man like that took Beverly Jean, | 如果是他那种人杀害了贝芙莉·简 |
[39:38] | he’d draw it out, make her suffer. | 他会做得更绝 让她受苦 |
[39:40] | You saw the photos, he must’ve tortured her for hours. | 你看到照片了 他肯定折磨了她几个小时 |
[39:42] | Those wounds were inflicted posthumously. Can’t forget that. | 那些伤口是死后造成的 别忘了 |
[39:45] | You said that before. What difference does that make? | 你之前也说过 这能说明什么呢 |
[39:48] | When you’re married, it’s a contract. | 一旦结了婚 就是一张契约 |
[39:51] | There’s children, a mortgage, | 有孩子 有贷款 |
[39:53] | a house to keep up, almost like a business. | 有房子要维护 几乎像做生意一样 |
[39:57] | Only you can’t quit. She can’t fire you. | 只不过你不能退出 她不能炒了你 |
[40:00] | Stock goes up, stock goes down… | 股价上涨 股价下跌 |
[40:02] | doesn’t matter, you’re trapped. | 都无所谓 你被套牢了 |
[40:04] | Unless you want to bring on the lawyers and open Pandora’s box. | 除非你想把律师扯进来 打开潘多拉魔盒 |
[40:07] | Resentment builds on both sides. | 那样两方怨恨会不断积累 |
[40:09] | A thousand tiny cuts. | 痛不欲生 |
[40:11] | If Alvin Moran had a married man’s anger, | 如果埃尔文·莫兰有已婚男人那种愤怒 |
[40:14] | he’d have tortured, then killed her. | 他会先折磨她 再杀死她 |
[40:17] | No question in my mind. | 毫无疑问 |
[40:20] | Maybe we should talk to his wife. See if there’s anything there. | 也许我们该跟他妻子谈谈 看有没有发现 |
[40:25] | I mean, she’s the whole alibi. | 毕竟她是唯一的不在场证明 |
[40:28] | Wouldn’t mind checking it holds up. | 查一查也无妨 |
[40:35] | Mrs. Moran, thank you for coming in. | 莫兰女士 谢谢你过来 |
[40:37] | My name is Bill Tench. This is my partner, Holden Ford. | 我是比尔·坦奇 这是我搭档霍顿·福特 |
[40:41] | Hello. | 你好 |
[40:44] | I don’t understand. I can’t call my husband? | 我不明白 我不能打给我丈夫吗 |
[40:46] | Aren’t I supposed to get my phone call? | 我不是有权打电话吗 |
[40:48] | You’re not under arrest, Mrs. Moran. | 你没被捕 莫兰女士 |
[40:50] | These men are from the FBI. | 这两位是联调局的 |
[40:52] | They just want to ask you a couple questions. | 他们只想问你几个问题 |
[40:54] | Have you been following the investigation? | 你关注这案子的调查了吗 |
[40:59] | Can’t look at that. Poor girl. | 不忍心看 可怜的孩子 |
[41:03] | – Wouldn’t hurt a fly. – You knew her? | -连苍蝇都不伤害 -你认识她 |
[41:07] | Can we ask how you knew her? | 能问下你怎么认识她的吗 |
[41:09] | – She was almost our babysitter. – Almost? | -她差点成了我们的保姆 -差点 |
[41:16] | Mrs. Moran? | 莫兰女士 |
[41:19] | We talked with her about it. | 我们和她商量过 |
[41:22] | When she left, Alvin wouldn’t shut up about the girl. | 她走了之后 埃尔文一直念叨着那女孩 |
[41:27] | Meaning? | 什么意思 |
[41:29] | You know what I mean. | 你知道什么意思 |
[41:30] | It’s best if we don’t have to guess, ma’am. | 我们最好不要妄加猜测 女士 |
[41:35] | She was young, and skinny, and… | 她年轻 又苗条 |
[41:40] | “Oh, such pretty blonde hair.” | “那头金发真美” |
[41:44] | Didn’t need that in my house. | 我家可不需要这档子事 |
[41:46] | Not with two little kids in the picture. | 还有两个孩子呢 |
[41:49] | What do I look like? | 瞧我都人老珠黄了 |
[41:51] | Were you aware that your husband made overtures to Beverly | 你知道你丈夫在不同场合数次向贝芙莉 |
[41:55] | on several occasions? | 主动示好吗 |
[41:56] | Didn’t I just say he had a thing for the poor girl? | 我刚不就说了他对那个可怜的女孩有意思吗 |
[42:02] | Alvin does this. | 埃尔文就是这样 |
[42:05] | It’s like sportfishing. He doesn’t mean anything by it. | 就像垂钓一样 他没什么恶意 |
[42:09] | We were told he was home with you watching television | 我们得知贝芙莉失踪那天晚上 你和他在家 |
[42:11] | the night Beverly disappeared. | 一起看电视 |
[42:16] | You think Alvin did this? | 你们觉得是埃尔文干的 |
[42:21] | Oh! No. | 不 |
[42:25] | I mean, I’d love for him to get a good scare, | 我很乐意他被吓一吓 |
[42:28] | bothering a girl half his age, | 毕竟他在骚扰一个只有他一半大的女孩 |
[42:30] | but… no. | 但…不 |
[42:34] | The idiot was with me. | 那蠢货和我在一起 |
[42:36] | The whole night? | 整晚吗 |
[42:38] | The whole night. | 整晚 |
[42:42] | Okay, her husband made a pass at a younger woman. | 好吧 她丈夫对一个年轻女人示好 |
[42:45] | He’s an idiot. | 他是个蠢货 |
[42:48] | But so are a million other men. | 但还有成千上万这样的男人 |
[42:49] | I don’t see any of the anger you’ve been talking about. | 我没有看出任何你说的那种愤怒 |
[42:51] | So lo and behold, we’re back to the fiancé. | 真想不到 我们又绕回到未婚夫身上了 |
[42:53] | Follow your own logic, Bill. | 遵循你自己的逻辑 比尔 |
[42:55] | The anger makes no sense in a young couple either. | 结婚不久的夫妇之间也不可能有这样的愤怒 |
[42:58] | This could be the first killing in a sequence. | 这可能是连续杀人案的第一起 |
[43:00] | Nine times out of ten, it’s the boyfriend, | 这种案子十有八九都是男朋友 |
[43:02] | the husband, somebody close. | 丈夫 或是其他熟人做的 |
[43:04] | Nine times isn’t every time, Bill. | 十有八九不是全部 比尔 |
[43:05] | Listen, uh… | 听我说 |
[43:08] | Can’t say how much I appreciate all your help. | 难以形容我多么感激你们的帮助 |
[43:10] | Sorry if I got off a little shaky there at the start. | 抱歉刚开始的时候我有点靠不住 |
[43:13] | I’m gonna stick with Alvin, | 我会继续查埃尔文 |
[43:15] | if it’s all the same, keep you posted. | 如果有情况 我再通知你们 |
[43:20] | So you’re in the middle of an ongoing investigation? | 你们在参与一起正在进行中的调查 |
[43:23] | A local detective asked for our help. What else could we do? | 一个当地警探找我们帮忙 我们还能怎么办 |
[43:26] | Tell them you have more important things to do with your time. | 告诉他你们有更重要的事要做 |
[43:28] | We’ve been consulting with local cops for years. | 我们多年来一直在给地方警方当顾问 |
[43:31] | No reason to change that now. | 没理由现在停下 |
[43:32] | My assumption is you’re good at your job. | 我默认你们都很擅长自己的工作 |
[43:34] | Which means you’re gonna be | 也就是说 |
[43:35] | more focused on solving an actual crime | 相对我们在做的理论研究 |
[43:37] | than the theoretical work we’re doing here. | 你们会更注重侦破实际的案件 |
[43:39] | – And that’s bad? – It’s not a question of good or bad. | -这不好吗 -这不是好不好的问题 |
[43:41] | We can’t end crime, no matter what we do. | 我们无论做什么 都无法消灭犯罪 |
[43:44] | But in the long run, I think that our project | 但从长远来看 我认为我们的项目 |
[43:46] | could have a deeper impact than solving a single murder. | 比破一个案子的影响更深远 |
[43:49] | We can do both. It’s not an issue. | 二者可以同时进行 不是问题 |
[43:53] | So what jumped out when you were talking to Rissell? | 那和里塞尔的对话中有什么值得注意的吗 |
[43:56] | He seems aware of the trap of his childhood. | 他好像很清楚童年带给他的影响 |
[43:58] | How things might be different | 说要是他能和父亲待在一起 |
[43:59] | if he was allowed to stay with his dad. | 情况可能会完全不一样 |
[44:00] | Kemper said something similar. Didn’t he? | 坎伯也说了类似的话 不是吗 |
[44:02] | They’re both playing the victim, looking for sympathy. | 他们都在装受害者 寻求同情 |
[44:04] | I think it’s more complicated than that. | 我觉得要更复杂一点 |
[44:06] | I think you’re both right. I mean, it’s self-pity, absolutely. | 我觉得你们俩都对 首先这肯定是自怜自哀 |
[44:09] | And the psychopath understands how that plays to his audience. | 而精神病患也知道受众对此会作何反应 |
[44:12] | – Exactly. – But the complicated part | -没错 -但复杂的地方在于 |
[44:14] | is that they actually believe it. They have to. | 他们真的相信这一点 他们必须相信 |
[44:17] | I mean, if they admitted that they rape and murder for pleasure, | 因为要他们承认强奸和杀人能给他们带来快感 |
[44:20] | it would destroy them. | 那会击垮他们的 |
[44:22] | There’s a tension. | 这里有个矛盾 |
[44:23] | They need to be seen to have power over someone, | 他们想人看到他们能够掌控别人 |
[44:26] | and yet circumstance demands that they erase the only witness, | 但现实却要求他们清除唯一的目击者 |
[44:29] | which means they have to do the whole thing over again. | 也就是说他们得从头再来一次 |
[44:32] | It must be hell. | 那一定很煎熬 |
[44:33] | So the self-pity angle works. | 所以自怜的角度是说得通的 |
[44:35] | You have sympathy for both of them. | 你对他们俩都怀有同情 |
[44:36] | Yeah, of course. How else could I do my job? | 当然 不然我还怎么继续做研究 |
[44:39] | Do Kemper and Rissell have other common traits? | 坎伯和里塞尔还有其他共同点吗 |
[44:42] | Is that what you’re doing with these cards, | 这就是你用这些卡片在做的事 |
[44:43] | figuring out similarities? | 寻找相似点 |
[44:45] | And differences. I’ve been going through their files. | 和区别 我一直在看这些文件 |
[44:47] | I’m trying to frame an overall taxonomy, | 我正试图做一个分类 |
[44:50] | except I don’t know where to start. | 但不知道从哪开始 |
[44:51] | Start with the crime scene. | 从犯罪现场开始 |
[44:52] | Kemper’s like a general, planning his campaigns. | 坎伯就像个将军 计划着他的战役 |
[44:55] | – But Rissell… – Didn’t intend to kill his first victim. | -但里塞尔 -本来都没想杀害第一个受害人 |
[44:57] | All of his victims seem spontaneous. | 他每次杀人好像都是即兴的 |
[44:59] | He just walks away when he’s done. | 每次作完案就走人 |
[45:00] | Whereas Kemper took photographs, and dissected the victims, | 但坎伯就会拍照 解剖尸体 |
[45:03] | and was very good at hiding the remains. | 而且非常善于隐藏遗骸 |
[45:05] | So could we say “Systematic” and “Anti-systematic”? | 那我们能说”有系统的”和”无系统的”吗 |
[45:08] | Maybe something a little less… | 或者应该用更不… |
[45:09] | Something even a beat cop could understand straight away. | 那种普通巡警都能即刻理解的词 |
[45:12] | Right. Like “organized” and “disorganized.” | 没错 比如”有组织的”和”无组织的” |
[45:15] | Okay. Let’s try it. | 好吧 我们来试试 |
[45:16] | What goes where? | 怎么分呢 |
[45:20] | “High intelligence” would go under “Organized.” | “高智商”应该属于”有组织的” |
[45:24] | “Low intelligence”: “Disorganized.” | “低智商”属于”无组织的” |
[45:30] | – What do you think? – Definitely. | -你觉得呢 -完全正确 |
[45:32] | The class is great, | 课程很棒 |
[45:33] | but he’s a little obsessed with the meaning of shit. | 但他有点执迷于”屎”的意思 |
[45:36] | Does shit have meaning? | “屎”还有意思 |
[45:37] | All shit has meaning, man. | 所有东西[屎]都有意思 老兄 |
[45:40] | Is that her? | 是她吗 |
[45:44] | No. Wendy’s more… | 不是 温迪更… |
[45:48] | not that. | 反正不是那样 |
[45:49] | Look at you. | 你瞧你 |
[45:50] | Dr. Wendy has you all nervous. Should I be jealous? | 温迪博士让你这么紧张 我该吃醋吗 |
[45:54] | Would I have invited her | 要是我对她有兴趣 |
[45:54] | to go out with us if I was interested in her? | 我还会请她来和我们喝酒吗 |
[45:56] | I’ve seen men do stranger things. | 我见过男人做出更奇怪的事情 |
[45:59] | – So she’s married. – How does that follow? | -所以她已经结婚了 -这你怎么看出来的 |
[46:02] | If you’re not interested, she must be married. | 你对她不感兴趣 那她肯定是结婚了 |
[46:05] | For a man who picks up strange women in bars, | 你虽然在酒吧勾搭陌生女人 |
[46:07] | you have your scruples. | 但你还是有下限的 |
[46:10] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[46:14] | I don’t think she is married. | 我觉得她没有结婚 |
[46:16] | That’s her. | 是她 |
[46:20] | No. | 不是 |
[46:22] | Do you plan on getting married? | 你打算结婚吗 |
[46:24] | Having kids, the whole thing? | 生孩子 之类的 |
[46:27] | Are you proposing, Holden Ford? | 你这是在求婚吗 霍顿·福特 |
[46:29] | Just curious. | 只是好奇 |
[46:32] | – Your parents have a good marriage? – I have no idea. | -你父母婚姻幸福吗 -我不知道 |
[46:35] | – Where’s this coming from? – The study. | -怎么想起问这个了 -研究 |
[46:38] | We’re talking a lot about parents. | 我们最近常常在谈父母 |
[46:41] | Harsh mothers, absent fathers. | 母亲严苛 父亲缺席 |
[46:42] | All fathers are absent fathers. | 所有的父亲都是缺席父亲 |
[46:46] | That’s definitely her. | 那个绝对是她 |
[46:50] | No. | 不是 |
[46:52] | Hello. | 你们好 |
[46:53] | Hi. | 你好 |
[46:56] | – Wendy Carr. – Deborah Mitford. | -我是温迪·卡尔 -黛博拉·米特福德 |
[46:58] | It’s a pleasure. | 幸会 |
[46:59] | Thank you so much for the invitation. | 多谢你们邀请我 |
[47:00] | It was unexpected, but appreciated. | 虽说没想到 但还是多谢了 |
[47:02] | Yeah, for a fed, he’s not so bad at having a good time. | 是啊 想不到他一个条子这么会找乐子 |
[47:05] | Are you in law enforcement also? | 你也是执法部门的吗 |
[47:07] | No, I’m doing postgrad, actually. | 不 我其实在读研究生 |
[47:09] | – Sociology at UVA. – What’s your concentration? | -在弗大读社会学 -研究方向是什么 |
[47:12] | – Social deviance. – So… Durkheim? | -社会越轨 -读涂尔干的书 |
[47:14] | – Yes. – Oh, God. | -是 -天哪 |
[47:17] | Just because I didn’t know who Durkheim was… | 就算我不知道涂尔干是谁 |
[47:19] | – Or Goring, or Blumer. – It’s fine. | -以及格林和布鲁默 -都没关系 |
[47:19] | 查尔斯·格林 犯罪学先驱 赫伯特·布鲁默 美国社会学家 | |
[47:22] | I’m not intimidated being around women who are smarter than me. | 我不会因为我身边的女性比我聪明而感到威胁 |
[47:25] | Men often say that, but they rarely mean it. | 男人常常这么说 但几乎都是在说谎 |
[47:28] | Holden means it. | 霍顿是说真的 |
[47:29] | He has a lot of flaws, but surprisingly, that’s not one of them. | 他缺点不少 但这一点上他还真不错 |
[47:35] | – I’m… Excuse me. – Yes. | -我 请来一下 -请讲 |
[47:38] | Could I get a Manhattan? And will you have another round? | 能给我来杯曼哈顿吗 你们俩要不要续杯 |
[47:42] | – Yeah, thank you. – Yeah. | -好的 多谢 -好的 |
[47:44] | So he called you directly? | 他直接联系你了 |
[47:46] | No, Andrea called. Said he wanted to meet with us. | 没有 安德里亚打的 说他想见咱们 |
[47:49] | Any idea what this is about? | 知道是因为什么事吗 |
[47:51] | No. Usually, it’s about finding clarity. | 不知道 不过一般是为了把话说清楚 |
[47:54] | But he asked for me specifically? | 但他特地要求我也来了 |
[47:56] | All three of us. | 我们三个都来 |
[48:19] | Come in. | 请进 |
[48:22] | Dr. Carr, Unit Chief Shepard. | 卡尔博士 我是部门主管谢帕德 |
[48:24] | Nice to meet you finally. | 终于有幸见到您了 |
[48:26] | You as well. | 见到您也很荣幸 |
[48:27] | Sit, please. All of you. | 坐吧 大家都请坐 |
[48:32] | So, how’s everything? Progressing? | 一切都好吧 进展顺利吧 |
[48:37] | Uh, yes, thank you. | 挺好的 谢谢 |
[48:39] | – Fine, thanks. – Slowly, but yes. | -挺好的 -进展不快 但挺好的 |
[48:41] | Can I help with anything? | 有什么我帮得上的地方吗 |
[48:45] | Is there anything I need to know? | 有什么我需要知道的情况吗 |
[48:50] | – Sir, if this is about the car… – Nobody cares about the car. | -长官 如果是关于那车 -谁在乎车 |
[48:52] | It was insured and I assume driven by your protégé. | 车险也买了 而且我猜是你徒弟在开车吧 |
[48:56] | – It’s not important who was driving. – I agree. | -谁开车都不重要 -我同意 |
[48:58] | Dr. Carr, I’m aware of your consulting with Bill over the years | 卡尔博士 我知道你给比尔提供咨询多年了 |
[49:01] | and your help framing | 而且你帮助 |
[49:03] | certain psychological concepts with the BSU. | 行为科学部厘清了一些心理学概念 |
[49:05] | Uh, yes, a handful of times. Special Agent Tench was… | 是的 就几次 特别探员比尔·坦奇曾经 |
[49:08] | I assume that meant you | 那我想这就意味着 |
[49:09] | understood how things were done here at Quantico. | 你明白匡提科这边做事的规矩 |
[49:12] | I assumed the same for your cohorts. | 我认为你的同事也知道 |
[49:15] | You might think it is my job to impede your progress | 你们或许以为我的工作就是碍你们的事 |
[49:18] | with my insistence on timelines and established protocols. | 拿工期啊规章制度什么的限制你们 |
[49:22] | – No, sir. Not at all. – That is not my job. | -没有长官 绝没有 -那不是我的工作 |
[49:24] | My job is to provide guidance and quite a bit of protection. | 我的工作是提供指导 以及一定程度的保护 |
[49:28] | – I don’t understand. – Clearly. | -我不明白 -明摆着 |
[49:32] | You have stepped outside the shade of my umbrella | 你们走出了我的保护伞 |
[49:34] | and you are now exposed to direct sunlight. | 现在已经暴露在阳光下了 |
[49:37] | I applied for grant money from several sources | 我向多个机构申请了大笔拨款 |
[49:39] | anticipating a response months from now. | 想着怎么也得几个月才有回音吧 |
[49:41] | Much to my surprise, | 结果出乎我意料的是 |
[49:43] | the Law Enforcement Assistance Administration was already aware | 执法协助管理局已经听说了 |
[49:46] | of our needs and activities. | 我们的需要和活动 |
[49:47] | I see. I had no intention | 我明白了 我无意 |
[49:48] | of embarrassing you, Unit Chief Shepard. | 让您尴尬 谢帕德部长 |
[49:50] | I was at a fund-raiser for the university | 我参加了一个大学募款会 |
[49:52] | and I was talking to some… | 而我和几个人谈… |
[49:53] | Yes, talking to people outside the FBI | 是啊 和外人谈联调局内部的事 |
[49:55] | about something you were not even supposed to be aware of. | 谈你甚至都没有资格知道的事 |
[49:58] | The LEAA explained that the application was anticipated. | 执管局解释说他们已经知道我们的申请 |
[50:01] | How could that be, I wondered. | 我就好奇啊 怎么知道的呢 |
[50:04] | It seems they know more about what’s going on in our basement | 似乎他们对我们地下室里进行的一切 |
[50:07] | than I was comfortable including in the application. | 比我放心写进申请书里的知道的还多 |
[50:10] | – I so apologize. It… – Sir, this is my fault. | -我非常抱歉 -长官 都是我的错 |
[50:13] | Your research has been awarded $200,000. | 你们的研究获得了20万拨款 |
[50:17] | – What? – There’s more. | -什么 -还有呢 |
[50:19] | As I said, I applied to more than one place for funding. | 我说了 我向不止一家机构申请了拨款 |
[50:21] | The National Institute of Justice heard about the LEAA, | 国家司法研究所也听说了执管局的拨款 |
[50:24] | and they are in competition, | 于是他们也出手了 |
[50:25] | so the NIJ has awarded you an additional $185,000. | 司研所又拨给你们18.5万元 |
[50:29] | You can’t be serious. | 你开玩笑呢吧 |
[50:30] | This amount of money comes with considerable scrutiny. | 跟着钱来的就是严厉的监管 |
[50:34] | And I’m not talking about bookkeeping as such, | 我说的可不是做做账那种 |
[50:35] | although you will certainly | 当然你们肯定会 |
[50:37] | be required to keep meticulous records. | 被要求进行周密的书面记录 |
[50:39] | I’m talking about Congress | 我说的可是国会 |
[50:40] | having a real interest in everything we do. | 对我们的研究非常感兴趣 |
[50:43] | So much for the protection I might have afforded you. | 所以我的保护就到此为止了 |
[50:48] | Congratulations, I suppose. | 看来该祝贺你们 |
[50:51] | Have a nice day. | 祝你们愉快 |