时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:22] | May I help you? | 需要帮忙吗 |
[00:23] | Yes. Thank you. | 需要 谢谢 |
[00:25] | I need some replacement electrical tape. | 我想找点替换的绝缘胶带 |
[00:27] | Okay. You bring me the empty and I’ll get you a new roll. | 好吧 你把空的给我 我给你拿卷新的 |
[00:30] | Empty what? | 空的什么 |
[00:32] | The cardboard core that’s left when you run out of tape. | 就是胶带用完后剩下的卷芯 |
[00:36] | What? Why? | 什么 为什么 |
[00:38] | That’s the way we do it. | 这是惯例 |
[00:40] | I can’t give you a new one until we get the old. | 不给我用完的 我就不能给你新胶带 |
[00:43] | Are you kidding me? | 你在开玩笑吗 |
[00:46] | No. | 没有 |
[00:49] | Whatever, Dennis. | 随便吧 丹尼斯 |
[02:40] | This is your captain speaking. New York City to the Bay Area… | 我是机长 从纽约飞往旧金山湾区… |
[02:43] | Just, hey, do me a favor. Don’t mention this to me ever again. | 帮个忙 别再跟我提起这个了 |
[02:47] | I’m going to. | 我还是会的 |
[02:48] | It’s the insanest idea I’ve ever heard. | 这是我听过最匪夷所思的主意了 |
[02:49] | – I’m going to, Bill. – We have a job to do. | -我要说 比尔 -我们有工作要做 |
[02:51] | – We are here to teach. – Chino, California Medical, | -我们是来教书的 -奇诺 加州医院 |
[02:55] | California Men’s Colony, Norco, Soledad, San Quentin… | 加州男子监狱 诺科 索莱达 圣昆廷 |
[02:58] | If you’d said to me, | 如果你对我说 |
[02:59] | “Bill, I want to become a Beach Boy, take up surfing, | “比尔 我想做个海滩男孩 冲冲浪 |
[03:01] | – sit around smoking the vibes.” – Folsom. | -无所事事感受那里的氛围” -福尔松 |
[03:03] | Or, “I want to make it in the movies. | 或者说 “我想当电影明星 |
[03:05] | Gonna get me a walk-up in West Hollywood and a Pekingese.” | 在西好莱坞买栋公寓 养只哈巴狗” |
[03:08] | Manson is 30 miles away in Vacaville. | 曼森就在48公里以外的瓦卡维尔 |
[03:10] | A hop, skip, and a jump. | 想去还不容易 |
[03:12] | – You really wanna meet Charlie Manson? – Why not? | -你真的想见查尔斯·曼森吗 -为什么不 |
[03:15] | – Sir. – Just swing by and say hi. | -先生 -只是顺便路过打个招呼 |
[03:17] | Yeah. | 是啊 |
[03:18] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[03:21] | Nobody wants to hear about that crazy motherfucker. | 没人想听那个疯子的事 |
[03:24] | You know this. | 你知道的 |
[03:25] | Welcome to San Francisco. Please remain seated… | 欢迎来到旧金山 请保持… |
[03:28] | Besides, when are you gonna find time | 再说了 你什么时候能挪出时间 |
[03:30] | for these fireside chats, Holden? | 去闲聊 霍顿 |
[03:34] | I’ll figure it out. | 我来安排 |
[03:39] | Nobody can talk to Manson. | 没人能和曼森说上话 |
[03:41] | Tom Snyder’s been trying to interview him for years. | 汤姆·辛德想约谈他好几年了 |
[03:44] | We’re the Federal Bureau of Investigation. | 我们是联邦调查局的 |
[03:46] | What if his civil rights are being violated? | 要是他的公民权利被侵犯了怎么办 |
[03:48] | Please just get in the car. | 求你快上车吧 |
[04:11] | In California every year, 35 percent of murders go unsolved. | 加州每年有35%的谋杀案无法破案 |
[04:16] | That’s more unsolved murders than in any other state. | 比其它任何州都要多 |
[04:19] | It’s partly due to geography. | 一部分是因为地理原因 |
[04:20] | In the woods, in the mountains, | 森林 大山 |
[04:23] | – ravines, hiking trails… – You can’t get to Manson, | -山沟 远足小径 -就算你是联调局的 |
[04:25] | even if you’re a fed. | 也不能接触到曼森 |
[04:27] | CMF treats him like a fucking unicorn. | 监狱的人把他当神兽一样供着 |
[04:30] | No one needs to think about | 没人比圣克鲁兹的人 |
[04:31] | psychology more than the people in Santa Cruz. | 更需要思考心理学问题 |
[04:34] | In a homicide situation… | 在谋杀案中… |
[04:35] | If you go to Vacaville, you definitely need to meet Ed Kemper. | 如果你去瓦卡维尔 一定得去见艾德·坎伯 |
[04:38] | What happened that triggered him? | 是什么引发了他的犯罪动机 |
[04:40] | Give me that name again. | 再说一遍名字 |
[04:42] | Kemper. Ed Kemper. | 坎伯 艾德·坎伯 |
[04:44] | They call him the “Coed Killer.” | 大家叫他”女学生杀手” |
[04:46] | What about when even the killer | 要是连凶手都不知道 |
[04:47] | doesn’t know why he behaved as he did? | 自己当时为何那样做呢 |
[04:48] | You can’t miss the guy. He’s like, | 你不会找不到他的 |
[04:49] | six foot nine, 285 pounds. | 他身高2米1 体重130公斤 |
[04:52] | – Whoa. King-size. – Super king. | -大个子 -超级大 |
[04:53] | Violent murder used to be… | 暴力的谋杀案过去… |
[04:54] | Killed a bunch of coeds in Santa Cruz. | 在圣克鲁兹杀了不少女学生 |
[04:57] | Six teenage girls, chops their heads off, | 6个十几岁的女孩 被他砍了头 |
[04:59] | has sexual intercourse with the corpses. | 还被奸了尸 |
[05:01] | Kills his mom with a claw hammer, | 他还用羊角锤杀了自己的妈妈 |
[05:03] | has sexual intercourse with her head. | 并和她的头性交 |
[05:05] | – Bullshit. – In her mouth. | -胡说 -用她的嘴 |
[05:07] | – No. – Yeah. | -不是吧 -真的 |
[05:08] | When strangers murder strangers for no apparent reason… | 当人无缘无故杀害素昧平生的人… |
[05:11] | He was in a mental institution right up until then too. | 在那之前他一直被关在一间精神病院中 |
[05:15] | He’s a total whack job. | 他就是个彻头彻尾的疯子 |
[05:16] | He was murdering his grandparents at the age of 15, | 他15岁时杀了自己的爷爷奶奶 |
[05:18] | but then he manages to convince | 但后来他让大家相信 |
[05:19] | everyone that he’s completely rehabilitated. | 他已经恢复正常 |
[05:21] | Oh, my God. | 天呐 |
[05:22] | In many of these crimes, the motives are not just obscure… | 在很多凶杀案中 作案动机不仅不明… |
[05:26] | Jim Conor knew him real well. I’ll introduce you. | 吉姆·康纳对他很了解 我来介绍你们认识 |
[05:29] | – Really? – Yeah. | -真的吗 -嗯 |
[05:30] | – …borderline unfathomable. – Thank you. | -…接近难以理解 -谢谢 |
[05:34] | Used to call him Big Ed. Everybody here knew him. | 人们以前叫他大艾德 大家都认识他 |
[05:36] | Was he an informant? | 他是个线人吗 |
[05:38] | No, but he was smart. He was funny. | 不是 但他很聪明 也很幽默 |
[05:41] | He used to watch all the cop shows on TV. | 电视上播的警匪片他都看 |
[05:43] | Crazy about Wambaugh and Police Story. | 对万巴和《警察故事》特别着迷 |
[05:45] | He wanted to be CHP, but it didn’t work out. | 他想当加州公路巡警 但是没当成 |
[05:48] | He would joke that they could conceal his psychiatric record | 他开玩笑说他们藏得了他的精神病史 |
[05:50] | but not his fat ass. | 但藏不了他的大屁股 |
[05:53] | Stupid shit like that. | 总说些这样的蠢话 |
[05:55] | Guys like him always want to be in uniform. | 像他那样的人都想当警察 |
[05:57] | Losers. Losers are drawn to authority. | 废柴 废柴都很崇尚权力 |
[06:00] | Nobody wants to admit it, but losers are useful. | 没人愿意承认这点 但废柴都很有用 |
[06:02] | – Why? – They’re nosy. | -为什么 -他们爱管闲事 |
[06:04] | They know what everybody else is up to. | 他们知道其他人在干什么 |
[06:06] | And they’re resentful, a lot of ’em. | 很多废柴都很厌世 |
[06:08] | They always got a raw deal. | 他们总是受到不公平的待遇 |
[06:10] | Ed was a busybody. | 艾德喜欢管闲事 |
[06:11] | And this was before you knew about the killings? | 这都是发现他杀人之前的看法吗 |
[06:13] | Oh, we knew about ’em, just hadn’t connected them with him. | 我们知道有人被杀 只是没有想到是他 |
[06:16] | He kept asking about them, though. | 不过他总是问起她们 |
[06:17] | And you didn’t suspect him? | 你这样都没有怀疑过他吗 |
[06:22] | What? | 干什么 |
[06:23] | “What?” You liked the guy. | “干什么” 你喜欢那个家伙 |
[06:26] | – Let’s say he was a friendly nuisance. – Oh, come on. | -反正他是个友善的祸害 -得了吧 |
[06:30] | – He was hard not to like. – So you were the arresting officer? | -很难不喜欢他 -所以是你逮捕他的吗 |
[06:32] | In the end, he lit out to Pueblo, Colorado, | 最后 他逃到科罗拉多州的普韦布洛去了 |
[06:36] | expecting there to be some kind of manhunt. | 以为会有人到那去追捕他 |
[06:38] | When nobody came, | 结果没人来 |
[06:39] | he got sick of waiting and decided to turn himself in. | 他等得不耐烦 然后决定自首 |
[06:43] | Called from a pay phone. Confessed! | 用公用电话打来 认罪了 |
[06:46] | We thought he was bullshitting. I drove him all the way back. | 我们以为他在胡扯 我一路开车载他回去 |
[06:49] | He wouldn’t stop yakking. Going into forensic detail. | 他喋喋不休 讲述作案细节 |
[06:53] | I thought I hit the jackpot. | 我本以为我中头彩了 |
[06:55] | After a few hours, I’m like, “Oh, God, please. Enough!” | 过了几个小时 我求饶”拜托 别说了” |
[06:58] | You think Kemper would talk to us? | 你觉得坎伯愿意和我们谈吗 |
[07:01] | Try stopping him. | 只怕他停不下来 |
[07:02] | Who’s “us,” kemosabe? | “我们”是谁 朋友 |
[07:08] | David Berkowitz, 24. | 大卫·伯科威茨 24岁 |
[07:10] | Spent his days sorting letters at the post office so he could… | 白天在邮局分理信件 这样他就可以… |
[07:14] | What? | 怎么了 |
[07:15] | Really, what are you expecting to learn? | 你指望能学到什么 |
[07:17] | A killer who can’t stop talking? It’s a gift. | 一个口若悬河的杀手 这是天赐的礼物 |
[07:20] | A gift, huh? | 礼物 |
[07:21] | He made a severed head perform fellatio on him. | 他用一个断头给他口交 |
[07:24] | His third victim was a 15-year-old child, Holden. | 他的第三个受害者只有15岁 霍顿 |
[07:29] | You don’t want to talk? | 你不想说话吗 |
[07:30] | So, basically, you just got me out here | 所以你带我来 |
[07:32] | to carry your slide projector? | 就是为了帮你拿幻灯机 |
[07:33] | To help with the workload, yeah. The work we’re sanctioned to do. | 帮我分担工作 是的 我们被批准做的工作 |
[07:37] | Kemper doesn’t interest you or is beneath you somehow? | 你对坎伯没兴趣还是你看不起他 |
[07:39] | A little of both. | 两者都有吧 |
[07:41] | – This is the man… – Think the tie’s too much? | -这个人… -你说领带是不是太正式了 |
[07:43] | 报导 罗伯特·黑格尔 纽约 | |
[07:45] | What about the suit? | 西装呢 |
[07:46] | Anybody finds out you’re a fed, there’ll be a riot. | 要是有人看出你是联调局的 会发生暴动的 |
[07:49] | Shepard finds out you’ve been interviewing the Coed Killer | 要是谢帕德发现你有在搞副项目 |
[07:51] | as a side project, he’ll flip his shit. | 约谈女学生杀手 他会抓狂的 |
[07:53] | It’s easier to ask forgiveness than permission. | 请求原谅比请求许可容易 |
[07:57] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[07:59] | If you’re gonna go in, you need to go in stone goddamn cold, | 你如果要去 就得保持冷酷 |
[08:02] | take him by surprise, get the fuck out as quick as possible. | 出其不意 速战速决 |
[08:06] | Good advice. | 好建议 |
[08:06] | Straight in there, don’t phone, | 直接进去 别打电话 |
[08:08] | don’t give them a chance to ask around. | 别给他问东问西的机会 |
[08:10] | I’m a buddy of Jim Conor’s. | 我是吉姆·康纳的朋友 |
[08:12] | “Jim Conor reached out,” you bet. “He sends his regards.” | “吉姆·康纳找到我” “他向你问好” |
[08:15] | “I stopped by the Jury Room for a drink.” | “我去陪审团休息室酒吧喝了一杯” |
[08:18] | “The guys all say…” blah, blah, blah. | “大家都说…”什么什么的 |
[08:20] | – “Can I call you Big Ed?” – I wouldn’t mention the killings. | -“我能叫你大艾德吗” -别提杀人的事 |
[08:23] | You’re not there because he’s a necrophile degenerate. | 你去那不是因为他是恋尸变态狂 |
[08:25] | You’re there because he’s… fascinating. | 你去是因为他很有趣 |
[08:28] | How do I not mention the killings? | 怎么能做到不提杀人的事 |
[08:30] | Just take it slow. | 总之慢慢来 |
[08:33] | – What are you doing? – Just in case. | -你在干什么 -以防万一 |
[08:36] | Holden, they’re not gonna let you in with a sidearm. | 他们不会让你带着手枪进去的 |
[08:38] | The guy is six foot nine, weighs 300 pounds. | 他有2米1 130公斤 |
[08:40] | – That’s right. – So what’s he gonna do? | -没错 -所以他能做什么 |
[08:43] | He’s gonna take the fucking thing away, kill you with it, | 他会夺走你的枪 然后毙了你 |
[08:46] | and then have sex with your face. | 再和你的脸做爱 |
[09:03] | Hold it, guys. | 停车 |
[09:10] | – You’re clear. – I don’t want to spoil your fun. | -可以进去了 -我不想打搅你玩乐 |
[09:12] | I’m good. Nine is fine. | 没事 9点没问题 |
[09:13] | You could come. Take notes. | 你可以跟我一起进去 记笔记 |
[09:16] | You take notes, I’ll help you write ’em up. | 你记笔记 我帮你写完整报告 |
[09:18] | You’re really gonna go golfing | 你真要在我收集女学生杀手 |
[09:20] | while I glean profound insights from the Coed Killer? | 深刻见解的时候去打高尔夫吗 |
[09:23] | – It’s my day off. – You’re gonna be sorry. | -今天我休假 -你会后悔的 |
[09:25] | No. You’re gonna be sorry, Holden, | 不 会后悔的人是你 霍顿 |
[09:26] | when he decides you’re using him | 当他断定你是在利用他 |
[09:28] | and there’s nothing in it for good old Ed. | 老好人艾德没有好处可得的时候 |
[09:29] | – I think there is. – What? | -有的 -是什么 |
[09:31] | He’s going to be part of something | 他可以参与到一件事里 |
[09:33] | instead of rotting inside a cell. | 而不是在牢房里腐烂 |
[09:34] | Part of what? We’re not even here. | 参与什么 我们严格来说根本没来过这儿 |
[09:40] | All right. | 好吧 |
[09:47] | I must respectfully ask for your badge and firearm. | 我得请你交出微章和武器 |
[09:53] | Yes, sir. | 好的 |
[10:02] | In addition, I have some paperwork for you to sign. | 此外 你还得签署一些文件 |
[10:04] | A disclaimer that states in the event of your death, | 一份免责声明 如果你在本监狱里 |
[10:07] | or if you’re taken hostage, attacked, assaulted, | 死亡 或者被劫持 袭击 殴打 |
[10:09] | or otherwise abused within the correctional facility, | 亦或者被虐待 |
[10:11] | the United States government forswears any and all liability. | 美国政府将没有任何责任 |
[10:18] | Oh. Okay. | 好的 |
[10:47] | Kiss my ass! | 去死吧 |
[10:59] | Hey, boy, bring that shit over here! | 小子 过来 |
[11:01] | Bitch! | 贱人 |
[11:46] | Can we unlock the… | 能解开… |
[11:47] | No, those stay on. They’re regulation. | 不行 必须戴着 这是规定 |
[11:50] | I think that’s gonna be a little awkward. | 这样可能会有点尴尬 |
[11:55] | You’re FBI. | 你是联调局的 你说了算 |
[12:03] | – Okay. You’re all set. – Thanks, Jim. | -好了 你可以过去了 -谢了 吉姆 |
[12:06] | – I’ll see ya later. – Later. | -回见 -回见 |
[12:16] | Holden, right? | 你是霍顿吧 |
[12:20] | – Edward. – Edmund. | -艾德华 -艾德蒙 |
[12:22] | – Oh, I’m sorry. I assumed that it was… – Are you tired? | -抱歉 我默认是… -你很累吗 |
[12:25] | How could you tell? | 怎么看出来的 |
[12:26] | It’s a beautiful drive, but it’s long. | 一路风景是很美 不过距离很长 |
[12:30] | Edmund was my mom’s idea, so you can call me Ed. | 艾德蒙是我妈取的 你可以叫我艾德 |
[12:36] | Sure thing. | 当然 |
[12:40] | So how can I help? | 有什么可以帮到你的 |
[12:43] | Okay. Um… | 好的 |
[12:46] | I’m an instructor | 我是匡提科 |
[12:47] | working out of the Behavioral Science Unit at Quantico, | 行为科学部的一个指导员 |
[12:50] | and I had this idea… | 我有一个想法… |
[12:51] | Have you had breakfast? | 你吃早饭了吗 |
[12:53] | Can I get you something? You want a sandwich? | 需要我给你买点什么吗 三明治 |
[12:56] | – No, I’m okay. – What kind of sandwich you like? | -不用了 -你喜欢哪种三明治 |
[13:01] | – Um… I’m good. – You want an egg salad sandwich? | -不用了 -你想吃鸡蛋沙拉三明治吗 |
[13:05] | – I’m fine. Really. – I’ll get us an egg salad sandwich. | -不用 真的 -我去买个鸡蛋沙拉三明治 |
[13:08] | I can get almost anything you want from the canteen. | 我在食堂几乎能买到任何你想吃的东西 |
[13:16] | Okay. | 好 |
[13:18] | – Do you have tuna? – Oh, the egg salad’s better. | -有金枪鱼的吗 -鸡蛋沙拉的更好吃 |
[13:22] | – Hey, Jim? – Yeah, Ed? | -吉姆 -什么事 艾德 |
[13:24] | Have you seen Mitch this morning? | 你今早看到米奇了吗 |
[13:25] | You think you can find him for me? | 你能帮我找找他吗 |
[13:31] | – Good, huh? – Mmm! | -好吃吧 -嗯 |
[13:34] | These guys are great. | 这些人很好 |
[13:35] | I’ve been here five years. We just clicked right off the bat. | 我来这里五年了 我们很快就成了朋友 |
[13:40] | You like the guards? | 你喜欢这儿的警卫吗 |
[13:42] | Well, they like me. I’m polite. | 他们喜欢我 我很礼貌 |
[13:44] | You know, | 话说 |
[13:47] | I heard that you used to drink at the Jury Room. | 听说你以前常去陪审团休息室酒吧喝酒 |
[13:50] | You mean in Santa Cruz? | 你是说在圣克鲁兹的吗 |
[13:52] | Yeah, those are good guys. | 对 他们人挺好的 |
[13:55] | I applied to California Highway Patrol. | 我申请成为加州公路巡警 |
[13:58] | My mom spoke to the cops to get my psychiatric record expunged. | 我妈让警察把我的精神病记录删掉 |
[14:03] | Turns out my record | 后来才知道 |
[14:04] | didn’t bother them at all, I was just too tall. | 他们完全不介意我的记录 只是因为我太高了 |
[14:07] | Too tall? I’ve heard of being too short, but… | 太高 我听说过有人因为太矮被拒 但是… |
[14:14] | What? | 什么 |
[14:15] | Nothing. It just seems… | 没什么 只是似乎… |
[14:16] | You think they lied to me? | 你觉得他们骗了我 |
[14:20] | No. | 没有 |
[14:23] | Well, cops like me because they can talk to me… | 警察喜欢我是因为他们中的一些人 |
[14:27] | more than they can talk to their own wives, some of them. | 比起自己老婆 跟我更容易交流 |
[14:30] | Really? What do you talk about? | 是吗 你们都聊些什么 |
[14:32] | You know, books, movies. | 书啊 电影啊 |
[14:33] | I watch all the cop shows on TV. | 我看电视上的各种警察节目 |
[14:36] | Do you know, uh… | 你知道 |
[14:39] | Joseph Wambaugh, Police Story? You ever watch that? | 《警察故事》的乔瑟夫·万巴吗 有看过吗 |
[14:42] | Huge fan. | 忠实观众 |
[14:43] | I got a lot of my insights right there. | 我很多领悟就是从那节目里获得的 |
[14:46] | Really? | 真的吗 |
[14:49] | What kind of insights? | 什么样的领悟 |
[14:50] | Well, so, for example, with cops, | 比如 同警察打交道 |
[14:52] | I would not allow myself to walk into a trap | 我不会允许自己陷入圈套 |
[14:55] | because I knew exactly how their minds worked | 因为通过看万巴的节目 我很清楚 |
[14:57] | from watching Wambaugh. | 他们的思维是怎么运作的 |
[14:58] | What kind of trap are you talking about? | 你指什么样的圈套 |
[15:00] | The classic is talking too much about the crimes. | 最典型的就是一直谈论罪行 |
[15:03] | Over-interest. | 过度感兴趣 |
[15:04] | You have to remain casual. | 你必须保持漫不经心 |
[15:07] | They tried everything to trick me. I’m too savvy. | 他们尝尽各种方法给我下套 可我太机智了 |
[15:09] | I don’t fucking talk, period. | 我一句话也不说 就这么简单 |
[15:14] | Really? That’s interesting. | 是吗 有意思 |
[15:15] | So… you had this idea? | 你刚说你有个想法 |
[15:19] | Yes. Uh, yes. | 对 是的 |
[15:23] | It’s kind of, uh… | 类似… |
[15:27] | Well, it’s more of a research thing. | 更像是研究 |
[15:30] | Research. | 研究 |
[15:32] | Just a series of interviews, | 就是做一系列的面谈 |
[15:34] | chatting with… | 和你这样的人… |
[15:36] | individuals not unlike yourself. | 聊天 |
[15:40] | We’re just talking? | 我们只聊天吗 |
[15:43] | I don’t get to go someplace, do a bunch of tests? | 我没得去某个地方 做各种测试吗 |
[15:46] | No. Yeah, no tests. Just right here. | 是的 没有测试 就在这儿 |
[15:48] | Why? | 为什么 |
[15:50] | Well, because I believe it could be useful. | 因为我相信这可能有用 |
[15:54] | Talking about what? | 聊什么 |
[15:56] | Well, I don’t know. | 不知道 |
[15:59] | Your… | 你的… |
[16:01] | behavior, I guess. | 行为吧 |
[16:05] | If you want to, that is. | 当然前提是你愿意的话 |
[16:06] | We don’t have to talk about anything at all | 如果你不愿意 |
[16:08] | if you don’t want to. | 我们什么都不用聊 |
[16:12] | Why are you so tense? | 你这么紧张干什么 |
[16:15] | You’re tense, right now. | 你现在很紧张 |
[16:17] | No, I’m not tense. | 不 我不紧张 |
[16:21] | Well, I’ll be honest, I don’t get many visitors. | 我就直说吧 我访客不多 |
[16:24] | When I do, you think they want to talk about this shit? | 当有访客的时候 你觉得他们会想聊这些吗 |
[16:28] | Fuck no. | 当然不会 |
[16:28] | It’s like if you worked at a slaughterhouse with livestock, | 就像你以前在屠宰场当过屠夫一样 |
[16:31] | real conversation stopper. | 这是对话终结者 |
[16:34] | Did you? | 那你在屠宰场工作过吗 |
[16:34] | No, I’m just saying… | 没有 我只是说 |
[16:37] | People who hunt other people for a vocation, | 我们这些将猎捕他人作为使命的人 |
[16:40] | all we want to talk about is what it’s like. | 只想聊这是什么样的感觉 |
[16:43] | The shit that went down. The entire fucked-upness of it. | 出过的岔子 那些操蛋事儿 |
[16:47] | Right, sure. | 当然了 |
[16:49] | It’s not easy. Butchering people is hard work. | 这不容易 屠宰一个人是繁重的工作 |
[16:53] | Physically and mentally. I don’t think people realize. | 身体上和心理上都是 人们意识不到 |
[16:56] | You need to vent. | 你需要发泄 |
[17:00] | What are you writing down? | 你在写什么 |
[17:01] | Oh, I just think it’s an interesting choice of words, “vocation.” | 我觉得你的用词很有意思 “使命” |
[17:07] | Well, what would you call it? | 那你会怎么形容 |
[17:10] | A hobby? I’d say it’s more than that. | 兴趣 远不只是兴趣 |
[17:13] | Look at the consequences. The stakes are very high. | 看看后果 风险非常高 |
[17:21] | Is this helping? Are you getting what you came for? | 这有帮助吗 你得到你想要的了吗 |
[17:24] | – I think. – Good. | -应该得到了 -很好 |
[17:25] | Can I… Could I just ask you something? | 我 我能问你个事吗 |
[17:29] | Do you believe that prison can help you? | 你觉得监狱能帮助你吗 |
[17:31] | Are you kidding? | 你开玩笑吗 |
[17:33] | You think you shouldn’t be in prison? | 你认为你不该进监狱吗 |
[17:35] | I think it’s shutting the barn door | 我觉得这就好比是 |
[17:37] | after the horse has bolted, somewhat. | 亡羊补牢 |
[17:40] | What do you think the state should do with you instead? | 那你觉得州政府该怎么处置你 |
[17:43] | Well, Holden, a lobotomy’s not out of the question. | 霍顿 比如额叶切除手术 |
[17:46] | Lobotomy? | 额叶切除手术 |
[17:47] | Like Frances Farmer. | 就像弗朗西斯·法默那样 |
[17:50] | – You remember Frances Farmer? – No. | -你记得弗朗西斯·法默吗 -不记得 |
[17:52] | I loved Frances Farmer. She was an actress. | 我很喜欢弗朗西斯·法默 她是个演员 |
[17:55] | They lobotomized her in the ’50s. | 他们在50年代对她实施了额叶切除手术 |
[17:57] | She was very smart and intense… | 她很聪明 热情 |
[17:59] | very misunderstood. She was a lot like me. | 受到很多误解 她跟我很像 |
[18:03] | You don’t think you could benefit from psychiatry? | 你觉得精神病学对你没帮助吗 |
[18:05] | I already did all that in the institution. | 我在精神病院里的时候已经领教过了 |
[18:10] | It didn’t take. | 没用 |
[18:13] | For me, I think surgery might give me the best chance. | 我觉得对我来说手术可能是最有希望的办法 |
[18:16] | And if surgery doesn’t… take, | 如果手术也没用 |
[18:20] | in this modern society, | 在当今社会 |
[18:21] | what do we do with the Ed Kempers of the world? | 我们该如何处置艾德·坎伯这种人 |
[18:25] | Well, isn’t that your department? | 这难道不是你该想的吗 |
[18:30] | From your perspective. | 从你的角度来看 |
[18:37] | Death by torture? | 折磨至死吧 |
[18:58] | So what are you not telling me? | 你在对我隐瞒什么 |
[19:01] | Why do you keep looking at me like that? | 为什么你一直那样看着我 |
[19:03] | – Like what? – Funny. | -怎样看你 -眼神古怪 |
[19:06] | You keep looking at me like I’m a specimen. | 你一直像看标本一样看着我 |
[19:10] | Well, to be honest… | 说实话… |
[19:14] | It’s just you seem like a nice, ordinary… | 你看起来非常友善 普通… |
[19:17] | It’s difficult for me to | 我很难把你 |
[19:19] | square you with what you’re in prison for. | 和你的罪行联系起来 |
[19:24] | Well, sure. | 当然了 |
[19:28] | I was a regular guy most of my life, | 我生活中大部分时间都是个普通人 |
[19:31] | with a nice home, nice suburb. | 有一个美好的家 住在宜人的乡下 |
[19:33] | I had pets, I went to a good school. | 我也养过宠物 上了不错的学校 |
[19:35] | I was a thoughtful, educated, well brought up young person. | 我是个体贴 受过良好教育 有教养的年轻人 |
[19:40] | There’s no question about it. | 这点毫无疑问 |
[19:42] | But… | 但… |
[19:45] | at the same time… | 与此同时… |
[19:47] | I was living a vile, depraved, entirely parallel other life | 我也过着另一种卑鄙邪恶的平行人生 |
[19:51] | filled with debased violence and mayhem, and fear, and death. | 充满了暴力 混乱 恐惧和死亡 |
[19:57] | it certainly seems to me like you had your own unusual… | 在我看来你显然有一套不寻常的… |
[20:03] | An unusual MO. Oh, sure. | 不寻常的作案手法 当然 |
[20:06] | Well, I was gonna say… | 我本来想说的是… |
[20:09] | signature. | 特色 |
[20:10] | An oeuvre, if you will. | 一套作品 可以这么说 |
[20:13] | You could study it. | 你可以研究研究 |
[20:17] | You can spell oeuvre, can’t you, Holden? | 你会拼写”作品”的吧 霍顿 |
[20:21] | You know, there’s a lot more like me. | 其实还有很多像我这样的人 |
[20:26] | Do you think so? | 你这么认为吗 |
[20:28] | People that kill in sequence like you did? | 像你这样依次杀人的人 |
[20:29] | – Sequence? – One right after another. | -依次 -一个接一个 |
[20:32] | At regular intervals. | 规律的时间间隔 |
[20:33] | I’ve just been calling them… | 我一直叫这种人 |
[20:36] | “Sequence killers”… | “连续杀人犯” |
[20:38] | if you will. | 可以这么说 |
[20:40] | – How many would you say? – Well… | -你觉得有多少人 -嗯… |
[20:44] | it would be a guess, | 只是猜测 |
[20:46] | but I’d say right now… | 不过我觉得目前 |
[20:51] | North America, more than 35. | 在北美有超过35个 |
[20:53] | Thirty-five? | 35个 |
[20:55] | But you’re never gonna find them | 但如果他们自己不想 |
[20:56] | if they don’t want you to. Not even close. | 你永远都找不到他们 连边都沾不到 |
[21:00] | That can’t be right. | 这不可能 |
[21:01] | Well, Holden, I’m not an expert. I’m not an authority. | 霍顿 我不是专家 也不是权威 |
[21:05] | I’m just an extremely accomplished murderer | 我只是一个手段极其高超 |
[21:08] | who spent my adult life successfully evading capture… | 一生都成功避开了警察的追捕 |
[21:13] | until I gave myself up because I despaired of ever being caught. | 最后因为太想被抓到才自首的杀人犯而已 |
[21:19] | So take it or leave it. | 信不信随你 |
[21:22] | What do you want from me? | 你想从我这得到什么 |
[21:26] | I have no idea. | 我不知道 |
[21:28] | His oeuvre? | 他的作品全集 |
[21:30] | What the fuck? He’s Stanley Kubrick? | 搞什么 他以为他是斯坦利·库布里克吗 |
[21:32] | He was extremely talkative. | 他非常健谈 |
[21:34] | He likes talking to cops. | 他喜欢跟警察聊天 |
[21:36] | He’s lonely. He could do it all day. | 他很孤独 他可以这么聊上一整天 |
[21:38] | He’s not some frenzied thrill killer, Bill. | 他不是什么狂暴的变态杀手 比尔 |
[21:41] | I think we need to face that. | 我觉得我们得接受这件事 |
[21:43] | He chopped off women’s heads and had sex with their corpses. | 他砍女人的头 还奸尸 |
[21:46] | If that’s not frenzied, I don’t know what is. | 如果那都不算狂暴那怎样才算 |
[21:48] | He is so articulate. | 他的条理是那么清晰 |
[21:50] | He’s meticulous and highly intelligent. | 他非常细致 非常聪明 |
[21:54] | Yeah, he meticulously chose small, | 是啊 他细致地选择了小个 |
[21:57] | young, female prey who couldn’t fight back. | 年轻的女性 因为她们无法反抗 |
[21:59] | Animal cunning. | 像动物一样狡猾 |
[22:01] | He’s self-aware and objective. | 他自我认知非常清楚 非常客观 |
[22:03] | Isn’t that highly unusual? | 这不是很不寻常吗 |
[22:04] | He’s saying everything you want to hear, | 他只是在说你想听到的而已 |
[22:05] | just like he did with the shrinks in the institution. | 就像他对精神病院的医生所做的一样 |
[22:08] | He knew just enough to talk his way out, then went hunting. | 他知道怎么说才能蒙混过关 之后就开始寻找猎物 |
[22:11] | Don’t be stupid about this. | 别犯傻了 |
[22:12] | What makes you so sure I’m being stupid? | 你凭什么这么确定是我犯傻 |
[22:14] | I know these fuckers. | 我了解这种混蛋 |
[22:15] | It’s only a matter of time before he hits you up for privileges. | 不用多久他就会向你提要求了 |
[22:18] | Next thing you know, he’s complaining to the warden… | 之后他就会向典狱长投诉… |
[22:20] | Come with me next weekend. | 下周末和我一起去吧 |
[22:21] | – See for yourself. – No, I’m not gonna do that. | -亲眼看看 -不 我不会去的 |
[22:24] | You’re just going to play golf? | 你就去打高尔夫吗 |
[22:27] | It helps me think clearly. You might want to try it. | 那有助于我清晰地思考 你可以试试 |
[22:32] | Oh, yeah. Up a little. | 好爽 上去一点 |
[22:38] | – Over a little. Left. – My left or your left? | -进去一点 往左 -你的左边还是我的左边 |
[22:41] | My left. | 我的左边 |
[22:45] | This okay? | 这样可以吗 |
[22:46] | It’s fine. What’s wrong? | 可以 怎么了 |
[22:48] | – You want a break? – Why would I want a break? | -你要休息一下吗 -我为什么会想要休息 |
[22:50] | – That’s not how it works. – All right. | -这事不是这么来的 -好吧 |
[22:52] | You want me to throw in something? Play with your nipples? | 想让我再加些什么招吗 比如玩弄下你的乳头 |
[22:56] | – Why? – Move it along. | -为什么 -提提兴致 |
[22:57] | – You’re doing great. Just stop stopping. – Okay. | -你做得很好 别停下 -好吧 |
[23:03] | He knows more about lust murder | 他对淫乐杀人的了解 |
[23:05] | than the whole FBI Behavioral Science Unit. | 比整个联调局行为科学部还多 |
[23:07] | – We should put him on the payroll. – Would the FBI ever do that? | -我们真应该聘请他 -联调局真会这么做吗 |
[23:10] | Doubtful. | 深表怀疑 |
[23:11] | Everyone’s freaked out that Berkowitz might sell his life story. | 伯科威茨要出自传 把所有人都吓坏了 |
[23:14] | New York State is moving to make that sort of thing illegal. | 纽约州正打算立法禁止这种事 |
[23:17] | It’d be awful for the families of the victims. | 这对受害者的家人来说太糟糕了 |
[23:19] | – What can I get you? – Hi. | -需要什么 -你好 |
[23:21] | can I get two eggs over medium, | 我要两个半熟煎蛋 |
[23:23] | home-fried potatoes, and wheat toast with grape jelly? | 自烤马铃薯和小麦吐司 加葡萄果冻 |
[23:27] | And for you? | 你呢 |
[23:29] | – I’ll just have an Ed salad sandwich… – A what? | -我就要一个艾德沙拉三明治 -什么 |
[23:30] | An egg salad sandwich. Thank you. | 鸡蛋沙拉三明治 谢谢 |
[23:33] | Holden, you don’t even like egg salad. | 霍顿 你根本就不喜欢鸡蛋沙拉 |
[23:35] | – Thank you. – Right. Um… | -谢谢 -也是… |
[23:38] | I’ll just have a Denver omelet. | 给我来份丹佛煎蛋饼吧 |
[23:41] | You’ve got mention-itis. You cannot stop mentioning him. | 你真是停不下来了 老是提起他 |
[23:44] | Think of how much we can learn from a guy like Kemper. | 想想我们能从坎伯那种人身上学到多少东西 |
[23:48] | He called it a vocation. | 他把他的所为称作使命 |
[23:50] | – Killing women? – Yeah. | -杀害女性吗 -是的 |
[23:51] | Jesus. How do you wrap your mind around that? | 老天爷 你是怎么理解的 |
[23:55] | Couldn’t attract them. | 无法吸引女性 |
[23:56] | Didn’t have the social skills. | 缺乏社交技巧 |
[23:58] | That would describe a lot of guys. | 很多男人都那样 |
[24:01] | Why does he hate women? | 他为什么恨女性 |
[24:03] | I should ask. | 我该问问他 |
[24:04] | – But not outright. – No? | -别问得那么直白 -为什么 |
[24:07] | He sounds like the kind of person | 他像是那种 |
[24:08] | who would tell you what you wanna hear. | 你想听什么他就说什么的人 |
[24:11] | – You have to disarm him first. – You mean, like… | -你要先让他放松警惕 -你是说 比如 |
[24:15] | – What? – Ask him questions about himself. | -什么 -问他一些关于他自己的问题 |
[24:18] | Lean into him, listen intently. | 身体靠近他 仔细听 |
[24:21] | – I do that. – Keep your arms uncrossed. | -我是那样做的 -不要交叉双臂 |
[24:25] | Mirror his movements. | 模仿他的一举一动 |
[24:28] | Encourage him to talk about the things he’s excited about. | 鼓励他说那些让他兴奋的事 |
[24:31] | Are these feminine wiles? | 这些都是女性的伎俩吗 |
[24:33] | Cross your legs in his direction. | 朝着他的方向把双腿交叉 |
[24:36] | – Do you really do that? – But don’t touch him. | -你真的会那样做吗 -但别碰他 |
[24:40] | You want him to like you, | 你要让他喜欢你 |
[24:42] | but you don’t want him to think you’re gonna fuck him. | 但不要让他觉得你会睡他 |
[24:47] | Look at your face. | 看看你的表情 |
[24:58] | Here’s the thing. | 是这样的 |
[25:00] | I spent five years as a brick agent | 我当了五年的协助探员 |
[25:02] | and a couple of years at the academy. | 又在学校待了几年 |
[25:04] | I’m squeaky clean. | 我品行完美 |
[25:05] | I’m Eliot Ness. I’m… | 我就像艾略特·尼斯 我… |
[25:05] | 美国上世纪三四十年代 芝加哥著名的禁酒探员 | |
[25:07] | You’re Melvin Purvis, G-MAN. | 你就像联调局的梅尔文·珀维斯 |
[25:09] | Exactly. | 正是 |
[25:10] | And back then, no skirt in the FBI. | 那时候 联调局还没有女性 |
[25:12] | No women, just men. | 没有女人 只有男人 |
[25:14] | Then I enroll in college, | 然后我上大学了 |
[25:15] | and suddenly, I am Warren fucking Beatty. | 突然之间 我成了沃伦·比蒂那样的人 |
[25:15] | 好莱坞著名花花公子 演员导演编剧及制片人 | |
[25:19] | Everything goes. | 如鱼得水 |
[25:21] | – You take sugar? – No. | -加糖吗 -不用了 |
[25:22] | – Cool. Milk? – Thank you. | -好 加牛奶 -谢了 |
[25:24] | You got it, man. | 不客气 兄弟 |
[25:25] | Suddenly it’s disco and poppers, | 突然间生活就被迪斯科 催情剂 |
[25:27] | and fern bars. | 还有常绿酒吧围绕 |
[25:28] | I am up to my neck in chicks. | 我每天忙着约妹子 |
[25:30] | Pussy, pussy, pussy. I hear that. | 沉迷女色 我同意 |
[25:32] | It turns out chicks do really dig a guy with a badge. | 事实证明妹子们确实对警察很着迷 |
[25:36] | “Gas, grass, or ass. Nobody rides for free.” | “不管是谁 没有免费的午餐” |
[25:39] | Next thing I know, I’m with a 24-year-old that I met in a bar. | 然后我和在酒吧遇到的一个24岁姑娘在一起了 |
[25:42] | No woman has ever been so into me in my entire life. | 这辈子都没见过像她那样喜欢我的女人了 |
[25:45] | Don’t brag. It’s unbecoming. | 别炫耀了 这样不得体 |
[25:47] | – Oh, my God. I am so sorry. – I’m kidding. | -天呐 抱歉 -我开玩笑的 |
[25:51] | Man… | 我的天 |
[25:54] | the things she comes up with in the sack. | 她床上花招很多 |
[25:56] | You gotta love that young pussy. | 你肯定爱死那年轻的肉体了 |
[25:59] | I do. I really fucking do. | 是啊 真的很爱 |
[26:01] | You gotta make it with that young pussy real quick | 你得在嫩逼老了前 |
[26:04] | before it turns into Mom. | 尝尝它的鲜 |
[26:08] | Yeah. | 是啊 |
[26:11] | So you were a virgin up until then, that’s what you’re saying? | 这么说来 你在遇到她之前是处男吗 |
[26:15] | – No, not at all. – Oh, you go over like you’re a virgin. | -不 才不是 -你说得像你是个处男一样 |
[26:19] | – What? – What’s wrong with that? | -什么 -处男怎么了 |
[26:20] | I was a virgin for years. | 我守了好多年的处子之身 |
[26:22] | Oh, no, there’s nothing wrong with it, it’s just I’m… not. | 不 没什么问题 只是我…我不是 |
[26:27] | This new girl, she take it up the ass? | 这个新处的对象 愿意肛交吗 |
[26:33] | We haven’t really discussed it. | 我们还没聊过这个 |
[26:35] | Ask her. | 问问她 |
[26:36] | An asshole will suck your cock right in, literally. | 菊花真的能让你的屌爽上天 |
[26:40] | It’s like a hole that sucks. | 就像一个有吸力的洞 |
[26:42] | It’s easy. | 挺容易的 |
[26:44] | But when you fuck somebody in the neck, | 但当你口爆别人时 |
[26:46] | it’s entirely the opposite. | 情况就大不相同了 |
[26:47] | It’s nothing but resistance. It’s really difficult. | 阻力很大 真的很困难 |
[26:51] | Let me. | 让我来示范 |
[26:53] | You feel this? | 感受到了吗 |
[26:54] | Feel it. It’s all muscle. | 感受下 全是肌肉 |
[26:56] | Cartilaginous. | 软骨 |
[27:02] | Is this interesting? | 这话题你喜欢吗 |
[27:03] | – Oh, yeah. – Because I can skip some of the detail. | -嗯 -我可以略去一些细节 |
[27:08] | No, I’m here for the detail. | 我来这儿就是想听细节的 |
[27:10] | A major college campus. | 一个大学校园 |
[27:13] | It’s like a giant candy store, you know what I mean. | 就像个巨大的糖果铺 你知道我什么意思 |
[27:16] | Right. | 没错 |
[27:18] | Your, uh, your mom | 你的妈妈 |
[27:20] | worked on campus at UCSC, right? | 以前在加州大学圣克鲁斯分校工作 是吧 |
[27:24] | Remind me again what she did. | 她做什么工作来着 |
[27:29] | – Administrative assistant. – Right. | -行政助理 -对 |
[27:35] | That’s all she lived for, man, her work and her precious coeds, | 那是她的全部 她的工作和她的宝贝女大学生 |
[27:38] | whom she mothered relentlessly. | 她不知疲倦地照顾她们 |
[27:41] | Do you think that she neglected you for them? | 你觉得她因为她们而忽视了你吗 |
[27:44] | Put it this way, | 这么说吧 |
[27:45] | she had a very violently outspoken position on men. | 她对男人有很深的敌意 |
[27:51] | She had a failed marriage with my father. | 她和我爸有一段失败的婚姻 |
[27:53] | I looked a lot like him, so… | 我长得很像他 所以… |
[27:56] | You reminded her of him. | 你让她想起了他 |
[28:00] | Do you think you developed a dislike for young women as a result? | 你觉得你是因此才讨厌年轻女性的吗 |
[28:04] | As far as she was concerned, | 在她看来 |
[28:06] | I was never going to end up with one of those girls | 我永远都不可能跟那种女生在一起 |
[28:10] | because I was a fuckup and an embarrassment. | 因为我是个败类 让她难堪 |
[28:12] | – You were a failure in her eyes. – Look. | -你在她眼中是个失败者 -听着 |
[28:15] | My mother was a decent, upstanding, reasonable woman, | 我妈妈是个有教养 正直 通情达理的女人 |
[28:19] | but when it came to me, | 但她对我 |
[28:22] | she had nothing but contempt, | 只有蔑视 |
[28:24] | disappointment, and disdain. | 失望和鄙视 |
[28:28] | That must’ve been awful. | 那感觉一定很糟糕 |
[28:31] | Well, here’s the thing. | 问题是这样 |
[28:37] | I’m listening. | 我在听 |
[28:42] | Women are born with this little hole between their legs… | 女人一出生两腿间就长着那个洞 |
[28:47] | which every man on earth just wants to stick something into. | 每个男人都想往里面插点什么 |
[28:52] | And they’re weaker than men, | 她们比男人脆弱 |
[28:55] | so they learn strategies. | 所以就学会使用策略 |
[28:57] | They deploy their minds and their sex, | 她们利用头脑和性爱 |
[29:00] | and they intuitively learn to humiliate. | 不知不觉就学会了羞辱 |
[29:06] | Did your mother humiliate you? | 你母亲羞辱你了吗 |
[29:14] | Ed? | 艾德 |
[29:36] | Lust murder doesn’t cut it. | 淫乐杀人并不相符 |
[29:38] | He did not stab, and rape, | 他不是因为性欲 |
[29:40] | and decapitate Mom because he was aroused. | 才捅死 强奸并且斩首他母亲 |
[29:42] | He was conditioned to do it. | 他是被调教成那样的 |
[29:44] | – Did he say that? – As good as. | -他这么说的吗 -差不多吧 |
[29:47] | It’s schtick. | 这是把戏 |
[29:48] | He learned the vernacular in the institution. | 他在监狱学会了话术 |
[29:50] | He’s sophisticated enough to use it. | 他足够聪明来运用这些技巧 |
[29:51] | No, that’s not my instinct. | 不 我直觉不是这样的 |
[29:53] | Is it your instinct he was choosing words carefully | 你的直觉告诉你他是在谨慎措辞 |
[29:55] | – or did he just spew it out? – Very carefully. | -还是随口乱说 -非常谨慎 |
[29:57] | He’s got you pegged. | 他把你唬住了 |
[29:59] | He’s telling you what he’s guessed you want to hear. | 他在说你可能想听到的话 |
[30:01] | – But why would I want to hear that? – Because you’re you. | -我为什么想听这些 -因为你自己 |
[30:04] | You told him about your university education, | 你告诉了他你在大学接受的教育 |
[30:06] | and your sassy girlfriend, and your sensitive character, | 你风骚的女友 还有敏感的个性 |
[30:09] | and he tailored his bullshit to fit. | 他为你修饰了他的故事 |
[30:12] | – Why did you tell him that stuff? – To loosen him up. | -你为什么要告诉他这些 -让他放松警惕 |
[30:16] | Why do you feel the need to tell him about your girlfriend? | 你为什么会觉得需要告诉他你女友的事 |
[30:19] | Just to get him talking. | 让他开口 |
[30:20] | Holden, he’s had seven years in a correctional facility. | 霍顿 他已经服刑七年了 |
[30:23] | He’s been practicing. Don’t encourage him. | 一直在练习 别纵容了他 |
[30:25] | – I was trying to disarm him. – You’re a federal agent. | -我是想让他放下戒备 -你是名联邦探员 |
[30:27] | Don’t give him anything. He’s your subject. Be objective. | 别给他交底 他是你的目标 客观点 |
[30:30] | I’ve gotta trust my instincts on this. | 这件事我必须相信直觉 |
[30:32] | There’s that word again. | 又来了 |
[30:33] | So in Fairfield, Iowa you were in the Dark Ages, | 在爱荷华州那会 你还一筹莫展 |
[30:35] | and now suddenly, you have all these unimpeachable instincts? | 现在突然就有了这些可靠的直觉了 |
[30:39] | Well, it’s been a process. | 这是个过程 |
[30:40] | Okay, look, there’s no doubt whatever happened in there | 好吧 听着 不管在监狱发生了什么 |
[30:43] | was a profound experience for you, | 那肯定是一次深刻的经历 |
[30:45] | but I need you to understand that whatever you think, | 但你得明白 不管你怎么认为 |
[30:47] | there is a distinct possibility that he’s manipulating you. | 他都很有可能在操纵你 |
[31:49] | It’s not my fault. | 这不怪我 |
[32:23] | Gentleman, I’m Detective Roy Carver. | 先生们 我是罗伊·卡弗警探 |
[32:26] | Listen, I was a little late for the presentation, | 听着 刚才授课我到的有点晚 |
[32:27] | but that was just great. | 不过棒极了 |
[32:29] | – Well, thank you very much. – Glad to be of service. | -谢谢你 -乐意效劳 |
[32:31] | Listen, before you go, I was hoping I could ask you something. | 听着 离开之前 我想请你们帮个忙 |
[32:34] | I know you’re not just here to teach. | 我知道你们来不止是为了教课 |
[32:37] | – No, we really just teach, Roy. – Pretty much all we focus on. | -不 我们只是来教课 罗伊 -差不多 |
[32:40] | I was hoping I could get you | 我希望能让你们 |
[32:41] | to take a look at something a little, uh… | 看个不太寻常的… |
[32:44] | unusual. | 案件 |
[32:47] | Oh, sure thing. | 没问题 |
[32:52] | Her name’s Rosemary Gonzales, 73 years old. | 她叫罗斯玛丽·冈萨雷斯 73岁 |
[32:55] | Her husband died of cancer so she sold the family farm in Chico, | 丈夫死于癌症 所以她卖了奇科的家庭农场 |
[32:58] | moved to Sacramento to be closer to the grandkids. | 搬到外孙们所在的萨克拉门托 |
[33:03] | Two weeks ago, we find her beaten within an inch of her life | 两周前 她在自家屋后的过道 |
[33:06] | in a doorway to her back porch. | 被人打到奄奄一息 |
[33:07] | She hasn’t been robbed. | 财物没有损失 |
[33:09] | She’s been groped and assaulted but not penetrated, | 她被摸和猥亵了 但没有被插入 |
[33:11] | and the little dog’s throat’s been cut. | 小狗喉咙被割断 |
[33:16] | Was the dog killed because it was protecting her? | 狗是因为保护她而死吗 |
[33:18] | Or for some other reason? | 还是其他原因 |
[33:20] | That I don’t know. But it’s interesting. | 还不清楚 不过这点很有意思 |
[33:22] | Why didn’t he stab her? | 嫌犯怎么没刺伤她 |
[33:24] | Didn’t have the nerve? | 没胆量吗 |
[33:26] | I don’t think some Latino | 持刀的拉美佬 |
[33:27] | with a shiv got scared of a little old lady. | 应该不会怕瘦弱的老太太吧 |
[33:29] | Why do you say that? Why do you say “Latino” like that? | 为什么这么说 为什么说是”拉美佬” |
[33:32] | That’s the neighborhood, spics and blacks. | 附近住的都是西裔和黑人 |
[33:34] | Did she identify anybody of that ethnicity? | 她指认该人种的嫌犯了吗 |
[33:36] | No. She was hovering in and out of a coma for the past ten days. | 没有 她过去十天一直神志不清 |
[33:40] | Now she’s finally come around, | 现在终于清醒过来 |
[33:41] | she has no recollection whatsoever. | 对发生的事不记得了 |
[33:43] | You think it’s about a little dog? | 你认为是因为那条狗吗 |
[33:45] | Scottish Terriers can be loud. Their bark… | 苏格兰梗有时确实会吵 叫声… |
[33:48] | – Could be annoying. – Listen… | -会很烦人 -听着 |
[33:51] | we need to know exactly how worried we need to be. | 我们得弄清到底需不需要为这个案子担心 |
[34:32] | My husband would’ve cried to see me like this. | 我丈夫要是见到我这个样子肯定会哭出来 |
[34:36] | Me, I don’t cry. I’m tough. | 而我不哭 我很坚强 |
[34:40] | But he was just like a baby. | 但他就像个婴儿一样 |
[34:44] | It would’ve destroyed his faith in humanity. | 这会让他失去对人性的信任 |
[34:48] | What did I ever do? | 我做错了什么 |
[34:51] | Who would do such a thing? | 谁会做出这种事 |
[34:55] | I never hurt a soul. | 我从没伤害过别人 |
[34:57] | I don’t have any enemies. | 也没有仇家 |
[35:00] | I don’t dress like a whore. | 不会像妓女一样穿得花枝招展 |
[35:03] | – I’m an old lady… – Está bien. | -我只是个老太太 -别激动 |
[35:06] | Let me ask you something. | 我问你点事 |
[35:09] | Did your dog ever bite anyone? | 你养的狗咬过人吗 |
[35:11] | Never. | 没有 |
[35:12] | Ever bother anyone by barking? Any complaints from neighbors? | 乱叫打扰过别人吗 有没有邻居抱怨过 |
[35:15] | No. He was very well-behaved. | 没有 它可老实了 |
[35:21] | Who cuts the grass, Rosie? | 谁修剪的草坪 罗斯 |
[35:22] | Who helps you take care of the yard? | 谁帮你打理院子 |
[35:24] | I have all sorts of help. Kids mostly. | 许多人帮我 大部分是孩子 |
[35:27] | Which kids? | 什么孩子 |
[35:29] | Just local kids. | 附近的孩子 |
[35:31] | It’s a very close community. | 这个社区大家都很亲近 |
[35:33] | And you didn’t recognize your assailant? He wasn’t familiar? | 你没认出袭击你的人吗 不是熟人吗 |
[35:37] | I just don’t remember. | 我不记得了 |
[35:41] | Do you have kids? | 你有儿女吗 |
[35:42] | Two daughters. | 两个女儿 |
[35:44] | Married? | 结婚了吗 |
[35:46] | The eldest is divorced. Dios mío. | 老大已经离婚了 上帝保佑 |
[35:50] | The younger I don’t see that often. | 小的我不常见到 |
[35:52] | Can you remember anything else? | 你还记得其他任何事吗 |
[35:54] | Was he big, little? | 他是大块头 还是小个子 |
[35:56] | Do you remember any moles, scars, tattoos, distinctive marks? | 你记不记得他有痣 疤 文身或其他明显的特征 |
[36:00] | I remember moonlight. | 我记得月光 |
[36:03] | And… | 还有 |
[36:07] | I do remember a smell. | 我记得一股味儿 |
[36:10] | What kind of smell? | 什么样的味儿 |
[36:12] | I don’t know, he just… | 我不知道 他… |
[36:16] | – He stank. – Like what? | -他很臭 -什么样的臭 |
[36:19] | Grease or gasoline, fertilizer? | 油脂 汽油 化肥 |
[36:21] | Like a bum. | 像流浪汉 |
[36:22] | Like somebody who needed to wash. | 像需要洗澡的人 |
[36:25] | Seventeen, eighteen-year-old high school kid, | 17 18岁的高中生 |
[36:28] | low self-esteem, hates authority, | 自尊低 仇视权威 |
[36:31] | doesn’t get along well with his parents. | 跟父母相处得不好 |
[36:34] | What, just some punk? | 就是个臭小子吗 |
[36:35] | Gets into a fight with his old man one night, | 有一晚跟老爸起了争执 |
[36:37] | maybe he gets a hold of a bottle of liquor | 或许他还喝了酒 |
[36:39] | and comes across the house, recognizes the place | 他走到了一栋房子前 认出了那地方 |
[36:43] | because he cut the grass there when he was younger. | 因为他小一些时曾在那里修剪草坪 |
[36:46] | – Some neighborhood kid? – He goes inside. | -邻居的小孩吗 -他走了进去 |
[36:48] | She doesn’t recognize him, | 她没认出他 |
[36:50] | thinks he’s broken in, and starts yelling. | 以为他是闯了进来 就大吼起来 |
[36:52] | The fight gets physical. | 两人发生肢体冲突 |
[36:54] | He’s drunk, he beats the shit out of her. | 他喝醉了 把她打了个半死 |
[36:58] | He knifes the dog because the dog is yapping its head off. | 他杀了狗是因为狗在拼命地叫 |
[37:03] | And then he runs. | 然后就跑了 |
[37:05] | Are you guys serious? A teenager? | 你们是认真的吗 一个少年 |
[37:07] | He has bad hygiene. | 他不怎么注意卫生 |
[37:09] | Doesn’t bathe because bathing is what his parents want. | 不洗澡 因为他父母老让他洗澡 |
[37:13] | Look, we got a lot of kids like that around here. | 这样的孩子这一带很多 |
[37:17] | But what kind of degenerate carves up a little dog? | 但什么样的下流货会杀狗啊 |
[37:20] | Maybe the kid saw the dog in the yard, | 或许那孩子看到了前院的狗 |
[37:22] | decided to conduct a moonlight experiment | 就决定在月光下拿他的 |
[37:24] | with his Bowie knife, gets interrupted. | 猎刀做个实验 却被打断了 |
[37:27] | A careful, considerate old lady would bring her dog in at night. | 小心周到的老妇人晚上会把狗带回家的 |
[37:30] | She went outside with the dog because she heard something. | 她听到了动静 才带着狗出屋了 |
[37:34] | Listen. | 听着 |
[37:35] | It was a harvest moon. | 当时是满月 |
[37:38] | We have been tossing the idea around | 我们在考虑 |
[37:40] | that maybe it’s one of these, uh… | 可能是… |
[37:42] | you know, satanic deals. | 撒旦崇拜什么的 |
[37:44] | You know, like maybe the dog | 或许狗是 |
[37:45] | is some kind of ritual sacrifice or something. | 仪式性祭祀什么的 |
[37:49] | Check. | 买单 |
[37:53] | You need to squeeze the neighborhood kids. | 你得去审问邻居的孩子 |
[37:55] | One of them knows something. | 他们中有人知情 |
[37:57] | We had a kid like that, brought him in for questioning twice. | 我们有个那样的孩子 找他来问两次话了 |
[37:59] | Bring him in again. | 再找他一次 |
[38:01] | We’re gonna get pushback from the family. | 他家人会给我们阻力的 |
[38:02] | His aunt works for the county. | 他姑妈在县政府工作 |
[38:04] | – Then make it formal. – I’m probably gonna need a warrant. | -那就正式逮捕 -我大概会需要逮捕令的 |
[38:07] | We might be able to help you with that. | 我们或许能帮忙 |
[38:16] | Fuck! | 该死 |
[38:19] | Nancy’s gonna kill me. We can’t get a flight till Sunday. | 南茜会杀了我的 周日前都没有飞机 |
[38:27] | – Maybe this kid’s like Kemper. – We have to get a room. | -或许这孩子就像坎伯 -我们得开间房 |
[38:29] | I can take care of the room. | 我可以去开房 |
[38:31] | We can turn this into an opportunity. | 我们可以把这变成个机会 |
[38:32] | It could help with the Gonzales case. | 对冈萨雷斯案也会有帮助 |
[38:34] | I can’t believe I’m stuck with you. | 我居然跟你困在这儿了 |
[38:36] | – We can talk to Kemper. – No! | -我们可以去找坎伯聊聊 -不 |
[38:38] | – I’m gonna play golf. – Come with me. | -我要去打高尔夫 -跟我来吧 |
[38:40] | I’m not consulting with Ed Kemper. | 我才不要去咨询艾德·坎伯 |
[38:42] | Not to consult. Just background. | 不是咨询 只是背景调查 |
[38:44] | When did his behavior escalate? | 他的行为是何时开始升级的 |
[38:46] | You can’t stay away from that motherfucker, can you? | 你就是忍不住不去找那个操他娘的混蛋 是吧 |
[38:48] | No, please. Don’t say “motherfucker.” | 拜托 别说”操他娘” |
[38:51] | You know that he’ll respond to your seniority. | 你知道他会对你的年纪有回应 |
[38:53] | – You could really smoke him out. – No, not now. | -你可以让他说出实话的 -不 现在不行 |
[38:56] | We’re stuck here all weekend. What else are you gonna do? | 我们周末只能困在这儿了 你还能做什么 |
[39:01] | I said forget about it, man. | 我说别指望了 |
[39:14] | So, you’re the big boss, right? | 你是大老板啊 |
[39:18] | Well, I established the Behavioral Science Unit years ago, | 我几年前成立了行为科学部 |
[39:21] | but Holden’s come in with a lot of new ideas. | 但霍顿带来了很多新想法 |
[39:24] | So Holden’s the intrepid rookie investigator? | 霍顿是无畏的菜鸟调查员咯 |
[39:27] | Bill taught me everything I know about criminal behavior. | 我了解的关于犯罪行为的一切都是比尔教的 |
[39:30] | Is that right? Well, let me ask you something, Bill. | 是吗 那我问问你 比尔 |
[39:33] | What do you think about Joseph Wambaugh? | 你怎么看乔瑟夫·万巴 |
[39:36] | He knows Joe. Right, Bill? | 他认识乔 是吧 比尔 |
[39:39] | Well… | 嗯 |
[39:40] | Actually, he based a lot of that stuff on Bill. | 其实 比尔是他一个重要的原型人物 |
[39:45] | No shit. | 我去 |
[39:47] | Not the, uh, stories, | 不是故事本身 |
[39:49] | but the psychological insights and the vernacular. | 而是心理学的视角和术语 |
[39:52] | Yeah. | 没错 |
[39:54] | That is fascinating. | 太有意思了 |
[39:56] | I sure would love to pick your brain sometime. | 我真想哪天能听听你的想法[肢解你的大脑] |
[39:59] | Well, that’s another life sentence right there. | 那又得再判个无期了 |
[40:02] | Maybe you could, uh… | 或许你可以 |
[40:03] | talk about your background a little bit with Bill. | 跟比尔聊聊你的背景 |
[40:06] | Maybe tell him the thing that you told me the other day | 或许跟他说说你那天告诉我的事 |
[40:10] | about your mother. | 关于你妈妈的 |
[40:13] | My mother. | 我妈妈 |
[40:18] | Well, you see, Bill, | 你瞧 比尔 |
[40:21] | even as a child, I had kind of a rich fantasy life. | 我小时候 就有丰富的幻想 |
[40:26] | As a teenager, I began by cutting up inanimate objects. | 少年时 我开始切割无生命的物体 |
[40:30] | G.I. Joe. My sister’s dolls. | 大兵手办 我妹妹的娃娃 |
[40:32] | Ripping their heads off, cutting up the bodies. | 我扯下它们的脑袋 切开它们的身体 |
[40:35] | Mutilating them, if you will. | 可以说是残害它们 |
[40:38] | You had fantasies of what, real women? | 你幻想什么 真正的女人吗 |
[40:40] | Oh, yeah. | 是的 |
[40:41] | And my mother would yell and scream at me, tell me I was sick. | 我妈妈会吼我 说我有病 |
[40:45] | She thought I was going to do something hideous one day. | 她觉得我有一天会做出可怕的事 |
[40:49] | What did she think you were gonna do? | 她以为你会做什么 |
[40:50] | I guess rape my sister or something. | 大概是强奸我妹妹什么的 |
[40:54] | This is when I was ten years old. | 这是我10岁的时候 |
[40:58] | Nice. | 厉害 |
[40:59] | Not exactly The Brady Bunch. | 可不像《脱线家族》那么和谐 |
[41:01] | Why do you think she thought this? | 你觉得她为什么会那么想 |
[41:03] | Because she was fucking nuts. | 因为她疯了 |
[41:05] | – You didn’t do anything to frighten her? – She frightened me. | -你没做什么吓到她的事吗 -她让我害怕 |
[41:08] | She’d make me sleep on a dirty old mattress in the basement. | 她会逼我睡在地下室一张脏兮兮的旧床垫上 |
[41:12] | Lock the door. Ten years old. | 还锁上门 我才10岁 |
[41:15] | So then it became dogs and cats, strangling them, | 后来演变成了猫和狗 勒死它们 |
[41:18] | burying them in the backyard. | 把它们埋在后院 |
[41:20] | Hold on. Sorry. | 等等 抱歉 |
[41:25] | Just to vent. | 只是为了发泄 |
[41:27] | You know what I’m saying? Classic displacement activity. | 懂吧 典型的替换活动 |
[41:31] | Because it was my retreat from the insanity of the world. | 因为那是我逃离疯狂世界的办法 |
[41:36] | – Then, you see… – Sorry. Wait a minute. | -然后 -抱歉 等一下 |
[41:37] | Sorry, guys. | 真抱歉 |
[41:43] | Is that why your mother sent you away? | 所以你妈妈才把你送走吗 |
[41:46] | In the end, I ran away to live with my father, | 最终 我跑去跟我爸爸住 |
[41:49] | but he didn’t want me either. | 但他也不想要我 |
[41:51] | So they packed me off to live with my grandma. | 所以他们让我收拾东西去跟我奶奶住 |
[41:54] | She thought I was a freak. | 她觉得我是个怪胎 |
[41:56] | Is that why you shot her? | 所以你才打死了她吗 |
[41:58] | Well, they were both very controlling, | 她们都是控制欲强 |
[42:00] | aggressive, matriarchal women. | 咄咄逼人 女家长式的女人 |
[42:02] | – Matriarchal? – Female-centric. | -女家长式 -自我为中心的女性 |
[42:04] | Get that down. That’s a big antecedent. | 记下来 这是个重要的前缀词 |
[42:07] | What happened after that? | 那之后呢 |
[42:09] | I was put in a fucking mental institution. | 我被关进了一家精神病院 |
[42:12] | I was 15. | 我才15岁 |
[42:13] | I was 21 years old when I came out. | 21岁时 我出院了 |
[42:16] | All those years when other kids | 那些年里 其他孩子 |
[42:17] | were having their sexual revolution, | 都在进行性革命 |
[42:20] | I was locked in a room. | 我却被锁在房间里 |
[42:22] | You remember the whole flower power, | 你记得爱情与和平的权力那档子事吧 |
[42:24] | college girls into love and peace? | 大学女生倡导爱与和平 |
[42:28] | Physically, I wasn’t impotent, but emotionally I was. | 虽然我的身体并非性无能 但情感上却是 |
[42:34] | Because of the way I was conditioned by Mom, | 那是因为我母亲的调教 |
[42:37] | right? Like you said. | 是吧 就像你说的 |
[42:39] | – Conditioned? – Right. | -调教 -是的 |
[42:42] | You see, Bill, | 你瞧 比尔 |
[42:44] | I knew a week before she died I was gonna kill her. | 她死前一周 我就知道我要杀她 |
[42:49] | She went out to a party, she got soused, she came home alone. | 她去参加一个派对了 喝醉了一个人回来的 |
[42:54] | I asked her how her evening went. She just looked at me. | 我问她 她晚上过得如何 她就看我 |
[42:59] | She said, “For seven years.” | 说 “七年了” |
[43:02] | She said, “I haven’t had sex with a man | 她说 “我已经七年没跟男人做爱了 |
[43:04] | because of you, my murderous son.” | 就因为你 我的杀人犯儿子” |
[43:12] | So I got a claw hammer and I beat her to death. | 于是我拿了把羊角锤 把她打死了 |
[43:17] | Then I cut her head off. | 然后我砍下了她的头 |
[43:23] | And I humiliated her. | 然后我羞辱了她 |
[43:30] | And I said, “There. Now you’ve had sex.” | 我说 “好了 这下你做爱了” |
[43:37] | If there’s one thing I know, it’s this: | 如果说我知道什么 那就是 |
[43:42] | A mother should not scorn her own son. | 一个母亲不该鄙视她的儿子 |
[43:46] | If a woman humiliates her little boy, | 如果一个女人羞辱她年幼的儿子 |
[43:48] | he will become hostile, and violent, and debased. Period. | 他会变得敌意 暴力 下作 就这样 |
[44:03] | Ladies and gentlemen, we’ve reached our cruising altitude… | 女士们先生们 我们已达到巡航高度 |
[44:07] | – I think we need to talk. – Now do you see? | -我们得谈谈 -你现在明白了吧 |
[44:09] | I need to speak to Shepard. Tell him what’s going on. | 我得去找谢帕德 告诉他这件事 |
[44:12] | It’s too early. | 还太早 |
[44:13] | The longer we wait, the worse it’s gonna be. | 我们拖得越久 就越糟 |
[44:15] | – We’ll be drowned in red tape. – And there’s a reason for that. | -我们会被手续拖累 -这是有原因的 |
[44:18] | The FBI is a glacial bureaucracy, but it’s highly effective. | 联调局是个庞大的官僚机构 但它效率很高 |
[44:21] | Kemper’s in lockdown, what’s he gonna do? | 坎伯都蹲号子了 他还能做什么 |
[44:24] | Kemper is a gigantic blabbermouth. | 坎伯就是个巨型大嘴巴 |
[44:26] | He’s friends with all the prison guards. | 他跟监狱守卫都是朋友 |
[44:28] | A federal agent is meeting with him, | 一名联邦探员去见他 |
[44:29] | you think that hasn’t reached the warden? | 你以为典狱长会不知道吗 |
[44:33] | A couple of months, that’s all I need. | 我就需要两个月 |
[44:35] | No. Because if we get censured, | 不行 如果我们被处分了 |
[44:37] | we’re off work two weeks minimum, no appeal. | 我们要至少停职两周 不能上诉 |
[44:40] | And you can kiss goodbye to the Gonzales case. | 你就别想再插手冈萨雷斯案了 |
[44:43] | They’ll never catch that guy. | 他们绝不会抓到凶徒的 |
[44:50] | Did you tell a detective in Sacramento you would intercede | 你是不是跟萨克拉门托的一个警探说你会 |
[44:53] | with the district attorney on behalf of the FBI? | 代表联调局跟地检官求情 |
[44:56] | Some DA called me and asked why I had two agents in Sacramento. | 有个地检官打给我问为什么派俩探员去萨克拉门托 |
[44:59] | “Two goons,” His exact words. | “俩傻帽” 他原话 |
[45:01] | It’s a strange case. | 这起案子很怪 |
[45:03] | The locals were struggling. | 当地警方很为难 |
[45:04] | We were trying to help figure a way forward. | 我们想帮忙给他们指个出路 |
[45:05] | What were you thinking? | 你们怎么想的 |
[45:07] | Sir, at the time, we deemed this of great urgency. | 长官 我们当时认为此事非常紧急 |
[45:09] | The circumstances were very unusual. | 情况非常不寻常 |
[45:10] | Assault and battery? Since when does the FBI consult on that? | 暴力殴打 联调局什么时候还就此进行咨询了 |
[45:13] | Not even homicide. | 这都不是杀人案 |
[45:14] | Unless you count a dog. | 除非算上狗 |
[45:16] | Bill, the past three years I’ve heard you do is complain about | 比尔 这三年来 你一直在抱怨 |
[45:19] | how overworked you are with the Road School. | 你的巡回教学让你多累 |
[45:21] | I gave you your assistant, | 我给了你个助理 |
[45:22] | and this is how you choose to spend your time? | 你就这么花费你的时间 |
[45:25] | I trust you understand my position on this. | 我想你明白我对此的立场吧 |
[45:29] | Is there anything else you want to tell me? | 你们还有什么要告诉我的吗 |
[45:41] | I get back on Tuesday, | 我周二回来 |
[45:42] | if you want to pick me up from the airport. | 你要想去机场接我的话 |
[45:44] | Sure, I’d love to. | 好啊 |
[45:46] | – You should come with me sometime. – To Detroit? | -你哪天该跟我一起去 -去底特律吗 |
[45:50] | See your old stomping grounds. Meet my mom. | 故地重游 见见我妈 |
[45:55] | Okay, good to know where we’re at. | 好吧 很高兴能弄清我们的状况 |
[45:57] | – No, I would love to meet your mom. – I said sometime. | -不是 我很乐意见你妈妈 -我说哪天的 |
[45:59] | No, actually, it’s something I would really enjoy. | 不 其实 我真的会喜欢 |
[46:01] | I meant eventually. | 我是说最终 |
[46:03] | I’m sure she’s really, really lovely. | 我相信她是个很棒的人 |
[46:06] | Actually, she’s kind of a bitch, | 其实 她挺贱的 |
[46:09] | especially when it comes to people I’m dating. | 尤其是对跟我约会的人 |
[46:11] | Really? | 真的吗 |
[46:12] | But… I like you. | 但 我喜欢你 |
[46:16] | I might give you the secret to win her over. | 我或许会告诉你赢得她好感的秘诀 |
[46:20] | What might that be? | 那是什么 |
[46:21] | Well, Mom doesn’t care what | 我妈才不在乎 |
[46:23] | kind of music you like, what kind of job you have, | 你喜欢什么音乐 做什么工作 |
[46:25] | what kind of car you drive. | 开什么车 |
[46:27] | Instead, she’ll ask you about your mother. | 她会问你你妈妈的事 |
[46:31] | It’ll seem like a perfectly innocent question, | 那会看上去像个毫无陷阱的问题 |
[46:34] | but she’ll be watching you closely. | 但她会仔细观察你 |
[46:37] | If she thinks you love and respect your mom, | 如果她觉得你爱而且尊敬你妈 |
[46:40] | she’ll know that you’ll treat her daughter the same way. | 她就会知道你也会那样待她的女儿 |
[46:46] | That’s actually shrewd. | 好聪明 |
[46:48] | …hair group. It can’t do anything about the hair… | …发型 它无法改变你的… |
[46:50] | So… | 那么 |
[46:53] | do you like your mom? | 你喜欢你妈妈吗 |
[46:56] | I do. | 是的 |
[46:58] | She’s someone I really enjoy talking to. | 我很喜欢跟她聊天 |
[47:01] | I knew it. I knew you were a momma’s boy. | 我就知道 我就知道你是个妈宝 |
[47:06] | You should just come with me tomorrow. | 你明天该跟我一起去 |
[47:07] | You’ve already passed the test. | 你已经通过测试了 |
[47:09] | I couldn’t even if I wanted to. | 我想去也不行 |
[47:12] | Shepard doesn’t want us leaving town. | 谢帕德不希望我们离开这里 |
[47:14] | Why? What’s happened? | 为什么 出了什么事 |
[47:16] | We… Well… | 我们 好吧 |
[47:18] | I… | 是我 |
[47:19] | really fucked up. | 闯大祸了 |
[47:22] | You grounded? | 你被禁足了吗 |
[47:28] | When are they gonna start taking this whole thing seriously? | 他们什么时候才能认真对待这事啊 |
[48:12] | – How do you know where I live? – Personnel gave me your address. | -你怎么知道我住哪 -人事部给了我你的住址 |
[48:25] | Let’s go back to Shepard. | 我们再去找谢帕德吧 |
[48:27] | Tell him about Kemper, tell him what we’ve been doing. | 告诉他坎伯的事 告诉他我们在做什么 |
[48:30] | – You think he’ll listen now? – Let’s make it official. | -你觉得他现在就会听吗 -我们正式做吧 |
[48:32] | You don’t want to wait at least till Sacramento blows over? | 你不想至少等萨克拉门托的事过去吗 |
[48:35] | No, I want to go back to Sacramento and fix it. | 不 我想回萨克拉门托 解决那件事 |
[48:38] | If we fix it, Shepard might give us what we want. | 如果我们做到了 谢帕德或许就能让我们如愿 |
[48:42] | He’s not stupid. He’ll have to listen. | 他不傻 他到时必须听了 |
[48:44] | Are you out of your fucking minds?! | 你们是他妈疯了吗 |
[48:47] | You interviewed Edmund Kemper? | 你们和艾德蒙·坎伯谈话了吗 |
[48:49] | Not so much interviewed. More like a conversation. | 不算正式谈话 就是聊聊 |
[48:51] | He said a bunch of extremely interesting things | 他说了很多很有趣的话 |
[48:52] | that turned out to be really useful. | 而且非常有帮助 |
[48:54] | – What the fuck? – I just had this idea… | -搞什么 -我就是有个想法 |
[48:55] | I don’t want to hear your idea, Holden. | 我不想听你的想法 霍顿 |
[48:57] | I’m sick to death of your ideas. | 我受够了你的想法 |
[48:58] | It is not our job to commiserate with these people. | 同情这些人不是我们的职责 |
[49:00] | It is our job to electrocute them. | 我们的职责是送他们上电椅 |
[49:02] | How long has this been going on? | 这事已经发生多久了 |
[49:03] | Just when we were in Sacramento. | 就是我们在萨克拉门托期间 |
[49:05] | Sir, the conversations with Kemper shed light on things | 长官 跟坎伯的对话点透了 |
[49:07] | we’ve been exploring in the Behavioral Science Unit. | 我们行为科学部一直在探索的一些事 |
[49:09] | There’s a correlation with what we’re finding at crime scenes. | 而且跟我们在犯罪现场的发现有明显的关联 |
[49:11] | It proves that we’re on track. | 这证明我们找对了方向 |
[49:13] | Proof the Federal Bureau of Investigation | 证明了联邦调查局 |
[49:15] | is on track after all these years? | 这么多年后终于找对方向了 |
[49:16] | Well, golly, what a relief. I am so pleased for us. | 老天爷 太好了 我真高兴 |
[49:19] | – We’re pleased too. – Don’t smart-mouth me, Holden! | -我们也是 -少跟我打嘴炮 霍顿 |
[49:21] | You fucked up the Gonzales situation, | 你搞砸了冈萨雷斯的事 |
[49:23] | you pissed off the Sacramento DA, | 你气坏了萨克拉门托的地检官 |
[49:24] | and now you reveal to me | 现在你又告诉我 |
[49:25] | that you’ve been interviewing lifers in the state penitentiary. | 你一直在约谈州立监狱里的无期徒刑犯人 |
[49:27] | Sir, the insights aford us during these visits | 长官 这几次探视让我们得到的见解 |
[49:29] | may possibly help us | 或许能帮我们 |
[49:30] | identify the person responsible for | 找到萨克拉门托 |
[49:31] | the attacks in Sacramento and help prevent others. | 袭击事件的罪犯 并预防其他案件 |
[49:33] | Wrong, wrong, and wrong. Here’s what it is. Burn your notes. | 错了 告诉你 烧掉你的笔记 |
[49:36] | Don’t speak to me about this anymore. | 再不要跟我提起这件事 |
[49:37] | Don’t put it in any reports. You’re done. | 也别写进报告 你完了 |
[49:39] | Excuse me, sir. | 抱歉 长官 |
[49:41] | I truly believe there is a vein here that needs to be mined. | 我真心认为这是需要开发的财富 |
[49:44] | Okay, kiddo. You’re looking down the barrel. | 好吧 小子 你现在危险了 |
[49:47] | Three whole bags: censure, suspension, transfer. | 三步走 处分 停职 调职 |
[50:05] | Pardon me. | 不好意思 |
[50:08] | Sir, permit me to speak. | 长官 请允许我说话 |
[50:10] | I’ve been doing this shit for seven years. | 这事我已经做了七年了 |
[50:11] | I trained Holden because he was transferred to my department. | 我训练霍顿是因为他被调来了我的部门 |
[50:14] | He knows his criminal psychology. | 他了解犯罪心理学 |
[50:16] | He’s done his homework, worked his butt off, | 他做足了准备 也拼命工作了 |
[50:18] | and now I think he’s onto something. | 现在 我觉得他真的有所发现 |
[50:19] | Onto what? He made friends with the Coed Killer. | 发现什么 他跟女学生杀手交了朋友 |
[50:21] | If any of this is going to work, we need to talk to more subjects. | 如果想成功 我们还得跟更多对象谈话 |
[50:24] | More? No! What’s next, Charles Manson? | 更多 不 下个谁 查尔斯·曼森吗 |
[50:26] | When’s he booked for? | 他订了什么时候 |
[50:27] | We were thinking June. | 我们希望是六月 |
[50:29] | I think it’s right. | 我觉得这是对的 |
[50:30] | We need to use whatever resource… | 我们需要用一切可用资源 |
[50:32] | Resource, my ass! Bill, what’s the matter, you bored with golf? | 资源个屁 比尔 怎么了 高尔夫打烦了吗 |
[50:35] | California jails are full of thrill killers and lust murderers. | 加州监狱里满是快感杀手和淫乐杀人犯 |
[50:37] | And we put them there, that’s our job. | 是我们把他们关进去的 那是我们的工作 |
[50:39] | Dying and rotting on the vine. | 他们在白白被浪费掉 |
[50:40] | Cry me a river, Holden. All the wasted potential. | 哭成河吧 霍顿 如此被浪费的潜力 |
[50:43] | It is wasted potential, sir. It is. | 的确是浪费的潜力 长官 |
[50:44] | – Cause, we could be using these people. – Using how? | -因为我们可以利用这些人 -怎么利用 |
[50:46] | – Their knowledge and insight. – Of what? | -他们的知识和见解 -关于什么的 |
[50:48] | – Themselves. – Whoselves?! | -他们自己 -谁们自己 |
[50:50] | Then we might know what we’re talking about | 这样我们再跟其他执法机构沟通时 |
[50:51] | when we speak to other law enforcement. | 或许才真能言之有物 |
[50:52] | – Can you make him shut up? – I have not been able to do that, sir. | -你能让他闭嘴吗 -我从未成功过 长官 |
[50:56] | How do we get ahead of crazy | 我们如果不了解疯子的想法 |
[50:58] | if we don’t know how crazy thinks? | 要怎么先于他们一步 |
[51:10] | I like you, Bill. | 我喜欢你 比尔 |
[51:12] | I don’t particularly like him, but I like you. | 我不怎么喜欢他 但我喜欢你 |
[51:17] | Okay, you may continue with your little sideshow. | 好吧 你们可以继续你们的小闹剧 |
[51:20] | However, no one can know about it. Clear? | 但是不能让人知道 明白了吗 |
[51:23] | You will relocate yourselves | 你们要搬到 |
[51:24] | to the basement beneath Behavioral Sciences, | 行为科学部楼下的地下室 |
[51:27] | reporting directly and exclusively to me. | 直接且只许向我汇报 |
[51:29] | The basement? I’m 44 years old. | 地下室 我都44了 |
[51:31] | You may dedicate ten hours of your 50-hour work week to this. | 每周50小时的工时只可以投入10小时在这上面 |
[51:34] | If I deem any aspect of it to be unwarranted, | 如果我认为其中任何方面没理由 |
[51:36] | unnecessary, or unsavory, | 没必要 或不恰当 |
[51:38] | I will end it. Do you both understand? | 我就会叫停 你们都明白了吗 |
[51:40] | Yes. | 是的 |
[51:42] | And thank you, sir. | 谢谢 长官 |
[51:44] | Thank you, sir. | 谢谢 长官 |