时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:06] | “The sun shines during the day.” | 辩题是“太阳在日间照射” |
[00:08] | Ms. Matthews will argue the affirmative. | 有请正方马修斯小姐发言 |
[00:10] | Good morning, everybody. | 同学们 早上好 |
[00:12] | You know why people say that in the morning? | 你们知道人们为什么会在早上说这句话吗 |
[00:17] | Paam! | 嘣 |
[00:20] | Nailed it. | 完事儿 |
[00:22] | How can you possibly lose? | 你怎么可能输呢 |
[00:23] | Like this. | 像这样 |
[00:24] | First of all, let’s understand that day and night are | 首先 我们要明白“日”和“夜” |
[00:27] | merely words invented by human beings | 只不过是人类造出来的词 |
[00:28] | to communicate simple conceptual constructs apropos of nothing. | 用于简单恰当地描述这种虚无的结构概念 |
[00:36] | Apropos. | 恰当吧 |
[00:37] | Rawr. | 嗷 |
[00:39] | Thank you. Thank you very much. | 谢谢 非常感谢 |
[00:41] | Anyway, science tells us that the sun is always shining | 反正 科学告诉我们 太阳一直在发光 |
[00:44] | and what appears to be day and night is merely our angle of proximity | 昼夜的出现跟某一特定时间点时 |
[00:47] | at a particular time to the Earth’s revolution. | 地球自转的角度有关 |
[00:52] | And, for extra credit, there’s no such thing as time. | 对了 所谓的时间也是不存在的 给我额外加分吧 |
[00:54] | Time! | 时间到 |
[00:56] | Our debate topic therefore, is false. | 因此我们的辩题是不成立的 |
[00:58] | The sun does not just shine during the day, it also shines during the night, | 太阳不仅是在白天才照射地球 它在晚上也会 |
[01:01] | just not on us. | 只是没照到我们身上 |
[01:02] | I win. | 我赢了 |
[01:05] | How do you win? | 你怎么会赢 |
[01:06] | Because I have high hopes. | 因为我怀有极高的信念 |
[01:08] | Because when you believe passionately… | 因为当你满腔热情地相信 |
[01:09] | And our debate winner is Farkle Minkus! | 本次辩论赛的胜者是法尔科·明克斯 |
[01:14] | I don’t understand. I said what I believed. | 真是无法理解 我明明说了我相信的事 |
[01:16] | How could that be wrong? | 怎么可能是错的 |
[01:17] | There’s no wrong, Riley. But there are rules to a debate. | 没有什么对错 莱丽 但是辩论赛有自己的规则 |
[01:21] | Okay, who cares about the rules | 好吧 明知道太阳 |
[01:22] | when we know that the sun shines during the day? | 在日间照射的情况下谁还在乎规则啊 |
[01:24] | That’s interesting, isn’t it? | 这倒挺有意思 对吧 |
[01:26] | How often do we get so lost in what we think, | 我们是否常常会沉迷于自我以至于 |
[01:29] | that we refuse to listen to what the other side has to say, huh? | 听不进对方说的任何事情呢 |
[01:32] | You guys know why we debate in history class? | 你们知道为什么要在历史课上进行辩论赛吗 |
[01:35] | History teaches us that most wars start | 历史告诉我们 大多数战争的爆发 |
[01:38] | because we don’t listen to the other point of view. | 是因为我们不肯听取与自己不同的想法 |
[01:40] | I’m not trying to start a war. | 我才没想挑起什么战争 |
[01:42] | I just think it’s okay to feel strongly about what you believe in. | 我只是觉得坚信自己的想法也是可以的 |
[01:45] | Riley, it’s not enough to go through life | 莱丽 把其他的想法不当回事 |
[01:48] | without considering the other point of view. | 是没办法顺利度过一生的 |
[01:51] | Oh, I’m sorry, I couldn’t hear you. | 哦 不好意思哦 我听不见 |
[01:52] | The sun was in my ears. | 我耳朵里进太阳了 |
[01:57] | – Riley. – Cory. | -莱丽 -科瑞 |
[01:58] | Here we go. | 好戏开始了 |
[02:00] | I love this class so much. | 我太喜欢这堂课了 |
[02:03] | Being passionate about what you believe in | 对自己的信念充满热情 |
[02:05] | is the only way to live. | 才是生存的唯一方法 |
[02:07] | I don’t need your facts, | 我不需要你的事实 |
[02:08] | and I certainly don’t need your points of view. | 也更不需要你的不同观点 |
[02:10] | – Switch. – Huh? | -换边 -什么 |
[02:12] | Switch sides. | 交换立场 |
[02:14] | Argue the other side. Farkle? | 正反方互换 法尔科 |
[02:17] | The sun shines during the day. | 太阳在日间照射 |
[02:19] | You know how I know? | 你知道我怎么懂的吗 |
[02:20] | Poom! | 嘣 |
[02:23] | Hey! | 嘿 |
[02:24] | POOM is my acronym for “Polar oscillation in orbital motion.” | 这是“轨道运动导致的两极振荡”的简称 |
[02:27] | Is it hot in here? | 有没有人觉得很热啊 |
[02:28] | It’s hot in here, right? What’s happening? | 有点热啊 是吧 怎么回事 |
[02:31] | Farkle, what do you really believe? | 法尔科 你真正相信的是什么 |
[02:33] | The sun shines all the time. When we see it, it’s day. | 太阳一直在照射地球 我们能看到阳光的时候就是白天 |
[02:36] | So for us the sun shines during the day. | 所以对我们来说 太阳在日间照射 |
[02:38] | How do we know what you really believe | 在我们随意换边的情况下 |
[02:40] | if you can switch sides that easily? | 我们怎么知道你真正相信的是什么 |
[02:41] | I’m not changing what I believe. | 我没有改变我的信念 |
[02:43] | But a good debater needs to be able to argue both sides. | 但一个好的辩手要兼顾正反双方 |
[02:45] | Right. And as you continue to grow, | 没错 就像你们在不断成长的过程中 |
[02:47] | you’ll find a benefit to understanding the other side of an argument. | 会找到让自己明白对手观点的好处 |
[02:51] | Because if you know what you’re up against, you’ll be ready for it. | 因为当你知道自己面临着什么 你才会做好准备 |
[02:54] | Oh, I don’t think I’ll need to be ready | 喔 我觉得我不会为辩论 |
[02:56] | to argue something as simple as whether the sun is out or not. | “太阳出来没”这种小儿科问题而做准备 |
[02:59] | Are people naturally good or evil? | 人性本善还是人性本恶 |
[03:02] | Good. | 善 |
[03:02] | All of you will argue good. | 你们都是“善”方的辩手 |
[03:05] | Only one of you will argue the other side. | 只有一个人会在“恶”方 |
[03:07] | Ms. Matthews… | 马修斯小姐 |
[03:09] | You wouldn’t dare. | 你敢 |
[03:13] | You will make the case for evil. | 你是“恶”方辩手 |
[03:25] | Boy, you have killed us all. | 兄弟 你把我们都干掉了 |
[03:27] | Yes. Yes, I have. | 是 是我干的 |
[03:29] | Let’s go. | 快跑 |
[03:34] | How could people possibly be evil? | 人怎么会是邪恶的呢 |
[03:38] | I don’t know, man. | 我不知道 伙计 |
[03:53] | I’ve been waiting for a day like this to come. | 一直在期待这一天的到来 |
[03:57] | Struck like lightning, my heart’s beating like a drum | 闪电一般 我的心扉怦然打开 |
[04:01] | On the edge of something wonderful | 已然站在奇妙世界的边缘 |
[04:05] | Face to face with changes what’s it all about? | 我该如何面对所有的变换 |
[04:09] | Life is crazy but I know, I can work it out | 生活如此疯狂 我能把握方向 |
[04:14] | ‘Cause I got you to live it with me! | 因为我知道你就陪伴在我身旁 |
[04:18] | I feel alright I’m gonna take on the world! | 我感觉很好 世界就在前方 |
[04:22] | Light up the stars I’ve got some pages to turn. | 人生的旅途让星光照亮 |
[04:25] | I’m singing oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, | 我要高唱 噢 噢 噢 噢 噢 噢 |
[04:30] | Take on the world, take on the world! | 整个世界 看我登场 |
[04:33] | Take on the world, take on the world! | 整个世界 看我登场 |
[04:37] | Take on the world! | 看我登场 |
[04:42] | Okay, I think it’s best that we do this a little at a time. | 我觉得我们还是慢慢来吧 |
[04:46] | Why? | 为什么 |
[04:51] | Close it. | 快合上 |
[04:54] | You did great. Lollipop? | 你做得很好 要吃棒棒糖吗 |
[04:56] | May I have a red one, please? | 我可以要颗红的吗 谢谢 |
[05:07] | Okay, so I wasn’t prepared. | 我还没准备好 |
[05:09] | But I’m glad you started out with the worst thing possible. | 但我很高兴你选择从最可怕的事情开始 |
[05:11] | You know what? You just tell me when to stop. Okay? | 你知道吗 你想叫停的时候就叫停 好吗 |
[05:16] | Stop. | 停 |
[05:19] | Go. | 开始 |
[05:23] | Please tell me, that is the worst thing possible. | 快告诉我 这个是最可怕的 |
[05:25] | Yep, it is. There’s nothing worse than that. | 嗯 是的 没有比这个更可怕的了 |
[05:27] | I don’t want to live in a world like this! | 我不想活在这样的世界 |
[05:35] | Riley, you’re wearing a wool sweater. | 莱丽 你穿的就是羊毛毛衣 |
[05:47] | Oh, get off! | 喔 解脱了 |
[05:52] | It’s looking at you. | 它在看你哦 |
[05:58] | Aah! Get it off of me! | 啊 快拿走 |
[06:05] | That’s the last time I ever loan you anything! | 这是我最后一次借东西给你了 |
[06:09] | Okay. What else ya got? | 好了 还有吗 |
[06:11] | You know what? How ’bout we just start | 你知道吗 不如我们 |
[06:13] | with a small, simple, little place like New York City. | 从纽约这样简单的小地方开始 |
[06:15] | Let’s see what’s happening in our own backyard. | 看看我们后院发生了什么吧 |
[06:21] | Hi, guys. | 嗨 两位 |
[06:24] | That’s not nice. | 有点冷漠啊 |
[06:29] | Okay. Today’s local item… “No Day at the Beach.” | 今天的地方新闻 “暗无天日的海滩” |
[06:33] | What’s that? | 这是什么 |
[06:35] | “New York City beaches are overrun with trash. | 纽约市的海滩布满了垃圾 |
[06:38] | “Bottles, cans, wrappers litter our beaches | 水瓶 饮料罐 包装袋被乱扔在海滩上 |
[06:40] | “to the point where wildlife is endangered | 这样一来 野生动物受到威胁 |
[06:42] | and people no longer go barefoot.” | 人们也不能再赤脚走在海滩上 |
[06:44] | But I like the sand between my toes. | 但我喜欢沙子渗入指缝的感觉 |
[06:50] | Don’t you hate it when people overreact? | 你会不会觉得人们的过激反应很烦 |
[06:59] | You and me, the beach. How ’bout it? | 你和我一起去海滩 怎么样 |
[07:02] | – You mean this weekend? – I mean now. | -这周末吗 -现在就去 |
[07:04] | The beach needs us, Mommy. | 海滩需要我们 妈咪 |
[07:05] | We need to help clean up the trash. | 我们要帮忙清理那儿的垃圾 |
[07:07] | How do you know about that? | 你怎么知道这件事的 |
[07:08] | I’m a world citizen. | 我是世界公民 |
[07:12] | Okay. You and me, the beach, tomorrow morning. | 好 你和我 明天早上一起去海滩 |
[07:16] | Do you have any idea how much I love you? | 你知道我有多爱你吗 |
[07:18] | Those are words. Raise my allowance. | 那些都是空话 涨零花钱比较实际 |
[07:22] | Come here, you world citizen. | 给我过来 你这个世界公民 |
[07:26] | So, how do you feel? | 所以你觉得怎么样 |
[07:27] | I feel transformed. | 我觉得被强行改变了 |
[07:29] | Evil’s gooey tentacles have squeezed my pure heart. | 邪恶那黏糊糊的触手在蹂躏我纯洁的内心 |
[07:32] | But I’ll never believe that people aren’t good. | 但我绝不相信人类是邪恶的 |
[07:36] | You know how I pass the newsstands | 你知道当我路过报刊亭 |
[07:37] | and the headlines are screaming right at you in the face? | 那些头条在我面前张牙舞爪时 我是怎么做的吗 |
[07:39] | I look at the pretty magazines. | 我会转移注意力到漂亮的杂志上 |
[07:43] | But do you ever look at the news? | 但你有看过那些新闻吗 |
[07:45] | Mm. I know what’s trending. | 嗯 我知道大概内容 |
[07:46] | I know what’s up with what’s up. | 我知道都发生了什么 |
[07:49] | Hmm. So you look at the news every day? | 所以你每天都看新闻咯 |
[07:51] | Hmm, not every day, no. | 呃 也不是每天 |
[07:54] | Do you look at the news any day? | 那你在哪天好好地看过新闻吗 |
[07:56] | Hmm… not any day, no. | 呃 也没有 |
[08:00] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[08:01] | How about we just look at the headlines from today. | 不如我们来看看今天的头条吧 |
[08:14] | Mm… This is now? | 嗯 这就是吗 |
[08:17] | Right now. | 这就是 |
[08:21] | Where is this? | 哪里发生的 |
[08:24] | This is our world. | 这就是我们的世界 |
[08:30] | Oh, my gosh. | 我的天 |
[08:40] | Do you guys know what goes on out there? | 你们知道世界上现在正在发生什么吗 |
[08:43] | Climate change, poverty, war? | 气候变化 贫穷 战争 |
[08:46] | -Yeah. -This is the way that the world is? | -是的 -这就是我们世界的原本模样吗 |
[08:49] | We try to keep it from you. | 我们都很努力地不让你知道 |
[08:50] | You’re all in on it? | 你们都这样吗 |
[08:51] | – The Riley Committee. – I pay dues. | -莱丽委员会 -我交会费了 |
[08:54] | – There are no dues… – Quiet. | -根本就没有会费 -闭嘴 |
[08:56] | It’s worth it anyway. I think it’s wonderful | 无论怎样都是值得的 我觉得身边有个人 |
[08:58] | to have somebody among us who looks for the good in everything. | 无论什么事都能向好的方向看 是件很美妙的事 |
[09:00] | – Well, that’s over. – Why? | -那是以前了 -为什么 |
[09:02] | Because I’ve seen things. I’m not Simple Riley anymore. | 因为我见了世面 我不再是单纯的莱丽了 |
[09:05] | Riley, don’t let reality change you. | 莱丽 不要让现实改变你 |
[09:07] | Yeah, reality’s only as powerful as you let it be. | 现实能起到多大作用完全取决于你自己 |
[09:09] | Sometimes you can create your own reality. | 有时候你可以创建你自己的现实 |
[09:13] | Right, me and Lucas in Hawaii? | 就像我和卢卡斯在夏威夷 是不是 |
[09:16] | Smackle, inside-your-head voice. | 史麦科 你可以选择不说出来 |
[09:24] | Knowing things changes you. | 你的所知会改变你 |
[09:26] | I’m supposed to argue that people are evil, | 让我为人性本恶而辩论 |
[09:28] | and now I can. | 现在我可以了 |
[09:29] | I have started my research, | 我开始了研究 |
[09:31] | and I will continue down this dark journey | 并且会继续完成这场黑暗的旅行 |
[09:32] | that I can only call, “Riley Matthews: evil person.” | 然后我就可以被说成 莱丽·马修斯 一个邪恶的人 |
[09:39] | What, you guys don’t think I could be bad? | 怎么 你们觉得我不会变坏 |
[09:41] | Um, okay. Do the worst thing that you can think of right now. | 好吧 现在做你觉得你能想到的最坏的事情 |
[09:45] | Hi, to everybody but you! | 跟所有人打招呼 就是不理你 |
[09:51] | – I’m sorry. – It’s okay, Riley. | -我很抱歉 -没关系 莱丽 |
[09:53] | Guys, we’re gonna be fine. | 同志们 我们不会有事的 |
[09:56] | My cookie came. | 我的饼干来啦 |
[09:58] | Cookie day! | 饼干日 |
[09:59] | Everyone say it! | 大家一起来 |
[10:00] | Cookie day. | 饼干日 |
[10:02] | What the… | 什么 |
[10:03] | I hold in my hand one Grandma Gandy cookie. | 我手中拿的是我奶奶甘迪的手工饼干 |
[10:06] | Now Grandma Gandy could send me a whole batch, | 奶奶甘迪原本可以送我一整批饼干的 |
[10:09] | but she doesn’t ’cause then | 但她没有 因为她知道 |
[10:10] | she knows I wouldn’t appreciate it as much. | 那样做我就不会这么珍惜了 |
[10:12] | Looks like she’s right. | 听起来她做得对 |
[10:13] | I mean, grandma says that there’s value in just one thing, | 奶奶说一件东西才有价值 |
[10:15] | that you appreciate it more because there’s just one. | 因为你会因它的独一无二而欣赏它 |
[10:18] | Maybe so, because when I look at this, | 也许是的 因为每当我看着它 |
[10:20] | I think about her making it for me, | 我就想到这是她为我做的 |
[10:22] | and her thinking about me the whole time. | 她一直在想着我 |
[10:23] | That’s a good thing she does, Riley. | 她做了好事 莱丽 |
[10:25] | Doesn’t Grandma Gandy seem like a good person? | 奶奶甘迪真是个好人啊 |
[10:28] | My grandma’s getting pretty old now. | 我的奶奶正在老去 |
[10:31] | This could be the last cookie I’m ever gonna get. | 这将是我拿到的最后一片饼干了 |
[10:34] | – Riley! – Are you kidding me? | -莱丽 -你在开玩笑吗 |
[10:36] | Okay, that was bad. | 好吧 这确实很坏 |
[10:38] | Bad? What could she do worse than that? | 很坏 难道还有比这更坏的事吗 |
[10:40] | This cookie is only okay. | 这饼干也就还可以 |
[10:51] | I’m evil now. | 我现在很邪恶 |
[10:53] | Yeah, you’re my new dark leader. | 是啊 你是我的黑武士 |
[10:55] | What’s next? That heavy metal? | 然后呢 要我穿上金属铠甲吗 |
[10:58] | What’s next is apologizing to Zay. | 然后是给小赛道歉 |
[11:00] | The evil don’t apologize, Maya. | 邪恶的人从不道歉 玛雅 |
[11:03] | And now I have to tell you something, | 我现在必须告诉你件事情 |
[11:04] | and it’s gonna shake you up real good. | 这件事会让你十分震惊 |
[11:06] | Riley, your five evil minutes are up. Okay? | 莱丽 你的邪恶五分钟已经到了 好吗 |
[11:08] | – Snap out of it. – Maya… | -出来吧 -玛雅 |
[11:10] | there is part of me that liked it. | 我内心中的一部分很喜欢 |
[11:13] | Seeing that look on everybody’s face… | 看着所有人的表情 |
[11:16] | there was a part of me that liked it. | 有一部分的我很喜欢 |
[11:18] | You shook? | 你震惊吗 |
[11:19] | I’m a little shook. | 有点 |
[11:21] | Riles, we all have that, okay? That’s how we’re made. | 莱丽 我们都有恶的那部分 好吗 这就是人性 |
[11:24] | We all have a little angel and a little devil | 我们内心都有一个小天使和小恶魔 |
[11:26] | that sit on our shoulders and try to win us over. | 它们坐在我们的肩膀上 想要胜过对方 |
[11:28] | – I have a devil? – Even you. | -我也有恶魔吗 -你也不例外 |
[11:31] | She’s wearing a red, sparkly halter top. | 她身穿红色 闪闪发光的吊带衫 |
[11:34] | What’s her name? | 她叫什么 |
[11:35] | Sassy Haltertop. | 时髦吊带衫 |
[11:37] | Mine’s Stabby McGee. We should get ’em together. | 我的叫斯塔比麦吉 真应该凑一对 |
[11:40] | Riley, apologize. | 莱丽 道歉 |
[11:44] | We came over to give you the chance to apologize. | 我们来给你个道歉的机会 |
[11:46] | Came in through the front door ’cause I’m wearing a skirt. | 我从前门进因为我穿了裙子 |
[11:48] | Didn’t know it was window day. | 原来今天是爬窗日 |
[11:51] | We know you feel awful about what you did. | 我们知道你为你的所作所为感到难过 |
[11:54] | Doesn’t look like she feels awful. | 看起来她并不难过 |
[11:56] | Would you just say you’re sorry? | 你不准备说对不起吗 |
[11:59] | – I can’t. – Why? | -我不能 -为什么 |
[12:00] | It wouldn’t be honest. | 那就不诚实了 |
[12:01] | – You ate my cookie, man! – And I liked doing it, okay? | -你吃了我的饼干 -我很享受这么做 好吗 |
[12:04] | I’ve never done anything like that before | 我以前从来没有那么做过 |
[12:06] | and I would never do anything to hurt anybody, | 也从来不会做任何伤害别人的事情 |
[12:08] | but something red and sparkly inside of me liked it. | 但我脑中那个红色的闪闪发光的东西喜欢这么做 |
[12:13] | Well, okay for you, then. | 那好吧 |
[12:18] | Riley, please apologize. | 莱丽 请你道歉 |
[12:25] | -I’m going through the front door… -Yeah, skirt. | -我要从前门走 -知道了 裙子 |
[12:26] | Yes. Skirt. | 是的 裙子 |
[12:31] | Maya, I don’t get it. | 玛雅 我不太懂 |
[12:33] | I’ve seen headlines now. I know things now. | 我现在看过了新闻头条 我知道了很多事 |
[12:35] | Why is this such a big deal? | 这点小事儿有什么大不了的 |
[12:37] | Because… | 因为 |
[12:40] | Because you see that door? | 你看见那扇门了吗 |
[12:44] | When it’s shut, it’s shut. | 当它关起来的时候 它是关着的 |
[12:46] | I can pull on it as hard as I can, | 无论我多么努力地拉它 |
[12:48] | it doesn’t open. | 它都不开 |
[12:49] | But just the slightest crack… throws the door wide open. | 但只是小小的一丝裂缝 门就会越开越大 |
[12:55] | You opened the door, Riles. | 莱丽 你把门打开了 |
[12:57] | And the first bad thing makes it easier to do the next bad thing. | 你做的第一件坏事 会让你更容易干下一件坏事 |
[13:00] | I think I already did the next bad thing. | 我觉得我已经干了下一件坏事了 |
[13:02] | What’d you do? | 你做了什么 |
[13:04] | I didn’t give Two Shoes Louie a dollar today. | 我今天没有给双鞋路易一美元 |
[13:06] | What?! You love Two Shoes Louie. | 什么 你那么喜欢双鞋路易 |
[13:09] | You give him a dollar whenever you see him. | 无论什么时候你看到他都会给他一美元的 |
[13:10] | You go, “Here you go, Two Shoes Louie.” | 你说 “给你 双鞋路易” |
[13:12] | And he goes, “Thanks, Bright Eyes. | 然后他说 “谢谢你 小明眸 |
[13:14] | Now I’m one dollar closer | 现在我又有了一美元 |
[13:14] | to getting my new pair of matching shoes.” | 我离我的新鞋更近了 |
[13:16] | But, Maya, he asked for two dollars today. | 但是 玛雅 他今天找我要了两美元 |
[13:19] | And tomorrow is spaghetti and hot dog day, | 但是明天是意大利面和热狗日 |
[13:21] | and I want me some of that. | 我想吃 |
[13:23] | So you didn’t give him anything? | 所以你什么都没给他吗 |
[13:24] | No, Maya, an extra dollar wasn’t going to change anything, okay? | 没有 玛雅 多给一美元也改变不了什么 好吗 |
[13:29] | And besides, it’s a scam. | 况且 他是在骗钱 |
[13:31] | – What? – Yes, it’s a scam, okay? | -什么 -是的 他是在骗钱 好吗 |
[13:33] | We don’t know what he does with that money. | 我们不知道他拿着那些钱去做了什么 |
[13:35] | Riley, it’s possible he’s saving up for a new pair of shoes. | 莱丽 他可能真的是在攒钱买新鞋子 |
[13:37] | Or it’s possible people are evil. | 也有可能人类真的是邪恶的 |
[13:40] | Okay, this is all just | 这一切都是 |
[13:41] | to prepare you for the debate though, right? | 为了准备那场辩论 是吗 |
[13:43] | Yes. And life. | 是的 还有人生 |
[14:00] | Nice breakfast. You making good choices? | 不错的早餐 你做好选择了吗 |
[14:03] | – Nope. – Why not? | -没有 -为什么没有 |
[14:05] | Because I’m inherently evil and I’m out of control. | 因为我天性本恶并且已经失控 |
[14:10] | Well, pay attention, my evil darling, | 注意了 我邪恶的甜心 |
[14:12] | because I have spent my entire life meeting the world, | 我的一生都在探寻这个世界 |
[14:15] | and I know something about it. | 我还是对世界有点了解的 |
[14:18] | Riley, you get this cast of characters in life, okay? | 莱丽 你要注意你生命中的角色 好吗 |
[14:23] | You get friends and you get family, | 你有朋友和家庭 |
[14:25] | and they help you make it through the day. | 他们帮你度过一天又一天 |
[14:26] | But the world is a character in your life, too. | 但是世界也是你生命中的一个角色 |
[14:29] | And how it treats you | 你怎样对待世界 |
[14:31] | has everything to do with how you treat it. | 世界就怎样对待你 |
[14:33] | It teaches me good lessons. | 世界给我上了一课 |
[14:34] | – That’ll stop. – Why? | -以后就不会了 -为什么 |
[14:37] | People who are evil don’t believe those lessons anymore, Riley. | 真正邪恶的人听不进去别人的话 莱丽 |
[14:41] | They stop thinking the world has anything to teach them. | 他们不再相信这个世界还能教他们 |
[14:46] | What if being evil is more fun than being good? | 如果变坏比做好人要有趣得多呢 |
[14:48] | What if being evil changes your understanding of what fun is? | 如果变坏改变了你对有趣的理解呢 |
[14:54] | We got up at four o’clock! | 我们四点钟就起床了 |
[14:56] | Yup. Auggie and I had a little beach adventure this morning. | 是的 奥吉和我今天早上来了场海滩冒险之旅 |
[15:00] | What is all of this? | 这是怎么回事 |
[15:01] | – I got it. – Good. Tired. Four o’clock. | -我来搞定 -很好 累 四点 |
[15:05] | Why’d you get up so early, Bubba? | 你们为什么起那么早 宝贝 |
[15:06] | I wanted to help clean up all the trash. | 我想帮着把海滩上所有的垃圾清理干净 |
[15:08] | Are you off your rocker? | 你是不是疯了 |
[15:10] | No, I am on my rocker, Riley. | 没啊 我精神正常得很 莱丽 |
[15:12] | Did you know that there’s so much trash at the beach | 你知道海滩上垃圾多到 |
[15:15] | that people can’t even go barefoot in the sand | 人们都不能光脚走在沙子上 |
[15:17] | because they might step on something bad? | 因为会踩到乱七八糟的脏东西上吗 |
[15:19] | Well, how much did you pick up? | 那你捡了多少垃圾 |
[15:20] | I cleaned up a little area. | 我只清理了一小块地方 |
[15:22] | What good is that going to do? | 做这个有什么好处吗 |
[15:24] | I found out that you can’t clean up the whole beach, man. | 我发现自己没法把整个海滩都清理干净 姐姐 |
[15:28] | But I did my part. | 但是我做了我该做的 |
[15:29] | Auggie, do you really think that what you did means anything? | 奥吉 你真的觉得你做这些有意义吗 |
[15:32] | Riley! | 莱丽 |
[15:34] | Mom, did we waste our time? | 妈妈 我们是在浪费时间吗 |
[15:36] | No. We didn’t. | 不 当然没有 |
[15:39] | There’s a story that I know. | 我听说过一个故事 |
[15:41] | Sometimes starfish wash up on the beach, | 有时候海星会被冲到海滩上 |
[15:43] | miles and miles of starfish. | 很多很多的海星 |
[15:46] | And the sun rises and it dries them out and then they die. | 等太阳升起来把它们晒干了以后 海星就死了 |
[15:50] | So a little boy picks one up, | 所以有个小男孩捡起一只海星 |
[15:51] | and he throws it back into the water. | 把它扔回了大海 |
[15:54] | And someone standing there says, | 有些站在一旁的人说 |
[15:55] | “What do you think that’s gonna do? | 你觉得这么做有意义吗 |
[15:57] | “There’s too many of them to pick up. | 海星多得捡都捡不完 |
[15:59] | Do you really think you made a difference?” | 你真的觉得你这样做会有谁在乎吗 |
[16:01] | And the little boy says, | 然后这个小男孩回答说 |
[16:03] | “I made a difference to that one.” | 那只海星在乎 |
[16:07] | So… I did good? | 所以 我做了好事吗 |
[16:09] | So you did very good. | 你做得非常好 |
[16:21] | So, what did you find out? | 好了 你们发现什么了 |
[16:24] | Are people good, or evil, or what? | 人们是善 是恶 还是什么 |
[16:26] | We miss Riley. | 我们很想念莱丽 |
[16:29] | That’s your opening statement? | 这就是你们的开篇立论 |
[16:31] | Yes, and it’s genius. | 是的 说得很好 |
[16:33] | Why is that? | 为什么 |
[16:34] | Because the change in Riley’s behavior | 因为莱丽行为上的变化 |
[16:36] | has changed the world we live in. | 改变了我们生活的这个世界 |
[16:37] | And if we didn’t notice the change, it would mean | 如果我们没有意识到改变 那就意味着 |
[16:39] | we are not possessed of a natural | 我们没有能让我们 |
[16:41] | goodness that helps us recognize it in others. | 认识到这种变化的善良本性 |
[16:44] | I was gonna say that. | 我本来想说这个来着 |
[16:45] | Zay, what have you found out? | 小赛 你发现了什么 |
[16:48] | I noticed she ate my cookie. | 我注意到她吃了我的饼干 |
[16:51] | Do you forgive her for that? | 那你原谅她了吗 |
[16:53] | No. | 没有 |
[16:54] | And do you not forgive her because you’re an evil person? | 是因为你是个邪恶的人才没有原谅她吗 |
[16:56] | No. I do not forgive her because I’m a good person | 不 因为我是个失去一块好吃饼干的好人 |
[16:59] | who lost a good cookie. | 才没有原谅她 |
[17:02] | Well, do you think you could ever forgive her? | 那你觉得你会原谅她吗 |
[17:03] | It’s possible I might forgive her in time. | 可能到时候我会原谅她的 |
[17:06] | Why do you think that is? | 你为什么会这样想 |
[17:07] | ‘Cause I was raised right. | 因为我就是这样被养大的啊 |
[17:08] | I don’t know who raised her. | 我不知道谁抚养的她 |
[17:10] | Okay. Why do you think you might forgive her? | 好吧 你为什么会原谅她 |
[17:13] | Because I know what she did isn’t who she is. | 因为我知道她做的这件事不是她的风格 |
[17:15] | Sometimes good people do bad things. | 有时候好人也会做坏事 |
[17:17] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[17:19] | So, can I hear from the other side? | 所以 来听听另外一方怎么说吧 |
[17:23] | This is a world of poverty, hunger, and climate change. | 这是一个充斥着贫困 饥饿和气候变化的世界 |
[17:28] | And we know it, | 我们心知肚明 |
[17:30] | and we tolerate it, | 我们忍受着这一切 |
[17:32] | and we have not changed it. | 而我们并没有改变它 |
[17:34] | So if the world creates opportunities for us | 所以如果世界给我们创造机会 |
[17:36] | to do something good or something evil every day, | 每天去做好事或者做坏事 |
[17:39] | and that world is full of poverty, hunger, and war… | 而世界还是充满贫困 饥饿和战争 |
[17:44] | then doesn’t the state of the world answer the question? | 难道世界的现状不正回答了这一问题吗 |
[17:48] | Doesn’t it prove that the world is evil? | 这不就证明了世界是邪恶的吗 |
[17:53] | That we are evil? | 证明了我们是邪恶的 |
[17:59] | You win, Riley. | 你赢了 莱丽 |
[18:01] | Oh, I didn’t want to. | 噢 我不想赢 |
[18:02] | Excellent debate, Ms. Matthews. | 很棒的一场辩论 马修斯小姐 |
[18:05] | It was, Riley. You beat us. | 真的 莱丽 你打败了我们 |
[18:07] | So, that’s it? People are evil? | 所以这是真的 人们都是邪恶的 |
[18:10] | Well, let’s find out. | 那我们就来看看 |
[18:13] | Switch sides. | 互换立场 |
[18:21] | This is a world where children wake up at 4:00 in the morning to save starfish | 这个世界上 还有小孩子早上四点钟起床去救海星 |
[18:26] | because something in them knows that it’s the right thing to do. | 因为他们的内心知道做这件事是对的 |
[18:30] | Why do we lose that? Where does that go? | 为什么我们就做不到 我们的善心哪去了 |
[18:34] | We are born with the choice of good or evil inside of us | 我们生来就面临着行善和行恶的选择 |
[18:37] | and as much fun as it was yesterday to do something bad, | 就像昨天觉得做坏事很有趣一样 |
[18:41] | now it’s today, and I know | 今天 我知道 |
[18:44] | that doing a bad thing isn’t fun at all. | 做坏事一点都没意思 |
[18:47] | She feels bad, man. | 她已经后悔了 兄弟 |
[18:49] | I don’t care. I want my cookie back. | 我不在乎 我只想要回我的饼干 |
[18:51] | Zay, I feel terrible. | 小赛 我感觉很糟糕 |
[18:53] | But I know that you’re going to forgive me. | 但我知道你会原谅我的 |
[18:55] | I know that you’re a good person. | 我知道你是一个好人 |
[18:57] | Possibly. In time. In a thousand years. | 可能吧 以后的事 等几千年以后吧 |
[19:01] | Now. I am asking for you forgiveness now. | 就现在 我请求你的原谅 |
[19:06] | No. | 不可能 |
[19:07] | So I wrote this cookie song. | 就知道你不会 我写了一首饼干之歌 |
[19:09] | I forgive you! | 我原谅你了 |
[19:10] | Please, really forgive me. | 拜托 是真的原谅我 |
[19:12] | Ugh, why? | 为什么啊 |
[19:14] | There are two voices in us. | 我们身体里有两种声音 |
[19:17] | Both sides know how to present their point. | 两边都知道该怎么阐述他们的观点 |
[19:19] | Which voice wins? | 哪一种声音会赢呢 |
[19:21] | That is the only debate that matters. | 这正是唯一重要的一场辩论 |
[19:24] | That’s the only reason the sun shines in the middle of the night. | 这正是太阳在午夜发光的唯一原因 |
[19:28] | There is good and there is evil. | 世界上既有善良又有邪恶 |
[19:33] | I found that if you choose good, | 我发现如果你们选择了善良 |
[19:36] | the world is more than willing to help you out. | 这个世界会更愿意帮助你 |
[19:38] | Zay, this is the fault of Sassy Haltertop. | 小赛 这都是时髦吊带衫的错 |
[19:41] | She sits on my shoulder and she told me to do a bad thing. | 她就坐在我肩膀上指使我做坏事 |
[19:44] | Yeah, I think everyone has that, but why did you listen? | 是啊 我觉得每个人都会有 但谁叫你听她的了 |
[19:46] | Because I never did before. | 因为我以前从来没做过坏事啊 |
[19:48] | There are two sides. You consider both, | 人都有两面 你两面都会考虑 |
[19:52] | and you decide who you are. | 然后决定你要做什么样的人 |
[19:54] | Look, Riley, I know who sits on your other shoulder, | 听着 莱丽 我知道谁坐在你另一个肩膀上 |
[19:57] | and Sassy Haltertop doesn’t stand a chance against you. | 时髦吊带衫根本没有机会和你抗衡 |
[19:59] | So, you forgive me? | 所以你原谅我了 |
[20:01] | Yes, I do. | 是的 |
[20:03] | Because I know who you really are. | 因为我知道真正的你是什么样的人 |
[20:04] | So I forgive you right now. | 所以我现在就原谅你了 |
[20:06] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[20:11] | Flour and sugar and butter and love | 面粉加糖加黄油加爱 |
[20:16] | That makes a cookie, I’m sorry I tookie | 做成一块饼干 我很抱歉我拿了它 |
[20:19] | Forgive me! | 原谅我吧 |
[20:23] | Let go, woman! | 别想这事儿了 |
[20:24] | No, you need to sing back | 不行 你也得对我唱歌 |
[20:27] | Lucas! | 卢卡斯 |
[20:29] | You gotta sing, man. | 你就唱吧 兄弟 |
[20:35] | Two Shoes Louie. | 双鞋路易 |
[20:37] | Maya, Papaya! Bright Eyes! | 玛雅 木瓜 小明眸 |
[20:41] | Hi. I’m really sorry that I didn’t give you the two dollars the other day. | 嗨 真的很抱歉那天我没有给你两美元 |
[20:47] | But I brought you spaghetti and hot dogs. | 但是我给你带了意大利面和热狗 |
[20:49] | I love spaghetti and hot dogs. | 我超爱意大利面和热狗 |
[20:53] | Listen, Bright Eyes, I asked you for two dollars | 听着 小明眸 我问你要两美元 |
[20:57] | because I was only two dollars away | 是因为我还差两美元 |
[21:00] | from being able to afford a pair of matching shoes. | 就可以买到一双配对的鞋子了 |
[21:03] | – You were? – Yeah. | -真的吗 -是啊 |
[21:05] | And I wanted it to be you that gave it to me. | 而且我希望是你给我这两美元 |
[21:10] | But it wasn’t you. It was somebody that I didn’t know, | 但那天不是你 是我不认识的人 |
[21:13] | whose eyes didn’t shine at all… | 眼睛里一点光芒都没有 |
[21:18] | who didn’t even look at me. | 甚至都没有看我一眼 |
[21:21] | But you’re still wearing your same different shoes. | 你还穿着你那双不一样的鞋子 |
[21:23] | Oh, yeah. Yeah. | 噢 是啊 |
[21:27] | So, uh, would you take this two dollars? | 那 你能拿着这两块钱吗 |
[21:31] | Oh, come on, take it. Come on. | 拜托了 拿着吧 拿着 |
[21:33] | Here. | 给你了 |
[21:35] | Nice seeing you. You too, Papaya. | 见到你真高兴 你也是 小木瓜 |
[21:46] | Bright Eyes! | 小明眸 |
[21:50] | Do you have two dollars? | 你有没有两美元 |
[21:52] | Hmm. Well, I believe I do. | 嗯 我当然有 |
[21:57] | I wanted it to be you. | 我希望是你给我的 |
[22:00] | You’re a good man, Two Shoes Louie. | 你是个好人 双鞋路易 |
[22:03] | I’m trying every day. | 我每天都在努力 |
[22:13] | Me too. | 我也是 |
[22:15] | Me too. | 我也是 |