时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:47] | The worst thing about not being in a relationship… | 没有男朋友时最可怕的噩梦 |
[00:55] | is when your job is to write about being in a relationship. | 就是你必须写篇 |
[01:06] | Remember that guy who wore sandals? | 关于你跟男朋友的专栏 还记得那个爱穿凉鞋的男人 |
[01:09] | Randall, the sandal guy? We went on a couple of dates. | 凉鞋小子蓝达尔吗? 我们约会过几次 |
[01:11] | -Like, six years ago? -Yeah. | 那是六年前的事吧? |
[01:14] | -Is that anything? -His name was Randall? | 你想说什么? |
[01:16] | No, but I’m scraping the bottom of the barrel here, ladies. | 他叫蓝达尔? 我已经肠枯思竭 |
[01:20] | Last week, I wrote about my search for the perfect French fry. | 上星期我在专栏里提到 我在寻找完美的薯条 |
[01:23] | -I saw that. -It was cute. | 那真的很可爱 |
[01:28] | French fries. | 薯条 |
[01:30] | You didn’t read it, did you? | 你没看我的专栏吗? |
[01:34] | I don’t always have time to read your column. | 我没空看 |
[01:38] | okay, then. | 好吧,连我的朋友 |
[01:40] | -Even my friends find me irrelevant. -I read it every week. | -都觉得我的文章写得烂 -我每星期都会看 |
[01:44] | You have a little man hanging from your breast. | 你生了孩子 |
[01:46] | What else are you gonna do? | -你还能做什么事? |
[01:47] | -Eat. -I’m in a dating desert. | -吃东西 没有人跟我约会 |
[01:50] | They’re gonna have to change the name of my column to just ”…. and the City.” | 他们会把我的专栏改名为 “什么都没有城市” |
[01:54] | -or they’ll just cancel it. -You’re on the side of a bus. | 或许他们还会取消它 你上了公车广告 |
[01:57] | Then why did my editor call? He never calls. | 编辑为什么要打电话给我? 他从来不会打电话找我 |
[02:00] | I’m not getting laid. Therefore, I’m getting laid off. | 没有人跟我做爱 我要被开除了 |
[02:03] | You’re not getting laid off. | 你不会被开除 |
[02:05] | I don’t know if you read the rest of the paper… | 我不知道 你有没有看其他的报导 |
[02:07] | but these are troubled times. People with real jobs are getting laid off. | 有工作的人的确会被开除 |
[02:11] | This is not a good economy in which to be whipped cream. | 现在不景气 很多人都会被开除 |
[02:14] | Last night, I actually started writing about my sock drawer. | 昨晚我开始写我的袜柜 |
[02:18] | Men as socks. | 男人就跟袜子一样 |
[02:21] | ”Socks and the City.” | “袜子城市” |
[02:22] | I think you and I need to go find some men. | -你们跟我得去找男人 |
[02:24] | -There are no men. That’s the problem. -There are men. | -问题是根本就没有男人 |
[02:27] | You just have to know where to look. When are you free? | 你们必须知道该去哪里找 什么时候有空? |
[02:30] | I’m not trolling for men just for something to write. | 我不会为了找灵感跟男人鬼混 |
[02:32] | You people go have sex, report back. | 快去做爱吧,别忘了跟我报告 |
[02:34] | I can help if you want to write about baby-proofing. | 除非你保证不怀孕 |
[02:36] | I’ll tell you how to baby-proof. Use a condom. | 不然我绝不做爱 用保险套吧 |
[02:39] | What can I get you? | 需要我效劳吗? |
[02:41] | I’d like the veggie scramble and wheat toast. | 我要蔬菜泥跟全麦面包 |
[02:44] | I’ll have an order of fries. Maybe I’ll make it a two-parter. | 我要薯条 或许我可以把它当成男人 |
[02:47] | I’d like the Denver omelet and hash browns. Thank you. | 丹佛蛋卷跟薯饼 |
[02:50] | I’ll have the fruit plate. And I’m back with Richard. | 我要新鲜水果盘 我跟理查重修旧好 |
[02:54] | -Richard, whose death we’ve been plotting? -Maybe there are no men. | 我们一直想杀掉的那个男人? |
[02:58] | I finally agreed to listen to what he had to say. | 或许好男人全死光了 我听完了他想说的话… |
[03:01] | I’ve never known anyone like you. | 我从来没有认识过 像你这样的女人 |
[03:03] | I was in over my head. And then I got scared. | 我心里觉得很害怕 |
[03:06] | He got scared? | 他会害怕? |
[03:08] | That doesn’t excuse the…. | 那无法解释… |
[03:11] | okay, that coming from you… | 从你口中说出那种话 |
[03:14] | is almost as disturbing as the news itself. | 真的太令人震惊了 |
[03:16] | I get scared, I hide under the covers, not between somebody’s legs. | 我害怕时会躲在被窝里 而不是别人的双腿之间 |
[03:20] | Perhaps you had to be there. | -你曾经享受过那种滋味 |
[03:22] | Perhaps you’ll have to be there all the time so he doesn’t get scared again. | -你一定还有机会的 所以他不再害怕 |
[03:25] | Being scared is not an easy thing for a man to admit. | 要男人承认自己害怕 不是件容易的事 |
[03:28] | So what? They get a medal for correctly identifying a feeling? | 他们会因为坦承自己的感觉 得到嘉奖吗? |
[03:31] | We do that all day long. I feel pissed off. | 我们整天都在做相同的事 我觉得好生气 |
[03:35] | D.N.R.: Do not resuscitate. | -别跟他复合 |
[03:37] | I’m not an idiot. I understand, as a woman of the world… | -我不是白痴 |
[03:41] | that Richard is a very charismatic and successful man. | 我知道 理查是个有魅力又成功的男人 |
[03:45] | And an interesting pussy might cross his path now and then. | 只要有美人走过他面前 |
[03:48] | -And he might fall– -into it? | 他就会跌倒… |
[03:50] | And if he does, it’s just sex. That might be a flaw in him. | 那只是性,或许那是个缺点 |
[03:53] | But you know what? Nobody’s perfect. | 但没有人是完美的 |
[03:56] | Some women can’t even get their husbands to pick up the dry-cleaning. | 有些女人没办法 要老公去干洗店拿衣服 |
[03:59] | You’re comparing not wanting to pick up the dry-cleaning with…. | 你拿去干洗店拿衣服来比较… |
[04:03] | -Charlotte, do the thing. -No. | 夏绿蒂,说话 |
[04:04] | Look, I know he loves me. | 我知道他爱我,相信他后悔了 |
[04:06] | I believe he’s sorry, and I believe he’ll try his best. | 我相信他会努力的 |
[04:10] | Then that’s your choice, and we should all respect it. | 那是你的选择 我们应该尊重你的决定 |
[04:14] | Now, how about this for a column? | 这能拿来写专栏吗? |
[04:16] | ”Desperate Women Who Will Believe Anything.” | “什么都相信的绝望女人” |
[04:23] | The next day, two parents covered outlets… | 隔天两个绝望的父母绞尽脑汁 |
[04:25] | to prevent their baby from getting shocked. | 避免他们的孩子被吓到 |
[04:29] | I was thinking… | 我一直在想… |
[04:33] | maybe we wanna get Brady baptized. | 或许我们该让布莱迪受洗 |
[04:35] | For grownups, there is no such safeguard. | 对成年人来说 那么做无法确保任何东西 |
[04:38] | -Neither of us even goes to church. -I know that, but it’s tradition. | -我们都不会上教堂 -我知道,但那是项传统 |
[04:42] | I was baptized, my father, my father’s father. | 我受洗了,我父亲、爷爷 |
[04:44] | Everybody in my family gets baptized. | 跟其他家人都受洗了 |
[04:47] | -It would really mean a lot to my ma. -Your ma? | -那对我妈来说意义重大 -你妈? |
[04:56] | You never even had a mother when we were going out. | 我们约会时你没提过你有妈妈 |
[04:58] | This is the first I’ve heard of her. | 这是我第一次听到你提起她 |
[05:00] | You’re just trotting her out to make a case for religion. | 你还说要帮他举行宗教仪式 |
[05:03] | It’s not about religion. It’s not about God. It’s just something you do in case… | 这跟宗教或上帝无关 |
[05:08] | so the baby don’t end up in limbo. | 这么做是以防万一 宝宝就不会坠入地狱的边境了 |
[05:10] | -You don’t even know what that means. -I do so. | -你根本不知道那是什么意思 -我知道 |
[05:14] | So, what is it? | -那是什么? |
[05:15] | It’s a place where babies fly around without bodies… | -在那里宝宝会到处乱飞 |
[05:18] | just wings under their neck. | 他们没有身体 脖子上长出了翅膀 |
[05:20] | That sounds like something we should worry about. | 听起来我们好像要担心一下 |
[05:23] | Brady isn’t even crawling yet, and you’ve got us baby-proofing every inch here. | 布莱迪不会爬 你到处贴防撞护条 |
[05:28] | But you won’t let someone put water on his head so he won’t go to hell? | 你却不愿意让神父帮他洒洒水 避免他坠入地狱中? |
[05:31] | Miranda didn’t believe in hell, except the hell she was in right now. | 米兰达不相信地狱 虽然她正身处地狱中 |
[05:35] | This is why I was worried about having you involved. | 那就是 我不想跟你扯上关系的原因 |
[05:38] | Why should I go through a stupid ceremony just to make your ma happy? | 我为什么要举行那种仪式 让你妈妈感到开心? |
[05:42] | It’s nice. | 那真的很棒 大家都可以看到宝宝 |
[05:44] | Everybody sees the baby. You have cake. Some people give you money. | 还可以吃蛋糕 有人会包红包给宝宝 |
[05:47] | -What’s wrong with Brady having a party? -I don’t believe in it. | -办派对有什么不好的? -我不相信 |
[05:52] | If you don’t believe, it’s just water on the kid’s head. | 如果你不相信… 那只是在宝宝的头上洒水而已 |
[05:57] | Downtown, Samantha’s faith was faltering. | 在市区里 莎曼珊的信心动摇了 |
[05:59] | -My friends don’t believe you. -Am I dating your friends? | -我朋友不相信你 |
[06:02] | With your track record, I wouldn’t put it past you. | -我在跟你的朋友约会吗? |
[06:05] | -What exactly seems to be their problem? -This… | -我不能相信你 |
[06:08] | is their problem. | -她们有什么问题? 这就是他们的问题 |
[06:10] | -We talked about that. -Yeah, but Miranda thinks it’s bullshit. | -我们谈过了… -米兰达认为那是胡说八道 |
[06:14] | What’s to stop you from getting scared every time a hot woman walks by? | 如果有个辣妹走过你身边 怎么样你才不会害怕? |
[06:18] | -She wanted to know. -I don’t give a shit what your friends think. | -她真的很想知道 -我不在乎她们在想什么 |
[06:22] | I love you. | 我爱你,我有东西要送你 |
[06:25] | And I’ve got something for you. | |
[06:32] | Unless Miranda wouldn’t approve. | 除非米兰达不准我这么做 |
[06:37] | Now it was Samantha’s turn to be scared. | 现在轮到莎曼珊要害怕了 |
[06:44] | Don’t worry, it’s not for that finger. It’s for this one. | 别担心,我不是要你 戴在那根手指上,是这根才对 |
[06:48] | So, when you flip me off, I’ll have something shiny to look at. | 你抛弃我的时候 至少我还留下一点纪念品 |
[06:51] | There it was. | 就是这个 |
[06:52] | A canary diamond I’ll-try-not-to-cheat- and-eat-when-I’m-scared ring. | 鲜黄钻石钻戒, “我不会偷腥 |
[07:03] | Samantha wasn’t sure if she was in heaven… | 一害怕就吃东西”戒指 莎曼珊不确定她是在天堂 |
[07:07] | or limbo. | 或是在地狱的边境 |
[07:10] | Meanwhile, I was clearly in hell. | 同时很明显地我处于地狱中 (男人跟袜子一样 有些男人是艾格利袜子) (有些是安全袜 这个专栏烂透了) (你一定会被开除) |
[07:21] | That afternoon, Charlotte and I went trolling for men. | 那天下午夏绿蒂跟我去钓男人 |
[07:25] | He’s kind of cute. | -他挺可爱的 |
[07:26] | We were playing one-one Hundred. It’s like a road-trip game for urban singles. | -我们在玩百分之一的机会 那就像是 |
[07:31] | You watch the men come in your direction… | 在寻找都市里的单身男人 看着每个走向你的男人 |
[07:33] | and you see how many out of 100 you’d sleep with. | 计算一下在一百个男人中 |
[07:36] | okay, yes. | 你想跟多少男上床 |
[07:38] | -Eight out of forty-six. Where are you? -Zero, thirty-two. | 四十六个男人中我看中八个 你的成绩如何? |
[07:43] | -Zero? What about the guy with the dog? -I don’t like dachshunds for men. | -三十二个男人全被我淘汰了 -溜狗的那个男人呢? |
[07:46] | Can’t handle a real dog, can’t handle a real woman. | 我不喜欢养腊肠狗的男人 他们应付不了真正的狗 |
[07:49] | -He was gorgeous. -That’s another thing. | -也无法应付真正的男人 -他长得很帅 |
[07:50] | Men who are too good-looking are never good in bed, because they never had to be. | 长得太帅的男人 床上功夫通常不怎么样 因为他们不必表现得太好 |
[07:57] | Zero, thirty-five. | -三十五个男人全被我淘汰了 |
[07:58] | -None of them? -They were gay. | -你全都看不上眼? -他们是同性恋 |
[08:01] | It’s imaginary. There must be someone in Gramercy Park… | -这只是幻想游戏 |
[08:04] | that you’d have imaginary sex with. You’re being too picky. | 一定有男人能激起你的性幻想 你太挑剔了 |
[08:07] | -You’re an imaginary whore. -I am not. | -你是爱意淫的荡妇 -我才不是 |
[08:10] | You have slept with eight men, and we have only had appetizers. | 我们才吃完开胃菜 你就跟八个男人上过床了 |
[08:14] | You should come with me next week to Dr. Cheryl Grayson’s seminar. | 你应该跟我一起去参加 雪莉葛瑞森博士的研讨会 |
[08:17] | I’ve been before, and it’s really inspiring. | 那真的能激励人心 |
[08:20] | And there’s time for questions and answers. | 你该好好找出问题跟答案 |
[08:23] | Plus she has a new haircut, and I hear it’s very cute. | 她换了新发型 听说看起来很不错 |
[08:25] | Why would I go to that? | -我为什么要那么做? |
[08:29] | -Because you’re becoming cynical. -That’s why I wouldn’t go. | -因为你变得愤世嫉俗 |
[08:32] | It’s kind of a Catch-22, isn’t it? | 所以我不想去那里 那就像“第二十二条军规”? |
[08:35] | -You might get a column out of it. -Sign me up. | -或许你能找到写作的灵感 |
[08:39] | I think you’ll really enjoy it. | -帮我报名吧 太棒了,你一定会喜欢的 |
[08:40] | Her philosophy of written affirmations has helped me let go of negative thoughts. | 她写的证词哲学 |
[08:48] | Not this guy. No, he’s baiding. He’s got a big head. | 帮助我克服许多负面的想法 不,这家伙不行,他是秃子 |
[08:53] | So, you still have some negative thoughts. | -他的头太大了 -你的想法太负面了 |
[08:56] | oh, my God, he’s coming over here. Don’t look up. | 天啊,他往这边走过来了 别抬头 |
[09:00] | Aren’t you Carrie Bradshaw from the New York Star? | 你不是“纽约星报”的 凯莉布雷萧吗? |
[09:04] | Gabe, hey. | -贾比,你好 |
[09:06] | -You two know each other? -This is my editor. | -你们认识? 他是我的编辑 |
[09:10] | -This is Gabe Manning. -Hi, I’m Charlotte. | -这位是贾比曼宁 |
[09:12] | Hi. I’m glad I ran into you, since you don’t return your calls anymore. | -你好,我是夏绿蒂 我很高兴能遇见你 |
[09:16] | I know. | 因为你都不回我电话 |
[09:17] | But I am just now researching my next column. | 我知道 但我正在为下一篇专栏找灵感 |
[09:21] | And I think it’s going to be super fun and sexy. | 我想它一定会超级有趣跟性感 |
[09:24] | See, we sit here and we pick… | 我们坐在这里 想知道一百个男人中 |
[09:27] | how many men out of 100 we would want to sleep with. | 有多少男人 是我们想上床的对象 |
[09:31] | No one’s asking you to fuck every guy in town. We’re only a weekly paper. | 没有人想知道你要跟 多少男人上床,我们是周刊 |
[09:34] | We don’t actually sleep– | -不,我们并没有… |
[09:36] | I’ve been trying to get in touch with you… | -我一直想联络上你 |
[09:38] | because an editor from Clearwater Press called. | 清水出版社的编辑打电话给我 |
[09:41] | They’re interested in turning your columns into a book. | 他们想把你的专栏辑录成书 |
[09:54] | I’m having a Cosmopolitan with the woman who wrote about Cosmopolitans. | 我跟写这些专栏的女作家 一起喝“四海为家” |
[09:58] | Now, if only I could find a man…. | 如果能找到男人就好了 |
[10:00] | Trouble finding a man. Ever considered writing about that? | 没办法找到好男人的困扰 你考虑过拿它来作题材吗? |
[10:04] | That’s a great idea. Let me get a pen. | 好点子,我该去拿枝笔过来 |
[10:06] | The next night, I met with publishing powerhouses… | 隔天晚上我跟出版商见面 |
[10:08] | Lily Martin and Courtney Masterson. | 莉莉马丁跟柯特妮麦斯特森 |
[10:10] | Seriously, Carrie, this is such a thrill. | 太棒了,清水出版社的人 |
[10:13] | All of us at Clearwater Press read your column religiously. | 都很喜欢看你的专栏 |
[10:16] | God, I don’t even do that. | 我不会那么做 |
[10:18] | I even have the one on ”Ten Men to Avoid” on my refrigerator. | 我把“十种该避免的男人” 贴在冰箱上 |
[10:21] | But not in that icky, Cathy comic kind of a way. | 但那跟看“凯西”漫画不一样 |
[10:23] | -God, no. I hate that shit. -Me, too. | -我讨厌那玩意 -我也是 |
[10:26] | -Anyway, I predict this book will be huge. -Huge. | -我预料这本书会大卖 -红透半边天 |
[10:29] | And that’s…. | 那是…为什么? |
[10:32] | Why? | |
[10:33] | ‘Cause many single women are desperate for something like this. | 很多单身女郎渴望看这样的书 |
[10:36] | And you’re looking at two of them. one, two. | 在你面前就有两个,我跟她 |
[10:38] | The good news is you have an inventory of columns to choose from. | 你可以从已完成的 众多专栏中挑选 |
[10:41] | Some we don’t have to include. | 有些内容不必放进书里 |
[10:43] | Like that last one on French fries. That didn’t make the fridge, did it? | 关于薯条的那篇专栏 |
[10:46] | We want to fast-track it, and get it on the shelves by Christmas… | 不适合贴在冰箱上吧? |
[10:50] | slash, the Jewish Hanukkah. | 我们希望在圣诞节 也就是光明节时上市 |
[10:51] | You can pick and choose the columns, about 25 or 30… | 你可以挑选25到30篇专栏 |
[10:54] | then write an introduction and a dedication to clarify the tone of the book. | 写一篇简介及感谢名单 |
[10:59] | So, you mean…. | 你是说…你是什么意思? |
[11:02] | -What do you mean? -You know, what’s the message? | 我们要传达什么样的讯息? |
[11:05] | Just… | 我可以选出我最喜欢的专栏? |
[11:08] | here are my favorite columns. | |
[11:12] | Yes, but also, is it hopeful? | 没错,但这真的行得通吗? |
[11:14] | Is Carrie Bradshaw an optimist or a pessimist? | 凯莉布雷萧是乐观主义者 |
[11:16] | What’s your point of view? | 还是悲观主义者? |
[11:18] | You know, after all the breakups and the disappointments… | 你有什么看法? |
[11:21] | and the train wrecks, you still believe he’s out there, right? | 在分手、失望跟火车意外后 -你还是相信他的存在? |
[11:27] | -or should we just shoot ourselves now? -No. | -我们该开枪自尽吗? 不 |
[11:31] | Yes. | 没错,应该行得通 |
[11:33] | Hopeful. | |
[11:36] | To be honest, I wasn’t sure what I believed. | 老实说 我不确定自己相信什么 |
[11:39] | But my cynical side suspected optimism would sell more books. | 但我愤世嫉俗的一边告诉我 乐观看法会卖出更多的书 |
[11:45] | My best friend is going to be a published author. | 我的好朋友将成为畅销女作家 |
[11:48] | It’s so fabulous. It even makes me more fabulous. | 那真的太棒了,我觉得很高兴 |
[11:51] | I don’t know. I think I enjoy being slightly under the radar. | 我喜欢自己迟钝的样子 |
[11:55] | I take comfort in the fact that many people, present company included… | 我安于现况 |
[11:59] | don’t ever see my column. | 很多人,包括礼品公司 都没有看过专栏 |
[12:00] | I’m waiting till it’s coming out in hardback. I hope it’s big and glossy. | 我等着精装书上市 希望它会非常地轰动 |
[12:04] | Like my mistakes. Is this really something you encourage? | 就像我犯过的错误一样 你鼓励这样的事? |
[12:08] | Do it. Newspaper is out. It’s all about books. | 快去做吧,报纸没搞头了 现在是书的天下 |
[12:12] | Everyone who’s anyone has a book. | 有名的人都写书 |
[12:15] | I’m not sure what you just said… | 我不确定你的意思 |
[12:17] | because I was temporarily blinded by a piece of jewelry. | 因为我被一枚钻戒弄得分心了 |
[12:20] | Let me see that. | 让我看一下 |
[12:23] | It’s from Richard. | 这是理查送我的 |
[12:24] | I think it’s his way of saying, ”I’m sorry.” | 我想这是他的道歉礼物 |
[12:27] | Wow! What do you get if it happens again, the Hope diamond? | 如果他再伤你一次 你会得到什么?希望之星? |
[12:31] | That’s what this is. l-hope-that-fucker- doesn’t-break-my-heart-again diamond. | “希望那个混蛋 别再伤我心”钻戒 |
[12:35] | Evidently, we were both turning our pain into gold. | 我们都把痛苦抛在脑后 |
[12:39] | That night, I started to think about belief. | 那晚我开始思索信念的问题 |
[12:43] | Maybe it’s not even advisable to be an optimist after the age of 30. | 或许年过三十的人 不应该太乐观 |
[12:48] | Maybe pessimism is something we have to start applying daily… | 或许悲观比较适合日常生活 |
[12:52] | like moisturizer. | 就跟保湿面霜一样 |
[12:54] | otherwise, how do you bounce back… | 否则当信念被现实击倒 |
[12:56] | when reality batters your belief system… | |
[12:58] | and love does not, as promised, conquer all? | 爱无法如梦想中般征服一切时 你该怎么办? |
[13:03] | Is hope a drug we need to go off of, or is it keeping us alive? | 希望是让我们死去的毒药还是 让我们继续活下去的力量? |
[13:08] | What’s the harm in believing? | 信念有什么杀伤力呢? |
[13:11] | Repeat your affirmations daily if you want to let love into your life. | 如果你想让爱进入你的生命里 每天重复你的证词 |
[13:16] | open yourself. Breathe in the possibility of love. | 打开心胸,呼吸爱的气息 |
[13:20] | What is not love is fear. | (我相信爱) 恐惧不是爱 |
[13:23] | It’s time to let go of your fears and embrace your dreams. | 放开你的恐惧,拥抱你的梦想 |
[13:29] | Miranda still wasn’t a believer. | 米兰达不是教徒 |
[13:31] | But her faith was renewed when she found a church that seemed to suit her. | 但她更改了她的信仰 她找到一间很适合她的教堂 |
[13:35] | And a suit that seemed to fit her. | 还有一套她穿得下的套装 |
[13:37] | -I’m waiting in the rain. -I know. You said 10:45. | -我站在雨中等你 -我知道,你说十点四十五分 |
[13:41] | It’s my fault. I’m sorry. | -没错 -这都是我的错,对不起 |
[13:46] | He’s not with her. | 他没有跟她来 |
[13:47] | I know. I told you she’d probably leave him with the baby nurse. | 我说过 她或许把他交给护士照顾 |
[13:50] | This is my ma. Ma, Miranda. | -这位是我妈,她是米兰达 |
[13:54] | -Hi, Mrs. Brady. So nice to meet you. -No, Mary, please. | -布莱迪太太,很高兴见到你 |
[13:59] | You’re so fancy. | 请叫我玛莉,你长得好漂亮 |
[14:01] | I wanted to wear my nice dress, but the dry cleaner’s doesn’t open until 10:00. | 我本来想换上最好的洋装 但干洗店十点才开门 |
[14:05] | I was hoping that you’d bring little Brady, since I haven’t seen him yet. | 我好希望你带布莱迪来 我还没有见过他 |
[14:10] | You know, Stevie gave me a picture. | 史蒂夫给我他的照片 |
[14:13] | I’ve been carrying it around in my wallet. | 我一直把它放在皮夹里 |
[14:16] | It’s a little creased. I should have put it in a frame. | 照片有点折痕 我应该把它放在相框里的 |
[14:20] | I Xeroxed it at the phone company… | 我在电话公司影印照片 |
[14:22] | and everyone in my division said he looks like me. | 让我部门里的同事都能看看他 大家都说他长得像我 |
[14:29] | So, I’ll see him at the ceremony. I’m just grateful to be included. | 我在受洗仪式中能见到他 |
[14:33] | Especially since I know you aren’t Catholic… | 谢谢你邀请我来 毕竟你不是天主教徒 |
[14:36] | and you didn’t want to have a christening. | 也不想举行受洗仪式 |
[14:39] | But the idea of this little baby burning in Hell– | 但一想到宝宝会在地狱中 遭到焚身之苦… |
[14:42] | -Ma. -All right. | -妈 -好吧 |
[14:46] | I’m just saying, my oldest son, Jackie, had a baby who died. | 我只是说…我的大儿子杰奇 |
[14:51] | Two weeks old. We’re still reeling. | 他的宝宝出生两星期就死了 |
[14:55] | His wife is black. She’s not very friendly. | 我们还是很难过 他太太是黑人,她不怎么友善 |
[14:58] | Thinks I have a problem with her. But I don’t. | 她以为我歧视她,我才没有 |
[15:02] | I don’t. | 我没有,或许神父不需要知道 |
[15:03] | Listen. Maybe the priest doesn’t need to know you aren’t getting married. | 你们没有结婚 |
[15:08] | -We’re not lying to the priest, Ma. -Now you’re religious. | -我们不想骗神父 -你现在倒成了虔诚的教徒 |
[15:12] | Hello. | -你是霍布斯吗? |
[15:14] | -The Hobbes party? -We spoke on the phone. | -没错,我们通过电话 |
[15:16] | -I’m Father Andrew. Come on inside. -Sorry we’re late. | -我是安德鲁神父,请进 -抱歉我们迟到了 |
[15:19] | Hello, Father. | 你好,神父,我是玛莉布莱迪 |
[15:20] | I’m Mary Brady. I go to Saint Agnes in Queens. | 皇后区圣安格尼斯教堂的教徒 |
[15:24] | They’re not getting married. | 他们没有结婚 |
[15:29] | -Is she drunk? -No, just a couple of beers. | -她喝醉了吗? -没有,她只喝了几杯啤酒 |
[15:33] | I don’t want the baby referred to as Catholic. | 我不希望提起宝宝是天主教徒 |
[15:37] | No original sin… | 也不要提起原罪或远离撒但 |
[15:40] | no renouncing of Satan…. | |
[15:43] | It’s not that she’s a fan of Satan, it’s just that she doesn’t want… | 那不是因为她相信撒但 |
[15:47] | -to talk about him. -in fact, no mention of Satan, the Devil…. | 她只是不想提起 事实上不要提起撒但,魔鬼… |
[15:52] | Miranda was surprised the priest was so flexible. | 米兰达很讶异神父那么好沟通 |
[15:55] | But the truth is, in these troubled times… | 但在不景气的时候 |
[15:57] | the Catholic Church is like a desperate 36-year-old single woman… | 天主教会 就跟绝望的三十六岁女人一样 |
[16:01] | willing to settle for anything it can get. | 他们愿意安于 |
[16:03] | …own forever. | 手边能抓到的东西 |
[16:06] | This is not what I had in mind when you asked if I wanted to go dress shopping. | 你说要出门买衣服时 |
[16:10] | Believe me, I’m less thrilled than you. | 我没想到你要这么做 |
[16:12] | He has to get baptized and wear a dress. | 我比你还觉得无聊 他要受洗,穿上礼服 |
[16:15] | Baby’s first drag show. | 宝宝的处女秀 |
[16:18] | -It’s a very odd tradition. -Don’t even get me started. | -这是项非常奇怪的传统 -别挑衅我 |
[16:21] | It’s all about cleansing this little baby of his sins, when clearly… | 重点是要洗清小宝宝的罪 |
[16:25] | babies come into the world with a clean slate and we’re the ones that fuck them up. | 宝宝纯真地来到这个世界上 是我们污染了他们 |
[16:29] | So, you’re a pessimist, right? | -你是悲观主义者吧? |
[16:32] | Have we met? | -我们认识吗? |
[16:33] | It’s for my book. I have to figure out if I’m an optimist or a pessimist. | 这是为了我的书 我必须想清楚我是乐观主义者 还是悲观主义者 |
[16:38] | And I don’t know anymore. | 我真的不知道 |
[16:40] | -I don’t know what I believe. -Neither do I, and I’m having a baptism. | 我不知道自己相信什么 我也不知道,我要办受洗仪式 |
[16:44] | -So, how do you rationalize that? -one less bath I have to give him. | 你怎么说服自己的? 我可以少帮他洗一次澡 |
[16:48] | Mostly, I’m doing it for Steve. He’s been pretty good to me. | 我会那么做是为了史蒂夫 他一直对我很好 |
[16:51] | Known him for three years, and I didn’t meet his mother till yesterday. | 我认识他三年了 直到昨天才见到他妈妈 |
[16:54] | -What’s she like? -Imagine Steve in a wig, drunk. | -她长什么样子? -想像史蒂夫戴假发喝醉了 |
[16:59] | -Yikes. -Yeah. | -好恶心 -没错 |
[17:01] | So, listen. | 你愿不愿意当布莱迪的教母? |
[17:03] | How would you feel about being Brady’s godmother? | |
[17:06] | Really? What would I need to do? | 真的吗?我需要做什么? |
[17:09] | officially, you provide the baby with spiritual guidance. | 正式地来说 你必须给宝宝心灵上的指引 |
[17:12] | Unofficially, you stand with me so I have somebody to roll my eyes at. | 非正式地来说你要站在我旁边 |
[17:15] | -What do you say? -I don’t know. Spiritual guidance? | 让我有个人可以翻白眼 我不知道…心灵上的指引? |
[17:18] | And there’s cake from some bakery in Queens. | 我们订了皇后区面包店的蛋糕 |
[17:22] | The really sugary kind, with the thick, white icing? | -放了很多糖跟厚厚的糖浆? |
[17:24] | Maybe even a buttercream cross on top. | -或许还有鲜奶油 |
[17:27] | Now you’re talking. | 没问题 |
[17:29] | Spirituality and cake. | 我愿意给他心灵指引跟吃蛋糕 |
[17:34] | That night, Charlotte dragged me to the Fountain of Belief. | 那晚夏绿蒂拉我到信仰之泉去 |
[17:38] | It was mostly women. | 在场几乎都是女人,很明显地 |
[17:40] | Apparently, women are the main market for hope. | 女人是“希望”的主要市场 |
[17:42] | Welcome. Would you like to take an affirmation? | 你要不要抽一张证词? |
[17:45] | Saying no would get us off on the wrong foot… | 拒绝的话我们会被踢出去 |
[17:47] | it being an affirmation and all. | |
[17:50] | -Thanks. -Enjoy. | -谢谢 -祝你玩得愉快 |
[17:53] | ”I believe in the good in people.” That’s nice. What does yours say? | “我相信人性本善”,太棒了 |
[17:58] | ”I believe this is hooey.” | 你的证词写了什么? “我相信这是胡说八道” |
[18:00] | -Are you going to make fun of everything? -No, I’m not that quick. | -你要挖苦所有事情吗? -我的脑筋没动得那么快 |
[18:05] | -What did you do today? -The usual. | -你今天做了什么? -还是一样 |
[18:07] | Helped pick a christening gown for my friend’s illegitimate baby. | 帮我朋友的非婚生子 |
[18:13] | I’m so happy she decided to do a baptism. | 挑选受洗仪式的礼服 我很高兴她决定举行受洗仪式 |
[18:16] | She asked me to be the godmother. | -她请我当孩子的教母 |
[18:18] | -What? -It’s not a big deal. | -什么? |
[18:20] | It is a big deal. It’s a huge responsibility. | -那没什么大不了的 -那是很重大的责任 |
[18:22] | I know people whose friendships have ended… | 我知道很多朋友因此绝交 |
[18:25] | because someone was a disappointing godparent. | 因为有人没办法尽到 当教母的责任 |
[18:28] | Why are you so…. | 你为什么会那么… |
[18:36] | -Did you want to be the godmother? -No. | -你想当孩子的教母吗? -不 |
[18:38] | I just think it wouldn’t kill you to acknowledge that some things are sacred. | 知道这世界上还有神圣的事 并不可怕 |
[18:42] | -I do acknowledge– -We’re not talking. | -我真的… -我们别说话了 |
[18:44] | -We’re not? -No. | -是吗? -没错 |
[18:57] | Are we talking yet? | 我们可以说话了吗? |
[19:02] | okay, let me know when we’re talking. | 你要跟我说话时通知我一声 |
[19:09] | I believe this is going to be a very long evening. | 我相信这会是漫长的一夜 |
[19:17] | I believe we are the only normal people here. | 我相信 我们是这里唯一的正常人 |
[19:24] | I believe in the good in Charlotte… | 我相信夏绿蒂是个好人 |
[19:26] | who dragged me here against my will when I wanted to stay home… | 她不管我的想法拉我来这里 |
[19:30] | and just be negative. | 事实上我只想待在家里 抱着负面想法哭泣 |
[19:40] | What does the gown look like? | 宝宝的礼服长什么样子? |
[19:45] | Table for two. | 两个人 |
[19:49] | I know you’re trying to make me feel bad, but I gotta tell you, that turns me on. | 你想让我难过 却燃起了我熊熊的欲火 |
[19:53] | Right this way. | 这边请 谢谢 |
[20:18] | -Are we okay? -We’re fine. | -我们没事吧? -没事 |
[20:21] | I almost forgot. | 我差点忘了,星期天你要跟我 |
[20:23] | You’re going to Miranda’s baptism with me Sunday. | 一起参加米兰达的受洗仪式 |
[20:26] | It’ll be all day. lt’ll be boring. lt’ll be mandatory. | 它会花掉你整天的时间 既无聊又乏味 |
[20:29] | -What time? -2:00. | -几点开始? -两点 |
[20:32] | Are you going to do the thing again? | -你会再那么做吗? |
[20:34] | No. Are you? | -不会,你呢? |
[20:40] | I love you. | 莎曼珊,我爱你 |
[20:47] | Although he appeared to have reformed… | 虽然他看起来像是改过自新了 |
[20:50] | Samantha wasn’t ready to forgive his sin. | 莎曼珊还没有准备好原谅他 |
[20:53] | Love will come to you… | 你相信自己是个值得爱的人 |
[20:56] | only when you truly believe you deserve it. | 爱才会来到你身边 |
[20:58] | Meanwhile, an hour and 20 affirmations later…. | 同时过了一个小时 听了二十个证词后… |
[21:02] | Love will raise you up… | 爱能够提升你,恐惧令你沮丧 |
[21:04] | fear will pull you under. | 只有爱才是真的 |
[21:06] | only love is real. | 好的,请站起来说 |
[21:09] | Yes. Go on, stand right up. | 我想谢谢你 |
[21:11] | Yes. I just wanted to thank you, Cheryl… because the affirmations have really worked for me. | 这些证词对我非常有效 |
[21:17] | I prayed for love, I believed in love, and last week, I fell in love. | 我祈祷爱的出现,我相信爱 上星期我坠入爱河 |
[21:21] | And he’s perfect and kind and giving… | 他是个完美仁慈 |
[21:24] | and I now know that I deserve that. So, thank you. | 乐于奉献的男人,现在我知道 我值得他那么做,谢谢你 |
[21:28] | Thank yourself. You did it. Isn’t that inspiring? | 谢谢自己吧,你办到了 |
[21:32] | Good. | 那真的是很棒吧? |
[21:42] | Anyone else? | 还有人想说说自己的感觉吗? |
[21:45] | Did you want to say something? | -你有话要说吗? |
[21:46] | -No, l– -Yes. | -不 |
[21:48] | Hi. I was wondering…. | 是的,我一直在想… |
[21:57] | I’m wondering how long that woman was doing her affirmations… | 我一直在想那个女人 |
[22:00] | because I’ve been doing mine every day… | 花多少的时间去相信那些证词 我每天不断地想着我的证词 |
[22:03] | and I want to believe, but nothing is happening. | 我想相信它 但什么事都没有发生 |
[22:09] | I just don’t think it’s working. I just don’t think it will work for me. | 我不认为这个方法行得通 它应该对我没有效果 |
[22:15] | I hear fear. | 我听到了恐惧跟怀疑 |
[22:17] | I hear doubt. | |
[22:19] | You have to believe love to receive love. | 你必须相信爱才能接受爱 |
[22:23] | Keep repeating your affirmations, eventually… | 继续背诵你的证词 |
[22:25] | your heart will catch up with your head. | 你的心会追上你的理智 |
[22:29] | That’s the thing, though. | 但是有一件事 |
[22:31] | I did find love. | 我真的找到了爱 |
[22:34] | I believed that there was someone out there for me… | 我相信白马王子真的存在 |
[22:36] | and I met him, finally… | 我终于遇见了他 |
[22:39] | and we had a beautiful wedding. | 我们举行了盛大的婚礼 |
[22:41] | And then everything just fell apart. | 之后一切都变了 |
[22:44] | And I’m worried. | 我很担心 |
[22:46] | I’m afraid that he took away my ability to believe. | 我害怕他会让我无法再去相信 |
[22:49] | I hate him for that, because I always believed before… | 我恨他因为以前的我相信爱 |
[22:53] | and now I just feel lost. | 现在我觉得很迷惑 |
[22:58] | I’m trying to put myself out there… | 我试着走出去 |
[23:02] | but I feel hopeless. | 但我觉得很无助 |
[23:06] | Perhaps you’re not really putting yourself out there. | 或许你还没有走出去 是 |
[23:14] | No, she’s out there. | 不,她真的走出去了 |
[23:17] | I mean, emotionally and physically. | 不论是在心理上或是在生理上 |
[23:20] | Maybe you’re not looking for love in a real way. | 或许你没有用实际的方法 来寻找爱 |
[23:23] | Maybe you’re not really trying. Maybe you’re not really out there. | 或许你没有努力 或许你没有走出去 |
[23:28] | Believe me, she’s out there. | 相信我,她走出去了 |
[23:41] | Sunday afternoon, we all gathered for a baptism… | 星期天下午我们齐聚一堂 |
[23:45] | in the little church that would. | 在一座小教堂里举行受洗仪式 |
[23:52] | You, with the flower-thing. | 戴着头花的小姐 |
[23:55] | Steve tells me that you’re the godmother. | 史蒂夫告诉我你是教母 |
[23:59] | I’m the godfather. | 我是教父 |
[24:02] | Steve’s second cousin, Patrick. | 史蒂夫的二堂哥派屈克 |
[24:05] | It’d make a good story. Little Brady brought us together. | 你写出了好故事吗? -小布莱迪让我们齐聚一堂 -天啊 |
[24:10] | Someone who isn’t related to Steve. No offense, Patrick. | 有人跟史蒂夫没有亲戚关系 我没有冒犯的意思 |
[24:13] | None taken. | -也没有人在乎 -你来了 |
[24:16] | I’ll check you later, gator. | -待会见,大美人 -好吧 |
[24:24] | -That’s a nice dress. -I didn’t want Brady to show me up. | -这件洋装很漂亮 -我不要布莱迪抢走我的光彩 |
[24:28] | By the way, I think your baby’s godfather… | 我想你宝宝的教父 |
[24:31] | baptized himself with some bad cologne. | 用劣质古龙水帮自己受洗了 布莱迪的教母邀请了 |
[24:34] | Brady’s grandmother invited the folks from Molly Maguires. | 摩莉麦奎尔店里的客人 |
[24:38] | I know you’ve got your hands full with the drunk and the skunk… | 我知道你必须面对 那些醉鬼跟臭虫 |
[24:42] | but I have to tell you something. | -我必须告诉你一件事 |
[24:44] | -I’m too fat to be wearing this, aren’t l? -No. | -我穿这件洋装看起来很胖? |
[24:48] | You look beautiful. No, it’s me. | 不,你看起来很漂亮 |
[24:52] | Are you sure that I am godmother material? | 有问题的人是我 你确定我是当教母的料? |
[24:55] | Shouldn’t you maybe pick someone a bit more maternal? | 你应该挑个更有母爱的人吧? |
[24:59] | No, I like that you’re not. | 不,我喜欢没有母爱的你 |
[25:04] | Here’s the thing. | 我想说的是 |
[25:06] | This is such an awesome responsibility. | 这是一份重责大任 |
[25:09] | I don’t know my own view of the future. | 我不知道自己的未来是什么 |
[25:12] | I think I’m possibly one bad date away from bitter. | 我是一个充满怨气的人 |
[25:16] | Don’t you think that I’m getting a little cynical? | 你不觉得我很愤世嫉俗吗? |
[25:19] | Not compared to me. | 跟我比起来你逊色多了 |
[25:22] | Carrie, you’re my best friend. | 凯莉你是我最好的朋友 |
[25:26] | Just so you know, Charlotte’s dying for the job… | 夏绿蒂很想当宝宝的教母 |
[25:29] | and I think she’d probably be better at it. | 我想她会做得比我好 |
[25:31] | I don’t know if I believe in any of this. But I believe in you. | 我不知道我相不相信这回事 但我相信你 |
[25:36] | I want you to be my baby’s godmother. | 我要你当我孩子的教母 |
[25:42] | I did spring for the hat. | 我把帽子弄得很漂亮 |
[25:47] | Who presents this child to receive the sacrament of baptism? | 谁希望孩子进行受洗圣礼? |
[25:50] | We do. | 我们 |
[26:14] | ”Give him an enquiring and discerning heart. | “让他有好奇聪明的心” |
[26:17] | ”The courage to will and to persevere. | “有乐观坚持的勇气 |
[26:19] | ”A spirit to love, and the gift of joy and wonder. | 跟爱的力量” |
[26:23] | ”in the Lord’s name, we pray.” | “以及快乐幸福的人生 我们以主之名祈祷” |
[26:25] | Lord, hear our prayer. | 上帝,请听听我们的祈祷 |
[26:28] | ”in baptism, we use your gift of water, which you have made a rich symbol… | “在受洗时我们用你赐的圣水 也是你富庶的象征” |
[26:32] | ”of the grace you give us in this sacrament. | “你赐给我们的恩慈 来为宝宝受洗” |
[26:35] | ”Through it, you led the children of lsrael out of their bondage. | “经由它你带领以色列的子民 走过奴役苦难” |
[26:39] | ”Through it, we are reborn.” | “经由它我们得以重生” |
[26:43] | There isn’t enough holy water in the world to cleanse you. | 全世界的圣水 还不够洗清你的罪恶 |
[26:52] | Brady, I baptize you in the name of the Father… | 布莱迪,我以天父 |
[26:59] | and of the Son… | 圣子 |
[27:03] | and of the Holy Spirit. | 及圣灵之名为你受洗 |
[27:06] | Amen. | 阿们 |
[27:09] | I couldn’t help but hope the water would wash away… | 希望圣水能洗净 |
[27:12] | some of my original cynicism. | 我天生愤世嫉俗的原罪 |
[27:18] | Isn’t this the most beautiful goddamn Catholic you’ve ever seen? | 他是你见过 最美得要命的天主教徒吧? |
[27:23] | Sorry, Father. But he’s a cute fucking kid. | 抱歉,神父 但他真的可爱得要命 |
[27:27] | -Honey, congratulations. -I didn’t do anything. | -恭喜你 -我什么都没做 |
[27:31] | You got me to a church. | 你让我走进教堂 |
[27:34] | -Beautiful baby. -Thank you. | -好漂亮的宝宝 -谢谢你 |
[27:37] | And just for the record, I did get scared. | 说真的,我很害怕 |
[27:41] | okay, whatever. Thanks for coming. | 好吧,随便你,谢谢你赶过来 |
[27:52] | He’s such a player. | -他真的很会装 |
[27:54] | I don’t know. Maybe things will work out between them. | -我不知道 或许他们两个会有结果 |
[28:01] | That night, I dedicated my baby… | 那晚我努力地养育我的宝宝 |
[28:04] | my book, to hopeful single women everywhere… | 我呕心沥血写出来的书 |
[28:08] | and one in particular.: | 献给所有充满希望的女人 特别是… |
[28:10] | My good friend, Charlotte… | 我的好朋友夏绿蒂 |
[28:13] | the eternal optimist, who always believes in love. | 她永远都那么地乐观 永远都相信爱 |