时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[07:37] | Ciao Rome! | 你好 罗马 |
[07:41] | Ciao world! | 你好 世界 |
[07:59] | What have we forgotten? | 我们忘记了什么 |
[08:04] | What have we forgotten? | 我们忘记了什么 |
[08:10] | We have forgotten you! | 我们忘记了你们 |
[08:23] | Let me be very clear: | 我再说清楚一点 |
[08:26] | I’m here for one, very simple reason. | 我站在这儿只为一个简单的原因 |
[08:31] | To not forget anyone. | 为了不忘记任何人 |
[08:36] | God does not leave anyone behind. | 上帝不会抛下任何人 |
[08:40] | That is what He told me when I decided to serve Him. | 我决心服务他的时候 他对我这样说 |
[08:45] | And it is what I say to you now. | 现在我转达给你们 |
[08:49] | I serve God. | 我为上帝服务 |
[08:51] | I serve you. | 为你们服务 |
[09:00] | We’ve forgotten the women and children | 我们忘记了女人和儿童 |
[09:06] | who will change this world with their love and their kindness. | 他们用爱和善良改变了世界 |
[09:11] | And with their marvellous, divine disposition to play. | 还是伟大神圣的享乐化身 |
[09:19] | Play is the only authentic means we have | 我们只有通过享乐 |
[09:23] | to make us feel in harmony with life. | 才能与生命相和谐 |
[09:28] | And to be in harmony with God we have to be in harmony with life. | 只有与生命相和谐 才能与上帝相和谐 |
[09:36] | We don’t have a choice: | 我们别无选择 |
[09:38] | We must be in harmony with God! | 只能与上帝和谐共处 |
[09:50] | And what else have we forgotten? | 我们还忘记了什么 |
[10:01] | We have forgotten to masturbate | 我们忘记了自慰 |
[10:06] | to use contraceptives | 避孕 |
[10:12] | to get abortions | 堕胎 |
[10:14] | to celebrate gay marriages | 还有祝福同性婚姻 |
[10:18] | to allow priests to love each other, and even to get married. | 允许神父彼此相爱 甚至走入婚姻 |
[10:24] | We’ve forgotten that we can decide to die if you detest living | 我们忘了一个人如果厌弃生存 就有资格选择死亡 |
[10:30] | we’ve forgotten to have sexual relations | 我们忘记了性生活 |
[10:33] | for purposes other than procreation without feeling guilty! | 不只是为了繁衍这一个目的 |
[10:41] | To divorce, to let nuns say mass | 离婚 让修女主持弥撒 |
[10:47] | to make babies in all the ways science has discovered | 用科学手段培育试管婴儿 |
[10:51] | and will continue to discover. | 并进一步探索科学 |
[10:54] | In short | 总之 |
[10:56] | my dear, dear children | 我最最亲爱的孩子们 |
[10:59] | not only have we forgotten to play | 我们不仅忘记了享乐 |
[11:03] | we have forgotten to be happy. | 还忘记了快乐 |
[11:11] | And there is only one road that leads to happiness. | 通向快乐的唯一途径 |
[11:19] | And that road is called freedom. | 我们称之为自由 |
[11:26] | Sancti Apostoli Petrus et Paulus de quorum potestate et auctoritate confidimus… | 以圣使徒彼得和保罗之名 我们有信心… |
[11:33] | What are you saying, Lenny? What’s all this nonsense? | 你在说什么胡话 莱尼 |
[11:39] | You’re not the Pope, Lenny! | 你不是教宗 莱尼 |
[11:42] | I am the Pope! | 我才是教宗 |
[11:44] | I’m the Pope, and you, Lenny | 我才是教宗 而你 |
[11:46] | are no longer a member of the Church. | 只不过是教廷的一员罢了 |
[11:50] | You are done with God, Lenny. | 你和上帝的关系到此为止了 |
[12:02] | What you mean done? | 什么到此为止 |
[12:05] | I just barely got started with God. | 我才刚刚跟上帝联系上 |
[12:20] | Who are you, Lenny? | 你是谁 莱尼 |
[12:22] | I am a contradiction. | 我是矛盾体 |
[12:25] | Like God. One in three and three in one. | 像上帝 三位一体 |
[12:30] | Like Mary, virgin and mother. | 像玛利亚 是处子也是圣母 |
[12:33] | Like man, good and evil. | 像所有人 是善与恶的交织 |
[12:48] | I am the Pope. | 我是教宗 |
[12:53] | I am the Pope. | 我是教宗 |
[13:19] | Not knowing your tastes, Your Holiness | 不太清楚您的口味 教宗阁下 |
[13:21] | we took the liberty of preparing a little of everything. | 我们就擅自每样都准备了一些 |
[13:23] | Didn’t anyone tell you I don’t eat much? Hardly anything, in fact! | 没人跟你说过我吃的不多吗 几乎不怎么吃 |
[13:27] | All I have in the morning is a Cherry Coke Zero. | 我早餐只喝零度樱桃可乐 |
[13:32] | We will get some right away. | 我们这就去准备 |
[13:34] | – What’s your name? – Domen, Your Holiness. | -你叫什么 -多曼 教宗阁下 |
[13:36] | I am Your Holiness’s major-domo. | 我是您的总管家 |
[13:39] | – Do you know what Domen means? – “One who belongs to God”. | -你知道多曼的含义吗 -“上帝的子民” |
[13:42] | Precisely. So, by transitive property… | 没错 根据所有权转移的原则… |
[13:46] | you belong to me. | 你是我的子民 |
[13:50] | How did you sleep, Your Holiness? | 您昨晚睡得怎么样 |
[13:53] | I had an amusing dream. | 我做了个很有意思的梦 |
[13:56] | Cardinal Ozolins and Cardinal Aguirre were slapping each other | 欧左林主教和奥古雷主教互扇巴掌 |
[13:59] | and I said the most outrageous things to the crowd in Saint Peter’s Square. | 我对圣彼得广场的朝圣者说了一番荒唐的话 |
[14:07] | Well then, I’ll wait here for my Cherry Coke Zero. | 好了 我就在这儿等我的零度樱桃可乐 |
[14:25] | In the meantime would Your Holiness care for a regular Diet Coke? | 您介意普通的健怡可乐吗 |
[14:30] | Let’s not utter heresies, Domen. | 别想这些邪门歪道了 多曼 |
[14:32] | It’s death to settle for things in life. | 人死了之后才能万事将就 |
[14:36] | Holy Father, while you wait, may I present Sister Bice | 陛下 在您等待期间 请允许我介绍碧琪修女 |
[14:40] | from Nepi, in delightful province of Lazio. | 来自拉兹诺省的内皮 |
[14:43] | She will be your personal cook. | 她将担任您的私人厨师 |
[14:45] | Sister Bice also served three pontiffs who came before you. | 碧琪修女服务过您之前的三任教宗 |
[14:50] | When she was young, she was a missionary in India | 她年轻时在印度传教 |
[14:54] | and fortunately for us, she speaks a good English. | 说得一口好英语 是我们的幸运了 |
[14:57] | Well, my sweet Holy Father | 亲爱的教宗大人 |
[14:58] | now what is it you would like to have for your lunch? | 您午饭想吃些什么呢 |
[15:03] | You just tell your Bice what you want | 直接告诉碧琪就好 |
[15:05] | and I’ll prepare it for you. | 我来为您准备 |
[15:07] | Matriciana, pasta e fagioli, carbonara, lasagne… | 各式各样的意大利面之类的… |
[15:12] | Am I mistaken, did she say “my sweet”? | 我没听错吧 她叫我”亲爱的” |
[15:14] | Your Holiness, Sister Bice is rather… quaint. | 教宗阁下 碧琪修女十分… 古雅 |
[15:17] | No, Domen, she is not quaint. | 不 多曼 她不是古雅 |
[15:21] | She’s friendly. Mother… | 她很友好 嬷嬷… |
[15:25] | Let me explain something to you, that you, in your long life | 你漫长的人生里从没明白过这个道理 |
[15:28] | have not yet had the occasion to understand: | 现在我来告诉你 |
[15:33] | Friendly relationships are dangerous. | 友好的关系是危险的 |
[15:37] | They lend themselves to ambiguities | 会带来模糊不清 |
[15:39] | misunderstandings, and conflicts | 误解和争执 |
[15:42] | and they always end badly. | 结局不会太好 |
[15:44] | Formal relationships, on the other hand | 而正式关系 |
[15:47] | are as clear as spring water. | 就如水般清澈 |
[15:49] | Their rules are carved in stone. | 有定好的规矩 |
[15:52] | There’s no risk of being misunderstood and they last forever. | 不会被误解 而且会很长久 |
[15:56] | Now, you need to know | 现在请你记住 |
[15:57] | I do not appreciate friendly relationships. | 我不喜欢友好的关系 |
[16:03] | But I’m a great admirer of formal ones. | 而非常推崇正式关系 |
[16:07] | Where there are formal relationships there are rites | 正式的关系就免不了仪式 |
[16:10] | and where there are rites the earth order reigns. | 有了仪式 世界才有秩序 |
[16:21] | Your Holiness, His Eminence the Cardinal Secretary of State | 教宗阁下 国务卿主教大人 |
[16:25] | and the Prefects of the Various Congregations | 和各教会的主教 |
[16:28] | can’t wait to make your acquaintance and to welcome you. | 都等不及要当面欢迎您 |
[16:31] | Well, they’re gonna have to. | 他们必须得等了 |
[16:33] | Because first I have to drink my Cherry Coke Zero. | 我要先喝我的零度樱桃可乐 |
[17:42] | Look, guys, the Holy Spirit is blowing away. | 各位快看 圣灵在闪耀 |
[17:46] | Speaking of the Holy Spirit, what do you think? | 说到圣灵 你怎么看 |
[17:49] | Did He illumine the cardinals? | 是他启迪了红衣主教吗 |
[17:51] | The naiveté of you Africans is really touching. | 你们这些非洲人真是天真 |
[17:54] | Do you really believe that the Holy Spirit elects the Pope? | 你真的相信是圣灵选择了教宗吗 |
[17:58] | We Africans, no | 作为非洲人当然不信 |
[18:00] | but we Catholics, yes, that is what we believe. | 但作为天主教徒 我们坚信不疑 |
[18:03] | Don’t you, Ozolins? | 你不信吗 欧左林 |
[18:04] | Well the Holy Spirit is not stupid but He is ironic and cunning. | 圣灵当然不傻 可他狡猾又可笑 |
[18:09] | I don’t understand. | 我不懂了 |
[18:10] | What he’s trying to tell you is that here in Vatican… | 他想说的是 在梵蒂冈… |
[18:15] | the Holy Spirit is just another name for Voiello. | 圣灵不过是弗耶罗的别名罢了 |
[18:19] | Belardo is forty-seven years old. | 伯拉多才47岁 |
[18:24] | That’s young. | 很年轻 |
[18:25] | Which means we won’t live to see another pope. How sad! | 也就意味着我们活不到下一任教宗继位了 真可惜 |
[18:30] | Caltanissetta, it’s already a miracle | 卡塔尼瑟塔 你能看见这一任 |
[18:33] | that you’ve lived long enough to see this one. | 已经是个奇迹了 |
[18:38] | I’m not so sure that Voiello has shown good leadership this time. | 我可不敢说弗耶罗这次也选对了人 |
[18:43] | I’ve never really trusted Voiello myself. | 我从来没真正信任过弗耶罗 |
[18:47] | He’s the devil incarnate. | 他就是恶魔的化身 |
[18:49] | Spencer would have been the right choice. | 斯宾塞本该是个很好的选择 |
[18:54] | Far too independent | 他太独立了 |
[18:57] | and that wouldn’t have been a good news for us cardinals. | 这对我们红衣主教来说不是好事 |
[19:05] | True. | 没错 |
[19:07] | But all we have in exchange is a telegenic puppet. | 现在我们只有一个很上镜的傀儡 |
[19:11] | And that means that he can be manipulated. | 这也意味着他可以被操纵 |
[19:16] | This is a masterpiece of Voiello’s diplomatic cunning | 这是弗耶罗狡猾的外交策略 |
[19:19] | the way he shepherded the cardinals’ votes to Belardo. | 他引导红衣主教们投票给伯拉多 |
[19:24] | Now Belardo holds office | 现在伯拉多成了教宗 |
[19:27] | but Voiello is pulling the strings. | 但实际上是弗耶罗操纵着一切 |
[19:29] | And he’ll run things the way we tell him | 而他会听从我们的安排 |
[19:33] | because once again we saved his life. | 因为我们又一次救了他的命 |
[19:38] | I may be African, and I may be naive | 尽管我是非洲人 尽管我很天真 |
[19:41] | but if you ask me… | 但如果你问我… |
[19:43] | you’re simplifying the future to an unhealthy degree. | 我认为你想得简单得过分 |
[19:48] | I’m in agreement with our African colleague. | 我赞成我们非洲同僚 |
[19:52] | What do you mean by that? | 你这是什么意思 |
[19:53] | That you’ve forgotten to ask one fundamental question. | 你忘记了一个最基本的问题 |
[20:03] | What’s Spencer going to do now | 斯宾塞会怎么做 |
[20:07] | that his beloved, detested protégé | 现在他又爱又恨的门徒 |
[20:12] | has become pope? | 成了教宗 |
[20:48] | “My God, my God | “上帝啊 我的上帝 |
[20:51] | why have you forsaken me?” | 你为什么抛弃了我” |
[20:54] | said Jesus before he was about to die. | 基督在临死前这样说道 |
[20:58] | Which is what I say to you now, before I begin to live. | 在我生命开始前 我也这样对你说 |
[21:03] | God’s infinite silence… | 上帝的无限沉默… |
[21:09] | God’s infinite silence… | 上帝的无限沉默… |
[21:13] | God’s infinite silence. | 上帝的无限沉默… |
[21:49] | Your Holiness… | 教宗陛下… |
[21:51] | your sins. | 您的罪恶 |
[21:54] | I don’t have any sins to confess. | 我没有需要告解的罪恶 |
[21:59] | Are you serious? | 您是认真的吗 |
[22:00] | My only sin, and it’s an enormous one | 我唯一的罪恶 也是最大的罪恶 |
[22:05] | is that my conscience does not accuse me of anything. | 就是我的良心从未谴责过我 |
[22:11] | Ego te absolvo peccatis tuis in nomine Patris et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen. | 以圣父圣子与圣灵之名 我宽恕你的罪恶 阿门 |
[22:27] | If I always heard confessions like yours, Your Holiness | 教宗陛下 如果我总是听到您这样的告解 |
[22:31] | I’d be out of a job. | 我会失业的 |
[22:37] | How many confessions do you hear in the Vatican, Don Tommaso? | 你在梵蒂冈听过多少忏悔了 唐·托马索 |
[22:41] | Me? | 我吗 |
[22:44] | The entire Curia | 整个教廷 |
[22:45] | a good number of nuns and priests | 众多修女和牧师的 |
[22:48] | as well as several lay employees who work in Vatican City. | 还有一些在梵蒂冈城工作的员工 |
[23:07] | How old are you? | 你多大了 |
[23:10] | Sixty-one. | 六十岁 |
[23:12] | And how’s your eyesight? | 你的视力怎么样 |
[23:15] | I don’t even wear glasses. | 我都不需要戴眼镜 |
[23:18] | And your hearing? | 听力呢 |
[23:20] | My only problem is my hair, Your Holiness. | 我唯一的问题是头发 教宗陛下 |
[23:23] | You mean it’s falling out? | 你是说脱发吗 |
[23:26] | Not only that. Sometimes it hurts. | 不仅是脱发 有时候还会痛 |
[23:31] | Your hair hurts? | 你的头发会痛 |
[23:37] | Good, very good! | 好 很好 |
[23:47] | I’ll be frank, Don Tommaso, I need you. | 我就直说了 唐·托马索 我需要你 |
[23:51] | You must do something very important | 去做一些非常重要的事情 |
[23:53] | for the eminency of your pontiff. | 为了你的教宗陛下 |
[23:55] | Whatever you wish, Holy Father. Tell me. | 如您所愿 教宗陛下 请讲 |
[23:58] | Come then, I’ll tell you in the confessional. | 来吧 我在忏悔室里跟你说 |
[24:02] | Confessional booths are so beautiful. | 忏悔室真漂亮 |
[24:06] | They look like little mountain huts. | 看起来像山间小屋 |
[24:09] | Do you like the mountains? | 你喜欢山吗 |
[24:12] | I don’t like the snow. | 我不喜欢下雪 |
[24:23] | Here’s what I want you to do. | 我想让你做这件事 |
[28:10] | Ma. | 妈妈 |
[28:12] | Don’t ever call me Ma. Call me Sister Mary. | 不要叫我妈妈 叫我玛丽修女 |
[28:19] | What’s that? | 那是什么 |
[28:24] | My father gave it to me. | 爸爸留给我的 |
[28:26] | You can give it to me if you like. I’ll hold on to it for you. | 如果你愿意的话 我可以帮你保管 |
[28:29] | No. My father said that I should always keep it with me. | 不用了 我爸爸让我随时带在身边 |
[28:56] | Lenny! | 莱尼 |
[28:58] | Sister Mary. | 玛丽修女 |
[29:06] | Here you are, my saint. | 你好 我的圣人 |
[29:08] | No, I’m not a saint. | 不 我不是什么圣人 |
[29:10] | Yes. | 是的 |
[29:13] | Do you still have it on you? | 你还带着它吗 |
[29:20] | Always. | 一直带着 |
[29:24] | What’s this? | 这是什么 |
[29:28] | A replica of the grotto of Our Lady of Lourdes. | 露德圣母教堂岩洞的仿制品 |
[29:31] | It’s being restored. | 正在整修 |
[29:33] | From now on, you’re going to be living at the exact centre of the Church. | 从现在开始 你就住在整个教堂的正中心 |
[29:44] | But I don’t understand. What does that mean? | 我不明白 这什么意思 |
[29:46] | That means that just now | 这意味着就在刚才 |
[29:50] | the centre of the Church took a few steps back. | 教堂正中心退后了几步 |
[29:59] | Do you like the apartment? | 你喜欢这间公寓吗 |
[30:02] | I’ll be just fine here. | 这里很好 |
[30:04] | You’re only a few feet away from me. | 你的住处离我很近 |
[30:06] | On the plane I read this amusing description of Rome: | 我在飞机上看到罗马的一个有趣的说法 |
[30:10] | “A suburb of Vatican City.” | “梵蒂冈城的郊区” |
[30:13] | Well, that’s not exactly true | 虽然不是非常准确 |
[30:17] | but it will be. | 不过也快了 |
[30:39] | What’s wrong, Lenny? | 有什么问题吗 莱尼 |
[30:44] | What’s not wrong, Sister Mary. | 难道没问题吗 玛丽修女 |
[30:52] | North is that way. | 北是这边 |
[30:56] | Where Venice is. | 威尼斯在那里 |
[31:06] | Listen to me, Lenny. | 听我说 莱尼 |
[31:09] | Starting today, you have to lead the Church. | 从今天开始 你要领导教会 |
[31:13] | One billion people. | 十亿人 |
[31:15] | One fifth of the world’s population. | 世界人口的五分之一 |
[31:17] | Do you understand what I’m saying, Lenny? | 你明白我什么意思吗 莱尼 |
[31:20] | One billion people will depend on what you say and do. | 你的一言一行影响着十亿人 |
[31:24] | They’ll make important decisions. happy or sad, of life or death | 他们重要的决策 无论悲喜 生死 |
[31:30] | in order to obey you, in the name of God. | 都听命与你 以上帝之名 |
[31:35] | All of this creates a new perspective. | 这一切带来了全新的视角 |
[31:39] | An immense perspective. | 无限的视角 |
[31:43] | Now, your personal aches, your enormous sufferings | 从现在起 你个人的痛苦 折磨 |
[31:48] | your terrible memories… | 不幸的回忆… |
[31:50] | It’s a harsh thing to say, Lenny, but I have to say it | 这样说很残酷 莱尼 但我必须说出来 |
[31:53] | they must take a back seat. | 这些都要退居其次 |
[31:57] | They are things of this earth. | 这些都无足轻重 |
[31:59] | Do you understand what I’m saying, Lenny? | 你明白我在说什么吗 莱尼 |
[32:03] | I know all your sorrows | 我知道你所有的悲痛 |
[32:06] | I’ve lived with them together with you | 我陪你一起承受 |
[32:08] | I’ve wept over them with you | 也和你一起流泪 |
[32:10] | but now the time has come for you to let your sorrows fade. | 但现在你该忘记那些悲伤了 |
[32:16] | To become irrelevant, distant memories | 让它们随风消散 |
[32:20] | insignificant, vanquished, destroyed and overpowered | 让上帝给予你的重大责任 |
[32:25] | by the terrible responsibility that God has given you. | 消灭战胜那些悲伤 |
[32:31] | From now on, you are no longer Lenny Belardo | 从现在起 你不再是莱尼·伯拉多 |
[32:34] | the fatherless, motherless boy. | 无父无母的男孩 |
[32:38] | From now on | 从现在起 |
[32:41] | you are Pope Pius XIII. | 你是庇护十三世教宗 |
[32:44] | Father and Mother of the entire Catholic Church. | 整个天主教会的父亲和母亲 |
[33:08] | Allow me to say, Your Holiness, what joy! | 请允许我说一句 教宗陛下 何等欢愉 |
[33:12] | What joy! | 这是何等欢愉 |
[33:14] | The Holy Spirit could not have illumined us in a better manner. | 圣灵照耀我们的光辉无比明亮 |
[33:19] | In the name of the entire Church, welcome. | 以天主教会的名义欢迎您 |
[33:22] | May your pontificate be long, radiant, and fruitful. | 愿您的任期长久 辉煌 硕果累累 |
[33:28] | Let’s settle for long. | 长久就够了 |
[33:32] | What a telling joke! | 多有内涵的笑话 |
[33:35] | Jokes are never telling. | 笑话从来都没有内涵 |
[33:38] | They’re jokes. | 只是笑话 |
[33:41] | Well, Holy father | 圣父 |
[33:44] | first of all, a small piece of information | 首先 我出于善意 |
[33:46] | of a practical and picturesque nature… | 提供一个信息… |
[33:49] | Under your desk, on the right, you will find a button. | 在您桌子底下 右手边 有一个按钮 |
[33:53] | If you feel that an encounter is becoming disagreeable | 如果您觉得会面不愉快 |
[33:56] | or a waste of time | 或者是浪费时间 |
[33:58] | all you have to do is to press it discreetly | 就可以私下按按钮 |
[34:01] | and an assistant will swiftly appear with some excuse | 助手会很快出现 |
[34:04] | liberating you from your engagement. | 找理由帮您脱身 |
[34:07] | He’ll lie, in other words. | 也就是说谎 |
[34:09] | Yes, but he’ll have plenty of time and opportunity to repent. | 没错 但他有很多时间和机会来忏悔 |
[34:20] | Well, Holy Father, if you agree | 圣父 方便的话 |
[34:22] | I would like to start with our top priorities. | 我想开始谈我们的首要任务 |
[34:26] | The most urgent of them all | 当务之急 |
[34:29] | is your first homily in Saint Peter’s Square. | 您在圣彼得广场的首次布道 |
[34:32] | There is a great deal of agitation about it | 我们都对此很焦虑 |
[34:35] | something which I, in my long career | 我在漫长的职业生涯里 |
[34:38] | have never quite seen before. | 从没见过这样的事 |
[34:40] | The entire office of the Secretary of State is working on it. | 整个国务卿办公室都在忙这件事 |
[34:45] | I myself worked all night long on a rough draft | 我自己写了一晚上的稿子 |
[34:48] | which I would like to submit you. | 想请您过目 |
[34:50] | The press and the faithful who are coming here | 从世界各地赶来的 |
[34:53] | from every corner of the globe | 媒体和教徒 |
[34:56] | were all convinced that you were going to deliver your homily today. | 都觉得您会在今天布道 |
[35:00] | We did an excellent job at calming their spirits | 我们很好地安抚了他们情绪 |
[35:04] | but at the same time, Your Holiness | 可是同时 教宗陛下 |
[35:06] | I am sorry to say that we can only delay for so long. | 我必须得说我们已经拖太久了 |
[35:11] | Tomorrow would be ideal. | 明天布道再好不过了 |
[35:14] | There, this is the most pressing issue. | 这是最要紧的事 |
[35:20] | The most pressing issue is my need for a cup of American coffee. | 现在最要紧的事是我要喝杯美式咖啡 |
[35:26] | Would you make me one, Your Eminence? | 你能帮我倒一杯吗 主教大人 |
[35:29] | Certainly. Amatucci. | 当然 阿玛图奇 |
[35:32] | I didn’t ask him. | 我没有叫他 |
[35:35] | I asked you. | 我叫的是你 |
[35:39] | It will be a pleasure and an honor for me | 给您倒咖啡 |
[35:42] | to bring you coffee, Your Holiness. | 是我的荣幸 教宗陛下 |
[36:07] | – Thank you, Your Eminence. – It’s my duty, Blessed Father. | -谢谢你 主教大人 -这是我该做的 教宗 |
[36:43] | Holy Father, now, about your homily | 圣父 关于您的布道 |
[36:46] | how would we like to proceed, then? | 您想怎样进行 |
[36:50] | Later. | 再说吧 |
[36:51] | And has the Holy Father already thought of some candidates | 教宗您是否有考虑过特别助理 |
[36:55] | for the delicate role of a special assistant? | 这一职位的候选人 |
[36:57] | – I have an idea. – I do too. | -我有个想法 -我也有 |
[37:00] | Monsignor Gemelli comes to mind… | 我想推荐吉梅里蒙席… |
[37:01] | My idea is Sister Mary. | 我想的是玛丽修女 |
[37:10] | An admirable idea, Your Holiness | 您的想法很棒 教宗陛下 |
[37:13] | and completely understandable. | 完全可以理解 |
[37:16] | Allow me to add, however, that unfortunately | 请允许我补充一下 很可惜 |
[37:19] | the Curia has complex mechanisms | 教廷有复杂的机制 |
[37:23] | which might seem like astrophysics. | 有点像天体物理学 |
[37:27] | Therefore, the Holy Father’s inevitable lack of experience | 教宗陛下难免缺乏经验 |
[37:32] | together with Sister Mary’s inevitable lack of experience | 玛丽修女想必也缺乏经验吧 |
[37:36] | would lead me to suggest an internal contribution… | 所以我想推荐一位内部人选 |
[37:40] | Of course I realize how central Sister Mary seems to you. | 我当然知道玛丽修女对您的重要性 |
[37:45] | We could invent a sort of ad hoc role for her. | 我们可以为她设一个专门的职位 |
[37:49] | We don’t lack for imagination around here. | 我们不乏想象力 |
[37:53] | Yeah. | 没错 |
[37:56] | You’re exactly right, Voiello. She’s central. | 你说的对 弗耶罗 她很重要 |
[38:00] | Sister Mary took me in at her orphanage when I was 7 years old | 玛丽修女在我七岁的时候收养了我 |
[38:04] | She raised me and she loved me. She made me a good Christian. | 她抚养我 关爱我 把我培养成好教徒 |
[38:08] | A great Christian! | 杰出的教徒 |
[38:12] | Monsignor Gemelli is experienced, I would rely on him. | 吉梅里蒙席很有经验 我非常信任他 |
[38:16] | Perhaps you didn’t hear me correctly. | 你没懂我的意思吧 |
[38:19] | Perhaps, Holy Father. My English does have its limits. | 也许 教宗陛下 我的英语水平有限 |
[38:23] | You’d better improve it then. | 你最好多下点功夫了 |
[38:27] | Sister Mary will be my special assistant. | 玛丽修女是我的特别助理 |
[38:31] | As you wish, Holy Father. | 如您所愿 教宗陛下 |
[38:33] | Then, of course, there is the matter of drafting | 还有起草讲稿 |
[38:37] | and delivering your address to the College of Cardinals. | 给红衣主教们演讲的事 |
[38:41] | They’re all still here. | 他们还在这 |
[38:43] | They will not leave the Vatican until you address them. | 演讲完他们才会走 |
[38:48] | Later. | 再说吧 |
[38:49] | In the office of the Secretary | 国务卿办公室 |
[38:51] | we have been wondering if the Holy Father | 在想圣父会不会 |
[38:54] | would care to provide us with some indications | 可以给我们提供一些 |
[38:58] | regarding the draft of an encyclical. | 起草通谕的指示 |
[39:01] | Later. | 再说吧 |
[39:04] | The prefects of the various congregations | 教会的各个会长 |
[39:06] | are of course eager to see you with their own eyes. | 都迫切地想要亲眼见到你 |
[39:10] | But I imagine that you would like to deal with this matter… later. | 但我猜这件事也要… 再说吧 |
[39:15] | No, now. | 不 就现在 |
[39:18] | First off, I want to meet the Prefect for the Congregation for the Clergy. | 首先 我想要见教会神职人员的会长 |
[39:25] | At any rate, Holy Father | 无论如何 教宗陛下 |
[39:27] | I understand your reluctance about the encyclical. | 我理解您对通谕的懈怠 |
[39:31] | Your predecessor always made me laugh | 前任教宗总能逗笑我 |
[39:34] | when he said that… | 他常说… |
[39:36] | an encyclical is like Proust’s “In Search of Lost Time”. | 通谕就像普鲁斯特的”追忆似水年华” |
[39:40] | Everyone quotes it, but no one reads it. | 每个人都爱引用 可从没人读 |
[39:57] | Are you sleeping, Holy Father? | 您睡着了吗 圣父 |
[40:00] | No Your Eminence, I’m praying. | 不 主教大人 我在祈祷 |
[40:04] | For you. | 替你祈祷 |
[40:17] | Stop looking at the Venus of Willendorf in that way. | 别再用那种眼神看沃尔道夫的维纳斯了 |
[40:34] | Holy Father, Holy Father | 圣父 圣父 |
[40:36] | Smoking is not allowed in the papal palace! | 教宗宫殿里禁止吸烟 |
[40:41] | Is that so? | 是吗 |
[40:45] | – Who decided that? – John Paul II. | -谁说的 -约翰·保罗二世 |
[40:48] | -The Pope? – Yes, the Pope. | -教宗 -对 教宗 |
[40:51] | There’s a new Pope now. | 现在有新的教宗了 |
[40:55] | True. | 没错 |
[40:59] | – Your Eminence… – Yes, Holy Father. | -主教大人… -圣父 |
[41:02] | You’re too tied to the past. | 你太拘泥于过去 |
[41:04] | They say the same thing about you, Your Holiness. | 他们也这么说您 教宗陛下 |
[41:10] | The past is an enormous place, with all sorts of things inside. | 过去浩瀚无垠 充斥着各种各样的东西 |
[41:16] | Not so with the present. | 现在就不一样了 |
[41:19] | The present is merely a narrow opening | 现在只有一个狭小的开口 |
[41:21] | with room for only one pair of eyes. | 只容得下一人窥视 |
[41:26] | Mine. | 就是我 |
[41:54] | – Your eminence. – Yes. | -主教大人 -在 |
[41:58] | Our top priorities. | 我们的首要任务 |
[42:00] | Here I am. As I was saying… | 就像我之前所说… |
[42:03] | You will be in charge of politics | 你来掌管政治 |
[42:06] | finance, theology | 经济 神学 |
[42:10] | appointments and promotions. | 会面和升迁 |
[42:12] | I will take care of worldly matters | 我来负责全球事务 |
[42:15] | travel, adulation of the masses, celebrations. | 旅游 奉承 庆祝典礼 |
[42:18] | A most effective division of roles, Holy Father. | 分工非常有效 圣父 |
[42:23] | – Your Eminence. – Yes, Blessed Father? | -主教大人 -是 尊敬的圣父 |
[42:27] | I was just kidding. | 我在开玩笑 |
[42:30] | – That wasn’t obvious? – Hardly! | -不明显吗 -不怎么 |
[42:34] | So, as I was saying, our top priorities are… | 正如我刚才所说 我们的首要任务… |
[42:39] | One: The Radio Vatican signal needs boosting. | 一 梵蒂冈广播电台信号要改善 |
[42:43] | It is unacceptable that reception is so poor. | 信号差得让我难以接受 |
[42:47] | Two: The pope wants to see all the gifts the pope receives. | 二 教宗想要看到他收到的礼物 |
[42:52] | Have a storage facility fitted out for storing all the gifts I receive. | 置办一个房间存放我收到的礼物 |
[42:56] | Three: The Vatican must immediately buy back the papal tiara | 三 梵蒂冈要立马从华盛顿天主教堂 |
[43:01] | from the basilica in Washington DC | 买回教宗冠冕 |
[43:04] | which my predecessors, who favored sobriety over tradition imprudently let go. | 上任教宗重节俭轻传统 竟然把冠冕卖出 |
[43:12] | And four: | 第四 |
[43:14] | Sister Mary will also look after you. | 玛丽修女也将看管你 |
[43:20] | She will oversee all your activities | 她将监督你的所有活动 |
[43:22] | and report directly back to me. | 并直接向我汇报 |
[43:27] | She will be your guardian angel. | 她将担任你的守护天使 |
[43:32] | I’m sixty years, Holy Father. | 我六十岁了 圣父 |
[43:35] | I don’t need a guardian angel. | 我不需要守护天使 |
[43:37] | We all need a guardian angel, Voiello. | 我们都需要守护天使 弗耶罗 |
[43:41] | Especially unscrupulous, ambiguous men. | 尤其是肆无忌惮 举止含混之人 |
[43:45] | Then, please, allow me to choose mine myself. | 那么 请允许我自己选择 |
[43:49] | In another life. | 来世吧 |
[43:51] | In this life | 在今生 |
[43:53] | the Pope chooses your guardian angel for you. | 守护天使由教宗为你选择 |
[43:57] | And he is the Pope. | 而他 就是教宗 |
[44:02] | Did you call for me, Holy Father? | 您找我吗 圣父 |
[44:46] | It all comes back to this in the end, doesn’t it? | 一切最终都回归于此 是吧 |
[44:49] | To the mother. | 回到母亲身边 |
[44:55] | What was your mother like, Monsignor Gutierrez? | 古铁雷斯蒙席 你母亲是什么样的人 |
[45:02] | She was a woman who did not scorn wickedness. | 她并不是个嫉恶如仇的人 |
[45:06] | And it had the effect of creating a son full of goodness. | 而抚养了一个满怀良善的儿子 |
[45:12] | I inquired about you. | 我调查过你 |
[45:15] | Everyone tells me you are a shining example of goodness. | 所有人都说 你是良善的光辉典范 |
[45:20] | I thank you for believing them, Holy Father. | 感谢您相信他们所言 圣父 |
[45:25] | It is I who should thank you | 是我该感谢你 |
[45:27] | for allowing me to be here without hordes of tourists. | 帮我清走成群的游客 让我来这儿 |
[45:30] | That’s my duty, Holy Father. | 这是我的职责 圣父 |
[45:33] | Was it hard to close off the Basilica to tourists? | 关闭教堂不让游客进入难吗 |
[45:36] | No, no, all we had to do was hang up a sign saying “closed”. | 不 不 只需挂一个写有”关闭”的标志 |
[45:52] | I will never shed my aversion to tourists. | 我始终都不喜欢游客 |
[45:58] | Why is that, Holy Father? | 为什么 圣父 |
[46:06] | Because they are just passing through. | 因为他们只是匆匆而过 |
[46:16] | I was late because I couldn’t find your office. | 我来晚了 因为找不到你的办公室 |
[46:21] | I know. You opened the wrong door | 我知道 您开错了门 |
[46:23] | and found yourself face to face with some visitors to our museum. | 面对面撞见了参观我们博物馆的游客 |
[46:27] | So you’ve been inquiring about me too. | 所以你也一直在调查我啊 |
[46:30] | It’s very difficult to keep anything secret here in the Vatican. | 在梵蒂冈 保密是很难的 |
[46:35] | Rumors fly so quickly | 谣言传播极快 |
[46:38] | that sometimes they arrive even before the event has taken place. | 有时候还没有风就起了浪 |
[46:44] | That’s quite a useful piece of information for my future. | 这个建议对我的未来生涯很有帮助 |
[46:48] | Which is exactly what it was intended to be, Holy Father. | 正是此意 圣父 |
[46:52] | What is one to do, Monsignor? | 该怎么办呢 蒙席 |
[46:56] | It’s the times. In America, we call it gossip. | 时代如此 在美国 我们称之为流言 |
[47:01] | Here in the Vatican we call it calumny. | 在梵蒂冈 我们称之为诽谤 |
[47:05] | This way. | 这边请 |
[47:19] | How many years have you been at the Vatican? | 你在梵蒂冈工作多少年了 |
[47:22] | So many that I’ve stopped counting. | 久到无心计数了 |
[47:25] | Do you like it here? | 你喜欢这里吗 |
[47:27] | Yes, I feel safe here. | 喜欢 我在这里感到安全 |
[47:31] | It’s as if time were dead. | 时间好似停滞不前 |
[47:38] | Speaking of that time | 说到时间 |
[47:40] | the other day, during the Conclave | 前几天 在教宗选举会议上 |
[47:42] | I read an Italian newspaper. | 我读了一份意大利报纸 |
[47:46] | It was an article about this politician | 文章写的是一位政客 |
[47:51] | who had hidden some compromising files | 他把一些不能外传的文件 |
[47:54] | in the gaps between the walls of his house. | 藏进了自家的墙缝中 |
[47:58] | Yes, I read about that as well. | 是 我也读到了 |
[48:00] | I thought… | 我便想… |
[48:05] | I wouldn’t need to hide anything in the gaps in my house. | 我无需在我家的墙缝里藏任何东西 |
[48:11] | Because my mind is a gap. | 因为我的头脑就是一道缝 |
[48:15] | And everything that is hidden from me | 一切对我隐藏的的秘密 |
[48:22] | sooner or later… | 早晚有一天… |
[48:25] | is revealed. | 终将暴露 |
[48:29] | As if it were being entrusted to me. | 仿佛早已托付到我手中 |
[48:37] | A precious skill for leading the Church. | 这是领导教会的一项宝贵技能 |
[48:44] | It’s not a skill, Gutierrez… | 这并非技能 古铁雷斯… |
[48:49] | it’s my destiny. | 是我的宿命 |
[51:03] | See how beautiful it is? | 瞧这多美啊 |
[51:08] | Fabulous. | 美轮美奂 |
[51:19] | Go on, Tommaso, don’t be afraid. | 继续说 托马索 别害怕 |
[51:25] | But violating the secret of the confessional is… | 但泄露告解的秘密是… |
[51:27] | No, no, it’s not. | 不 不 这不是 |
[51:28] | Not if the information is intended for me, the Pontiff | 如果是告诉教宗 关乎教会的存亡 |
[51:32] | and is for the survival of our Church. | 那就不算泄密 |
[51:38] | Don’t disappoint me, Tommaso. | 别让我失望 托马索 |
[51:40] | Your Holiness, I’m just a poor, simple priest | 教宗陛下 我只是个可怜的普通神父 |
[51:45] | and the secret of the confessional | 而保守告解的秘密 |
[51:47] | is the only respectable thing I have. | 是我唯一值得尊敬的职责了 |
[51:50] | Today. But think of tomorrow. | 今天如此 但想想明天 |
[51:53] | Scarlet robes and the ring are in your future. | 未来的你红衣加身 戒指在手 |
[51:58] | The cardinalship, my dear. | 亲爱的 红衣主教 |
[52:01] | Which is much more respectable. | 更加受人尊敬 |
[52:05] | What if someone hears us? | 如果被人听到怎么办 |
[52:09] | Only He can hear us up here. | 在这里 只有主能听到 |
[52:12] | Who knows where He is? | 谁知道主在哪里呢 |
[52:18] | There! By the big dipper. | 在那儿 北斗七星旁边 |
[52:23] | That’s where God’s house is. | 那就是上帝的住所 |
[52:26] | God’s house! | 上帝的住所 |
[52:28] | What’s it like? | 像什么样 |
[52:31] | Half of a duplex, with a private swimming pool. | 半套双拼屋 带私人泳池 |
[52:38] | Come on now, tell me people’s sins. | 来吧 告诉我人们的罪行 |
[52:44] | Well… | 好吧… |
[52:47] | have I already told you about Voiello’s impure thoughts | 我说过弗耶罗对沃尔道夫的维纳斯 |
[52:51] | about the Venus of Willendorf? | 有过不洁的念头吗 |
[52:53] | Yes, yes you told me already. What else? | 是的 你跟我说过了 还有呢 |
[53:03] | No, nothing… | 不 没什么… |
[53:06] | Cardinal Aguirre did an imitation of you today, Your Holiness. | 教宗陛下 奥古雷主教今天模仿了您 |
[53:12] | – Everyone laughed. – Did you laugh? | -大家都笑了 -你笑了吗 |
[53:22] | Yes, but to myself. So no one noticed. | 笑了 不过是偷偷笑的 没人注意到 |
[53:27] | Good. What else? | 很好 还有呢 |
[53:33] | Everybody is wondering who Sister Mary is to you | 大家都在猜测玛丽修女和您的关系 |
[53:38] | what she’s doing here. | 她在这里做什么 |
[53:41] | What else? | 还有什么 |
[53:43] | Everybody is also wondering: | 大家也在想 |
[53:46] | Is the Pope thinking about his first homily? | 教宗是否在考虑他的第一次布道 |
[53:51] | I ask myself the same thing all the time. | 我自己也一直在想这个 |
[53:53] | Of course I’m thinking about it. | 我当然在考虑 |
[53:57] | It’s all I think about. I even dreamed about it. | 我满脑子想着这事 梦里都是它 |
[54:03] | I’m going to let you in on a secret: | 我要告诉你一个秘密 |
[54:06] | Ever since I was little, I’ve learned to confound people’s ideas of what’s going on in my head. | 从小我就学会了让人们看不透我的想法 |
[54:13] | You’re so wise, Holy Father. | 您是如此睿智 圣父 |
[54:16] | Not only that | 不仅如此 |
[54:19] | I’m also intransigent | 我还顽固不化 |
[54:22] | irritable | 暴躁易怒 |
[54:25] | vindictive… | 报复心强… |
[54:29] | and I have a prodigious memory. | 而且记忆力惊人 |
[54:34] | And now I want to make my confession. | 现在我想告解 |
[54:36] | Fine. Let’s go back downstairs. | 好 我们下楼吧 |
[54:38] | No, here. | 不 就在这儿 |
[54:41] | Before the house of God. | 在上帝的住所前 |
[54:45] | Okay. | 好的 |
[54:51] | In nomine Patris, et Filii et Spiritus Sancti. | 以圣父 圣子 圣灵的名义 |
[54:54] | God, my conscience does not accuse me | 上帝 我未受良知的谴责 |
[54:59] | because you do not believe I am capable of repenting. | 因为你不相信我能够忏悔改过 |
[55:05] | And therefore, I do not believe in you. | 因此 我也不相信你 |
[55:09] | I don’t believe you are capable of saving me from myself. | 我不相信你能从我自己手中拯救我 |
[55:14] | Holy Father, what are you saying? | 圣父 您在说什么 |
[55:20] | I’m saying that I don’t believe in God, Tommaso. | 我说 我不相信上帝 托马索 |
[55:24] | What are you saying, Blessed Father? | 您在说什么啊 尊敬的圣父 |
[55:26] | Tommaso, Tommaso. | 托马索 托马索 |
[55:32] | I was joking. | 我在开玩笑 |