时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[01:27] | – You can join. – Let’s go there. | -你可以来 -走 |
[01:28] | – Are you serious? – Here you go. | -你是认真的吗 -好了 |
[01:30] | No, it’s fine. We’ll– | 不 没关系 |
[01:32] | We can get it without the flash next time? | 下次能不能不要开闪光灯 |
[01:35] | So why the name “Fuse”? | 为什么要起名叫”融合”呢 |
[01:37] | Uh, seemed appropriate for a dating app. | 只是觉得这名字很适合约会软件 |
[01:40] | I like the two uses. | 我喜欢两用 |
[01:40] | You know, the lighting of a fuse, | 熔丝发出的灯光 |
[01:42] | the-the fusing of joints. | 关节的融合 |
[01:44] | You know, two things sort of… locked together. | 两件东西…结合在一起 |
[01:46] | That makes sense. | 非常形象 |
[01:47] | -Ni– It’s nice. – Anyway, this is what I say: | -很不错 -我想表达的意思是 |
[01:50] | “Fuse” isn’t a dating website as such, you know? | “融合”不仅仅只是一个约会网站 |
[01:52] | In a brave new world, there is so much choice, | 在一个勇敢的新世界中 选择太多 |
[01:55] | and so many options, it’s nice to have a guide. | 机会太多 能拥有一个向导也是不错的 |
[01:58] | I like “guide.” I think maybe I’ll just end on that. | 我喜欢”向导”的概念 不如就以这个收尾吧 |
[02:01] | So where is this gonna, you know, be appearing? | 那这段会登在哪里 |
[02:04] | Uh, Sunday magazine, the Times. | 《纽约时报》周日刊 |
[02:06] | Cool. | 不错 |
[02:07] | Well, you know, thank you very much for your time. | 非常感谢你愿意抽出时间 |
[02:10] | – It’s nice to meet you. – You have something to string together there. | -认识你很高兴 -你要整理的素材很多 |
[02:12] | Oh, no, good. I-I did want to ask, though, | 不 没事 但我还是想问一下 |
[02:15] | have you, have you ever been in love yourself? | 你自己有没有爱过 |
[02:18] | I’m sorry? | 什么 |
[02:20] | I was asking if you yourself have ever been in love. | 我想问问你有没有爱过 |
[02:24] | Yeah. Uh… | 嗯… |
[02:27] | No one’s ever asked me that in an interview before. | 以前的采访中 没人问过这个问题 |
[02:31] | Oh. Oh, well, I don’t have to print it. | 我可以不登出来 |
[02:32] | – Print-print what? – That story that’s written all over your face. | -登什么 -你的脸上流露出的故事 |
[02:47] | Really? Is it that obvious? | 真的吗 这么明显吗 |
[02:51] | Have you got a few minutes? | 你有时间吗 |
[03:07] | Sorry, you guys. | 对不起 伙计们 |
[03:07] | We’re running, like, another five minutes late. | 我们要迟五分钟 |
[03:09] | Uh, we are so sorry. | 很抱歉 |
[03:10] | – Totally fine. – All good. | -没问题 -没关系 |
[03:12] | Really? Because, uh, I-I have more interviews to go to. | 真的吗 我还要去参加别的面试 |
[03:15] | Oh. I’m so sorry about that. I’ll try to hurry them along. | 很抱歉 我尽量催一下 |
[03:18] | That’d be great, because we’re already ten minutes late. | 太好了 因为已经迟了十分钟了 |
[03:20] | Thank you for that information. | 谢谢你的告知 |
[03:30] | I like that you did that. | 我挺你 |
[03:32] | I mean, they shouldn’t keep us waiting. | 他们不该一直让我们等着 |
[03:33] | Of course, it does put you at a bit of a disadvantage now, | 不过这可能会让你不一定能 |
[03:36] | in terms of… getting the job. | 得到这份工作 |
[03:39] | I don’t care. | 我不在乎 |
[03:40] | It’s important to represent who you are at these things. | 重要的是你要在这种事上表明态度 |
[03:43] | We’re not late for them; they shouldn’t be late for us, right? | 我们按时到了 他们也不该让我们等着 |
[03:46] | Joshua. J-Josh. | 我叫乔什亚 叫我乔什 |
[03:48] | – Emma. – Andy. | -我叫艾玛 -我叫安迪 |
[03:56] | How much for me to head off? | 你愿意给我多少钱让我退出 |
[03:59] | Because I am totally getting this job. | 因为这个工作肯定会是我的 |
[04:01] | – Really? – Huh. Yeah. It’s the accent. | -真的吗 -是的 因为我的口音 |
[04:03] | – They love it. – Right. | -他们特别喜欢 -是啊 |
[04:04] | Give me a hundred bucks, I-I’ll leave it to you. | 给我一百块 我就让给你 |
[04:06] | I don’t need an unfair advantage. | 我不需要走后门 |
[04:08] | Right. Okay. | 好吧 |
[04:10] | – Where’d you go to school? – Harvard. | -你什么学校的 -哈佛 |
[04:12] | Oh, for God’s sake, really? | 上帝啊 真的吗 |
[04:13] | No, just joking. I didn’t go to college. | 不 开玩笑的 我没上过大学 |
[04:16] | You know, that might actually be worse for me, | 这对我来说可能很不利 |
[04:18] | ’cause it’s like self-made, edgy. | 这相当于是自学 新潮 |
[04:20] | You know? They’d love that around here. | 他们这里就喜欢这样的 |
[04:22] | Educated on the streets. | 自己摸爬滚打 |
[04:24] | Taking the pulse of the common man. | 清楚普通人的品味 |
[04:30] | I don’t know why I did that. | 我也不知道我为什么要这么做 |
[04:31] | – When did– did you just think – That was stupid. | -你什么时候…你以为 -太蠢了 |
[04:32] | you could pull that off? | 你能摆个帅气的造型吗 |
[04:34] | – Hey, Emma? – Yeah. | -艾玛 -是我 |
[04:35] | – Come on through. – Oh, thanks. Uh, oh, well. | -来吧 -谢谢 好了 |
[04:38] | It was nice to have met you. | 认识你很高兴 |
[04:41] | Good luck, yeah. | 祝你好运 |
[04:47] | – So who got the job? – She did. | -最后谁得到了工作 -她 |
[04:50] | Ah, she beat you. | 她击败你了 |
[04:52] | Not exactly. Uh, you know, | 也不算是 你知道的 |
[04:53] | we sat there for all of five minutes, | 我们一起坐了五分钟 |
[04:54] | and I knew I wanted to see her again. | 我就知道我还想再见她 |
[05:02] | Hey. How did it go? | 怎么样 |
[05:03] | – Oh. Hey. – You get it? | -你好 -你得到这份工作了吗 |
[05:06] | I have no idea. | 我不知道 |
[05:07] | What– You should really head back up there, though. | 怎…你该赶紧回去 |
[05:09] | They’re all wondering what happened to you. | 他们都想知道你怎么了 |
[05:11] | That’s all right. This is more important. | 没关系 这更重要 |
[05:13] | What’s more important? | 什么更重要 |
[05:14] | If I do the interview, how would I ever see you again? | 如果我去面试 那我怎么才能再见到你 |
[05:17] | You’d be gone by the time I came out. | 等我出来 你早就走了 |
[05:20] | So you just gave up your shot at a steady well-paid job | 你放弃了争取一份稳定高薪工作的机会 |
[05:24] | so that you could see me again? | 只为了能再次见到我吗 |
[05:26] | Are you sure you’re not just, like, | 你确定你不仅仅是 |
[05:27] | some random guy off the street? | 一个路人吗 |
[05:28] | Because if you are, this is a really good way | 因为如果你是 那这真的是 |
[05:30] | – to get a date with someone. – So we’re going on a date? | -约人的好办法 -我们要约会了吗 |
[05:34] | Yeah. What else am I gonna do? | 是啊 不然我还能怎么办 |
[05:36] | I don’t have another interview for three days. | 我接下来三天都没有别的面试 |
[05:38] | – Me either. – Okay. | -我也是 -好吧 |
[05:39] | So then what do two unemployed people do in New York City | 那么两个在纽约城里没工作的家伙早上9点30分 |
[05:42] | at 9:30 a.M.? | 该去干什么 |
[05:44] | The question is: What don’t we do? | 你该问 我们不该干什么 |
[05:52] | So we just walked around, exchanging life stories. | 于是我们到处散布 交流我们遇到的事 |
[05:57] | She told me about her plans to develop a file sharing app. | 她告诉我她关于开发文件分享应用的想法 |
[06:00] | I told her about my ideas to set up a dating site. | 我告诉她我关于创建约会网站的想法 |
[06:05] | Oh, my God. | 天啊 |
[06:17] | – So I wonder how they met. – Who? | -不知道它们是怎么认识的 -谁 |
[06:20] | These two. | 它们俩 |
[06:22] | They met here. What, do you think they, like, met downtown | 它们在这里认识的 你以为它们在城里认识 |
[06:24] | and decided to move up here together? | 然后决定一起搬到这里吗 |
[06:27] | They– All the animals meet here. I know. | 它们…这些动物都是在这里认识的 |
[06:29] | I-I’m just saying, I wonder how… | 我只是想说 我想知道 |
[06:31] | I wonder how this all works, you know? | 我想知道它们是怎么样的 |
[06:33] | – Dating in the animal kingdom. – You’re obsessed. | -动物王国中的约会 -你魔怔了 |
[06:36] | Just fascinating to me | 我只是很好奇 |
[06:37] | what that initial spark is, you know? | 最初的火花是什么 |
[06:39] | I don’t really think that animals have that. | 我觉得动物没有那种东西 |
[06:41] | I think they just choose someone to have sex with and, | 我觉得它们只会选择交配的对象 |
[06:45] | as long as it’s the right species, just… bang it out. | 只要是同一个物种 就上了 |
[06:48] | – They just bang it out, do they? – Bang it out. | -它们就上了 对吧 -上了 |
[06:50] | But you don’t know that. Maybe they’re just really good | 但是你也不知道 也许它们很厉害 |
[06:52] | at knowing when Mr. Or Mrs. Right comes along. | 知道什么时候会遇见自己的真命天子或天女 |
[06:58] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[06:59] | So then why don’t you ask him | 那你不如问问它 |
[07:01] | what you would ask your, uh, customers? | 你要问你客户的问题 |
[07:04] | O-Okay. Uh– | 好吧 |
[07:05] | Hello. Hey, yeah. Hello. Yep. | 你好 你好 |
[07:07] | Come on. Sit down. Thank you. | 来 坐下 谢谢 |
[07:08] | So, uh… | 那么 |
[07:10] | What are you looking for in… a leopard? | 你喜欢怎样的…雪豹 |
[07:13] | “You know, just… leopard stuff.” | “就是…雪豹的样子” |
[07:16] | – Is that the voice you’re going for? – Yes. “That is my voice.” | -你要用这种声音吗 -“我就是这声音” |
[07:19] | – That’s the voice we’re going for? – “That’s my voice.” | -你要用这种声音吗 -“我就是这声音” |
[07:20] | So, wait, what-what do you mean, “leopard stuff”? | 等等 什么叫”雪豹的东西” |
[07:22] | Do you have any preferences? | 你有什么偏好吗 |
[07:24] | “Well, you know, it doesn’t really matter. | “其实这不重要 |
[07:26] | – Just as long as she’s got the spots.” – Spots? | -只要她有斑点 -斑点 |
[07:29] | That’s it? So even a cheetah would do? | 就这样吗 所以猎豹也可以吗 |
[07:31] | “No. No, no. | “不不不 |
[07:33] | “I don’t like me no cheetahs. | “我不喜欢猎豹 |
[07:35] | “Uh, I prefer leopard spots. | “我更喜欢雪豹纹 |
[07:37] | And I can tell the difference.” | 我能看出区别” |
[08:00] | And yet love is so universal. | 而爱是如此共通 |
[08:05] | We understand so little about animals, except that. | 我们对动物的了解这么少 但爱是共通的 |
[08:17] | Hey, are you okay? | 你没事吧 |
[08:19] | Yeah. Yeah, I’m fine. | 嗯 我没事 |
[08:37] | I have this theory | 我有个理论 |
[08:38] | that a relationship is kind of like a rocket, | 感情就像是火箭 |
[08:41] | and you’re trying to get it into space. | 你要努力把火箭发射到太空 |
[08:42] | And all you need is enough fuel | 你只需要足够的燃料 |
[08:45] | to get you out of the Earth’s atmosphere, | 让你离开地球的大气层 |
[08:46] | and then it’ll keep going, no matter what you throw at it, | 然后不管你扔什么 它都会继续 |
[08:49] | in the, in the direction it was launched. | 往航线方向上升 |
[08:51] | It’s all about the first explosion. | 最重要的就是第一次爆炸推进 |
[08:53] | Yeah, less about do we have what it takes for our whole life, | 重点其实并不在于要如何共度一生 |
[08:58] | and more about that… that initial thrust. | 而是…最开始的推力 |
[09:03] | Our first six months were, like, | 我们前六个月 |
[09:05] | as close to perfect as you can imagine. | 几乎可以称作完美 |
[09:08] | We moved in together. | 我们搬到了一起 |
[09:21] | I hit if off with both her parents. Both. | 我和她的父母都处得很好 都很好 |
[09:23] | Even her dad. | 连她爸爸都喜欢我 |
[09:27] | I even bought her an engagement ring. | 我甚至给她买好了订婚戒指 |
[09:31] | Which I hid, waiting for the perfect night to spring it. | 我藏了起来 等待着在一个完美的夜晚拿出来 |
[09:37] | Then… we got knocked off course. | 然后…我们就突然脱轨了 |
[09:41] | Hey, you’re back early. | 你回来得早了 |
[09:45] | Got an earlier train. | 搭了早一班的车 |
[09:47] | Just finishing something, | 等我这边告一段落 |
[09:49] | then let’s go out to eat, my treat. | 我们就出去吃一顿 我请客 |
[09:53] | How’s home? How’s your mom? | 家里怎么样 你妈妈怎么样 |
[10:03] | Hey, what’s up? | 怎么了 |
[10:08] | I fucked up. | 我搞砸了 |
[10:10] | What are you talking about? | 你在说什么 |
[10:12] | Remember that guy that I told you about? | 你还记得我和你说过的那个人吗 |
[10:15] | Uh, the one from high school. My first boyfriend. | 高中的那个 我的初恋 |
[10:18] | Yeah. Uh, I remember you said he got married. | 嗯 我记得你说他结婚了 |
[10:21] | He did. And then he wasn’t. | 他是结婚了 现在离了 |
[10:25] | And, um, I saw him at this bar. | 我在一个酒吧遇到了他 |
[10:28] | And his wife left him a couple months ago, | 他的妻子几个月前离开了他 |
[10:32] | so we were hanging out, and I sort of… | 于是我们就在一起 我有点… |
[10:35] | let him go back in time a little bit. | 听他回忆起以前 |
[10:41] | Did you, um, sleep with him or just kiss him? | 你和他上床了还是只是亲吻 |
[10:44] | I slept with him. | 我和他上床了 |
[10:45] | – Okay, bye. That’s all I need to know. – For, like, ten seconds. | -再见 知道这些就够了 -只有十秒左右 |
[10:47] | And then I stopped it and I came straight back to you. | 我就马上刹住了 回来找你了 |
[10:50] | I don’t know, maybe this was just one crazy moment before us. | 我不知道 也许这只是我们的一个考验 |
[10:54] | Because I love you, Joshua. I love you. | 因为我爱你 乔什亚 我爱你 |
[10:57] | That’s not love. That’s guilt. Love is trust. | 那不是爱 那是负罪感 爱是信任 |
[11:01] | No, it isn’t. | 不是的 |
[11:01] | That’s all it is. That’s the only currency, and you broke it. | 爱就是信任 只有信任 但被你打破了 |
[11:04] | This isn’t your website manifesto. | 这不是你的网站标语 |
[11:06] | Love is lots of things! | 爱有很多元素 |
[11:35] | I did what lots of people do | 我做了很多人被迫 |
[11:36] | when they’re forced away from the thing they love. | 离开爱人时会做的事 |
[11:38] | You know, I-I threw myself into work. | 我投身于工作 |
[11:41] | Ironically, the very thing that got me through | 讽刺的是 帮我度过我情伤的 |
[11:44] | my romantic pain was romance. | 正是爱情 |
[11:47] | Reading about it, watching it, researching it. | 对爱情进行研读 观察和研究 |
[11:51] | I started seeing other people again. | 我开始和其他人交往 |
[11:53] | You know, it was a slow recovery, | 虽然恢复过程很缓慢 |
[11:55] | but I started having faith in people. | 但是我慢慢开始恢复对人的信任 |
[11:59] | The statistics I was reading about | 我所了解到的数据 |
[12:01] | contradicted the ill will I had towards the entire romantic community. | 跟我对于爱情关系所产生的厌恶恰恰相反 |
[12:06] | Uh, people actually generally don’t fuck up. | 并不是人人都会搞砸 |
[12:11] | Yeah, it gave me hope. | 这给了我希望 |
[12:15] | And then, about a month ago… | 然后 大概一个月前 |
[12:46] | For that moment, I realized I hadn’t really been… | 那一刻 我意识到我过去两年来 |
[12:51] | fully alive for the past two years. | 都不能算是好好活过 |
[12:55] | I met amazing people. | 我遇见过很多很棒的人 |
[12:57] | Bright, funny, caring. | 聪明 风趣 温柔 |
[13:05] | But none of them was her. | 但她们都不是她 |
[13:10] | On that street, for one fleeting moment, | 走在那条街上 那一刻 |
[13:13] | I came alive again. | 我重新活了过来 |
[13:15] | Jesus. | 上帝啊 |
[13:18] | So what did you do? | 于是你做了什么 |
[13:20] | I made an excuse, | 我找了个借口 |
[13:21] | and I left lunch with my girlfriend to call her. | 在午餐时避开我的女友 给她打了个电话 |
[13:42] | It turns out, she’s engaged. | 原来她订婚了 |
[13:45] | Fuck! | 该死 |
[13:47] | For two years. | 订婚两年了 |
[13:50] | That’s a long time. | 这可真是够久的 |
[13:52] | I know I can’t just break up with her | 我知道我不能先甩了她 |
[13:54] | and then years later interrupt her life, right? | 又在好几年后打扰她的生活 |
[13:57] | You need to tell her, and more importantly, | 你要告诉她 更重要的是 |
[13:59] | you need to tell your girlfriend. | 你要告诉你的女友 |
[14:01] | I broke up with her, that night. | 我当天晚上就和她分手了 |
[14:04] | She’s a lovely person, you know, | 她是一个很好的人 |
[14:05] | every box I would look for to be ticked, but… | 符合我的一切标准 但是 |
[14:08] | I don’t know, after seeing Emma again, I just realized… | 我也不知道 见了艾玛以后 我意识到 |
[14:13] | It was like the leopard dating the cheetah. | 这就像是雪豹在和猎豹约会 |
[14:15] | Can I quote that bit, please? | 我能引用你这句话吗 |
[14:17] | – No. – Please? | -不行 -拜托 |
[14:18] | No, this is totally not part of the interview. | 不行 这一段绝对不能包含在采访里 |
[14:21] | That is not the image I want to put out there. | 我可不想以这幅形象示人 |
[14:23] | Fucking lovesick CEO of a dating agency. | 作为相亲机构的总裁竟然还害相思病 |
[14:26] | Trust me, you will never rest | 相信我 如果你不去尝试 |
[14:28] | if you don’t at least give it a shot. | 你永远不会安心 |
[14:30] | You can’t carry this your whole life. | 你不能背负着这遗憾一辈子 |
[14:33] | Believe me, not knowing will mess you up, | 相信我 未知会让你混乱 |
[14:36] | and potentially any other woman you might meet. | 还会影响你以后交往的所有女人 |
[14:39] | And if she’s really moved on, then at least you can move on | 如果她真的往前看了 那至少你也能往前看 |
[14:44] | and meet other people. | 去和别人交往 |
[14:48] | Hang on a second. How are you so sure of all this? | 等等 你怎么能这么肯定 |
[14:53] | Got a few minutes? | 有时间吗 |
[14:56] | Yeah. | 嗯 |
[15:05] | He was a senior in college, | 他是一名出国 |
[15:07] | studying Shakespeare abroad, and I was a 22-year-old | 学习莎士比亚文学的大四学生 我是一名22岁 |
[15:10] | war photographer living in Paris, | 住在巴黎的战争摄影师 |
[15:12] | and we met in a bar in the Caribbean. | 我们在加勒比的一家酒吧里相遇 |
[15:14] | Wait, I think I’ve heard this exact story before. | 等等 我觉得我听过一模一样的故事 |
[15:16] | – What? – I’m joking. Is that real? | -什么 -我开玩笑的 这是真的吗 |
[15:20] | Most people are like, “We met in college | 大多数人都会说”我们在大学相遇 |
[15:22] | “and then again at a party two years later | “然后两年前在一个派对上又重逢了 |
[15:24] | and then we had some coffee.” | 我们就一起喝了杯咖啡” |
[15:26] | Yeah, I guess it was an adventure, yeah. | 的确很具有冒险元素 |
[15:28] | Sounds like The English Patient. | 听起来像《英国病人》 |
[15:31] | Yeah. | 是啊 |
[15:32] | I thought about him every day. | 我每天都在想他 |
[15:36] | Then a couple weeks after I visited him in London, | 在我去伦敦找他的几周后 |
[15:38] | he-he stood me up. | 他放了我鸽子 |
[15:41] | Yeah, he was supposed to come visit me in my apartment | 他原本约好周末来巴黎 |
[15:43] | in Paris for the weekend, and he never showed. | 到我家找我 但是他没有出现 |
[15:47] | God, it just burned me to know why he never showed up. | 天啊 我无比想知道他为什么一直没有出现 |
[15:51] | Wasn’t that as perfect an opening to a relationship as you can get? | 这难道不是完美的开始感情的桥段吗 |
[15:56] | I just couldn’t understand how it could be | 我就是不明白为什么他对我的感觉 |
[15:58] | so different for him than it was for me. | 和我对他的感觉有如此大的差异 |
[16:02] | And all I had to remember him by | 我只能通过我和他的这张旧照片 |
[16:05] | was this one old photo of us. | 来回忆他 |
[16:08] | So, I stuck it in a book | 于是我就把这张照片塞进一本书里 |
[16:10] | and I carried it around with me, | 一直带在我的身边 |
[16:13] | from apartment to apartment, | 跟着我从一个公寓搬到另一个公寓 |
[16:15] | from relationship to relationship, | 从一段感情走入另一段感情 |
[16:18] | and even into my marriage. | 甚至走进了我的婚姻 |
[16:23] | So, uh, where you going? | 你要去哪里 |
[16:26] | Uh, to my book signing upstate. I’ll be back tomorrow. | 去郊区的签售会 我明天回来 |
[16:29] | What about the boys? | 孩子们怎么办 |
[16:31] | I told you. It’s a four-hour train ride. | 我说了 坐火车要四小时 |
[16:33] | I’m going directly to the book signing, | 我要直接去签售会 |
[16:35] | and then I’m gonna stay at a really nice hotel | 然后我会住在一个出版商好心 |
[16:38] | that the publishers were kind enough to put me up in. | 给我安排的豪华酒店里 |
[16:40] | Why don’t you guys come? You and the boys. | 你和孩子们为什么不一起来呢 |
[16:43] | We could totally make a weekend out of it. | 我们可以再那儿度过一个周末 |
[16:45] | Remember them? Weekends? | 还记得周末的感觉吗 |
[16:46] | You know, I don’t feel like half a day’s travel. | 我不是很想花上半天出去 |
[16:49] | Plus, I think the kids have a game. | 再说了 我记得孩子们还有比赛 |
[16:52] | See you tomorrow. | 明天见 |
[17:00] | “I watched the little girl prepare tea at the stove. | “我看着那小女孩在炉子前准备茶水 |
[17:04] | “There were no parents. | “她的父母不在 |
[17:06] | “We sat, the three of us, together, sharing tea | “我们三个坐了下来 喝着茶 |
[17:09] | “and Khajoor biscuits, | “吃着卡约饼干 |
[17:11] | “just looking into one another’s eyes and giggling. | “看着对方的眼睛 傻傻笑着 |
[17:16] | “I didn’t take a single picture that day. | “那天 我一张照片都没有拍 |
[17:19] | “These are the moments I remember. | “我只记得那些时刻 |
[17:22] | “These are the days that wash over me. | “我只能回忆起那些时光 |
[17:26] | The days I left my camera at home.” | 我将照相机拉在家里的时光” |
[17:31] | – Thank you so much. – Thank you so much. | -谢谢你 -谢谢你 |
[17:33] | It was, uh, it was my hope, so I appreciate it. | 这一直是我的希望 所以很谢谢你 |
[17:49] | It really is you. | 真的是你 |
[17:50] | And it-it, uh… | 这… |
[17:53] | it really is, it’s you. | 真的是你 |
[17:55] | Oh, my God. | 天啊 |
[17:57] | Hello. | 你好 |
[17:59] | – Hello. – Hello. | -你好 -你好 |
[18:01] | – How you been? – Great! | -你还好吗 -很好 |
[18:04] | But it was, it was Paris that we were supposed to meet in. | 但是我们应该是在巴黎见面的 |
[18:07] | Yeah? And it was 15 years ago? – 17 years ago. | -而且应该是15年前吧 -17年前 |
[18:12] | I lost your book. | 我弄丢了你的书 |
[18:14] | I lost the book you wrote your address in. | 我弄丢了写着你地址的书 |
[18:22] | Let me remember. It was– what was it? | 我想想 那是…那是什么书 |
[18:24] | – Anna Karenina. – Anna Karenina. | -《安娜·卡列宁娜》 -《安娜·卡列宁娜》 |
[18:26] | – Right? – Yes. | -对吧 -没错 |
[18:31] | What a– this is, this is a really nice coincidence. | 这…这真是太巧了 |
[18:35] | It’s not a coincidence. I saw your picture, | 这不是巧合 我看到你的照片 |
[18:36] | uh, online advertising this thing. | 网上的这个广告 |
[18:38] | Oh. And I said, “I can’t believe it. | 我就想”真不敢相信 |
[18:40] | She’s gonna be here in my hometown.” | 她要来我的家乡了” |
[18:41] | So I’ve been waiting three months just to see you. | 于是我这三个月一直在等着你 |
[18:43] | Actually, 17 years | 其实是等了 |
[18:45] | and three months to see you. | 17年零3个月 |
[18:47] | – Yeah. – And I can’t believe it’s you. | -是啊 -真不敢相信真的是你 |
[18:50] | And you haven’t changed a bit. | 你一点都没有变 |
[18:53] | I, uh, I have to get… | 我…我得… |
[18:57] | – so, to get back, but, I mean… – Oh, yeah. | -要让后面… -好吧 |
[18:59] | – Uh, y-you’re here to sign books. I understand. – I am. | -你是来签售的 我明白 -是的 |
[19:00] | And thank you for coming. It was so, uh… | 谢谢你的到来 这真是… |
[19:03] | – Okay. – Okay. | -好 -好 |
[19:05] | I wrote my number on that. | 我把我的号码写在这上面了 |
[19:07] | Uh, if you’re staying in town, you want to get a cup of coffee | 如果你要在镇上留一段时间 想喝杯咖啡什么的 |
[19:10] | or something, just give me a holler. | 就打给我 |
[19:10] | 茱莉·法布尔 《军阀》 | |
[19:11] | Yeah. Thanks. | 好 谢谢 |
[19:12] | No, I have to rush back home to my husband and two children. | 不 我得赶紧回家陪我丈夫和两个孩子 |
[19:16] | – Of course. – Thank you, though. | -当然了 -还是谢谢你 |
[19:19] | It was so lovely seeing you. | 见到你真是太好了 |
[19:28] | Hello. | 你好 |
[19:31] | Hi. | 你好 |
[19:33] | It’s so wonderful to meet you. | 见到你真好 |
[19:35] | I love your work. | 我喜欢你的作品 |
[19:35] | 登机牌 迈克尔·瓦尔 | |
[19:37] | Thank you so much for coming to our town, Julie. | 谢谢你来到我们的镇上 茱莉 |
[19:40] | So it turned out that he hadn’t stood me up. | 原来他没有爽约 |
[19:45] | Somewhere deep down, I knew it. | 内心深处 我就知道他不会的 |
[19:53] | – Good night. – Thank you. | -晚安 -谢谢 |
[20:12] | I can’t believe that you lost my copy of Anna Karenina. | 真不敢相信你弄丢了我的《安娜·卡列宁娜》 |
[20:15] | I did. | 我弄丢了 |
[20:15] | And I’ve never been able to-to read that book because of that. | 就因为这个 后来我一直无法再看那部作品 |
[20:19] | I have no idea what happens. | 我不知道后面的情节 |
[20:20] | Oh. Well, there’s brilliant prose, | 后面是很优美的抒情 |
[20:23] | and then she kills herself, | 然后她自杀了 |
[20:24] | and then just some more brilliant prose. | 然后又是一大段优美的抒情 |
[20:27] | What, you couldn’t look after it better? | 你就不能看好点吗 |
[20:30] | It was the one thing you had to do. | 你只要做好这一件事就好了 |
[20:32] | Who steals a book? | 谁会偷书 |
[20:35] | I was on a Paris train. I had the book in front of me. | 我当时在巴黎的火车上 书就放在我面前 |
[20:38] | It’s a big book. | 那是一本很大的书 |
[20:39] | I figured I got to go to the bathroom first | 我想着我先去上个厕所 |
[20:41] | – before I read this thing. – Oh, right. | -然后慢慢读 -好吧 |
[20:42] | And then I went there, I came back, the book was gone. | 然后我去了厕所再回来 那本书已经不见了 |
[20:45] | Nothing else, just the book. | 只有书不见了 |
[20:46] | Maybe one of our spouses came back from the future, | 也许是我们的一个子孙后代从未来穿越过来 |
[20:49] | alter the past, and they stole the book. | 改变了过去 偷走了那本书 |
[20:52] | Yeah. | 嗯 |
[20:54] | Life could’ve been different. | 人生可能就不一样了 |
[20:56] | Then I wouldn’t have had my children, so there is that. | 那我就不会有我的孩子们了 这也不好 |
[20:59] | – Me either. – You have children? | -那我也不会 -你有孩子了吗 |
[21:01] | – Two kids. – And wh– uh… | -两个孩子 -你… |
[21:03] | you’re calling up old flames? | 你给他们用旧情人的名字起名吗 |
[21:06] | I’ve only had one old flame. | 我只有一个旧情人 |
[21:12] | I got married a year after I left Europe. | 我离开欧洲一年后就结婚了 |
[21:15] | Quickly. | 很快 |
[21:16] | I got married quickly | 我很快就结婚了 |
[21:18] | ’cause I was afraid of losing someone else. | 因为我害怕再次失去 |
[21:22] | Maybe a bit impulsive. | 也许有点冲动 |
[21:27] | Hi. Thank you. | 你好 谢谢 |
[21:29] | Sorry. | 抱歉 |
[21:32] | Are you still with your wife? | 你现在依然和你妻子一起吗 |
[21:34] | We’re under the same roof, put it that way. | 我们只能说是共同居住在一个地方 |
[21:37] | She’s a good woman: beautiful, great person, | 她是个好女人 美丽 温柔 |
[21:40] | great with the kids, and I don’t deserve her. | 对孩子们也很好 我不配拥有她这么好的女人 |
[21:46] | So, what are we doing here, Michael? | 那我们这是在做什么 迈克尔 |
[21:48] | Why did you show up at my signing? | 你为什么要来我的签售会 |
[21:55] | What were you hoping would happen? | 你希望会发生什么 |
[21:59] | I was hoping that we could carry on where we left off | 我希望我们能再续前缘 |
[22:05] | and that I’d get a second chance | 让我能拥有第二次机会 |
[22:08] | and that we’d both be in a place in our life | 然后我们俩就能 |
[22:10] | where we could fall in love again. | 重拾爱情 |
[22:14] | For 17 years and three months, | 这17年3个月来 |
[22:16] | I’ve been fantasizing that our attraction | 我一直幻想着我们之间 |
[22:18] | and our spark would still be there, | 还有当初的火花和爱意 |
[22:20] | and I take you to a hotel room, and we sleep there. | 我带你去酒店 我们一起度过一晚 |
[22:24] | And then we agree to go back to Paris | 然后我们同意一起回到巴黎 |
[22:26] | and find that romance that we lost as adults. | 重新找回年轻时失去的爱情 |
[22:35] | Michael. | 迈克尔 |
[22:42] | We don’t have to stay in a hotel room | 我们不需要走进酒店 |
[22:43] | to find out we still love each other. | 才发现我们还爱着彼此 |
[22:45] | We do, clearly. | 我们显然还爱着 |
[22:47] | Just the idea of you | 只要想到你 |
[22:49] | just got me through a lot, a lot in life, | 就能让我熬过很多事 |
[22:52] | and, uh, just knowing you existed, you… | 知道你还在这世上 你… |
[23:04] | Come here. | 来 |
[23:12] | Let’s get out of here. | 我们走吧 |
[23:17] | Sometimes you realize that true love | 有时候你会意识到 |
[23:20] | in its absolute form has many purposes in life. | 真正的真爱在人生中有很多不同的意义 |
[23:30] | It’s not actually just about bringing babies into the world | 不仅仅只局限于诞下婴儿 |
[23:33] | or romance or soul mates or | 享受浪漫 灵魂伴侣 |
[23:37] | even lifelong companionship. | 或者终身伴侣 |
[23:46] | The love we had in our past, | 我们过去的爱 |
[23:48] | unfinished, untested, lost love, | 未经考验 没有收尾就失去的爱 |
[23:54] | seems so easy, so childish | 对于那些安定下来的人来说 |
[23:56] | to those of us who choose to settle down. | 是那么的轻率 幼稚 |
[24:00] | But, actually, it’s the purest, most concentrated stuff. | 但其实这是最纯净 最浓烈的情感 |
[24:13] | I don’t think we got any sleep back then. | 我觉得我们当时基本都不用睡觉 |
[24:16] | Now I can hardly keep my eyes open one night. | 我现在熬了一晚就睁不开眼睛了 |
[24:20] | I’m here. | 我到了 |
[24:22] | Well, dawn is for lovers and bakers. | 爱侣和面包师才会享受清晨 |
[24:28] | – I got something for you. – Yeah? | -我有东西给你 -是吗 |
[24:32] | I happen to know you don’t have a copy of this book. | 我知道你没有这本书 |
[24:38] | It’s got brilliant prose, | 这本书里有优美的抒情 |
[24:39] | and she dies, then some more brilliant prose. | 然后她死了 然后又是更多优美的抒情 |
[24:43] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[24:49] | Be well. | 保重 |
[24:52] | I will. | 我会的 |
[26:12] | I want to work on this. | 我想试一试 |
[26:33] | – How’d it go? – I think we’re done. | -怎么样 -我觉得我们到此为止了 |
[26:55] | Damn. | 该死 |
[27:42] | “And then, the CEO mask comes off, | “然后 他褪下了总裁的面具 |
[27:45] | “and I meet Joshua for the first time. | “我第一次见到了真正的乔什亚 |
[27:48] | “The polished young dot-com whiz kid disappears, | “原本光鲜的年轻成功网络精英不见了 |
[27:52] | “and what’s left is an emotionally complex young man | “只剩下一个内心饱含复杂的情绪 |
[27:55] | “who’s thrown everything he has at his website. | “却投身于自己网页的人 |
[27:59] | “Then he tells me what must be the most romantic story | “然后他和笔者说起了一个 |
[28:02] | “of love at first sight this writer has heard | “乍听起来是很久以来最为动人的 |
[28:05] | “in a very long time. | “爱情故事 |
[28:06] | It’s about an ex of his. We’ll call her Emily.” | 那是关于他的前女友的故事 我们称她为艾米丽” |
[28:11] | Bathroom. | 去厕所 |
[28:22] | “Here’s this kid bringing thousands of people together, | “这个年轻人促成了上千人的结合 |
[28:25] | “and yet he’s all alone, | “但他却孑然一身 |
[28:28] | “carrying a torch that’s so bright, | “他手中的火炬是那么明亮 |
[28:30] | “it’s burning him. | “连他自己都被灼伤了 |
[28:36] | “Joshua doesn’t want to wake up in 20 years’ time | “乔什亚不想在20年后醒来 |
[28:39] | “and regret his silence. | “却后悔于自己当初的缄默 |
[28:43] | “His story reminds me of my own. | “他的故事让我想起了我自己 |
[28:46] | Of a love unlived and untested.” | 那一段未经考验和体验的爱情” |