时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:12] | Greetings, four-wheeled friends. | 问候你们 开车的朋友们 |
[00:16] | Dave, do you ever just say “hi”? | 戴夫 你能简单说嗨吗 |
[00:19] | Nay. | 不嘞 |
[00:21] | Look at you guys, out for a bike ride. | 你们出去骑自行车啦 |
[00:23] | Yeah. Back in Kalamazoo, we used to take family rides all the time. | 是啊 我们住卡拉马祖时总是全家骑行 |
[00:27] | Not on Old Duck Lane, of course, | 当然了 不去老鸭巷 |
[00:29] | with all the traffic. | 交通拥挤 |
[00:33] | Well, around here, if you see a grown man on a bike, | 在这附近 如果你看到一个成年人骑车 |
[00:35] | his sidepiece slashed his tires. | 他的轮胎可能被”备胎”扎破了 |
[00:38] | What’s a sidepiece? | 什么是备胎啊 |
[00:41] | Oh, well, it’s when a guy… | 就是当一个人… |
[00:42] | Dave! | 戴夫 |
[00:45] | …gets an extra piece of chicken. | 多吃了块鸡肉 |
[00:48] | Cool! Then next time, I’m gonna get a sidepiece. | 酷 那下次我也要备胎 |
[00:54] | Well, I don’t know about you, but I sure worked up an appetite | 我不知道你怎么想 但确实引起我 |
[00:57] | for our double date tonight. | 对今晚四人约会的期待 |
[00:59] | Double date? | 四人约会 |
[01:00] | Who’s the unlucky couple? | 另外不幸的一对是谁 |
[01:04] | We are. | 是我们 |
[01:06] | What? | 什么 |
[01:07] | Tina, I thought you and I were going to The Lobster Factory. | 缇娜 我以为咱们要去龙虾工厂 |
[01:10] | Uh, we are, but the Johnsons are coming with us, | 是的 但强森一家跟我们一起去 |
[01:13] | and we’re not going to The Lobster Factory. | 而且我们不去龙虾厂 |
[01:16] | We’re going to this hip new place called Sprout and Jar. | 我们要去一个新潮的地方叫萌芽罐子 |
[01:19] | I’ve been dying to try it. | 我很想去那试试 |
[01:21] | Everything’s served in mason jars. | 所有菜都装在玻璃罐里 |
[01:23] | Except for the drinks, which come to the table | 除了饮料 是放在公共水槽里 |
[01:25] | in a communal trough. | 端上桌的 |
[01:28] | Come on, Tina. | 拜托 缇娜 |
[01:30] | Saturday is one of my cheat days. | 周六是我放松的日子 |
[01:32] | I just want to go to a classy place, | 我只想去一个高雅的地方 |
[01:34] | where, you know, I can put on a bib | 你懂的 能让我戴上围嘴 |
[01:36] | and suck butter off my fingers. | 把手指上的黄油吸掉 |
[01:39] | I know, baby. | 我知道 宝贝 |
[01:41] | That’s why we didn’t ask you. | 所以我们没有问你 |
[01:44] | Calvin, don’t worry, | 卡尔文 别担心 |
[01:45] | Sprout and Jar has a lobster dish. | 萌芽罐子有龙虾这道菜 |
[01:48] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[01:49] | It’s an aerated foam served in a balloon. | 是一种装在气球里的充气泡沫 |
[01:53] | Sounds good, doesn’t it? | 听起来不错吧 |
[01:54] | Your usual words, nay. | 你常说的 不嘞 |
[02:09] | – Wow, this place is really nice. – I know. | -这地方真不错啊 -是吧 |
[02:12] | Everything they serve here is farm-to-table. | 这里所有的菜品都是从农场直接到餐桌 |
[02:15] | Well, as long as they kill it somewhere in between, | 只要中途把活物弄死 |
[02:17] | I’m good. | 就没问题 |
[02:21] | Ooh, Calvin, check this out. | 卡尔文 看看这个 |
[02:23] | The menus are printed on rice paper. | 菜单印在米纸上 |
[02:25] | When you’re done ordering, you can eat them as an appetizer. | 点菜后 你可以把它当作开胃菜吃 |
[02:28] | I don’t know. | 不好说 |
[02:30] | I-I don’t want to fill up on menu. | 我不想用菜单填饱肚子 |
[02:34] | Hey, babe… | 亲爱的 |
[02:35] | didn’t this used to be Alfreeda’s check-cashing place? | 这里以前不是阿尔弗雷达兑现支票的地方吗 |
[02:37] | Yeah, until the cops found out | 是的 直到警察发现之前 |
[02:39] | it was also Alfreeda’s drug-dealing place. | 这也是阿尔弗雷达的毒品交易场所 |
[02:42] | You see? Just another example | 看到没 又是一个 |
[02:44] | of gentrification taking over a fine, locally owned business. | 中产阶级接管本地优秀企业的例子 |
[02:50] | Greetings. | 欢迎光临 |
[02:51] | Thank you for the opportunity to nourish you. | 感谢各位让我们有机会来滋养你们 |
[02:55] | Doesn’t anybody just say “hi” anymore? | 现在已经没人正常打招呼了吗 |
[03:00] | We have a reservation under Johnson. | 我们用强森的名字预定了位置 |
[03:02] | We prefer not to use the term “reservation” | 我们不喜欢用”预订”[保留地]这个词 |
[03:04] | out of respect to Native Americans. | 出于对美洲原住民的尊重 |
[03:07] | Then how do we do this? | 那我们该怎么说 |
[03:10] | We also prefer you don’t use the world “how.” | 我们也希望你不要用”怎么”这个词 |
[03:16] | I’m sorry, we’re running a bit behind. | 抱歉 翻台速度有点慢 |
[03:18] | It’s gonna be about an hour and a half. | 大约得等一个半小时 |
[03:20] | An hour and a half? | 一个半小时 |
[03:22] | How long does it take to shove a lobster in a balloon? | 把龙虾塞进气球能花多长时间 |
[03:27] | You know, that-that is a long wait. | 我说 这得等挺长时间了 |
[03:29] | Maybe we should go someplace else. | 也许咱该换个地方 |
[03:31] | Well, I did just read about a new soul food restaurant | 我刚看到新开了一家南方餐厅 |
[03:34] | around the corner. | 就在拐角处 |
[03:34] | Ooh, that sounds good. | 听起来不错 |
[03:36] | Gemma, are you cool with that? | 杰玛 你不介意吧 |
[03:38] | I mean, sure, it just took me six weeks to get the reserva… ? | 当然不介意 我只花了六个星期才预定到… |
[03:41] | table holding. | 才有了桌子 |
[03:44] | Calvin, what do you say? | 卡尔文 你怎么说 |
[03:47] | So I guess you think all black people want soul food. | 你是觉得黑人都喜欢南方菜呗 |
[03:52] | N… N-No. I’m sorry, I didn’t… | 不 抱歉 我没有 |
[03:53] | I’m just kidding with you, man. Hell yeah, let’s go. | 我逗你呢 哥们 快走吧 |
[03:58] | You know what? I’m just gonna grab a menu | 那什么 我得拿张菜单 |
[04:00] | for a little snack on the way. | 在路上垫垫肚子 |
[04:05] | Hey, hey, party people! | 派对党们 |
[04:07] | Yo, what’s up, man? | 你好啊 兄弟 |
[04:08] | So, what’s this school project you need help on, Grover? | 你有什么学校作业需要帮忙的 葛罗弗 |
[04:11] | Is it a report on a foreign country? | 是关于外国的报告吗 |
[04:12] | Because if it’s Madagascar, | 因为如果是马达加斯加岛 |
[04:14] | the capital is Antananarivo. | 首都是塔那那利佛 |
[04:18] | Actually, I have to interview people in my neighborhood, | 其实我的作业是采访邻居 |
[04:20] | so I thought I’d do a podcast. | 我想录个播客 |
[04:22] | Oh, your very own podcast. | 自己录播客 |
[04:24] | That’s pretty cool, man. | 很不错啊 伙计 |
[04:25] | Yeah, you know, it’s not as cool | 是啊 虽然比不上 |
[04:27] | as having a pen pal in Antananarivo, but… | 交个塔那那利佛的笔友 但是 |
[04:30] | Sit down. | 坐下 |
[04:31] | The podcast is called Gabbin’ with Grover. | 播客的名字叫”和葛罗弗聊天” |
[04:34] | My dad helped me with the theme song. | 我爸帮我创作了主题曲 |
[04:36] | Okay, well, let’s do it, then. | 好的 那我们开始吧 |
[04:38] | *Gabbin’ with Grover, Gabbin’ with Grover * | *葛罗弗唠嗑时间 葛罗弗唠嗑时间* |
[04:40] | *Gabbin’ our cares away* | *把忧虑通通丢在一边* |
[04:43] | *Ice cream or wizards, kickball or lizards* | *聊雪糕 聊魔术师 聊踢球 聊蜥蜴* |
[04:45] | *Whatever’s on his mind today, hey, hey.* | *心里想什么就聊什么 嘿嘿* |
[04:51] | – It’s catchy, it’s catchy. – It’s nice, nice. Nice. | -非常朗朗上口 -不错 不错 |
[04:54] | There’s three more verses. Want to hear ’em? | 后面还有几段呢 要不要听 |
[04:55] | – Hell no. – Hell no. | -当然不要 -当然不要 |
[04:59] | Okay, then let’s start. | 好 那我们开始录吧 |
[05:02] | Hey, Mrs. Sweeney and the rest of room 14. | 斯威尼老师 14班的其他同学 大家好 |
[05:05] | Except Spencer. | 斯宾塞除外 |
[05:06] | I heard about your birthday party. | 我知道你开过生日派对了 |
[05:10] | So, I’d like to welcome my first guests, | 欢迎到场的首批嘉宾 |
[05:12] | Malcolm and Marty Butler. | 来自巴特勒家的马尔科姆和马蒂 |
[05:14] | Hey, hey! What’s up, Mrs. Sweeney? | 斯威尼老师 你好 |
[05:16] | Uh, hello, everyone, except Spencer. | 大家好 除了斯宾塞 |
[05:18] | Not cool, bro. | 这样可不好 兄弟 |
[05:21] | Okay, let’s start with you, Marty. | 你先来吧 马蒂 |
[05:23] | All right, you got it. What’s on your mind, little man? | 按你说的来 你想问什么 小家伙 |
[05:26] | You have a really cool job, you’re super smart, | 你有份很棒的工作 又很聪明 |
[05:29] | and you dress nice. | 而且穿衣服也很有品味 |
[05:31] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[05:32] | So why don’t you have a girlfriend? | 但是你为什么没有女朋友呢 |
[05:35] | Wha… What? | 什么 什么 |
[05:38] | You know… | 你懂的 |
[05:39] | why don’t girls like you? | 为什么你不讨女孩子喜欢 |
[05:47] | Well, well, uh, w-well… | 这个嘛 这个 这个 |
[05:49] | Uh, uh, uh, answer the question, man. | 回答问题啊 伙计 |
[05:51] | Room 14 wants to know. | 14班想知道答案 |
[05:57] | Now, this is what I’m talkin’ about. | 我说的就是这种 |
[06:00] | Got pictures of our people on the wall, | 墙上挂着有人像的画 |
[06:03] | and it smells just like my grandmama’s kitchen. | 闻起来像我外婆家的厨房 |
[06:06] | And did you hear what the waitress said when we walked in? | 你听到进来的时候服务员说的什么吗 |
[06:08] | She said, “Hi.” | 她说了”嗨” |
[06:11] | Which is more than what Calvin’s bitter old grandma ever said to me. | 卡尔文幽怨的古董外婆都没对我说过这么多话 |
[06:16] | Lord rest her soul. | 愿她安息 |
[06:19] | Let’s see. | 看看有什么吃的 |
[06:20] | Cracklin’ Bread. Hoppin’ John. | 猪皮玉米面包 豌豆米饭 |
[06:23] | Ooh, hush puppies. | 油炸玉米饼 |
[06:24] | I’m gonna get those. They sound adorable. | 我要这个 名字听起来很可爱 |
[06:28] | Mr. And Mrs. Butler! How you folks doing? | 巴特勒先生和夫人 最近还好吧 |
[06:30] | – Hey. – Hey, Daryl. | -好啊 -好啊 达瑞尔 |
[06:32] | I see you finally grew into that head. | 看来你总算长大了啊 |
[06:36] | How’s your mama and them? | 你妈妈他们还好吧 |
[06:38] | Who’s “Andem”? | 谁是他们 |
[06:40] | That’s black for “er’body.” | 就是黑人说的”每个” |
[06:44] | Which is black for “everybody.” | 也就是黑人说的”每个人” |
[06:48] | So, does anyone have any questions about the menu? | 有人需要介绍一下菜单吗 |
[06:50] | I do. | 我 |
[06:51] | What exactly are chitterlings? | 什么是粉肠 |
[06:58] | Dave, Dave, Dave, we say | 戴夫 戴夫 我们一般叫 |
[06:59] | “chitlins.” | “肠” |
[07:01] | It’s boiled pig intestines. | 是煮过的猪大肠 |
[07:02] | It’s a black delicacy. | 是黑人的美食 |
[07:04] | I have trouble digesting things that, you know… | 我不太能消化 |
[07:08] | digest things. | 消化器官 |
[07:11] | We just had vegan meat loaf at your house last week. | 我们上周在你家吃了素肉 |
[07:14] | Consider this payback. | 这就当作你的报应好了 |
[07:19] | And I had to sit… | 我不得不在 |
[07:22] | in that lost-and-found for over an hour | 失物招领处坐了一个多小时 |
[07:24] | before my mama came and got me. | 然后我妈才来接我 |
[07:28] | Is it any surprise that I have abandonment issues?! | 我害怕被甩 还会觉得意外吗 |
[07:34] | Can we please be done with the interview? | 采访可以结束了吗 |
[07:36] | I stopped asking you questions, like, ten minutes ago. | 我十分钟前就没问你问题了 |
[07:43] | So, let’s move on to Malcolm. | 接下来到马尔科姆了 |
[07:45] | Oh, thank God. | 谢天谢地 |
[07:48] | All right, bring on the questions, G-man. | 问吧 葛兄弟 |
[07:51] | Unlike my brother, I’ve had a ton of girlfriends, | 我和我弟弟不一样 我有很多女朋友 |
[07:54] | I’m emotionally stable, | 我的情绪很稳定 |
[07:55] | and I’ve never lost my swimsuit on a waterslide. | 我在滑水滑梯时候泳裤也没掉过 |
[07:58] | Yeah, I didn’t lose it. You pulled it down. | 我没掉过 是你扯下来的 |
[08:02] | Okay, Malcolm. You wanted to be a professional baseball player | 马尔科姆 在你受伤之前 |
[08:05] | before you got hurt, right? | 你曾经想成为职业棒球运动员 |
[08:07] | Uh, yeah, that’s right. | 是的 你说的很对 |
[08:09] | Are you that good at anything else? | 那你还有其他的特长吗 |
[08:11] | And if not, does that make you sad? | 要是没有的话 你会不会觉得很难过 |
[08:22] | well, that’s a complicated question. | 这个 这个问题比较复杂 |
[08:24] | It’s okay. Take your time. | 没关系 慢慢说 |
[08:29] | Looks like he yanked your swimsuit down. | 现在他把你的泳裤给扯下来了 |
[08:36] | Excuse me. | 抱歉 |
[08:37] | I am smackin’ so loud, I’m embarrassed. | 我吃东西的声音太大了 很尴尬 |
[08:41] | I’m sorry, Grandmama, | 抱歉 外婆 |
[08:42] | but somebody’s giving your food a run for its money. | 但是有人的厨艺和你不相上下了 |
[08:47] | I think you’re looking in the wrong direction. | 我觉得你看错方向了 |
[08:52] | Sweetie, are you okay? | 亲爱的 你没事吧 |
[08:54] | You’re looking a little sweaty. | 你看起来出汗有点多 |
[08:56] | it’s the spice. | 因为辣 |
[08:59] | Oh, my mouth has been numb since that first hush puppy. | 吃第一块油炸玉米饼时我的嘴就麻了 |
[09:03] | Dave, what your white body is reacting to | 戴夫 用我们的话说 |
[09:07] | is a thing we like to call flavor. | 让你的白人身体起反应的叫做风味 |
[09:10] | This is the food of our people– | 这就是体现了我们的人民 |
[09:13] | our blood, sweat and tears, | 我们的血汗和眼泪的食物 |
[09:15] | 400 years of resilience in every dish. | 每道菜中都蕴含了四百年的民族韧性 |
[09:18] | Oh, Lord, he’s going into preacher mode. | 天呐 他要开启传教士模式了 |
[09:22] | It’s pride on a plate. | 这就是餐盘上的骄傲 |
[09:24] | Soul in a bowl. | 饭碗中的灵魂 |
[09:26] | Hot damn in the hot sauce! | 辣到极致的辣酱 |
[09:30] | – Hallelujah. – Yeah, hallelujah. | -哈利路亚 -哈利路亚 |
[09:33] | How’s everyone doing here? | 大家用餐感觉如何 |
[09:34] | I could use another glass of ice water. | 请给我再来杯冰水 |
[09:38] | Everything was amazing, Daryl. | 一切都非常惊艳 达瑞尔 |
[09:40] | I mean, this food really takes me back, man. | 这顿饭真的带我回到过去的时光 |
[09:43] | Give my compliments to the chef. | 代我向主厨致敬 |
[09:44] | Why don’t you tell him yourself? | 要不你自己跟他说吧 |
[09:46] | Chef Mitchell! | 米切尔主厨 |
[09:47] | Someone wants to meet you. | 有人想认识你 |
[09:58] | Thanks for coming to my restaurant. | 谢谢光临我的餐厅 |
[09:59] | How are we enjoying everything? | 大家用餐还愉快吗 |
[10:03] | I’m guessing he looks nothing like your grandma. | 我猜他跟你外婆长得一点也不像 |
[10:13] | Whenever you’re ready. | 用餐完毕 我会替您去拿账单 |
[10:16] | These desserts are even better than the main course. | 这些甜点甚至比主菜更好吃 |
[10:19] | Yeah, the yellow cake is great. | 没错 鸡蛋糕很好吃 |
[10:21] | Again… | 虽然还是 |
[10:23] | a little spicy, but… | 有点辣 但是… |
[10:26] | …but great. | 但是很好吃 |
[10:28] | Well, baby, you haven’t touched your dessert. | 宝贝 甜点你碰都没碰 |
[10:31] | You know what? You’re right. | 你说得对 |
[10:32] | There. I touched it. | 好了 我碰了 |
[10:36] | Oh, come on, Calvin. | 别这样 卡尔文 |
[10:37] | You were raving about the food | 你没发现主厨是白人之前 |
[10:38] | before you found out the chef was white. | 还对这里的餐点赞不绝口的 |
[10:41] | That’s before he tricked me into thinking it was delicious. | 那是他骗我 让我觉得这很美味 |
[10:45] | Tina, this is a classic example of appropriation | 缇娜 这是典型的 |
[10:48] | a white chef stealing black cuisine. | 白人厨师窃取黑人菜式 |
[10:52] | Stealing? I wouldn’t call it stealing. | 窃取 我觉得这算不上窃取吧 |
[10:54] | Uh, someone who’s not of my culture | 一个不属于我的文化的人 |
[10:57] | cooking my culture’s food? | 烹饪我的文化中的食物 |
[11:00] | You don’t see me making avocado toast. | 你没看到我做牛油果吐司吧 |
[11:04] | But isn’t all cooking kind of appropriation? | 但难道不是所有的烹饪都有借鉴吗 |
[11:06] | I mean, I’m not Italian, but I make spaghetti all the time. | 我虽然不是意大利人 但我经常做意大利面 |
[11:09] | And I’m not Mexican, but… | 我不是墨西哥人 但… |
[11:10] | Please don’t bring Taco Tuesday into this. | 请不要把周二墨西哥卷饼日牵扯进来 |
[11:14] | Oh, come on, Calvin. We were having a good time. | 得了吧 卡尔文 我们本来挺愉快的 |
[11:16] | No, no. I-I am sick and tired | 不 不 我厌倦了 |
[11:19] | of black culture being taken from us. | 别人夺走我们的黑人文化 |
[11:21] | I mean, our food, | 我们的食物 |
[11:22] | our music, our clothes. | 音乐 衣着 |
[11:25] | White people even tried to take Tiger Woods | 白人甚至还想抢走老虎伍兹 |
[11:27] | and then tried to give him back! | 然后又要还回来 |
[11:32] | Calvin, I don’t think the chef is taking your food. | 卡尔文 我觉得这里的主厨没有抢走你的食物 |
[11:34] | I think he’s celebrating it. | 而是庆祝这种美食 |
[11:36] | Like how I play the maracas on Taco Tuesday. | 就像我在周二墨西哥卷饼日演奏沙槌一样 |
[11:41] | Look, I don’t care what you call it. | 我不管你们怎么说 |
[11:42] | I am done eating this chef’s food. | 我再也不吃这位厨师的食物了 |
[11:45] | It’s a good thing I kept a few bites of this menu. | 幸亏我还留了几口菜单 |
[12:00] | *Gabbin’ with Grover, Gabbin’ with Grover* | *葛罗弗唠嗑时间 葛罗弗唠嗑时间* |
[12:03] | *Gabbin’ our cares away.* | *把忧虑通通丢在一边* |
[12:07] | Dave, if you’re writing me another love song, | 戴夫 如果你又要给我写情歌 |
[12:09] | just know | 我想说 |
[12:10] | it’s gonna be tough to top last week’s. | 它很难超越上周那首 |
[12:14] | No. I’ve given up on that. | 不是 那个我已经放弃了 |
[12:16] | Nothing rhymes with Gemma. | 没有词跟杰玛押韵 |
[12:17] | It’s a real problem. | 真的很头疼 |
[12:19] | Some might call it a… | 这可以称之为 |
[12:21] | dilemma. | 骑”玛”难下 |
[12:24] | I mean, I guess. | 是吧 |
[12:27] | No, I’m-I’m rerecording the theme song to Grover’s podcast. | 不 我在给葛罗弗的播客重新录制主题曲 |
[12:31] | Why? | 为什么 |
[12:32] | I’m afraid that my rap version is appropriating black culture. | 我担心我的饶舌版本是在盗用黑人文化 |
[12:36] | Which is a shame, because it was straight fire. | 十分可惜 因为那歌屌爆了 |
[12:41] | I think you may be overreacting a little. | 我觉得你可能有点反应过度了 |
[12:42] | Well, maybe, but, you know, I don’t think it’s up to us | 也许吧 但是我觉得这样是不是很冒犯 |
[12:45] | to decide what’s offensive and what’s not. | 不由我们说了算 |
[12:48] | So what are you gonna do, | 那你准备怎么做 |
[12:49] | just stop using things that were invented by other cultures? | 再也不用其它文化创造的东西了 |
[12:52] | ‘Cause I don’t see you giving up your nunchucks. | 我可没看见你把双截棍扔掉 |
[12:56] | I’m gonna make an exception for those. | 我要为它们破例一次 |
[12:58] | It’s a matter of home security. | 这事关家庭安全 |
[13:01] | I just think maybe Calvin has a point. | 我只是觉得或许卡尔文说得有道理 |
[13:04] | Then why didn’t it bother Tina? | 那为什么缇娜没有这种烦恼 |
[13:06] | Well, maybe it did and she just didn’t say anything. | 或许她有 她只是没说出来 |
[13:08] | Really, Dave? I once saw her tell a librarian, | 是吗 戴夫 我有次看见她跟一个图书管理员说 |
[13:11] | “No, you keep it down.” | “不 你小声点” |
[13:14] | Well, in the librarian’s defense, | 从那个图书管理员的角度来说 |
[13:16] | that book was eight years overdue. | 那本书过期八年了还没还 |
[13:19] | Dave, sharing different cultures is a good thing. | 戴夫 分享不同的文化是件好事 |
[13:21] | If we all just stuck to our own little corners of the world, | 如果我们都坚守在世界的小角落里 |
[13:24] | there’d be no tolerance, no understanding, | 就没有宽容 没有理解 |
[13:27] | no progress. | 没有进步 |
[13:29] | I see your point. | 我懂你的意思 |
[13:31] | Maybe I should just keep rapping. | 也许我应该继续说唱 |
[13:35] | How ’bout we ask Tina about that? | 也许我们应该问问缇娜的意见 |
[13:42] | Are you watching Do the Right Thing? | 你是在看《为所应为》吗 |
[13:45] | I sure am. | 没错 |
[13:47] | Black actors with a black director | 黑人演员 以及靠贷款 |
[13:49] | who made his first movie on credit. | 制作第一部电影的导演 |
[13:51] | Now, that’s black. | 这才是黑人 |
[13:53] | Oh, so I see. | 我明白了 |
[13:55] | You’re still worked up about that chef being white. | 你还在为那个厨师是白人而生气 |
[13:57] | You’re damn right I am. | 你说得太对了 |
[13:59] | Why do you think I’m eating potato chips– | 不然你以为我为什么要吃薯片 |
[14:01] | invented by a black man– | 黑人发明的 |
[14:03] | dipping it in peanut butter– | 蘸花生酱 |
[14:05] | also made by a black man? | 也是黑人品牌的 |
[14:08] | Who knew legacy could be so delicious? | 谁能想到文化遗产如此美味呢 |
[14:12] | Oh, you don’t have to tell me. | 用不着告诉我 |
[14:13] | I used to eat that when I was pregnant with Marty. | 我怀马蒂的时候成天这么吃 |
[14:15] | Also made by a black man. | 马蒂也是黑人的产物 |
[14:19] | Look, Calvin, you got to let this go. | 卡尔文 你得放手了 |
[14:21] | No. I can’t. | 不行 我做不到 |
[14:23] | I-I’ve been thinking about this. | 我一直在考虑 |
[14:24] | And from now on, | 从今往后 |
[14:25] | if it’s not black-owned or black-invented, | 如果不是黑人老板或者黑人发明 |
[14:28] | we blackballing it. | 我们就拉黑名单 |
[14:30] | Calvin, baby, I respect what you’re trying to do, | 卡尔文 宝贝 我尊重你的想法 |
[14:32] | but you got to be more realistic. | 但是你得现实一点 |
[14:34] | No. No, what I got to do is remind this community | 不 不 我得提醒黑人社区 |
[14:37] | is that what we need to be doing is investing in ourselves. | 我们需要做的是投资我们自己 |
[14:40] | All right. I’m all for that. | 好吧 我完全同意 |
[14:42] | But you lay one hand on my Louis Vuitton bag, | 但你要是敢对我的LV包包下手 |
[14:45] | you coming back with a nub. | 我就把你的手剁了 |
[14:48] | I’m serious, Tina. | 我是认真的 缇娜 |
[14:49] | I’ve been up all night thinking about this, | 我整晚都在想这件事 |
[14:51] | and I’m not taking this laying down. | 我绝不会善罢甘休 |
[14:53] | All right. Fine. What you gonna do? | 行吧 你打算怎么做 |
[14:55] | I’m gonna take a stand. | 我要表明立场 |
[14:57] | Right after I take a nap. | 等我先睡一会儿 |
[15:00] | That peanut butter giving me the itis. | 花生酱吃多了犯困 |
[15:06] | Hey, man. I got your text. | 伙计 我收到你的短信了 |
[15:07] | You don’t want to go to the bar tonight? | 你今晚不想去酒吧吗 |
[15:09] | Ah, what’s the point, man? | 有什么意义呢 伙计 |
[15:11] | After gabbing with Grover, | 和葛罗弗唠嗑之后 |
[15:12] | I can’t stop thinking about how depressing my life is. | 我一直在思考自己的人生是多么压抑 |
[15:16] | I’m starting to get why Spencer didn’t invite | 我开始理解斯宾塞为什么没有 |
[15:18] | his little ass to his party. | 邀请他去参加派对了 |
[15:21] | Yeah, man, that interview really shook my confidence. | 是啊 那个采访真的动摇了我的自信 |
[15:24] | I haven’t felt this naked and exposed since… | 自从那次滑水以来 我还没有过这种 |
[15:26] | since the waterslide. | 赤裸裸的感觉 |
[15:29] | Hey, man, well, at least you have a job that you love. | 伙计 至少你有一份自己喜爱的工作 |
[15:32] | Yeah, but I can’t go on dates with my job. | 但是我不能和我的工作约会 |
[15:34] | My job can’t give me a hug after a long day at work. | 辛苦一天后 我的工作不能给我一个拥抱 |
[15:38] | My job c– Oh, no. Here come the waterworks. | 我的工作…不好 眼泪要出来了 |
[15:42] | Dude, dude. | 兄弟 兄弟 |
[15:42] | Marty, you don’t see me crying, | 马蒂 我还没哭呢 |
[15:44] | and I’m in a worse spot than you are. | 我的处境可比你糟多了 |
[15:46] | I was on track to be a pro baseball player, man. | 我本来可以成为职业棒球运动员的 |
[15:48] | Now I’m just a security guard. | 现在我只是个保安 |
[15:50] | Yeah, but think about it like this, | 是的 但你这样想想 |
[15:52] | most baseball players’ careers are over by the time they’re 30. | 大多数棒球运动员的职业生涯在30岁就结束了 |
[15:55] | You could be a security guard for the rest of your life, man. | 而你可以做一辈子的保安 |
[16:01] | You are lucky I’m too depressed to punch you. | 算你走运 我太压抑了无力揍你 |
[16:04] | Look, look. | 听我说 |
[16:05] | Malcolm, I know it’s not your dream job, | 马尔科姆 我知道这不是你梦寐以求的工作 |
[16:07] | but that doesn’t mean you won’t find it. | 但这并不意味着你找不到 |
[16:08] | It’s just… it’s just a matter of time before things turn around. | 事情出现转机只是时间问题 |
[16:12] | Yeah, I guess you’re right, man. | 我想你说得对 |
[16:14] | And don’t worry. You’re gonna find somebody. | 别担心 你会找到合适的人 |
[16:16] | The world is full of girls, man. | 这世上到处都是姑娘 |
[16:18] | One of ’em’s got to like you. | 总得有一个喜欢你的 |
[16:22] | You think she’s cute? | 你说会是美女吗 |
[16:23] | Oh, yeah. | 是啊 |
[16:25] | You know, in a nerdy, | 那种书呆子 |
[16:26] | comic book-loving, | 爱看漫画 |
[16:28] | headgear-wearing type of way. | 戴正畸牙套的美女 |
[16:32] | Yeah, she sounds hot. | 听起来很性感 |
[16:36] | You know what, man? | 这样吧 |
[16:37] | We should go to that bar. | 我们应该去酒吧 |
[16:38] | Yeah. Maybe my dream girl is there. | 是啊 也许我的梦中情人就在那里 |
[16:40] | Actually, my gut’s telling me she don’t get out much. | 其实我的直觉告诉我她不常出门 |
[16:47] | Lewis. | 路易斯 |
[16:49] | I heard you’re about to be a grandfather. | 我听说你要当爷爷了 |
[16:50] | That’s great. | 太好了 |
[16:52] | Chef’s white. | 主厨是白人 |
[16:58] | Mable? | 梅布尔 |
[17:00] | I ain’t seen you in a hot minute. | 好久不见 |
[17:02] | Have you lost weight? | 你瘦了吗 |
[17:03] | Chef’s white. | 主厨是白人 |
[17:08] | Calvin? | 卡尔文 |
[17:10] | What are you doing here? | 你在这儿干吗 |
[17:12] | I’m letting these people know | 我要告诉这些人真相 |
[17:13] | before they spend their black dollar | 以免他们把”黑钱” |
[17:15] | that the chef’s white. | 花在了”白主厨”上 |
[17:18] | Really? | 不是吧 |
[17:19] | Sabotaging this restaurant? | 妨碍这个餐厅营业 |
[17:21] | I can’t believe you. | 不可理喻 |
[17:22] | I can’t believe you either. | 你才不可理喻 |
[17:24] | Anyone who cared about me | 关心我的人 |
[17:26] | would not support this business or eat this food. | 不会来这里吃饭 照顾他们生意的 |
[17:29] | All right, Gemma, I’m ready to get my grub on… | 杰玛 我准备好大吃特吃了 |
[17:33] | Tina? You, too? | 缇娜 你也来了 |
[17:36] | I told you, Calvin. | 我告诉你了 卡尔文 |
[17:37] | This is your fight, not mine. | 这是你的战斗 不是我的 |
[17:38] | You know what, I can’t believe you two. | 你们俩真是不可理喻 |
[17:40] | I guess Dave is the only person I can count on. | 看来只有戴夫靠得住 |
[17:42] | Well, I got my antacids and… | 我带了抗酸药 还有 |
[17:48] | Am I the only one who cares what’s happening around here? | 只有我在意这家餐厅的问题吗 |
[17:51] | I mean, apparently, if the food is good enough, | 看来只要东西好吃 |
[17:54] | you don’t care if our culture’s stolen. | 就不用在意我们的文化被偷了 |
[17:57] | You know what, Calvin makes a good point. | 卡尔文说的有道理 |
[18:01] | It’s not stolen. | 这不是偷 |
[18:02] | I read that the chef’s from Louisiana. | 那个主厨来自路易斯安那 |
[18:04] | His recipes go back three generations. | 他是第三代传人了 |
[18:08] | Can’t argue with that. | 好有道理 |
[18:12] | I don’t care where he’s from. | 我不在乎他是哪里人 |
[18:13] | He’s just another white dude | 他不过又是一个搬进我们社区 |
[18:15] | moving into our community, trying to be down. | 想被大家接受的白人罢了 |
[18:18] | Doesn’t get more wack than that. | 这也太操蛋了 |
[18:26] | Look, Calvin, we hear you, | 卡尔文 我们明白 |
[18:27] | but what are we supposed to do, | 但我们能怎么办 |
[18:28] | stop going to white-owned businesses? | 不去白人开的店吗 |
[18:31] | Now, I don’t have anything against white businesses. | 我对白人开店没有意见 |
[18:34] | They take things back without a receipt. So… | 他们不要收据就可以退货 |
[18:39] | So if you’re not opposed to white businesses, | 既然你不反对白人开店 |
[18:42] | then what’s the problem? | 那问题在哪儿 |
[18:43] | The problem is | 问题在于 |
[18:44] | is that other people are profiting off our culture, | 他们在用我们的文化谋利 |
[18:47] | when it should be us. | 妨碍了我们的利益 |
[18:49] | Fine. I don’t see it that way. | 好吧 虽然我不这么想 |
[18:51] | But for the sake of our friendship, | 但我们毕竟是朋友 |
[18:53] | I’m willing to give up delicious ham hocks and pigs’ feet. | 我愿意放弃好吃的火腿肉和猪蹄 |
[18:57] | Two nights in a row. | 连着两个晚上都来 |
[18:58] | I’m glad our food’s got you coming back. | 很高兴你们喜欢我们的菜品 |
[18:59] | Yeah, well, sorry, Daryl. We’re actually on our way out. | 对不起 达瑞尔 我们要走了 |
[19:02] | Now, h-hold on, hold on. | 等等 等下 |
[19:05] | Can I ask you a question? | 我可以问你一个问题吗 |
[19:06] | – Do you like working here? – Yeah. | -你喜欢在这儿工作吗 -喜欢 |
[19:09] | Well, wouldn’t you rather be working for a black chef? | 你更愿意帮黑人主厨干活吧 |
[19:13] | That would be cool, but Chef Mitchell’s dope. | 那也不错 但是米切尔主厨很厉害啊 |
[19:15] | He’s teaching me a lot. | 他教了我很多东西 |
[19:16] | What can he teach you about soul food that your grandmama can’t? | 他教你的南方菜你奶奶教不了你吗 |
[19:20] | It’s not just about the food. | 不光是食物 |
[19:21] | You know, he’s also teaching me about the business. | 他也教我生意上的事 |
[19:23] | You never know, Mr. Butler. | 谁知道呢 巴特勒先生 |
[19:24] | Someday, you could be rolling up in my place. | 说不定有一天你会光临我的店呢 |
[19:30] | – You hear that, Calvin? – Yeah, I heard it. | -听到了吗 卡尔文 -听到了 |
[19:36] | Well, it sounds to me like this place | 听起来这里 |
[19:38] | is giving our people pretty good opportunities. | 给黑人提供了很多好机会 |
[19:40] | And the food is legit. | 而且食物很好吃 |
[19:42] | I-I said I heard it. | 我说我听到了 |
[19:47] | What do you say, Calvin? | 你说呢 卡尔文 |
[19:48] | It’s your call. | 听你的 |
[19:49] | Well, I did work up a pretty big appetite | 费了这么大劲影响这里的生意 |
[19:53] | trying to shut this place down. | 弄得我都饿了 |
[19:55] | Okay. We’ll take a table for four. | 我们要一个四人桌 |
[19:57] | Great. You can follow me. | 好的 跟我来吧 |
[19:59] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[20:00] | Hey, uh, Calvin, since… | 卡尔文 既然 |
[20:02] | I paid last time, tonight’s on you? | 上次是我付的 今晚你来吧 |
[20:04] | Well, I mean, chef’s white, you’re white. | 主厨是白人 你也是白人 |
[20:08] | Let’s just keep that going. | 那还是你来吧 |
[20:18] | Thanks for letting me interview you, Mr. Calvin. | 谢谢你接受我的采访 卡尔文先生 |
[20:21] | Oh, you got it, little man. | 不客气 小伙子 |
[20:23] | What I don’t understand is why you two want to be here. | 你们俩在这干什么 |
[20:28] | We just want to watch you do your thing, Pop. | 我们就是想看看 老爹 |
[20:32] | Yeah, Dad. You know, we just want to soak up | 是啊 老爸 我们只是想 |
[20:34] | some of that fatherly wisdom. | 吸取一下父辈的智慧 |
[20:38] | I am quite wise, aren’t I? | 我是挺有智慧的 是吧 |
[20:43] | All right, Grover. Fire away. | 好了 葛罗弗 开始吧 |
[20:45] | Okay, first question. | 好的 第一个问题 |
[20:48] | You’re funny and cool and everyone looks up to you. | 你风趣幽默又酷 大家都尊重你 |
[20:51] | Yeah, and? | 然后呢 |
[20:53] | Why didn’t Malcolm and Marty get any of that? | 为什么马尔科姆和马蒂没遗传到呢 |
[20:59] | How much time you got? | 我能说多长时间 |